1.09/5
Based on 104 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

676 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have with BB&T since 1987 (prior to the acquisitions). It is my opinion that the Bank is using dirty tactics to add to their profits. First when you arrive to deposit money via check or cash, you treated like a criminal. That is the verification process is ridiculously. Particularly when you have money in your account to cover the cost.

Recently, a check came into my account for $100 dollars, they stated I was $2 short. So the check was returned and I was charged $36! I was not short, this was deliberately action on their part and you cannot get them to understand their mistakes. The bank reps are clueless and simply do not understand their own banking processes. Of the rep had to call a number and ask me to step out while the explanations was taking place. I refused as I too wanted to explain what the problem was. Well that did not work and it was explained to again, incorrectly the error. I ask for the $36 to be refunded to me. No was the answer, because they can only forgive fees every 24 months. Again, not my error. I am so frustrated by this bank and I will be cutting ties with them shortly. But people need to know what is going on.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Avoid this bank at all costs. I opened an account late June for a settlement I received. They put a 7 day hold on the check, even though it would have been a simple verification of funds. Almost a month later I deposited a personal check given to me on a Saturday. The teller tells me that it’s going to be a 7 day hold because my account is new. Fast forward to Monday they still don’t have the check posted. When I call there’s no comments in the system that I made a deposit so they need to call me back. She calls back and leaves a message that my check will need to be held for 7 business days. This is strange because my settlement check was held for 7 calendar days. These people make up their own rules to hold your money hostage. I will be closing out my account once my money is released. BB&T it’s my money and I want it NOW!!!

BB&T • 676 Customer Reviews and Complaints • ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 20, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with the attitude of the lady that I interacted with this afternoon, at the BB&T branch in Bluffton, SC. My parents (who I must say have been loyal to BB&T for more than 30 years) live in the area. I reside in Alabama but am here for vacation. There was an issue with my account that I needed to handle. While this customer relations representative seemed to know what she was doing, her poor attitude towards me and my father (who visits this bank on a weekly basis) was disrespectful at best. It’s evident that she isn’t pleased with her profession and it’s best that I refrain from dealing with her as often as possible. The branch manager is a wonderful person and have no doubt they will handle this issue. Out of respect, I will not put names on this consumer review. However, I will say that this female who looks to be in her mid to late thirties needs to work on her professional etiquette.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My wife and I opened a joint account. We went into a branch, presented our IDs. They locked my wife out of our online account after 4 yrs of service. She called to unlock it and said her information was incorrect. That's the banks fault. Now we have to take time off work to go in and correct their stupid ** mistakes. I filed a complaint through email. Auto response said we will contact you in 15 days. Good luck, we will be banking with someone else by then. This bank is worthless as a far in the wind!!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

This bank is a mess. I go deposit paycheck pm Friday. She gives me the receipt back and says 2-day hold. I asked her why. I deposited this check 2 weeks ago and they told me no hold. She asked me for the receipt back. I went and got another lady. They were typing on the computer. She gives me a receipt and tells me I'm good, no hold!! Well I'm sure you know what happened. There is a hold even though they told me no, my receipt says no hold. And of course today Saturday that branch is not open. The 1 800 BB&T people cannot help me or any branch that's open. I have to wait for this Branch to open.

I also figured out by these people telling me the branch puts the hold they told me before so it's automatic generated. That's a lie! Just like they told me yesterday it was a lie or they're incompetent and didn't know how to fix their own hold they placed on the check! The part that infuriates me is at if I overdraw my account or mess it up I am held responsible AKA all these fees right? But when the bank messes up all they do is apologize, "We're so SORRY..." REALLY! Why is it the consumer can be held responsible via money but yet the bank and just apologize? That is the million-dollar question. So now I have to wait till Monday morning to go to that branch to figure out why they either lied to me or why they messed up and it's wonderful that it's on a weekend. I appreciate that. UNBELIEVABLE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I recently opened an account at BB&T. I deposited a check from my account in Florida. Ray signed me up and was deceptive in his info. I deposited $700.00 from my account in Florida to BB&T. They put a hold on the check for 10 days. I had to pay rent and they said they would pay my rent since I had overdraft. Nevertheless they returned my rent check after telling me by three different people that they would pay it. I was trying to develop a relationship with a bank because I have more funds to bring up from Florida. BB&T failed me and I am now forced to cancel my account. Beware of BB&T as their employees cannot be trusted. Check them out. They have only earned 1 star for customer satisfaction. I should have done my homework. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: July 6, 2018

First, let me say, that my husband and I decided to apply for a HELOC with BB&T because we had an auto loan with them, and we never had an issue with our auto loan. I have since closed out my auto loan, and will be transferring my HELOC as well. I feel that BB&T used false advertising and deceptive lending practices when dealing with out HELOC. There was a distinct ad on their front door (the branch we used) stating: (NO CLOSING cost, NO fee loan). Well, this wasn’t true, and we were hit with over $600+ geez to pay after closing our loan. Of course, this was NEVER stated during the underwriting phase, not upon closing. We were also charged a $50.00 fee for setting up a fixed option only payment.

Second dishonest, and hidden practice, was setting up two separate payments for our HELOC, when we were never advised that this would occur. One payment, is interest only, and the other is a fixed payment. When I call to get info. regarding my loan, NO ONE ever has an answer to ANY of my inquiries as to way this is set up this way, why we were never advised, etc. Oh, yes BB&T did send me a letter dated 4-14-2017 (which I never received until May, 2018) stating that there was a $50.00 fee to set up our fixed payment portion part of our HELOC. What a joke!

My biggest, and most infuriating complaint, is: I have been making payments, well above the amount due for each loan payment category, with the understanding that any extra amount of the payments were to be applied to the principal balance only of these two payments. Did BB&T do as requested, and apply these extra amounts to my principal only portions of my HELOC? NO they have not been applying these extra amounts to principal only, which is my entire reason for writing this review.

I’ve reached out to customer service, who did not and could not, would not do a darn thing to help me rectify this situation, reached out to the executive complaint dept., again without any resolve, the mortgage dept., which again couldn’t explain anything about how the loan concept works, or why my payments weren’t getting applied as directed, and sent me back to confer with the originating branch.

Guess what, the originating branch manager left BB&T the min. our loan had closed, so now, I find I have to deal with a branch manager that has no idea what happened during our loan, as she wasn’t there. Not really fair to her to get stuck with all of this, but even she didn’t try to resolve this issue, and I was placed in the hands of another employee, who had only been with the bank for 6 months, and had no training or experience with the bank's HELOC product.

I’ve spoken with this employee a couple of times, emailed him copies of my statements, with my questions regarding these statements, and while he assured me he would help me take care of my issues, has yet to call me back with any help, or information about getting the extra payments switched over to my principal balances. i’ve been very nice, cordial, and patient with this bank, and its employees, but now I’m just angry. I called today to speak with the young man who is now supposed to be taking care of my loan issues, and he’s on vacation. Really, a vacation after 6 months of employment... must be nice!

Lastly, I called the retail banking side of this bank, as I was told by the new employee ‘helping me’ HA, that this is the department I need to speak with, in order to get my extra payments transferred to principal only. I called, and there was a 51 min. hold time, so I opted for them to call me back. 51 min. hold time? Seems I’m not the only customer that is experiencing a need to clear up issues with this bank.

If you are in the market for a HELOC from BB&T, my suggestion... READ EVERY last word of your contract, and do not sign if you feel the least bit confused about how this loan works. At closing I always read everything very carefully, and yet we were hurried out of the branch every time we were there for anything. The former branch manager, who originated our loan, always had a reason he needed to get out of there, and it made us feel like we were bothering him and the bank, to want to take our time reading over the contractual agreement. He kept saying we would get to those question at a later time, and of course, that never happened, as he left the bank! I think he just wanted one more loan product in his cap, on his record, before he began his next position with another bank. Let’s hope, that the next bank I transfer this loan to, is not employing him. I don’t want to go through this mess ever again!

In closing, let me just say, it’s a very sad and disappointing day indeed, when you learn that employees of a business can’t, or won’t answer the most basic questions about a product or procedure, with regards to whatever their products or procedures might be. BB&T needs to supply their employees with the means to know inside and out, backwards and forwards the loan and other banking products BB&T is offering its clients, customers. The failure of BB&T to do this, gains them less than even 1 star in my opinion.

When the retail side of banking calls me back today, (if they really do) they better have answers for me, and they better transfer my extra principal payments over to my principal side of my loan, or I’m going to seek help thru whatever means necessary to get those payments back. I’ve never dealt with a less competent bank, and bank departments. Oh, and when the CEO customer service complaint department got in touch with me to try and resolve my unhappiness with the bank... Do you think anyone from the executive branch contacted me to help me with the issues, even after the rep. for this dept. took all sorts of notes? NO, NOPE, NADA... So, what does this tell me? Well, it just tells me that the Bank doesn’t give a rip about their consumers, or customers, and I’ll never bank with them again!!!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Been banking with BB&T for many years with multiple accounts. All I can say is that over the years this bank has really turned for the worth. Not only did they close down my local branch but now my only was to do all my deposits online delaying was once was a 1 day delay to now 3-5 days. I believe the only reason this bank stays afloat is from the shady practices they use to obtain fee's from hard working individuals. Not easy moving 5 accounts to another bank and I have been putting off but enough is enough BB&T. You guys hands down win the award for most unethical banking practices. I would love to talk to someone nearby about a charge but oh that's right you can't today because it's Saturday and almost every branch is closed. Ugh!

Original review: June 28, 2018

BB&T have continued to steal my money and have the policy of never returning bank fees. They charged me overdraft fees when my account had a positive balance, made adjustments to my account (without my permission or signature) to incur fees and return payments. When I confronted them, they said that they did not do it. BB&T actions continue to cross the line of morals and ethical behavior. It is time for the FDIC to investigate this bank and end this criminal activity like they did for Wells Fargo.

Original review: June 26, 2018

They change the mortgage payment address and do not let customers know, charge extra fees and cause credit issues? Every BBT employee should be drawn and quartered for allowing such despicable behavior. I am moving away from and never recommending such an underhanded bank! Is there not a requirement to notify customers prior to changing an address or is BB&T just being thieves desiring fees?

Original review: June 25, 2018

First of all the hold to reach a representative is too long. They say fifteen minutes, you are on hold for thirty. It does not what time you call, early in the morning or in the evening. My issue is that my payments have been reversed for the past six months because my account info was incorrect. I never changed anything. I opened the account in 2016; what happened in January! This is very frustrating!

Original review: June 25, 2018

When I first had BB&T, I thought! It was great - Now not very much at all. They don't have your back with anything. I have lost money to them. CC on the ATM - Oh well??? Yes, card stuck in the ATM unit. I am told, “Well, nothing we can do.” Went to bank- filled out papers etc. Their customer service sticks altogether. Meaning, you have to talk to a minimum of 4 people to get to right place, after LONG LONG wait times. I am switching ASAP... DONE, I kept saying, now I will do it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I recently had to open an account for a small non-profit I volunteer for. When the bank opened the account they made a few errors. Instead of providing me with an account for my local group, they put me on access to see the entire organization's financial records, from all the regional offices. So, I had access to hundreds of different accounts. What a mistake! I had to call and tell them!

Then, not once but twice they sent me 2 different ATM cards which were supposed to be my account but who knows who the other ATM card linked to. I turned the first two back in (disposed of) and they said they would send me a new card, yet they once again sent out 2 ATM cards, different numbers. What a joke! Every single time I try to log in there's a issue which prevents it, their phone banking is always have issues too. When I do get thru, it takes 30 minutes to an hour to try and get person on the phone. They never recognize my SSN. It's just the most horrid bank ever and I will NEVER, EVER open an account here again.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Every time I call customer service, they give different information. They make every task a challenge even processing a simple loan payment. I have 2 loan accounts with them, and they frequently apply payments to the wrong account even with the account number included on the payment. They reversed the application of a payment with no notice, funds were available in the account used to process the payment, and then had them never to charge me a late charge. This is customer service at its finest!

Original review: June 4, 2018

The loan officer informed us before doing the application that we could not afford a home and we would be forever renters. My husband had an account that was a trust fund at this bank and wanted to use it for a down payment. We had to get the President of the downtown Hickory NC involved and got the mortgage and paid it off 6 years early.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I recently experienced an extraordinary event where my father was suddenly stricken with a serious health issue which ultimately took his life. I lost track of my checking account during his hospitalization which lasted from 05/07 until 05/31. During that time several charges caused my account to become negative, despite continuing weekly payroll deposits. For the amount of $872 I was charged $824 in interest. Though cleverly disguised as fees and charges specifically crafted to circumvent the law, it was clearly usury at a rate of nearly 100% on the outstanding funds. While the branch manager dutifully recited the bank’s policy, he refunded only $112. Criminal usury in Pennsylvania is defined as an interest rate greater than 25%.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Be very careful of BB&T's stated available account balance information shown online. I deposited cash into my account after 6pm. I logged in online that same evening and was shown an available balance that reflected the same cash deposit I had just made. My available balance was enough to cover upcoming transactions as well as a payment I decided to make to a BB&T credit card. I scheduled the transfer to my credit card (that wasn't yet due) because again, my available balance was enough to cover it.

The next day they slapped me with an overdraft fee as they said the order in which I had written checks, my made transfer and deposited the money gave me a negative balance. To me an available balance is money that is at my disposal and available for use. But yet the same available posted balance I saw online the night before, was somehow not enough to cover all my transactions, including the transfer I decided to make. The BB&T rep said it was the order in which their system processes that gave me a negative balance.

This contradicts the available balance I saw as "available" online the night before as it was enough to cover all pending activity. They managed to get an overdraft fee out of me for this and I believe Wells Fargo was involved in a class action lawsuit for this very same reason. In addition, I received a letter in the mail from a Client Care Resolution Senior Specialist regarding the situation and in the letter she states she tried to contact me on multiple occasions. I then called her on the phone, she said she tried to call me on my cell phone on a certain date to which she simply did not as I have no missed calls that day nor did I receive a voicemail from her. When I asked her why she didn't leave a message, she didn't have an answer.

Surely I can't be the only BB&T customer to have this experience. Simply stated, BB&T gives false available account information online and processes transactions to their benefit; taking advantage of their customers. I would close this account if possible, and transfer to Home Trust Bank, but unfortunately, am stuck for now.

Original review: May 22, 2018

It took me having to find the EVP for the region for me to get a call back from the branch manager - this was after calls and 2 emails - advising that I was closing my account. The attitude of the branch manager was dismissive. I would had stayed with them, notwithstanding their fees, had the branch manager cared to provide attention to their customer. Always have several bank accounts at different banks so you can easily switch. Most people stay with the same bank because it is difficult to switch if you have all "your eggs in one basket". Your most powerful weapon is having a diversity of banks so you can move. Also send letters and complaints to their managers, especially when they fail to get back to you. Employees are still rated on their customer service and enough complaints, or praises, gets them moved.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I Closed my Checking Account because of their $10 charge Minimum Balance Requirement! My Question/Concern is why does BB&T Charge a fee of $5 for a New Card? Now, I have a Savings Account but NO Card and paying BB&T for my Inconvenience. :( VERY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER. '(

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am an independent contractor who gets paid by personal check from a variety of clients, who bank at a variety of financial institutions. Whenever I cash checks at banks with which I do not have accounts, I simply provide multiple forms of ID...Wells Fargo even has me put my thumbprint on the check (smart). NO BANK ever charges me a fee to cash a check...EXCEPT BB&T.

Today they charged me $8 to cash a $278 check. This is outrageous and is nothing more than ROBBERY in my opinion. When I complained to the teller, she stared at me like a dead fish...didn’t say a word. I see BB&T has many many complaints against them. Hopefully they will fold soon and we will be rid of these parasites. Until then, I will be requiring my customers to add $8 to the amount they pay me if they bank at BB&T. Thanks a lot BB&T for faithfully serving the community and helping out the small business folks...NOT!! I would give this bank Zero stars if this website would allow me.

Original review: May 18, 2018

For years now BB&T has found any reason to charge overdraft fees. I have put up with this behavior because I thought these were the rules, but after having been hit up with OD fees too often now I decided to call and find out. I am going to deal with my last experience only as not to bore you all. I get disability so check is automatically deposited each month and my bills are all automatic payments. I check my account balance every day to make sure all is well. My auto payment is scheduled to be paid on the 17th of each month. I noticed that my account was short $7, so on 5/17/2018 I ran to the ATM after a procedure done that prevented me to get to the branch. I deposited $50 cash through their ATM at 9.25 p.m. Got my receipt which stated my available balance was $221.32 as of 9.25 pm 5/17/2018.

The next morning 5/18/2018 I received a low balance warning so I immediately checked my account. Mind you I was told cash deposits before midnight are immediately posted to your account. My account showed 167.20 (auto pmt) 5/17/2018 OD fee $36 posted 5/17/2018 deposit $50 pending 5/17/2018. I am on a very limited income and immediately called customer service. Their response, "You did not make your deposit at the branch before 6 pm." And because the computer refunded me an OD fee in April 2017 I did not qualify for a reversal because you are allowed 1 every 2 yrs, and they cannot override the computer's decision.

I waited for the branch to open and spoke to the branch manager who was more than rude. The explanation was, "Your car payment was processed on 5/17/2018 at 3:15 am and the deposit was made at 9:25 pm 5/17/2018." We argued back and forth but the computers made the decisions, so 3:15 am on the 17th they took the 167.20 and overdrew my account then the OD fee of $36 and the deposit CASH had not posted yet it was pending.

This has been done to me on many occasions and even though it's wrong the bank managers don't have authorization by the computer to refund you your OD fee and they really don't care either. I made calls to 5 different departments at BB&T and even one lady who handles complaints stated she would file a complaint for me but not to get my hopes up. Now I have reached the end and am going to open an account elsewhere and call all companies with automatic withdrawals as well as my disability check department to give them my new bank info.

I read a response from an employee at BB&T who replied to a complaint website post made by many consumers and stated the reason we are treated so poorly by BB&T employees is because working for BB&T is so stressful they just can't deal with the work policies and workload. WTF. Is that a good reason to rip us of and use that as an excuse to treat us as customers in a horrible way. If you are considering opening ANY account with BB&T think again because they will find a way to take your money.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Vendor dispute: I documented many times through letters and verification invoices I should not have been charged $900 from Nuisance Wildlife Rangers (Pest Control). Despite BB&T ruling in my favor for the credit, they refused because of elapsed time from the incident. I even wrote to the CEO. BBT - please if you are reading this, find a way to credit the $900 back.

Original review: May 10, 2018

When I bought a new car in 2017, I chose BB&T to do my auto loan. I was delighted with the service and a very user-friendly interface for the online and the bank app. Just this year, I decided to switch my bank because they were offering a better APR and there was no problem with that. My new bank notified me that I made an overpayment of $545.47 and probably should contact BB&T for a refund check. While getting no notification about an overpayment on BB&T I decided to call them. To my surprise they were aware of this issue. The first customer agent told me that they sent the check to my old address and I did apologize to them by not providing my current address. They said it was fine and that they will mail my check to the new address.

Everything sounds normal up to here but after three weeks of waiting I got nothing. I called them back and they said that the check was still not mailed out because if the refund check is over $300, a loan officer must verify it. I never heard of this nonsense before but I decided to go with it. I waited 3 more weeks and they told me that it's been mailed out and I should receive it within couple days. It has been two weeks now and I just called them back and they said the check was mailed out on the 18th of April and was in awe that I still didn't receive it. It has been 3 months now since I waited for this check and it seems like nobody tends to give a ** about customers after they switch banks. I do not and will not recommend BB&T to my friends or family because this is unbelievable. I will take my money elsewhere.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I decided to switch from BofA to BB&T for my merchant services as BB&T is an active Plano Chamber member and I wanted to do business with another Chamber member. After the first meeting with my "personal banker", she had me call to get my AMEX merchant ID so they could get it set up in their systems to be able to process payments. After several calls to them to find out why I wasn't able to process certain transactions, not just AMEX, I was told it was something with the other bank I was trying to charge to and I would have to contact them. Thankfully I hadn't shut my service off with BofA yet and tried them and payments went through with no issues. I tried to contact my personal banker many times and would not receive return calls and someone else in the bank would tell me to contact merchant services. I had to discontinue using BB&T due to these and other issues and went back to BofA where there were no issues.

I am very upset in the fact that due to their errors that I was still charged an early termination fee of $195. I cancelled my service with them in August of 2017 and just now in April of 2018 am receiving a bill for this $195 even though it's $100 less than they would normally charge, I don't feel I should be paying anything due to their issues and causing me to lose business. I never agreed that I would pay even the $195, but was repeatedly told that I signed their contract, so I owed it... As they didn't fulfill their end of the contract, I shouldn't owe anything. I guess this is how BB&T is making extra money for doing nothing but causing heartache to a small business owner.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The worst banking experience I have ever had and I have removed all my accounts from this bank. Most times I have entered the office to do banking, they don't know how to do the transaction and have to call for help. They offered me free checking, then 4 months later automatically started to charge me $30/month. I needed a payoff statement from them, it has been more than a week, still no payoff statement and it has delayed my closing. I called customer service to get help, they literally hung up on me when I said it was unacceptable not to get a payoff in a week. They need to be investigated for poor business practices. Stay far away.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Over the past few years that I’ve been with BB&T I’ve had nothing but displeasure. I’ll start from the beginning, around May of 2015 I opened my account with a woman named Jackie, very nice lady, she asked me if I wanted to be opted in to overdraft fees or not, I said, “No I didn’t want that” so I was supposedly opted out. I was also told that I would receive a debit card in the mail in 3-5 business days. 2 weeks go by and no card! I call the branch and they tell me she messed up my address, so they sent my debit card to the wrong address with money in my account because I deposited $50 or $100 when I started. If the wrong person would've got that, that would’ve been my money down the drain. Thankfully that didn’t happen.

So 3 days later I got the card, now let’s skip past a few months, BB&T’s way of charges being on the account is awful. It takes days of pending to post for some things whereas other things just show up one day posted. It can be tricky knowing how much you actually have available, So I made a mistake and got $10 in gas and I didn’t have it, my card didn’t decline so I thought nothing of it. I check my account the next day as always and boom, an overdraft fee. Call the bank and told them I got an overdraft fee when I have overdraft protection SUPPOSEDLY and they tell me that the lady who opened my account is no longer with them so they can’t verify with her BUT that she was very accurate so they don’t think she made an error.

I informed them on the debit card incident and asked how accurate she really was (the number was 59, she put something like 14 or along the lines of the two not sounding similar). So finally the lady tells me to come in and sign a document to opt me out and I asked if there were other options due to my job schedule and they said no, it has to be in person legally, said ok. I got there and signed it so phew no more worries! Right?! Wrong.

Skip to July 2017, BB&T took the same bill out two times which resulted in a negative balance which led to guess what?! ANOTHER OVERDRAFT FEE! Oh but not one! Not two! But three!!! Of them! $108 in total. Long story short on that situation it was found as bank error and I was credited back not only my 2nd bill and the $108 but also all the money being charged to my account from calling them! You have 2 free calls in a month and if you call a third time they charge you $2.00 a call and don’t tell you that! I was calling back because it took them 2 months to return all my money back to me, they kept claiming it would be there in 2 days and then it was 4 days and then it was tomorrow and so forth but at the end of the call they always said, “If it's not there by ___ give us a call back again!!!” I didn’t hear anywhere that said “if your money isn’t there by __ give us a call back but it’ll be $2.00”. Smh!

So needless to say I was extremely annoyed. I only kept the account further since the first scenario because of the job I had, they only offered direct deposit but at this point I’ve had it. I go down to PNC because I've heard they were fabulous so I apply for a bank account, I got denied. Now me only being in my early 20’s and BB&T being the only bank I've been at, I didn’t even know you could get denied for a bank account, I've always had great credit and I figured that’s what it would rely on, but nope, they said I could open a starter account with them but it would charge a high interest rate for 2 years because my bank credit was so bad and he explained due to all the overdraft fees I had, I couldn’t get approved. (Now you know I'm furious at this) Of course even explaining to him there wasn’t anything he could do. So I was stuck.

I started a new bank account with Simple, they have no fees or anything, I started only using BB&T to transfer funds. I was at peace with that and felt alright staying with them, until 3 days ago. Now this is April 2018, I got paid on Friday, I paid my bills with Simple but I put 3 through on BB&T because I needed to save some extra money on Simple and it has an option to do so, I check on Saturday, nothing posted just pending payments, I had an incoming transfer that’s supposed to have been cleared on Monday, so skip to Monday. I look at my account and I have -$240. Mind you my paychecks are not light, I put half in BB&T & half in Simple, I had near $500 in that account on Friday and $130 coming on Monday. Somehow BB&T has no record of my money transfer and it didn’t go through, so I received 3 overdraft fees totalling $108.

Completely baffled I call in, you won’t believe it! I have not been credited since the FIRST incident in 2015 because in 2017 they claimed it was such a “hassle” (FOR TWO MONTHS) because I hadn’t hit my 2 yr mark from credits yet apparently. It has now been over 2 yrs so I figured maybe they’ll have no problem reversing the 3 overdraft fees, I told them if they could please do so I would come and deposit the money in person instead of transferring it, they can’t waive it. Why? Because they claim in November of 2017 I was credited 8 FREAKING DOLLARS which used my credit for the next 2 yrs!!! Here's the thing! It gets better, I have no recollection of calling in November for $8. November 2017 was a very very hard year for us, we lost my boyfriend's grandmother who we’re living with, and he was away and had to miss her funeral. I didn’t have time to deal with the banks b.s. during November.

What I suggested to the very rude SUPERVISOR who was huffing and puffing every time we accidentally talked at the same time, I even apologized and let her speak, is that maybe I called because of some sort of issue and got phone call fees removed or something similar and she told me, “No. There was no way it was a partial overdraft fee credit”, I said to her, “Maam if I called in for an overdraft fee to be waived and they said only $8 will be given to me, I'm telling them to keep it. I get 1 credit for 2 years and I'm not wasting that credit on $8”. She escalated to research department and told me she couldn’t do anything and said they'll be in contact in 24-48 hrs. I was very upset.

Next day, 2 more overdraft fees. Get a supervisor again, she seemed nice at first, and then I started to notice she was not listening to what I was saying, only hearing. She talked the whole time and would not give me a chance to speak. I kept quiet and let her talk for a while, she started saying things that were incorrect so I tried to politely interrupt to correct her so she didn’t spend another 10 minutes explaining something with wrong information, she would not stop. So finally I said, after being so calm and patient because I too am from customer service I say to her sternly, “Ma'am please give me a minute to talk please” and she finally let me, then interrupts me to talk again and this time I talk over her and say, "Ma'am you are interrupting me when I asked for a moment to talk" and she says she’s ending the call and hangs up. Nice. I never cussed at her, used profanity, insulted her, or anything but be stern after being patient and nice. No warning, no nothing.

Now while we were on the phone I recorded the conversation and told her I was recording which she consented to, during our conversation she informed me the supervisor who claimed I was wrong and didn’t get a phone credit fee put in the notes it was a possible credit from a phone fee that an agent put in incorrectly and that’s why I'm having this huge problem. She also tells me I will not be receiving any more overdraft fees. At this point they are all current and up to date, and that it's not 24-48 hrs but 3-5 days to be contacted from the research department. Now today, (yeah I'm not done) I check my account once again after seeing in my email this morning I got 2 more overdraft fees, people we are up to 7 total overdraft fees. My bank account is at -$340 and that’s after adding $35 in.

Called back. Get another supervisor, tell her I'm recording and she tells me that she does not consent to me recording because of policy, I ask to see the policy and tells me I'm not allowed, she tells me the other supervisor shouldn’t have consented. I ask for a different supervisor as she tries to hang up on me, I get someone new. She told me she didn’t consent and I told her how bad of business that is because if they were doing nothing wrong in the first place and not giving out false and different information, why am I not allowed to record? They’re recording me!!!

So I ask if I could get the recording on their end sent to me, she says only if I get a lawyer to do so. Ridiculous. So whatever, continues the call and I explain to her how I have 8 items total and 7 overdraft fees but had almost $500 in the account beforehand. The difference is $130 which is what was being deposited. I could understand 2 fees but 7?! Get out of here. If they don’t do anything about this they’re going to get another headache from me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

BB&T restacked my debit card transactions to assess NSF fees. I watched and documented it as it was happening and finally called them out on it. I went back and forth with them via email and they have not admitted it and kept telling me it "could" be this, it "may" have been that, it is "possible" of that... I never got a straight answer from them as if they didn't know what to say. Finally I ordered a transaction report from their system and it shows all the transactions were in fact restacked and not in the order that they came in per BB&T online banking. Legal charges are now pending.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I opened an account in January and put in 50 dollars to open the account. Within days I tried to access the funds and they informed my account was "blocked" because my address could not be verified. I more than 5 times had to jump hoops to provide proof of my address, I could not get through customer service because my account was blocked and had to keep going to the branch, I gave my lease agreement, pay stub, credit card statement, utility bill, all of that to a teller in the branch for her to scan to the "fraud" department. Are you kidding me? I even provided them with their own bank statements that I received on the blocked account at the address they have on file.

How can I get their statements if I don't live where they mail them? One day I open one of the statements and they had charged me 12 maintenance fees on a blocked account that had never been used. Not only that but the teller I gave the documents so she could scan them to the "fraud" department quit and never sent any of the documents through... Just now 3 months later the account is finally unblocked and usable and I got the fees reversed but I cant get through customer service because I have the wrong pin. I never set up a pin to begin with... This bank specializes in blocking accounts, keeping your money hostage and charging fees, the customer service is nonexistent. Do yourself a favor and bank somewhere else!

Original review: April 13, 2018

My savings account was closed by the BB&T. This account was set up for my direct deposits. I went into the branch to find out my options. They advised me to open a checking account to make transfers from my savings and that would keep the saving account active. However; those transfers ended up closing the saving account because you cannot do 6 transactions per month from savings.

I was not aware of this information. I informed the branch manager that I have direct deposits that will be coming through that closed account. She told me to call the 24 hour customer service number and explain the issue. They told me to go back to the branch because they had no power to transfer money from a closed account to an opened account. I was bounced back and forth for 10 days and I was charged $2 for each call I made to customer service. I will be closing my account with BB&T as soon as possible. They are horrible in the way they treat customers.

Original review: April 10, 2018

What’s the point of setting up a bill pay & it comes out 5 days before it post on your account. So I set up a bill to be paid out of my account on Monday 04/09/18. That bill pay was then sent to pending on 04/05/18. I had a direct deposit set to come into my account within hours of setting up the bill pay. The next day I notice I was charged for an overdraft that had not even happened yet. Contacted the bank wondering how could I be charged for something that hasn’t even post yet. That bill wasn’t posted to my account until 4 days later. The bank then refuse to refund me the overdraft. I could see if I always get overdraft fees on my account but it’s only happened twice including this time since I’ve open the account.

I don’t understand the whole mobile device if your money don’t post accurately. The overdraft fee was posted way before the bill pay came out. I told the banker I was dissatisfied in how things were being handled. Even considered closing my account. They told me to make show all pending payments post and then come inside to close the account.

BB&T Company Information