3.14/5

Chase Bank

Chase has credit cards that can help you earn points on the things you love most, including travel. Read reviews for Chase Sapphire Preferred to learn about travel rewards.

Chase Gallery (6)
View More View More

3237 Chase Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I am a Chase Private Client with quite a bit in their bank. As such, I am supposed to get free wire transfers. When I tried to set up a wire transfer whether via the web or using the App, I kept getting the error "Something is wrong with the site". I tried for several weeks. The secure message support is a joke. Each time, at least 4 times. I reported it. All I got back is, "There is nothing wrong." Finally called the Private Client number. It took 3 tries to get proper help. After walking me through it, the lady says, "Oh, you cannot enter special characters." Three weeks of frustration because I had a dash (-) in a phone number! Nowhere on the site does it state no dashes or other characters allowed.

When I finally got that resolved and wanted to transfer $5000 to Thailand I received a quote which equated to about 30.8 Baht/dollar. I checked third party transfer companies like OFX and TransferWise and saw rates of 31.6 Baht/dollar. The true conversion rate on that date was 31.7. As such, looking at the difference it would cost me about $122 for my "FREE" wire transfer via Chase because of the conversion rate. I suppose my option now is to transfer dollars from Chase to a third party transfer company and then to Thailand. Since I will be transferring much more than $6000 the saving will be significant! Of course I cannot get an answer from Chase as to why their conversion rates are so out of touch with others.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I just had a pretty bad experience with Chase ATM. I am a Chase customer but I didn't use my Chase card but a different bank to withdraw cash from Chase ATM. After I entered all info and machine was processing my request for a few minutes, I got a receipt saying that they aren't able to give my money at this moment and I should call to Chase. At the same time, money I was requested to withdraw left my checking account. So I called Chase right away and after they found out that I used my non Chase card they told me to contact my bank and deal with them directly!!! Can you imagine, they took my money; they took $3 charge, I got nothing and now I have to deal with my bank to try to get my money back?!?! There was even no apology issued... Just unbelievable... I am not going to use Chase ATM ever again...

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have had Chase credit cards for about three years with no problem. Recently I made a purchase with a company called PantagesTheatre.org aka TicketTrackers.com. They charged me $299.15 for tickets that I never received. They sent a number of emails claiming an email with tickets was coming, but I never received it. I called customer service for this Internet company and they defended their actions, but it was clear that no tickets were coming and I had been scammed. I contacted Chase and disputed the transaction. They stated to document my contacts with the company and provide documentation which I did. To date I have sent them twenty plus pages of documents and emails.

I got a call today from Chase that the Internet company called them and stated that they sent the tickets, which is not true and the person at Chase told me to call the company (TicketTrackers.com) and request a refund. I tried to explain that I had contacted TicketTrackers.com with no success. The Chase person, just dismissed me and said there was nothing they could do and the charge stood. They also said a supervisor would call and none did. I don't think they even looked at my complaint and documents. I'm pretty sure TicketTrackers.com is a scam outfit because they refused to give me their physical address. My point is: Chase did not take my dispute seriously, I believe, because it was too complicated and they thought I would be intimidated into readily accepting their decision. They clearly sided with the merchants (or scammers, in this case) over me.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Not going to waste any more time with these clowns and tell you ever lousy interaction I had with this bank. I will say this, however - I just took a ding on my credit score just so I could close an account with these clowns even though it was $0 annual fee and no balance on it. I simply do not want to ever have to deal with Chase Bank or Chase Bank App or the Chase Bank Phone System or a Chase Bank Representative ever again. Good Riddance!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I received a notice that I had some pending transactions that would put my account in a negative balance. To avoid overdraft fees, I withdrew cash from my account from another bank and deposited it at 8:02 pm in an atm. According to the deposit slip I received my account was positive balance. The next morning I found out I was charged the overdraft fees because the deposit was not before 11 pm Eastern time when the account resets. Is this illegal? It seems like they do what they want to charge you fees too take your money. How is an institution that makes their money from using your money able to just take your money with this game. Is there no federal regulation against this? I'm not on the East Coast so if I work late how do I deposit money according to that time table.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I meet with Gawain ** who ask why I don't bank with Chase. I thought about it but the last two years being on S/S I was afraid to make a change even though I have been very unhappy with SunTrust charges. He talked me through how to do it and even gave me printed direction. Then told me I get $300 for doing a direct deposit. It was easy and painless experience! Thanks.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've been with Chase on my own account for 20-something years. I had my mom switch her account over to Chase because they were great about handling fraud items. My mom has a very small social security check and when we went to go withdraw the money to help her with rent there was almost nothing left. There were $500 in charges plus overdraft fees just in the past two weeks alone. They said that they could not reverse any of the charges or put fraudulent activity on it because it happened back in July and we never reported it. I told them that we never got a statement from my mom's account. And that those were such small amounts that we didn't notice. However we did notice the $500 out of her account for this month and several hundred out from last month. They will do nothing about it and all reps I talked to were so rude.

I told them that she was a senior citizen and that she would have no money to buy groceries or pay her rent and they were still rude. They said that even the $200 charge from in the summer that most likely it was going to be declined because we reported it late. Chase was always good about letting us know by calling Android texting when we had fraudulent activity on our accounts but when it came to my mom's account we got zip. I wish there was somebody higher up that we could go to to get my mom's money for her. Because I talked with three different people including supervisor and each one was Ruder than the last. So if any of you know someone I can contact to report this it would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've had several incidents where illegal purchases were made through my ATM. I was involved in the Govt breach, so don't blame Chase completely, BUT... On March 1, 2019, a person entered a branch in a different city and presented 2 withdrawal slips - 1 one for savings, one for checking - each for $950. My name was misspelled on both slips. The signature was obviously not mine. The thief wrote my SSN on the slips. The teller gave the thief $1,900 of my money without asking for identification, without comparing my signature to the signature card on file and without even noticing the incorrect spelling of my name. Blatant negligence in my opinion. It blows my mind that this was allowed to happen at a time when identity theft is at an all time high. JPMorgan Chase no longer gets to hold my money.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Chase literally restricted and are closing my account with no reason why. Just that they chose to end their relationship with me. I don't understand this reason and I am shocked. Of course it happens day before my paycheck is deposited and will have to wait until Tuesday to hopefully go to a branch to withdraw my funds.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I called Chase for fraud activity on my card. They help me out. Everything was fine. I'm not complaining what that or the service. I am mad because I spent over 45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to somebody so I tried calling for my fiancee's phone and they answered right away. I am so pissed off they wasted an hour of my night. Why would you answer a new call before answering an old one on hold? This is beyond unprofessional And everything else I want to say I can't say it on here.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Went into the Branch in Ronkonkoma near Wendy’s to close one of my accounts yesterday. Asked the rude young man if my monthly fee can be returned. You know the fee they charge you every month if you fall below a certain amount of money. He said, “Sorry no. You already had refund in past.” Ok then I ask to withdraw money from one of my other accounts. He said, “You can go do it at teller.” Other branches I went into usually get your money for you. They do the withdrawal for you then bring you the money to their desk. I will never go to that branch again. They need to teach their workers people skills. If you don’t know how to act like a human then you should not be working in a bank or any job where you have to deal with the public.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I went to a Chase Bank and used their ATM outside. It seemed the transaction was going fine. I could hear the cash being dropped but the door did not open to give me the cash. I waited a while and the door never opened. I went into the bank to try to get the cash and they said they could not help me that they don't have anything to do with the ATM. They said I would have to file a complaint with my bank. The money did come out of my account and now I have to wait until next week to see if the funds go back into my account once they reconcile the machine. I was very disappointed with the lack of care the employees showed on my dilemma. They were friendly but did not care. I have a credit card with Chase that I will be closing if they do not make the situation right.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The worst online web site ever. First - NO email address available. Their call-in service is even worse. They only reply using Chase required answers. Setting up online service is horrible. You can't really set up a password that is strong because of their predetermined parameters like very limited special characters offered. Minimum and maximum letters numbers and characters. No face ID. Geeez! Oh I can't use the exclamation point!!! You would think that they would offer all of the parameters like ALL other financial sites.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

An unauthorized charge - (auto debit) was taken from my account. I spoke with the company that authorized the funds, they said they needed CHASE to contact them so they could start a fraud investigation as I have no relationship with this company. I called CHASE back, they refused to send a letter, email, or phone call to acknowledging the fraudulent activity - I am closing all of my accounts with CHASE.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Deposited an adoption check from the state Saturday February 23rd. They gave me 200$ of the $600. Now I find out I can't get the rest until Tue the 26th. It's a government check and my money. What's the problem?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Called to re-route funds from a direct deposit sent to a closed account and after being transferred to a specialist they stated they could not find my information, to call back with the right information. The previous representative was able to find my information and I was kept on wait for a long period of time so that the previous rep could pass on my information to begin with. Horrible customer service and representatives barely spoke English. Closing this account was the best choice I could have made.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I called Chase to ask if I was going to be charge for using my debit card to pay another institution to pay off a loan. They told me no. Then they said that the amount that I'm trying to pay is far exceed the daily use. So they transferred me to the Fraud department for an approval to increase my daily use to 3,000 k. I ask again, will there a fee to use my debit card to pay off my loan at another institution. Again, the fraud department told me no. After I paid my loan off with my debit, I was charged $369 for ATM fees. They basically lied to me or scammed me to use the card then charged me behind my back. I've been with 5 different reps to get this reverse and have not gotten nowhere with them. I hope corporate helps me out!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I booked a flight using Chase Travel and had the worst experience of my life. I was emailed that my return flight was canceled and I responded multiple times to select the new flight option from the ones they provided and never heard back. I then called them only to be on the phone and constantly put on hold for OVER THREE HOURS. Anytime I asked what was going on the representative would tell me she's "researching" and give me no detail of what was going on or how long it would take. She was rude to me and continually asked if I would be okay with a 3-5 minute hold, and then put me on hold for 15-30 minutes. I would rather pay full price than deal with these disrespectful people again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I was getting gift cards for my coworkers as a thank you for the amazing job they did and I told this to Chase Bank so they would have a heads up. As I'm purchasing the cards they stopped the card from going through. Sent me a text and asked if it was ok. I replied yes. They sent the text again. I said yes, then they shut the card down.

To my surprise when I called to ask about this they told me that all of my cards were shut down and that my accounts were under review but the hold will be lifted within a few days. So I called back at the beginning of the following week and they were very rude to me and told me that the credit card accounts (4 of them) were shut down (2 not even used) and they are not going to reopen them. When I asked why they told me that they could not tell me over the phone and that I would have to wait 7-10 business days for my answer. That is absolutely horrible customer service! They held my money hostage and then just shut it down without my knowledge. Clearly being a customer for over 10 years meant nothing to them. Don't waste your time here. They won't care anyways.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I’ve been paying off a Chase line of credit that was associated with a closed checking account. I pay through my current bank. I called Chase to find out what is left to pay. They can’t find the account and they say I didn’t have it! I was bounced around from department to department and finally they told me to call my CURRENT bank and get the phone number off the draft! I did so and there is no phone number! Now I know why I am no longer with Chase. One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got an offer in the mail about opening a Chase checking and savings account. I went to their website to open it and filled out the application. I received a letter in the mail saying my application was denied since they couldn't verify my identity. This was very strange since I'm an existing customer and have several of their credit cards and have leased several cars through them. Instead of asking for additional info. to verify my identity, the application was outright denied. The letter also said my Experian credit score was 800 at the time of the application which was incorrect. It was in the low 830's since I'm able to access my credit scores from all 3 credit agencies and I am well aware of what my scores are.

Chase relies solely on an Experian credit report but doesn't check their own records. If they had, they would have known I had been a customer of theirs for over 10 years. Also, if they couldn't verify my identity, why would they be looking at my credit score?? If you can't verify someone's identity, the Social Security number provided should have been considered invalid as well.

I had to make a visit to a local branch to open the accounts. The representative mentioned I would receive a few starter checks but I was never given any. He never mentioned how I would be receiving them...in the mail or otherwise. I wrote a personal check for the opening deposits. I was told there would be a hold on the check. I was never told how long the hold would be. After I got home and reviewed everything, I realized the funds wouldn't be available until 2/28. This is a ridiculously long time since the check was drawn from my local bank. The check was written on 2/16. Not sure how long a foreign check would be held, maybe a month?? An existing customer should not have to wait a week and a half to access their funds. Chase should stick with loans and credit cards since I haven't had any issues with those.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I went to the atm to discover my pin was suddenly invalid. I call the bank to find out why and they tell me that they don’t know why and there’s nothing they can do about it. They refused to reset the pin because I moved in the last 30 days. I was told to go to a branch IN ANOTHER STATE to clear up the situation because there are no branches near my home. No explanation as to why or who made changes to my account. Don’t do business here!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I deposited a check from a family member into my CHASE checking account. The check was made out to cash. Chase cleared it after a couple of days, but when I went to make a purchase it said declined. It happened at 2 other stores. I thought the chip was malfunctioning. When I went to CHASE, turns out they closed the account. They said they didn't have to give me a reason and could close the account. After a while they said it was because they couldn't verify the check. They didn't even call the bank where the check was issued from. They just closed my account with no warning. I had to reopen a new account and they still won't give me the money for another 3 business days. I need a lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We went to a branch on Friday to deposit my fiancée's paycheck. The staff at the branch was very kind and everything was handled quickly. However, when the check cleared, it was for $217 instead of $2,170. In and of itself, that's not the end of the world as mistakes happen (though a very distressing mistake, to be sure). She immediately called customer service to report the issue. The person on the phone was not very nice and while she did help with the issue at hand, I wouldn't call her exactly helpful. Perhaps the biggest problem is that they aren't going to credit her account until Thursday at the earliest. They made a mistake and aren't able to deal with it quickly.

As my fiancée lives paycheck to paycheck, she's can't support herself for a whole week while Chase does nothing about their mistake, but Chase doesn't care about that. They don't care about their customers. We had had a fantastic day and then it suddenly came crashing to a halt all because of Chase Bank. I had been considering opening my own accounts with them to facilitate consolidation with my fiancée, but that's definitely not happening, now. We've had to cancel appointments for the week that were necessary because she's not going to be able to pay the costs. Chase is holding her $2,000 hostage because of a mistake that *they* made. Customer service, that is not.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Chase closed my business account without warning, when asked why they said that they sent me a letter in the mail and due to a lack of response, they closed the account. I asked why wasn't I called. The person then explained that by law they are required to send out one letter and that as a business I am responsible for my account. There is a lot wrong with that since I had no way of knowing of the situation that I am supposedly should be responsible for. This happened to a few other people I know. After this review I am definitely contacting a lawyer. I have not been able to receive funds because of this. Chase this is not acceptable!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have banked with Chase Bank in Indialantic FL for over 9 years. I have both a personal account and a business account. My wife deposited a check sent to her from the executor of her parent's estate after her father's passing. The check funds cleared from the originating bank on 1/31/2019 Chase Fraud division (Donald **) froze all our funds even my other deposits including my paycheck from the Federal Govt. We were never notified of the account being frozen. We do electronic banking with Chase and we had been trying to pay bills online. We could not understand why our scheduled payments and electronic payments would not process, There was no notice online of why, there was no phone call from Chase, to date 2/12/2019 we still have not been informed in writing.

Chase stated they sent a letter to us in the mail 1/31/2019... Still no letter. When I could not transfer funds to make a quarterly Tax payment I went to my bank branch 2/8/2019 Friday. The local branch Mgr Tom ** could not tell me what was going on till he placed a phone call to Texas. Long story shortened the Texas fraud group said I had to prove where the funds came from even though Chase had had the funds since 1/31/2019. I returned home and brought the legal documents provided to my wife from the attorneys.

Donald ** stated he would not accept these documents and accused me of forging them! I placed calls to the executive offices and filed a complaint without any response. We contacted the originating bank Delmarva Bank and they stated that the funds had transferred to Chase on 1/31/2019 and as of Monday 2/11/2019 no one from Chase Bank had called Delmarva Bank to check if the account was fraudulent or not. We finally convinced Chase that we had not defrauded them and the funds did legally belong to us. They then informed us that it would take up to 5 business days to return our money and unfreeze our accounts. PLEASE DO USE CHASE BANK.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Filed a dispute several months ago of an unauthorized withdraw, it was credited pending review. Several weeks later, it was reversed and caused a mess in my account. Their reason was they found same merchant that I supposedly authorized account several months back. How do you even know if I missed it and that needed to be included. It's clear that there is fraudulent activity in my account. Instead of taking care of their customers, calling to clarify what they reviewed and found, Chase finds ways in denying, rejecting, reversing, your money. Chase do not take care of their customer, rather they nickel and dime them!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I scheduled a wire transfer on Chase's mobile app. A couple of days later it still said pending. I walk into a branch and ask why. They call the headquarters and start asking me all kinds of crazy questions like: Why am I sending money, how do I know the person I'm sending the money to. I told them it was none of their business and they said that without that info they can't transfer MY MONEY!!! Needless to say I took out all my money and closed the account. I really can't believe they want to know why I'm transferring money.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had unfortunately been scammed from two men in Europe posing on the freelance website Upwork as a startup company. I am a freelancer, so it was normal for me to take and work virtually. I was under the impression I was doing my job and getting paid properly for my work, until I went to use my account to pay a bill and it was frozen. I was so perplexed, I was just at my bank in person minutes ago, confirming my withdraw and making sure all was well. I immediately contacted my "boss" about the issue, he seemed to be trying to help, then I called the bank once I realized I was surely scammed.

Thankfully I kept every piece of document I had and I have full on proof of the incident, however, I didn't find any help at all with Chase. They just kept telling me that it would be bad for me, when I in fact was a victim myself and reported the issues the second I realized something wasn't right and others were being scammed with me. I begged for months to send over every document I had. They told me they didn't need it and proceeded to send me letters with the large balance myself and others were scammed out of.

I called again, the next person seemed helpful but also told me to wait until I heard back from Chase, take no action. My biggest fear with a perfect record both with the law and banks, was to be in big trouble for this scam and to also have it affect my credit, also not be able to recover my personal funds that were frozen as well. I got a letter (which I kept), stating this issue was solved and my account was back in good standing. I cried tears of joy that it worked out as I had never dealt with anything like this.

A month or more later, I get a letter telling me that I owe a large sum. So I naturally call, tell them about the reports, the several people I've spoken with, the letter that all was clear, etc. They give me a place to send all of my proof and documents. At this point I don't know what to believe anymore and am just sitting on all of my proof, afraid every day something else will occur. I just want real help. Here we are in February, this is now 9 months later, and I get a letter apologizing for never notifying me that my Status hasn't changed and I'll never get my account back.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I fear I will send off all of this info and never hear a thing back. A simple investigation would have easily shown that I had zero connection to the fraud and was in fact a victim myself, trying to make sense of it all. I work so hard to do well and be a good citizen, something like this shouldn't loom over me every single day. So Chase, I don't care about the account being closed, good riddance. Those people can't scam me anymore, but I would love to actually have proper help and answers.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I open a Sapphire Checking account with them upon promise of 60k Ultimate Reward points. That did not happen after 3 months. I notified them and they acknowledge mistake. However, to my surprise, instead of seeing the long overdue points right into my account, I waited for one month and still waiting for your super long procedure to correct this. I wonder if I can do the same thing without penalty if I owe them money. That is not the first mistake happen. Few months back, I was charged in my checking account a fee that should not be charged.

Chase Bank Company Information