4.93/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members. We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

1647 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Cambridge Credit helped me pay off my debt. I was with them for four years and they set up a monthly payment plan to pay off my credit card debt. I talked to a credit counselor at the beginning and then they sent emails and updates. It was good and the service was fair.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My family members had used Cambridge and had very good results. I followed suit and enrolled in their debt consolidation program. It was very easy. I just gave them the information on my cards and how much debt I was in, and they handled everything from there. I sent in my payment every month, and every month I got statements that showed me everything in detail of what was paid. They kept track of everything for me.

The program started out real good, but the cost seemed to have gotten a little bit higher. Other than that, they helped me and I got out of debt which I would have never been able to do on my own because I was struggling tremendously. Anytime I had any questions or anytime that I needed any help with anything, they were right there. They helped me in every way possible. They were so knowledgeable that they handled everything that I needed. I had very good results with them and I was very pleased. I would highly recommend Cambridge. I appreciate them and I'm glad that they’re there to help everyone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I've had Cambridge for a couple of years and I'm all gone up. I was heavily in debt and Cambridge is the only one available in the area, and they put me in a three-year plan. The enrollment process was easy and all was done thru the mail. They kept me out of debt and everything has been very good.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My employer's employee's assistance program adviced me to go to Cambridge because I was fairly deep in the debt. I liked the way Cambridge presented everything. They walked me through everything and I appreciated the concrete plan they came up with, almost immediately, to get me through this stuff. I took a quick look at a couple of other companies but I felt the most confident in Cambridge. They set up a four-year payment plan for my credit cards to help get them paid down and closed. They've also helped me set up a budget, work through the program, and stick with it. I had finished the program and I made my last payment last month. I had a couple of things sorted early but we used the money from paying them early to work on paying off some of the higher interest debt cards for a faster result.

I had a lot of phone calls from my counselor going over with my details, looking into different accounts, offering what the best solutions would be and the plans going over from that. I can also always reach their customer support. They gave me numbers to reach the counselors, a couple of different points there that I could call all the way into the evening outside of work hours if I needed to. Working with Cambridge, I feel like I have much more control of where I am at financially now. I appreciated the help they gave me and I've already recommended Cambridge to other people.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I needed assistance in pulling my entire portfolio together and to get everything handled. I did some research online, saw some information about Cambridge Credit Counseling from the Better Business Bureau, and decided to go with them. While most of my interaction with their counselor went via email for copies of statements, I would give them a call on the phone occasionally. I have recommended them to a few people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had financial difficulty and I was referred to Cambridge Credit Counseling online. I had debt consolidation program with them five years ago but I have completed it. My interaction with their team was fine. They came up with the payment plan based on my income and debt. I tried to get whatever was needed to be done and took care of the bills. The program worked fine although it was too expensive. But they were able to pay off my debt and I was satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I found out that I was in debt when I initially contacted Cambridge. They told me that they could work things out a lot smoother if I cooperate with Jefferson Capital to repay my debt. I'm a realist and I realized I wanted to pay back the loan. The offers of how to pay back the loan from Cambridge came through clearly and I thought it was okay. I've tried other consumer credit counseling here in New Mexico, but I didn't get that far with them. They gave me a very decent amount to pay back for a $5000 loan. I was given $122 a month, which was reasonable for me at the time.

I had some misunderstandings and I thought I kept on owing more and more. I spoke to a lawyer but that only made things worse. He tried to get me to file for bankruptcy, but I said no. I found out that his amount was the same amount that I would owe to pay the last part of my loan debt. Cambridge worked with me and I increased the amount of payback to Jefferson Capital from $122 to $182 and paid off the loan sooner. I made a mistake in talking to a lawyer and trusting in a lawyer that I never knew. When I realized that the lawyer was trouble for me, they let me correct my mistake.

They discussed the amount of payment with me. I asked them if it was possible and if it would help me financially. I cleared up my loan debt and I'm getting offers from other credit agency. I want to pay those so that I can have a positive debt credit amount that's a benefit for me. Every time I spoke to someone at Cambridge, they were cooperative. Plus, they were kind and decent. They would go out of their way to make sure that I got what I needed. It's a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was very satisfied with Cambridge Credit Counseling. They have provided me debt consolidation services for years and everything's been paid off now. The service has been fine and I would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I was seeking to pay off some debts with some credit cards and called the number that was listed in an advertisement that I saw. Somehow, they found Cambridge, which was the closest credit counseling service under that umbrella that was near to me. Every time I called with questions, their counselors were willing to answer them. Most of the time, everyone I spoke with was courteous and they provided assistance. They not only provided education on how to stay out of debt, they also offered debt settlement service. The cost was reasonable.

I have completed the program. Working with Cambridge helped me clear up my debt. They also helped me to be more cautious of using credit cards and to pay off the balances on time. It was a pleasurable experience. Given that this is the first time I've used a credit counseling service, it gave me a lot of opportunities to learn about myself.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

It was easy to contact Cambridge through email and phone and they were pleasant and easy to deal with every time. Then if anything came they would let me know immediately. They set up a monthly payment plan for me and I made fairly large payments at first but I lowered that after a few months which was easy to do. But what helped me was that I could call them at any time to say I was being harassed. They gave really good advice as far as that goes. They told me not to call people back or respond if people were hounding me with calls or sending me lots of stuff through the mail. It was excellent quality service and I paid off over $15,000 of debt in four years which was really good. I was very happy and I don't know what I would have done without them. They're good when you need them and I would definitely recommend them. If I ever got into debt again, I would definitely use Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Cambridge negotiated my interest rates down in a form of debt settlement and I was able to pay off my debt easier. The counselors were good. $35 a month doesn’t sound like very much for the service but in the end, when I added it all up, it was a lot of money. I'm sure I saved money in the long-run by not paying the higher interest rate. I would recommend Cambridge to others. They're good to use and it was easy to do. Everything went well with Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was with Cambridge Credit Counseling for three years and had credit consolidation and reduction of interest rates for my credit card debt. I called them and they had me submit my forms, financial information, and budget. There was an initial setup when they set up my auto-pay and that was about it. Then, they contacted my credit agencies and creditors and got my interest rates reduced. I paid less money and it was great. Cambridge is a legitimate and great entity. If you're in that situation, I would recommend them. They helped my financial position in the long run. Overall, it was a trouble-free and very effective experience with Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I needed help on my credit card overages and a friend recommended Cambridge Credit Counseling. I've been with them for two years and they reduced interest rates, set the rate and then they would set up a monthly amount to pay. It's worth the money to work with them. It was helpful and good.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Cambridge Credit helped me with basic debt consolidation. The counselors were good to me, they were friendly and helpful. The cost was reasonable and they made it more convenient to be able to consolidate. I appreciate the help and I'm happy and satisfied with them. I went with them a second time so the experience was good.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I had an injury and got done with my job. I ended up consolidating some credit cards that I had since I was unsure when I would be able to go back to work. I had a family member that had used Cambridge in the past and had suggested them to me. The process worked very great and it was very quick. I paid it off quicker than what I thought because I ended up going back to work and ended up paying it off recently. They were very helpful and were very quick about contacting the debtors that I had and finding out what my payoff balances were and getting right back to me. It was less than two days and I had a check cut. They had stopped my payment and everything was done. I've gotten my three checks back from the companies that I had written checks out to just because there was a slight overpayment. I got one check back $11 today and then check back yesterday for $29. So, I was very satisfied with everything.

I would highly recommend Cambridge to anybody. If a situation ever arose again that I would be in need of another credit counseling company or debt consolidation that I would certainly use the company again. Cambridge helped me a lot as far as the stress level goes and just ease on how to being single and having three kids and how I was going to pay those bills when I was out of work with the leg injury that I had. I was very pleased with their service and it was an excellent experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I wanted to consolidate everything into one place so that I could just make one payment and try to get my debts paid off faster. Cambridge seemed pretty good and reasonable so I went with them. Their process was very easy and an uncomplicated. I had to give them all the account numbers and they pretty much took it from there. They were very helpful and quick to get me what I needed. I was trying to keep up with bills every other day and trying to figure out what bill needed to be paid. I ended up having a lower payment than what I was paying monthly. They got me a lower interest rate, too.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had a lot of credit card debt and a friend recommended Cambridge. I talked to them a couple of times but we mostly communicated by email. They got me on a program though the payment plan was a little tough at first. It was a lot but I toughed it out for five years to get everything paid off. They also gave me some tips on how to budget money and it worked out pretty good. I’m completed with it now and it was worth it. It got me through the debt and helped me. It was a good experience and I would recommend to somebody else too.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have always had a lot of debt because I didn’t manage my money right. I am a lawyer and was paid at $50,000 for five years when I first started. I was not making much in living in the Bay Area. I had student loans and also wanted to take some trips so I had to use credit cards sometimes which grew over time. Then I started realizing that I wasn’t making headway. I had a financial planner who recommended me Cambridge. I called them and we negotiated. The fees were worth it because if I have to do it myself, I would have probably ended up paying much more in interest. They were really responsive and their updates were helpful. They were very proactive and if I called, I got to talk to someone immediately.

It was a four-year program which went by pretty quickly. And to be on a plan and pay this monthly thing was the best thing for me to get out of the debt. Now, I paid off $50,000. I would definitely use them again. I’m trying now to manage my own debt and I don’t want to close credit cards anymore. I even decided to add a few credit cards on the program and it was good. They were efficient and effective, and I had a great experience with them. I’m glad I did the program.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My credit was bothering me because I could not take care of it and my daughter recommended Cambridge. Then I called in and spoke to someone and they explained how it worked. And so, I just jumped on board and got things kicked off. When I spoke to them, I liked what they recommended. They helped me with debt consolidation and I completed the program in three years. It was a great help to me. They had very nice people.

The counselor explained and set up my payment arrangement and how much I needed to pay each month until I got it paid out. She gave me the number to call and told me to call their number if I had any questions or any concerns pertaining my bill. Everything worked very nicely and I felt very comfortable. Cambridge helped me understand that you should not overload yourself and that things happen, and it's not your fault that things happened that set you back. They’re the best. They are pleasant to work with and very understanding. They'd explain everything to you and they don't leave you out on the rails trying to figure out what's going on. It was an excellent experience.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I had credit card debt and Cambridge Credit Counseling was the only place where it didn't matter how long I had a debt. I enrolled over the phone and if I had to sign anything, they sent it to me and I faxed it back. They took everything and consolidated it down into one bill a month. They based my payment plan off my income and made a monthly withdrawal. I paid $275 a month and only $25 went to Cambridge Credit Counseling. I paid my bills off but I ended up skipping payments when I didn't have enough money. The program took longer but it brought my credit up. Cambridge Credit Counseling did what I needed them to do and it was a good experience .

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

When I first started the debt consolidation program, I didn't want a third party to handle my debt because I heard it affects your credit more. However, it's the only thing that I could do at that point because I was in disagreement with my spouse and he was the breadwinner and he went with Cambridge. However, I'm now divorced. After a year, communication was just off and can't get on the same page. When you're not on the same page it's hard in the household to collapse in some of those issues with the financial situation and marriages in my opinion.

My goal is to continue with the program and get out. I still have a little bit of a cycle in it and I am working on it to get out of debt. It's probably a third of what it was. All is well and I kept calling to see where I was at, to make sure what I could do to get out quicker. I'm looking at purchasing a home. But my budget is still not great and it's still affecting my credit. I didn't really like the fact that someone else pays the bills for me because I felt like I could do that.

Cambridge's phone system was a little bit spooky and it could be made a little bit user-friendly. I know their hours. They're on the East Coast and every time I want to call them they're closed. They could shift or just have a two-hour layover coverage of someone or just a go-to phone service. People are looking for convenience. The easier they make it for people, the more people would come and work with them. On the plus side, the service was excellent. Everybody at Cambridge was always so polite. They're responsive too. I also liked that the program was flexible. If it really wasn't working for you, you could change it. I did it around three times through the worst transition so it extended me in the program. I backed off from it a little bit or lowered it, or I paid off one and they use the funds to pay on another. It's really good that they do that.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I discovered that my brother has become disabled from heavy drinking in the early fall of 2014. I then wrapped up my work in Albany to come live with him and take care of his affairs and get him some medical assistance. I started going through his papers I noticed that there were credit card bills coming from 12 accounts and he had only been paying the minimums. My younger sister, who at some point also had a large debt with credit cards, told me about Cambridge after hearing them from someone else. She helped us set up. We then made the call and we talked to a guy and that's how we started. Cambridge was great. I could call them. They would also email me just every so often with a little notice about where we were if I wanted to look at it. The people we talked to were very clear about what would happen and how long it would take. The cost was also negligible and I never felt that they were gouging us for their services. It was only 50 bucks a month.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I remember calling Cambridge and they asked why I needed their services. I told them all my credit cards are maxed out. I got all my credit cards on my wallet, wrote down my credit card numbers, showed them the balances and finally got me signed up. It was pretty easy and they got me to a manageable monthly payment. Every time I called, they've always been super helpful. I've called them to update balances and I wanted them to take an extra payment out if I got a bonus. They've always been great. The only complaint that I have is that when I went to pay off the balance, I wasn't able to pay it off. They said that it wasn't a possibility, and it was super annoying. My husband was really irritated. I wasn't able to make a payment for more than the regular withdrawal that I had to withdraw another month.

I think that it should change because if somebody is ready to be done with the program because of working overtime, it should be an option, especially someone like me who is in the program for five years and has never missed a payment. When you're towards the end of the program, that should be an option. With the money in the account right now I just want to pay it off and be done because we were moving. I just moved across the United States and I was a little annoyed. But the Counselor was nice about it. I just was annoyed at her response so to speak.

They sent me an email statement every month which I really appreciated because I could check it on my own time. I really like it because I'm super busy and I think it was good. They called me every once in a while to get an update. Now I’m done and I have completed it. I would totally tell others to do it. No hassle, no trickery, and no hidden fees. It was exactly what they said the cost was. And currently my credit is amazing

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had a very good experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling. They are very helpful and understanding. I had little money taken out every month and by the end, I’m completely free of all debt. My daughters and I split all the debt that had been left over after I sold my house to them and we divided any remaining tax liabilities. I did this to encourage them to do the same thing. My daughters ended up clearing all their debt and everything else so it turned out to be a very positive experience both for myself and for my daughters. They saw an example of another way to handle things if they get themselves into really bad debt again.

I object paying interest because I’m Jewish and we don't believe in usury. There were a couple of other bills that I decided to pay off in full so that when I move to the senior housing, I wouldn't have a huge debt and liability. I could never get ahead with Target because I was eaten up by the amounts that they kept saying I owe them. I realized I was never going to get clear of the Target bill and that convinced me to go ahead and try finding enough for profit.

I had to give Cambridge Credit Counseling all my financial information and they certainly improved my situation. My interactions with Cambridge counselors were always good. They gave excellent service and they always call me back if I had questions. They were always on top and I could call and find out where I stood. I would get monthly statements on the computer so I would know how close I was at all times. I moved in the senior housing in August and the debt repayment plan ended in September. I was able to move in good shape and I feel more comfortable knowing that I don't owe anybody any amount of money anymore.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We haven’t been anywhere so I wanted to straighten out our stuff to allow us to still pay our bills. Cambridge was a local company and I heard good things about them and so we got them. Our counselor, John, was great and the team was awesome. They helped us with figuring out what we’re going to spend and what we can’t, and all that good stuff. Cambridge stayed on top of everything and kept us in tune as to when we’re paying our bills and when they’re taking the money out of our accounts. They’re amazing and they care about me and I’m very satisfied. We’re all done with the program and we’re in a better shape now. I’d recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

All my credit cards were backed up and I owed a whole lot of money. I couldn't pay my debts so I needed to consolidate. I went bankrupt when I was younger so I didn't want to go that way again. Cambridge Credit’s rep said he would take care everything. When the creditors called me, they referred to him. Eventually, he worked out a deal with everybody and I started paying monthly.

I collected more help trying to rebuild my credit because my credit is bad even though I paid off all my bills. I don't know if the money was distributed right because one of the creditors kept calling me and saying that they know they made a deal with Cambridge but that it wasn't sufficient. And at the end, some of the other credit cards were completely paid and that money should have increased on the other payments. I don't know if that was happening. But besides that, I was really happy with Cambridge in getting rid of all my debts.

I pay a credit card and I get a notice that a credit card is paid off by Cambridge. My suggestion is that Cambridge should automatically shift the amount of money that's going to the other agencies. I didn't see that. And it should be where when we get the statement, it should let the customer know this amount of money been added to so-and-so bill. So that way, I know that that's being done. I'm not sure if that's being done. Cambridge might put all of that money on one big bill. I'm sure that would be fine with the customer because he knows his money is not going to somebody’s pocket. It's going directly for his bills.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Cambridge helped me pay off my debt through their credit counseling program. I’m already finished and I paid off my debt two months ago. Aside from the initial signup where they discussed my options, the benefits of doing credit counseling, and showing with credit counseling how quickly I can pay off my debt versus paying off the minimum alone independently and the years it'll take to pay off my debt, there was nothing to interact for. After that, the payment was automatically withdrawn so there were no issues. It took me about four years but very quickly, I was able to pay off my debt and it saved me a lot of money as well in the long run. It was a very pleasant experience and if I had questions on a balance for a particular credit card, the operator was able to provide an answer right away. If I know someone with a credit problem, I always refer them to Cambridge.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My job situation had changed and I was having a hard time making ends meet. I knew somebody that had used Cambridge and he highly recommended them. I also saw them on one of our local community television shows so I decided to give them a call. They offered to contact my creditors and let them know that they were in charge. Then, they paid my bills every month for me. Their counselors were very polite. If I called and couldn't get through, they were very prompt to return. They answered any questions that I had.

Cambridge made my life a lot easier because they took over. When a creditor calls, I just say to him to call Cambridge Credit and that they were managing my bills. I got my bills paid off a lot faster because when they took over, the creditors can't charge interest. It was a three year period and I finished in June. I was very pleased with Cambridge and I don't plan on going back into debt. But if I ever did, I certainly would contact them again. They were very professional and very good at what they did.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I had a lot of credit card debts that I wanted to clean up. I wanted to see if Cambridge can assist me in doing that and when I spoke with them, they had a plan on how we would get the credit card bill lowered for me, like the monthly payments, a timeframe and how I would be able to pay them off. If I had any questions, I could call and get answered very quickly. They would reach out to me every so often to check on my progress and see how I was doing so they were really good.

What they do is negotiate with the creditor so you get the benefit of a lower interest rate that’s more manageable for you to pay. The card would also be turned off. You can't use it anymore but then you don’t stay down on the balance and the payments go further towards the principal. It's great for people who are struggling to pay off some debts, especially because with these credit cards, the interest payments get so high. It almost makes them impossible to pay off and instead of not honoring the obligation, it's better to go with a company like Cambridge to guide you through it. You can do as many as you need too.

I was sending them one payment each month which was automatically drafted on the same day with the same amount and then they would take that payment and distribute it to three different cards that I had. Those cards were paid off over time and I was happy when I made that last and final payment. I'm so pleased with Cambridge that I was actually going to contact them again to see if they can work with me through another cycle of bill payments 'cause I still have some balances that I wanted under control.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I was not bringing in income fast enough while my bills are piling up so I got Cambridge’s services, and they were willing to work with me on credit consolidation. The enrollment process was easy and it was great. Their counselor was good and I felt he was really nice. We did monthly payments that were taken out automatically and now my account with Cambridge has been done. If friends ask me about Cambridge, I would tell them that they should look to use them for credit counseling. Cambridge worked with me on getting me taken care of and they helped me achieve my goals of getting back on track with my credit.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Company Information