2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.78/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I was watching TV and an advertisement came on, and I called that particular number. I was told that they didn't service the area that I'm living in, but Cambridge did. So, I called and from then on, I was one of Cambridge's clients. The service was great, It was the best thing I ever did in my life. I couldn't believe how fast I got out of debt. Their customer service is superb to none. Every time I call, even if I call a couple of times a week because when it got close to the final payment, I was pretty anxious, so I was trying to make sure that everything was still on as far as the date of my completion.

Cambridge’s enrollment process was easy. The man that signed me up was very helpful. I gave him the information that morning and I was all set to go shortly after I gave him the information. It didn't take very long at all for him to get everything figured out and call me back and tell me what my payments would be and how long that I will be on the program. It was an easy process. I would recommend it to anyone that was in a lot of debt. I was in a lot of credit card debt and I was very stressed out until I got on their program.

I just received my completion papers from Cambridge last Friday. I’m done. I paid off $27,000 in four years. I was very comfortable with the payment because with my income, I could afford it. With me paying $35 here, $25 there, 50 here, 125 and $661 even. I was out of about over 1,000 and something trying to pinch it out, and it just looked like my money was being wasted because none of my balances was really going down.

Once I got with Cambridge, they got with my creditors, got the balances down to if not zero, to almost nothing interest. And everything just started. Once the bills started getting paid off, they just started coming back to back. Every pay off, I will get a notice from them and a notice from my creditor that I had completed and the bill was paid in full. I have a stack of bills along with the letter that Cambridge sent me last week for my completion.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We were told twice in the last six months that we would be paid off in July, and we weren't. We still owed 600. I called and the first person I talked to, which was the counselor that I originally set it up with, said it would be to our advantage if we could take the money out of our savings to pay off the 600. We wouldn't have to pay them the $50 for the month of July and we wouldn't get anything extra for paying it off early, but it would be specified to being paid off. We ended up paying too much to a couple of the companies and we got money back, which wasn't a problem. I said that they were all paid off, they had cleared the bank. I told her not to take out the money in July ‘cause, otherwise, they were taking it out automatically. She said she would mark it down and she put me on a recorded thing.

Then I asked the second person I talked to if I was doing this the right way. She tried to convince me not to do it. She told me that I would not get a letter saying we had paid it off, and it would say we had not completed the program. That kinda upset me, but I didn't care. I called back and talked to that other girl. She said she didn't know who that person was. Everything that person said, she would look into it because she didn't know why anybody would tell me that.

A month later, we got an email or a text message from Cambridge that we have not paid anything in the last couple of months and that we owe $125, and to please contact them immediately, so I did. I got this gentleman on the phone. He looked at it and said that he found what happened and that all we had to do was send him an email saying we have completed it. I asked if he would send me something, then confirming it, and he did. Up until then, I was surely satisfied. The problem was paying off the last month. I just got a $5 I wasn't expecting two weeks ago, ‘cause they were overpaid.

When talking about your credit, it scares you because it is so important. Having this big bill paid has just been a lifesaver because every month now we have money that we do not have assigned to anything. We're gonna have to buy a car and my husband needs handicap equipment. It's been just a blessing. One of the things that I liked was when I called, I always got my questions answered. Even when that guy said he found out what happened, he didn't explain to me, but he told me what to do to fix it, and he did it. I would highly recommend Cambridge.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I had used Cambridge to pay off a collection account on my credit report. And then, I had gotten into some credit card debts. I got into their debt management plan. They consolidated it for me. I knew how the program worked which made me feel a little bit more comfortable. First, we went through a budget sheet over the phone. Second thing, we pulled a soft inquiry of the credit report. I was including everything that I could. Then, they calculated the payment. I was pretty much my own counselor at the beginning. The benefits that we get are all put in place by the creditors. They tell us what they come down to on the interest rate, and what percentage of the balance that they want as the minimum payment. So it's plugged into that. Then I'd decide if I wanna enroll or not.

The program caused me to budget a little bit better and develop a plan to save money. I was able to monitor everything. I didn't get any calls from creditors. Cambridge checked in with me every once in a while. I got a statement monthly. I still got statements from the creditors so I still saw activity on my accounts and the plan working. I was still able to call in at any time and get any information I needed. It definitely improved my credit. I was able to get the credit card offers that I got initially because of the collection account I paid off through them. Then they were able to help me once I got myself into trouble. There were a lot of different educational articles they have available that give a lot of information to try to keep me from getting into those situations in the future. I've paid it off already.

It definitely helps in the long run. It takes a hit at the credit in the beginning just because the account’s closing, which is understandable. They're lowering the interest rates. It's all straightforward. They go over everything upfront. It's a free evaluation so I don't pay anything just to see what they can do for me either, which made it nice. And at the very least, they give some advice. It was a great experience. I'm getting to where I wanna be.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I reached out to the rep from Cambridge five years ago and they explained how they work. They would do all the negotiation on behalf of me and it would not affect my credit. I would still be paying off everything I owe just with a reduced interest rate. I was looking to improve my situation and Cambridge provided that service. They were very helpful along the way with any questions I had. Since my sister-in-law recommended them, there was a trust factor there already to begin with.

When I enrolled, everything went very smoothly. They gave us a spreadsheet to do a budget so it wasn’t just giving us a quick fix. You need to take a look at your expenses and see the big picture. They ran a credit check so they had everything on me. I keep a spreadsheet of everything that's open as well. I knew how much I was paying monthly and I knew something needed to be done. So, whatever they came up with was fine. I saw a timeline and I knew by this way, the cards would be closed and it would get paid off. They consolidated for me quite a few credit cards and they negotiated the rates on them. It was one payment a month and if I did not make that, which came automatically out of my checking account, then I would be right back where I started from. So, it was one payment paying off so many things. My end date and time ended a few months before I thought it would end.

I was very comfortable working with Cambridge. Everything was very open between us. There were one or two cards which I would’ve liked to include. But they said that if I cancelled those, I would have to cancel all my accounts through them, which I could not do because we have cards that we use for business. They worked with me through email or through phone calls to address any concerns. They sent out periodic surveys to see where we were or how our situation had changed. We had some changes throughout that period so they were always very open if we wanted to add anything else. In the end, it worked out.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I got put into a lot of debt due to my inept husband and I'm on disability so I did some research and looked at reviews. Cambridge had some great reviews so I decided to go ahead and try them, and they had been nothing but helpful. If I had any questions or changes, they made sure that I had all the knowledge available. I usually get an email from the same person. But if I had a question about my account, they were all helpful. They also worked with me if I wanted to make extra payments.

There was only one thing that I sort of had an issue with. On my very last payment, Cambridge had called asking me to confirm the amount being taken out and I called the creditor and confirmed the amount. Then I called Cambridge and let them know what the total amount was. But when the money was actually pulled out of my account, it was more than what was said. I was expecting at least $50 less than what was actually taken out. So I guess you just have to make sure that the creditors include everything, like the fees, in what they’re telling you.

But I was with Cambridge for a bit and when money got a little bit tight, I called them and they said they had paid off a couple of the bills and that they could lower my payment but that it would be longer to pay my debt off. If I needed that for a couple of months, they did that as well. They just told me to call the creditor if I want to pay them off and finally figure out the best way to get everything paid off in detail, with the fees and all that kind of stuff. Each time that I talked to a representative, they were amazing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

The ease of the processing made me decide to go with Cambridge and I have less worries in speaking to all the different creditors since I've been with them. The interaction with the people was good and I was impressed with the knowledge. They set up a fixed rate and a fixed monthly payment over whatever the time period was. I’ve had a good experience and I would recommend Cambridge.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I started with them three years ago and the lady did some stuff over the phone and sent me some stuff to the email. Once I set everything up, it was seamless. They took the payment out of my checking account monthly.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I wanted to liquidate some bills. There was a lady that told me she went through Cambridge. Since I didn't know anybody else, I chose Cambridge too. I paid them every month and they liquidated my three bills. It was strictly business. “This is what we’re gonna do. This is how much you have to pay.” The cost was okay. If something happened, where I couldn't pay the whole thing or I had a rough time, I just paid whatever I could. I'm on a fixed income and I'm elderly. I have serious health issues. I’m all paid off so now I’m good. I'm glad it's over.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I had Cambridge in my file. I connected with them when I had my medical issues. They helped me out when I needed it. They were there and they were courteous. Cambridge is fine other than my nephew said it was too high-priced. I'm all paid off and my family helped me out. Overall, I thank Cambridge for their help but I hope I never do have to use it again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I maxed out a lot of credit cards. I got hurt and was out of work for almost three months. Things just piled up on me. I was never able to catch up and I went behind and behind. I was never able to recover from that. I ended up doing a consolidation with Cambridge. Customer service was very helpful and they pretty much answered all my questions. Everything was pretty good. There were a lot of things that I didn't know about initially and I didn't even know what to ask. I've been with their program for two and a half years. Right now, I don't know what my credit score is. I thought they were gonna be able to give me that but they didn't. But overall, Cambridge did pretty well and they helped me out.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor