3.7/5 (497 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: June 29, 2022

If I could give this bank a 0-star rating, I would. I've had nothing but issues. I've spent 3 hours on hold trying to in touch with their online security department. I still could not get a human person. My insurance company sent a bill to them to pay from my escrow account. After one month, it was still unpaid, and the bank purchased insurance for me to "protect their interest". It wasn't until I called in and complained before they did something. I also sent a note to email contacts, but it remains unanswered. All I can hope is my loan is transferred.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Major problems with basic areas of customer service. Poorly handled my escrow, insurance notification from HOA, unauthorized charges through autopay, corporate office inept at processing basic functions and services to the account. Very unhelpful and shady practices with charging customers for insurance that is the legal responsibility of the HOA. This after sending them 2 different declarations of insurance, from both the HOA and StateFarm of the insurance, to the FA number they provided.

Then followed by their unauthorized taking of money from the Autopay system that was set up for the mortgage payments. They are typically slow to incompetent, at times rude, argumentative, surly and unethical. All of which led me to the only way to deal with their sorts, filing complaints with the FTC, Illinois Attorney General, Consumer Protection Agency, Consumer Affairs and class action. Don't walk, RUN, from having anything to do with 5th/3rd Bank.

Original review: June 2, 2022

A couple of months after purchasing a new home, we received a letter that Fifth Third took over our mortgage. Since then, it has been pulling teeth to get anything from them, from updating our contact information, to paying our escrow. There is no online account portal and each contact for them is a different email domain, which they never respond to. An agent told me in August that our supplemental/reassessment would be worked into our escrow and to just give it time. When I called back in November after receiving a delinquency notice, they said to send in the bills to email and it would be handled. It wasn't.

Now, I just received another delinquency notice with nearly $500 in extra late fees, and their agent on the phone told me they never pay these and will take no responsibility. I asked why they didn't tell me that in August or November and why they didn't reply to my email and their response was "is there anything else I can help you with today?" Go with a different bank.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I've had mortgage with the bank for several years and just closed it couple of weeks ago. Had to call them up to find the homeowner's policy number. The first time the agent on the line was very sarcastic and rude, saying she doesn't know anything and transferred me to the insurance department without giving me the policy number. I had to stay on the line for 25 minutes and nobody ever answered. The second time the agent was as rude, she finally gave me the policy number but before that she asked me one million unnecessary questions about my current email, address, work phone, mobile phone a bunch of two step verifications on the account that had been already closed! Which is ok, fine it's for security reasons. And after giving me the policy number she basically hung up. Worst customer service ever. I would never use their services ever again and would discourage anybody to ever use them.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I will keep my review brief. Virtually all of the 1-2-3 star reviews on this site cover experiences I have had. Up front I will tell anyone who has had a bad experience to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the consumer protection office of your state Attorney General, your congressman/Senator's office if they support consumers. This Bank has no respect for its customers. They care about those other reporting avenues and trends show a pattern of damaging conduct to consumers whether they are legal or just plain unethical.

I have had a mortgage with them for 12 years. They have always been poor with communicating anything urgent (payment change, payment receipt issue). Last month they did not apply my normal overpayment to my mortgage. I had no notifications in my electronic account, email and they left no messages when they called from spam numbers (they said it's against their policy to leave a voicemail message for a customer- seems like they have no real interest in getting a response).

I found out the payment was being held by accident when I logged in (after calling to reset my account after being locked out as usual because their IT systems are terrible). I made an immediate payment which they made the excuse of waiting to apply until Monday assuring they could count me late. Their justification being they couldn't take a payment on a non business day- funny they can set a due date on a non business day. Isn't that a racket- set a date you can't pay on and then count you as late. Their calls come from literal spam callers and if you pick up there is dead silence for 15-30 seconds making you think robo call and you just hang up. There is no way to know they are trying to reach you. They put no notifications in the online account.

I have yet to see them send out a timely mail notification. There is no post mark on the mailing to maximize their ability to feign they have followed the bare minimum of the law to send out a notice. But their actions are clear, do everything possible to reduce the probability that the consumer can respond- and why? My opinion, damage credit reports to ensure consumers are forced into high fee predatory financial products. It dropped my credit report 80 points. This bank is literally the only late reporting I have on my report. They have done this twice in 4 years. My recommendation is to avoid all business with this Bank. If you need more review input just google the bank and lawsuits and look through reviews on multiple sites. The abusive treatment of customers is a large clear trend.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I have never liked Fifth Third Bank ("5/3"), so when my mortgage was sold to them this past February I was not happy. I have now been paying them for 3 months---by the way, I did not get a letter from Fifth Third until the middle of March (6 weeks after they bought my mortgage), so if the prior mortgage company had not called me I would have not known until I missed a payment (I had automatic payments). I cannot get automatic payments with 5/3 because I do not have a 5/3 account. My escrow payment went up this month, which is not unusual, but I had no notice from 5/3.

It is my understanding that the mortgage company needs to give you notice of the increase at least 1 month prior to the new payment and give you the opportunity to pay off the shortage without increasing the monthly payment. When I called 5/3 the Customer Service Professional ("CSP") advised that a notice was sent out, although she was not sure of the date. It is May 9, and I have not yet received it. The CSP also let me know that because my next payment is not due until June 1, a one month's notice was given, although, again, she is not sure when the notice was sent out (however, apparently it was sent after the mortgage statement was sent).

Just as a side note, I also had a auto loan through 5/3, and it was just as bad of an experience then. I made a payment over the phone, and got the confirmation number and went on vacation. 5/3 called me while I was on my vacation to let me know my car would be repossessed because I did not make my car payment. I told them who I spoke with, but did not have the confirmation number with me. I therefore made another over the phone payment so my car would not be repossessed one we returned home. I checked my bank account, and, lo and behold, 5/3 had not taken out the payment.

My whole experience with 5/3 through they years has been one of ineptitude of the employees. I don't know if they just don't care, or if they are just that bad. In any event, I would love to refinance with someone else, but now the rates are higher, and so I am stuck with 5/3. I did ask them to sell my loan, but, of course, they CRP does not have the authority to do that or the ability to put me in contact with someone who can. I am not sure with their "making banking 5/3 better" means because of I dealt with many banks who are much better than 5/3.

I will admit that I am not the easiest customer to deal with when I am upset, but I have never had a pleasant experience with 5/3 --- except when I opened my account (which I have since closed). They were very nice then.

Original review: May 5, 2022

This banks fees are too expensive. $37 overdraft fee and if you can't afford to bring the account back to zero, that will be another $25 "overdraft extended" charge EVERY week in addition to the $11 monthly service charge. Try having covid and being out of work for a while and deal with unsympathetic reps who tell you "there is nothing they can do". They reversed two of those charges, but would not budge to do anything else to help me in my situation. Including rude customer service reps who threaten to send your information to collections.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Customer service whether in the branch or on the phone through the 800 number is just horrible. They place holds on checks after you’ve been banking with them for four years and never placed holds on them before. With no excuse as to why other than they did it. No help whatsoever other than, "If you end up with NSF fees we will see if we can reverse that." I’ve never had such issues with banks not wanting to help clients especially when they’re placing money in accounts. I will never bank with them. I will never suggest them and I will be pulling all of my money from every account I have.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Had auto loan with them for a couple years. Paid in full and never late. Had to write the Minnesota Attorney General to get a pay off letter from them. The letter was poorly written and only referenced the account, not the car. Calling them doesn't work. They tell you they will do it and then don't. Many calls were endless waits on line followed by a message that says "we are closed call back tomorrow". You can do better than this lender, even if you pay a higher interest rate.

Original review: March 26, 2022

The mobile app for my small business account hasn't worked for over three months. I have spent over 20 hours on the phone with agents and supervisors. The last "Tech" guy said that they cannot figure out why the app isn't working for small businesses. Maybe 3/5 is a better estimate of how well they work for their customers.

Original review: March 25, 2022

My mortgage was sold to Fifth Third Bank. Since it has been sold, I have suffered issues with my payment not being applied to my loan every time. I get calls monthly about the payments only to be told "oh yes, I see it here" and some other spiel about getting someone to fix it. This month, I got the call as expected, given the same line. Then a week later was told that my payment was returned to me. I told the CSR that was funny because I don't have the money in my bank account nor did I receive a refund check. Then while I was waiting for the CSR to 'investigate', because they don't have access to the notes from the last call I received, the person hung up on me. If I could re-fi my mortgage again, I would. This is bank is so technologically inferior between their website and customer systems, I just want to cry. I even tried to set up Auto Draft, what a joke. If you don't have a Fifth Third account you have to FAX in a paper form and pray.

Resolution response: March 22, 2022

This turned out to be an issue my other bank account not 5/3.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I did a funds transfer from one of my banks into 5/3. The funds never showed up but my bank sent them successfully. I called to speak with a manager only to wait for them for 2hrs(yesterday). Then when I speak to them they say there is nothing they can do. Even after they spoke with my other bank over the phone. I asked the manager at 5/3 Aaron to hold on while I was driving to my bank. He told me he would only hold for two minutes. After I had to wait the day before 2hrs to speak with a a manager and no one ever came on the line. I eventually hung up and called them today when I spoke to Aaron (** id)and he provided abysmal service. I’m closing my account.

Original review: March 21, 2022

My mortgage was sold to Fifth Third Bank, I did not choose this bank. I try to pay extra on escrow and mortgage and there isn't a way to do this on the website. You have to call every time to pay extra. When I called the customer service representative said my account would go through an annual escrow review but he didn't know when. Kept insisting on me not paying extra on my escrow. My taxes went up and I KNOW escrow will be more than what they are requiring me pay, therefore I am paying extra. After I gave the customer service rep all of my payment information which included my checking account he asked if he could put me on hold and hung up on me. This is only my 2nd payment with this company. I truly hope the situation gets better.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I started out with great expectations after receiving great customer service at the branch I used to open my account. My first bad experience was not receiving my debit card for almost 2 months. The next was not being able to withdrawal money with my license because the system was down either citywide or nationally. I was supposed to pick my car up from the shop that day but instead I got to sleep outside because I could not withdraw any of the 2,000 or more in my account.

Next was not being able to use Zelle even though I had money and had already set everything up, this was fixed by a helpful manager. Now a check I deposited 7 days ago is being held because of fraud prevention. Oddly the check I deposited the week before cleared in 4 days. Both checks are payroll checks cut by Bank of America. How can it be fraud if they already cleared the first check. I have called customer service and went to a local branch, both said I am ** out of luck. I say it is Fifth Third that should be investigated for fraud. I will take my 1000 plus weekly deposits elsewhere.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I have my mortgage thru 53. I paid early one month and the new due date reflected it. Auto-pay still deducted and over-drafted my account. Spoke with 3 people online for over an hour, transferred twice and got nowhere. Called in, took 15 minutes hold to speak to a real person. Real person promised me the auto-payment would be refunded, as well as the overdraft fee. Ok, logged in next day, no refund, new overdraft fee. Called in again, was given a case # and told that overdraft would be refunded.

They play around with your hundred thousand dollar loan, and can't even do what they say they are doing. There is a reason I use 2 other banks to move money into 53, because I would rather keep my money under my floorboards than with this bank. Also had a horrible experience opening a simple checking account, they hound you like crazy to put money in it, and then can't close it even if you want to. I don't understand how banks like this still exist, or why on god's green earth anyone would ever choose to bank with them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I had a car loan thru 5/3. I traded the car in the 1st week of the month. They took a payment out on the 26th of that same month. Reaching them is an arduous task on its own. The website is useless. Upon finding the correct number to call, which was not as simple as it may seem, then navigating their computer call mess, I reached an actual human, who when I asked about the payment, told me I needed to call the dealership of my new car, as the bank only processed their payment as of the 26th, so the payment taken out on the 25th was rightfully taken out. I then had a supervisor tell me the same thing, but once I became infuriated, she made the comment about having an overpayment...this was what I called about from the start, so being told I need to contact the dealership was a misdirection tactic to get me off the phone. I will NEVER deal with this bank again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

They are the worst bank. I don't know why I've stayed with them, I should have left a long time ago. I've had many issues with them over the years. Their customer service is the worst - long wait times and they really don't care about your problem. They just want to get you off the phone. Recently my husband and my cards were compromised. I called to get a new card last week and they have no record that I called to request a new card. 8 business days before they'll review your claim when someone spent over $300 of our money - thieves!! You'd think 5/3 would be sympathetic - they aren't. ZERO stars. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Their automated service is awful. It says type in your number. I begin to type it in then it says transferring your call. Then they have my old phone number on file that I can't use or have access to. They want me to call them off of that phone number. I've told them a hundred times I can't use it. I switched numbers. They want me to go to a bank to get my online banking set up because of this issue, but the nearest bank is over an hour away and I don't have time for that. This bank is aggravating.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Fifth Third Bank provides the worst customer service ever. Website? Impossible to navigate. Customer service? Asks redundant questions from overseas employees. Get switched over to 30 different departments. Truly stay away from their products. They just suck.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Now my experience with my local branch was 5/5 stars. I want everyone to know that. The teams there locally were incredible and did everything they could. My local branch was the Mooresville, NC location. Sadly on the back end with customer service, I can't say the same. They had a promotion that if you direct deposit $500 in 60 days, you'd get $300 for free. I was very excited about this. I had issues with the start of my job and their pay cycle and sadly my second check hit just 3 days after the 60th. Making it 63 days. I called to ask if they could go as far as maybe doing a one-time thing and making it overridden. They told me no. When I told them I would close my account out over this, cause that's not going above and beyond they were like "kay, have a nice day hun, bye" in a very "ya ya, we've heard that before", attitude.

Very sad, that they couldn't go ahead and give some leeway on just the few days. Even Bank Of America has done favors for me like this in the past. So sadly ya, I'm going to close out my account and go elsewhere. I hate feeling entitled cause that's not who I am, I know I don't deserve it. However, I've always been about giving the best customer service in my business and I'd do a "leeway-time" of around a week to ten days. Just me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I had an issue with my checking account that I could have resolved saving me stress, anxiety, and overdraft fees. Since many were unclear and I received different answers from EVERY representative I spoke to (even a branch manager). I ended up with a negative balance and overdraft fees I plan to dispute (wasting more of my time) on top of the long hold times (in an excess of 30 minutes) for telephone bankers. Not to mention they locked me out of my account online and canceled my debit card without any notification whatsoever. This bank is very unprofessional.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Worst bank ever! We went for a home equity line of credit and own two homes outright with no mortgage. We have guaranteed income deposited from pension every month. We were doing home renovations and needed the line of credit. In early September they pulled our credit which was great! We had to put the Hurricane windows and doors on our credit cards because they took so long in closing. It took them over 140 days due to them. So needless to say say they had to run our credit reports again because they took so long which of course went down since we had to put the windows on credit waiting for so long for this loan only to find out 4 months later it was being denied. Stay away from this bank!!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Fifth Third bank is awful to work with. In order to set up mortgage auto-pay with a non-Fifth-Third bank, you have to mail them a paper form. Once auto-pay is activated there is no notification. I have also had issues getting my bank set up as a payee. Customer service is no help. They just want to get me off the phone. In order to fix my payee I was told I have to go to a branch in-person to get it fixed. If you have a choice, go elsewhere. Fifth Third couldn't care less about making banking easy for you. Instead of making "your day a fifth third better", they do three-fifths of the work, so you get five thirds the inconvenience.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

The fees for my account were excessive. I called to close the account and was told I had to come into the branch to close it. Note- I am 80 years old and we are in the midst of a covid epidemic. Went in to close the account and was told it was closed. A month later I was again billed and was told I had missed the close date by 1 day. I was told I had to come back in to close the account. What a scam! Stay away from this bank.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I was convinced to take out a small business association loan for my real estate company during COVID. I was only eligible for $4,700. The man taking the application told me that everything would be forgiven and I would not owe anything at the end. Struggling with my other job, I took it the loan out. I tried to send in the proper paperwork. No one knew what I needed to send in, no one could answer any questions, and the final call I had was with the sales rep that took the application that actually laughed in my face. They were are still all are clueless.

I'm currently paying it off at $500 a month. They want it paid off within approximately 6 months. I was only forgiven for about $1,700 of it. No one can help me and no one is willing to help me. This was a total scam. I should have never done it. I have to borrow from another credit card just so I'm not paying these $500 a month payments and their high interest charges as well. I would never recommend using Fifth Third for any kind of loan. My next step will be to go to the media to make everyone aware of 5/3rd Banks.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I requested a call back from the mortgage department (bot noted a 9-18min wait time) when the next representative becomes available. The rep that called back, stated that she is not in the mortgage department, and transferred me over for a 49 minute hold!!! Not sure about you folks, but my time is valuable. When I noted this to the rep that finally took my call, she lacked empathy hence my rave review.. Not the kind of people I want to do business with. The entire point of a call back is to avoid this rigmarole. Please get your process together. Everything is automated and we are still being channeled inappropriately. Happy Customers will remain loyal and lasting, otherwise we exit!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Well calling them could take 2 to 3 hrs literally. I was on hold once for over an hour then hung up on. They talk to you like you're bothering them. No, "Hello. How are you." No, "Thank you." They take forever to process payments that I send. Don't wanna hear it's the pandemic because other banks are not like that. I refinanced in my credit union which was always quick, polite and professional.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

The worst customer service and the highest charge service fees. Another words- legal racket. Very soon probably this bank will go out of business. Stay far away from Fifth Third Bank. Lots of hidden fees!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

This bank is awful. My first red flag was that when I went to pull out money for my wedding on a Saturday, they capped the amount at $1000. I asked if I could talk to someone who could override this amount as I needed the money to pay off the venue and I was told that there was nothing that anyone could do but that they could write a cashier’s check for the amount I wanted (7K) and charge me for the privilege. It wasn’t until I got a little loud and frustrated that this option was even presented to me, but I paid for a check from my own account so that I could get the venue settled.

Eight months later, I go to deposit the checks that I received from the wedding. My husband also has an account at 5/3rd so I thought nothing of depositing all of the checks with my signature and account number into my account through the ATM on Saturday. Of the 18 checks that I deposited 4 were rejected 2 business days later, over 1K dollars’ worth. I call the 5/3rd in South Holland where I had deposited the checks. They say, "Oh no one here can help you, you need to call corporate customer service", and they give me the number. I call the number, after being on hold for 20 minutes Frankie answers the phone. I explain the problem. He says “ok, well I documented the problem; we will look into it, and mail you a response.” Um, no. That is not helpful.

So I ask him, if he doesn’t have the authority to fix it, can he please direct me to a person who does. I am put on hold for an additional 20 minutes. He gets back on the line and states that I need to go into the bank in South Holland with my husband, both of our IDS, and the marriage certificate and find someone who knows how to override the computer's decision to block the checks. I clarify his response by stating “Ok, so you want me to go to the bank and explain to someone how to do their job.” He says, yes that most likely the checks were refused because the names didn’t match and to just explain that and someone at the bank will be able to fix it. Ok, a pain in the **, but ok.

I take a ½ off from work because my husband was off that day and we usually don’t have the same time off. We rush to the bank. I talk to a teller. She states that there is nothing that can be done. So, admittedly in a loud angry tone, I say no, that is not acceptable. Someone has to be able to override the computer and accept the checks and have them deposited back into my account. She says, she will get someone to talk to me. A minute later a woman and a security guard approach me and explain that the ATM system is subcontracted out and that there is nothing anyone can do and if I continue to be loud they will kick me out of the bank.

Mind you, I was being loud, but I was not using inappropriate language and was just genuinely trying to get MY money put back into MY account. She stated that eventually the bank will mail me back the checks and then I could possibly try to get them deposited at that time. I said that doesn’t sound like a plan at all. I need that money to pay off bills from the wedding, my mail service is terrible and ½ the time I don’t even get mail. She said that is not her fault and to contact the Post Office. WTF.

So I called the bank they said they couldn’t help, I called corporate they said to go to the bank because they couldn’t help, then in person no one could help but maybe they could help in a few weeks, but not on Saturday because no one that has any authority works on Saturday. So in a few months once I figure out a way to get this resolved I will be banking elsewhere. Been at the South Holland bank since I was a kid, over 40 years. What a shame. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!! I never write reviews like this, but felt morally obligated to do so. I can’t believe this is legal.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Worst bank I have dealt with over 60 years. If you respond to an online bonus offer for opening an account and establishing a direct deposit, they may find a excuse not to pay it, as happened to me. After clawing through many layers of their bloated bureaucracy, I was told that there was no “digital” evidence of me responding to the offer properly. This is utter nonsense and I will never do business with them again. Beware.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information