Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.40/5
Based on 1,015 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

CitiCard Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

From opening the card it was clear customer service was going to be horrible. I just hoped I'd never have to deal with it again after "proving" my identity to start using the card by, get this, them texting me a code (which didn't work) or, and I promise I kid you not, mailing me a letter with a code to my new address which I just changed before being able to use the card for the first time. Imagine that as a security measure. Anyone that could steal my identity could have changed the address to theirs and Citi would let them prove they were me by mailing them a code. Not providing secret info. Not proving anything. Opening a letter. Anyway, the issue happened with Uhaul truck rental. I was given a defective rental vehicle. Told Uhaul about it, and Uhaul decided to not fix the issue and still charge me the full price for the rental.

Obviously I contacted them, they did nothing again, so I contacted my Citi card services to dispute the charge. Explained the whole situation, and they promised to "make a case for me with the merchant". Uhuh. What they did was ask Uhaul if what I claimed was true. Of course, Uhaul said no. Citi closed the dispute in their favor without contacting me at all, and refused to do anything else. I called them up again. Explained the situation again, and what I was basically told was that they could reopen the dispute, but Uhaul was going to claim the same thing again, and as I had no proof they were going to side with Uhaul instead of me, their customer. The precedent is set. Any time a merchant decides to rip me off, unless I can provide proof the merchant is lying, Citi will side with the merchant. So I will be paying the balance with Citi and closing the account. The utter lack of customer service is truly mind-blowing. Do not use Citi.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Fortunately my credit monitoring service informed me when Citi Reported a Negative for consumer does not follow card agreement - why? Because they made a mistake on a chargeback and refunded their client Sears who owes Citi a lot of money in loans. Sears is struggling. Instead of getting proper documentation they favored sears without properly informing me what was going on. So when I sent them the indisputable documentation sears had picked up and accepted the return for which sears failed to refund - they then changed the dispute back to correct scenario. I can only assume a vindictive employee who should be fired was upset and then put a derogatory mark on my credit lowering my score. I contacted them to remove this.

Next I receive a letter indicating since I agreed with their reporting they removed the explanation comment which said ‘consumer disputes after resolved’, left the derogatory hit Plus Added a Second hit that consumer is not following card agreement. Now I lose even more points - over 100 points gone and their has never been a late pay ever. Unbelievable. I call in and they want me to explain all the details and refuse to let me speak with ‘credit management’ who sent the letter with False statements about the resolution which they used to further damage me. Their culture is toxic and it will flow through to you as a cardholder as soon as you need them to help you. Clearly management over credit cards is not consumer driven but rather they're to help the companies they have credit card processing agreements and loans with.

I was hassled on the phone for 15 minutes till they got me agitated. Then I said just tell me which credit protection agencies I can report this to and all the sudden they were now going to resolve it for me. BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS - as soon as you need their help is when you will realize this is not a consumer friendly bank. I am astonished this is happening. All my other credit card companies are great when you need their help. Not citi.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My family and I had gone through a hardship within the last year and are now trying to get back on our feet. I had recently made a some payments in order to try to restore my credit and bring down my credit card utilization that had accumulated during the hardship. Just days after I made a larger payment, I get a notice that they have Citibank had lowered my credit limit based on my credit report. Mind you, I just checked the report that day and I have 100% on time payments and my score has just gone up. I have never missed a Citi card payment and have given them no cause to lower my credit limit.

Now my utilization that I was trying to bring down, has now gone back up due to the lower credit limit-and I’m now back where I started. I am beyond upset and feel violated. I’m trying to repair my credit from the emergency loss my family had to go through and this is my repayment. I could have used that larger sum to pay off another card completely, but instead I’m trying to spread it out and pay each card down. I’ve been a banking client for over ten years with Citi. I had encouraged my family to open accounts with Citi. I called customer care, spoken to a supervisor and I found no kindness, sympathy or helpful advice from the department. In fact, the supervisor had talked down to me during the conversation. The representative then just stated their policy- that they routinely check credit and make a determination to lower limits based on outside circumstances from other creditors.

Again, I have 100% on time payments with all of my cards and car payments. Again, I’ve never given CITI cause to penalize me in anyway as I’m on time with them as well. My only fault is that my cards were at their limit which had been rectified that same week. I find this appalling that this is how a client is treated after doing nothing wrong and after over a decade of being a customer. This is something consumers should be aware of. Citi has shown has no regard for their clients and use outside sources to determine how they relate to dealing with clients internally, and handling them in this discriminatory manner.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I had a dispute with a health club where my employer would pay part of the cost. Due to the club's computer system they didn't record my visits so they put the amount my employer would pay on my Citi Card. I submitted the info to Citi but they say I have to resolve it with the club. VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH CITI.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have a Citi double cash Card with a 100% fraud protection. I put into dispute in September. It is almost December. For fraudulent charges from a rental car company that attempted to charge my card several times they approved 3 charges going above my credit limit that were not authorized and have said to me many times they would credit it back to my account and assured me that I had a 100% fraud protection and they have done nothing but send me emails that say they're looking into the dispute. I can't use my card because it's over the credit limit and my credit score has now dropped 60 points! How long is this gonna take. I'm completely disgusted with how they've handled this and not done anything. I've always made my payments on time. Never late. Never missed a payment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I wanted to write in detail what the "circus" CitiCard Advantage is making out of a simple replacement card. I see after reading submitted complaints that this company is just too unorganized to do a professional job. Ten days (10) ago after a compromise on my card, a replacement was requested. I am still waiting for that promise of card being sent out by FedEx by (3) Three different agents. What liars are employed by this company. Wonder if you can trust your money the Citi Banks as well??? I will be dropping and NEVER recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I applied for a new card. Waited the 7-10 business days and it did not arrive. To keep this short, in summary, I called over 10 times inquiring as to where my card was, as I wanted to make a large purchase to get the miles they were offering. I was told numerous different things depending on who I spoke with. Since I never received the card, I was unable to know the entire digits, therefore I couldn't use it nor would anyone I spoke with re-issue me a new card. One person told me the card was returned to Citi, the next person he transferred me to said I needed to keep waiting for it to arrive, then the last person said it was delivered to my house (to which I stated I am at my house and there is no card). I kept getting blind transferred, starting over with my story, and it was apparent that the people I spoke with were at a call center and were reading off of a script. I was then told I would receive Fedex tracking within 24 hours, and I did not get that.

I called back and had to start over again, it has been an exhausting process. I just wanted a credit card that I could use as my primary card, however I am so turned off by the service I have received I am cancelling it altogether. My husband is cancelling his Citi card as well, far superior service with Chase, Amex, and Barclays. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Citi.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

After almost 14 years of being a Citicard credit card holder. I decided to call it a day. Horrendous aggravating customer service, no follow through, mistakes on bill. There are too many other cards out there that value your business and that have knowledgeable customer service representatives. This company is a joke.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My auto pay acc was changed and without my authorization exactly one day after an auto payment was processed. I called to make my payment, ask why they were trying to draft an auto payment from a bank acc that is not mine and that I didn’t change. I also needed the late payment fee waived as a courtesy.... again for something I did not do.

Well I was xfer 4 times, questioned, laughed at and hanged up on. I was treated as I was a liar and each agent made it difficult to work with. Those agents they hire in the Philippines are extremely rude, they talk over you all the time and they pretty much have a condescending attitude. I will be closing both of my Citi cards with them and pay off the balance as I refuse for this type of company keep on making money off of me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I would think it's with all Citi credit cards. I made my payment on time, but it was posted to the account one day after the statement closing date. They charged me full interest, and did not care that I actually did pay on time. Or even tried to work with me. After all the time I've had this credit card, one issue that wasn't even my fault. No help, just ridiculous.

CitiCard Company Information