Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.58/5
Based on 1,021 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1310 CitiCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2019

I'll try to make this as specific as possible. I paid for an online certification which included a physical item for using their program. Turns out the certificate is not recognized in my state (not mentioned on website), and I didn't receive the product that was paid for that is clearly paid for on the invoice. No tracking number was provided and 0 communication back from the merchant. I asked for my money back from the merchant via email, since the number had no answer. They didn't reply, so I went to Citi to ask for my refund, since they're supposed to offer buyer protection. Citi went in favor of the merchant in my complaint. Citi contacted merchant, citi cited that the merchant claimed that purchase is nonrefundable and the product was sent. The product never came, no attempt by the merchant was made to resend item, and I have a certificate for a state I don't live in. I feel like I was hustled by both the merchant and Citi. Money and time wasted.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Had a fifteen minute conversation on the phone in an attempt to close my account. Finally they said they would. I received an an email today stating that my account will remain open on my request. WTF. Desperate company that I would never do business with again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I love the Citi Double Cash Card. All you do is charge something and pay for it and you get 2% cash back. You get 1% when you purchase and 1% when you pay. It is that simple. You get in for your online purchases just like you do for your instore purchases. Customer service is second to none.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I applied for CitiCard double cashback to accrue the extra 1% for purchase my other rewards plans didn't cover. I'm satisfied with that aspect of the card. I'm disappointed that customers incur a late fee if they pay their bill on their due date, but in a later time zone. While I understand that this is likely referenced in the fine print and I appreciate the first late fee waiver, this is an overly-punitive penalty and clearly a customer-unfriendly way to accrue profit. At least two of Citi's competitors with which I'm familiar with do not impose such a strict policy. Fortunately, this seems like an easy fix for Citi's management. My advice to them is to pursue a more liberal interpretation of the payment date.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have called 8 times in 90 days and examined to Citi that charges from Lyft are fraudulent on my card. They promised me 6 times that it would never happen so I finally called for the 7th time and canceled my business account after almost two decades and still after closing and after promising that I didn’t owe them one penny they still charged my checking account. There are several thousand worth of phony charges on my account and I finally gave up and told them I don’t care and I paid for it all. Now that CitiCard business is out of my life hopefully I would die from natural causes and not heart attack.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Every time I use the card, the fraud alert is triggered. I have spent at least 25 hours on hold in the past 6 months. I have logged in multiple times. I am the primary cardholder, not my husband. Nonetheless, even though I had 39,000 of available credit, I was unable to make a purchase at Target. I spent 20 minutes with Citibank and the 29 m minutes with Citibank fraud department.

Despite having had the same cell number for 19 years, they claim to be unable to verify my number. This is also despite my having logged into the account (which is password and double-security protected) on multiple occasions to "make sure" the number was correctly entered (WHICH IT WAS!) and requesting that text messages be sent to my number to approve any questionable account. It still did not work. I had to stand in Target for nearly an HOUR to use their crap card.

The phone people are 100% incompetent and told me they did not care if I cancelled the account. NICE. I use the card for business and charged approx. 150,000 on it last year. I guess that's not important to Citibank. I wish Costco would go back to a company that had GOOD service. Good would be 10 steps up for the crap that Citibank provides. I will be using another Visa at Costco. Not the Citibank, even though I will lose the rebate. It is NOT WORTH the money to be treated this way. I hate them.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I called Citibank to update my address and to pay my full balance in November 2018. I had not used the card since then and it expired few months later. This week, I was informed that I had an unpaid balance and several $29 late fees. After talking to them, it appears that there was a small transaction that came through after I paid the full balance. And it appears their employee mistyped my zip code. Therefore I never received any statements. Again, having not used the card again and since it expired, I was not questioning lack of statements.

Apparently they also sent out a new card after expiration to whomever got it since it never came to me. But despite the zip code being their mistake and me having ZERO ways of knowing I had a small balance that was taking on several months of fees, they won't waive them. This should be illegal. The customer service person was a jerk that kept "Ma'am'ing" me in a very obnoxious way but refusing to remove fees that are not my fault. He also refused to agree to send me the bill via mail but kept saying I had to pay it right then and give them my routing number, etc. which I did not have at hand. The whole thing was terrible and frankly again should be illegal to charge me fees based on their error.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This credit card company has unprofessional and worse customer service representatives trained only to collect money from the customers along with their system. I have been charged interest two months after I closed my account and a late fees for it without me even knowing about it, and they refused to take the charges out and reported it to Credit B as a late payment. It’s the biggest mistake to have a credit card with them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My humble opinion and I believe the following: what a disgrace and I will never use another Citibank for banking or credit cards. They have failed me twice to protect my best interest to assist in credit card dispute. I will NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR do any banking with Citibank. I waste minutes going through user prompts to get hung up on then next call to Philippines where person I can't understand their bad English besides all the background noise. Then told they can't stop a merchant from charging my credit card in the future unless I change to a new account number and card.

I can see why years ago Citibank needed to be bailed out by taxpayers and was about a $2 stock. They refused to prorate a membership I joined for 6 months that I canceled right away and claiming it's the merchant's terms and conditions. Wow they have failed me in so many ways. Another dispute they failed to assist me at a Hilton Hotel on a Costco Citibank credit card. Also I opened a bank account. Met all the terms and conditions and had a difficult time getting my bonus after contacting management. I will be selling my Citibank stock and never open a Citibank credit card or bank account again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have had their cards since 2014 and have always paid on time. My credit is excellent. I received a notice that my account was overdue. I called Citicard and was told I had enrolled in paperless! I DID NOT. They insisted I did so I spoke to a supervisor and was told the same thing. I brought my account up to date and told them I was disputing this. My credit score went down 118 points. They speak to you from a script and just keep repeating lies. I explained I never switched to paperless and wanted them to contact the credit bureau and tell them I am disputing this. Today I received a letter from the supervisor stating I can disputing all I want but they have reported to the credit bureau that what they reported is correct and WILL NOT be changed no matter what do. Please, please, please don't ever apply for a CitiCard... They are lying, sneaking jerks.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've had a Citi credit card for 11 years, and the last year has been AWFUL. It started when they were supposed to send a replacement for my expiring card and never did. Then when it finally arrived (after numerous calls), they sent an extra card. Then two days after receiving my new card there were "fraudulent charges" (on a brand new card???) so they they canceled my card and sent another one out. The fraud charges were transferred to my new card?! They're the ones who contacted ME about the fraud charges, and I was told those charges would be "under investigation" and credited back. And they would could back to me in 7 days.

Fast forward 4 MONTHS later and too many calls, the charges are STILL on my card and now they're trying to tell me the payments never posted. They want me to 'prove' to them they were posted. I have messages from them saying the charges posted and they will refund me, but to "please be patient." I have now paid for fraud charges I won't be reimbursed for because I have no other way to "prove" to them, other than the statement and messages that SHOW/PROVE the charges posted. I am canceling my card and will never get another Citi card ever again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My 95 year-old mother makes most of her charges on a Citibank American Airlines Mastercard. I pay her bills because she has both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease. Imagine my surprise when I found out her account was "past due," but we weren't receiving any invoices. After hours of probing, I discovered that Citibank, without checking with anyone, decided to DECLARE MY LIVING MOTHER DEAD! Her account was turned over to an agency that handles deceased individuals and the next thing I knew, her credit card was being rejected with all her normal merchants.

I tried calling Citibank Customer Service, but they insisted on referring me to the agency that handles deceased individuals. Of course, they couldn't help if my mother was alive, so I called Citibank back hoping for some real human help. Then I discovered that Citibank believes that people West of New York City all stop doing business at 4 PM New York time.

If you are any consumer, much less an older consumer, I would warn you that Citibank is the least consumer-friendly Financial Services Company that I have ever worked with, including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Fidelity, Vanguard, American Express, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Charles Schwab, or any issuer of Visa, or Mastercards that I have ever worked with - and those are just some of the largest national firms. I would also trust my local bank more than I would ever trust Citibank Credit Cards. Citibank's Credit Card Division couldn't be less consumer-friendly, competent, or trustworthy. If that doesn't make you nervous about opening a Citibank Credit Card, I don't know what will!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Benefits are a joke. If you have something you just bought stolen, forget about them replacing it. They will find an excuse why they should not. American Exp. is much better card, and they do what they say. Too bad Costco changed.

Original review: March 31, 2019

After 30+ years being with them. I was charged 1230.13 for a mattress from Joplimo Mattress also AWFUL CO. They never delivered it. CitiCard didn't have my back. They failed to represent a valued customer. Awful company. I WILL ALWAYS BE READY TO GIVE THEM A BAD REVIEW TO WARN OTHERS.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I'm wondering if Citi doesn't post fraudulent charges just to try and reclaim the 2% cash back. I've had this card for a number of years and there have always been excessive fraudulent charges that none of my other cards have suffered. I always pay off the balance, so they never got interest or late fees from me. I recently decided it wasn't worth my time to keep disputing these charges so I closed the account because I was fed up with having to call in, get a new card, and change all my automatic charges to the new number.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I had to give a rating but even one is too high for this garbage company. I disputed a charge on my card as a fraud purchase because I didn't make the charge and it seemed odd. I found out later my husband did do it but it was STILL a SCAM! When I explained this to Citibank they said, "Well it WAS an authorized purchase." So, after telling them IT WAS A SCAM, they refused to help and charged me anyway. So, after 13 YEARS I closed my account because I don't want to do business with a company that supports the SCAM artist instead of cardholder. Their claim that they support you is a LIE!! Stay away from CITIBANK!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I can’t begin to express my disappointment with Citi’s Dispute dept. I have contacted them several times re: fraudulent activity from Bliss-shinehair.com. I purchased a sample of Derma Joie face cream in Nov. 2018, paying S&H of $5.96. In Dec. a charge for $93.80 appeared on my Citi charge for a hair serum that I never received. I have contacted Citi several times and had one rep tell me that Citi was onto these fraudulent companies who prey on consumers during the holidays. Citi continues to believe the “compelling evidence” of this company that insists I received their hair serum. Big fat lie! After all the blogs I have read and Citi is also privy to their info... it astounds me that they take the side of sneaky and fraudulent companies. I plan to cancel my card and spread the word about Citi. Would give zero star review if possible!

Original review: March 6, 2019

One of the actual worst CC's I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing things with. I had FRAUD on my card, which happened across ALL my Credit Cards, Discover, Elan, and my Credit Union Card, and all charges were the EXACT same, and yet Citibank was the only ones to try to tell me it wasn't fraud, and rejected my dispute. Their system is antiquated, their employees, including the 'Presidential Unit' all lie and deceive you, and they had my old address until 'October' when I moved before JUNE. They told me multiple times they would rereview and get back to me, email me, call me, etc, and NOTHING was ever done. They then sent me a letter stating I am no longer allowed to contact them and keep hanging up on me.

This company is made of scammers, money thieves and heartless people. They literally ruined my amazing credit and now I cannot even co-sign on a Mortgage for my own house!!! $1900 in Fraud and they think it's me??? The worst, most bigoted company out there, and they should be reported to the Attorney General as well as the Better Business Bureau. They've got quite a few lawsuits coming their way.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have had my Citibank credit card paid automatically in full each month through Paytrust, an online bill paying service. If ability is received, it is always paid. Citibank did not submit a statement for January and then called stating the account was past due. I was unable to speak with a service representative. Paytrust Indicated on their website that Citibank has a new way of retrieving statements through Citibank's and I had to provide my log in the information to retrieve the bill. This change in Citibank procedure resulted in a late fee and interest charge which is a result of their policy, possibly a calculated move on their part to 1) force people into electronic billing, and 2) Collect unwarranted late fees and interest charges.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I just had the most horrendous experience with one of your "customer service" representatives. I was attempting to make my payment online this evening and was unsuccessful with accessing my account (not the first time unfortunately). However, I was able to log in via the mobile app but it was past 9 and your system was updating. For the last 2 hours I tried calling customer service numbers only to reach a recording (so I thought) which stated to call back in 2-4 hours. This happened on all 3 of the calls I placed to the number located on the back of my card. Finally I reached someone from your banking institute and she informed me those were live people (not recordings!) reciting the callback message and I learned the representatives just hung up on customers because they can't access accounts during your updates!

At this point she passes me over to a representative who had the audacity to lecture me about how I should pay my bill before 9 pm and it would be considered timely! I've never had a late payment and it is very disappointing to realise the extremely poor treatment your organization offers. From the terrible online experiences (both website and app) to the horrible representatives, this experience has been so awful I will be closing my account immediately. I truly hope CITI invests in more logical/user-friendly and convenient app. In addition, I strongly recommend you raise the bar with your staff you elect to hire and invest in the customer service training that is desperately needed. After all they are a representation of just who Citibank really is.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Sears/Citibank claims I signed up for a promotional balance. For over 8 years I have my bills set up on auto pay. My minimum balance was 97.00 but I paid 200.00 on auto pay because I had a 5000.00 one time purchase from Carnival Cruise ship. Nearly two years after the cruise I received notification from this bank accusing me of being in default of some promotional balance I did not sign up for. Multiple representatives have been recorded accusing me of signing up by phone, email, email link or third parties link click. I was also given written letters of different dates and times I click on this promotional balance link.

Citibank reported me late under two different companies. My perfect credit drop over 100 points. This became a domino nightmare from help because all my other credit card companies starting to take away my credit. Now Citibank closed my account without notice even though I still made my 200 payment on time. With the promotional balance interest my minimum payment is 1700.00 a month. I sent this bank a 30 day certified letter and requested on thing and to show me evidence I click on a promotional balance. They have failed to provide this evidence and they demanded nothing will change and I owe them 12k. Before this promotional balance my balance was only 5k. All three creditors and the BBB have failed to help me.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I am very rarely late paying my bills and this time I did not receive my statement so therefore my payment was late! They just said that it was mailed which I don't dispute but I can't control or prove that I didn't receive so no late fee reversal. I have been a cardholder for over 20 years. Considering on using rewards up then canceling the card. Very disappointing I have been only late a few times over the 20 years but that was on me. This was beyond my control!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

They don't have your back when it comes to dispute resolutions. They throw random rules at you so you don't file for a dispute. I have not used their other service but this one interaction is not giving me great confidence.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have two CitiCards and have not had any problems until recently. I had a heater and hot water heater break within weeks of each other and used other credit cards to purchase new ones. I just paid off one of my CitiCard by making a 4888.00 dollar payment with a limit of 6,000. A week later they changed my credit limit to 500 saying my utilization on other credit cards was too high. Really? I have never paid late and have been a great customer and this is how they treat me! If I knew they would take my credit away I would have paid a different card or put the money in a savings for an emergency. I called to have it appealed and was told no they would change their decision. I will be closing both my accounts even though it will hurt my credit. Them lowering my credit limit also hurt my credit! Never again will I open a CitiCard account!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I opened an AA Mastercard for the mileage and luggage benefits. I also wanted to save my miles if I didn't use AA during the year. By using the card, you safeguard your miles if they are near their expiration point. This is a better option than wasting miles on useless magazines. Or so I thought. With two weeks to go till expiration, I made a charge on my card and saw it posted on the Citi website. When I checked the AAdvantage website, my account was still set to expire and lose all my miles.

I called Citi and AA and found that because the posting date for the account was AFTER the miles expiration date I was going to lose all my (over 100,000) miles even with a balance and usage of the card. Their only option was extend for a $50 fee or donate miles. This was a total waste of paying a year for the credit card and at least getting a mileage advantage. My only solution was the MagazinesForMiles option and to cancel the card at the next renewal date.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I missed one payment. So I paid it late. They canceled my account. I didn't realize this, until I had rung up a large load of items at Costco. I had to leave these behind at the register, while I tried to work it out at the service desk. They called Citibank for me, and we tried to get a new account for me, and it was declined. My credit rating was very high previous to this. Due to Citibank, it has dropped significantly.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have Costco Citi Credit card for about a year now. Their customer service, dispute department, lawyer to handle dispute etc are worse than one can even think. I have applied for this card with having correct name. I received card with all the letters combined (two words) in first name. I needed to talk to them more than 20 times to change it. Every time they mentioned, your card having corrected name is on the way. But, I received the card having the same mistake for 5 times. 6th time, I received the card having correct name. I have disputed one charge of $1012 because merchant (airlines) charged me twice for the same transaction. I received money back for one charge. But, I could not use my ticket.

Airlines company mentioned credit card company refused to pay for my ticket. But CiTi says, they paid 2 times for this ticket. So, I asked my credit card company, who has the money $1012 as Airline says, they don't have money for the ticket (that's why airline did not allow me to use the ticket to travel) although I see 2 charges for the same transaction. Within the 2 charges, Airlines refunded me one charge. CiTi customer care, repeatedly said, airline has the money (one charges within two $1012). So, I asked them to dispute the other charge. But, CiTi did not give me the remaining money of $1012.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

On Dec 21, 2018 I faxed a dispute letter with all pertinent information to the dispute department. On Jan 14, 2019 I received a letter that my dispute was declined and the case was closed. I called the dispute department and was told that they never received the letter I sent even though I have a fax cover sheet shows it was received. On Jan 15, 2019 I resent all the information to the dispute department and called again on Jan 16h, 2019 to make sure they received it. Today Jan 30, 2019 I called the dispute department to get a status of my dispute and I was told it was in for review to determine if a dispute would be started or be rejected. Almost 2 months later and nothing is being done to retrieve 867.75 dollars of my money that I spent on a hotel reservation that was canceled by the supplier.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Citi targeted me for their premier card and enticed me with 60k points for $4k spend. Citi mailed me credit card 2 weeks late and as a result I could not use it on 2 week vacation. So I end up with just 2 months to spend 4K and meet their "deadline". I called to get an extension but no avail. I spend the 4k+ required and the last charge posts on the card 4 days after I gave it to online merchant - and as a result the transaction was recorded ONE day late than the deadline of 3 months. I call and after getting transferred around 4 times and repeating my request was told, "Sorry we can't help it," and are not interested in seeing the email from merchant that shows the actual order date as 3 days before deadline. Thank you Citi. Chase and Amex are much better folks. The CS needs to be fired here.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For the 4th time in the last year I've had to close and open an account due to the card being compromised. They don't have any idea how to process that function. The card before last was supposed to be expedited. After the 2 day limit I inquired and after 3 CSRs were involved they discovered that expedited meant USPS, 7 to 10 day. The re-expedited card did not arrive in 3 days and upon investigation with 2 CSRs and 2 Supervisors they discovered the card had NOT been processed. Finally I received 3 cards on the same day. USPS and 2 FedEx. Yep, card number 2 had actually been processed.

Just had to replace the card again. Same problem. They assured me 3 times it would be expedited. After 3 days of no card I inquired. USPS again and it hadn't even left Citi. That's not the worst of it. When I called to ask about the list of reoccurring charges that was being transferred to the new card some of which were actually the reason for the cancelation they had to close the new card (that had not been sent) to complete the proper paperwork they should have already done.

They truly do not know what they are doing, I've spoken to dozens of CSRs and 4 or 5 Supervisors, one of which disconnected the call and did not attempt to recontact and all they do is say they are sorry for any inconvenience. I even tried to go online and "chat" with them but after being disconnected twice I surrendered. Their feedback link doesn't work either but that makes sense.

CitiCard Company Information