Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had been a Verizon wireless customer for years. Even with a 19% faculty discount, my monthly bill was over $110 just for service in the U.S. Last February when my husband and I were on an African safari, I asked a woman who was a member of our group to email me a picture of a bird I had been unable to capture. She did. Apparently, my data overage was .016. Verizon charged me $15.00 for it, and I was annoyed enough to change carriers to Altice Mobile as an Optimum customer for $20 a month with unlimited talk and data. My husband’s and my lines on each number came to $21.96 apiece, a considerable saving.

Then, we lost all cable services from August 4-11 after a storm. I thought I could use my cell phone, but I could not be heard, had dropped calls, could not email, or text Altice Mobile. Sure enough, the company charged me the full rate for the month. I tried to reach a representative for more than three weeks with no success before I filed a complaint with the New York State Attorney General’s Office and Better Business Bureau. Both government offices refused to step in until I contacted Altice Mobile, an utter impossibility.

Since my American Express credit card is automatically billed each month, I set up a dispute on both charges online and asked for a week’s credit on each. This was done within a few days. Problem solved. American Express has OUTSTANDING customer service and live representatives to help with problems. Altice Mobile should take a page out of their training if they want to retain clientele. Just read the customer dissatisfaction on Yelp for a broader perspective on how to incense people and lose business.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

My daughter was excited to get a $50 FIFTY American Express SERVE gift card in May. She was saving it for a special purchase. That special purchase came this month on shoes she wanted to buy from Amazon. Tried to check out? SORRY little lady but you have $18 EIGHTEEN dollars on your gift card! But that's weird she thought, "I HAVE NEVER USED THIS GIFT CARD." I got on the phone to look at transaction history? Approximately $7 in fees deducted from her GIFT card monthly dwindling down to less than $20 TWENTY bucks. This is a scam. You don't take money from a gift recipient. Have they lost their minds with Greed? The only purpose is to SERVE American Express. They can trash all their products. Garbage.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Opened a dispute 3 weeks ago and was informed that in order for the process to continue, I would have to fill out the forms THAT THEY WOULD SEND IN AN EMAIL. 14 phone calls later over the past 3 weeks, and I have yet to receive THEIR form. They have lied about sending it, they have hung up on my calls when I ask to speak to a supervisor - THEY DO NOT GIVE A CRAP about the customer. DO NOT USE SERVE! Go somewhere else!!!! WHEN will I get the form? (Never. Question answered).

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Overall been pretty happy with all you can do with this card but within the last couple weeks purchases at grocery store or Amazon are coming with a hefty authorization charge I assume. Was never notified of these charges with purchases so I'm warning people now. If you're on a budget they will put extra on hold and make you wait till it drops off. This is unacceptable to me and unnecessary so I will not be using them any longer. Ty.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

UPDATED 08/11/2020: Just posted on 8/5/20 about their illegal practices. Once again they are putting holds on your account for a greater dollar amount that was charged with grocery stores and Amazon. When you call them all they say is that it is a computer glitch. This is illegal and I will stop using this card. My direct deposit goes on this card which is hard to switch but what they are doing is illegal.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: For the past couple of weeks after I use my card they are putting my entire balance on hold. Example: Used my card for a Amazon purchase of $39.95 and this company put my entire balance of $189.09 on for that charge. Called them and they told me it would fall off my card in a few days my balance would be adjusted properly. They are taking our money illegally.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I have had NO bad experience with The American Express Serve card. I would recommend this card if you know how to manage your money and account. My direct deposit have gone through each week with no problems and everything I purchase come right out of my account. It seems that there must be a lot of people out there who do not know how to manage their money. This is a great card and I would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I sold a car to my co worker. He wired me 5,000 from his account. The wire went through then they suspended my account saying it was a direct deposit which it wasn't. They won't email any documents supporting the reason they lock your account. They didn't even tell me account was suspended. My contract worker asked for his money back and he had to send some letter called Indemnity letter or something after doing so no response from them it's been a month my account was permanently suspended but yet I still get emails from them saying my account balance is 5000? They hold your money under your social security number they tell you, you cannot close your account. This company doesn't have Americans you can speak with only India. They will not email anything on the subject - only talk on the phone. Please anyone with class action info email me **.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I put $500 on American Express Serve card. I tried to register 17 times and it wouldn’t register me. Finally they said they wouldn’t accept my registration. In the meantime I can’t get my money back. I have to spend it. They said they have no way to refund my money. I have to spend it on their card. I really need my money to pay my bills but I can’t because American Express is holding it hostage. Please do not do business with a company it’s from out of the United States. It’s a horrible company. You can hardly understand what the people are saying and they are rude.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Back on Saturday, March 7, 2020 I loaded 178.00 and paid 3.45 fee in NYC which is supposed to be a FREE re-load. It is now June 29, 2020 and still no funds! They denied my claim and it show a load to my card on my account, but no amount is listed. So they know that money was loaded but they are refusing to return my funds to me. All these months I have been trying to contact someone and yesterday I finally get someone and they promptly hung up. Please free yourself! You have the chance to be stress free. Run, run as fast as you can from this company.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Do not purchase a Serve Free Reloads card! Never in my life have I given a bad review or complaint to any company, however, in this instance I make an exception. I purchased a Serve Free Reloads card at my local CVS 3 days ago and had no problem paying the $3 dollar purchase fee. As soon as I got home and tried to use the card to make my father's day gift purchases I found that I was unable to complete my purchases due to insufficient funds. Upon checking my balance on the Serve website and also calling customer service, I found that I had been charged an additional $7 dollar fee for the month despite having already paid a $3 dollar fee and only having had the card for a matter of hours at the time of attempted use.

Were I to be charged a monthly fee after having actually had the card for a month it would make more sense, however, being charged a total of $10 dollars in fees in the space of one evening and without any indication of extra fees on the package I find myself extremely angry and American Express will never get another penny out of me in this lifetime.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I had a deposit from unemployment deposited into my account for my fiancee. The first went through but the second deposit they cut my account off completely. Told me against policy rules and I have called and called and they told me I would receive a refund by check. I never got it. Called again and was told I had to write a letter for refund. They stole right at 794.00 and have not repaid the money owed to me.

Original review: June 6, 2020

They will suspend your credit card account and tell you to write a letter and customer service agents are based in Asia.. They are rude and disrespectful. This card company is a complete rip off. They are scammers!!! Jackson Hewitt should cancel them!!!

Original review: May 20, 2020

They said I violated a direct deposit and only one I have is unemployment. Worked last week fine but now they shut the account with all unemployment funds, 275 bal. And a return. And told me nothing I can do.

Original review: May 20, 2020

So I placed an order online for shoes. Transaction went through. After a few weeks I said where’s my order. I emailed the shoe place. They said it was declined. I was like, "What? Where’s my money?" Idk. Can’t get through to talk to anyone. Money is still MIA.

Original review: May 16, 2020

First of all I waited over 2 HOURS!!!! On the phone waiting to be credited back money they took out FOR NO REASON! No one had an answer and I was transferred l 5 times for the same bs answer???? Secondly, they are holding over 500 dollars in money from my account that they have to hold for 7 days and no way to release the funds before then!!! My family needs this money to live and Amex serve doesn’t care! Customer service is horrible and I’ll be withdrawing all my money from this horrible company!

Original review: May 16, 2020

I woke up May 15 trying sign into my account because I received a direct deposit and it wouldn't let me log in. Come to find out they locked me out and told me they would request I receive a refund for my funds but if decline I cant receive my money. I have $2,000 on my card and they telling me I no longer has accessed to it. They blocked my number from calling and told me it nothing they can do. I called several times. I been with serve two almost three years I never had a problem until now

Original review: May 15, 2020

Don't get this card. My stimulus money was deposited. I logged in and saw my balance. After, every single transaction I've tried to make with the exception of one has been declined. No reason for it AT ALL. The money is showing in the account. Don't bother trying to call customer service to try to find out why they're being declined. You'll be on hold for hours and end up getting hung up on before you get to speak to a human being.

The last transaction I tried to make was for an online purchase. According to the company I was ordering from, the transaction didn't go through. On my SERVE account that amount is frozen for who knows how long. That's $188 I don't have access to and probably won't have access to for weeks, or ever. Who knows with this company?

I tried to pay an online bill. Declined. I tried to pay for groceries. Declined. I tried to place online orders. Declined or frozen. I tried to remove cash from an ATM. Declined. The list goes on. I've dealt with some pretty bad companies over the years but I thought American Express wouldn't be one of them. Boy, was I wrong. I wish I would have read reviews before agreeing to this card. I have cash that I don't have access to and can't use. Horrible card.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Wtf!!!! I am so rip ** at these **. Serve sent me an email telling me my federal taxes were deposited and ready for use. That’s amazing considering my balance was zero!!. I checked the IRS website and they sent it there soooo. Wtf!! No one answers the phone and I’m starting to lose my **. If I hear that dumb ** voice say due to the coronavirus no one’s available one more time I swear! How unprofessional can you possibly be. This is a dire time for pretty much everyone so the fact these morons are locking us out of our accounts for literally nothing and showing a zero balance is complete **. Excuse my language but, enough is enough. I truly hope the IRS will transfer the funds out of there and into my own account. Do not deal with these idiots! Save yourself the trouble! I wish I had done my research but I thought Credit Karma wouldn’t steer me wrong. I may call them also. Someone needs to correct this Bc it’s unfair to everyone

Original review: May 9, 2020

My Serve account has been locked since I loaded my card with 500.00. I keep getting fraud messages that some company is trying to get 549.00. When I try to call then, no answer. I have stayed on the phone for hours at a time trying to get a human to no avail. I think that they are stealing money from the customers and then they plan to go bankrupt. This company is no longer reputable. A class action suit need to be filed, so that we can at least know what is going on with this company. They are lying and cheating the customers out of their money. Noticed that this did not start until Covid-19 came on the scene. I just want my money. They owe me. If I could give them zero stars, I definitely would.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Not only is the customer service horrible for serve, it is always bad. They locked my account several times for no reason and wait up to an hour to reach someone. This is shocking to think they are associated with AX because they have fantastic customer service.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Well American Express Serve locked me out of my account and say they talk to someone else that’s the owner of my account and all, my SSI and Tax Refund with to it, now I am dying for hungry, can’t get no help. Each time I call and get someone they disconnected the call on me and say they call the truth owner which these person are crazy, they don’t even ask to prove my identity by request documents. I am so mad at this time because these theft.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I received notice from IRS that my stimulus money was put on my Serve card on 4/30 its now 5/2 still not on my card? Wtf. I tried customer service. Just a joke. Just get hung up on, there's no way to email them either, also I used to get weekly emails from them on my balance. They suddenly stopped? I contacted the MN Dept of Commerce and filed a complaint, I told the lady what was going on with this crap company of thieves not only to me but to thousands of others and she told me to let people know to contact your state dept of commerce immediately with complaint. Good luck all!

Original review: May 1, 2020

My card is part of this lockdown! I just waited on hold 2 hours and 15 minutes just to be hung up on! Same thing yesterday! Just unlock the cards! I know after I get my money off of it I am burning mine! I've been a customer for over 10 years and have NEVER been this disgusted with a company before! It's ridiculous!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I have had the American Express Serve card for about two years now. Just recently with the stimulus payment coming out is the only time I have had an issue. My stimulus payment posted and I didn’t think that I should have had to go and withdraw it all immediately but within two days 21 different transactions were made and wiped out all of my stimulus funds. Called the contact number and after waiting at least 30 minutes got a person and then they put me on hold again only to have me waiting for hours and still got no one on the line. I’m hoping since this has happened to so many that they can resolve this and get people their money back and if not I will be looking into a lawsuit.

Original review: April 30, 2020

You can read all the people who have rated Amex Serve during the Covid-19 pandemic. I fit with everyone else in the Month of April 2020. Unable to log-in under any circumstances and telephone communication is an endless loop for hours, indefinitely. I called (212) 640-200 and spoke to New York headquarters. They recommended the following:

1. Stay on the customer support line until you reach someone.

2. File a complaint in writing to: Atten: Steve Squeri, Office Chairman American Express PO Box 2425 Church Street Station New York, NY 10007 (or) email: chairmansoffice@aexp.com. Atten: steve squeri.

I would like to ask: If someone would help us that has a degree in Jurisprudence, Please take our case as Pro Bono or on Contingency for a Class Action. No information on the website as to reasoning to the Account Lockdown/Lockout. I feel they have a duty to provide compensation for the loss of use for services AND access to account holder funds/money. They have made a bad situation for all account holders and this is just plain POOR planning on their part. What a FAIL! Thanks for making us starve and beg for our money so that we can eat and live. Your shenanigans will not be rewarded. If you'd like to contact me regarding this please feel free to email me: Atten: Robert **. I cannot promise an immediate reply, but you'll be on file should I locate an attorney who will work on this for us.

Original review: April 29, 2020

04/14/2020 Went and did my taxes through Credit Karma. At the end of my taxes was offered a American Express Serve card. So I gave them my address. A week passed and no card. Call them and they said they're sending a card. Today is 04/29/2020. Still no card. If I don’t receive this card by Sat. 05/3/2020 I will be contacting BBB in Arizona and filing a fraud will IRS, etc.

Original review: April 23, 2020

My regular federal taxes were deposited 4/15/20 on an American Express Serve cards through Credit Karma, when I filed my taxes. 4/23/20 I'm hoping my federal return is still on the serve card. I haven't been able to activate the card. I've tried online, through their app and only gotten to step 3. Which says to call customer service to finish activation. I call customer service and a) wait on hold for an hour or two, the call gets dropped, b) told to finish my activation online or on the app. Basic circle jerk. There's no one to speak with or help. The automated system on the phone says I have money on my serve card. The website and app says I have $0.00. Has anyone started a lawsuit or filed anything with the Better Business Bureau?

Original review: April 22, 2020

I was locked out of my account as well after trying to request a new card, if your account is locked call ‭1 (800) 660-2454‬ not the number on the website. This will take you directly to account protection. I waited 3 hours & finally was able to get my account unlocked. Still not a fan, & this is completely unacceptable. My advice is to find time where you can be productive & wait at the same time! Just trying to pay it forward!

Original review: April 22, 2020

My card was locked out of the blue, I have had my stimulus deposited. The day after it deposited I was locked out. I have call all hrs day and night for 6 days for up to 2 hrs then disconnected. My paycheck now has dropped. I got Bill's. I'm afraid they have stole my money after reading other post. Have any one started a lawsuit.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I was given one of these ridiculous cards via Jackson Hewitt tax service. They told me I would get an advance on my taxes (which of course I was declined for). I received taxes back on card ok. Now with the stimulus payments, I have yet to receive the payment and when I try to call customer service, a recording says "we don't have any info on stimulus payments" and hangs up. Now I want to close this ridiculous account which I do not use, and have $0.01. It's making me withdraw money via my bank, but now have to wait 5-7 business days for them to "verify" my bank account. By far one of the WORST cards/customer service I have ever experienced. If you are offered this card from Jackson Hewitt as they lure you in with the BS line "You could get up to $3,000 advance on your tax money" DECLINE!! JH probably gets a major kickback from AMEX when they open you up for this terrible card. On to review the other incompetents, Jackson Hewitt!!!

American Express Serve Company Information