Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

BB&T Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: April 16, 2020

I have been a BB&T account holder for a few years now, and one of their policies is to only reverse 1 overdraft fee every 2 years I believe. In the very beginning of the pandemic before the economic shutdown, I had an auto pay bill go through while waiting for a paycheck that never came. Knowing it wouldn't be reversed, I just ate the loss. But then my wife and I were both laid off of our jobs, and my side business fell flat. After having 2 overdrafts come out of my account this week, due to recurring bill payments, I decided to call and see what support I could get knowing that even if they reversed those 2 fees, the bill payments would still have my account in the negative.

While hold times were long, the service I received exceeded my expectations! After talking to a representative and then waiting for approval, he got back on the line to let me know that they were going to reverse my last 5 overdraft fees! Money has been tight since the beginning of the year and we have had many setbacks. But BB&T support went above and beyond what I was even hoping for. By reversing additional past fees, they managed to bring my account back to positive, which provided me with a little extra spending money for groceries to feed my family!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I was an existing customer, so I expected some streamlining of the process, since they had all my data. Wrong! Even though I was taking a second loan of the same type, with an excellent record, etc., the loan process was long and tedious. The cheerful "apply online" link was misleading. If I had known all that upfront, I would have gone with a more online-only presence.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

On February 3 2020, I had a bad experience at BB&T, Volvo Pkwy Chesapeake, VA. Because I am familiar with BB&T banking policies, I decided to try the BB&T on Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA. When I entered, I signed in and took a seat. The customer service representative was helping two clients and informed me that she would be right with me.

Once she (Brianna) finished, she greeted me and exhibited impeccable customer service. While helping me, the bank manager, Glenda, came out to greet me and provide additional information. As Brianna continued to help, she needed assistance, and Max made himself available. I was able to open my business account, receive information and the customer service was phenomenal. They were very thorough, patient and professional as they assisted me. In addition, I received follow up calls to ensure that everything was okay. I applaud their efforts to care about the customers and provide professional customer service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I have been banking with BB&T for almost 20 years. Every branch I have dealt with has always provided excellent customer service and employees who have gone above and beyond to help to me out in several emergency situations. I have used the online service since its inception. It is very user friendly and simple to navigate. When changes or updates have occurred, instructions are posted to assist with the transition. I highly recommend this bank and its online services.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I was grandfathered into this bank as it bought out my original one years ago. I have had good service but when I needed a loan or info in financing for my first home, I was not able to get support. I stayed as my direct deposit from my former job was attached and didn't want to go through the process to change. Again, I am sure they give good service to their customers but for me I use them for only some of my banking needs.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had troubles with this Bank from the start I used them for some banking needs. But I will not say this for every banker in their organization, however for the majority I ran into they are very judgemental and discriminatory. If your skin tone is not of a lighter tone then you are question about your profession as well as any other business you may handle inside certain branches.

I recently had an encounter in one of the branches within high point NC. I will tell you I have never experience so much what came off as racial discrimination as well as left with the feeling of being belittled. Because of a business loan that came through my personal account I was questioned about that which was ok but for a person to question pretty much your ability to have a company and also flag an account to be placed on hold while calling you a scammer all at the same time I find that a bit much. So I will tell you I am currently reporting the organization as a whole to the federal reserve as well as looking into a lawyer, especially that I have the conversation with me and the banker saved. Is there any input with this review.

Original review: June 8, 2020

BB&T is the most insensitive bank I've ever done business with. It's the middle of a Global Pandemic, and I'm out of a job. I haven't worked in now 3 months. I cleared up the negative balance in my checking account, and they even refunded me fees. The next day they sent through another fee, and closed my account and locked me out of the online platform. I had no idea what was going on... No warning, no indication from the client services rep I'd spoken to a few days earlier. 45 million Americans are out of jobs since the Pandemic started. You would THINK they'd have something in place to help customers. They literally gave me fees back and then charged them again then next day! I received no email, phone call or anything letting me know the status of my account. PEOPLE make up the banking system... Working class people! Maybe they'll be better as Truist, but I doubt it!!!

Original review: May 28, 2020

BB&T is the worse bank ever, they hold your own money for I don't know what reason at all. Then when you call them you talk to different people and they act like they don't know what's going on.. I wouldn't recommend this bank to no one not even cats and dogs. I'm surprise they still in business.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I recently closed my account with BB&T bank due to their lack of customer service and their unwillingness to accommodate their customers, especially during this pandemic. I had well over 6 figures in their bank and I needed to send a wire transfer to a title company. When I called them to do the wire transfer for me, they said I would have to come to their drive thru in order to process the transfer.

I called on more than one occasion and my request was relayed to their supervisor, but they dug in their heels and said, unfortunately there was no other way we could do a wire transfer other than you coming to the drive thru. I called another bank that I only kept a minimum amount in and asked if they could help me with a wire transfer. They said sure, we will have to confirm your identity first, which they did by asking me several personal questions, then sent me a link to upload my current driver's lic. Within two hours the title company had my earnest money deposit without my leaving my home. I then transferred my 6 figure account to the bank that was willing to accommodate their customers.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Be very careful in dealing with this bank. You can't believe any assurances the staff at the Fairhope, Alabama branch gives you. Their misrepresentations cost me about $30,000. If you would like details, you may email me at ** or call me at **. Again, beware of this outfit.

BB&T Company Information