Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.57/5
Based on 1,019 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1328 CitiCard Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

Citi insisted I replace my card even though it was just reissued and used twice with American companies. I refused. They are saying they investigated and can't find proof to rule my claim of fraud! I froze my card and a few weeks later, there was an online order made for $260.88. My card had been unblocked and relocked. Funny they didn't contact me about 5 duplicate charges in Singapore but they declined and notified me of charges in the UK. NO legitimate credit card provider would allow that from Singapore without a call. And there were no other charges from out of the country. AND I don't have a valid passport. In other words, no evidence to disprove my claim of fraud on the part of the company that calls me a liar.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have been a long time (20 years) credit card customer. I have recently (within the last year) opened a checking account and keep a small balance in it. I notified the credit card side that I would be travelling overseas for a month. Up until this point, I was able to access all of my account via the web or the mobile app. While in Europe, I signed onto the mobile app to make a credit card payment and realized that the only thing I could see was my checking account. My credit card accounts were gone. So, I called technical support. I did not bring my debit card to Europe with me as it would not be needed. I was told by support that I could not make any changes unless I had my debit number. It did not matter that I had both of my credit cards with me and I had my sign on information and security information.

I was on the phone for almost two hours trying to get this resolved. I was transferred no less than 10 times and I had to repeat my sign on and security information each time. At this point, my sister, who was sitting next to me during this phone call, knows my information by heart since I had to repeat it so many times. I had a complete breakdown after being passed around so many times. At which point the customer service representative hung up on me. I had to call back and finally got someone to unlink my accounts without my debit card. I was able to create a new sign on with one of the credit cards so I could access it on its own and make payments.

I am now back in the States and I am having the same issue. I can no longer access the credit card account. When I called customer service, I was on hold for 15 minutes and gave up. The links on the website to reset or re-link do not work. How can a billion dollar company have such crappy web capabilities? It defies all sense. Spend some money on your web infrastructure! After this experience, I have decided to close all of my accounts and I will never think about Citibank again. As far as I am concerned, they do not deserve my business!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Don’t use double Citibank credit card at all! They would closed your account and take away your cashback. They kept telling me the cashback was took away once they closed they account, and that is their business decision, "the business decision to take away my money?" I am trying to find the outcomes, not the explanations why the cashback became 0 even you closed the account.

As a credit card user, one of the main reason or the only reason we are trying to use credit card is getting cashback, my cashback balance in my double cashback credit card almost reached $1000 after two year spending since I tried my best to use my card for all the purchases that allow to pay with card. And Citibank closed my account before the day I was trying to redeem my cashback. And they kept saying the cashback were removed when the account was closed even they were the one who closed the account because it was their business decision.

Why don’t closed my account on the first month when I began to use this card, why don’t you closed my account when my cashback balance was less than $100. Why your business decision was so smart that let you closed my account until my cashback was increased to a certain number? I did not ask you why you closed my account because I knew that is your “business decision”. I am just trying to say if you can’t afford it, don’t say you are the double cashback Citi credit card, not even credit card. I can find the same benefits from all other debit cards.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I received a late payment notice by email yesterday on my Citi AAdvantage card for their $99 annual membership fee. I haven’t used this card in over a year. I initially got the card for a family vacation that was in December 2017. They offered an attractive signup bonus with miles and first checked bag free. However, due to me using miles to book my flight and being forced to book the other 4 tickets for my family separately, AA would not honor the first checked bags free for my family’s bags. This cost my family over $100 round trip which was very upsetting. 6/26 11:48AM PDT (approx 45 min call) Called Citi / AAdvantage 800# and spoke with phone rep. She couldn’t help me so she transferred me to customer service who transferred me to their manager Richard, who transferred me to his manager Eric - each time I had to explain from the very beginning what the problem was and how I was asking for it to be resolved.

Everyone I spoke with at this point kept telling me they can only waive the annual fee up to 60 days. I didn’t even know I had a balance due because I hadn’t used the card in over a year and apparently was on paperless billing. The only two emails I recall receiving from Citi were within the last week or so. One saying my AA miles expired and the other yesterday when I first became aware of any balance owed to Citi. Eric couldn’t do anything and claimed there was nobody above him. All he offered was to fill out a customer complaint and somebody higher up would call me within 48 hours. 6/27 2:06PM PDT Kevin ** called my cell and said there is nobody above him. He would not waive the $99 annual fee. He said he listened to my call from the day prior and nothing could be done. Horrible customer service. He kept talking over me and repeatedly said they do not and will not waive the annual fee.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Our Sears Mastercard is really a Citi Credit Card. My 87 year old mother went to use her card for a purchase under $75. It was rejected. She has been making her payment on time and over the minimum amount due. We call customer service and they said, "You haven't made a payment this (June)." We said we sent through our bank bill paying on 6/7, same method we been using and the bank said payment was sent and accepted by Citibank. The customer service agent said, "We have not received it. Would you like to make a payment? Check with your bank."

We repeated that our bank had already looked and verified it. Agent: "Did it have Citibank in the transaction?" I said, "It the same process that we been using." Then on hold, checks a different department and they did receive the payment but wrong account. "We will get it straight." "Why did you reject card when it is less than 30 days and we have been making payments over the minimum? That's your computer." I said, "Reprogram it, I've never had a card that would reject that quick." Talked to manager, she said the same thing, "That how our computer is set up." Can you give some feedback to change it? No sorry, sorry, sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: June 24, 2019

I had it secured credit card with Citibank. They took the money out of my bank account. That would be my proof in court. They say they put it in the mail my check and it was returned to them with no explanation. That was a lie. Now they said he's recent get back out in the mail and I should receive and my refund check in 7 to 10 days. I'm going to take them to small claims court, give me attorney and sue for more than my deposit that is taking so long to come to me, for stress every time I talk to Citibank. I record the message and I will bring it back to court. Citibank is the worst bank in the world. My family have a business account with Citibank that will be cancelled soon.

Original review: June 21, 2019

You might want to scheduled a full day to calling CitiCard customer service. And get your finger ready to hit lots of prompts before you get to someone that cannot help you. Then transfer to another group. I finally hung up. Maybe their web portal can help... NOT!! Glad I don't use this very often.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Terrible. I was a credit card customer for 16 years and since I didn't have activity on my account they closed it without ever contacting me. I have 2 other cards with them. All 3 over 10 years and never a single late payment. I asked them to not close my account and they said they could do a hard credit pull and open it back up. I said, "No thanks," I will do a hard credit pull with another company and move my business elsewhere. 16 years of perfect payment history and the thanks is basically a screw you. Don't waste your time with these guys, their customer service has gone downhill as you can see with all the lawsuits they are involved in.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Someone initiated a balance transfer to my Citibank card and customer service told me that there was nothing they could do. So, for the last 3 months, I've paid someone else's balance in order to maintain my credit! I called over 20 times to talk to different departments in hopes of some help with this situation. It was a fraudulent charge on my card. I finally got someone to open a dispute to investigate it. After 10 days, they closed the dispute and said they couldn't help me. I only found out they closed the dispute by me calling them - once again. They didn't even call or email me about that. Horrible customer service. I have nothing good to say about this company.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Citibank is not customer friendly and want to steal your money by imposing fees/penalties. Other banks do give one time exceptions but Citibank is one greedy bank. Very poor Customer Service, rude talking and also thick sense of racism (** supremacy). I have closed my Credit Card Account with Citi...Skip CITI for credit Cards.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I wish I could give 0 stars. They are fine when there are no issues, but try to contact customer service and it all changes. No matter who you speak to, there is no one above them to speak to. I was transferred back and forth for two hours and there was yet to be a supervisor and finally when they told me that they connected me to one, he was talking as if he was at the bottom of a well. I asked for a direct number to call and he, from the bottom of the well said they don't do that. I asked for him to call me back, and he from the bottom of the well said they don't do that so I cancelled my card and I am going to have them chase me down to get their money.

So, here is my recommendation: Cancel your card and don't pay the amount you owe on the card (I know I have excellent credit too but this is worth it) and then when they keep writing to you to get their money back, tell them that you only will give them the money if the SUPERVISOR calls you. Then we will see if supervisors exist or not and whether they can call you or not.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have had nothing but issues since I’ve had a credit card through Citibank and nobody can seem to resolve the issue. Even after making 7+ calls and spending too much of my time and energy dealing with issues with not being about to use my card and getting declined with a zero balance. It’s ridiculous. I’ve never had issues with American Express or my Amazon card but this card is nothing but trouble. If I could give it zero stars I would.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Planning for vacation? Do you see cheap flights on American Airlines that you want to book? Well, don't bother applying for their credit cards! Their security measures don't allow people to have Temporary Cards/Numbers. Once you apply for a card and get a approved, you need to wait 7-10 business days to actually use your card. At that point, air fare costs will increase, causing you to spend even more on your credit card. I've applied to many credit cards from Kmart, Military Star Card, USAA, 1 from Comenity Capital Bank, and 2 from Synchrony Bank.

I've never had to wait for my cards to arrive to make purchases! This is very inconvenient for people, especially in cases where it may be an emergency. If I had a family member who was terminally sick and had no funds to fly, I would need to apply for a credit card to make that immediate flight to my family member. Obviously the Citi banks do not offer that. I do not recommend this bank for credit card purposes.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My card is being declined over and over, and all my payments being held (for security purposes). When I check the account online, the balance is zero, and card declined. I have accepted this for a while and just using another card, but it is unacceptable to me as a client that I have my purchases declined at cashiers, and that my money is being held at no interest, not even respect, for weeks.

I just called them 3 times, and they keep putting me on a hold until I am disconnected. Now I have the third person on the line, that said he will try to clear my payment (that has already been paid by my bank). I just hang up right now, after being on the line with them for almost 1.5 hour, and all I was told is that they apologize for the inconvenience. I will now waste the other half of my day to write the Executive Response Unit a complaint letter, and finally cancel this useless card.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Absolutely Terrible. Good luck with the dispute process. This company has horrible customer service that talks to you like you’re a piece of trash. They do not defend the customer. The process for a dispute is easily a full-time job. I had a receipt from the merchant hand written and an email showing exactly how much money they owed and they still failed the dispute and gave it to the merchant which is more than enough evidence than any average person would have. Horrible company that forwards calls overseas to rude people in other countries. I will never use them again. American Express and Visa here I come all over again. I would never deal with Citi and if that’s Mastercard's process I would never deal with them either. Not worth the hassle for the 2%. Better off sticking with a 1.5% card and not having to deal with them.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Over a year ago I bought a Moto G5+. After about 6 months the screen went blank. CITI extended insurance is supposed to cover you for a period of two years after the manufacturer's limited warranty expires, which in this case was 3 months. Twice I sent all of the docs CITI asked for, to the address they told me to send it and talked to them over the phone and yet, 8 months later, they still keep sending me the same request for the same information. These people are a joke! I believe now that this is how Costco got their sweetheart deal with CITI: Deny every single claim until people drop it and pass those savings onto Costco. I tried to find out who in Costco to call or send a letter to but all I get is their CSRs telling me they'll forward my complaint. Yeah, right.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I'll try to make this as specific as possible. I paid for an online certification which included a physical item for using their program. Turns out the certificate is not recognized in my state (not mentioned on website), and I didn't receive the product that was paid for that is clearly paid for on the invoice. No tracking number was provided and 0 communication back from the merchant. I asked for my money back from the merchant via email, since the number had no answer. They didn't reply, so I went to Citi to ask for my refund, since they're supposed to offer buyer protection. Citi went in favor of the merchant in my complaint. Citi contacted merchant, citi cited that the merchant claimed that purchase is nonrefundable and the product was sent. The product never came, no attempt by the merchant was made to resend item, and I have a certificate for a state I don't live in. I feel like I was hustled by both the merchant and Citi. Money and time wasted.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Had a fifteen minute conversation on the phone in an attempt to close my account. Finally they said they would. I received an an email today stating that my account will remain open on my request. WTF. Desperate company that I would never do business with again.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I love the Citi Double Cash Card. All you do is charge something and pay for it and you get 2% cash back. You get 1% when you purchase and 1% when you pay. It is that simple. You get in for your online purchases just like you do for your instore purchases. Customer service is second to none.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I applied for CitiCard double cashback to accrue the extra 1% for purchase my other rewards plans didn't cover. I'm satisfied with that aspect of the card. I'm disappointed that customers incur a late fee if they pay their bill on their due date, but in a later time zone. While I understand that this is likely referenced in the fine print and I appreciate the first late fee waiver, this is an overly-punitive penalty and clearly a customer-unfriendly way to accrue profit. At least two of Citi's competitors with which I'm familiar with do not impose such a strict policy. Fortunately, this seems like an easy fix for Citi's management. My advice to them is to pursue a more liberal interpretation of the payment date.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have called 8 times in 90 days and examined to Citi that charges from Lyft are fraudulent on my card. They promised me 6 times that it would never happen so I finally called for the 7th time and canceled my business account after almost two decades and still after closing and after promising that I didn’t owe them one penny they still charged my checking account. There are several thousand worth of phony charges on my account and I finally gave up and told them I don’t care and I paid for it all. Now that CitiCard business is out of my life hopefully I would die from natural causes and not heart attack.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Ever wanted to make a Citibank credit card, until finally I had one, but the limit that I submitted was not approved as I want and after that I never opened or use the card for transactions, the fact that card activation process was directly from the Citibank side, its look like customer forced to do so? Okay after a while, and maybe 1 year or more, I want to close it. I called the Citibank CS Indonesia, the first thing I asked was "what is the reason I want to close the card?" Okay consider this is part of the administrative procedures. After a long period of wait, suddenly I connected to lady with a strict and direct speech, my request was rejected by her, but IDK who is she, maybe she is the head of CSR section or what, she explain to me why the card was rejected, and if there is a fee, then just call again next time. I can't refuse because the tone of the way she speaks is very strict and very dominant for me.

Okay finish this time I will follow you. Next. Annual fee has come, I have never used a Citibank credit card either, I call again to CS for close this card, I don’t want to be active or somethings again, finally it can be closed well, but I forgot to write down the complaint number and her name. Okay as the administration process is complete and successfully closed by phone speaking. But after the closing I still received a promotional e-mail, Annual fee bills by SMS, as a good and clean customer, I don't like this kind of things, so I make a call again to citibank, and the answer is, it's okay, you can just ignore the text and e-mail from us, you can start to cutting the card, and I ask again are you sure?? She said yes indeed, like that, just ignore mom.

After 2-3 months later, I've got calling again from cs Citibank, she said you still have a bill for annual fee, so now better if you immediately confirm again to Citibank, via phone or come directly to the office. I immediately called CS Citibank again, which I will outline with the fact that my cc is still not closed, the bank reports shows that there is “only a request” to close from customer, but there is no further confirmation. I'm like whats going on Citibank with your CS administration??? And today again make confirmation about the closing of the Citibank credit card from CS phone banking that I don't know is actually recorded on the system or not? And here are the details of my conversation on phone banking with 2 CS Citibank per day 5 May 2019 at 12.05pm - finished. With the condition of the card I have cut, I only receive promotional emails, and annual fee bills stating that the last 4 digits of the credit card ** are billed ** Rupiah.

Because I'm not a customer of Citibank again “on my mind”, I'm going to dial the operator button. After connecting I said I want to complain about whats going on here, but this Citiphone officer is like in a hurry and not trying listen to customer explanation first. I mean I know maybe your job is CS, I'm sure that you the best in this field, but if you haven't listen and already explained something that is totally absurd and doesn't answer our question, this will look really stupid right for Citiphone officer? What is she want to explain is she doesn’t now that I'm already don’t have number of the card, and she keep telling me and make sure if I'm still have a recorded if I'm still have email from Citibank. This is crazy I mean how did you know to answer and giving the best to your customer if you don’t try to listen first???

Original review: May 2, 2019

Every time I use the card, the fraud alert is triggered. I have spent at least 25 hours on hold in the past 6 months. I have logged in multiple times. I am the primary cardholder, not my husband. Nonetheless, even though I had 39,000 of available credit, I was unable to make a purchase at Target. I spent 20 minutes with Citibank and the 29 m minutes with Citibank fraud department.

Despite having had the same cell number for 19 years, they claim to be unable to verify my number. This is also despite my having logged into the account (which is password and double-security protected) on multiple occasions to "make sure" the number was correctly entered (WHICH IT WAS!) and requesting that text messages be sent to my number to approve any questionable account. It still did not work. I had to stand in Target for nearly an HOUR to use their crap card.

The phone people are 100% incompetent and told me they did not care if I cancelled the account. NICE. I use the card for business and charged approx. 150,000 on it last year. I guess that's not important to Citibank. I wish Costco would go back to a company that had GOOD service. Good would be 10 steps up for the crap that Citibank provides. I will be using another Visa at Costco. Not the Citibank, even though I will lose the rebate. It is NOT WORTH the money to be treated this way. I hate them.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I called Citibank to update my address and to pay my full balance in November 2018. I had not used the card since then and it expired few months later. This week, I was informed that I had an unpaid balance and several $29 late fees. After talking to them, it appears that there was a small transaction that came through after I paid the full balance. And it appears their employee mistyped my zip code. Therefore I never received any statements. Again, having not used the card again and since it expired, I was not questioning lack of statements.

Apparently they also sent out a new card after expiration to whomever got it since it never came to me. But despite the zip code being their mistake and me having ZERO ways of knowing I had a small balance that was taking on several months of fees, they won't waive them. This should be illegal. The customer service person was a jerk that kept "Ma'am'ing" me in a very obnoxious way but refusing to remove fees that are not my fault. He also refused to agree to send me the bill via mail but kept saying I had to pay it right then and give them my routing number, etc. which I did not have at hand. The whole thing was terrible and frankly again should be illegal to charge me fees based on their error.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This credit card company has unprofessional and worse customer service representatives trained only to collect money from the customers along with their system. I have been charged interest two months after I closed my account and a late fees for it without me even knowing about it, and they refused to take the charges out and reported it to Credit B as a late payment. It’s the biggest mistake to have a credit card with them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My humble opinion and I believe the following: what a disgrace and I will never use another Citibank for banking or credit cards. They have failed me twice to protect my best interest to assist in credit card dispute. I will NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR do any banking with Citibank. I waste minutes going through user prompts to get hung up on then next call to Philippines where person I can't understand their bad English besides all the background noise. Then told they can't stop a merchant from charging my credit card in the future unless I change to a new account number and card.

I can see why years ago Citibank needed to be bailed out by taxpayers and was about a $2 stock. They refused to prorate a membership I joined for 6 months that I canceled right away and claiming it's the merchant's terms and conditions. Wow they have failed me in so many ways. Another dispute they failed to assist me at a Hilton Hotel on a Costco Citibank credit card. Also I opened a bank account. Met all the terms and conditions and had a difficult time getting my bonus after contacting management. I will be selling my Citibank stock and never open a Citibank credit card or bank account again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have had their cards since 2014 and have always paid on time. My credit is excellent. I received a notice that my account was overdue. I called Citicard and was told I had enrolled in paperless! I DID NOT. They insisted I did so I spoke to a supervisor and was told the same thing. I brought my account up to date and told them I was disputing this. My credit score went down 118 points. They speak to you from a script and just keep repeating lies. I explained I never switched to paperless and wanted them to contact the credit bureau and tell them I am disputing this. Today I received a letter from the supervisor stating I can disputing all I want but they have reported to the credit bureau that what they reported is correct and WILL NOT be changed no matter what do. Please, please, please don't ever apply for a CitiCard... They are lying, sneaking jerks.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've had a Citi credit card for 11 years, and the last year has been AWFUL. It started when they were supposed to send a replacement for my expiring card and never did. Then when it finally arrived (after numerous calls), they sent an extra card. Then two days after receiving my new card there were "fraudulent charges" (on a brand new card???) so they they canceled my card and sent another one out. The fraud charges were transferred to my new card?! They're the ones who contacted ME about the fraud charges, and I was told those charges would be "under investigation" and credited back. And they would could back to me in 7 days.

Fast forward 4 MONTHS later and too many calls, the charges are STILL on my card and now they're trying to tell me the payments never posted. They want me to 'prove' to them they were posted. I have messages from them saying the charges posted and they will refund me, but to "please be patient." I have now paid for fraud charges I won't be reimbursed for because I have no other way to "prove" to them, other than the statement and messages that SHOW/PROVE the charges posted. I am canceling my card and will never get another Citi card ever again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My 95 year-old mother makes most of her charges on a Citibank American Airlines Mastercard. I pay her bills because she has both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. Imagine my surprise when I found out her account was "past due," but we weren't receiving any invoices. After hours of probing, I discovered that Citibank, without checking with anyone, decided to DECLARE MY LIVING MOTHER DEAD! Her account was turned over to an agency that handles deceased individuals and the next thing I knew, her credit card was being rejected with all her normal merchants.

I tried calling Citibank Customer Service, but they insisted on referring me to the agency that handles deceased individuals. Of course, they couldn't help if my mother was alive, so I called Citibank back hoping for some real human help. Then I discovered that Citibank believes that people West of New York City all stop doing business at 4 PM New York time.

If you are any consumer, much less an older consumer, I would warn you that Citibank is the least consumer-friendly Financial Services Company that I have ever worked with, including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Fidelity, Vanguard, American Express, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Charles Schwab, or any issuer of Visa, or Mastercards that I have ever worked with - and those are just some of the largest national firms. I would also trust my local bank more than I would ever trust Citibank Credit Cards. Citibank's Credit Card Division couldn't be less consumer-friendly, competent, or trustworthy. If that doesn't make you nervous about opening a Citibank Credit Card, I don't know what will!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Benefits are a joke. If you have something you just bought stolen, forget about them replacing it. They will find an excuse why they should not. American Exp. is much better card, and they do what they say. Too bad Costco changed.

CitiCard Company Information