3.8/5 (299 ratings)
Find a Financial Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Edward Jones

Edward Jones is a wealth management and advisory company that offers a variety of investment accounts and services. With Edward Jones, you have access to in-person financial planning with a professional advisor and some basic online account management tools. Just compare its fees and commissions to the competition to be sure you’re not overpaying.

Pros

• Access to banking features
  • Investment services
  • Personalized, in-person advice

Cons

• No brokerage account monitoring
  • Commission and trading fees

Bottom Line

Edward Jones is a wealth management company that coordinates financial, tax and legal strategies and offers a broad selection of investments. However, it charges commissions and trading and management fees.

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Edward Jones Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Original review: July 15, 2021

They froze my mother's account which was being paying her medical bills due to a difference in date in which I had the POA and her diagnoses. I now have to spend $10,000 on a guardianship. I will never do business with this company again. Plus their fees are super high and you have to always go through your rep for everything. I recommend to everyone to manage their own money through Fidelity or some other firm.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Using Edward Jones has been a big disappointment. There are many fees...some of which are hidden and they have become a big irritation. They also lack any semblance of technology on their platform. There are very few portfolio tracking tools and no charting software to view historical prices. Beyond these 2 issues they make it really difficult to have any relationship with your money. They keep you at a distance and force you to go through your money manager to make even the smallest of decisions, and for which you will be billed...If you want a completely hands off approach then that might work for you, but Edward Jones money managers will not share with you their performance statistics which makes it difficult to have confidence in the decision to entrust them with your capital.

Original review: July 1, 2021

My inherited account was transferred from Idaho to Limerick, Pa. in 2011. Our Edward Jones advisor then, was Gordon P.— who was kind, professional, and knowledgeable. His secretary was Bonnie **. Gordon left Edward Jones shortly after, Bonnie went to “Edward Jones Financial School” to become an advisor. She relocated to Gilbertsville, Pa.

She was TERRIBLE! My partner, who managed my account, was experienced in accounting, auditing, etc. Bonnie was very pushy, abrasive, and wanted to infiltrate every aspect of our financial life. She wanted to know the amount of my pension, my assets, my SS, and other accounts- which is private information. Of course, I gave her the wrong figures. We are also very conservative- and Bonnie was not happy when we didn’t invest in the accounts she recommended. (Probable because of her commission—). This past December we received a notice from her, that stated she wanted to terminate our relationship with Edward Jones. Fine with us, we had been planning to cut loose anyway. We are now done with Edward Jones forever— and celebrated with a bottle of champagne. Stay away from this woman, she was a huge negative in our lives!!!

Original review: June 28, 2021

My mother passed away and had a DOA with EJ for her investments. 10 weeks to settle a simple DOA??? That was ludicrous enough.... So I call the EJ customer help line and ask "I will be closing this account, are there any funds that cannot be transferred "in-kind" to my other account?". As a matter of fact I asked TWICE to verify. "Oh no sir, these funds all look fine, shouldn't be any problem transferring these "in-kind". Lo and behold, all but two transfer. Most likely they will charge me another $95 for this Cock-Up as well. Sheer incompetence from the beginning. It's a Darn good thing I didn't transfer the other 6 figures I had pending into EJ. They would have screwed that up as well.

After reviewing my moms account, this thing was anything but "managed". Just a nest of eggs the manager was sitting on. Most of the funds being stagnant in the same investment since 2010. My advice is to stay away from Edward Jones... There is no absolutely no access to actively manage anything, and chances are the managers would sit on a transaction for 70 days anyway if you had one.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I've read mixed reviews regarding Edward Jones. What I've gleaned from them is the service can vary greatly from one location/advisor to another. My advisor does a stellar job in looking out for my best interest. His office manager does a fantastic job as well. In regards to the "Guided Solutions" accounts- I have one that is, one that isn't. The jury is still out on whether the Guided Solutions account out-performs the other account by enough to justify the greater fees assessed. One year out of the last three it did not appear that my count was reflecting the huge run-up in the markets. However, my account is up nearly 25% in the last 12 month period to date so feel good about that. Just a bit concerned with a correction. As with others, your account is not FDIC insured like a savings account.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Left Edward Jones 5-6 years ago feeling the advisor then was not experienced enough. Moved my over 1/2 mill account to other institutions. This time I thought I found a good advisor. No complaints against the advisor, but everytime I ask for any in and out or account opening, maintenance, or closing fee. I was clearly told by assistant Cindy that no fee for closing the account. Account transactions did not show either, except, upon inquiring why they did not transfer $135, she afterwards tell me the transfer and closing fee which was undisclosed to me and by far highest compare to other institutions. I have consolidated many 401k and IRA account in last 2 years and maximum I had to pay sometimes was $50 by John Hancock, or Empower retirement.

$135 was outright loot from EJ that too when closing account in serious dissatisfaction of not been able to invest money in credible investment equities though the market continually growing. Lost revenue due to move of money to EJ, plus undisclosed hefty fees leave me with bitter experience about EJ. I think this will be my end of relationship with EJ forever. EJ (not advisor) must have courtesy to refund unreasonable fee for no value provided to customer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I've been working with the same advisor since 2010, so one of the things I like about EJ and my situation is the stability of advisors. My guy has been very accessible, and willing to come to me or to have me come to him (or to do video during the pandemic). I feel he does have my best interests at heart, and helps me set up accounts and determine funds to participate in to maximize my benefits as I near retirement.

I have accounts that are in their Guided Solutions plan, and while those accounts are doing well it does seem expensive for their management. I have other accounts that don't incur monthly fees but are transactional. Those see less buying / selling than the managed accounts. This year I helped do income taxes for VITA, and many of my coworkers commented about the amount of buying and selling they see with many EJ account holders, so that they're hit with capital gains / losses. I've worked with my guy to manage those recently so that I don't get surprised at tax time.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I have my funds managed by Kelly ** with Edward Jones. From our first visit, she personally reviewed my assets, my goals, risk factors, and various important things before presenting her investment strategy. She listened carefully to me and my concerns. After that she was able to devise a plan to help me grow my money. Kelly and her team have been diligent in keeping me informed about the market and checking in with me to make sure I was satisfied with her performance. I receive weekly emails informing me about the market, seminars, webinars, and various informational meetings she was conducting for her clients.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

My Edward Jones Advisor and his staff are responsive, professional and courteous. We are kept informed in good times and in bad. I feel confident that he always has our best interests at heart. He is an experienced expert and a kind and caring individual. All questions are answered completely regardless of how inconsequential they may be. I would recommend him highly to anyone looking for professional financial advice.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

My current advisor took over from a long-time trusted local Edward Jones financial advisor. Tom ** is younger, and I'm older now (78). I can imagine that age gap being an issue for some. But I must say, Tom and his staff have made me comfortable. They frequently reach out, are very personable, and tho we don't get together in person (because of Covid), I've come to feel I know and trust them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations and does educational seminars. He is approachable whenever one needs to speak with him, and his assistant also is perfect! They treat me with a lot of respect even though my portfolio is very miniscule.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

We love our financial advisor through Edward Jones. He has been so awesome through everything. My husband retired in November 2019, and our financial advisor has been so helpful. I deal with anxiety and depression, and our advisor has helped me through all of it. He tells me not to worry continuously. He's been totally awesome!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

A good solid company with some very capable and knowledgeable people. Very little pressure but give many different choices for various products. Never rush you into buying but give very helpful advice. Very friendly and polite. They always get back to you as soon as possible.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I have been with Edward Jones for almost twenty years. My financial advisor is honest and pays attention to my portfolio. He always gives excellent advice. I've recommended many friends and family and they're always happy with him. This is a company that has earned my trust.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I retired in 2010, so I have seen upside and downs in the market, but E.J. has doubled my money in 10 years. They have scheduled yearly reviews and yearly rebalancing of my portfolio. They are even available for unscheduled meetings and teleconferences when needed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I've worked with two different EJ agents, one for almost 20 years, the other only for a short time. Both are very personable, knowledgeable, and trustworthy. I'd strongly recommend both of them to anyone seeking assistance with planning for the future.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

All my advisor wanted is my money, once he got it I never heard from him. So I moved my money then he calls me. Too bad, too late. I went with another advisor that calls me and we talk about the market and takes time to hear what I have to say.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Local office all employs are very personable and helpful. They treat a person like it was their own money being invested. They also help with other little things if you are in need like a copy of a form.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have had dealings with Edward Jones, using 3 different financial advisors in 3 different cities, over the past 25 years. The advice I have got goes beyond my investments. My advisors have helped me make informed decisions that have had positive implications for my financial security. My advisors have also been responsive to input from me, supported my wishes not to invest in certain sectors or industries. I have struck up good personal relationships with all my advisors. Only once have I wished I had been more forceful in my desire to reduce my holdings in a particular area. This is far outweighed by the good advice I have received. I don't begrudge the fees I have paid for their service. Good value for money!

Original review: June 2, 2020

I have a great financial advisor. I have my MBA and other post graduate education. When I contacted Kate ** to discuss my Sister's account, I was treated rudely and Kate was very condescending. My sister was on her death bed and as the Executor of her Will, there was information that I needed in order to carry out my dying sister's wishes. Kate insulted me by asking if I knew what "superseded" meant. I have only written Contracts, negotiated Contracts, Software Licensing agreements for 30+ years, so yes I knew what "superseded" meant. She would not allow me to talk, but continuously talked over me.

Out of the blue, she asked me, "Well, how long do you want your sister to live?" I don't know if she was agitated because I called her only the one time to ask a question or if she is just an outright rude person. However, the question was very inappropriate for what our family was going through at the time. Had I had time to think about the off the wall question, I would have said, "forever!" However, since I was so taken aback that I just said that is up to God. Although I am not one to leave negative reviews, I felt it necessary to forewarn people and families of her non-professional, arrogant, and rude manner. I would never use her as a Financial Advisor and hope that I do not have to deal with her in any manner in the future.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Stupidly I went to use a financial adviser to see if I can retire. They now have over 22000 of my money. Because of the virus and all I should help with (and all bills to pay) I asked for my money back.... Nope. They keep saying oh TAX TAX TAX and keep saying no won't give me my money because of tax. So, what the hell? I cannot pay my tax AND not pay my mortgage or help my daughter who has is unemployed. So yeah I guess I'll end up living on the road not in the home. And may never EVER see my 22000. So don't lose your money by using them.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I went into my advisor in January 2020 and told my advisor with her secretary right there that I felt the market was too high and that I wanted 80% CDs and 20% stock market twice to make sure it was done. I got back off vacation in March and had lost big!!! Confronted my advisor and she only said sorry!!! She hadn't done it!! When I started an investigation she and her secretary lied about it!!

Original review: March 14, 2020

I wanted to feel them out, so I called to ask if I needed to make an appointment, thinking about what questions they might ask & how I would answer...just as I thought, pompous & arrogant. The question of how much I was able to invest was EARLY in the conversation. Now, I have quite a bit more than $1000, but I needed to know if I was dealing with human beings, before committing. How sad, as I said "up to $1000", the "person" I was speaking with, repeated "up to $1000", putting strong inflection on "up to", then said I'd be better off with Charles Schwab. My opinion: Those who worship $ & care not for the rise of their fellow man, are nothing but pure evil, being only the shell of a man themselves.

Original review: March 11, 2020

Updated on 05/30/2020: They had a decent amt of money than just half of that (dont want to say obviously). They traded so much they made "financial gains" = to 1/4th then almost 50% of what I had yet I never saw a dime in the amount my account was worth. Nevertheless that is considered "income" so my tax es went up almost 4000$. I lost state assistance because they considered the "financial gains" income as well. I am a senior on a very fixed income and because of their complete mishandling of my account I have to struggle to take care of some things that the state would help with me but for the "income" from Edward Jones "financial gains. 2 moths ago I made a complaint. Was emailed they were looking into it and never heard another word. In my opinion from my experience they are untrustworthy.

Original Review: I went with them and they were told I am on a very fixed income and my investments all the money I have. Come tax time I find they bought and sold so much. Got the "financial gains" =ed 1/5th of all my money Even though I never saw that kind of money added to my account (account grew but little) it cost me thousands in taxes, which as one on very fixed income I have never had before. Ever.

I now find that because of the financial gains amount I am unable to get prescription help so cant afford some of my prescriptions, Based on my income I was eligible but the because of the "financial gains" which is considered income I am ineligible. Finding same with home repair help from state and private help groups. They have totally screwed me up and they dont seem to care. I am not allowed to tell you if they did or did not make any effort at some sort of settlement per them but can tell you that when I emailed their rep about the inability to get the financial stat/private help I need. They could not even be bothered to reply.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I requested rollover (from EdJ to my new opened 401(K) - simple act of consolidating accounts to lesser expense related one). They initiated distribution! Funds lost in tax and penalties - none due to my fault. Incompetent and irresponsible - please spare yourself the hell I am going through. Account opened and managed by Huntsville AL offices (two of them) - both incompetent; the 1st one messed up my initial transfer/account opening (due to divorce proceedings). The 2nd one the minute I said I want to roll over my $$ showed the true revengeful side and did not fulfill my rollover request. Same ignorance and irresponsiveness from the complaints@edwardjones.com - the ONLY way to file complaint. No protection as consumer so do your diligence (wish I did mine) and AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

In 2018 my FA notified me that I would have to sign up for EJ's Guided Solutions program as the "federal government" was requiring the company to convert all accounts. He did not tell me that it would cost $100 monthly to do so. And, the government had no such requirement. For approximately 10 months I paid the fees unknowingly until I reviewed my account online. I was shocked to find that the pennies I made were all erased.. and then some.. by the roughly $1,000 I lost by trusting I was not being taken advantage of. Additionally, returns over several years were meager. What a scam. Stay away from this company and their corrupt advisors who have only their self-interest at heart. I should have known. The FA lives in a trailer!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Six months after opening a 401k with my company, I switched companies to one that uses a different 401k company. I contacted EJ and was told I needed to wait until this month, this year. Diligently I began the process to get my funds transferred on the 6th of this month. My calls and emails went unanswered longer than really is acceptable. Finally!! I got a reply and was told they would send me the form in the mail. Then that took almost 2 more weeks. When it came, it was glued to the inside of the envelope, so it ripped. I called the local EJ office and got a voice mail. Because I have a job, I was unable to accept their calls when they called me back. Then they text me saying they couldn't get a hold of me. This was the same day.

The next day I called them, on my break, and was told my voice mail was full making it difficult for them to contact me. Using the syrupy sweet voice while chastising me. I didn't bother reminding her of my many emails and email address on their files (the same one they send junk mail to a few times a month). I just tried to move on to get what I needed. She then said she would email me the instructions on how to get on some EJ site to get the paperwork I needed. I followed the instructions to a "T" and was denied access. I called again. I was not calm. Some Courtney told me I needed to calm down before he would help me. I asked him why if he can see how long this interaction has been going on? Why I can't just get my damn money.

Eventually I got to Hannah again and I asked her why they couldn't just email the actual form to me?? She said some reason she couldn't but could fax it. But not until the next day. Today - I finally receive the fax and they add some other requirements from my current employer that my very experienced, very educated person in this department has NEVER been asked for before. We had already submitted all paperwork my employer is obligated to submit for a successful transfer. Every Edward Jones employee I've had interaction with has been sickening sweet while not helpful in any damn way. I don't have a lot of money in this 401K, so I'm a "nobody", but I will write reviews and shout it from the rooftops how unhelpful this company is!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

While I realize the stock market is unpredictable, my EJ advisor, Gary ** in Potsdam, NY told me I could expect a return of 6-7% annually on average. What I actually received was a return, over 26 months, starting in Nov. 2017 and ending 1-13-20 was 3.29%. This anemic return over 2 years when the stock market was soaring! Then, when I went to roll over to another broker on 12/20/19 my transfer was delayed and did not occur until I made several calls to EJ and my present adviser, until 1-13-20 which delay necessitated my paying 2 "program fees" totaling over $100, PLUS and $95 "transfer fee." All in all, Edward Jones made more money than I did over the 26 months. 3.29% over 2 years doesn't even keep up with the rise in the cost of living.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I have read all your posts about EJ and the situations that you are all in. I am in a similar boat. I have about 30k tied up in a SEP IRA and it was originally 1 account and they separated it into multiple accounts which I am furious over and just learned of. I call my EJ FA and can never seem to get him live on the phone and when I do they say hold for the long term etc same old advice. Does anyone know of a company where I can transfer my money out of EJ with minimal fees so I can get liquid to invest those funds into real estate instead? Would love to hear some feedback. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I was doing my due diligence when I was looking for a FA and I wanted to go with Edward Jones since the office in Des Plaines, Illinois was close to my house. I found that Will ** the FA was knowledgeable and trustworthy. What I found to be disturbing was his employee was not financially responsible. I quick search showed that there was a poor credit history which concerned me, greatly. Are there no background checks on the employees who will have access to your money? Do your due diligence people. Charles Schwab is where I ended up going and feel much safer with that decision.

Edward Jones Company Information