4.86/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2155 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 14, 2019

I was searching the internet and I was praying really hard. I found Cambridge Credit Counseling over the internet as the only guys that would take me in. When I first called in, the rep was like, “You oughtta do this, this, and this.” I told him that I couldn't get any of them signed up except for two. He said, “You're fine. We'll take you on.” That was basically the conversation and it was awesome. As far as the enrollment process, it took about two months. When I called in for the counselors, they were awesome. They talked to me and they gave me some great advice on what to do and how to do things, and I took all those into consideration. They treated me really well.

At first, I started having difficulties. I was tackling a car payment plus the payment, but I was able to do it and keep my finances right where I needed it to be. The educational part of the program was awesome, while the other part was how they managed all the accounts that I had and was able to reduce all that amount of money I was gonna pay out to affordable monthly one payment thing. The goal was four years, but it took about three and a half. I've completed the program and Cambridge sent the statement that I owed nothing. They are freaking amazing. If I could hug all of them, I would. They took a lot of stress off me and totally impacted my life as a whole. There would be no way I could've paid off all the debt and survive anything. They kept me away from filing bankruptcy.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The enrollment process at Cambridge was all easy. Everybody was nice, and I didn’t have any problems at all. They helped me pay off my dues, and I have completed the program.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Cambridge has some good structure, and everybody was very informative. Plus the cost of their service was standard. They took the payment out of my account and I didn’t have to write out a check and mail it. They took care of my accounts for me and now I’m done with the program.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had great credit all my life until my teenage grandson came to live with me. Even though I get $2,000 a month, which is very good money and better than most retired persons, I hadn't counted on raising a grandson. He was in his teenage years and in high school. I was totally responsible for the boy without any help and he was at a very expensive age. His dad kinda helped me at first, but as time went by, it got less and less. I had to go to court over Fingerhut and I kept paying them as long as I could. I wanted to pay off all my bills and I knew that I needed the help of lower interest to pay off all the credit cards. Cambridge seemed nice, then it worked out.

The enrollment process was easy and I thought I could pay some of my bills off faster than I did. The service was wonderful and Cambridge was always good to me. There were a few times that I had to call and tell them I couldn’t make it for a certain month and they worked with me. They were kind to me and I had no problems with it. I just got the last credit paid off, which was Capital One. I paid Montgomery Ward off at about the same time and I got $35 back from them since I paid them too much. I hope those helped my credit.

The counselor I was working with changed during some of my time with them but it was fine. There was one that I really like working with. She went out of her way to help me and I appreciated it so much. I highly respect counsellors and I didn't have a bit of trouble from them. I was having some kind of issue and I got with the little girl. She answered all my questions. The payment started out over $200 and I really struggled until I got the payments down to $87. Then, it was much easier. My grandson finally left and joined the Marines. He went on to college through the Marines and I didn't have to help with that much.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Cambridge Credit made us 100% debt-free, so I'm happy. The payment plan was high, but it was okay because we needed to get them done. When we went through a really difficult stage, we talked to them and they lowered it down a little, which was great at that time because we had to do that for reasons of during the health times. All in all, we had excellent service from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had used Cambridge in the past and it was a good program so I stuck with it. After the initial phone call with the credit counselor, our communication was through email and he responded quickly. They figured out the best payment plan for me and they set it up. It was something I agreed with. Their program was easy to use, and they helped me reduce my credit card debt and interest rate. They made sure that all my accounts were closed and made sure my account needed to be closed with them. I'm done with Cambridge now, and the cost of the program was a good use of the money spent for their services. Cambridge made my life better because it helped me on the road to being debt-free. I couldn't have done it without their help. Go check them out as well and see what they have to say.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My wife has some problems with credit cards, sought the help of Cambridge Credit Counseling and the enrollment wasn't difficult. One individual there was her cousin and she worked with him in the beginning. Once everything was set up, it was smooth sailing. The whole program took over three years and Cambridge made it a lot easier to deal with one bill on a month versus all these bills coming in. And because she's in a program, she wasn't able to get credit for a while so that was all great.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I called Cambridge and it sounded like they got a good deal. I could save a lot on interest. I got in their program where they got a hold of the credit card companies and presented them with a lower interest rate. And I’m all done with it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had too many outstanding credit cards and rather than use one and use another one until the other one gets built up a little, we wanted to get them all cancelled and pay it off. Signing up with Cambridge was okay. They took care of the dealings with the card companies and there were no difficulties there. They sent a statement each month of what was paid, how much they deducted, and how they disbursed it. However, they didn’t have anything to show what your starting balance was and that was something they could improve on. Rather than getting the statements in the mail from the card companies anyway, that could’ve saved all the extra mails and add those on to their monthly statements. They could add an extra column, like an Excel, or put the formula in there to give us those types of bills, and show us what the starting balance was, as well as the ending balance.

Towards the end of the program, we were keeping close track so we could make the last portion of the payment. For example, it was set-up to pay $100 a month, but then the last payment would be $65. We tried to call someone there and tell them to stop the payment as it was and we would pay the $65 on our own. But I got different stories on that – can, can’t do it and all that kind of stuff. Conveying with them what we were gonna do with what the last amount was was an issue. I don’t know if it was just newly-trained people or employees not familiar with what they can do. But Cambridge could keep working on educating their employees to what can be done and can’t be done because everyone was slow. One had to call and one had to make some changes. One time, I even got three different answers.

Cambridge also tried to do a lot of stuff electronically instead of having a phone call. For the younger tech-savvy people, that’s okay, but for us older folks, that’s hard. Maybe Cambridge has to think about who their customer is. Nevertheless, we paid off a bunch of our credit cards a year earlier. We got five years into the program, but we did it in only four. We never talked to the card companies themselves. We just talked with Cambridge and had them set it up on all the cards that they could. However, for some reason, there is one company that they can’t deal with, and that’s Bank of America. But Cambridge's interest rates were so low, lower than what you can get nowadays, so that really didn’t interfere. Somehow, we can hit that card on our own here.

The payment plan that we had was okay and working with Cambridge helped us get rid of those credit cards a lot quicker. Now we can use the money for paying off that other credit card, for Bank of America, and then we have a few extra bucks for us to do some things. I have problems because of Agent Orange and my legs are shot. I had to quit my job about the time we set this up, to help with the payments. But Cambridge made it easier for us. We knew what the amount would be to set up a budget to get going through every year. So, Cambridge helped us well. Perhaps they can also advertise in some ways how they can help folks if one of the members becomes disabled or have some medical problem or how they can work that through with cards that they owe on.

When Cambridge did their questioning with me at the beginning, they helped us out because I wasn’t able to work. So, that way, with a bit of disability I get, it went to pay enough of the cards. It went smoothly and we were able to take care of the necessities. Throughout the process, eventually, the amount we had to pay each month went down. So if we got a card paid off, then we could even keep that money or reapply it to the other cards, which was nice to help get the next one paid off quicker. Cambridge is a good program. You can quit if you don’t wanna do it, that kind of thing. But commit yourself to do it and follow it. They will take care of everything. They don’t charge you that much each month to do it. Basically, it’s all taken care of for you and if you just follow it, you should get a very good result out of it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I've used Cambridge before, and they did an outstanding job. Most recently, we had to do a debt settlement with them as we had over extended our credit card. We're senior citizens and we have a fixed income, and sometimes we forget that. Cambridge helped us with it. Tina was outstanding and she took care of me right away. She was very knowledgeable of what could be done. She was also very understanding of our situation. They had my exorbitant interest rate reduced and Tina did the best she could to come up with a wonderful payment plan for me but I wish the payment could have been less. But I don't mind paying the $15 fee a month because they're providing a service for me. We were really considering bankruptcy at one time, but Cambridge made it so we didn't have to. We don't wanna renege on our obligation, and they made it possible for us to pay off accounts that we owe. And we feel good about that.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I had credit card debt, and Cambridge was recommended to me by a friend. The reps were very helpful and knowledgeable. The payment plan was doable, and they eliminated my credit card debt. I would definitely recommend Cambridge if I knew someone has the same situation as I did.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I built a house years ago, and we had some health issues and some of my financial bills went up. I wanted to consolidate them and pay them off, but I did not want to do this, “We can get you reduced payments on your accounts and reduced balances.” I wanted no part of that because I legitimately used the money, and I wanted to pay back what I legitimately used. I didn’t wanna say that I took out 20 grand and somebody settled it for me for 10. That was like stealing $10,000. I wanted to pay it off with the one month or the one payment as opposed to just keeping them out there.

I used another service and my account got transferred to Cambridge when they bought it out. In the beginning, Cambridge sent me emails and some regular snail mail correspondence. They let me know everything that was going on and that they’re taking it over. I talked to them a few times, and as I was going through every monthly payment, I would get ahold of them every once in a while. I wanted to see what my balances were as I was closing things out and find out what I could do and what I had to do. But every time I called them, I never had any issues with them at all.

I’m all done with the program, and I paid up what I had to pay off. I did not want my credit report affected, and Cambridge has you close your credit cards as closed by consumer, then it doesn’t affect your credit report once you pay it off. They put me in a position where I could very easily handle myself now. If I went into any issues or wanna do whatever and get to where I have too much at one time, I would just go with them. Then I can consolidate everything down in one bill, and they make the payments. I would recommend Cambridge and I would use them again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had some debts that I needed to take care of so I did some research. I found that Cambridge Credit was the best to go through a debt consolidation so I decided to go ahead and made an appointment with them. The rep made all the arrangements to it. He told me exactly how much money has been allocated to the different accounts that I was under the consolidation program. He emailed me all the information out and then I signed the document.

The enrollment was easy. I was able to do it in a couple of days, just as quickly as I was able to get back to him. There were two processes to the debts consolidation process. I went to a debt consolidation program with Cambridge Credit and then I had to clean up my credit so I went through another company and they did that.

Also, the counselor was very understanding. She said, "Don't think that you are unique and there are a lot of people that are out there in the same boat as you are". She also said that Cambridge has a plan and that in a couple of years, my credit will turn around. At that point, I thought it was a lot of bluff but looking back at it, I thought she was right on the mark.

The program was painless for me. They gave me an amount and I was okay with it. I knew I would have to consolidate my debts and have those debts paid off so I took the quickest route. I set up an automatic withdrawal out of my account and I made sure my account has plenty of money in it. They deducted the money out of my account every month and in two years, my debt was paid off. I made my last payment and I finished the program last month. All in all, I'm very satisfied. In fact, I gave Cambridge' numbers to one of my commanding officers because she went into some financial problems.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We had medical and credit card debts and Cambridge Credit Counseling provided us with consolidation. They went in and dealt with them all. The interest rate was dropped and we paid back our loans that way. We originally called Cambridge because we got married and after we got married, my wife ended up with cancer. So, it worked out that we jumped on the program when we did. We ended up doing the program separately and if we hadn’t, we would’ve been bankrupt because of the medical bills we had. We could always work a little more to make a little more when the hospital bill comes but the program lowered the payment a little bit and that alone made us get by.

The enrollment process was very easy and fairly simple. There were a lot of tough questions when they started asking about our monthly debt and a lot of times, they didn’t tell you exactly what you wanna hear, but they told you the truth. The counselor was very understanding, too. We were afraid of talking about these things but he put us at ease. And in the end, he had the answers.

They sat down and figured out our family budget, what we had, what was going out, and where was it going. They asked for all that upfront then based on that, they figured out the rates and what they could do with the agencies. Then they told us what they could do and what they couldn't do. It was up to us if we took it. They gave us a fixed period of time when the program was gonna be done and we got done a little bit early, but that was okay. We took any extra we had and that was where we wanted it to go.

All in all, Cambridge was wonderful. Even at the payoff, we paid a little more and they made sure that they had all the stuff documented. They did everything for us and all we did was tell them what we were doing and that we had extra going in. They said that the debt was gonna be paid off and that we were gonna have some checks coming to us because we overpaid. And we ended up getting checks back from the different creditors which was great. We completed the program and it worked out wonderfully. We’re very happy with it and couldn’t have asked for anything more. Now that we’re done, it’s a huge weight off our backs.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have a CreditCare account. They told me that I had to pay within a year or pay something towards it. After that year, however, I wasn't able to pay off the account. Because of that, they carried the interest really high. I'm on a fixed income and so I had Cambridge Credit Counseling help me. I got their information, called them, and filled in the forms. I qualified for the program. The application wasn't easy, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Cambridge was able to lower my interest rate and I didn't have any problems paying because I did automatic deduction until the program was over. It was perfect for me. They also had people to help me. Cambridge's program is a very good program for someone who is in a little bit of financial problem and have to pay off a debt. It helps you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

With Cambridge Credit's program, we paid off a lot debt that we had and zeroed out some stuff that we had accumulated, so it was very helpful. It took us six years to complete the program. The quality of their service was good for the cost. They did a good job.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I had concerns with debt and late fees. Cambridge was recommended to me and the enrollment to their program was easy. I paid one fee, and they paid for all my bills and offered counseling. Their counselor answered all my questions upfront and worked with me on the payment plan. He was very easy to deal with. Now that the program is over and I've completed it, I’m feeling really accomplished. Working with Cambridge has completely changed my life. I don’t know what I would’ve done without them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

A co-worker who used Cambridge Credit Counseling recommended it and gave me the information. I checked into some other ones and Cambridge seemed to have the better service. So, I went by my friend's experience and went with them too. In the beginning, I didn't know if I needed to get the information filed and their reps did some of that for me. I was really comfortable working with them. They were reliable, they gave me a timeline and they sent updates too. They sent little ways to stay out of debt through email. And if I had a question about anything, I would call. They were friendly and they didn't keep me on hold.

The payment plan that they set me up with was difficult in the beginning only because I was still using the credit cards. And then, I wasn't using them at all. I got used to just paying each month and not using them, and it turned out for the best. So far, I'm finished with their program and they got me out of debt from credit cards. Cambridge is a good company. I've already recommended some people to them.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I was out of work for quite a while and I needed to consolidate my debt. I tried to get things handled to save my credit. I went with Cambridge because of their Better Business Bureau rating and the rating from other consumers. From the first time that I called somebody from Cambridge, I was treated very warmly and kindly. There was no judgment about what had gone on in my life prior to. There were several times throughout that two-year period that I had to rearrange the auto debit on my payment and they were more than kind about making that happen for me via email or phone call.

And then, at the very end, when I was trying to wrap everything up with the last few payments, they just went way above and beyond to make sure that everything happened the way that it needed to, and even didn't charge me for the last month for their fee. They helped me get everything handled. The cost was also very reasonable. However, it would be better if they would let you know what you still owe, instead of just what they paid and more information about what's been paid off in full and what the results were on the website itself. Nevertheless, my experience with Cambridge was absolutely fantastic.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My experience with Cambridge has been great. I was with them for about three years. They got all my credit cards down with the interest. I made a lump sum payment and they divided it out to my creditors. I spoke to them the most at the beginning, and it was just great. I also didn't have to get those calls from the creditors anymore. I've already talked to many people about Cambridge.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling was perfectly fine. I had to set up EFT and they did all the debt. I knew it was gonna be two years and they were able to pay the bills when I needed them. Now, it's done and over with. I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I signed up with another company and they sold some of their files to Cambridge. The first company negotiated with my creditors, got the interest rate down considerably and then, when I went to Cambridge, it was all set in order. They continued what the other company was doing but I had to pay $59 a month for this company in California that’s supposed to help you change your way of thinking about credit cards. I talked to them twice a year which was a waste of money and it didn't help me at all.

Cambridge took the money out of my bank account and paid my credit cards. It was fine interacting with their counselors but when I got statements from my creditors, the balance always included the interest. They said they had to call and get the final payoff which was what my bill said. I was uncomfortable with that, but it worked out because sometimes, I would call a creditor and just pay off that one rather than go through Cambridge. Other times, I would send in a money order to apply to a certain creditor. So, that’s how I handled it. For example, if it came down from $129 and I happen to have that amount available, I would call the creditor and pay it off myself and then, notify them that that hasn’t been paid off.

In the middle of 2018, I started staying focused and I was getting all my debts paid off. Towards September, I could see that if I really stayed focused, I could have them all paid off by the end of December and I succeeded in that. It was supposed to be a three-year program but I got it paid in two and a half years because I got bull-headed and decided, “Nope, this is gonna be it.” Cambridge told me towards the end that the $59 I was paying to the additional company, they did it in-house. Had they told me about that before, I could have cancelled my enrolment and saved but they didn't say that until the very end. Nevertheless, I got through it and they notified the bank in December that I was done with them. So, it was a load off my mind and I did learn a lesson. Don’t spend more than you can afford. Cambridge helped me. If people are really in-debt and need to see the end of a tunnel, I would more than likely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was paying too much on my credit card and I needed to consolidate. I got some solicitation from Cambridge in the mail and I followed up from there. All my questions were answered immediately, and once I got going on it, I didn’t have any questions. I just paid the bill very quietly, and all that was done over the course of a bunch of years. It helped me handle a very difficult financial situation.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had gotten into credit card debt and I was getting old. I went with Cambridge Credit Counseling and it took me around four years to get through the whole program. My interactions with the team at Cambridge were fantastic. They had no judgments and they were always pleasant and always helpful. They worked everything out with me and we figured out how much I could pay, and that's what I paid. If I wasn't able to make a payment, I'd call them and they'd set it up to where I catch it up the next time. That was great. Also, the cost was cheap. I am so pleased with Cambridge and I tell everybody who's got any kind of financial issues about them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I've used Cambridge one other time, quite some time ago. Someone had recommended them to me. Signing up with them was really quite easy. I called them and we set up a time for me to meet up with someone there. Then we sat down briefly and went over a few things. There was a helpful gentleman named Andrew that I would speak with on occasion if I had questions. I had outstanding credit cards and Cambridge got in touch with anyone that I had dealt with and came up with one lump sum that would come out of my bank account every month. I had automatic payment and the payments they took was perfect. It worked great for me. They have relieved a lot of stress. I’ve paid everything off in full and it feels good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had outstanding bills and I sought the services of Cambridge. They were very courteous whenever I called. I didn't have any trouble with them at all. I gave them the list of my bills and they called up my creditors. Not having received any phone calls, I assumed that it has all been paid off. I contacted Cambridge a few times to find out how many more months I had and they were very polite. Whenever money had to be sent out, I made sure it was a certain day to make sure I had it in the account. If I was short, which happened only a couple of times, I would tell them it could be a few days, because my check probably didn't get in there due to the holidays and they were understanding. I was very pleased with the company and I had an excellent experience with them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my credit card debts. I contacted Cambridge, got it all setup within the next day, and got everything in order. They did really well. They were really nice and they had excellent customer service. They were very helpful and always friendly whenever I call and ask questions. The payment plan was easy and really affordable. I didn’t even realize I was paying Cambridge for their services as well until I got the statements, but it wasn’t that bad. I was done with everything three and a half years later.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

A few years ago, Cambridge Credit Counseling helped me with my situation and provided me with consolidation for two credit cards. I spoke with someone on the phone and he explained what the process would be. It was pretty straightforward and easy. My mom was the one asking most of the questions though. She heard about Cambridge from a friend.

They were really organized. The payments were automated but they would send me statements via email. I stuck to the program for a couple of years and completed it. And I really liked that flexibility. Plus, the cost versus the quality of service was excellent. They helped me realize what I could do with my finances to get myself back on track. Now, I’m more aware of my credit than I was a few years ago. It was a great experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I was in Cambridge Credit's program for about two years and I settled all the credit card debts that I've put up with them. I liked that they didn’t charge a lot of money to take care of the problem. Enrolling with them was fast and easy. Their staff was easy to work with and friendly. Anytime I called, I was able to get a quick answer from them. Cambridge's payment plan was cheaper than what I was paying per month. It’s easy and very straightforward to make the monthly payments at a certain amount of time, and it will be taken care of, and you’ll be done. When we fell on a hard time one month, they've helped us out. It was very comfortable working with Cambridge. I felt like I’ve got a big weight off my shoulders. I would recommend them to somebody else.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I went with to Cambridge Credit Counseling and I have finished their program. They did what they said and it was easy for me. Their payment plan was fine. I had direct deposit and they took care of what needed to be taken care of. They email me monthly to let me know where my account stood.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg