Chase Bank

Chase Bank

3.2/5 (789 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Chase Bank

Chase offers home lending services, including mortgages, refinancing and home equity loans. It provides online prequalification and home buying resources. The company gives consumers access to mortgage specialists both online and at branches.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Chase Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

On Feb 2nd, I deposited 2 checks (both in the same amount) to my account via mobile deposit. They were from a company that was paying rent on behalf of one of their low income clients. (It's a charitable organization.) I also work with this client, and his rent is payable to me. The bank put a hold. Then they froze my account. Mind you, these are valid checks, written from a legitimate business, that intentionally paid me.

I called them, and they said they needed to verify the checks, or wait for the 10 day (2 week) hold to expire. I gave them contact information for the organization, which they called, only to return claiming they couldn't verify the checks with their payroll dept. I exclaimed "It's not a payroll check! It's a business to business transaction, this has nothing at all to do with payroll! You're looking for accounting, obviously" - Transferred to a supervisor, who then told me she was going to have my account closed, because I was unable to offer information to verify. She said the balance of my account would be mailed to me upon the hold being released, and the account closure would take place at that time.

Waited 2 weeks. Called Chase back, because the hold should be released, and I wanted a tracking number for the check. It hadn't been issued. But the account had closed... (But NOT before accepting my tax refund from the IRS) So after going back and forth for another 2 days, I finally get them to call the accounting department, (for the checks that had already cleared, and should no longer have a hold). Here we are on week 3, and I'm filing a complaint with OCC.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

2/27/22 found out someone stole my check (I wrote to ComEd bill) and somehow erased the ink and wrote themselves a new check for $991.78 (ComEd check was for $41.67, still have the copy). I always drop it off inside the post office. I called Chase bank 1-800-935-9935, they put me with the fraud department. Waited, they hung up. Called back to Chase (waited 20 minutes again), they put me with the fraud department again; this time got through. I was talking to a women and explained what happened. She said, "it would take 2-3 business days to get my money back". She asked me lots of questions (where do you keep your checks, when did you notice, do you know this person, etc..). She looked at all my old checks and notice that it was not my handwriting, also I have never written a personal check from this account.

The only check I write once a month is to ComEd, always! I waited 3 days, no money in my account; so I called the fraud department again. This time it was a guy, he was telling me that they still had questions that need answering. I said go ahead, he asked the same questions as the first time I called few days before. The guy said the person before did not put it in the system. I asked why didn't they call me sooner, because we would send you a letter (I got the "letter" on 2/15/22). During the phone call he kept putting me on hold for long time, finally came back to tell me it will take another 30 days to review my case. I asked why? He could not tell me, I will find out through mail. I told him that I have to pay rent on the first of month and don't have any more money. I'm a single parent of disable child, I can't work because my child needs me 24/7. I have very little money and I budget every penny.

Because of this, I have to chose to pay rent or pay for medicine for my child. I even took my check book to the Chase office, to show them the copy of the check. They didn't even look at it and said that they can't do anything for me and it has nothing to do with them. It is 2/18/22 and I'm still waiting. Wondering what's going to happen. I can't sleep, eat. Will, me and my child get kicked out because I can't pay rent or do I pay rent and don't by the medicine for my child (epilepsy, kidneys, etc..) watch him be in pain. Chase really doesn't give a care! Chase messed up and should never have let the check go through. It didn't even come close to my handwriting (I always write it in cursive, clear, and this check was in print), also if you go back one check every month is always to ComEd (always less then $50). I don't know what to do, please can anyone help! I will be forever grateful!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

How a bank dissatisfied a new client closing its first account with this bank without any reason in couple of days! I open my account like 2 weeks ago and yesterday I can't access my account with money and the system told me to call the bank and they told me the bank decide to cut the relationship with client and close the account! I ask if I can open a new one and they told me never, thanks Chase! Looking in the internet too many people suffer this upset situation from the "best" bank of USA.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Overdraft fees are horrible, they charge 34$ for every overdraft transaction, they are stealing my money. Very very bad experience. In a single day I was charged with 100$ of overdraft fees. I will start looking for other options to move out of Chase.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I have a very bad experience with this bank, they barely answer the phone, put checks on hold for 10 business days. I was traveling and they don't help me to have my money available. If you cancel a transaction they hold the money for several days before returned to you account. They charge you for everything. Very bad financial Institution.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

What an unprofessional, lazy, and disrespectful organization. We have four young boys and my money is ding dong ding, that’s right, in my account. However, you froze my entire account, including access for both my wife and I. I can’t buy groceries or get gas. Money that is mine is now under lock and key. Oh yes, it’s a weekend too, and I can’t get anyone in the line. I wasn’t even contacted, frozen and none of our cards work. Real nice Chase, so much for our family weekend. Bunch of scumbags, I love that I deployed 8 times to return to this type of crap. I HATE JP MORGAN CHASE and I hope nothing but horrible things for this company. What is wrong with you and why do you do this to hard working Americans? What a disgrace, I will be closing everything with you. You stole from me and are making us eat Ramen until I get in the face of the local office first thing Monday.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I opened a Chase Amazon CC account. Two months later I receive a letter to complete form SSA-89 and W-9. Despite never being asked for this information for any of my other credit cards I submitted the completed docs via mail and fax. I receive the same letter the following month. Again I submitted the completed docs via mail and fax. The next month I received noticed that my account was closed because I failed to submit the completed forms. I then scheduled an appt with the bank and provided the docs to an agent. She advised me the credit dept had received the forms and my account would be reopened in 48 hours. To date my account remains closed. This has negatively affected my credit score.

I have began calling chase Chase on Feb 2, 2022 at 3pm. It is now 7:42pm. I have placed more than 9 calls only to be placed on hold, transferred and disconnected for more than 3 hours. The last call - end result was a rep advising me the department I need to speak to is closed. Horrible service!!!! This bank does not care about its customers. This bank is notorious for horrible service. This bank does not resolve customer issues or inquiries.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I have had account with Chase for over 8 years. The first couple of years were good. Lately they have been holding onto my money for longer periods of time with no explanation. Besides, and the cherry of the cake was that I was trying to make a payment on my Sapphire card with my chase checking account and there was no way to make that payment. Called CS. They kept me in the line waiting for over an hour... their employees have bad service and they put you to wait another 30 mins because that person couldn't take the call... and blah blah blah... unacceptable.

They have played with MY TIME... and my time is MONEY. Guess what, they don't care one bit about it. I'm closing my accounts with this disrespectful company. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS BANK! SHAME ON YOU CHASE! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE MARKET. Do your research before opening an account with Chase. They will play with your money and time.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I opened a Chase account online and visited a branch that same day to make a cash deposit. After leaving the bank, I proceeded to make a Zelle transfer to a client for payment. Immediately after, transfer was canceled and I received a message that the transaction needed to be investigated further. When I tried to log in, my online access was blocked for suspicious activity. I called the number provided and after speaking to a very inexperienced representative, she informed me that the bank had determined to close my account. This process would take approximately 10 business days while it was investigated. When I asked what would happen to the cash I had deposited, she said that "if" the bank decided the funds could be released, a check would be mailed out to the address on file.

In other words, now I am at the mercy of Chase Bank to mail me all of the cash I deposited, which I will be not have available to pay for rent, utilities, and medications. No explanation, no information, and no foundation for closing my account in such abrupt manner. If you need to find a financial institution, DO NOT open an account at Chase, you'll regret it! This is by far the worst banking experience I've ever had to endure.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

Chase Bank screwed me over big time. I've been waiting about 6 months for the Texas rent relief assistance to finally make its way to my mailbox after probably over a hundred hours on hold in all and much worry and stress. I finally get the check and it's issued by Chase Bank and I didn't have a checking account anywhere anyways so I decided to open an account at Chase even though it's over an hour drive for me to get there from my house but I thought I could cash it the same day since that's what they told me on the phone when I called but that was a lie.

I get to the bank and they gave me hell just trying to deposit the check, I don't know why and they wouldn't tell me but they ended up letting me deposit the $9,040 check but they said I had to wait for it to clear but they issued the check, but they gotta make sure they have the money I guess, so after about 5 days of waiting and it's still not available I get my other check for $3,000 and decided to do a mobile deposit. They accept the check and then freeze my account. They tell me it's because of suspicious activity. They won't tell me anything else. Just waited until I deposited all this money I'd been waiting on that is suppose to keep me from being homeless. They took the money and closed my checking and savings account for no reason at all. They shouldn't have even accepted the checks.

They said something like they had to make sure the checks were suppose to go to me. They must've figured out that they were because they cleared the $3,000 check and I have $12,000 available money in their bank that I can't touch and it's gonna be a month at the least they said before I may need able to have access to it. They won't tell me **, I told them I was gonna need living under a bridge because of what they are doing and they didn't give the slightest care in the world. ** me over big time for no reason at all and I can't do a thing about it according to them and they sounded pretty proud of that when I talked to them.

I've never seen anything like it and can't believe they run a business like that. They should be in prison for fraud and theft. And they say they're making sure there's no fraud. They're the ones that are committing fraud and should be held accountable. Sorry ** crooks. Didn't care one bit when I told them that I was gonna be living under a bridge because of what they were doing. The guy on the phone sounded like he actually laughed when I told him that and they are proud that they don't have to give you any reason at all why they are doing this to you. I can't believe it. My power and my water will be disconnected shortly and I'll have to get out shortly after. I can't even login to see my acct. Steven D. **. They should be held accountable and sued for what they've put me through.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I ordered a swing set in November. I called Chase and they said to get a proof of delivery that it was never sent to my address. I got that information from the P.O., faxed it to Chase and they refuse to credit my account. The proof of delivery indicated the wrong address and the weight was 2lbs! I have been trying to get my money back and they refuse to fix the problem. This has been going on for over 2 months. They refuse to give me a manager's name or extension or anyone in Administration. Being a customer for 20 years I believe I have the right to obtain that information. They won't help me AT ALL with this issue. Just be aware if you have a problem Chase will not support you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Awful! Applied and approved quickly... Then the trainwreck! Took 45 min and 12 call transfers to correct inaccurate information they created. Cannot use the card for immediate travel either! Even though that was what was implied. Typical of the miserable communication and poor services or any large financial institution! NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

During this time of the pandemic, I have suffered twice with covid. I'm 65 years old, alone on a tight budget SSI. I have gone into the negative several times just to pay for food and medication. If it weren't for Chase to dismiss my $34 NSF fee I'd be on the street! With Chase since it was Washington Mutual for years. Chase Bank is one of the best banks in this entire world, and due to the United States Marine corps I have traveled three times overseas. Thank You Chase Bank❣️for not looking at me as just an account number. But as member/Chase family and taking care of me, truly I love Chase Bank!

Sincerely Marianne

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I wanted to work with you relying on the reputation and experience that supposingly you have. My husband wanted to work with you since everyone in his family has had an account for decades. Unfortunately, the disappointment from the inefficiency, inconsistency and misinformation of and from your agents over the years convinced me to seek a different bank company.

Three years ago, opening a business account took six weeks with six agents at three branches. There was huge discrepancy in information. It took us multiple trips to the bank branches, wasting my time and my husband’s time. Next, I have a business account that has been circulating $500K annually, with the prediction to increase the flow exponentially in the next years. When I needed to open a business credit line, I had to go through the same circus as I did for the business checking account opening.

The initial agent who is formally in charge of our case is still in “vacation” for over three weeks. (Alright, we can blame the virus for this.) She was the one who initially claim that the application process takes three minutes. However, since the official application submitted on December 23th, we have been on the phone with Chase on a daily basis, talking to multiple agents, working with our local bank branch in order to ensure that the documents needed have been received. Apparently, the Case email for business credit applications is unable to receive large file document such as tax returns (really, we are just a small business; what about big customers with large businesses?)…Clearly, the system is outdated and very inconvenient for the bank customers. It is made to discourage you.

Next, the knowledge of the agents is quite questionable. Most of them had their own opinion about the situation and each of them was requesting a document in addition to the previous agent’s request. Sometimes, some of them did not even check the documents that we submitted but already had a different requirement for the application. Well, I lost my patients with you Chase Bank long time ago but I believed in my husband’s opinion. Unfortunately, now both of us believe just in the malfunction and moreover the dysfunctional culture and level of business that the Chase Bank renders. It is time for change!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Horrendous customer service. Received my replacement debit card in the mail yesterday as I lost my original one. Activated it, no issues. This morning I went to use it and it was declined, come to find out Chase cancelled THE NEW CARD without my authorization and is sending me ANOTHER replacement card. When I called in they said there was nothing they could do and I would have to wait for the card to arrive even though it was at the fault of Chase. Not to mention they still had me pay to have the card overnighted, for the inconvenience they caused me. I will now be looking into other banks.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Look. Let me start by saying this happened to my sister years ago. I should have listened to her. Here I am. Experiencing the same issue. Because of a check that was written to me by my father who is very old school and might as well be Ron from Parks and Rec, they closed my account. Because they probably think I’m committing fraud. Instead of telling me this. They put a check deposit on hold for over 10 days.

Mind you we all have Covid at the moment, we can’t leave the house, my dad who is older definitely can’t leave and they want to call him to verify it was a check written to him. HOWEVER it needs to be a number registered under HIM. Did I mention he’s basically Ron from Parks and Rec? The only phone he has is his company phone THAT’s ON THE CHECK ITSELF. They refused to call him on there. Understood. Then they proceeded to tell us the bank account will be closed within 10 days but that check which is still on hold will either not be deposited. Or will be deposited but he must go in person to retrieve it.

He’s sick in bed. We have Covid. EVERY ONE OF US IN THE HOUSEHOLD. I told them we planned to cancel anyways we no longer want that check. We asked if we could call the person who’s the owner of the paying account and have them request their own bank communicate with Chase to try and send it back. The Loss prevention agent (yes LP took about 2 hrs and 15 minutes to answer btw) said that it could work but that our account is still canceled but they cannot tell us why.

We live paycheck to paycheck. We can’t wait 10 days with no groceries, no money for anything at all. I literally only have $6 in my account to begin with because that check was on hold. This is an ordeal, a ridiculous way to treat a customer who has been with them for years, who NEVER came across this issue before.

The LACK of professionalism and the RUDENESS I’ve received has left such a bitter taste I cannot think enough about my sister who warned me about them. I’m now warning everyone. FIND A DIFFERENT BANK. THEY’RE NOT WORTH IT. My account is also fully restricted while this goes down. Which means I can’t do a single thing with it. I can’t deposit or withdraw or use my card. For 10 days AT LEAST. If someone ACTUALLY had money in their account like my sister did, imagine having your money HELD HOSTAGE and have to wait to get the letter in the mail. I found out EARLY because I called. She found out after she could use her card anymore. They refused to give her information and then she just walked around for weeks confused waiting for her money in the mail. Her hard earned money that she needed to feed her family with.

Banks never really care about you. But they can at least pretend. Shame on Chase. On your shady practices and holding people’s hard earned money hostage. I really hope no one goes through this. If you’re reading this and have an account with them, do yourself a favor and go to a better bank. They’re not worth doing business with.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I'm coming from Wells Fargo and their card services are not up to par with Chase but their customer service is AMAZING. Chase is absolutely TERRIBLE. Each time I ask to speak with a manager they hang up. The representatives from their customer service that I've been in touch with are not able to communicate effectively. I understand that English does not seem to be their first language but their representatives are not polite, communicate badly and apparently hate to transfer to management. I've had this happen with other reps out of the country since they do not care. I'm canceling my card today.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I've been a Chase customer for over 30 years. At this point, I have to close my accounts. Chase's capabilities at online banking transactions is woefully inadequate. The fact that it forces me to use Zelle for online personal payments instead of allowing a consumer to use Automated Clearing House (ACH) functions is laughable... no, it's screamable, as in frustration. The customer support to attempt to fix this was 130 minutes of transferred calls, dropped calls, failures to launch and so on. It will be very hard to peel myself away from Chase because of the auto deposits and auto payments with vendors... but I have to do so. I have no confidence that Chase has the capability... or desire... to be an up-to-date institution.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I sent money to my mother through Zelle, to her Chase bank account. She didn't receive it because Chase bank flagged the transaction as fraud and they froze my mother's account. My mother called the customer service support and it wasn't resolved, she dealt with it the whole day and no one assisted her properly, she was just passed to different numbers and department and still not resolved. This is not the first time that I sent through Zelle, it's more than a year that I'm doing this and there was no problem at all. So why only at this time, they flagged it as fraud?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Been with Chase business for years. They have always provided mediocre business service and even worse customer service. I have over 200K of money sitting with them and they provide nothing but headaches and red tape. I am moving and hope you avoid them as well.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Chase isn't like a good bank. When fraud happens on your card they refuse to handle it and just reapply the bogus charges over and over again. Contacting customer service requires a week vacation from your employer to ensure you have adequate time for them to answer your call. They are extremely incompetent and you would be better off with American Express, or well any other credit card issuer besides them. Learned my lesson. Will never provide them another dollar of my money.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

We recently embarked to update and replace our credit cards with cards offering better benefits. We have exceptional credit, so obtaining cards should not be difficult. Indeed obtaining one card through a different bank was easily approved and finalized - literally within minutes. Our experience with Chase has been the polar opposite:

Firstly, Chase required us to expose our credit reports to open inquiry for a period (48 hours) while they obtain our report. We keep our credit frozen for security purposes and provide access as-needed, but Chase apparently has no mechanism for applicants to provide targeted access available to them only. This is an unnecessary security vulnerability for Chase’s customers in my opinion. Secondly, aside form an initial email acknowledgement, Chase provided absolutely no feedback regarding the application, and it is incumbent on the applicant to contact Chase if for some reason the application doesn’t proceed (as has been our case). Thirdly, our application with Chase apparently stalled because they could not validate a billing address. This is information that I later confirmed Chase indeed had, and was also included in our original application.

Lastly, clearing up this mess with Chase customer services required three attempts to reach them via telephone which were so horrendous it is comical. One of the calls I abandoned after waiting on hold for over 2 hours. My last call (which hopefully resolved the matter - fingers crossed) had me on hold for 2:40 (that’s 2-hours 40-minutes) to complete an unnecessary 60-second discussion with an agent.

Astonishingly, Chase’s member services has no mechanism for receiving a call-back… callers must wait on hold enduring Chase’s hold music frequently interrupted by a voice expressing how important my call is. I don’t know what other customers do while waiting, but I was able to change into the winter tires on my car, assemble furniture for my granddaughters, and catch up on reading while on hold. :) At this point I don’t even know if I’m even really interested in the card anymore, but my curiosity to see how this eventually unfolds is getting the best of me.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Applied for a promotional credit card affiliated with Southwest Airlines. Received a letter asking me to call them within 2 weeks to answer some questions about the application. Tried 4 times to reach them, waiting between 30 and 90 minutes on hold. I understand the challenges associated with providing live customer support right now, but they have provided absolutely no option to respond via the website or by email. I have an existing card with Chase, but will be setting up an alternative with a different issuer.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

We have business and personal accounts. Online breach within Chase happens 7 months ago. Chase closed the affected account without notice and required new username and passwords. Username has been changed 3 times and password 8 times. Setup security to only access from one IP address but that didn't work either. Called approximately 10 times to reset the password. Takes on average 1 to 2 hours each time to get thru to someone who can help. Very poor customer/technical services. Have gone to the local branch manager. I am a Sapphire account with a personal banker and they couldn't help either except to call the online support and they got put into 50 minute cue.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

What is going on Chase credit card customer service? I've been a loyal customer for years. Lately it is impossible to reach their customer representative. Called many times. They don't open long hours anymore. During working hours, no one answers phone. Couldn't dispute a charge online and was guided to speak to a representative. On hold for 30 minutes. Very disappointing. It is time to switch to another bank?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

My Daughter lost her card. I called to get it replaced. After half on an hour on the phone, I finally got someone. After another 45 minutes of questions they told me to go to the branch. I went to the branch. After half an hour of questions, they told me I had to call. I called again. After another 45 minutes, they told me to go to the branch. I went to the branch. After half an hour of questions again, I told them to get the branch manager. He basically told me too bad, told me he is closing my business and personal accounts, and threatened a number of other things. I didn't take it there, he did. (310) 541-2517, 27319 Hawthorne Blvd, Rolling Hills, CA 90274

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

Since opening business account with Chase, they routinely charge miscellaneous fees without my knowledge or permission. They literally charged me a fee called "CASH DEPOSIT IMMEDIATE" for making cash deposited available in my account. You can't make this up. I just was on the phone for 30 minutes trying to remove a MONTHLY SERVICE FEE and the rep said he couldn't and I said, "If you can't I will have to close my account". He said go ahead. Wish granted. Will bank with someone that respects their client's money. Customer beware.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Chase bank takes no responsibility for technical glitches. They allowed $12000 fraud to let it happen on my account. The merchant had my wrong billing address and I never expected the transaction to go through. It went through :( and customer service for Chase Sapphire reserve never resolved it even though I was on hold with them forever. They never reimbursed or agreed that it was a technical glitch on their end. BEWARE of this CARD!! They are not what you think..Let alone a premier card. Better get an AMEX or a CITI card for premium card services.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I accidentally sent $1,100 to the wrong recipient via Zelle from my Chase checking account. I immediately realized the mistake and called Chase. Chase told me NO ONE was available to assist me with my concern and I had to call back the following day. I called again and was informed that my issue needed to be taken up with Zelle not Chase. I went back and forth between Zelle and Chase over several calls each saying it was the other's problem not theirs. Finally, I had to say ENOUGH and it ended up falling on Chase and there was a whole department that I was transferred to where my claim sat for over 5 days and still had not been picked up to be looked at. I had to stop in to a different branch than where I opened my account because my branch said they could not help me.

Finally, my claim was picked up and Zelle attempted to retrieve the funds accidentally sent over a week later and lo and behold the recipient's bank now had insufficient funds to return my $1,100. I will never understand how Chase, the institution who is there to assist its customers with their money is so unavailable, confused, and unresponsive. I have had to file a lawsuit to try and get my money back from the recipient. If Chase would have acted timely this could of easily been resolved and I would not be out over a thousand dollars. Chase Bank does not care about their customers money and their customer service is below acceptable. I will be leaving for a local bank. I still can't believe how unresponsive Chase bank was with this transaction.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

BANKING SUPPORT - I Spoke To Ava ** and she was AMAZING!! I've been a Chase customer for 15+ years and on December 19, 2019 I had a seizure and was diagnosed with a very rare brain disease called Autoimmune Encephalitis. it affects your short term memory so almost every day is a "new day"! so basically I need help. I'm so grateful for how kind, considerate and helpful she was to me! Please recognize her for being so kind and helpful in resolving my questions. THANK YOU.

Chase Bank Company Information