1.11/5

701 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My granddaughter lives with us, she was involved in a auto accident, other person fault, totaled her car. After two months of dealing with the other person’s insurance company, we finally got an reasonable settlement. My granddaughter received a check and she deposited it on a Friday, it was a large amount, BB&T put a 7 day hold plus 2 weekend which amounts to 11 day. I went to the bank and asked them why. I asked to talk to a manager, the teller told me that no one was there today, so I had to talk to the teller. She told me that it's up to the bank, at their discretion to hold the check, and that there was nothing that we could do about it. My granddaughter has be without a car for two months. Now she has to wait until the bank clears the check, and they are wrong about nothing we can do about it. As soon as the check clears, GOODBYE BB&T. I have heard many other horror story about this bank. DO NOT BANK AT BB&T.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This company is a fraud!!!! DO NOT sign up with this bank PLEASE. They steal your money. If you don't have enough funds and an automatic payment tries to come out they will still charge you $36 without the automatic payment going through. This company is the worst. I WOULD NOT recommend this company. My banker did not tell me about this until I called customer service. I've been with this company for over a year. PLEASE SEEK ANOTHER BANKING COMPANY!!!! Closing my account tomorrow.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Mad I have to give them one star. Been a customer since taking out a jumbo mortgage 8 years ago. Opened two checking accounts at same time to facilitate payments and for expenses for a rental property. Opened two credit cards for same purposes. Started having problems immediately applying payments to wrong accounts, holding funds for abnormally long periods, their auto phone system is archaic and ineffective getting you to anyone who knows what they are talking about - or even harder somebody who can get anything accomplished.

Even then, took out a 2nd mortgage (stupidly) for a remodel and that just accelerated the problems. After a couple of years of this foolishness, closed the credit cards, closed the 2nd and today I am moving the checking accounts. They state setting up a 3rd party transfer bank takes 3 days (!!) - (my Credit Union did it AND made the payment in a couple of hours). After FOUR days, they say it may take another THREE days and couldn't care less. That's it, I'm done. May refi my 1st just to get away from them. WORST bank ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

So upset I had to even give one star. I've been branching with BB&T since they were Susquehanna. Never had any issues until BB&T took over. And now I always have issues. The newest issue happened Friday when they took money $280 to be exact from my personal bank acct and put it into the negative one of my husband's which my name is just on but I never use. He only has one card for the acct. I only use my personal acct and a separate joint acct we have. Anyway, my husband made 2 purchased using the wrong card since the cards are exactly alike. He didn't know his mistake since BB&T let the purchases go through. He spent about $45 total between two stores. Well I don't notice until a few weeks later when I am helping him check his acct that it's even negative. So he assures me he will pay it. So I don't worry about it because I don't use that acct.

So it's been about a month and a half since this has happened and my husband was going to pay it when his next check came because it was a free check. So I happen to check my personal acct and see $280 was taken from my personal acct and put into his acct to make it positive. I was not told of the transaction nor did I approve. I especially am upset cause there are $240 in fees. Seeing how every single day you're negative it charges $8 more. I call and they basically tell me I'm screwed and to call back Tuesday (tomorrow) because I didn't notice early enough Friday and the dept I needed is closed. I don't get how they can transfer my personal money without approving through me. I am calling Tuesday to try and at least get the fees back and then I am closing my acct with them. Their fees are ridiculous and they always put their customers last.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I opened a Savings account 7 days ago, since BB&T recently financed my used car purchase. I thought this would facilitate ease of making payments, so I could transfer funds to the account before the payment was due, and schedule an auto-payment. So far, my funds are still on "Administrative Hold" after repeated inquiries. I was told 4 "business days, but today is the 5th business day. The account was opened online with a fund transfer, not even a check! So the funds are already out of the other account... So what is BB&T doing with my money, while I do not have access to it? I have emailed "my banker" from the site, and was told he requested the hold to be released. I will be closing this account later today, if they are not released in the next few hours. VERY DISAPPOINTED in the way they do business. Unfortunately, I am stuck with them for my car loan... UGH!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

BB&T closed our account for no reason after my husband's new business began to receive payments through the account. We have been a long time customer and just started receiving payments to our account from a new income stream. They flagged this as fraud and closed our account. They would not talk to him on the phone and said he must come into the branch and prove his business was legitimate. He had to travel to Miami to show all his business paper work, but before he got there they'd already closed the account.

They also went in and reversed the payments back to his customers after the services were completed. They blocked any access to his account. We could not access the money, but any direct deposits or incoming money was still accepted into the account. No one called and talked to my husband about any of this. Once the lady at the bank gave him a number to call, the fraud department informed him they will send him a certified check if anything was left. BB&T is one of the most fraudulent banks out there. Stay far away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

BB&T is usually good, I’ve been with them for 4 years and have never had a problem until now. However this problem is so beyond frustrating that I don’t even want to have an account with them anymore. Their overdraft fees are complete **. I paid someone $1,700 through Venmo and BB&T didn’t take it out until a week later! Since I technically still had that money in my account, I spent some money on food that I knew would take me into negative balance IF the 1,700 was taken out. However, I also had another sum of money that was being put in, but was still processing. So I knew it’d be fine because even though the money wasn’t in yet, it would be by the time I was charged the $1,700 and therefore I would not go into the negatives.

So then I get a message that I’m being charged an overdraft fee all because my PENDING transactions go over the amount of money I have. So keep in mind they haven’t even processed my payments yet, but since the pending transactions went over, they prematurely charged me an overdraft fee, not even waiting until they actually took the money out. Which if they waited until they did take the money out, the $50 that I had being put in would have covered the other pending transactions.

Secondly, I signed up originally for BB&T to just not let me make any transactions if they were going over my limit. Since BB&T apparently punishes you for pending ones, they shouldn’t have even let me overspend my money if it would end up being negative. A few months ago I changed it so that if I did ever overspend, they would take money out of my savings account and put it in my checking account to make sure my checking doesn’t become negative. Surprise surprise, they didn't do that either when they should have! So, even if that didn’t work they still should have declined my original transaction for food, which they didn’t. I’ll be calling and trying to get the fee waived, but if that doesn’t work they can count on me to close all my accounts with them and join a new, better bank. :)

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just recently, I received a call from BB&T's fraud department, telling me that they had stopped a transaction from Utah. In the past year, BB&T stopped a charge from New England that was for meeting people online. Another time, I was in Sam's on the East coast, shopping for the month, and picking up medication. My card was denied, the bank had put a stop on it. Naturally I was upset, so I opened up my iPhone to call BB&T and discovered where I had missed several calls from the bank. I knew something was wrong and most assuredly, charges for a hotel reservation and charges at a restaurant from California were being stopped by the bank, and they were calling to see if they had acted accordingly. Embarrassment of the card being denied at Sam's was quickly forgotten. BB&T are not perfect but their diligence in monitoring charges far overrides their imperfection.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Please stay away from this bank! I got an alert that a transaction came through on my account. I immediately called the bank to report it as fraud. While on the phone with the bank, TWO MORE went through. These people had the nerve to tell me that they couldn’t do anything until the payments posted. I called back the next day and reported these transactions as fraud and a claim was filed. The following day more money had left the account but with no transaction history which put the account into negatives. I had to act out of my charting order to get the claim expedited which still had not been resolved. When/if this account is rectified, I am closing the account and going the other way! Stay away!!! They suck!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had a check that I wrote on a Friday afternoon to a vendor. I had deposited a check on the Monday before and it was returned. I found out on Saturday so on Sunday I deposited cash to make sure I had funds available I wrote on Friday after 5 pm. On Monday the check came through the account, I was showing the cash being deposit on hold. Who place a deposit cash on hold that I did they did before? They paid the check but they charged an overdraft with the cash being in the bank. They are thieves!!! Worst bank ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Stay away from this bank from Space if you have the ability to do so. I have thousands of dollars on the account but they blocked my card for security purposes cause I was trying to send some money thru Facebook to my wife which needed the money cause her car broke down on the highway. I understand security measures and I appreciate that but I have been on hold for the last 5 hours with BB&T and she is still stuck there with our little baby. Stay away from this bank.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

From day 1, BB&T is very unprofessional and will do anything to suck your money out of your bank. They will send someone to drive by your house if they do not receive your payment on time and will charge you $20 for driving by. Why don't they call and ask you if you have sent in a payment. I sent $217,000 to BB&T to pay off the mortgage loan on August 15, 2018, but they said they cannot apply the money to my account until September 1st for various reason. I believe, they just want to charge you the interest for 15 more days is the reason. They stated they will make sure, we do not get charged for the extra 15 days, and the pay off amount would be the same.

Today is September 20, I called them to ask why I have not received any document to prove that my loan is paid in full. I was told that I still owe $217,000 because of their mistake. At this point, my blood pressure went off the roof, and people need to see this review. I asked them to look at the prior conversations with BB&T the manager said she would type up concerning this. Guess what??? They said it was my fault for not calling them back on August 31st to tell them to take the money out. They also said the manager I spoke with in August deleted the statements, so there is no proof that we want the loan to be paid in full on September 1st. Remember, we sent them $217,000 on August 15th. Why would I sent in that much money to them for no reason, anybody with brain would figure this out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been a BB&T customer for 3 years now. My local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is WONDERFUL. Fast, friendly and efficient. Especially branch manager Ms. Kathy **. If I have the funds I'm sending her and all the ladies a fruit basket for Christmas. I'm very satisfied with them. But the company as a whole is officially my enemy. I hate it with a passion.

Anyway, around August 30th, just 3 days after I was in a major car accident, Capital One Auto Finance took TWO car payments out of my account putting me in a negative balance. When I called Capital One, they told me I had to contact my bank, BB&T, which I did RIGHT THEN AND THERE. BB&T gave me a claim number. They sent out a paper for me to sign which took TWO WEEKS. Really? I signed and went into my local branch. I watched Ms. Kathy ** fax the paperwork to the main office. I witnessed this with my own eyes. I call today, and lo and behold, BB&T claims they do not have the paperwork. I will fax it again, tomorrow, from my job, my local branch and my house.

Spoke with Kameka, who I was very nasty too in the last part of the conversation due to frustration, who said it will take ANOTHER 10 days to refund me my money. that's highly unacceptable. I went through the entire hurricane Florence WITHOUT ANY FUNDS because of this **. I really, really, really want to leave BB&T but the local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is the ONLY thing keeping me here. Give those ladies a raise. And Ms. Kameka, I am very sorry. You were just doing your job.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had fraud on my account approx. $1,000 worth of fraud. I immediately tried to dispute it, but was told that the transactions were pending & I had to wait. The transactions posted & then I was told it would take 5 days to resolve. This is a business account. A few years ago I had a similar issue with Chase on a business account. They credited me immediately pending the investigation. I have had a BB&T mortgage for over 13 years & we have numerous family accounts, they suck. In branch sac. is good, but the company as a whole is outdated & sucks. Every time I call them, I'm on hold for at least 20 min. They have flagged my card for fraud in error & they don't send a text or email, you are just looking like an idiot.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We opened a BB&T Business Credit Card (and Business Checking... But that's another complaint) in March and have yet to be able to use it on our business expenses. Every time we try to use it to pay vendors, suppliers, and other business-related expenses, BB&T declines the charges. Every. Single. Time. We have been on the phone with them now for many hours over the past few months trying to sort this out. Every time they say it's because of fraud alert and it's there to protect us from fraudulent charges. According to the phone reps, there is literally nothing we can do about it.

We asked if we called and told them ahead of time we would be in NYC for a trade event and would like to use the credit card there, would that prevent the charges from being rejected... THEY SAID 'NO'! A credit card that cannot be used because it is rejected EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Is useless for a small business owner. Today, our card was rejected AGAIN when we tried to pay a vendor with it. WE'RE DONE WITH BB&T. This is the worst banking experience I have had in my 51 years on planet Earth. As soon as this event is over and I can do the research, we are switching our business to another bank.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been banking with BB&T since before with Susquehanna Bank. I have never been very happy with BB&T, especially since no one in my local branch with whom I had a relationship is still there. I had opened a savings account 2 yrs ago for the specific purpose of transferring money into it from my Vanguard account. Money never stayed in the account and it was almost always at a zero balance. This purpose was explained to the banking person who opened it. For almost 2 yrs there was never an issue.

10 days ago, I transferred money from Vanguard. On Tuesday, I checked my BB&T accounts on-line and the account I set up to accept the money from Vanguard was gone. Upon calling my local branch, I was told it had a $0 balance in it for 2 months and at the discretion of the bank, it was closed. I was furious. I had never been contacted. I had never been told I needed to keep any amount of money in the account or I would have. Now, what is really egregious is that the money has still not been rejected by BB&T and returned to Vanguard. It will take up to 2 weeks to be returned to Vanguard!!! So, they can sit on my money and make interest. I was not able to use the money for the purpose for which I originally transferred it. And, I am not able to make money on it in my Vanguard account. I would be very careful if deciding to bank with BB&T to find out what exactly you are getting into.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Bank sent my money card to wrong address. It was activated and used. Took 600.00 out of my acct. Contacted fraud department. They canceled card. Put purchase from card under fraud. Then came back 10 days later. STS card was activated using my phone #. Advised them phone is off... then stated employer gave them my phone # when direct deposit app was taken. Advised them again that a lie... refused to replace my money stating because was activate using my phone # they are not going to replace money... what do I do next?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I gave a merchant my credit card details when I made an appointment for a $59 HVAC service. They NEVER provided that service (or any other service), but charged my card $137!!! I disputed the charge with BBT Credit cards. After making me jump through hoops and present all sorts of evidence regarding the false charge, they awarded the merchant the money anyway "because they said they provided the service". The merchant also presented a false invoice, and I presented irrefutable proof that it was falsified, but BBT found in favor of the merchant anyway. I am suing now BBT for malphisis and anything else I can find that they did wrong in this process. I am NOT letting them get away with it!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I have been a customer of BB&T Bank for 5 years and have always kept a high savings account and a lower checking account information. I signed up for the student account which is suppose to provide protections for your account and no minimum balance or monthly fees. I signed up for overdraft protection which is suppose to stop payments from being made from my checking account that could overdraft my account and also a link savings and checking protection plan which takes money from my savings to my checking if I fall short of money. That way I will always be covered I assumed. However, I woke up one day to 3 returned item fees of 36$ a piece.

And when I called and asked, "What happened?" They told me they didn’t see any of those protection plans listed in my account. I told them, "This is how I set up my account in 2013. Why has this not been shown," they couldn’t provide me with an answer and told me nothing could be done but to try to enroll me in those protection plans again so that it can be done in the future. They refused to refund the $108 dollars in returned items fees that have been lost. BB&T has the worst customer service and has lost a customer.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I can't believe I cannot speak to someone in the bank. I have been on hold for over an hour. Thank God for speaker phone. I had dinner, and guess what, I'm still on hold. Can you imagine if this was fraud alert. And this is at all hours. You can never get someone on the line immediately. So guess what, after 10 years I'm done. I'm taking my money to another bank. I'M DONE WITH YOU.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I decided to purchase a pre-owned vehicle from a dealer I have used 4x previously. The payoff amount exceeded my liquid reserves so my loan officer obtained a small loan for just over $5000 @ 3.90%. At 12 months that cost me $272 in interest. The only downside was that the lowest rate available was at BB&T. Shoot me now. I have NEVER received ANY communication from BB&T to date even though the loan 37 days ago. No welcome letter, no payment book, no anything. When I called Customer (In)service I was told that my service address was incorrect on BOTH loans. BOTH loans? I have never used BB&T in my life (partially due to reviews such as these).

When I do further, I discovered that BB&T had assigned a $30, 000 truck loan to another couple living 50 miles away who purchased it in another state. We have no similarities in name, address or anything. Meredith ** from Whiteside NC ("where ALL automotive loans are processed") assured me that this was not a case of identity theft but a simple "internal error". Three "absolutely will be fixed by" dates have gone by. The fraudulent loan still shows on my profile. Meredith does not respond to ANY correspondence. My local branch just refers me back to Meredith. NOBODY has told me anything even resembling the truth - all for a few measly dollars saved in finance charges. And I thought Bank of America was bad... I will move the remaining amount on my loan to pay off these scam artists and NEVER do business with them again. They are simply: Incompetent, unprofessional, and unethical. Is this where you want to do business???

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

The system automatically charges $5 from my saving even not one billing period. It happens not one but very often. When I tried to claim back I have to put request form, wait for 3 business days to able to process blah blah... but when the system charged the money, it happens right away. Decided to close account right away.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

A total disaster in customer service!!! I did apply for a construction loan in 2018 and I told them that as a Certified / insured Home Builder, I want to build a house for myself. I own the land and I've almost 30% of the construction as cash deposit in my BB&T account and I was qualified for the loan. BB&T Mortgage group are very slow in processing, very conservative in qualification process, their interest rates are higher than anyone else in the market and also the loan officer that I was working with, had no idea about the construction loan.

On top of these, BB&T won't pay you any money in advance and they ask you spend out of pocket and then get reimbursed which causes more delay. I double checked with other home builders, none of them had a good experience with BB&T's construction loans. Overall, I'm not recommending their mortgage program since I've applied three times and always end up finding it cheaper and easier somewhere else. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH BB&T.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been with BB&T for many years and have had several different kinds of accounts. But the customer Service has gotten so bad the within the last year, that I will be changing banks. The local branches don't even have managers that are trained in the banks policies and therefore are unable to answer questions or assist clients. Occasionally there will be a teller that can help but for the most part they can't either without calling the corporate headquarters. Where they are put on hold. This is the same thing you get if you call customer service number. They always have at least a 1 hr wait. Customer service at banks should be their #1 Priority but with BB&T their #1 Priority is holding on to YOUR money. And their latest policies basically deny you access to your funds.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I have been charged for 5 overdraft fees when I had money in my account for all but one of them! They told me that the available credit did not account for pending transactions which took my account below where I thought it was, however even the pending transactions that came out of the presented balance got overdraft fees! How can a transaction get overdraft fees if it came out successful with money left over? I really gotta figure out how to live bank free because these banks will rip you off and swear you are the one doing something wrong. I know the difference between a negative and positive account. If an account is not yet negative, then no transactions that took place BEFORE it became negative should incur a fee. The people at BB&T don't seem to agree. $200 of my hard earned bill money (over 2 full days pay) gone because they are allowed to do this kind of thing.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have with BB&T since 1987 (prior to the acquisitions). It is my opinion that the Bank is using dirty tactics to add to their profits. First when you arrive to deposit money via check or cash, you treated like a criminal. That is the verification process is ridiculously. Particularly when you have money in your account to cover the cost.

Recently, a check came into my account for $100 dollars, they stated I was $2 short. So the check was returned and I was charged $36! I was not short, this was deliberately action on their part and you cannot get them to understand their mistakes. The bank reps are clueless and simply do not understand their own banking processes. Of the rep had to call a number and ask me to step out while the explanations was taking place. I refused as I too wanted to explain what the problem was. Well that did not work and it was explained to again, incorrectly the error. I ask for the $36 to be refunded to me. No was the answer, because they can only forgive fees every 24 months. Again, not my error. I am so frustrated by this bank and I will be cutting ties with them shortly. But people need to know what is going on.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Avoid this bank at all costs. I opened an account late June for a settlement I received. They put a 7 day hold on the check, even though it would have been a simple verification of funds. Almost a month later I deposited a personal check given to me on a Saturday. The teller tells me that it’s going to be a 7 day hold because my account is new. Fast forward to Monday they still don’t have the check posted. When I call there’s no comments in the system that I made a deposit so they need to call me back. She calls back and leaves a message that my check will need to be held for 7 business days. This is strange because my settlement check was held for 7 calendar days. These people make up their own rules to hold your money hostage. I will be closing out my account once my money is released. BB&T it’s my money and I want it NOW!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with the attitude of the lady that I interacted with this afternoon, at the BB&T branch in Bluffton, SC. My parents (who I must say have been loyal to BB&T for more than 30 years) live in the area. I reside in Alabama but am here for vacation. There was an issue with my account that I needed to handle. While this customer relations representative seemed to know what she was doing, her poor attitude towards me and my father (who visits this bank on a weekly basis) was disrespectful at best. It’s evident that she isn’t pleased with her profession and it’s best that I refrain from dealing with her as often as possible. The branch manager is a wonderful person and have no doubt they will handle this issue. Out of respect, I will not put names on this consumer review. However, I will say that this female who looks to be in her mid to late thirties needs to work on her professional etiquette.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My wife and I opened a joint account. We went into a branch, presented our IDs. They locked my wife out of our online account after 4 yrs of service. She called to unlock it and said her information was incorrect. That's the banks fault. Now we have to take time off work to go in and correct their stupid ** mistakes. I filed a complaint through email. Auto response said we will contact you in 15 days. Good luck, we will be banking with someone else by then. This bank is worthless as a far in the wind!!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

This bank is a mess. I go deposit paycheck pm Friday. She gives me the receipt back and says 2-day hold. I asked her why. I deposited this check 2 weeks ago and they told me no hold. She asked me for the receipt back. I went and got another lady. They were typing on the computer. She gives me a receipt and tells me I'm good, no hold!! Well I'm sure you know what happened. There is a hold even though they told me no, my receipt says no hold. And of course today Saturday that branch is not open. The 1 800 BB&T people cannot help me or any branch that's open. I have to wait for this Branch to open.

I also figured out by these people telling me the branch puts the hold they told me before so it's automatic generated. That's a lie! Just like they told me yesterday it was a lie or they're incompetent and didn't know how to fix their own hold they placed on the check! The part that infuriates me is at if I overdraw my account or mess it up I am held responsible AKA all these fees right? But when the bank messes up all they do is apologize, "We're so SORRY..." REALLY! Why is it the consumer can be held responsible via money but yet the bank and just apologize? That is the million-dollar question. So now I have to wait till Monday morning to go to that branch to figure out why they either lied to me or why they messed up and it's wonderful that it's on a weekend. I appreciate that. UNBELIEVABLE.

BB&T Company Information