Chase Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bank with Chase since 2003. Always could say only very good things about the bank. But one day I stopped by the branch to make a deposit, while I was waiting in line, I checked my account and found one cashed electronic check for 26.09$. I was surprised. That check even wasn't on my last name and was cashed from my account. Same day personal banker was very helpful. My account was closed and opened another. That was 12-02-16. Today is March 20, 2017. I still didn't get my money back. I kept calling to claim department: answer was that it will be credit during 10 business day. I just wondering how long takes to do customers resolution? I just lost the trust of this CHASE bank!

So I wanted to support a friend out of town and instead of wiring money, he chose to give me his account number to deposit money into. I went to my own bank to withdrawal cash so that I wouldn't have any issues with a check hold on his account and the money not being available to him immediately. Upon making it to the teller window at Chase Bank on Briarcliff Rd in Tucker, GA, I was told that since I wasn't a CHASE bank customer, I couldn't deposit cash into the account! Now, not only has this taken three (3) days to clear from my account as a debit purchase (lol), they also charged me a $3 fee!!!

VERY disappointed that I wasn't even told about the fee. It's not like I was using an ATM to be charged a fee. I was FORCED to use my debit card to make the deposit into my friend's account, and then I had to go back to my bank to deposit the cash that I took out in order to cover the transaction because I didn't want my account to be too low. I will NEVER recommend Chase bank to anyone! And I will post this review on my Facebook page!

Banked with Chase for many years. Recently had an account closed due to bad check through online transaction. They informed me I would have to come in and open a new account, so following their suggestion I did. So the next day opened a new account with new cards etc, then when I checked online banking for my SS check deposit a few days later could not access. Called the phone number listed. They informed me this account was also closed. In the meantime the SS check was deposited. I checked with SSA, so I checked with bank again where is my money, they said accounts are closed and no check no money. When I supplied them with the trace information from the Feds they all of a sudden found it. Oh yeah then told me check is in the mail, so I asked when it was mailed. They said 7 of March. Now keep in mind my check had been deposited at exactly 11:59 the 2 of march.

Several days past I received a letter informing me the account was closed. Called them again. They acted like nothing was amiss, and there were no funds. When I once again went through all the tracer information, they found it, but informed me it was not only sent from Ohio but that it was sent to an address that I've never had. So here I sit payments past due, no solution other than to go to branch office fill out another form, and that they're will issue another check. It's already the 14th of March. If I had bounced a check they'd be all over it. Will they pay my late fees? I think not. The worst banking experience of my life. Don't use Chase Bank for anything... Let you know if this ever gets resolved, signed miss the good old days of honesty and truth, so sad that it is a world of deceit!!!

I bank with Chase, my employer also banks with Chase. Every pay period they manage to place a hold on my paycheck regardless of the fact that my check comes from their account and they are able to tell if funds are available (in which our company has never had a problem). I call almost every other week to ask to remove the hold and they promptly do and also advised that I will never receive an overdraft fee if they have placed a hold on my check as it is a result of them. Well this week they decide to reorder the way my transactions took place (I check my account every morning). The lower transaction was in place that morning and later in the afternoon I personally made another transaction that shouldn't have taken place until the following day but it didn't. I received a text a 10:38pm that night notifying me that my account was negative.

Reality is that was my fault, I'll take it, but what isn't is the following day the charges are reordered and I now have received a fee for the $12.87 charge (which was covered) and the $215 charge (I earned that fee). But what has really gotten me upset is that they also gave me a fee on the 10th for a charge when I deposited my paycheck (from a chase account) in which the placed a 24 hour hold on (which didn't bother me at the time cause I was told by a chase representative I would NEVER receive a fee for a hold placed by them).

This is now becoming excessive. I take care of a family of 5 and do my very best to balance my money that I actually earned, and here is some bank that comes in and can take it whenever they find ways to ever so easily cheat hard working people out of the money they ACTUALLY work for. For years now the Federal Agencies have come down on the unfair practices in the mortgage industry but I'm quite certain if maybe the FTC gave a real good look into the un-fudged records of the many banking customers they would find a plethora of unjustified fees we have been charged and we have no one here backing us up and making sure we get treated fair and just.

So in the matter of 48 hours Chase bank has taken $68 of $102 that is unjustified and they have found a way to manipulate the system to work in their behalf and there is no real way I can fight this. I have been with this institution since 2011 and have dealt with several fees and I will gladly swallow the ones I have earned. But I have a real big problem accepting the ones I did not. Sure I could move to another bank and close this account but the reality is all financial institutions practice the same slimy way so nothing is actually being solved.

On Thursday March 9, 2017, I went to ATM at Chase Bank to withdraw money from my debit card. The ATM didn't dispense my money, instead I received a receipt telling me the ATM had malfunctioned, it also said to go into the bank and they would help me. I don't bank at Chase. I have a Brinks prepaid card. I get my paycheck deposited into this card and I always go to this Chase ATM to withdraw my money. I pay 3$ for withdrawing 300$. I went to teller, she said she couldn't help me because I didn't have an account and I would have to go to Brinks. Well I did this. I sent Brinks a copy of the receipt. They told me Chase took my money. It was withdrawn from my account from Chase... I don't have my 300$ that I worked hard for. Where can I go to have someone help me... Can you help me get my money that someone stole from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

I went into a Chase Bank and signed up for a checking and savings account and a high school account. I told the banker multiple times that I wanted paperless and that I did not want my information shared. I returned home and went online and made my account paperless when I noticed it had not been done. Over the next month, I received no less than 3 letters from Chase, with my full account numbers and account history. I called the personal banker and I asked why this was happening, and she told me "It would then take another 3 months to correct." I then found out that my information was being sold to third parties and that the boxes for "limiting sharing" had not been checked, and it would take "4 to 6 weeks to stop the sharing"!!! I called no less than 6 branches and managers, with no help, and was even asked by one "why I wanted to be paperless and limit my sharing of my info”!

I tried to go to the executive office, but was also treated very rudely and indifferently and was told there "was nothing they could do". My daughter's cellphone started blowing up with marketers and real estate people calling–guess we know how THAT happened, huh? When I went to close the account, I was told I could not have my money because I had opened the account under their promo which gave the customer $300 during the first month, because I had not kept the account open for more than 6 months!! STAY AWAY from these crooks. They more than recouped their 300 dollars by selling our personal information to outside car dealerships, realtors, marketers. Furthermore, a customer should have the right to go paperless ASAP when they request, and it was their mistake to not have done so from the start.

I hired a contractor to reface our kitchen. They took our money and barely did any work. I contacted Chase to get some of our money back. I had to deal with (in my opinion) complete incompetents in Mumbai, India who did not care one bit. They drag the dispute process out for 6 months, demanded I cancel the contract, demanded I send in about 100 pages of information including another bid, every single email, the contract, receipts, etc. We also sent in pictures and an itemized list proving they did not do the work. We gave them everything they asked for and proved our case to the last detail. Chase still ruled in the other companies favor saying the contractor had not promised us a refund!!! We don't think they ever read what we sent in. We had to deal with their dispute dept. in Mumbai, India the entire time. They were entirely incompetent in our opinion. They made a horrible situation even worse.

No matter what you do, they make you deal with the people in Mumbai who don't give a... We tried contacting their executive office who just blew us off. Now we have a kitchen with no doors or drawers, have to sue the contractor 6 months later, and they have hurt our case with the 6 month delay and making us cancel the contract. We were customers for over 23 years but never will be again!!!

BEWARE that Chase.com only allows customers to download 3 months of transaction history into accounting software like QuickBooks... You can NEVER go back and pull data from ANY transactions older than 3 months = your ONLY option is to manually enter each transaction based on PDF versions of prior bank statements... I contacted Chase.com's online support and they could NOT help/resolve (this is a long-standing corporate policy). This unacceptable/inexcusable policy makes Chase services for small business owners and accounts completely unworkable. STAY AWAY from Chase!!

I got my auto loan through Chase. I did everything online and all was "ok" until their web system screwed up and tried to pull payment from another account (that I'd never even used before when I'd been making payments on the same account for months). This resulted in a $25 fee from Chase and a $24 fee from my credit union - and it was THEIR mistake (defaulting to the wrong account to pull from).

So far it's been more than 72 hours trying to get the fee refunded. I've had 8 different people contact me via email and somebody from the bank called me at 7:30 am this morning, waking my wife and I up! I called their department and after being on the call for over 20 minutes was told by the supervisor there was nothing he could do and we'd have to "wait". This level of bureaucratic incompetence tied to a extortion-based fee (note there's no cost to them at the rejection of payment) makes it clear. Chase is a monster bloated regime of idiots with a system where you cannot get anything done. Do yourself a favor. STAY AWAY from this bank. Go to a credit union. At least there you can deal with real local people directly and talk with people who can get things done!

We have 6 years experience with Chase bank and 4 times we have fraud transactions and only 1 time Chase resolved. This is bank with absolutely don't care about your issue. For example: 3800$ withdrawal from our account by fake check, no signature and during 12 hours we called to Fraud department about that and they open claim and denied because that company be our insurance broker 2 years ago. (We cancelled relationships with them 2 years ago for same reason.) 2 years later, they change name and using information from our check (12 different companies have the same problem with them). Chase security level and customer support absolutely zero.

On January 3, 2017, I made the mistake of placing an order for two free trials of skin care products. In that order, I agreed to the two shipping fees of $5.95 each. Those two charges showed up on my account as two different merchants located in Tennessee. On January 10, 2017, two additional charges showed up on my account to two different merchants located in California. Both of these charges were for right under $100 apiece. When I discovered these charges, I immediately called Chase and the charges were credited back to my account and I was provided a new debit card. Yesterday, on February 28, 2017, I received a message from Chase stating that their decision had been reversed, and the charges would be displayed on my account once again.

When I called Chase to determine what had happened I was told that the charges had been verified. I asked what the verification was and I was told that the merchant supplied my name, address, and email address. I tried to explain that yes they would have that information because I originally agreed to the $5.95 shipping charges. The agent that I spoke with was, in my opinion, extremely condescending and gave me the impression that they did not believe what I was telling them. They offered me no empathy. They did not apologize for the decision. And when I asked about a recourse, I was told to Google visa.

I have tried different ways to reach out to chase since that call to try to resolve the situation and to even see if I could get an apology for the way the agent spoke to me. I have not yet communicated with anyone that seems to care at all that I was disappointed in the customer service interaction. I have been a very loyal customer to chase for several years and have even recommended Chase to many friends and family members. At this point, I am strongly considering taking my business elsewhere.

Every month, it seems I have to change my password. It seems Chase Online suddenly won't accept a PW that I had. Customer Service walk me thru and verify. I went in to change my pw this morning (I Did Not "forget it"), I put in my correct PW from last month; it: "changed" it. Very sloppy...

I called Chase Fraud Prevention, 1-800-307-3161, on 2/22/17 at 7:18am and I spoke with a Kathleen ** (however you spell her last name). We listed all of the fraudulent transactions we noticed and I had a total of 5 and she had a total of 4. Instead of double-checking with each other to ensure we have the correct fraudulent transactions she refused and continued on about cancelling my debit card and sending a new one.

Chase and its representatives need to understand that the customer doesn't experience fraudulent activity every day and thus even if the representative knows the 5 fraudulent activities will be compensated for, they still need to explain to the customer why and at the very least they need to make sure the customer is satisfied with the information and service that has been given. Instead of treating the customer as if they have no reason to be concerned. I WILL UPDATE THIS REVIEW ONCE COMPENSATED AND WILL TELL IF IT’S FOR 4 OR 5 FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS.

I don't know if I misunderstand something here, but it I just discovered that the Chase Credit Card Ink is charging me interest for purchases just recently, in the last few days conducted. Here's what happened: (My Ink card billing cycle is mid-month to mid-month) In early January I made a purchase for $1,616.57. In late January the statement came (Closing date 16th). I paid 800 dollars before the due date leaving a balance of $816.57 unpaid. In February as recent as February 15th, one day before the closing date I made some business purchases of around $6,500. I got the February statement and on it I see interest charge of $115.13. What? That can be I thought, $115.13 in interest charges for a residual balance of $816.57!? In the back of the statement on the last page it says under -31 days billing-. Balance subject to interest rate $4,520.14....

I called Chase Bank customer support and like them I recorded the conversation. Rather unfriendly and curt I was told by a supervisor that if every month the balance is not paid in full interest applies immediately to the current running balance including all new purchases. What? This is not an Amex card! It's a credit card! Yes, I understand that they charge interest on balances. But not on new purchases that I have not even received the statement for! Apparently they charge interest not only on what remained of the previous month as unpaid remainder balance but immediately charge interest on any new purchases!!! Zero grace period! I never heard of such a thing neither have I found on my other credit cards statement such a thing!

In other words, and as a fictitious example: If I charge in January $1000 and get in early February the January statement with the due date by end of February and pay $999 leaving $1 balance due and charge during February $5000, Chase Credit Card Ink will charge me interest not only for the $1.00 residual balance of January but will charge me for all purchases in February interest because I did not pay the January bill in full in February!

In other words, as in this above fictitious example, as I paid $999 for the $1000 January charge, I had $1.00 residual balance due. Chase credit card now charges me immediately interest on all new purchases done in February and adds this interest to February statement which will be due by end of March. Really? What do I have a credit card for? And I missing something here? Am I not understanding something here? I cannot find any such thing on any other credit card I have. IS THIS LEGAL?

Absolutely outrageous behavior by manager Marcela ** (Sepulveda, North Hills, California, branch). After a decade of going every single month to pay my credit cards every first of the month, she refused to waive an eight dollar fee to cash a 1000 check. I guess they do not care if they know you or not, they treat you like a thief, when they are the thieves. We are cancelling our cards with them. Don't bother opening an account with Chase, you are better off with US Bank, who do treat you right when they know your face.

I had a second mortgage on my home with Washington Mutual. Chase took over and assigned a new account number. I tried to refinance and was refused for debt to loan ratio. Checked report to find out Chase reported two second mortgages to the big three for the tune of 90k dollars. I brought it to their attention and they said they had fixed it. Seven months later I was refused again. Two seconds still on credit report. Chase said they had no record of a second, second mortgage. Filled out paper work for them stating I had one loan. They promised it would be fixed. Tried to refinance again and was refused for debt to load ratio again. A second mortgage still on credit reports.

Went to Chase and received confirmation of only one loan. Gave a copy to the financial institution I was refinancing with and sent copies to the credit companies. Conditional of my loan the second would be closed upon payment they received. It was overpaid 105 dollars on 12/19/2016. They refuse to give me the money, saying my draw period has expired. Physically went in and filled out an account closure. It is now three months later and they send an Email thanking me for my payment of 105 dollars. I call them and they say they are sorry and they would have to fill out an action order and it will take 5 more days. They say I am not entitled to any interest or penalties for their mistakes. If I made a mistake I am willing to bet I would be charged late fees and interest.

So I have my account set up for no over drafts to go through. Then I started to get over drafts going through on my card, so I called and asked them, "Why are you allowing these charges to go through If I set up my account for this not to go through in the first place." Then they tell, "Oh we can allow charges to go through" if someone tried to charge my account with my checking account number and I can't say I don't want charges to go through. So then a debit charge goes through and I have it set up for no debit charges to go through if there are no funds. So I called and they tell me, "Oh that's only for debit charge of one time. But if you set up recurring debit charge for every month we can let that go through" if they want and I can't stop that. So I said, "What is the point of setting no overdrafts to go through, if you're telling they can do what they want anyway." So they did nothing to help and basically told it was on me, Now I have left Chase. They are horrible.

Chase passes repeat fraudulent credit card charges on from vendor even though timely notified of fraud. Horrendous customer service. Escalation level is even worse. Major competency and integrity issues. Management does not respond. Then sends out bill collectors trying to intimidate. Cannot be trusted.

I have banked with Chase since 2004. In 2014 my daughter opened a high school checking account and in 2016 she converted that to a college checking - due to issues with claims, which has nothing to do with me or my accounts, Chase decided to close my daughter's checking but at the same time also decided to close the savings & my checking account as well because my name was attached to all accounts.

I escalated this issue to several departments and spoke with several different reps some consisting of a senior rep named Chi Chi, a team lead named Tony ** from the restriction dept & finally someone in the loss prevention dept named Treba - they all recite the same rehearsed script..."the bank can make a decision to close an account for any reason & there is no additional information they have to provide." WOW that's it after 13 years of business. After reading the other reviews this is not surprising & I now say good riddance because I don't want to continue doing business with a company that doesn't value loyal customers anyway!!!

I want people to be on alert with Chase Bank and the reason I say that is as follow: if you write a check and don't have enough money in the account they will post the checks at 11:59pm but you will only be advised by your alert settings after 7:00am. Why they do that because they want to take $34.00 overdraft fee. Because they know you can't go in 60 seconds to the branch to deposit money to cover the overdrawn account. That's why they pick 11:59pm to post all the checks. It's like they do it on purpose to take your money because they know you can't do anything about it. It's wrong and it's not a practice that they should be doing to their customers if they value them in any way. Shame on this big financial institution. This is how they treat their customers no good.

Account cancellation with no explanation. So I had a Chase account in 2014, that I had closed. Then recently I decided to open a new account with them (worst thing I've ever done). Anyways I spoke with a Chase rep and they informed me that I would be able to open an account with them and all I had to do was go to a branch with 25 dollars and they will open the account. And so that's what I did but instead of $25 dollars I deposited $100. So 2 days later I tried to check my balance on my online account and I was told that my access was suspended!

So I called Chase to find out what was going on with my account and those idiots couldn't even tell me why they are closing the account, and that it was just a decision that was made. Then to make matters worst I tried to withdraw the amount that I had left on my account and was told I can't, and that it has to be mailed to me via cashier's check 10 business day after that day. So I waited and it been way over 10 business day and still no check! I call Chase and was told the account was closed on February 1st and I have to wait another 10 business days to receive the check.

I would never in a million years recommend Chase to anyone, just don't waste your time with this guys. They are full of b.s and they don't even have any customer service skills! Oh I almost forgot when I called in, it was transferred to the fraud department and thought OK may I'll get some answers. Nope I was told what I already knew from the fraud department, that my account was reviewed and it was decided to be closed! Still no explanation. If I could give no stars at all I would. Chase does not deserve no star. They will close your account without giving you any explanations and will refuse to give you your money back in cash even though that was the way it was deposited into the account. They should just close down for good!

Not Happy with Chase. Chase bank has been deteriorating for a few years. My latest experience is being charged $8.00 for a cashier's check. I have never paid for a cashier's check when I had an account at the bank. Also, Chase had a very good online bill paying application. They totally changed it around with no explanation to one that is so user unfriendly that for the first week or so, I couldn't figure it out. They have me pretty hooked with the bill paying, but about one more negative surprise from them and I will be gone. Anyone thinking of switching to Chase, beware.

Most ridiculous customer service experiences I've ever had. They have ZERO record of my credit card - which I closed FOUR months ago (only to open another Chase account with rewards). How can it appear on my credit report, I can show two years of payment history and an institution of that size cannot find me? I am horrified.

Asking Chase to close IRA and they want to charge closing fee. They can't provide any proof of such fee. I have my paperwork from the time I opened the account and no mention of closing fee. They can't point it out either.

I have had the same problem many people here had. You rely on the information reflected on the Chase website or app and they clear a bunch of stuff in the middle of the night so they can charge overdraft fees. I have been with the same bank over 20 years (through 2 buyouts before becoming Chase) and every year the benefits are less and the fees are more. Disney rewards are not worth dealing with Chase. There are better options.

Chase is the worst!!! My account was compromised and all my funds were wiped out. Someone called the bank and changed my email and password; according to the bank. So, Chase advised me to close the old account and open a new one. They said they would investigate the fraud and credit back my funds. I filed my claim on Monday, January 23rd. I still have not received a cent of my money and it's January 31st. The bank credit my account (old and closed account); not once, twice but three times. NO apologies. No one is willing to help. I have bills and day to day living expenses that I can't meet because the bank's employees are a JOKE!!! It's like speaking to automatic teller; NO ONE CAN FIX the problem. They repeat the same thing over and over. This is unacceptable. Once I get my funds back I will be baking with a credit union.

I deposited a check on Sat night, they told me will be complete by Monday, which I believed. Now is Tuesday morning, I called again. They tell me it will be process by Tuesday night before 7 P.M. Are you ** kidding me? I CAN NOT PAY MY LICENSE PLATE AND MY PERSONAL INSURANCE ON TIME. CHASE ** SUCK. I am going to quit everything with chase. ** garbage Chase.

December 30, 2016 at 7;30 AM, someone sent continuous calls to my cell and home phones while sending constant texts to my phone and email so I was distract and could not review alerts. The criminals transferred $3K from savings to checking and withdrew all the funds from ATMs in New York. I live in Wisconsin. When I went on online to change cell phone numbers, I noticed the fraud at 9AM. I went immediately to the Wisconsin Chase Private Client banker to close the compromised accounts, surrender my debit card and open new accounts.

Chase gave me a temporary credit within 24 hours but took it back on Jan 24th and refused my claim! They said they validated the transactions and will not call me back. My debit card has never left my possession and I was not in New York where the fraud occurred. Since I notified the bank immediately I am not liable. My Financial Adviser and Private Banker have been working on a solution but I am amazed at the response from the Fraud Department. I will provide an update based on their response.

I had a very good impression about this company but after I experienced of trying to create a card from here. The worst experience ever. The customer service was horrible. Every time I try calling in they had attitude and seem like no one wanted to help. However, finally got to speak to the supervisor who was actually good that tried to help (if it wasn't for her I would not even wanted to give 1 star). Also, she was helpful to talk to different department. However, different department especially credit department was so rude. Therefore imagine if you had a card here and wanted support no one will be willing to help. SUPPORT IS HORRIBLE!!! Don't ever EVER be a client here!

Repeated calls from an overseas call center identifying itself as JP Morgan Chase regularly calls my home phone to report that I have an unpaid debt. Initially made attempts to reach the JP Morgan Chase Fraud Unit but no response despite bank online presence indicating it provides oversight to victims of identity fraud. These callers are particularly sophisticated in their fake pitch. What makes these calls an upsetting experience - no way to contact Chase to investigate if they are aware of '847-426-9203' as a fake phone call center. I have never had Chase account and never would based on inability to reach Chase fraud.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Chase is the consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), a major global financial services firm. Chase Bank’s reach spans almost half of America’s households.

• Services: Chase’s services span the banking sphere and include personal banking, small business lending, mortgages, credit cards, auto financing and investment advice.
  • Highly ranked: According to their website, Chase has received numerous awards and recognition for their products and services.
  • Digital banking: Chase is at the forefront of electronic banking including mobile, online, e-pay, account alerts and more.
  • Financing options: With everything from student loans to home equity lines of credit, Chase Bank has the financing options for students, military, home buyers, business owners as well as typical consumers.
  • Account rewards: Chase products may include special rewards and promotions. Chase offers a variety of checking and savings accounts for retail customers, including free, no-fee options and interest earning accounts.
  • Best for Chase Bank offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions