BB&T

98%

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,190people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with BB&T:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I've banked with BB&T for years and lately I have gotten nothing but problems from them and to top things today was my first time depositing a check via mobile app. It's Friday and it's telling me my funds won't clear until Tuesday and I could have taken it to an ATM and had my funds first thing tomorrow. This is truly an inconvenience. How is this mobile app suppose to make life more simple and easier when their holding funds for so long. Clearly other bank facilities release part of the funds the same day with the mobile deposit but BB&T does none and it waits until after you've submitted to tell you the release date. I will be leaving to go to another bank because this is ridiculous.

My husband & I have a account with BB&T in Maryland. We woke up today in disbelief our account was $300 negative which was not possible!! We've never had a negative and watch our account everyday and get email updates. Long story short they told us transactions made from the 15th-17th are just now coming out over a week later!! When we made those transactions they came out of the account so where is my money at!!! We called supervisors and they HUNG up on us! Over $500 is missing and nobody is explaining!! Closing account today!

I contacted BB&T to inquire about getting my PMI insurance discontinued. I was told by the agent that I was only 4000.00 away from the 80% required to have it removed. I was sent the information on how to do this. I paid them to have the appraisal done. It came in at 79.4%. They sent me a letter stating "It had to be at 75% and we're not going to remove it." I explained that I only went through the process and paid the fee because the agent told me it was only 4000.00. I felt they should refund me the amount I paid to have the appraisal. After about two weeks I received a call from them stating that they would not refund me because in the info I was sent, it stated that if the loan was less than 5 years, it would be 75%. Yes, I should have read more of the small print and had a lawyer look it over, but the point is, the agent gave me bad info and they admitted that. They are the experts, not me.

They were unwilling to back up what their agents tell you. This is just a poor way to treat your account holders. I even explained that I would be refinancing and taking my mortgage elsewhere and they did not really care. The 150.00 appraisal fee was more important that well over $50000 in interest they would be getting over the life of the loan. So not only do they not care about their employees, customers, but whoever made this bonehead decision is not looking out for the best interest of the company. Is 150.00 worth $50000. Hmmm...

BB&T is the worst bank. I pay my bills. I have money in my account. The bill being paid is trying to come out and then they charge me 30 dollars for a return fee. Every month they do this. They are stealing and lying all the time.

I opened a checking account a little over a month ago and finally set up direct deposit. Receiving my first deposit today (September 8, 2016). After speaking with a customer service representative verifying that they had my correct address to mail me my bank card and also to reassure I could get a temporary card at my nearest branch until I would receive my permanent card. Feeling confident I would receive a temp card as well as make a withdrawal of 50$ from my account while in my nearest branch. That is not what I experienced at all.

After speaking with the teller and providing my valid Texas ID she made me aware that I would need to sit down with Stan the bank representative to get a temporary card, that she was unable to do so. As soon as he saw me I could see in his face that he was judging me immediately. Maybe my tattoos intimidated him, not sure. But I immediately felt uncomfortable. He goes on to pull up my account and I verify my information to a "T". He begins to question me about my ID saying that the ID number does not match what's on file. I begin to explain it's because that is my DL number which I verified without even seeing it. He then says what's the difference?? And I respond a driver’s license is for driving and your ID is for identification. He becomes more suspicious. Calls customer service and ask if he can issue a temporary ID and for whatever reason he made up I would have to come back tomorrow to get one.

The lack of eye contact and body language said enough. I still kept my composure. I'm now back with the teller getting my receipt and withdrawal I never received initially when I walked in the bank from Aisha. Stan is now calling me back to his desk to sign a document to protect my identity because I initially opened my account online, which is fine. But I knew that wasn't his genuine intent. I leave the branch. Feeling uncomfortable I call customer service to have reassurance everything that transpired was routine. She then advised me signing the document was but I shouldn't have had a problem with using a ID instead of my DL . As long as it was valid with a picture.

No more than 30-45 minutes later I received a call from Stan. The number is not saved and it is a local area code so I don't think much of it. But I didn't expect it to be Stan. I disconnect the call... I'm now trying to calm down because I knew the entire time I was in the branch Stan was judging me and literally did not believe I was who I was saying I was. Even though having valid proof. Yet still keeping my composure. I honestly was shocked that this man called my phone even after the fact, with that even more awkward conversation. I call back 10-15 minutes later and speak with the branch manager Ashley who made up at least 4 reasons why they took so much precaution for me to simply get a temporary card and withdrawal 50$.

1. My ID number didn't match my dl number (but they never asked for my DL to even verify).
2. They've been having a lot of fraud going on (but two other Caucasians walked in and made withdrawals with no issue).
3. They've never seen me at their branch (absolutely ridiculous, I guess new customers aren't welcome).

4. My account was opened 60 days ago and I never made a deposit (didn't know there was a timeframe to do as I please with my income), etc etc.

I've already called corporate and filed a complaint and definitely will take further action. My experience was superficial & racial bias. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. You would have thought I was attempting to withdrawal thousands of dollars. And it was for a 50$ withdrawal and a temporary Debit card. The only person I spoke with that was genuine was Gina at corporate and hearing my experience I could hear in her voice how shocked she was. And even starting I shouldn't have had a issue with my valid TX ID. I wouldn't recommend this bank to my worst enemy. I will be withdrawing my funds and closing the account. I must add my direct deposit was from State Farm, my employer, a nationwide company. That is beyond easily verifiable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

NEVER EVER DEAL WITH THIS BANK! WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER!!! BB&T bank is the worst bank I have ever worked with in my life. I would never recommend to anyone to waste their time and do any business with BB&T. I was a client of CitiBank and after BB&T acquired Citi in Dallas, I automatically became a client of this low grade bank. I have a startup company and just recently I was charged $720 in overdraft fees for processing 2 (TWO) dollars!

Our developer was testing our software using our BB&T debit card by making 10 cents transactions, and for some reason we didn't know that there was no money on our card, so BB&T charged us $720 fees just for processing $2!!! Most banks (best practices) at least have a limit on number of overdraft fees that they can charge per day, BB&T charged us 17 times in one hour! Most banks will send you SMS when there is no money on your account, BB&T will never do that, because the way they make money is NOT by creating added value and serving their clients by providing new, innovative services etc, but just by robbing their clients in hidden fees and by using poor practices and after they'll just refer you to their stupid policies; this is the most mediocre bank with incompetent staff working there. It looks like worst performers that were fired by all other banks are working at BB&T.

I was so disappointed and I couldn't sleep for 7 days because of this situation. I almost lost my business because I planned to pay those $720 fees for our hosting facility fees and this bank just took those money from our account as overdraft fees. I called branch and as always they were useless, so I called to Chairman Line that branch manager gave me (their phone number is 336.733.2000) and I got same lame, mediocre response "because of our policies, there is nothing that we can do". They don't care about their clients and their feedback.

I paid over $5,000 in fees to this bank for the past few years, because we were sending a lot of wires etc, and now this is the way how they treated me. BB&T's reviews all over the internet are less than 1 star and their management and CEO doesn't give a ** about it! How their CEO even has this job?!! That guy is useless, he is so busy that he can't go and read reviews of his bank, he doesn't realize that he and his team are making their salaries because of their clients that are posting reviews on sites like this one, and they don't care about it.

This bank is the worst thing that ever happened to me as a startup founder, and I would NEVER recommend to anyone to spend even one minute to deal with BB&T. Everything about this bank is HORRIBLE, mediocre and substandard: their customer support sucks, sometimes they won't even respond to your emails, because they know that nothing will happen to them, because there is no performance review or controlling procedures. Everything is so complicated, dumb and unsatisfactory. Please don't make same mistake dealing with this low-grade, beneath standard bank.

I wish I had known what a terrible terrible company this is!!! We financed our load w/ what we thought was a reputable company only to have it close and our loan was sold to BB&T. They have done NOTHING but steal money from us!!! They bought us insurance even when we already had insurance. And then refused to give it back stating it's no longer in our account. However they can't seem to find the missing money of $1500.00 either!!! They raise our payment yearly "due to change in escrow" BUT no matter when we call our escrow is always in the negative!!! ALWAYS!!! This company is stealing hard working people's money everyday!!

I just called and my balance according to the automatic line is in excess of $3500. However when I spoke w/ an account manager once again our escrow account has a "negative balance". Really??? She did offer to "change the payment". Uhhh nooo thanks!!! I got a pay off balance today and will seek another institution for financing. This is the last year they will STEAL our money. Thieves!!! Please do NOT FINANCE WITH THEM!! Leave from us so that our situation can help at least one person!!!

I have been a Financial Adviser and a Banker for 20 years and I have worked for Wachovia, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo. A year ago I purchased a new house with a cash transaction. After I closed on the house with a cash purchase, I decided to obtain a home equity line so I can have access to the equity. At that time BB&T had a promotion on Equity lines and the rate offered was significantly lower than Wells Fargo's. The house appraised $750,000 and I obtained a line for $250,000. I had purchased a homeowner's insurance policy and a flood policy. I noticed BB&T has an insurance department and they tried to sell me insurance (cross-selling), but I used my agent.

On the 2nd year, I realized that FEMA has updated the flood map and my house was now on a "gray" area. I appealed to FEMA and did not renew the flood policy. I informed BB&T of my appeal. I received soon after a letter from BB&T notifying me that they purchase a flood policy on my behalf unless they receive proof from FEMA that the house is no longer in a flood zone. I contacted them and asked for a little more time since FEMA is very slow acting organization. They said OK, but they forced a policy on me anyway. The cost of that policy is $4,500!

When I found out, I immediately contacted my agent and obtained a new flood at a cost of $368 for the year. BB&T charged a policy with a 1,222% markup. They are basically crooks forcing policies on their clients with an astronomical markup. When they received proof of my flood coverage they were forced to drop their flood policy, but they now insist that I owe them $800 for the past month (July). They even commingled that amount with the monthly premium so I will not be able to see it as a separate expense. They are very unethical and sneaky. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BB&T.

We opened 4 account in June in Lakeland, Florida. I had a personal account and a joint business account and my husband also had a personal and business account (4 altogether). Alisha was the person who helped me open my account because she helped my husband open his 2 accounts. So, when we had to add my husband to the business acct since he wasn't available to come with me at the time, she wouldn't add him, she had to come to our place of business to add him which seemed odd. Well, it was because she needed my approval to add him (still no bells at this time). Well, this woman is something else. I am going make this short because it's a long story.

After adding him to the acct she never ordered his debit card so after a couple of weeks with no debit card, he went into the branch and spoke to Samuel who said he didn't see where a debit card was requested so he took off that for him. And then my husband had issues linking his personal with the business account like I could. We went into different branches and asked about how to get it taken care of and each time we were told they would put in a request to allow him to link the accounts. After a month we go back to our branch and speak to Katie. She finally advised he couldn't link them but he could because Alisha opened the business account using my social security number. I said that shouldn't be like that it should have been opened under the FEIN.

I go on a 10 day vacation and while I'm away my husband goes back in to talk to Katie and tell her that we have to open another business account the correct way and he was informed that the bank was closing ALL 4 accounts. That he would receive a letter and he has 10 days after receiving the letter to either come get the money left in the account or he will receive a check.

I get a text from my husband saying BB&T is closing all of our accounts. I am like "what?" When I call Katie, she trying to be all professional not friendly like was in the past. I said to her, "my husband text me and said you were closing our accounts and asked her why." Her response was she's not getting in the middle of it and our accounts are closing. I asked her "in the middle of what?" She wouldn't answer me. She just said the bank decided to close our accounts and they didn't want to "deal with people like us". WTF? I said "I am out of the country, I get a text from my husband saying you're closing my account and you can't give me a reason?" No, she couldn't. Why? Because they screwed up and didn't want to have to fix it or admit to it.

We had just opened our accounts there, no overdrafts, had what we thought a great relationship since we went in there everyday to make deposits, only to be treated like the plague, literally. I even called the customer service number and from what that CSR said they wouldn't give her any info either. I am so bewildered at why they just decided to up and close all 4 of our accounts. But after reading all the comments below, I can see they are unethical place to work with. So, now I don't want to do business with a bank that has no business dealing the public.

For those of you who want to take it further, you can write the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Reserve. I would definitely write the Federal Reserve if you are deputing money issues, they are very good about following up and investigating the issue. I give BB&T ZERO STARS and the razzy award for being the worst bank of all time.

When BBT sends you a new credit card, make sure you download the transactions from the old CC before installing the new one. That is "IF" you want to EXPORT the file to a spreadsheet for manipulation. BBT claims they can only send the old CC file in PDF form. That means YOU have to ITEMIZE each line on a Statement in PDF Form and add and subtract the TOTALS, a two step process through pages of charges (if you use the CC often). I asked if they could load the old CC card into my account file (a day or so) so I could import the file to a spreadsheet. Nope, no can do. The old CC transactions were only one year old.

I was a client at National Penn Bank, where I was totally satisfied for 25 years. BB&T buys them out, and my life has become a nightmare. I moved shortly before the takeover. I had successfully changed my address at National Penn Bank. However, BB&T must have pulled records way before the merge was "official." Consequently BB&T mailed all the start up info, documents, cards, etc. to the old address. Guess what? The new document envelopes read NOT to forward, so all this info (and debit card) was returned to BB&T. Now I don't know I am missing this info because they sure don't contact you to let you know the documents have been returned. Next thing I know, I can't access my money. I lost over an hour of pay to go to the branch nearby me at work. The representative gave me a temporary card and assured me she would get back to me THAT DAY with explanations and would get a "real" card out to me ASAP. Of course, she never called back.

I called back 3 business days later. Her excuse was that they were busy. It took hours to get the situation resolved. Last week I tried to make a purchase online, and my debit card was rejected. I called the same branch of the bank and they assured me everything was fine. I was indeed able to make a couple purchases over the next 2 days. Then on the third day, my card is rejected and I am stranded trying to make a purchase. I called the 800 number and eventually a rep tells me my card has a "systematic block." I asked her to explain, and she couldn't. I asked to speak to a manager, and she refused.

There is plenty of money in the account. There is no message in my online account. And once again I am left with NO ACCESS TO MY MONEY. No one apologizes. I call and am told I probably used the wrong zip code to make my purchase. I never even had to enter a zip code! I tried two separate ATM machines on the way home, and they also will not dispense any money. But again I am told, everything is fine, probably just a glitch. I plan on moving my accounts. BB&T has BLATANT disregard for their customers.

My BB&T card expires on Aug. 31 of this year. I called last week to make sure they had ordered a new card to be sent to me and the woman I spoke with claimed she had no clue when it would be sent out because it wasn't in the system yet. She also told me that when the card is about to expire, BB&T will automatically send out a new card before the month is over so that customers won't have to go without a card after it expires while waiting for the new card.

I then still did not receive anything in the mail and I called this morning. The woman I spoke with concluded that they had not scheduled a card to be sent to me at all yet. I asked her why it wasn't automatically renewing and she did not know. She said that she would send out a card today, but it would take 7-10 business days to get to my mailbox. Meanwhile, I would not have a card after two days until the new card arrived, since it was expiring. She informed me that I could go get a temporary card at a local BB&T.

Although, I will have to go to a BB&T today and take time out of work to do so, I will not have to go without a debit card which is good news. However, the fact that I have to go do extra work to secure a temporary card and that BB&T forgot about mailing me a new one that I could get in the mail before my older card expired seems like an unnecessary aggravation. I expect my bank to work with me and send items out in a prompt timely manner and I am disappointed in BB&T in this situation.

After having ALL of our financial documents for over 4 weeks, we changed from a construction loan to a 30 year fixed loan. I am the realtor and the client, so I deal with mortgage companies every day. After another 4 weeks, it was time to close. Our information had not yet been sent to underwriting. Once it was submitted, to the underwriter in North Carolina, it was in what seemed to be a black hole. We weren't getting updates. Just a ho-hum, 'We're still waiting". Everyday waiting for a loan to close and move into our new house.

When loan companies have processors & underwriting in different states, they basically have their hands tied. Only use loan companies with "in house" processing! After a voice message and a text to ask status, we still had no information. I called the branch VP and asked him to look into the situation. He said he would call me back after he looked into the situation. He never called me back. Our loan officer called, left a nasty message saying "I don't know what you think you would accomplish by calling him, but it will do you no good." She chuckled 3 times on the message and had a condescending tone throughout the message.

We also plan to get a HELOC loan but there is no way they will get any business from us. Also, as an agent who recommends lenders everyday, I will never recommend them. We went with them due to a low interest rate offered, but a low rate is not worth bad customer service. We are well qualified for this loan and have an excellent credit rating, so this is in no way is a reflection of not being a good candidate for a loan. Go ANYWHERE else!

DO NOT EVER BANK WITH BB&T. PLEASE READ ALL OF THE BAD COMMENTS PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT THEM. I AM SURE THEY ARE TRUE... I have been with BB&T over the past 15 years. I used to love them and now I despise them. These people are liars and they are so greedy. In May 2016, I deposited a check on a Friday. It was supposed to be there Saturday. It wasn't and to my delight (sarcasm) my account was overdrawn. I flew over to the bank on Saturday, extremely upset, and was told that I was one of "several" customers whose check wasn't scanned through the night before. This was at noon on Saturday so I was told "Wait until 3pm today and we will fix everything."

First of all, that's MY money, which should have been returned immediately. So my check comes through, minus the pending overdraft charges... Which I was told FOR FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT, "We can't do anything about returning the over drafted items until everything posts." By the time things were fixed, I sat for a week without money and bills were late in being paid. I called the corporate office and the gentleman I spoke to belittled me and said it wasn't his fault I didn't know how to manage my money. Oh really? Because your institution admitted they screwed up my check being deposited. So how is that my fault. We argued for almost 20 minutes and even after almost TWO WEEKS of waiting, I never recovered all overdraft fees. That's BS.

BB&T DOES NOT HONOR POSTDATED CHECKS!! A check I postdated for August 22, 2016, was cashed on Friday. Guess what!!! My account is overdrawn. Imagine that. I just called and BB&T said they don't honor postdated checks which is because they used to. BB&T will get over on you and not give two hoots. They are liars and will have every excuse in the book, so be ready folks. I have had fraudulent charges three times in the last five years and each time, have had to close down an account and open up a new one. Please, save yourself the hassle and frustrations. I sincerely mean it... DO NOT BANK WITH BBT. They steal your money, make up rules, are rude and I wish they could be closed down. Read very carefully all of the reviews!! People aren't just blowing smoke and I will be closing out my account this Friday. Good riddance BB&T.

I went to the branch in 3100 lantana road Florida. The clerk is a liar. BB&T is the most unreliable bank, crook, not trusted bank I would refer anyone over. They always mess it up with my money. I deposited a check the clerk state your money should be clear in 2 days. In two days I check my account there was no money. I went to the clerk name ** she is the one that deposit the check. She said, "Oh there is a hold until next week"; she lie to me. She did not care about my need. She said speak with my manager there is nothing I can do about that. Everyone else said the manager is too busy to speak to you today; you are going to be waiting a long time. Until I started to get mad the manager came, "Oh sorry there is nothing I can do."

I initially got my mortgage loan through my local first security bank whom I have been with over 13 years and truly love them. But as most banks do they sold my loan off to BB&T Mortgage. I have been mailing checks to the same post office box for several years. During a rough patch I missed a mortgage payment. Probably making it up on the next month. Then making another substantial payment the following month. Just about the time I was going to call them and ask them why checks are not clearing I was stunned to find a pre foreclosure notice taped to my front door coming home from work.

Upon contacting them customer service probably ask me "where did you get that post office box address from because it does not belong to us." Shock I said "are you kidding me." Please remember that I have been mailing checks to this post office box for almost two years to be told that it doesn't exist 8 years later. I have own 2 houses and never had a problem ever with my mortgage until this one. Besides there's many astronomical fees for supposedly not sending payments which I always do in a traceable envelope just so that I know it got there.

BB&T mortgages also charging me what they refer to as a reinstatement fee which is almost $3,000 and it has refused to accept any of my mortgage payments unless I pay the reinstatement fee and the mortgage all at once for the single mom who raised two kids with almost no Financial or emotional support. I have worked too long and too hard to have my house taken from me by some shady company who tells me 8 years into a loan that suddenly now I don't know the post office box I should be mailing my checks doesn't exist and I can clearly to the simplest search find out that it is.

I contacted my local bank today and an advisement on how to handle the situation. When I told them what they were doing they were stunned because not only have they handled my first mortgage, handle my second mortgage and they handled this one except in this case BB&T Mortgage bought my loan. I will tell you this much. My bank was stunned at the amount for what they have never heard of as a reinstatement fee on top of all the other fees they were charging.

Just as a warning lots of banks sell off your mortgage. When you do your home loan do your homework, read the reviews and never ever allow your mortgage to be sold off to BB&T Mortgage. They are liars with double talk, with a thug like mentality either one to get more money out of you or assume to steal your home. I wish I had read the reviews on BBT before First Security allow them to purchase my loan. If I had I would have never allowed it. And upon rereading reviews from everything from their banking services to loans this company is filled with monsters who I wonder how can they sleep at night.

I've been banking with BB&T since 1995 when they bought over First VA. Bank, unfortunately I'm still have to bank with them now due to a clause that if you have a loan with them you have to maintain an open account. when things goes well, they are an average bank, when you run into any problems, they are the worst bank to deal with, they will run you around and will try to weasel their way out of their own mistakes and will try to rip you off in any way they can I know since I've been banking with them over 20 yrs, I have to just maintain an open account till the end of my loan but any other banks are way way better. BTW this is the first time I have ever complaint about any company, I'm a Doctor with 4 children, I do not have time to complain about businesses but I felt the need to warn others of what they're what they are getting into.

Do not even think about banking with BB&T! They are thieves and not honest. I didn't even bank with them a whole year before leaving. I went in to close my account and they told me it was fine. After checking to make sure everything went fine, they told me they messed up and wanted more money to fix their mistake. They will never see another penny from me. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

I have a equity line of credit with the Susquehanna Bank which was bought out by these people. Had for 2 1/2 years with Susquehanna never a late payment with them or with BB&T. Now all the sudden they write me a letter that says..."This is to advise you that we have suspended your ability to obtain advances on your line of credit. We have taken this action because we REASONABLY BELIEVE you will not be able to meet your repayment requirements." First of all Mr BB&T, my payments every month for $100.00 are taken out of my account automatically on the 17th of each month. Never any issues, never any late payments...who are you to say I can't afford it. Well I think it's time to move on. There are 2 other banks in town that will be glad to my business. So farewell to the hillbillies down north Carolina.

I agree that BB&T is not a good bank to use. I recently moved here to Georgia. I opened a bank account online, and I went into the branch here in Georgia to make a deposit. I was approved online and they kept taking my money that I was depositing into both a checking and savings account. Then, all of a sudden I was blocked out of my online account, and when I received my debit card I was blocked from activating it. Check this out, but, they kept right on taking my money. They were practically accusing me of committing fraud when I had my money transferred to their bank from another bank, because the previous bank does not have a branch out here in this part of Georgia. They blocked me from being able to access my own money. The money is my school money.

They were asking me where did I get the money from like I was being fraudulent. I had all the necessary documents that they told me to bring in as proof of my address and previous bank information from where the money came from, and the name of the bank that did the transfer was on the account. The vice-president lied and said that the name of the bank that did the transfer was not on the account. She lied!!! Before they blocked me from accessing my account I checked to see if the money transfer was completed, and the name of the bank was on the transfer transaction. I would tell anyone to run for the hills as fast as you can and do not do any business with this bank because they discriminate. It took me a couple of days to get my money back. I felt discriminated against and I told them so.

I had been watching my account very closely waiting for a check to clear. It never showed it cleared online and my payday was here so I was ok. But after work after hours and after I deposited my check I looked at my online statements and noticed it changed and now a few days of checking data had been erased. I knew it was fishy but I knew I had the money in before the check cleared and I should have been fine. Woke up next morning I had an overdraft fee and it said the check cleared a few days before. They changed the time to favor themselves and made profit. So I never had a negative balance but the got me with the fee.

I've had nothing but problems with BB&T. They 'go rogue' with your money and don't communicate at all. I will NEVER do business or allow anyone I care about to do business with them again.

I have a big problem and nobody help me!!! I am calling but they just transfer to another person and there is no solution. I just want to use my card which is my money inside. I am in out of US and my card is does not work. I need my money!!! Pls contact to me **.

Just like everyone else I'm disgusted by BB&T policy on overdrafts charges and fees. Not worth sharing my bad experience with this bank, honestly just stay away from this bank. They are nothing but legal thefts. Don't believe it? Soon or later it WILL happen to you.

I find this bank to be dishonest and incompetent. From drunk banker handling my accounts, to late fees that should never be there. Their refusal to return my money is unacceptable. Instead of paying my credit with my checking acct, they took the money off the credit card and put into my checking account. If payment is due on the 12th and you pay on the 11th or the 12th, a late fee is assessed because their system for some reason does not compute! They reverse the late fees, sometimes. That's my current problem now. I have 4 charges at $35 each and they are "reviewing the audio" to see what was said.

I was told they would be removed and, well, no they are still on my acct as late fees. I cannot get online to pay my bill. I called to pay the bill, but never got through. I cancel every card with them because they are horrible and I get a letter from them saying they canceled me for delinquencies. I'm sick of this bank. As soon as all is cleared up, I'm out of there. Not one thing has been right: merchant account, yeah, my business!, Credit cards, personal and business. I am going to wait to see how long it takes them to get back with me about giving me my money back. It's the principle of it all. Plus, all the fees they've taken, do not belong to them!

I have been with BB&T and it's predecessor for 17 years. I have one personal account with direct deposit from US Treasury. Did not have problems with predecessor bank. Address: It took 6 attempts before address was changed after a move. 6 attempts over 15 months. When I tried to order a debit card, it either never printed because the order "dropped out of the system" or was sent to the branch where I opened the account originally. The branch was inconveniently far away. The debit card problems have gone on for several years. Yet when I go back to the local branch they usually remark that I have had many temporary cards. The remarks carry an obvious tone of questioning, seemingly insinuating that this is a problem that I created when it is not mine, but theirs.

Recently someone passed fraudulently forged checks on my account. They were not stolen but recreated somehow. They were cashed at a BB&T. Although I am not in the habit of cashing checks @ the bank, the teller(s) did not ensure it is my signature. A bank officer told me they are supposed to do that... I have to open a new account and the old one is blocked. I send the direct deposit form in to change the account number for the monthly deposits. To ensure it is not returned to US Treasury, I go to the bank, see the officer. She says she has notated the account and that the deposit info will go to a special department where a human will transfer the deposit to the new account.

The day that deposit is supposed to post, I call the automated customer service. It indicates the deposit is pending on the old account. So I return to the bank to ensure it has gone to the special department where a human will transfer to new account. I meet with a V.P. He cannot find out anything by checking the computer so he calls the special department. They indicate that, yes, they are aware of it and they tell him it will post that night to the new account. I asked specifically whether they were making a manual transfer. He replied yes. That was on first day of month. On the 6th day of the month there is still no sign of the "transferred" deposit. However after 2 pm I call automated service; it has been credited to the closed/blocked acct even though they had said previously that should it try to hit the old account that it would be returned to the govt.

I call the VP. He is gone for the day; I speak with another officer who tells me that the VP was supposed to make the transfer himself 6 days previously. He did not do it. Not did anyone in the "special" dept. She says she will fix it all up, though, and tells me not to worry. She says she "is making the transfer now." That was at 3 pm.

The 7th day of the month is tomorrow. We shall see if the problem is fixed on the 3rd attempt. I am going out of town tomorrow and will need money to travel. I anticipate NOT being able to have access to my own retirement annuity. So I will prepare food and drink, etc. for the trip. I no longer feel that I can rely on the information and assurances that I am getting from the officers. TRUST --- Branch Bank and Trust. How ironic that that word is part of their very name. Yet they are not trustworthy.

As soon as I get my money I will get a cashier's check for the balance in whichever account it ends up in. I will take that to another bank, one I feel confident in, and open a new account. Please do not do business with BB&T or you are risking a lot. Yes the account is FDIC insured, but if BB&T were taken over, how long would it be before FDIC sent me the insured balance? I am a senior citizen. I cannot trust BB&T. I will be moving to a reliable bank asap.

BB&T has no loyalty whatsoever. 10++ years of banking means nothing to them. I mean checking, savings, mortgage and retirement. Would not let me cash a check from my employer, says I must deposit. Next priority, find a new bank.

I do not understand how when I had just started reestablishing my credit I was approved for $400 line of credit and $2000 on BB&T credit card. Now since then I have 100 percent on time payments on all my accounts. BB&T wouldn't finance my brand new car but Hyundai Motor credit did for a lower rate than BB&T offer. Now you deny me an increase. My question is how was I given credit in first place if I'm such a risk? Initially I was reestablishing, now I have credit with 100 percent on time payments. Anything derogatory is over 7 years old.

BB&T is a joke!! Don't get involved unless you absolutely have to. I am much more satisfied with Capital 1, Hyundai motor Credit and Wells Fargo. I'm paying off card and will only use in emergency. BB&T will get no interest from me. I submitted a question online, it took 14 days to respond. Totally unprofessional bank! Poor customer service and some illiterate, must not be able to read.

I recently moved to Arizona and tried to close out my Virginia BB&T checking account remotely. I was told the account needed to be a zero balance. So I transferred the remaining balance minus the $3 transfer charge to my new account. In the meantime, I was told the account would be closed once the zero balance was confirmed.

One week later, I am now receiving NSF from the account. Obviously it was never closed out and several items that were on direct withdrawal hit the account. So the account has -$36 charge. Now I'm told that the NSF cannot be removed and I have to bring the account to a zero balance. I had a friend deposit $36 CASH into the account and called back to have the account closed. Now I'm informed that even though the money is in the account it has to post at midnight and the direct withdrawal was already scheduled, so I will have another $36 NSF again. This appears to be a way that BB&T has to game the system and milk elderly women out of their money. I do not know if this will ever be resolved and I have had it with this predatory bank!

My husband and I had a checking account with BB&T when we first moved to North Carolina. We had some fraudulent activity on the account and they charged us a bunch of over draftfees for things that were sent back after the fraudulent transactions. Not only would they NOT refund the overdraft fees but they charged us $2.00 a pop to call their customer services line. And I had to call twice. Needless to say we closed that account and ran to another bank. I real big bank who know how to function in a big bank world.

We purchase a car in 2012. BB&T gets the loan. We keep the car for less than two years. Loan gets paid off, no problems. We purchase another vehicle and are told BB&T wants the loan because we pay early and more than the minimum payment. So this is now loan #2 with them. The car from loan #2 becomes the subject of arbitration through the North Carolina Lemon Law. We go to arbitration and the arbitrator awards replacement.

Now this is a process and sometimes very painful. We chose a replacement vehicle at the dealership but we are informed a third party company must pick up the new car and also make the payoff. The vehicle manufacturer advises that loan #2 will be paid off prior to the vehicle "swap" appointment where we surrender the old vehicle, along with title I might add, and we then take delivery of our new replacement one. BB&T decides that even though they know the payoff is coming having been notified at least 5 times, 3 by me and 2 by the third party company making the payoff AND despite holding the new loan #3 to report loan #2 as 30 days delinquent.

The day of the swap appointment was one day after the last day of our grace period. Loan #2 was not paid off prior to the appointment contrary to the Arbitrator's decision and the manufacture's own policy. We did not even hold title to this vehicle beyond our payment date. BB&T thus far has refused to remove the item from our credit reports. Consequent, we have seen a drop of 100 points in our credits scores because of this. And we are trying to purchase a new house. I am outraged by all of this. BB&T has given me contradictory advice from saying they are dealing with the dispute to saying, "No, you have to deal directly with the credit bureaus" (which we are also doing simultaneously for myself and my husband). That's 6 different places to dispute. Ugh. Every response from BB&T has been non-existence or delayed significantly. My guess is that even the payoff was delayed in being processed.

We continue to follow up with BB&T and the credit bureaus but only time will tell if this will get resolved favorably for us. And when trying to buy a new house time is not something we have. Now I'm trying to figure out where in the chain I can go if we don't get the result we need. We will definitely pursue refinancing our vehicle when the time is right. We want nothing more to do with BB&T. I put a one star rating only because I couldn't put zero!