Call toll free
Call toll free
4.88/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2110 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The service I was provided since my first phone call was excellent. They are knowledgeable and swift! I received information within 2 hours and they are working very hard to get me back on track; which I could not do on my own. I am very grateful for their services. This puts my mind at ease. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I wanted to do the credit card consolidation. My friend had gone through them and she recommended Cambridge. They were wonderful. However, when I wanted to change my payment 'cause I'm in New York, they had to send me a code and I had to call back. There were a few times where I had to call back several times and it was a little aggravating, but that was really the only issue I had with them. I'm finished with the program and it got me out of debt. I'd definitely recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had too many loans out. I was making it but there was hardly anything left afterward. I used consumer credit several years back, but when I tried calling Oklahoma City for one, they didn’t’ have it. I ended up getting Cambridge Credit's number. My enrollment with them went fine. I really enjoyed the lady that took all my stuff. She was very nice and thorough with everything. I really liked her. She answered all of my questions and always got back with me if I called and left a message to ask for something. Once she got through with me, though, I didn’t get to talk to her very much later because I talked to whoever I got if I had any questions. I like that when I call Cambridge, they get back to me as soon as they could or one of the girls that answered there would go ahead and help me.

I got good service and I’m glad I went with Cambridge. They lowered a lot of my payments. It took me a long time to get them paid off, but at least, I didn’t have to worry about not having the money to pay them because I always made sure I had the money there for Cambridge whenever they pulled out my money. If friends have problems with their bills, I’d recommend Cambridge very highly.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We had some credit card debt that we wanted to get rid of and we reached out to Cambridge. We made one payment to Cambridge and they paid the four credit card bills that we had. At first, I interacted with a credit counselor and after that, I got a call twice a year from someone. I kept up with my payments and there was no need to talk to anybody on a regular basis. Cambridge's program worked for us and I was comfortable with the amount that they provided. It was less than what we were paying every month on the other by ourselves, and because the interest was reduced, we were paying it off faster than we would have ourselves. They also contacted the companies. So, that helped. Working with Cambridge freed us up and we don't have to worry about having four payments in a month. Also, their cost was minimal compared to what they actually saved us in the long run.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We decided to seek Cambridge's service due to excess credit card balances and we were unable to make significant dent beyond the minimum payment. They allowed us to bring all of our major debt to the table, with the unsecured debt with the credit card companies. They negotiated lower interest rates on the debt in exchange for guaranteed payment through them. They requested the money from us monthly and paid the payments on time to the companies until they were paid off. During the application process, we provided our credit card company, name, account number, balance and a phone number. We had one with a really low balance and they suggested, if we felt comfortable with it, to get that one out. They said they weren't gonna be able to negotiate a lower rate for us so it won't really be a value to us if we do it.

Cambridge made sure that we were comfortable with the payment and they encouraged us to not over-extend our call on the front-end. We could always make more payments, which we did, but not to lock ourselves in it if we weren't sure we'd be able to stick to it through the whole length of the program. The reps were easy to deal with and my interaction with them was perfect for me as it was not super in your face. We had emails back and forth, updated monthly statements of what we have paid and quarterly newsletters or contacts to just remind us to check on our balances and to see how we were doing.

The program went smoothly and the way they were doing it helped pay all of the cards. I took it upon myself to make extra payments on certain cards that they got close to paying off so that I would have more going to another card. Now done with the program, it has gotten rid of the unsecured debt for us and allowed us to save any extra money that we would have been paying towards those minimum balances. I'm highly satisfied with my Cambridge experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I talked to other companies and they wanted me to default on my loans and still pay them $400 a month for so many years, and Cambridge at least got my loans down and I didn't default on anything. Cambridge was very good, except for one counselor I talked to. He said, "Just go bankrupt if you want." He was a pain in the ** because the amount of money I had to pay at first was hard on me. I wanted to call Cambridge back and tell them "Listen, I'm gonna declare bankruptcy because this guy here didn't wanna help me at all," where the first two people I talked to were really excellent. But it's all done. I'm done paying. Everything was fine, except for that guy.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We wanted to consolidate and make one monthly payment, instead of a bunch of little ones. We had dealt with Cambridge one other time and so we went back to them. They didn’t go off of anything that we had used previously and it was like we were brand new customers. So, I talked to a representative and gave them all the information for what we wanted to consolidate. They took all that information and then after they looked at everything, they told us what our payment plan was gonna be, and it went from there. The reps were very professional and they were always willing to answer any questions we had. We were satisfied with everything. We just finally finished up and have $500 extra a month now.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had gotten myself over my head with credit cards, and so Cambridge helped me out. I called and told them what was going on, and they said they could help me and they did. I sent them what they wanted, and that was about it. It was very simple. They got the credit cards paid off. Then I had two that I had never turned in, and I went ahead and turned those in and got those taken care of. And now, I’m debt-free. My experience with Cambridge was great. They helped me get out of debt. And that in fact, made a big deal. I’m very pleased with the way they handled everything and how quick they got everything paid off.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I got a couple of credit card debts and when I did a Google search, Cambridge Credit sounded like they had good plans of getting everything taken care of. The process to get set up was simple and everything was a very easy process. I had a good counselor. He let me know when a bill was settled off and he kept track of things. I like that I had an update of everything monthly. It was a good experience and it gave me the ability to lower my payments with them and at the same time to continue everything we need to work on what I have left. Cambridge is a good and reputable debt relief company to use for consolidation and they will help you along the way to make sure that everything that you thought to take care of is taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was drowning in debt. Cambridge was the first one I called and that’s what I went with. They contacted me immediately after I contacted them. Working with them has gotten me out of financial situations. I’m complete with the process now and no more debt.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling’s program was absolutely wonderful. They were very organized, walked me through the whole process step by step. They did everything they said they were going to do, and worked with me, and I was able to get everything paid off early. I started in September of 2015 and I finished in December of 2018. I was scheduled to be completed in 2019, but I finished 10 months early.

When I first signed up, a nice gentleman worked with me to get all the paperwork done. Then every month, I would receive through email the statements so I could keep track of exactly where I was. I was encouraged to watch the credit card side to make sure everything was getting paid properly. Then, the few times I had to call with questions, they were answered promptly. It couldn’t have gone better. It has given me a little bit more confidence. And the recommendations they made for my budget were thought-provoking and very good. I'm very grateful and I've told many family members and friends about it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was $40,000 in credit card debt and drowning fast, I couldn’t pay the bills on time and paying the minimum was a joke. Cambridge came to the rescue, if it wasn’t for them I’d be paying those bills until I was dead!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I got into a point where I couldn't pay minimum on credit cards to survive. I got Cambridge through my Employee Assistance Program, and they were the first one that I came across that I liked. It was easy to enroll with them and the program worked for me by paying off the debt as opposed to just paying the minimum. The monthly fee was very doable especially being as far in debt as I was. It was great working with Cambridge. It eased that burden of pain of that large amount of debt. They were able to deliver what they promised, and I have finished paying everything off.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had credit card debts that I wanted to erase. I did a Google search and looked at the reviews and I ended up acquiring the services of Cambridge Credit Counseling. Enrolling for it was rather easy. The program enabled me to pay off all the debt and it took me four years. Once you got involved with them, it was just an automated debit amount that was taken from my account every month for the duration of the program. The only time I had to deal with anyone there was when I had to move and had to change my address, or when I came close to paying the remainder of the balance. They were easy to work with and pleasant. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I gave Cambridge a shot to help me out with the credit back of a credit card. Their enrollment process worked good for me. Their counselor was very good. Everything was explained to me step-by-step - what was going on, how it’d work. Their payment plan was very good too. It met my need. Cambridge is very good and their reps have done a good job.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I've had too many bills I needed to pay on and not enough money. Cambridge was the first one that came online, so I called them. The enrollment process was easy. I completed the program November of last year and I was able to pay a lot of bills off. It helped me get out of debt. They were helpful since the beginning. My counselor from the beginning called immediately after I filled out my online application and really worked with me. Everyone that I talked to on the phone was extremely knowledgeable and helpful as well. The cost was fair too.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My husband has an alarm service and he was losing a lot of business because he was ill and I couldn’t do everything by myself. I researched a lot of places and most of the companies I called said they couldn't help me. Cambridge was the only company that really helped me ‘cause everybody else turned me down. The enrollment process was fine. It was a quick process. The credit counselor was very helpful and good. He was very knowledgeable of the company, Cambridge, and what their program entailed. Working with him was very comfortable. I really admired him because he took his time and made sure I feel comfortable with their fee. We got all the bills and the credit cards together. It took about two to three days and then we were done. We set up everything and it was good.

Once we set up everything, I never had a question. Cambridge always sends a survey every three months asking if you are still comfortable with the payments, or if you are having a problem if you can’t make the payments, or they will just ask a question about what is your status at that point, and I always answer that. I gave Cambridge the total amount that I owed and they set me up so they could just automatically withdraw the amount that I could afford. They worked with me, they did not just give me an amount. It took like five years, which I thank God I’m done. I’m relieved that I don’t have that debt hanging over me anymore. Also, I knew every month I had to have that amount, so it helped me stay on a budget.

Working Cambridge impacted my life. I’m very disciplined now. At that time, I have ten credit cards. Now, I have one for emergencies only. And mostly, now, I’ve learned too, if I don’t have the thing, I’ll wait till I get cash to pay it. I'm not putting it on credit and I learned that from Cambridge, and I’ll never get into that debt again. I would recommend them to friends.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my multiple credit card debts and get those paid off. I Googled credit counseling companies and Cambridge had the best ratings so I sought their help. Their enrollment process was easy. I called in and my interaction with their counselor went fine. Their payment plan was very good and very lenient. I ended up changing my due date and that wasn’t an issue. I’m very satisfied with the cost too. Overall, I had a good experience. Cambridge is a good company and they have friendly people who are willing to work with you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I needed help with my debts, and enrolling with Cambridge was easy. It was just time-consuming because they had to get so much information from me but the person who helped me was very kind and sweet. I was able to get rid of debt that I had for a really long time, so it has allowed me to be in a position that I wouldn’t have been in other life. I never even looked at the cost because I knew that I was able to get things paid off and they were able to get interest rates and payments down, so for me, it was totally worth it. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was at a point, financially, where I was considering bankruptcy because I acquired so much debt and felt like I was drowning. I had a hard time figuring out which path to take. Then I heard about Cambridge on the news. Some financial people and experts talking about it highly recommended Cambridge for their integrity because they weren't out there to make money and that they were in it to help people truly recover financially. So, I sat on it for months and months trying to figure out what was the best direction to take. Then I finally mustered up the courage to contact Cambridge and it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Enrolling with them was very simple and very easy. But it was tedious going through and listing all of my life creditors where all my debt was. It was like burying my head in the sand but I had to face it. And by doing that, I had to truly look at my debt and write it down on paper. Once I gave that information out, there was a lot of paperwork reading and going over things but it was necessary. I paid off my debt a year and a half early because I got a insurance settlement from my ex. I was more than halfway there when I decided to go ahead and pay off all my debts because I had some future plans that I wanted to do and part of that was to get rid of all my debt. So, paying off my Cambridge was a big deal for me and it was a priority.

During the process, I got quarterly updates from Cambridge. They'd send me emails, checking in on me, and making sure I was on target. They wanted me to keep in touch and if I was having any problems, they were always available for me. But I didn't feel like I needed any intervention at that point. I felt like I was on course and I hadn't run into any problems, so I didn't feel like I needed to reach out to them for anything.

After finishing Cambridge's program, I feel like I've been released from prison and that's how strong it affected my life. It gave me freedom and made me able to sleep at night. Also, the cost of their service was minimal compared to my debt, for what they did for me, and for the trust and the peace that I wasn't getting taken advantage of because that was my fear of turning to consolidating. I would recommend Cambridge. In fact, I have recommended them to other people who told me about problems that they have. I'm thankful that they're out there and I would tell others that they are not there to take advantage of you. They were truly there to help people recover from financial burdens. God bless them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I needed help with controlling my debt. Instead of possibly using credit cards, I had to have them shut down as a plan of action. So, I called Cambridge. I was watching the Suze Orman show and when she said that debt management program was the way to go, I googled it and Cambridge was the first one that popped up. When I enrolled, I had my information that they requested to get started and it wasn't hard. They rocked it and every time I called, they answered whatever question I needed. They also sent me emails and I was compliant with whatever I was asked or requested. They got a good thing going there.

Now I have graduated from the program and it gave me such a great feeling. But it seemed like it went by so fast and I'm amazed. I've referred them to others and they also got on the program. Cambridge was excellent and consistent. They helped me a lot and now, I'm almost debt free. I still have a couple debts that are outside of the program and it helped me with planning better because I'm now setting my goals up for the year and I'm planning that by the end of the year, I only have one more debt that I have to pay off. Then hopefully that would be taken care of next year. I'm gonna keep referring people to Cambridge and I hope that I don't have to get back into debt then they'd have to help me again. But if I ever get to a point where I need it again, I'm most definitely be going to them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I had credit card debt. I made a call to Cambridge, spoke with a gentleman, and he seemed to make me feel comfortable. I felt that he was really sincere in trying to help me and I was right. He took the time to explain to me what was going to happen, the different services that Cambridge had. The enrollment process was very easy and everything went so smoothly. The counselor was understanding and he answered questions that I had, the problems that I was having. I was impressed with the caring. I never felt like I was bothering anybody when I made a phone call if I had questions.

I was in the program for five years and Cambridge was able to talk to the creditors and consolidate and get a payment that I could handle. There was one time that I had to put my payment two days longer to be able to cover it. They were very understanding and I had no problem. I just finished the program and it has given me my life back. It has helped me realize and budget money better than I was doing. The ongoing customer support of Cambridge is fantastic and good. I’ve recommended a couple of people. Give them a call.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I wanted to get my debt in order. My fiancé at the time did business with Cambridge and he suggested I went to them. Cambridge told me that I had to make the payment monthly and on time. I was able to make the monthly payment and it was a direct deposit. The credit counselor was perfect and I had no issues. We set up the contracts and I did what I needed to do to get it done and over with. The ongoing customer support was fantastic. Any issues that I’ve had, or if I needed to see because the dates didn’t line up when money was being deposited, it was perfect. If I had a problem, they just helped. They were very efficient. Cambridge helped me get my credit under control. All my stuff is paid in full, so I don’t have to worry about any of my past creditors. I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I needed debt consolidation and Cambridge Credit Counseling seemed the easiest to work with compared to other companies. I didn’t communicate much with them, it was just whatever I owed was just deducted automatically and it took me three and a half years to complete the program. Their services helped me get out of some debt that I was in.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I bought a timeshare and I would have paid off one and then, I was talked into getting another one. I was so upset about the 35,000 that I lost and I didn't want to pay it. But the Cambridge rep made me feel comfortable, talked me through it and said that I should pay 'cause that would ruin my credit. Cambridge Credit helped me pay $5,000 down. It has been a good experience because my credit has been good. They send me a statement every month saying how much has been paid and how much I owe and they do it in a timely manner. It's helping me and I can move on. I'm happy that they counseled me and I came to an understanding. If I had to do it again, I will contact them and go through them again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Cambridge did debt consolidation and the application process was easy. I just called in. I was very impressed with the counselors in the beginning but through the process of it, I wasn’t impressed at all. And I was very discouraged amongst the closing of my completion of their program. I was getting payoff letters from all the stuff and I asked what was my payment gonna be because it wasn’t gonna be what it was scheduled at when I had three things left and I couldn’t get information of that. They said in the following week I was gonna get a call explaining this and that on the 3rd and I never got anything at what they said they were gonna do.

I would call and this one would connect me to that one. They kept telling me they were gonna do X, Y, and Z, but they didn’t. I never got a follow-up phone call about completion and final payment, nothing. It was just like I was wrapping up with them. So they didn’t really care too much. I never heard from anybody from them unless I called. And if I called with a question or concern, sometimes, it was days before they gave me an answer. They couldn’t even give me an answer. They would tell me they would send me an email.

Cambridge came up with the number that I had to pay monthly and that was what I paid monthly. I don’t know if I was necessarily on a payment plan. I don’t really know how it went. I had to pay an X amount of dollars a month and then they dispersed it to who they needed to disperse it to. They just make everything sound very good in the beginning to get you signed up and then kinda falls off throughout the course of the program. They did what I needed them to do but I hope to God I’ll never be in that position I was in again. I wouldn’t really go around recommending them.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

While we appreciate Mr. Hickman choosing Cambridge to help him resolve his debt issues (a successful effort, it should be emphasized), that puts us in the rather awkward position of correcting the mistakes he made in his post. Without going into detailed personal information, here’s a summary of Mr. Hickman’s experience with Cambridge.

Mr. Hickman’s primary concern appears to be a lack of communication and responsiveness from Cambridge as his debt management plan ran its course over a period of 31 months. In fact, we communicated with him by phone, letter and email, and each of those messages was recorded or retained. Those records indicate the following:

On 5/10/16 Cambridge called Mr. Hickman to let him know that one of his creditors required a slightly higher payment than had been originally estimated. We also sent Mr. Hickman a letter with this information.

On 5/11/16 Cambridge sent an informational email to Mr. Hickman, outlining the contents and benefits of his DMP.

On 5/16/16 and 6/15/16, Cambridge sent a series of post-counseling emails to Mr. Hickman.

On 6/26/16 Mr. Hickman called Cambridge’s Client Services Department to let us know that he was receiving calls from one of his creditors. We reviewed the information we had previously sent to Mr. Hickman, describing the increased monthly payment required by the creditor in question. Mr. Hickman said that he hadn’t received our earlier phone messages or letter, but he did agree to his creditor’s payment requirement.

On 7/6/16 Mr. Hickman called our Client Services Department, informing us that his problematic creditor had sent a letter indicating they were prepared to pursue litigation.

By the close of business on 7/7/18, Cambridge had made contact with the problem creditor and resolved the issue to the satisfaction of both parties. We called Mr. Hickman and advised him that the issue had been sorted out, describing the work we had done on his behalf.

On 7/14/16, Cambridge sent Mr. Hickman a 3rd educational post-counseling email.

On 3/2/17 Mr. Hickman called to inform us that one of his creditors had contacted him about a payment issue.

On 3/9/17 we resolved the issue with that creditor on Mr. Hickman’s behalf. He did not need to take any additional action.

Seven months later, on 10/16/17 Mr. Hickman called Cambridge and asked that we provide him with all of his account balances and creditor phone numbers. These were readily available on the statements his creditors continued to send him monthly throughout his DMP enrollment, but on 10/19/17 we emailed Mr. Hickman the balances and phone numbers he had requested.

On 4/30/18 Mr. Hickman called Cambridge requesting to know when he would complete his program. One week later, after contacting each of the creditors remaining on Mr. Hickman’s DMP, we emailed him an updated estimated repayment term.

On 8/15/18 Mr. Hickman called Cambridge to provide us with an update to his address. He also advised us that he had changed banks. A new ACH withdrawal authorization form was emailed to Mr. Hickman, so he could provide us with appropriate details.

On 9/14/18 client Mr. Hickman called Cambridge to find out if he was done with program yet. He was advised that he should be getting final payment information soon.

On 9/18/18 Mr. Hickman called Cambridge, indicating he was under the impression that his 9/18 payment was going to be his last. Cambridge’s representative advised Mr. Hickman that he still had a single account remaining on the DMP, and that he would be notified when it was time for his final payment.

On 10/4/18, a Cambridge representative called Mr. Hickman and advised him that his 10/18 payment would be his last. The precise amount of that final payment was discussed, and Cambridge sent a final payment notification to Mr. Hickman’s email address.

On 11/15/18 Cambridge mailed a completion package to Mr. Hickman.

In summary, over the course of Mr. Hickman’s 31-month enrollment, Cambridge helped coordinate payments to the 13 separate creditors he had enrolled in his debt management plan. In keeping with our contract, Cambridge worked diligently on Mr. Hickman’s behalf, securing interest rate concessions and other benefits that allowed him to save money and avoid litigation while paying down his accounts safely and responsibly. We also resolved the two minor creditor issues that arose over those 31 months.

In addition to the initial counseling sessions conducted prior to Mr. Hickman’s enrollment, we also communicated with him as detailed above, and, again, as our stored records indicate. It occasionally happens that emailed messages from our agency may be caught in a client’s junk mail file, and we suspect this may be the case with some of our correspondences with Mr. Hickman, though, from the content of some of his calls to our agency, it is certain that he accessed some of them. We want to stress that Mr. Hickman was a valued client who made his payments on time, and who benefitted from his relationship with our agency. We continue to wish him the best, both personally and financially.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I had credit card debts and Cambridge was suggested by the company I worked for at the time. I went with their debt consolidation. I had to identify each credit card and the amount due. They worked with the creditors and negotiated the interest rate so I didn't really pay less. It was just a matter of not having compounded interest. The counselors I worked with gave monthly statements so I knew what was being paid. It was a direct withdrawal from my account. And as one card was paid off, then it was applied to other cards. So, the cards got paid off quicker as more loans were paid off.

Initially, I had questions as far as how the program worked, but that was explained clearly and the program was executed as explained. It was straightforward. The payment was discussed before the plan was even set up and I needed to make sure it was doable. In the end, working with Cambridge relieved my stress as my credit card debts were paid off. They're a great organization, reputable and professional. The fact that I could trust them was the biggest thing. I recommended them to my daughter and her husband.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Cambridge is a great company to go through if people need help with their credit cards. I had a credit card debt and sought for Cambridge's services. The service they provided was to pay off the card. The Cambridge rep took all the information down and gave me a monthly amount that I could afford and worked great for me. And every month, I got a statement. Also, the cost I paid Cambridge for their service was very cheap.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Cambridge had a fella that came on once a week and talked about how we could work with getting rid of our debt. After a few times of listening to it and me getting frustrated with it, I called them. The counselor that I had initially was excellent with how he worked with us to get everything organized. He was able to help us out on how to organize all our credit. Everything was very smooth. Their communication was well done. We finished our last payment last month. It took us three years for us to get it all because we were on a tight budget. We just moved things around and cancelled a few things.

Now, we're debt-free on that particular part with credit cards. Cambridge helped us to get the stress off monthly knowing that it was being worked on. With them paying for everything by giving them a set amount and let them work it out with creditors, that was peace of mind. I'm very relieved that it's all paid off. I was very impressed and I appreciated them very much. I recommend Cambridge to a lot of people. If something ever came up where we had to do it again, I would use them again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I put all my bills together and made one payment so that it was easier on me, and Cambridge Credit Counseling took care of that for me. Every month, they sent me a statement every month and they would let me know as items took place or as we paid things off because I paid things sooner than the program was set up for. It gave me the opportunity to make a payment to them, and then any and all extra payments or money, I could apply them towards whatever card I wanted to because some of them didn’t have a lot of balances on them, like less than $1,000. When we set the program up for the single payment, I started addressing single items at a time to eliminate them from the program set up by Cambridge.

The reps were upfront with me from the beginning and told me how everything would come down. Every month, they would send me my bill and if I had any questions, I would just call them. Alex would call me every three months and made sure that everything was going smoothly, if I had any concerns or if I needed to add any, or if I had paid off any that they were unaware of. They took care of the items right off the bat. They contacted the particular creditors and I got enrolled in the program. And from that point on, it was just one easy payment. The payment plan cut my payments down tremendously. I made one payment of the premium, but I paid two, whereas I was paying on nine. It eliminated seven individual payments and it was easier to make one payment. This was truly a program that worked and fit for me.

I have paid everything off. I was supposed to be under a three or four-year program, but I took care of my stuff within a year and a half. I wanted the one payment instead of making all of the opposites because our company went to a twice a month payroll and it never failed to offset things. Cambridge was very reasonable with the cost for them to handle everything and take care of it.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg