Find a Financial Advisors partner

Help me decide

3.9/5 (405 ratings)
Find a Financial Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Edward Jones

Edward Jones is a wealth management and advisory company that offers a variety of investment accounts and services. With Edward Jones, you have access to in-person financial planning with a professional advisor and some basic online account management tools. Just compare its fees and commissions to the competition to be sure you’re not overpaying.

Pros

• Access to banking features
  • Investment services
  • Personalized, in-person advice

Cons

• No brokerage account monitoring
  • Commission and trading fees

Bottom Line

Edward Jones is a wealth management company that coordinates financial, tax and legal strategies and offers a broad selection of investments. However, it charges commissions and trading and management fees.

Top Edward Jones Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations. … He is approachable …...

Verified

We love our financial advisor through Edward Jones. He has been so awesome through everything. My husband retired in November 2019, and our financial advisor has been so helpful. ...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is Edward Jones?

Edward Jones is a traditional wealth management company with financial advisors across the country. The company provides comprehensive investment services, including:

• Retirement accounts, such as traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Roth conversions and 401(k) rollovers
  • Education savings, such as 529 plans, custodial accounts, Coverdell education savings accounts and zero-coupon bonds
  • Investments, such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds investments, ETFs, CDs and unit investment trusts
  • Insurance products and annuities, such as life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance
  • Cash and credit accounts and services, such as money market funds, credit cards, loans, savings accounts, bill pay services and check writing

Edward Jones also offers financial planning for business owners and self-employed individuals who want to save for retirement or need assistance with cash management.

What does Edward Jones do?

Edward Jones partners clients with financial advisors who guide investment decisions and assist with formulating wealth management plans. Edward Jones works with you to develop an investment portfolio based on your individual needs, financial goals, time horizon and risk tolerance. The company selects and recommends investments based on its analysis of publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual funds by track record, debts, cash flow, credit risk, people, process and geography.

With a traditional brokerage account, you take on the role of building and managing your portfolio with expert advice from a personal financial advisor. You pay a commission fee for buying and selling certain investments.

You can also choose an advisory solutions account to allow Edward Jones to take care of day-to-day portfolio management. The program fee for the advisory solutions account includes financial advisor services; trading costs; performance reporting; the evaluation and selection of investments; and other personalized services. Edward Jones also offers a comprehensive client consultation group that works with your CPA and attorney to address your situation and align strategies.

Edward Jones fees

Edward Jones charges differently depending on what services you use:

• It charges a commission on trades up to 2.5% of the principal amount or a minimum of $50 per trade. Most trades also incur a $4.95 transaction fee.
  • Sales charges ranging from 2.25% to 5.75% apply to mutual funds, 529 plans, variable annuities and fixed-income mutual funds.
  • Its advisory solutions program fee begins at 1.35% of your total investment, but the portfolio strategy fee is 0.09%.

Edward Jones FAQ

Where is Edward Jones available?
Edward Jones is available throughout the U.S. Not all services are available in all areas, though. Visit its website to find an office location near you.
Does Edward Jones have in-person services?
Edward Jones specializes in in-person financial advising and wealth management services. Visit a local branch to meet with an Edward Jones financial advisor.
Can I sign up for Edward Jones online?
Yes, you can meet with a financial advisor via web conference or in person to sign up. Online account management tools are available too.
What kinds of investments does Edward Jones deal with?
Edward Jones deals with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, annuities, college savings, retirement accounts, ETFs, CDs, unit investment trusts and fixed-income investments. The company also handles trusts and estate planning.

Is Edward Jones good?

While Edward Jones fees are higher than those from many robo-advisors, clients enjoy the benefits of having a dedicated financial advisor working with them on the details of their investments and managing their finances with the bigger picture in mind. Banking features such as online bill pay, check writing and personal lines of credit allow you to manage finances conveniently. For customers who want a personalized, in-person approach to wealth management, Edward Jones offers one-on-one financial advising at its local branches.

Edward Jones Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

Fees, fees, fees. Never seen so many. Advisor kept claiming my gains made them worth it and took credit for those gains. No, the gains came solely from my stock choices. I was forced into mediocre American funds because they pay E. Jones to put their clients into them. I never knew this until doing my homework. Every time I asked about other funds I was told I would have to pay MORE!!! Over time it became clear that the financial advisor's advice to me was determined by how much $$$ she could make off of those choices and not what was best for me. A very sad state of affairs. I should have moved over to Schwab years ago. Now that the transfer is going through this advisor can't be bothered to give me the time of day. Schwab is SO much better. They have advisors there 24/7 and they are not commission driven. Wish I'd moved years ago.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I had my money with Edward Jones for 10 years and saw absolutely no growth. I did some research and found out that they get paid by companies to put client’s investments in their mutual funds and stocks. They also take money from the clients. This is so obviously a conflict of interest and they actually had to pay a 75 million dollar fine because of this. This is why they do not have your best interest at heart. Only theirs and the companies. I demanded that they put my money in a certain stock they and outright refused to, so I pulled all my money out. They get paid by commission only and are nothing but glorified salesman and are not required to have any financial background. Beware of investing with Edward jones because they are not required to give the best financial advise for you, only for them and the company. Everyone wise up and pull your money from them as soon as you can because it is a Ponzi scheme. Do your due diligence and research this, don’t just take my word for it like they expect you to do.

Get buying tips about Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

A few days ago I met with a financial advisor with this company, who had an office in Murfreesboro, TN. I was impressed with the meeting and I made plans to move a substantial amount of stock to the company. When I arrived home I had an email trying to get me to sign up for online services. I did what most people don't do: I read the "agreement" that became binding if I used the online service. Down about paragraph 18 there was an indemnity agreement whereby the client agreed to indemnify Edward Jones, its provider, and all of its third parties. I did not use the online service and I notified the advisor that I would not use it because of the indemnity agreement. Later the advisor sent me an email stating that Edward Jones could not help me. Beware of this company!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Edwards Jones is a big company who stole our money by freezing our account. Corporate office will not talk to us. When we called in to corporate, they just ask if we are speaking with our rep. We don't want to speak to our rep because he doesn't have the answers. To this day we have not received one letter on why our account is frozen. They continue to charge us fees on the frozen account. They basically stole our money. Now we have to hire expensive attorneys to try and get our money back. I am warning everyone not to do business with this company. All is great until it's not. Good luck!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

She has been with us for many years. Our portfolio has increased well and we are able to use some of that to pay property tax. She make all the adjustments and they have been on target. Well done. We even moved to another state and kept her service.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Our advisor got us to retirement and now is helping us enjoy our retirement. He is also making sure our grandsons will have money for college or to start a business. We did not, nor do we now have a lot of money, but it did not matter to him the amount of the initial investment. I cannot say that about all the advisors we have had.

Original review: July 15, 2021

They froze my mother's account which was being paying her medical bills due to a difference in date in which I had the POA and her diagnoses. I now have to spend $10,000 on a guardianship. I will never do business with this company again. Plus their fees are super high and you have to always go through your rep for everything. I recommend to everyone to manage their own money through Fidelity or some other firm.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Using Edward Jones has been a big disappointment. There are many fees...some of which are hidden and they have become a big irritation. They also lack any semblance of technology on their platform. There are very few portfolio tracking tools and no charting software to view historical prices. Beyond these 2 issues they make it really difficult to have any relationship with your money. They keep you at a distance and force you to go through your money manager to make even the smallest of decisions, and for which you will be billed...If you want a completely hands off approach then that might work for you, but Edward Jones money managers will not share with you their performance statistics which makes it difficult to have confidence in the decision to entrust them with your capital.

Original review: July 1, 2021

My inherited account was transferred from Idaho to Limerick, Pa. in 2011. Our Edward Jones advisor then, was Gordon P.— who was kind, professional, and knowledgeable. His secretary was Bonnie **. Gordon left Edward Jones shortly after, Bonnie went to “Edward Jones Financial School” to become an advisor. She relocated to Gilbertsville, Pa.

She was TERRIBLE! My partner, who managed my account, was experienced in accounting, auditing, etc. Bonnie was very pushy, abrasive, and wanted to infiltrate every aspect of our financial life. She wanted to know the amount of my pension, my assets, my SS, and other accounts- which is private information. Of course, I gave her the wrong figures. We are also very conservative- and Bonnie was not happy when we didn’t invest in the accounts she recommended. (Probable because of her commission—). This past December we received a notice from her, that stated she wanted to terminate our relationship with Edward Jones. Fine with us, we had been planning to cut loose anyway. We are now done with Edward Jones forever— and celebrated with a bottle of champagne. Stay away from this woman, she was a huge negative in our lives!!!

Original review: June 28, 2021

My mother passed away and had a DOA with EJ for her investments. 10 weeks to settle a simple DOA??? That was ludicrous enough.... So I call the EJ customer help line and ask "I will be closing this account, are there any funds that cannot be transferred "in-kind" to my other account?". As a matter of fact I asked TWICE to verify. "Oh no sir, these funds all look fine, shouldn't be any problem transferring these "in-kind". Lo and behold, all but two transfer. Most likely they will charge me another $95 for this Cock-Up as well. Sheer incompetence from the beginning. It's a Darn good thing I didn't transfer the other 6 figures I had pending into EJ. They would have screwed that up as well.

After reviewing my moms account, this thing was anything but "managed". Just a nest of eggs the manager was sitting on. Most of the funds being stagnant in the same investment since 2010. My advice is to stay away from Edward Jones... There is no absolutely no access to actively manage anything, and chances are the managers would sit on a transaction for 70 days anyway if you had one.

Edward Jones Company Information