CitiCard

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I applied for a Citibank Double rewards credit card on February 22, 2017. I waited until March 15, 2017 and still had not received my card. When I called to find out what was taking so long for the card to come while talking to the representative I decided to cancel the card altogether. I was transferred to another department and I was told that account would be cancelled. About an hour later I received an email stating that my old card was cancelled and that a new card was being sent out. I immediately called back and kept getting transferred. After speaking to three more people I was assured that the account will be closed and I will not receive a card. I have yet to get another email to confirm that the account is cancelled and I expect that they will one anyway. The customer service is the worst, no one listens to what you're saying and they keep trying to insist on giving you a card when you don't want it.

They have lost my payment for $6500 and asking me to prove the payment, it was an electronic payment and I have to go get a print from my bank, provide everything they need. Their electronic system is a mess and they make customers pay for it. On top of it the customer service is horrible too, I had to call 2 times. Was put on hold for a long time. I used American Express for years and never seen anything like this. Costco made a big mistake to switch to these morons. Do not use CitiCard.

I have had a CitiCard for many, many, many years... I called customer service to dispute a finance charge. The female that answered the call was unprofessional and seemed a bit "clueless". She stated that she would take care of the finance charge. She then explained a program with "0" finance charge for any charges for the next 3 months and if I would be interested. I said yes and she said that she would activate this on my card. A month later, after charging many things onto the card expecting to have a few months to pay off I received a bill without any of the zero finance charge noted on the statement. I called and was told that it WAS NEVER activated and they were unable to offer the zero finance charge any longer. WHAT?? I can't believe that they would fool customers into believing that they would have an offer. This is fraud to me...

CitiCard opened a credit card with my name and sent it to me and I cut it up. Now a year later they are sending me past due bills. I called and they said that I was a customer of Costco so when they took over the card processing from American Express they signed me up. I never activated it and was not a Costco or American Express card holder when they took over as I had closed both accounts month before. I have called but the only thing that happens is that I get a past due amount with finance charges. They did this fraudulently as they should have taken care of it the first time I called them. Now my great credit history will show that I do not pay on time. I am sure many other people just pay it but this should be against the law and they should be held responsible. My next visit will be to an attorney.

Frustrating, time wasting to speak with a customer service. Very stupid fraud detection system: too sensitive, even though I was calling a fraud department agent and he assured me everything should be fine, the system declined me again and again. CITI also got a lot of customer service agents, half of them either don't care that much about customer or they care but they don't know the simplest things they need to know. I lost several hours of my time and more than 100 bucks just because 2 representatives who were supposed to be helpful, didn't do their job correctly.

The day after, I tried to get some support from customer service about my recent frustrating and money-losing experience and the result wasn't anything but wasting 3 more hours. One of the representatives told offered me to get a refund through rewind program. She explicitly and clearly told me to find a flight with lower price and after wasting 30 minutes, it turned out that flights are not included in the rewind program. She was an employee of CITI at the interface of CITI with customers and she didn't know flights are not included in rewind program. I have been with CITI for 3 years and I used 3 different credit cards from them, but I'm so frustrated that I'm going to pay off my cards in a week and close my accounts ASAP. Even seeing the name CITI is starting to piss me off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

I recently began using Citibank Credit Cards. Don't expect that because you paid a fee for this service, paid all of your statements prior to the Due Date totally a 6 digit number, that Citibank will honor their contract. Citibank cut my use of the card 10 days prior to my Due Date which was the date that I paid the full amount due. Below is an exact copy of the response I received: "A payment hold was placed on your last payment until the funds were validated by your bank. This process was created to protect Citibank against potential losses. The payment hold process means that we will withhold an equal amount of available credit until the payment has cleared the validation process. We will release the hold once the payment has validated." No wonder why they have accumulated over 1,000 Internet complaints. I am a Charter Member of American Express. They earned my respect and loyalty. I will only be using Citibank for their Big Box Vendors.

I CANNOT believe they lowered my limit without notice. I HAVE NEVER PAID NOT ONCE single payment late EVER since I have opened my account with them. So because I requested a credit increase and got denied they took it upon themselves to lower my limit. This is BS. What is the point of being a good paying customer if they are going to punish you for that??? I HAVE NEVER EVER EVEN MISSED MAKING A PAYMENT! I either pay early or when due and more than required or the amount I use! I will never refer NO one to Citibank again. Thats for sure!

I have had this Diamond Preferred credit card for years and they are the absolute best at giving the best service and lowering your interest rate based on your credit worthiness and years of doing business with them. I previously asked for an interest rate decreases due to these factors and though I had to go through a few hoops and get to the right person they did it for me immediately. I have used this card for numerous balance transfers which have helped me out and go as smoothly as can be. I am so glad I have this card and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Paid off the balance due. In two payments. The second payment was made on the due date but the agent (Rebecca) claimed that a second payment was an inconvenience for her as she would have to do more work to change something on the first. "If I can process the second payment tomorrow, I will waive all interest charges, as you are calling in on the due date." Needless to say, I got hit with interest charges! Don't do business with this company!!! Now they are telling me that the month after you pay the balance in full, you are still charged full interest for one more month. A waste of time and money.

If I could give the customer service departments no stars, I definitely would. I am the executor of my father's account and noticed that there were fraudulent charges made to his credit card account the day before he passed. I followed up with the customer service and literally talked to about 10 different people and continued around and around in a circle. They were unhelpful, extremely rude and unsympathetic to my situation, and apparently do not know the meaning of communication between departments. So in my mind, this company is completely fine with allowing fraudulent activity to go on with no repercussions.

If you want your identity stolen, by all means continue on with this company because they clearly do not care who is charging their credit cards, so long as there is money in their pockets. Michael L. Corbat, their CEO, should be ashamed about how shoddily this business is run. But then again I suppose the Snowboard and Ski Association takes up a lot of time, rather than actually overseeing the business institute in which he governs. I would never have a credit card or any sort of account with this company, and would never recommend to anyone else that they do business with this company. Thank you for being absolutely no help in a time when I needed it the most, Citibank.

The worst service I met. Closed my account, and contacted G. Stevens Vice President. Citibank, N.A., paid my last payment, she told me the balance is 0. But just in another months, I got a notification, I owned another $70. This is cheating business.

I have been a long time credit card holder of Citibank with very high credit limits, but not high balances. Recently noticed that they decreased my credit limits to approximately $300 above the credit balance, which was devastating to my utilization. I have a fico score that is in the high 700s and have always paid my debts. I have called them 3 days to only get different reasons from their customer service and credit department each time. I was told that I had delinquent accounts which I knew that I did not, high balances, then delinquent accounts.

I was a nervous wreck thinking that someone had fraudulently done something to my account. I called Equifax and immediately signed up for credit monitoring in order to gain access to the report immediately. Once accessing the report there was not any delinquent items, so I signed up and paid for a service unnecessarily out of fear. I called Citibank back and was told that it was because of high balances, and not delinquent accounts. My balances aren't any higher than they have been since I had the Citi credit cards. I have never missed a payment and have an extremely high score!! I don't feel that it is right for Citibank to decrease someone's limit to the point of almost making the account be over the limit... I think this is unfair and I will never do business with Citibank again!!

Utilized this new card and ended up getting a fraud alert. Called the company was able to give him all information that they needed. However they wanted to call me back On a registered phone. First time called my husband. Then two weeks later fraud Alert happened again and not sure who they called but it was no phone registered to my family. They would not tell me which number they called. It's very frustrating. I have never experienced this with any other card that I have obtained.

Mid-2016 Costco switched from AMEX to Citibank as their credit card service. Without my knowledge Citi opened a phantom account in my name, along with my valid Costco account (two accounts opened). New year, Costco did an automatic charge for membership renewal to the phantom Citi cc. This auto charge was made to the phantom account which didn't exist as far as I know. In February I started getting automated calls from Citi saying to call Citi customer service or my Costco account would be closed.

On the 9th of February I contacted Citi. The phantom account supposedly had been opened by me in 2002!!! NOT! Anyway, took care of this issue over the phone and charged membership renewal fee to my valid cc. Seven day later I start getting automated calls again, same message. Took care if it on the 16th of Feb. Now I get an automated call again saying the renewal charge needs to be paid or they will cancel my Costco. All this had been taken care of on Feb 9th. and again Feb. 16th. I never have had to make so many contacts with a bank, and not seen any corrections to the problem.

So I wrote a letter/emails to several Managements/CEO shortly after Customer relations gave me the boot telling me they have the RIGHTS to close my account. I told them I am a excellent customer and a Branch Manager FAILED to Identify over the phone and read out loud my addresses and account number... I am sure he was not alone at that time (Breach in Security)... overall it's POOR service and its look like she blacklisted me. Every agent I spoke to thereafter stood back with caution helping me with any complaints. I even met a Regional Manager at a hotels while they were having a meeting and she PROMISED to look into my complaint. A few week later called her office twice (NO Response) --- BLACKLISTED.

The moral of this story is that if you complain to Citi-Bank management, they coldheartedly don't like customer that voice their concerns. They reacted negatively by Close your Account. As far as me I was planning to leave, as I informed in my original complaint letter because their service STINKS. They lost not me (I closed 5 different Account with my Citi-Gold-Account). Goodbye Citi Bank 40+ years, they Don't stand fair with Customers.

I was approved for a Citi AAdvantage business card on Dec. 26. It is now Feb 6 and I have still not received my card. I have made four phone calls and been promised three times I would receive the card via FedEx the next day. Each time they send it to the wrong address. On the last call, the representative promised to call me back the next day to confirm I received the card. I didn't receive it and she never called. You can't make this up. How they landed the Costco account is beyond me - Citi has the worst reputation in the banking industry - deservedly so.

These people are HORRIBLE!!! Like drug dealers, they entice you with that 0% knowing that most of the poor people who go for it will not be able to pay it off when the period ends. Then they get you for 30%!!! They use every sneaky way possible to void your 0% too, like changing the payment amount so that when I set up auto pay, the amount is off by a dollar or two and the whole 0% thing is gone. Why doesn't the Fed go after them for this. This is worse than the predatory lending scandal that went on in 2006.

Called Citibank last week to inquire about a temporary hardship due to an immediate family member passing away and we were out of work for 21 days with 7 of those days without pay. I have never, ever had anyone to be so rude. They refused to speak with me. Said they would have to speak with my spouse and my request would probably be refused even if I could issue a hardship request. I was blatantly told by the CSR, Giermo, there was nothing he could do and if I couldn't pay my bills why did I make them. I was appalled at his attitude. I voiced my opinion to him and he again said..."nothing I can do." Not a gratitude of "sorry for your loss", nothing. I am going to pay off this stupid card and I will never ever be caught using this card again or anything with Citibank. It's a shame Home Depot is part of Citibank. Shame on you, Citibank.

I received an offer to apply to a Citi Hilton cards last year with promotional offer to receive 75,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $2000 within next 90 days. After receiving approval, I made the required purchase but never received the points. Citi claimed they have a 24 months exclusion against existing cardholder and since I am an existing Citi cardholder, I do not qualify. I contacted customer service and they point me to the current online terms and conditions. They were not able to provide the original terms and conditions that I was subjected to at the time I submitted the application. If I knew about the exclusion I would not have apply for the card with Citi. Citi should post their exclusions more prominently to stop baiting customer to apply for their products. I no longer wish to be a Citi customer after this bait and switch experience.

I applied online about a month ago for a Citibank account. Service was good until Wednesday Jan, 18th when I couldn't use my card. It was because I hadn't submitted a copy of my ID. Easy fix. Nope when I called back the next morning I found out my account had a hold on it and it was getting closed because I missed the deadline on the 15th. The lady to tell me this was rude and made it seem like it was my fault. She said I should have gotten an email about or a letter. I never got any. She lied about the email because someone else in her department said they just send the letter and no notice letting you know you need to send a copy of your ID. They claim they sent a letter a couple days after I applied.

I possibly believe them but I never got said letter and it is most likely because during the Christmas period when the post office has extra hands and mail gets to the wrong address. We received many neighbors mail and mail from across the town so it most likely got lost. But I never was notified by them that I needed to do so and I talked to them multiple times and fulfilled everything else. No one could not stop my account from being closed even if I faxed them my ID. If it is important to have they need to stress it, they even told me they don’t even give warnings or update you on said matter. They just hope you get the letter. Because of this I am without my money until they cut me a check for the remainder of my balance. But I won’t get that until the 2nd at the least because they have to wait until my account is closed. So I am broke until my next payday. Great.

Because of this my next paycheck might go to a closed account because of how brief this all happened. There should be no reason they can’t better inform their members on this matter. I could have arranged to make sure I get my next paycheck in time or faxed my ID in time. The people they hire are not allowed to remove a block on an account or stop an account from being closed because it’s all automated. There is not a whole lot they can do. This is a large bank they could do better.

Here's a timeline of events what happened all because of Citi Best Buy Credit Card Services did not do. We have been making monthly payments on a regular basis to pay off our debt, since 2003, when my job was abolished unexpectedly. Since then we have asked them to refinance the interest rate. We were met with resistance, so we decided to try to pay off it over time. My wife made a payment at the end of October from one of our bank accounts that was due around November 4th. We received a email from Best Buy Credit Card Services, that the bank had declined the payment because we closed the bank account at First National Bank. She made a payment right away online while we were talking with Credit Card Department on November 12th in the amount of $90.00.

On the next business day we contacted the Bank. They looked at the records and told us that Best Buy Credit Card Services did not make attempt to take the payment out. So we called Best Buy Credit Card Services to make sure that the payment was made on November 12th as the email indicated. On November 14th, I called them to make sure that the payment went through. I talked to a representative. They indicated there was $90.00 credited to our account on November 12th. I did not authorized any additional payment on November 14th to be withdrawn from the bank account.

Then around the 23rd of the month we received our bank statements. That is when we discovered that the payment had been taken out twice. I called on the next business day and talked to a representative named Marvin, I think that is what he told me his name was (English was not spoke very well by him) and told him that we wanted the money deposited back into our bank. The person assured it would be in 7 to 10 business days. When we made it clear that the next payment would not be made until the money was back in the bank.

We went on vacation we received a email that we had to call them as soon as possible. When we got back I called Citi Best Buy Credit Card Services. The representative that I talked to transferred me to a case supervisor who told us that a review team had decided not to return the money since the payment was past due. When I tried to explain that it was their fault due to not taking out the first payment, they insisted that we authorized it. I said that we didn't. And if we did we would have been given a confirmation number. They still insisted that the payment was 2 months behind but our November statement indicated no payment was due, probably that was because they withdrew an unauthorized payment on November 14th. At this point we became frustrated with their unwillingness to listen and cooperation. We said we were done making payments to them, since I felt with the inflated interest rate it was paid off.

All of this could have been adverted if they would have listened and have tried to work with us. We were willing up to that point to have kept paying them until we got to a point where we could pay them off in one lump sum. Update on January 12. I talked to Samantha who heard our request to review the phone records about what transpired on November. She said it would be 24 to 48 business hours before we would hear back from Citi Bank about it. On January 19th, we received a call from Citi Bank about our account. I was out at the time doing a Military Funeral. As soon as I returned home, called them back. First talked to a Chris. She said about us authorizing a payment. I tried to explain. The reason was due to them not taking out the payment first, and we did not authorize the second payment. She was persistent, that we did, so she transferred me to a Bill.

Bill said that they could do nothing since we made a online payment and then we called and made a payment over the phone. So I tried to explain as to why this happened. He basically said there is nothing they can do about it. They deemed it to be a non bank error, and still charged us a late fee for January 4th payment. We are disputing this because of the above information.

Was left stranded in another city due to the incompetence of these people shutting my card down saying I needed authorization to use my card. Mind you I have had my card 2 months and have made several big purchases. Then in order for them to verify it was me not only did I provide my information and security passcodes they needed to call a family member with the same last name!!! WTF. My father and that side of the family are deceased. They would not call my wife because she does not have the same last name. She has not changed it over yet due to the work she does and the hassle that will come with it.

I also change my phone number recently and I gave them my new number. They said they would text me a code while on the phone with them then flipped the script and said they cannot do that. I needed to fax a copy and get this ** a lease, my driver's license, social security card, utility bill, etc for them to lift the hold on my card! Mind you I've had my card 2 months. Just made a big purchase a week prior but now they want to put a hold on it. Thank god for my Discover card. I have had that card for over a year with not one problem. I will definitely be closing my Citi card.

I want to apply for a Citibank visa for a balance transfer. I went through the call center and they created an account before they would give me the credit limit. I wanted 14,000 but approved me for only 9,000 and I have a credit score in the 790-800 area. I told them I didn't want the card. To my utter frustration they said it was too late. I had the card and I couldn't cancel it until I got the card in 7-10 day. I tried the supervisor, no luck. They then transferred me to the Citibank customer service, as the call center doesn't work for Citibank. The bank itself would cancel the application/card.

They said, "You have to wait until the account is created before you can cancel it." What! This doesn't make any sense unless this is a scam worse than the Nigerian Prince scam. So now it's going to be on my credit report as a new credit card and increased limit on my lending limit, thus resulting in another company not allowing me get the 0% balance transfer. This is a Scam so they can open more accounts and not allow you to cancel or close them until the next month.

Several years ago new credit card laws went into effect. I was sent a letter from Citibank saying that they were increasing APR's across the board for all their low interest cards, even if you paid on time and had a perfect payment history. They gave you the option of closing the account and keeping it at the same low rate which for my accounts were 10% and 6%. Recently I called to make a payment and asked what my Apr was showing to make sure they weren't overcharging me. They both went up both 2%. Not much, however it was part of the agreement that they would stay fixed for the entirety of the pay plan. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she says, "I show your account was closed for delinquency". They act like I don't know what I am talking about. Has anyone else gone through this?

My forward card was the oldest of my credit card accounts. Had it with Citi for 7 years. A while ago they removed the 5% cashback on books/movies/restaurants, so I stopped using the card and spent most of the money on other cards. Then they just closed my card without any prior warning/communication. I am really pissed that they just don't care about the customers at all. My impression is the people at Citibank are just very ignorant and incompetent. You are better off having business with other banks.

I applied for a Citi credit card. With my credit scores I knew I would have been approved. However I got a decline letter in the mail. It stated that I had a delinquent remark on my credit report and this is why they declined my request. However I called them back and told them that there must have been an error. Customer service told me that I needed to contact the credit company.

About 2 weeks later I was approved for a 20K loan for a vehicle and was given my credit reports. None of the 3 credit reports I was given stated I had a delinquent remark on my credit and one of the reports was the report that they used. I called back and they told me that I could apply again and there was no way they could go over the previous application or do a manual review. I have 4 credit cards with a great credit score. I was declined for a false reason and they want me to reapply. Haha, I will make sure that I never do business with Citi bank as long as I am alive.

I have had CitiCard Mastercard for years. Never a problem with payments being credited properly. Love the reward points. Recently my card number was "lifted" and fraudulent purchases were made. Citibank caught the fraud immediately, notified me and verified the fraud, and overnighted me new cards. Additionally I was not going to be held liable for the fraudulent purchases. This all occurred in less than 24 hours. Who could ask for more?

I changed some information on my account after paying it in full on both Citibank cards in June 2016. Some time went by without any bills... no big deal didn't owe them anything. I get a call in December stating that I am overdue to the tune of 247.53 of which 136 was in late fees. Up to this point we had always paid before the due date and paid off on a regular basis. With an 850 credit rating you think they would cut us some slack. Anyway I thought the call may be scam so I refuse to deal with the caller and call the number on the back of the card. Yep... they had me as owing the money.

But here is where it gets interesting. They say they tried to contact me via email and phone as I was on paperless billing. I never asked for that, we don't do paperless for this very reason. They sent it to an old email that had been changed on the one account but not the other. They also suggested that I had either checked the box for paperless or had left the paperless OPT OUT unchecked when I created the account. What??? You mean it's my fault if you change my status for billing. They would not make any adjustment to the charges and would not fix my damaged credit. I had the offending card cancelled after paying them their blood money by bank debit card.

I've filed a consumer complaint with the government and I am writing my congressman to see if they can enact legislation to force credit companies to send a paper past due for any account over 30 days overdue. This will at least stop people from getting ambushed by these thugs. I would not recommend this company for any credit card... Use anyone else. The two supervisors I talked with apparently have no power to do anything. They are basically just US operators and have no real supervisor capacity.

The first credits card I ever got was Citi MasterCard 1993. Last month I decided to close my account with them. I called and close my account. My balance of $230 was also paid on 12/06. Today I get an email saying I have not paid them and my balance is $255.38. Which $25 late fee and $3.38 interest. After calling them and being on hold for a long time waiting for account manager and supervisors. They have no record of my payment. Calling my bank finding out that Citibank have refunded my payment at 12/12.

Calling them back and gave them information and requesting to refund my late fee and interest. They are telling me since my acct is closed they can't refund me. This is bad business. Their representatives are not able to help you, their account managers and supervisors are not more knowledgeable either. For me, the best is to close my account and pay them the unfair fees and hopefully be done with them. Something else I don't like about this business is the representatives ask your full social security number. How would I know this person is trustable to have my full social. I don't have to use their credit card, I won't.

I spoke today to one of the customer representatives of Citi credit card. They were so rude and put calls on hold for unnecessary reason and argue a lot. The name of customer representative was Kaur. I believe she should be immediately fired. She was so arrogant, it looked like that she was having a party and I disturbed her. So rude and so arrogant, I am thinking of giving gifts up Citi credit card now.

CitiCard Company Profile