2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.4/5 (587 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

The website isn’t user friendly at all, if you need to make any changes to your auto payment account, you need to call the customer service to make the change and generally wait time on the phone is quite long.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

On Saturday the 15th I left work early to get to the bank before they close at two, with the construction near by on randall rd I made it there at exactly 2:01 and apologized to the teller and asked if he could please deposit a check for me since it's only a minute past two and was told that they already closed up all the totals for the day, which I completely understood. I was told I could deposit the check through the app on my phone or the ATM so I tried both. Since I only have the basic checking account I was unable to make a deposit EITHER way for some reason.

This left me until today, Tuesday the 18th, without any money in my account whatsoever. I find this absolutely ridiculous. Not only when I deposit a check I have to pay $11 out of each check but I can't even have the convenience of having access to my money when I need it. I am a college student and full time employee. I feel something needs to be done about this and I am a very unhappy customer. I am switching banks as soon as I possibly can, and I will never use Fifth Third Bank again.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

08/17/2020 Lately I've been required to prove who I am to the tellers at the Fifth Third Mundelein branch. I provide my I.D. when requested. I request that the teller to put on gloves if they want to handle my I.D. Chuck ** the branch manager told me they don't have to and the teller didn't need to wear gloves. I've been banking there for 20 years. Why I need to be lied to and treated unprofessionally by the tellers (who all know me) is definitely the reflection of the branch manager. I would like the executive officers to review current videos of this branch.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Hi, Run as far away as possible from 53rd bank. They say they are doing banking 5th3rd better but it is 100% worst. I have applied for their credit card in October 2019 because of an ad they sent to my home address for balance transfer for 13months. I will list out the issues below latest to old:

1. Aug-2020 - When I logged into my online account, I couldn’t see my credit card account all of a sudden. When I called the agent (1) told my card is closed (After asking bunch of sensitive information) and he transferred me to credit card specialist (2) (he took again same sensitive information) and transferred me collections department (I was never late on payments) and collections department number, collections department agent (3) (after taking same sensitive information) transferred me to bank card agent (4), this guy just disconnected the call after taking all the information.

Now I called the number agent 2 gave me which is collections department agent (5), she asked all the data then said card is not in collections and transferred me to credit card agent (6), this guy also asked same information again and after a huge hold, he told card is revoked because of my credit (I never missed a payment, my credit is way better now than the time they actually issues the card – I will explain more in scenario 2). It took almost an hour going in circles and couldn’t find a valid answer and not even a single agent owned the issue and took responsibility.

2. May-June 2020 – I got a letter saying my credit limit is reduced. When I enquired they mentioned they had to reduce it due to my credit, I explained them that my credit is definitely way better now than the time card is actually issued (They might have changed their underwriting rules due to Covid, but they didn’t say that as reason). After escalating the issue multiple times, they said they need more time investigate and they never got back to me and closed my card as explained in the above scenario.

3. When I initially took the card in October 2019 because of 53rd balance transfer option. When I did balance transfer to my another credit card, it never posted to that card but balance is reduced on 53rd card and statement got generated. When I called they said they will send physical checks to other bank and check might not have delivered. They blamed it on me saying I gave wrong address of other bank. I had to explain that it is 53rd banks online system (I did balance transfer online) that automatically populated the address of bank when typed the name of the bank and suggested them they need to correct the data they have (It took ages explaining that to the agents and multiple calls), finally one agent understood the situation and reversed the charge (Thank god).

4. Apart from above scenarios, their audio quality when you call them is the worst (Even small stores have better quality than them).

5. I didn’t find single customer service agent who is willing to own an issue and try to help, they always transfer you to different department and make you roam in circles (It felt like they wanted to avoid situation as long as possible).

6. When we ask for escalation, they will say they will let their supervisor will call me, when they do call that person will say his/her supervisor needs to look into it (again circles).

Is there a way to contact their upper management to bring these issues to their attention, any help is appreciated, thank you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Always friendly, always ready to answer my questions and take care of my needs. Love the service, the building. Online is easy to deal with - even for seniors, female, blond....They are located conveniently, so I can go to their ATM everywhere. But I must say I love to go to my local bank, knowing the staff, my representative, and feel comfortable in that good old building. Glad they kept it up nicely.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have banked with Fifth Third for a few years now. My 20 yo son is a recent victim of a fraud scam. Someone reached out to him to “wrap his car” to advertise for them, then told him they would send a check for him to deposit. Since he is 20 and naive, he did not realize it wasn’t a legitimate company contacting him. Fifth Third flagged the fraudulent check and his account, told him there is a 10 day hold on the account and he may not access it, nor use his card. That, I understand. The local branch my son went into gave him a bunk number to contact the fraud department, which continued to go to voicemail and we both left numerous messages with no response. I am secondary on the account and I didn’t want them to take any funds out of my other two accounts to cover the fraudulent check.

I was finally able to get a hold of a human today at another number listed on their site. CSR explained because the check was over “x-amount,” my son will be reported to authorities and will most likely not be able to bank at any other financial institution.” My response was, “My son is the VICTIM of fraud. He didn’t deposit the check knowing it was fraudulent,” and I had to explain the scam to him. The CSR’s response was still, “Yeah, sorry. We’re still going to have to close his account and he will have to pay the $100 plus return fee, and he won’t be able to bank with our financial institution.”

I DON’T care about the $100, that can be repaid. I DON’T want my other two accounts drained to cover the fraudulent check and since he is the victim, it seems like they would take that into consideration. I will most likely be closing my other two accounts with them in the next couple weeks and banking elsewhere. If this is how they treat fraud victims, I don’t want to bank with them. Nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Fifth Third Bank is great. Every branch is open and inviting. The staff are always very welcoming and friendly. I have a checking, savings and credit card through Fifth Third Bank, and have never had a problem with any account.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I had a horrible customer service experience with Fifth Third Bank yesterday. I called the CS line at 53rd Bank when I noticed a hotel hold had not been released off my card over. 6 days. After being missed transferred and getting missed information on why hold which usually had been released was not and 3 hours later I spoke with the most rudest supervisor Ray. Not only was he unprofessional, confrontational and demeaned me for calling. This has to be the culture of his department because he practically dared me to report him. I so concerned because this person has access to my funds so I'm in the process of closing my account and going to another bank. I'm also subpoenaing the call recording so I have for future complaint process.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Fifth Third Bank has been great when I have a problem or need special attention from a representative. They are topnotch 5+. They handled fraudulent purchases and stolen cards very well. They were quick and decisive and replaced or changed cards in a hurry. They are attentive to all problems and their representatives and tellers are great. However, on day to day transactions they always seem to be short on tellers making waits longer than necessary. Their credit card policies are great (including free ATM or reimbursement at ANY ATM).

Original review: July 29, 2020

My experience that I have had with 5/3 they are qualified folks. I opened an account with 5/3 and I was informed that I would have a temporary pin for my online and go make one up online and if I did not that I would have to have it reset. So of course I did not follow instructions and procrasnated (spelled wrong) and that was the problem so the banker reset my pin and there was a email sent out and I read it wrong and reported a bad comment but I really need to APOLOGIZE. Because 5/3 was keeping me in the loop. So I want to THANK the people at this bank for the security they gave me.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Avoid Fifth Third Bank like the Covid-19 virus. They have thousands of negative customer complaints on BBB and other sites. The Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has filed a lawsuit against them for deceptive and illegal practices intended to churn up extra fees and charges. They just ripped off $15,000 from me from a mortgage principal payment I made by refusing to deduct it from the principal I owe and have so far refused to give it back or credit it claiming they are "investigating" my complaint.

A second grader could do the math showing $15,000 is missing. They have also so far refused to get back to my bank who can prove the payment was cashed by them by supplying copies of the cancelled check, front and back. I am trying to pay off the mortgage and cannot do that while they refuse to give an accurate payoff amount so they are getting additional interest they are not entitled to get. On top of that they are arrogant and obdurate in their conduct. **

Original review: July 28, 2020

Applied for loan on March 20 finally received confirmation. The week of July 10 we received confirmation that we were approved and had to wait another 7 days for federal guidelines we did and then I called and we set up closing for July 29 at 9:00 am in a local branch as per their guidelines. Also was required to open a bank account to get the rate promised. I did all of that only to get an email less than 48 hours telling me we do not meet their guidelines. I tried reaching out to the person who sent the email won't be back in office until July 29 day my closing was schedule. Try a few other numbers I have and after sitting on hold for 22 min reached someone who doesn't know when the guidelines changed but my info hasn't changed from when we were approved. The delay from March till now 4 months was on Fifth Third side. Just complete not the way a bank should do business.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I Have had mortgages and loans with FifthThird, along with several other accounts. Service has been great. Have never encountered a negative person. They are always ready to help with any questions or concerns.

Original review: July 19, 2020

We refinanced mortgage and were told our monthly mortgage payment would not go up..We received bill yesterday and it went up around $200..I do not recommended using them for mortgage..Also they charge way too many fees..As soon as we can refinance we will never use 5/3 again.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I have a car loan through this bank. I have NEVER had a late payment, yet they have charged me a $15 late payment fee EVERY MONTH! Their own website shows that I have made the payments on time. They have spoken to my husband several times about this and have not resolved the issue. Now we got a letter threatening to repossess the car if we don't make the "missing payments"! Unbelievable.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Before setting my mortgage with 53, I was aware of the terrible reviews they had online, but what they've done so far is beyond anything I imagined. If you decide to have a mortgage with 53, please make sure they'll make EVERY attempt to avoid mortgage pre-payment. It doesnt matter what they say, pre-payments are essentially impossible. Also impossible is to get someone to answer they call service or to return a call.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I just found out my credit card with 5/3 Bank was cancelled without notice, forfeiting all my cash reward points. Why? The simple reason I hadn't used it for a mere six months. I spoke to a customer service supervisor who said her name was Hope, who told me they had the right to cancel anyone's account at any time without notice. I told her I had been a loyal customer in good standing for several years but she would hear nothing of it. She refused to reinstate the account and refused send me a check for the cash rewards I am owed. I explained that part of the reason for the lack of use was due to COVID 19 but she couldn't care less. I asked to speak to her supervisor but she refused, stating I could only complain to the bank's president in writing and only by snail mail. She also refused to provide me with info on what government department to complain to.

This is without a doubt the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Many people due to COVID are not using their credit cards right now and unknowingly risk losing all their cash rewards, some totaling hundreds of dollars, through no fault of their own. The bank stands to reap millions of dollars in cancelled rewards by doing this. I had to find out for myself through the Internet that you can complain to the Federal Reserve Bank, so I did and expect to hear back from them within two weeks. You can also file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I will report back to this website on the outcome once I hear back from them.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I am absolutely furious with this whole company. I am especially furious with Ms. Elyse **, part of the PPP (Paycheck Protection) in Tampa Fl. I reached out to her a month ago and I have email records of all the conversations we had. She had me running in circles looking for information that I had the entire time yet and she never specified what I need! Not only did she hand me off to some new person who had no understanding of my situation, she conveniently did so right NEAR THE DEADLINE of this application. Then Mr. Michael ** in FL was rarely a help, I sent him everything and he never got back to me but at least he let me know that I needed the tax information that Ms. Elyse never asked for, information I had the entire time.

It is a complete lack of respect to have me running around in circles, passing me off to another person and hand waving me until THE DEADLINE OF THIS APPLICATION. We are a small business going through as much as everybody else is and I do not understand what kind of customer service exists here that allows this kind of thing to happen. I have a record of every single email and you can guarantee that I will take this as far up as I can and make sure that those responsible for not helping me with this application will be reprimanded.

I will no longer be doing business with Fifth Third Bank and I really hope this serves as a wake-up call to their abysmal customer service and you can guarantee that I will leave as many bad reviews on as many of their branches as possible to prevent this from happening to somebody else. I feel taken advantage of and played just because I am a Latina woman, whatever your reason for doing this I genuinely hope nobody has to go through what you've just put me through.

Original review: June 16, 2020

5/3 Bank is by far the worst bank I've dealt with for credit cards. From the time I opened my credit card account in 2015 until present (2020) I've had nothing but frustrating experiences. They've caused my 100% Payment history to drop due to their faulty online payment system and showed no remorse or tried to work with me upon disputing the late payment several times. This resulted in me using my credit card very sparingly because I wasn’t confident that 5/3 would provide a seamless online payment experience in the future.

More recently, when I went to make a purchase using me 5/3 credit card, my purchase was declined (embarrassing). I called 5/3 Bank regarding the issue and they notified me that my card had been closed due to inactivity. They closed my card in the middle of the COVID-19 Pandemic when I, like most of the country was in quarantine, when most businesses were closed therefore bringing commerce to a standstill, at a time when job security was on the line. Given everything happening in the country, racking up a balance on a credit card was the last thing on my mind.

In addition to this, it hasn't even been a year since the last time I made a credit card purchase and the account hasn’t been closed for more than a month. I called 5/3 Bank to see if they could work with me and re-issue a new credit card given the circumstances and the answer was, of course, no. 5/3 Bank has never been willing to work with me, even when they've dropped the ball. How can a company pride themselves on 'putting customers first' and making banking 'a 5/3 easier' if they don't practice what they preach? 5/3 Bank has done nothing but put me at a disadvantage with my credit profile, which means everything to someone who doesn’t come from a line of wealth. 5/3 Bank has by far been the worst experience I’ve had with a Bank/Credit Card company. Never Again.

Original review: June 8, 2020

My home mortgage loan was transferred a couple of years ago to Fifth Third Bank. I have dealt with many mortgage services banks in my lifetime but, Fifth Third is the worst. I have to remind them to pay the real estate taxes and insurance, automated payments have been duplicated, automated payments have disappeared. They send letters telling me I do not have homeowners insurance and on and on. Every issue takes quite a long time to resolve with a customer service rep. They do have some decent service reps but there are many that could perform in a skit on SNL. I am at the point now of going to another institution, 5/3 is really that bad. If you have a choice stay away from them.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Not only was my client's lender trying to commit mortgage fraud, he refused to communicate with anyone. By far my worst experience in my entire career as a broker. He repeatedly missed dates and refused communication risking my client's earnest money repeatedly.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Today I wanted to pay off my car. I do not use their online banking site and I tried to in order to pay it off but impossible as I only have a car loan so you can't create an online login. I called the 800 number in coupon book - finally after listening to everything but a human, I got a human. I told her I wanted to go over my last two payments as I had a credit for a canceled extended warranty and wanted to ensure it was there. It was. I received my payoff number for today, but she said I had to go into a lobby to pay or login to pay the car off. I told her I choose not to go into the bank to pay as I wanted to pay it off online due to virus. The bank lobby is not open anyway. Well, I told her, "I can't create an online account. Could you help me do so since it won't let me." She hung up on me! So I have no idea how to pay this car off but to go on my Wells account and pay more than I owe to ensure I pay enough and wait for a slight refund.

If companies choose to do business during the virus, you better figure out how to collect payments for all types of your loans that need to be paid off and not leave a customer stranded. Customer service in USA for the most part is horrible during normal times, but with the Covid19 it is Way Worse! They use it as an excuse to give far worse service than ever before. I will Never do any business with 5th 3rd again.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Fifth Third Bank is the worst banking institution that exists on the face of this earth. Their customer service is the worst, highly unprofessional and rude. It's like their management handpicked mentally challenged and retarded personal who cannot answer a simple question, don't even try asking them to do some minor banking. They got me so frustrated and mad with their stupidity that I had no choice than to decide to go ahead and close all my accounts with them and take my business somewhere else. Stay away!!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

Sent an insurance check and repair bill to the bank who lost it, twice. Called a lot: was referred to mortgage dept, message left with phone # not taking calls four times, and never got questions answered.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I wish I would have read these reviews in December 2019 then I would have ripped their "credit card offer" to shreds and threw it in the trash where it belonged. For those who may need extra cash right now and in the future there are other viable options to get financing that are consumer and credit friendly and not greedy or abusive.

1. One Main Financial, great simple service.
2. Prosper, will definitely stay in touch quick funds.

3. Credit Unions, great products and service usually small so they welcome your business.

Fifth Third is running a scam. They should call it "ghost lending". Here's what they're doing. They rely on the principle of OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND. They target customers with good credit scores but have very high utilization. Knowing these customers are loaded already with various monthly payments and communications from several creditors each month they offer the target customer a credit card with a minimal limit of 500.00 which is thousands below the targeted customers other perfect longstanding credit card accounts. Fifth Third mails a card for the customer to use which does not require set up of a pin to begin using. They then without the customers consent change the contact info on the account so when the customer calls in to service the account the rep can't help them without the completion of a fake verification.

The customer becomes frustrated or irate because of the implications this nightmare account will have on their personal credit file. The rep then hangs up on the customer causing the customer loss of time and effort and with many other important obligations the customer moves on. God forbid the customer is out of state like I currently am because the only thing you will get to remind you of this 35.00 minimum payment is a bill in the mail.

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND. I mean NO emails, NO calls, NO text reminders, NO help with online access, NO real answers to your questions, NO courtesy from reps who hang up on you without a thought because you're irate that they're screwing you. NO trust and will say you're lying about not changing your phone number. The trap is then complete and the credit score is ruined because the first two requests for payment were not received by the targeted customer. No late payments in my credit file for almost 7 years until Fifth Third came along in January 2020 with it's invitation to GHOST LENDING!!! At a time when COVID impacted so many of us these crooks crawl from under their rocks! Check them out!! https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/fifth_third.html.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I received my PPP loan and it was deposited through my new 5Th Third bank account which is a new business account. I started withdrawing money and paying bills and employees and they froze my account. I am a small business owner that has employees that have not been paid in weeks. I started paying them and they froze my account and no one has given me a reason why! I am sure that they can see this is a loan and who it was deposited by! The banker asked me where I got so much money. I told him it was a PPP loan. He continued to argue with me and refused to give me cashiers checks to pay my employees. I went to the branch where I opened my account to find out they had blocked my account. This is money to pay my employees and businesses expenses because of Covid19.

Original review: May 1, 2020

I've had Fifth Third bank for 6 years and now I'm so disappointed that I have to close all three of my accounts with them. I went to a branch here in Orlando and my card got stuck in their machine. All I did was insert the card and it did absolutely nothing. I wasn't even able to do a transaction. I let the tellers know, they checked the machine and said they couldn't find the card. Then they proceeded to ask me what kind of card it was and I when I told them it was not a 5/3 card, they said they could not give me back my card even if they did find it. What kind of nonsense is that? Then one of the tellers was laughing and saying that I would have to call customer service. I was livid.

This a time where everyone is having issues and need their money and you're going to laugh in my face when my card is stuck in your machine and I really needed that card to get the money? That is totally unacceptable. To top it off the card is from a U.S. territory and it takes forever to even get a hold of someone to request a new card. And this is all because they refuse to give me the card back even though their machine had a problem. I spoke to customer service and they said the same thing and was rude as well. It's shame how they handled this situation and I have no intentions on banking with them ever again. Their standards have really dropped over the years.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I had an access 360 card provided by a 3rd party. Somebody tried to make a charge on my card. The card was closed near the end of February. I was told it would take 7- 10 business days to get a new card. After 2 weeks when I had not received the card I called again. They were sending me another card. I was also told by them AND 5th 3rd that the money would be transferred to my checking account. I also told 5th 3rd to close the savings & checking accounts. I was told this couldn't be done as long as all 3 accounts had money in them.

After 2 weeks the card finally arrived, but the money had not been transferred. I was told a few times by both that it would be done. But it never happened. When I received the card I put the money from savings and checking into the 360 card. I used the card towards a bill & all 3 accounts were empty. I called 5th 3rd to close out the accounts. This was near the end of March. It was a month AFTER being told the card would be mailed. Due to transportation issues I had problems getting to a branch. Today I received a notice that 5th 3rd was charging me $11.00/month for each account. When I called I was told the accounts have not been closed. I had to go to a branch & pay money that had been charged after I told them to close the accounts.

Original review: April 20, 2020

My mortgage was purchased by Fifth Third Bank 8 months ago. Nothing was seamless. They were unable to carry over auto payments, but did not inform me. They could not carry over insurance information. When you reach customer service, they claim to resolve the issue and then you receive yet another threatening letter because they did not. Buyer Beware! Will be refinancing in order to remove the huge hassle.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Every time I call I get an attitude from a rep after answering about 6 or 7 security questions after I have already put in my personal information on the automated phone system. Their technology along with the knowledge of the reps is below par. I had to explain about interest rates and the guy (Haung?) had no software on his computer to help even though he was a manager for loans. Terrible service. Closing all accounts!!

Fifth Third Bank Company Information