Call toll free
(888) 403-2084
4.90/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2037 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We were deeply in debt and a friend recommended that we work with Cambridge. We did a debt consolidation with them and went through a 3-year program. We gave them all of our credit card information then they took care of everything else. They negotiated with our credit card companies what we had to pay, and then they charged us in one lump sum. Then on top of our monthly payment, we paid their $60 monthly fee. So now, we are out of our $30,000 debt. Cambridge provides a great service and they’re easy to work with.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I used Cambridge Credit a long time ago and used them again. I had a good experience the first time. When they talked to me, they asked me about what credit cards I had, and how much they were, to see if I qualify, and I was able to get all of those credit cards paid off. It helped me get back in track. Cambridge helped me from having those credit cards going to any type of overages or collections. They helped me to where it didn’t affect my credit at all.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

To get my credit card debt paid off, I went through Cambridge Credit Counseling. Their application process was easy. Their reps were very professional. I talked to them a couple of times and got a couple of emails from them. I made the payment we set up every month. I put it in my bank and they withdrew it. The program got me out of debt and my debt was paid off. My experience with Cambridge worked out wonderfully and it did what I wanted it to do.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

At first, I got hooked up with guys that took all of my debt and combined it together, then I paid them one payment but it ruined my credit. I did that for about a year. I remembered that about 25 years ago, I used a credit counseling service and it didn’t affect my credit. I looked up online for somebody and found Cambridge. To enroll, I had to gather all my debt and then hand it to them. They calculated how much my payment per month would be and how long it would take. They take care of the debt as long as I have the money in my account. I don’t have to fool with that anymore makes the program good. Plus, anytime I had a question, I just called them and they had the answers. They worked out good and made me feel good. The program took 44 months to complete and my credit score went way up. It was down in the low 600 and it’s up over 700 now. I was paying them $500 a month and it was an awesome bunch of money. Now, it’s paid off. The cards are gone and I don’t have a debt anymore and I have the $500 to use as I want to.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was losing ground on paying off my consumer debt on my own. I needed not so much the supervision of a program, but the consolidation and lower combined payments are what I really went to get help for. Cambridge was recommended to me. On the phone, there were instructions on what I needed to provide for each of the accounts that were selected to be part of the program. I wanted to be part of the program but I couldn't be for one reason and it was explained why. They talked to me about needing to contact the creditors themselves to negotiate or to accept payments through this program and accept lower interest rates. The combination of the lower rates reduced the very painful monthly payments. But, as I recall, it was not any more painful than what I was doing on my own, for each of those. Also, it was easier to make and be accountable for in one focused place.

The automatic payment processes were made on time. It was like when you have something you wanna save for and if you have it taken directly out of your paycheck and you never see it, it's easier to succeed. That's how this was for me. I see it in my account but it's taken care of without me touching anything. The process was painful especially as the five years went on. Still, when it was finished, I was happy. My half understanding of a program like that is, somehow I get hit on your credit report for not paying the full bills. Even so, what I liked about this program was that I'm still liable for the entire balance which I created for myself. So I was glad they're able to pay it that way with a lower rate being the benefit versus a lower principal. I'm sure I would've loved the lower principal but I didn't want the negative effect of what that might have caused.

I was also being treated fairly respectfully. They have easy to understand requests and I also get some feedback when I have a follow-up question. Their transaction was good. I was happy with the service but I would have a suggestion for an enhancement for the monthly statements. Rather than just providing me with the creditor and what I paid them, I would've liked to see the creditor, what I paid them, and the remaining balance.

The cost of service was well worth it. I didn't even have a monthly fee charge. I accumulated some more debt during the program though, I will admit. From that perspective, I wasn't 100% successful. I'm a whole lot better off than what I would've been on my own at this point in time. I would tell others that if they're having any trouble making accumulated monthly payments on a number of cards, I would highly suggest going to an outfit like Cambridge. It helps because it introduces discipline that isn't optional and sometimes, the best of us need a little bit of help in that regard.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had just lost my husband who died of cancer and I couldn't handle the bills on just my income. I enrolled with Cambridge Credit Counseling and went through a simple process. Their counselor didn't slide around any issues. He was upfront about everything, how long the process would take, what was expected and how to go about it. He worked the payment plan out really well and managed to put it at about the amount that I could take care of without having to worry. Cambridge told me it would be about five and a half years for everything to get taken care of, and it was about what it was. I'm all done with the program and it was a great experience. It took a load off my back.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My sister had Cambridge Credit Counseling services and she told me about it. She said I would like them so I tried their service. The counselor called me and I told him what I wanted to do. He told me to give him my bills and told me which ones he was gonna take. I told him that I needed my Lowe's bill and I wanted to keep that in case something happens. So he did all that and Cambridge took out payments every month with my social security payment. We worked for about three years that way and Cambridge did very well. I'm proud and I'm happy that I worked with them and that now, I'm debt-free.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

My husband was sick in a hospital for a good four years which was devastating and it drained us. There was a lot of collateral damage that went along with it when we were trying to keep up with the finances and I had turned to credit cards to help pay for it but it just kept piling up. We were just spinning in circles with interest rates and we wanted to get all that paid off. The credit card companies would not work with us individually and that was sad. The other alternative we looked into was bankruptcy but we make too much money and that's not the way we wanted to go anyway. We really wanted to pay it all back.

My son-in-law then found Cambridge Credit Counseling and I contacted them. I handed over the cards that I wanted to pay off, set the amount of payments and they did the negotiations and they were fantastic. They took care of it all. They worked with me and didn’t condemn me. They even have a whole lot of financial education material that's free. I made a commitment to pay my debts back and for me to stay on track was what they looked for. They even thought that we set the payment a little high but we knew we could do it. We set the payment at $1,329 a month and we paid it off in five years. We just finished this September. I kept my side and they keep theirs. Also, the fee they charged was well worth it. With their service, the cards get paid off and everything is dropping. They dispersed all the payments and did a lot.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had too many bills and I got overwhelmed. I called Cambridge and set up an appointment because I didn’t know if they were local. The man I worked with was very nice and he said we could do it on the phone. He asked me all the questions such as my salary and what I wanted to pay. He figured out what my monthly payments would be. He said he would contact the credit companies, and most of them would go along with it, which they did it. The credit card companies would not work with me, but when one credit card company said that if I get into a credit counseling insurance, my interest will be reduced and that’s what I did. Then, I put it on a bank draft, which worked for me.

The man I worked with sent me periodic updates, newsletters, and bank statements every month. While I didn't have any questions, I'd ask about my balance, like there was a couple of bills that I paid off recently. I was over ahead of time, so I had a refi coming and I was told that the company would send it, which they did. Other than that, I paid $16 a month which was fantastic. I had five bills and then my payment was $207, and $16 of that went for Cambridge's services, and the rest of it, they divided it out. In fact, I paid Walmart $20 a month and then I paid CareCredit $50 a month.

Overall, the services offered by Cambridge were very reasonable and it worked out fantastically for me. I've had a lot of financial problems but I'm getting on my feet now. I felt they could hurt my credit. It didn’t seem to because in between times, I had to borrow something from the bank, and I told them about it, and they said, “No problems.” I'm very satisfied with Cambridge. I would recommend them and if I had to, I would definitely use them again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have never dealt with any credit counselors or a company. This was my first time hearing about them. I read multiple reviews about this company and so far I’m not impressed with their customer service. I have tried multiple times trying to get ahold of the counselor I spoke with. I received one return phone call, but was unable to take it due to a personal event at that moment. Upon trying to contact “Aaron” again, I’ve been sent to voicemails with no return call. I tried to ask my questions to another individual, but was told that I would have to speak to “Aaron” directly. He hasn’t been interested in talking to me about my questions. I am not impressed with the customer service I have received so far and I haven’t agreed to what we talked about; which makes this experience even worse! If they cannot talk to someone before they are enrolled in their program, how can one have peace of mind that they can be contacted when needed?

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi Melissa, thanks for reaching out to us! We hope that our follow up call with our counseling director was satisfactory in clarifying your concerns. We want you to know that we have taken this review very seriously and we have discussed it with our team. We do want to assure you that our customer service staff is available by phone and email if you are unable to reach your counselor. We're happy that you did decide to enroll in our program, and we look forward to starting with you this month.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We had an issue with gambling with one member in our family, and we had some credit card debts. I went to Cambridge, and it was the best decision. I looked at all the reviews and at some consumer things, and they had a triple-A rating. I asked some questions and they answered them, and they communicated very well. They called back in a timely fashion if I had left a message. They did an extensive interview during the enrollment process. We did it over the phone and we went through the accounts that were of concern. They checked on their own to verify everything. The process was quick, streamlined and convenient.

They made sure all the stuff from the creditors versus the information we gave matched. They contacted us back, told us they'd work out a plan, which they did. They contacted us again, went over the plan and what it entailed, what it would cost, how much per month, how many months, how many payments, and when we could expect to be done if we kept our part of the bargain, which we did. The reps were wonderful. After taking a financial hit through the gambling from a family member, having the credit cards seemed too high. The one good thing we had in our favor was that they were all getting paid on time, but it was taking a real toll on our end worrying.

Going through Cambridge was the last resort. We wanted to pay what we owed and get some control because we understood that if they got involved, the interest rate would get frozen almost and drop to a lower thing with our promise to keep up with the payments every single month. We paid one entity, and then they dispersed all the money. The cost was reasonable. But I hope I would never have to do it again. I've been very down about it and very worried, but they were encouraging. The fee was small compared to what we were dealing with. They were able to get everything straightened out, they contacted everybody on our behalf and worked out something that was agreeable to both parties, the creditor and us.

I'm looking at this five years later. I remember one of them running over the TV program and saying, "At this point in time, you'll be debt-free.” And here we are at that time, debt-free. I was very pleased. I would highly recommend Cambridge to anybody that would be unfortunate enough to get in a credit card debt. It worked so well for us.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My daughter had used Cambridge in the past and so I also went with them. The enrollment process was easy. The service has also been great but yesterday, I was trying to call because I know I have a refund coming, and I couldn’t get through to an agent by their telephone system. It was very frustrating. I finally gave up and hung up. Other than that, the cost of the service was good and the payments were easily set up by Cambridge. I was able to get a new furnace and I'm also debt free now because of the program. Overall, my experience with Cambridge was very positive.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I had gotten into some credit card debt and somebody was talking about Cambridge on the radio. So I reached out to Cambridge and it sounded like they could help. When I first started with them, they got everything set up. And once everything was set up, it was pretty automatic. I communicated with their reps when I had to reschedule a couple of payments and it was really easy. They were always pleasant to talk to and very helpful. They were easy to work with, to get into their system, and to get in touch with people there. Everything that they said happened, and I was able to pay off all my credit cards so much faster and I was freed financially. They were super friendly and every experience that I had with them was positive.

I was with Cambridge for about five years and my last payment was in September. I’m out of credit card debt now and that’s a life-changing thing. It’s something I don’t have the burden of anymore. The fact that I was able to do it through Cambridge, not only saved me a lot of time but a lot of money. I would recommend them to anybody and everybody that were looking to get out of a credit card debt. Cambridge would definitely be able to help them out.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was at a point where I couldn’t keep up with the credit card payments. I reached out through my employer and I was recommended by them to Cambridge. I spoke to a guy named George, and I like him. He was very personable and he explained everything in a way that I could understand what was gonna happen. He was also patient with my questions. I also like what Cambridge has offered so I went with them. The enrollment process was easy. I just had to identify the cards and provide the last statement. I also paid off the lowest balances first, so that helped my credit faster than if I just started with the highest one. The payments were automatically taken from my account every month and the cost was reasonable. It was $15 a month.

Cambridge lowered most of the credit cards’ interest rates. We also lowered the payment for a couple of months, and they figured all that out with the different credit cards. And then whenever I called, they were always quick to find an answer about what my balance was. Also, once the program has been set up, I didn’t really have to think about it, except for having the money in my account on the right day. I eventually got divorced, and so having the program already set up really simplified the divorce. The whole process worked perfectly. I used to have $180,000 in credit card debt but now, my credit is way up in the 700's again.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I had an experience in the past that my money was taken and ended without proper use. After my research, I decided that Cambridge was a good program for me to get into. They provided me with debt consolidation services where I could make payment with no pressure of having to pay too much out of pocket. When I enrolled, the lady was very nice and very comforting to reassure me that they were gonna help me any way they could. My counselor also answered my questions to my satisfaction. He was honest and took care of my financial problems.

It was reassuring to know that their customer support was checking me on any concern about my situation, and making sure that my payments were still okay for me to still be paid without any problem. I have completed the program and my experience had been wonderful. Working with Cambridge has relieved a lot of financial pressure and helped me to take care of my responsibilities without any pressure. At this time, I'm referring a family member to Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I was having trouble with my credit card debt and I heard good stuff about Cambridge Credit Counseling. Their enrollment process was easy and the guy who helped me enroll was nice. Also, I liked the payment plan that they set up for the debt consolidation and the program helped me get out of debt. Cambridge was a blessing and I would recommend them. In fact, I've told some of my friends and family about them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had two credit cards and the interest rates were really high. Cambridge said they could help me pay the cards off and that was what they did. The counselors were very nice people and they were very knowledgeable. I had no problem getting in contact with them. They told me every month when they would send in the payment and how much they sent in. The payment plan wasn't difficult and it took me about two years to pay them off because they were really up there. I just got a letter from them saying that everything was completed and I got statements from the two credit card companies that it was $0 that I owe. Cambridge is a wonderful company that really helps you get on track and they got me straight. I am so grateful and happy that I don’t have to put out all that money. They have a way of working out with the company and the interest rates came down for them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I needed help with my credit card debt and the payment plan that Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. set up for it was all right. It went on for three years and now the debt is already paid off. I felt though that I paid a lot to be in the program because over the three years, I paid around $1,000 which I might have saved otherwise. Other than that, I'm glad to be relieved of the payments.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I knew for a fact that I wouldn’t be able to pay off my two cards on my own. So I called Cambridge and they've helped me out well. The person that I got was good, and the enrollment was simple and easy. I just gave them my information and 1-2-3, it was up and running. So far, it’s going okay. The only downside is that the cards are cancelled. But Cambridge helped me get rid of those crazy credit cards. They also saved me a lot of hassle and money from interest fees. So it’s worth it. Cambridge has my approval. The quality of service is good and so far, it’s been a good experience. They’re say what they’re gonna do and they do it. The counselor called me when he had time, and was kind and informative. He gave me a due date for the payment plan and he’s only waiting for my checking and routing numbers. That would be the completion.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've dealt with Cambridge Credit Counseling before and I felt comfortable with them so I used them again. I had an issue when I first tried to make contact with them again. I had someone that I didn’t particularly care for that took the call initially. So I called back a couple of minutes later and spoke to someone else. The guy was able to accommodate me, consolidate everything, and get everything rolling. He just got right to the business and that was what I wanted to do. I just faxed over the information, and we went from there.

I had a lot of debt and I was on their program for about four and a half years. I paid $196 a month and it worked okay. The first time I went through them, my payment was a little higher. Their customer support was good. As long as they have my email, they kept me abreast of what was going on, what payment came off first, or what was finished paying for first. They just emailed me and let me know. Cambridge was very good and I've recommended them to other people.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had a lot of credit card debts that I was trying to consolidate after the interest rates went up so high. I got Cambridge's services and the enrollment went really smoothly. They got my interest rate lowered on the credit cards then they consolidated it all into one payment that I made to them and they posted it. Everyone of the staff that I’ve spoken with was very helpful and very kind. We had great interactions. The payment plan setup was great too and I’m glad to be done with the program now. Cambridge was a huge help because otherwise, I would have been paying all those credit cards forever. I wouldn't have had any idea how to talk with the credit companies to get the interest rate lowered and go through all that. I would highly recommend Cambridge to anybody who needs their service.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I saw Cambridge Credit in the phonebook and I took the chance with them because I've talked to other people and I wasn't getting anywhere. Nobody could tell me anything and the bank would just charge me a whole lot more interest in getting my credit cards off. We did everything over the phone when we enrolled with Cambridge, and it went really well. If I had any questions, I would call and ask Steve, and he would explain it to me. If I couldn’t get a hold of him, then I would talk to somebody else, and they helped me out too. I went through their program for four years and I've paid off over $10,000 of credit card debt. I'm really happy with that. I’ve talked to other people about Cambridge, and they thought that the amount I was paying was pretty high. But that’s the way things work. You have to pay for services. I was satisfied with Cambridge and I was glad when it was all done and over with. I’m debt-free.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I got married and had a lot of debt going into the marriage. My mother used Cambridge and told me that she would recommend using them. I enrolled in their credit consolidation program, and working with them definitely helped. I got my debt paid off.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Cambridge walked me through every step of the way. I got into their credit card consolidation program and my experience was very good. Cambridge's counselors were very appropriate, offered good advice, and my payments are done. The cost was very reasonable, too. I would recommend Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had some extremely high credit card bills. Cambridge considered everything that I had and they worked out a financial plan for me that I could afford. The program worked really well and that helped me to pay off my bills. I was able to complete the program. However, I had difficulty towards the end when the bills were hitting pretty low and I had to adjust the payment. Also, there were times when I had trouble getting the correct amount paid and I called in and told them the actual price. We had miscommunication and things didn’t get done exactly right.

I ended up overpaying on one account and then when I was scheduled to make the last payment, I had the amount worked out and had that all set up. They transferred me to someone else to stop my electronic funds transfer, which should have been stopped after the last month’s payment, but they ended up stopping it too soon. So I had to do last month’s payment and deal with all that problem. Nevertheless, Cambridge made things a lot more convenient and I was very well-satisfied with the quality of their service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Cambridge's program worked great. When I called, most of the time I had different people, but I had one guy that would call me to keep me updated. They were always very informative and they always threw the answer on everything I asked. The cost is great, too. Cambridge helped me out quite a bit, and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had cancer and there was a lot of things going on in my life at that particular moment so I thought I needed help. I went online and started looking at different places that would help me. Cambridge came up and happened to have the best reviews and people were saying good things about them. I gave them a call and asked them how they would handle things. From the moment I started working with them, they handled things in a really good way that made me feel good.

They called the company that I owed the debt to and worked out the payment plan. They came back and made sure it was okay and that I could afford it. We went through what my financial obligations were at the time to make sure that I would definitely fit into my schedule and I wouldn’t wind up getting myself into a worse situation than I was already in. They knew how much I was making and what my bills were approximately per month. They took that into consideration to come up with a figure which was doable for me and where I wasn't gonna be stressed every month. I was set up from the get-go and then it ran smoothly from there.

I had a specific person who took me from the beginning all the way through setting the payments up and the first few months, I would talk to him to make sure I was doing things correctly. Also, every once in a while, they would check in with me via e-mail or phone call to see how everything was going and if everything was good. Everything went fantastic with them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Cambridge paid my bill. They had a monthly fee that was tacked on, they cut down the interest rate and I just paid it every month on automatic withdrawal. The payment plan was doable. But at first, I thought the fee I had to pay was a lot and trying to pay off a bill and having to pay in addition to that seems counterintuitive to me. But then it was fine and they did their job. I wanted to pay off a bill and they set up a program, and that’s all I needed.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Enrolling with Cambridge was really easy. They asked me how much I could afford and they set up the payment. I worked with a few of their counselors and they pretty much knew what I was wanting to do. I called them a few times and they were able to tell me how the program was going. It was really easy to talk to them, and they sent me a monthly bill statement. They set up the payment plan to where they paid more of the highest interest rate first. So it looked like they knew what they were doing. I've completed the program and it worked out good.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I had a lot of credit card debt and was looking to consolidate and get out of it. I mentioned it in front of my parents’ friends and they told me that they have gone with Cambridge and that the company is awesome. I started seeing results after about a year but it took me five years clear up my debt. At first, going with the payment plan was difficult because I wasn’t working a lot of hours. As the credit card debt got down, I called and told them I couldn’t afford to make those payments. One of my bills was paid off and I asked if they could do a reduction and they were able to.

They’re very professional, friendly and they care about the client. I dealt with a couple of different people from Cambridge and every time I called or had a question about anything, they were always right on top of it and answered it very politely. They called to check and to see how things were going and if they needed any further assistance with anything. That was the best thing and that impressed me the most.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg