1.09/5
Based on 104 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

672 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2018

OMGoodness. These guys are a rip off. I'd post a -10 star rating if I could. I understand amortization, reverse amortization and yada yada yada... But this is terrible. I won't get into too many specifics, but they make it HARD to make a large payment on your car loan. Then you can only make a certain # of payments in a certain time frame. What? I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY. HA! So I call the phone # to speak w/ someone, on hold for 27 min... "Nope, sorry sir, you'll need to mail in your payment." WHAT!!?? So I mail in a payment, which isn't due now for another 4 months with a check specifically stating to post on my principal balance only. So I check my account a few days later, yep. They charged me more interest! Hahaha! Never again with these clowns. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 27, 2018

So I recently applied for BB&T Visa CC. I transferred two balance, 1) 6K 2) 4. Total $10K. So I get my new card and guess what the credit limit was. RIGHT. $10k... Card is virtually useless. I begin to be embarrassed at stores who are declining my card. So I contact "my banker" and ask them to increase my credit limit by 1 or 2 thousand dollars, I think that is a reasonable request... They proceed to do a "hard credit inquiry" which has lowered my credit rating (thanks BB&T).

So this is a bank that has known me for 20 years, I have two checking accounts, a line of credit I can use up to $3k and they refuse to increase the card limit because I have one had it for 1 month. I get it, but if you are going to issue a Visa CC to pay off balances, wouldn't it just make sense to enable the customer to use of card! Did I mention that they have known me for 20 years, starting the Raleigh, NC and because I was loyal, I thought I would maintain our mutual relationship. Did I mention that BOTH Equifax and TransUnion rate my credit EXCELLENT. This is nothing but a small time bank that could care less about their customers. I will be moving all of my account to CHASE or BOA, BB&T Sucks!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I was assessed an overdraft fee due to a pending item that would result in an overdraft when posted. Ex. 2/18 $100 posted balance. 2/19 $75 posted item + $36 overdraft fee for a pending item that has not yet posted (-11). 2/20 pending item posted $30 + overdraft fee for same item that put me in the negative to begin with. Can you say double Jeopardy? When I asked, “What if the pending item never posted would you refund me the fees”, The response was, “No.”

Original review: March 24, 2018

Bank likes to set 'due dates' for payments on dates that they will not accept payment. They are fond of setting Sunday due dates when the closest day payment can actually be made is 2 days prior (Friday). So you can make a payment the day before the due date (a Saturday) and they will still collect a late fee from that customer who actually paid 24 hours BEFORE the payment was due. This seems shady - done on purpose to collect 'late' fees from people who made their payments before the due date.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They hold onto certain transactions to cause you to overdraft. Some take a week to come out, others a mere few minutes. I really DO NOT understand them. They scammed me out of 242 dollars. Thank you so much but I will be taking my business elsewhere. I keep opting out so I don't get overdraft and surprise surprise I'm always opted back in to let them pick and choose what to let overdraft my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had this bank from October 2017 until February 2018, and it was the worst experience. Between my account stating I had “x” dollars, but really not having any, being accused of fraud, and having to deal with RUDE customer service, it was an awful experience. They closed my account without consent, even though it being overdrawn WAS NOT MY FAULT. I will NEVER recommend this bank to anyone!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been with BB&T Bank of Southlake, 270 Kimbell Blvd. Texas for only 2 months. I applied with them in February of 2018. The initial guy that open my account was very pleasant and nice. I was excited to get started. However that is not his normal branch. Two weeks of having my bank account open $60 came up missing out of my account overnight. I received a message from the bank saying that there was some type of glitch in the system and that everything will be corrected. However that never happened. Two more weeks went past and another $109 came up missing out of my account. I immediately went to the branch office to sit down to try to figure out what is going on. The guy that assisted me his name is ** he was very impatient and didn't seem to know what he was doing. He called a lady named ** in the back office. ** was very rude and could not give me an explanation over the phone as to why my funds were missing.

Today March the 20th $34.44 more is missing out of my account. I went into the branch today to talk to ** to figure out why. ** could not give me an explanation. Instead he secretly emailed ** while I was sitting at the desk speaking with him. ** calls and demands that the call be put on the speakerphone. I tried to go over with them to see what was going on with my account. I said if things don't get figured out I will be filing a suit. ** panic and said, "I will be shutting your account down immediately. Your services are no longer wanted here and I can exercise that right." ** told me I had 10 days to get my money out of her bank account and she told me to leave that branch immediately.

First of all I have never ever in my life had a bank tell me this. It seems to me as if though they have something to hide. I am an ** lady. I feel like I was racially discriminated against as well as violated. And my moneys are still missing. I need help. This branch has been so unprofessional and each time I walk into the bank they make me feel unwanted. As a ** I am not trying to pull the race card but it is what it is in this situation. Very unprofessional and they do steal your money.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Had wind damage to our home March 3 and got the adjuster to come out and look at the home. Received the check on 3-19, took it to the bank and they said they couldn't cash it because we were due on our mortgage. The people that done the work was waiting on their money and now they won't get paid. I told them to just take the payment out of the check. They said they couldn't do that. BB&T is terrible. Wish we could go somewhere else.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My wife and I are customers of BB&T. We have direct deposit every month that amounts over 10000 dollars. Our credit scores are good and our accounts are always paid on time. I'm so disappointed that every time I go to get a loan from my bank I have to get it elsewhere. This to me is not building any relationship with the customer. We have 3 car loans, a mortgage, and 2 personal loans. None of which are through this bank. It's for these reasons we will be looking for another bank especially with my growing company to use. Again just such severe disappointment that this bank can't help a loyal and always current customer. Just not a good bank!

Original review: March 9, 2018

First I keep a ledger of my account balance. I also have the BB&T online so I can see my balance and pending transactions which coincide with my ledger. I had a positive balance. I went to the store, used my debit card twice and looked at my new balance which was accurate. Next day I went to the bank and used my card for gas; next morning I wake up and see I'm negative $166 and I was charge $36.00 overdraft fee 4 times. I went to the branch met with the Branch Manager. He said he investigated it and the vendor had put my transactions through but then backed it out which caused my account to be negative but then ran the same transactions again.

This is not something as a customer we can see on our transactions. It only shows pending and the balance is accurate. So why should I have to be hit with fees when it was already calculated out of my positive balance. I live pay check to pay check and now I'm in a tight financial position because BB&T will not accommodate the customer. I'm moving my account and will be spreading the word to as many people as possible to not bank here. I work in the Financial business myself and have never seen this type of funny business and cheating people out of money. I will go to the Corporate Office and discuss these tactics further. My $166.00 means a lot to me. I work hard for my money; not to just give it away due to scams like this.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My 18 year old daughter had thought she misplaced her ATM card so she borrows her mom's who was on her account as she is primary on our account and our kids as secondary. She notified BB&T when she realized the misplaced card was stolen and being used. l or a duplicate was being used. Then she starts getting charges NSF charges on the fraudulent withdrawals. She makes minimum wage at Zaxby’s and works 22 - 30 hrs per week. She now owes BB&T close to $2200.00 for the fraud and NSF as BB&T denied the fraud claim, because they think she had something to do with it.

They don’t have proof and they didn’t lock down her account when she notified them. They continued to let it remain and kept charging $35.00 NSF charges that they refuse to waive. This organization is terrible and we have banked with them for 18 years including a mortgage. Adios to you thiefs at BB&T. Your fraud dept is useless and your customer service is just as bad. Hire investigators that work and not someone that just threatens them client/victims.

Original review: March 5, 2018

On February 22nd, 2018, the bank lost outage and left customer out dry until the February 27,2018. Due to some technical online issue, the bank cards, ATMs, and even deposits were not submitted. My IRS check was sent to my account February 22, 2018 and today is March 5, 2018. I’ve called this bank over 50 times, sent every form possible, confirmed the amount just to be informed we can’t do nothing about that yet have they already apologize to every customer about the outage that lasted 4 days but my money not being in my account but in space is not there fault. I’m facing eviction and nothing has been confirmed to me by this bank. I feel used, betrayed, disrespected for me to put my trust into a company and receive nothing, no sense of ownership taking to resolve a matter which was not dictated by me.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We have been having an issue with them holding certain transactions and not others to what seems like cause NSF fees and from reading other reviews, we aren't the only people having this issue. It seems to be their #1 complaint from consumers. That they are absolute thieves. They just had this huge system crash and nobody could see their accounts for days. They said they were working to restore everyone's accounts and make things right so, let's go over how they made things right for me. We have 2 checking accounts. One that rarely ever gets used and the other as our primary. Well, during this process, the one that never gets used (we don't even have a card tied to it) had about 20 different balances over a 4 day period. Which we knew they were having the issues they were having so we thought, “Hey, give them a chance to fix it and no worries right?” WRONG.

I'm currently setting at a $-734 balance in a checking account that we don't even really use. I got 3 NSF fees for $100+ a piece. Now, if I had went wild and blown my money, ok I earned that but that couldn't be further from the truth. Moral of the story is, BB&T are absolute crooks and do some very shady stuff with your money to make sure you have to pay them fees. I'd rather go to Wells Fargo and have my identity stolen than pay these jokers thousands of dollars just because it's amusing to them. Do not use BB&T if you enjoy keeping the money you work for. I urge everyone to find another bank. They are awful and unwilling to make their mistakes right.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I'm still dealing with the aftermath of this "collapse" and today I'm in the negative when I deposited money on Thursday? Money transactions missing from my account then reappearing days later. Today customer service claims they cannot remedy the situation bc on their end the deposit wasn't in there yesterday, it's scheduled for Monday, then try to blame the vendor. Yeah a decade of loyal service in leaving today. @BB&T just lost another customer and will be reported to the BBB and whomever else needs to know.

Original review: March 2, 2018

This is the absolutely worst bank ever for a business account! Their level 3 banker knows nothing and can’t even explain the difference between availability and posted balances. We have over 1k floating around that no one can explain where it’s at!!! Is one star the lowest because I rate them a flat ZERO.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I cannot stress enough. Do Not Bank Here. These guys are absolutely terrible. Somehow they managed to change my payoff quote on my mortgage into a 45k+ increase to my loan balance. Their customer service flat out lies and after a week it’s still unresolved with no glimmer of hope it’s going to be resolved. Do not use them. For anything. Use a loan shark instead. It would be less stress or bury your money in your yard. Literally anything is better than BB&T.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

All customers are having problems with this bank. On Monday Feb 26, 2018 I had over 80$ in my bank account but due to an unknown BB&T error I am -40$ in my account. I called the bank that day and they said there was a bank error and that everything would be fixed by that night. Two days later I am still negative in my account. I called them again to report fraud on the company and their department had a waiting list of over 37 mins at 8 am in the morning. When they answered they had no helpful information besides that they would have problem resolved by tomorrow morning. This is fraud. I have no gas money to get to work, to eat or to do anything. Can anyone help me with a class action lawsuit because I'm not the only person that got screwed over here. There are thousands of people with this problem. Help us!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Boycott Big Banks! Hey 3rd day no access to my hard earned money! On 26 Feb, I will open an account with a small local bank, then after I’m paid the money I overpaid to the IRS, I will close my BB&T account plus 3 additional accounts I have at this bank! We are the people. We have power, let’s show how much power by depleting BB&T pockets during the next week! This is ridiculous. At least in Europe you receive an alert, plus the banks face big government fines? What’s going on in our country, this is theft! Maybe we can call the police on BB&T, that they have stolen our money the same as your everyday crook!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I get so tired of BB&T taking money from me. Mind you, I admit that sometimes I may have a check returned, but why do they make you pay for it over and over. They have taken $400 from my account because of 2 checks in the amounts of $15 and $20. That is highway robbery. I do not have a lot of money and I really try hard not to overdraft, but with my limited income because of retirement. There must be a limit on this practice of taking money in the name of bank fees. This time it is $300 because of a $50 check and a draft for $50 that did not make it. Please tell me this is illegal. I have direct deposits coming in monthly.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Wow, I've considered changing banks for a while but really didn't want to deal with it. After today however I'm over it. So you have a "system malfunction" on payday so my direct deposit that happened at midnight last night isn't there. You don't answer or return phone calls and when I go by the branch I get no answers. Now it is 3:41 in the afternoon and I have no money, I guess I'll tell my kids it's cereal for dinner because the money I worked so hard for all week isn't there because of BB&T's "system malfunction". I'm sure they are all knocking off right on time today too.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Let’s first start off by saying, "DONT BANK HERE. You’ll save yourself the stress!" The online system and the phone system has been down for the 2nd day now! There is no way of finding out your balance or anything unless you go into the branch which is time wasting because even once you go into the branch they take forever and they are unprofessional! This is not the first time the system has been down. One day I went to 4 ATM’s at different locations and they were all down! They don’t email you to let you know anything! They don’t post your ACCURATE transactions! Don’t bank here. I would close my account today but I need my bank card for Uber but tomorrow I will be closing my account!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

As I write this on 2/23/18 at 10:15 in the morning all avenues to access BB&T accounts via web, phone and ATM are down. This is the worst experience in banking I have ever seen in my 58 years. Feed the squirrels, crank the handle, do whatever it takes to keep your antiquated system up and running. These folks are behind the times.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

BB&T for the last 4 hrs in my area have reported the website down, mobile app and phone automated systems are down. They are not saying anything, not providing any updates or anything. It's just amazing on the day that the tax deposits went in they are having systems issues.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Disgraceful that their phone menu does not even have an avenue to talk to an actual human being... I am so mad about this that I will be finding another bank to deal with my home mortgage! Really BB&T not cool, I will tell everyone what a joke you are!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Recently financed a vehicle thru BB&T, called for a pay off to move the note to my credit union. Good luck getting a person to answer. They will not give you a ten-day pay off over the phone only by mail. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, RUN DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS BANK. They will only send by mail so that they can per diem you and get that last bit of money from you. Even if you sign up online and access your account you cannot get a payoff from your account info. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a financial institution!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Each time I have tried to pay association fees at BB&T it has taken 15-20 min at the window and inside the bank as well. I don't and won't bank there ever. Just need to pay association fees without taking my entire lunch break to do so.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Time is worth money and that goes for a future customer. Clueless branch manager and staff in opening an account. One hand did not know what the other was doing. Instead of giving them fancy offices and name plaques, possibly hiring staff who know basic banking and computer skills might do a world of good. Bermuda Run branch horrible and Clemmons branch no better. Find skilled labor and pay them accordingly. You not only lost me as a potential customer but also my business accounts. Very happy that I now found an excellent bank that listens and has skilled staff to take my transactions.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I was questioned by Deanna ** an employee at Nicholson Branch Bank in Independence about being on FMLA because she heard that I was off work from of a co-worker who was a relative to someone who sat next to me where I was employed. Apparently, they have no privacy act in place with their employees. That is a severe violation of my privacy and she should not be discussing my private or work life to anyone. I highly advise changing to another bank since corporate won't do anything with this big mouth. Seriously, don't she have anything else to do at work except for gossip. Stay away from BB&T if you want your privacy invaded. They also use this as a selling tool. Get your information and try to shove their services down your throat. They are a sinking ship. Do your due diligence. I closed all my accounts with BB&T.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I changed to BBT Bank partly because the company I work for uses the bank and were offering a promotion and also because I am moving to NC where the bank has a strong presence. I have had accounts there for several months now and started to experience some odd things happening, things that I had never come across in years and years of banking at B of A and Suntrust.

Their online system is OK nothing out of the ordinary, but I did notice that a lot of charges are simply listed by an address not the business name which is unusual. Makes it hard to figure out what is what when you have a lot of charges, especially when traveling. Just a nuisance, but not the end of the world I admit. I also noticed from the getgo their branch buildings are kind of dank, not very pleasant, dull colors, smelly. I have been in several of their bank buildings locally and they are all pretty much the same. The people working in them don't seem very happy either.

However, what really started to tick me off was when I brought in a Bank Cashiers Check to deposit in my account from closing Suntrust. The teller said the funds will not be available for several days. I believe it actually ended up being close to 8 days. When I asked why this was I was told of some banking regulation or other. I protested and said this is a Bank Cashiers Check - it is as good as cash. Why do I have to wait? Again, same regulation was the response. Again I protested and said I don't understand, I have never heard of, or experienced, this before at any other bank. Anyway, I let it go.

Then just today, I deposited an expenses check from my company and was again told there was a hold. A portion of the check would be available in 48 hours and the balance sometime after that. Well that was it for me. I demanded to know why that was - the check was a BBT check from my company. Again, some regulation or other. I protested saying this was not right. The teller went off and came back a few minutes later and apologized and said she did not realize it was a BBT check (it was stamped right on it in big bold letters) and said the funds will be available before close of business that day. We shall see.

I know exactly what it is they are doing, and it is not good - they are taking my (or your) money and using it to make money themselves. Remember, these are not personal checks, they are named bank and BBT checks that should be as good as cash. Holding other people's money is a common practice in business, particularly the contracting business, and this temporary positive cash flow is used by companies to make money for themselves as it flows through their books. I have just never heard of this being done by a bank. I think it is very unscrupulous. The first day I move to NC I am moving my money elsewhere. I don't trust them. I wish I had done a little more research before putting myself in this bank.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Worst bank ever. Can anyone tell me if it is legal for them to charge $8 to cash a check that was on their bank then wouldn't cash a check that was on their bank. I could understand a check that's not on that's just they said. Had to have the guy that wrote it to me to come out and tell. Cause him a trip out. That's not the first time. I recommend everyone stay away from that bank. Nothing but trouble every time I’ve been in there.

BB&T Company Information