2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.81/5

Family Credit Management is a nonprofit credit counseling agency that has helped over 100,000 people find their way out of debt. Family Credit Management is licensed to operate in every state and strives to bring the highest level of service to every customer.

BOTTOM LINE

Family Credit Management is a nonprofit agency that provides credit counseling and debt management programs for people struggling with unsecured debt.

PROS

• 20+ years of experience
  • Certified nonprofit
  • Available in every state

CONS

• Only works with unsecured debt

Top Family Credit Management Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Credit Management?

I'm new to Family Credit Management. This company is very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. ... I have no regret & would recommend them to my family & friends. If you are looking for a debt management company - thumbs up on this one!

My experience with family credit management was successfully completed and they did everything on time and proper. I would recommend them to anyone who needs their debts taken care of. ... They were always professional, nice and helpful. Thanks again for everything ...

Family Credit Management services

To start working with Family Credit Management, take its online debt quizf and ill out the debt management program application. You’ll need the following information:

• Your name
  • Your email
  • Your address
  • Preferred method of contact

By filling out the debt quiz, you’re authorizing Family Credit Management to review your credit report, provide you with your score and explain what it means. This review is considered a “soft pull” and will not affect your credit score in any way. If you're eligible for the nonprofit's debt management program, a certified credit counselor creates an action plan as a guide to paying off your debts.

Once enrolled in the debt management program, you make one or two monthly payments to Family Credit Management, and the company disburses the funds among your creditors. Family Credit Management handles calls from collectors and works to reduce your fees and interest payments. Most clients remain in Family Credit Management's debt management program for five years.

Family Credit Management lets customers choose their payment dates and schedule. You can access your account information online 24/7 to quickly get in contact with credit specialists whenever you have a question.

How much does Family Credit Management cost?

Family Credit Management receives funding from the credit-granting community. Its budgeting sessions, credit review process and educational tools and resources are always free. There are never any fees unless you enroll in their debt management program, which has a one-time account setup fee of around $40 and a monthly administration fee of around $30.

Family Credit Management lets you work with your credit counselor to establish a payment plan that fits your schedule, whether that’s weekly, biweekly or once a month.

Family Credit Management FAQ

What is Family Credit Management?
Family Credit Management is a nonprofit credit counseling agency that offers debt management services to consumers struggling to pay back their loans.
What does Family Credit Management do?
Family Credit Management provides debt management assistance for consumers with unsecured debt.
Where is Family Credit Management available?
Family Credit Management’s services are available in every state.

Is Family Credit Management worth it?

Family Credit Management is a nonprofit agency that offers credit counseling services to consumers that are struggling with debt. If you’re searching for reliable credit counseling specifically for unsecured debt, visit Family Credit Management’s website to find out if its services are right for you.

Family Credit Management Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Credit Management?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

My experience with family credit management was successfully completed and they did everything on time and proper. I would recommend them to anyone who needs their debts taken care of. Their representatives were courteous and they responded quickly to calls. They were always professional, nice and helpful. Thanks again for everything and if I ever need to do this again, I'm keeping all your info. (Hopefully I will not need it????)

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This is a bunch of crooks and liars. Would take payments out before my paycheck. Had 3 creditors drop me from the program. Had not received payment in 2 months. The customer service representative said they upped my payment by 3.00. I never received any notification from them. This company made everything worse. STAY AWAY.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Was told creditors accepted their proposal only to find out this was not true. Instead they charged off the balance and ruined my credit and allowed Family Credit Management to make cheap payment. We were only told of the cheap payment. Then when my credit score ranked and we saw the charged off accounts- we asked by email first. By email we were told by counselor they knew nothing about this they would get back with me- they never did. After waiting on response that never came-we called them directly only to be told that they knew all along. That they made the decision to take the cheaper payment for me (no one ever informed me that it would charged off or impact my score so negatively). They just told me their offer was accepted and my payment would be x amount!

When we voiced our concerns the hateful person on the phone informed me not to worry that creditors only looked at the most recent 12 months anyway (another lie)... We did this because we are trying to refinance home and student loans and now we can’t due to this charged off account. To that she added they could write a letter for me telling them I’ve made great payment history- will they tell them they completely lied to me... somehow we doubt that. The entire conversation was recorded though and we will be seeking legal advice for damages since she had no problem admitting that this company didn’t disclose this information to me and took my credit file into their own hands without my consent.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I'm new to Family Credit Management. I would like to say that so far I am very pleased with this company and each and every representative I have dealt with. This company is very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. They know how to employ customer service reps with a high level of knowledge, courtesy and will work diligently to get you what you need. I did a lot of research before signing on with a debt management company, it is a huge step & I must admit I was nervous. I have no regret & would recommend them to my family & friends. If you are looking for a debt management company - thumbs up on this one!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I signed up for debt management with this company about 2 years ago. Everything has been going well until June this year. In August I received notification that I have been reported late for one of my credit cards. I called and found out that they did not send a payment to one of the creditors for 2 months. I asked what happened and was just given a vague answer. This caused my credit score to drop 32 points. It also caused my car insurance premium to go up due to the credit score as I was due to renew. I have called them to ask if they can at least call the creditor to explain the situation. They have refused and all I was told is to dispute the late payment with the credit bureaus. I signed a contract with them, they took my money and never sent the payment. I can't believe it and they won't do anything. I should report them to BBB.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Family Credit.. thank you! I been with Family Credit for a few years already and have cleared up about 5 of my credit card debts. I totally recommend them for any outstanding debt you are willing to pay off because Family Credit works with you. Their customer service reps are the best! Always friendly and willing to work anything out if you can't make your monthly payments. They do not push you to make your monthly payments if you can't make it. They make sure you understand that your creditors will not get paid but they explain this in such a nice way. :-) Thank you again Family Credit!

Original review: April 8, 2016

Family Care Credit is a wonderful company and never had any problems with them, they are there to help you out. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I began an account with Family Credit Management over 4 and half years ago. They were courteous, professional and very responsive during my entire experience. I would recommend them to anyone. They were great people.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

Didn't have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I think this place is great and treats me well and with dignity, I would appreciate it if you will send me email confirmation of date change to my payment plan. Plus can you mail me my ID number? I never received one. Thank you.

Family Credit Management Company Information