1.10/5
Based on 104 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 19, 2018

658 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

I Closed my Checking Account because of their $10 charge Minimum Balance Requirement! My Question/Concern is why does BB&T Charge a fee of $5 for a New Card? Now, I have a Savings Account but NO Card and paying BB&T for my Inconvenience. :( VERY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER. '(

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am an independent contractor who gets paid by personal check from a variety of clients, who bank at a variety of financial institutions. Whenever I cash checks at banks with which I do not have accounts, I simply provide multiple forms of ID...Wells Fargo even has me put my thumbprint on the check (smart). NO BANK ever charges me a fee to cash a check...EXCEPT BB&T.

Today they charged me $8 to cash a $278 check. This is outrageous and is nothing more than ROBBERY in my opinion. When I complained to the teller, she stared at me like a dead fish...didn’t say a word. I see BB&T has many many complaints against them. Hopefully they will fold soon and we will be rid of these parasites. Until then, I will be requiring my customers to add $8 to the amount they pay me if they bank at BB&T. Thanks a lot BB&T for faithfully serving the community and helping out the small business folks...NOT!! I would give this bank Zero stars if this website would allow me.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

For years now BB&T has found any reason to charge overdraft fees. I have put up with this behavior because I thought these were the rules, but after having been hit up with OD fees too often now I decided to call and find out. I am going to deal with my last experience only as not to bore you all. I get disability so check is automatically deposited each month and my bills are all automatic payments. I check my account balance every day to make sure all is well. My auto payment is scheduled to be paid on the 17th of each month. I noticed that my account was short $7, so on 5/17/2018 I ran to the ATM after a procedure done that prevented me to get to the branch. I deposited $50 cash through their ATM at 9.25 p.m. Got my receipt which stated my available balance was $221.32 as of 9.25 pm 5/17/2018.

The next morning 5/18/2018 I received a low balance warning so I immediately checked my account. Mind you I was told cash deposits before midnight are immediately posted to your account. My account showed 167.20 (auto pmt) 5/17/2018 OD fee $36 posted 5/17/2018 deposit $50 pending 5/17/2018. I am on a very limited income and immediately called customer service. Their response, "You did not make your deposit at the branch before 6 pm." And because the computer refunded me an OD fee in April 2017 I did not qualify for a reversal because you are allowed 1 every 2 yrs, and they cannot override the computer's decision.

I waited for the branch to open and spoke to the branch manager who was more than rude. The explanation was, "Your car payment was processed on 5/17/2018 at 3:15 am and the deposit was made at 9:25 pm 5/17/2018." We argued back and forth but the computers made the decisions, so 3:15 am on the 17th they took the 167.20 and overdrew my account then the OD fee of $36 and the deposit CASH had not posted yet it was pending.

This has been done to me on many occasions and even though it's wrong the bank managers don't have authorization by the computer to refund you your OD fee and they really don't care either. I made calls to 5 different departments at BB&T and even one lady who handles complaints stated she would file a complaint for me but not to get my hopes up. Now I have reached the end and am going to open an account elsewhere and call all companies with automatic withdrawals as well as my disability check department to give them my new bank info.

I read a response from an employee at BB&T who replied to a complaint website post made by many consumers and stated the reason we are treated so poorly by BB&T employees is because working for BB&T is so stressful they just can't deal with the work policies and workload. WTF. Is that a good reason to rip us of and use that as an excuse to treat us as customers in a horrible way. If you are considering opening ANY account with BB&T think again because they will find a way to take your money.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Vendor dispute: I documented many times through letters and verification invoices I should not have been charged $900 from Nuisance Wildlife Rangers (Pest Control). Despite BB&T ruling in my favor for the credit, they refused because of elapsed time from the incident. I even wrote to the CEO. BBT - please if you are reading this, find a way to credit the $900 back.

Original review: May 10, 2018

When I bought a new car in 2017, I chose BB&T to do my auto loan. I was delighted with the service and a very user-friendly interface for the online and the bank app. Just this year, I decided to switch my bank because they were offering a better APR and there was no problem with that. My new bank notified me that I made an overpayment of $545.47 and probably should contact BB&T for a refund check. While getting no notification about an overpayment on BB&T I decided to call them. To my surprise they were aware of this issue. The first customer agent told me that they sent the check to my old address and I did apologize to them by not providing my current address. They said it was fine and that they will mail my check to the new address.

Everything sounds normal up to here but after three weeks of waiting I got nothing. I called them back and they said that the check was still not mailed out because if the refund check is over $300, a loan officer must verify it. I never heard of this nonsense before but I decided to go with it. I waited 3 more weeks and they told me that it's been mailed out and I should receive it within couple days. It has been two weeks now and I just called them back and they said the check was mailed out on the 18th of April and was in awe that I still didn't receive it. It has been 3 months now since I waited for this check and it seems like nobody tends to give a ** about customers after they switch banks. I do not and will not recommend BB&T to my friends or family because this is unbelievable. I will take my money elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: April 23, 2018

I decided to switch from BofA to BB&T for my merchant services as BB&T is an active Plano Chamber member and I wanted to do business with another Chamber member. After the first meeting with my "personal banker", she had me call to get my AMEX merchant ID so they could get it set up in their systems to be able to process payments. After several calls to them to find out why I wasn't able to process certain transactions, not just AMEX, I was told it was something with the other bank I was trying to charge to and I would have to contact them. Thankfully I hadn't shut my service off with BofA yet and tried them and payments went through with no issues. I tried to contact my personal banker many times and would not receive return calls and someone else in the bank would tell me to contact merchant services. I had to discontinue using BB&T due to these and other issues and went back to BofA where there were no issues.

I am very upset in the fact that due to their errors that I was still charged an early termination fee of $195. I cancelled my service with them in August of 2017 and just now in April of 2018 am receiving a bill for this $195 even though it's $100 less than they would normally charge, I don't feel I should be paying anything due to their issues and causing me to lose business. I never agreed that I would pay even the $195, but was repeatedly told that I signed their contract, so I owed it... As they didn't fulfill their end of the contract, I shouldn't owe anything. I guess this is how BB&T is making extra money for doing nothing but causing heartache to a small business owner.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The worst banking experience I have ever had and I have removed all my accounts from this bank. Most times I have entered the office to do banking, they don't know how to do the transaction and have to call for help. They offered me free checking, then 4 months later automatically started to charge me $30/month. I needed a payoff statement from them, it has been more than a week, still no payoff statement and it has delayed my closing. I called customer service to get help, they literally hung up on me when I said it was unacceptable not to get a payoff in a week. They need to be investigated for poor business practices. Stay far away.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Over the past few years that I’ve been with BB&T I’ve had nothing but displeasure. I’ll start from the beginning, around May of 2015 I opened my account with a woman named Jackie, very nice lady, she asked me if I wanted to be opted in to overdraft fees or not, I said, “No I didn’t want that” so I was supposedly opted out. I was also told that I would receive a debit card in the mail in 3-5 business days. 2 weeks go by and no card! I call the branch and they tell me she messed up my address, so they sent my debit card to the wrong address with money in my account because I deposited $50 or $100 when I started. If the wrong person would've got that, that would’ve been my money down the drain. Thankfully that didn’t happen.

So 3 days later I got the card, now let’s skip past a few months, BB&T’s way of charges being on the account is awful. It takes days of pending to post for some things whereas other things just show up one day posted. It can be tricky knowing how much you actually have available, So I made a mistake and got $10 in gas and I didn’t have it, my card didn’t decline so I thought nothing of it. I check my account the next day as always and boom, an overdraft fee. Call the bank and told them I got an overdraft fee when I have overdraft protection SUPPOSEDLY and they tell me that the lady who opened my account is no longer with them so they can’t verify with her BUT that she was very accurate so they don’t think she made an error.

I informed them on the debit card incident and asked how accurate she really was (the number was 59, she put something like 14 or along the lines of the two not sounding similar). So finally the lady tells me to come in and sign a document to opt me out and I asked if there were other options due to my job schedule and they said no, it has to be in person legally, said ok. I got there and signed it so phew no more worries! Right?! Wrong.

Skip to July 2017, BB&T took the same bill out two times which resulted in a negative balance which led to guess what?! ANOTHER OVERDRAFT FEE! Oh but not one! Not two! But three!!! Of them! $108 in total. Long story short on that situation it was found as bank error and I was credited back not only my 2nd bill and the $108 but also all the money being charged to my account from calling them! You have 2 free calls in a month and if you call a third time they charge you $2.00 a call and don’t tell you that! I was calling back because it took them 2 months to return all my money back to me, they kept claiming it would be there in 2 days and then it was 4 days and then it was tomorrow and so forth but at the end of the call they always said, “If it's not there by ___ give us a call back again!!!” I didn’t hear anywhere that said “if your money isn’t there by __ give us a call back but it’ll be $2.00”. Smh!

So needless to say I was extremely annoyed. I only kept the account further since the first scenario because of the job I had, they only offered direct deposit but at this point I’ve had it. I go down to PNC because I've heard they were fabulous so I apply for a bank account, I got denied. Now me only being in my early 20’s and BB&T being the only bank I've been at, I didn’t even know you could get denied for a bank account, I've always had great credit and I figured that’s what it would rely on, but nope, they said I could open a starter account with them but it would charge a high interest rate for 2 years because my bank credit was so bad and he explained due to all the overdraft fees I had, I couldn’t get approved. (Now you know I'm furious at this) Of course even explaining to him there wasn’t anything he could do. So I was stuck.

I started a new bank account with Simple, they have no fees or anything, I started only using BB&T to transfer funds. I was at peace with that and felt alright staying with them, until 3 days ago. Now this is April 2018, I got paid on Friday, I paid my bills with Simple but I put 3 through on BB&T because I needed to save some extra money on Simple and it has an option to do so, I check on Saturday, nothing posted just pending payments, I had an incoming transfer that’s supposed to have been cleared on Monday, so skip to Monday. I look at my account and I have -$240. Mind you my paychecks are not light, I put half in BB&T & half in Simple, I had near $500 in that account on Friday and $130 coming on Monday. Somehow BB&T has no record of my money transfer and it didn’t go through, so I received 3 overdraft fees totalling $108.

Completely baffled I call in, you won’t believe it! I have not been credited since the FIRST incident in 2015 because in 2017 they claimed it was such a “hassle” (FOR TWO MONTHS) because I hadn’t hit my 2 yr mark from credits yet apparently. It has now been over 2 yrs so I figured maybe they’ll have no problem reversing the 3 overdraft fees, I told them if they could please do so I would come and deposit the money in person instead of transferring it, they can’t waive it. Why? Because they claim in November of 2017 I was credited 8 FREAKING DOLLARS which used my credit for the next 2 yrs!!! Here's the thing! It gets better, I have no recollection of calling in November for $8. November 2017 was a very very hard year for us, we lost my boyfriend's grandmother who we’re living with, and he was away and had to miss her funeral. I didn’t have time to deal with the banks b.s. during November.

What I suggested to the very rude SUPERVISOR who was huffing and puffing every time we accidentally talked at the same time, I even apologized and let her speak, is that maybe I called because of some sort of issue and got phone call fees removed or something similar and she told me, “No. There was no way it was a partial overdraft fee credit”, I said to her, “Maam if I called in for an overdraft fee to be waived and they said only $8 will be given to me, I'm telling them to keep it. I get 1 credit for 2 years and I'm not wasting that credit on $8”. She escalated to research department and told me she couldn’t do anything and said they'll be in contact in 24-48 hrs. I was very upset.

Next day, 2 more overdraft fees. Get a supervisor again, she seemed nice at first, and then I started to notice she was not listening to what I was saying, only hearing. She talked the whole time and would not give me a chance to speak. I kept quiet and let her talk for a while, she started saying things that were incorrect so I tried to politely interrupt to correct her so she didn’t spend another 10 minutes explaining something with wrong information, she would not stop. So finally I said, after being so calm and patient because I too am from customer service I say to her sternly, “Ma'am please give me a minute to talk please” and she finally let me, then interrupts me to talk again and this time I talk over her and say, "Ma'am you are interrupting me when I asked for a moment to talk" and she says she’s ending the call and hangs up. Nice. I never cussed at her, used profanity, insulted her, or anything but be stern after being patient and nice. No warning, no nothing.

Now while we were on the phone I recorded the conversation and told her I was recording which she consented to, during our conversation she informed me the supervisor who claimed I was wrong and didn’t get a phone credit fee put in the notes it was a possible credit from a phone fee that an agent put in incorrectly and that’s why I'm having this huge problem. She also tells me I will not be receiving any more overdraft fees. At this point they are all current and up to date, and that it's not 24-48 hrs but 3-5 days to be contacted from the research department. Now today, (yeah I'm not done) I check my account once again after seeing in my email this morning I got 2 more overdraft fees, people we are up to 7 total overdraft fees. My bank account is at -$340 and that’s after adding $35 in.

Called back. Get another supervisor, tell her I'm recording and she tells me that she does not consent to me recording because of policy, I ask to see the policy and tells me I'm not allowed, she tells me the other supervisor shouldn’t have consented. I ask for a different supervisor as she tries to hang up on me, I get someone new. She told me she didn’t consent and I told her how bad of business that is because if they were doing nothing wrong in the first place and not giving out false and different information, why am I not allowed to record? They’re recording me!!!

So I ask if I could get the recording on their end sent to me, she says only if I get a lawyer to do so. Ridiculous. So whatever, continues the call and I explain to her how I have 8 items total and 7 overdraft fees but had almost $500 in the account beforehand. The difference is $130 which is what was being deposited. I could understand 2 fees but 7?! Get out of here. If they don’t do anything about this they’re going to get another headache from me.

Original review: April 19, 2018

BB&T restacked my debit card transactions to assess NSF fees. I watched and documented it as it was happening and finally called them out on it. I went back and forth with them via email and they have not admitted it and kept telling me it "could" be this, it "may" have been that, it is "possible" of that... I never got a straight answer from them as if they didn't know what to say. Finally I ordered a transaction report from their system and it shows all the transactions were in fact restacked and not in the order that they came in per BB&T online banking. Legal charges are now pending.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I opened an account in January and put in 50 dollars to open the account. Within days I tried to access the funds and they informed my account was "blocked" because my address could not be verified. I more than 5 times had to jump hoops to provide proof of my address, I could not get through customer service because my account was blocked and had to keep going to the branch, I gave my lease agreement, pay stub, credit card statement, utility bill, all of that to a teller in the branch for her to scan to the "fraud" department. Are you kidding me? I even provided them with their own bank statements that I received on the blocked account at the address they have on file.

How can I get their statements if I don't live where they mail them? One day I open one of the statements and they had charged me 12 maintenance fees on a blocked account that had never been used. Not only that but the teller I gave the documents so she could scan them to the "fraud" department quit and never sent any of the documents through... Just now 3 months later the account is finally unblocked and usable and I got the fees reversed but I cant get through customer service because I have the wrong pin. I never set up a pin to begin with... This bank specializes in blocking accounts, keeping your money hostage and charging fees, the customer service is nonexistent. Do yourself a favor and bank somewhere else!

Original review: April 13, 2018

My savings account was closed by the BB&T. This account was set up for my direct deposits. I went into the branch to find out my options. They advised me to open a checking account to make transfers from my savings and that would keep the saving account active. However; those transfers ended up closing the saving account because you cannot do 6 transactions per month from savings.

I was not aware of this information. I informed the branch manager that I have direct deposits that will be coming through that closed account. She told me to call the 24 hour customer service number and explain the issue. They told me to go back to the branch because they had no power to transfer money from a closed account to an opened account. I was bounced back and forth for 10 days and I was charged $2 for each call I made to customer service. I will be closing my account with BB&T as soon as possible. They are horrible in the way they treat customers.

Original review: April 10, 2018

What’s the point of setting up a bill pay & it comes out 5 days before it post on your account. So I set up a bill to be paid out of my account on Monday 04/09/18. That bill pay was then sent to pending on 04/05/18. I had a direct deposit set to come into my account within hours of setting up the bill pay. The next day I notice I was charged for an overdraft that had not even happened yet. Contacted the bank wondering how could I be charged for something that hasn’t even post yet. That bill wasn’t posted to my account until 4 days later. The bank then refuse to refund me the overdraft. I could see if I always get overdraft fees on my account but it’s only happened twice including this time since I’ve open the account.

I don’t understand the whole mobile device if your money don’t post accurately. The overdraft fee was posted way before the bill pay came out. I told the banker I was dissatisfied in how things were being handled. Even considered closing my account. They told me to make show all pending payments post and then come inside to close the account.

Original review: April 7, 2018

BB&T Construction To Perm Loan disaster - For a company the size of BB&T, not very well organized and extremely slow in their process and paperwork. Not friendly/helpful employees for the most part with a decent one here and there. My builder won't even use them on new jobs and will pass on the work.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I sent a Zelle payment the other day and I have sent and received multiple of them before. They have not put the money back into my account even after them sending me an email saying that it had failed. They have also locked me out from being able to see my online and mobile account. I can’t see my purchases and they won’t let me log in. When I went into a branch the guy I talked to was very rude. He told me that I needed to leave because he needed to call someone and I couldn’t listen? I have yet to receive a call or email telling me what I need to do. I DON'T recommend this bank. Go somewhere else. I now have to call and get an automated call and not able to get a person.

Original review: April 3, 2018 I have banked with BB&T since they bought out my previous bank, Bank of KY. I have never experienced the sneaky, dishonest, and immoral tricks that BB&T plays to get overdraft fees from their customers. Example one, my wife deposited $500 cash because BB&T is fully aware of when my direct deposit hits and ALWAYS keeps purchases in "pending" until the night before my check is deposited. This particular time, they had 5 purchases from the week prior still waiting to go through. Fine, we are on to the tricks so we deposit cash until my check hits. This time though, BB&T did something I've never seen them do before, a new lever of **. They took two charges that had ALREADY GONE THROUGH and charged them both again, hours after the cash deposit, in an effort to collect a fee.

Yes folks, these slimy ** double charged an already completed transaction and placed the second charge in "pending" status!!!

Another example, my 16 year old son started a savings account with a card attached to it. He opted OUT of the overdraft protection... just to receive a total of 3 overdrafts thus far. When we approach the bank, they come up with some cockamamie reason for the charge. They simply call it something else and steal $36, from a goddamn kid. Folks if you're looking for a bank, please heed my warning and the many others you'll find and stay, no, run as fast as you can away from BB&T. Not to mention the actual bank tellers in store are extremely rude and stupid. Trying to save a few shekels by hiring morons I guess. Go anywhere else, please.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I hate BB&T. This bank will make you want to make you lose all peace. Every week I've been getting a late and return fee even when Iknow for a fact I had the money in my account. It's taking them 22 days to post payments! Even when you used debit. For example I had a payment to sos.ga.gov for $50 on 3/20. On my bank status it says posted, I called this morning, the lady tell me that the payment is still pending and when it goes through it will be 2 freaking payments for $36, one for a late fee and the other for a return fee! Yes I'm pissed! Because this is gauging and stealing!

WHY in the hell the payment didn't already go through!!! It's April 2nd now! I feel like something is wrong because this has happened at least 3 or 4 times to me since January and I know for a fact I don't use my card unless I have the money on it. BB&T IS THE WORST BANK TO EVER BANK WITH! A lawsuit will come soon because it has to be some sort being done with this bank!

Original review: March 28, 2018

OMGoodness. These guys are a rip off. I'd post a -10 star rating if I could. I understand amortization, reverse amortization and yada yada yada... But this is terrible. I won't get into too many specifics, but they make it HARD to make a large payment on your car loan. Then you can only make a certain # of payments in a certain time frame. What? I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY. HA! So I call the phone # to speak w/ someone, on hold for 27 min... "Nope, sorry sir, you'll need to mail in your payment." WHAT!!?? So I mail in a payment, which isn't due now for another 4 months with a check specifically stating to post on my principal balance only. So I check my account a few days later, yep. They charged me more interest! Hahaha! Never again with these clowns. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 27, 2018

So I recently applied for BB&T Visa CC. I transferred two balance, 1) 6K 2) 4. Total $10K. So I get my new card and guess what the credit limit was. RIGHT. $10k... Card is virtually useless. I begin to be embarrassed at stores who are declining my card. So I contact "my banker" and ask them to increase my credit limit by 1 or 2 thousand dollars, I think that is a reasonable request... They proceed to do a "hard credit inquiry" which has lowered my credit rating (thanks BB&T).

So this is a bank that has known me for 20 years, I have two checking accounts, a line of credit I can use up to $3k and they refuse to increase the card limit because I have one had it for 1 month. I get it, but if you are going to issue a Visa CC to pay off balances, wouldn't it just make sense to enable the customer to use of card! Did I mention that they have known me for 20 years, starting the Raleigh, NC and because I was loyal, I thought I would maintain our mutual relationship. Did I mention that BOTH Equifax and TransUnion rate my credit EXCELLENT. This is nothing but a small time bank that could care less about their customers. I will be moving all of my account to CHASE or BOA, BB&T Sucks!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I was assessed an overdraft fee due to a pending item that would result in an overdraft when posted. Ex. 2/18 $100 posted balance. 2/19 $75 posted item + $36 overdraft fee for a pending item that has not yet posted (-11). 2/20 pending item posted $30 + overdraft fee for same item that put me in the negative to begin with. Can you say double Jeopardy? When I asked, “What if the pending item never posted would you refund me the fees”, The response was, “No.”

Original review: March 24, 2018

Bank likes to set 'due dates' for payments on dates that they will not accept payment. They are fond of setting Sunday due dates when the closest day payment can actually be made is 2 days prior (Friday). So you can make a payment the day before the due date (a Saturday) and they will still collect a late fee from that customer who actually paid 24 hours BEFORE the payment was due. This seems shady - done on purpose to collect 'late' fees from people who made their payments before the due date.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They hold onto certain transactions to cause you to overdraft. Some take a week to come out, others a mere few minutes. I really DO NOT understand them. They scammed me out of 242 dollars. Thank you so much but I will be taking my business elsewhere. I keep opting out so I don't get overdraft and surprise surprise I'm always opted back in to let them pick and choose what to let overdraft my account.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had this bank from October 2017 until February 2018, and it was the worst experience. Between my account stating I had “x” dollars, but really not having any, being accused of fraud, and having to deal with RUDE customer service, it was an awful experience. They closed my account without consent, even though it being overdrawn WAS NOT MY FAULT. I will NEVER recommend this bank to anyone!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been with BB&T Bank of Southlake, 270 Kimbell Blvd. Texas for only 2 months. I applied with them in February of 2018. The initial guy that open my account was very pleasant and nice. I was excited to get started. However that is not his normal branch. Two weeks of having my bank account open $60 came up missing out of my account overnight. I received a message from the bank saying that there was some type of glitch in the system and that everything will be corrected. However that never happened. Two more weeks went past and another $109 came up missing out of my account. I immediately went to the branch office to sit down to try to figure out what is going on. The guy that assisted me his name is ** he was very impatient and didn't seem to know what he was doing. He called a lady named ** in the back office. ** was very rude and could not give me an explanation over the phone as to why my funds were missing.

Today March the 20th $34.44 more is missing out of my account. I went into the branch today to talk to ** to figure out why. ** could not give me an explanation. Instead he secretly emailed ** while I was sitting at the desk speaking with him. ** calls and demands that the call be put on the speakerphone. I tried to go over with them to see what was going on with my account. I said if things don't get figured out I will be filing a suit. ** panic and said, "I will be shutting your account down immediately. Your services are no longer wanted here and I can exercise that right." ** told me I had 10 days to get my money out of her bank account and she told me to leave that branch immediately.

First of all I have never ever in my life had a bank tell me this. It seems to me as if though they have something to hide. I am an ** lady. I feel like I was racially discriminated against as well as violated. And my moneys are still missing. I need help. This branch has been so unprofessional and each time I walk into the bank they make me feel unwanted. As a ** I am not trying to pull the race card but it is what it is in this situation. Very unprofessional and they do steal your money.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Had wind damage to our home March 3 and got the adjuster to come out and look at the home. Received the check on 3-19, took it to the bank and they said they couldn't cash it because we were due on our mortgage. The people that done the work was waiting on their money and now they won't get paid. I told them to just take the payment out of the check. They said they couldn't do that. BB&T is terrible. Wish we could go somewhere else.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My wife and I are customers of BB&T. We have direct deposit every month that amounts over 10000 dollars. Our credit scores are good and our accounts are always paid on time. I'm so disappointed that every time I go to get a loan from my bank I have to get it elsewhere. This to me is not building any relationship with the customer. We have 3 car loans, a mortgage, and 2 personal loans. None of which are through this bank. It's for these reasons we will be looking for another bank especially with my growing company to use. Again just such severe disappointment that this bank can't help a loyal and always current customer. Just not a good bank!

Original review: March 9, 2018

First I keep a ledger of my account balance. I also have the BB&T online so I can see my balance and pending transactions which coincide with my ledger. I had a positive balance. I went to the store, used my debit card twice and looked at my new balance which was accurate. Next day I went to the bank and used my card for gas; next morning I wake up and see I'm negative $166 and I was charge $36.00 overdraft fee 4 times. I went to the branch met with the Branch Manager. He said he investigated it and the vendor had put my transactions through but then backed it out which caused my account to be negative but then ran the same transactions again.

This is not something as a customer we can see on our transactions. It only shows pending and the balance is accurate. So why should I have to be hit with fees when it was already calculated out of my positive balance. I live pay check to pay check and now I'm in a tight financial position because BB&T will not accommodate the customer. I'm moving my account and will be spreading the word to as many people as possible to not bank here. I work in the Financial business myself and have never seen this type of funny business and cheating people out of money. I will go to the Corporate Office and discuss these tactics further. My $166.00 means a lot to me. I work hard for my money; not to just give it away due to scams like this.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My 18 year old daughter had thought she misplaced her ATM card so she borrows her mom's who was on her account as she is primary on our account and our kids as secondary. She notified BB&T when she realized the misplaced card was stolen and being used. l or a duplicate was being used. Then she starts getting charges NSF charges on the fraudulent withdrawals. She makes minimum wage at Zaxby’s and works 22 - 30 hrs per week. She now owes BB&T close to $2200.00 for the fraud and NSF as BB&T denied the fraud claim, because they think she had something to do with it.

They don’t have proof and they didn’t lock down her account when she notified them. They continued to let it remain and kept charging $35.00 NSF charges that they refuse to waive. This organization is terrible and we have banked with them for 18 years including a mortgage. Adios to you thiefs at BB&T. Your fraud dept is useless and your customer service is just as bad. Hire investigators that work and not someone that just threatens them client/victims.

Original review: March 5, 2018

On February 22nd, 2018, the bank lost outage and left customer out dry until the February 27,2018. Due to some technical online issue, the bank cards, ATMs, and even deposits were not submitted. My IRS check was sent to my account February 22, 2018 and today is March 5, 2018. I’ve called this bank over 50 times, sent every form possible, confirmed the amount just to be informed we can’t do nothing about that yet have they already apologize to every customer about the outage that lasted 4 days but my money not being in my account but in space is not there fault. I’m facing eviction and nothing has been confirmed to me by this bank. I feel used, betrayed, disrespected for me to put my trust into a company and receive nothing, no sense of ownership taking to resolve a matter which was not dictated by me.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We have been having an issue with them holding certain transactions and not others to what seems like cause NSF fees and from reading other reviews, we aren't the only people having this issue. It seems to be their #1 complaint from consumers. That they are absolute thieves. They just had this huge system crash and nobody could see their accounts for days. They said they were working to restore everyone's accounts and make things right so, let's go over how they made things right for me. We have 2 checking accounts. One that rarely ever gets used and the other as our primary. Well, during this process, the one that never gets used (we don't even have a card tied to it) had about 20 different balances over a 4 day period. Which we knew they were having the issues they were having so we thought, “Hey, give them a chance to fix it and no worries right?” WRONG.

I'm currently setting at a $-734 balance in a checking account that we don't even really use. I got 3 NSF fees for $100+ a piece. Now, if I had went wild and blown my money, ok I earned that but that couldn't be further from the truth. Moral of the story is, BB&T are absolute crooks and do some very shady stuff with your money to make sure you have to pay them fees. I'd rather go to Wells Fargo and have my identity stolen than pay these jokers thousands of dollars just because it's amusing to them. Do not use BB&T if you enjoy keeping the money you work for. I urge everyone to find another bank. They are awful and unwilling to make their mistakes right.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm still dealing with the aftermath of this "collapse" and today I'm in the negative when I deposited money on Thursday? Money transactions missing from my account then reappearing days later. Today customer service claims they cannot remedy the situation bc on their end the deposit wasn't in there yesterday, it's scheduled for Monday, then try to blame the vendor. Yeah a decade of loyal service in leaving today. @BB&T just lost another customer and will be reported to the BBB and whomever else needs to know.

BB&T Company Information