4.83/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2174 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 12, 2019

I was living in Cape Coral, Florida. I had no job but I had lots of debt. So I talked to my Father. I told Him I needed help. I didn't know where to go to get it because I didn't have the money to take care of what I was doing. I had never heard this Cambridge advertisement before but as I was driving, I wrote the number down. I called them and this man answered. We talked and I told him what was going on. He sent me information on what they could do and what the payment would be, and it fit in with what I could do in paying it all back. It was perfect. It took me four years but the interest rates in all of the loans were so high that I was never gonna get it down.

Cambridge went in and got all my interest rates down to almost nothing, and I got it paid off. It was just like that. It was wonderful. Then when I caught myself in the situation again, I went back to Cambridge and they said, “Okay, no problem.” He didn't say, “Oh what the heck are you doing? We’re trying to get you out of debt and here you are, doing what you do.” There was nothing like that. They were wonderful. They were very personable, kind and helpful. I’ve used them three times and they're amazing. I recommend them to everybody. My nephew and his wife got into a big mess and I told them to call Cambridge. They've since split up but the wife said Cambridge was not nice enough. I don't know what the deal is but for me, they're the top of the block.

The very first credit counselor I dealt with never tried to talk down to me because I was in debt. There are a lot of circumstances out there that get you into something that you didn't think would ever get you into but you did. But that doesn't mean that it’s bad unless you robbed a bank or killed somebody. A lot of banks have this high-and-mighty attitude. But these people at Cambridge are down to earth. They’ve been very kind to me. This guy built me up. He made me feel like they could do something for me and I liked that. He spoke hope.

They took all my information as far as what cards I wanted to put on there. I had Dillard’s, a Macy’s and Kohl’s, and the interest rates on those were through the roof. I was getting to a point in my life where I didn't want debt anymore. So I just turned them in to Cambridge. When they got back with me, they said they got my Macy's down to 8%, the Dillard's down to 6% and another at 10%, which was much lesser than what they were charging. I was paying $200 a month before. But now, I’m paying $98 and I’ll have the debt paid off in about three years. In that $98, Cambridge takes their little fee, which is not that much, and I also don't have to deal with those people. I would get a statement every month for each one of those accounts and if I wanna pay extra, I can send Cambridge a check. That’s another thing too. If I wanna pay it off early, there’s not a penalty.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had too many outstanding credit cards and rather than use one and use another one until the other one gets built up a little, we wanted to get them all cancelled and pay it off. Signing up with Cambridge was okay. They took care of the dealings with the card companies and there were no difficulties there. They sent a statement each month of what was paid, how much they deducted, and how they disbursed it. However, they didn’t have anything to show what your starting balance was and that was something they could improve on. Rather than getting the statements in the mail from the card companies anyway, that could’ve saved all the extra mails and add those on to their monthly statements. They could add an extra column, like an Excel, or put the formula in there to give us those types of bills, and show us what the starting balance was, as well as the ending balance.

Towards the end of the program, we were keeping close track so we could make the last portion of the payment. For example, it was set-up to pay $100 a month, but then the last payment would be $65. We tried to call someone there and tell them to stop the payment as it was and we would pay the $65 on our own. But I got different stories on that – can, can’t do it and all that kind of stuff. Conveying with them what we were gonna do with what the last amount was was an issue. I don’t know if it was just newly-trained people or employees not familiar with what they can do. But Cambridge could keep working on educating their employees to what can be done and can’t be done because everyone was slow. One had to call and one had to make some changes. One time, I even got three different answers.

Cambridge also tried to do a lot of stuff electronically instead of having a phone call. For the younger tech-savvy people, that’s okay, but for us older folks, that’s hard. Maybe Cambridge has to think about who their customer is. Nevertheless, we paid off a bunch of our credit cards a year earlier. We got five years into the program, but we did it in only four. We never talked to the card companies themselves. We just talked with Cambridge and had them set it up on all the cards that they could. However, for some reason, there is one company that they can’t deal with, and that’s Bank of America. But Cambridge's interest rates were so low, lower than what you can get nowadays, so that really didn’t interfere. Somehow, we can hit that card on our own here.

The payment plan that we had was okay and working with Cambridge helped us get rid of those credit cards a lot quicker. Now we can use the money for paying off that other credit card, for Bank of America, and then we have a few extra bucks for us to do some things. I have problems because of Agent Orange and my legs are shot. I had to quit my job about the time we set this up, to help with the payments. But Cambridge made it easier for us. We knew what the amount would be to set up a budget to get going through every year. So, Cambridge helped us well. Perhaps they can also advertise in some ways how they can help folks if one of the members becomes disabled or have some medical problem or how they can work that through with cards that they owe on.

When Cambridge did their questioning with me at the beginning, they helped us out because I wasn’t able to work. So, that way, with a bit of disability I get, it went to pay enough of the cards. It went smoothly and we were able to take care of the necessities. Throughout the process, eventually, the amount we had to pay each month went down. So if we got a card paid off, then we could even keep that money or reapply it to the other cards, which was nice to help get the next one paid off quicker. Cambridge is a good program. You can quit if you don’t wanna do it, that kind of thing. But commit yourself to do it and follow it. They will take care of everything. They don’t charge you that much each month to do it. Basically, it’s all taken care of for you and if you just follow it, you should get a very good result out of it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was losing ground on paying off my consumer debt on my own. I needed not so much the supervision of a program, but the consolidation and lower combined payments are what I really went to get help for. Cambridge was recommended to me. On the phone, there were instructions on what I needed to provide for each of the accounts that were selected to be part of the program. I wanted to be part of the program but I couldn't be for one reason and it was explained why. They talked to me about needing to contact the creditors themselves to negotiate or to accept payments through this program and accept lower interest rates. The combination of the lower rates reduced the very painful monthly payments. But, as I recall, it was not any more painful than what I was doing on my own, for each of those. Also, it was easier to make and be accountable for in one focused place.

The automatic payment processes were made on time. It was like when you have something you wanna save for and if you have it taken directly out of your paycheck and you never see it, it's easier to succeed. That's how this was for me. I see it in my account but it's taken care of without me touching anything. The process was painful especially as the five years went on. Still, when it was finished, I was happy. My half understanding of a program like that is, somehow I get hit on your credit report for not paying the full bills. Even so, what I liked about this program was that I'm still liable for the entire balance which I created for myself. So I was glad they're able to pay it that way with a lower rate being the benefit versus a lower principal. I'm sure I would've loved the lower principal but I didn't want the negative effect of what that might have caused.

I was also being treated fairly respectfully. They have easy to understand requests and I also get some feedback when I have a follow-up question. Their transaction was good. I was happy with the service but I would have a suggestion for an enhancement for the monthly statements. Rather than just providing me with the creditor and what I paid them, I would've liked to see the creditor, what I paid them, and the remaining balance.

The cost of service was well worth it. I didn't even have a monthly fee charge. I accumulated some more debt during the program though, I will admit. From that perspective, I wasn't 100% successful. I'm a whole lot better off than what I would've been on my own at this point in time. I would tell others that if they're having any trouble making accumulated monthly payments on a number of cards, I would highly suggest going to an outfit like Cambridge. It helps because it introduces discipline that isn't optional and sometimes, the best of us need a little bit of help in that regard.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Financially I could afford paying my debts, but it was going in so many directions that I knew that I would miss one eventually so I decided to put everything together and make it a lot easier to make one payment. I looked at what Cambridge had to offer, not just that they could consolidate but they also gave financial literacy to help guide and support me on how to use my credit better and build it.

There was some paperwork during the enrollment - some phone calls and little corresponding of what I needed to have taken care of. We correspond mostly through email and it was easy. They paid off my credit cards and I learned more responsibility when it came to having, earning, building and using credit. I've completed the program in three and a half years. Their reps gave me basic updates. Mostly, everything was paperless. I made my payments or I deposited them and they withdrew them. I got statements of my credit cards on a regular, so I kinda kept up with that as well and I knew that they were going down.

If I saw that my payment was gonna be late by a couple of days, I can always call in a couple of weeks ahead of time and let them know to not pull the payment yet, which I thought was really good. They made sure I was staying on top of my monthly bills. It was a huge burden that they had taken off of me. It was a little pricey, but I think it was worth it considering the amount of service that I got. The customer service was very consistent. It was very solid and stable. I really like that I could pick up the phone any time and give them a call and just, “Hey, I just wanna get an update to see how things are going.” They weren’t always able to give me my end balance because I fluctuate at times, so I would have to wait for my monthly statements but they would let me know if there was any issues or when one would fall off like, “Okay, that one’s been paid off.” The payment was always consistent.

When one got paid off, they would pay more on the other ones.The only thing I wasn’t clear on was when my credit cards were paid off, they were also closed. I was always under the impression that when one closes, it hurts your credit. In which case, they always told me that, “Yeah, when it got paid off, it was closed." It’s a good thing because I don’t need those credit cards and I’ve learned to delegate a lot better with that. Cambridge was a great learning experience and if I ever find myself in that predicament again, which I don’t foresee because I did learn a lot through it, I would definitely use Cambridge again. I would recommend them.

Original review: July 1, 2018

A bank quit owning the account that I had and transferred banks, so I ended up not receiving anything for a couple of years, and then out of nowhere I received a giant bill. So, I was unable to take care of that all upfront. I spoke with my uncle, who had experience with a lot of financial stuff, and he recommended Cambridge to me. Cambridge offered the debt consolidation beside a couple of other things that I was paying on, so it was easy to get it all done and down into a single payment.

I reached out online and about an hour later I received a call to talk about what I wanted to do, what the situation was. And then, once they got a feel for it, they made a couple of recommendations on how I'd go about it. Once I chose an option, we went through the paperwork, the digital stuff, the explanations, and verified that. And then, they had me do the real budgets and balance analysis for them. And then, they gave their recommendation and that was what I got out of the registration.

The first couple months, I had a bi-weekly communication with their rep. They would reach out and check in to see how things are going, seeing if I was staying on budget. After that, it was once a month. They would send a document saying, "Hey, this is where you're at," and they would reach out to see how I felt I was doing with the budget we have gone over and made sure I was staying on track with that. Once there'd been a track record I was staying on, after four months I started switching to quarterly and they had reached out and kept following up to make sure things were going well and everything was working out.

My payment plan was set up in five minutes. They just gave a breakdown of what my bills were and then what my income was, and then looked over a couple of options for how long I wanna be doing it. The cost was completely worth it. I told them my stuff was about 7 and my consolidation was only a payment of roughly $140 a month and it was only a $29 service fee, but for the first payment it was $50 service fee. It worked great and I finished off all the payments two months ago.

Overall, it took two years to complete the program. They were really good about following up on the closing process. I received a packet in the mail two weeks ago congratulating me on the success of completing their program. Cambridge was really good and really understanding with any situation that was going on. They'd work with you to get the best thing that you could get for your situation. And it doesn’t even matter what time you contact them. They make sure that they work around your schedule with you. I recommended them to several friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: May 22, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling was very thorough and they seemed very nice. Everybody took care of me when I would send emails and the payment plan is very reasonable. Working with them makes me feel really good. It gives me hope for the future.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Cambridge consolidated all my credit cards into one payment. It was very easy to enroll with their program and I was able to eliminate my debt. The reps were always very nice and helpful. They were able to go the extra mile as far as emailing me any information I needed. They either would assist me by email or over the phone. It was always pleasant and helpful. They worked it out where I was able to make the payment. Cambridge helped clear up my debt. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I would recommend Cambridge. Their service was good and their payment system was a little bit easier to have. Specifically, I liked the automatic withdrawal. After I cancelled the automatic withdrawals, they didn’t take personal checks, so it was hard to send the payment because you had to get the money order. Other than that, their reps were all nice. The process took me four years and the cost was doable. Since working with them, I no longer have credit card debts.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The people at Cambridge were very nice. They responded when we called them and everything was good with the enrollment process. The rep that I worked with was friendly. I was comfortable with the process. They would send us bills by mail, which is good because we like to get mail and knowing what are bills are. I’ve completed paying all my bills with Cambridge. Their program made it easy and manageable to pay my bills.

Original review: May 5, 2019

The hardest part for me was to finally Make That Call, but I did. I am still happily reeling from the great news that this corporation has helped me to achieve. I have come so far and it was only with the help of these great folks. I can't wait for others to experience what it's like to pay off hefty credit card bills plus the interest rates that can be crippling financially. Learn what it feels like to be "out from under" the pressure of what could happen without the proper help and guided experience of the people of Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Let them help you and see for yourselves, get the help that is as close as the 1800 number, why wait, just one conversation and Boom, you can be on your way.

What has it already cost you, just think and consider the other outcome, the better outcome for yourself and your life. Reach for the phone, within minutes of instructions, that are easy to understand, you too can be free of hurtful, harassing or threatening phone calls. Let the experts of so many years of experience handle that part. The steps you need to take are few because with the call that you make, your new life of financial freedom begins. Don't waste any more time fretting, get busy, get the phone and good luck!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2019

Dennis, my counselor at Cambridge Credit, was very persuasive and he talked me into something I didn't need. So I rushed to a judgment that I didn't need to make and it was a mistake. Then I found out that I didn't need counseling, but once when I was with Cambridge, I just proceeded on and continued with their services. I was with them for three years. I only had one issue with Cambridge throughout the time I was with them. Cambridge got me to lower my payments, but they did not optimize my credit score in any way and they had three years to do it. I wrote to the credit companies myself in the last eight months and I boosted my score over 150 points on my own doing. I would have been better off not using Cambridge Credit.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

First, we would like to congratulate you for completing the payoff of your accounts through our debt management plan. That kind of relief, and our counseling, are the focus of our business. We are not now, nor have we ever been, a credit repair company.

Your program was scheduled for an approximate 38-month repayment term, and our records show that you paid off your $17,750.00 debt within just 30 payments! That is quite an accomplishment and we are so happy for you.

All Cambridge calls are recorded. Upon reviewing the calls between you and your counselor (Tim, we don't employ anyone named Dennis), we discovered that he did explain the program to you thoroughly. In the call between you and Tim in September 2016, you asked him if Cambridge is a credit repair organization and how the program would affect your credit. Tim explained that we, indeed, are NOT a credit repair agency and that your credit would potentially be affected when your creditors closed your accounts. Again, the recorded calls indicate clearly that Tim explained the program fully. Furthermore, all of the details of how your debt management plan would work, including account and budget details, were provided to you in writing before you signed your contract and before you made your first payment.

We apologize if there was any confusion, but Cambridge clearly fulfilled the obligations and responsibilities detailed in the contract that you chose to sign. We made no claim that we would be able to increase your credit score, although that frequently happens for many of our clients as they continue to make payments through our program.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was in debt and since I dealt with Cambridge Credit Counseling before, I went with them again. Initially, I spoke to one person from Freedom but they were so far-fetched and I didn't feel right with them. And the weird part was, I was trying to call Cambridge at the time but I got their number. Eventually, I googled it some more and got the appropriate number. When I called Cambridge, I spoke to a gentleman and I was impressed with the way he spoke to me. He handled it well and didn't make me feel like I was a loser in getting myself into debt. Then, I put all all my credit cards that I wanted to consolidate together and put it through. He examined it, made a decision, and we spoke about it. Then we went ahead and did the program.

They must have went through all my cards, wrote them, and they all agreed. They came up with a figure and I was good with it. All in all, Cambridge helped me get rid of my debt and this time, I've learned my lesson. I will not get myself into that again. Cambridge's service is a great thing and I recommended a girlfriend of mine to them. Her husband is in it now and I have one more person that's gonna be giving them a call to get some debts cleared out. I want people that really need to get themselves out of debt to call Cambridge. Other places try to bring down the debt to a price and you have to pay that right there and then. But that's crazy. If I could have done that, then I would have done that and I could have spoken to the card company myself. And with Cambridge, they managed to get a deal with no interest and cleared it up.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp was very helpful and I had a good experience with them. I got divorced and my business was having problems back at that time and had a lot of credit card debt. I didn’t know how I was gonna get out from under it. I found Cambridge and they were able to put a plan together for me and helped me resolve all my financial problems.

We did a good bit of one-on-one on the phone as I was getting set up as well as by email. I gave them a list of all of my outstanding obligations and provided them with budget information about what I was doing currently, budget-wise, what my assets were, and what my liabilities were at the time for them to get a good picture of what they needed to help me manage.

Once it was set up they all ran in the background which was great for me. They reached out with opportunities for me to do more credit counseling and gave me an opportunity to meet with someone on the phone and over my situation annually. But everything was going so smoothly so I didn’t feel the need for that. They have put me on a four-year program and I recently completed it. I got a call from them January this year and they said that we were done which was a huge relief.

Getting in credit card debt feels like scrambling out of a pit that I can never get out of and part of that is due to the high interest that I was paying every month. Cambridge was able to advocate for me to the credit card companies that I am on a plan. They negotiated with the credit card companies to get me hugely reduced interest rates on the promise that I would pay everything off. That made it possible for them then to manage my monthly payments to get it all resolved.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was very happy with my Cambridge experience. I wanted to get my bills paid, and they helped me. Enrollment was simple. I just called them up then they asked me a few questions. They stayed in touch with me all the time to let me see how my money was going. I talked with my rep and he let me know I was doing okay. I had a couple of times that my money was short but the bank paid, and I ended up paying them. I started on 4/15/15 and I finished up at 4/15/19. I never realized I was that close until I called to see when my next payment was due and they told me I was done. I was so happy. If I find any friends that got in the same situation I got in, or if I get into that same situation again, I would definitely use Cambridge.

Original review: April 3, 2019

We wanted to consolidate some credit card debts and have somebody to go in and negotiate rates. A colleague of mine had used Cambridge Credit Counseling in the past and I asked him about it, which was how I got the referral. He had just finished his program and talked very highly of it. We thought that Cambridge was our best option and it turned out to be great. Then, my wife and I met with an adviser at Cambridge and got the program going. They asked us to check questions like what our goals were and what we wanted to do.

Then they tailored the program for what we needed at the time and did all the legwork. They contacted the credit card companies, negotiated the lower rates and get it down to 0% to save some interest. We are done with the program and it had been great. The counselor that we met with was awesome. He didn't pressure us to do anything or force us into anything. He even made sense of all the stuff. They also had a lot of nice resources. Budgeting and trying to get a monthly budget is hard to do with five people in the house, but we tried to do the best we could. We adapted to it and cut back on some things. We were motivated to get the program done.

The payment plan was relatively easy. I was always paying on the cards and never getting anywhere because of the interest. They consolidated that into one payment. I knew what the payment was and it was consistent every month. I would totally refer Cambridge to others. I would give others the same advice as my colleague. It's gonna take a little while, but it's one payment. You know what it is and then you're done.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling helped me out a lot. Everything was easy. They took care of everything and it went fine. I like them.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had trouble finding a way to get a consolidation loan to try and pay off some of our high-interest credit cards so I reached out to Cambridge Credit Counseling. They were the ones that contacted me first so I went with them. The enrollment process was fairly quick and easy. We did it online and we were able to DocuSign things online, and I had a couple phone calls. It was very pleasant dealing with the credit counselor who was very knowledgeable and friendly. The payment plan was set up in such a way that the payment was a monthly draft taken out of my account. Then they paid the creditors themselves directly.

Cambridge was able to get lower interest rates with monthly payments and consolidate four of our credit cards. With their program, we got the four high-interest credit cards paid off within the time frame that they were supposed to be paid and at a lower interest rate. I have three kids in college, so that was very helpful. At this point, the process has been completed. Apart from that, the ongoing customer support that we receive from Cambridge is very interesting. They've sent quite a few different, helpful articles to work on our finances.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have three credit cards and I wanted to have my bills consolidated and have one credit card bill every month. It would be easier for me that my bills would be organized versus having three statements coming at me every month. So, I sought the services of Cambridge Credit Counseling and went with them six years ago. I signed up with them and everything was straightforward with the enrollment process.

Everything was great with the service and the program that Cambridge provided for me. There were different counselors when I called and it was perfect dealing with them. They explained everything thoroughly to me and answered all of my questions. For my payment plan, they automatically withdrew money from my account. I called often to see the total remaining balance and they provided that quickly. The ongoing customer support that I got was perfect too. Also, the cost was no problem. I was very comfortable in working with Cambridge and I’ve never had any problems with them ever. They were straightforward and I never thought that they were lying or manipulating.

At this point, I’m good and much better. By working with them, I was able to get out of debt. I’m out of debt now, but I didn’t have any credit cards for a while and I had to pay an amount every month no matter what. So, even if I had an emergency, there was nothing I could do and I still had to pay that. It was hard to go through the program, but I did it and that was a great accomplishment. I’m grateful that it’s over. Nevertheless, Cambridge's program is a nice way to consolidate various credit cards and it helps you to pay off your cards faster.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had some debt that I wanted to find a way to pay and not file bankruptcy. The person I talked to from Cambridge was really nice. We went over what I would pay, although that changed and it was screwed up in the beginning. There was a counselor named Dennis and I only talked to him one time. After that, every time I called, I got somebody different. I could never get a straight answer out of anybody ‘cause I tried to get phone numbers to call my creditors since I wasn't getting any kind of balance left. I did get a few numbers, but one number wasn't the right one at all. Instead of paying what I owed, Cambridge would overpay and then it was up to me to try to get the money that was overpaid. They should send their clients a balance and show what they're paying. Nonetheless, I've paid everything off and I'm completely done.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I got into credit debt and someone in my church had told me about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Enrolling with them was easy and although the payment plan, was hard, I made it. Cambridge did a good job and I am now done with the consolidation program. Working with Cambridge taught me not to give in to all these credit cards. I had a good experience with them and if I know somebody who’s getting into debt, I’ll let them know about Cambridge.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I was in debt with my credit card so I sought the services of Cambridge Credit Counseling. I already worked with them twice before and they were really good. This time, the enrollment process was good and the whole process was easy. Also, the cost was very good. As far as setting up a payment plan, they lowered my interest rate and my minimum payment rate. The program kept me in tune with what I had to pay out each month. At this point, I have paid off my credit card debt. I only had to talk with my credit counselor for a few things that I had to change. People at Cambridge were ready to help me. If I had any questions or concerns, I talked to anybody in the billing department.

Working with Cambridge made me able to pay my bills on time. I've even received very good ongoing customer service support from them. I would recommend them. They're an all-around good company and one of the best companies to work with. I would tell people to go with Cambridge's counseling services if they need these for their credit cards.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had credit card debt and Cambridge worked on what they could to get it down. I have two credit cards, and they made the payment on one of them a lot easier and got a lower interest rate on that one, too. They also sent a monthly summary on my email and I didn't have any trouble getting a hold of them when I needed to. Plus the cost that I paid was reasonable.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was searching the internet and I was praying really hard. I found Cambridge Credit Counseling over the internet as the only guys that would take me in. When I first called in, the rep was like, “You oughtta do this, this, and this.” I told him that I couldn't get any of them signed up except for two. He said, “You're fine. We'll take you on.” That was basically the conversation and it was awesome. As far as the enrollment process, it took about two months. When I called in for the counselors, they were awesome. They talked to me and they gave me some great advice on what to do and how to do things, and I took all those into consideration. They treated me really well.

At first, I started having difficulties. I was tackling a car payment plus the payment, but I was able to do it and keep my finances right where I needed it to be. The educational part of the program was awesome, while the other part was how they managed all the accounts that I had and was able to reduce all that amount of money I was gonna pay out to affordable monthly one payment thing. The goal was four years, but it took about three and a half. I've completed the program and Cambridge sent the statement that I owed nothing. They are freaking amazing. If I could hug all of them, I would. They took a lot of stress off me and totally impacted my life as a whole. There would be no way I could've paid off all the debt and survive anything. They kept me away from filing bankruptcy.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The enrollment process at Cambridge was all easy. Everybody was nice, and I didn’t have any problems at all. They helped me pay off my dues, and I have completed the program.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Cambridge has some good structure, and everybody was very informative. Plus the cost of their service was standard. They took the payment out of my account and I didn’t have to write out a check and mail it. They took care of my accounts for me and now I’m done with the program.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had great credit all my life until my teenage grandson came to live with me. Even though I get $2,000 a month, which is very good money and better than most retired persons, I hadn't counted on raising a grandson. He was in his teenage years and in high school. I was totally responsible for the boy without any help and he was at a very expensive age. His dad kinda helped me at first, but as time went by, it got less and less. I had to go to court over Fingerhut and I kept paying them as long as I could. I wanted to pay off all my bills and I knew that I needed the help of lower interest to pay off all the credit cards. Cambridge seemed nice, then it worked out.

The enrollment process was easy and I thought I could pay some of my bills off faster than I did. The service was wonderful and Cambridge was always good to me. There were a few times that I had to call and tell them I couldn’t make it for a certain month and they worked with me. They were kind to me and I had no problems with it. I just got the last credit paid off, which was Capital One. I paid Montgomery Ward off at about the same time and I got $35 back from them since I paid them too much. I hope those helped my credit.

The counselor I was working with changed during some of my time with them but it was fine. There was one that I really like working with. She went out of her way to help me and I appreciated it so much. I highly respect counsellors and I didn't have a bit of trouble from them. I was having some kind of issue and I got with the little girl. She answered all my questions. The payment started out over $200 and I really struggled until I got the payments down to $87. Then, it was much easier. My grandson finally left and joined the Marines. He went on to college through the Marines and I didn't have to help with that much.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Cambridge Credit made us 100% debt-free, so I'm happy. The payment plan was high, but it was okay because we needed to get them done. When we went through a really difficult stage, we talked to them and they lowered it down a little, which was great at that time because we had to do that for reasons of during the health times. All in all, we had excellent service from them.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had used Cambridge in the past and it was a good program so I stuck with it. After the initial phone call with the credit counselor, our communication was through email and he responded quickly. They figured out the best payment plan for me and they set it up. It was something I agreed with. Their program was easy to use, and they helped me reduce my credit card debt and interest rate. They made sure that all my accounts were closed and made sure my account needed to be closed with them. I'm done with Cambridge now, and the cost of the program was a good use of the money spent for their services. Cambridge made my life better because it helped me on the road to being debt-free. I couldn't have done it without their help. Go check them out as well and see what they have to say.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My wife has some problems with credit cards, sought the help of Cambridge Credit Counseling and the enrollment wasn't difficult. One individual there was her cousin and she worked with him in the beginning. Once everything was set up, it was smooth sailing. The whole program took over three years and Cambridge made it a lot easier to deal with one bill on a month versus all these bills coming in. And because she's in a program, she wasn't able to get credit for a while so that was all great.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I called Cambridge and it sounded like they got a good deal. I could save a lot on interest. I got in their program where they got a hold of the credit card companies and presented them with a lower interest rate. And I’m all done with it.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg