2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.84/5

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
View More View More

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I did a little research and called several different programs, but Cambridge got back with me a little bit more. I incurred a lot of debt and upon initial contact with them, they were very responsive and followed up well with me. The customer service was great and everything was very positive. They had one number for customer service and they had another number for people who were already enrolled in the program. Sometimes I wouldn’t have my paperwork in front of me so I would Google it and call a number and then that would not be the right number but they would get back with me, so it was just a matter of me probably getting to the right number at that point.

I got monthly statements which told me what had been dispersed, when and to whom. If I had a question about anything, I would get an email and a phone call back. Towards the end, I was trying to get my balance in order so that I can get my sons in order to pay, and that took a little bit of time but I understand that Cambridge wanted to make sure the balance was as accurate as it could be for me.

Looking back on it, I’m grateful that I could pull off the payment plan. I wasn’t sure that I could at the time, but I did. Given how much I was paying in credit card bills just to make the minimum payment, it was probably an improvement. The difference being that it was a lump sum that came out rather than when I could make it. So, I would recommend Cambridge to anybody as opposed to bankruptcy. Paying that money every month plus the information they would send out about credit and trying to keep your credit good helps you to realize you’re not doing yourself any favors to get in debt.

I’m a real researcher, so I probably did my homework and I would suggest other people do research. The good thing about Cambridge was they were the mediator initially, particularly because there were a couple of my creditors that were nasty and tried to be overbearing. So, I appreciated them being there to handle that. The particular person that I worked with initially was wonderful. She was very kind but she was also very matter of fact. She spelled out everything for me well. Granted my circumstances were different than many because it was sort of a hardship kinda situation for me, but I would do it all over again although I never want to go there again.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I were listening to an AM radio at night and I always heard this guy who was a local in Cleveland. I trusted the guy because I had listened to him for a long time. He mentioned debt relief with Cambridge so many times that I decided to do it because I couldn’t do it by myself because the interest rates were getting way too high. I had $70,000 debt and I couldn't even believe I had that much to pay off. I made a mistake of letting somebody else use my credit cards so I learned a lot.

While with Cambridge, I didn’t really work with a counselor although there was a counselor named Brian back in February 2015. I talked to him when I signed up. Other than that, nobody checked on me to see how much spending was coming or what I was doing. I just knew that if I didn’t do this, I would never do it. Once in a while, I would call them like when I called to change because I couldn’t pay on such and such date my payment was due and that I would do it before the five days. I would always get so many different people. They were very nice every time I talked to them. A couple of times when I had to change my payments because I was out of work for a while, they were a little strict. They would tell me that this would change my interest rates. That worried me but they were good. All of it was a really good experience.

The cost of Cambridge was very fair. And just them helping in getting the interest rate down was very great too. Just the relief to be out of debt has impacted my life. I never thought I could get out of debt that fast for that amount of money. It came in perfect timing because I ended up having a brain aneurysm last month. I didn’t have to worry about a payment coming up. I’m since retiring now from my company that I’ve been with for 34 years and I’m able to do that because I’m not in debt anymore. I know too that I can never have a credit card ever again. I know I will never get one again because I know how quickly it is to get in debt. I won’t step in certain stores that did not lower the interest either. JCPenney was at zero percent interest. But as far as the other companies that wouldn’t go below 10 to at least 7 to help people pay off their debt, I will not honor those stores anymore.

The only thing with Cambridge is they don’t really advertise. I only heard about it on a radio talk show. I’m a flight attendant and I have a lot of friends that are in debt. When I mentioned Cambridge to my friends, they were like, “Who are they?” Cambridge is really a reputable company and I know that. But you’re leery at first because you’re afraid that you’re gonna get duped. But I just knew I had no choice because my credit cards were maxed and I had nowhere to go. Cambridge should advertise better.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Cambridge really helped me a lot to consolidate everything, take the pressure off me and put things in perspective as far as getting my debt paid off. I was in depression about the debt that I had and I couldn’t afford to pay for it when they retired me. I was on a fixed income. Cambridge was just exactly like it was told to me that it’ll come a time when I’ll see my debt go down and down and down, and then at the end of it, I will have relief. I went with Cambridge to help me through this process because of word-of-mouth. I also went on the website and read all that was going on with the company and how they conduct everything. Part of it was also talking to the representative ensuring me that I will be able to get relief, and it wasn’t outrageously costly. I trust in the sense that my grandmother always said, “You go with your intuition and you trust your first thought.”

I completed the program and as far as enrolling, it was not complicated. It was very simple. In the beginning, my coach led me along the way. They kept in contact with me and let me know that if I had any questions or anything, to contact them. And I would just be questioning once every few months to find out where I was at. They were there every step of the way, and that’s the best thing I loved about it. They didn’t leave me hanging. Cambridge made my life a whole lot at ease. It gave me a peace of mind that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was very blessed to be able to not have to worry about debt 'cause life changes for people within a blink of an eye. You could be riding high on sunshine and rainbows and the next thing you know, here comes the storm, tornadoes, and earthquake. And it was like I felt the floor was taken from up under my feet. Now I can walk on the floor sturdy and I can keep going. It is such a relief.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi there, Sharon. That's great advice from your Grandmother and we're happy that it led you to be debt-free! We understand that debt can cause all sorts of negative feelings and it's hard to take steps to address those financial issues, so we'd like to congratulate you on completing our program. Your hard work certainly paid off. Please call us if there's anything else we can do for you. Best of luck!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I travel a lot for work and I was making regular payments to credit cards. And because I wasn’t home to look at the bills, I got myself into a situation. I wasn’t paying them on the right days so the amount started to get out of control, and I wanted to get away from all the credit card debts that I had. I did some internet research and came up with Cambridge Credit Counseling. I had found some good recommendations online, and I was comfortable that they were a safe and reliable resource. The enrollment process was very simple.

Cambridge has a great program. They were very clear, they communicated really well, I got regular messages and emails, they provided regular feedback, they checked in to see how other things were going, and they offered additional resources. And at the end, they came back to see if there was anything that they could do for help. So, it’s very thorough. The program helped me get out of that situation that I managed to get myself in. There were very much emphasis on education, not that I didn’t already understand what I had done wrong. So, they made sure to help you understand how to avoid the pitfalls in the future.

I have completed the process at this point. Cambridge did great by way of explaining and discussing the process with me and they were very reassuring with what would be a good resource and good help. They let me know everything that was happening all the way through. There weren’t any negative aspects to the program. It was all really good. I would recommend Cambridge to other people to use it because they were great. I hope I never have to use it again, but I had a good comfortable level with them.

As for the payment plan, I was set up with the auto pay deduction. They set it all up, told me what the amount was gonna be, when it was gonna come out, and it happened routinely at the same time. They would update when things changed with balances with the credit cards that I was covering like when things were paid off. Also, the cost was low. The savings on the credit card interest fees was huge. Cambridge was really helpful and easy to work with. Working with them helped me get out of the really sticky, ugly situation. It would’ve been a lot harder for me to do on my own. I never had that problem before, so having somebody who did know how to navigate it was helpful.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Cambridge was a great group to work with. We were very happy with them. They were very helpful and easy to work with. We resolved about $55,000 worth of debt and I've recommended them to many people that I know. When I was looking for a program, a lot of my friends had gotten scammed into those, "Don't pay your bill. We'll settle it for 2 cents on the dollar," garbage. I used some of the information on the site of the National Federation of Credit Counselors. I used some of Dave Ramsey's and Clark Howard's information about how to pick good programs to work with. That's how I ended up zeroing in on Cambridge.

The recession had destroyed by husband's business and we had to sell our house that we loved. But we didn't get any of the money we should have had from the equity we had. We lost about 50% of the value of the house so it was a very tough period for us. Before the recession hit, my dad died and my mom went blind and had to move in with us. We had to fix their house up and sell it. We put all of that on the credit card. Before we fixed the house up, the realtor told us what their' house would be worth. But by the end of the year when we finished fixing it up, it was worth half of that. So there was no money to pay us for what we had laid out for them and my mom has needed all of it.

We ended up with this huge amount of credit debt. It was $65,000 worth. It was about $1,900 a month that we were paying on our own and the interest rates were over 20%. Some of them were 25%. It was horrible. I knew we owed these people the money but it was the interest that was killing us. Trying to keep up with it was just insane. Some of them Cambridge got down to 0%. Some of them they got down to 2 or 3%. We were looking at trying to pay it off on our own but it probably would have been 20 years if we've been able to do it.

Cambridge was a big help. The jobs that we ended up finding were only about half of what we had been making before but Cambridge has a financial hardship program, where they reduced the monthly fee for us in half which was very helpful. So it's normally $70 a month to do it through them but on the financial program, they got us paying $35 a month. We finished the program a couple of months ago and my husband is gonna be retiring next year. I have to keep working and we'll have to be careful. But at least he won't have to have to keep working. We also got rid of the mortgage. We live in a dusty, renovated mobile home on a cheap farm in Kentucky now instead of a golf course in South Carolina. But it's cost us a 10th of what it did to live where we used to live. We hope to not have to ever use the credit cards again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: May 15, 2020

Went thru Cambridge today and the process was so easy. I'm about 25000 in debt and the payment they gave me over 3 years is very decent and very affordable. I love how everything was explained to me easy to understand. You just have to follow thru with your responsibilities for the plan. I originally went with a Debt relief company and that kills your credit plus they don't start paying till about 5 to 6 months after you stop paying your credit card bills. This leaves you the chance of being sued. With places like Cambridge you're paying off all your balances with no chance of being sued. It gives you peace of mind. I recommend anyone that wants to keep their credit and get it better use Cambridge. They are very helpful.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Cambridge's reps were excellent. Any questions we had got taken care of. Any time that we paid a debt off, they were really cooperative and let us know how much we had to pay. We didn't have any hitches at all and we're really happy with them.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Cambridge was good to me so I enjoyed the program.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Cambridge helped me a lot with everything that I needed to do. We were in debt and my husband had lost his job. I was kinda iffy at the beginning to try it. But I liked what they offered and that they were willing to work with me. I just went for it and it worked out perfectly. They got it done and now I'm out of that debt that I needed to be out of. I love the company and I had recommended it before. Enrolling was very easy and fast, and we started right away. They were also very flexible. I started off with one credit card then as I went, I kept adding and I never had a problem with that. My payment was very flexible compared to all the credit cards I needed to pay off. Then everyone was very nice and helpful. I never had a complaint. Every time I called, they answered my questions. They also made me feel comfortable. I never felt embarrassed that I have so much debt.

Original review: May 10, 2020

Cambridge is good. They had good processing and I'm satisfied. I was also comfortable with my payment plan. I'm already finished with it.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor