67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

4.9/5 (120 ratings)
Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

About Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Cambridge is a good company to work with, and they were responsible. Anytime I had to call to ask questions, they were very knowledgeable and helpful. They had good customer service. Also, I was able to log online and see my progress, which I liked. I had a person that told us about the program and set us up. He also talked to us about what will happen and the timeframe that it would take to pay off our bills, and gave us instructions on what to do. He was very thorough.

They told us what our payment would be with each creditor, and how long it would take to pay it off. They asked if we were in agreement with that, which we were. They told us what date our payment will be drafted, how much their fees would be, and how much we would have to pay. We opted to have our payment drafted. The fee was reasonable. Everything was pretty clear and straightforward.

There was one time that I called and I wanted to pay a certain creditor off next, and everything was smooth. But towards the tail end of the program, it was a little bit more difficult to get ahold of someone. It seemed like something changed with customer service. When I called, the person asked, “Is this your first contact? Is this your first time calling about this issue?” I said no and that I called the other day. Then they said, “We'll have a person call you.” I didn't like that part of it because I had a little bit of trouble getting through. But at the very end, I called the number that I had on my statement, and it was the same way it was in the past where you get to speak to somebody quickly. I'm done with my program, and I'm satisfied. I had good customer service and they did what they were supposed to do.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Glad we could help Angela! We are always here if you need us.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The customer service reps were friendly, polite, professional and able to answer my questions. It took me from a place where I got in over my head with the fact that I had two small children, who I needed to provide daycare before and after school. And I was okay, until the person who was doing my home daycare could no longer do it. So I had to move to a center, which was much more expensive. Then I had a series of things with my car breaking down, and it was the case where things got maxed out. I was managing to stay ahead, but barely. I was one tragedy away from something putting me over the edge. So, I called Cambridge and they were able to lower interest rates and payments. It was nice to have just one payment a month to them.

The reps were very helpful and responsive. I had a set date for the 19th of the month for a payment and sometimes, the 19th was the day before payday. If I call them and ask if I could change the date to the 20th, they would say there’s no problem. When I called, someone always answered the phone, which was a miracle because now, you can't get anyone to answer the phone. Periodically, a couple times a year, Cambridge would check in with you and see how it was going, if anything needed to change, if there were any accounts that needed to be added and if I felt this was working. So, they were proactive.

Immediately, creditors stopped calling and payments dropped. You still get a monthly statement and I wasn’t opening a bill and seeing it would be paid off in 27 years. I saw that it would be paid off within a four-year period. I could anticipate being debt-free. I've finished my program with Cambridge and I would highly recommend them.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

What a great story and and great personal triumph for you! We are so happy for you and wish you continued success in your future!

Original review: April 5, 2022

Cambridge helped me finish off some bills. They went through to see what my problem was and they took my credit cards, my Walmart bill and another bill. There were four bills they took, combined them together and made it a monthly payment. They explained to me what we would do and how much it would be for me one payment a month, and how much they would charge me, which was low. And if I had any questions or anything, they gave me a customer service number, which I could get in touch with them. And they put the payment after my check came in. The program worked well. They said it would be three years before it would end. They gave me the month it would, which it did end in that month, and I'm finished with it.

We started with three items to put in the program. The rep was very nice and wasn't fast-talking. She made sure that I understood what we were talking about. Two months later, she called me back and said that she came up with another one to put in and they adjusted where we put a fourth one in. So, I didn't even realize it was the fourth one that needs to go in. So, they put the fourth one in, which didn't take my bill up. Six months later, she called me back and asked me if I felt it took me over my limit, was my payment coming out on time, or if I had any problems with it.

She was constantly in touch for the first year. And she told me it would be like that. After that, I was mainly in touch with customer service. My payments came out early. So, I would just call and do the payment automatically for them and let them know I had already paid it so it wouldn’t come out again, and talked to customer service. And their customer service people were good. If I changed my phone number, I would call and give them that, and they were polite. When I got one of them paid off, I called to see if I could get another card on there and they explained it was best that I didn't put the card on there because of the type of card it was. But they were patient and nice about everything.

Someone went into my account and put some money out of my banking account, which messed their payment up. I called and told them that they may miss a payment and why, and they said okay. They waited until the money was back into the account so my it wouldn't be charged. And when I called and told them the money was in there, they went in and took their money then. So, they worked with me. It was a good company to work with.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

There was some kind of event held at one of the local schools in Baltimore City. I saw Cambridge there, got their literature, and read it. I decided to get my debts down because I was unsatisfied with what creditors were doing. If my balance was $500 and the minimum payment was $25, I would pay a separate additional $50. But that’s towards principal only. Instead of it going to the principal, they added service and finance charges. It seemed like I would never finish paying off people. So I said, “Let me get it into the hands of somebody and get this taken care of, and just be done with any kind of credit card.”

I met with people from Cambridge and discussed what the plan would be. They gave me a list of all the payments that would be made and the estimated time to end it. After that, I didn’t really have much contact with them because the money was coming out and I would get my statement. To keep track of my progress, I went online and checked. I opened an account so that I can see what was going on.

Being in the program, I didn't have to worry about getting the money to the creditors because Cambridge would deduct money from my account and pay my creditors. It was one smooth process. I knew when the money came out, this is what it would go to, and they would pay everybody off. I was able to get everything done in less than the time that we had anticipated because toward the end, I paid a lump sum of what was owed. Now the creditors owe me.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Working with Cambridge was an easy process. I loved it and I'm glad I did it. It helped me a lot. Customer service sent me my statement every month through email. If I had any questions, I would call them with regards to payments that they made or did not make. But I was a little confused as to why they were still collecting the same amount once an account got paid off. I wasn't sure if they were putting more towards another account. I would call and they would say, "Yes, we add that payment to something else so we could bring it down sooner." It took me a while to understand that because I just thought once an account was paid off, then the money will be less because the money that was already separated for that particular account was already used.

Also, there are two credit cards on my thing that had very small balances. Cambridge would alert me, "This account is paid off. Call the creditor to send you the refund." I thought that once the balance was paid off, the creditor would automatically send it to me. I didn't think I would have to call them to say, "Okay, so I have a little leftover. Are you sending it to me?" I just left it because there was so little that was owed to me.

If Credit Counselling is handling the account, they should let the creditor know, "Okay, there's a refund, so send it to the client" or collect whatever was left over at their end and send me one check for everything. That would be easier than us having to go through all that. Other than that, everything was great overall. The one thing I liked is that because the refunds weren't so much and they were only $1 or $2 meant that they went to the extreme of calculating what was going to be due and not have so many over. That's fantastic in itself.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

The enrollment was easy. I'm done with the program and they were perfect.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Congratulations on completing the program!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I was 3,000 in debt and my income had drastically gone down, so I couldn’t keep everybody happy. They told me that I would pay 35 back and at the end of it, I ended up paying 6,000. I was like, “I wish I could have borrowed the money, because that’s a lot of extra money." Other than that, the program helped me get out of debt. I would call them for my balance periodically through the years and they were helpful. Knowing what I was gonna pay, it was easier for me to pay one small fee. But it was stretched out and there was extra money and that was kind of disturbing.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Thank you for your feedback Susann. We did review your paperwork that we provided to you when you joined the program and it does reflect different starting balances and repayment term than you describe above. We would be more than happy to discuss it with you if you would like to call in. We can provide you with copies of it as well. Congratulations on paying off your creditors!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I spoke to a certified credit counselor. We went through a basic budget and my credit card info, and then we went over options. They walked me through the numbers doing a little budget worksheet with me. The fees are minimal. They sent me a statement every month. They worked with me on the fees and setting up the right due date. The process was very simple. They made it very easy. There can be so much shame in calling and admitting you need help. But they made me feel very great about everything. Robin helped me on the back end of trying to remember four years ago. I also worked with Tinamarie. They were professional, reassuring and positive. It's a sensitive matter and they were great about it. They were very understanding and empathetic. Cambridge is a good, reputable organization. They all seem to really care.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Congratulations on completing the program John! We will forward your kind words to Robin and Tina!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

They supported me in helping pay off a credit card and closed the account for me. That allowed me to continue to make set payments on that card and then paid it off in a few years. I was assigned a credit counselor and I could reach out to them specifically. They were very communicative with the status of my account and they were always providing email updates and contact information if I ever had questions. I am very satisfied with their help. Cambridge is a wonderful company to work with if you need some help with paying off a credit card or multiple credit cards. They offer great financial and credit counseling.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Thank you Angelica! Glad we could help, congratulations on paying off your creditors!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

It was easy to sign up. They kept me informed of things. It was a good program.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Glad we could help Mae! Thank you.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor