Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

BB&T Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

On February 3 2020, I had a bad experience at BB&T, Volvo Pkwy Chesapeake, VA. Because I am familiar with BB&T banking policies, I decided to try the BB&T on Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA. When I entered, I signed in and took a seat. The customer service representative was helping two clients and informed me that she would be right with me.

Once she (Brianna) finished, she greeted me and exhibited impeccable customer service. While helping me, the bank manager, Glenda, came out to greet me and provide additional information. As Brianna continued to help, she needed assistance, and Max made himself available. I was able to open my business account, receive information and the customer service was phenomenal. They were very thorough, patient and professional as they assisted me. In addition, I received follow up calls to ensure that everything was okay. I applaud their efforts to care about the customers and provide professional customer service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I have been banking with BB&T for almost 20 years. Every branch I have dealt with has always provided excellent customer service and employees who have gone above and beyond to help to me out in several emergency situations. I have used the online service since its inception. It is very user friendly and simple to navigate. When changes or updates have occurred, instructions are posted to assist with the transition. I highly recommend this bank and its online services.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I was grandfathered into this bank as it bought out my original one years ago. I have had good service but when I needed a loan or info in financing for my first home, I was not able to get support. I stayed as my direct deposit from my former job was attached and didn't want to go through the process to change. Again, I am sure they give good service to their customers but for me I use them for only some of my banking needs.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am writing to describe the outstanding customer service given to my brother by BB&T Branch Banker Team Leader, Safiya **, at the Huntingdon Valley office in Pennsylvania during four visits over the past three months. My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury six months ago and continues to have memory lapses and periods of confusion. He required a great deal of time to untangle his complicated banking situation that had gone unattended for months while hospitalized. That time was provided at each visit in the Huntingdon Valley BB&T Branch Office until all questions were answered and the issue resolved. My brother needed banking instructions to be written and repeated multiple times. He also required repeated demonstrations to access his account using his phone.

The willingness to assist, the patience and clear instructions provided by Ms. ** were exceptional. I witnessed customer service at its best during each encounter and was so grateful for it. I have been a nurse for 43 years and did not expect to find one of the most compassionate providers behind a desk in a bank. I would highly recommend doing banking business at this location!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bank with the St. Augustine Beach Branch. Donna **, Linda **, Torrie & Gina are the best team of professionals I’ve ever dealt with. They each acknowledge you as you come in and take care of you asap. I understand BBT is merging with Sunbank which we had the opposite experience with and moved all our money out of. BB&T in St. Augustine is the Best!!! I hope merging with Sunbank doesn’t alter that, or maybe Sunbank can Learn from BB&T. Just Ask the St. Augustine team, they got it down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I've banked with BB&T Twice over the years and regretted it both times. I had an account with the one in Tabor City NC/Loris SC and they were always compounding fees for small overdrafts or mistakes quickly reaching $300+ in just fees over a small $2 transaction. Their Balances are never correct especially at the ATMs, I checked my balance at an ATM once, print out and all. Was expecting a deposit to hit and based upon the balance it looks like it did, I had no reason to think otherwise... Lo and behold after spending said balance I was in the negative with the fees again, I brought in the printout from the ATM to dispute and they basically told me that I cannot believe what the ATM says!!!! WHAT!?

More recently in 2015 I opened an Business account in a TN branch and the people were nice but again with the crazy fees. I paid them several times until the last straw, I had a small unauthorized transaction of like $5 that overdrew me. The transaction was fraudulent from PayPal, I disputed it and asked them to freeze my account, they told me they couldn't, instead they again compounded the fees to #00 something dollars.

They told me I would receive a dispute letter in the mail, to wait on it and they would refund the fees. Letter never came, couldn't use my account so I opened one with US Bank, never had an issue US Bank ever since, never looked back... Another experience with a relative of mine that has an account with BB&T with an large amount of money in it, we go to get $18,000 to purchase a car and they didn't even have that amount of cash available, we had to go to two different branches for a measly 18k out of an 6 figure account. A BANK WITH NO MONEY.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

My church has banked with BB&T since 2015. I have always received impeccable customer service until Monday, February 3, 2020. I started my own business and went to BB&T, Volvo Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA to open an account. There were a few people in line and once I told the teller what I needed, she asked me to have a seat. There were no representatives sitting at the desks; however, I could see three representatives in an office talking.

After 10 minutes, I asked another teller if the representatives were in a training and if I should return. She replied that they were talking and she would notify them that I was there to open a business account. She did as promised; however, no one asked me to wait or informed me of how much longer they would continue talking. By this time 20 minutes has passed and I decided to leave. As I am walking out the door, one of the representatives who was talking with the other individuals called out to me, "Ma'am, ma'am." I decided to leave because after 20 minutes, someone could have recognized that I was waiting for a representative and could have assisted me. I have 38 years in the customer service field and this was totally unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

BB&T is a super bad bank. I have bad experience with them. 1) I recently called them to dispute fraud charge, their customer service never unable to reach a "REAL" person who can speak with you. 2) I have to get phone number of customer service thru their health insurance department. (I contacted health insurance department before, I have their phone# in the email). 3) They refused to talk fraud charge over the phone, need to go to branch. 4) I just got a call. They told me, "We cannot refund you for the fraud charge because time is over," I have been charged 450 fraud charge, that is the money I work hard to earn, why not able to refund me? I never see such a bad bank, I have Bank of America. Chase bank, Discover bank cards, they ALL refund me if they are fraud charge. So DO NOT USE BB&T anymore!!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I don’t know what’s going on with them, but they have become not very pleasant to deal with and very not very gracious. Honestly, I hate leaving reviews but it just makes me sad. Of course, I’ll be changing banks but I’m not happy about it. I don’t like to switch things like banks, insurance companies, or whatever. If I’m happy with them, I’ll stay and pay a little above sometimes just because I and every other consumer, need you as much you need us. No matter how busy it was, for myself I was always treated with kindness and respect. But one phone call changed everything. I called about a problem I had and didn’t understand something that was happening that had never happened before and I needed help. Well, I didn’t get help, I got hostility. And that’s why I feel kind of sad; it’s like getting a really bad meal at your favorite restaurant.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Opened an account online and switched Direct Deposit. BB&T totalled my purchases for the day my Direct Deposit should have deposited and charged me fraudulent fees by PROACTIVELY, A DAY BEFORE, charging me overdraft fees causing a tidal wave of smaller transactions to result in additional overdraft fees. WTH? I was shocked when I saw my online account. Trying to negotiate down to 1 overdraft and 1 negative balance fee due to direct deposit did not go into the account as planned. They are adamant that I owe them $177.00 (after they reimbursed 2 overdrafts already) when it should only be 108.00 and imo I'm being very generous and fair. Also, took 3 days for one transaction to post, most others 2 days. Needless to say Good Riddance BB&T. I was switching to you to have a local branch to work with but after this experience I switched to Capital One.

Not sure about BB&T?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

BB&T Company Information