Find a Financial Advisors partner

2. Finance
  3. Financial Advisors

4.0/5 (261 ratings)
Find a Financial Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Edward Jones

Edward Jones is a wealth management and advisory company that offers a variety of investment accounts and services. With Edward Jones, you have access to in-person financial planning with a professional advisor and some basic online account management tools. Just compare its fees and commissions to the competition to be sure you’re not overpaying.

Pros

• Access to banking features
  • Investment services
  • Personalized, in-person advice

Cons

• No brokerage account monitoring
  • Commission and trading fees

Bottom Line

Edward Jones is a wealth management company that coordinates financial, tax and legal strategies and offers a broad selection of investments. However, it charges commissions and trading and management fees.

Top Edward Jones Reviews

Verified

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations. … He is approachable …...

Verified

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is Edward Jones?

Edward Jones is a traditional wealth management company with financial advisors across the country. The company provides comprehensive investment services, including:

• Retirement accounts, such as traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Roth conversions and 401(k) rollovers
  • Education savings, such as 529 plans, custodial accounts, Coverdell education savings accounts and zero-coupon bonds
  • Investments, such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds investments, ETFs, CDs and unit investment trusts
  • Insurance products and annuities, such as life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance
  • Cash and credit accounts and services, such as money market funds, credit cards, loans, savings accounts, bill pay services and check writing

Edward Jones also offers financial planning for business owners and self-employed individuals who want to save for retirement or need assistance with cash management.

What does Edward Jones do?

Edward Jones partners clients with financial advisors who guide investment decisions and assist with formulating wealth management plans. Edward Jones works with you to develop an investment portfolio based on your individual needs, financial goals, time horizon and risk tolerance. The company selects and recommends investments based on its analysis of publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual funds by track record, debts, cash flow, credit risk, people, process and geography.

With a traditional brokerage account, you take on the role of building and managing your portfolio with expert advice from a personal financial advisor. You pay a commission fee for buying and selling certain investments.

You can also choose an advisory solutions account to allow Edward Jones to take care of day-to-day portfolio management. The program fee for the advisory solutions account includes financial advisor services; trading costs; performance reporting; the evaluation and selection of investments; and other personalized services. Edward Jones also offers a comprehensive client consultation group that works with your CPA and attorney to address your situation and align strategies.

Edward Jones fees

Edward Jones charges differently depending on what services you use:

• It charges a commission on trades up to 2.5% of the principal amount or a minimum of $50 per trade. Most trades also incur a $4.95 transaction fee.
  • Sales charges ranging from 2.25% to 5.75% apply to mutual funds, 529 plans, variable annuities and fixed-income mutual funds.
  • Its advisory solutions program fee begins at 1.35% of your total investment, but the portfolio strategy fee is 0.09%.

Edward Jones FAQ

Where is Edward Jones available?
Edward Jones is available throughout the U.S. Not all services are available in all areas, though. Visit its website to find an office location near you.
Does Edward Jones have in-person services?
Edward Jones specializes in in-person financial advising and wealth management services. Visit a local branch to meet with an Edward Jones financial advisor.
Can I sign up for Edward Jones online?
Yes, you can meet with a financial advisor via web conference or in person to sign up. Online account management tools are available too.
What kinds of investments does Edward Jones deal with?
Edward Jones deals with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, annuities, college savings, retirement accounts, ETFs, CDs, unit investment trusts and fixed-income investments. The company also handles trusts and estate planning.

Is Edward Jones good?

While Edward Jones fees are higher than those from many robo-advisors, clients enjoy the benefits of having a dedicated financial advisor working with them on the details of their investments and managing their finances with the bigger picture in mind. Banking features such as online bill pay, check writing and personal lines of credit allow you to manage finances conveniently. For customers who want a personalized, in-person approach to wealth management, Edward Jones offers one-on-one financial advising at its local branches.

Edward Jones Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I've read mixed reviews regarding Edward Jones. What I've gleaned from them is the service can vary greatly from one location/advisor to another. My advisor does a stellar job in looking out for my best interest. His office manager does a fantastic job as well. In regards to the "Guided Solutions" accounts- I have one that is, one that isn't. The jury is still out on whether the Guided Solutions account out-performs the other account by enough to justify the greater fees assessed. One year out of the last three it did not appear that my count was reflecting the huge run-up in the markets. However, my account is up nearly 25% in the last 12 month period to date so feel good about that. Just a bit concerned with a correction. As with others, your account is not FDIC insured like a savings account.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I've been working with the same advisor since 2010, so one of the things I like about EJ and my situation is the stability of advisors. My guy has been very accessible, and willing to come to me or to have me come to him (or to do video during the pandemic). I feel he does have my best interests at heart, and helps me set up accounts and determine funds to participate in to maximize my benefits as I near retirement.

I have accounts that are in their Guided Solutions plan, and while those accounts are doing well it does seem expensive for their management. I have other accounts that don't incur monthly fees but are transactional. Those see less buying / selling than the managed accounts. This year I helped do income taxes for VITA, and many of my coworkers commented about the amount of buying and selling they see with many EJ account holders, so that they're hit with capital gains / losses. I've worked with my guy to manage those recently so that I don't get surprised at tax time.

Get buying tips about Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have my funds managed by Kelly ** with Edward Jones. From our first visit, she personally reviewed my assets, my goals, risk factors, and various important things before presenting her investment strategy. She listened carefully to me and my concerns. After that she was able to devise a plan to help me grow my money. Kelly and her team have been diligent in keeping me informed about the market and checking in with me to make sure I was satisfied with her performance. I receive weekly emails informing me about the market, seminars, webinars, and various informational meetings she was conducting for her clients.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

My current advisor took over from a long-time trusted local Edward Jones financial advisor. Tom ** is younger, and I'm older now (78). I can imagine that age gap being an issue for some. But I must say, Tom and his staff have made me comfortable. They frequently reach out, are very personable, and tho we don't get together in person (because of Covid), I've come to feel I know and trust them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have had dealings with Edward Jones, using 3 different financial advisors in 3 different cities, over the past 25 years. The advice I have got goes beyond my investments. My advisors have helped me make informed decisions that have had positive implications for my financial security. My advisors have also been responsive to input from me, supported my wishes not to invest in certain sectors or industries. I have struck up good personal relationships with all my advisors. Only once have I wished I had been more forceful in my desire to reduce my holdings in a particular area. This is far outweighed by the good advice I have received. I don't begrudge the fees I have paid for their service. Good value for money!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Left Edward Jones 5-6 years ago feeling the advisor then was not experienced enough. Moved my over 1/2 mill account to other institutions. This time I thought I found a good advisor. No complaints against the advisor, but everytime I ask for any in and out or account opening, maintenance, or closing fee. I was clearly told by assistant Cindy that no fee for closing the account. Account transactions did not show either, except, upon inquiring why they did not transfer $135, she afterwards tell me the transfer and closing fee which was undisclosed to me and by far highest compare to other institutions. I have consolidated many 401k and IRA account in last 2 years and maximum I had to pay sometimes was $50 by John Hancock, or Empower retirement.

$135 was outright loot from EJ that too when closing account in serious dissatisfaction of not been able to invest money in credible investment equities though the market continually growing. Lost revenue due to move of money to EJ, plus undisclosed hefty fees leave me with bitter experience about EJ. I think this will be my end of relationship with EJ forever. EJ (not advisor) must have courtesy to refund unreasonable fee for no value provided to customer.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

My Edward Jones Advisor and his staff are responsive, professional and courteous. We are kept informed in good times and in bad. I feel confident that he always has our best interests at heart. He is an experienced expert and a kind and caring individual. All questions are answered completely regardless of how inconsequential they may be. I would recommend him highly to anyone looking for professional financial advice.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations and does educational seminars. He is approachable whenever one needs to speak with him, and his assistant also is perfect! They treat me with a lot of respect even though my portfolio is very miniscule.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

We love our financial advisor through Edward Jones. He has been so awesome through everything. My husband retired in November 2019, and our financial advisor has been so helpful. I deal with anxiety and depression, and our advisor has helped me through all of it. He tells me not to worry continuously. He's been totally awesome!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

A good solid company with some very capable and knowledgeable people. Very little pressure but give many different choices for various products. Never rush you into buying but give very helpful advice. Very friendly and polite. They always get back to you as soon as possible.

Edward Jones Company Information