Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5
Based on 1,021 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

CitiCard Reviews

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

The Citibank credit card is ridiculous. Their standards to get a card are VERY hard. We have a credit score of 760 and still can’t get one and they only use use one credit bureau so that’s what you're based off of. I wish Costco offered different options for a visa credit card or different company Citibank sucks.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

When I ordered this credit card they promised that the chip inside the card will protect me. They also said that I am not responsible for fraudulent charges. On January 17, 2020 I came from work to see a phone message and an email saying that my card was used in unusual manner. I only use it for food and MTA in the same location. This time my card was used in some fancy shoes shop in the neighborhood that I never visit and some crazy amount was spent. I immediately called the number provided and told them to stop this payment. They told me that it was too late to stop it.

First of all, the store where you buy such thing was supposed to check the ID, if they did not, then they should be responsible for this charge. Second, if my card is in my hands, then where this card with this "secure" chip came from? CITIbank told me that they will do their investigation and will credit this amount back to my account. They did. A couple of days later, however, the charge quietly returned back to my account. What they hoped that I would not see it? This bank can't be trusted. They are one big fraud. They make double cards, spend your money and then let you pay for their indulgence. Be very careful, better yet, do what I do, do NOT deal with these thieves.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I sent my payoff to five Citicards. They post three of them already, the card with highest monthly payment. How if I sent all checks together on January 7th 2020, they were able to post three of them and still not post the higher payment and the higher interest account. Very suspicious. :(:(:(:(

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Worst bank ever! I regretted so bad to have applied for the credit card! They reduce my credit line limit hurting my credit for no reason! Contacted the customer service. It was even worse experience!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have been a Citibank customer for 10 years. It was my very first account out of school, and I am so disappointed at the lack of responsibility and respect this company has for their customers! There were $16,700.00 fraud charges made on my credit card that was only used for recurring payments online and never in person. Citibank sent a replacement card without my knowledge or email to warn me.

Apparently, this card was intercepted, activated and used manually to make multiple $4,000 charges. This was suspicious enough for the fraud department to text me, and within a minute of the transactions I was on the phone disputing all the charges. With trust in the company, I assumed since I contested the charges within a minute that they will not be processed. To my despair, the incompetent security officer only stopped one of the fraudulent charges despite them being from the same merchant and being charged minutes from each other in a different state from which I live. I contacted Citibank numerous times to inquire when the other charges will be removed, with only a rude instruction that I "must wait for the investigation". I waited MONTHS before any investigation took place.

Sadly, it was not until the day after I lost a baby and was grieving, that the account investigator CHRISTINA JOHN called to ask me where my card is. According to my call logs, total "investigation" time plus wait time to be connected was 14 minutes at which point I was interrogated like I was the guilty party and was not given the appropriate information that these charges were made on a new card not the one in my possession that I had since 2017.

Investigator CHRISTINA ** concluded after 14 minutes that I, the customer, made $13,000 in charges. I presume she made this conclusion only because the case's deadline was in two business days. I then sought the help of local police and a detective and wrote multiple formal letters to reopen my case with the Department of Security Operations. After it was finally reopened, it was closed once again within a week without notice to the customer or further investigation. I had to call Citibank to check on my status and was told the closing of the case was "Manager Approved" without a name of an investigator.

Infuriated and scared at this point, I was instructed to write another letter to Executive Response to plead my case. Interest charges on the $13,000.00 were already accruing and my credit score fell 44+ points. I mailed out my Verizon Phone Bill which is a legal document showing that the activation call was not made by me along with over 30 pages of evidence showing my whereabouts during this transaction, my immediate rebuttal of the charges one minute after they were made, and the copy of the card that was in my possession.

I called a few days later and spoke with Security Operations Supervisor Robin, who was very rude and rushed. She informed me that again the case will be closed holding me liable for the charges. I was very scared to see that my rights as a consumer and a loyal Citibank customer were being violated. Citibank advertises that customers are protected against fraud and will never be held responsible for unauthorized charges. This is lie. Please know they will string you along and make you stress out and go the extra mile just to achieve justice. Businesses should respect their customers and work for them instead of against them especially when it comes to their hard earned finances.

I had to take it upon myself to file a report with C.F.P.B. (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) and engage the detective on the case to reach out to Citibank on my behalf before they officially close the case again because that was my very last chance to have these charges resolved. Finally, after months of stress and effort, Citibank finally saw the OBVIOUS, that this was indeed FRAUD. I implore Citibank to investigate each individual involved in this case to see the multiple failures in the system so that it will not happen again to another "valuable" customer.

1. Christina **- account investigator needs retraining on proper investigation processes including checking other credit cards belonging to the same individual and the same bank that shows a different state location on one card and another state location made by the fraud charges in the same day. Investigate the call that disputed the charges. Investigate the suspicious timing between activation and multiple thousand dollar charges that were made. Track and trend the spending on the card prior to the fraud charges which will will show only recurring online charges. Just be better at investigating because people's lives are affected by your rushed and inaccurate decisions.

2. Mr. Chris Johnson- Security department representative called 12/20/19 at 4:27pm EST. Please take a customer service class and separate your own emotions from the situation. Customers who find the need to call your department are scared and frustrated, and there is no reason to be as RUDE and as SHORT with the customers because you are upset at what they are saying.

3. Robin- Security Department Supervisor- As a supervisor you should be leading by example. Learn to be kind, caring, compassionate to your customers that you claim to "value" so that your subordinates will do the same. It seems some have followed suit with you, and just report that "there is nothing you can do" just to be done with the call. You are the reason I called C.F.P.B.

To be fair, there were some very helpful individuals that need commendation for excelling where their peers and superiors could not.

1. Mike **- Thank you for your guidance and patience with me on Christmas Eve 12/24/19 when I received the letter in the mail rejecting my dispute of the charges. You gave me clear and informative instructions on how to pursue another investigation. You were calm and helpful throughout the conversation. I thank you for your professionalism.

2. Eric **- I cannot have settled this case without your help. You were the first person to tell me about a new card being mailed and the phone call that was made to activate the card. Without knowing these crucial details, I would not have had the facts and evidence I needed to prove my innocence. Your understanding and openness with your customer is a very valuable trait. Thank you for guiding me to the Executive Response Unit and restoring my hope that this will be justly resolved in the long run. Your notes, information, and patience show your true excellence as a Supervisor. Thank you.

3. Alexis- Citibank credit Legal Dept. It took me over an hour and a half to attain the legal department phone number from the people in Security Operations. It was as though they wanted to keep you hidden. After speaking to you, I realized why; because you are a true gem. You were extremely kind to me in a time of fear and frustration. Thank you for not making me jump through hoops to get the information I needed and for calling me back to make sure I had a complete list for my subpoena. I really appreciate you, and I want to make sure you are recognized. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

They have outdated verification models - I was once required to receive a letter in the mail in order to use my card because I had to call in twice on the same day to use my card. Inept staff - you better hope your account isn't flagged for suspicious activity. The issue follows me around for 2 weeks every time this happens because they somehow cannot figure out how to tell the system I verified transactions. Often verifying transactions leads to a text message seconds later saying my card is locked until I verify transactions, and indeed that is the case.

Unhelpful management - Inept staff is one thing but when they transfer you to their manager the service gets even worse. I had trouble with Samsung pay for months, told the manager, and she said wait 24 hours because there was nothing else to do. I asked if they do conference calls, per the Samsung rep and as most FIs do, but she refused and said "if you get a different manager they might say something different but my answer is no". I really wish Costco would use anybody but Citi. I never thought I would miss their American Express offering so badly.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

CitiCard and CitiBank is a scam. I signed up for their credit card and they withed the card from me for almost 2 months. They mistakenly sent it to the wrong place several times. By the time I spent the minimum purchase to get the American Airlines points (a few days past the date) it was past the promotion period. This was all due to their neglect on where they sent the card. I called to reason with them and they can care less to keep my business. I would not recommend this company!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I am holding Citibank credit card and I purchased few items behalf my girl friend and she has done credit card payment through online her USBANK. The amount got credited into my account successfully. After 20 days citibank reverse that amount to sender's bank again. I don't know why they have been done this mistake without inform to the customer. The payment status I have got updated on systems after 20 days. I was surprised and complaint to citibank but no one doing proper investigation to help their customers and they simply said the amount got reversed and ask your girl friend to do again payment. Now she said this issue with your citibank not from her end. Finally I was lost $5000 because of the ** citibank no customer security accounts and they don't care about their customer information and security. Do not trust citibank.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I am on paperless statements. I do not pay my bills late. A purchase I made for Christmas happened to hit where it was due 1/1/20. I did not receive the statement this time and did not know it was due. Upon research - I believe it went into junk - or perhaps I missed it. Regardless - they refused to waive the late fee. They did give a statement credit - but it wasn't for the full amount, and frankly the issue is the principle of the matter.

The supervisor was extremely condescending and when I told him he was, he told me he didn't raise his voice so therefore he didn't do anything wrong. In a world where there are plenty of different credit cards out there to give my business to - it's ridiculous that they would lose a customer over the $25 late fee. I have closed my account - and when I asked him to close it - he told me they wouldn't be able to reopen it. So this customer service supervisor is making decisions for the company - and losing business over $5. Super short sighted and extremely offensive behavior.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

On December 12, 2019 Citi called regarding a MasterCard issued in my name October 2017. Credit line allowed to max to over $9,000. Citi claims the account was established without my permission. Citi omits that from November 2017 until August 2019 the card had a zero balance. Citi claims I activated the card which I do not remember. The card is still in my possession with the activation sticker on the back.

Without my knowledge Citi omits that on August 18 2019 Citi received and granted a request for an address change from Brooksville Florida to Stone Mountain Ga. Billing to be done by e-mail only. After Citi granted that address change and billing change that person managed to spend $9,000 in 3 months. I have verification from the post office that I never requested in the past or prior requested an address change. I have copies of a sheriff report and complaint to the FTC. My credit is ruined because credit bureau reports now show the Georgia address and owing over $9,000.

CitiCard Company Information