Call toll free
4.91/5
Based on 370 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1926 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

Cambridge saved me from a lot of money. I was paying over $3,000 a month and I couldn’t find anybody to help me. I tried to borrow money to pay but I didn’t like the interest and companies wouldn’t loan me money because I owed too much. I saw Cambridge on TV and called them, then they helped me right away. They figured out everything and told me my payment was gonna be $600. I was shocked. I agreed to it and Dave was the one who enrolled me and got me in there. I felt very comfortable working with him because if I needed to ask any question, I could call him.

Cambridge worked with me on my payment plan and they were pretty good about it. They would take out the payment and and explained to me that there were some statements that would have the late charge so, if I could pay that they wouldn’t grow some more. I did some of the payments which were about $5 or $7. Sometimes I was overdrawn at the bank, so I had to get an extra job because I didn't have enough money to go around. My daughter was figuring out my payments for me and whatever little money I had left, so I was doing okay. With Cambridge's help, at least I had a little bit of money left. Before I entered their program, I used all my money to pay all of my bills and there was no money left.

I was happy with Cambridge and I've been telling everybody about it. Working with them gave me a little freedom of not worrying so much because I was stressed out and worrying too much about my money. Since my husband passed away I only had one income, so when Cambridge started helping me out it was some relief to me because I had time to take a day off and go do whatever I wanted to do.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 19, 2018

My wife had been out of work for two and a half years and we were living on credit cards. She went back to work and we didn't see any end to the credit card problems so we reached out to Cambridge Credit Counseling which has a lot of good reviews. The interaction with the counselor was good, he was very helpful and we felt very comfortable working with him. I felt kind of bad about being in such debt but he eased my mind on that and said I wasn't a lone ranger. Also, when I had questions, he got right back with me. Working with Cambridge has impacted our life immensely. The program got us out of credit card debt. We're done and we just paid them off. We could not have done this without them and people should go with them. If you are in credit card debt, it's the only way you can get out of it unless you wanna pay forever.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I wanted to get rid of the balances on some of my credit cards so I had Cambridge Credit Counselling consolidate them. The overall enrollment process was good and the payment plan fit in my budget. They came up with an amount they would withdraw out of my account every month to pay off the credit cards. And I completed the program last month. Towards the end, there was a small amount left and they allowed me to send in $38 and that would’ve paid off in one month instead of dragging another payment out this month. It was good.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Cambridge's service was offered through my company's benefits and I used their program to help me pay off some credit. Their cost in relation to the quality of their service was reasonable. The people that I've spoken with were helpful in guiding me through the whole process and I was able to complete their program.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I owe a bunch of money to several entities and had a problem getting them paid on time. My credit was horrible and I couldn’t do anything. I was getting mind boggled about the stuff I needed to pay. My father had used Cambridge Credit Counseling and he said that it was the best decision he made. He recommended them, so I got them.

Cambridge’s people called everybody and did everything for me. They got all my information and how much I owed on each debt and every collection that I had. The companies agreed that as long as Cambridge would take care of it, they’d let me do the program. I had a bunch of little debts and a big one and Cambridge put it all together to where I paid them one-time a month, which was perfect for me. I never missed a payment and in two and a half years, I had everything paid off. I just recently paid it off and my credit score went up about 120 points just doing the process and now that it’s done, my credit score is gradually going up. I’ve been able to purchase my own boat recently because my credit score is good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: July 15, 2018

I made payments on my credit cards, but they were always not on time. I was getting late charges and it was getting out of hand and it was stressing me out. Somebody told me about Cambridge, so I got in touch with them, did the enrollment over the phone and the person I spoke to was excellent. They went through my expenses and I told them that I had started paying for my own health insurance. Their counselors told me to modify my spending, but spending wasn’t the problem. It was lack of money.

They also made plenty of suggestions that I was already doing, but they were very helpful and if I needed anything from them, they were there. I also liked the lengths that they worked with the credit companies. Chase was one of the credit companies that didn’t want me to pay a certain amount a month and they wanted more. Cambridge got the credit card companies to lower the interest rate and we signed the monthly payments. They gave me a flat rate a month which would be divided among the credit card companies.

I was in their program for about three years and now, I'm debt-free. They also gave me a good education on credit cards. But I just don’t use my credit cards anymore. If I had kept on going the way I was, it would've cost me more money in the long run. Cambridge is a great company to work with. They will work with you and get you on a program that will suit your needs and what you're able to do financially from month to month.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I tried to lower the interest rates with my creditors but they wouldn't work with me. Cambridge was offered through my employment and I figured I'd pay them down faster. The counselor explained everything and that stood out to me. It was also very comfortable working with him. He sent me the paperwork then got back to me with what the amount would be each month and I was fine with it. It would be automatically withdrawn. Cambridge asked for a list of my creditors and they worked out the deals with them. They got me the lower interest rates in order to pay everybody off. The program took four years and a half, and now, I'm debt free and my credit is wonderful. It was, overall, an excellent experience.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I had some debt I got to pay off. Cambridge was affiliated with where I was working at the time through their employee service programs. Cambridge provided debt consolidation for me. I talked with the first counselor what credit cards I had and interest rates and they worked with the banks to reduce the interest rate. They took my bank account information as well and they did a separate amount and paid off the interest rate. They were helpful with any question I needed in the initial setup process. They were also upfront with everything with whatever the cost. It was one easy payment that they were paying off and they provided a monthly statement of what has been paid and it was all good. The main amount was worth it and I saved more than I paid out.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling was wonderful. They helped me pay my credit card and they worked with me monthly and got the payment from my checking account. The counselor was wonderful and I felt very comfortable working with him. He was very honest and was a good person. Everything was perfect. I will be calling Cambridge so that they can help me again because I'm in debt.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I had a couple of credit cards that I felt like I couldn’t get rid of. Their fees were starting to be as high as what I owed, and it was just overwhelming. The salesperson was very helpful in getting me setup with Cambridge Credit. I got into the program where they consolidated everything. They then came up with a fixed fee and they asked me if I would be able to do that, and that was what I paid. But when I called back one time with a question, the salesperson was really curt and not very welcoming of questions. I could tell that it was her job to sell it, and she did that. And once she did that, she was done with me.

But the program was definitely worth it and I would recommend it. My debt is clean so I'm thrilled with that. It feels really good to be out of that debt, and it also made me realize how much trouble I can get into very quickly so I'm much more savvy about credit and charging. Working with Cambridge Credit is definitely the way to go over bankruptcy. It was a lot of money but it was certainly workable.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I needed to consolidate my debt and get them paid out. With Cambridge, everything was fine, everything was done online, and it was easy and painless. I, however, had to pay for a long time, but it all worked out fine. The cost was great, and I just kept paying my bill every month. When I was indebted, it was painful. But they made it easy and I didn’t feel embarrassed. They were really cool about it. Working with them gave me less stress. I’m done paying off my debts and that is totally good.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I reached out to Cambridge to get help with some credit card debt, and I'm finished now so it worked. Everybody was pretty nice and they fixed my problems and issues quickly. Also, the cost was fair so I was okay with it.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I had debt and had a little moment where I had a lot of stuff in collection. I could have taken care of it a long time ago, but I chose to take care of other things. Cambridge Credit Counseling helped me clear up all that old stuff with debt consolidation. We set up how much I would be paying and it was monitored very well. The whole time I was on the program there was not one time where I felt that something did not look right or was not done to my specification. Even at the end, something that was paid, they sent the check back to Cambridge and disbursed it somewhere else, so it was good. If they were sending it to me then I would have spent it, so it worked out.

There were a lot of emails going on, which was also good. Every month I got my statement informing me what was going on. The rep would always tell me that if there was anything he could do for me, I could reach out. Everyone was courteous and concerned about my needs. It was consistent all the way around. I was paying about $15 in fees and a total of $94 a month. If I had done that myself, I probably would have paid myself a little bit of money, too, but it was convenient. There is a convenience fee for everything now. But, Cambridge eliminated the phone calls and letters that came from the creditors. I have completed the program now and it is nice to see that once I paid, I could take that money and invest it somewhere else.

Overall, I was very satisfied with my experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling and if I ever find myself in that situation again, I will absolutely reach out sooner than later. In fact, I have recommended Cambridge to a few friends already.

Original review: July 8, 2018

My credit looked like it would take forever, so I sought out better options because the minimum was high. Cambridge seemed to have their stuff together. I went with their debt consolidation program and when I was enrolling, I spoke with somebody who walked me through stuff. I was comfortable working with the people at Cambridge. They set my payment plan up and told me and ran through it with me and I okayed it. I just made the payments and they did their thing. I completed the program and getting everything paid off helped extremely well. Cambridge's fees were very minimal, and they were able to drop all my interest rates which was what was really killing me. And I was paying less than I was on all the minimums and I completed all my payments in a way less than what I would have. I'd tell my friends about my experience with Cambridge.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I had an excellent experience with Cambridge. I was having financial problems so I sought their services and I had them take my payment directly out my checking account. Cambridge helped me to better spend my money more wisely. At this point, I’m all caught up in the program.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I wanted to consolidate my credit cards and I was referred to Cambridge by my cousin. They went through the whole process with me and tried to let me accumulate some savings on the side as I'm doing the consolidation. The payment plan they came up with was good and they were really helpful. Working with Cambridge has taught me how to handle my finances better so I was able to pay my bills on time.

Original review: July 5, 2018

A friend told me about Cambridge Credit Counseling and they helped me with my credit card. The credit cards have so much interest and they charge you so much. The more you put down, it looks like your account is going down. So Cambridge helped me out. I don't know how they do it, but they got the payment down. I trusted the Cambridge counselors and I didn't have a problem. It helped me out a lot. What I was paying was too much and the way they cut it down, that helped my finance a lot.

Original review: July 4, 2018

My husband got laid off, I was the only one working and I was on a fixed income. We got behind and couldn't keep the payments up because if you were late, they would charge you that fee and they would keep going. So, we finally decided to look into credit counseling services. I called Cambridge Credit Counseling and they did a debt consolidation. They combined all my credit cards together and I made one payment each month and then they paid the credit cards. I have had other people try to do my debt consolidation but Cambridge works with you on the payments and your due date.

Other people called me but Cambridge always kept in touch with me. They were really good about that. Every time they paid my bill, they would send me an email. When I paid them off, they sent me a graduation letter on my debt. If you had a problem and you call them, they would talk to you. I learned a lot from them not to take out credit cards. My husband and I will be getting all the credit cards paid off and all we have is the Bankard now and that's it. Cambridge is a great company and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Everything worked out really well with Cambridge. When I saw their ad, they looked reasonable and practical. And I knew that they took very small fee for the service. So I didn’t have any red flag going in with them. I worked with Chris and he was really right to the point. He got me signed up really quickly. I had several cards and wanted all of these get paid on time, and Cambridge contacted all of my creditors and they started paying the bills for me. They were the communicators between me and the creditor. It gave me more time and less stress.

It's just that they don’t have new technology and don’t have an app that you can go looked at. There is no way to log on online and make changes. I definitely have to call them, which is not a big deal. I appreciate that they’re there and they called us at 5:00 or 4:30 but there was no option after 5 o’clock. So I would recommend that they add some technology that makes it a bit more user-friendly for the customer.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We were in a credit and financial stress situation and we've been working with another financial counseling place. They recommended Cambridge who could organize a monthly thing on my behalf and get some better rates on paying off the credit loans. So, I called Cambridge and set things up. The process was quite straightforward and a number was withdrawn from my checking account. We discussed things and I continued payments with Bank of America directly but we did the other credit accounts through Cambridge.

In our initial contact with Cambridge, I worked with somebody directly but since then, I just had to call a few times to follow up when accounts got closed. But everything went smoothly. There was a point in time when I worked for engineering on the services company and my rate was reduced. So, we had to defer a couple of payments and we were able to manage that quite well. Cambridge Credit was very supportive when I had an issue so I felt very good. The fee's only $15 a month and worth every penny. I would recommend people to go with Cambridge. You just need to be open and honest with everything you owe and you can come up with a complete repayment plan. Our last withdrawal was June and now, we’re finished.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We had to get some credit cards that needed to be paid off and Cambridge Credit offered us the program to reduce interest rates, so we could get it paid off. We’re through with it now because we’re all paid up. We made our last payment to them in the end of May. It’s been a long road. Working with them impacted my life positively especially having the freedom and comfort to know these bills were being paid off. It saved us quite a bit of money from trying to handle it ourselves. And whenever I needed to call and have any questions, I talk to whoever was available ‘cause they were able to look into our account.

Original review: July 1, 2018

A bank quit owning the account that I had and transferred banks, so I ended up not receiving anything for a couple of years, and then out of nowhere I received a giant bill. So, I was unable to take care of that all upfront. I spoke with my uncle, who had experience with a lot of financial stuff, and he recommended Cambridge to me. Cambridge offered the debt consolidation beside a couple of other things that I was paying on, so it was easy to get it all done and down into a single payment.

I reached out online and about an hour later I received a call to talk about what I wanted to do, what the situation was. And then, once they got a feel for it, they made a couple of recommendations on how I'd go about it. Once I chose an option, we went through the paperwork, the digital stuff, the explanations, and verified that. And then, they had me do the real budgets and balance analysis for them. And then, they gave their recommendation and that was what I got out of the registration.

The first couple months, I had a bi-weekly communication with their rep. They would reach out and check in to see how things are going, seeing if I was staying on budget. After that, it was once a month. They would send a document saying, "Hey, this is where you're at," and they would reach out to see how I felt I was doing with the budget we have gone over and made sure I was staying on track with that. Once there'd been a track record I was staying on, after four months I started switching to quarterly and they had reached out and kept following up to make sure things were going well and everything was working out.

My payment plan was set up in five minutes. They just gave a breakdown of what my bills are and then what my income is, and then look over a couple of options for how long i wanna be doing it. The cost was completely worth it. I told them my stuff was about 7 and my consolidation was only a payment of roughly $140 a month and it was only a $29 service fee, but for the first payment it was $50 service fee. It worked great and I finished off all the payments two months ago.

Overall, it took two years to complete the program. They were really good about following up on the closing process. I received a packet in the mail two weeks ago congratulating me on the success of completing their program. Cambridge was really good and really understanding with any situation that was going on. They'd work with you to get the best thing that you could get for your situation. And it doesn’t even matter what time you contact them. They'd make sure that they work around your schedule with you. I recommended them to several friends.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I got in over my head with credit card debt so I called Cambridge. Everybody was really nice. They really helped me get through a tough spot. At first, I felt really bad, but they did make me feel good.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I've used Cambridge Credit Counseling before with success. I had credit card balances that were ridiculously high and they could negotiate a lower balance and set me up with a payment that I could handle. I added creditors to my account and they were very helpful, got it done quickly and they were a good intermediary between me and the creditors. The payments were high but that was my fault because I was close to $70,000 in debt and if I was gonna get it paid off quickly and in a reasonable amount of time, I was gonna have to make big payments and I kinda knew that going in. Working with Cambridge gave me a little bit of discipline as far as closing the accounts out but I couldn’t use those cards again nor run the cards out while I was paying them. Also, it put me on a reasonable timeframe to get out of those debts. The experience was all very positive and the counselor was very supportive.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I looked around credit counseling services and saw that Cambridge had a decent reputation. I decided to enroll and the counselor was professional and explained everything thoroughly. I felt confident that he was taking care of my issues.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I was living out of my means. Most of Cambridge Credit Counseling's ads were people-friendly and when I called them, they were very concerned and accommodating. Also, they were just good, so I went with them. The counselors I had interacted with have been very good too. Every time I made a phone call, they were right there. If they didn't pick up, they called me right back within minutes. I'm all done with the process and the cost was well worth it. Since it was just built right in, I didn't even notice it coming out.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I ended up having to retire four years before I planned to so I had bills that I still needed to pay. I went through Consumer Credit and they sent me to Cambridge who then consolidated all my credit cards and paid them off for me every month. The enrollment went fine. They knew how much I owed and told me how much I would pay a month. And they checked to make sure that I would be able to make the payment. The people that I dealt with were nice, and I had a good experience with them. All my credit cards are now paid off except for the one I used all the time. But it's not gonna be a problem paying it off now. Cambridge got me out of debt. And it was a weight off my shoulders when they told me I was done. It was supposed to take four and a half years but I had it all paid off in four years and one month. I've already told someone about Cambridge.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I was trying to get my bills paid off but I couldn't afford the payments. Cambridge offered that they would work with my creditors in getting my bills reduced. The enrollment was fairly easy. They downloaded some forms for me to look at. They also gave me the payment plan that I could easily work with and which there was not too much money coming out of my pocket to pay for my bills. I worked with several of their counselors and they gave me the answers that I wanted. They were totally professional and very comfortable to work with. Cambridge gave me the tools to reduce my debt and it worked out well 'cause now I'm starting to save again. It was totally worth it. I gave to a friend of mine their information and hopefully, she's done with them. Go with Cambridge.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was in considerable debt after a breakup and I needed credit counseling. Cambridge helped me boost my credit and make monthly payments to pay off my debts. It was a very simple process. I called them and they asked me what debt I wanted to put in, like utilities and cable bill. I had to get the information for them and they worked with me to stay in my budget and make realistic payments that I could handle.

They were very good to me. I needed to buy a car, but I didn't want it negatively affecting my credit. They walked me through that process and gave me advice on whether to wait or to go ahead. Moreover, their reps were very professional. I tell friends that if they're serious about getting their bills paid and their credit score to a better standing, Cambridge Credit Counseling is absolutely worth the money. Within the few years that I was with them, I went from a 420 credit score to a 615. I even referred a different friend to them last year.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I had too many credit cards that I couldn’t pay and I was getting behind on everything. I was really deep in debt so I called Cambridge and they counseled with me on what we were gonna do about getting all the credit cards paid off. As of today, my credit cards are all paid off. I’m free and clear of all of them. I’m thankful that I’m all paid off and that made me happy. It took me three years to complete the program as what Cambridge told me. I feel more comfortable and good now because I’m a bit lower on income right now and I don’t have the debts.

During the enrollment process, the Cambridge reps asked a few questions about me and my wife. And most of the time, they asked about the different credit cards and the debts that I have, and we sent in my financial status and different things about my finances. The process was pretty easy. I worked with very friendly and very helpful people at Cambridge. Anytime I call, they always answer properly and they take care of the situations immediately. I felt very comfortable working with them. I knew that they were gonna take care of me. Cambridge had great service and the cost was fair for the quality of their service. What they charged me to do was nothing compared to all my debts were. I’d recommend Cambridge anytime.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education to clients across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.

• Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.

• Services: Cambridge Credit Counseling offers a variety of counseling services covering topics such as credit cards, housing, reverse mortgages, foreclosures, bankruptcy and overall financial education.

• Expertise: Company counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.

• Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 organization, which means its credentials are recognized worldwide.

• Best for: clients with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg