1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

718 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Ok so went to use my bank card and declined. Called 800# and they said acct closed. They said I ordered a new bank card. I laughed said, "** really?" I said, "No I didn’t." 2x this has happened. Also I can’t drive anymore. Too sick. I have ID but it’s expired. The wench put a note on computer not to let me get any money out till I get new ID. Well kinda hard because I’m really sick and I can’t take bus and can’t stand in line. They don’t care. So now I’m waiting on new card to come that I again did not order and I have no food and I need to get dog food but they don’t care. Think I'mma call headquarters.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

BB&T charges you a overdraft fee if your account goes into the negative for a pending transaction and then charges you a second overdraft fee once the pending transaction post. So they are charging you twice for the transaction and then giving you two overdraft fees. When you try to talk to a representative they act like they don’t understand it all.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

All employees on this bank is no experience and if you need cash a check you have to wait 40 minutes and if you request a code he send it to you after 2 hours. Keep your money in your pocket is better for you so please stay away from headache.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am more than upset and this is one Bank I am never going to stop filing about. I will file ten years from now. I had a direct deposit from work which usually goes into account Thursday evening and posts on Friday. Two days after my deposit I started paying bills and never once went over my deposited amount. I got overdrafts fees totaling over $400 $144 on one day $144, the next day $36 plus $36 the day after that. When I called for answers and went into the branch I was lied to. Told to come back the next day. The next day I went back the bank was closing for good moving furniture out.

I went to another branch and they told me I couldn't dispute the fees because I didn't wait until my direct deposit cleared. Never have I heard of a DIRECT DEPOSIT HAVING TO CLEAR. Along with the fact they waived one fee and three different branches told me three different things. So all branches run their own way? I had a plan for the holidays for my kids and they took half of my next check when I don't even owe them money. They robbed me. Took away from my kids and I paid all my bills two months out to be able to have this freedom they stole from us. I'm not giving up. I'll report them every single week.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Our house burned down two years ago. We had insurance through the bank. Insurance has cut us two checks. Which were both lost. The last one we even endorsed at our local bank. And they still lost it. Tried to foreclose on our house and the check is more than enough to cover what's owed. Been over two years and my wife and I and two kids are still homeless. Don't know what to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

13 yrs. & 4 months on a interest only loan & a beginning balance of $54,200 is now $52,059.13. Interest paid in that time. $26,174.13 missing 2006, 2017, & 2018. I searched about what the time length is on a interest only loan & it is about 5 yrs. I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been seeing the fraudulent trial credit and debit in my account from different people several times. After he/she checked that my account is valid, they withdrew money out from my account. BBT should stop this type of transaction and arrest those people. My bank is Bank of America. Unfortunately, Bank of America could not do anything for us. It is a very bad scam.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My mortgage was sold to BB&T bank a few years ago, I haven’t had a lot of issues with them until this year, but they have sure made up for it. At the end of 2017 I changed my insurance company, I notified BB&T in writing like I was told to do. In February I got a notice from BB&T saying I owed another 3200 in my escrow, it took 6 months of fighting with them just to find out that they had paid both insurance companies instead of just the new one. It is now November and I have talked to multiple people at the bank and got nothing but lies from them, saying I missed a payment over this insurance deal, I have sent copies of all of my checks for the entire year and just get ignored. This is the most dishonest bank I have ever seen in my life, if you have a mortgage with them, change banks if you can.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I recently sold a house in Georgia because I was moving to Arizona. I was in communications with my local banker at BB&T throughout the process and told him we were moving to Arizona and would be buying a new home. When the Georgia house was sold, the proceeds (nearly $100K) was wired into my BB&T account without any problems. The problems arose when I tried to buy a home in Arizona. BB&T would not allow me to wire money out of my account unless I appeared at a branch in person. I offered to get an authorization letter they required notarized at a new bank, but they wanted to see my face. The closest BB&T branch to Arizona is in Dallas, TX.

They would not allow me to transfer more than $20K per 30-days from one account to another (the market is hot here, we found a home very quickly and needed to close within 30 days). I needed over $50K for downpayment and closing costs. They offered to mail me checks (I never got checks when I opened the account) and promised they would arrive by Wednesday or Thursday the week before our closing. My new bank said that if I deposited a personal check on Thursday (one week before closing) they would release the funds as long as BB&T would verify the funds were in the account. It is now end of day Thursday and the checks have not been delivered.

The amount of stress this bank has caused is ridiculous. If I have to fly to a branch next week it will cost $700-1000 for the flight, plus $30 to wire the money out of BB&T to my new bank. That doesn't include the other travel expenses (airport parking or Uber rides, hotel stay for one night, any food I might buy, etc.). That means it will cost me around $1000 to get my own money out of my own account to purchase a new home. I find that unacceptable. They didn't do anything to earn the money, why are they allowed to hold it hostage?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Had the same account for almost 30 years from First Virginia to Farmers and now BB&T. Stuck with them through some rough patches like when they sold my mortgage THEN they started charging me a service fee on my checking account because I didn't have a mortgage with them, the day of infamy last spring when nobody had access to their money (that made national news). But the final straw was them putting a 10 day hold on a check I desperately needed because it was "unusual activity". WTF!? Did you just accuse me of criminal activity???

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I've been banking with BB&T for some years now and I am very disappointed at the fact that the atm at Boone trail location in Fayetteville NC is always broken. It's been a real pain as to this place is close to my home and anytime I go to deposit check or cash or get funds out it's broken. I am surrounded by other banks First Citizens, Wells Fargo as to which I am seriously thinking about switching. Please fix this problem.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Excessive charges when calling off hours for questions concerning transactions. Also customer service at Adamstown branch is pitiful. Plus always denied for a loan or cc. This bank is nothing more than a political bank for millionaires. They have no respect for the low end customers. Every time you call to question a transaction they come up with answers unrelated to the issues at hand. Claim they dispute issues concerning the customer when in fact it never left the office. Now they tell customers to leave and find another bank. Unfortunately when you have SSID and pension automatically deposit it's hard to do that. However I rate this bank the worst I have ever had. I statement is BB&T stop buying out banks 'cause you ** them all up. It was better when it was Susquehanna 'cause they work with the customer.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

BB&T loan department is the WORST!! Went to the bank on a Saturday to apply. Got a phone call EVERY DAY to get more info from us. My husband & I have been banking with them for 15 years...he's been with them 27 years. Today (Fri) they call to say we've been denied & proceed to explain why. I cut the woman off & said no need to explain, my husband called USAA & we got approval already...SAME DAY TOO!! Then told her they were a joke & that we would NEVER refer anyone to them. Let me mention that this woman also called me today to get info that we gave to her on SATURDAY!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This bank is the worst. I work in the business and help people get loans all the time. I have worked with many different lenders. This one is the worst. They do not properly pre-qualify buyers, employees rarely answer their phones, horrible follow-up and ultimate lack of performance will cause your transaction to fail, at your expense. Stay Away!!! Go to your local lender and avoid Big Banks especially BBT and Bank of America. They are the worst! Can't say it enough.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I never write reviews but BB&T is the worst bank ever. Please do not bank with BB&T. This is a fraud banking company. They charged me $72 for being overdrafted $23. They claim they can only waive one fee every two years. There were fraudulent charges on my account and they allowed the charges to go through even though my account was already in the negative and charges me a $144 overdrafted fee and I had to wait until charges clear to be refunded. They then declined my dispute and refuse to give me my money back. Took two months to be refunded. If your account is $75 overdrafted they will not allow any charges to be made on the account but if it’s $100 or more overdrafted they allow charges to go through on your account to charge more overdrafted fees. This bank is terrible and the customer service sucks. I will be leaving BB&T I have never experienced the amount of disappointment with a bank that I have with BB&T.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

BB&T has shut down my card every time I've turned around. Last night after running out of gas on I 75 I walked to gas station to get gas. You needed cash for deposit to get gas can! So I went to ATM my card won't work. I walked to a BB&T bank there ATM rejects card. After calling the bank no answers or can't help is all I got. I ended up sleeping if you can call it that in my car on a 38 degree night Just to wake go to work by foot. Call BB&T 3 banks could not understand the code used to turn off card was no help. I called complaint department was told they would file a form and someone would call within 8 days lol. One more don't plan on using online banking if you’re thinking of using BB&T. It's never correct changes your balance even when nothing has gone thru account and it goes offline all the time. And if you call complaint department you cannot get a number for corporate office. The operator owns the company.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After a 45 minute hold since the initial customer service person refused to give me a payoff it seems if you want a loan payoff you have to FAX a request into some "special" department if you are doing a refi but no one at that department can give you a payoff over the phone, or even by email. Today is 10/22 and I wanted an 11/1 payoff since that is the day my payment is paid electronically by my bank.

Their other option was to drive to a BBT office; I explained the closest one was an hour away. I asked the lady how many people have a fax in their home, I asked if she did and of course the response was "no". They are not even nice about it. Clearly they don't want you to pay off a loan by making it as hard as possible. I guess they want to collect that last few cents of interest. I will never give them another dime of my money nor will I ever entertain letting them quote my Insurance. I can't even imagine what a claim paid would be like. Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere for a car loan.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My granddaughter lives with us, she was involved in a auto accident, other person fault, totaled her car. After two months of dealing with the other person’s insurance company, we finally got an reasonable settlement. My granddaughter received a check and she deposited it on a Friday, it was a large amount, BB&T put a 7 day hold plus 2 weekend which amounts to 11 day. I went to the bank and asked them why. I asked to talk to a manager, the teller told me that no one was there today, so I had to talk to the teller. She told me that it's up to the bank, at their discretion to hold the check, and that there was nothing that we could do about it. My granddaughter has be without a car for two months. Now she has to wait until the bank clears the check, and they are wrong about nothing we can do about it. As soon as the check clears, GOODBYE BB&T. I have heard many other horror story about this bank. DO NOT BANK AT BB&T.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This company is a fraud!!!! DO NOT sign up with this bank PLEASE. They steal your money. If you don't have enough funds and an automatic payment tries to come out they will still charge you $36 without the automatic payment going through. This company is the worst. I WOULD NOT recommend this company. My banker did not tell me about this until I called customer service. I've been with this company for over a year. PLEASE SEEK ANOTHER BANKING COMPANY!!!! Closing my account tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Mad I have to give them one star. Been a customer since taking out a jumbo mortgage 8 years ago. Opened two checking accounts at same time to facilitate payments and for expenses for a rental property. Opened two credit cards for same purposes. Started having problems immediately applying payments to wrong accounts, holding funds for abnormally long periods, their auto phone system is archaic and ineffective getting you to anyone who knows what they are talking about - or even harder somebody who can get anything accomplished.

Even then, took out a 2nd mortgage (stupidly) for a remodel and that just accelerated the problems. After a couple of years of this foolishness, closed the credit cards, closed the 2nd and today I am moving the checking accounts. They state setting up a 3rd party transfer bank takes 3 days (!!) - (my Credit Union did it AND made the payment in a couple of hours). After FOUR days, they say it may take another THREE days and couldn't care less. That's it, I'm done. May refi my 1st just to get away from them. WORST bank ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

So upset I had to even give one star. I've been branching with BB&T since they were Susquehanna. Never had any issues until BB&T took over. And now I always have issues. The newest issue happened Friday when they took money $280 to be exact from my personal bank acct and put it into the negative one of my husband's which my name is just on but I never use. He only has one card for the acct. I only use my personal acct and a separate joint acct we have. Anyway, my husband made 2 purchased using the wrong card since the cards are exactly alike. He didn't know his mistake since BB&T let the purchases go through. He spent about $45 total between two stores. Well I don't notice until a few weeks later when I am helping him check his acct that it's even negative. So he assures me he will pay it. So I don't worry about it because I don't use that acct.

So it's been about a month and a half since this has happened and my husband was going to pay it when his next check came because it was a free check. So I happen to check my personal acct and see $280 was taken from my personal acct and put into his acct to make it positive. I was not told of the transaction nor did I approve. I especially am upset cause there are $240 in fees. Seeing how every single day you're negative it charges $8 more. I call and they basically tell me I'm screwed and to call back Tuesday (tomorrow) because I didn't notice early enough Friday and the dept I needed is closed. I don't get how they can transfer my personal money without approving through me. I am calling Tuesday to try and at least get the fees back and then I am closing my acct with them. Their fees are ridiculous and they always put their customers last.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I opened a Savings account 7 days ago, since BB&T recently financed my used car purchase. I thought this would facilitate ease of making payments, so I could transfer funds to the account before the payment was due, and schedule an auto-payment. So far, my funds are still on "Administrative Hold" after repeated inquiries. I was told 4 "business days, but today is the 5th business day. The account was opened online with a fund transfer, not even a check! So the funds are already out of the other account... So what is BB&T doing with my money, while I do not have access to it? I have emailed "my banker" from the site, and was told he requested the hold to be released. I will be closing this account later today, if they are not released in the next few hours. VERY DISAPPOINTED in the way they do business. Unfortunately, I am stuck with them for my car loan... UGH!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

BB&T closed our account for no reason after my husband's new business began to receive payments through the account. We have been a long time customer and just started receiving payments to our account from a new income stream. They flagged this as fraud and closed our account. They would not talk to him on the phone and said he must come into the branch and prove his business was legitimate. He had to travel to Miami to show all his business paper work, but before he got there they'd already closed the account.

They also went in and reversed the payments back to his customers after the services were completed. They blocked any access to his account. We could not access the money, but any direct deposits or incoming money was still accepted into the account. No one called and talked to my husband about any of this. Once the lady at the bank gave him a number to call, the fraud department informed him they will send him a certified check if anything was left. BB&T is one of the most fraudulent banks out there. Stay far away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

BB&T is usually good, I’ve been with them for 4 years and have never had a problem until now. However this problem is so beyond frustrating that I don’t even want to have an account with them anymore. Their overdraft fees are complete **. I paid someone $1,700 through Venmo and BB&T didn’t take it out until a week later! Since I technically still had that money in my account, I spent some money on food that I knew would take me into negative balance IF the 1,700 was taken out. However, I also had another sum of money that was being put in, but was still processing. So I knew it’d be fine because even though the money wasn’t in yet, it would be by the time I was charged the $1,700 and therefore I would not go into the negatives.

So then I get a message that I’m being charged an overdraft fee all because my PENDING transactions go over the amount of money I have. So keep in mind they haven’t even processed my payments yet, but since the pending transactions went over, they prematurely charged me an overdraft fee, not even waiting until they actually took the money out. Which if they waited until they did take the money out, the $50 that I had being put in would have covered the other pending transactions.

Secondly, I signed up originally for BB&T to just not let me make any transactions if they were going over my limit. Since BB&T apparently punishes you for pending ones, they shouldn’t have even let me overspend my money if it would end up being negative. A few months ago I changed it so that if I did ever overspend, they would take money out of my savings account and put it in my checking account to make sure my checking doesn’t become negative. Surprise surprise, they didn't do that either when they should have! So, even if that didn’t work they still should have declined my original transaction for food, which they didn’t. I’ll be calling and trying to get the fee waived, but if that doesn’t work they can count on me to close all my accounts with them and join a new, better bank. :)

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just recently, I received a call from BB&T's fraud department, telling me that they had stopped a transaction from Utah. In the past year, BB&T stopped a charge from New England that was for meeting people online. Another time, I was in Sam's on the East coast, shopping for the month, and picking up medication. My card was denied, the bank had put a stop on it. Naturally I was upset, so I opened up my iPhone to call BB&T and discovered where I had missed several calls from the bank. I knew something was wrong and most assuredly, charges for a hotel reservation and charges at a restaurant from California were being stopped by the bank, and they were calling to see if they had acted accordingly. Embarrassment of the card being denied at Sam's was quickly forgotten. BB&T are not perfect but their diligence in monitoring charges far overrides their imperfection.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Please stay away from this bank! I got an alert that a transaction came through on my account. I immediately called the bank to report it as fraud. While on the phone with the bank, TWO MORE went through. These people had the nerve to tell me that they couldn’t do anything until the payments posted. I called back the next day and reported these transactions as fraud and a claim was filed. The following day more money had left the account but with no transaction history which put the account into negatives. I had to act out of my charting order to get the claim expedited which still had not been resolved. When/if this account is rectified, I am closing the account and going the other way! Stay away!!! They suck!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had a check that I wrote on a Friday afternoon to a vendor. I had deposited a check on the Monday before and it was returned. I found out on Saturday so on Sunday I deposited cash to make sure I had funds available I wrote on Friday after 5 pm. On Monday the check came through the account, I was showing the cash being deposit on hold. Who place a deposit cash on hold that I did they did before? They paid the check but they charged an overdraft with the cash being in the bank. They are thieves!!! Worst bank ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Stay away from this bank from Space if you have the ability to do so. I have thousands of dollars on the account but they blocked my card for security purposes cause I was trying to send some money thru Facebook to my wife which needed the money cause her car broke down on the highway. I understand security measures and I appreciate that but I have been on hold for the last 5 hours with BB&T and she is still stuck there with our little baby. Stay away from this bank.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

From day 1, BB&T is very unprofessional and will do anything to suck your money out of your bank. They will send someone to drive by your house if they do not receive your payment on time and will charge you $20 for driving by. Why don't they call and ask you if you have sent in a payment. I sent $217,000 to BB&T to pay off the mortgage loan on August 15, 2018, but they said they cannot apply the money to my account until September 1st for various reason. I believe, they just want to charge you the interest for 15 more days is the reason. They stated they will make sure, we do not get charged for the extra 15 days, and the pay off amount would be the same.

Today is September 20, I called them to ask why I have not received any document to prove that my loan is paid in full. I was told that I still owe $217,000 because of their mistake. At this point, my blood pressure went off the roof, and people need to see this review. I asked them to look at the prior conversations with BB&T the manager said she would type up concerning this. Guess what??? They said it was my fault for not calling them back on August 31st to tell them to take the money out. They also said the manager I spoke with in August deleted the statements, so there is no proof that we want the loan to be paid in full on September 1st. Remember, we sent them $217,000 on August 15th. Why would I sent in that much money to them for no reason, anybody with brain would figure this out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been a BB&T customer for 3 years now. My local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is WONDERFUL. Fast, friendly and efficient. Especially branch manager Ms. Kathy **. If I have the funds I'm sending her and all the ladies a fruit basket for Christmas. I'm very satisfied with them. But the company as a whole is officially my enemy. I hate it with a passion.

Anyway, around August 30th, just 3 days after I was in a major car accident, Capital One Auto Finance took TWO car payments out of my account putting me in a negative balance. When I called Capital One, they told me I had to contact my bank, BB&T, which I did RIGHT THEN AND THERE. BB&T gave me a claim number. They sent out a paper for me to sign which took TWO WEEKS. Really? I signed and went into my local branch. I watched Ms. Kathy ** fax the paperwork to the main office. I witnessed this with my own eyes. I call today, and lo and behold, BB&T claims they do not have the paperwork. I will fax it again, tomorrow, from my job, my local branch and my house.

Spoke with Kameka, who I was very nasty too in the last part of the conversation due to frustration, who said it will take ANOTHER 10 days to refund me my money. that's highly unacceptable. I went through the entire hurricane Florence WITHOUT ANY FUNDS because of this **. I really, really, really want to leave BB&T but the local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is the ONLY thing keeping me here. Give those ladies a raise. And Ms. Kameka, I am very sorry. You were just doing your job.

BB&T Company Information