3.8/5 (424 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About CitiCard

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

CitiCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CitiCard?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

My family has been Citi-card customers for about 5 years. We have unsecured cards on which my spouse is the primary card holder and I am an authorized card holder/user. Up to mid-January the citi website allowed us to lock and unlock our cards, a feature I use as a security feature to prevent fraud. However, on 25 Jan '22 I noticed after logging on to our citi account online that my card was no longer displayed; I could not unlock my card. Same problem at the citi app on my phone.

I called citi customer service, suffered citi's interminable phone tree, and finally spoke with a live citi rep ...who informed me she could unlock my card, but only if my spouse (primary card holder) told her to do so. At that time my spouse was in a different location, and the citi rep said she had no other way to help me. The citi rep told me to call back when my spouse was available, and hung up on me.

I called back with my spouse early on 26 Jan, same interminable phone system, finally talked to a live citi rep, who sent us to the fraud department. The citi fraud rep asked my spouse if citi could send a text message, but my spouse's phone number was not showing up in citi's system, so the fraud rep refused to send a text to the phone number listed in the citi system for our account, claiming "once citi has rejected text messaging for one phone #, citi has to reject all text messaging", even though the rep had not sent an actual text message. The rep instead asked my spouse a series of verification questions. That should have been OK, except the verification questions were not particularly secure.

The citi fraud rep asked "did you charge $30 at Texas Roadhouse" and "did you have a $50 charge declined yesterday at Costco.com ...oops, that was actually 2 and a half months ago, so how about..." and a similar review of past activity on the account. The manner in which the rep asked the verification questions required only that my spouse answer "yes" to verify our card account. In spite of the poorly executed verification, the rep next proceeded to unlocking my card, but only after first implying that my spouse should not trust me with access to our citi account.

Eventually the citi fraud rep straight out told my spouse not to trust me regarding access to our online citi account. I doubt the rep understood how absolutely insulting the rep's insinuations and fraud prevention "advice" were to myself and my spouse. The rep was most likely reading from a script ...which would mean it is actually citi corporate policy to advise one spouse not to trust the other spouse. While that advice might be reasonable in specific, limited circumstances, it's a horrible approach in general. Citi should do a better job training their reps about fraud detection, how to phrase card verification questions, and how to discuss fraud with customers ...and to stay well away from badly handled, inadvertent marriage counseling: they are ill equipped in that arena. My spouse and I have been great customers for citi, but this interaction with citi customer service has us ready to close our citi account and find a better credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Citi advertises that you can earn 2% back on charges made on their credit card. That is very competitive EXCEPT you might have missed that they charge interest from the day you charge an item rather than the typical policy of every other credit card I have, including my other 2% rebate card, of having a grace period. No interest is typically charged by others if you pay your bill in full each month but Citi's interest charges starting right away more than offset your 2% rebate even if you pay your bill in full each month. I realize you should read all the disclosures (and it is there on p7 of your 8 page statement) but I assumed their policy would be consistent with industry practice. Sneaky and much to the consumer's detriment. Don't fall prey to this abusive practice.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Good Card. My credit is fair (Above 580). We have an unsecured card with 0% interest for 9 months. Great deal. The issue is the phone service. Someone opened an account without my consent. All the numbers you get to resolve the issue are fake. One rep just hung the phone up on me and my wife. I recommend a Discover Credit Card instead which we also have.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I have 2 credit cards through Citicard and they have done me wrong... TWICE! I was on vacation and ended up damaging the RV that we rented and in order to fix the damage I maxed out 1 of the 2 cards. These were the 2 cards that I took for purchases while we were on vacation with the intent of paying them off once we returned home, but because I maxed out the 1st card, Citicard closed my 2nd card and I literally had no money for the remainder of my vacation. That was the 1st experience I had with Citicard.

The second experience was just last year. Our main septic line collapsed in our home, I was in a bad car accident AND last August our central air unit broke and was unrepairable. All of these things completely drained our entire savings and we have had to rely on credit to get by until we can catch up... they did it AGAIN... took away all of the remaining credit that I had. I will NEVER use these cards again and as soon as they are paid off I am closing my accounts, never to do business with this company again. When you need it, they'll take it away every time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I filed a claim with Citibank credit card, and the company simply responds stating the charge is valid, and I lost your claim. I sent evidence citing I did not receive any products or services and it didn't matter. Citibank does not defend against claims in anyway. Especially if it's against a big company. The company even stated after their own investigation that they reversed the claim and sent a letter stating that, and Citibank still won't reverse the claim.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Their fees are outrageous, they leave fraudulent charges on your credit card for days, and I spent nine months, 10-12 hours on the phone, and three trips to the branch to get my $700 account opening bonus. Citi claimed to not get mail, so I started faxing. When they started claiming they did not get the required paperwork to pay the bonus via fax, I went to the their branch. After two attempts by the branch manager to get the paperwork acknowledged, I still had to open another dispute to get the $700 paid. AVOID!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I noticed that they charged me a late fee and I was surprised since I normally pay at least 3 days prior to my due date. I disputed the charge and Citi did issue a credit. So, I downloaded my past month statements. Oddly enough, I noticed the due dates were different for each month! I contacted customer service and the rep was awful - arguing with me stating that I was wrong! Why the heck would I be wasting my time calling? My point - always check your statements. DO NOT TRUST THIS BANK!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Absolute worst customer service EVER!! They will run you in circles and promise if you call this number, or talk to this department, they'll be able to help; well, no, they won't. It took me 5 contacts, well over 30 minutes on hold for just one contact attempt, to be put on 'hold', but hung up on instead, to find out they won't help. I've been with them for over 3 years, and it's been nothing but issue after issue. Don't waste your time, this card isn't worth it

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I have had 4 Citi cards and cards from other large banks. NEVER missed a payment, have made additional payments, credit line increased by Citi and balances have always been below 35%. Why after 5 years did Citi decide to lower my credit limits drastically, to right above the amount that is due on my cards. Needless to say this caused my credit score to tumble more than 40 points! None of my other creditors have done this. Spoke with a rep and they said it is because of high balances. Well I didn't have high balances before. Citi decided to ruin me! Once Citi is paid off for me they don't have to worry about giving me any type of increases. I'm done with them! Don't fall for their antics!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I have been their customer for decades and paying off my balance monthly. Now that I am relocating they put a fraud alert on the card when my moving company charged their fee, well no problem, I called to have it removed and they said, have the merchant repost the charge, all is good. Well, I went through this exercise 4 times and 3 hours later said, I give, post it to my Amex card. No problem at all with Amex. I will be cancelling Citi.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I have been Citi customer over 10 years. I use the card extensively. For last couple years, service was fantastic. From last couple years, Citi has become the worst bank & credit card service provider. My black Friday deals orders cancelled because of Citi detected them as fraudulent transactions. Calling them take me over an hour wait and rep unable to release payment. My orders have been cancelled and no way can get those deals. Today again trying to book flight tickets and transaction detected as fraudulent. Over an hour wait to get to rep and when advised okay to go, I lost the fair deal while booking. Now the fair prices are jacked up. What a ** service provider Citi has become!!! The poor rep told me that I was 120th caller reporting problems on same day. I need to start looking for some reliable credit bank provider.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Yesterday we closed the Citibank Credit card that we had for 30 (!) years. Prime reason for closing - awful customer service. Fraudulent activity has been detected on this card and we were asked to call, so we did. Have been kept on hold for 40 (!!!) minutes before got a chance to talk to representative. Representative was not able to clearly explain the process, it was hard to understand this person, she was reading some sort of script, and any simple question took her off from this script, so she started all over again and again. The entire fact that no one in this organization cares about why long time (30 years) customers leaving them is perfect example of poor customer service they have. They simply don't care, so we'll take our business somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I somehow got scammed while making a purchase online. I followed all of their instructions when I filed the dispute but Citi is still saying that I am responsible for the charges. This is the worst experience I've ever had trying to get a company to make things right. Go with a more reliable credit card company. Preferably one who will stand by its customers if you're ever the victim of an online scammer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I will only use this card for Costco or Costco gas. I made a purchase in Mexico for about $2,200.00 and had issues with the order. Once it was resolved the Company came and re-possessed the item. Citicard refused to lift a finger to help me, saying it was closed already. I just kept asking for something to show they were paid. Nothing. The Woman on the phone said there was no one else above her who could help me and her decision was final. So I got screwed and and working with a Mexican lawyer. Citibank will not help at all. I should have used another Credit Card. If it was not for the fact that I need to shop at Costco I would just cancel this card. I do not use it for nothing anymore. Would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Horrible place to deal with. I changed several Citi CC and they all got unauthorized charges on them. I stopped using this card, I didn't even take it with me. And still got over $2K on it! Someone paid for car! How did this happen if the new card was not exposed anywhere? I am just curious. I tried to close account, impossible to get through the machine to reach customer service. When I did I told them to close the account because I don't want to deal with Citi ever again and never send me new card. Guess what message I got? They sent me new card! How is that this never happened with all my other cards? And I have quite a few. Makes you thinking, right? If you want a headache - go get Citi card.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I was simply calling BACK a second time to unlock my card after receiving a Fraud Alert (charges were verified) used card minutes later then it was LOCKED again. After being on hold for 50 minutes, finally connected with a lady and they told me they could only "authorize/get access to" my Credit Card Account if I had the reference code from a letter they send in the mail?? I guess it's a good thing there are other Credit Card companies out there...Will NEVER use/swipe a Citi Card again!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Have 3 credit cards with them. Never late in a payment and suddenly my CL is lowered. Called CS for an explanation and CSR said had to call credit bureau for more information. She simply transferred my call without even letting me know.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Last May, I made an online purchase of some automotive parts using my Citicard in the amount of $1200. After months of waiting, I never received my parts. I tried numerous times to contact the so called merchant. I was not able to get any answers or satisfaction through these methods so, I reached out to the Citicard's fraud department and was assured that they would take care of the situation.

After weeks of waiting, they sent a letter stating that the case was closed and they were unable to help me. I again spoke with customer service and was reassured that Citicard would handle this. I again got a letter after weeks of waiting that they could not help me. This happened again 4 times and then I got a letter stating that the time period for fraud claims had expired and there was nothing they could do. I got my Citicard with the understanding that I was protected against fraud and that Citicard would help if the need ever arose. This never happened and my treatment and service by Citicard was and has been TERRIBLE! Do not ever count on Citicard to help you!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I'm making the rounds and copy/pasting my review from another site. Long but detailed... relevant to those of high income. Short summary below.

I would leave 0 stars if possible. I applied for and received a Custom Cash card due to the 0% apr offer and to potentially consolidate assets. I recently purchased a new home and planned to do furniture shopping. While I can pay cash for the furniture outright, like others reading this, you know that 0% means 0 interest, so my other funds can compound at higher rates and make more $ in the meantime as opposed to paying for furniture in full.

I have 0 debt beyond a mortgage (4500/m, 2.3%, 15 years), including no carried credit card balances, an 810 Credit Score, 6 figure income, and 6 figures liquid between bank and brokerage, and a spouse with similar income and credit. Despite this, Citi would only approve me for a $6300 limit. After receiving the card, I called Customer Service to discuss raising the limit. After they verified me, went thru the limit inc process, and despite the fact I've been an existing customer, I was denied a limit for being "too new" for Citi. I'm in my 30s and didn't know that a 20 year credit history of no late payments is considered "too new" for them until now.

I spoke to a supervisor (worthless) that said 'nobody' could help and that it would be months before I'm eligible for a limit increase. In the meantime, I work in the financial sector and will work hard to steer all of my clients, advisor, legal, and CPA partners (and theirs) away from an organization with such poor service, handling, and business sense over a limit increase for an existing client with an 810 score.

TLDR? Citi rejected a limit increase to an existing client in the industry with an 810 credit score and minimal debt. If you're of similar credit and income as me, Citi will punish our ability to pay on time by issuing small card balances.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Never get a CitiCard. You'll just get headaches and horrible "service." Not to mention a high-interest rate. Horrible company. I lost my job and there was no understanding, just late fees. No understanding from the reps either. I was paying Citi almost my last dollar but still not good enough. Now it's suing me! Stay far away.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I have had Citi for at least 25 years, and also most of my family has Citi cards. First time I made a payment for my very old mom because she took a vacation. But 2 weeks later her account is still showed no payment. The check that I sent electronically was cashed. I called on the customer service yesterday almost at midnight. The lady did not listen to my story, she kept saying she did not understand me. I got so frustrated, hang up. Today morning I called again (Sagar - customer service). He listened to my story and was able to let me know - Somehow the check went to my Citi account instead of her Citi account. He straight the problem out for me. Thank you very much Sagar for listening to me. Thank you for doing a great job. You got A+.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

DON'T GET A CARD FROM CITI. 40+ days to get a card from them. Lies after lies and excuse after excuse. Now they want to mail a check in 21 days... But they can't get a card to me in 40. Stay away. STAY FAR, FAR AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Opened this Citi Card to increase my card options a few months ago and I have not been able to log in online without having to reset my password. Every time I try to log in I have to reset it and several times I have had to call to get a reset. WHY? So they can try to sell me something. What a waste of MY time. I am going to pay this card off and will never have a Citi product again.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Getting a Citibank credit card was the worst mistake of my life. They keep declining my transaction and blocking the card and when you call them to unblock, they ask you 1 million unrelated questions. They need to change their system and hire new employees.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

When Costco departed ways with American Express and went with Citi Bank, my balance was automatically transferred to Citi. All payments continued to be made on time and exceeding the minimum required, if not paid in full. Fast forward to today: When my refrigerator died, I found one at Costco that would meet my needs. I called Citi to request a credit limit. Fully expecting not to be a problem, I was floored when my request was denied. Customer service could not give me a straight answer as to WHY.

My credit rating with them through Equifax was 802, which accordingly is recognized as exceptional. This was also the score range I maintained before losing my job and incurring medical bills beyond my ability to re-pay, resulting in being forced into bankruptcy. I paid the price for 10 years and expected that my previous excellent credit history would once again be re-established. HOW WRONG I WAS WHEN IT CAME TO CITI BANK, unlike all others. Upon being denied and further research and communication, I was told it was because there had been a bankruptcy which no longer applied (past the 10 year mark). It was no longer included in my credit history; - OR WAS IT?

With CitiCard it MOST CERTAINLY IS STILL A DETERMINING FACTOR WHEN CREDIT OR CREDIT LIMITS ARE REQUESTED. I'm told they still see it AND they base their decision on granting or denying credit ON THIS CRITERIA. No exceptions. It's not possible to correspond by e-mail on these matters; so, I wrote a letter to Janet Fraser, CEO and mailed it to her corporate office in New York City. I'm also certain she, herself, never read my letter, but her "team" did. This is when I received a call and the gentleman explained WHY they refused my request. NOTHING CHANGED.

All in all, it's good to know that unlike other financial institutions, Citi Bank chooses to penalize a person for life and refuses to look beyond the past, OR even recognize the (excellent credit history) PRE-bankruptcy period in one's life. Citi Bank sets their own criteria disregarding federal guidelines that other financial entities abide by. If it weren't for taking a ding on my credit score by lowering the ratio of credit usage to availability, Citi Card would be the first card I would choose to close. Sadly, it would again serve as a penalty if I closed this account. Something is terribly wrong with HOW our system works.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I've been a Citicard member since 2006. That's 15 years without a single missed payment until I changed my auto-pay amount and was unaware it didn't go through! That one time last month a payment was 8 days late! The amount was promptly paid the when I realize what happened. Instead of recognizing my superior record with Citi they decided to be an ** about it and cut my entire credit line on both card thus severely damaging my credit score!

I just paid off one card they now owe me five dollars! My credit was reviewed by an "Automated Consumer Interview System" via Equifax. A STUPID computer bot decided I should have my credit cut off! REALLY! Since my Equifax Report is Frozen I'm not sure where they conjured up this nonsense. I've just gone through every line of my credit report and there is nothing I repeat nothing derogatory to prompted you to do such a hideous thing.

When I called them no one wanted to take responsibility and there was no one connection with this to speak with. CITICARD reviews by using an "Automated Consumer Interview System." 15 years of credit history gone because of artificial intelligence, And I use that term loosely! A computer bot decided I should have my credit cut off! I want to let everyone know about Citicard's egregious behavior and the treatment of the senior clients. When considering an credit card for your business or personal use, this is not the one to choose, there are many other companies that value their long-standing clients. CITICARD IS NOT ONE OF THEM…

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Credit card dispute placed 2 months ago. Notified by email multiple times that Citi was investigating, then without any notice or communication to me or vendor, I noted on credit card statement I lost dispute despite vendor now saying they will refund me or have been trying to refund me. Have been unable to get in contact with a citi representative at all over last few days to discuss this.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I filed a dispute over a hotel reservation which was charged full amount to my CitiCard. I had email confirmation saying it is refundable up to 48 hours before the check in - the reservation date was 12 weeks away. When I had to cancel it, hotel initially said my rate was nonrefundable and refuse to refund. I filed the dispute with citi card, submitted my reservation confirmation email as a proof. For some strange reasons Citi closed the case not paying attention to my side of story and decided I am responsible for the charge without giving any explanations. Later, the hotel recognized their own mistake and refunded me but I will never forget Citi card did not support me when I needed them the most. I've been a card member with an excellent standing for 16 years. I'm considering to close my account.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Opened a Platinum Select Credit Card account to get a discounted fare on an airline ticket plus 40K airline miles after spending $3,000 in first 3 months. It took 11 days for the card to arrive. After charging the first $1,000 my card started getting declined. I attempted to reactivate card after reviewing charges on the app but was told I have to call. I called and was told my phone numbers were not associated with the account and so they could not send a reactivation code. The phone numbers were accurate and are still associated with the account.

The calls were taken from someone's house in a foreign country. Phone reception was horrible and they could not elaborate on reason for not reactivating and would not put a supervisor on the line. I was told I would have to wait for a physical letter to arrive to reactivate. They are making it very difficult to get my bonus miles. I am very disappointed in Citi in just 3 weeks of holding the card. I will continue to post as the experience continues. As of right now I wouldn't bother with their incentives and would not recommend their cards or services.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I've had this credit card from Citi Card, through Costco for a few years. When I didn't review the Costco account, Citi Card closed the credit card. A few months ago, Citi Card turned off the online access to the account and ability to make online payments. The only way to make the payment was call in or mail. I called in each month to make my payment. In March I made 2 minimum payments and received a "0" payment due for April. In May I paid the complete account in full. This month I received a bill for interest on the account. When I called them I was told they never received a payment for April and the interest would continue until two months after the final payment. This sounds crazy. Why would I be charged for interest on an account that is at "0" balance? I would not recommend CitiCard to anyone! The account has been closed and now paid in full, please stop charging me interest!

CitiCard Company Information