67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

4.9/5 (126 ratings)
Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

About Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: May 7, 2022

The customer service reps were friendly, polite, professional and able to answer my questions. It took me from a place where I got in over my head with the fact that I had two small children, who I needed to provide daycare before and after school. And I was okay, until the person who was doing my home daycare could no longer do it. So I had to move to a center, which was much more expensive. Then I had a series of things with my car breaking down, and it was the case where things got maxed out. I was managing to stay ahead, but barely. I was one tragedy away from something putting me over the edge. So, I called Cambridge and they were able to lower interest rates and payments. It was nice to have just one payment a month to them.

The reps were very helpful and responsive. I had a set date for the 19th of the month for a payment and sometimes, the 19th was the day before payday. If I call them and ask if I could change the date to the 20th, they would say there’s no problem. When I called, someone always answered the phone, which was a miracle because now, you can't get anyone to answer the phone. Periodically, a couple times a year, Cambridge would check in with you and see how it was going, if anything needed to change, if there were any accounts that needed to be added and if I felt this was working. So, they were proactive.

Immediately, creditors stopped calling and payments dropped. You still get a monthly statement and I wasn’t opening a bill and seeing it would be paid off in 27 years. I saw that it would be paid off within a four-year period. I could anticipate being debt-free. I've finished my program with Cambridge and I would highly recommend them.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

What a great story and and great personal triumph for you! We are so happy for you and wish you continued success in your future!

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Cambridge helped me finish off some bills. They went through to see what my problem was and they took my credit cards, my Walmart bill and another bill. There were four bills they took, combined them together and made it a monthly payment. They explained to me what we would do and how much it would be for me one payment a month, and how much they would charge me, which was low. And if I had any questions or anything, they gave me a customer service number, which I could get in touch with them. And they put the payment after my check came in. The program worked well. They said it would be three years before it would end. They gave me the month it would, which it did end in that month, and I'm finished with it.

We started with three items to put in the program. The rep was very nice and wasn't fast-talking. She made sure that I understood what we were talking about. Two months later, she called me back and said that she came up with another one to put in and they adjusted where we put a fourth one in. So, I didn't even realize it was the fourth one that needs to go in. So, they put the fourth one in, which didn't take my bill up. Six months later, she called me back and asked me if I felt it took me over my limit, was my payment coming out on time, or if I had any problems with it.

She was constantly in touch for the first year. And she told me it would be like that. After that, I was mainly in touch with customer service. My payments came out early. So, I would just call and do the payment automatically for them and let them know I had already paid it so it wouldn’t come out again, and talked to customer service. And their customer service people were good. If I changed my phone number, I would call and give them that, and they were polite. When I got one of them paid off, I called to see if I could get another card on there and they explained it was best that I didn't put the card on there because of the type of card it was. But they were patient and nice about everything.

Someone went into my account and put some money out of my banking account, which messed their payment up. I called and told them that they may miss a payment and why, and they said okay. They waited until the money was back into the account so my it wouldn't be charged. And when I called and told them the money was in there, they went in and took their money then. So, they worked with me. It was a good company to work with.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Working with Cambridge was an easy process. I loved it and I'm glad I did it. It helped me a lot. Customer service sent me my statement every month through email. If I had any questions, I would call them with regards to payments that they made or did not make. But I was a little confused as to why they were still collecting the same amount once an account got paid off. I wasn't sure if they were putting more towards another account. I would call and they would say, "Yes, we add that payment to something else so we could bring it down sooner." It took me a while to understand that because I just thought once an account was paid off, then the money will be less because the money that was already separated for that particular account was already used.

Also, there are two credit cards on my thing that had very small balances. Cambridge would alert me, "This account is paid off. Call the creditor to send you the refund." I thought that once the balance was paid off, the creditor would automatically send it to me. I didn't think I would have to call them to say, "Okay, so I have a little leftover. Are you sending it to me?" I just left it because there was so little that was owed to me.

If Credit Counselling is handling the account, they should let the creditor know, "Okay, there's a refund, so send it to the client" or collect whatever was left over at their end and send me one check for everything. That would be easier than us having to go through all that. Other than that, everything was great overall. The one thing I liked is that because the refunds weren't so much and they were only $1 or $2 meant that they went to the extreme of calculating what was going to be due and not have so many over. That's fantastic in itself.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I was very satisfied with Cambridge's rep. His name was Tim and he was very direct with me. He proceeded to tell me how much he would have to take out of my account. I told him my situation, about the number of credit cards I had, and that I was primarily receiving disability. He encouraged me to go ahead and have my credit cards consolidated through them. I was under some stress because I was paying high rent where I lived but I managed to come up with the amount every month for about four years. They kept the same amount that they took out of my credit card every month and they were very consistent all through my interaction with them. I got some good advice from them, too. When I was first starting, Tim said that I could possibly have one or two credit cards. But I didn't want any credit cards at the time and decided I would not have any until I paid my debts off. Tim was awesome and I appreciate him.

Cambridge's reps didn't harass me constantly either. I used to call them up from time to time just to check my account but I didn’t feel like I had to call them up that much because I felt that confident in them. It was a miracle for me to pay off those credit cards and I wouldn't ever have done it without Cambridge. They really saved my life because I was at a point where I didn't know what I was going to do. I also called them a few weeks ago and asked for some more business cards so I can share it with other people.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Getting out of debt would have taken me forever if it wasn't for Cambridge. They were able to consolidate some of my credit cards and other debts, get my interest rates down, and pay it off a lot sooner, which helped me make my credit better. My credit score’s going up. I fluctuate between 680 and 704, depending on how much I put on my one card before it gets reported back. Before, I was at the very low 600 and when I first started, I was below that. The problem was I wasn't managing my finances and Cambridge enabled me to learn how to do that. The biggest impact it had was teaching me that I needed to follow a budget and allocate my money instead of just free-falling it.

I got an email about one of their tools, the budget tool, and I didn't use it, but I created my own Excel spreadsheet. When you're doing it on your head, that's not a budget. I have all my bills listed, and after I put it into my spreadsheet, I would see how much I would have left over and I knew not to go over that. I could see what I could spend on groceries and other things right there. It makes a real difference when you sit down, make a budget and see what you're doing with your money. I make a spreadsheet every mid-month, and I do it religiously. It has helped me get myself back on track.

Cambridge taught me the importance of managing my money. I have two paychecks a month and every so many months, it winds up being three in a month. Before, I had to spend an entire check on my rent. Now, I can split that between two, and I put away half of it with my first check and half of it with the second and third. I'm not cramped each pay day. I got room to pay my other bills, have money for myself and save some and/or put towards lowering my debt.

I've gotten rid of three other credit cards since then. Now, I have four, but I just opened one of them. It's like a Walmart card and I use that to pay bills and expenses. I use it to get the points and then I pay it off right away with the money out of my account. So far, I've had it for three months, and I've earned $50 towards paying off that credit card. I also removed my account from a no-interest bank, and I moved it over to Capital One, which I'm earning interest on my checking and on savings every month. While my money’s sitting there, it's working for me and I've been able to put savings away.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Cambridge is easy to work with. They look at the total that you have then set you up with a payment plan. It’s an affordable payment, too, versus trying to pay six or seven things at different rates. They don’t pressure you. You can do it in a way that helps pay things off without feeling overwhelmed. They also offer education. One thing that I learned was waiting to pay your bill when you get the bill is already too late. If you use a credit card and you pay it off before the statement date, you avoid interest. They don’t bombard you with emails. But when you get those emails, if you click on them and watch the little video, it does help. They do what they say they're going to do. If they say they're going to call you back, they call you back. I had trouble with one of my companies sending me a collection letter but the rep took care of it. I had an overall very good experience.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hello David. So glad we were able to help! We wish you continued financial success.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Cambridge helped me to clear up my debt. They made it easy and the payment was auto deducted. I was very satisfied.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Congratulations Barbara! So happy we could help.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Cambridge responded really quickly. They offered additional ways to monitor my credit and suggestions on how to improve it. That was good. It was information that I could use in the future. The program got me on track and on focus trying to stay ahead of the game and avoid as much unnecessary debt as possible. It made me more conscious of spending allocations of hard-earned funds. My experiences with the reps were always positive and encouraging. They listen to me. I work a lot so they didn't call a lot. A lot of the communication was via text or they'd send me something through email. I appreciated that.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi Jimetta! Thank you for your review. We are so happy we were able to help and get you back on track. Congratulations!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I was very badly in debt so Cambridge put me on a plan for three years. They took 200 out of my account every month on the 6th and last month was the last. I only had a $35 payment. They helped me a lot. There were times I had to scramble 200 into my account every month, but they were very good about it. If I needed them, I’d probably use them again.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Thank you for sharing your story with us and everyone Linda! Congratulations and we are always here if you have any questions or need anything!

Original review: June 2, 2022

Cambridge was awesome. It gave me a great opportunity in having a direction when it came to handling some of the debt that I was dealing with at the time. About halfway through, I had hit another financial hardship, so we had to manage payments down a little bit. Once you pay an account off, that money that you're paying then goes towards the next set. They took that off altogether so I was still paying the same amount to the companies I still owe. But they said could reduce it and it helped a lot. It went down $4,200 a month. I would still be paying but we came into some money so I went ahead and paid off the money I had in collections. We had done that for one other debt that I'd had a year ago so that helped a lot cut the time down.

Every time I'm on Facebook and someone says, “I'm dealing with a lot of debt, and I'm not sure what to do,” I always mention Cambridge. It's worth it. The only downside was that the accounts had to be closed ‘cause I was so delinquent on them. But that was something I was willing to do, ‘cause at the time I was having a hard time keeping them. It hit my credit at first, but watching my credit build over time has been great. Knowing that that debt is paid off and I don't have to worry about it anymore is a great relief.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi Courtney! I am so pleased that we were able to help you. We wish you much continued success in your financial future!

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor