4.81/5
Based on 306 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a debt consolidation company?

Family Credit Management

Family Credit Management is a non-profit credit counseling agency that, since 1999, has helped over 100,000 people find their way out of debt. We have proudly completed licensing requirements across the nation, from California to New York, and strive to bring the highest level of service to each of our customers.

Our goal is to have all of our customers complete our program free of debt. Work with the experts you trust.

View More View More

306 Family Credit Management Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This is a bunch of crooks and liars. Would take payments out before my paycheck. Had 3 creditors drop me from the program. Had not received payment in 2 months. The customer service representative said they upped my payment by 3.00. I never received any notification from them. This company made everything worse. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Was told creditors accepted their proposal only to find out this was not true. Instead they charged off the balance and ruined my credit and allowed Family Credit Management to make cheap payment. We were only told of the cheap payment. Then when my credit score ranked and we saw the charged off accounts- we asked by email first. By email we were told by counselor they knew nothing about this they would get back with me- they never did. After waiting on response that never came-we called them directly only to be told that they knew all along. That they made the decision to take the cheaper payment for me (no one ever informed me that it would charged off or impact my score so negatively). They just told me their offer was accepted and my payment would be x amount!

When we voiced our concerns the hateful person on the phone informed me not to worry that creditors only looked at the most recent 12 months anyway (another lie)... We did this because we are trying to refinance home and student loans and now we can’t due to this charged off account. To that she added they could write a letter for me telling them I’ve made great payment history- will they tell them they completely lied to me... somehow we doubt that. The entire conversation was recorded though and we will be seeking legal advice for damages since she had no problem admitting that this company didn’t disclose this information to me and took my credit file into their own hands without my consent.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I'm new to Family Credit Management. I would like to say that so far I am very pleased with this company and each and every representative I have dealt with. This company is very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. They know how to employ customer service reps with a high level of knowledge, courtesy and will work diligently to get you what you need. I did a lot of research before signing on with a debt management company, it is a huge step & I must admit I was nervous. I have no regret & would recommend them to my family & friends. If you are looking for a debt management company - thumbs up on this one!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I signed up for debt management with this company about 2 years ago. Everything has been going well until June this year. In August I received notification that I have been reported late for one of my credit cards. I called and found out that they did not send a payment to one of the creditors for 2 months. I asked what happened and was just given a vague answer. This caused my credit score to drop 32 points. It also caused my car insurance premium to go up due to the credit score as I was due to renew. I have called them to ask if they can at least call the creditor to explain the situation. They have refused and all I was told is to dispute the late payment with the credit bureaus. I signed a contract with them, they took my money and never sent the payment. I can't believe it and they won't do anything. I should report them to BBB.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Family Credit.. thank you! I been with Family Credit for a few years already and have cleared up about 5 of my credit card debts. I totally recommend them for any outstanding debt you are willing to pay off because Family Credit works with you. Their customer service reps are the best! Always friendly and willing to work anything out if you can't make your monthly payments. They do not push you to make your monthly payments if you can't make it. They make sure you understand that your creditors will not get paid but they explain this in such a nice way. :-) Thank you again Family Credit!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Family Credit Management?

Original review: April 8, 2016

Family Care Credit is a wonderful company and never had any problems with them, they are there to help you out. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I began an account with Family Credit Management over 4 and half years ago. They were courteous, professional and very responsive during my entire experience. I would recommend them to anyone. They were great people.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

Didn't have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I think this place is great and treats me well and with dignity, I would appreciate it if you will send me email confirmation of date change to my payment plan. Plus can you mail me my ID number? I never received one. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

I'm new to this program and I have to say the person I've been talking to these last few days getting everything together has been wonderful. Answer all my questions and completely helpful. So thank you!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

I was so worried about taking the "step". Then I spoke with Ms.**... she was very knowledgeable and patient and kind. I felt at ease as she helped me with documents and signatures. Thanks to your company and I hope all of your clients receive the same help and attitudes I continue to receive. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Great assistance from associate in guidance.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I felt very comfortable and not pressured when starting talking to Cassandra this morning, while shopping around. She is very nice, polite and explained everything clearly and concise. Also afterwards, when filling out the forms I had to call her several times to ask questions and, same thing patient, clear and helpful. It is hard these days when one does not know much about who to talk and mainly who to trust! So I hope that by choosing you, I can keep going on. Thank you again!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

I'm satisfied with the service with them but the only thing I just don't like is the payment is very high which I think they can do better to help out people that is having problems with this kind of stuff. And the other I don't like is that you have to give them address for the company you owe to - like we should have to do that. I think they should have all that info to me.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

The process to setup a new account and agreement went by really smoothly and Cassandra ** was extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend the service and her as a representative.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I am a disabled veteran currently going through social security disability as well as military compensation. It was simple, fast and within one day, all the documents were signed online; no printing, no faxing, no long annoying phone calls. I was also able to pick my due dates.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I just found this on the web and was excited to learn how to free my debt. I have just started and so far everything seems to be going well. I would recommend this to others because you guys are fast and efficient. I like the one on one assistants and how smooth everything seems to be going. Thank you all for helping me and others like me to reduce our debt.

Original review: July 23, 2015

I was really put to ease by Cassandra, when I called her back and discussed the mess that my finances has become. I am totally responsible for this mess and I will be responsible until it is cleared up. I would like to thank Ms. Cassandra for not making me feel stupid for spending money to look for my missing child, I guess we all do anything to protect our children or loved ones. I pray that no one will ever have to experience what I have since my daughter went missing. I hope you know how nice it was to have someone just say they we're sorry for the situation that I was in. Thanks again.

Original review: July 8, 2015

After feeling over my head, I reached out to Family Credit Management as a last resort and am sorry I didn't do it sooner! Sarah ** was more than helpful and sensitive to my situation. Very pleased by my experience. Thanks Family Credit!

Original review: June 6, 2015

When I first decided to contact this company I really did not know what to expect. It was a very fast and easy way to put everything together. I was just amazed.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Very pleased with company and credit counselor. I just simply called one day and in 5 mins my counselor sent out my proposal plan.

Original review: May 27, 2015

Good trusting people, all very helpful. The best financial plan I ever could have imagined.

Original review: May 18, 2015

I was swimming in debt because of my health condition and I had to retire from my work. Family Credit helped me negotiate a lower rate and I stuck with the program and paid off three of my biggest creditors. The customer service is excellent! Whenever I emailed with questions, they responded promptly with the answer and solution to my question. Thank you so much, Family Credit. There were no gimmicks or hidden fees. I would recommend your services to anyone having financial problems. Again, thank you!

Original review: April 6, 2015

I would recommend Family Credit Management Services to anyone that wants to become debt free. They have helped me to become debt free in only 4.5 short years. It is amazing to see the amount owed drop each month until, one by one, all the debts are paid. It is always easy to reach a real person, not a computer which is a refreshing change and everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Original review: April 2, 2015

I picked this company because the name was more family friendly versus the business and law firm names. With this company I am more than just an account. I am an actual human being. Family Credit Management is very flexible and goes above to help.

Original review: March 27, 2015

Ms. ** was very helpful and patient with me. She also walk me through the process of the application. I recommend this company service.

Original review: March 22, 2015

I previously tried working out payment arrangements with my creditors on my own which got me nowhere. I could barely understand them, sloppy English with an Indian accent. They demanded payment instantly and wanted more money each time I tried to negotiate payments. They were unwilling to accept a low monthly payment without stopping the interest which would basically keep me paying forever. It was a nightmare! There is nothing more frustrating than trying to workout outstanding balances with a foreigner over the telephone. Thanks to Family Credit Management, I no longer have to deal with that nightmare and I've payed off one of my creditor accounts thus far. Finally, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Big thanks to FCM!

Original review: March 13, 2015

I really appreciate the help that I received from you. My credit score has gone up quite a bit and now I am relieved from the burden of credit card debt. I would recommend you to anyone and to a few friends I already have. What is so great about you is that you helped me maintain a good financial reputation. I don't plan on borrowing any money ANY time soon but now my credit score is so good that any lender would lend to me and offer me the best interest rates. I feel so responsible and free now. I will really feel it the next time I get paid and don't owe any money to creditors.

Right now I only owe money to my student loan but that will be paid for within a couple of months! Thank you so much for all your help. You provide a much needed service to our debt-ridden society. Every time I called to talk with a rep, you were very helpful. Thanks again. I really can't say enough about you. I will definitely continue to recommend you to anyone I know who is in debt that they can't control. I'm free!

Original review: March 6, 2015

A great value! For a low monthly maintenance fee I am getting back on track.

Original review: March 4, 2015

Working with FCM was one of the best choices of my life. They immediately reigned in my out of control interest rates and had me on a payment plan soon thereafter. I was able to keep track of my account online and the chat option was extremely quick and easy when I need to speak with someone regarding my account. Before I knew it, my accounts were paid off and things couldn't be better! Thank you FCM for helping me gain control of my finances sooner rather than later!!!

Not sure about Family Credit Management?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Debt Consolidation Companies for you.

Family Credit Management expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Nonprofit Family Credit Management, a credit counseling agency has been in business for more than 20 years. The company has helped over 100,000 people get out of debt.

• Services: Family Credit Management offers credit and housing counseling and a debt management program. The certified credit counselors help stop creditor calls, reduce or eliminate finance charges, help the consumer learn when he or she will be debt free and set up auto-pay through a bank or credit union.

• Free services: Online educational resources and calculators. The free Personal Finance Made Easy Course includes goal setting, creating a spending plan, how to save money and more.

• Licensed: Family Credit Management is ISO 9001 certified and is nationally licensed.

• Privacy: Family Credit Management takes your privacy seriously and will consult with you without asking for personal information.

• Affiliations: They have affiliations with major banks, retail stores and finance companies to help consumers negotiate lower interest rates.

• Help with creditors: The company works with the client’s creditors to lower interest rates and work out manageable monthly payments. Once enrolled in the Debt Management Program, the client makes one monthly payment to Family Credit Management who then handles payment with all of their creditors.

• Fees: Their fees are based on a sliding scale, and there is no charge until the consumer enrolls in the program. Family Credit Management receives additional funding from the credit granting community.

• Best for: consumers, families and small business owners with overdue credit card debt and other loans.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

IL
    877-322-8323
    www.familycredit.org

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business