3.4/5 (414 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About BB&T

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

BB&T Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have tried to make things work with BB&T, but today is the end for me. I had overdraft protection after 8-9 visits and calls that involved myself telling them that bb&t was just my “for kiddo” account. I paid overdraft fees close to $700 and that was AFTER I spoke with a few reps. I spoke with one today who told me that it didn’t matter if I had overdraft protection. My account is now closed and they have figured out a way to charge me $109. I am a single mom and I can not. Help. What services decide to use an old account. I will never use this again and if you’re a single parent or even someone on a budget, this is NOT the bank for you!!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Our original loan was held by a local bank, who we could actually communicate with directly. They sold our mortgage to BB&T, a regional bank, which we have had less than satisfactory communication with through the property transfer. BB&T then sold it to Fannie Mae, a large quasi Federal Government investment corporation, who BB&T cannot even communicate with efficiently (emails only).

The property transfer was a small lot to family member from a large parcel. It has been over two months and the investor (Fannie Mae) still has not approved a simple 'Partial Release' that will have no effect on their mortgage. So the penalty we get for having good credit, sufficient equity, and waiting for the process to be completed, is a two month delay. That is unacceptable and BB&T has not earned any favorable customer satisfaction. We certainly hope you do not use them for your mortgage and that they do not purchase your loan.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

We had to visit this branch the third time to get a bank card which they forgot to send when ours expired, it seemed like the persons we spoke to didnt care whether we got our bank card in time or not, 2 times she said if it dont come in 7 days come in again, by the the card would have expired.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I secured a safe deposit box at my banking location, because of insecurities at my previous address. BB&T, never changed this address and some personal checks were sent to that address and that is why I secured a safe deposit box. My banker at the time never informed me that I should secure insurance due to the problems the bank was having with previous keys, boxes, etc. I contacted the branch manager who stated there was no way anyone can enter into my safe deposit box without a key. I replied that my banker was always in the safe deposit area when I went to check my inventory.

The branch manager stated he will sent a claim to the corporate office, but each time I asked him about it, he gave me the same answer. I have been banking with BB&T for some time and I felt my banker had my interest at hand. I am told there is no camera in the area to check what could have happened. I feel disappointed and hurt that the my banker knew more than I did but did not advice me of some safety measures for my personal items in the safe deposit box.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I had some money deposited into my account over 8 months ago and my account was immediately blocked. I’ve called multiple times and no one will unblock my account. Still till this day BB&T is holding my money.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

It seems like they take at least one extra business day to process a payment to a credit card company. So far it looks like they take TWO extra days, but I am sure this cannot be right. Nothing processes on Saturdays. My old bank would process payments and deposits on Saturdays. Two direct deposits are required for free checking. Many people get paid monthly, only one deposit. I'm not sure why they have this requirement. To avoid people on benefits or social security recipients? That would be discrimination.

I tried to hit the link for customer service on the website to type a question and it did not work. For 3 days. I then called customer service and was on hold for 34 minutes. They answered: "Hello, what seems to be the problem today". I do not lie. I doubt I will get the bonus for opening the account since a merger is about to happen. We'll see. I do not know if I could handle a bank that process payments this slowly. The speed is the same as a small-town credit union. But a credit union does not require direct deposit(S) or $1,500 for free checking. I like that their ATM accepts cash and checks. I need this in my life; therefore I am trapped into banking with them in this little town.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have been with BB&T for many years. The only thing I use them for is my Social Security Deposit and changing that deposit is very difficult. The bank is very slow and costly for transfers to other my other accounts, PayPal & Charles Schwab. If you want a next day transfer from a BB&T account it is a $10 cost. The basic transfer charge is $3 and that can take as long a 5 working days and if it falls on a weekend it is longer. Recently, I have noticed, I am not seeing debit transactions for several Days. They are holding on to our money as long as they can and I am paying extra for them to do it. This may be how most Commercial Banks are operating. However, PayPal charges for transfers, but it is a tiny percentage of the transfer, free if you want to wait a couple of days. At my other institutions I see my transactions instantaneously. I think we all expect that. There are better options out there. Stay away from BB&T.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been going to my local BB&T branch for years. I've never had any problems there until today, when I had a deeply unpleasant experience, due to the incompetence, unprofessionalism, and disrespect of a new East Asian cashier. She waved me to come over to her as her previous customer walked away, but then suddenly she called the previous customer back over to her! I had to wait five more minutes, and the previous customer's business remained unresolved when they finally left! I am outraged! This cashier is a disgrace to banking, and I think there needs to be more thorough screening of prospective employees before they are hired by BB&T!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

The BB&T in Lynchburg Virginia location Rivermont Avenue has the worst manager and bank tellers. I myself has a position that deal with the public, and will never show the disdain they show for certain people. They roll their eyes while talking with you, they show frustration in assisting you with problems that involves your account. They talk down to you. I feel they need someone to awakened them to the fact the customers are more of a value to the bank, we are the ones taking the risk with our money, placing it in the bank. They only work for the bank. When their attitudes comes out, then the customer's attitude will appear also.

I had another terrible experience with the older teller on September 11th 2019. She is rude, and I was actually nice and calm with her, and the manager is the same. You need to reevaluate this branch, I noticed a lot of turnovers at this branch. And now I see why. If the manager is rude and not care about the customer, neither will the people who works up under her. I know. I am a manager/supervisor at a company and believe me you, we value our customers

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

BB&T charges for a declined transaction and call it return item fee. BB&T takes 24 months to qualify you for one refund of a high extra overdraft fee of $38. Imagine $12 was paid by BB&T and they charge $38 more than 300%..It's crazy, that's a rip off. You can imagine the billions they make from the poor every year from such exorbitant fees and the regulators of the industry allows them to carry on with this theft of depositors money. I honestly think the regulators should make the banks charge a certain percentage of how much was paid as overdraft and not this outrageous theft of a fee..exploitative banking system. Please share if you want change.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Don't give payment book. Receive bill on the 4th of month due on 13th. Throw in a weekend and you'll be late. They do this on purpose hoping you're late. Collecting late fees is how they make money. A payment book would be cheaper for them. It's gotta cost them a lot to send out but they know they'll get more late payments the way they choose to.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My credit was poor, so I got a BB&T secured credit card, which requires a deposit. The lady talked me into getting one when I was cashing my paycheck, because my employer's checks are through BB&T. The attendant said after 6 months of using it, I will get my security deposit back, (It was $400) and they will then release a regular line of credit. I emailed her after six months, she never returned my e-mail. So, I went into the bank and asked her what was going on. She told me I did not get any offers yet, and I have to wait until BB&T offers me a regular credit card.

Also, she trashed Capital One, because that was my original plan. She told me it takes years to get my money back from them. Capital One would only give me a secured credit card also, at the time I was deciding which bank to go through. Obviously, I choose BB&T. I regret my decision. Today, Capital One sent me a letter in the mail, that I got pre-approved for a platinum credit card. I filled out the application and it is on the way. I think it is ridiculous that I was able to get one through Capital One, and not my own bank. I have made ALL my payments on time, and I have improved my score drastically. It is not that I am mad that I haven't gotten one from BB&T yet, I am mad that the attendant clearly lied, right to my face & trashed talked the company that is actually helping me.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

We have had to deal with this company for 3 years as our mortgage was sold to them. We set up our mortgage payment automatic starting 9/14/2019. Guess what? They dipped into our bank account yesterday 8/22/2019. Left us without funds to buy groceries, school supplies, etc. We called and were told we would get a response in 24 hours. The most shady, shifty company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Went to make a deposit to my daughter's account who was having some challenges, with my ID in hand, to a local bank, and live in the same ZIP code, less than a mile away. Policy. No ifs, no ands, no buts... We are talking $120. Cherry topper was that the portly woman told me to "have a nice day"... To rub it in that they were NOT going to help in any way. THE WORST, never BB&T. And hope that policy gets in the way of you helping your child.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Customer service is prolly the worst unless you like sitting on the phone for 45 mins and then get hung up on. For their checking accounts well they steal money from you which I never thought that was even possible. But I guess there’s a first for everything. I would recommend Bank of America.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

HORRIBLE. I had a house fire. This mortgage company is not releasing my funds from my insurance company that has sent them checks for the repairs to my home. It’s been since March 10, 2019 and myself, my family have completed my home repairs and this mortgage company is giving every excuse in the world why they won't release my funds which is putting me in debt! After this claim is resolved which we will probably have to hire attorney I WILL BE CHANGING mortgage companies. They know we are struggling and don’t care. Customer service has no clue. Every day a different story. Even the supervisor over loss draft promised us to to get our money and we haven’t heard back from Kyle ** in months! They keep saying they're going to send an adjuster out and it's been weeks no adjuster!!! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This is the worst bank we ever banked at. We had to go into the bank every few months because of their mistakes. We were in the Gold Club and continue to charge us for fees that were covered by the Gold Club. We finally got tired of going in and closed our account . Best decision we ever made. We went to Fairmont Federal Credit Union and never looked back.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have used this bank for over 10 years and would not change. Superior customer service, excellent location, appropriate accounts to fit the needs of many. They offer other services as well. A bank I can count on!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I have been so disappointed with BB&T in the past two years after being a loyal customer for nearly 30 years. It's the habit to deduct charges before counting deposits. The online banking will show sufficient funds but then you get slammed with overdraft fees the next day when items have posted....often items from many days prior that one would assume had posted by now. And they didn't post my xmas bonus check last year until 2-3 weeks after I deposited it. As a single mom who works full time and is working on my doctorate, I need a bank that will help ensure my money goes the furthest it can, not one that tries to capitalize on my lack of time to pay attention to detail.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I have been banking with BB&T for almost 20 years. Every branch I have dealt with has always provided excellent customer service and employees who have gone above and beyond to help to me out in several emergency situations. I have used the online service since its inception. It is very user friendly and simple to navigate. When changes or updates have occurred, instructions are posted to assist with the transition. I highly recommend this bank and its online services.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I recently opened an account with BB&T, set up direct deposit, transferred some fund to the account. After couple of days: I discovered that I was not able to login to the account, call customer service and they kept on kicking me around on the phone and they later told me that my account was close. Nobody can tell me why the account was closed, I went to the branch and they told me the same thing. I hope I will be getting my deposit back (hopefully).

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I have been a loyal customer with BB&T since 2008 until today when it all changed. I called into the fraud department because I had been a victim to scam. Do you think they even attempted to help me? Not at all. I spoke with a woman by the name of "Silly" in the fraud department and she did absolutely nothing to help me but say "We get a lot of scams". I asked her if she told all if her customers that and she said "yes". Just a word to the wise before anyone decides to bank with this company rethink it. If you are in a bind with absolutely nothing to your name they will not help you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I was grandfathered into this bank as it bought out my original one years ago. I have had good service but when I needed a loan or info in financing for my first home, I was not able to get support. I stayed as my direct deposit from my former job was attached and didn't want to go through the process to change. Again, I am sure they give good service to their customers but for me I use them for only some of my banking needs.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I had this bank account for 3 years and I’ve never had so many issues! They charged me $5.00 a month (I was not told about this until after it was opened). Then, when I was told I had overdraft protection, I was hit with hundreds of dollars of overdraft fees. I keep pretty good records and somehow it always seemed that I had a new charge that I wasn’t warned of. I can not WAIT to leave this bank!!! Check out CHIME!!! It’s amazing and won’t charge you for things they allow to happen to your account.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Always pleasant at drive through window and inside. When they say, "Hello. You know by the way" they say it that they are being real.... They always have pens available and they actually work. I can also call and get a real person.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I don’t like the service fees assessed when your acct doesn’t have a certain balance. Hold times are lengthy. They don’t reverse charges a lot. I use it due to being local and focused on community banking needs.

Original review: July 27, 2019

BB&T DO NOT care about their customers! They go into your bank account and STEAL your money, hundreds of dollars at a time without notification! And then when you call to figure out why, no one knows who, why, or what is the reason! This is by farrrr THE WORST BANK EVER!!! Do yourselves a favor and close all accounts and never look back at BB&T! They are thieves! I’ll give them 0 stars if I could.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I opened an account with this Bank last week only to be told a day before my direct deposit hit that they closed my account due to address verification a day before my direct deposit hit! I wasn't notified of any of this! Last Friday my direct deposit was sent to the closed account and BB&T have not sent the money back to my employer! Do now I'm about to be evicted and I don't have my Lupus medication?

Original review: July 19, 2019

Trying to get official payoff amount valid for 10 days. 1. Went to branch, they said they can't do it. They called their center, and they said no. They put me on speaker phone and call center refused to talk directly to clients. They transferred the worker to another department, after 30 minutes on hold in their own internal system, I asked if I could pay a certain amount and get a receipt... She said, they don't take credit cards... She said they don't take debit cards, I have to got get cash.

2. Went to another branch with a letter from my buyer's credit union containing all their mandatory information and my signature requesting a payoff amount so they can finish the transaction... faxed from their branch yesterday. Today, I get a call that it was refused because there is no 'Date' section. So I can get the payoff amount on my online account, but that is not accepted by other banks. It has to be an official letter from BB&T.... and so far, BB&T has refused or cannot do this.

Original review: July 18, 2019

BB&T is by far the worst bank I have ever had! They don’t care about their customers or how long you have been a loyal customer and to top it off they have horrible customer service! Everybody cleans their hands with whatever issue you may have and say there’s nothing they can do to help you.

BB&T Company Information