1.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1278 CitiCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I opened a dispute in late Nov 2018 regarding a charge in my Citi Visa (through Costco) for the amount of $63.13. A week late, I realized that I had made an error in filing the dispute and called the Citi Visa company to cancel the dispute. In a few hours, I received an email titled "your account dispute has been resolved". I only found out a week later that instead of cancelling the dispute, they credit my account with $63.13, totally opposite to what I had told them to do. As a result, my account with the merchant was inactivated.

This was when the real nightmare began with the Citi Visa company. I called multiple times to the customer service and the dispute department to make sure that the dispute should be canceled and I requested an email from them to confirm the cancellation. The first time, I was promised that an email would be sent to me in 30 sec to confirm the dispute cancellation. I waited for 6 days and no email came in. I called again and was told that email was sent and they would send again and then I got disconnected. I called back the next day, this time I was told by a supervisor named Gloria in the dispute department that no email was ever sent to me and it will take the company 7-10 business days to send me a letter.

When I told her that this is not acceptable since the merchant will not reactivate my account until they see a proof of dispute cancellation and I wanted to speak to her boss, she transferred me to a person named Josh. I told Josh that the only thing I needed was a simple, one line email to confirm my dispute cancellation, like the way they communicated with me numerous times in the past. Guess what Josh said? He said they did not and could not communicate with me via email. Instead, it will take them 7-10 days to write a letter and the letter has to go through the legal dept before they can send it to me.

When I questioned about the cancellation email promised to me in 30 secs 6 days ago and the confirmation that the email had been sent and would be sent again when I called the night before, he ignored my questions and sounded like a robot by repeating over and over again "we can't send email. It will take us 7-10 days and it has to go through legal". I find the dispute dept at Citi Visa totally incompetent. I regret that Costco signed up the credit card deal with them since I have been a member at Costco for over 30 years and have been through Discover Card and American Express and have never had such a poor customer experience with a credit care company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Whenever I can CitiCard I am forced to listen to a multitude of "choices" that have nothing to do with why I am calling. I am forced to lie so that I can speak to a living person. If I am honest in my replies to the automated system, it tells me my request is not understood or makes suggestions about things I do not care about - which will send me to another automated response. Saying "NO!" to a suggestion or being honest eventually causes the system to abruptly hang-up. This happened to me 4X today!!! Before I lied my way to a live person. All I wanted was a mailing address. The automated response rattled off 10 PO box numbers in such rapid order that I was not sure I had heard them correctly.

When I did finally get a live person, she very kindly gave me a mailing address - which is quite different from the one posted on their website (which is the same as the one I think I garnered after listening to the computer generated address at least six times). CitiBank makes plenty of money off of live beings using their cards - we should have access to live customer service representatives when we need them AND not be forced to be shot down by a very limited automated menu! I'm going to get a new card with VISA - I never have problems using my debit card that is thru VISA. Getting to a real person is quite easy when I need VISA help. Goodbye CitiCard!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I called Citi before I booked my flight to make sure that I would receive the $250 statement credit they advertised. I was told that I would get the credit. I did not. I called them to file a dispute. I got a letter stating that the statement credit was only for flights and I didn't qualify. As this makes no sense, I called them. They argued with me saying that was never an offer. Then I spoke with a supervisor, then a senior account rep. The senior account rep said that I needed proof of the offer. I said that I was probably going to cancel my account. She went ahead and cancelled my account without my permission after I got off the phone. I wouldn't mind so much except that I'm not going to get the travel benefits like first bag checked free. This company has gone out of their way to screw me over. I've had another Citi card for many years. I cancelled that one too. I'm never using them again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have signed up for Citi e-billing that put me in a disadvantage of having printed copies purchase commission Citi signed up with Costco, usually comes with the February bill a print copy of yearly earned rewards - as a certificate. If I haven't signed up for Citi e-billing, my Costco 2018 reward certificate for $214.92 would have had come with February 2018 print statement. I would, never have had missed it. This is my hard earned commission of my purchases throughout the year of 2018 (I make a point here: this not a gift certificate). The following e-mail with the link to print a new certificate, and the letter about requesting a copy of the certificate by phone is misleading. Since it never fulfilled the request.

The following is the copy from the e-mail, I have received a word to word: "Misplaced your certificate? You can request a new one on the Citi Mobile® App** or Citi®, Online. Request a new certificate." ► (This link was taken away didn't lead to the certificate)" This is the age of data, the companies can unearth data from ages, it is not that, CITI cannot check, a consumer redeemed their reward or not? To assign a legitimate commission-reward copy certificate to the customer if the consumer didn't redeem their commission.

This is the classic practice of credit card companies taking advantage of customers. If it is the other way around, if a consumer owe 214.92 to the CITI, it would have expired in any chance ever, no matter how many years lapsed? I don't think so. Why CITI has the right to steal from the consumer, they owe to the customer? I believe this is certainly a case for consumer protection agency to take a look. It is purely taking advantage of consumer to not to pay their earned commission back. I am also going to complain about this to Costco management, they should never have opted for CITI instead of American Express in the first place. By the way, e-billing should not disadvantage the customer. If I never opted out of print billing, I wouldn't have had lost my purchase commission. CITI would not be able to take the link off to print the certificate.

I have called the CITI customer service and tried to access the link as suggested in the e-mail, but in vain. Of course it is designed to take advantage of customers. The customer service supervisor said, word to word: Since this is a lot of money, she cannot re-issue the certificate. If this is a lot of money for a company like CITI, imagine the scale for an individual customer!! How this product is designed to take advantage from the customers. For the record, I called the Citi customer service on 1/8/2019 afternoon, to activate the link to print my reward (commission) certificate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I opened up a Citi Simplicity card to take advantage of the 0% interest for 18 months to transfer a balance. I have been paying my balance down every month on time and decided to put several charges on my card to purchase profit sharing packages from an online advertising company. I was suppose to receive a certain amount of money every month for 12 months and didn't receive one. It was services purchased but not delivered as described. The representative I first talked to put the charges through as fraud which was incorrect but 2 of the packages I purchased I did receive a permanent credit. Square disputed one of my packages I purchased and said it was a valid charge.

After sending in my documentation and even an email the admin had sent saying we would receive a refund if anything happened to the program that wasn't good enough for them. My claim was denied and another rep re-opened it and put the charge as services purchased but not delivered. I received communication in my back office at Citi 10 days later that they "may" give me a refund if I can send in documentation that the admin will give us a refund which I did. I sent the email in on Dec. 29th and I received another communication in my back office on Jan. 1 that the timeframe has now passed for my dispute and they closed the case. They evidently didn't read my email I sent them with documentation from the admin that I would receive a refund or they just decided to close case without investigating. I never had this much trouble before with any dispute and made numerous calls to the dispute department without any satisfaction.

I had purchased 10 other revenue sharing packages with this merchant and had put them on 5 different Chase cards and they all have had permanent credits issued for the last month or two. My experience with Citi vs. Chase is like day and night. Only 1 phone call was necessary with Chase and they collected the information in a concerned professional matter and it was resolved quickly. I felt like Chase was on my side which is just the opposite of what I feel with Citi. Also the customer service reps at all 5 of my Chase cards were personable, efficient and provided excellent customer service. I'll be calling a supervisor tomorrow at Citi and dealing exclusively with them from now on, but if my issue doesn't get resolved and my account doesn't get credited I've learned my lesson. Only use Citi as a 0% balance transfer and don't make any purchases with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Very disappointing!! I have been a loyal customer with excellent credit for over 12 years, paying the full amount for every statement since that time. I lost my job in June 2018 and booked a vacation for October 2018 prior to the job loss in May. Not only did I lose my job but was unable to afford the vacation. Luckily, I was able to cancel the hotel but was unable to obtain a refund for the flight. I had travelers insurance for the flight but this could only be processed for illness not lost wages due to an unforeseen job loss.

Asked Citicard to reimburse me for the flight. Was happy to have that completed last month only to find out they reversed the charges the day before Christmas. Why would you do this to a loyal customer before your “investigation” is complete? I had made future financial decisions based on having Citicard reimburse me for the loss. I would have been much better prepared financially had you waited until the investigation was complete. So sad, because I will be cancelling my card by this month’s end. You have alienated a loyal paying customer with an 850 credit score. Thanks Citicard for making an unforgettable holiday for my family!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I had a Citi AAdvantage card for over 30 years. Last September when I received my renewal with $95 fee, I called to cancel the card. The next day, I realized that this would have an adverse impact on my and my adult kids' (who also had cards from this account) credit score. I called back and asked if they could reopen the account. An agent told me that I could have in fact, migrated my account to a card with no fee and keep my credit history. This seemed ideal. I was told that they would need to check my credit to issue the card. This seemed absurd since they had been offering to renew my card just the day before and I've been a customer for many decades - plus I have great credit.

Anyhow - 10 days later I received a letter saying I was denied because my Experian had a freeze on it. I lifted the freeze and called them back. Another cycle and they again refused me saying the Experian was froze - which it wasn't. Then I got a mailer for the very card I was applying for so I applied with the code and of course, I was granted the card. Then I tried on multiple occasions to get to a human who could connect my long credit card history with this new card. It doesn't seem like an extreme request since it's the same company, I am the same person and one of their agents said it would be possible. Then I received a letter telling me that it was not possible because too much time had lapsed between my request and the account closure. I ACTUALLY MADE THE REQUEST WITHIN 24 HOURS!!!

Most recently, I played a week of phone tag with a senior account manager in customer service who I dared to believe was reaching out to rectify what had been a horrendous experience. Instead when we finally did connect in real time, he essentially told me that he had reviewed the situation carefully and there was nothing that could be done. I have wasted many aggravating hours trying to rectify what could/should have been a straightforward request to keep me as a customer. I would also like to add that I have had super good customer service at their competitors - Chase and Amex. No more dealing with Citicard!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My most recent experience was a dispute involving Excalibur Moving Company out of Florida. After paying a deposit of over $2000.00 I was shocked to find out I had been scammed!!! I immediately disputed the charges with Costco Citi CC and here I am three months later, the dispute has not been resolved. I get little if any communication back from Costco Citi CC, I have had to do all of my own investigation into the moving company... And forward everything to Costco Citi CC... nonexistent dispute department.

One of the main reasons I use a CC is for the protection it offers me against scams such as this. I regularly use US Bank and have never had any issues where fraudulent use of my credit card/disputes are not immediately resolved in a professional manner. I have now resigned myself to the fact that I will have to head to court on this one. If you are looking for a credit card that has your back... COSTCO CITI CC IS NOT THE CARD FOR YOU!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I always pay my charges off each month, and even round the amount up. I messed up in November, paying $1100 instead of the $1106 required. I have been charged interest on all charges in November & December. For a $6 mistake I have paid $20 in interest. Costco needs to leave them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I am a Costco member for last 25 years. For many year after joining it was only membership card required to be a member, Then after Price Club - which changed after years name to Costco - introduced American Express card to use also as membership card. Over the years I had never had any kind of problem with that credit card or membership.

Some three years ago Costco chose to switch to CITI Visa card / which is the worst card in Customer Affairs reviews records - available online/and then in a little while problems started. In mid of October City Visa notified me that series fraud suspected charges where noticed by their early Fraud Detection department, on my City Visa credit card. Two of those charges were - I was told - originated from Justice Women's Clothing store online. They were: $220.93 and 225.89 from the same date. Since I never ordered anything from them I denied both charges.

In about 8 days after I received two envelopes, each containing 1 children’s clothing item . In one envelope there were children’s cargo leggings - size 8, with Justice logo price tag $29.90 and invoice - in that envelope - for that item in amount of - $220.93!? The second envelope contained children’s “Bow back top” - size 10, with Justice logo price tag in amount of $19.90 and invoice in amount of $225.89 for that single item!? There was nothing else shipped or listed In those invoices, to justify charged price of each envelope content in excess of over $200.00.

In a few weeks both charges - in mentioned amounts - were placed onto my Costco Visa credit card, to be paid by me as reversed charges! The next day as I saw those fraudulent charges on my account I called Citi Visa and spoke to their reps Tiera, Tina, Felicia and Juby. I was switched to - so called - "Investigation Department" and spoke twice to Mathew and one time to Steven. Both of them hanged up on me when I questioned their ability to conduct investigation properly, for in my eyes it does not even follow logical steps. I told them that their decision - in favor of Justice - should not be based only on proof of shipment.

They also should ask Justice for a copy of email - Justice should have sent to me - confirming my order, with list and prices of goods -sold to me - which make that total price. I also told them that routinely, online sellers, besides order confirmation, send to buyer an email, with trucking # and Citi Visa should ask Justice to provide copy of that email to Citi Visa. Justice can not supply any of those emails to them, since it is made up purchase.

Their scam is based on high charge amount and trucking #, to proof, that there was a shipment made - they ship a 'lollipop' and get a few hundred of dollars, proving to ** Citi Visa "investigators" that shipment was made. Someone who put that single item in that small envelope - who works for Justice - and then after put into it invoice for $220 +, knew very well that it is a scam. It is a very common scam on eBay by Chinese sellers, but eBay accepts hard proofs of scam /photos and scans/ and makes refunds to buyers for example seeing small envelope with the tracking number provided claiming that a mink fur was shipped in that tiny envelope.

I also offered to Citi Visa 'investigators' hard proofs , to prove it is a scam, by sending Citi Visa copies of shipping labels, attached to those small bubble envelopes, and pictures of shipped items. I was told that Visa “investigators” know what they are doing and besides that, CITI Visa system does not take any email attachment files. CITI Visa "investigators" feel that they can hang up on callers, without any penalty - as they feel like it - as nobody can punished them for their actions. They are so much in charge doing it, that I get impression that those actions are part of their Citi Visa job training. Though it is unfair to Citi Visa customers, from credit card point it is OK - when there is charge they get their portion of that money and that is only what counts. I would not be surprised if City Visa turned out to be a fake for there’s something fishy about them in my opinion.

Since - I can see online - cases /like mine/regarding City Visa improper conduct and procedures online fraud investigations are very common, they should become a subject of investigation of Attorney General Office themselves. In the mean time I intend to close that Citi Visa credit card account and may be give up on Costco membership as I feel they got associated with crooks. I will stick to BJ’s and Sam’s clubs whose memberships I also have.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Called Citibank on disputed charge. Citi contact Ed merchant who said it was valid. Citi takes merchants reply and put charge back on my account and starts charging interest. Filled out all the forms sent to me over 6 months and still have the charge on my account. Citi has done zero to investigate. They say that the merchant's reply is that it was delivered. No matter how many times I tell them it was not ordered by me or delivered to me, they just read the same answer from their script. Customer service was willing to have me cancel my card and lose me as a customer but not willing to refer me to someone who could help me. Zero escalation help. They just don’t care anymore about the individual consumer. I am just one person and they prefer to take the merchant's view with no investigation. Not sure who cares at Citi. Service is lower than ALL companies I have worked within 30 years.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Worse customer service from Citigroup ever. I called the customer service center to get my pin number to make a credit card payment through the Atm machine and the said that they can send it to me in seven day. I asked to talked to the supervisor to tell him about the inconvenience of that and Jenny the customer service representative stated that there's nobody in the building that can help me to go to my local branch and complain and hang up the phone. Super Unprofessional...

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am a current customer for years with Citibank and just had my first fraudulent charge. I was lied to, I had a rep posing as a manager after escalated and then a nasty woman with a bad attitude thereafter. I had the first person tell me that my charge wouldn't qualify as a charge-back. Mind you, I live in the Midwest and the charge was done in Russia. I can tell by the questions that were asked he wasn't really trying to work with me. Then, I asked for a sup (which took a long time to get), then this man came on there acting like a supervisor. He showed no empathy in what has occurred with my account and didn't even start the process of protecting the rest of the account (neither did the rep before him). He kept wanting to get me off the phone and tell me just any story, so I asked for another supervisor. "I am the only supervisor here in the center," is what he told me.

My flags are up at this point because I work in a call center for a living and this I know for sure isn't true. My next request was for someone with less accent. This is when the next "English speaking sup" came on the line. She was very, very nasty. "What can I do for you?" "I hear you are disputing some activities on the account." The conversation continue in a very condescending tone. I stopped her and I addressed her professionalism, empathy, her role as a manager, lack of concern and definitely not apologetic as to what has happened.

This is when I learned the rep before her was not a supervisor. I continue to ask the same question for her to confirm again that the rep was posing as a supervisor (this is who we have over our hard earned money). She assured me a complaint was going to place with the company for the false representation, she then advised that the other two reps had not blocked my card or taken any other initiative to make sure my account was protected. This is where trust, integrity and professionalism ends with me as a consumer.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Opened a Citi Visa card in January. Received one statement in the mail, then never received another statement again, until a notice from collections came in the mail. Customer service of no assistance whatsoever. Only wants to collect money, and as much of it as possible without any kind of notice to customers and without any consideration of customer concerns. Spare yourself the hassle and do not open a Citi card, because Citi prefers to bill its customers through collections rather than through paper or emailed statements every month. Beyond extremely dissatisfied and not even deserving of a single star, should receive a 0-star rating.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The absolute worst credit card I have ever had - not because of high interest rates or annual fees or anything, but because from the get-go I was routed to the fraud department without ever having made a purchase. I opened this card to do a balance transfer for 18 months at 0%. I had a very important question about how the balance transfer worked (do I write myself the check or the credit card I’m paying off, because the instructions from Citi said to write the check to me). Not a single person I spoke to would talk to me because I didn’t have a landline to verify I am who I am. It’s almost 2019 and I’m a millennial - who the hell has a landline (go on old people and laugh at this statement ;-)). I set up security questions when I registered my card. Why couldn’t they ask me those? I provided my full credit card number, last four social, address, etc.

Now, I’m receiving two to three emails a day from them saying how I need to call them to even authorize my card to be used in my Apple Wallet (another absurd rule by Citibank when all other major credit cards that I use simply do a two step verification and text you a security code to your CELL PHONE). I’m literally livid at how Citi treats its customers. I’m on a timeline to make this balance transfer and wanted to ensure I was doing it right, but literally have to wait for a letter to be snail mailed to me because they do not believe I am the cardholder. It’s insane. Steer clear of this card and use Chase or Discover. Customer service is everything and Citi falls flat on its face. Can’t wait to cancel this card.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had been a Business Credit Card holder for many years. The card was the CitiBusiness with American Airlines AAdvantage Mileage Program. Due to lack of use, I called to cancel the card. My wife had paid the Annual Fee of $99. On 10/10/2018, which was 54 days, prior to the date I was cancelling the card. (12/03/2018). Both the Supervisor and her Subordinate refused to refund any portion of the Annual Fee that was paid. However, they did Cancel my Paid CitiBusiness Credit Card. I lost $99.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We experienced the same situation as Eileen. We pay all our bills on time. This was a replacement card for a lost one. They say we signed up online which we did not do. We never signed up for email statements and we only received one email notifying us the first statement was available online which we accidentally missed paying. We never received any of the next months statement emails after that one so we did not know we were past due.

6 months later they are charging us exorbitant late fees with no notice and on top of it, they reported it and now it has damaged our credit rating. They refuse to give us any credit and closed the account with no notice. They say they sent us communication of it such as calling all the numbers on our account. We have not received a single phone call on three phone numbers. IF I could give negative stars I would give 5 of them. Banks should not be able to do this to consumers! Costco Anywhere Visa by Citibank is FRAUDULENT!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I posted the following review on Yelp concerning the Home Depot-Citibank credit card: WARNING: I live in MA. I got absolutely pressured into opening a second Home Depot credit card in order to save 15% on a $90 purchase. The cashier said it would help her and her family. I already had a HD credit card. I didn't really want another HD credit card, but I felt shamed into opening it with two other customers standing behind me.

Then, a couple months later, I closed this new account after making a full payment on the balanced owed. Then, four months later, I received a letter from a collection agency saying I owed $371 to Home Depot on this closed account. WHAT?!!? I contested this in writing to both Home Depot and Citibank. They did nothing. NOTHING! Now, thanks to Home Depot and Citibank I have a big ding on my credit history. I'm a working slob trying to get by; I make < $35K. I pay my bills. I got screwed by these guys after being a valued customer for years. DO NOT DEAL WITH CITIBANK OR HOME DEPOT! THEY ARE CONSUMER PREDATORS!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I received a credit card promotion in the mail from Citicard offering a 0% APR for a year which I accepted. They accepted my application (I believe I went online to apply) and I received my card. I had no plans to use the card except for emergency purposes. I ended up using the card a couple months later for an unexpected repair bill.

Recently I went online to view my statement and noticed I didn’t have a 0% APR. I called customer service and experienced the worst unprofessional people I’ve ever talked with.The first one insisted I give her the activation code I received when I sent in my application. I told her it had been a few months ago and I did not keep that piece of advertising. She eventually transferred me to another department because she claimed she had no access to applications. Well, I was transferred to another surly person who repeated the same thing to me and once again transferred me to another dept who handles applications. This next person basically repeated again the same things. Was I livid? Yes! They were inept, and unprofessional. One told me if I didn’t have the activation code I could just be lying.

This shows you the quality of people they deal with and assume we’re all alike. I got transferred to another person who was no better. He mumbled and told me he saw nothing that indicated I should get a 0% APR. But he could offer me a 0% APR on a balance transfer as a courtesy. I asked him why would I want that when they can’t even honor their advertising. I had no problems when I received a 0% APR promotion in the mail from Discover and they followed through after I applied. That’s how business should be. I am done with Citicard for their juvenile customer service that treats people like crooks and their deceptive advertising. They are completely unethical.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Their customer service never provides an honest answer to a problem or question. My card was compromised and had to obtain a new card, which was supposed to be sent overnight to me, which never happened. I have several other credit cards so normally this would not normally have been a problem. However, I have approximately 10 auto payments deducted every month on this card, which I explained to the customer rep. The customer rep assured me I would have the new card the next day or at the latest the following day, which did not happen.

Three days later I called customer service back (as always, I get a customer rep in India that gives me a number of explanations as to why the card was delayed). However, the rep said my new card would arrive that day, which it did not!!! It is now 6 days since Citi customer service told me my replacement card would overnight to me. Since it's approaching the end of the month I have to change the auto payments to another credit card.

This is not the first time I have had problems with Citi MasterCard. In the summer they sent out notices they were changing from Citi Visa to Citi MasterCard and the transition would be smooth, which it was nowhere near the truth. We couldn't log in to our account for weeks during the transition and pay our bill or review charges. We finally had to pay over the phone. Secondly, we now only have access to monthly statements online from July 2018. All the Visa monthly statements are no longer available online. My accountant needed my 2017 annual statement and monthly statements. Therefore, I had to call Citi customer service and I was informed they would have to mail me copies, which I would receive in 7 to 10 business days.

You guessed it. The monthly statements never came. I had to call back several more times regarding the statements and finally after 4 weeks finally received the statements in the mail. The only reason I had the Citi Visa in the first place was we had a Citibank checking account. However, in 2016 we received a letter from Citi informing us they were closing all of their branch locations in Massachusetts. Obviously, we had to change banks!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Complaint Type: Consumer to Business Complaint. Nature of complaint: Billing or Collection Issues. Problem description: I have had CitiBank Credit card since 1993. I am now a personal Elite member and when I got my new business early this year I got a Platinum Small Business card. When I applied I told them my Tax ID number was pending and applied with my SSN. When I got my TIN, I called back to update my information, Citi sent me a paper form to fill out which I sent back with updated/new TIN and wrote a short explanation.

Upon receiving my letter, without notice, Citi closed my account for "new Tax ID" number. I already met promotion requirement (spent $6000 for $4000 in 3 months for 75,000 mile promotion). In addition, due to 3 month early CC closure, credit inquiry to re-open my account and to get a new AMEX card (2 inquiries and 1 early closure in one day) dropped my perfect credit score from 850 to 835. All my credit cards I've had since 1990's and never closed an account or missed a payment. One of the supervisors called me asking me to re-open my account since they made a mistake, so I calmed down and agreed to let them reverse "all the mistakes" made. That was 11/15th and I have gotten no response from anyone, called 3 times and will continue to call.

I will list desired outcome below not to be reductive. Desired Resolution: Contact by the business. Desired Outcome 1. I would like my credit card re-opened. 2. I would like to get my 75,000 miles promotion which I met. 3. I would like Citi to contact Credit bureau and take off "early account" closure off my reporting. 4. I would like a response from corporate and/or supervisor to rectify the mistake they made for which I had to suffer BOTH personal and business harm.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We applied for this card specifically for use at Costco. We have always paid our balances on time, and in full. CitiCards claim that we applied for paperless statements that we NEVER did. We have not received any invoices paperless, or otherwise in a month or two. When we recently went to Costco, our card was denied. We made 3-4 calls to customer service, and they were of no help, at all. And now they want us to pay a late fee? Again, no invoices were received whatsoever. If we were able to leave 0 stars, we would. Have every intention of not dealing with this company again. TERRIBLE.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Last year Citibank was offering what I thought was a pretty good balance-transfer deal, so I applied for a card. They approved me, with the smallest credit-limit I've ever received - less than half of my next smallest limit, and less than 10% of my largest credit limit (and this includes a different credit-card I started using two months ago) - so I wasn't able to transfer much, but I did what I could.

Since it is my smallest credit-card limit, and I've had it over a year now (the zero-balance rate is about to expire), I decided to pay it off with a new balance-transfer card from a different institution. I originally asked for the transfer on 10/19/2018, which was approved by the other institution on 10/23/2018. But, as of 11/2/2018, it still had not been applied to the Citibank credit-card, so I called both institutions to find out why. Apparently, Citibank refused an electronic transfer from the other institution, so a check had to be mailed. Ok, whatever. As of 11/09/2018, the check had not yet arrived. But, apparently they received it on 11/10/2018 - they sent me an email saying it had arrived and had been applied, and my available credit went up by the transfer amount. OK, it took MUCH longer than expected, but everything finally looks good, except...

Although my available credit went up by the transfer amount, my balance ALSO went up by the transfer amount - my current balance, plus my available credit amount, now exceeds my total credit-limit by the amount of the transfer - yet when you look at the spending details since the last statement, the detail listing shows I've spent just over $300, but the summary list says I've spent just over $300 PLUS the amount of the transfer. So, somehow, they applied the balance-transfer payment as a debit, although my available credit did go up by the transfer amount.

The real trouble started when I tried to call and find out what was going on (I first tried the Chat feature on their web-page but the person on the other end had no idea what they were doing, had no customer-service skills, and couldn't answer any questions, so I then called their 800-number instead). Before they could review my account, they needed to verify who I was, and they asked for my code-word. Although I use code-words with other institutions, I've never given Citibank a code word; nor did they ever ask for a code-word when I called them the first time to find out why the balance-transfer hadn't been applied yet (I was rather upset that a check had to be mailed instead of an electronic transfer, so did an employee apply a code-word out of spite?).

They kept insisting that my code-word was a pet's name that began with a specific letter of the alphabet. Other than aquariums - and no, I don't name my fish - I haven't owned a pet in over 30 years, and never had a pet whose name started with that specific letter of the alphabet, so where that code-name came from, I have no idea. What code-words I do use are always ex-girlfriend's names that has some relation to either the institution itself or to the time-frame of when I started using the institution. And, I have never had a girlfriend whose name began with that specific letter of the alphabet.

So, since they couldn't verify me by a (non-existent) code-word, they asked for a phone number instead so they could send a text for verification purposes. I gave them the same phone number that's on the account, which is the same phone-number that they send me twice-weekly automated texts about my balances, yet they said their system wouldn't "accept" that phone number. So, I had to wait and talk to an account-rep before we could continue.

I was on hold for over 20 minutes (thank God for speaker phones!) before the customer-service rep and the account rep both came back on-line (although there were many times I heard clicks as if someone was checking the line to see if I had hung up), and the account-rep was finally able to verify my identity using the recent payment methods I had used. Finally, we're getting somewhere! Except...

The first thing I tried to do was find out what my code-word was - they refused to tell me, but they did ask if I wanted to changed it. Of course I did! When I tried to change it to "I hate Citibank", they told me it has to be less than ten characters, so I asked to change it to "CancelCard", which apparently they couldn't understand because they kept trying to spell as "B-I-N-something". When the customer-service rep finally got it (correctly) changed, I could hear the account-rep in the background tell the customer-service rep, "just cancel the card and hang-up on him". Of course, I got upset! I told them I didn't want to cancel the card, I just wanted that to be my code-word, since it was going to be something (really!) easy to remember.

At this point, the account rep and I started arguing about the service I was receiving, and I ended up I hanging up on them out of frustration, never having found out what happened to the balance-transfer. When I then tried to log back in through their web-portal, I immediately get a message saying, "There is a fraud alert on your account - you must call Customer Service before continuing. Really?!? At this point, I have "canceled" the card myself by cutting it in half. We'll see if the balance-transfer gets applied (my next step is to file a complaint with the CFPB), and I will simply pay-off the remainder of the balance due, then never use the card again!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I started using this card in 1984 and have never seen such poor service in all my life starting this year. Three weeks ago they declined a transaction I tried to put through without any explanation. I called them and verified the transaction but they claimed I had to wait to receive a letter from them before they could reactivate the card. Since I live overseas the card would remained blocked for over two weeks.

All attempts to communicate and find a specific explanation and solution were refused by their Indian staff using the same buzz phrases. "There are no options, I am not able to verify, I don't have access, my supervisor will call you back, you will receive a letter explaining..." Repeated over and over! After my fourth phone call to another agent, I finally reached someone who unblocked the card. However I was not able to reprocess my transaction which was a birthday present for my wife as the time spent to resolve the issue went way past the closing time for the store.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I erroneously sent a large payment to Citibank which I owed to another credit card company. When I first called their customer service I was connected to an individual who had a very weak command of the English language. He informed me that he could do nothing about it and that I would have to visit the bank in person. I live in Utah and there are no Citibank branches in the state. I called again was asked all the information again and was told a balance transfer would go back to my account in 3 to 5 business days. That time came and went with no refund. When I called again I was told it would require another 10-14 business days to research my account. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it would take up to 48 hours for that to happen. This company fails at the basics of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have call to dispute a charge. The so call female manager was very rude, I hang up on this so call manager, call again. What do I get? Not friendly person or so call manager. I have never CC company without any compassion for their customer, totally rude, no sympathy in their voice, totally rude, careless on their tone of voice. Just cold heart dispute and manager. Citibank don't have customer services they need. I am going to continue to fight and fight, until they do something about their customer.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My last billing statement came with no return envelope. I called customer service to make sure I got them in the future, and was told they are no longer providing them! I was also told the address on the billing statement is wrong and was given a different address to send my payment to. I asked what would have happened if I had printed my own envelope and sent it to the address on the statement, and was told it would have been returned to me! So it looks like they are trying to force people into online payments with no notice, and trying to collect late payment fees.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Citicard customer service is the biggest bunch of lying and inept people on the planet. THEY ARE OF ABSOLUTELY NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER. Called several times when charges were denied and they couldn't verify my account. Told me to hang up on several occasions and they would call me right back to verify my account. Be sure to leave your line open they said... no callbacks ever came. According to them, they couldn't even open my account to look at! Waiting on a letter from them for over a week! Can't charge til then. Ever since Citi saw that I make large purchases and pay off my balance every month they don't like paying out those 2% rewards they promise.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I recently applied for a balance transfer credit card with CITI. I was rejected as CITI states I have a history of late payments. This is ridiculous. I've made every payment to CITI on my previous credit cards and Mortgage. I review my credit history and it shows 00% across the board. My wife and I were recently thinking about a REFI with CITI, but decided against it as CITIBANK was using an appraisal from 2008 on our home which was exactly the same as the initial appraisal when we purchased the house.

When I discussed this with the lending manager, he stated the appraiser did a drive-by - how can you appraise a home with a drive-by. I asked to see the report as I doubted its accuracy and the manager said I'd have to pay for it. This is ludicrous. Now, I think that manager put something negative in my file and I am look to involve my attorney. CITI used to be great, but they have gotten rather underhanded in their dealings with individual consumers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We are very disappointed with Citicard's customer service performance. If you have a dispute, they will side with the merchant. They do not care if you are a good customer with excellent record. We are Costco customers since they opened in Yakima, WA. With American Express we never have a problem, Citicard is terrible. I am starting to buy less in Costco so I won’t utilize the Citicard. I don’t know why Costco entrusted their clients with this terrible Card service. We know we are just a drop in the ocean of corporate transactions, but maybe if we complain enough we will have a voice.

CitiCard Company Information