67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

4.9/5 (126 ratings)
Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

About Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: July 14, 2021

I was very satisfied with Cambridge's rep. His name was Tim and he was very direct with me. He proceeded to tell me how much he would have to take out of my account. I told him my situation, about the number of credit cards I had, and that I was primarily receiving disability. He encouraged me to go ahead and have my credit cards consolidated through them. I was under some stress because I was paying high rent where I lived but I managed to come up with the amount every month for about four years. They kept the same amount that they took out of my credit card every month and they were very consistent all through my interaction with them. I got some good advice from them, too. When I was first starting, Tim said that I could possibly have one or two credit cards. But I didn't want any credit cards at the time and decided I would not have any until I paid my debts off. Tim was awesome and I appreciate him.

Cambridge's reps didn't harass me constantly either. I used to call them up from time to time just to check my account but I didn’t feel like I had to call them up that much because I felt that confident in them. It was a miracle for me to pay off those credit cards and I wouldn't ever have done it without Cambridge. They really saved my life because I was at a point where I didn't know what I was going to do. I also called them a few weeks ago and asked for some more business cards so I can share it with other people.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Getting out of debt would have taken me forever if it wasn't for Cambridge. They were able to consolidate some of my credit cards and other debts, get my interest rates down, and pay it off a lot sooner, which helped me make my credit better. My credit score’s going up. I fluctuate between 680 and 704, depending on how much I put on my one card before it gets reported back. Before, I was at the very low 600 and when I first started, I was below that. The problem was I wasn't managing my finances and Cambridge enabled me to learn how to do that. The biggest impact it had was teaching me that I needed to follow a budget and allocate my money instead of just free-falling it.

I got an email about one of their tools, the budget tool, and I didn't use it, but I created my own Excel spreadsheet. When you're doing it on your head, that's not a budget. I have all my bills listed, and after I put it into my spreadsheet, I would see how much I would have left over and I knew not to go over that. I could see what I could spend on groceries and other things right there. It makes a real difference when you sit down, make a budget and see what you're doing with your money. I make a spreadsheet every mid-month, and I do it religiously. It has helped me get myself back on track.

Cambridge taught me the importance of managing my money. I have two paychecks a month and every so many months, it winds up being three in a month. Before, I had to spend an entire check on my rent. Now, I can split that between two, and I put away half of it with my first check and half of it with the second and third. I'm not cramped each pay day. I got room to pay my other bills, have money for myself and save some and/or put towards lowering my debt.

I've gotten rid of three other credit cards since then. Now, I have four, but I just opened one of them. It's like a Walmart card and I use that to pay bills and expenses. I use it to get the points and then I pay it off right away with the money out of my account. So far, I've had it for three months, and I've earned $50 towards paying off that credit card. I also removed my account from a no-interest bank, and I moved it over to Capital One, which I'm earning interest on my checking and on savings every month. While my money’s sitting there, it's working for me and I've been able to put savings away.

Original review: May 25, 2021

A friend of mine at church told me about Cambridge and she had good reports, so I decided to talk with them. The enrollment was a very smooth process and the payment plan that they gave me was based on how much I owed. They asked me what was comfortable for me to pay every month and it worked out well. The counselor that I worked with was very professional yet very compassionate. Other people just want to tell you what to do but he was willing to listen to me and guide me on the right path. I was very comfortable working with Cambridge and they consolidated my account together to give me a good rate. I also liked that they represented me with all the companies that I had a card with to get me a good rate. I had 0% with some of them, so it was good to have somebody who knows what they’re doing fight for you.

One of their reps told me that if I don't need a card, I don't have to open a card. They were always patient and and the lady there said that when I was done, I could use that amount that I've been paying to Cambridge all these years as a savings. And I've been trying. Cambridge is more like family because they listen to you and help you out. They always update you and once you have your account number, they always send your statement every month. So you can always log in into your account and it gives a breakdown. And now that I'm done, they sent a whole report from day one of everything that we paid. And they even give you a certificate, so that's cool. All in all, the program has helped me to be mindful of my finances and to be careful about the interest rates.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Initially, Cambridge went ahead and got all the interest rates reduced. Some of them were even zero. They dealt with the institution, so I didn't have to do any of that, and then, they set up a payment plan with the vendors. My payments were the same in total, but it was getting paid off a lot sooner than had I paid at the original interest rate. They also closed the accounts, which helped because then, I was not using those, otherwise, I would be tempted to use them if they were open. There was one issue with one of the creditors, and Cambridge was able to talk to them and find out what was going on for me. It was very quick and I didn't have to wait.

Every time I called for information, or if I had a question, there was someone there who would answer it. Other people could look up my account and they were very confident. I didn't always have to talk to my initial representative. They explained everything very well. A lot of companies are all voicemail, and can't get a real person, so it was nice to be able to actually talk to the rep. Once they take out my payment and distribute them, I don't have to worry about it anymore. It was just waiting those three years was the difficult part because it was a big payment.

I ended in March this year and it was a big chunk of debt that was paid off. They were very flexible. There were a few months where I had to change my payment date and they were very helpful and did that easily. Just not having that burden of the credit on my shoulders and all those payments was great. I wish I would have taken advantage of the other things they can utilize like doing a budget or talking to them about re-budgeting.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I found Cambridge through my boyfriend. We both bowl, and we found it through our league. The enrollment process was simple and self-explanatory. The beginning was easy. The only thing I wish they would have informed me on was when I was able to pay off everything, the numbers were not going to be exact. I ended up owing companies after I did my payoff amount. It was irritating because whenever I spoke with the representative, they told me that all amounts should either be exact or they'll pay more, and I should get a refund back. That was definitely not the case.

Instead of Cambridge being the consulting company, I had to call out to each individual company to see what they were paying towards the amount and how much I would end up owing. It was more of a hassle and a nuisance than anything. If I'm paying them fees every month to take care of my accounts, then that should have been handled on their end. One of the things that we also noticed was, they would tell me how much they were taking out and putting towards each account, but they never told me what my balances were on those accounts.

That was another thing that I had to do. I was in serious debt, and I had multiple different companies. It was taking me hours and hours to figure out what I owed each company or what my balance was. I paid off all my debt and every person I ever worked with was great. I never had any issues, but instead of being a "Yes, ma'am. No, ma'am" kind of person, they could be more open with the process and how much I'm gonna have to pay as well as what I'd end up owing.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Cambridge helped me out with one of my credit cards that was getting out of control. I was able to get ahead on it and restructured it. I got the 0% interest loan on it and was able to pay it off. It took four years and went faster than I expected. Cambridge helped get the budgeting part of my life straightened. They have a lot of good tools and a lot of good people work for them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

They sent me brochures, paperwork, and things that could help me better balance my schedule and my money. They reached out to me with help and they were very good. Anytime I call them about a concern about a bill or a payment, they're very helpful. Also, it's helpful to know that I can receive my monthly statements. I can keep track of what's been paid and how much my balance is. Cambridge sends out a monthly statement every month of how much they have paid out and my balance on what I owe from the beginning. Anyone who really wants to get out of debt needs to try Cambridge.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I was recommended to Cambridge by my son-in-law and I will also refer them to other clients. He had gone through the program and said that Cambridge saved his credit. I enjoyed working with Cambridge. If I had any situations, they were ready, willing and able to help me. I was informed about everything. I got a monthly statement and if there was anything else once it was paid out, they sent me a notice telling me to call the business because I might have a refund. Everything was documented throughout the whole process. When the bills came, I could see that the payments were being made so it worked well for me. I just wish other institutions were open to the programs. Credit card companies do, but banks wouldn't take part in it. All of my debts probably would have been paid off by now if they did.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The reps at Cambridge were very helpful and explained everything very well. It sold me on the program and figured it was one way in order to get my credit back on track. Now, I know enough to pay my payments and don't let them be late.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

The program was very successful. I'm completely finished with it and my credit is definitely better. Anything you needed help with, Cambridge would really do what they could to help you.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor