Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Edward Jones Reviews

Original review: March 14, 2020

I wanted to feel them out, so I called to ask if I needed to make an appointment, thinking about what questions they might ask & how I would answer...just as I thought, pompous & arrogant. The question of how much I was able to invest was EARLY in the conversation. Now, I have quite a bit more than $1000, but I needed to know if I was dealing with human beings, before committing. How sad, as I said "up to $1000", the "person" I was speaking with, repeated "up to $1000", putting strong inflection on "up to", then said I'd be better off with Charles Schwab. My opinion: Those who worship $ & care not for the rise of their fellow man, are nothing but pure evil, being only the shell of a man themselves.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I went with them and they were told I am on a very fixed income and my investments all the money I have. Come tax time I find they bought and sold so much. Got the "financial gains" =ed 1/5th of all my money Even though I never saw that kind of money added to my account (account grew but little) it cost me thousands in taxes, which as one on very fixed income I have never had before. Ever.

I now find that because of the financial gains amount I am unable to get prescription help so cant afford some of my prescriptions, Based on my income I was eligible but the because of the "financial gains" which is considered income I am ineligible. Finding same with home repair help from state and private help groups. They have totally screwed me up and they dont seem to care. I am not allowed to tell you if they did or did not make any effort at some sort of settlement per them but can tell you that when I emailed their rep about the inability to get the financial stat/private help I need. They could not even be bothered to reply.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I requested rollover (from EdJ to my new opened 401(K) - simple act of consolidating accounts to lesser expense related one). They initiated distribution! Funds lost in tax and penalties - none due to my fault. Incompetent and irresponsible - please spare yourself the hell I am going through. Account opened and managed by Huntsville AL offices (two of them) - both incompetent; the 1st one messed up my initial transfer/account opening (due to divorce proceedings). The 2nd one the minute I said I want to roll over my $$ showed the true revengeful side and did not fulfill my rollover request. Same ignorance and irresponsiveness from the complaints@edwardjones.com - the ONLY way to file complaint. No protection as consumer so do your diligence (wish I did mine) and AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

In 2018 my FA notified me that I would have to sign up for EJ's Guided Solutions program as the "federal government" was requiring the company to convert all accounts. He did not tell me that it would cost $100 monthly to do so. And, the government had no such requirement. For approximately 10 months I paid the fees unknowingly until I reviewed my account online. I was shocked to find that the pennies I made were all erased.. and then some.. by the roughly $1,000 I lost by trusting I was not being taken advantage of. Additionally, returns over several years were meager. What a scam. Stay away from this company and their corrupt advisors who have only their self-interest at heart. I should have known. The FA lives in a trailer!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Six months after opening a 401k with my company, I switched companies to one that uses a different 401k company. I contacted EJ and was told I needed to wait until this month, this year. Diligently I began the process to get my funds transferred on the 6th of this month. My calls and emails went unanswered longer than really is acceptable. Finally!! I got a reply and was told they would send me the form in the mail. Then that took almost 2 more weeks. When it came, it was glued to the inside of the envelope, so it ripped. I called the local EJ office and got a voice mail. Because I have a job, I was unable to accept their calls when they called me back. Then they text me saying they couldn't get a hold of me. This was the same day.

The next day I called them, on my break, and was told my voice mail was full making it difficult for them to contact me. Using the syrupy sweet voice while chastising me. I didn't bother reminding her of my many emails and email address on their files (the same one they send junk mail to a few times a month). I just tried to move on to get what I needed. She then said she would email me the instructions on how to get on some EJ site to get the paperwork I needed. I followed the instructions to a "T" and was denied access. I called again. I was not calm. Some Courtney told me I needed to calm down before he would help me. I asked him why if he can see how long this interaction has been going on? Why I can't just get my damn money.

Eventually I got to Hannah again and I asked her why they couldn't just email the actual form to me?? She said some reason she couldn't but could fax it. But not until the next day. Today - I finally receive the fax and they add some other requirements from my current employer that my very experienced, very educated person in this department has NEVER been asked for before. We had already submitted all paperwork my employer is obligated to submit for a successful transfer. Every Edward Jones employee I've had interaction with has been sickening sweet while not helpful in any damn way. I don't have a lot of money in this 401K, so I'm a "nobody", but I will write reviews and shout it from the rooftops how unhelpful this company is!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

While I realize the stock market is unpredictable, my EJ advisor, Gary ** in Potsdam, NY told me I could expect a return of 6-7% annually on average. What I actually received was a return, over 26 months, starting in Nov. 2017 and ending 1-13-20 was 3.29%. This anemic return over 2 years when the stock market was soaring! Then, when I went to roll over to another broker on 12/20/19 my transfer was delayed and did not occur until I made several calls to EJ and my present adviser, until 1-13-20 which delay necessitated my paying 2 "program fees" totaling over $100, PLUS and $95 "transfer fee." All in all, Edward Jones made more money than I did over the 26 months. 3.29% over 2 years doesn't even keep up with the rise in the cost of living.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I have read all your posts about EJ and the situations that you are all in. I am in a similar boat. I have about 30k tied up in a SEP IRA and it was originally 1 account and they separated it into multiple accounts which I am furious over and just learned of. I call my EJ FA and can never seem to get him live on the phone and when I do they say hold for the long term etc same old advice. Does anyone know of a company where I can transfer my money out of EJ with minimal fees so I can get liquid to invest those funds into real estate instead? Would love to hear some feedback. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I was doing my due diligence when I was looking for a FA and I wanted to go with Edward Jones since the office in Des Plaines, Illinois was close to my house. I found that Will ** the FA was knowledgeable and trustworthy. What I found to be disturbing was his employee was not financially responsible. I quick search showed that there was a poor credit history which concerned me, greatly. Are there no background checks on the employees who will have access to your money? Do your due diligence people. Charles Schwab is where I ended up going and feel much safer with that decision.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I had an incident with a FA discussing my IRA without my permission. I complained to the FA and he forwarded it to a complaint advisor that didn't even bother to call me or offer a sincere apology. Only the Fa's side of the story. I decided not to use this advisor yet he kept calling and even told my probate lawyer that I needed to call him. Way too pushy and when I complained that he shouldn't be discussing my account with my probate lawyer he all of a sudden 'didn't recall' that conversation. The complaint advisor 'investigated' but never talked to me personally even though I left 3 messages. She gave his version of a story and didn't even address my complaint about a FA should NEVER discuss an account without consent of a client. I'm glad I didn't use this company for investments.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

In May 2015 I opened two accounts with a office of Edward Jones in Tarpon Springs, FL. I closed those accounts in August 2019. I trusted the financial advisor; he was in the same Rotary Club as myself. The IRA account I had with $2,500 was divided into seven (7) different funds, all with high expense ratios. The Individual account was also divided into seven(7) funds. My return was minimal. I have since found that Edward Jones practices "churning", a method of them steering money into accounts which has benefits for them.

I did research and found the Florida Education Practices Commission permanently revoked the teaching certificate of the financial advisor for misconduct (sexual) with a female student in 2008, just before Edward Jones hired him. I was not given this information, and if I had known of his past, I would not have done business with Edward Jones. I have sent complaints to Edward Jones via email. The last one I sent was returned to me as not deliverable. I have also been blocked from accessing my account information online. I am continuing my to get answers from Edward Jones.

Edward Jones expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Edward Jones, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the largest financial services firms in the country. With 11,000 offices, Edward Jones has served nearly seven million clients for over 90 years.​

• Services: The company provides a wide-range of services, including wealth management, retirement and college savings planning and investing guidance. Edward Jones representatives are competent in handling various financial planning services for individuals and business owners. Edward Jones is one of the few financial services firms dedicated to the individual investor.

• Products: The firm offers clients access to a wide range of investment and money management products including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, insurance and annuity products. They also offer cash and credit solutions to their clientele.

• Investment philosophy: Edward Jones believes in a long-term approach to wealth building with regular meetings between the client and advisor. The company focuses on quality and diversified investment products and features a personalized approach.

• Educational and client resources: Assistance with statements, taxes, fraud awareness and protection are available. Edward Jones’ clients receive easy account access and management with mobile apps, online account access and bill pay.

• Best for: Clients looking for a personal financial advisor dedicated to their financial needs, the newly wealthy, those experiencing family and/or household changes, the financially unsavvy and business owners.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor