Chase Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have banked with Chase since 2004. In 2014 my daughter opened a high school checking account and in 2016 she converted that to a college checking - due to issues with claims, which has nothing to do with me or my accounts, Chase decided to close my daughter's checking but at the same time also decided to close the savings & my checking account as well because my name was attached to all accounts.

I escalated this issue to several departments and spoke with several different reps some consisting of a senior rep named Chi Chi, a team lead named Tony ** from the restriction dept & finally someone in the loss prevention dept named Treba - they all recite the same rehearsed script..."the bank can make a decision to close an account for any reason & there is no additional information they have to provide." WOW that's it after 13 years of business. After reading the other reviews this is not surprising & I now say good riddance because I don't want to continue doing business with a company that doesn't value loyal customers anyway!!!

I want people to be on alert with Chase Bank and the reason I say that is as follow: if you write a check and don't have enough money in the account they will post the checks at 11:59pm but you will only be advised by your alert settings after 7:00am. Why they do that because they want to take $34.00 overdraft fee. Because they know you can't go in 60 seconds to the branch to deposit money to cover the overdrawn account. That's why they pick 11:59pm to post all the checks. It's like they do it on purpose to take your money because they know you can't do anything about it. It's wrong and it's not a practice that they should be doing to their customers if they value them in any way. Shame on this big financial institution. This is how they treat their customers no good.

Account cancellation with no explanation. So I had a Chase account in 2014, that I had closed. Then recently I decided to open a new account with them (worst thing I've ever done). Anyways I spoke with a Chase rep and they informed me that I would be able to open an account with them and all I had to do was go to a branch with 25 dollars and they will open the account. And so that's what I did but instead of $25 dollars I deposited $100. So 2 days later I tried to check my balance on my online account and I was told that my access was suspended!

So I called Chase to find out what was going on with my account and those idiots couldn't even tell me why they are closing the account, and that it was just a decision that was made. Then to make matters worst I tried to withdraw the amount that I had left on my account and was told I can't, and that it has to be mailed to me via cashier's check 10 business day after that day. So I waited and it been way over 10 business day and still no check! I call Chase and was told the account was closed on February 1st and I have to wait another 10 business days to receive the check.

I would never in a million years recommend Chase to anyone, just don't waste your time with this guys. They are full of b.s and they don't even have any customer service skills! Oh I almost forgot when I called in, it was transferred to the fraud department and thought OK may I'll get some answers. Nope I was told what I already knew from the fraud department, that my account was reviewed and it was decided to be closed! Still no explanation. If I could give no stars at all I would. Chase does not deserve no star. They will close your account without giving you any explanations and will refuse to give you your money back in cash even though that was the way it was deposited into the account. They should just close down for good!

Not Happy with Chase. Chase bank has been deteriorating for a few years. My latest experience is being charged $8.00 for a cashier's check. I have never paid for a cashier's check when I had an account at the bank. Also, Chase had a very good online bill paying application. They totally changed it around with no explanation to one that is so user unfriendly that for the first week or so, I couldn't figure it out. They have me pretty hooked with the bill paying, but about one more negative surprise from them and I will be gone. Anyone thinking of switching to Chase, beware.

Most ridiculous customer service experiences I've ever had. They have ZERO record of my credit card - which I closed FOUR months ago (only to open another Chase account with rewards). How can it appear on my credit report, I can show two years of payment history and an institution of that size cannot find me? I am horrified.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Asking Chase to close IRA and they want to charge closing fee. They can't provide any proof of such fee. I have my paperwork from the time I opened the account and no mention of closing fee. They can't point it out either.

I have had the same problem many people here had. You rely on the information reflected on the Chase website or app and they clear a bunch of stuff in the middle of the night so they can charge overdraft fees. I have been with the same bank over 20 years (through 2 buyouts before becoming Chase) and every year the benefits are less and the fees are more. Disney rewards are not worth dealing with Chase. There are better options.

Chase is the worst!!! My account was compromised and all my funds were wiped out. Someone called the bank and changed my email and password; according to the bank. So, Chase advised me to close the old account and open a new one. They said they would investigate the fraud and credit back my funds. I filed my claim on Monday, January 23rd. I still have not received a cent of my money and it's January 31st. The bank credit my account (old and closed account); not once, twice but three times. NO apologies. No one is willing to help. I have bills and day to day living expenses that I can't meet because the bank's employees are a JOKE!!! It's like speaking to automatic teller; NO ONE CAN FIX the problem. They repeat the same thing over and over. This is unacceptable. Once I get my funds back I will be baking with a credit union.

I deposited a check on Sat night, they told me will be complete by Monday, which I believed. Now is Tuesday morning, I called again. They tell me it will be process by Tuesday night before 7 P.M. Are you ** kidding me? I CAN NOT PAY MY LICENSE PLATE AND MY PERSONAL INSURANCE ON TIME. CHASE ** SUCK. I am going to quit everything with chase. ** garbage Chase.

December 30, 2016 at 7;30 AM, someone sent continuous calls to my cell and home phones while sending constant texts to my phone and email so I was distract and could not review alerts. The criminals transferred $3K from savings to checking and withdrew all the funds from ATMs in New York. I live in Wisconsin. When I went on online to change cell phone numbers, I noticed the fraud at 9AM. I went immediately to the Wisconsin Chase Private Client banker to close the compromised accounts, surrender my debit card and open new accounts.

Chase gave me a temporary credit within 24 hours but took it back on Jan 24th and refused my claim! They said they validated the transactions and will not call me back. My debit card has never left my possession and I was not in New York where the fraud occurred. Since I notified the bank immediately I am not liable. My Financial Adviser and Private Banker have been working on a solution but I am amazed at the response from the Fraud Department. I will provide an update based on their response.

I had a very good impression about this company but after I experienced of trying to create a card from here. The worst experience ever. The customer service was horrible. Every time I try calling in they had attitude and seem like no one wanted to help. However, finally got to speak to the supervisor who was actually good that tried to help (if it wasn't for her I would not even wanted to give 1 star). Also, she was helpful to talk to different department. However, different department especially credit department was so rude. Therefore imagine if you had a card here and wanted support no one will be willing to help. SUPPORT IS HORRIBLE!!! Don't ever EVER be a client here!

Repeated calls from an overseas call center identifying itself as JP Morgan Chase regularly calls my home phone to report that I have an unpaid debt. Initially made attempts to reach the JP Morgan Chase Fraud Unit but no response despite bank online presence indicating it provides oversight to victims of identity fraud. These callers are particularly sophisticated in their fake pitch. What makes these calls an upsetting experience - no way to contact Chase to investigate if they are aware of '847-426-9203' as a fake phone call center. I have never had Chase account and never would based on inability to reach Chase fraud.

After being charged high interest rates not only purchases but balance transfer amounts, I paid my bill in full to avoid any further interest charges on the due date and Chase Bank charged me another month's interest. Citing that those interest charges were from December even though I was already charged December interest and the entire balance was paid in full which included December interest. I asked them to remove the interest charges and close my account. They wouldn't do it so now I have to pay an additional $77.63 to these scumbags and believe me, if I can get actually get them to close my zero balance accounts (which I'm sure they will attempt to leave them open), I will never do business with Chase Bank again.

I am getting pretty fed up with Chase bank and Chase bank app. I had gone to grocery store early evening Jan 20th. I got an alert after I purchased groceries because I have it set up to notify me when account is lower than 50.00. The alert said 44.06 in account. I went home for the night only to wake up to another notification alert at 8 am "Your account was just overdrawn 132.00 now" -154.00 overdraft? Then Monday I put 100 in my account. Spent five dollars at the gas station. The debit card ran through fine. But yet an hour later another notification: "Your account has been just been overdrawn..." And just now as I'm sitting watching tv another alert! "Your account has just been overdrawn" and now it's saying 164.00.

I am now calling to report because I thought maybe there is just a glitch with the app right now since I pay very close attention to my budget and the 44.00 on Friday was accurate. Not to mention the check deposit screen shot never has worked for me and it constantly logs me out when I have set it not to. I'm pretty disappointing. Chase needs to answer to this issue and fix it. But they said last time I was there when Comcast accidentally double charged me last week that even if they canceled the second charge, apologized and spoke with the banker to confirm the refund... Chase said if for some reason the deduction from Comcast still goes through that I would be hit with fees and my responsibility to handle it? Very angry about this. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Not only do I always seem to have an issue with processing my card, after them sending me a new one, I tried going online to pay my bill but seemed to be locked out of my account. Couldn't open the account because I didn't have the new card they sent me. Finally got the card and opened my account only to be presented with a late fee. Being that I was a few hours late for my payment and told them the ONLY reason I could not pay was due to being locked out my account that you could clearly see. I did not have a phone available so could not call regarding the situation. Been a member for 2014, I pay my bill early and the one time I can't pay due to THEIR system error they would not refund the late fee. Real great customer service, definitely will be closing this account.

Chase Bank/Credit Card services does not live up to its advertised incentives. I requested and was granted a Marriott rewards credit card which said if I made $3000.00 in purchases I would be awarded 80,000. Well after I did so they said I did not sign up for that card. It is the same card with the application to get those same points, has my rewards number attached, etc. This is not new for Chase. They scammed me once before for a couple airline ticket incentives as well but I did not make a complaint. I want everyone to know they are a fraudulent scheming bank of crooks!

I have never had to take 3 days off from work to deal with anyone they had. She absolutely has no business speaking with customers. She is the worst person and supplied zero help only a condescending attitude. I have been lied to by your supervisors about sending out the check to repair my home. The hurricane hit 3 plus months ago. I have had to deal with incompetent people in your awful insurance claims Dept. The bad part is I don't have insurance with you or ever would. I still don't have a check after calling day after day and sending doc after doc to that worthless Terry lady. My file says that all doc have been received but Terry says I need more. She wanted to argue with me as to what a contract is, she said "It's a quote." He is far too ignorant to understand what a contract actually is and your company reps and supervisors are a joke. I had to give one star. If I could give less I would.

On 1/07/2017 went to a Chase ATM TO get money to pay a bill. I put my card in and requested $280.00. I'm not a Chase customer so it charged a $3 fee which I already stay away from Chase for that reason. The ATM told me to remove my card so the cash could be dispensed. For some reason the card wouldn't come out; mind you my bank card was just issued so that was not the problem. Then it gave me a piece of paper that said, “WE'RE SORRY BUT WE ARE UNABLE TO DISPENSE CASH.” FIRST thing I thought, dang I gotta go find another machine. Then I thought, I wonder if it debited my acct. There was another ATM There so I checked to see. Sure enough it took the $280 out of my acct. I immediately called the # on the paper only to be told I had to contact my bank. This was the weekend aft 3p.m.

Now mind you while sitting There on the phone with Chase 3 others came in and the same thing happened to them. One lady said they were just in there fixing that machine. I contact my bank. They tell me I need to put in a claim. I walk up to Chase to see if others had come in from that day. A rude supervisor at that branch told me I was the only repro with that problem and I just had to wait for it to go thru channels. I asked her who's going to pay the late fees on my bill. With a very condescending tone she told me that wasn't her problem. And asked me to leave the bank.

Today is the 12th and Chase still has my money. I wouldn't have went there but for some reason all the ATMs in the neighborhood were down. Eager to get the money order I broke down and went to Chase. This was an ATM in the lobby of a Chase bank. I advise anyone who is not a Chase customer not to use their ATMs. They take your money in a few seconds and it takes forever to get it back. Their attitudes are atrocious and they charge too much to use. They’re stinking machines. They are greedy.

I open a Chase account on Saturday and deposit my check. I was told it would be available today. So I logged in to check the status and it did show the check was deposited and that I had an available balance. So I took my girlfriend for breakfast and when it was time to pay my atm didn't go thru. So I checked my balance and showed I was -100 and the check was on hold. So I called Chase and transfer me to loss prevention and told me that they couldn't verify the check that Bank of America didn't want to verify it. So I had to call HR department and payroll to let them know what was going on. They said they never had a problem before. So now my account is negative and will be on hold for 7 days as I was told by Chase representative.

My husband went into the Hillsboro, Oregon Branch of Chase bank August 8, 2016 and opened a checking account with $500. He had a coupon that offered $300 if you had a direct deposit set up, so he had his social security check set-up for a direct deposit at the same time. In January 2017, we checked to see why the $300 was never deposited. I called the main customer service number, and all they could say was that the coupon was expired. No kidding! I talked to a supervisor, and she told me I had to go to the branch and see why we didn't get it. My husband went into the branch and talked to them, and of course, they knew nothing about it. We have the coupon, and the proof of deposit.

This was nothing but a fraudulent scheme to get new customers. I plan to contact the attorney general of Oregon and would advise anyone else with problems with this bank to do the same. I believe this bank is as crooked as Wells Fargo, and unless people complain to the right office, they will continue with their unscrupulous practices.

In a recent survey, 56 percent of Americans said they have less than $1,000 in their checking and savings accounts combined, Forbes reports. Nearly a quarter (24.8 percent) have less than $100 to their name. That being said, I think it absolutely horrific that the Chase customer is charged an overdraft fee when in fact a direct deposit has cleared PRIOR to a check being presented. I am aware of the whole vague CHASE "SPIEL" as to why it's okay for Chase charge overdraft fees when the money is available, as follows: West Coast Time is different than East Coast Time - re:CHASE end of day. The order in which items are presented to the Chase Customer's account is not the reflective in real time as to what CHASE Representative says is real time posting. This has happened to me so many times that I can't give an accurate number.

The most recent was as follows: 1/6/17 my husband's direct deposit(s) are seen on my computer and available for use at the ATM. My balance is $869.66. 2 Checks I wrote are posted sometime after midnight. The FUNDS were AVAILABLE. We can go back and forth with what CHASE says and what the CUSTOMER is experiencing. The FACT that CHASE does not choose to ERR on the customer's behalf in these border/lines instances is due to NOTHING but GREED on CHASE's behalf. I was charged $34.00 for each of these two checks that were presented (when there was AVAILABLE funds). $68.00 is A LOT of money to be taken away without just cause. The Chase customer who experiences this, are the customers who live paycheck to paycheck. Why is it that they feel the need to take advantage of us? SHAME ON YOU CHASE!

I closed my account with them after I am done with the last payment in Oct 2016. Now they said someone stole my identity and has been opening account in my name. He knows everything about a lot of Chase clients. He must of being one of their employees. Because one manager told me that the guy is from Elgin, IL and I got some calls from Chase rep and it showed on the caller ID Elgin, IL. I honestly cussed the guy and hang up. Anyway, every rep tells you different things. They are something else, stories makers, liars. Never deal with CHASE.

I went to pay my rent. They put it in the wrong account. I called the local branch where I made the deposit. No one answers the phone. I called over 20 times in 2 days and they never answered. Making a trip to the branch was a waste of time. Rob the manager was rude. He said I needed the receipt from the day before and he would reverse the transaction. I drive home and get it. Upon my return Rob refused to reverse the transaction. He was so rude! Running home for the receipt was a 40 minute round trip. He was so rude other employees walked away shaking their heads.

Whenever I come into the branch they charge you to see what you want. On another visit I told Rob I needed to make several transactions. He pulls me out of line and said another employee could help at a desk. She was only able to help with one transaction then informed me the other transactions needed to be done at the teller. I walk over to the line which is 8 people long now. They just don't care about their customers. I was told I wasn't a high priority customer.

Chase associates are unprofessional and heartless. My father was hospitalized and wanted to combine all his assets before his death and the type of customer service we received from the Flushing Main Street branch and from some department on the phone was the most disgusting type of service we have ever encountered. My mother and Aunt went to the Main street branch to ask for help and they would not help at all or give any advice because they said my father would have to walk out of the hospital and come to the branch himself. Ultimately I was able to help my father in the hospital to transfer his funds for him online but then Chase called and left a message wanting to speak with him.

A dying elderly man who was so weak but still had a mental state of mind and was worrying about his funds used up all his energy to speak on the phone and the representative wanted him to figure out how to open a text to give a passcode to authenticate him. And by the time he figured how to use the phone, and told the passcode, the rep said it expired because it has a 5 minute window. They asked security questions which he answered all correctly because he knew his license plate and none of the options were his license numbers, they asked the type of car he had, none of the options were his car, and they asked if he bought pet insurance but none of the answers were his because he has no pets. They even try to tell him to punch his debit card pin expiration date and three numbers on the back of the card but we had to explain to the rep, I believe the rep was not knowledgeable at all.

My father did not have a debit card. He only have an ATM card because he only has a savings account, the blue and white one it has NO NUMBERS on the back. Still the rep would not extend any heart to help when all we wanted to ask was why did you guys call. All we want to do is close out his savings and transfer all the money to Capital One. The phone call was for an hour and the attitude and heartlessness of the representative and the supervisor was completely unacceptable. After talking and trying to help my father on the phone ultimately they said that if I called again that they were UNABLE to help at all and that the only resolution is that my father a dying man MUST LEAVE THE HOSPITAL and walk into the MAIN STREET BRANCH to speak to the person who opened his account to get help. That is not the way customer service and banking works.

We all really felt that everyone is pushing away responsibility and not taking ownership in trying to help the customer. It was her way of saying "Get off the phone. We are not helping you. Go to branch." But what if my dad was in another state, he would have to go to the branch to get help? What if the person who opened his account does not work there anymore, no one can help?? Even though as for my own service with Chase I had never had a problem but when I saw and heard the things the rep were saying when I was trying to help my dad, I could not believe that the training for these reps would be so unprofessional and how heartless they can be.

It seems like when they are opening account they will treat you well with smiles, but when you need help they don't care anymore. My family were all ultimately disappointed with not the PRODUCT but the TYPE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE received from the Flushing Main Street Branch and even more the two ladies that were on the phone.

I've changed my banks twice before because I usually go with local credit unions and needed a more common bank... Worst decision ever was to go with Chase!!! I am very on top of my finances (I'm a finance specialist) and I check my account periodically throughout the day. The first time I got fees from them was 3 at the same time because their system had a glitch!! I called explained what happen, offered screen shots I had taken showing everything was processed and then their system decided to put a transaction thru a second time which over drafted my account almost $200!!!

I called, explained and after arguing for about 20 mins the rep then reversed the fees. So this time I got an overdraft fee. I explained that there was money in my other checking account with them and that my brother was shot and killed Wednesday so I've been preoccupied. I asked if they could reverse it. I had to plan his funeral and pay out of pocket for a lot so I don't have extra money for an overdraft fee. The rep said they wouldn't do it and mentioned the first time they waived fees. After arguing with her for 15 mins she called me a liar (literally!) and said she will not reverse the charges!!!

This is ridiculous!!! I'm furious with this company!!! I'm already going through a hard enough time as is the last thing I need is a rep calling me a liar especially when I'm going through a hard time and my account has never been negative with them before (aside from their system glitch which the rep agreed was their fault!) I won't trust a company that's inconsiderate of family deaths and calls their customers liars!!! And I can assure you my family (I turned them onto Chase) will not be banking with you any longer!!!

I am a Chase Bank customer for 6 years. I had to call their customer service today for the first time. While I see my correct contact address online the agent and her supervisor seems to have a different address at their end. They don’t have an alternate option to verify the customer. How can the customer guess the address that they wrongly have on their system? I have to be on call for more than 15 min and they hang up the call and I was really shocked by their response. I will never recommend them for any banking needs. I am also a business account holder with them. I am looking forward to cancel both of my personal and business accounts with Chase.

On Monday 19 2016 I decided to open a checking account with Chase so I can receive direct deposit from my company and won't be charged a fee at a cashier for every check. That Monday I opened an account with Chase with a check of 560$. I was happy cause I could then receive all my companies deposits without worry. The next day a withdraw some money and before that I have ask a Chase employee if it was ok and he said 'Yes. NO worries, but you must keep your account at 1500$' so I won't be charged 12$ fee every month and I accepted, and said to him it was ok. Then on Friday I found out that my account was restricted. I called and customer service puts me on hold for every call 15 - 30 minutes with no solutions.

On my first call they told me that my check needed to be verified in order to get my account active again. That they called my company and none answered. That I shouldn't worry and call back again. I called next day and same situation. So I decided to go to Chase bank and speak with a representative face to face. She called just the same way I did. She was on hold also. I come to a bank to do the same thing I did. She told me that in the system everything was ok. That they withdraw the total amount from my boss' account and she was confused why was my account restricted and they told her that they needed to verify the check and none answered.

I tried to give them my boss' personal number cause I explained to him the situation and they said they only call the number within the business. They wanted him to come with me to Chase with prove of the account. My boss lives in a different city and he's very busy. So if I don't do that my account will be closed. I explained everything to my boss and he said he never had trouble with any other bank. And that company number has always been his same number. They were lying. I still need a good reason. Now I hate Chase. I also had 14$ refunded back to my account from an item I bought from the web and don't know now where it went. I will never open an account with them. I think they only serve rich people with tons of money but a middle class person like me so complicated!!! Unbelievable. Not verified but they got the money from my company. Smells fishy.

The manager, Casey, at the Chase Branch on Glade Road in Colleyville is unhelpful, rude, and disrespectful to the customers who enter. She speaks to most individuals as if they are beneath her and lacking in their banking knowledge. She also seems to micromanagers those who report to her in the branch. I do not recommend this branch for business or personal banking.

I have been with Chase bank for over 15 years, and now I am very disappointed and ready to move all my business to a different bank. What is Chase bank thinking or maybe that is the problem they are not thinking. Where are all the tellers? Do they really think people prefer to do business with machines? What happen with the business/customer relationship, where is the customer service? Does Chase bank thinks that filling their branches with ATM machines is a good business? It is horrible!! You cannot explain to a machine how to wire money to another bank? I am sure there is a lot of people that still prefers to speak with a real person. This bank sucks!! I am giving one star because Zero is not an option.

I CLOSED my accounts with Chase. This is the worst bank possibly imaginable!!! So, their system is "rigged" to charge their customers overdraft fees. I was in the process of switching my bank accounts from Chase to WELLS FARGO, who is GREAT by the way. And in the process a check was charged to my Chase account which had next to no funds because all of my funds were transitioned over to my new bank account.

Anyways, so I kept monitoring the Chase account make sure nothing posted to that account and if so I would just deposit to funds to keep from any mishaps. But lo and behold the devil is a LIE!!! A check posted at "11:59 pm". So I was immediately charged a $34 fee at 12 am. One minute later. So of course I called and advised that I have by the end of business day to put the money in the account before the fee is charged!!! Per their policy!!! But then he goes well since it was posted at 11:59 we charged you the fee cause there was not enough time for you to make the deposit??? **!!! That check was intentionally posted at that time specifically to collect that $34 fee. Chase is horrible. One of the worst banks I have ever encountered...

Another issue was I had transferred from some $ from one account to another account to cover a check that may be posting. Now with the QuickPay services, you can transfer funds from one account to another Chase account free of charge and the $ is available immediately. Well I transferred the money at 10:30 that night and woke up with a fee. They claim that the check posted at 5:30 pm that day. Lies!! Because I checked my bank periodically throughout the day that check never reflected in my account. Sooo no one there could tell me why it did not show up on my account even though they could see that I logged into my account several times that day. Secondly, they claim that QuickPay has to be done pm eastern. Which is STUPID cause the funds are available immediately. I get irritated at the sound of Chase's name. I think they should be sued and shut down!!!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.
  • Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.
  • Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.
  • Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.
  • Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.
  • Best for Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions