1.08/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

1155 CitiCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Citi unilaterally decided to prevent customers from making edits (highlighting/putting sticky notes) on their PDFs as of September 2017 without any notice. I review my statements monthly to identify fraudulent charges and prefer marking them up for Amazon, eBay, and PayPal to as a check that I made them. You can just print the secure PDF to another PDF to work around their security settings. I can understand "tampering" concerns for PDFs but why prevent highlighting or sticky notes? This is not an industry standard as my other online statements can be fully edited: AMEX, Discover, Chase, Schwab, Bank of America, Vanguard.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Made an online payment last month in October with Citibank application paying off the entire amount before due date. Received a text msg day before it's due, says that my payment is due. Spoke to a representative and they said it didn't go thru. I gave my routing # & acct #. Authorize $25.00. It was confirmed. Received a text msg 11/9/2017 overdue. Checked my bank nothing posted for October. Did online payment with my bank on 11/2/2017. Money taken out on 11/6/17. Checked my payee list. It hadn't cleared yet. Set up my acct with citibank application again with routing # & acct # again. IT WAS CONFIRMED. 11/10/2017 Woke up to text message overdue. Checked my bank account. Nothing.

Called and spoke to a representative after so many security? Made a payment again with my debit card another $100.00. Just checked my account. Nothing posted. I worked hard for my money and credit. I told them I have never, ever had so much problems. Told the rep I want to payoff my bill and trash the card. Are they holding back from posting so they can accumulate fees to charge me, I'm going to Costco and just get a member card. I don't need their CC. I will check to see what other companies' CC they work with and axe them out. $300.00 payment this month!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I can’t wait to dump this card. Every time I turn around they want to charge fees. They are very quick to notify me that they charged my account a Late Fee of $25 on a $100 balance and that it's due immediately. But they take their time notifying me that my payment is due soon! The service on the phone is terrible - don't expect them to accommodate you on anything. I have been a customer over 8 yrs with minimal balances and I Have Had with these morons. They honestly don't give a ** about their customer. Card itself provides NO Value and the benefits are superficial. Although this is my backup CC, it's costing me more than other Annual Fee CCs.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Used only a small amount of credit before they locked my card. Was unable to unlock my card with my own information like I don’t understand this. I figured it would be resolved when I called but I got nowhere since I shredded this card and will never go back even if they let me. Weird ** company I got cap. Discover I will be using them. I would avoid CitiCard bank. Definitely there are too many better cards.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Costco Citi Bank Visa - I paid 398.26 on 10/10/17. They took out another 398.26 on 10/16/17! I called in for a refund. Told 2-4 business days. No refund. Called back in. This time told 36 days upon approval. What they don't tell you is that approval takes 30 days. I am 70 years old with a life threatening disability. Now I cannot afford the copays on my meds, or needed medical care. Tried to explain that, but was basically told tough **! I will be passing out flyers at Costco to warn people about this card. If they don't like it, I say to them tough **! I will be passing out flyers until Costco dumps this card or the world ends, whichever comes first!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

They sent me checks I could use. I did. Then I get call verifying I used a check. Which is fine. But the call was 20 mins long and speaking with a lady from mylan that can't understand but 3 words of English! I'm so mad. Why is my US bank making me talk to someone who doesn't speak English!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My husband and I have a card. We didn't get our statement in the mail so I called. They said I was just an authorized user. That is how they set up the accounts so they would not give me the statement. I pay the bills. Even after talking to my husband, they won't give me access since I am not primary. They couldn't change primaries without closing this one and having us reapplied. I am unsatisfied. I refuse to pay without verifying charges. There should be no reason they can't make a note at primary's request that I have access. What he be in a coma? Or there could be an emergency. This is unprofessional. You can give me access to medical and they have it on file. Why not credit card bills???

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I applied for a Citi credit card and they offered me 0% APR on balance transfers, which I took. Now, I am being charged 14% APR on all new purchases, even if I am paying off my new balances before the due date. The balance transfer option is just a scam for them to be able to charge interest.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been with Citi Credit Card services for almost 15 years and the one time I made one late payment by 5 days, they refuse to waive one late fee. I am never using my CitiCard again. The alert e-mail for my payment due went into my junk folder so I never saw the e-mail. As soon as I was checking my balance online is when I realized I missed the payment like I said by 5 days. I paid the balance in full on the date less the late fee. I wrote a e-mail asking for it to be a one time waive, and they shut me down like a bad habit. There are too many credit card companies out there to deal with one that will not work with a long time customer for 15 years. Very disgusted with Citi Credit Card and will no longer own a CitiCard and I will let others know of their nastiness. They didn't even have the courtesy to e-mail me back with a decision.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I paid my balance down $900 one month. They then decreased my credit limit to nearly the exact amount I paid it down to and claimed I had a delinquent obligation on my credit report. They also did not report to credit bureaus for two months. I called and was told I needed to talk to a manager and that one would call me back. They never did. I received a letter in the mail telling me they tried to reach me. I then turned it over to the BBB. I received a letter in the mail stating no new information that was brusque. This is a terrible company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

When I forgot my password to their precious website, I click the forgot password link, entered the info it asked for, and then was immediately prompted to contact customer service to verify my credentials. Bullcrap!!! Upon calling their India based "customer service center" where English is a second language to every single operator, and verifying my name, address, email, phone number, and any other price of identifying information they could possibly need, I was told they had to send my request to upper management. Wtf??? This is a simple password reset request. Why the hell does upper management need to be involved?? I've called them back multiple times and am still locked out of my account over a damn week later!! ** Citibank!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I closed the account three months ago and paid it off in full. Today I received a call saying I had a balance of $5.34 based on interest accrued after I closed the account and it was 35 days past due and had been reported to the credit agencies. They never sent me ANY notice via EMAIL or MAIL to let me know there was a balance.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been perfect client with Citibank for over 20 years and still. However, Citi in the last couple of months was delaying and not delivering my new card which I had for over 20 years, and Citi staff have been unprofessional and incompetent.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I moved from CA to College Station Texas first of Sept. My yearly fee was due in May and was talked into paying it and if there was not a Costco here I would be refunded, and was told that I would still get my rewards on my credit card if I left it open. In the meantime I continued using my Citi card for a lot of purchases to get the rewards.

When I got to College Station I found out there was not a Costco so I called and cancelled and got my refund but they credited it to my Citi card. I called to request a check for this and asked when I would get my reward which was now $70.00. I was told I could not get this until February and I had to keep the account open. Then they told me it had to be used at Costco so I called the customer service number. I was then told I would not get it due to closing my account with Costco I could no longer get the rewards. If I had known this I would have used my other credit card as it had cash rewards. So basically I am out 80.00. The last person I spoke with was very rude on the phone and when I asked for another person was told there was no one higher than her and she basically gave me the P.O. Box for her department to complain to which obviously is not going to do me any good.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I've been using Citi MasterCard for 18 years, and had over $530 cash reward. One day, I found that the avail reward is just $23. Per Citi, there was no qualified transaction for 1 year, so the reward is expired. There was no purchase, but there was activities (Balance transfer and payments). Anyway, $500 is just gone. **. Citi robbed. They said there is a agreement. There could be. Make sure you read all documents you received from Citibank. They will never alert or warn. They always try to rob.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I'm a Service Member who is required by the military to use my Citibank GTCC whenever I travel TDY on business. I always pay my balance after each trip from savings in my personal accounts to avoid any late fees and problems that could affect my credit history, because I never know how long a voucher claim (through the Army side) may take. Once that voucher does get approved though, it's like pulling teeth to get Citibank to release and transfer that money back to my personal checking account. In this case, I returned CONUS in June 2017 and am still (nearly October 2017) fighting to get my money back.

I just found out today that they released it to "DFAS". For those of you not in uniform, that's like saying your money was released to HR. Who in HR? "Oh sir, I don't know that, just DFAS." It's bad enough my government forces me to miss out on getting points and rewards through my own credit card, but now I'm forced to support the God-awful worst bank in the world, who then holds my own money hostage for a free loan. The US government should never have gotten into bed with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

They truly do not care about their customers, and I wish I had never opened an account with them - but I guess that's all major banks, huh? Their customer support is atrocious, and their terms are ridiculous. Avoid if possible.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I recently tried to buy gas, card was denied. I purchased a TV from Walmart. Got an email from Walmart saying my purchase was cancelled. Citi said it looked like a fraud purchase. I called Citi to clear it up, agent put me on hold then hung up. Called again, not helpful. Paid off my card then tried twice to close my account. Still have not gotten it closed. Website is a mess... Get a Bank of America credit card, great website and no problems using the card.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Purchased door online and the doors had to be fabricated. Decided to use Home Depot Citi Credit card. I understood I would be billed upon receipt of the doors. Lied to. They immediately charged my card even though I did not have possession of the merchandise. It took a month to fabricate and deliver to the store. Meantime I got flooded in by the TS Harvey in Houston. That made me late on my payment and I was reported as such. I've not had a late pay or slow pay in 45 yrs. Never, never use a department store card again. Unscrupulous and egregious practice setting customers up to lose. Silly because they lose too. No alerts like given by Discover and Chase reminding customers payments are due.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Received Citi Simplicity Card in mail today 9/18/2017 @ 7:19 pm. I successfully activated the card. However, upon registering for an online account I was asked for a code word to validate my account. Confused I called the Customer Service # listed on the card and explained to the first representative I am a new account holder; just received card, activated and have no such code word. I was told I needed to verify my identity. That call ended by her disconnecting and two calls later I spoke with Kevin and repeated the above. I informed Kevin I was recording the call as the two previous calls ended abruptly and I was unclear why. Kevin proceeded to tell me he needed a number to verify me. I told him I had three numbers. He immediately tried my landline number and stated my name (verified it was me and my Xfinity account) but then proceeded to tell me my Xfinity number did not meet the criteria.

When I asked what the criteria was he stated "that information is classified." I proceeded to ask Kevin to close the account as I knew there was something immensely wrong with the verification process. He stated he could not use the other two active working numbers (personal cell phone and business cell phone) but a supposed random number listed by my ss#. He then proceeded to call this number and upon returning to the call ask me about a family member, I laughed because he was referring to my 4-year-old son! The entirety of the call was recorded and I made Kevin fully aware of the recording multiple times and he agreed to be recorded. In the end Kevin refused to closed the account as I requested because the three numbers he could call did not meet a "classified" list of qualifications.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I've been an account holder with CITI credit card 2-3 years. Yes, I did take advantage of a 'balance transfer" based on it had to be repaid by 3-1-2018, at 0%, with no monthly payments required. While talking with a rep, regarding, I think the June 2017 statement, he asked about an interest rate of 5.99%, going forth on the account. WHY would I not think this applied to any unpaid balance on the account... No it was the daily rate charged on my purchases. Who does this? I feel as though I was duped by the rep. He probably had some sorta incentive to do this to X amount of consumers. I have destroyed the card and will pay them in full when my charges for the last few days have posted.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Purchased a laptop online from Dell for my son's birthday. I was then sent an automated text from Citi asking whether I had made this purchase. I replied yes. Then got notice from Dell that there was a problem with my purchase and that they would attempt to process the purchase the next business day. As it was late at night, Dell customer service was closed. This delay may cause the laptop NOT to arrive in time for my son's birthday. I called Citi customer service; was told the purchase was denied because it was suspected to be fraudulent. I asked why they couldn't have contacted me to verify the purchase prior to not authorizing the purchase. No valid reason was given. What is the point of having a credit card if you can't use it? I am more than annoyed!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I cannot describe how frustrating and unfair it is to find out that my credit card, an 11-year old account, has just been canceled for "inactivity over 25 months". I have been working as a Peace Corps Volunteer for almost two years, and now that I am months away from returning home I have to learn that my card has been canceled after trying to buy my ticket online. I have made all efforts to constantly communicate with them over the phone to check on my account (for fraud activity), to update my US address, and to place the necessary travel notices. They have offered to submit a "complex" request to reinstate the account only after completing a process that is more like applying for a new card! Again, I have been working as a volunteer for the past 24 months with a very low stipend, is it fair for my relationship with Citibank to be based on these past 25 months instead of the past 11 years! What a major betrayal and lack of customer service!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I was disputing a charge but because they outsource to other countries I could not understand the person I was speaking to and they got the whole thing wrong. Citi refused to help me so I cancelled the card. I had been with them for many years since college...

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I was notified that my credit limit in my credit card was decreased because my credit score. First, I wasn't requesting an increase in my credit card limit. I was behind for almost 3 months but when I got the money before the end of July 2017, right away paid my credit card in full, to be in good standing with the Citibank credit card and also because I want to repair my credit. What this deplorable company did was wait until I used the credit card, which I did last weekend at Costco to get the reward points, in a minimum purchase and then yesterday they decreased my credit limit and their unacceptable excuse was that they review the account for what?? And they made the decision to decrease the credit limit.

I felt that what a mistake I did paying in full the credit card, being an honest customer for what? When this big consumer companies don't care that the person was in a bad shape for a couple of months and then you get better and trying to repair your credit and be on time they treat you as a fool. They don't have respect and any kind of consideration. I regret that I paid that money to them, I should it take the money and take a nice vacations. DO NOT GET A CITIBANK CREDIT CARD!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

This bank is impossible to deal with. I saw a promotion for 0% interest and thought I would take advantage of it, signed up for a card and later received my card in the mail. I followed the card activation steps that came with the card and even got an email confirming activation, can't use the card. I tried to register for an online account and it won't let me. I called the number on the back of my card and they immediately want me to validate my identity by giving them a credit card number from a different major company, they don't want my Citi card number or my SSN. They want me to give them a different credit card! I can't use the card they sent me, can't access my account and all they want is for me to provide them a credit card. Now I'm fighting trying to get them to cancel the card.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I received a Citi Card credit card double cash rewards in the mail on August 9th. When I attempted to use my card a fraud alert was placed on it because of erroneous information linked to my name. In an attempt to try and figure out why the card issued to me, when I have a 800 point credit score is in a continual conundrum for resolution I get absolutely nowhere.

Now, as it stands, I have this credit card issued to my name but it is in "limbo". I do not the prospect of nefarious business practices that link me to a card that cannot be destroyed or used. Because of their inability to rectify this situation the card remains in my name UNUSED. I will have to call the Better Business Bureau and escalate this issue. As if that is not bad enough, when you're on hold for more than 12 minutes the "computerized" system just disconnects you! Do not accept any type of credit from this shady company. More than likely they are based in a country that abets illegal transactions. Now I was just hung up by them as I write this review! Wow- This world is in trouble!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I had been a Citi Bank Credit Card holder for more than 10 years until last year and always paid the full balance every month. Sometime last year, they stopped sending me paper bills. It took me a couple of months to notice. When I contacted them, they said bill was sent via email which I never requested. I looked for the emails but didn't find them. I protested but they were not very accommodating so I paid the full balance and canceled the account without realizing how this would affect my credit.

I bought a car today and the car dealer showed me the credit score which shocked me. I had a pretty high credit score before and this Citi Bank account incident lowered the credit score significantly more than 100 points. When I canceled the account, I was upset but didn't know it was going to have a serious effect so didn't keep any record. How do I go about getting this record removed?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have never in my life experienced customer service agents as rude as the ones I've spoken to. I am an inside sales director and I would be MORTIFIED if my agents ever spoke to a customer how I was spoken to today. Mike, from the Florida Call Center spoke over me, basically called me a liar when I said I've spoken with someone in their credit line department, and was overall very unhelpful. I told him I wanted to speak with someone else and he said he wouldn't transfer me that he would have someone call me back within 24-48 hours. I asked him what if I just called back? He said then I could do that but he wouldn't be helping me moving forward.

I'll begin by saying that I am aware my credit isn't stellar (mid 6's depending on which report you look at). I had a bad divorce 7 years ago and my ex husband didn't help the situation at the time. Since then, I have NEVER missed one single payment on ANY card that I have. With this card in particular they started me out on a lower limit which was fine, but I decided to add my husband to my account as an authorized user. I realized quickly I needed an increase. So I applied and I received one which I believe was for 2500. I was fine with that. Keep in mind I have NEVER paid the minimum payment on this card. It was ALWAYS $1000, $1500, $850 etc. I am a responsible cardholder and I know that deserved the limit increase.

So the most recent payment was $1500 and I thought the e-mail I received was just confirming my account activity- NOPE- they lowered my limit back to $1920 citing that I have a delinquency on my account. That is ABSURD! I called in and asked to verify where they are getting their information. The woman was so understanding that she gave me a $100 cash back reward. Although I appreciated it I needed answers so she transferred me to someone in the credit line department (which Florida Mike refused to acknowledge that it can be done). She was not super helpful and ultimately I decided to close my account.

Today I called in wanting to pay off the rest of the card as well as make sure they credit all the cash back rewards to my account. I was told they couldn't credit my account, which is fine, but in talking to the original person I started to get frustrated all over again. He refused to give me any definitive answers and changed his story constantly. When he transferred me he sent me to a inside rep by the name of Mike (who I've been referencing) and he proceeded me with inaccurate information all while being indignant, rude, and arrogant. I want a call from someone who can help me understand where they are seeing the delinquency. I spent money pulling my credit reports and EVERYTHING within the past two years is 100% current, and in great standing.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We've carried a Citi CashReturns Mastercard since 2008. The card pays a 1% cash return on purchases. We decided to close our Mastercard, with a 0 balance, but with $16.11 CitiDollars accumulated from our previous purchases. When we closed the account, we were told we lost the $16.11 we had accumulated, because Citi only issues the money back in $50 increments. That sounds OK while the account is open and active, but when you close the account, it's as though you have a refund that they decide to keep!!! Very unhappy with this policy!!!

CitiCard Company Information