4.75/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I were listening to an AM radio at night and I always heard this guy who was a local in Cleveland. I trusted the guy because I had listened to him for a long time. He mentioned debt relief with Cambridge so many times that I decided to do it because I couldn’t do it by myself because the interest rates were getting way too high. I had $70,000 debt and I couldn't even believe I had that much to pay off. I made a mistake of letting somebody else use my credit cards so I learned a lot.

While with Cambridge, I didn’t really work with a counselor although there was a counselor named Brian back in February 2015. I talked to him when I signed up. Other than that, nobody checked on me to see how much spending was coming or what I was doing. I just knew that if I didn’t do this, I would never do it. Once in a while, I would call them like when I called to change because I couldn’t pay on such and such date my payment was due and that I would do it before the five days. I would always get so many different people. They were very nice every time I talked to them. A couple of times when I had to change my payments because I was out of work for a while, they were a little strict. They would tell me that this would change my interest rates. That worried me but they were good. All of it was a really good experience.

The cost of Cambridge was very fair. And just them helping in getting the interest rate down was very great too. Just the relief to be out of debt has impacted my life. I never thought I could get out of debt that fast for that amount of money. It came in perfect timing because I ended up having a brain aneurysm last month. I didn’t have to worry about a payment coming up. I’m since retiring now from my company that I’ve been with for 34 years and I’m able to do that because I’m not in debt anymore. I know too that I can never have a credit card ever again. I know I will never get one again because I know how quickly it is to get in debt. I won’t step in certain stores that did not lower the interest either. JCPenney was at zero percent interest. But as far as the other companies that wouldn’t go below 10 to at least 7 to help people pay off their debt, I will not honor those stores anymore.

The only thing with Cambridge is they don’t really advertise. I only heard about it on a radio talk show. I’m a flight attendant and I have a lot of friends that are in debt. When I mentioned Cambridge to my friends, they were like, “Who are they?” Cambridge is really a reputable company and I know that. But you’re leery at first because you’re afraid that you’re gonna get duped. But I just knew I had no choice because my credit cards were maxed and I had nowhere to go. Cambridge should advertise better.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Cambridge was a great group to work with. We were very happy with them. They were very helpful and easy to work with. We resolved about $55,000 worth of debt and I've recommended them to many people that I know. When I was looking for a program, a lot of my friends had gotten scammed into those, "Don't pay your bill. We'll settle it for 2 cents on the dollar," garbage. I used some of the information on the site of the National Federation of Credit Counselors. I used some of Dave Ramsey's and Clark Howard's information about how to pick good programs to work with. That's how I ended up zeroing in on Cambridge.

The recession had destroyed by husband's business and we had to sell our house that we loved. But we didn't get any of the money we should have had from the equity we had. We lost about 50% of the value of the house so it was a very tough period for us. Before the recession hit, my dad died and my mom went blind and had to move in with us. We had to fix their house up and sell it. We put all of that on the credit card. Before we fixed the house up, the realtor told us what their' house would be worth. But by the end of the year when we finished fixing it up, it was worth half of that. So there was no money to pay us for what we had laid out for them and my mom has needed all of it.

We ended up with this huge amount of credit debt. It was $65,000 worth. It was about $1,900 a month that we were paying on our own and the interest rates were over 20%. Some of them were 25%. It was horrible. I knew we owed these people the money but it was the interest that was killing us. Trying to keep up with it was just insane. Some of them Cambridge got down to 0%. Some of them they got down to 2 or 3%. We were looking at trying to pay it off on our own but it probably would have been 20 years if we've been able to do it.

Cambridge was a big help. The jobs that we ended up finding were only about half of what we had been making before but Cambridge has a financial hardship program, where they reduced the monthly fee for us in half which was very helpful. So it's normally $70 a month to do it through them but on the financial program, they got us paying $35 a month. We finished the program a couple of months ago and my husband is gonna be retiring next year. I have to keep working and we'll have to be careful. But at least he won't have to have to keep working. We also got rid of the mortgage. We live in a dusty, renovated mobile home on a cheap farm in Kentucky now instead of a golf course in South Carolina. But it's cost us a 10th of what it did to live where we used to live. We hope to not have to ever use the credit cards again.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was living in Cape Coral, Florida. I had no job but I had lots of debt. So I talked to my Father. I told Him I needed help. I didn't know where to go to get it because I didn't have the money to take care of what I was doing. I had never heard this Cambridge advertisement before but as I was driving, I wrote the number down. I called them and this man answered. We talked and I told him what was going on. He sent me information on what they could do and what the payment would be, and it fit in with what I could do in paying it all back. It was perfect. It took me four years but the interest rates in all of the loans were so high that I was never gonna get it down.

Cambridge went in and got all my interest rates down to almost nothing, and I got it paid off. It was just like that. It was wonderful. Then when I caught myself in the situation again, I went back to Cambridge and they said, “Okay, no problem.” He didn't say, “Oh what the heck are you doing? We’re trying to get you out of debt and here you are, doing what you do.” There was nothing like that. They were wonderful. They were very personable, kind and helpful. I’ve used them three times and they're amazing. I recommend them to everybody. My nephew and his wife got into a big mess and I told them to call Cambridge. They've since split up but the wife said Cambridge was not nice enough. I don't know what the deal is but for me, they're the top of the block.

The very first credit counselor I dealt with never tried to talk down to me because I was in debt. There are a lot of circumstances out there that get you into something that you didn't think would ever get you into but you did. But that doesn't mean that it’s bad unless you robbed a bank or killed somebody. A lot of banks have this high-and-mighty attitude. But these people at Cambridge are down to earth. They’ve been very kind to me. This guy built me up. He made me feel like they could do something for me and I liked that. He spoke hope.

They took all my information as far as what cards I wanted to put on there. I had Dillard’s, a Macy’s and Kohl’s, and the interest rates on those were through the roof. I was getting to a point in my life where I didn't want debt anymore. So I just turned them in to Cambridge. When they got back with me, they said they got my Macy's down to 8%, the Dillard's down to 6% and another at 10%, which was much lesser than what they were charging. I was paying $200 a month before. But now, I’m paying $98 and I’ll have the debt paid off in about three years. In that $98, Cambridge takes their little fee, which is not that much, and I also don't have to deal with those people. I would get a statement every month for each one of those accounts and if I wanna pay extra, I can send Cambridge a check. That’s another thing too. If I wanna pay it off early, there’s not a penalty.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We had too many outstanding credit cards and rather than use one and use another one until the other one gets built up a little, we wanted to get them all cancelled and pay it off. Signing up with Cambridge was okay. They took care of the dealings with the card companies and there were no difficulties there. They sent a statement each month of what was paid, how much they deducted, and how they disbursed it. However, they didn’t have anything to show what your starting balance was and that was something they could improve on. Rather than getting the statements in the mail from the card companies anyway, that could’ve saved all the extra mails and add those on to their monthly statements. They could add an extra column, like an Excel, or put the formula in there to give us those types of bills, and show us what the starting balance was, as well as the ending balance.

Towards the end of the program, we were keeping close track so we could make the last portion of the payment. For example, it was set-up to pay $100 a month, but then the last payment would be $65. We tried to call someone there and tell them to stop the payment as it was and we would pay the $65 on our own. But I got different stories on that – can, can’t do it and all that kind of stuff. Conveying with them what we were gonna do with what the last amount was was an issue. I don’t know if it was just newly-trained people or employees not familiar with what they can do. But Cambridge could keep working on educating their employees to what can be done and can’t be done because everyone was slow. One had to call and one had to make some changes. One time, I even got three different answers.

Cambridge also tried to do a lot of stuff electronically instead of having a phone call. For the younger tech-savvy people, that’s okay, but for us older folks, that’s hard. Maybe Cambridge has to think about who their customer is. Nevertheless, we paid off a bunch of our credit cards a year earlier. We got five years into the program, but we did it in only four. We never talked to the card companies themselves. We just talked with Cambridge and had them set it up on all the cards that they could. However, for some reason, there is one company that they can’t deal with, and that’s Bank of America. But Cambridge's interest rates were so low, lower than what you can get nowadays, so that really didn’t interfere. Somehow, we can hit that card on our own here.

The payment plan that we had was okay and working with Cambridge helped us get rid of those credit cards a lot quicker. Now we can use the money for paying off that other credit card, for Bank of America, and then we have a few extra bucks for us to do some things. I have problems because of Agent Orange and my legs are shot. I had to quit my job about the time we set this up, to help with the payments. But Cambridge made it easier for us. We knew what the amount would be to set up a budget to get going through every year. So, Cambridge helped us well. Perhaps they can also advertise in some ways how they can help folks if one of the members becomes disabled or have some medical problem or how they can work that through with cards that they owe on.

When Cambridge did their questioning with me at the beginning, they helped us out because I wasn’t able to work. So, that way, with a bit of disability I get, it went to pay enough of the cards. It went smoothly and we were able to take care of the necessities. Throughout the process, eventually, the amount we had to pay each month went down. So if we got a card paid off, then we could even keep that money or reapply it to the other cards, which was nice to help get the next one paid off quicker. Cambridge is a good program. You can quit if you don’t wanna do it, that kind of thing. But commit yourself to do it and follow it. They will take care of everything. They don’t charge you that much each month to do it. Basically, it’s all taken care of for you and if you just follow it, you should get a very good result out of it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was at a point, financially, where I was considering bankruptcy because I acquired so much debt and felt like I was drowning. I had a hard time figuring out which path to take. Then I heard about Cambridge on the news. Some financial people and experts talking about it highly recommended Cambridge for their integrity because they weren't out there to make money and that they were in it to help people truly recover financially. So, I sat on it for months and months trying to figure out what was the best direction to take. Then I finally mustered up the courage to contact Cambridge and it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Enrolling with them was very simple and very easy. But it was tedious going through and listing all of my life creditors where all my debt was. It was like burying my head in the sand but I had to face it. And by doing that, I had to truly look at my debt and write it down on paper. Once I gave that information out, there was a lot of paperwork reading and going over things but it was necessary. I paid off my debt a year and a half early because I got an insurance settlement from my ex. I was more than halfway there when I decided to go ahead and pay off all my debts because I had some future plans that I wanted to do and part of that was to get rid of all my debt. So, paying off my Cambridge was a big deal for me and it was a priority.

During the process, I got quarterly updates from Cambridge. They'd send me emails, checking in on me, and making sure I was on target. They wanted me to keep in touch and if I was having any problems, they were always available for me. But I didn't feel like I needed any intervention at that point. I felt like I was on course and I hadn't run into any problems, so I didn't feel like I needed to reach out to them for anything.

After finishing Cambridge's program, I feel like I've been released from prison and that's how strong it affected my life. It gave me freedom and made me able to sleep at night. Also, the cost of their service was minimal compared to my debt, for what they did for me, and for the trust and the peace that I wasn't getting taken advantage of because that was my fear of turning to consolidating. I would recommend Cambridge. In fact, I have recommended them to other people who told me about problems that they have. I'm thankful that they're out there and I would tell others that they are not there to take advantage of you. They were truly there to help people recover from financial burdens. God bless them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I was really pleased with Cambridge. I was glad when I had paid off, and they’ve really helped. They definitely built up my credit. They were all very friendly and I really liked them. It’s just hard to get through to them when I was trying to finish paying it up. The guys were busy. And I may have just missed it, but when they started taking money out of the account, I didn’t realize every time there was a $40 fee with it. I didn’t like that they took $40 out with the fee. It’s included in the 283. But besides that, it was great. It was pretty convenient, and they did what they were going to do.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I did a little research and called several different programs, but Cambridge got back with me a little bit more. I incurred a lot of debt and upon initial contact with them, they were very responsive and followed up well with me. The customer service was great and everything was very positive. They had one number for customer service and they had another number for people who were already enrolled in the program. Sometimes I wouldn’t have my paperwork in front of me so I would Google it and call a number and then that would not be the right number but they would get back with me, so it was just a matter of me probably getting to the right number at that point.

I got monthly statements which told me what had been dispersed, when and to whom. If I had a question about anything, I would get an email and a phone call back. Towards the end, I was trying to get my balance in order so that I can get my sons in order to pay, and that took a little bit of time but I understand that Cambridge wanted to make sure the balance was as accurate as it could be for me.

Looking back on it, I’m grateful that I could pull off the payment plan. I wasn’t sure that I could at the time, but I did. Given how much I was paying in credit card bills just to make the minimum payment, it was probably an improvement. The difference being that it was a lump sum that came out rather than when I could make it. So, I would recommend Cambridge to anybody as opposed to bankruptcy. Paying that money every month plus the information they would send out about credit and trying to keep your credit good helps you to realize you’re not doing yourself any favors to get in debt.

I’m a real researcher, so I probably did my homework and I would suggest other people do research. The good thing about Cambridge was they were the mediator initially, particularly because there were a couple of my creditors that were nasty and tried to be overbearing. So, I appreciated them being there to handle that. The particular person that I worked with initially was wonderful. She was very kind but she was also very matter of fact. She spelled out everything for me well. Granted my circumstances were different than many because it was sort of a hardship kinda situation for me, but I would do it all over again although I never want to go there again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

A friend of a friend had used Cambridge and had good things to say, so that made me choose them. Their service was honest and straightforward. There was a lot of follow-up and their reps were hands-on. They did what they said and they didn't over promise. I was a little nervous because I heard a lot of bad things about similar agencies, but they were exactly what I wanted them to be. If I ever had to call in, I always talked to the same person. Usually I had to leave a message and they'd call me back within 24 hours. I would've liked my payment to be lower, but they did the best they could. Our relationship with Cambridge is over now. They fixed everything for me and they were really great. Having worked with them will make things easier in the future and down the road if I’m ready to buy a house and make a big difference.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Everything was well with the enrollment process. I was satisfied with Cambridge. The service was very good. It worked for me. Sometimes, the bill might get still overflowing. But I just have to stick with what I do. The guy who was working with me was good, and I would speak with him when I was late a couple of times with my payments. Everything went well with me and Cambridge.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I called one credit counseling company and they said that they couldn’t take me but they recommended Cambridge. The enrollment process was easy and the program worked for me by helping me get our credit cards paid off. They worked out a plan with the credit card company and told me how much I would pay a month. I wanted it to be less, but I wouldn’t have got it paid off as quickly, so I was fine with it. Also, I didn’t need a counselor that much but when I did, they were there and were fine. It was helpful and they were very professional. My experience was good and you should give them a try too.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg