2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.81/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I reached out to the rep from Cambridge five years ago and they explained how they work. They would do all the negotiation on behalf of me and it would not affect my credit. I would still be paying off everything I owe just with a reduced interest rate. I was looking to improve my situation and Cambridge provided that service. They were very helpful along the way with any questions I had. Since my sister-in-law recommended them, there was a trust factor there already to begin with.

When I enrolled, everything went very smoothly. They gave us a spreadsheet to do a budget so it wasn’t just giving us a quick fix. You need to take a look at your expenses and see the big picture. They ran a credit check so they had everything on me. I keep a spreadsheet of everything that's open as well. I knew how much I was paying monthly and I knew something needed to be done. So, whatever they came up with was fine. I saw a timeline and I knew by this way, the cards would be closed and it would get paid off. They consolidated for me quite a few credit cards and they negotiated the rates on them. It was one payment a month and if I did not make that, which came automatically out of my checking account, then I would be right back where I started from. So, it was one payment paying off so many things. My end date and time ended a few months before I thought it would end.

I was very comfortable working with Cambridge. Everything was very open between us. There were one or two cards which I would’ve liked to include. But they said that if I cancelled those, I would have to cancel all my accounts through them, which I could not do because we have cards that we use for business. They worked with me through email or through phone calls to address any concerns. They sent out periodic surveys to see where we were or how our situation had changed. We had some changes throughout that period so they were always very open if we wanted to add anything else. In the end, it worked out.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I did a little research and called several different programs, but Cambridge got back with me a little bit more. I incurred a lot of debt and upon initial contact with them, they were very responsive and followed up well with me. The customer service was great and everything was very positive. They had one number for customer service and they had another number for people who were already enrolled in the program. Sometimes I wouldn’t have my paperwork in front of me so I would Google it and call a number and then that would not be the right number but they would get back with me, so it was just a matter of me probably getting to the right number at that point.

I got monthly statements which told me what had been dispersed, when and to whom. If I had a question about anything, I would get an email and a phone call back. Towards the end, I was trying to get my balance in order so that I can get my sons in order to pay, and that took a little bit of time but I understand that Cambridge wanted to make sure the balance was as accurate as it could be for me.

Looking back on it, I’m grateful that I could pull off the payment plan. I wasn’t sure that I could at the time, but I did. Given how much I was paying in credit card bills just to make the minimum payment, it was probably an improvement. The difference being that it was a lump sum that came out rather than when I could make it. So, I would recommend Cambridge to anybody as opposed to bankruptcy. Paying that money every month plus the information they would send out about credit and trying to keep your credit good helps you to realize you’re not doing yourself any favors to get in debt.

I’m a real researcher, so I probably did my homework and I would suggest other people do research. The good thing about Cambridge was they were the mediator initially, particularly because there were a couple of my creditors that were nasty and tried to be overbearing. So, I appreciated them being there to handle that. The particular person that I worked with initially was wonderful. She was very kind but she was also very matter of fact. She spelled out everything for me well. Granted my circumstances were different than many because it was sort of a hardship kinda situation for me, but I would do it all over again although I never want to go there again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had a lot of credit cards and my minimum payments were too high for me to handle, so I needed help. I went online, read reviews and looked at several companies, and Cambridge had the best reviews. I did the debt management program with them and my enrollment process was easy. I made one phone call and Chris, the gentleman who helped me, just told me what to do and what to expect. They kept up with me several times. They would send me emails and I'd go over all the information. I did feel under pressure on the first call, but everything was clear with what was happening, what I was doing.

I sent them my credit report, and then I had to make my first payment with them. I told them, “I don’t have money to pay you and my creditors this month. I can only choose one.” I ended up choosing Cambridge and that took a hit on my credit report for that one month that I didn’t make payments with my creditors. What happens is they make an offer to the creditor and they’ll make a certain amount of payment, and the creditor could take it or reject it. That took a little longer. They told me one price for my monthly payment but it went up two more times. They said, “Okay. We’re gonna pay all your bills this month for…” Let’s say, $1,000. And then, some creditors rejected it, so then it'd go up another 50 bucks, and then, maybe it’d go up another $50.

Cambridge offered classes online and literature. I went over some of it. I didn’t take advantage of it as much, the way I should. I just stuck to the plan of paying the bill and letting time pass. So far, I'm finished with the program. I would recommend them and I have recommended them to friends, because their price compared to everybody else was fair. They were at the minimum for what they were doing for me. And it was very affordable and straightforward. They were charging me $50 a month to run the program and I was able to get what I needed done. I would’ve been over my budget by 400, but I was able to bring it right where I could stand it with their help.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my credit cards, get the interest rates down, and get them all paid off. I read about Cambridge online and they had really good reviews. Their fees were low and they seemed reputable. A lot of the other companies that I looked at were trying to sell something. Instead of help, they wanted to give a loan. They wanted us to borrow money from them. But Cambridge just wanted to help us get out of that. So, I called them and I said I was interested in paying off my credit cards. I was barely paying over the minimum and I didn’t wanna pay all the interest. They asked what accounts that I had and what the totals were. They then contacted my creditors for me on my behalf, with my permission, and negotiated interest rates.

Going through the process was easy and Cambridge set everything up. They deducted the payment automatically every single month. Everything was one lump sum and then they paid out of that lump sum. They individually disbursed the money to the creditors. Every once in a while, they would send me emails to do financial check-up and they wanted to do phone conversations about healthy budgets and healthy spending. I never utilized those services, but they’d be very helpful.

The service cost was also well worth it. In the end, I possibly could have called my creditors myself and negotiated my interest rates on my own and save myself a monthly fee and have the $700 something in fees, which honestly, it’s not that bad compared to the interest I would’ve paid had I not done it. I could have maybe possible saved myself $800, but I really have zero complaints about the fees to the result that they got me, with the low interest rates. It was honestly worth it. Cambridge was easy to deal with and their people were professional. If I had questions, they were prompt in returning my calls. Then, the whole process was supposed to take 4 years, but I ended up upping my payment, and I got it done in about three. I shaved about a year off and I am done. Now, it’s really nice having that money back in my pocket every month.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

At the time I was talking to one of my credit cards, Capital One, they referred me and gave Cambridge's number. Cambridge was the first one I called and I figured being that Capital One recommended them then they would be a legit company. The Cambridge people were very good and everybody I talked to was very helpful. They sent me things many times if I wanted to check on something and then I would get a return call, and I didn't feel I needed to 'cause I would call them periodically and talk to them. So, being in the program, I paid a monthly payment then they got in contact with my creditors and they handled everything. I just paid them one monthly payment, which automatically came out of my account, and then they took care of it. So, it has worked for me.

One time, on one of my accounts that I had been paying on for almost 3 years, I noticed that the interest wasn't going down like the other ones were. So, I called Cambridge back and they said another thing off, and then that company dropped the interest down by 12%. I wondered why it didn't happen at first, but I don't think it was Cambridge's fault.

At present, I'm done with Cambridge and it really worked out well for me now that everything is all paid off. It also didn't hurt me at all to go through the program. I knew that if I were to just pay them myself, I'd probably still be paying them. I would recommend Cambridge to a friend as well. If you got the income, which I fortunately did, to where you can have it and do it automatically like I did, although I'm not the same with all of their clients, then that way you don't have to worry about it. The money's coming out, and that was it. It's periodic. I am here in Oregon and I was skeptical at first. But Cambridge was very good and every month, they sent me a monthly statement with everything on there and what they were paying. So, they were good to me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Cambridge Credit Counseling Services consistently sent out a late payment every month to First Niagara Bank (despite me making my payments on time EVERY month), causing thousands of dollars in late fees & upon being notified, did not accept responsibility & refused to reimburse me.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I never had any problems with the creditors. Everything was handled by my agents. My bills are now paid off. I would receive to anyone. Friendly, informed staff. I believe they cared for me. Thank you so much. Reach out if you need help.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I was happy to pay off most of my debt in less time that I contracted for. My credit score went from 630 to 798! It was easy to enroll and the best decision I ever made. I am close to retirement and now I can do it with no debt.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We engaged with Cambridge about 5 years ago with over 100k in credit card debt. Our counselor discussed with us our needs and our ability to pay. He did all the work and set up payments. We received monthly reports of our progress and had our questions answered whenever they came up. We are now out of our credit card hole and will never fall back into it again thanks to the Cambridge plan.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I had two credit cards that I couldn't afford the payments and Cambridge Credit Counseling wasn't that far away. It's up in Springfield and I was in Avon. The hardest part of enrolling was getting into the building, but I followed the signs and I got right to the door. The willingness, the price and the whole thing was perfect. Reducing your interest rates from like 25% down to 7% was very advantageous as well. I was very impressed. I got a diploma too. Overall, the counsel service was very gracious and very helpful, all the way to even speaking Spanish to the gal behind the desk.

I had a very good experience all the way and I would highly recommend it to anybody else that needed help. I'm highly satisfied. At 79 years old, I've learned a lot of lessons and one of them was don't buy a Mercedes to impress somebody. The first year, I didn't pay any interest on it. After that, the bank wanted some interest and that put me in a bind, but I learned a very hard lesson.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor