3.32/5

779 BB&T Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am writing to describe the outstanding customer service given to my brother by BB&T Branch Banker Team Leader, Safiya **, at the Huntingdon Valley office in Pennsylvania during four visits over the past three months. My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury six months ago and continues to have memory lapses and periods of confusion. He required a great deal of time to untangle his complicated banking situation that had gone unattended for months while hospitalized. That time was provided at each visit in the Huntingdon Valley BB&T Branch Office until all questions were answered and the issue resolved. My brother needed banking instructions to be written and repeated multiple times. He also required repeated demonstrations to access his account using his phone.

The willingness to assist, the patience and clear instructions provided by Ms. ** were exceptional. I witnessed customer service at its best during each encounter and was so grateful for it. I have been a nurse for 43 years and did not expect to find one of the most compassionate providers behind a desk in a bank. I would highly recommend doing banking business at this location!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bank with the St. Augustine Beach Branch. Donna **, Linda **, Torrie & Gina are the best team of professionals I’ve ever dealt with. They each acknowledge you as you come in and take care of you asap. I understand BBT is merging with Sunbank which we had the opposite experience with and moved all our money out of. BB&T in St. Augustine is the Best!!! I hope merging with Sunbank doesn’t alter that, or maybe Sunbank can Learn from BB&T. Just Ask the St. Augustine team, they got it down.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

When I was ready to retire, I refinanced my mortgage with BB&T. The process was quick and easy, my bank rep was professional, and the interest rate very low. I'm saving so much money with this new low rate. And I save time making monthly payment online.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just recently, I received a call from BB&T's fraud department, telling me that they had stopped a transaction from Utah. In the past year, BB&T stopped a charge from New England that was for meeting people online. Another time, I was in Sam's on the East coast, shopping for the month, and picking up medication. My card was denied, the bank had put a stop on it. Naturally I was upset, so I opened up my iPhone to call BB&T and discovered where I had missed several calls from the bank. I knew something was wrong and most assuredly, charges for a hotel reservation and charges at a restaurant from California were being stopped by the bank, and they were calling to see if they had acted accordingly. Embarrassment of the card being denied at Sam's was quickly forgotten. BB&T are not perfect but their diligence in monitoring charges far overrides their imperfection.

Original review: June 25, 2019

If you want to take SBA loan please stay away from BB&T!!!! This Bank will fail you as soon as you sign loan agreement. Their idea of being in banking business is only to marge with other banks for their own profit. You will not see a penny and you will be disrespected and brought to financial ruin. If this Bank will continue to be allow to merge with other banks it will bring us another 2008! IT IS THE WORSE BANK!!!! In the front of each branch of BB&T should be posted big sign "KEEP AWAY - WE WILL BANKRUPT YOU."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: June 25, 2019

BB&T restacks and removes/recharges pending items in order to charge overdraft fees. This has happened to me before and now two weeks in a row I have multiple NSF fees for NO REASON. As soon as I get direct deposit changed I’m switching banks. BB&T is such a scam, take your business elsewhere.

Original review: June 21, 2019

BB&T has all banking g coding done in a way to line their pockets and empty yours. You want good customer banking services? Go somewhere else. They always send the bigger draft through first causing an overdraft then dings all the lower drafts with overdraft fees.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I've been banking with BB&T since I was 12 years old, but that is finished now. I cannot believe that BB&T customer service ignored my calls and messages for SIX MONTHS about closing an account that kept a monthly fee. This account was free to me for 10 years, and now all of a sudden there is a monthly fee? They ignored my messages in order to keep the monthly "maintenance" fee. I am appalled.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I applied to refinance my rental property. I was told we qualify. Then they said they needed more paperwork. We sent everything they asked. They asked for the same papers over and over. Said we needed to up our flood insurance . So we did all this to have them decline our loan after 4 month. We paid for appraisal and upgraded flood insurance. We paid out $3600.00. Would never do banking with them.

Original review: June 7, 2019

May 9th of 2019 was my third year with BB&T. I worked a two week notice making my last day June 24th. The reason for this review is because I'm devastated to how I was treated. I started full-time and then became a floater, where you go from branch to branch, whomever needed extra help. That being said I have been to many branches and when I worked there one day I was asked if I wanted to go back full time. I agreed although hesitant due to the drive. I never received a conditional offer nor a raise. Myself and co-worker, who left four days maybe five after I left, worked to maximum capacity. I worked with my Branch Coordinator for approximately a month and a half before she went out on medical leave.

One day I was checking my email, it was presented to me that I was the lead while my boss was out on medical leave. I approached the Market Leader on numerous occasions for a salary change and to be able to go to another branch and mirror another Branch Coordinator. I still don't know what exactly a BC does, but if I messed up I was belittled. You never hear great job for working so hard. It was always negative. I also was the only full time employee who had to work three Saturdays out of the month. We we're supposed to get our schedules three weeks in advance. That never happened once. Since I basically worked six days out of the week besides one, I would schedule my doctor appointments six weeks in advance and then when I would give her my days off she almost always wanted me to change it to another day.

I recall one day I was scheduled to get off at 12:45 because I was working the upcoming Sat, she asked me if I could come back because once again scheduling was almost laughable. I received a text from her while i was at my Dr. appt. asking when I thought I would be back. I came back not for her but because I cared about my co workers. That day we didn't leave until 7 pm due to a machine out of balance. The next day I never once got a Thank You but instead pretty much got scolded for having overtime. The client relationships I formed was amazing. Their complaints are always the same "You get to know someone, they know what you need, and then a new face". The turnover rate is crazy and I was never compensated once for doing my boss's job.

The Market Leader is a micro manager, and someone needs to investigate what is going on with this location. Four months at that Branch ruined my career and I do not job hop. There was nothing else I could do because you have to stay at a branch for 18 months. If you were to look into that contract you will see that some can transfer and others can't. I feel like I was forced to quit and discriminated against because I was not bilingual and I was never trained, no salary increase, 3 Sat every month. I hope someone takes this serious and look into this branch.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Never use this company. This is our buyer's loan company. We had a closing date of May 30th. 2 days before closing we get a call saying we can't close because BB&T screwed up. It then took 3 days for them to get back to us with a new closing date of June 7th and now again 2 days before closing we are getting a call that they screwed up again and we have no closing date. The incompetency at this company is unbelievable. I would never trust them with anything let alone a loan.

Original review: June 4, 2019

BB&T has to be THE WORST bank in the world!! I went into a local branch to make a CASH deposit into my ex-wife's account. This was to pay for my monthly child support that she needs in order to feed/cloth/house my children. The teller told me that she couldn't accept my CASH deposit because I my name was not on the account. She couldn't take cash!!!! She told me she could take a personal check or money order....a PERSONAL CHECK!! A personal check that can be easily forged and/or fake!!! Bust she could not take cash!! What kind of ridiculous policy is this?!?! I will never even consider using this joke of a bank and my ex-wife will be closing her account and taking her money elsewhere!! BB&T is worthless!!!!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I went into BB&T to put some money in a family member's account and the lady behind the desk told me that since I'm not on that person's account I couldn't do it at all. I'm the person's daughter. I went out to the car and told a family member I was with what the person had told me and when she went I'm they wouldn't even take it even though the family member I was with is her mom. I'm going to admit when I was walking out of that bank I called that lady a ** and said that they were all ** up just loud enough for them to hear me. I called my mom and told her all that happened.

She's hated BB&T and has claimed that when she's on the phone with a rep. from there they are not helpful, they are very rude, and they have taken money out of her account without her consent. She's only with them because it's where the people she's employed with bank. We are not satisfied with this bank and would not recommend it to anyone. Go find a bank that isn't full of rude people, doesn't money out of your account, actually helps you when you're on the phone with one of their reps., and isn't full of idiots like BB&T has. There's better options than BB&T.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Lack of accountability exist with personnel in the credit line increase department. BB&T employees don’t follow up with request made by customers. False information is consistently being provided. BB&T employees need to be trained better on how to provide consistent and accurate information related to credit line increase. BB&T could be a lot more customer friendly and has archaic processes such as requiring you to go a bank to update license information.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had put a stop payment on an auto debit back in April. I was assured it wouldn’t come out. Well they took the payment out. Now I have overdraft fees. Called and talked to customer service and the person was like, "Well I see you have the stop payment so what will happen is tonight we will reverse it back out and put the funds back." I ask about the overdraft fee and she told me I would have to do a dispute and see if they could take care of it. If you pay 36.00 to stop a payment then the payment shouldn’t even be pulled from the account at all. I will be closing my account and going to another bank. Customer service is a joke. The girl was rude and wanted to rush me off the phone. Worst customer service ever. This is ridiculous.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been a customer of this bank for 30× years. They refused to recognize a power of attorney to cash a check. I will withdraw my accounts soon. They are rude and seemingly too busy to help. Do not expect this bank to help you. There are other banking institutions that are much better!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

Opened a HELOC loan with BB&T based on an advertisement for an introductory rate of 2.24 for the first 12 months then it was to revert to prime minus 0.01%. At our initial meeting and again at the the loan closing my wife and I made it clear that we wanted FIXED RATE for the duration of the loan. Our loan officer told us this was fine but we would have to pay an annual fee of $50 which we agree to do.

Long story short, several months later our rate began to increase but we did not notice until almost another year later as the loan was automatically paid/drawn from our checking and I had major surgery that previous year. We raised this issue with our local loan officer and her manager and they agreed to investigate. The loan officer stated she had no recollection of our closing conversations nor the request for fixed rate.

The contract language and other closing documents were very ambiguous which I pointed out and even the loan officer had a difficult time understanding the documentation during our in-person review meeting and spent quite some time reviewing the closing documents. After some time she stated we had not "locked in" the fixed rate after the completion of one year. I then asked; wouldn't we at least be entitled to the 2.24% rate the first 12 months [which we did not receive] and she replied yes. This never happened and BB&T refused to make any Concessions, corrections, etc.

After this I was totally disgusted and had no confidence in the bank so in December 2018 I went into the bank and paid off the loan in Full and asked that they close the account. I was told this was done. In May of 2018 I was again looking into a loan with another bank and BB&T showed up on the Credit Report much to my surprise. I then found out that BB&T had not closed out the HELOC Loan even though it was paid in full. Most banks will not be secondary Lien holders [even though their is no amount due, there is Still an Open line of Credit] SO yet again BB&T has managed to mishandle things and have a negative impact on me getting another loan. They are [supposedly] in the process of closing the loan which takes about 30 days and then the county must update/remove them as a lien holder, this too can take several weeks.

Believe it or not this is the abbreviated version. I did file a formal complaint with the FDIC and the Consumer Finacial Protection Bureau.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have two Business Accounts and one Personal Account with this bank, plus 3 credit cards. Oh boy, how I've come to hate this bank... They make everything they can to drive you away. They have the worst customer service. They are NEVER able to help you over the phone. They make you go in person to the branch every single time. I really really really hate this bank. I'm closing all my accounts and going to a Credit Union instead.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The bank does everything to chase customers away.

1. Several years ago, I opened up a personal savings account. They shut it down after someone gave me a check that bounced.

2. Based on that ridiculous policy I was having second thoughts about keeping my business and personal accounts open after the SunTrust /BB&T merger.

3. Today sealed the deal. The minute the merger finalizes, I'm closing my old SunTrust business account even though I've been with SunTrust for about 20 years. I don't want anyone associated with BBT to get a dime from me in fees or otherwise.

4. Today, I attempted to deposit $200.00 cash into my mother's account. I had the name, address, and account number on the deposit. Nevertheless, this woman started to give me the 3rd degree over a $200 deposit and refused to allow me to deposit it. $200, not $10,000 and not $20,000. Enough already. Now my task is to find a new bank that I can stomach.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I opened this account basic checking for my daughter. It is in my name, I deposited a 5400 check and they told me 7 day hold. I went to NYC due to the fact 7 day hold. It changed to a 10 day hold! The check had cleared within 3 days, the manager in Woodbridge, Va could not be kind enough to release the funds so we could continue our stay in NY but that’s okay! I am withdrawing everything and going to a bank that has common courtesy!

Original review: May 9, 2019

When BB&T bought out my local bank (National Penn Bank) they immediately closed my line of credit and when I tried to renegotiate a new payment amount (since the other amount was way too high for my recent income) they refused to work with me, I filed Act 91 and STILL they refused to work with my councilor hence forcing me to hire a lawyer. And still to date I'm working to stop foreclosure #2 (bankruptcy was dismissed and BB&T took advantage of my lawyer's mistake and refilled foreclosure) since my lawyer screwed up, and still they are refusing to work with me to come to an agreement.

This bank is the WORST EVER and all they care about is THEIR money and the heck (I'm being nice) with hard working people like me to try and work things out - BB&T has NO Heart and deep pockets and will continue to buy out small banks and control our lives. I hope the COO, CEO, CFO, etc. get a one way ticket to the place they deserve to be... BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP and I will find a way to keep my home of 30 years!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Car loan. First time doing business with BB&T. The car dealer sent out a check which was not applied in the account after 2 week, a BB&T rep asked me to put a stop to that check since the address I gave was not correct. The check ended up making it to BB&T after I had coordinated with the car dealership to put a stop on the check. Called BB&T back and was given a new address and a phone number, after calling the number multiple times I called back to ensure I had the right address. I gave up since no one picked up the phone and the phone did not have a voicemail.

At this point I went back to the BB&T call center where Lisa a call center rep took the call. I explained the situation and she gave me a new address to mail out the check, she also told me that she does not know where I got that last address from to which I explained that it was given by a rep. I asked Lisa to please let her manager know about my previous call so they can provide feedback to the rep that took my call previously, she told me she would not do that because she did not report to anyone, Lisa also told me "You don't understand that you borrowed the money from us not the other way around, you just need to send us our money and you will be fine", and then she hang up on me. I still don't know if I can trust the address given by the rep and no one seems to take any accountability. Stay away from BB&T.

Original review: May 2, 2019

My auto loan was transferred from another bank on 3/2019 to BB&T. In the processes of all that the bank sent a letter stating I needed to call to set up my autopay through them. I called and did so... BB&T took my payment out two weeks earlier and stated that there was nothing they could do other than send me a check back in ten days. Mind you I have all my other bills coming out in the beginning of the month... Now I have to wait ten days for them to mail me back my money. And all they could say to me was, "Sorry we will have the representatives coached." What good does that do for me, other than some of my other payments bouncing. I’m so upset. I would not recommend anyone going with this company.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I opened a checking account about 2 weeks ago. When I did I was in the process of switching jobs. I moved to an area where a branch was not located within 700 to 800 miles. After opening the account and depositing $500 I did everything the bank asked me to do provide a proper identification. I provided answers for the questions. I provided funds for my account and when I was in the process of moving they locked me out of my account. They say for me to come into the nearest bank to check ID which I already provided in person and email. So I have no way to get to a branch. This bank stole my $. Do not bank here.

Original review: April 25, 2019

If I could give them no stars, I would. This bank is terrible. I opened the account under my name only and deposited a $500 check that had my husband's name on it as well and was signed by him in order to open the account. I had no issue at all with this check clearing. 3 months later, I deposited a check for an insurance settlement in the amount of $2,775 to the account. This check also had my husband's name on it. We both signed off on the check and deposited it in the account. The next morning, the funds were already showing as available.

Naturally, I began to pay some of my bills that were coming up- insurance, utilities, etc. 5 hours later, I called to pay my power bill and they told me that my card was declined. We retried several times and it was still declined. Upon looking at my account, the check was showing as pending again and I had a negative balance of almost $400. I called the bank and they told me that there was a 7 day hold on the check. We took money out of our other account to deposit in order to avoid overdraft fees.

Over the course of the next 5 days, our account showed as having a positive balance and everything except for 2 transactions had been cleared but even those 2 transactions were taken off of the total balance. The same day that the check was due to clear, I checked my account and it was showing a negative balance of over $200. I called customer service and they told me that the overdrafts were for the transactions that had occurred when the check was showing as cleared even though I put the money in the account to make up for what was taken back from the check. They then told me that my husband would need to sign a deposit ratification form in order to release the check and changed the pending date on the check to the year 2049.

My husband took his passport to the bank in order to sign the form to release the check and they told him they would not allow him to sign it because his passport was set to expire in the next week and he would have to have a state ID- which he does not have because he doesn't drive. I called and asked them to cancel the check and I would take it elsewhere and close my account and they said they could not return the check to me. I have used other major banks and not had issues and even had a check returned to me due to it having my brother in law's name on it and them not wanting to put it into my account. Now I have major overdraft fees and a check that they will not release. Also having a hard time with the insurance to get them to cancel that check and send me another one.

Original review: April 17, 2019

A couple of months ago my purse was stolen when I went to the daycare to get my child. I noticed immediately and called to cancel my cards. I had both an ATM & Credit Card and canceled through the 800 number, told them to mark my account, & had the new cards on their way. After a few days, I got an email stating that my new credit card had been ordered & it was on its way but nothing on my debit card. I didn't think too much of it and 10 days later, I got the credit card but still nothing on my debit so I called & asked them if they ever sent it, they said they didn't and they would have another one sent in 10 days.

We were going to be out of town so I requested they send it to the bank up the road since the person that stole my purse knew where I lived & I didn't want to risk anything else getting stolen. They said this would be perfectly fine. Oh 3 days after I spoke with them, my debit card that was initially ordered, was in the mail. I did try to see if I could activate that one but since the other one was on its way, they couldn't.

Fast forward to our vacation a few days later & I get a call from another branch asking me about a $2000 check that I tried to cash at that location (the day after my purse was stolen) and the "Manager" kept asking me if I was sure I didn't go up there to cash that check by a girl named "Rachel". I explained to her about what had happened & told her to call the police dept. & speak with the officer that was handling my case. She refused & told me I needed to have him contact her and whoever this person was "looked just like me".

I thought this was a bit rude given my account should have been notated and I was later explained that it was and they should have caught this woman. Also, after I spoke with the officer about what happened, he said the woman did not look a thing like me & the daycare even said there was no way that she looked like me. I found this very interesting since Carly (manager) was so insistent on this. I honestly hope the cop got in touch with her because I sure couldn't.

Next, my card did arrive at the location I requested it go to. Debbie (Mocksville Teller) called to inform me that it was there & I told her I would be there to pick it up the following week, & that I was still on vacation. The following Tuesday I left work early & went up there to get my card. The only thing I had on me was an old ID as the new one I had ordered had not come in the mail yet. She absolutely refused to give me the card and then I requested she just mail it to my house and she refused. Mind you, they were going to do this initially but because I requested it to go to the bank to be safe and didn't think it would be this much of a headache to get MY OWN CARD. I just left & said that I would call the bank 24 hour line and order a new one. THEY PUT A HOLD ON MY ACCOUNT to where I couldn't cancel that one & order a new to get sent to my house.

I finally got my driver’s license after a month so I'm going to the bank & closing EVERYTHING with BB&T. I really hope they don't treat everyone like this. Especially knowing EVERYTHING that I have been through, they had so little sympathy and could care less. I will say the lady at the Kernersville, NC bank was AMAZING. She did give me a temp card off of my expired license and didn't give me a fit. She made my life so much easier but because of the actions of the Advance & Mocksville branches, I will no longer do any business with BB&T. I've made it a point to tell all friends & co-workers about this & they couldn't believe how everything had been handled. No customer service skills WHAT-SO-EVER.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I am an accountant of 35 years and generally look at my bank transactions daily, however, I had to take time off due to having surgery on my foot. During this time, there were 4 unauthorized transactions that sent my account into an NSF nightmare. I called, emailed, and found out how to dispute these transactions. I emailed the bank manager as well letting her know what was going on so we could get my account in good standing. When I finally received a letter from them stating that all of those transactions were fraudulent and refunding monies, I found out that the bank had closed my account. Prior to this, I asked the bank manager why I could not log in and she told me to call an 800 number.

When I spoke with someone on the phone, they said my account was closed. I told them that I did not authorize that and explained the situation and time it took to resolve such situation. She was very impolite, rude and I just gave up. This is not how a business should conduct their practices. I could have written checks, unknowingly, and that would not have been good. I would not recommend doing business with this bank to anyone! The only option to submit a complaint is to rate them as a one star, otherwise, I would have put zero stars!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been with BB&T for many years and have had nothing but issues with them. Recently, I have been trying to close my account but have been unable to due to a recurring fraudulent charge. When I speak with BB&T about the charge they are rude and do not want to help. They tell me they will send the fraudulent form in but cannot take the overdraft fees off my account even though it is not my fault. Today, I went to deposit money into my mom’s account who is also a BB&T customer and they refused to let me deposit cash.

Instead, they tell me they can do a money order from my account to my mom’s but did NOT tell me my account had been overdrawn for a fraudulent charge. So BB&T took my overdraft amount out of the money order amount intended for my mom WITHOUT TELLING ME. Later I found out they actually did a check from my account to mom’s and that now the check will bounce because of them taking the overdrawn fee out of the amount meant for my mom. BB&T refuses to give my money back and the manager, Denise, refused to even speak to me when I drove 35 minutes up to the BB&T bank on my day off to take care of this. I have gotten absolutely no help and the employees have no customer service. I will never go through them again.

Original review: April 5, 2019

They canceled my savings account without alerting me. They take at least a week to issue a new card when one is fraudulently used. They are rude on the phone when you try to get access to the money in your account. All this is extremely inconvenient when their banking hours are so limited.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My car loan was transferred to BB&T, basically BB&T bought the loan. Now when I call customer care they do not answer the call... After great difficulty I was able to connect to representative but of no use. They ask me to drive 1500 miles and walk in to their branch to clear the payment. Stay away from BB&T.

BB&T Company Information