2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (585 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: July 7, 2021

My account was closed with Fifth Third bank on 6/9/2021 for an incident that was a misunderstanding. I tried to talked to customer service about this. On 6/8/2021, a friend wrote me a check to help me bring my account to the positive. He accidentally wrote me a check from a closed account. Innocent mistake since he has more than one account with the bank he does business with. Fifth Third immediately closed my account. When I called and spoke to customer service, I was treated with contempt and hostility. They threatened me by saying I will never be able to open another bank account elsewhere and they were going to report me to the Chex System.

I continue to receive bills from them. The amounts vary invoice by invoice. When I went to check my Chex report, they reported on 6/29/2021 with an unpaid balance of $272.92. I feel that as a consumer I am being bullied and discriminated against by this bank. I would leave them negative stars if I could. I am warning anyone who would consider banking with this joke of a bank to reconsider.

Original review: July 5, 2021

We had recently fallen behind on bills, but we were able to catch up and being the balance that we owed back to zero. They took their money, we are completely current with our loan and they repossessed my car this morning. I am being told there is nothing I can do, even though they show we are current with our payments and we have a confirmation number showing the payment was made.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I deposited a cheque and was expecting my money 2 to 3days but this useless bank turned it to 12days before I could get my money. I needed money to buy my prescription and I couldn't buy my prescription because the bank was holding my own money. A friend of mine that we got this cheque together at work cashed her cheque next day from different bank. Fifth Third is a scam.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I have been fighting identity theft since 2017 after my license and social security card were stolen from my car after an accident, along with a couple other documents. Someone opened an credit card account at Fifth Third IN MY NAME. Obviously, without my authorization. On May 21, 2021, I sent them a letter after reviewing my credit report and seeing the account. It was only active for a couple months.

After 30 days with no response AND NO NOTICE ON MY CREDIT REPORT THAT THE ACCOUNT WAS IN DISPUTE AT ANY TIME FROM THE DATE I SENT IT TO TODAY, I filed a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Stephanie, a representative from Fifth Third Bank, called me this morning claiming they sent a response denying my claim to the “address on file.” Guess what?! Not my address! She verified that it was not my address WHICH IS THE ADDRESS ON THE DISPUTE LETTER! They sent a response to fraud letter to a fraudulent address! I demanded proof that the account was opened by me with a copy of the signed original application and a copy of any identification that was provided with it. So, Fifth Third allows anyone with stolen ID to open an account and when it is disputed, they don’t respond to the real person- they respond to the thief. Fifth Third is still in violation of FCRA for

- not responding to ME AT MY ADDRESS which was on the dispute letter within 30 days, and

- not placing a notation on the account with the three major credit bureaus during the dispute, based on Stephanie’s statement from May 25-June 8. Since they never responded to me at my valid address as provided in the dispute letter with proof of identity and address, that notation should still be on the account on the credit report.

One reason, a primary reason, Fifth Bank, is trying to claim this is a valid account is to avoid the legal liability they face for allowing such an account to be opened fraudulently. Help me fight banks that allow identity theft and don’t properly handle fraud. Stay away from them. Don’t bank with them. If we can’t trust them to handle fraud in a legitimate manner and abide by federal laws, we can’t trust them with anything. For me, it was a fraudulent credit card. Next time, you might lose every penny you have in your account with Fifth Third Bank and you can’t trust to get any of it back.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I cannot stress enough. DO NOT BANK HERE.. We will never ever use them again for anything other than direct deposit. I cut a check on a Friday night for escrow on a home and it's being sent from my online account 3.5 business days later arriving a full week and 2.days after it was cut losing a home the payment was meant for. I called the customer service line that was closed at 8am then online through the 5/3 app in which the agent could care less nor escalate after stating I would lose this home for myself, my wife and 2 special needs children.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Searching for a new bank after 20+ years of disappointment: My account is set up so that no charges can come through if the funds are not available. Yet the slow individuals that work for this company like Hope (supervisor) refused to refund me my overdraft fee but returned the amount that should have never been drafted from my account. Not to mention this happens tooooo often for comfort. My identity has been stolen several times while banking with 5/3. They also were reported for charging ** more for housing loans... need I say more?! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone ever. Very poor customer service and they'll block your card for no reason. Smh never ever ever ever ever ever again.

Original review: May 5, 2021

After hiring an attorney to set up a trust fund for my parents who were elderly and who needed to go into an assisted living program, we worked with a personal banker at 5/3 Bank who assured us that the checking accounts were being set up properly, naming my brother and myself as trustees so there would be no issues upon their death. 6 years later, both parents have now deceased, but 5/3 now refuses to allow us to remove the funds, stating that they “can’t find” the signature cards proving that it was supposed to be through the Trust, they have no documentation stating that, and the personal bank who set up everything incorrectly is no longer employed there. So now we have to pay attorney and court fees and go through probate court to settle the matter because they will not admit their costly mistake.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Horrible customer service. Very rude and nasty. Their names are Hope and Kandise. They told me they were supervisors? I will refinance and find a new company ASAP. Why would anyone hire people so rude. Also I was hung up on. This company is not worth your time.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Avoid this bank and do not fall prey to their bogus promotions. They will find a way to disqualify you after you've deposited money into your account and met all of the terms and conditions, and then ignore your calls and emails. In my case, a representative at my local branch persuaded me into depositing $15K for a $300 bonus. I never received the bonus however even though I maintained a balanced of $15K for over 16 months, and only 90 days was required. A single unauthorized debit was made a third-party that lowered the balance by just $55 for a few hours, but was reversed on the same day. Fifth Third however credited that back the next day and has been using that as the sole excuse to not honor their promotion.

I tried for months upon months to call the manager, Elvia **, at my local branch in Niles, Illinois to find out why the bonus was not applied, but they never answered their phones or returned any emails. The only way I could get through was by repeatedly calling their national customer service, who eventually connected me with her directly. She promised I wouldn't have to follow-up again that she'd research it, but never got back. Clearly she was just trying to avoid me. After complaining on social media, I finally received a call from a regional manager, Garrett **, who only talked over me to repeat what the mistruths his manager told him - even yelling, which was completely unprofessional.

In short, this bank has horrendous customer service and utilizes deceptive practices to get you to open up accounts and deposit money, for which they are being sued by the U.S. government: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection v. Fifth Third Bank. "On March 9, 2020 the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) filed a suit alleging Fifth Third took unauthorized actions, specifically: opening deposit accounts in consumers’ names; transferring funds from consumers’ existing accounts to new, improperly opened accounts; issuing credit cards; enrolling consumers in online-banking services; and opening lines of credit on consumers’ accounts. The actions are alleged to be a result of a "cross-sell" strategy to increase the total number of products and services the business provides to existing customers."

Original review: April 18, 2021

Refused to work with me on a loan modification or anything after my husband died. I could make the payments fine but not repairs and upkeep as I had no help and had to pay for everything. Because of their refusal to work with me and subsequently being upside down because of needed repairs, I had to do a short sale which required me to not make two payments before they would consider. This ruined my credit and every aspect of my life when I was already suffering. This is a cruel, greedy and heartless institution. Stay away.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information