Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.96/5

321 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 15, 2019

I’ve been with American Express Serve for many years just to upload money to make certain payments, I finally choose to trust in them to receive my employment direct deposit and tax refund. Someone did fraud on my account $605 dollars a fee. I called and reported it. They told me they’ll send me an email to dispute it and wait 10 days, I sent them evidence that on those days I was at work many many miles away from the location of fraud transactions. For them to tell me I was denied my stolen money. I asked them to please explain why and what “investigation” they did and all they told me was the team doesn’t get on the phone. All I can do I write them a letter???! I don’t recommend this card service to anyone unless you are willing to give away your money to thieves... I am completely heartbroken.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I’ve done business with AmEx Serve for close to four years and I’ve loved the way their customer service were consistently polite, helpful, professional, courteous, knowledgeable, spoke clearly and well mannered. They would expedite all cases. I’ve never left a grievance or a bad review in nearly 4 years. But something is wrong with AmEx Serve when I read the other reviews I couldn’t believe this is the same company. But as of late it is nearly impossible to reach a customer service representative. They are not at all the same as just a few months ago. I’ve decided to take my case to court. I just have no other alternative.

Original review: March 14, 2019

So I only received the Amex Serve to file my taxes. Well my entire wallet was stolen on January 26th. I immediately reported the card stolen. Somehow the person was able to use my card 10 times as credit no pin and Amex Serve allowed it totaling up to $400. So I call highly upset and they continue saying, "I understand." "No you don't." Long story short made me wait 45 days for an investigation just to decline my dispute. I've talked to supervisors managers everyone. This makes no sense. I'm so done with this company. I'm a single mother who's been put in a bind. Thanks to this stupid company. Can't wait to cut ties. DONT GET THIS CARD. WASTE OF TIME.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I went and bought a $10 American Express Serve card for my niece's phone. The card worked the first time then the card was declined on the second payment. Which the money is supposedly sitting on the card. I have called the number and it's now a sweepstakes hotline! I have had this problem numerous times. The last time it was almost $2500 from a school check. They need to be shut down.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I paid my deposit for my apartment then I get a call asking why did I reverse the payment. I told the manager that I did not reverse any payments. Called customer service to ask about the reversal. This guy told me that I would have to wait 7 to 10 days. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was when I paid my actual credit payment which was reversed and my credit card account was closed because of this reversal. They need to stop issuing these cards!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: March 13, 2019

On March 7th I requested 380.00 dollars from an authorized ATM but, the machine denied it although American Serve took the money from my account. I have receipt showing the money was never dispensed and every time I call I am put on hold for up to 2 hours and then told they have no record. Even though I have proof they still will not return it. They are a huge fraud. DO NOT USE THEIR CARD.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Starting in December 2018, I found numerous transactions on my American Express Serve card that were not mine for hundreds of dollars, reported them, and was denied getting my money returned. I had evidence proving it wasn't me but was denied. In January 2019, it happened again. Those were in 3 different states on the same day. Impossible for me to have done. I was just denied again. It's outrageous. The card can only be used as a credit card and not once have I signed or been asked for identification to protect the account from fraudulent use. I've called and been told to write a letter asking for what evidence they have I wasn't using the card. This is just my first public letter. Many more will be sent. American Express has no idea the lengths I'll go to have MY money returned.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My first complaint is that it so hard to reach a live person on the customer service line on the back of my card. My second complaint is that their representatives do not know squat about the card. Now I am having the same problem as everyone else - I pay a bill and it gets returned if I do not use the Serve.com site. If I pay on my credit card sites then the payment is rejected and I not only do not get my bill paid but I am charged $50.00 each for a returned payment because it did not go thru.

This cause unnecessary fees such as the returned item fee which is the same as an NSF charge, get charged a late fee on my charge accounts and American Express keeps my money for 5 -10 days. Right now I have $100.00 in returned fees on 2 of my payments and they are listed on my payee list, I have $107.00 being held on my cell phone payment causing it to be disconnected. I will get the $107.00 back eventually but I'm just out the $100.00 fees. Does anyone else have a problem paying METRO PCS? THIS CARD IS HORRIBLE. DO NOT PURCHASE!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I paid 2 bills online, and ordered an item using American Express Serve. Now the companies that I paid the bills to are saying my payments were returned but where is the money that was deducted from account! I used this card for my tax return and the fees are also ridiculous. Will never use this card again! Now the electric company and the cable company want their money but where is it at?

Original review: March 9, 2019

Call March 3rd. My information was stolen and my card was used in Guatemala. I'm in the United States of America. I called in and let the guys know that that wasn't me that process those transactions. They told me to call back once the transactions have been went through so I call back once the transactions posted to my account. I opened up a dispute for nine transactions because the other two didn't go through. There were 11 transactions in all. When I opened up the dispute I was told it can take up to 10 days.

The next day on March 8th I received the email saying that I was denied my dispute because I authorized the transactions in which I didn't. They claim that the merchant say that it was me and how could it be me if I'm in the United States. I've never left the United States. I've never been to Guatemala so I put in another dispute. I I'm currently going to take legal action against American Express due to the fact that they know their systems have been hacked and they're refusing to give me my money so I'm getting a lawyer. I'm actually going to be pressing charges and I'm going to put American Express and the merchants that's saying I'm the one that process and authorized transactions. They are going in my lawsuit also. Do not get any products from this company. They are a bunch of thieves. And anyone else has happened to you guys to take legal action also.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have four charges on my card back to back for one shake. They are unable to do a chargeback although I’ve had debit cards before that do a chargeback in seconds. Was told if it doesn’t drop off in 7-10 business days (two weeks which is when I get paid again and live check to check otherwise wouldn’t have this wack debit card) THEN they can dispute. Which could take up to 30 days. So I ordered a card through Card.com. Literally changing my direct deposits as soon as it comes in and AmEx is going in the trash. For a card hardly no one wants to take for payment. You’d think the company would want to keep the few who fool with them. They obviously don’t wanna keep me so I’m not gonna force it. As soon as my money is returned our business relationship is OVER.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We filed our taxes through Jackson Hewitt. Elected to use serve card for the first time for direct deposit of refund. IRS sent refund on 27th of Feb. Still nothing on card on March 7. No one answers the phone! When they do they hang up or send back to automated line!! How have they not been shut down yet for Fraud??? How long has it taken others to get refund on card after IRS said they sent it???

Original review: March 2, 2019

I received my tax refund on my serve card in a timely manner, however I went to purchase gas, swiped inside of the store and it said invalid transaction, card not recognized. First thing I did was go to an atm to withdraw money and see if my funds were stolen. It let me withdraw money, so then I went to a fast food restaurant and tried to pay for my order using the card and it said the same thing. I was so embarrassed another customer offered to pay for my meal. So once again I go to an atm and called to check my balance on the card. I’m not sure why it’s not letting me swipe and purchase like a regular debit/ credit card??? So to anyone that this may help and save the embarrassment, just withdraw the cash because the card won’t allow you to purchase anything.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Ok so I have been a Serve customer for over 7 yrs now. Never had a problem with getting my funds back in a timely fashion when I returned something until now. I just got the shock of my life. Serve is holding my funds for 7 days like it fraud. Heck they are retuning my money and you are giving me holy h to get it back. I will not be using Serve again. Keep up the horrible job and others do not use them. Guess they need the interest of hold peoples money for 7 days without a real explanation.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have had a good experience with Bluebird for many years now. I got my tax refund sent to my account. Within hours someone had taken over my account and spent almost 4400 of my money. I asked how someone could access the account with out verifying security question date of birth social seurity number or the adress and phone number to the account. They changed everything on the account aside from the username and card number. When I call to figure it out then I have to verify my information several times in order to even file a report.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had my tax refund sent to the card they sent me and in less than a day after I received my refund, my card was hacked by two individuals whom I DO NOT KNOW nor did I AUTHORIZE the transactions. I IMMEDIATELY call and open an investigation and was told it would take 10 business days to be completed. Two days later I am advised through email that my investigation was declined. WHAT? I IMMEDIATELY call and was advised I could write a letter to appeal. Well I went a couple of steps better after writing a letter. Filed a complaint with the BBB against them. Filed an online FBI Fraud report against Serve and the two individuals and filed a fraud police report with my local police. This company is a complete JOKE.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I CALL American Express Serve on January 13 2019 to report a unauthorized charge of $3.16 from Foot Locker. The representative told me that they would lock my account until I am ready to order a replacement card, but if I needed to access my funds I can give them a call. On Feb 15 I called to gain access to my funds so that I can pay a bill and have then have the card lock after the transaction was completed. Come to find the negligent representative never lock the card and now 640.00 of my hard earned money has been stolen off my card for a gas station purchase. American Express Serve does not take responsibility for their product or the negligence of their employee and now I’m getting the run around on if they will give me my money back. Don't walk, run from this company. They are frauds.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was a customer for over 3 years until this 2019...turns out American Express Serve gave me a whole new routing and account number with informing me they were doing so, upon me doing my tax return come to find out they changed my whole account. Now there's a big delay in receiving my taxes. Very disappointing, was never informed not one single email!! I will be closing my account with them and moving on to "Chime".

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had my card stolen a week ago. Someone had charged my a card a “mere” 14.86. I tried to call and get my money refunded. I was hung up on! I also was supposed to get a refund on a movie I did not go to. There is no way to send documentation to prove I was supposed to get refunded the money. I got this card because I did a refund advance on my taxes. Thank God I have a checking account. Once the money comes in on my Serve account, I will be transferring it to my bank and cutting up the card. Customer service is rude and a joke!!! They don’t listen!!! Do not under any circumstances get this card!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Today is February 13th 2019. I made my claim on February 03 2019. I had a 300$ fraudulent charge from Kids Foot Locker on my card. I have never shopped there, Never lost or misplaced my card. I call them up and they tell me to fill out the fraudulent charge form. I do as I am told. Turn in the forms (online). Everything! I receive an email saying they will get back to me in the next few days. A few days pass and I call them up. They tell me the system is down. So they can’t check the status of my case BUT I have to wait 10 days from beginning of the case to receive an update. (If I will be temporarily credited backed if the investigation has to go further etc.) So I wait exactly ten days from the day and I call the customer service.

I put in my Information on the automated phone and it tells me my pin is incorrect. Before when you called you got I contact with a human in a few min. Now it was saying my pin was incorrect. I’ve never had to input my pin on the phone to speak to a person. I can’t get in contact with them. No matter any number I call it’s the same thing. So I call American Express directly. I call this number 1(866)-207-7970. Online it’s listed as a customer service number. Someone picks up and I explain my situation. They tell me I’ve actually called the gift card line and they will transfer Me. They transfer me to the same number I first called that told me I can’t access my account.

SO I call American Express customer service again 1(866)-207-7970. A man answers. He tells me, “This is the gift card department.” I tell him what has happened and is there any way he can transfer me to an actual person. NOT the same Serve customer service number. He transfers my call. The automated voice says, “This is the Serve customer service. An associate will be with you.” I wait 4 min. A lady answers the phone, tells me the system is down and she can’t access any Information. I explain my entire situation to her (I am very exhausted at this point). She tells me to call back in an hour. I tell her, “Can I please speak to a supervisor.” She says “ok I will get someone for you. Sorry I couldn’t help”. She transfers me.

I am transferred to a HOTEL RESERVATION phone number. For making hotel reservations and checking the status of your reservation. She transferred to a whole other business. Just to clarify I was reporting the fraud of 300$ BUT I also have 400$ In the account. I try to sign into the Serve mobile app. It won’t let me sign in. Says my account is locked. I try to call again, go through this entire exhausting experience again to be eventually transferred to a hotel reservation number. THEY STOLE 700$ from me.

I have no idea what to do or how to get any of my money back. I tried to use the card in a store and it declined. I have no idea what to do!!! Please listen to the reviews. Do Not get this card. I am literally standing here with no money right now. My hard worked money is GONE. I contacted my employer. They tell me my money has been deposited to my account and they cannot give me more money. They tell me to figure it out with my bank. So yea I lost 700$.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Today is February 13th 2019. I made my claim on February 03 2019. I had a 300$ fraudulent charge from Kids Foot Locker on my card. I have never shopped there, never lost or misplaced my card. I call them up and they tell me to fill out the fraudulent charge form. I do as I am told. Turn in the forms (online). Everything! I receive an email saying they will get back to me in the next few days. A few days pass and I call them up. They tell me the system is down. So they can’t check the status of my case BUT I have to wait 10 days from beginning of the case to receive an update. (If I will be temporarily credited backer if the investigation has to for farther etc).

So I wait exactly ten days from the day and I call the customer service. I put in my information on the automated phone and it tells me my pin is incorrect. Before when you called you got I contact with a human in a few min. Not it was saying my pin was incorrect. I’ve never had to input my pin on the phone to speak to a person. I can’t get in contact with them. No matter any number I call it’s the same thing. So I call American Express directly. I call this number 1(866)-207-7970. Online it’s listed as a customer service number. Someone picks up and I explain my situation. They tell me I’ve actually called the gift card line and they will transfer me.

They transfer me to the same number I first called that told me I can’t access my account. SO I call American Express customer service again 1(866)-207-7970. A man answers. He tells me this is the gift card department. I tell him what has happened and is there any way he can transfer me to an actual person. NOT the same serve customer service number. He transfers my call. The automated voice says, "This is the Serve customer service. An associate will be with you." I wait 4 min. A lady answers the phone tells me the system is down and she can’t access any information. I explain my entire situation to her (I am very exhausted at this point) she tells me to call back in an hour. I tell her can I please speak to a supervisor. She says “ok I will get someone for you sorry I couldn’t help.”

She transfers me. I am transferred to a HOTEL RESERVATION phone number. For making hotel reservations and checking the status of your reservation. She transferred to to a whole other business. Just to clarify I was reporting the fraud of 300$ BUT I also have 400$ in the account. I try to sign into the Serve mobile app. It won’t let me sign in says my account is locked.

I try to call again - go through this entire exhausting experience again to be eventually transferred to a hotel reservation number. THEY STOLE 700$ from me.

I have no idea what to do or how to get any of my money back. I tried to use the card in a store and it declined. I have no idea what to do!!! Please listen to the reviews. Do not get this card. I am literally standing here with no money right now. My hard worked money is GONE. I contacted my employer. They tell me my money has been deposited to my account and they cannot give me more money. They tell me to figure it out with my bank. So yeah I lost 700$.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Take heed!!! Do not purchase the American Express Serve card. I returned a purchase to a local dept. store over 2 weeks ago and they will not give me my money back! I am a single mother & I cannot afford this. It amuses me because every time that I call, the representative will say, "I understand, but you can't have your money." They are thieves! They will steal your money from you!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

On February 4, 2019 American Express Serve company locked my card and access to my account and said it was due to fraud. When I called the representative said something about the card being linked to another person's account and immediately cancelled my account and said they will not issue a refund of the money in my account which was $230. I also saw a fraudulent charge of $150.00 from a gas station Racing Mart that they didn’t resolve or answer. I then asked to speak to a supervisor resulting in the representative putting me on hold then hanging up. When I called back An automated system said my account was closed and hung up.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Worst customer service out there. If you want to have your account access revoked after you report a fraudulent charge this is the card for you. If you want to wait on hold for hours speak to a supervisor and then have them hang up in your face many different times then this is the card for you. If you want to call the automated number after they revoke your access and still have all your money and be hung up on this is the card for you. Horrible service. They've stolen my money. I can't get in touch with anyone. Run run run from this company. Don't look back. Wish I could give them negative stars and the bird sign.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I somehow made a duplicate payment on Amex Everyday. I wanted to the minimum but by accident hit full balance which was $4,400. I was shocked then next day got a email stating payment was declined! I called in. They explained that this take var will attempt 3 times before stops. They told there is nothing they can do. I just signed up for auto pay and I regret this completely. I have been with this card for 29 YEARS and this is what I get. I will care of this mess and I will cancel this cards. This will affect my credit in a negative and they could care less.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have used this card for three years and never had an issue until today. My direct deposit which is usually on my card by 4:30 is still not available at 10:00. Customer Service says they have no record of my deposit from my employer but I know that’s a lie. I have called 4 times and gotten the same dumb line (after waiting on hold for 10-15 minutes) time and again. DO NOT USE THIS CARD!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

In early December I lost my card. I phoned for a replacement, was told it would arrive in 7-10 business days. Card did not arrive. On December 23 I phoned customer service (CS) to find out what happened. CS reported that card was deemed undeliverable by USPS and returned to AMEX. I asked what address it had been sent to. CS informed me that it had been sent to the address of my ex-girlfriend. I informed CS that was not the right address. I immediately suspected that my ex-girlfriend had accessed my account, because I had never lived w/ her, nor had I ever used her address. The only reason that it was sent back to AMEX was because my last name was never on her mailbox. CS agreed to send out a new card to the correct address. I immediately accessed my account online and updated my password, security question, and email address. I'm sure these changes would block any access my ex-girlfriend might have.

The card arrived on 1/4. I attempted to activate the card online, but after several attempts was blocked by the site; the site indicated I inputted the wrong card number. I had to call CS. CS informed me that this was the first card sent out and that another card was still in the mail and should arrive on 1/5. The next day no card arrived. As I was paid on the first of the month, I still had no access to my money. I decided to send my money to my step-father's Serve account. My step-father agreed to give me the money when transferred. I attempted to do this on 1/5, but was blocked. I phoned my step-father to determine if there was something wrong with Serve. He attempted to send $5 to my account; he succeeded.

On 1/6 I phoned CS to find out why I was blocked from sending money to my step-father. CS informed me that since I made multiple updates to my account, there was now a fraud alert on my account and that I could not transfer any funds until I received the new card and activate it. I informed them that the card did not arrive on 1/5, like I was promised. CS informed me that since it was the holidays I could only count business days and that the card should arrive by 1/9.

I then indicated that I believed AMEX had sent me the canceled card by mistake and that no card is actually in the mail. The CS indicated that this was not the case as that AMEX had no record that the first card was returned to AMEX, because it was undeliverable. I informed CS that this was not what was told to me on 12/23. CS now disputed that first card was ever sent back. I asked CS that if the card did not arrive by 1/9, could I request another card; I was assured I could.

By 1/14 no card had still arrived. I phoned CS to request another card. CS indicated they could not send me another card due to the fraud alert. I informed CS that the only reason there was a fraud alert was because your CS had informed me that my account had been possibly fraudulently accessed. I made those updates to prevent possible fraud. CS now informed me that I would have to wait 30 days from date of the last updates I made online for the fraud alert to fall off. I told CS I could not wait 30 days to access my funds. CS informed me to follow up with USPS. I asked CS how was I to follow up with USPS, since card was sent regular mail without a tracking number. USPS would not be able to help me. Then CS suggested that I transfer my needed funds to another Serve member, so that member could give me my funds.

I informed CS I already tried this and was blocked. CS then informed me that he had the ability to remove this block. I asked why CS didn't remove this block when I phoned the previous week. CS could not answer this question. Anyway block was removed, I was able to transfer money to my step-father, and he gave me my money. As of this writing 1/16 still no card. So now I am stuck waiting the full 30 days, before I can receive another card.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I recently just spoke with Pearl from the dispute department from their call center with regards to a transaction that I made online that was fraudulent. I bought a bag online using my Amex Serve and my order was never sent out and the seller is missing/deactivated or banned and could not be found on the website anymore. Tried contacting the website itself multiple times and no answer, contacted Amex Serve and they said they could not do anything because I have to wait 7 days after transaction was made. I asked PEARL why customers need to wait 7 days before AMEX does something regarding a FRAUD and all she says is it’s policy and could not give me any other explanation or proof where it states the said “POLICY” that customers need to wait 7 days before they are PROTECTED from fraudulent activity. Customer service is such an utter disgrace AMEX.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

After reading reviews I've come to the conclusion that there's really something going on with Amex Serve. I too had money on my card and poof it was gone!!! Where the hell is it? THE CARD HAD transactions done in NJ... Meanwhile I never visited NJ... Customer Service Fraudulent Dept. says they can't do anything cause charges are pending. One of the charges were at a gas station (I don't even drive). They said a card was present... huh??? I had my card the same day they made all the transactions on it (while I was working nowhere near Jersey).

Now I canceled my card with 0 balance to get a replacement and I don't think it's a good idea after reading all these reviews of people missing money just because. SOMETHING IS DEF GOING ON HERE!!! THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY BE INVESTIGATED!! PEOPLE WORK HARD FOR THEIR MONEY. It should not be going missing constantly!!! By reading these reviews it seems as it happens often lately.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Updated on 01/15/2019: Recently I wrote a review about American Express Serve, my card was hacked and my tax refund advance was stolen. They emailed me today and said that they declined my card charge disputes. Therefore $2,500 was stolen from me.

Original Review: One night around 7:00 pm my tax refund advance was put on my American Express serve card, and between 5:30 am and 6:00 am the next morning all of the money was gone. $2,500 had been transferred from my card online to foreign person names that I've never even heard of. I believe the security of these cards is compromised or maybe even the Jackson Hewitt tax office computers.

American Express Serve Company Information