2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

As of right now, I'm very satisfied with the service that I had. There was an account that I had with Cambridge and another company. When I spoke to the original counselor that was helping me, Henry, he said that he had dealt before with home shopping clubs. When you get a bill from a company, they don't say, "By the way, we split it out to two or three different departments. And after you pay us off, then you need to go to another department and pay back the lot." Henry knew that there are sometimes different divisions and sometimes a bill is split out into two or three different divisions.

Henry also knew to ask if the $3,000 that I was getting help with incorporated all the outstanding bills or just one department of the outstanding bills and he assured me that when he asked, they said that the bill that I was paying off was the entire bill. When he was told that the $3,000 bill was paid off, I assumed that the bill was paid off, but when I tried to call HSN several months ago, they said I owed an additional $1,000 to another division. I said, "Wait a minute. I paid off 3,000. You're saying that you allowed me to charge $4,000 before I was the one who went to the counseling service?" They didn't cut me off. I was the one that said, "Wait a minute. This is getting out of control. I need help." I went to Cambridge Credit Counseling.

I don't know where the extra $1,000 is coming from. To me, it sounds hinky, but even more than hinky, I said to Cambridge Credit Counseling, "Please check with the bank that you were dealing with at the time, because I never missed a payment." Synchrony wrote me back two letters and to make a long story short, they just said, "Yeah, you're paid off. We have nothing more outstanding on you." it was at that time Synchrony bought Comenity Bank that was HSN's, and so they assumed the bills. If I owed money still, they would've said, "No. You still owe." Between HSN not doing their due diligence and Synchrony Bank maybe not doing theirs, I cannot charge now on HSN until they get paid $1,111.

I would have thought that in 38 months, if the right hand was getting paid, the right hand didn't tell the left hand, "Hey, if you're not getting paid, go to CCC and talk to them because she is paying off her bill and you wanna make sure that this is cleared out." In the future, if anybody has a Home Shopping Network that has a bill that's owed and they are paying it off, CCC should make sure that their credit counseling agent calls that home shopping company up. They must do the digging to find out if that's the total bill. If they are told that that's the total bill, the company cannot do like what they're doing to me and say, "Oh, she owes another $1,000."

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The other services were offering negotiation to pay off the debt and not all of it. Cambridge said, “No, you pay off the entire debt.” It would look better on my credit score to pay the whole debt instead of saying that I settled. They explained all of it to me. Then they sent me a lot of information to help me understand my credit. They provided me a counselor, someone who I could go over everything that I was giving to them for them to take over for me. They explained how they would contact them, and how much I would pay, and how important it was to make my payments every month and to stay on my payments on time. They really did a good job because when I started working with them, my credit score was 505, and now my credit score is 650.

It was a very good experience with the counselors of Cambridge. They were very informative. They encouraged me that if I have problems with something, to contact them sooner versus later. Because it makes it easier for them to get in contact with the collection or whoever the creditors are. Every single person that I took to them, they got them to work with the company and they were able to help me pay it off. Some of them were even bad situations where I got into debt with some check cash advances and they even worked with them and helped me pay all of those off. I was so grateful for that one.

They had helped me with my budget for the month as far as what I was spending. They helped me find an amount that I could agree to that will work for both me and for the creditors and for them, where I could pay back at an even time so it wasn't so much like all of my bills together. Every time that we paid something off, I said, “Okay, I want to do these.” I kept putting them on there. They made it affordable where I could stick right around the same amount every month, like 150 a month. I just gave it to them on a specific date, always made sure the money was in the bank, and they pulled it and they made sure all of my clients got it. I didn't even have to talk to the clients. The only thing I had to do was when they would send me correspondence in the mail, I would just update Cambridge and let them know. Everything balanced out the way it was supposed to.

Their service was excellent. One time in those five years, my paydays didn't match up with the 28th, because that was the day that I chose to pay my bill every month. They said, “We can move it up or we can move it back a couple of days.” Then they would set it up and it would still work out, and the creditor still would get their money and everything just worked out right.

Cambridge is awesome. They work with me so well. I love them. I've referred them to friends and family and they've called and used them. They helped them get out of some stuff too. One of my brothers was into a check-cashing thing. He had borrowed 2,500 and the balance had got up to 4,000. He worked with Cambridge and they helped him pay it off. My only wish with them is that they work with taxes. If they work with taxes, they would cover the whole scope.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I was watching TV and an advertisement came on, and I called that particular number. I was told that they didn't service the area that I'm living in, but Cambridge did. So, I called and from then on, I was one of Cambridge's clients. The service was great, It was the best thing I ever did in my life. I couldn't believe how fast I got out of debt. Their customer service is superb to none. Every time I call, even if I call a couple of times a week because when it got close to the final payment, I was pretty anxious, so I was trying to make sure that everything was still on as far as the date of my completion.

Cambridge’s enrollment process was easy. The man that signed me up was very helpful. I gave him the information that morning and I was all set to go shortly after I gave him the information. It didn't take very long at all for him to get everything figured out and call me back and tell me what my payments would be and how long that I will be on the program. It was an easy process. I would recommend it to anyone that was in a lot of debt. I was in a lot of credit card debt and I was very stressed out until I got on their program.

I just received my completion papers from Cambridge last Friday. I’m done. I paid off $27,000 in four years. I was very comfortable with the payment because with my income, I could afford it. With me paying $35 here, $25 there, 50 here, 125 and $661 even. I was out of about over 1,000 and something trying to pinch it out, and it just looked like my money was being wasted because none of my balances was really going down.

Once I got with Cambridge, they got with my creditors, got the balances down to if not zero, to almost nothing interest. And everything just started. Once the bills started getting paid off, they just started coming back to back. Every pay off, I will get a notice from them and a notice from my creditor that I had completed and the bill was paid in full. I have a stack of bills along with the letter that Cambridge sent me last week for my completion.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We were told twice in the last six months that we would be paid off in July, and we weren't. We still owed 600. I called and the first person I talked to, which was the counselor that I originally set it up with, said it would be to our advantage if we could take the money out of our savings to pay off the 600. We wouldn't have to pay them the $50 for the month of July and we wouldn't get anything extra for paying it off early, but it would be specified to being paid off. We ended up paying too much to a couple of the companies and we got money back, which wasn't a problem. I said that they were all paid off, they had cleared the bank. I told her not to take out the money in July ‘cause, otherwise, they were taking it out automatically. She said she would mark it down and she put me on a recorded thing.

Then I asked the second person I talked to if I was doing this the right way. She tried to convince me not to do it. She told me that I would not get a letter saying we had paid it off, and it would say we had not completed the program. That kinda upset me, but I didn't care. I called back and talked to that other girl. She said she didn't know who that person was. Everything that person said, she would look into it because she didn't know why anybody would tell me that.

A month later, we got an email or a text message from Cambridge that we have not paid anything in the last couple of months and that we owe $125, and to please contact them immediately, so I did. I got this gentleman on the phone. He looked at it and said that he found what happened and that all we had to do was send him an email saying we have completed it. I asked if he would send me something, then confirming it, and he did. Up until then, I was surely satisfied. The problem was paying off the last month. I just got a $5 I wasn't expecting two weeks ago, ‘cause they were overpaid.

When talking about your credit, it scares you because it is so important. Having this big bill paid has just been a lifesaver because every month now we have money that we do not have assigned to anything. We're gonna have to buy a car and my husband needs handicap equipment. It's been just a blessing. One of the things that I liked was when I called, I always got my questions answered. Even when that guy said he found out what happened, he didn't explain to me, but he told me what to do to fix it, and he did it. I would highly recommend Cambridge.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I had used Cambridge to pay off a collection account on my credit report. And then, I had gotten into some credit card debts. I got into their debt management plan. They consolidated it for me. I knew how the program worked which made me feel a little bit more comfortable. First, we went through a budget sheet over the phone. Second thing, we pulled a soft inquiry of the credit report. I was including everything that I could. Then, they calculated the payment. I was pretty much my own counselor at the beginning. The benefits that we get are all put in place by the creditors. They tell us what they come down to on the interest rate, and what percentage of the balance that they want as the minimum payment. So it's plugged into that. Then I'd decide if I wanna enroll or not.

The program caused me to budget a little bit better and develop a plan to save money. I was able to monitor everything. I didn't get any calls from creditors. Cambridge checked in with me every once in a while. I got a statement monthly. I still got statements from the creditors so I still saw activity on my accounts and the plan working. I was still able to call in at any time and get any information I needed. It definitely improved my credit. I was able to get the credit card offers that I got initially because of the collection account I paid off through them. Then they were able to help me once I got myself into trouble. There were a lot of different educational articles they have available that give a lot of information to try to keep me from getting into those situations in the future. I've paid it off already.

It definitely helps in the long run. It takes a hit at the credit in the beginning just because the account’s closing, which is understandable. They're lowering the interest rates. It's all straightforward. They go over everything upfront. It's a free evaluation so I don't pay anything just to see what they can do for me either, which made it nice. And at the very least, they give some advice. It was a great experience. I'm getting to where I wanna be.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I heard great things about Cambridge and I was recommended by a friend. The program that they provided me with was awesome. They were able to help me complete a couple of credits that I had outstanding and they walked me through it to help improve my credit score. They did exactly what they said they were going to do and followed through with it. I stuck with it until we got it all cleared up and now, I'm completed. They worked with me to set up a plan that I was comfortable with and that I can afford, and that was good. I thank them for being great people. They were very nice and helpful. If I had any questions, I could call them. They also kept sending me my update accounts to tell me where I stood. They showed me how I can get out of debt fast and it was a good experience. I would recommend them anytime to anyone else.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My health insurance, UPMC Health Insurance, recommended them, so I felt I could trust them. There was a lot to register and it was a little challenging for me. It was a lot for me to take in initially and to understand what was going on. So breaking down the process in the very beginning would have been helpful for somebody in my age group without any experience with this.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

The experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling was awfully good. The guy was very professional. I just had one late payment that kept coming up time after time that hurt my credit. It was automatically withdrawn every month, and somehow, Cambridge forgot to take one of them. I saw it on my credit report and I wasn't excited about that. That's the only complaint I have with them. But mistakes happen. Other than that, I like their accounting, and frankly, they don't charge very much.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

The program certainly helped me to pay off some debt and paying the payment every month so that’s a great impact. I'm about $30,000 out of debt, and I was consistent in paying it off so that helped, as well as having everything consolidated in one thing. I just paid my bill on time and that was it. I asked questions about one of my bills, if I paid something out, where is the rest of the money going, etc. Cambridge answered my question and I was satisfied with the response they gave. If I didn't get the answer that I thought I should have gotten, I called back and asked somebody else again. Overall, Cambridge is a good program if you need the discipline, you can’t pay your bills on your own, or if all your bill collectors are calling you, or you’re feeling overwhelmed with debt and you just want to pay somebody and let them distribute the money.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

We had Cambridge contact all the credit card companies and make arrangements to see how much they would take in for payment each month, and then, whether or not we could afford that. Went back and forth, negotiated until we got it where we could afford it, and they were satisfied. Then, they took the money out of our account each month and paid each one of those that we owed so that we didn't have to be writing multiple checks each month to different places. They provided a vast library of resources, as far as how to make a budget, how to spend smartly and that sort of thing. It was handled with discretion. They worked with us and made sure that in order for us to get things paid as quickly as possible, to really put forth that extra effort and cut out what can be cut out, and just get this down, so we're not paying it forever. We're finished now.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor