2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.87/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
View More View More

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I did a little research and called several different programs, but Cambridge got back with me a little bit more. I incurred a lot of debt and upon initial contact with them, they were very responsive and followed up well with me. The customer service was great and everything was very positive. They had one number for customer service and they had another number for people who were already enrolled in the program. Sometimes I wouldn’t have my paperwork in front of me so I would Google it and call a number and then that would not be the right number but they would get back with me, so it was just a matter of me probably getting to the right number at that point.

I got monthly statements which told me what had been dispersed, when and to whom. If I had a question about anything, I would get an email and a phone call back. Towards the end, I was trying to get my balance in order so that I can get my sons in order to pay, and that took a little bit of time but I understand that Cambridge wanted to make sure the balance was as accurate as it could be for me.

Looking back on it, I’m grateful that I could pull off the payment plan. I wasn’t sure that I could at the time, but I did. Given how much I was paying in credit card bills just to make the minimum payment, it was probably an improvement. The difference being that it was a lump sum that came out rather than when I could make it. So, I would recommend Cambridge to anybody as opposed to bankruptcy. Paying that money every month plus the information they would send out about credit and trying to keep your credit good helps you to realize you’re not doing yourself any favors to get in debt.

I’m a real researcher, so I probably did my homework and I would suggest other people do research. The good thing about Cambridge was they were the mediator initially, particularly because there were a couple of my creditors that were nasty and tried to be overbearing. So, I appreciated them being there to handle that. The particular person that I worked with initially was wonderful. She was very kind but she was also very matter of fact. She spelled out everything for me well. Granted my circumstances were different than many because it was sort of a hardship kinda situation for me, but I would do it all over again although I never want to go there again.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had a lot of credit cards and my minimum payments were too high for me to handle, so I needed help. I went online, read reviews and looked at several companies, and Cambridge had the best reviews. I did the debt management program with them and my enrollment process was easy. I made one phone call and Chris, the gentleman who helped me, just told me what to do and what to expect. They kept up with me several times. They would send me emails and I'd go over all the information. I did feel under pressure on the first call, but everything was clear with what was happening, what I was doing.

I sent them my credit report, and then I had to make my first payment with them. I told them, “I don’t have money to pay you and my creditors this month. I can only choose one.” I ended up choosing Cambridge and that took a hit on my credit report for that one month that I didn’t make payments with my creditors. What happens is they make an offer to the creditor and they’ll make a certain amount of payment, and the creditor could take it or reject it. That took a little longer. They told me one price for my monthly payment but it went up two more times. They said, “Okay. We’re gonna pay all your bills this month for…” Let’s say, $1,000. And then, some creditors rejected it, so then it'd go up another 50 bucks, and then, maybe it’d go up another $50.

Cambridge offered classes online and literature. I went over some of it. I didn’t take advantage of it as much, the way I should. I just stuck to the plan of paying the bill and letting time pass. So far, I'm finished with the program. I would recommend them and I have recommended them to friends, because their price compared to everybody else was fair. They were at the minimum for what they were doing for me. And it was very affordable and straightforward. They were charging me $50 a month to run the program and I was able to get what I needed done. I would’ve been over my budget by 400, but I was able to bring it right where I could stand it with their help.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my credit cards, get the interest rates down, and get them all paid off. I read about Cambridge online and they had really good reviews. Their fees were low and they seemed reputable. A lot of the other companies that I looked at were trying to sell something. Instead of help, they wanted to give a loan. They wanted us to borrow money from them. But Cambridge just wanted to help us get out of that. So, I called them and I said I was interested in paying off my credit cards. I was barely paying over the minimum and I didn’t wanna pay all the interest. They asked what accounts that I had and what the totals were. They then contacted my creditors for me on my behalf, with my permission, and negotiated interest rates.

Going through the process was easy and Cambridge set everything up. They deducted the payment automatically every single month. Everything was one lump sum and then they paid out of that lump sum. They individually disbursed the money to the creditors. Every once in a while, they would send me emails to do financial check-up and they wanted to do phone conversations about healthy budgets and healthy spending. I never utilized those services, but they’d be very helpful.

The service cost was also well worth it. In the end, I possibly could have called my creditors myself and negotiated my interest rates on my own and save myself a monthly fee and have the $700 something in fees, which honestly, it’s not that bad compared to the interest I would’ve paid had I not done it. I could have maybe possible saved myself $800, but I really have zero complaints about the fees to the result that they got me, with the low interest rates. It was honestly worth it. Cambridge was easy to deal with and their people were professional. If I had questions, they were prompt in returning my calls. Then, the whole process was supposed to take 4 years, but I ended up upping my payment, and I got it done in about three. I shaved about a year off and I am done. Now, it’s really nice having that money back in my pocket every month.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I were listening to an AM radio at night and I always heard this guy who was a local in Cleveland. I trusted the guy because I had listened to him for a long time. He mentioned debt relief with Cambridge so many times that I decided to do it because I couldn’t do it by myself because the interest rates were getting way too high. I had $70,000 debt and I couldn't even believe I had that much to pay off. I made a mistake of letting somebody else use my credit cards so I learned a lot.

While with Cambridge, I didn’t really work with a counselor although there was a counselor named Brian back in February 2015. I talked to him when I signed up. Other than that, nobody checked on me to see how much spending was coming or what I was doing. I just knew that if I didn’t do this, I would never do it. Once in a while, I would call them like when I called to change because I couldn’t pay on such and such date my payment was due and that I would do it before the five days. I would always get so many different people. They were very nice every time I talked to them. A couple of times when I had to change my payments because I was out of work for a while, they were a little strict. They would tell me that this would change my interest rates. That worried me but they were good. All of it was a really good experience.

The cost of Cambridge was very fair. And just them helping in getting the interest rate down was very great too. Just the relief to be out of debt has impacted my life. I never thought I could get out of debt that fast for that amount of money. It came in perfect timing because I ended up having a brain aneurysm last month. I didn’t have to worry about a payment coming up. I’m since retiring now from my company that I’ve been with for 34 years and I’m able to do that because I’m not in debt anymore. I know too that I can never have a credit card ever again. I know I will never get one again because I know how quickly it is to get in debt. I won’t step in certain stores that did not lower the interest either. JCPenney was at zero percent interest. But as far as the other companies that wouldn’t go below 10 to at least 7 to help people pay off their debt, I will not honor those stores anymore.

The only thing with Cambridge is they don’t really advertise. I only heard about it on a radio talk show. I’m a flight attendant and I have a lot of friends that are in debt. When I mentioned Cambridge to my friends, they were like, “Who are they?” Cambridge is really a reputable company and I know that. But you’re leery at first because you’re afraid that you’re gonna get duped. But I just knew I had no choice because my credit cards were maxed and I had nowhere to go. Cambridge should advertise better.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Cambridge really helped me a lot to consolidate everything, take the pressure off me and put things in perspective as far as getting my debt paid off. I was in depression about the debt that I had and I couldn’t afford to pay for it when they retired me. I was on a fixed income. Cambridge was just exactly like it was told to me that it’ll come a time when I’ll see my debt go down and down and down, and then at the end of it, I will have relief. I went with Cambridge to help me through this process because of word-of-mouth. I also went on the website and read all that was going on with the company and how they conduct everything. Part of it was also talking to the representative ensuring me that I will be able to get relief, and it wasn’t outrageously costly. I trust in the sense that my grandmother always said, “You go with your intuition and you trust your first thought.”

I completed the program and as far as enrolling, it was not complicated. It was very simple. In the beginning, my coach led me along the way. They kept in contact with me and let me know that if I had any questions or anything, to contact them. And I would just be questioning once every few months to find out where I was at. They were there every step of the way, and that’s the best thing I loved about it. They didn’t leave me hanging. Cambridge made my life a whole lot at ease. It gave me a peace of mind that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was very blessed to be able to not have to worry about debt 'cause life changes for people within a blink of an eye. You could be riding high on sunshine and rainbows and the next thing you know, here comes the storm, tornadoes, and earthquake. And it was like I felt the floor was taken from up under my feet. Now I can walk on the floor sturdy and I can keep going. It is such a relief.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi there, Sharon. That's great advice from your Grandmother and we're happy that it led you to be debt-free! We understand that debt can cause all sorts of negative feelings and it's hard to take steps to address those financial issues, so we'd like to congratulate you on completing our program. Your hard work certainly paid off. Please call us if there's anything else we can do for you. Best of luck!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: June 3, 2020

They helped me to accomplish my goal of eliminating my debt in a timely and professional manner. Although I did not take advantage of the many resources that were available through them, I was very impressed with all the resources and support that was offered and with the excellent customer service provided. I would definitely recommend the agency to friends and family.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Cambridge helped me manage and eliminate all of my debt. I followed and completed the 4 year program and am now completely debt free. It is the best feeling in the world. The negotiated interest rates by Cambridge saved me so much money. Thank you for your help.

Original review: May 29, 2020

We joined the program as a couple and Cambridge Credit worked payments we could afford and we wiped out over $7,000 in debt in our 5 year plan! We received monthly statements and their customer service was always friendly and helpful! I definitely recommend their service to everyone! Lisa H.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I had some problems with my credit and I wrote an email to Cambridge. They replied to me, then they called me, and I took it from there. They were very helpful and respectful. They took their time with me and went through everything and we worked together. Whoever I talked to, even if I texted a message or sent an email, either they called me or answered me to tell me they would get in touch with me, and they did. We resolved everything and everything is back to normal now. The service was very good and I was satisfied with the service. I will recommend them to anybody else.

Original review: May 23, 2020

The customer service of Cambridge was fine. I really didn't have to deal with them much because my payments came out electronically. But there were a couple of times when I was gonna have trouble making the payment. So I talked to them and they worked around it for me. They gave me a timeframe and it went real smoothly.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor