1.22/5
  • 1 star
Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

597 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

If you are looking for the worst customer service team in the mortgage/banking business, then BB&T is your bank. For the Records. We both have a credit score of over 760. We were putting down 40% (money coming out of one of our accounts in the BB&T bank). We were buying new construction home. We had more than enough money in the BB&T system to cover the mortgage balance two times over. That said, we spent: 6+ weeks of watching them drop the ball, 6+ weeks of broken promises. 6+ weeks of doing the same exercise over and over again, 6+ weeks of listening to them passing the buck, 6+ weeks of rescheduling movers, painters and having to delay the sale of our home (so we were not homeless).

Was not all... We opted for an auto-withdrawal (gave us a lower % on the load). BB&T then pulled the money from the wrong account (we have - had 6 in their bank) causing more issues, FYI... They did not ask us which account to use. Their massive delays and poor service caused us $4000 in penalties from the sellers. Their massive errors caused us fines with the moving company, as they had their team ready to work and we had to cancel.

Even today, 7 weeks later, we cannot get a confirmation of the first monthly payment (taken from the wrong account), I called them and they said I could pull the info from my bank account. Just to let you know, no one's bank records can give you the interest paid, the principal paid, the taxes paid etc. I guess they want us to run our lives like they run their bank. This may be hard to believe, but every word is true and can be verified. Do yourselves a favor... Use Quicken Loans, you will be done in 3 weeks and have a very pleasant experience.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

BB&T bank took over for National Penn here in Pennsylvania and it has been a disaster. We were with National Penn since 2009 with all of our personal and business accounts. The branch managers don't have a clue what’s going on, only corporate controls everything. The fees for every little thing are outrageous. They are looking to steal and rob their customers with fees. This bank is a scam and in 2018 I will finally shred this institution, by the way who has come into the state of Pennsylvania and is doing business but is not governed by PA Banking Laws. This outfit can do whatever it wants in this state. Shame on you PA for letting this bank steal from PA residents. I'm sure someone on a yacht or vacation home is literally laughing all the way to the bank. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK. IT WILL BE THE BEST BUSINESS DECISION YOU WILL MAKE.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Charged me $110.00 for a $19.00 mistake. Call the bank 2 times to talk with customer service with no satisfaction...just excuses. Very dishonest, computer clears charges before deposits to maximizes NSF charges, does not care about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

BB&T is the absolute WORST bank that you can bank with possible. I have banked with other organizations previously and have NEVER had an experience like the one I have had with BB&T. This is by far the most underhanded, unprofessional and unethical company I have ever dealt with!!! A company has several unauthorized charges on my card. They have let the company take out thousands of dollars out of my account which ended up in me being charged tons of unauthorized overdraft fee on my card. They have refused to refund the charges and will not stop the unauthorized charges on my card.

They have now also reported my account to collections and have reported my account to the credit bureaus. They also will charge you 2 dollars for every time you call their customer service line to get the charges sorted out. The staff is totally unprofessional and rude. Totally unsympathetic and unhelpful. I will be taking these charges to court and suing this sorry excuse for a bank. They have closed several branches near me without warning their customers. I see this "bank" closing down in the very near future! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This is a horrible bank. They made changes to our account that created service charges that we did not agree to. Their banking system is a mess. We closed all our accounts with them. We closed our home equity line of credit 8 months ago. However they never took the lien off our property. Now we are trying to get another loan from another bank but we can't close because BB&T still hasn't taken the lien off. It's been over a week and no success. Unfortunately we may have to sue the bank to get them to correct this matter. What a mess. DO NOT BANK WITH BB&T. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We were getting ready to close out our checking acct. @ BB&T and I had checked the acct. online early one morning and noticed we had been charged an acct. maintenance fee. I called the bank and was told "our statement had been pulled" on the 18th of the previous month and that there had not been any direct deposits to the account since then and I was calling on the 19th of the current month. Well... a direct deposit had gone into the account on the 20th of that prior month from soc. sec., which was just 2 days after the beginning of the new month for the bank, but, and I still don't know how they managed to discount THAT deposit, but they did! We got charged an account maintenance fee of $10 and I could not close out the account until it was paid. Very poor business if you ask me. Would NOT refer anyone to them. Worst interest rates anywhere around also! No wonder they are one of the largest banks in the country!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I hate this bank and have since the moment they took over my old bank that I had been banking with since literally getting my first job. For the minor annoyances, let’s start off with: they use Visa instead of Mastercard. They sent me a letter saying that because my account hadn't been used in a while that I had 90 days to do something to activate it or they were going to close my account. Now for the major annoyance: When they bought out my old bank, I was enrolled in online banking, just so I could see my account balance. Upon them buying out BoK they sent everyone a letter saying that everything would stay the same. That was a lie.

I haven't been able to get into my account for online banking since a month after they bought out my bank. I'm still enrolled, but I can't actually access it. I have changed my username and password at least three times all to get into it and every time I'm only able to access it once and then they want me to answer some security questions upon logging back in EVEN THOUGH I SELECTED THE "REMEMBER ME" option! I have seriously been considering joining US Bank or even an online bank because this has gone beyond nonsensical. I hate this bank, I hated this buyout and I can't stand trying to do anything with my debit card or online account.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I recently received a post card alerting me to 2 overdraft fees of $36 each. I have text and email notifications set up as well as my accounts are linked for overdraft protection. I figured this must be a mistake. In addition my local branch usually calls if something is coming through that would cause accounts to go in the red. So again, I figured this must be some mistake. I log on to my account to find another $180 in fees that have been charged! I called and the customer service department. The representative tried to help me. She said I had no notifications set up! When I said that I most certainly had them set up I was told, "Well you must have deleted them." No, I would not delete something like that. She then said, "let me put it in the calculator to see if we can get those fees removed."

Well... Seems that I had this courtesy extended to me in January of 2016 and therefore, "no one can override the calculator." Seriously? I always got notifications. Why did 6 things go through? I had a deposited check bounce that my son had written to me... His account was hacked so he moved his money until it was rectified. I explained this to them. He had thought the check to me had already cleared. It was a mistake. I don't go around bouncing payments! I spoke to 2 different people whom all said "no one can override the calculator." Who is this almighty calculator... The great and mighty Oz???

I will not be keeping my money with this bank after these circumstances. I hope the calculator is worth losing my patronage and that of anyone and everyone I can reach with my negative review. I always had notifications set up. My phone number is on my online account profile... I would not put it on there if I wasn't going to have notifications texted to me. VERY FRUSTRATED.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My nightmare began about three years ago from today, 10-19-2017. I first received this notice from BB&T that I had late/overdraft charges to the amount of 500.00 on my mortgage. I inquired at my local branch, and they gave me a phone number in Greenville, S.C. They also curtly informed me that the local branch could not assist me, since mortgages were handled from afar. When I called the number, this man answered, who passed me to this woman, who passed me on to three more people. The last one was a man. This man told me that he wasn't seeing where I had any overdraft charges added to my mortgage, so I figured that the issue was resolved. A month later, however, I received a letter informing that they were still active.

This time I go into my local branch, and I speak with the lady in the loan department, who also knows the computer well there. She goes through my files and sleuths out these withdrawals on my account, and finds that somebody had misappropriated my last two mortgage payments, but could not indicate as to who specifically was responsible. She makes a few phone calls, and after three long agonizing hours, we get the issue resolved, so these people informed her from Greenville, S.C., and so I understood.

Two months later I get a notice that my charges had been raised to 1000.00. I go back to my local branch and ask about this matter, and the lady inside the loan department argues with these same people in Greenville S.C. Another two hours pass, then finally they claim that they had misappropriated funds from my payment, toward homeowners insurance which had gone dead due to nonpayment. My big problem was the reason why they did this without my permission, and why did they do so in a way to cause me problems in my mortgage.

After we argue in circles about this matter with no definitive answer, I asked them how much I owed on the insurance payment, and I was told only 20.00. I then became very irate, I demanded to know why they did not inform me that I owed only 20.00 and waited two months when it had ran up into a 500.00 charge. They never gave me an answer. I refused to pay until I could get answers to my questions that I felt I was owed. I kept on making payments, however, on time and every month. Now three years later they are refusing my payments. They say in one letter that I only owe two thousand dollars. In another letter they will say that I am five thousand overdue. Then finally they claim that I am behind 10 thousand dollars, only to claim 5 thousand the following month.

We are at the point now that they are telling us next month they are going to file foreclosure against us, even though we have made every payment up until the time that they refused to take our payments. I call their central number today and the man tells me that there is a notice of foreclosure listed, but no specified month, day or time.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have been with this bank since they bought out Bank Atlantic. Never have I had a problem till the other day. I deposit my check into my account and the teller says there is going to be a two day hold on the check. Never happened before so why now? She argues with me so I tell her I'm calling customer service. Doing so, a representative says my funds will be available by 6:30 am the following morning. Well they weren't. Back on the phone with customer service the next morning and they can't do anything about it. Only the branch can. I will be removing my funds to another bank as soon as they are available and never refer this bank to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

If I could give negative stars I would. This bank has a $135, yes, one hundred thirty five dollars, interest in my house with an equity line and when I come in to get an insurance check endorsed for a roof they make it as difficult as possible. The manager is on lunch every single time I come in and this is the THIRD time!!! When my husband asked her about coming in on a Saturday when the branch is open she said "Well, I may not be here, I have a personal issue to handle." Unreal! And of course NO ONE else that works here can do anything.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I've been a client of BB&T since August of 2016. Recently, I have been tight on money. I decided to finally overdraft my account in order to pay for my siblings to go on their first field trips (they're in elementary school). BB&T charged me a $36 overdraft fee not once, but twice. I called and tried to get all of this sorted several times, and noticed my bank had once again had money taken out. I have been charged $2 per phone call I've made with them, plus another $36 overdraft fee because my account balance was negative for five consecutive days. I called and tried to get the fees waived, but they only allowed one, and won't allow another for two years. I recommend finding another place to bank completely, unless you're trying for savings.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I am now join the long list of people who are getting ripped off by these overdraft fees. I open my account literally 3 weeks ago. Because one direct deposit did not go in on a Friday. They actually got my online username Wrong by adding an extra number that I don't use and I couldn't set up the parameters once I was told what was going on. I then had a returned check from someone that wrote me for $109 which they never told me it came back so all the transactions that I did for that hundred $9 was now being charged at $36 a piece. So a deposit of $272 was eating up and charges on top of that another $290 in fees. I am now taking my complaint to a TV station Wavy TV news on your side which investigates complaints like this crap. I will post who I'm talking to and get their email and if anybody on this site wants to join the complaint I will have it displayed here hopefully in a couple of days.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I've had a couple of savings accounts for several years for my kids at BB&T Bank. I have money direct deposited into each account every month. The accounts were considered "dormant" because I haven't withdrawn any money from them. BB&T charged me $7.50 per month for each account without my knowledge. In my opinion, depositing money should make the account active and I feel it is an unfair practice for these fees. I have respectfully requested my money back but seriously doubt I will get it. I closed both accounts and moved money to another bank. Ridiculous!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have had so many negative experiences with this bank from extreme long wait periods on the phone for someone to talk to or problems with merchant account and agents lying and giving inconsistent information, never calling or emailing back when they say they would. Placing holds on large check deposit amounts which causes them to default. Double charging on overdrafts and they resist paying back where long amount of time is spent on the phone trying to get it back to a point where you may say "screw it, or just keep it" out of frustration. Just stay away from this bank and remain happy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Very horrible banking company that does not stand behind its customers, they post my paychecks and money in a late manner that has cost me overdraft charges and sometimes my money doesn't show up for almost a week!! Also ATMs are always down or malfunctioning! Beware of this bank like the plague!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I brought some Series I Treasury Bonds into an Austin, Texas branch, and they had no idea how to cash them. They began the process by pulling up my account and stamping every single Treasury Bond with a date stamp. After that, they phoned into their assistance line for guidance and had me fill out the backside of the bonds. Once all the bonds were completely filled out and stamped they told me that the bonds could not be cashed until they held for 365 days. That was fine. What bothered me is that they had already prepared the bonds to be cashed, and had me stamp them and fill them out before they actually knew how to cash them. THE MANAGER said, "here's the number to the Treasury Dept. You will have to call them to get this fixed", and did nothing to rectify the situation.

I joined this bank because I was in a networking group with one of their local branch managers. Over the past five years, they have continued to disappoint me with their insane banking fees, complete failure to provide exceptional customer service, old school technology, and complete and total lack of competence. I haven't always had money to invest, but now that I do, I can promise you that BB&T will never get another dime of my money. Capital One Bank is terrible, but at least they have up to date technology and decent customer service. Word to the wise: DO NOT BANK WITH BB&T.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Never bank at BB&T. I’ve banked at BB&T for almost 3 years and today. I received the worst banking experience in my 41 years of life. On August 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM, I deposited a check into the Oxon Hill, MD ATM - a $3,000.00 personal check from Suntrust bank that was a personal loan and I admit I had a negative balance of $119.00 in my account. It was at 6PM and the bank was closed but I knew from past experience that it would clear the next day. However, I’ve never deposited this large amount and not ever from the check writer before and I never had a negative balance while depositing a check. This time around, I chose to use a bank near my local neighborhood (in the wrong side of town apparently) and not near my job where I have a personal relationship (the right side of town). But I never thought twice about it.

Fast forward to today, August 31, 2017 and I’ve been on an emotional roller coaster all day long where I kept being lied to by the banking officials at Oxon Hill, MD branch. At 9:30 am, I called my personal bank in Crystal City, VA to explain that there was a hold for 8 days on the money and requested to remove it. This is when I was informed that only the Oxon Hill, MD bank could remove it since they were the ones that placed the hold on the money in the first place.

I called Oxon Hill, MD branch and spoke to Mr. C. **, Branch Manager and he lied and told me that they couldn’t have it remove and that I had to wait 8 days before it cleared. I then called back and spoke to someone else and let them know that I had two large payments that would be posted to my checking account tonight and asked, “What can I do about it?” Then they lied and told me that since I had a relationship with the bank near my job, I could have the Crystal City, VA bank to remove it.

I visited the bank in person near my job in Crystal City, VA and was told again that only the Oxon Hill, MD bank could remove it. I then called the bank back while seated inside of the Crystal City Bank and nearly begged Mr. **, the Oxon Hill, MD branch manager, and pleaded with them to remove it or how can I proceed to have it removed sooner. Then they lied again and by telling me that they couldn’t tell if the check had cleared or not and the only option is to process a stop on the check and to have the person that wrote the check to rewrite a new check to me so that I can cash it at the check writer’s bank. I then thanked them and told them I would.

I then went back to work and was called back by Mr. ** at the Oxon Hill, MD bank and he instructed me to have the person process a stop payment because they couldn’t stop the payment on their end. He also lied by telling me that they couldn’t return the check to me because the check was currently in a lockbox inside of ATM machine when I requested to return the check to me. I then drove to where the check writer worked and picked them up and drove to Suntrust bank where they verified that check had indeed cleared and actually had cleared on August 30th. That’s when I lost it! I couldn’t believe that the entire time that the Oxon Hill, MD bank manager was lying to me!!

Once I called back to the Oxon Hill MD location, the branch manager “wasn’t available” but I was told to contact the Fort Washington MD bank to have their branch manager remove it. I called and spoke to Rodney, the Branch Manager at Ft. Washington, MD and then he said that he needed to call the Suntrust bank to speak to their manager to verify that the check cleared and actually told the Suntrust manager that they needed to make sure that the person who wrote the check knew about the check!! Unfreaking believable. There has to be an easier way to handle this and no one I personally know actually banks there and now I understand why. So, if you made it through all of that- because of the awful experience that I had with Oxon Hill, MD branch. I will be closing my BB&T account.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Absolutely awful service at this bank. They acquired National Penn Bank, which I banked with for 9 years prior. I've ran several hundred thousands of dollars thru it over the years, had their credit cards with 25K limits with them (that are now down to $5,000 and $3,500 respectively...) since BB&T acquired and switched it to their "bright" credit card. THIS takes the cake though. Grandma Jeanie passed away and left me a substantial sum of cash.

I go to deposit the CERTIFIED check from Wells Fargo at the bank when they tell me there may be a very large hold. I said OK - a few days is not a big deal. The lovely teller said, "No I'm sorry, probably 30+ days because you never had this kind of money in your account before." Ended up having to get a lawyer involved. What a JOKE this company is. Also every one of their branches have ATM's that don't even have chip readers yet and can't deposit cash instantly, instead have to use outdated envelope. How is this stuff allowed?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Pet peeve is receiving boiler plate answers to online questions. It's as if they don't even read my question. BB&T's computers isolate one word I used and give answers accordingly.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was a victim of an employment scam wherein I was issued a fraudulent check. I was able to provide my bank with the details of issuer and other pertinent information. My bank was able to recover the money that I paid out from the check and refund me the money. I was truly thankful for the efforts of BB&T's fraud protection program as would have lost over $2,700.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

BB&T's overdraft fee system and the amount of time things take to clear the account suck. They usually have no idea what's going on when you call them for answers.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Our local BB&T branch bank is very strong customer service. They have always been able to solve any problem I have had. We have been with this bank 21 years, and have been pleased.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

This bank is awful. I had a checking account - I just requested for it to be closed. I accidentally used this account to pay a bill online. (I have another account I should have selected) Because the money to cover the bill was in the other account. This past Monday the charge went thru. I am told and was returned -unpaid by BB&T. Still no alert was on my dashboard showing the pending charge. On Tuesday I received my text balance alert which was a positive balance. On Wednesday I received my first email saying I had an overdraft fee. Upon calling the bank I was informed of the payment I made on Monday using the wrong account.

My argument was and is valid - why was the charge never showing as pending on my online banking? If it were showing I would have realized my mistake and immediately moved the money into BB&T account to clear the charge. In addition to this why did the text message Tuesday reflect a positive balance? A supervisor (who I insisted on speaking to) told me I need to be careful keeping my balance straight and to not rely on the online system because it is not always up to date.

Really? I was under the impression part of the responsibility of being a bank who offers online banking is to keep the finances accurately and in realtime. I demanded to speak with whoever was above her and was provided the CEO phone number. I called and explained everything to them and was told it could be 8 days before I get a reply. Needless to say I am finished with this bank. I would not recommend this bank to anyone. My other account is with Chase. The service comparison is not matched.

Original review: July 24, 2017

My wife and I keep between 5k-10k in a checking account with BB&T for the past ten years, we also have a saving account that pays pennies each month so we had not added anymore to the savings. BB&T then hit us with a $7.50 charge for dormant activity saying that after 24 months it is their right. Not once, except maybe in the small print ten years ago when the account was created, were we notified that this was their right. The banker assigned to us won't even return a email or telephone call. Needless to say we are closing all our accounts with BB&T and feel everyone should know of this. BB&T is far from the friendly farm bank created years ago in Whiteville, NC. They strive for their own greed to be a big bank. Please share with your family and friends this poor customer service.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I arrived at the ATM at BB&T. I deposited my cash of 400.00. The ATM shuts down, suddenly, and takes my 400.00 in to the machine. The ATM does not give me a receipt. I called the 1800 number on the ATM machine and explain the situation to the customer service representative. The customer representative didn’t seem to care. He stated that my money would deposit into my account within 24 hours at 6 am. I waited until the next morning. Of course no money was deposited into my account. I had bills to pay and couldn't because BB&T’s ATM decided to scoop my funds in their account and not credit my account according.

The second representative said my funds should now appear within 48 hours. I became very livid because as far as I am concerned this company has a hold on my funds to no avail. Now, I have to take time to go into the branch and have the branch research why the ATM took my money and won't deposit it back into my account. My advice to everyone… beware of the depositing funds into a BB&T account… especially large amounts because your funds may be kept on hold until an undisclosed amount of time!!! Very unsatisfied customer!!!

Original review: July 20, 2017

I should probably start by saying that I, myself, have worked at a local bank in New Jersey for quite some time. I am also a business owner and have been trained extensively in customer service. BB&T on Garden Road, in Finland, New Jersey has the WORST customer service possible. Shawn ** and Rodney (not sure of the last name) Are the rudest people in customer service I have ever met. It's a joke that Shawn is the "manager." My fiance did not have a check with him, so he asked a teller for withdrawal from his account that had about $5000 in it, instead she made the mistake of withdrawing from an account without the funds and overdrawing the account. Okay, no HUGE deal, right? Stuff happens.

I call in regards to this and Shawn's response is literally "I know RJ (my fiance) and I know he doesn't carry around his account numbers, so where's the responsibility or accountability on his end, should the teller really be responsible for this?" REALLY?!? As if they don't have a computer screen with all accounts and balances in front of them... Mind you, If I had done this working for the bank I had or even cashed a check overdrawing someone's account AT ALL, I would have been reprimanded, and the customer would have at the very LEAST been apologized to, while the matter was corrected.

Fast forward a few hours, and I call the branch on Chestnut Road in Vineland where the transaction took place, and spoke with Melissa, everything was resolved and taken care of within 5 minutes. I don't even want to go into the irritable and pushy guy (Rodney) we dealt with when opening new accounts... Let me just say again, the most unprofessional, rude people I have ever encountered in a bank atmosphere. We, and both of our families are closing all accounts and all business accounts here and they'll be losing millions in business from us alone, although with this customer service, I'm sure they already have.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I am so disgusted with BB&T and would not advise anyone to get a mortgage loan or home equity loan from BB&T EVER. I have had nothing but problems with them since getting this. Now I am on SSN only and this has been one hassle right after another. Every time I call them about the issue, they give me a different answer. When I make a payment and want to apply it to principal only then they want another payment in addition to what I am already paying which is more than what they say I owe for the month. Over and over again and they keep adding late assessments because they said I wanted my payment to apply to principal... How stressful, in 3 yrs I have been made a widow, diagnosed with Leukemia and lost my job due to a RIF...

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have a BB&T credit card. I was notified that my card was compromised. After a detailed discussion about the charges I receive a call from customer service about a survey I filled out. I find out at this point nothing is done and I have to redo everything again. This BANK has the worst CUSTOMER SERVICE, I am going to cancel my service with them. Stay AWAY from this INCOMPETENT BANK.

Original review: July 7, 2017

In January I received a refund for a Cuisinart food processor from Amazon and the same day I called about this food processor they said they would refund the $147.00 and it would take 3-5 business days for my bank to make this transaction and show up on my statement. Well, I am not good at all at following up on things because I trust people way too much to do what they say and to resolve any matter as thoroughly as it could be. So I did not check on this for several months. Anyway, when I did the bank said they never received the $147.00 into my account from Amazon.

Obviously BB&T does not keep a record of the bank cards they issue such as when one expires and a new one is automatically issued. If they had done just this one thing the mystery of my missing $147.00 would have been corrected as I had all my information from Amazon's transaction with me on this refund. Needless to say BB&T does a piss poor job of hiring people with integrity! My grandmother worked for a bank for over 30 years and she would have never allowed such an oversight to have happened to one of her customers. Shame, Shame BB&T. Obviously you have lost your morals.

BB&T Company Information