2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

4.9/5 (159 ratings)
Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

About Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: July 8, 2021

Getting out of debt would have taken me forever if it wasn't for Cambridge. They were able to consolidate some of my credit cards and other debts, get my interest rates down, and pay it off a lot sooner, which helped me make my credit better. My credit score’s going up. I fluctuate between 680 and 704, depending on how much I put on my one card before it gets reported back. Before, I was at the very low 600 and when I first started, I was below that. The problem was I wasn't managing my finances and Cambridge enabled me to learn how to do that. The biggest impact it had was teaching me that I needed to follow a budget and allocate my money instead of just free-falling it.

I got an email about one of their tools, the budget tool, and I didn't use it, but I created my own Excel spreadsheet. When you're doing it on your head, that's not a budget. I have all my bills listed, and after I put it into my spreadsheet, I would see how much I would have left over and I knew not to go over that. I could see what I could spend on groceries and other things right there. It makes a real difference when you sit down, make a budget and see what you're doing with your money. I make a spreadsheet every mid-month, and I do it religiously. It has helped me get myself back on track.

Cambridge taught me the importance of managing my money. I have two paychecks a month and every so many months, it winds up being three in a month. Before, I had to spend an entire check on my rent. Now, I can split that between two, and I put away half of it with my first check and half of it with the second and third. I'm not cramped each pay day. I got room to pay my other bills, have money for myself and save some and/or put towards lowering my debt.

I've gotten rid of three other credit cards since then. Now, I have four, but I just opened one of them. It's like a Walmart card and I use that to pay bills and expenses. I use it to get the points and then I pay it off right away with the money out of my account. So far, I've had it for three months, and I've earned $50 towards paying off that credit card. I also removed my account from a no-interest bank, and I moved it over to Capital One, which I'm earning interest on my checking and on savings every month. While my money’s sitting there, it's working for me and I've been able to put savings away.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Whenever I initially talked with the members, they were willing to help me out and set me up with everything. This was all new to me and being able to have somebody walk me through the whole process and be there is what drew me to proceeding with Cambridge Credit Counseling. Enrolling was easy for me as well. It felt a lot more personal than just going to some corporate conglomerate that's says, "Okay, give us a list," and then they don't assist me through anything. Cambridge Credit Counseling asked me what expenses I had every month. I went through that with them, and we went item by item. They then came back and told me, "Okay, well, it's not going to work with this. So, what else can we do?"

I thought about my budget and pushed it further. We were able to get things worked out. Having them there again to push me and get things rolling was nice. They said to do the fifth of every month and that worked for my pay periods, so I went with it. I saw how much I was paying and how much I've paid in total on the statements every month, but it didn't provide an end balance of how much I still owed in total. I would have also enjoyed seeing how much I had left to go because if I had the ability to pay early or finish that a little bit earlier, I would have done so. Since I didn't know how much, I just kept paying the minimum.

I finally got rid of all of my outstanding debts. Being able to catch up on my finances and get my stuff back together is a big impact. Plus, the cost was perfectly acceptable. I didn't think it was outside of any insane price range and it made it easy to manage the rest of my finances. In my eyes, the value's there. The initial setup and getting the accounts rolling and getting the money distributed were most beneficial for me. There were other services available, like balancing my budget, but I recovered all of that on my own, so I didn't feel like it was necessary in my case. They also kept reaching out, checking in, and sending the emails like, "Hey, if you need any help, we're here." That constant communication and knowing that I'm not just a number in a queue somewhere was nice.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I have two special needs children, and we had an insurance issue in March three years ago. We always had two insurances (lots of therapies). One would cover the copays, and the other would cover everything else. My husband's employer changed insurance policies, and they were supposed to remain the same. However, we found out that they weren't paying the copays anymore after we had already racked up three months’ worth of copays, which was almost $3,000. With copays, you have to pay them to be able to come back and get more services. We had to use almost two months’ worth of credit card bills, while the credit card bills then were late. What happens is when you pay a credit card late, even if it's 2% or 3% interest, suddenly, it jumps up to 29.

We had to keep paying for the insurance too. We couldn't drop it because we had to have some ridiculous qualifying life event, even though they're the ones that changed it. We only had to pay for the $1,000 a month for the copays. We were also late with our credit card, so they went higher because the interest rates went up. We got stuck into a situation where we couldn't cover everything, so I went to Cambridge to try to figure out how to deal with the debt and still be able to pay these other things. They worked with the companies, got them down to the lower interest rates and worked out a plan. It went absolutely great. The cost was very much worth it too. $40 a month was not much to pay for helping us totally get on our feet again.

There was a lot of anxiety and they were very helpful. Any time that I contacted them for some kind of document that I needed for some reason, they were immediately responsive. I had everything I needed right away. The customer support was very good. I was aware of everything I needed to know, when I needed to know it. We finished out a little earlier than expected and now, we're putting away the money we were paying to hopefully purchase our house in June. We’re putting it back for a down payment.

I have recommended Cambridge Credit Counseling to folks who are in similar boats. I explain to them it's something they could do themselves, except the negotiation. They're already in a situation where they're stressed because they're dealing with something that got them there to begin with, or they've had trouble managing. If they have the ability to really handle those things and function well to begin with, they would have done it. There's no reason not to have people who can track everything for them, step in and give them the structure so they can function and focus on what they need to instead of tedious stuff that takes up their attention away from the things that they're trying to make better in life.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

As of right now, I'm very satisfied with the service that I had. There was an account that I had with Cambridge and another company. When I spoke to the original counselor that was helping me, Henry, he said that he had dealt before with home shopping clubs. When you get a bill from a company, they don't say, "By the way, we split it out to two or three different departments. And after you pay us off, then you need to go to another department and pay back the lot." Henry knew that there are sometimes different divisions and sometimes a bill is split out into two or three different divisions.

Henry also knew to ask if the $3,000 that I was getting help with incorporated all the outstanding bills or just one department of the outstanding bills and he assured me that when he asked, they said that the bill that I was paying off was the entire bill. When he was told that the $3,000 bill was paid off, I assumed that the bill was paid off, but when I tried to call HSN several months ago, they said I owed an additional $1,000 to another division. I said, "Wait a minute. I paid off 3,000. You're saying that you allowed me to charge $4,000 before I was the one who went to the counseling service?" They didn't cut me off. I was the one that said, "Wait a minute. This is getting out of control. I need help." I went to Cambridge Credit Counseling.

I don't know where the extra $1,000 is coming from. To me, it sounds hinky, but even more than hinky, I said to Cambridge Credit Counseling, "Please check with the bank that you were dealing with at the time, because I never missed a payment." Synchrony wrote me back two letters and to make a long story short, they just said, "Yeah, you're paid off. We have nothing more outstanding on you." it was at that time Synchrony bought Comenity Bank that was HSN's, and so they assumed the bills. If I owed money still, they would've said, "No. You still owe." Between HSN not doing their due diligence and Synchrony Bank maybe not doing theirs, I cannot charge now on HSN until they get paid $1,111.

I would have thought that in 38 months, if the right hand was getting paid, the right hand didn't tell the left hand, "Hey, if you're not getting paid, go to CCC and talk to them because she is paying off her bill and you wanna make sure that this is cleared out." In the future, if anybody has a Home Shopping Network that has a bill that's owed and they are paying it off, CCC should make sure that their credit counseling agent calls that home shopping company up. They must do the digging to find out if that's the total bill. If they are told that that's the total bill, the company cannot do like what they're doing to me and say, "Oh, she owes another $1,000."

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

The other services were offering negotiation to pay off the debt and not all of it. Cambridge said, “No, you pay off the entire debt.” It would look better on my credit score to pay the whole debt instead of saying that I settled. They explained all of it to me. Then they sent me a lot of information to help me understand my credit. They provided me a counselor, someone who I could go over everything that I was giving to them for them to take over for me. They explained how they would contact them, and how much I would pay, and how important it was to make my payments every month and to stay on my payments on time. They really did a good job because when I started working with them, my credit score was 505, and now my credit score is 650.

It was a very good experience with the counselors of Cambridge. They were very informative. They encouraged me that if I have problems with something, to contact them sooner versus later. Because it makes it easier for them to get in contact with the collection or whoever the creditors are. Every single person that I took to them, they got them to work with the company and they were able to help me pay it off. Some of them were even bad situations where I got into debt with some check cash advances and they even worked with them and helped me pay all of those off. I was so grateful for that one.

They had helped me with my budget for the month as far as what I was spending. They helped me find an amount that I could agree to that will work for both me and for the creditors and for them, where I could pay back at an even time so it wasn't so much like all of my bills together. Every time that we paid something off, I said, “Okay, I want to do these.” I kept putting them on there. They made it affordable where I could stick right around the same amount every month, like 150 a month. I just gave it to them on a specific date, always made sure the money was in the bank, and they pulled it and they made sure all of my clients got it. I didn't even have to talk to the clients. The only thing I had to do was when they would send me correspondence in the mail, I would just update Cambridge and let them know. Everything balanced out the way it was supposed to.

Their service was excellent. One time in those five years, my paydays didn't match up with the 28th, because that was the day that I chose to pay my bill every month. They said, “We can move it up or we can move it back a couple of days.” Then they would set it up and it would still work out, and the creditor still would get their money and everything just worked out right.

Cambridge is awesome. They work with me so well. I love them. I've referred them to friends and family and they've called and used them. They helped them get out of some stuff too. One of my brothers was into a check-cashing thing. He had borrowed 2,500 and the balance had got up to 4,000. He worked with Cambridge and they helped him pay it off. My only wish with them is that they work with taxes. If they work with taxes, they would cover the whole scope.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

It was a simple process getting into Cambridge's program and that was one of the reasons that got me interested in it because it didn't take much for me. Also, the rep I worked with was very informative. I got an email or something every month checking up, seeing where I was in the program, how I was doing, and if I had any questions. Anytime I had a question, they were always available for me to get an answer and they did whatever I needed them to do to make it work. They didn't want to put me in a bigger bind and they worked with me as I was going through the program.

It was an easy program to be a part of. It wasn't high-risk to do it and it was organized well enough that I could keep up with what was going on. Especially at the end, I got an email about every week letting me know that I was about at the end of it and which accounts were done. It was pretty neat to have something like that. Whatever they told me the program is was exactly what it was and the cost was pretty reasonable.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I love Cambridge. They were on point with everything. They kept me updated and they made me feel very comfortable. I would refer them to everybody in the world. I just finished my consolidation and I got my certificate the other day. Cambridge took my APR's down from what they were. I appreciated that too. They really worked with me.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I've finished the program with Cambridge. It was short and sweet, and they gave me all the resources I needed. They were super easy to work with and always able to answer any questions that I had. They relieved so much stress from my life. Three years ago, I was hopeless and drowning. I was able to consolidate everything into one easy payment and now, I don’t have credit cards anymore.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I lost my husband a few years before and I was nervous about doing the debt consolidation, but the reps were extremely patient. I tried to back out a couple times, and I'd wind up going back to them. They were very understanding, and I don't remember having a bad or not good enough response or time with them. They were outstanding. I might have been fortunate and just got the great ones, but everything I got from them was fabulous.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

The guy I talked to at Cambridge explained everything to me very well and walked me through the process, which was helpful. He even went on to talk about some what-if scenarios after the fact or during the process such as its impact if we wanted to buy a house or a car. He was able to answer all of those questions well and got us comfortable with what the program was gonna entail. We felt good about the decision when we went with it at that time. It was a five-year plan and we just finished it. We had just over a little more over a year left on it when we were able to pay everything off a couple of months ago.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. author review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor