2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (594 ratings)

About BB&T

BB&T Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I've banked with BB&T Twice over the years and regretted it both times. I had an account with the one in Tabor City NC/Loris SC and they were always compounding fees for small overdrafts or mistakes quickly reaching $300+ in just fees over a small $2 transaction. Their Balances are never correct especially at the ATMs, I checked my balance at an ATM once, print out and all. Was expecting a deposit to hit and based upon the balance it looks like it did, I had no reason to think otherwise... Lo and behold after spending said balance I was in the negative with the fees again, I brought in the printout from the ATM to dispute and they basically told me that I cannot believe what the ATM says!!!! WHAT!?

More recently in 2015 I opened an Business account in a TN branch and the people were nice but again with the crazy fees. I paid them several times until the last straw, I had a small unauthorized transaction of like $5 that overdrew me. The transaction was fraudulent from PayPal, I disputed it and asked them to freeze my account, they told me they couldn't, instead they again compounded the fees to #00 something dollars.

They told me I would receive a dispute letter in the mail, to wait on it and they would refund the fees. Letter never came, couldn't use my account so I opened one with US Bank, never had an issue US Bank ever since, never looked back... Another experience with a relative of mine that has an account with BB&T with an large amount of money in it, we go to get $18,000 to purchase a car and they didn't even have that amount of cash available, we had to go to two different branches for a measly 18k out of an 6 figure account. A BANK WITH NO MONEY.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

On February 3 2020, I had a bad experience at BB&T, Volvo Pkwy Chesapeake, VA. Because I am familiar with BB&T banking policies, I decided to try the BB&T on Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA. When I entered, I signed in and took a seat. The customer service representative was helping two clients and informed me that she would be right with me.

Once she (Brianna) finished, she greeted me and exhibited impeccable customer service. While helping me, the bank manager, Glenda, came out to greet me and provide additional information. As Brianna continued to help, she needed assistance, and Max made himself available. I was able to open my business account, receive information and the customer service was phenomenal. They were very thorough, patient and professional as they assisted me. In addition, I received follow up calls to ensure that everything was okay. I applaud their efforts to care about the customers and provide professional customer service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

My church has banked with BB&T since 2015. I have always received impeccable customer service until Monday, February 3, 2020. I started my own business and went to BB&T, Volvo Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA to open an account. There were a few people in line and once I told the teller what I needed, she asked me to have a seat. There were no representatives sitting at the desks; however, I could see three representatives in an office talking.

After 10 minutes, I asked another teller if the representatives were in a training and if I should return. She replied that they were talking and she would notify them that I was there to open a business account. She did as promised; however, no one asked me to wait or informed me of how much longer they would continue talking. By this time 20 minutes has passed and I decided to leave. As I am walking out the door, one of the representatives who was talking with the other individuals called out to me, "Ma'am, ma'am." I decided to leave because after 20 minutes, someone could have recognized that I was waiting for a representative and could have assisted me. I have 38 years in the customer service field and this was totally unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

BB&T is a super bad bank. I have bad experience with them. 1) I recently called them to dispute fraud charge, their customer service never unable to reach a "REAL" person who can speak with you. 2) I have to get phone number of customer service thru their health insurance department. (I contacted health insurance department before, I have their phone# in the email). 3) They refused to talk fraud charge over the phone, need to go to branch. 4) I just got a call. They told me, "We cannot refund you for the fraud charge because time is over," I have been charged 450 fraud charge, that is the money I work hard to earn, why not able to refund me? I never see such a bad bank, I have Bank of America. Chase bank, Discover bank cards, they ALL refund me if they are fraud charge. So DO NOT USE BB&T anymore!!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I don’t know what’s going on with them, but they have become not very pleasant to deal with and very not very gracious. Honestly, I hate leaving reviews but it just makes me sad. Of course, I’ll be changing banks but I’m not happy about it. I don’t like to switch things like banks, insurance companies, or whatever. If I’m happy with them, I’ll stay and pay a little above sometimes just because I and every other consumer, need you as much you need us. No matter how busy it was, for myself I was always treated with kindness and respect. But one phone call changed everything. I called about a problem I had and didn’t understand something that was happening that had never happened before and I needed help. Well, I didn’t get help, I got hostility. And that’s why I feel kind of sad; it’s like getting a really bad meal at your favorite restaurant.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Opened an account online and switched Direct Deposit. BB&T totalled my purchases for the day my Direct Deposit should have deposited and charged me fraudulent fees by PROACTIVELY, A DAY BEFORE, charging me overdraft fees causing a tidal wave of smaller transactions to result in additional overdraft fees. WTH? I was shocked when I saw my online account. Trying to negotiate down to 1 overdraft and 1 negative balance fee due to direct deposit did not go into the account as planned. They are adamant that I owe them $177.00 (after they reimbursed 2 overdrafts already) when it should only be 108.00 and imo I'm being very generous and fair. Also, took 3 days for one transaction to post, most others 2 days. Needless to say Good Riddance BB&T. I was switching to you to have a local branch to work with but after this experience I switched to Capital One.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

My husband and I visited a BB&T we’re familiar with for an auto loan for our daughter. We were quickly seated with a loan representative. We explained we were there to get a loan to purchase a car for our daughter's birthday. The rep could see our daughter had an account there too which wasn’t always good (BB&T charges fees on top of fees, if you get delinquent they drown you). Instead of just processing the loan for us, she kept asking for more info on daughter. We didn’t get approval that day (which is weird in today’s tech), she said it was late in the day to call her back. I did and she then asked for more documentation. I told her our credit should speak for itself that more documentation is overkill.

She then told me, "We’re afraid you're buying this for your daughter whose account isn’t good." I told her, "You’re exactly right, we ARE buying it as a gift for her, WE’RE PAYING the loan, NOT HER." Anyway, she stood by wanting more documentation on my daughter. We’ve had this account with BB&T for 20+ years. I did some research, and called Navy Federal. We were processed in MINUTES, they mailed a check to us in the full amount needed for us to forward for the car. Their customer service is the best around. We’re currently working to move our accounts to Navy Federal because of the amazing offers they have.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I've been banking with BB&T for 5 long years, and everything was okay until now. Some scammers hacked into my bank account after they've gotten my information (which I don't know how), and they wired counterfeit checks to my account, deposited it, and I think they were hoping to clean me out. The fraud specialists caught it, not to mention I've just been wrongfully terminated at the company I was working at which is being investigated by the union leader now.

Anyhow, the fraud department froze my account to investigate it, and they are holding me accountable to what happened. Why? I wasn't the one who wired counterfeit money into my account, and how could I prevent those people from doing so if I didn't know it was gonna happen???? Let alone all of that, I don't even know who these people are who done this to me. But because of them, I'm gonna be in the negative -$2100 now. It's not my fault and BB&T is not trying to do anyways to help me. Makes me wonder whether the fraud department is there for the customers, or for the sake of the company they work for assets?!?!

They really don't care about their customers. Anyone can see that. It ain't no if's, and's, or but's about it. I got screwed by people I never knew or seen before, and by this banking branch, there isn't an explanation. Neither is there an excuse to why BB&T is doing this to me. They are wrong and if I ever get the chance to pay this off, I'm closing my account down and they are really wrong for telling other banks not to take me as a customer. If you run across this article and read my message, take this advice. Don't bank with these people and stay as far away as you can from this banking branch. If I would've known all of this I would've stayed away myself. Thanks for reading and take my advice, please STAY AWAY FROM BB&T!! Sincerely.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I went to the branch located at Riverside Pkwy in Macon GA, I came out disappointed. I needed a notary service, so the rep grabbed the my document (translation of a birth certificate), read it and told me to go ahead and sign it, so I did. Right after she grabbed the document again and tells me that she won't notarized the document. I asked her why then she asked me to sign it, she said that I don't need to notarized it. I said I wanted to notarized and I could it take it to somewhere else, that "if you weren't going to stamp it, then you shouldn't tell me to sign it," and she said: "You can go and re-print the document and take it to wherever you want."

I asked to speak with a manager, and another rep came to assist me name (Melissa **), so I explained the situation, and tells me that the 1st rep can do as she wants, she doesn't have to notarized, so I agreed with that, but I disagree with instructing me to sign the document so after I signed now you won't notarized it. Ms. ** said "Oh well, I don't know because I wasn't there, and there is nothing we can do or tell her." I said "That depends on how competent you are Ms. **" and I left the branch. This is the first time I get such a horrible service when I am used to notarize this type of documents at BB&T branches, especially when I used to live in Sanford NC.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

BEWARE!!! I have banked with BB&T for years. I do my bill pay with them but NO MORE!! I put in for my mortgage to come out on Monday and they took it out the Thursday before. I called them and they even said, "Oh I see when you set the date for the 6th and we took it on the 2nd." This caused 216.00 in overdraft fees. They gave me back 72.00 and said that's the best they can do. They then informed me they can take payments up to 5 days before your selected date. TOTAL **. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

BB&T for 13 years. In the last year they have messed up my business bank account several times. The last time, which was within the last few days, was a major error causing an avalanche. I will be doing away with this bank. Aside from this, they are slow in their banking processes, should give their fraud department more control in allowing speedier crediting to an account. Not everyone has the money to be able to wait 3 business days for a credit to go on to their account. Never again BB&T. Thanks a lot.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Charged me 3 overdraft fees for $7 that I wasn't aware of because it was pending for days!! They only reversed 1 and told me that they can't do anything else!!! Why will it take that long to post and I didn't receive any alerts saying so!!! I will be closing this trash account!! Hopefully they pick up Suntrust guidelines with the merger this is ridiculous!!! I should not have to pay this!!! No one there can help me I need the CEO or COO!!! I should not have to pay $85 or 3 overdraft fees within 5 days period!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I had opened an account online with BB&T after they send me an invitation letter in the mail inviting me to open an account with them. It took hours and they still couldn't figure how to apply a simple coupon code to the checking account. Secondly, for no reason the debit card did not work either though the automated system said it does. They do not know whether checks are already mailed out or needs to be ordered for new accounts. Very poor customer experience and I made a decision NOT to bank with them anymore.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I will be closing my account with BB&T. I have found that they move transactions and then charge a return item fee/overdraft fee of $36.00. They also leave my items pending for 3 days on almost every purchase, especially the larger ones. For example, I purchased an item on a Monday. It was left pending until Wednesday, as well on Wednesday I deposited cash into the account that morning but the pending item posted the next day and then the cash posted afterward. How can you hold cash as pending for an entire day? These are called moving transactions and Bank of America was sued for the very same thing. It encourages overdraft fees by changing the order of items.

I have also paid for two items in one day one of a larger amount first and the second of a smaller amount. The smaller amount always post first and the larger amount paid for first doesn't post until after the smaller one. It wouldn't seem like a big deal until you're paying your rent and the rent payment is left pending for 3 days while a smaller payment for maybe gas is taken out the same day. The gas payment will come out first though the rent was paid first and should come out of the account first if the transactions were in order but none of them ever are in order.

I have even gone to settle the account twice to take it out of the negative and each time a return item fee pops after I have settled the account. Instead of the return item fees showing up the week the item was returned they are not shown on the account until the following week even if the item was returned (overdrafted) on a Monday morning. The return item fee then causes the account to go into the negative and when a maintenance fee is charged you are then charged another return item fee of $36.00 for a $5.00 maintenance fee.

These practices are done to steal money from the consumer and make it seem as though the consumer should be more aware of their account when all the while the bank is using sleight of hand to move the transactions around so that it is confusing to the account holder as to when a transaction will even post. I have also seen on my account where my rent payment will not even show as pending and then all of a sudden it will come out of the account though it was never even listed as a pending item.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Bad bank to deal with. Absolutely awful!!! I have excellent credit, low debt, good income, and they still could not extend me a personal loan. Something that another local bank did in 15 minutes. Be aware, very incapable bank!!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I haven't been a BB&T account for even one year, yet, I have experienced some of the most unprofessional individuals working in the banking industry through my association with this bank. The majority of my encounters with customer service via the 800 number are NOT professional. I'm pleasantly surprised when I do happen to get a representative who is thorough and accurate in dispersing information about the entity for whom she works.

I recently spent time speaking with Marquita who spent at least 15+ minutes explaining to me why I received a charge on my account. Her explanation made no sense to me which led to additional questions. After some 20 minutes of talk that didn't add up, she comes to terms that she was incorrect. In doing so, her combative behavior revealed who she truly was as a person. She asked why did I make a payment... which is a concern above her job descriptor for sure. I guess she felt a need to "handle" me after she'd wasted my time explaining away a charge with fallacy.

IF this is the more accurate representation of workers for bb&t, I hope an cleansing occurs before the Suntrust merger product hits. I called back to share my feedback with Marquita and got Jessica who was indeed more poised to address my initial concern and to speak professionally. Throwing "ma'am" into an inappropriate conversation does not make one professional. Despicable that individuals of this caliber have access to such precious data.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just want to say I am greatly disappointed in the service that was given to me when my vehicle was a total loss and I tried to close out this account. You want everything from me with a snap of the finger and when it comes to giving my overage check back you are holding this check an ADDITIONAL 15 business days. My account is at zero and there is ABSOLUTELY zero reason why you can't mail out that check.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Unfortunately due to our move to a small city I had to go with BBT for checking account.. From the very first day until now ( 4 years later ) there have been so many issues that are incredible to believe with this bank. Our newest issue and the final straw is the overdraft fees. Upon making a call again to this bank and inquiring as to how we received another overdraft fee when I actually watched the payment come out of the bank with funds to cover payment - the representative tells me that the BBT app doesn't show transactions in real-time. It was funny to be told this as we had just purchased some things from the local Walmart 2 minutes prior and the transaction shows as pending in the BBT app.

I will say that this bank is very slow though as to posting ach transactions, possibly the slowest bank I've ever dealt with. Customer service at this particular bank is a nightmare and very unknowledgeable. When we first opened the account they forgot to send out our debit cards. The fraud department seems to block purchases from Nike however ordering from third world countries works very well.. Upon questioning the BBT fraud department after being blocked from ordering on a target website the agent stated sites like target and Nike are automatically blocked because if a card is stolen those sites are popular for hackers or thieves to use a stolen card. That should sum up BBT fraud technologies lol.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Went into BB&T in the Austin area to open our new business accounts. We have been with BB&T for many years with a different business association and felt BB&T could serve as a value to our future banking needs with the honesty and decency. 'However' We asked the representative for a specific secured credit account, a simple account that would not involve traditional credit approval and the overrated approval process or any form of credit criteria and approval process.

She ignored our request and submitted a full blown credit application where credit funding is absolutely not needed. Just a secure credit card with a secure savings as advertised on BB&T website. Had this person followed our instructions and not performed the credit application, without our understanding of what was happening, mindful without our approval, we certainly would be with this bank for many years to come. (We were not interested in having a credit application submitted into the system and we are new with this particular location we have chosen to close all the accounts once we receive the debit cards and related banking material.)

Just amazing that people from all regions assume it is OK to run credit even when you know the approval process will be drawn out. We are self employed, we understand it is nearly impossible to get any form of credit. While we have great credit and 6 digit income, this is both damaging and frustrating to have additional inquiries on our credit when we DID NOT ask for traditional credit. We did ask for a secure card solution, as is advertised on BB&T website. We were told upfront and without hesitation that the secure card solution is not available without first being denied credit. Of course we will be denied credit, I personally cannot get credit and I have a score of 800+. Because I am self employed, I don't qualify for the trusty credit card.

So, my review here is that this banking option is deceptive and not a good choice to go with. The banker does not listen to the request, therefore, if we really need support in the future, it will be best with a bank that addresses the needs and concerns from the onset and without submitting a credit application where an application has not been authorized.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I recently went to my local branch of BB&T with a power of attorney in hand. 8 page Financial POA was in fact Witness, as a courtesy, by the public defender for the state of Florida. My son is the account holder, a disabled veteran, and is currently temporarily incarcerated and unable to access his bank needs. While there, the Bank employee made at least one possibly two calls regarding the POA. In the end I was told they would not accept it because of the type of account he has there. I have spoken to three different people in their Executive offices & have still not received a resolution to this matter. Also while in the branch I asked if this meant that they would continue to accept his money from the VA but it would not be accessible? (unless he came in person or online) Their answer was yes.This is unacceptable, I will certainly, personally never use them for my personal banking needs.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I submitted two power of attorneys to BBT. Both times they slow walks me. Always gave me different answers. Never gave me the same answer. They refuse to accept the power of attorney trying to say it was altered so therefore I got the second power of attorney and this point in time they are still telling me that is sent to their back office. I haven't heard anything yet and so on and so forth. The Florida legislator States if they have four days to review it they have to send you a letter if they deny it within 10 days but yet they say they don't have to. They don't send letters out so I mean really what what's the laws for if they're not going to buy them?

So still to this point in time I don't know exactly what to do or where to go or how where to turn with this situation because they're refusing to accept a durable power of attorney that has been notarized with two witnesses still to this day and it is the second one that has been notarized with the two witnesses so what is the laws in place for if they don't if they don't have to abide by them?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Obtained a loan with BB & T via a car dealership. Could not obtain a tag for the car. Called BB & T for help as the tag was still in the previous owners name. Could not get anyone to assist me. The dealership kept sending me illegal temporary tags and I could not legally drive the car. I had to get law enforcement involved. I was told by the agencies involved that BB & T failed to obtain a lein on the car. BB & T assured me that they had one. Fast forward to 9 months later, I receive a letter in the mail from BB & T asking for Power of Attorney so that they can lien the car. INCREDIBLE! What happened to the original claim that you had a lien? Hmmm.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I use the app to make my payment, they show green for posted payments red for reversed. It initially showed my payment in red so I went online to transfer more money into my checking acct to cover the payment. Shortly afterward it showed the payment posted in green. I have other credit cards and bank apps. They all generally work the same. A couple months later I noticed that the balance didn’t match. I called the bank, found out that the payment never processed and I had missed the payment as I continued to make payments (2 more months). I made the missed payment after clearing up the misunderstanding of the app. A week later had a late payment reported to the credit bureau. My score dropped 50 points. I filed a dispute with the credit bureaus and called the bank to try and get some support for my dispute. I screenshot the app summary because it’s misleading and thought they should see how it appears from the customer's view.

Long story short no one cared. Spent 2 hours talked to 6 different people. I was calm but Lisa in online services was so hostile and kept cutting me off when I was trying to explain the appearance of the app summary. I knew I would have to be patient and on the phone for a while. I also was aware That getting frustrated wouldn’t get me anywhere. That I needed their help if there would be any hope of restoring my 50 point drop. I was really really surprised at how hostile Lisa was and when I wasn’t. Usually it’s the customers who are unreasonable and angry. I realize I probably won’t win the battle for my 50 points but thought they’d want feedback about the app. I was wrong.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

BB&T is a horribly run bank and they have the worst customer service, they could not care less about their customers – not even their longtime customers!! They have taken hundreds from me this year alone in NSF fees. I realize I need to manage my account better, but some people do not have much money and live paycheck to paycheck. They take extreme advantage of that.

They could work with their customers and choose not to. They either only care about the customers with large amounts of money – which let’s be frank there’s only so many people like that. Otherwise they do not care about any customers at all. It is not illegal but it is unethical to do the practices that day and other banks do with the way they re-order your debit and keep your deposits from going through quite as quickly. They need to be stopped because a good bank would care about their customers and not be willing to charge them hundreds a year in NSF fees. I’ve been thinking about starting a lawsuit. They already have a lawsuit against them from their own employees in regards to 401(k) plans. That should tell everyone something.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2019

BBT BANK called & refunded the 36.00 NSF charge. They went back & listened to the call that mis-guided me and said they were very sorry that I was told the wrong information. Blessings to BBT BANK always.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was 5.00 short of the 300.00 credit one payment and called the bank yesterday. They told me I would not get a NSF charge and that the credit card payment was pending. I made a 10.00 deposit bringing my balance 310.00. BB&T took out a NSF charge that night and caused the 300.00 credit one payment to bounce. They refused to refund the NSF charge after they lied to me. I want to switch banks now.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I have 2 boat loans with BB&T and stellar credit. They literally call when the note is 3 days past due. It is the most unprofessional bank department I have ever dealt with before. I get my cell blown up on the 30th when it is due the 27th. I am currently looking into moving my account.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Worst customer service ever! Make it impossible to refinance car loan with another institution! Still trying after two weeks and multiple phone calls. They will only accept fax correspondence. No emails. Ridiculous! DO NOT loan with these people!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I called customer care at BB&T to top payment on a withdraw that is coming out of my account. The company is still taking money out even after my stop payment. When I called they acted like it was my fault I have banked with them 9 years. Very unhappy customer here.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I'm just a normal guy Working 9 to 5 taking care a family of 5 and BB&T hits me with a 171.00 overdraft fees for a place that attempted to take 80.00 from my account 4 times. So they charged me 36.00 each time and 80.00 last time. WTF! And it will be another 36.00 if I don't have my account out negative by payday which is impossible. I understand I need to manage my account better but it's not easy when numbers are up and down due to BB&T slow processing. If y'all taking all the fees from me but not paying the bill that's making my account overdraft. Why even have a bank that's ripping me off making my life worse. I repeat do not go with bank. During the 6 years I've lost so much money... Called and she basically told me I was robbed and there is nothing they can. I suppose to study BB&T terms... I WANT MY MONEY BACK AND SWITCHING BANKS ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have tried to make things work with BB&T, but today is the end for me. I had overdraft protection after 8-9 visits and calls that involved myself telling them that bb&t was just my “for kiddo” account. I paid overdraft fees close to $700 and that was AFTER I spoke with a few reps. I spoke with one today who told me that it didn’t matter if I had overdraft protection. My account is now closed and they have figured out a way to charge me $109. I am a single mom and I can not. Help. What services decide to use an old account. I will never use this again and if you’re a single parent or even someone on a budget, this is NOT the bank for you!!!!

BB&T Company Information