4.76/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2199 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 4, 2019

Cambridge was a great group to work with. We were very happy with them. They were very helpful and easy to work with. We resolved about $55,000 worth of debt and I've recommended them to many people that I know. When I was looking for a program, a lot of my friends had gotten scammed into those, "Don't pay your bill. We'll settle it for 2 cents on the dollar," garbage. I used some of the information on the site of the National Federation of Credit Counselors. I used some of Dave Ramsey's and Clark Howard's information about how to pick good programs to work with. That's how I ended up zeroing in on Cambridge.

The recession had destroyed by husband's business and we had to sell our house that we loved. But we didn't get any of the money we should have had from the equity we had. We lost about 50% of the value of the house so it was a very tough period for us. Before the recession hit, my dad died and my mom went blind and had to move in with us. We had to fix their house up and sell it. We put all of that on the credit card. Before we fixed the house up, the realtor told us what their' house would be worth. But by the end of the year when we finished fixing it up, it was worth half of that. So there was no money to pay us for what we had laid out for them and my mom has needed all of it.

We ended up with this huge amount of credit debt. It was $65,000 worth. It was about $1,900 a month that we were paying on our own and the interest rates were over 20%. Some of them were 25%. It was horrible. I knew we owed these people the money but it was the interest that was killing us. Trying to keep up with it was just insane. Some of them Cambridge got down to 0%. Some of them they got down to 2 or 3%. We were looking at trying to pay it off on our own but it probably would have been 20 years if we've been able to do it.

Cambridge was a big help. The jobs that we ended up finding were only about half of what we had been making before but Cambridge has a financial hardship program, where they reduced the monthly fee for us in half which was very helpful. So it's normally $70 a month to do it through them but on the financial program, they got us paying $35 a month. We finished the program a couple of months ago and my husband is gonna be retiring next year. I have to keep working and we'll have to be careful. But at least he won't have to have to keep working. We also got rid of the mortgage. We live in a dusty, renovated mobile home on a cheap farm in Kentucky now instead of a golf course in South Carolina. But it's cost us a 10th of what it did to live where we used to live. We hope to not have to ever use the credit cards again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was living in Cape Coral, Florida. I had no job but I had lots of debt. So I talked to my Father. I told Him I needed help. I didn't know where to go to get it because I didn't have the money to take care of what I was doing. I had never heard this Cambridge advertisement before but as I was driving, I wrote the number down. I called them and this man answered. We talked and I told him what was going on. He sent me information on what they could do and what the payment would be, and it fit in with what I could do in paying it all back. It was perfect. It took me four years but the interest rates in all of the loans were so high that I was never gonna get it down.

Cambridge went in and got all my interest rates down to almost nothing, and I got it paid off. It was just like that. It was wonderful. Then when I caught myself in the situation again, I went back to Cambridge and they said, “Okay, no problem.” He didn't say, “Oh what the heck are you doing? We’re trying to get you out of debt and here you are, doing what you do.” There was nothing like that. They were wonderful. They were very personable, kind and helpful. I’ve used them three times and they're amazing. I recommend them to everybody. My nephew and his wife got into a big mess and I told them to call Cambridge. They've since split up but the wife said Cambridge was not nice enough. I don't know what the deal is but for me, they're the top of the block.

The very first credit counselor I dealt with never tried to talk down to me because I was in debt. There are a lot of circumstances out there that get you into something that you didn't think would ever get you into but you did. But that doesn't mean that it’s bad unless you robbed a bank or killed somebody. A lot of banks have this high-and-mighty attitude. But these people at Cambridge are down to earth. They’ve been very kind to me. This guy built me up. He made me feel like they could do something for me and I liked that. He spoke hope.

They took all my information as far as what cards I wanted to put on there. I had Dillard’s, a Macy’s and Kohl’s, and the interest rates on those were through the roof. I was getting to a point in my life where I didn't want debt anymore. So I just turned them in to Cambridge. When they got back with me, they said they got my Macy's down to 8%, the Dillard's down to 6% and another at 10%, which was much lesser than what they were charging. I was paying $200 a month before. But now, I’m paying $98 and I’ll have the debt paid off in about three years. In that $98, Cambridge takes their little fee, which is not that much, and I also don't have to deal with those people. I would get a statement every month for each one of those accounts and if I wanna pay extra, I can send Cambridge a check. That’s another thing too. If I wanna pay it off early, there’s not a penalty.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had too many outstanding credit cards and rather than use one and use another one until the other one gets built up a little, we wanted to get them all cancelled and pay it off. Signing up with Cambridge was okay. They took care of the dealings with the card companies and there were no difficulties there. They sent a statement each month of what was paid, how much they deducted, and how they disbursed it. However, they didn’t have anything to show what your starting balance was and that was something they could improve on. Rather than getting the statements in the mail from the card companies anyway, that could’ve saved all the extra mails and add those on to their monthly statements. They could add an extra column, like an Excel, or put the formula in there to give us those types of bills, and show us what the starting balance was, as well as the ending balance.

Towards the end of the program, we were keeping close track so we could make the last portion of the payment. For example, it was set-up to pay $100 a month, but then the last payment would be $65. We tried to call someone there and tell them to stop the payment as it was and we would pay the $65 on our own. But I got different stories on that – can, can’t do it and all that kind of stuff. Conveying with them what we were gonna do with what the last amount was was an issue. I don’t know if it was just newly-trained people or employees not familiar with what they can do. But Cambridge could keep working on educating their employees to what can be done and can’t be done because everyone was slow. One had to call and one had to make some changes. One time, I even got three different answers.

Cambridge also tried to do a lot of stuff electronically instead of having a phone call. For the younger tech-savvy people, that’s okay, but for us older folks, that’s hard. Maybe Cambridge has to think about who their customer is. Nevertheless, we paid off a bunch of our credit cards a year earlier. We got five years into the program, but we did it in only four. We never talked to the card companies themselves. We just talked with Cambridge and had them set it up on all the cards that they could. However, for some reason, there is one company that they can’t deal with, and that’s Bank of America. But Cambridge's interest rates were so low, lower than what you can get nowadays, so that really didn’t interfere. Somehow, we can hit that card on our own here.

The payment plan that we had was okay and working with Cambridge helped us get rid of those credit cards a lot quicker. Now we can use the money for paying off that other credit card, for Bank of America, and then we have a few extra bucks for us to do some things. I have problems because of Agent Orange and my legs are shot. I had to quit my job about the time we set this up, to help with the payments. But Cambridge made it easier for us. We knew what the amount would be to set up a budget to get going through every year. So, Cambridge helped us well. Perhaps they can also advertise in some ways how they can help folks if one of the members becomes disabled or have some medical problem or how they can work that through with cards that they owe on.

When Cambridge did their questioning with me at the beginning, they helped us out because I wasn’t able to work. So, that way, with a bit of disability I get, it went to pay enough of the cards. It went smoothly and we were able to take care of the necessities. Throughout the process, eventually, the amount we had to pay each month went down. So if we got a card paid off, then we could even keep that money or reapply it to the other cards, which was nice to help get the next one paid off quicker. Cambridge is a good program. You can quit if you don’t wanna do it, that kind of thing. But commit yourself to do it and follow it. They will take care of everything. They don’t charge you that much each month to do it. Basically, it’s all taken care of for you and if you just follow it, you should get a very good result out of it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was losing ground on paying off my consumer debt on my own. I needed not so much the supervision of a program, but the consolidation and lower combined payments are what I really went to get help for. Cambridge was recommended to me. On the phone, there were instructions on what I needed to provide for each of the accounts that were selected to be part of the program. I wanted to be part of the program but I couldn't be for one reason and it was explained why. They talked to me about needing to contact the creditors themselves to negotiate or to accept payments through this program and accept lower interest rates. The combination of the lower rates reduced the very painful monthly payments. But, as I recall, it was not any more painful than what I was doing on my own, for each of those. Also, it was easier to make and be accountable for in one focused place.

The automatic payment processes were made on time. It was like when you have something you wanna save for and if you have it taken directly out of your paycheck and you never see it, it's easier to succeed. That's how this was for me. I see it in my account but it's taken care of without me touching anything. The process was painful especially as the five years went on. Still, when it was finished, I was happy. My half understanding of a program like that is, somehow I get hit on your credit report for not paying the full bills. Even so, what I liked about this program was that I'm still liable for the entire balance which I created for myself. So I was glad they're able to pay it that way with a lower rate being the benefit versus a lower principal. I'm sure I would've loved the lower principal but I didn't want the negative effect of what that might have caused.

I was also being treated fairly respectfully. They have easy to understand requests and I also get some feedback when I have a follow-up question. Their transaction was good. I was happy with the service but I would have a suggestion for an enhancement for the monthly statements. Rather than just providing me with the creditor and what I paid them, I would've liked to see the creditor, what I paid them, and the remaining balance.

The cost of service was well worth it. I didn't even have a monthly fee charge. I accumulated some more debt during the program though, I will admit. From that perspective, I wasn't 100% successful. I'm a whole lot better off than what I would've been on my own at this point in time. I would tell others that if they're having any trouble making accumulated monthly payments on a number of cards, I would highly suggest going to an outfit like Cambridge. It helps because it introduces discipline that isn't optional and sometimes, the best of us need a little bit of help in that regard.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Financially I could afford paying my debts, but it was going in so many directions that I knew that I would miss one eventually so I decided to put everything together and make it a lot easier to make one payment. I looked at what Cambridge had to offer, not just that they could consolidate but they also gave financial literacy to help guide and support me on how to use my credit better and build it.

There was some paperwork during the enrollment - some phone calls and little corresponding of what I needed to have taken care of. We correspond mostly through email and it was easy. They paid off my credit cards and I learned more responsibility when it came to having, earning, building and using credit. I've completed the program in three and a half years. Their reps gave me basic updates. Mostly, everything was paperless. I made my payments or I deposited them and they withdrew them. I got statements of my credit cards on a regular, so I kinda kept up with that as well and I knew that they were going down.

If I saw that my payment was gonna be late by a couple of days, I can always call in a couple of weeks ahead of time and let them know to not pull the payment yet, which I thought was really good. They made sure I was staying on top of my monthly bills. It was a huge burden that they had taken off of me. It was a little pricey, but I think it was worth it considering the amount of service that I got. The customer service was very consistent. It was very solid and stable. I really like that I could pick up the phone any time and give them a call and just, “Hey, I just wanna get an update to see how things are going.” They weren’t always able to give me my end balance because I fluctuate at times, so I would have to wait for my monthly statements but they would let me know if there was any issues or when one would fall off like, “Okay, that one’s been paid off.” The payment was always consistent.

When one got paid off, they would pay more on the other ones.The only thing I wasn’t clear on was when my credit cards were paid off, they were also closed. I was always under the impression that when one closes, it hurts your credit. In which case, they always told me that, “Yeah, when it got paid off, it was closed." It’s a good thing because I don’t need those credit cards and I’ve learned to delegate a lot better with that. Cambridge was a great learning experience and if I ever find myself in that predicament again, which I don’t foresee because I did learn a lot through it, I would definitely use Cambridge again. I would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: July 4, 2019

I got some credit counseling from Cambridge and it worked out great. I told them what I needed and they told me the cost and then they took care of the rest. They figured out what I could afford to pay and how long it would take me to pay down the debt that I had. And then we came up with a monthly payment amount. If I had any questions, I would just call them and give them my account number, and then they would connect me to the person I was dealing with. It was very well-organized. Thank you for your service, Cambridge.

Original review: June 30, 2019

The enrollment process of Cambridge was great. They explained everything step-by-step. They asked me what bills I'm trying to pay off, and they explained to me the process, and how it's going to work and how many years it's going to take me with the amount that I'm paying every month. I completed the process and I no longer owe anything. I'm back on track with my bills. I even omitted all that credit cards. I only have one card, and I maintain that card with caution. Completing the program has made me feel absolutely wonderful. I got a certificate of completion. And I maintain my bills much better now. The cost was great too. I get my statement every month. They put me onto a counselor who I could talk to, to show how to maintain my bills, my credit card, and everything. So it was great. I had no problem. I recommend all my friends at my job who have problems with bills to Cambridge.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Somebody that had experience with Cambridge recommended them. Some of my debts were getting behind. I wanted to pay, but I needed a way that I could afford it. They helped me with all of that and did a wonderful job. They were efficient and kept me abreast of what was happening and how they were handling the account. They always sent me a copy or records of what was going on. The program took about five years to complete and it helped me out a lot.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2019

After 2 years working with them and me turning my life around, increasing my income by over 50 percent, paying off both our cars and our house, working on my credit score, no late payments, no new credit purchases, doing everything I could for 2 years and not one bad mark, I thought it would be time to work with them and speed the process up by adding more more to my monthly payments. I called, sent emails, no reply. Then last month I get a 30 day late payment from one of the account they are paying on my credit report and it drops 60 points, and I think a late payment stays on your report for 3 years. I hope only 3, I heard 7 years also. I am checking tomorrow to find out.

I have been calling them and sending emails for weeks with no response to my emails at all, nothing. When I call a lady answers and says she will check into it and have them call, be right back. They never call back, 3 weeks now. And it was a 30 day late payment. So 30 days and another 3 weeks makes 51 days. They knew the payment was late and have not tried to contact me at all. But they still take their money out of my account. Terrible company. Run, run, run, far away. Don't responded to their emails or their promises over the phone because when you need them they won't respond either...

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Rennie, we want to congratulate you on the many positive steps you’ve taken to rehabilitate and improve your credit. You are certainly making a great effort to address your past issues. We should take a moment to examine your account history and explore a couple of inaccuracies that were included in your review.

First, you did not send us any emails that went unanswered for three weeks. Our records indicate that you called us on June 21 and that you sent us three emails on June 27, to which we immediately replied. These emails and your review were submitted 6 days after your initial call, which was to inform us that you had received a late mark from one of your creditors.

In response to that information, we had advised you that we would research the account and call back once that work was completed. (Cambridge does not receive monthly statements from our clients’ creditors, so we rely on clients like you to keep us abreast of any unusual developments, just as you had done.) Though we had reached out to the creditor involved, the issue had not been resolved within the 6 days that transpired between your initial call and subsequent emails.

Cambridge’s client services manager has emailed you, but you haven’t replied to her messages. Instead, you’ve sent us two additional emails complaining about the original issue, alleging falsely that we haven’t responded to you. This is simply untrue. In fact, we completed our research on your account and rectified the problem. When we tried to inform you of this, you did not respond.

Last year, you missed a payment. This caused your account to fall behind, but not a full 30 days behind. In June, it finally went over the 30-day mark, which we discovered when we sent the creditor what was supposed to be the final payment needed to pay off the account. Your creditor also performed a full review of your account and credited you a significant amount of money. They also “re-aged” the account, bringing it current.

While we completely respect the effort and determination you’ve put into improving your credit, there was nothing Cambridge could have done to avert the damage done by the payment you missed. Our work in the aftermath of that missed payment did take longer than the 6 days that elapsed between your messages, but your patience was needed for us to complete our work on your behalf, which we are pleased to report was successful.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my debts and get rid of one of my credit cards. After reading a few reviews which said that Cambridge was good, I enrolled in their program. The rep told me Cambridge could help me cut down my debt and that it'll show in my credit report that I'm paid off. She said she can lower my monthly payment and can get it where I would pay less over the course of the year. But I ended up paying $5,000, double of what I owed which was $3,000. I could've settled with GE for $2,200 or less. All in all, it was a horrible experience. I thought I would be paying less but I paid more over the course of time. I wanted to cancel it but I was in a contract that I didn't know of. I wasn't happy with my experience and I wouldn't recommend Cambridge to anyone.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Dieresha, as you know, Cambridge Credit Counseling is not a debt settlement company. The debt management program we offer was explained to you and a detailed Service Agreement was provided in writing before you chose to join our Debt Management Program, or DMP. Our Debt Management Plan Summary, provided to you before your first DMP payment, disclosed the amount that would be repaid throughout your tenure on the program. You successfully completed your debt management program and paid off your debt in a timely manner. We were happy to assist you in that effort, facilitating lower interest rates that allowed you to pay much less over time than you would have paid on your own.

After reviewing your account notes, we saw that you contacted us twice regarding the issue referenced in this review. Again, as our phone and file records clearly indicate, the details of your DMP were thoroughly explained to you. You were advised on several occasions that you could cancel your DMP at any time without penalty, and we provided instructions on how to do so. (Our program is voluntary and a consumer can cancel the program at any time by requesting it in writing through mail, fax, or email, without owing Cambridge any money.) This information was provided to you in July 2015 and again in September 2017.

If you were truly unhappy with our services, you could have canceled at any time, yet you chose to remain on the program and then completed it successfully. You’ve claimed that you paid more over time than you would have if you had settled your debts, which is likely true. (Debt settlement companies charge very high fees and there are often significant tax liabilities on the amount forgiven, so true “savings” through a for-profit settlement company are hard to achieve.)

Beyond that fact, settling your debt would have negatively affected your credit report and credit standing.

Before you joined Cambridge’s debt management program you were paying approximately 22.99% in interest. Through our program, that rate was reduced to an average of just 15%. This allowed you to repay your debt safely and responsibly, with your creditor's approval and without the threat of lawsuits. That is why debt management plans are popular and successful – they allow clients to experience peace of mind and save money.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I travel a lot for work and I was making regular payments to credit cards. And because I wasn’t home to look at the bills, I got myself into a situation. I wasn’t paying them on the right days so the amount started to get out of control, and I wanted to get away from all the credit card debts that I had. I did some internet research and came up with Cambridge Credit Counseling. I had found some good recommendations online, and I was comfortable that they were a safe and reliable resource. The enrollment process was very simple.

Cambridge has a great program. They were very clear, they communicated really well, I got regular messages and emails, they provided regular feedback, they checked in to see how other things were going, and they offered additional resources. And at the end, they came back to see if there was anything that they could do for help. So, it’s very thorough. The program helped me get out of that situation that I managed to get myself in. There were very much emphasis on education, not that I didn’t already understand what I had done wrong. So, they made sure to help you understand how to avoid the pitfalls in the future.

I have completed the process at this point. Cambridge did great by way of explaining and discussing the process with me and they were very reassuring with what would be a good resource and good help. They let me know everything that was happening all the way through. There weren’t any negative aspects to the program. It was all really good. I would recommend Cambridge to other people to use it because they were great. I hope I never have to use it again, but I had a good comfortable level with them.

As for the payment plan, I was set up with the auto pay deduction. They set it all up, told me what the amount was gonna be, when it was gonna come out, and it happened routinely at the same time. They would update when things changed with balances with the credit cards that I was covering like when things were paid off. Also, the cost was low. The savings on the credit card interest fees was huge. Cambridge was really helpful and easy to work with. Working with them helped me get out of the really sticky, ugly situation. It would’ve been a lot harder for me to do on my own. I never had that problem before, so having somebody who did know how to navigate it was helpful.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I had a bunch of credit cards that was gonna take my whole life to pay off. I wanted to try and get out of them so I signed up for Cambridge Credit to help me through it. They set up a program to reduce the interest on a lot of my credit cards and got the payments down lower. Right now, they are taking the money out of my checking out and doing the payments for me. They did a lot for me and gave me a lot of different programs that I can get into to get discounts at different places. It made a big difference in the financial end of my life. In terms of working with their reps, I felt comfortable. They did everything and I didn't have to do anything. I just let them do what they had to do. Cambridge is a good place to do business with.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had a 400-pound table fall on top of me and trapped me for 12 and a half hours. My leg was numb. I was in the hospital and I had all these hospital bills. The ambulance service in Tallahassee was like $400 and I had to go twice. Collectors call and harass you. They’re entitled to their money. I have no problem with that, but I just couldn’t do it. I wasn’t working. My son kept saying to send everybody $5 a month, but I couldn't do that.

I started out calling the Better Business Bureau and they referred me to Cambridge Credit Counseling. A lot of those other companies squash your bills but then they really don’t. They cut them in half. I could negotiate that and wouldn't need anybody else. Most of them charge a fortune too and they're not really legitimate. I called Cambridge with the mindset that I could say “no” if I didn't like them. But I thought they were wonderful.

I had a very easy enrollment process. There was a lady named Tina who was wonderful. At first, they sent me a thing saying it was gonna cost $40 or $50 a month. I called Tina back and I said that I couldn't do that. I might as well just the send the $50 every month to a bill collector. She said that was a mistake and they cut the cost down to $10 a month which was affordable. I thought it was very reasonable. $10 a month for peace of mind and not having harassing phone calls, I’d pay more for that.

My counselor was absolutely wonderful too. If I had any questions, I always asked for her and she answered. In fact, I've sent several people to her. Cambridge sent me a letter thanking me for referring people to them. There was only once where I called and the main person that answered the phone was kinda curt. But it could’ve been my demeanor, too. I completed the program with Cambridge and I highly recommend them.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I was maxed out on my credit cards and Cambridge put me on a debt management where they just paid off my credit cards. They set up a payment plan, and they automatically deduct that from my bank account every month to pay off the bills. I’ve completed the program and their service was good.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I used Cambridge in the past and they did a good job. Their program is very useful if you’re trying to get your life back on track from debt. The enrollment process is easy as long as you know what you owe. To get the ball rolling, you either give them a call or an email and they will get in contact with you. The case counselor does all the hard work for you. I got to talk to them probably three times when it started and then, they sent me an email after I completed the program, which was two months ago.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I started with a different company, and that company sold out and transferred everything to Cambridge. I went into credit card consolidation and they set up the payment plan to come out automatically every month. Working with Cambridge got rid of the debt. It’s nice to know you don’t have it anymore.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I got myself into a fix with my credit card, and my boyfriend went through Cambridge. He referred them to me, and I went with them. I was with Cambridge a couple of times, and they were wonderful. They helped me out big time. They were very nice and very attentive. They got me down in a good amount of time, and out of debt. They didn't take too much money, so it was nice.

When I reached out, they responded very quickly, and they got right back to me, so I like that. They got the rate down pretty good for me, which if I had to pay the credit cards off, I’d still be paying them. I’d have never gotten out of debt. I’d have just been paying interest. Cambridge was very good. I just finished with them last summer, and I’m not as stressed as I used to be.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I found Cambridge Credit very reliable and helpful. I just moved to a new apartment and I didn't have a job so, I needed help. They laid on it for me and I got consolidation. I was on the program for a year and it got me caught up. I was able to pay it off early. They worked with me on a payment plan. I was very comfortable working with the counselor and the customer support was awesome. With Cambridge, I watch my money better. I also watch what I buy and go for the needs more than the wants. I would recommend them to anyone struggling or having a hard time. They make it so much easier to deal with.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling was recommended by a family member who was trying to help us out of a touch situation. We had a lot of credit card debt, and they did it really simple and easy. They gave us good tools for a monthly budget, and they did all the legwork with the credit card companies. They had us set on a fixed and easy plan. It was tough to do monthly, but there weren’t any variables anymore, so it was just a debt plan, and it had an end date.

At one point, we had to call and see if we could get the monthly payment reduced because my wife switched jobs, and they were able to work with us on that. So, all in all, they made it a very easy transition into eventually getting out of that debt. We had one specific person at the beginning. But when we called and had questions, they were able to help us. It was all very easy to work with them, and we finished the program now. It was absolutely worth the cost. I’d definitely recommend Cambridge to anybody that I know going through the kind of times we were in.

Original review: June 1, 2019

We just completed the program with Cambridge. They kept part of the money in May, and we didn't have to pay them anything this month. So, we're free. I did a lot of it online at first and then the credit bureau went. Everything went right and we got it all paid off. It was a pretty good experience. But I didn't hear from them for a long time. They didn't call me and I wished they had because I had no communication with them.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I've had Cambridge before and they did very good service for me. The enrollment process was pleasant and I went through it before, so there was nothing unusual. I got my certificate and everything has been fine. The counselor was very nice and professional. Plus, the payment plan was very efficient. Also, the cost was excellent against the quality of service that I received from Cambridge.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I had too much credit card debt when I called Cambridge to enroll and the process was pretty simple. I spoke with a counselor who told me what I needed to do. I was in the credit card consolidation program for three years. I paid one fee and they negotiated on the lower payment. There was one lump sum that I paid to them and monthly, they repaid all of my creditors. I’m done now and I’ve definitely reduced my credit card debt so that was a plus. Everybody was real nice too. I would get updates about my budget, where I was and the importance of doing a budget then they would check on me. So they were very helpful and thorough. I’ve even recommended them to a friend.

Original review: May 26, 2019

My son took off and left me with a lot of debt. Some of these were his bills because I co-signed for them. But I’m on social security and I draw a union pension. I figured if I paid one off, the other wouldn’t be done and charging more interest. So I feared my best bet was to try to do something where I can pay so much a month without leaving me enough money to buy groceries.

But Cambridge took it off my hands. They talked to me about what kind of money I got a month and how much I would be able to let them take. They checked with me to see how much I was having to pay out for my housing and my electric and water bills. They took all that into consideration in determining how much they could get out of my account to pay these other bills. Then they take so much out of my check a month to pay on the bill and and that made life easier on me. Once a month, I knew the money had to come out and I could always take it off my checkbook when I got my checks so I knew that money was there in the account with them.

Cambridge took a lot of weight off of me because I’m getting older and I was being pulled right and left. They kept the creditors from driving me nuts. I was getting calls and some of these business that were calling me, I didn't even remember ever doing business with them. That’s how bad it was. At this point, I had gotten most of the debt paid off. With Cambridge getting the money out, paying it and then sending me the thing showing that they paid it, that works for me. They sent me a thing showing me how much I owed and how much they paid on it. And each time, it would definitely show that they had been taking it off until there was nothing left. They even showed me how much was still left on for each time that they do it.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I owed about $8,000 on five different things and Cambridge paid them off in three and a half years. I paid them $200 a month and they took the interest off completely. They also taught me how to pay some off on my own and how much money I should put away every month for myself. The enrollment process was nice too, because it was only a $35 fee and that was it. It wasn't a rip-off and they kept sending letters every couple of months with questions on this or that, if you wanna add more or if there's any problem. If you call them, they're also right there. They have all your accounts in front of them and they answer any questions. They were really good. Everything was going smooth.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Congratulations, Edward, on completing our program! It's great that we were able to work with your creditors to get your interest rates so low. Our monthly fees are regulated by state laws and the debts that are brought onto the program, so they vary from consumer to consumer, but as a non-profit, we try to keep them as low as possible! Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling was very thorough and they seemed very nice. Everybody took care of me when I would send emails and the payment plan is very reasonable. Working with them makes me feel really good. It gives me hope for the future.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I needed to consolidate some credit cards, and Cambridge was recommended to me. The enrollment process was fairly easy. I'm visually impaired, so is my husband, so they had to help us fill in a lot of the criteria, but it went smoothly. They were receptive. And I'm finished with the program. Working with Cambridge helped me take care of some debt that I wasn’t able to take care of myself. And we closed some credit cards down.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had a credit card that I was trying to get rid off, and I didn't wanna go bankrupt. So, I consolidated. I quit using it before I could pay it off. I had no problem after I enrolled with Cambridge. They did what they said they would do. And I paid the card off this year. Cambridge was really nice. If I had to do it again, I would do the same thing. The only thing I didn't really understand was I was paying $273 a month, and they were charging $10 for something that wasn't with the account. I don't know what it was, but I never questioned them because I figured, if they charge $10, it was for a reason. Other than that, I was satisfied.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Cambridge consolidated all my credit cards into one payment. It was very easy to enroll with their program and I was able to eliminate my debt. The reps were always very nice and helpful. They were able to go the extra mile as far as emailing me any information I needed. They either would assist me by email or over the phone. It was always pleasant and helpful. They worked it out where I was able to make the payment. Cambridge helped clear up my debt. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Cambridge got rid of the interest and made it possible to pay it all back, and I did. Getting started with their program was easy. They did all the work and the payments. I just followed the payment schedule. Their counselors were very nice people. They would call me every few months. They'd send emails or call, and we talked every now and then. It was a nice experience. Cambridge was very helpful. If you get in a bind I was in, try it.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I would recommend Cambridge. Their service was good and their payment system was a little bit easier to have. Specifically, I liked the automatic withdrawal. After I cancelled the automatic withdrawals, they didn’t take personal checks, so it was hard to send the payment because you had to get the money order. Other than that, their reps were all nice. The process took me four years and the cost was doable. Since working with them, I no longer have credit card debts.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg