Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

BB&T Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I have had good experiences with BB&T until they merged with TRUIST. I have had mortgages and HELOCs. During a recent streamline refi (IRRRL), BB&T went awry. I had to call their Executive Resolutions office in North Carolina to get their Subordination department to do job and re-subordinate. This transaction was to merely reduce my interest rate on my primary mortgage. Apparently, an internal BB&T process is to request an appraisal and conduct a loan-to-value (LTV) verification. The original note was secured with my home using an 85% LTV and an appraisal of $940K. BB&T decides now to use an arbitrary selected value of $775K called a “desktop appraisal” that was well below ($165K) the original appraisal of $940K; which was the basis for the HELOC.

I have repeatedly asked BB&T for the methodology and basis for this arbitrary “desktop appraisal” to no avail. To date, BB&T has yet to respond. I field complaint with North Carolina’s Department of Justice (NC DOJ -- Attorney General’s Office). BB&T responses to NC’s DOJ have been anything but truthful and NC DOJ has not looked into or indicated they are looking into the matter. This is not a statutory authority; this is BB&T internal policy. Had I not refinanced my principle note, this would not be an issue and I would not be writing this review. BB&T verified and informed me that home prices in my area had increased over the last two years (over 6.5%). However, potentially due to me contacting their Executive Resolutions department to get them to subordinate before my rate lock expired, must have angered them to use a HELOC provision to close my loan.

BB&T lied to the NC Attorney General’s Office and stated my account was not closed. I received an Experian Alert on my account stating, “Account Closed by Credit Grantor”. This information was sent to NC DOJ as well. It can’t be any plainer to have it in black and white and then have BB&T lie about it. I can no longer draw on the HELOC, this caused my credit score to significantly decreased as a result, and BB&T still has a Second Deed of Trust on my home.

Upon closing the HELOC, I instruct BB&T to ensure payment was on the 1st of the month. In their infinite wisdom, they elected to have the due date on the closing date (middle of the month). When the payment was received on the 1st of the month, they charge me a late payment fee. Amazing how that works and the time you have to take and waste on their inability to administer to their inherent responsibilities. I had to contact them multiple times to get the charges reversed and inform them of what our agreement was upon closing the HELOC. Can they spell or distinguish “BREACH OF CONTRACT”? Time I’ll never get back spent on incompetence! Recently my automatic payment was not applied. In accordance with my retail loan contract, BB&T must apply payment within 72 hours.

As of 2 monthly statements, this payment has not been acknowledged or applied. This is certainly yet another “BREACH OF CONTRACT”. But I guess the banks are allowed to violate contracts without any repercussion. I also suppose they are allowed to do as they please in the current world order and global pandemic. This have been going on since March 2020 and still unresolved. Maybe this is a manner to shore up their credit risk portfolio! If you have mortgage or line of credit needs, DO NOT CONSIDER BB&T now TRUIST to fulfill them; you will be VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Original review: July 30, 2020

I held a Business account with BBT for over a year, during the pandemic a charge was made to my account without my knowing, I later made a purchase which in turn sent the account into overdraft. I contacted the company that had made the charge to account and they corrected it. Added the funds back to my account. After several weeks and long hold times and calls I was finally able to speak to someone at the branch level, as it seems the 1800 customer service was working from home and had no interest in helping me, I would be transferred from one dept to another and subsequently disconnected. Well, the young lady looked into the situation. Agreed to have the bank fees remove, however she said she could not do so. She would have to submit it another dept and would get back me. I never heard back.

I again made several attempts to reach someone to no avail. I then went to the local branch to speak to someone and was told my account was closed and I now owed the bank fees for them closing the account. When I explained to the bank manager the situation and explained I was expecting a check to be deposited to my account he assure me that if that would be the case that the bank would return to sender. Lo and behold that was not to be the case. BBT not only did they received the funds they took what I owed them and issued a check out to the business name only without a courtesy call to ask how I would want the funds issued, knowing that I won't be able to cash a check made out to the business. When I contacted their customer care center I was treated with the utmost disrespect and no offer in assistance to rectify the problem.

Original review: July 21, 2020

This is the worst bank I ever had. I wish I never switched banks. The 7/13 a payment didn't go through. Deposited money on 7/17 to pay a bill. Woke up 7/21 now he overdraft my account. Account was positive for seven days. They claim they forgot to withdrawal on 7/13. They closed my daughter savings without telling us and she has direct deposit. We looking for another bank.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had troubles with this Bank from the start I used them for some banking needs. But I will not say this for every banker in their organization, however for the majority I ran into they are very judgemental and discriminatory. If your skin tone is not of a lighter tone then you are question about your profession as well as any other business you may handle inside certain branches.

I recently had an encounter in one of the branches within high point NC. I will tell you I have never experience so much what came off as racial discrimination as well as left with the feeling of being belittled. Because of a business loan that came through my personal account I was questioned about that which was ok but for a person to question pretty much your ability to have a company and also flag an account to be placed on hold while calling you a scammer all at the same time I find that a bit much. So I will tell you I am currently reporting the organization as a whole to the federal reserve as well as looking into a lawyer, especially that I have the conversation with me and the banker saved. Is there any input with this review.

Original review: June 8, 2020

BB&T is the most insensitive bank I've ever done business with. It's the middle of a Global Pandemic, and I'm out of a job. I haven't worked in now 3 months. I cleared up the negative balance in my checking account, and they even refunded me fees. The next day they sent through another fee, and closed my account and locked me out of the online platform. I had no idea what was going on... No warning, no indication from the client services rep I'd spoken to a few days earlier. 45 million Americans are out of jobs since the Pandemic started. You would THINK they'd have something in place to help customers. They literally gave me fees back and then charged them again then next day! I received no email, phone call or anything letting me know the status of my account. PEOPLE make up the banking system... Working class people! Maybe they'll be better as Truist, but I doubt it!!!

Original review: May 28, 2020

BB&T is the worse bank ever, they hold your own money for I don't know what reason at all. Then when you call them you talk to different people and they act like they don't know what's going on.. I wouldn't recommend this bank to no one not even cats and dogs. I'm surprise they still in business.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I recently closed my account with BB&T bank due to their lack of customer service and their unwillingness to accommodate their customers, especially during this pandemic. I had well over 6 figures in their bank and I needed to send a wire transfer to a title company. When I called them to do the wire transfer for me, they said I would have to come to their drive thru in order to process the transfer.

I called on more than one occasion and my request was relayed to their supervisor, but they dug in their heels and said, unfortunately there was no other way we could do a wire transfer other than you coming to the drive thru. I called another bank that I only kept a minimum amount in and asked if they could help me with a wire transfer. They said sure, we will have to confirm your identity first, which they did by asking me several personal questions, then sent me a link to upload my current driver's lic. Within two hours the title company had my earnest money deposit without my leaving my home. I then transferred my 6 figure account to the bank that was willing to accommodate their customers.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Be very careful in dealing with this bank. You can't believe any assurances the staff at the Fairhope, Alabama branch gives you. Their misrepresentations cost me about $30,000. If you would like details, you may email me at ** or call me at **. Again, beware of this outfit.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I use BB&T. They take my money, hold it then close my account. When I call I ask where my money. They say go back where I come from. I say, "Ok but you still have my money." The girl say, "What’s that got to do with the price of rice in China?" I come from Vietnam. I think they don’t like Asian.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I use their BB&T app to make online payments and have done so since the first payment. I was charged a late payment penalty on my credit report after making an on time payment because it was issued to principal and not interest. Proof of all of this on my statement as well as theirs. They don’t call or email me until I find out after trying to close on a house that I had a late payment. Drops my credit score by 100 points. Can’t close on the house. Talked to several people. Finally had someone tell me they would take care of it and it would correct the penalty with the credit reports.

I needed a statement saying my payments have all been on time and it was being corrected so I could close and they wouldn’t do it. One supervisor tells me it’s all going to be taken care of, the next tells me they can’t do anything. Pretty much calls me a liar and I tell her to pull up the phone records for proof. I was suppose to get a call back as this was urgent. Still waiting on that call. For every 10 reps I spoke to only 3 were good. Massive opportunities for this company in staffing and leadership. Will never recommend them to anyone. Coming from a loyal, never late on any payment customer.

BB&T Company Information