1.85/5
Based on 357 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2991 Chase Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

My husband and I have been with Chase Bank for 5 years now. I have always been told that if you cause an overdraft on the account you can pay it off before midnight to avoid an NSF fee. Well last night I was overdrawn and I deposited $100 at 11:30 pm. I wake up this morning to my account negative because Chase charged me an NSF fee at midnight. They said their cut off time is 11:00 pm but when I did the deposit at 11:30 pm it said I was positive. They told me that their SYSTEM processes between midnight and 7 am. This makes no sense. I have also had problems with ATMs taking money and not depositing it in my account and even lost a check at their ATM. The customer service is horrible and they basically tell you that “It’s out of their hands”. Chase is all about taking the customers' money!

Original review: June 20, 2018

In 2007 my step-daughter was charging my new husband's Chase Bank Card. I had already paid off that Credit Card for him and didn't want more charges on it. Since his daughter didn't follow his instructions not to put more charges on the card, my husband called Chase. Chase changed the number and told us no more of his daughter's charges would be accepted. Guess what? Chase not only continued to accept her charges but had the audacity to send my husband a notice that they had done so.

My husband's daughter continued to charge his card, lastly was an $800 charge for liquor and a spa day. I have never had a spa day. So my husband canceled the card and I did not pay the $800 charge. We contested the charges and after many weeks of fighting the charge we won and did not have to pay. All of this and my husband's daughter never had a card in her possession; she only had a CC number but she never had the new numbers Chases changed on the account. All of this was a vile and intentional scam on Chase's part.

You may think this was a long time ago and that I should forget it. I would for forget, except now Chase is doing it to me. I refused to hold a Chase CC in my name until I realized that it is the only way to enroll in Amazon Prime. So went ahead and applied for a card. I try not to use it but occasionally charges go on the card despite my intention not to use it. So I always try to pay off the card every month there is a balance on it. Chase doesn't show these balances online in a timely manner. I pay my bills online so when the Chase CC doesn't show a balance, which is most of time I don't make a payment.

That is what happened on June 11, 2018. On June 11 there was no balance shown online so I didn't make a payment. Today June 20, 2018 I received an email from Chase saying that I had failed to make the minimum payment. This is the second time this has happened to me since I got the Chase Card. BEWARE! Don't apply for Chase Credit Card unless there are no other options. There are reliable credit cards out there. I have three others with no problems.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Chase has the worst customer service. I always check my account multiple times a day to make sure the account stays positive. Chase randomly rearranges the balances. This is called reordering. My account says one thing at 1 am and another thing at 8 am. The other day I forgot about a check that hadn't cleared. There were already pending charges on the account and it was positive. When the check came through, that caused an overdraft fee. Okay, one fee. That was my mistake. Then the next day there were 3 more NSF fees! Those were for much smaller pending charges that had been there the day before. They reordered the balances so that the largest amount went in first and caused 3 more NSF fees! I spoke with several agents at Chase as well as 2 managers and they said they would take 1 charge off but they couldn't do anymore because there is a limit of 120.00 per year they can take off and that's not a calendar year either.

I finally figured out what they were doing. This has happened multiple times where the amount in my account changed from one day to the next without any more charges. They told me it was probably a glitch. All the people were so rude and condescending. They proceeded to tell me I should keep a log of every debit transaction to keep up with it. I guess if I am going to do that I should just keep the money under a mattress! One guy even told me that when I write a check then it may not come out right away until they cash it! Really??? Wow mindblowing! I didn't know that! They think everyone is stupid. They went through a class action lawsuit in 2012 about these same practices of holding checks and reordering charges to make more NSF fees. It looks like they are going back to their old ways.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have been having an ongoing issue with this company. They have a limited amount of times when they are willing to reverse overdrafts. Knowing this I always makes sure to stay on top of my account. I have signed up for alerts, emails, and text messages. Yet after 5pm these features lag and do not work. I checked my account at 9pm one day and saw that I was not negative in my account. Then the next morning all these pending things went through all at once and I was immediately charged 34$. When I contacted them they refused to even listen. They really need to learn how to better manage fees and how to respect clients. They are unprofessional and inconsiderate. They lose no money at all, but will take money from clients to make a quick buck.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My mother passed away on March 1st at 88 years of age. My brother and I are the only heirs. She had a cd with Chase for a long time (I believe) along with several other accounts so working through the process along with grieving has been difficult. We went to her old brand in Moreno Valley CA to get the money, which happened. But we were charge $140 fee because it renewed recently. This was not waived despite a long time customer and very little interest. On top of that we were forced to listen to a half hour sales pitch from a Chase rep on their investment options which neither of us had any interest in whatsoever. Not just unprofessional but bordering on heartless. Stay away from Chase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: June 13, 2018

Chase failed miserably to protect our money and managed to blame us for their mistake. We placed a stop payment on a vendor that was in breech of contract. Evidently the stop payment wasn't processed correctly because Chase granted them access to withdraw over $900 from our account. As a small startup business every dollar counts and Chase is refusing to accept responsibility for their screw-up. We are packing up our money and switching immediately. We can't afford to accept their incompetence or trust they have our backs.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I spoke with Jeff an supervisor in Chase credit department could recall his last name. The whole process was poorly ha see and he made it seems it was my fault. Even though it wasn’t, I requested a refund from a Chase credit card balance on 06/01/18 and the person who handle it initially didn’t process it correctly. As an result they put a stopped payment on the check and I wasn’t notified and my Chase checking account now in the negative. He offer no help to resolve this issue that they cause. I’m long time Chase customer and have multiple accounts and about the closed all 4 of my accounts. Complete ridiculous and poorly handle by the Chase credit card department.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was directed to four different people for routine questions -- and none could answer the question. They also took my personal information twice, and I don't know why it was needed more than once, but that gave them access to my account and they still were not able to answer my questions.

Original review: June 6, 2018

(If you're after facts only skip to the last paragraph.) I have banked with Chase for years now. My wife and I when we were first married got sucked in by their get $100 for setting up an checking account. I have always hated the overdraft penalty payments and felt it was outrageous to charge $34 for going negative in your checking account. So my wife and I avoided it and of course inevitably being human sometimes we would forget about a check or a automatically pulled bill or whatever. Most of the time we would just go get a check loan because the interest charges on that loan was cheaper than having the overdraft's fee... this last experience has opened my eyes to a truth I always felt but never really acknowledge this bank is a titan.

A huge corporation that sells enough "goodwill" and "customer satisfaction" bull crap covered with golden bells and whistles. (It's like being in an abusive relationship. They give you as little as possible but just enough for you to stick around, and think they care about you and next time things will be different.) They have a customer satisfaction recovery (or whatever they call it) of $100 that can be credited back (within a calendar year) to your account from overdraft fees. Sound reasonable (until you really think about how their "system" is set up versus what is a reasonable, easy, and fair format that could be geared for the customer) in these last few months I lost a job.

Due to personal events in the last few months I had to take more and more check advancement loans, Borrow from family, and Juggle bills into 30, 60 and sometimes 90 days past due... with all this, unfortunately my account frequently got hit with overdraft fees and I was grateful for the credits I did receive but I was always upset with how the "system" pulled the checks or Bills that don't display as pending. On my statement it always pulls the highest dollar amount first. Of course they explain this as a lateral pull. That the computer pulled them all at the same time and if there is not enough for all of them they all get overdraft fees... this borderlines criminal to me, I'm not stupid. Someone had to design the system. Someone one had to set it up and program it how to function. And this is what they choose, it gets them the most money and makes you feel like an idiot all at the same time.

(Simple math if you have checks/Bills for $25, $75 and $105 coming out the same day and only have $100 In your account, it pulls the $105 then $75 then $25 so now you got charged $34 x3 (the company's limit for goodwill/charity reimbursement)). But they make it sound like they are doing you a big favor helping you out this one time. Don't expect to receive any more help because the system CANNOT be changed or altered there is no manager override or case by case allowances made. (You know like a person doing business with another person that can make judgment calls or case by case situations.) Literally you're just $ to this all mighty cold, unchanging, Rigged against you "system" known as Chase Bank.

After seeing this happen the last few paychecks (once I started a new job). I started to try to get my finances in order but still needed to get check loans. I tried to wise up and even though I hated taking out multiple check advancement loans the 400% interest rate (or whatever they charge) is cheaper than 1 overdraft charge. I would only take out what I needed the day I needed it (for an upcoming bill (or whatever) to keep my interest $ amount lower but this sometimes would result in 2 or 3 different ones in between my paychecks (every 2 weeks). This time around since I have been charged about an extra $100 the last 2 or 3 checks. This time I made sure to get a loan for the next set of checks and again the interest rate is cheaper than overdraft fees. I put that cash into an ATM that night before theses checks pull.

To my disappointment I still get charged an overdraft fee for each one (despite the cash I just put into my account and because of how the system pulls) so like a reasonable person I think they will look and see this is clearly a case by case type of situation where I put the money in. The system for whatever reason pulled the checks first and accounted for the cash after even though on a timeline that's not how it happened. I get told very professionally to go ** myself, I can't receive any help. I have maxed my goodwill, and the cash was deposited past the deadline set in place even though the checks haven't pulled.

I could (and did) make additional card purchases from that account that night. The system charges everything with an overdraft fee because they all processed at the same time but cleanly. So even with the cash I put in NOT being able to stop the overdraft fees. They (the system) charged the largest one first putting my account negative $5 domino effecting the other 2 resulting in another $100 in fees (Opposed to having a system designed for the customer and pull the cheapest before charging an overdraft. In this case I would have been hit with 1 not 3 overdraft fees). Even after calling and talking to several different people I get the same answer, "The system won't let us", "We cant go past the $100 goodwill", "No. The system doesn't pull the biggest $ amount first, yes I see you could have covered the other 2 if they were pulled first but THE SYSTEM can't be changed", "Should have deposited the cash 12 minutes sooner" etc.

**In summary as factual as I can provide** 9:12 pm Local time cash deposited (11:12 pm Eastern) 12 minutes past the magical deadline. Use my account for an online purchase afterwards to make sure my account was in good standings. Wake up to being Changed $100 overdraft fees. I call to inquire why. That's when I find out about his magical timeline. I missed by 12 minutes. I use the last of my goodwill to reverse one of the fees. And told even though I could have covered the other 2 the first one put me negative and snowballed the other 2 making more overdraft fees. "It's just how the system is" (see above the **simple math** for a more detailed explanation).

I and the bank could do nothing about it now. Basically in professional words sucks to be me and Go ** myself because Chase doesn't care. "And thanks for being the best part of Chase". So if your human and make mistakes, if you are not perfect in your financial choices, if you like being treated like garbage in a professional way this bank is for you. (And yes they have some great qualities too. But it's like that really attractive person that is just mean and self centered and it makes them less attractive.)

Original review: June 5, 2018

I am currently on vacation in Orlando, Fl. Me and my family were at Disney Animal Kingdom on 06/04/18 entering the park. Afterwards, my son wanted a Disney souvenir. I proceeded to a nearby ATM. It was a Chase Bank ATM. I used my Regions debit card and punched in my code. The machine gave several selections to choose from, so I tapped 200 dollars. The machine rattled and made noise, afterwards it did nothing. No cash, no receipt, and no souvenir for my child. This ATM had taken my 200 dollars. This occurred around 12 pm. I was wearing a Pittsburgh pirates team shirt and shorts and a Disney logo hat. I hope you at Chase see the surveillance video to verify that this occurred and I am very disappointed in the way my family was left without a memorable vacation experience at Disney Animal Kingdom due to this transaction mishap.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was at work and found that I did not have my ATM card. I called and reported it lost. I was told that if I found the card before midnight the next day they could reactivate the card. I got home and found it. When I called to get it reactivated I was told that they could not reactivate my card because they needed to a code to my cell phone and they did not have my cell phone number on file. I have a Chase app on that phone. They would not send the code to my email or as a secure message I could read when I logged in. The people who work in the call center did not seem to understand English well and kept repeating the same things. Either they don't understand their job or English.

Original review: June 3, 2018

My son was given a counterfeit $20 bill from a Chase ATM. We returned it to the bank, as it would be illegal to try to pass it to some unsuspecting merchant. They took the money and have refused to credit my son's account. They seem to think their ATM counterfeit detection system is foolproof, and the bank manager actually told me that I should have been able to tell that it was counterfeit. (Even if I had been able to detect that, it STILL came from their ATM!) They refuse to take responsibility for accepting counterfeit money from someone and passing it to me. I will report them to the Secret Service, since they broke the law by passing counterfeit money to a customer.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The branch in Rochester, MI has frequent problems with ATMs - machines are often out of order or out of cash. Today was even worse. I tried to withdraw $400 in cash, and ATM chewed them back while I was putting the card back in my wallet. The balance showed that money was withdrawn. I tried to call the number printed on the receipt multiple times, but was caught in endless loop of robo advertising for some "great auto insurance rates". It took quite a lot of my time with no result. Finally I called the number on my bank card and I was told I need to file some claim. Why do I need to file a claim for my money that were not dispensed??? The whole thing is ridiculous. I have to think to take my money somewhere else...

Original review: June 2, 2018

I used the drive-thru ATM last night and was robbed. The machine took funds from my account but did not dispense my cash. No employee of this organization cared to offer any assistance. They have no support for their own ATM available. Acknowledged that this happens regularly and apparently don't care to resolve the issue.

Original review: June 2, 2018

So 02/25/18 I go into a Chase Bank and purchase 200.00 in British pounds. They tell me the pounds will arrive in 2 business days. The pounds arrive 5 business days later. It is then too late to use the pounds. They tell me it will take 3 to 5 more business days to credit the purchase price back to my account. So after two weeks I will get 200.00 back for something they couldn't provide. I called Customer Service and spoke to a Supervisor who basically said " Tough luck".

Original review: May 31, 2018

Chase cashed a personal check my son had written out for high senior portraits. The photography studio (new) office manager told him the wrong amount due (told him it was $5610 but in reality it was $2610). I tried to contact the studio the same day but did not get a returned call. I’ve been waiting on a manager to call me back for 2 days. The personal check was deposited into the photographer account even though the teller saw my account would be in the negative -$3800 of the check was cashed. The transaction was done in less than 10 hours. I called at 6:15 am - as soon as I got the overdrawn notification I demanded the check NOT clear. I would rewrite the CORRECT check amount and all the bs could have been avoided.

After Chase telling me they’d freeze the account to allow me to connect with the photographer and gave me 30 days they took funds from 2 other accounts to settle the negative balance without telling me. Instead of freezing the account Chase allowed any and all purchases to hit the account the whole 20 days I was in England (clinical trial for terminally ill son). I came home to over $1000 just in NSF fees. The photographer refunded the $3000 but not for 26 days. During this time my unemployment checks and child support payments were being absorbed into the negative balance during the month. THERE WAS NO FREEZE AS INDICATED!! A few days ago, the money I had been able to save for rent was stolen by Chase Collections. Our car was repoed a few days ago because Chase Bank wouldn’t honor the payment monthly payment but sure did charge me an NFS charge.

I called Chase within 12 hours of the personal check being written and told them about the mistake and was told, "Sorry. We can’t help you!!!" Today a branch manager told me I should have “demanded” that check not be honored. And if that didn’t work, go into the bank location. Well, I did demand and was told, "We can’t help you." I couldn’t go into the location because I was flying to England the very same day this all occurred. The unsympathetic branch manager said she’d reverse 4 NFS fees. Which still left me negative.

I’m a single mom of 4 who lost everything to Hurricane Harvey. Chase said they honored the check because I was such a good customer. Chase only honored the check because they knew they make money off of lot the NFS. I specifically told them that I couldn’t monitor this situation from abroad so they tricked me into believing they would freeze my account. Which apparently they never do, not even for “good customers”. Chase is a $2.789 TRILLION company and they can’t reverse their illegal practice?? I don’t have overdraft protection on checks so who says they can act on my behalf? Hell, I get popped for fraud at least once a month when I’m getting gas. Thanks Chase!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I deposited money into my account before the 7 pm cut off date so I could avoid receiving any fees. They still gave me the fees and overdrafted my account. Now I have two outstanding bills and it has ruined me for having any extra money. I need that money and I'm thinking they flag the people who are low on money and find the right time to add overdraft fees. This place is a joke. After all my payments have gone through, I am getting a different bank.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Went with my LLC team to start an account. They could not answer questions without calling corporate. Highly untrained. It's supposed to be their job, and they can't do it without calling corporate. They were rude and snobby. I'm definitely taking my business elsewhere. I'd like to bank with people who know their job and can do it. I was treated as if I wasn't important. Well I'm going to another bank where I am important.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Chase Bank is no different than any bank today, profit is above customer service and it really doesn't matter how much money is on deposit. I threw a large payment on a mortgage I had with Chase and instead of applying it to the principal they broke it down into payments. I almost had to hire a crooked lawyer to get them to reverse the payments and apply it directly to the principal.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have opened a business account with Chase for a year now and lately I have been having some trust issues with the way they manage the transactions. And when I decided to call customer service their services are horrible not looking forward to fulfill the customer's needs. I'm for sure closing my account with them.

Original review: May 26, 2018 Chase is excellent in all areas of customer service. Their service reps are kind, patient, and knowledgeable. They always resolve my issues on the first call.

The only suggestion I would make is they have multiple reps available to speak whatever language is required. Sometimes I have a problem with accents, but this is quickly resolved.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have been worried that they were hacked and a lot of accounts like mine were compromised. I applied for a credit card online and they sent a credit card to my home address but the card had another person's name on it. No one I knew or who had ever lived here. This happened about Jan 23, 2018 and they still have not given me a status update on the fraud. I did all the fraud alerts they asked me to do but they still have a fraud alert on my account and I cannot get credit. Yesterday UPS tried to deliver an envelope to my home with the name of the person who applied and got a $5000 card approved. I know because I still have the card and I showed it to them, and they told me to destroy it. Why would I destroy evidence?

Original review: May 25, 2018

I opened up an account with Chase Bank 2 months ago. I deposit about 15 to 20k a month. Unfortunately I had 3 fraud charges on my debit card. The 1st month, I tried to use my card and it kept saying it was rejected yet the vendor still charged me 3 times, at 1st Chase was helpful and gave me a provisional credit but then because there are multiple charges/claims which of course I told them I tried to use the card 8 times and it was rejected and they could see that on their system. I even explained I tried getting a credit from the merchant and they told me to file a claim with my bank. Long story short Every time I call in I get somebody that I can barely understand and they can't understand me and it's from a different country and all they can do is read off financial regulations.

At any rate I was told that I would get a provisional credit and then when I called to see why didn't receive the provisional credit they told me today that my account was permanently closed and couldn't give me a specific reason as to why. I'm assuming it's because I had the claims in such a short time frame of opening the account. I've never had to file any claims before but I have to assume that's the point of the bank being insured for fraud as well as it was for $2,600.00 and they gave me misinformation several times and I deposit a higher amount so it wasn't the point of trying to receive funds. So frustrating. Now they just drop my claim, close my account and no one can tell me why.

The other thing I don't like is all a merchant has to say is the charges are legitimate and they just close your case. Where my protection as the consumer??? I'm so frustrated. I'm assuming they restricted and closed my account before the 10 day rule of having to give me a provisional credit if it's not resolved before then. I'm mad so now I'm just out 2600.00 and have to change 20 direct deposits and get a new bank???

Original review: May 25, 2018

I've had to change my bank account number because I was hacked. Chase helped me so much to get it all straightened out. When I lost my ATM card, the account number was charged immediately and I received a new card within 4 days. Their online site is easy to navigate. Customer service is the best I've ever encountered. Very short wait time when you call them. Highly recommended.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Used this for our business and then for our mortgage. We were very pleased with their suggestions as how to manage our money with few fees and continue to use them fifteen years later.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I've loved banking with Chase for many years but after having several issues with customer service not understanding what my needs were and calling repeatedly to clarify questions I had already answered, I decided to close my account. When I went into the actual branch, the kid that helped me close my account said I would have access to the account to withdraw my refund that was on its way. Incorrect.

This was after several hours of receiving incorrect info from claims and customer service. The supervisor of the claims department told me to file a claim as "fraud" even though it was technically a "duplicate." Him telling me to actually commit fraud was extremely concerning. It is a full week later and still no access to my account and still have not seen any movement with my claim. They said they would finish by August 5th. 2 months??? Why do they need 2 months to "investigate"? Seems excessive. Very disappointed. Never any issues until some policy change. I am glad to no longer be "the best part of Chase". Honor your word when you make your representatives say that at the end of every call. Listen to calls if you have to answer questions multiple times. Hire people who understand English.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have no quarrels with CHASE except that it continually provides me with a PDF for one of my credit cards that is inaccurate. No one owns fixing the problem. I am disgusted with lack of a response.

Original review: May 24, 2018

A financial person in the past had tried to sell me annuities. I did not buy. He lives near me. Recently went to speak to my "Personal Banker" about money. She got up and reappeared with the same fellow. He looked at me and said disdainfully, "I don't deal with her. Find somebody else." It was uncalled for and ignorant. Chase bill pay is difficult, too. Bank does not breed confidence. I also found recently there has been a monthly deduction from my account without my consent or knowledge from some company attached to a Sears card. I have not had a Sears Card for about 10 yrs. It is American Health and Life. There is no voided check or signature from me asking for this insurance.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I signed up with Chase in Colorado Springs, Colorado and they were absolutely there for me, helping me get my finances in order.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I leased a car with Chase Capital for 42 months. My lease expired on 05/01/2018. I did not returned the car back till 05/12/2018, when I a leased another Mazda for which I was charged the full month lease. I called Chase to give me back the money for the first car that I returned and I was told that Chase is unable to give the money back. At this moment I am paying for two cars when I only have one. I think that Chase cannot charge customers for monthly lease. The bank is taking advantage of the customers.

Chase expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.

• Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.

• Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.

• Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.

• Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.

• Best for: Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg