1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

1190 CitiCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

CitiCards has the worst customer service. First, the online account doesn't allow you to manage two credit cards at once, you need to have separate accounts for each credit card, this is stupid!!! Second, the customer service would hang up the phone while the issue is not resolved!!!! This is really bad! I highly recommend Chase Bank. For anyone who is considering Citibank, I highly recommend switch to Chase Bank. The online account management is sooo convenient, and the customer service never hang up my phone call. Citibank should really consider better IT support and better customer service.

Original review: April 12, 2018

My request via telephone to Citi Cards was for a replacement card due to wear and tear. After three separate calls (March 15, March 24 and April 11), I never receiving my replacement card - a representative on April 11th canceled my account without my knowledge in order to send me a card. I was very uncomfortable with the way the phone agent handled the call and I called back to get the tracking number for the expedited replacement card. While going through the prompts, and entering my card number the recording replied "you entered your old card number". This was unexpected, however due to other commitments, I decided to call back the next day April 12th.

Around 9 am I visited a retail establishment, the card was declined twice for $12.00. Immediately, I called CitiCard - the representative relayed "your account was closed and new cards were issued". This upset me as I have several fiscal matters of my 4 member family tied to this card. After speaking with 6 phone agents on today, I had to push for compensation or miles to get some satisfaction. The 3rd agent offered 1,000 miles - which was not fair in my opinion since they did not offer anything for their gross error. The second offer was 2,500 miles. I was annoyed because he said 25,000 miles at first but changed his statement. I can't go anywhere on 2,500 miles and told him, if American Airlines makes an error with my seating or other inconvenience 3k miles is the lowest I have received.

The last rep by the name of Jeff was a stone wall robotic figure who did seem to care about both a husband and a wife on the phone asking for our Annual fee on the card to be compensated or 25k miles. He stood by 3k and did not care less of all of the undoing and manual contacts my husband and I have to make to remove the old card number and add the new one. Jeff, Dwayne and Jake offered to make an internal complaint of Paolo the culprit who made the error on April 11th and Kelly the Supervisor who blatantly lied to me about getting the card send FedEx this morning around 9:30 am.

The same error escalated into a calamity which CitiCard will not own. I want 25k miles and compensation of the annual fee. This is the least CitiCard can do for all of the trouble Paolo caused by misrepresenting me when he checked off the boxes that he advised me my account would be closed when he did NOT. CitiCard needs to make this error right without delay.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I recently got a marketing letter from Citibank telling me that I was eligible for a special promotion giving me zero percent interest on purchases made for the next several months. An web address and phone number were given. The web address turned out to just link to Citibank's new card application. No help there. The phone number connected me to their offshore call center where the rep had no idea what I was talking about, and offered to find me the best rate for my "new card."

So I wrote the Customer Service Center in S.D. and got a form letter back in a few days, apologizing for any inconvenience and thanking me for contacting them "about your Balance Transfer." Which of course was not the subject of my letter. Further down in the form reply there was a note saying that I could get a zero percent rate until 10/01/18. All I had to do was call them to activate it. Remembering what happened the last time I called the offshore call center, I decided instead to quit using the Citibank card.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Don't recommend this card even when you have a perfect payment history. In my case a emergency they declined a credit increase. I have some friend that have the same problem with this card. Just check the customer rating on this card.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have the Best Buy merchant credit card with Citibank and I can't say that I have ever had any issues. To be honest, I've had a lot of credit cards in my life and the only ones that I have ever had problems with, or general credit cards like a visa from Citibank or a Mastercard from Capital One. The only reason I'm giving them 4 instead of 5 stars, is because they have a habit of calling you like crazy all throughout the day if you missed a payment. Even, if it's only by a few days. Really annoying and you can ask them to stop calling you btw. It is illegal for a bill collector (credit card or debt collector. doesn't matter) to continue to call you excessively after asking them not to because that IS considered harassment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: March 25, 2018

Had 2 cards double cash and AA. Asked them to Close my AA account because it charges $95 a month. They closed both accounts. I contacted them, they said I could reapply. They actually did me a favor. I hate this company and their lack of customer service. It's been over a month and they still haven't sent my $225 overpayment and for some weird reason they locked me out of my online account. When I called for the refund... Their system is updating and I have to call back. This company is pathetic.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I HAD a Citibank card through Amazon for several years. Always paid my card with auto draft and paid entire balance each month to avoid late fees. During the 2017 holiday season I purchased 2 items that I was not happy with, 1 item was defective the other I was not happy with. I received a letter from Citi stating that because I had only returns and refunds for 2 months and had no balance to pay that if it happened again with no balance my card would be cancelled. I called Amazon to question this and it is a Citi policy to do this not Amazon. The person I talked to said to make a payment to Citi on a bill with no balance to keep the card active. I immediately cancelled the card and used a Synchrony Bank credit card for my Amazon purchases.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I recently applied for a Costco CitiCard. My credit score is over 830 with no late payments and usually a 0 balance on any card. I received a letter from CitiBank that I was denied because I had too many credit inquiries. I have ordered a credit report from Experian as I don't believe I have been applying for credit other than a new vehicle in Nov 2017 for which I was approved. I have no idea why this is happening and why Citibank is using criteria other than payment history and ability to pay. Both are stellar in my case. No customer service agent or manager can explain this policy to me.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Customer disservice, more like. Having had my credit card info stolen in the past, I now regularly check my account activity via phone app for any fraud charges. I checked it this last Christmas day, noted charges on there which were not mine. Immediately I call Citibank's customer service. "Oh, thank you very much for being on top of this, Mr. Customer! I'll credit the charges, cancel your card and issue you a new one." Ok, great.

The statement comes for December, some of the fraud charges she was supposed to cancel are on the statement. I call again. Oh sorry, she must have not finished the procedure for cancelling charges, ok done now. They're cancelled. So, I should just short pay the cc bill? Yes, short pay the bill. The statement arrives for January, complete with carryover charges from December's statement, plus an interest charge. What?!! On the phone I go again. This time the lady I get is argumentative to boot. I don't even remember what point she was trying to make, but I finally had it with her, asked to speak to a manager. Long story short for this paragraph, I was on the phone for an hour literally until the manager finally came on. Again, same story given, the last lady must of forgot to press something or other on her computer to put through the charge reversal, but now it's all taken care of. Go ahead and deduct the carryover and interest charge.

Just got my February statement and oh look, carryover charge from February and yet another interest charge. Again I call, this time the guy doesn't waste my time too long, just says I need to talk to a manager to get the charges reversed. Please wait. 10 minutes later he comes back telling me that all the managers are busy, call back later. This is their customer service answer after all this: call back later. I tell him no, you have your manager or an account specialist call ME later, enough of wasting my time. He confirms my phone number on the account, says that I will be contacted soon.

So far, no callback, and I highly doubt I'll get one. This is just ridiculous service, absolutely terrible. I'm going to have to call again, again waste [if I'm lucky, "only"] an hour, with no guarantee that "Trixy" or "Jean" or "Kevin" (didn't know they have such names in India) will actually resolve this without me having to find somebody higher up the food chain there. Very aggravating.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I am taking the time to create an account and leave this review in hopes that I can help others not be scammed by Citibank. I recently received an email stating that they are lowering my credit limit. I have two cards with them and have never been late on a payment. With that being said, my issue is not with the lowering of my credit, but the way in which they did it. I received the email a few days after paying above the minimum on my card by $15 (minimum was $25, I paid $40). They lowered my credit such that, come next billing cycle I would be over my new limit if I did not pay more down on the card.

Thankfully I can and did. Not everyone has the finances to do this. After talking to a rude supervisor who told me literally it's THEIR CREDIT AND THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT, I said, “Thank you and have a nice day.” CUSTOMER BEWARE! Citibank are setting you up to lose. I can't believe it's even legal to do what they did. I am making paying down these two CITIBANK SCAM CARDS a priority and will never use them again. Oh, I'm not closing the accounts, I'll keep their credit, I'm just never going to use them again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I just got charged $40 since I used a Balance Transfer check, a check which DOESN'T define there is a charge associated and looked like any other check associated with my other accounts. Citi is running a scam by charging customers a fees for these, it's disgusting so I canceled my credit card with them. I have other accounts and checks with Citi so sending something via mail, and cheating customers should be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

My CitiCard got changed to paperless without my knowledge. CitiCard claims I did it when I did not! Now my credit is ruined. I have had them as a credit card since 1984. I pay all my bills every month. Theirs did not get paid because I don't check my email for bills because I don't pay one bill online. I pay by check. I own a small business and pay about 40 bills a month. Their bill went unnoticed because of the large amount of bills I pay. I would have NEVER set the payment up in this fashion.

I asked why they did not call my cell number and they couldn't answer. And yes they do have my cell on record! They also said they don't leave messages. Probably called my home during the day. I'm not there. I'm working! The only way I knew I was 4 month behind was I got a FedEx letter from asking if I wanted to settle for less than half of what I owe. I don't even want to do that. I want to pay all of what I owe them but I want the missed payments removed from my credit history. They are refusing to do this.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I been with At&t Universal Citi Bank Card since 2007, I have always paid on time. I closed my account in 2008 and was assured by At&t Citi Bank that my interest rate would remain the same as long as I made my payments on time. Today I got my monthly statement and noticed that my interest rate went up 2%, I called and was advised that it was because of the labor rate and they had nothing to do with it. I asked them if they would give me discount if I paid off the account in full, they told me they do not do that.

Here is my question. These Banks have been taking advantage of consumers for a many years. Taxpayers bailed them out during 2008 financial crisis. I have been paying my monthly payments, and they do not offer any incentives for the American Taxpayers Consumers that been with them for over 10 years. US Government shame on you for bailing out these institutions that take advantage of hardworking Americans... We are forced to pay our bills or a credit scores goes down... banks get bailed out with taxpayer money... and CEO make millions in bonuses!!! Make America Great Again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

It took over 20 minutes for an unsatisfactory customer service call all to all non-native English speaking people. They also don't accommodate long time customers at all. Too many good cards to put up with their bad service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We had a -$0- balance on our Costco Citibank card and on 12/20/17 at 10:34am I called customer service to try to get our % rate lowered. The male agent I spoke with said "Why? You already have 0% through June." We used the card for a number of purchases. Next statement showed we were not receiving 0%. After 1 month of calling Customer Service from 1/16-2/13 and speaking with numerous reps with promises of call backs from a supervisor (no call backs received), I called 2/15 and stayed on the phone for roughly 20 minutes. I wouldn't give up, and finally the rep put me on hold for a minute, came back and said it was final and they couldn't do anything for us. I questioned her what precisely that meant, and she said to wait again and someone will look into it.

A few minutes later, she came back and said "the person" (Dawn, a supervisor in Jacksonville, FL) reviewed our 12/20 10:34am. Call said I never spoke with a customer service agent on 12/20 - I only used the automated system. We will pay over $1000 in interest charges due to their lying. The only way I know of to get a copy of the 12/20 recorded call is through court discovery. Customers should have the right to their own recordings.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Citi has been in charge of the Costco credit card for quite long enough to iron out any customer service and billing problems. But I guess not. I have been a Costco member for over 20 years, and I never had any issues when the account was handled by American Express. I immediately started seeing billing problems when Citibank took over the card. Their daily addition of any interest due, even after the balance And the interest charges have been paid off in full, is extremely frustrating. I have been talking with their customer service rep Antoinette (COS **) but nothing she says makes any sense. I had a balance that was paid a few days late in November, but December and January bills were paid in full on time, even paying the interest charges on the invoices in full.

But this is not enough for them. They still keep charging me new interest charges--in fact, interest charges on the interest that was accumulated from November. Even though that interest charge was paid off in December and again in January. And now she insists that even though the interest charges will be taken off in March, I still have to pay them first! Does this make sense to you? It doesn't to me. And she just kept repeating herself over and over. I really miss the friendly people at American Express. It is very obvious that as a Costco customer, I am of little or no consequence to this large banking system. I still really like Costco, but why as a Costco customer I am treated with this inflexibility and hostility by Citibank, is very frustrating. They must have taken over the Costco accounts very reluctantly, and now we as Costco customers have to pay!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Due to a previous fraudulent purchase from August 2017 from a pharmaceutical company in Georgia, I called Citibank on January 19, 2018 to inquire about suspicious activity and to ensure my account(s) were safeguarded against fraud and deception. During the conversation, the representative stated that as he reviewed my account and payment history, he noticed that I paid off balances way before the due date and that I had a $643.51 balance on my account. Upon receiving this information, I was alarmed, as I have always paid off balances before the due date to ensure no additional charges (and penalties) would be accrued on the account. Upon receiving the aforementioned information, I told the representative that I had sent a check in the amount of $643.51. He then told me that the check had not been received and that I was in danger of the account being late because the payment was due the next day.

After receiving the information provided by the representative, I offered to pay off the balance by using my check card from my personal checking account. Upon providing the funds to satisfy the balance ($643.51), the representative from Citibank assured me that my account was at 0 (zero) balance. When I viewed my checking account transactions the next day, I noticed that not only was the $643.51 check card payment taken from my account, but an additional $643.51 (check payment) was taken as well. Citibank had received the check I sent and both (check card payment and check) were taken from my account, totaling 1,287.02. When I called Citibank to inquire as to why I was told during my previous call that they had not received the check payment, the representative apologized and offered a refund ($643.51) of the additional funds taken from my checking account.

Three days later (January 22, 2018), I received another statement for $588.37. As always, I immediately paid the full amount and was assured that the account was at 0 (zero) balance. As I carefully reviewed the statement for a second time, I noticed that the fraudulent pharmaceutical charge in the amount of $79.87 that was supposedly had been rectified months ago by Citibank appeared again on the statement, which prompted me to contact Citibank again (at which time, I began to become suspicious of Citibank practices). When calling Citibank, an automated service indicated that there was a balance due. Please note as mentioned above, I NEVER leave balances on my account. I always paid in full. There was never a revolving balance. After hearing the automated service, I waited to speak with a representative regarding my account.

The representative told me that there was a balance of approximately $1,287.02 on my account due to requesting a refund. I was shocked! I explained to the representative that the refund was due to overpayment. She then stated that I had charges and that I owed Citibank $1,287.02. Immediately after speaking with the representative, I asked to speak with the accounting supervisor. Channer (the accounting supervisor) explained to me that since I requested a refund due to overpayment, I owed Citibank $1,287.02. By this time, I was emotionally exhausted after explaining to Channer (and the previous representatives) that it was within my right to request $643.51 of the funds back into my checking account due to overpayment (check and check card).

Channer became frustrated with me and used condescending analogies to defend Citibank's reasons for the charges; at which time, I requested to close my account due to being treated extremely poorly and unfairly. Channer then stated that I would not receive my Costco rewards if I closed my account. By this time, I was emotionally drained and was overcome by anxiety. I then contacted the executive office of Citibank and spoke with Kelly. Kelly stated that she will comb through the account and call me back after she investigate the charges.

I am disappointed and shocked that Citibank would treat customers with no regards. I was a customer who had a perfect credit history with Citibank. I always paid off balances before the due date and was never late on a payment. I respected my relationship with Citibank and showed my appreciation by ensuring all accounts were paid-off in full each month. I am saddened that I was not respected and regarded as a valued consumer. I received poor customer service rooted in deceitful, malicious and add-on practices. My experience was emotionally debilitating and unfair. I am requesting a third-party thorough investigation along with a response and apology.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Let me start by saying that I signed up for an American Airlines/CitiBank miles rewards card in mid-January, and I am already looking to cancel it; that should tell you how horrendous this company is. I've been a customer of Capital One for 4 years, and Discover for 10, and I've never experienced any of the same hassles with those companies that I have with Citi. I signed up for this credit card in January because I travel regularly for work and wanted to start banking miles to take personal trips. I don't have a very high limit on my miles card, so I make new charges to my card and expense them through work/pay my credit card weekly. Citi saw fit to freeze my first two payments - totaling almost $3,000 - due to suspected fraud. Keep in mind, my credit limit on this card is about $4,000, and with a constant rotation of multiple-night hotel stays and car rentals, the remaining $1,000 gets eaten up very quickly.

I ended up traveling for 2 weeks straight with basically $400 available, due to the locked payments and pending charges. This meant that essentially every time I charged something new to my card, I had to make a one-time payment to get my available credit back up so that I could continue to buy food, transportation, and accommodation. On Thursday 2/8 I got stranded in Chicago due to a snowstorm/canceled flights. I called Citi and asked to have my pending payments unfrozen, to which I was told "That is not possible, the payments will authorize on Monday 2/12, so wait until then". I should have pushed harder at the time, but I was only "supposed" to be in Chicago for one night, so I didn't think it worth the hassle.

On Friday 2/9, rather than walk around the city with all my belongings (during a snowstorm, and with nowhere else to go due to flights being canceled), I tried to add my Citi card to my Apple wallet. For whatever reason, my credit card could not be authorized via Apple wallet, and was then locked. This is where the real fun began - I called Citi customer service and went through a circular, pointless 'identity verification' process. They asked if I had any other accounts with Citi with which to verify my identity (no); they asked if I had a landline or work-landline with which to verify my identity (yes, but they then said they couldn't confirm that the work-landline I gave them was registered to the company I said I work for -- what? My company owns the building and all the phone lines in it, so...); they then told me they would send me a letter in 3-5 business days with a code, and I could call back with the code to unlock my account.

Since I was stranded in Chicago with no food, shelter, or transportation (and no means to buy any of that with a locked card), waiting 3 to 5 business days to receive a letter was not an option. When I explained this to the customer service agent, instead of understanding my predicament, she cut me off and talked over me, saying there was nothing else she could do. For a credit card that is geared towards travelers, you'd think they'd have a better system for this type of thing wouldn't you? Anyway, agent #1 got the full brunt of my wrath; thanks for nothing. Wish I remembered her name. I called back 2 minutes later to cancel my card altogether, but ended up getting transferred to another agent, Anna, who walked me through the same 'verification' rigmarole. Only this time, she took some pity on me - probably because I started sobbing midway through our call - and she said that, because my husband is an authorized user on the account, they could call him with the code, then he could give the code to me and they could unlock the account.

Now, my husband works in construction so he is on job sites all day; let me tell you what I went through to get ahold of him so he could check his voicemail to retrieve the code, all while Anna waited on the other line with me. Anna also made sure to tell me that this super-secret, very important code, was valid for THIS CONVERSATION ONLY. Eventually, the code was given and my account was unlocked. Or so I thought. I then asked to speak to someone about verifying the funds in my bank account so that I didn't have to make couple-hundred dollar payments every day just to get by while traveling. I THINK this woman's name was Jean - I did speak to a Jean at one point, but I also got transferred to a load of people and spent a LOT of time on hold during this entire debacle. Anyway, Jean conferenced my bank in on the call, they confirmed the funds, and boom, credit line back to normal.

Now, if that was so easy, why did the useless woman on the phone the night before tell me I had to wait until Monday? I should've cried/given her the "I'm stranded in Chicago" speech. But really, I shouldn't have to break down sobbing just to get passingly good customer service. So, I was assured that my card was unlocked and funds were available. I called Enterprise to then extend my car rental, and the card was declined. I tried to log into the Citi app, and the card was still locked. Sooo, I called Citi BACK and spoke to another helpful gentleman named Tom. Tom started to ask me the verification questions, at which point I explained how that would get us nowhere. Tom understood, and explained that Citi requires them to do this verification process, and without another account/landline/secret code, all they could do was mail the letter.

Tom also mentioned that the code they already gave me could be used - even though Anna said it was for our conversation only - maybe Tom was taking pity on me as well? That's very likely, and it's also likely that Citi's entire process for this kind of thing is completely ** up. So, Tom was given the code, my card was unlocked, and my free day in Chicago was ruined. I instead spent my entire afternoon dreading what I would do to get home (to Philly) with no money and nowhere to get any, waiting on hold, being run in circles, and sobbing to various strangers about my predicament. It seems that human decency - and NOT Citi's anti-fraud policies - was the only thing that got me out of my situation. If you have read this far, thank you for sticking with me. It was even more painful to live through this than it has been for you to read it, I promise.

And, in all my years with Capital One and Discover, I have had numerous things flagged as fraud, a couple locked cards/locked accounts, and not one single conversation or interaction with their customer service teams which I was not satisfied with. And I've certainly never spent hours on the phone with multiple agents trying to resolve a problem like this. Citi has failed me in every single one of these aspects. I also haven't received any miles yet, despite surpassing American's "spend $3k in the first 3 months and get 60,000 bonus miles" benchmark. At this point, I don't even care about the miles. Citi will never receive a dime of my money, either in interest or annual fees, and I will discourage everyone I know from opening an American Airlines - or, really any kind of credit card - with them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Beware of auto-enrolling in paperless billing when enrolling a new or replacement credit card. I had been a Citi cardholder since 2001. A couple of months ago I received a replacement card and promptly went to their website to activate the card; apparently when activating a new card, either they automatically enroll the card in paperless billing, or set a checkbox to default to enroll in paperless billing and I missed it. For the next 3 months Citi sent my bills to an email that I use for spam and junk mail, which means I rarely check it, and when I do, I am certainly not checking it closely for important information. By chance I did check that account -- over Christmas break of all times -- and happened to see an email from Citi claiming missing payments, I immediately ask my wife (who handles paying the bills) and she confirms she hasn't missed paying any bill, she even shows me the stack and proves there aren't any bills from Citi.

I call them immediately and clear up the past due amount, explain what had happened. Later, I find they have reported this to the credit agencies. I call again and explain the paperless billing debacle and ask for consideration and to have the negative reporting removed. They tell me I need to send a letter to their credit dispute department (nobody can talk to them, not even the Citi agents). So I do; I write a letter, detail the circumstances, request they remove the negative reporting due to extenuating circumstances, wait the 5-7 days, then I received a form letter saying they reviewed my account and the information in the reporting agency is correct. I call them back and get escalated to an "account manager", I explain my issue with paperless billing and my dispute, she asks me to hold, then comes back and states my account was past due -- to which I replied, correct, that is why I am calling.

I explain the circumstances once again and my claim is the card enrollment process automatically set my account to paperless billing and sent the bills to an email I do not monitor for bills, she informs me that agents cannot change my account to paperless billing, I interrupt and remind her I am not claiming an agent did, I am claiming the enrollment process did, her response: it can't do that. At this point there didn't seem to be any reason to continue my suffering, so I summarized both sides of our conversation for the recording -- and now, I guess I will need to get an attorney to resolve something a little common sense would seem to fix.

I have been a customer for 16 years without being delinquent, I enrolled a replacement card, somehow got enrolled in paperless billing, missed the payments following the change to the billing method, which with all of the AI applied to detecting fraud, spending habits, etc, maybe they should apply some to payments -- 1) customer always pays bill, 2) went through card enrollment process, 3) account changed to paperless, 4) missed payments, -- at this point, why not call the customer (with a 15+ year relationship with your company), OR send a letter to that customer and ask why there is a problem with payments.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have been getting the runaround since Dec regarding one of my Citibank credit card accounts. I made an in-store payment on my card and basically they can't tell me what they did with 1356.00 of my money (which has cleared the bank) but which they did not apply to my account. I have been in weekly communication with them and get told something different on each call. In the meantime I get their robocalls telling me I am late on my payment and they are attempting to collect a payment. The 1356.00 paid off my account in full. The individuals I've spoken to have been polite but the Citibank process - or lack thereof - has been a nightmare. I feel like I'm walking through every level of Dante's Inferno - where I should not even be - with no end in sight.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

If I can give their customer service any stars I would give zero. Nada. Null. Nothing. First - we have a card with a big credit limit. We don't use it often but we keep it open so in case we have an emergency, we don't have to worry about getting things paid asap. Now, we weren't getting statements because of the zero balance in the last couple of months. No statements, no calls, no nothing. Apparently, a subscription we had automatically renewed and since we weren't getting statements on the mail or by email, we didn't know something was due. That's the sad part - no calls, or emails about it being unpaid UNTIL IT GOT TO COLLECTIONS! Almost all of us gets spam calls so it would've been helpful if they left a VOICEMAIL but no, no voicemail either.

In the end, the collections agency calls after work (finally) so I was able to answer and that's when we found out about it. We still decided to pay everything, fees included, just to get it over with. Even if we didn't get a statement, or a voicemail, or anything - thinking that we never used the card it should have no balance (lesson learned, always check all open accounts regardless) - but that's fine.

What really made me angry is when I called to make the last payment. The agent had to put me on hold to "check" if I can make a payment. I'm an authorized user, the account is already delinquent so it's not like I'm going to put in more charges, and my name is all there - but ok he had to check. About 10-15 minutes later, he comes back to tell me that he has to check with his manager. Are you effin kidding me? All that time waiting and you still haven't checked with the manager? So ok, calm down, go ahead. After another 5 minutes, he comes back to me and says ok you can (FINALLY!) so I give all my details, finishes the payment and then I asked, "so can you confirm that this is final?" and he tells me "I'm sorry I can't disclose any other information on the account".

What? I'm an authorized user, meaning I can use and ask about this account. I can't make changes like the phone, address, credit limit increase, etc. I work in a bank, I worked for a call center and I also handled credit cards. Like are you kidding me? I just want to make sure I don't get any new charges! So that's it, I was already angry and guess what - the agent, Rohib, raises his voice and starts lecturing me that "I'm sorry ma'am but we're doing the right thing. I'm just doing the right thing!" and he started talking while I'm talking.

One rule in customer service - when the caller is irate, you let them vent, listen, then explain. You don't yell at them while they're talking and insist about whatever it is. So I told him to let me finish talking. He kept saying he was doing the right thing. I wanted him to note on the system (because hello, they sure have an application program where they can put notes including reference numbers and whatnot) that I am making a final payment and no further info was given to the AUTHORIZED user. I am not going to pay a couple hundred of dollars because apparently we missed a few cents and we don't get a call or voicemail again after too late. Anyways, I requested a manager - she gave me the info I needed with no problems. Rohib needs a coaching session with his team leader about customer service and how to handle irate calls. Don't yell at your customers especially when all I wanted you to do is write a note!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Citibank sends me an email because I used my cards too much in several months. Said they reviewed my account and my credit report because I used my cards a bit too much they decreased my credit limit. I advised that I opened a new business and I had to use my cards to get the business up and running. I also explained that I have never been late on my payments and even made double payments on my account. They said they take into consideration what's on my report not what's on my account. They did not seem to care that I had been a valued customer.

I will be reporting them to the CFPB. I find it unfair that I have never missed a payment or I have never been late on my payments. Their random review of my account was not necessary. I am not happy with their service. Didn't feel like they care to hear about my situation. I will pay this card off this month and will close my account. I don't need a credit card company that does not care about my situation.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

When my card was replaced with a new card they royally screwed up on multiple levels. I had a CREDIT on my credit card account number which they transferred to my new account number as a CHARGE. The cash awards did not get transferred to my new account but could not be refunded against my old closed account. Something that is this simple is easily handled by other credit card banks, but it took MANY calls and much of my time talking to Citi to get this basic transfer completed. Oh, and the customer service folks clearly do not speak ENGLISH well -- which made this whole experience all the worse. Icing on the cake: User has to MANUALLY go into account online or call company if they want to redeem cash awards every month.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I accepted a 12 mo interest-free offer from Citi Card. I paid the balance off during the promotional period as agreed and never paid a late charge. Fast forward 2 years, we are buying a house, mortgage broker pulled credit and Citi Card shows over 40 late charges that started posting after the balance paid to -0-. Six months ago I submitted all documents that they ask for to begin removing the late charges, Citi Card agreed immediately that this was their error and that they would fix it within 30 days.

I had some time before the mortgage company pulled credit again and I felt good about Citi doing what they said they would do. Well guess what? I am now starting the process over because we are ready to do the mortgage and the late charges are still being reported AND more of them!! They won't let me talk to anyone in the dispute department, just wanted me to submit documents again! PLEASE HELP anyone who can tell me what I can do to make them fix this!! This is so unfair!! All other credit is perfect and credit score is high yet I need a letter of error to present to the mortgage broker...

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

First, my bills are paid and I have been a CitiCard customers since 1989. I understand Fraud Protection, it comes up sometimes because I forget to notify my card I am out of the country, or sometimes because I am on the border of another state and frequently shop there. This time I had to pick up my vehicle at Toyota, in another town, but one I frequently shop at. The bill was $800 and I used my CitiCard without an issue. 10 minutes and 1 mile later I was at Tractor Supply, one I frequent when I am in this town, to pick up livestock feed, another item I buy very frequently. To my complete surprise, the card was declined based on fraud involvement. Seriously! I call CitiCard right away and was told I had to be at the phone I was billed from. I'm 40 miles away in -10 weather, without cash and now without credit.

Well then could I give them my checking account number, well, normally outside of local retailers, out of town checks aren't taken, so I didn't carry my checkbook. Well, then I am out of luck sorry. I use this card a lot, online, out of town and in. They just pulled this out of thin air. I was pretty panicked because I don't normally carry cash, my truck didn't have enough fuel, and again, minus 10 with colder than that wind. Too bad, so sad. I scavenged enough change to put fuel in the tank and make it home, but what if I had had children, or an elderly person, or been pregnant or sick, what then? I normally don't leave home without backup funds but this time, I relied and trusted CitiCard not to pull some bad algorithmic stuff and quite honestly to answer me in a mocking tone, and without a shred of common sense.

I have another BOA Mastercard and Discovery and they decline because of my jumping over into another state, so I get it. They have set questions they ask and in turn I get turned back on immediately but not Citicards! Remember to carry your checkbook, which I would not have given my account information over if I had had it. Remember you should have additional Citicard accounts because they would have taken those into account, and remember to run home to answer the phone, even if you are an hour away. The outcome, a future archeologist will maybe have some luck digging this card up as it is buried. I do not trust this company who has such bad customer service as to leave me mostly speechless.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We made a hotel reservation with Reservation Counter, based in Lehi, UT, and canceled before the cutoff time in order to get a full refund. Their policy was on our receipt. If we had called after the cutoff time, we would get one night's hotel fee deducted from our refund. They won't give us any refund, so I contacted Citi. They opened an "investigation", and sided with the dishonest reservation company, citing that we were never promised a refund by Reservation Counter. Duh! That is the problem and why I contacted Citi to help me with the dishonest merchant. I know there's a lot of fraud out there, but this is the first time that I haven't had my credit card company's assistance to back me up. I will complain directly to Costco, also, about changing the credit card merchant.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I applied for the Citi AA card that they hype on all their flights to get the points. I received the card and charged $1,790. in the first month. I paid the balance well before due date. A week later, when traveling, my card was declined for what the foreign customer service person said was a social security question & that a letter had been sent. When I returned home, the letter requested a COPY OF MY SOCIAL SECURITY CARD to be sent to some third party. Huh? I called Citi and finally got a USA rep who said ignore that letter, it was sent in error. The problem was that this third party could not verify my cell phone number and were afraid of fraud. That doesn't even make sense. I charged nearly $1,800 and PAID IT ALL OFF, does that sound like fraud? I have had the same cell number for 20+ years and been an AA awards member for longer than that but they could not verify it.

I requested a manager call and big surprise, no one ever called. So my card and account are in limbo. I plan to pay it off and cut up the card and send the pieces to AA. I will also tell fellow travelers to run like the wind when they start selling the card on a flight. Citi is only interested in making money, the is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I sent a complaint to AA for all the good it will do. After reading these other reviews I suspect my last bill will have some extra "charge" for some made-up nonsense. Can't wait to be done with them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have been a customer of CitiCard since 2008 and have always maintained a up to date account. On December 13, 2017 their customer service department contacted me regarding a payment and told me that to avoid a late charge to submit my payment. I admit, sometimes life gets the best of you, but I made a payment as she asked me to do. I then get a statement and they charge me a late fee. Why in the world would you tell me I was not going to get one if I made the payment and after I made the payment you gave me one. That is not good business. Let alone, by law there is a grace period for making payments. I will be terminating my business with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Tried to buy gas at a local station I had used in the past. Citi computer system went down and the transaction was flagged as a potential fraud alert so my card was locked out. When I talked to the customer service rep, she said there was nothing she could do and hung up. When I called back, I cancelled the card but what they didn’t disclose was in closing I forfeited all my cash back rewards. I will never use Citi services again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I have tried to value the CitiCard ever since Costco switched to it. My first engagement was with the transfer of the prior card transactions... no statement arrived from Citi, but yet I was blessed with paying the late fee and interest. This situation lasted for months with the only way of resolution was for me to pre-pay a month in advance to stop the insane methodology of their interest calculations. Next, comes the onslaught of texts and calls verifying transactions for items no other credit card company ever calls on. Not for charges incurred out of state...or out of country...but for basic transactions at local shops.

And, today the last straw. A hold on my account for setting up AppleWallet (it doesn't cost anything to set up AppleWallet BTW). Now my re-occurring monthly charges begin being declined and I am getting "transaction fees" from companies due to the declines. When I call customer service they say, "Not our problem". WHAT?!?! This company is INSANE! I will never do business with them again.

CitiCard Company Information