Chase Bank

2,314people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Chase Bank:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I had a business account with them and they just closed for no reason. After almost a month they sent me a cashier's check with the money I had at the account when they closed. I took it to the branch to try and cashed and they told me they cannot cash it because I don't have an account there (how ironic they closed). This place is a fraud. They stole my money.

On April 4, 2016 my vehicle was a total loss at No fault of mine. Unfortunately the individual died that hit my car. I had Gap JP Morgan, Allstate insurance and Loan with Chase. The individual died and had No Insurance, so my uninsured motorists said they pay the value of the car and Gap JP Morgan Pay between 643.00 or 663.00. The balances on the vehicle was over $4,000.00. JP Morgan Gap did not pay the total loss of the vehicle and Chase wants me to pay for a Car, I don't have.

My understanding if you purchase Gap it pays off the balance your insurance didn't pay. I am still fighting trying to resolve this issue with this car. Chase stated they will charge the remaining balance off by the end of this month $1,951.59.00 that will affect my score. Chase took all refunds from tire hazardous and road hazardous warranty and use it toward balance on the vehicle, the vehicle is total loss. There's NO CAR. I have always pay my car note on time or before due date.

When I opened my Chase checking account, I indicated I did not wish them to pay for charges when funds were not available. Chase took it upon themselves to honor drafts on the account when my account did not have the funds available. Social Security do not directly deposit my check into my account one month, so I did not have funds to cover my automatic drafts. I had made arrangement to make this payment with other payment option. They paid anyway plus added overdraft fees for each, which there were overpayment made. I call customer service and was told they will honor drafts at their discretion. I was pissed, so I sent them an email stating I plan to close my account and stop my direct deposits, which I did.

When the issue was resolved with Social Security and they took over $200 for fees, I sent then an online email that I was going to take them to court and they immediately put the money back into my account. After changing all direct deposits, Social Security advised me to keep the account open to assure my check would go to my new bank account, so I left a small cent amount only to keep it open. The following month, they did it again after I specifically instructed them I was closing the account and that no direct deposits would come through.

Although Social Security direct deposit did not go to chase, a couple other drafts did not go into effect, but I had already paid them by other means, which means payment was made twice. Now Chase charged me $142 in fees and put my name on some watch list where I'm unable to open any other bank account. Chase does this in order to make money from fees. I am in the process of resolving this issue in court. I guess they're charging customer fees to make up for the lawsuit on their mortgage loans.

Chase is a very bad bank to bank with. Some people are OK but then you have some that are not okay. Chase doesn't tell you about their promotions. They don't have anything for old customers. Only new customer's. They hang up on to if they don't know information to what is being asked and they are just there to get a pay check...

Chase QuickPay is not safe. We sold our daughter's car and used QuickPay to send her the money. The site asks you to enter in the recipient's email address and phone #. We sent the money and it pended for the weekend and then debited from my account. My daughter did not receive the money or an email. We contacted Chase and their service was horrible. They said the money had been deposited into a BofA account. Problem was that my daughter has never had a BofA account. Someone had used my daughter's phone # and linked it to their BofA account. This requires a pin to be sent to them at that phone # so it was obvious fraud. We think it may have occurred when her phone had been stolen even though she cancelled it right away.

The problem is that Chase's QuickPay does not tell you that the recipient needs to fill out a profile on their end which allows thieves to link phone #s to fraudulent accounts. Chase has said BofA will not return the money so we are out of luck and cannot get the money back. Chase also inadvertently gave us the full BofA account #. Chase will not cover it because they say we sent it so it's not fraud. We have filed a police report and are still trying to fight it. Chase's online robots will not help nor will BofA. Phones are recycled people! Chase QuickPay is not a secure way to send money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Hello. My name es Erika. I have an account with Chase. 105.000 thousand Dollar. Since 2 years. I live in Spain. Last week a had a great opportunity to buy a house but I need my USA money. I make money transfer online and was perfect. Next day was cancelled. I have to call several time to special CHASE - CHEAT department... and they make me questions like the date when I open my bank account. It was so long time ago. Of course I cannot remember! They refuse to help me. They were very unfriendly, and not even have intention to help me. They just don't care. Imagine you trust a bank your money and when you need it... nobody is there.

I lost a great opportunity. After I spoke with my banker and told me that I have to flight to USA. I can't believe nowadays YOU MAKE ME FLIGHT TO USA TO GET MY MONEY??? Please??? I have not time. I have small child going to school. I have work. Why??? Please help me!!! If you have doubts about my identity it a lot more ways to do it. I don't understand. I lost 10K Euro because I reserved the house for period time and if I don't pay in this time I lost it. PS: And they BLOCK EVEN THE ACCESS TO MY ONLINE BANKING.

I went into a Chase bank branch in Thornton CO last week Monday to get a checking and savings account for my small business. I made small deposits for three days & one transfer, and then Thursday morning (last week) I had no account. I called and they said they decided to "terminate their relationship with me" and my accounts were closed. No other information was given. The representative told me I would be getting a check mailed to me for my money that I deposited into the accounts. I was fuming mad! I went into the same branch that I opened the accounts at and Sat with a representative who was rude and told me they don't have to tell me anything as to why my account was closed. I told him I was furious with them for this and why are people just given accounts with a smile and a few counter checks to get you started - with no mention of any final approval process form the "Back Office of Chase"?

I asked point blank if this is common practice to just give someone accounts one day and then take them away 2 days later because I don't fit a certain profile? It is all BS! The damn bank's got bailed out in the billions of dollars back in 2009! Why on earth do (they) think they can get away with screwing people and their money after that? This is not just Chase either I am sure, but their customer service and concern for their customers is just not there at all. It is all about money for them! There needs to be more federal banking regulations in the US as to what a bank can and absolutely cannot do with someone's money! I have not yet received my check for my monies that I deposited into, and if I do not get a check within the next 5 days I will be calling and yelling and maybe with an attorney.

I did ask the branch representative why they did not contact me to physically come to the branch and get my money in cash - that should be part of the process - if they are going to do this people! I am now looking to file a class action suit, because of them denying me my accounts after it was all accepted. They based this decision on something that happened in 2009 - I had an old account and still owed money on it - but that was legally discharged in a bankruptcy in 2010! We need more Federal Banking Regulations that actually protect the account holder not the damn bank! NSF & overdraft fees have gotten ridiculous in this country and no one can afford to have anything paid for them and live with these fees! Chase is awful, and I would never give them my business again!

I live overseas and rely on QuickPay for a critical HOA payment... In following up to a general email to all customers about the new requirements for QuickPay customers, I was reassured weeks ago over the phone that my QuickPay service was not going to be cancelled because I have a Credit Card account. Today I received an email that my QuickPay payment has been cancelled, and I discover that my QuickPay link on my account has disappeared. I am now told through customer service that QuickPay requires a checking account.

So let me see... I responded to Chase's previous email by phoning customer service; their customer service gave me incorrect information, and now I am left holding the bag. Shame on Chase who obviously mishandled this decision and trained their people poorly. They have just lost a customer as it would be "shame on me" for continuing to bank with them after this egregious example of mismanagement and thumbing in the face of customers. Bad Form, Chase!!!

I have been to at least 4 different chase banks over the past 2 years requesting a simple change in my trust acct. I presented a letter showing a joint trustee has retired almost 5 years ago. I have made this request over 12 times and nothing has been done. This has caused me problems since I am the sole signature on the acct and it still appears as if it is two of us. Today I got a call that a TEAM is working on this simple problem. It is hard to believe a team needs to work on this simple problem that CHASE has created. I asked the person his name and all he would say is Craig and REFUSED to give his last name. I suggest anyone use any bank other than CHASE. I will never bank with them with any other account.

I just had to go to my local Chase bank to get them to find a nearly $4,000 deposit that went missing. They found that it was deposited into someone else's account. I found out exactly how that happened and it absolutely infuriated me because their way of doing things is so idiotic. I'll explain...

I stopped making deposits into Chase ATMs because I had two separate deposits that were "chewed up" by their machines and caused me far more headaches than they should have. So I started going inside to make my deposits. I don't have my account number memorized so I would always prepare my deposit, enter my card, and assumed that (as I think most people would) the entire transaction would be connected to the account attached to my card. Wrong! This is how those deposits actually work.

You enter your card and type in your pin and your account pops up on their computer screen. The teller writes down your account number and scans that deposit slip. The computer scans the account number that was written by the teller and pops up a different screen showing the account that will receive the deposit. So, if the computer doesn't read the teller's handwriting correctly AND the teller doesn't think to look to make sure the two accounts match, guess what? Your whole deposit is going into someone else's account. How could a huge bank like Chase, in this day and age when computer's should be removing the chance of human error, use a system that is so obviously reckless and idiotic? I wish I could sue them because I now have no idea if maybe this has happened to me before and I have no way of knowing...

Banked with Chase for 5 years. As a college student worked for the company as a teller part-time. Having an auto-loan, checking and credit account with the bank. That being said, was charged 9 x 34.00 fees within the span of the month totaling over 300.00 (In Fees). Spoke on the phone with a banker then a specialist for near an hour only to be told it's against "Chase Policy" to remove more than 1 fee a year. Keep in mind my background and the fact that I was out of town taking care of my elderly grandparents for several weeks without access to my accounts. Chase didn't care. Chase is waste.

My uncle passed away and I assumed responsibility for the administration of his estate. He had two accounts at JP Morgan Chase, one of which did not have beneficiaries listed. His Will, however, specifically identified who was to receive these funds once the Will was filed. It also specifically identified a person who was not to receive any funds from this account. While awaiting instructions from the Trust attorney on where to file the Will, I went to the local Chase Bank to present documents clarifying my role as executor as well as the content of the Will. They refused to accept the Will, saying it was not necessary. It is unclear if any notes were appended to his now inactive account. However, shortly thereafter, the person who was specifically denied access to funds in the Will was able to go to a Chase branch in her town and withdraw the all of the funds.

When I became aware of this, I filed a Statement of Fact with the Customer Claims Department at JP Morgan Chase. The Chase local branch faxed this document as directed by the Customer Claims Department. I was told the investigation could take up to 30 days. When I followed up a week later, I was told that the Claims Department had never received the fax. Later I learned it "could" have received the fax but couldn't find. I re-approached the local Chase branch manager requesting that he resend the fax and confirm receipt to me. I have called three times since and received NO RESPONSE from the branch manager. At this time, I still do not have a status. Until the investigation is completed, I cannot take action to recover funds. My advice to those with Chase Bank accounts is to CLOSE them, and move your money to a trustworthy bank. I will certainly NEVER consider Chase for any business transaction in the future.

CHASE Bank is horrible! They closed my checking and savings account with NO NOTICE on a Friday! There was no fraud, no large cash transactions, no excessive number of transactions; nothing unusual. Went to use my debit card and it was declined. When I called customer service I was told, "We closed your accounts and we are not telling you why." AND I have to call them Monday to ask them to call my branch and release MY money to me. Now my entire family and everyone I know is going to close their accounts. I get it that banks can fire customers for no reason, however, not informing customers in advance is completely unprofessional and unethical. I was a loyal customer for over 15 years with NO bounced checks, no negative balances - NOTHING!!!

Chase quick pay sucks, it takes them a week to transfer money from one account to another. When I call customer service about it they transfer to do three different agents and each one replies a different answer!! I used to like chase because of the quick transfer between accounts, but not any more, leaving them!

I'm disgusted and don't recommend Chase anymore to people! Someone hacked in my online account and was making monthly payments to Capital One for six months. I caught it in July because I saw and double-checked my CO and the charges didn't add up so I called and Chase and they told me this person has been since January and then I'm like WTF!! So then they tell me I can only get 3 months credited back, I'm like the hell I am! I'm getting all of it back somehow. So it's been a month and still fighting to get the other half back!

I've talked to a Chase executive and he won't credit back the other 3 months because I didn't report it and I'm like "I didn't know until you told me so give it back, I work hard for my money and don't need my money go to someone else's bills!" I called Capital One and asked if they could credit it back to me and the only way if possible is to get copy of statements and a notarized letter from them saying these are unauthorized charges and not approved. They would not give a notarized letter for God forbid them!

It's ridiculous how they hold notarized letters, like wtf what is the problem and saying these charges are unauthorized because you agreed they are and weren't going to my account credited me back 3 months so far... but you won't saying that in a letter??? Suspicious. I will never have Chase Bank again! I will closing my account and my family is going to be closing their accounts as well. That is around 7 lost members they're losing because they can't credit the money back!!!

For over 7 years I have been giving another member of my household my bill, my credit card, payment coupon and the cash to pay my bill monthly since their job is located next to Chase Bank and mine is 1 hour 45 minutes away. I am aware I can make the payment other ways but this is my preferred method. As of March 2016, even though the individual has my payment coupon, the payment and my credit card with a note stating I have given them permission to "pay my bill" (as if there's anyone out there who would make my payment for me), Chase refuses to accept my payment in this manner. Once I pay off my two Chase accounts, I will go with a credit card whose bank allows me to do this, which is many. This is my preferred way and if Chase refuses to accept payment my preferred way, I will switch to another bank.

On 8-9-16, I made a purchase at Dunkin Doughnuts. That evening, the $ was deducted from my account. I checked my account this morning, and they hit me with a $34.00 fee! When they deducted the money, my account was on the positive. They held the transaction until Wednesday, then rededucted it, thus putting me in the negative and causing an od fee. They shuffle paperwork to generate fees.

Ok, this is my first review in here, but its my opinion of the Chase customer service experience. Every time you explain your issue through secured messages for one representative, you get about 2 representatives writing you back. When you explain further your situation, a different representative will write you back, but you have to explain to them the whole situation because the new representative don't know whats going on.

So when you finally explained your situation all over again, and send your message, a new representative will send you a message and not understand the situation. And this ** goes on like I'm in a freaking purgatory that never ends. You don't get help from the online customer service representatives, because they don't know how to help their customers when they don't know jack ** of what's going on BECAUSE THEY DON'T FREAKING CARE. Sincerely, a pissed off Chase customer.

The new Chase Online is (very bad)!!! The new online is hard to read and navigate! I like the old Chase Online. The old Chase Online is much clearer to read! The old Chase Online font were clearer to read! Message to Chase Online. Please give the customers the OPTION to either use the NEW or (OLD) Chase Online.

We were Chase Bank customers for 2 years and they closed our accounts without notice and froze all transactions. My husband called and they informed him that the funds will be mailed after 15 days for over $4000 and in the meantime our bills and mortgage were due. They would not tell us why we were closed and we are suspecting that due to several cash deposits from garage sales were the culprit. We had never overdrawn and had to pay any fees to them and had opened the account as seniors and veterans. We had also paid off an auto loan with them with no problems.

Needing our money for our bills and I went to the nearest branch and demanded a cashier's check which they did give me, but in the meantime my husband's paycheck was automatically deposited and they accepted that, but refused all bills pays. We had to go the to branch again and after 1 1/2 hours received another cashier's check to open another bank account somewhere else. Luckily we are tech savvy seniors and we were able to switch all of our online banking within a week. Lesson learned. Spend all your cash and have several checking accounts. Chase does not care about their customers and what happens in the aftermath and having cash in today's times is a crime.

When WaMu was taken over by this filthy bank I overpaid by hundreds of dollars on my properties while in the bank and the funds never showed the overages on those accounts. I called the bank and asked where the extra money went and they told me they went to "fees". My mortgages were not late and I had 5 of them at the time that had been WaMu, I had paid $200 to $300 over on each of my mortgages!! Then my credit card that was fixed for life at 2% when it went to Chase they sent me a statement at 18% I called them and they told me I had been sent a letter offering me to "opt out" of the increase but I never responded so I was stuck with the higher rate. I got furious at them and told them they could not do that so they put me on a recording telling me that they are nice to me but I am not nice to them so I am never allowed to ever call them again.

I checked on my computer and if I paid the minimum amount due on the loan of $25k or thereabouts I would be owing almost a million dollars over the life of the loan!! I was so livid. So for the first time in my life I didn't pay that payment due so they jumped it to 28% the next month. I never paid that bill again. They sent someone to threaten me with a lawsuit but they dropped that. I subsequently had all of my properties taken from them, I am in my last one and they tripled my mortgage and refused to fix and and refused to tell me why they had inflated it so much. I had a tax bill I had delayed on for maybe 1900 but that could be cleared easily, no they changed all my payments and tripled the mortgage and any calls to this wicked outfit was ignored. Why? They want my house and they want me to lose it... they stole so far millions in property from me and will not stop. They are filth on steroids people. They belong in jail...

Let me make this short. Couple weeks ago, a company tried to charge my card and Chase declined and notified me. It was fraud and was issued a new card. Now after receipt of this new card, three sites declined my card. I called Chase and no hold was on my card. From time to time, I make transfers with PayPal to and from my Chase account and was not able to. A casino site declined me as well.

Then was declined at Pizza Hut when I used my card at Walmart twice just yesterday. The money is available but Chase is not letting me use it. Now Pizza Hut was declined and I was emailed and texted a notification asking me to verify the declined purchase and I verified that it was me. Still nothing. Can't use card. I called Chase and I was to enter my card #, exp. date, security code and zip. The system said it was invalid. HOW??? I just used this card several times in the last week. Chase is a piece of crap, after my next direct deposit, I'm out of there. Goodbye Chase, thanks for all the inconveniences.

I went to Chase Bank to make a $300 cash deposit into my father's account and was told I couldn't do that. I was told that only the bank account holder can deposit cash (teller and manager said the same thing). I explained to them that my father was disabled and had dementia and could not perform that task. I was told to go to the post office and get a money order for $1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! What kind of bank doesn't take cash deposits? Needless to say I'm very glad my husband and I transferred our accounts elsewhere. I wish I could do the same for my father.

Abysmal. We had money being taken from our account which was not authorized. We asked Chase what to do and we did what they asked and we have documentation to prove it. However, several days later, more money was withdrawn. Since we had done what was asked of us, Chase should have made good on that. We are out $50 and despite proving they were wrong, they got pigheaded and refused to do anything. We had an issue with our Bank of America account with about the same amount of money. I went to the local branch and left 20 minutes later with the money back in our account. Why can't Chase demonstrate a similar level of service? We have accounts with both Chase and BoA and have decided we don't need both. Guess which one is about to lose a customer?

It seems like Chase is in business of cheating small business owners out of money. Their balance consolidation system is rigged to hit accounts with excessive and unfair overdraft fees, and it seems like as many as possible, and even the ones that were previously already debit card authorized. Lousy practices, where they back date debits but post date credits. And when you call them they are the most incompetent phone reps. I don't know why paid them business account fees just to get poor service and let them basically steal from you. Take my advice, don't use those cheaters for your business banking.

I have been with this bank for 30 years, have four accounts and they still don't know me. I am at the bank at least once a day. Think it's time for a more personal experience. I would think by now the experience would be different.

If Chase close your account why does it take two weeks to gave you the remained of your money? Chase don't know anything when you call them. Bull...

I have a nonprofit charity account with Chase. I had had it for about two years when I received a letter stating they were closing the account but with no explanation. I called but was given no reason for their decision. I asked to speak to the person who had signed the letter but of course I was told she was unable to speak to me. I asked to speak to the supervisor who said it was in the contract and that they could close the account without explanation. The account had $6,000+ in it and has never been in the red.

I said that perhaps I should talk to somebody in the branch. I was told I would get the same answer. I called the branch anyway and Tammy, bless her heart, said she had been trying to get ahold of me. Something about an address and phone number change and they being unable to get ahold of me had kicked out the letter. She then called me back a week later after duking it out with corporate and had resolved the problem and been able to keep the account. THANK YOU TAMMY OF GIG HARBOR!

I can't believe all of the similar stories I'm reading here from people who had the same exact thing happen to them. All with Chase. Chase closed their accounts out of the clear blue sky, with no explanation, and they are having problems receiving their funds back from the bank now. This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I'm still just heated about it.

I had a checking and savings account with them for over 5 years. I think I overdrafted maybe 3-4 times in that 5 year period, but it was never more than $50 or so and I always paid it back along with fees. Nothing crazy or surreptitious went on as far as I knew. I consider myself overall responsible with money. Then one day I came to work and my boss asked me why my direct deposit was rejected, I said, "whaaaat?" Went to log into my Chase banking online, like I always do, and it was like I never even existed in their system, everything just gone and a blank screen staring back at me.

After spending an hour on the phone waiting for customer service, I was finally connected to someone in India whose English was very poor. She had to put me on hold and ultimately I was escalated through 3 levels of management, every one I struggled with a language barrier, and they all told me the same thing. That "an executive decision was made to terminate the relationship with the customer, details unspecified." I asked how can they just do that? Without contacting me? They couldn't have called, emailed, mailed me something, anything?

I had money in there and I have bills waiting to be paid, plus now a rejected direct deposit in limbo somewhere. They told me with a very annoyed tone, "Ma'am as I told you before and as the person before me told you and anyone you speak to will tell you, it is not a Chase policy to notify the customer when an executive decision is made to terminate the relationship. Your funds will be sent to you in 5-7 days via cashiers check. Thanks have a good day."

I asked if going into a branch to talk to someone would help, they said, "No they would say the same thing." Going on 2 weeks and still haven't gotten the money that was in my account. Funny thing though is they kept my credit card account active. Apparently they are happy with my credit card account usage still. And they never sent anything negative to ChexSystems because I was able to go to the next major bank next door and open a new checking account immediately.

I just can't believe that someone I trust with my money is able to have cart blanche like this. Do mistakes never happen? Has no Chase employee ever mistakenly "terminated a relationship" with a customer, thus not requiring any oversight or explanation for said termination? This really scares me from using banks at all but I really have no choice, my salaried job only does direct deposit.

At first my wife had a account where we paid all of our bills out of at Chase actually Washington Mutual at the time and even when they change names I had no problem depositing cash into the account to pay our bills. Then they required an ID to deposit cash into her account. Then they forbid you to make any cash deposit into the account if it is not yours. Then they require you to have identification to deposit money into your own account. Now they are closing all the drive-thrus to make it more inconvenient for the working-class people like myself that is very Busy and don't have time to go inside and wait in line like a lemming. I am tired of this bank and I will be closing all of my accounts with them. Customer service my **. Chase bank has become a horrible bank. They bought out Washington Mutual and turned it into crap. Hello Chase Bank. Make it more convenient for people not inconvenient for people to bank with you. Wake up!!!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.
  • Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.
  • Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.
  • Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.
  • Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.
  • Best for Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions