3.5/5 (98 ratings)

Find a vetted fiduciary to help with your finances

See what financial advisors are near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Edward Jones

Edward Jones is a wealth management and advisory company that offers a variety of investment accounts and services. With Edward Jones, you have access to in-person financial planning with a professional advisor and some basic online account management tools. Just compare its fees and commissions to the competition to be sure you’re not overpaying.

Pros

• Access to banking features
  • Investment services
  • Personalized, in-person advice

Cons

• No brokerage account monitoring
  • Commission and trading fees

Bottom Line

Edward Jones is a wealth management company that coordinates financial, tax and legal strategies and offers a broad selection of investments. However, it charges commissions and trading and management fees.

Top Edward Jones Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations. … He is approachable …...

Verified

We love our financial advisor through Edward Jones. He has been so awesome through everything. My husband retired in November 2019, and our financial advisor has been so helpful. ...

Find a vetted fiduciary to help with your finances

See what financial advisors are near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is Edward Jones?

Edward Jones is a traditional wealth management company with financial advisors across the country. The company provides comprehensive investment services, including:

• Retirement accounts, such as traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Roth conversions and 401(k) rollovers
  • Education savings, such as 529 plans, custodial accounts, Coverdell education savings accounts and zero-coupon bonds
  • Investments, such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds investments, ETFs, CDs and unit investment trusts
  • Insurance products and annuities, such as life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance
  • Cash and credit accounts and services, such as money market funds, credit cards, loans, savings accounts, bill pay services and check writing

Edward Jones also offers financial planning for business owners and self-employed individuals who want to save for retirement or need assistance with cash management.

What does Edward Jones do?

Edward Jones partners clients with financial advisors who guide investment decisions and assist with formulating wealth management plans. Edward Jones works with you to develop an investment portfolio based on your individual needs, financial goals, time horizon and risk tolerance. The company selects and recommends investments based on its analysis of publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual funds by track record, debts, cash flow, credit risk, people, process and geography.

With a traditional brokerage account, you take on the role of building and managing your portfolio with expert advice from a personal financial advisor. You pay a commission fee for buying and selling certain investments.

You can also choose an advisory solutions account to allow Edward Jones to take care of day-to-day portfolio management. The program fee for the advisory solutions account includes financial advisor services; trading costs; performance reporting; the evaluation and selection of investments; and other personalized services. Edward Jones also offers a comprehensive client consultation group that works with your CPA and attorney to address your situation and align strategies.

Edward Jones fees

Edward Jones charges differently depending on what services you use:

• It charges a commission on trades up to 2.5% of the principal amount or a minimum of $50 per trade. Most trades also incur a $4.95 transaction fee.
  • Sales charges ranging from 2.25% to 5.75% apply to mutual funds, 529 plans, variable annuities and fixed-income mutual funds.
  • Its advisory solutions program fee begins at 1.35% of your total investment, but the portfolio strategy fee is 0.09%.

Edward Jones FAQ

Where is Edward Jones available?

Edward Jones is available throughout the U.S. Not all services are available in all areas, though. Visit its website to find an office location near you.

Does Edward Jones have in-person services?

Edward Jones specializes in in-person financial advising and wealth management services. Visit a local branch to meet with an Edward Jones financial advisor.

Can I sign up for Edward Jones online?

Yes, you can meet with a financial advisor via web conference or in person to sign up. Online account management tools are available too.

What kinds of investments does Edward Jones deal with?

Edward Jones deals with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, annuities, college savings, retirement accounts, ETFs, CDs, unit investment trusts and fixed-income investments. The company also handles trusts and estate planning.

Is Edward Jones good?

While Edward Jones fees are higher than those from many robo-advisors, clients enjoy the benefits of having a dedicated financial advisor working with them on the details of their investments and managing their finances with the bigger picture in mind. Banking features such as online bill pay, check writing and personal lines of credit allow you to manage finances conveniently. For customers who want a personalized, in-person approach to wealth management, Edward Jones offers one-on-one financial advising at its local branches.

Edward Jones Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Although I'm conservative I decided to move my 401k to Edward Jones to keep up with inflation. I stated my retirement plans were 2 to 3 years out. I was convinced to get out of my comfort zone to reach a higher goal. After 6 months I had lost 6% of my money so I called stating my concern. Bear with me was the reply but 3 months later I was down 24%. The market will return but not in the time frame I layer out when I invested my money there, so worse decision in my future planning in over 10 years. Investment do grow over time but my plan wasn't listened to and it cost me dearly. Don't use this company is my best advice, but if you invest do it long term because yes the market does come back. But when everyone sees the market going down your money should be protected especially if you plan to retire soon.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Avoid this firm at all costs. They will charge you fees when they buy your investments, charge you monthly fees to do absolutely nothing and will then charge you termination fees when you leave. Their advisors request you to make an appointment just to talk to them and their general Client Relations phone number will keep you on hold for up to 30 minutes or more! Horrible service and very high fees - there is NO reason to use this firm!

Get buying tips about Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2022

My parents did business with Edward Jones for over 20 years before their death in the 1990s. Edward Jones at that time was a consumer oriented, locally managed, franchise based company. Consequently, when the opportunity arose, I also chose Edward Jones to oversee and manage part of my investment portfolio. I do business with Fidelity, Schwab, and Merrill Lynch as well. Of all of these brokerage houses, I can say that Edward Jones is the least consumer friendly, has the poorest website and Internet services, and the most expensive fees of any of the investment companies. If you want a brokerage house that charges extraordinary fees, in my case $400-600 for a stable, non-traded stock portfolio, to warehouse your stock portfolio, and a poorly designed website that makes determining your profits and losses an exercise of futility, then I would recommend Edward Jones.

When I requested that my fees be reimbursed to me, the current advisor that was assigned to my case responded, “I will refer the matter to the home office.” At the time, six months into the 2022 year, during which no significant trades were carried out and Edward Jones were functioning strictly as a warehouse for my stock portfolio, I was being charged $400-$600 a month. After a series of frustrating conversations with the advisor, I decided to terminate my relationship and move my stock portfolio to Schwab, where I could have better self-management control of my portfolio. The website is poorly designed and does not allow you to identify quickly changes in stock valuation. Even if the fee relationship had been reconciled, the poorly designed online website justified the change. Unfortunately, Edward Jones has failed to keep up with the times.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Great pep talk, nothing really fiduciary letter from advisor, poor performance for a year period, and having my own brokerage account with the same amount to check performance, stayed in green, meantime Edward Jones lost money, their fees structure helped, no doubt as well. Stay away!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

I've been dealing with Edward Jones for about 10 years and so zero growth! Only losses and bad advice. I recently sold my house and gave them my life savings. They forced me into the bond market assuring me it's the safest market. 8 months later I lost 20 percent of my life savings, all I got was assurance that it will rebound. I have no faith in these people. I will be transferring my other account next week. There are so many other options out there, do your research and stay away from this Ponzi scam.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Edward Jones advisors are as bad as advisors as I have had. They are phony pretending to be your friend and developing a relationship and all the while taking your money from savings only to be lost since all they want is to pad their pocket. Using this line " You don't make money having your money in a savings account, put money into mutual funds and you'll make more money with their stupid percentages they throw out to you. Beware of this line of crap and use your own common sense and don't fall for their lines all they are salesman. The worst kind of salesmen taking your money. Remember no one cares more about your money than yourself. I am very very sorry I got involved with Edward Jones and hopefully I'll make money back from mutual funds that are losers now and then I am totally out of Edward Jones. I am a millionaire and I didn't get my wealth by being stupid. Don't get involved with Edward Jones.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Ian has been handling our financial planning for over 15 years and has been a great asset to our family in advising us on everything we needed to plan for our children's college savings, planning our for our short term financial needs as well as the long term. He has given us excellent advise over the years and we have seen great gains when the economy boomed and he also sheltered our investments very well when the economy suffered. I cannot express our gratitude to Ian for all that he has done for our family over the year. He is an excellent advisor and gives great advise for whatever your short or long term goals. He is personable, down to earth and explains the markets in a way that is easy to understand. You will be very happy with the services from him as well as his excellent staff.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

Fees, fees, fees. Never seen so many. Advisor kept claiming my gains made them worth it and took credit for those gains. No, the gains came solely from my stock choices. I was forced into mediocre American funds because they pay E. Jones to put their clients into them. I never knew this until doing my homework. Every time I asked about other funds I was told I would have to pay MORE!!! Over time it became clear that the financial advisor's advice to me was determined by how much $$$ she could make off of those choices and not what was best for me. A very sad state of affairs. I should have moved over to Schwab years ago. Now that the transfer is going through this advisor can't be bothered to give me the time of day. Schwab is SO much better. They have advisors there 24/7 and they are not commission driven. Wish I'd moved years ago.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I had my money with Edward Jones for 10 years and saw absolutely no growth. I did some research and found out that they get paid by companies to put client’s investments in their mutual funds and stocks. They also take money from the clients. This is so obviously a conflict of interest and they actually had to pay a 75 million dollar fine because of this. This is why they do not have your best interest at heart. Only theirs and the companies. I demanded that they put my money in a certain stock they and outright refused to, so I pulled all my money out. They get paid by commission only and are nothing but glorified salesman and are not required to have any financial background. Beware of investing with Edward jones because they are not required to give the best financial advise for you, only for them and the company. Everyone wise up and pull your money from them as soon as you can because it is a Ponzi scheme. Do your due diligence and research this, don’t just take my word for it like they expect you to do.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

A few days ago I met with a financial advisor with this company, who had an office in Murfreesboro, TN. I was impressed with the meeting and I made plans to move a substantial amount of stock to the company. When I arrived home I had an email trying to get me to sign up for online services. I did what most people don't do: I read the "agreement" that became binding if I used the online service. Down about paragraph 18 there was an indemnity agreement whereby the client agreed to indemnify Edward Jones, its provider, and all of its third parties. I did not use the online service and I notified the advisor that I would not use it because of the indemnity agreement. Later the advisor sent me an email stating that Edward Jones could not help me. Beware of this company!!

Edward Jones Company Information