1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1257 CitiCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Last year Citibank was offering what I thought was a pretty good balance-transfer deal, so I applied for a card. They approved me, with the smallest credit-limit I've ever received - less than half of my next smallest limit, and less than 10% of my largest credit limit (and this includes a different credit-card I started using two months ago) - so I wasn't able to transfer much, but I did what I could.

Since it is my smallest credit-card limit, and I've had it over a year now (the zero-balance rate is about to expire), I decided to pay it off with a new balance-transfer card from a different institution. I originally asked for the transfer on 10/19/2018, which was approved by the other institution on 10/23/2018. But, as of 11/2/2018, it still had not been applied to the Citibank credit-card, so I called both institutions to find out why. Apparently, Citibank refused an electronic transfer from the other institution, so a check had to be mailed. Ok, whatever. As of 11/09/2018, the check had not yet arrived. But, apparently they received it on 11/10/2018 - they sent me an email saying it had arrived and had been applied, and my available credit went up by the transfer amount. OK, it took MUCH longer than expected, but everything finally looks good, except...

Although my available credit went up by the transfer amount, my balance ALSO went up by the transfer amount - my current balance, plus my available credit amount, now exceeds my total credit-limit by the amount of the transfer - yet when you look at the spending details since the last statement, the detail listing shows I've spent just over $300, but the summary list says I've spent just over $300 PLUS the amount of the transfer. So, somehow, they applied the balance-transfer payment as a debit, although my available credit did go up by the transfer amount.

The real trouble started when I tried to call and find out what was going on (I first tried the Chat feature on their web-page but the person on the other end had no idea what they were doing, had no customer-service skills, and couldn't answer any questions, so I then called their 800-number instead). Before they could review my account, they needed to verify who I was, and they asked for my code-word. Although I use code-words with other institutions, I've never given Citibank a code word; nor did they ever ask for a code-word when I called them the first time to find out why the balance-transfer hadn't been applied yet (I was rather upset that a check had to be mailed instead of an electronic transfer, so did an employee apply a code-word out of spite?).

They kept insisting that my code-word was a pet's name that began with a specific letter of the alphabet. Other than aquariums - and no, I don't name my fish - I haven't owned a pet in over 30 years, and never had a pet whose name started with that specific letter of the alphabet, so where that code-name came from, I have no idea. What code-words I do use are always ex-girlfriend's names that has some relation to either the institution itself or to the time-frame of when I started using the institution. And, I have never had a girlfriend whose name began with that specific letter of the alphabet.

So, since they couldn't verify me by a (non-existent) code-word, they asked for a phone number instead so they could send a text for verification purposes. I gave them the same phone number that's on the account, which is the same phone-number that they send me twice-weekly automated texts about my balances, yet they said their system wouldn't "accept" that phone number. So, I had to wait and talk to an account-rep before we could continue.

I was on hold for over 20 minutes (thank God for speaker phones!) before the customer-service rep and the account rep both came back on-line (although there were many times I heard clicks as if someone was checking the line to see if I had hung up), and the account-rep was finally able to verify my identity using the recent payment methods I had used. Finally, we're getting somewhere! Except...

The first thing I tried to do was find out what my code-word was - they refused to tell me, but they did ask if I wanted to changed it. Of course I did! When I tried to change it to "I hate Citibank", they told me it has to be less than ten characters, so I asked to change it to "CancelCard", which apparently they couldn't understand because they kept trying to spell as "B-I-N-something". When the customer-service rep finally got it (correctly) changed, I could hear the account-rep in the background tell the customer-service rep, "just cancel the card and hang-up on him". Of course, I got upset! I told them I didn't want to cancel the card, I just wanted that to be my code-word, since it was going to be something (really!) easy to remember.

At this point, the account rep and I started arguing about the service I was receiving, and I ended up I hanging up on them out of frustration, never having found out what happened to the balance-transfer. When I then tried to log back in through their web-portal, I immediately get a message saying, "There is a fraud alert on your account - you must call Customer Service before continuing. Really?!? At this point, I have "canceled" the card myself by cutting it in half. We'll see if the balance-transfer gets applied (my next step is to file a complaint with the CFPB), and I will simply pay-off the remainder of the balance due, then never use the card again!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I started using this card in 1984 and have never seen such poor service in all my life starting this year. Three weeks ago they declined a transaction I tried to put through without any explanation. I called them and verified the transaction but they claimed I had to wait to receive a letter from them before they could reactivate the card. Since I live overseas the card would remained blocked for over two weeks.

All attempts to communicate and find a specific explanation and solution were refused by their Indian staff using the same buzz phrases. "There are no options, I am not able to verify, I don't have access, my supervisor will call you back, you will receive a letter explaining..." Repeated over and over! After my fourth phone call to another agent, I finally reached someone who unblocked the card. However I was not able to reprocess my transaction which was a birthday present for my wife as the time spent to resolve the issue went way past the closing time for the store.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I erroneously sent a large payment to Citibank which I owed to another credit card company. When I first called their customer service I was connected to an individual who had a very weak command of the English language. He informed me that he could do nothing about it and that I would have to visit the bank in person. I live in Utah and there are no Citibank branches in the state. I called again was asked all the information again and was told a balance transfer would go back to my account in 3 to 5 business days. That time came and went with no refund. When I called again I was told it would require another 10-14 business days to research my account. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it would take up to 48 hours for that to happen. This company fails at the basics of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have call to dispute a charge. The so call female manager was very rude, I hang up on this so call manager, call again. What do I get? Not friendly person or so call manager. I have never CC company without any compassion for their customer, totally rude, no sympathy in their voice, totally rude, careless on their tone of voice. Just cold heart dispute and manager. Citibank don't have customer services they need. I am going to continue to fight and fight, until they do something about their customer.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My last billing statement came with no return envelope. I called customer service to make sure I got them in the future, and was told they are no longer providing them! I was also told the address on the billing statement is wrong and was given a different address to send my payment to. I asked what would have happened if I had printed my own envelope and sent it to the address on the statement, and was told it would have been returned to me! So it looks like they are trying to force people into online payments with no notice, and trying to collect late payment fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Citicard customer service is the biggest bunch of lying and inept people on the planet. THEY ARE OF ABSOLUTELY NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER. Called several times when charges were denied and they couldn't verify my account. Told me to hang up on several occasions and they would call me right back to verify my account. Be sure to leave your line open they said... no callbacks ever came. According to them, they couldn't even open my account to look at! Waiting on a letter from them for over a week! Can't charge til then. Ever since Citi saw that I make large purchases and pay off my balance every month they don't like paying out those 2% rewards they promise.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Citibank won't let me pay off balance to close account. I called CitiCard bank. Said I was 2 months late. Paid on time. Won't let me pay off the amount I owe them. Waiting on statement billing period 23-24. They wait 7 days to send me a bill. I need a security code ** and ** the customer service would not give me any information. They said I was late in Feb-2017 March 2017. I was not late.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I recently applied for a balance transfer credit card with CITI. I was rejected as CITI states I have a history of late payments. This is ridiculous. I've made every payment to CITI on my previous credit cards and Mortgage. I review my credit history and it shows 00% across the board. My wife and I were recently thinking about a REFI with CITI, but decided against it as CITIBANK was using an appraisal from 2008 on our home which was exactly the same as the initial appraisal when we purchased the house.

When I discussed this with the lending manager, he stated the appraiser did a drive-by - how can you appraise a home with a drive-by. I asked to see the report as I doubted its accuracy and the manager said I'd have to pay for it. This is ludicrous. Now, I think that manager put something negative in my file and I am look to involve my attorney. CITI used to be great, but they have gotten rather underhanded in their dealings with individual consumers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We are very disappointed with Citicard's customer service performance. If you have a dispute, they will side with the merchant. They do not care if you are a good customer with excellent record. We are Costco customers since they opened in Yakima, WA. With American Express we never have a problem, Citicard is terrible. I am starting to buy less in Costco so I won’t utilize the Citicard. I don’t know why Costco entrusted their clients with this terrible Card service. We know we are just a drop in the ocean of corporate transactions, but maybe if we complain enough we will have a voice.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Received a call about my account being past due, looking into the matter I had not received my statements for two months, when I asked the Citi rep why he informed me I choose "paperless billing" but when I asked for proof he could not provide it, only told me it was done "electronically" but again could not provide me any information/proof of this. Was told the late fees could not be waived until I paid the past due balance which included the late fees!!! I was on Citi's chat service with another rep simultaneously who confirmed that my account was on a "paper" billing and not "paperless". Requested a manager call me on this matter and two days later I'm still waiting for a call.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently had an HVAC system installed in the home my husband and I own. I broke my leg the day after install and my husband is deployed to Afghanistan. I had not received a statement for the first month after purchase. I called company. They had my phone number and info but wanted to speak with husband who was in Afghanistan. My husband finally got through and they said that the statement had been sent to a house we lived in 12 years ago. They would not change the address on the account. Also they sent the account to collections. I asked to make a payment. They would not tell me the balance or how much the payment even would be.

My husband does not have a cell phone and is literally on a special secret assignment. This is ridiculous. Finally he was able to have a code sent to my phone and change the address on the account. Literally he called 5 times in the middle of his night after waiting for a government phone in a tent. I guess, still not sure the address has been changed on the account, finally. I made a payment, but was not given specifics on balance. I hope that at least this issue has been fixed. Way to stress out a soldier Citibank, and put him in harm's way because you kept him up and stressed him out. This cannot be the first time they have worked with the military. They need to get it together.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My wife and I disputed a transaction with a vendor in May 2018, that consisted of several charges made against our Citi credit cards, i.e. a single payment that was divided into 6 separate tranches that were charged against 3 cards. We cancelled the contract with the vendor within the requisite legal timeframe and as stipulated by the contract, delivering in person to their office to make sure they received it. We followed up with a phone call and email to restate our decision to cancel the contract and request that they reverse the charges made to our credit cards.

To make sure the vendor would follow through, we filed a dispute with Citi for all of the payments, and provided them with the supporting documentation they requested. We were strung along by Citi for several months, during which we had to contact them by phone to get updates on our disputed charges. Finally, in August, we spoke to a supervisor who reviewed all the supporting documentation that we had provided Citi, and assured us that our dispute file was complete and the charges reversed. We later learned to our dismay that this was a fraudulent claim, and that the Citi representative had lied to us about the disposition of our dispute claims.

More than a month later, we were told that only one of the payments out of the 6 was indeed permanently reversed, and that four others were pending a response from the vendor. We are awaiting a determination. The vendor refused to reverse one of the payments, and Citi said that it could do no more for us on this payment, despite the fact that all 6 payments were made under the terms of the same contractual agreement that was cancelled back in May. The fact that Citi has done such a poor job of following through on our dispute, is compounded by the fact that they misled us as to the process, and the inconsistency of their reversing one of the 6 charges based on the exact same documentation that supported our claim for all the charges. We are now being told that Citi will no longer pursue this charge, and that we have to appeal directly to the vendor to ask them to do so.

We should point out that we had some charges for this same cancelled contract made to our Chase credit cards, and that Chase quickly resolved our dispute with this same vendor in little more than a month, based on the same documentation. Citi obviously does not have the same standard of customer card as their competitors. We will no longer use any of their financial products and will discourage others from doing so.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

On 13 January there were 3 illegal credit card transactions which I immediately reported to Citibank. 2 of them were settled but one wasn't. I called them on 20 Jan, 24 April, 29 August, 11 September, 26 September, and emailed them on 26 Sep and 1 October to settle this. Apparently they just found out their mistakes of lifting it out on 29 August, but no action was taken.

So I finally went to Citibank branch in Singapore and the staff there was so surprised that it has been unresolved so long. All process began again as usual. Explained what happened and had to fill up the format. Today there was a call from dispute team finally! And stupid enough, had to explain all over again. She was asking whether I'm okay to receive just two hundred dollars voucher which I thought it is kind of token to express their apology. Guess what! She was trying to negotiate with me to close the case by giving two hundred dollars instead of returning back total eight hundred fifteen dollars. When I refused with fury she said, "I see, you want full refund is it?" Seriously they are beyond imagination! Now even cannot tell me when they will give me money back.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I called to cancel a payment to my Citi credit card and set up a new payment from a different account. The next month I noticed the payment that was cancelled was still being taken from my old account. I called customer service and was hung up on by a customer service agent. I called back and finally got an agent to help me. I was refunded the unauthorized payment and was told it was cancelled and would not happen again. Unfortunately, this did not happen. So I called back again today and was hung up on again by the first CSR I spoke with. I spend the next 45 minutes working with another CSR that was unable to tell me why my request to cancel the unauthorized payment was never handled, but assured me it will be handled this time. We shall see. I now have three instances of Citi taking unauthorized payments from an account. I advise to stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have a credit score of over 800 but after two months still can't get my Citicard activated! They mailed me a paper form to verify my Social Security number, after approving my online application for the card. I called to make sure the paper form was legit before returning it because the application process, nor any of the e-mailed correspondence had mentioned that I would be required to complete, sign, and mail a paper form in. They said it was from them and so I reluctantly completed it, signed, and returned the form. A few days later, my cards came in the mail and thinking all was finally okay, I called the number on the sticker to activate the card. After the computer process failed, and holding for several minutes, a person finally came on the line speaking in very broken English. I could barely understand them. They said that they didn't have the paper form yet and so they could not activate my card.

So I waited and called the next week and they had received my form and said the my Social Security number all checked out okay, but that I didn't mail in the second page of the form (which was just a privacy statement, containing no initials, signature, or information for me to complete) so they could not accept my form and thus could not activate my card. So they promised to mail me another form. In the next two weeks that passed, I received e-mails from Citi asking why I had not yet activated my card and a couple contained a link that supposedly would do so, but that failed to work. I didn't bother to call but I thought how stupid for them not to turn off those reminders if something was holding up the card activation. This company obviously lives in the dark ages with their technology.

I finally did receive the new form and this time I returned it and every piece of paper that came with it. I've called back and they still say that they haven't received it. At least that was the best that I could understand them in whatever language they were speaking. I asked to speak to a supervisor this time and at least I could understand them clearly as they told me that they couldn't help me. So here we are two months gone and still I can't activate my cards, which have been approved and a credit limit established. If this form is needed, it should be made a part of the online application process. They don't even include a self addressed or window envelope with it and don't warn you that it's coming when you apply. I can't get anyone to explain to me why this was required or if it's asked for every time, or why in my case I was singled out.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Citi provides shopping benefit related to warranty where they reimburse customer in case of issues after the original manufacturer's warranty is over. I filed 3 claims under warranty benefit where my intercom is having issue related to Alexa software. All my 3 claims have been denied and I was told that since the manufacturer doesn't cover software, Citi Warranty Benefit also will not cover the claim. They pointed out the below T&Cs from the manufacturer warranty page - "This Limited Warranty does not cover consumable parts, including batteries, unless damage is due to defects in materials or workmanship of the Product, or software (even if packaged or sold with the product)."

I was totally upset by the misinterpretation of this T&C not only by the adjusters, but supervisor as well as Operation Manager. The above statement as per my understanding and also confirmed by the manufacturer pertains to the consumable parts which is not covered, unless the damage to the consumable part is due to defects in materials or due to workmanship or due to software. However the Citi benefit people are misinterpreting this by splitting this sentence into two parts and eliminating the last reason for the defect [Software] and saying, "The Limited Warranty does not cover Software". This is a generic T&C used by many manufacturers and the intent is to provide warranty to the consumables if they are found defective due to the damage to these 3 things - material, workmanship or software.

I am so frustrated with this level of misinterpretation to deny my claim, that makes me wonder why Citi has this benefit when they are out there to deny our claims. Anyway, I went ahead and contacted manufacturer who clarified this T&C. They said - 1> Software are covered. 2> The above T&C is related to consumables.

When I clarified this to the Operation Manager, who first refused to agree that their interpretation is wrong, but when I mentioned I have manufacturer's email clarification, then he told me that, irrespective if a manufacturer covers software, Citi Warranty excludes software. I then questioned him on their T&Cs, which he failed to provide. What he provided was T&C from their 'Price Protection' benefit which excludes software. After this, he apologized for his misunderstanding but still refused to fix the issue. He kept on saying, the T&C states software are excluded from warranty, and on pressing him, that he is wrong, and I have email clarification from the manufacturer, he agreed to call them to figure out the correct meaning.

Irrespective, when a manufacturer confirms that they cover software which I have in writing, why is Citi Benefit Dept, denying a genuine claim. This is pathetic service from the highest authority in Citi Benefit, and I repent being their customer. They should learn from Discover and Amex. This is my 2nd claim with Citi Benefit and both had issues. Even my first claim under Price Protection was denied even after producing screenshot, and they had to call the manufacturer to confirm which I had to press for it as they kept on denying claims. No wonder this company fares so poor in every aspect of customer service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My spouse and I have exceptional credit ratings, but despite this, Citibank would only authorize a card with a limit of $1,200. We had contacted Citibank several times and were extremely displeased with the responses/reasoning that we were given (completely false reasoning that was presumable obtained from credit reports). We have investigated our credit reports as a consequence of this, and there are no adverse credit reports on any of the 3 major credit reporting agencies.

I have dealt with Citibank through the US government in the past, and was equally disappointed in their service, and communication abilities (not to mention dispute resolution, which seems to be completely non-existent).

As a result of this, we have cancelled our card with Citibank/COSTCO and have shifted a majority of our warehouse purchasing from COSTCO to SAM'S Club, in addition to obtaining a similar credit card from SAM'S (that did not have the difficulties and failure of service that Citibank had). After reading the adverse comments that are published, I see that my situation is not any different than many others who have had the same experience with the Citibank/COSTCO card. Warning: steer clear of Citibank and view with skepticism the leadership of COSTCO for their decision to foul themselves by associating with a company that appears that is dishonest in their dealings with customers, and does not seem to have any sense of what customer service is supposed to be centered around.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I accidentally paid a large sum of money to this credit card, instead of another credit card I have, to pay off the balance. This account had been closed for several years. I paid it on 8/29/2018 and they cashed it within 4 days. I called them once I figured it out around 9/7/2018. They told me they would send a refund check and I would get it within 7-10 days. Needless to say, the check never came (and still hasn’t). I called on 9/24/2018 asking where the check was. They put a stop/pay on it that date and I requested it be overnighted. They said they can’t do that, but can deposit it into my bank account directly.

Needless to say, it’s been 6 days and I still don’t have the refund. I have called every day and they keep giving me excuses about how many reviews it has to go through. I will NEVER own another CitiCard! It’s completely unacceptable for someone to not get a refund for a month and for a company to keep MY money hostage!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Four charges were made for Xbox downloads. I'm 75 years old, don't own an Xbox, never had, never will. These charge occurred after visiting a college town and having hotel and restaurant charges. Citi arbitrarily denied my claim. They did however, remove a charge for a Nike online purchase that occurred at the same time. Does anyone see a purchase pattern here? Why didn't Citi? We're still fighting.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The dispute department makes you jump through hopes as they lie to you. The number of calls and time it takes to get a let from the dispute company is ridiculous. They really have huge problems with their help's reliability and even simple spelling of an email. Don’t expect to get your business taken care of here. My advice - rip up your card and never use it again. It will spare you frustration and headaches with a company that could care less about you and customer service. It’s not worth doing business with them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

A Citi credit card is barely one step above a payday lender. There are a lot of dynamics at play in how such a great brand destroyed itself but mainly the merger with Capital One (a ** operator) led to its downfall. Despite consumer protection act rules, the card will maliciously shift due dates and withhold clearing payment so as to hit you with fees. It is sad as they used to be such a wonderful brand. Would travel and pay internationally on this card with great comfort knowing Citi had my back. Literally have done million of $$$ of business with them and stunned by the pettiness of their once great service. You are not a customer, you are a mark. Stay away. Zeroed my balance and will never go back.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

We are with Citicard for over 20 years. On one day our card was declined twice. We called the fraud department to find out what is the problem. You would think that that would be simple. But that was not the case. So it happens that someone hacked into our phone carrier, Optimum online and forwarded our calls to another number. We believe that the bank tried to call us but without success. It was actually the bank representative that our calls are forwarded to another phone. I was instructed by the fraud supervisor to contact the phone company and fix the problem, then call back for verification.

Since than I spoke to at least 4 different representative, but like a broken record, they said that they send us a letter for verification and that there is no other way to either closed the account or issue another card as the bank does when a card is stolen, leaving us without a credit card for who knows how long. Doing stuff by snail mail could take forever. It looks like the bank puts themselves first and the customer last.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I applied for credit card then they called me from sales dep which is not professional anymore. They don't have experience and give me wrong information. They lie to me and every time they say something different. They was my time especially this Philippine lady in sales dep she hang up the call in very bad. Why.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Never been late since I got it this thing more than 4 years, paying off all my credit cards, my credit score is at 56%. They just decreased my limit from $2000 to my balance of $630.00, just paid $1000 payment so I can be at 30% on my credit usage on credit report. Never this card again and like American Express as well. Rip off. They told me I have a bad credit, told them I do not, never missed a payment on any of my accounts, then they said ok then, "Is because of higher interest rate you might have," really??? ** Citibank.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Run fast and far away from this company. I had no idea but just Google illegal interest charges Citibank. I've had the credit card 2 months and they've already charged me interest when payment was made in full before due date.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I received an email this morning thanking me for my call with them this morning (I never called them). I booked airline travel on this card two weeks ago, and the email CITIBANK sent me showed that I was returning ten days later than I actually was. I was told by the very rude woman that the airline had authorization to contact them regarding my travel plans -- even though the email said that I HAD CONTACTED THEM. I was pretty stupefied by this, and she ended up hanging up on me. I am canceling this idiotic card. I refuse to be treated like a moron from someone who obviously doesn't know customer service at all. PS -- why is the airline contacting them? My travel plans have not changed, and the agent at CITIBANK could not understand why I might be alarmed that the travel dates were stated differently than the tickets I had purchased.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I love Costco but now I'm starting to hate them too for entrusting their clients to a dubious credit card establishment like this CitiCard for Costco. I hate taking cash or check with me all the time and I usually shop a lot in bulk because I'm a small business owner. I have a great relationship with Amex that's why I was so disappointed when we were automatically transferred to this crappy card. I agree with all of the reviews here. They slap you with unreasonable interest charges and late fees, even if it's just a few minutes. They only care about grabbing or stealing money from their customers. Very rude, annoying, not very well informed reps.

I know a lot of my friends who got fraudulent activities/charges and hard to reverse with them. My dad wanted to sue them because he lives in CA and someone has been ordering some stuff recurrently in Florida under his CitiCard. He reported it to them repeatedly to stop payment but they never did and he had been calling them daily for 2 weeks until he finally said, "I'm a senior citizen who is probably being scammed by CitiCard itself or one of the employees, I will call the police, file charges and call my lawyer to sue you!" Stay away from CitiCard! Or better yet, we probably should file a lawsuit for their fraudulent practices!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am a responsible credit card user and mostly pay off my cards in full every month other than occasional large purchases. I have had Citi card for about 5 years but have only used it twice for purchases over $10K. The first time this happened, I thought I made the final payment early before the end of the billing cycle, so we were hit with interest the following month. My mistake was not logging into Citi to check my account balance after it was paid in full because I ended up getting charged additional interest the following month then receiving 2 months of late fees because I had no idea that I had a balance.

Turns out that I did not make the payment early, Citi just charges interest the month following their 'grace period' (what other companies call a due date). The extremely disappointing part of this is that my Citi card has the highest interest rate of any card, so I get charged double the high-interest rate. Just this month, I made my final payment then was hit with interest the following month even though I paid my Statement balance in full. In all of the credit cards I've had over the years, I've never experienced this with any other company. This is my last time using Citi card.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I applied for this card about 2 weeks ago upon reading rave reviews on various finance websites. I was approved immediately, but was unable to set up my online account at that time, and instead received multiple error messages. Fine, couldn't use the card anyway without the full card number, so I decided to wait until it arrived in the mail. It did so a few days ago, and I started to use it to pay some bills and make some purchases. I still couldn't, however, log in to either the website or the app. A very unhelpful agent in an overseas call center told me I would need to log in from a desktop. I told him I do not own nor have access to one, and that this was ridiculous, I've never been unable to log in to any other type of financial institution from a laptop.

Finally, about a day later, I was able to get in to my account. All was well for maybe a day more, but then I had some purchases declined. I then received the dreaded message from Citibank that due to "unusual activity" (none of which was showing on my account page), I would have to contact them. They asked for my phone number to verify me, then said that this number, the only one I have, was not verified. They asked for a landline or a direct work number, neither of which I have. (I work at a school, and we do not take or make personal calls from our desk phones.) Then they asked for a credit card number from a different bank, I was very reluctant to provide this, but eventually I felt I had no other choice so I did provide one from Bank of America.

After a very long wait, the rep came back to tell me that while they were able to confirm that this was a valid account, there was a mismatch of some information. He was by that point treating me, I felt, like some kind of criminal, like I was deliberately trying to perpetuate fraud. He kept telling me he was not authorized to tell me what the information mismatch was, or what the problem with my phone was, and made some comment about reporting my situation. Reporting as in... getting me some help? Or filing a complaint against me? It was pretty unclear.

I was calling from my workplace, so I know that I didn't use any bad language, nor did I threaten anything more dire than that I would stop using my card, but if asking questions and sounding grumpy is cause for alarm, I bet Citibank reps are alarmed all the time since who wouldn't be grumpy with the world's worst customer service? At any rate, I am waiting for them to snail mail me some form which will ask for who knows what type of verification. A DNA sample, probably. And then it still won't be good enough. 2% cash back, my ** (see, I still didn't use bad language). I can't earn cash back if I can't use the stupid card, and I wouldn't think it's doing them any good, either. I'll go back to using my 1.5% card, since cash back in hand beats an endless customer disservice nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had the same situation as another reviewer, with the credit card. I received mine in the mail, tried to activate it, and was sent to the fraud department. They also told me that my phone number, that I gave on the application, was not a verified number. Even after I answered all of my personal questions, they still said that it wasn't me. I was told that I would have to wait for something in the mail to verify I am who I say I am. All the while, if there is fraud, there is nothing I can do about it until I get a LETTER in the SNAIL MAIL!? Who does business like this anymore? Terrible customer service. I was wondering what the resolution on Trevor from Clovis, CA was? Has it since been handled? Thanks in advance.

CitiCard Company Information