Chase Bank
1.65/5
  • 1 star
Based on 268 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Chase Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

2816 Chase Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

They take people’s money in the atm, don’t deposit to account. Then they give you the ** “have to wait ten business day to receive your refund” for my OWN money!!! They ** with people lives taking their money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I live in California. I drove to Arizona. While in Arizona I lost my debit card. I immediately contacted Chase Bank to inform them. I was transferred to a woman who could barely speak English, and whom spoke 3,000 words a minute. A three minute call to Chase turned into a twenty minute phone call. If losing your card isn't frustrating enough, you then speak to Customer Service whom you cannot understand her at all, having to ask her to repeat herself over and over several times, then being informed that I cannot get a temporary card. Why??? Because I'm in another State, other than the one in which I live in. I was fuming.

What sense does this make, none! So, then she informed me not to worry, you will receive your new debit card in 5 to 7 business days in the mail, to your home address. I then explained to her, that wouldn't help since I'm im another State. I was informed these are Chase rules. I am fed up with Chase. Their rules are so strict that if you are a customer, you cant even do barely anything at all. Their newest crackdown on security is pathetic. Well thanks again Chase for not helping your customer at all. Your rules and regulations are out of hand. I'm switching banks as soon as I return home.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had my Chase Bank account for about 6 months and I never had any problems until two low life thieves broke into my car on my birthday while I was inside a restaurant having dinner with my family. Stole my checks I kept in there and license which I thought I had in my wallet with me. So I call and freeze my account but lo and behold they done cleaned out my accounts with my checks so I went up there and talked to them. They tried to make it seem like it was gonna be fine and they would take care of it. NO! They shut down my account. Charged me $774 in checks I never wrote! And said it’s my responsibility when clearly on their ATM tapes it was two scrawny ** men.

I’m a little ** girl and they couldn’t even get close to my signature (if you're gonna steal someone’s checks at least try a little harder to match their signature) so obviously it was NOT me. And I had to pay and they said I could still bank with them if I paid it so my dumbass paid it because I liked Chase. And what do you know? They say thanks have a nice day and I can never have a account with them ever. This bank is a joke. Turns out there wasn’t no investigation or anything trying to help me out. They’re greedy and completely dishonest. I would have been ok with not banking with them if they would have straight up said that. Not try to make me feel better. Tell me they got my back and they will investigate and Prosecute for stealing but of course MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. They just wanted their money back they I never took. Every time I pass a Chase I’m disgusted with the way they treated me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My wife who is disabled received a check which I wanted to deposit in my Chase checking account with my signature accompanied by my power of attorney. Refusal of the teller, refusal of the assistant manager, refusal of the manager. I suggested to cash the check. Refusals again. This went up the line and was refused again. The American Bar Association has two valid formulas for the way to assign and sign the check. There are two violations in my judgment: 1- Violation of the Illinois POA act. 2- Most handicapped people require agents; Chase discriminates against handicapped people.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

A little about Chase Bank!!! This bank is the worst bank that I have had. 1st of all their monthly fee is outrageously high $12. A lot of people don't have $1500 to put in a bank every month to waive a $12 fee every month... 2nd of all I have had this bank over 3 years now. I use this bank every single month for that many years. And my husband also has an account with me. We went to Chase Bank on December 30 as we had just gotten a loan and wanted to put the check in the bank to save for our vacation in May. To Hawaii. The lady said that it would be available in 5 days.

Well the 5th day came around and I checked it to see if the funds were available. They were still not available. Well I couldn't figure out why that was going on. I called Chase Bank and asked them what was going on with the funds. They said they placed a hold on it until the 11th of January. Mind you I cash the check on January 30th. She told me that they placed a hold on it because they have to make sure the check cleared. 1st of all no check takes that many days to clear. I have already gotten a loan from this place before so I knew it went right through the 1st time on the 1st I got a loan.

Then I go home check my mail and there is a letter to my husband saying that they placed a hold on the check because of his card being inactive for so long because I am the one that usually uses the bank for bill payment every month he really doesn't use it that much. Regardless of his inactivity he still has a Chase card and it is his bank account so therefore I am going down there since my funds have finally been received and closing my account because of this bank's ways.

It is ridiculous to do this to your customers. You are definitely in the wrong. If this would have been an emergency and we needed this check right away this loan we would have never gotten it and it would have been a waste of time if we had needed it really bad. You people really need to figure out what a bank is because you are going to lose your customers. I have Banner Bank also and I love my bank I never have any problems ever. None!!! If I go to another ATM they will pay me back the fee in my bank account right away. There are no monthly fees and never any hassles. The only bad side is they are closed on Saturday and Sunday. But that's just fine if you have an ATM card it should be nothing to worry about. Chase I really hope you change your ways because you are one bad bank!!! So I hope you out there are people pick a better bank because Chase is not very good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have been a loyal Chase customer for many years so when I bought a new car in 2015 I asked Chase to finance it. They did. I bought another new car two months ago and even though my credit is stellar Chase refused the loan. Now I am fighting them daily to get their loan off my credit as it appears I still have their loan and I do not!!! I have not for all this time and they refuse to act to tell the credit agencies that I paid it off. American Express lowered my credit line today because of Chase... the customer service and follow up with this bank IS THE WORST!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My daughter and her husband's house burned, and they escaped with nothing but their cars and the pajamas they were wearing at the time. Chase Bank refused them access to their bank account, which they needed to pay for shoes, food, and a place to stay — even after they were able to replace their driver's licenses. The bank took their insurance check, put a 72-hour hold on funds (leaving them penniless despite the cash in their account) and insisted that a new ATM/debit card would have to be mailed to the house that had just burned to the ground, perhaps in "as soon as two business days."

They were newly homeless, and Chase denied them access to their own money, at the time when they most desperately needed it. Had they not had friends and family, Chase Bank's policy of denying them access to their only means of paying food and housing would have endangered them; due to the fire, they were newly homeless in Colorado in January! Chase has no heart. There needs to be a law that requires the bank to give a person access to their own assets in time of emergency! By the way, I called Chase corporate. Their comment was that this followed standard Chase policy.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been a customer of Chase Bank in Texas for over 10 year. I deposited a check that I received from a person who had an account with another bank in Texas. The check was for $14,000 as I sold a car to the person. To my surprise my entire account was suspended for apparent Fraud. I called Chase as I could not even touch my funds. They closed my account down and sent me the funds in my account minus the $14,000. To date the $14,000 has neither been returned to the issuer of the check nor to me and is held in a suspended account that Chase has. This is absolute fraud and theft! I keep getting the runaround and Chase's Fraud department is in INDIA of all places. When I call them they try to tell me that the issuer of the check and myself need to go into a Chase bank so they know who wrote the check - this is ridiculous. I am in Dallas while the gentlemen is in San Antonio. This has gone on for over a month.

In the US and Texas all bank accounts that are opened are verified - it is the law. The funds cleared and were transferred, yet Chase is holding all the money and not releasing it. There needs to be some consumer protection against this sort of thing. Now someone in INDIA knows all my information - no wonder there is so much bank fraud. Chase keeps saying that they cannot verify who wrote the check, yet it was from another bank in Texas and the funds cleared etc... I have communicated with the original issuer of the check and now their bank is taking action... who knows how long this is going to take. In the meantime I do not have the $14,000 or the title to car. Beware of these large bank institutions - who am I supposed to report this to now - is there no government agency to protect consumers from this.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Hands down the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Called to ask a simple question about my credit card and what should have been a 3 minute called ended up being more than 15 minutes! Tried to get a straight answer and they were talking in circles. Even the supervisor was a nitwit. Wow, just wow.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I opened a checking account in December 2017 with Alicia ** in the Kissimmee/Poinciana branch. I unfortunately received some gift checks from a family member for Christmas which I deposited and it was returned for insufficient funds from the sender. He by accident wrote them from a wrong account so Chase then made a photocopy, sent it to me in the mail and I redeposited. Thus it came back again, this was not my fault... I called 18009359935 and spoke to a lady named Kennedy. She called the Poinciana branch and they froze my account and will not give me my money. She said they will be closing the account and then within 10 days after that I will receive a cashier's check in the mail.

I then told her I have MS and need the money for my medicine plus bills and mortgage. I do not want my credit to be affected. She had no remorse at all so here I am with no money as I am new to Florida for a better life especially for my health and this bank is holding all of my money. Alisha ** will not return any email I have sent to her. Do yourself a favor and stay away. Also check complaints and see for yourself. I should have done more research before I opened an account there.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have been with Chase for 7 years, and the customer service is absolute **. I've had 3 separate horrible incidents within the past year and I am currently switching banks. I have a new landlord who only accepts cash or checks and has failed to deposit my checks on time which makes things very inconvenient so I've recently started paying her in cash. I went to take out cash and the atm only let me take out $500, so I went inside and asked a teller to take out the remainder for me. She asked me “why so much money” which was none of her business, I said “rent” and she goes “your landlord isn’t a chase customer ?” And I said I wasn’t sure, she proceeded to say “well tell them to download Zelle”... super bizarre!

A few weeks ago, I went to deposit cash tips (I do hair and makeup) I had accumulated (less than $500) and the ATM did not work. I asked the teller if she could help and she told me to take a seat and wait for the next available banker. I finally sat with one and he asked me for my ID and social, and then proceeded to pander me with questions about my job, made a rude comment, and then told me that I looked cold in my outfit (I was wearing a leather jacket and jeans). I am done with Chase!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

My bank accounts were emptied by a merchant in Mexico, and my credit cards were also used by this merchant. I paid my dues in cash, minus 352 pesos, because that was all the cash I had in pesos, so I decided to use my bank card. They swiped my card and I entered my pin. They promptly stated that the card did not go through, so I gave them a credit card. Again they said the card did not go through. I assumed it was due to traveling to another country, so I gave another card, and then they said it was authorized. I woke up in the morning and checked my bank. To my surprise it was emptied and even overdrawn. I checked my credit cards and they were used to steal my money as well. I checked my backpack and it was emptied. My gold watch, gold jewelry, etc. To make things worse, they charged me in dollars rather than pesos as they promised multiple times.

They overcharged me, manipulated the currency, I paid with another method, etc. Chase denied my claim with no legitimate explanation. The representatives seemed to be incompetent and unsympathetic. They said I must supply a receipt for the cash payment, yet I was not provided a receipt, and I am not sure how to contact the scammers. The only information I have is the name on my bank statement, and I found no information online with that name. What I did see was other people complaining about some mysterious merchant stealing from them with the name I found on my bank statement. I am going to involve a financial advocate, a lawyer, and the police. This is not acceptable.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Apparently some scam artist got my information and placed a charge on my account. I noticed a deduction from my account that I had not authorized and contacted Chase to block it. They did but when they investigated they then resubmitted it and charged me again. Simply because these people had my information was enough for them to resubmit the charge.

After I complained and told them it was a scam, they held me responsible for the charge. Talking to them was a waste of time, I got no sympathy and was told I had to recoup the money myself. Instead of customer first, they apparently are scam artist first. If this was a legit charge, after I told them it wasn't they should have blocked the charge as I requested and if the scammers had a legit charge have them contact me, which they wouldn't have done. This is ass-backwards and I now see why to scammers it's worth it, we have no protection regardless of what they advertise and charge us for. I'm done with Chase, I'll be going elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

When I opened the checking account with Chase, I was told if there was not enough money in account the charge would be declined. I was told with this account, there would not be any overdrafts. I was told by Chase Customer Service at the branch Bank on Broadway and Camino Seco in Tucson, Arizona that the account is secure, and they do not have problems with Identity Theft.

Chase totally lied to me! At the same time, no one wants to take any responsibility, and you are given the runaround. I would constantly be given the runaround by them. I would get unauthorized charges along with overdraft charges by them. I do not do any online banking or transactions because of lack of security. I did not make any transactions to my account since June. The account was closed due to inactivity. Any money coming into Chase direct deposit by my employer was to be returned to employer. This did not happen. I called Chase Customer Service and could not get through since said account was closed. I went down to the branch bank and was further given the runaround. I was told they could not bring up any information since account was closed. I was given another number which is Deposit Recovery. I was given further runaround.

I was told to call Company that made unauthorized charge. The number they gave me was no good. Bottom line, Chase commits Consumer Fraud. Their Accounts are not secure. Constant Identity Theft and they can take money from you at will and unauthorized. I certainly will not be doing any further business with Chase. Criminal Charges should be filed against this bank. Also, my paycheck from Pearson should be returned to Pearson since account is closed and there is no direct deposit.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Chase is nothing but a scam with check cashing fees to individuals without an account to make them create an account that they don’t want. As the owner of a company I do not accept checks from customers paying me with a Chase Bank check. I have never had a good experience With Chase in any regard. For all the people who hold a Chase Bank account you do nothing but reinforce everything that’s wrong about banking. Be smart and cancel your Chase account.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have over $20,000 in credit. I didn't bring my credit card with me on vacation. I wanted to purchase an item online. I tried looking up my account online but due to privacy the Online system referred me to call customer service. I called and was again denied my own credit card number. I owe $505.00 on my credit card. Guess what??? I paid off the account and told them to stick it!!! I'll go somewhere else for my credit card needs.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I got a page yesterday around 830 am that my account was overdrawn, alerts. I had a charge from AT&T which wiped out my account. I called and spoke to the claims girl who said it would take 12 hours to get credited back the money that was taken. I called again last night and spoke to a guy who then told me it would not take 12 hours but 2-3 business days. He stated the fraud Dept is closed on the weekends. Unbelievable! I wish fraud only worked M-F 8-5. This is the 4th time in about 4 years that my account was hacked, charged, and there I go through the process again. Oh we have chips embedded in our cards which will cut down on this very thing. Well, it doesn't work and neither does Chase's process. I am tired of getting different answers everytime I talk to someone there. I am done with this company.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I am stuck in the middle of a blizzard with my eight year old grandson. We stopped for gas and having no cash on me I went to use my debit card which was declined. I tried to sign on to my account to see why it was declined as I knew I had money in there to cover it. So now I find that I can't even have access to my account because they want me to prove I own the account but not until 9 a.m. when [x]they're fraud detection Department opens. So much for 24/7 customer service. I can't wait to get away from JPMorgan Chase. After 8 years of issue after issue this is the final straw. Someone has hacked my account and they would rather give them several more hours to do more damage than to hire enough people to run fraud detection 24/7. The 24/7 customer service line was one of the reasons I signed up with them. I sure will be bad-mouthing them to anybody who will listen. Avoid JPMorgan Chase at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Had no issues with Chase. My debit card number was somehow stolen, less than a week of having the card. I filed a claim. Chase denied the claim. Then they gladly took my deposits, including paycheck, but wouldn't let me touch MY MONEY. Claimed they have to mail me it. No one told me anything, they just chose to close my account. Oh well, at least I got $250 for opening a checking account with them. Every person I dealt with suddenly turned into a robot when I asked what was going on. They would not let me then CLOSE the account. They said it will take 10 days to close. That means, my upcoming paycheck will be deposited, they will hold it, then have to mail it. What a terrible bank.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Chase bank extending payroll check hold for no reason. I deposited a payroll check from the same company I have for several months and they added 3 more days hold because they have not cashed it at B of A and B of A doesn't release information about customers' accounts.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I had a negative balance from an automatic payment, so I went after work to deposit money. I made the deposit a little after 10 PM & wake up to an overdraft fee. I call and they say the cut off time is at 10 PM, why? It’s 2017, I don’t work a 9-5 schedule. Then I deposited a check one Friday night and I couldn’t get my money til Monday. Since when does it need to be only during business days? They’re terrible.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My experience with Chase Bank has been a nightmare. Chase Bank has been practicing high to low. Performing unethical practice. I had $200 in my account, a transaction for $ 229 was clear in my account. Instead of Chase Bank to charge me only one overdraft fees of $34 dollars. They charge me 4 different overdraft fees. $34 for $6.20, $34 for $7.10 $34 for $9.00 $34 for $7.00 and when I call them they refused to reverse the funds. I am so done with Chase Bank. The charges are ridiculous. There is no bank that can paid this kind of interest to any customer $136 for $29.00 overdraft. Am done with Chase.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company has shortchanged me $100 in a local branch. Called branch, John ** branch manager stated he would get back with me. Called next day to say there was no error. I went to bank two days later to have a teller hand over a trespass order. Then next day received a letter that Chase ending my account. Called and asked why did they hand me trespass order and close my account?! They said they can’t tell me. They said I will get a check for remaining balance. And that a $5 fee for expedited or lost card was issued same day I opened my account. I never asked for either!! Was told a complaint was sent to executive office and I will hear back in 14 days. I will never give this company or any entities related to JP Morgan another dime!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

High fees and absolutely no customer service. Often no one knows anything about any of the services. What a terrible bank. Only game in town if you need exchanges of foreign dollars. Everyone is always sorry and yes they are a sorry group. Spend lots of time in private conversations even if customers are waiting.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I make call collect back to the US just to check if I already let them know I will be using my CHASE Amazon Visa on my travel over sea. They basically make me wait for 5 minute which is normal for this time of year. They (the system) ask me for so many security features on there before I even got to a real person. Then the customer came online. He asked me AGAIN the same thing with the security features??? There something wrong here!!! Why did I waste my time here doing the SAME THING! I feel like I lost my time and money for making that call. I check myself again to see if I live in the 21st Century. This is a multi-billion dollars company and they can't even answer me my question! It's just one word, YES or NO. So they will try to say sorry, it SAD, below the normal, for so many reasons too.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Dec 1st, 2017 Was the day I had made an authorized withdrawal claim for $1260. Chase had told me it would take 10 business and up to 30 days max. On the first day that I had found out that money was taken from my checking account, the first I did was to call the claims fraud dept over the phone. They had advise me to go to the nearest branch and make that claim. Within that hour I was at Chase reporting a unauthorized withdrawal. Coming to find out that someone had used my wife's name and our checking account # with her forge signature. Here is the kicker, the money was withdrawn at a local branch of Chase in Arizona.

We had waited a full day and we had seen a scanned withdrawal slipped with amount taken through our Chase app. Boom! It is your hard evidence that someone has somehow got a hold of our checking account #. The representative at Chase had advise to create a new checking account, so that what we did. As of now it has been over ten business day, and still my funds has not been fully reimbursed. I warn all Chase account holders if you have an unauthorized funds taken out. Please be sure to have any rainy funds or extra cash laying around, 'cause due to the fact that Chase does not fund you some type temporary funds while you wait on the investigation.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had a Chase checking account and credit card in Owensboro, KY. I moved out of the county and opened a new account at First United Bank but kept my Chase accounts open. My wife did not have a Chase checking account but decided to open one to take advantage of a GasBuddy fuel discount card that included Chase in the few banks that can be used in the program. My wife received her ATM card on December 4th. That day she deposited a $400 check I had written from my First United account. Her receipt said the funds would be available December 13. When I deposit a Chase check in my First United account the funds are available the next day.

I checked my First United account and that check was processed December 5. A week later the deposit is still pending and unavailable at Chase. My wife brought copies of my bank statement and a photo of the processes check to the Chase branch and showed them to the manager. He just said, "Oh well, nothing can be done." I also purchased an auto last week. Chase pre-approved the loan but when the dealership manager looked at the rate he said he could and did find me a better rate. I will be closing my Chase accounts. Having $400 frozen for 10 days did not cause a hardship for me but I am certain it would cause serious problems for others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

This bank made me lose my plane ticket. Told me that I can file for their insurance claim and I will get reimbursed, made go through their whole process and collect many documents and then denied my claim, they even had the audacity to call me on the phone after their denial to tell "is there anything else we can help you with". When I said, "How exactly was what you did helpful?" The guy said "well I've been helpful by telling you that your claim has been denied." Horrible bank and customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I would suggest that you do not bank with NYC Chase Bank. They do not have concern for their customers! Without notification they closed two of my accounts and sent MY money to the state for "unclaimed funds". In all my years in banking with many good reputable banks in NY I have NEVER had an experience like this. I will now have to deal with the state to reclaim MY money. I'm going up the chain at Chase Bank to complain and report them to the state for their inappropriate banking behavior. Shameful!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

This bank is ridiculous, and I have never had such a bad experience with them, as I have only been with them since April and from then I had issues, not only with cashing checks, with having to call all the time to verify my transactions and when I called the first time they was closed and it's happened a couple times. I had deposited a lot of money and when I tried to withdrawal it they gave me a hard time and I had to call and verify who I was. They wanted 2 forms of ID and I had to wait at the bank for an hour.

Along with that cashing checks they want me to wait 1 day before I can access the funds, and service fees I got double charged when I know I had money in my transaction but the 2nd one I knew I didn't. They double charged me 34.00 twice when I had money in it the first time but I have never had a bad experience with them and when I tried to cancel my account they just did what I asked the first time but I'm done with this bank and I don't recommend to anyone.

Chase expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.

• Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.

• Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.

• Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.

• Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.

• Best for: Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.chase.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use