4.74/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2208 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 4, 2019

Cambridge was a great group to work with. We were very happy with them. They were very helpful and easy to work with. We resolved about $55,000 worth of debt and I've recommended them to many people that I know. When I was looking for a program, a lot of my friends had gotten scammed into those, "Don't pay your bill. We'll settle it for 2 cents on the dollar," garbage. I used some of the information on the site of the National Federation of Credit Counselors. I used some of Dave Ramsey's and Clark Howard's information about how to pick good programs to work with. That's how I ended up zeroing in on Cambridge.

The recession had destroyed by husband's business and we had to sell our house that we loved. But we didn't get any of the money we should have had from the equity we had. We lost about 50% of the value of the house so it was a very tough period for us. Before the recession hit, my dad died and my mom went blind and had to move in with us. We had to fix their house up and sell it. We put all of that on the credit card. Before we fixed the house up, the realtor told us what their' house would be worth. But by the end of the year when we finished fixing it up, it was worth half of that. So there was no money to pay us for what we had laid out for them and my mom has needed all of it.

We ended up with this huge amount of credit debt. It was $65,000 worth. It was about $1,900 a month that we were paying on our own and the interest rates were over 20%. Some of them were 25%. It was horrible. I knew we owed these people the money but it was the interest that was killing us. Trying to keep up with it was just insane. Some of them Cambridge got down to 0%. Some of them they got down to 2 or 3%. We were looking at trying to pay it off on our own but it probably would have been 20 years if we've been able to do it.

Cambridge was a big help. The jobs that we ended up finding were only about half of what we had been making before but Cambridge has a financial hardship program, where they reduced the monthly fee for us in half which was very helpful. So it's normally $70 a month to do it through them but on the financial program, they got us paying $35 a month. We finished the program a couple of months ago and my husband is gonna be retiring next year. I have to keep working and we'll have to be careful. But at least he won't have to have to keep working. We also got rid of the mortgage. We live in a dusty, renovated mobile home on a cheap farm in Kentucky now instead of a golf course in South Carolina. But it's cost us a 10th of what it did to live where we used to live. We hope to not have to ever use the credit cards again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was living in Cape Coral, Florida. I had no job but I had lots of debt. So I talked to my Father. I told Him I needed help. I didn't know where to go to get it because I didn't have the money to take care of what I was doing. I had never heard this Cambridge advertisement before but as I was driving, I wrote the number down. I called them and this man answered. We talked and I told him what was going on. He sent me information on what they could do and what the payment would be, and it fit in with what I could do in paying it all back. It was perfect. It took me four years but the interest rates in all of the loans were so high that I was never gonna get it down.

Cambridge went in and got all my interest rates down to almost nothing, and I got it paid off. It was just like that. It was wonderful. Then when I caught myself in the situation again, I went back to Cambridge and they said, “Okay, no problem.” He didn't say, “Oh what the heck are you doing? We’re trying to get you out of debt and here you are, doing what you do.” There was nothing like that. They were wonderful. They were very personable, kind and helpful. I’ve used them three times and they're amazing. I recommend them to everybody. My nephew and his wife got into a big mess and I told them to call Cambridge. They've since split up but the wife said Cambridge was not nice enough. I don't know what the deal is but for me, they're the top of the block.

The very first credit counselor I dealt with never tried to talk down to me because I was in debt. There are a lot of circumstances out there that get you into something that you didn't think would ever get you into but you did. But that doesn't mean that it’s bad unless you robbed a bank or killed somebody. A lot of banks have this high-and-mighty attitude. But these people at Cambridge are down to earth. They’ve been very kind to me. This guy built me up. He made me feel like they could do something for me and I liked that. He spoke hope.

They took all my information as far as what cards I wanted to put on there. I had Dillard’s, a Macy’s and Kohl’s, and the interest rates on those were through the roof. I was getting to a point in my life where I didn't want debt anymore. So I just turned them in to Cambridge. When they got back with me, they said they got my Macy's down to 8%, the Dillard's down to 6% and another at 10%, which was much lesser than what they were charging. I was paying $200 a month before. But now, I’m paying $98 and I’ll have the debt paid off in about three years. In that $98, Cambridge takes their little fee, which is not that much, and I also don't have to deal with those people. I would get a statement every month for each one of those accounts and if I wanna pay extra, I can send Cambridge a check. That’s another thing too. If I wanna pay it off early, there’s not a penalty.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had too many outstanding credit cards and rather than use one and use another one until the other one gets built up a little, we wanted to get them all cancelled and pay it off. Signing up with Cambridge was okay. They took care of the dealings with the card companies and there were no difficulties there. They sent a statement each month of what was paid, how much they deducted, and how they disbursed it. However, they didn’t have anything to show what your starting balance was and that was something they could improve on. Rather than getting the statements in the mail from the card companies anyway, that could’ve saved all the extra mails and add those on to their monthly statements. They could add an extra column, like an Excel, or put the formula in there to give us those types of bills, and show us what the starting balance was, as well as the ending balance.

Towards the end of the program, we were keeping close track so we could make the last portion of the payment. For example, it was set-up to pay $100 a month, but then the last payment would be $65. We tried to call someone there and tell them to stop the payment as it was and we would pay the $65 on our own. But I got different stories on that – can, can’t do it and all that kind of stuff. Conveying with them what we were gonna do with what the last amount was was an issue. I don’t know if it was just newly-trained people or employees not familiar with what they can do. But Cambridge could keep working on educating their employees to what can be done and can’t be done because everyone was slow. One had to call and one had to make some changes. One time, I even got three different answers.

Cambridge also tried to do a lot of stuff electronically instead of having a phone call. For the younger tech-savvy people, that’s okay, but for us older folks, that’s hard. Maybe Cambridge has to think about who their customer is. Nevertheless, we paid off a bunch of our credit cards a year earlier. We got five years into the program, but we did it in only four. We never talked to the card companies themselves. We just talked with Cambridge and had them set it up on all the cards that they could. However, for some reason, there is one company that they can’t deal with, and that’s Bank of America. But Cambridge's interest rates were so low, lower than what you can get nowadays, so that really didn’t interfere. Somehow, we can hit that card on our own here.

The payment plan that we had was okay and working with Cambridge helped us get rid of those credit cards a lot quicker. Now we can use the money for paying off that other credit card, for Bank of America, and then we have a few extra bucks for us to do some things. I have problems because of Agent Orange and my legs are shot. I had to quit my job about the time we set this up, to help with the payments. But Cambridge made it easier for us. We knew what the amount would be to set up a budget to get going through every year. So, Cambridge helped us well. Perhaps they can also advertise in some ways how they can help folks if one of the members becomes disabled or have some medical problem or how they can work that through with cards that they owe on.

When Cambridge did their questioning with me at the beginning, they helped us out because I wasn’t able to work. So, that way, with a bit of disability I get, it went to pay enough of the cards. It went smoothly and we were able to take care of the necessities. Throughout the process, eventually, the amount we had to pay each month went down. So if we got a card paid off, then we could even keep that money or reapply it to the other cards, which was nice to help get the next one paid off quicker. Cambridge is a good program. You can quit if you don’t wanna do it, that kind of thing. But commit yourself to do it and follow it. They will take care of everything. They don’t charge you that much each month to do it. Basically, it’s all taken care of for you and if you just follow it, you should get a very good result out of it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was at a point, financially, where I was considering bankruptcy because I acquired so much debt and felt like I was drowning. I had a hard time figuring out which path to take. Then I heard about Cambridge on the news. Some financial people and experts talking about it highly recommended Cambridge for their integrity because they weren't out there to make money and that they were in it to help people truly recover financially. So, I sat on it for months and months trying to figure out what was the best direction to take. Then I finally mustered up the courage to contact Cambridge and it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Enrolling with them was very simple and very easy. But it was tedious going through and listing all of my life creditors where all my debt was. It was like burying my head in the sand but I had to face it. And by doing that, I had to truly look at my debt and write it down on paper. Once I gave that information out, there was a lot of paperwork reading and going over things but it was necessary. I paid off my debt a year and a half early because I got an insurance settlement from my ex. I was more than halfway there when I decided to go ahead and pay off all my debts because I had some future plans that I wanted to do and part of that was to get rid of all my debt. So, paying off my Cambridge was a big deal for me and it was a priority.

During the process, I got quarterly updates from Cambridge. They'd send me emails, checking in on me, and making sure I was on target. They wanted me to keep in touch and if I was having any problems, they were always available for me. But I didn't feel like I needed any intervention at that point. I felt like I was on course and I hadn't run into any problems, so I didn't feel like I needed to reach out to them for anything.

After finishing Cambridge's program, I feel like I've been released from prison and that's how strong it affected my life. It gave me freedom and made me able to sleep at night. Also, the cost of their service was minimal compared to my debt, for what they did for me, and for the trust and the peace that I wasn't getting taken advantage of because that was my fear of turning to consolidating. I would recommend Cambridge. In fact, I have recommended them to other people who told me about problems that they have. I'm thankful that they're out there and I would tell others that they are not there to take advantage of you. They were truly there to help people recover from financial burdens. God bless them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was losing ground on paying off my consumer debt on my own. I needed not so much the supervision of a program, but the consolidation and lower combined payments are what I really went to get help for. Cambridge was recommended to me. On the phone, there were instructions on what I needed to provide for each of the accounts that were selected to be part of the program. I wanted to be part of the program but I couldn't be for one reason and it was explained why. They talked to me about needing to contact the creditors themselves to negotiate or to accept payments through this program and accept lower interest rates. The combination of the lower rates reduced the very painful monthly payments. But, as I recall, it was not any more painful than what I was doing on my own, for each of those. Also, it was easier to make and be accountable for in one focused place.

The automatic payment processes were made on time. It was like when you have something you wanna save for and if you have it taken directly out of your paycheck and you never see it, it's easier to succeed. That's how this was for me. I see it in my account but it's taken care of without me touching anything. The process was painful especially as the five years went on. Still, when it was finished, I was happy. My half understanding of a program like that is, somehow I get hit on your credit report for not paying the full bills. Even so, what I liked about this program was that I'm still liable for the entire balance which I created for myself. So I was glad they're able to pay it that way with a lower rate being the benefit versus a lower principal. I'm sure I would've loved the lower principal but I didn't want the negative effect of what that might have caused.

I was also being treated fairly respectfully. They have easy to understand requests and I also get some feedback when I have a follow-up question. Their transaction was good. I was happy with the service but I would have a suggestion for an enhancement for the monthly statements. Rather than just providing me with the creditor and what I paid them, I would've liked to see the creditor, what I paid them, and the remaining balance.

The cost of service was well worth it. I didn't even have a monthly fee charge. I accumulated some more debt during the program though, I will admit. From that perspective, I wasn't 100% successful. I'm a whole lot better off than what I would've been on my own at this point in time. I would tell others that if they're having any trouble making accumulated monthly payments on a number of cards, I would highly suggest going to an outfit like Cambridge. It helps because it introduces discipline that isn't optional and sometimes, the best of us need a little bit of help in that regard.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Cambridge's service was excellent. They really helped me out. I had large credit card bills that I couldn't pay and I decided to work on those with Cambridge seeing that the company was recommended by the lady who does a lot of credit counseling on TV. I enrolled, went through an easy process and then they provided debt consolidation service. It was all seamless. The payment was just deducted from my checking account. I got enrolled around five years ago, and for a few months now, I have completed the program. I am immeasurably relieved that we got rid of those debts. I would absolutely recommend Cambridge.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wells Fargo allowed somebody to access into my account. Somebody put money in, then took money out, and the woman who was assigned to do the research said that it came from some banking associated that nobody has ever heard of. She sent it right back, and she didn't do her job. So every time they open another investigation they have not been very satisfactory. Cambridge is a fabulous service. The service charge I pay is $7 a month, and I get so much for that: the customer service, responsiveness, support, willingness of anyone and everyone to speak to you about your goals and progress, and the constant request that if you would like more help, you can certainly have it. They don't force you to take it, but it is always available. It’s a great place, too. I like the whole thing about Cambridge -- everything appealed to me. I would recommend Cambridge to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I set up my account with Tina **. She did an awesome job of explaining the process and I felt greatly relieved at that time. Tina ** told me that I could call her at anytime if I had any problems. I did have a problem with one creditor and was told to contact the creditor and make sure the address was correct which I did. The creditor had left off my apt #. Had it corrected and called Tina **'s number and left her a message that it was corrected and Cambridge could contact them. Never got a response, so I called again and left another message on her voicemail.

Fast forward a month later, still getting calls from the creditor and Cambridge hadn't contacted them. Called Tina ** and she finally called me back. She told me that I needed account services and transferred me. The girl that answered (didn't get her name) listened to what I had to say about the issues. Needed to update my address, so I was waiting to see if she was ready and she asked me if I was going to update it. I explained I was waiting for her to be ready. Then later, she misspoke the numbers and when I corrected her, she said that she had said it correctly, when I replied that I wasn't going to argue about it then she started arguing about whether she was arguing. It just wasn't very pleasant. I may have been short as I was unhappy with the lack of response from the get go however I am sure that she has had a lot worse conversations.

The main issue is that customer service rep didn't bother to hang up the phone before she started ** about the phone call to her co-worker. Totally unprofessional. Also the people that set up the initial accounts should tell us that we will need to contact account services and not them. I had specifically asked Tina ** if I called her or another number once the account was set up and she had told me I could call her anytime. Had I known who to contact, I would not still be dealing with a creditor that should have been contacted by Cambridge before now.

Overall, due to the conversation today with that customer service rep, I have lost a lot of respect for your company. I go to you for help and get flack. People are already stressed when deeply in debt and your reps should be trained to deal with people that are unhappy. If you listen to the phone call, you will see that I wasn't rude or nasty, just upset.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Enrolling with Cambridge was easy and I didn't have to do a lot of paperwork. I interacted very well with my counselor. In the beginning, I was on the phone every five minutes asking questions and all kinds of things. Originally, I worked with Anthony in California. But then, they switched me to Cambridge in Boston. When I called them and asked questions, they answered too.

One thing I didn’t understand at the beginning was that they were going to call all my creditors. I ended up calling them all, trying to set up dates for payment. That time, everybody was cooperative except there were a couple of companies that didn’t cooperate. Sometimes I had misunderstood that I was the one that had to call and get the dates straightened out. That's when they told me I wasn't supposed to do that. Cambridge's rep then asked me what I had arranged and then he went to the two companies that were giving me trouble.

Cambridge did a good job working with me on my payment plan. They set up a date when everything would out of my checking account and they made the payments for the next month. It was just good timing ‘cause that’s when I got my checking. My Social security came in at the end of the month too, so it all worked out well.

However, I was paying and still getting educational. Cambridge was charging me $50 for that and I really didn’t feel as though after a certain period of time, I got anything at all for my money. Still, everything else was okay. Working with them completely changed everything for me. During that period of time I was with Cambridge, I learned how to manage my money, take care of myself and budget.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I was in debt and I wanted to pay off a few bills so I got Cambridge's service. They asked me and I told them the information. They were nice. I've been with them for about a year and they paid the two bills. The payment plan is good. There was no high payment, and I was very comfortable with it.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg