2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.81/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
View More View More

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I did a little research and called several different programs, but Cambridge got back with me a little bit more. I incurred a lot of debt and upon initial contact with them, they were very responsive and followed up well with me. The customer service was great and everything was very positive. They had one number for customer service and they had another number for people who were already enrolled in the program. Sometimes I wouldn’t have my paperwork in front of me so I would Google it and call a number and then that would not be the right number but they would get back with me, so it was just a matter of me probably getting to the right number at that point.

I got monthly statements which told me what had been dispersed, when and to whom. If I had a question about anything, I would get an email and a phone call back. Towards the end, I was trying to get my balance in order so that I can get my sons in order to pay, and that took a little bit of time but I understand that Cambridge wanted to make sure the balance was as accurate as it could be for me.

Looking back on it, I’m grateful that I could pull off the payment plan. I wasn’t sure that I could at the time, but I did. Given how much I was paying in credit card bills just to make the minimum payment, it was probably an improvement. The difference being that it was a lump sum that came out rather than when I could make it. So, I would recommend Cambridge to anybody as opposed to bankruptcy. Paying that money every month plus the information they would send out about credit and trying to keep your credit good helps you to realize you’re not doing yourself any favors to get in debt.

I’m a real researcher, so I probably did my homework and I would suggest other people do research. The good thing about Cambridge was they were the mediator initially, particularly because there were a couple of my creditors that were nasty and tried to be overbearing. So, I appreciated them being there to handle that. The particular person that I worked with initially was wonderful. She was very kind but she was also very matter of fact. She spelled out everything for me well. Granted my circumstances were different than many because it was sort of a hardship kinda situation for me, but I would do it all over again although I never want to go there again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I were listening to an AM radio at night and I always heard this guy who was a local in Cleveland. I trusted the guy because I had listened to him for a long time. He mentioned debt relief with Cambridge so many times that I decided to do it because I couldn’t do it by myself because the interest rates were getting way too high. I had $70,000 debt and I couldn't even believe I had that much to pay off. I made a mistake of letting somebody else use my credit cards so I learned a lot.

While with Cambridge, I didn’t really work with a counselor although there was a counselor named Brian back in February 2015. I talked to him when I signed up. Other than that, nobody checked on me to see how much spending was coming or what I was doing. I just knew that if I didn’t do this, I would never do it. Once in a while, I would call them like when I called to change because I couldn’t pay on such and such date my payment was due and that I would do it before the five days. I would always get so many different people. They were very nice every time I talked to them. A couple of times when I had to change my payments because I was out of work for a while, they were a little strict. They would tell me that this would change my interest rates. That worried me but they were good. All of it was a really good experience.

The cost of Cambridge was very fair. And just them helping in getting the interest rate down was very great too. Just the relief to be out of debt has impacted my life. I never thought I could get out of debt that fast for that amount of money. It came in perfect timing because I ended up having a brain aneurysm last month. I didn’t have to worry about a payment coming up. I’m since retiring now from my company that I’ve been with for 34 years and I’m able to do that because I’m not in debt anymore. I know too that I can never have a credit card ever again. I know I will never get one again because I know how quickly it is to get in debt. I won’t step in certain stores that did not lower the interest either. JCPenney was at zero percent interest. But as far as the other companies that wouldn’t go below 10 to at least 7 to help people pay off their debt, I will not honor those stores anymore.

The only thing with Cambridge is they don’t really advertise. I only heard about it on a radio talk show. I’m a flight attendant and I have a lot of friends that are in debt. When I mentioned Cambridge to my friends, they were like, “Who are they?” Cambridge is really a reputable company and I know that. But you’re leery at first because you’re afraid that you’re gonna get duped. But I just knew I had no choice because my credit cards were maxed and I had nowhere to go. Cambridge should advertise better.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Cambridge was a great group to work with. We were very happy with them. They were very helpful and easy to work with. We resolved about $55,000 worth of debt and I've recommended them to many people that I know. When I was looking for a program, a lot of my friends had gotten scammed into those, "Don't pay your bill. We'll settle it for 2 cents on the dollar," garbage. I used some of the information on the site of the National Federation of Credit Counselors. I used some of Dave Ramsey's and Clark Howard's information about how to pick good programs to work with. That's how I ended up zeroing in on Cambridge.

The recession had destroyed by husband's business and we had to sell our house that we loved. But we didn't get any of the money we should have had from the equity we had. We lost about 50% of the value of the house so it was a very tough period for us. Before the recession hit, my dad died and my mom went blind and had to move in with us. We had to fix their house up and sell it. We put all of that on the credit card. Before we fixed the house up, the realtor told us what their' house would be worth. But by the end of the year when we finished fixing it up, it was worth half of that. So there was no money to pay us for what we had laid out for them and my mom has needed all of it.

We ended up with this huge amount of credit debt. It was $65,000 worth. It was about $1,900 a month that we were paying on our own and the interest rates were over 20%. Some of them were 25%. It was horrible. I knew we owed these people the money but it was the interest that was killing us. Trying to keep up with it was just insane. Some of them Cambridge got down to 0%. Some of them they got down to 2 or 3%. We were looking at trying to pay it off on our own but it probably would have been 20 years if we've been able to do it.

Cambridge was a big help. The jobs that we ended up finding were only about half of what we had been making before but Cambridge has a financial hardship program, where they reduced the monthly fee for us in half which was very helpful. So it's normally $70 a month to do it through them but on the financial program, they got us paying $35 a month. We finished the program a couple of months ago and my husband is gonna be retiring next year. I have to keep working and we'll have to be careful. But at least he won't have to have to keep working. We also got rid of the mortgage. We live in a dusty, renovated mobile home on a cheap farm in Kentucky now instead of a golf course in South Carolina. But it's cost us a 10th of what it did to live where we used to live. We hope to not have to ever use the credit cards again.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I love Cambridge. They did all the work. All I had to give was the commitment of money and we got it all worked out. The rep wanted to know how much I made and where I was working so we could make a plan and we broke down a budget analysis. We were talking about it and right there on the spot, he told me he would see how much the rate would be, how much I could afford and that I qualified. It was great because I started out with a little money but not much. The only thing I feel bad about was that they would send financial organizers and I would get in because I was working two full-time jobs. I finally got to confirm that my debt was paid and I was definitely excited. In fact, I was surprised when I got the call wanting to talk about my last payment. I thought there had to be some mistakes. I thought it was gonna be longer.

My seven cards were taken care of and they got a reduction. I went from about $12,000 to a zero balance in four and a half years. We knew it was gonna be four years, which was not a big deal, and they were right on the money. They did their job, even above and beyond. They were sending me the financial statements and something to fill out. So even though I wasn’t present in the situation, they were the best. It also kinda happened when I had a fender bender. I had to get another car and bring all my extra expenses. I also happened to get unemployed quickly after. So this happened all chronologically the way it was supposed to. It was perfect. When I had my debt paid off, I went and told my friends. Everything that I did with Cambridge was on point and I'm grateful.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Thank you so much, Cindy, for your review of our services! Once our certified counselors complete your budget analysis, we're able to calculate an estimation of the time it takes for you to be debt free on our program. In fact, many of our clients become debt free in about three to five years, so you're right on time! We're sorry to hear about your financial troubles as you were starting our program. This is where the budget analysis is imperative to the process of seeing what your financial snapshot looks like, and how much left over you really have in your budget to start saving for these kinds of emergencies. We encourage all consumers and especially our clients to save where they're able.

We're happy to have had to you as our client and we wish you the best in the future.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was living in Cape Coral, Florida. I had no job but I had lots of debt. So I talked to my Father. I told Him I needed help. I didn't know where to go to get it because I didn't have the money to take care of what I was doing. I had never heard this Cambridge advertisement before but as I was driving, I wrote the number down. I called them and this man answered. We talked and I told him what was going on. He sent me information on what they could do and what the payment would be, and it fit in with what I could do in paying it all back. It was perfect. It took me four years but the interest rates in all of the loans were so high that I was never gonna get it down.

Cambridge went in and got all my interest rates down to almost nothing, and I got it paid off. It was just like that. It was wonderful. Then when I caught myself in the situation again, I went back to Cambridge and they said, “Okay, no problem.” He didn't say, “Oh what the heck are you doing? We’re trying to get you out of debt and here you are, doing what you do.” There was nothing like that. They were wonderful. They were very personable, kind and helpful. I’ve used them three times and they're amazing. I recommend them to everybody. My nephew and his wife got into a big mess and I told them to call Cambridge. They've since split up but the wife said Cambridge was not nice enough. I don't know what the deal is but for me, they're the top of the block.

The very first credit counselor I dealt with never tried to talk down to me because I was in debt. There are a lot of circumstances out there that get you into something that you didn't think would ever get you into but you did. But that doesn't mean that it’s bad unless you robbed a bank or killed somebody. A lot of banks have this high-and-mighty attitude. But these people at Cambridge are down to earth. They’ve been very kind to me. This guy built me up. He made me feel like they could do something for me and I liked that. He spoke hope.

They took all my information as far as what cards I wanted to put on there. I had Dillard’s, a Macy’s and Kohl’s, and the interest rates on those were through the roof. I was getting to a point in my life where I didn't want debt anymore. So I just turned them in to Cambridge. When they got back with me, they said they got my Macy's down to 8%, the Dillard's down to 6% and another at 10%, which was much lesser than what they were charging. I was paying $200 a month before. But now, I’m paying $98 and I’ll have the debt paid off in about three years. In that $98, Cambridge takes their little fee, which is not that much, and I also don't have to deal with those people. I would get a statement every month for each one of those accounts and if I wanna pay extra, I can send Cambridge a check. That’s another thing too. If I wanna pay it off early, there’s not a penalty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: March 31, 2020

Cambridge Credit was wonderful. They really helped me a lot and I appreciate it very much. Most of the things we were going to pay got paid off in 36 months. And towards the end, I paid it off sooner and they helped me to do that. They were always there whenever I called or needed something. They were very nice. They went over everything with me and explained everything to me. They were very good with that, too. The quality of their service for me was terrific.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I found Cambridge on the internet and I called them. I liked everything that they told me. I went into their program for all my credit cards and I was in it for three years. I finished a little bit earlier that what we expected because once I was finished paying one, we moved the other payment to the biggest debt. By working with Cambridge, I liked that I had the chance to pay all my debts in a low payment and a low amount. I’m grateful with them and I would tell more people about them. It was helpful and nice.

Original review: March 28, 2020

My bills are paid and I'm all done. Cambridge Credit Counseling had answers whenever I needed them. The cost was fine and they worked with me very well on the payment plan.

Original review: March 27, 2020

We were trying to dig ourselves out of the credit card debt hole that we were in and I liked Cambridge's plan better than the other companies that I had called. They were very helpful and they made sure that the payment plan that we came up still worked because life throws curve balls every once in a while. So, it was good. I was very happy with the whole process. I had the original person, and then I got passed up to someone else. Unfortunately, that person left and I got passed to someone else. So, I spoke to different people.

They estimated that I would be in the program for five years. We asked for a lower rate on one of the credit card companies, and they gave us zero instead. So, that was a big deal and it helped. I then finished a bit early. We have paid it all off and we are in a much better financial situation than we were four and a half years ago. Overall, it was a good experience and we’re glad that we did it. We were able to get our feet back underneath us. And I would recommend them if someone was asking about that kind of situation.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Everybody at Cambridge was fantastic and I was comfortable working with the rep. The program was wonderful and I’m finished with it. I paid off my debt and I have $500 a month available now.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Company Information

1996
    67 Hunt Street
    Agawam
    MA
    (888) 403-2084
    www.cambridge-credit.org

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.