2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Ameriprise Reviews

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I have been with this company for 10 years now. I just got my latest renewal bill and my rates have gone up by close to 30%. I have NOT ONE SINGLE CLAIM with this company in my entire history with them. Both of my cars are 15 years old. When I ask why, I’m simply told that there’s more accidents in my area so they have to raise prices. I don’t know what’s up with this company. I know American Family just purchased them, so maybe they just want to gouge consumers more. I should not have this kind of rate increase to pay for other people’s accidents. Cancelled my account today and signed on with another company, who gave me a lower rate than I had with Ameriprise BEFORE they raised their rates. It pays to shop around folks.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Of course, Ameriprise is a lower budget option for car insurance. But I had no idea it would be so horrific. It took over six weeks to complete my claim. I had to make over ten phone calls and several dozen emails to get the information I needed. The omissions and misrepresentations occurred during every single stage in the claims process, from initial estimate to returning the rental call. In the end, due to Ameriprise's own failures, I wound up having to spend $170 of my own funds for the rental car, which I had to return before even receiving my total compensation check. Ameriprise would not even elevate this loss to management or receive feedback on these failures. I question whether their practices are even legal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Show one auto insurance policy quote online. Firm quote, no disqualifications, no declaration. But when you go buy policy and call their customer service number they give you a different much higher quote. Though no information has changed between what I entered online to what was discussed on the phone with the rep. Rep pulled my online quote also but their quote was much higher. They say they did not have VIN numbers, but online it picked-up every piece of information automatically about my vehicles and drivers so they had it all available with the address, including model type, specific features about each vehicle we own. And the online quote they gave a firm number did not qualify that the estimate is out of nowhere. I consider this as unethical business practice, waste customer time having them to enter 5 pages of information, using their personal private information and use waste the time again to reverify every single piece of information on the phone. Waste over 30 minutes to give them much higher quote than market. Also brings Costco credibility down.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Received an offer to switch to Costco Insurance (Ameriprise). Said I could save over 569.00. Spent about 40 min answering questions. After all that I was informed they could not insure my 2019 F350 because, get this....I might be hauling a trailer. That's after he asked me if I wanted to insure my 2015 5th wheel trailer which BTW they could not insure because it was too big? (33 ft) I am 58 w/ perfect record and wife is 55 w/ perfect record. Honestly, I am sooo glad this happened because after that I read reviews... WOW, what a company. Can't believe Costco is PUSHING this insurance on their customers. Just because it's Costco doesn't mean it's any good. WASTE OF TIME.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Stay away from the auto insurance company!!! I have been with Ameriprise Auto insurance for more than eight years. Pay for full coverage and rental car but won't approve anything!!! They only know how to take your money but don't wanna help if you have a claim!!! They are cheap for a reason!! They want to find all ways to deny your claim. As a consumer you buy auto insurance for peace of mind. Put in a claim and they hire big attorneys to intimidate and treat you unfairly. Horrible service from claim adjusters especially Brian ** and blame you for the accident instead of trying to help you, badger me with irrelvant questions and then say claim is on hold!!! Waste money on fake insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

At first I was enticed by their low prices. But low prices come at a heavy cost. Worst customer service I've ever experienced and like others have mentioned they keep moving the goal posts. Horrible communication, I'd hate to go through an actual claim with them. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I am a satisfied Costco member for years. All my cars are insured with Geico for many years. Decided to make change to Costco insurance after many solicitations from them. Spent 40 minutes on telephone giving the agent all the details. Have no tickets, accidents, etc for 25 years. At the end of process the agent said they were not able to offer collision and comprehension coverage on my five cars. Three cars are Porsche, one BMW, one 1996 Ford truck. Credit history excellent with no loans on cars. They will not insure. I am 77 years old and wonder what kind of customer Costco is Looking for. Do not waste your time with Costco insurance unless you have bad credit and junk cars.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had a policy with them for home/condo insurance for a few years. Then one year I rented my unit out and had to get renters insurance with a different company as they did not provide this. When my tenants left, I called to reinstate an old policy. The person speaking to me on the phone updated all the information; I paid by credit card and they emailed me the new home insurance policy which had all the information and details including start date, price, coverage. When I went to the Ameriprise website to check and possibly renew an auto policy, I found out that my home/condo insurance was cancelled and not effective the date they told me. No one bothered to let me know what was going on.

I emailed to ask what happened and got an email back stating that the policy never went through due to credit card issues. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with my credit card and I verified this. What irks me is that NOBODY from Ameriprise even bothered to let me know that there was an issue and the policy was cancelled. So if I did not bother to check online for a different policy, I would have never known. I would have operated under the assumption that I had full coverage. They let my coverage lapse and it could have lead to bigger issues and problems for me. I would never trust this company every again.

Over the last few years I have had multiple issues with them. Customer service has been so poor. I am also going to switch out the auto policy I have with them. Costco needs to know the issues. It is the only reason I am with them - because I am a member of Costco. Horrible service. I would never recommend this company to anyone anymore. They used to be good. Not anymore. Costco needs to cut them off and find a better vendor to partner with. Please write to Costco to complain about this as well which is what I will be doing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Please, please do not invest your money in this company. First watch the John Oliver show on retirement plans to understand how companies like Ameriprise charge high fees and end up making very little money for their customers. Managers like Kerry ** will never tell you the real story of why they are not making good returns and tell the truth about as much as crooked politicians. In the 10-15 years that our mother trusted them, Ameriprise earned 3 times as much money as they returned to our mother's retirement funds. STAY CLEAR of them. You can get the same or better services for one third the cost which, when compounded over 10, 20 or more years is a huge amount.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Ameriprise admitted to making a mistake that caused my coverage to lapse, they didn't notify me for three months. When they did, they said I would have to pay for the period during my lapse, or my 10 years of relationship would be lost, and I would have to pay the "No Prior Insurance" rates. Talk about abuse of power, coercion, manipulation and disrespect. I have never written a negative review like this before. I just thought someone should know. This time the house didn't win, I switched to GEICO.

Ameriprise Company Information