Chase Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They're overall terrible. They love to charge for everything as if they don't make enough money off of interest that they charge. With every company they try to lie to customers and say that's all we can do but there is always something else they can do but they don't like to help anyone. They love to steal because they're thieves. Worst bank ever. Don't ever bank with them. They charge for everything.

I called Chase customer service and was told to go to a branch office. I was informed I could not put my money into my Trust Fund because it is not a new account. Synchrony Bank has the forms right online, no problem. This is typical of Chase Service.

Lured by the promise of Chase Bank's $200 bonus for opening a checking account, I decided to open a Chase account and leave my old bank, who had also greatly disappointed me recently. I stopped in at a local Chase location and spoke with an account manager. This is a difficult month for me - I have rent due - but I scraped up a couple hundred dollars and figured we could get this done and it would work out well in the long run. The account manager took my information and told me that I had an outstanding balance of $100.27. Said it was a charge-off from an old account, one I'd had with my roommate a couple years ago. I didn't realize that she had left a balance, but I figured it was still worth it and ponied up the hundred bucks to close out the books on that account and start fresh.

The manager took my money and only THEN told me that - not only would I be ineligible for their $200 bonus dues to the old charge-off account - but that they would not be able to open ANY account for me due to some supposed negative information that a third-party firm had reported against me. So, not only was I not able to open an account - I was NOW short ANOTHER $100 that they took to balance out the old account. They could have told me that FIRST but no! They wanted to make damn sure they got their money. If you're considering opening an account at Chase - think first. If they tell you that they need to collect some old account first, DON'T PAY IT! Just walk out and go somewhere else.

I use to love Chase. They were the best. I got all my children to use them too. And then they grew. Their customer service is extremely rude now. On phone and in person. They are never forgiving for any fees and literally are rude to you when you want to discuss. They remind me of Comcast. They have become so large they feel they are able to lose of customers. Completely rude. We will all be taking our money out of Chase. They are not the only bank. Sad. Use to be great had gone downhill quickly.

WE WERE HACKED AND NO ONE CARES. First you don't believe it even though WE traced it came from across the ocean. Our 12 did the work, that you couldn't. And you said you'd review and nothing. 2 months now - NOTHING. When we first went into the bank an employee immediately saw the hack, then when submitted no one believed us. Why. We are just trying to get thru life and need your help. Please help us. Other than this kerfuffle we always liked your bank--no problems--we don't want to change. Just trying to get thru this. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Every month, I have to change my login. If I could pull my loan, I would, but I didn't get a choice. They are rude and all I want to do is pay the bills. Worst bank ever!! Customer service is terrible! If I could rate this bank -100, I would.

I am totally confused with Chase Bank. I have been a customer since 1988 or so, and I received a letter this week saying they were going to cancel my account with no reasoning listed in the letter. Why in the world would they just up and close someone's account like this? This is really a slap in the face, and the least they could do is give people a reason for their actions. If this is how they treat long time customers then I would advise everyone to go somewhere else to do their banking. There are a lot of good banks out there, but Chase Bank is obviously not one of them any longer.

I purchased a dishwasher from Kmart from site to store (item was at warehouse and needed shipped to physical store for me to pick up). Expected ship time was 1-2 weeks. 2 days later I get an automated call from Kmart saying it is in, call their physical store to confirm this and they say "No." After 2 weeks "No," a month "no." Try reaching out to Kmart HQ, they can't find it. Kmart grants a refund, but for some reason card won't process the refund so I open a claim. Kmart responded to the case simply by saying, "We shipped him the item, here is the order info, and typed text saying picked up." Chase used this as official evidence that I picked up the item.

IN SUMMARY, CHASE DOES NOT REQUIRE VENDORS TO PROVIDE A SIGNATURE OF YOU PICKING UP THE ITEM!!! YIKES!!! It's 2017 and this low level of service exists!!! So long as you have a major vendor saying you got an item, Chase said they did all they can and won't accept your fraud report... Go with Capital One if you want protection. Chase markets protection, they don't offer it though. Kmart gave me a cash refund at the local store, still upsetting and took 2-3 months.

I redeemed 20K worth of bonds and the idiot of a manager Cassandra said there is no proof/scans/documentation of the physical paper I handed them. 20K worth of paper and you don't scan it? I called another branch and the guy found it in 10 minutes. This manager is just extremely rude and doesn't know what she's doing. I almost lost my mortgage due to this!

Remote deposits it constantly errors that the image isn't clear enough. I have the LG V20, top camera in a phone. Then it crashes. Yesterday they say, "Oh, it's maintenance." It wasn't. Today it happened again. They didn't even bother with that bogus excuse. I'm here with 2 checks that I can't deposit. That doesn't even make sense.

I've never been treated as terribly by a business as I've been treated by Chase Bank. I worked in customer service for many years and have a lot of compassion for people that work with the public, however, they have treated me terribly twice. One time I went into the bank and was speaking to a personal banker at her desk. Another man that worked there came in and told me to LEAVE!!! I was shocked and asked him why. He kept saying "you know why and finish your business then leave!!!" He also said I wasn't and I wasn't allowed back. I asked the personal banker that I was doing business why he told me this several times and she couldn't tell me. I left feeling so confused and humiliated.

It turns out he thought I was another person that he had a bad encounter with and cancelled their account. He never asked me my name or ask the banker that was helping me who I was even though she had all my information on the screen. I called and ask that a supervisor call me but no one called. So, I called back the following week. The supervisor told that man that kicked me out to call me back. That man left a voice mail saying it was just a case of mistaken identity. He thought I was someone else like it was no big deal.

Funny thing is that, according to the supervisor, he wasn't even suppose to be working in that area of the bank. There were so many other professional ways he could have handled the situation. He could have used discretion and called the other personal banker I was sitting and talking with and asked my name or even asked me, but instead he just started yelling and embarrassed the hell out of me. I spoke to a man that worked at another bank about how he treated me and he couldn't believe that a bank would ever talk to their customers that way.

I had a charge off on an account and paid it off. I opened a new account and was waiting on a direct deposit from the IRS. The bank manager informed me that once my deposit came in it would automatically transfer to the new account. Well that was the first lie. The rest of the long list of lies came from various departments in the customer service department. I was told they don't transfer from one account to the next so my funds will have to be sent back. I also was told the check bears both my name and my wife name which is why it can't be deposited. The bank manager went as far as telling me to contact the IRS which I did and the very helpful agent informed me that Chase can deposit the check in my account but they just don't want to!!! Chase Bank has put my family through pure hell these last few days with all the lies. Will never recommend this bank to anyone.

On March 12 2016 I personally handed a deposit to a JP Morgan Chase Bank branch manager. I have been working for almost a year to get my deposit back. It took going to Superior Court showing a police record of my deposit's existence for Chase's own lawyers from Dickinson Wright looking for my deposit to find this out in March 2017. I hold JP Chase Bank personally responsible for losing my property and lying to me all this time about it. Any member of state or federal law enforcement agency reading this. I can provide you with everything you need to look into this serious matter.

On April 3, 2017 I deposit a check of $260 in a ATM machine. The money was never deposit and it ate my check and give me a receipt to call customer service so when I contact the claim the department they willing help me to recover my $260. Now! It's May 1, 2017 and they reversed my $260 check claim. I called, "why did my money got taken out" and they say that the check I got from my boss was a bad check but they don't know why. I asked to send me a photocopy of the check. They said, "It will arrive on Wednesday." I called on Thursday saying I never got the photocopy check from the mail and they say they don't have it -_-. I ask for proof or facts on why the check is not valid. They transfer me to someone else saying there no document on the check.

I called my boss and he informed me a fact that his check was good. And that he was charged $260 on April 5 on his account that his check is good. My bank branch is not helping too. They say they can't find any information of the check which is really weird that I can't get my hands on a photocopy of my check. It's like the bank, the branch, or claim department is keeping me to get a solution and to give up my money. Once my boss comes back for vacation on May 24 he can give me a photocopy of the check so I can solve this ongoing problem I been trying to solve for 15 days.

I have been a customer since they were Washington Mutual. I liked them a lot better then. A company that makes some of its money on the old 'gotcha auto-renews' hit me for $47. Chase decided to side with the company "because you disputed the charge AFTER they charged you". Let that sink in for a second. Anyway, I am currently house shopping and need a new car, both of which were going to be done through Chase. Hope that $47 was worth it. Pennywise they say.

I'm a Chase Bank customer more than three years. They say to apply credit card with many ads and offers on web page. So, I have applied for it. When I called them for application status, they said to send residence proof. As I moved recently to a different state, I got a temporary license. I mentioned same thing to them, they said to send it to them in fax. I did. Now they are saying it won't work for them, wait until I get license card to home and fax that again. So, I have to wait until it reaches me. If 30 days period ends for my application, they will reject my application and I asking me to re-apply, again credit check, again 30 days wait period for approval. I requested them to hold my application to update my supporting documents, but they rejected my request. This is so rude, I never face a problem with any other banks. I would like to share my experience to all my friends and colleagues. Worst customer service.

Stay away from this CRIMINALS, CROOKS. When you do a balance transfer for say 15 months, they start charging you interest when their offer expires, even if you still have interest-free time left on your transfer, then they give you some ** about when the offer expired as to why they are charging you interest, so at the end you end up paying more than if you did not do the transfer. They are counting on us not remembering when we did it, so write everything down. And stay away from Chase Bank. In my case I did a balance transfer on 03/13/16 for 15 months and they started charging interest on 10/13/16. That's only 6 months, what happen to the other 9 months?

I went to Chase Bank to cash out a Chase Bank US government debit card provided by the census bureau. The branch office was not familiar with the program and said the information on how the program works is not sent down from their upper levels on how the program works. After they failed on their attempt to cash the card they informed me that one attempt could be tried a day making the card invalid. They rudely blamed me for waiting until the end of the time period to try and cash the card. I ending up standing in the car line outside the bank with a manager to cash the card at an ATM. A complaint to customer support with a request to receive a follow up call was not followed up on. This is not an organization I would recommend.

I went to make a deposit INSIDE the branch and when I arrived at home, I was looking over the receipt and noticed that the teller had 1) Deposited the funds into my personal account when I asked her to deposit it into my business account and 2) failed to deposit an entire 350$ dollars. I called the branch back and asked to speak with the teller and they informed me that she had gone home for the day & having brought the cash in labeled disposable envelopes which she had disposed of for me, I thought that maybe there was a chance that she threw the envelope away with the cash inside of it; the teller was able to recover the envelope with the written cash amount (the amount that was missing) with no cash in it. This was in the middle of the week, and the banker told me that she would have the bank manager call me back.

Additionally, I overdrafted sometime after 10PM (I say after 10PM because that is when I last used my card and I had checked prior to using it to make sure I had sufficient funds) BECAUSE of the lack of funds and was made aware when I checked my email early this morning. I went to the bank and deposited the amount to ensure that the amount would not charge the overdraft fee only to be told that the overdraft fee would not be waived because it was past the "cut off time" which is 8PM Pacific time. So I literally would have to go back in time to have any possibility of correcting that. To top it off, I was charged not 1 but 3 overdraft fees totaling $104.00 and was told I had until 8 PM that same day to pay it off in order to avoid an ADDITIONAL 104$ fee PER DAY.

Left with no choice, I paid the amount that would have been in there had Chase not STOLEN my other 350$ that they have neglected to look into. I have been severely inconvenienced by Chase and will close ALL of my accounts with them as soon as I get MY $450 back. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY from Chase. They will simply misplace your money and charge you ridiculous amounts under ridiculous policies.

In February, my landlord contacted me when they had not received the rent check. I immediately contacted CHASE to let them know that the check was stolen and deposited. The representative emailed an affidavit which my landlord and I notarized at a local ATM branch. I was initially told the investigation could take 90-120 days, but then told that because it was a Chase to Chase transaction, it would take 30 days. We are now in May. I have called numerous times and have been escalated to none other than the Escalation Department. Every time they tell me they will send an email to someone and to call back 3-5 business days later. Of course, I call back only to explain the situation again and be transferred to the same Escalation Department that has no updates and can only tell me that it is in process.

Today I was just told I MIGHT have a resolution by June 15th. This is absurd that I would have to wait all this time. Why is this taking so long. From the very first day they knew it was deposited into a local ATM. There must be video footage from the ATM machine and obviously, an account number that it was deposited to.

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a bank (customer service and fraud departments). We have had to continuously monitor our account and transfer money from our CHASE savings to avoid missing payments and getting fees. My husband has even received overdrafts in the other CHASE account we have that is linked to auto-pay our CHASE car loans. Of course, Chase says there is nothing they can do. We pretty much just have to sit and wait.

I came to Chase located on Grand Ave in Chino, CA with a coupon of $500 bonus, $300 for new checking & $200 for savings. A banker, Brandon helped me set up both accounts. The whole time that he'd opening the account, he did NOT mention anything about direct deposit. He said that I just have to maintain the required balance and after 90 days the bonus will credit in accounts. So I waited, after 90 days I only received bonus on savings, NOT CHECKING.

I came back, he then said I need direct deposit, so I set up DD and waited 2 weeks like he said. But because he DID NOT inform me at the beginning, and I have waited 90 days on the bonus, therefore the coupon expired. They cannot manually submit it again. He said it was misunderstanding, which I DID NOT agreed because I double checked with him over and over on the qualifications. I missed that $300 due to his mistakes. His excuse was that he'd had this happen before so he's now always letting customers know. I guess he is still NOT doing ENOUGH in his job to provide the correct INFO and doing the right things for the customers. Who would trust a private client, a fancy title but not so dedicated to customer, when he CANNOT do his job right at the beginning.

I decided to open a banking account again after a year because I had such a bad experience with another bank. I thought I would give Chase a try because of all the great things I was hearing about them. I have only had my account for a month maybe less & the fraud prevention team placed a restriction on my account. They froze all of my funds & will not release them back to me. The customer service of Chase Bank employees is non-existent. From the banker to the representatives on the phone none of them are helpful in resolving any of my issues. It has been over a week since they froze my account and are telling me that they closed my account & will send a cashier's check to me by mail in 7 to 10 more business days. This is by far the worst bank & banking experience I have ever have. When considering banks please stay away from Chase.

I received a postcard (several, actually) to get $200 by opening a business account at Chase. I have a personal account there and they don't do anything, positive or negative, so I figured it was as good a spot as any to open my business account. I went into the Carmel Valley branch in CA and found it was surprisingly busy at any given time. Never anyone standing in line, but always people waiting for personal bankers. My banker helped me open my business account and when I inquired about the $200, said it wouldn't be an issue. I said for the initial deposit of new money, I would withdraw from an external account that I had linked to my personal account and then transfer those funds into my business account. A robot would see this as 'NOT' new money, but he assured me that if that happened, he would take care of it.

The robot did not see this as new money and I did not get the $200 bonus. I called and my guy said it was denied and reiterated the reason that I just told him. I told him that the $200 was new money and though it came from a Chase account, had just arrived at Chase a few hours prior, specifically for the transfer. He said he would look into it and get back to me. I guess he got bad news, because he didn't call back and he hasn't returned my calls since. I not only need this account for business, but I need a line of credit as well. $200 was a nice enough incentive, but it isn't life-changing money. Surely, it is peanuts for Chase. I closed my account and will probably be closing my personal account and 2 credit cards as well. Two stars for how easy they are when helping you close accounts! They have no interest in retaining you.

I forgot my wallet at home, and took a ride with my 16 years old to his game, after his game, we decided to go to Dick's Sporting to pick up some of his football gears and didn't think of any thing as I can transfer the fund into his card and we should have no problem, but that was wrong. Well money was transferred and our purchase was around $580.00, card kept declining, unreal, then we just bought $200 purchase and that went through. Mean time I called the customer service why this card is keep declining. I kid you not, the time me and my son were on the phone for 25 min.

They started asking him some security questions, he entered his CC, expiration and three digit pin, what ever it was when he was inputting, he made an error and pressed #. they fully blocked that card now. We tried to ask them, please help, to get this transaction done! They told us to email his credit card, his driver license and another state ID or social security card or utility bill, we are in check out line. This kid is only 16 and he carry his DL with him only. (Since when the Chase started asking for 2 set of ID's and why our state DL is not valid for identity especially when we are stuck in the situation like this.)

So they were not going to let us go without sending them not two but three things, or they suggested we should go to the nearest branch (Really on Sunday, I felt we were dealing with out of country customer service) and show the identity. We end up leaving the purchase and drove 15 miles to come home and had to drove back to pick up the rest of the stuff) after spending almost 25 min telling them it is us, and please let it go through our purchase. They have stupid, nonsense, unconsidered people working on the weekend for them, don't even know if they understood the situation. Store was going to close at 6 and my son needed the things for his football practice.

They need common sense people working in the customer service especially when the branches in USA are closed on Sunday. Also in their right mind, if we were doing anything wrong, would we even call customer service. Customer service should solve the problems, but they went extra mile to block my son's card fully, this was the only card we had with us and we were coming from a game, now we cannot even purchase food with that card. 30 years with CHASE BANK, good bye, I will take my business somewhere else.

It was a horrible design on the Chase's new website. I am thinking about moving out from Chase because of the website if no one does anything. The old website was 1000 time better than the current one.

I have an outside mailbox, and sometimes my bills are late. I asked Chase to reverse the late fee, and the concurrent interest charge and readjust the bill, which they did. I am at Chase everyday. I have savings and investments, and pay my bill immediately, unless there is a complication. I live across from the bank, and run in traffic to pay the bill. They also have started the practice of charging you fees after the bill is paid. After paying a bill I considered paid in full, I am charged 0.73 cents. I would pay a balance of $73.00, but not 0.73 cents. I asked to have the account closed. I was told I would not get "rewards". Spending thousands of dollars to get a few "rewards". Very predatory. I am in the Chase panel, and this is unconscionable.

As a business owner that deposits large amounts of cash, I was upset to find out that Chase charges its clients for making cash deposits. As a result I spend a considerable amount of time depositing cash thru the ATM's located inside and outside the branches. Today one of the ATM's malfunctioned. There is no way to know how much the machine accepted and no cash was returned. After speaking with 4 different "bankers" it was clear no one cared. But they gave me a 1 800 number to call. Tomorrow I find a new bank.

Two months ago, about $400 was stolen from my checking account from an ATM. I reported the fraud minutes later. I found out later that day that two men were arrested for card copying/withdrawing money in the same bank, same town where my money was taken. I submitted the news story and requested Chase contact the bank where the fraud occurred. They said there was a 'note' to do so.

I found out later Chase never contacted the bank, and the employee on the phone said there was a note, but since it wasn't part of their normal investigation process, they didn't actually follow up with it. They denied my claim twice without even contacting the bank where the fraud occurred, pulling footage, nothing. I'm now in touch with the police who were involved in that arrest and filed a complaint against Chase with the attorney general for their incompetence. I would recommend never banking with Chase. I am keeping my account open while I seek a resolution but am no longer keeping money in there.

I'm so called banned for life with absolutely no reason. This bank is a joke. Someone had been trying to steal money from me. You'd think the bank would protect you and help you fix what's going. Wonder if someone is using my name and how would I found out?

Waited in line last Friday to make one $10,000 deposit into my business account. Unfortunately I dealt with a very uninterested, and apathetic teller named "Sarah". Although she could not seem to find my account, she had absolutely no interest in helping me. But to be fair, she excelled at sighing, rolling her eyes, and communicating her irritation with a condescending attitude. Bored by her behavior, I asked her to give me my check back and went to another teller who was quick, friendly and efficient. I then asked to speak with the branch manager. Was informed that Jeff ** out until Monday.

Never heard anything from Mr. ** on Monday or Tuesday, so I called him on Wednesday. He then returned my call on Thursday, never asked about the lack of service the previous week, and then informed me that Sarah is one of their best tellers. It is amazing to me that the branch manager was only interested in defending his sub-standard employees! So since Chase Bank is not interested in providing good client service, and there are 4 banks within a 2 block radius of my office, I am going to move my money into the one who value my business. Bye Chase Bank, and thanks for nothing!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.
  • Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.
  • Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.
  • Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.
  • Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.
  • Best for Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions