Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: April 26, 2021

My wife purchased 4 cards from Walmart to be used as gift cards. We’ve been trying to use them up because the original intent for them backed out. We recently had a couple of the cards declined for purchases so we figured we missed a receipt. Thinking we could get the balance online or by calling them has become an exercise in futility. We refuse to sign up for an account with Serve because they want our social security numbers and I already don’t trust them. American Express allows you to input the card numbers but when submitted give a message that they are experiencing difficulties and try again later. This is day two of our hunt for answers. The phone number is worse. They only want you to sign up and give them money. At this point we will likely have to nickel and dime these cards to death. I hate Walmart to begin with, this won’t help.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I have 2 gold American Express cards for the past 3 years in Spain. Recently there was a mixup by my bank and a bill from Amex was returned, 24 hours later it was paid. I contacted Amex to explain because both my cards were blocked. They informed me that the returned bill has caused the problem and said that was the second time it had happened! I pointed out this was the only time it had happened. The customer service agent disagreed. He said it happened 2 years ago also. I pointed out to him that 2 years ago I paid a bill for 2700 euros 11 days before it was due directly into their account. And Amex still sent the bill to my bank so it was returned as it was already paid 11 days before. He ignored what I explained and said it's the second time and, "We will keep your cards blocked as you are now under review for us to decide if you may continue with the card."

This situation was caused by their mistake billing me for a bill that had already be paid. It's now been 10 days. Cards are still blocked and they are demanding bank statement from all of my accounts for the last 4 months. I also have a merchant account with amex. From spain when you call customer service you are talking to Argentina to staff who do not speak English and all seem to be in training mode. Ridiculous situation.

Original review: April 14, 2021

DO NOT!!!! This company will hold your money for 7 days in order to profit off of it and then they will release it to you. As soon as I get this last deposit I'm waiting for, I'm going to CANCEL this card immediately! It's a pandemic going on and they're holding people's money. Utterly disgusting!

Original review: April 7, 2021

I enrolled in AMEX's payment plan with my Green Business Card last year around November or December. At the end of January, I attempted to make a payment to pay off my balance completely. According to 2 of the 3 reps I have spoken to this morning, the payment was declined by the bank for insufficient funds. That's not why I'm upset but it has something to do with it.

Apparently I was taken out of the payment plan because I paid off my balance. This is not true since the money was returned. I should still be in the payment plan right? Not according to the 2 foreign reps. The kicker is that the payments of $59 are still coming out of my bank account!! That $59 was the monthly cost associated with the payment plan! The 3rd rep I spoke to was from the United States and understood my problem perfectly. Unfortunately he was in a different department because I was routed there for some reason. So he connected me to yet another rep. As it stands now, I am on hold again waiting for some sort of answer that makes sense.

Original review: March 24, 2021

On March 12 2021 my stimulus checks was deposited into my account, on March 18, 2021 a ACH withdrawal was done from my account. I did not initiate this transaction. I have called serve customer service to get answers to no avail. I need someone to contact me to explain what happened to my money. A withdrawal by ACH external bank account was initiated. Please help. I’m at a total loss. There is not an option to speak to a representative when I call. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have a lot of experience with American Express products. I love Amex. But not this card product. This is a list of detailed problems and suggested improvements that should be made to the ‘Serve’ card, including the ‘Serve’ card issued by Jackson Hewitt.

1. The temporary card received from JH is very limited. When you do your taxes they advertise getting part of your return the same day. If approved your temporary card will be loaded but you will not be able ATM or transfer the funds to your real bank account until you get a permanent card.

2. It took a month for me to get a permanent card.

3. The phone number on the back of the temporary card will not take you to a real human, ever.

4. I collectively spent 40 hours on the phone, my computer and at other JH offices while trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my money off the card. I even had a support agent in another country (while I sat in a JH office) tell me his time was up on the call and he could no longer help me.

5. After I finally received my permanent card and activated it, I could not figure out how to transfer money into my personal checking account. Because by design they have put the option in the most obscure place possible. You will not find it under any of the money transfer areas on the menu. It is hidden under ‘settings’. You know like where you would find your profile and preferences. Additionally this feature is not offered on the app. So you have to go the online version to find it. The average tech user would never be able to locate this.

6. Once you find this area you must enter your bank account information and wait up to five days for two small deposits to be verified before it will link your bank account.

7. Once this is completed you can transfer (withdraw) your money to your bank.

8. But wait, you can’t have your money just yet. You must wait another 5 days for it to appear in your bank account. During this waiting time you have no access to the money because it’s not on your card and it’s not in your bank account. It’s in La La Land somewhere.

I’m on my fifth day today and still no money in my bank account. Take time to calculate how long it has taken for me to get my same day refund. I paid $200 to get this service and I still don’t have the cash in my bank. I was approved on January 29th and today is March 18th. The lesson learned here is... Save yourself $200, Do your taxes yourself for free, Then get your money direct deposited into your checking account in two weeks. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: March 18, 2021

American Express has recently started to place 7 Day holds on all credits from merchants coming in on my card. This is out of a sudden all of nowhere and I've had this card for about 5 to 6 years with never any issues up until recently. I don't believe it's legal that they are allowed to play 7 Day holds on store credits that come in. This is a debit card. Who are they to hold your cash? I am surprised there was not a class action lawsuit against this cuz they are definitely definitely breaking some rules here.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I've had the Serve card for years & it was good- but now after refusing my tax refund from the IRS I have to wait an extra 10 damn days for my money! Why did they refuse the deposit?! No one knows. This has put me in a very hard spot. Actually screwed me real good. So I warn everyone- get a different card- this one may start out strong- but you'll regret it in the end- like I am now. You can NEVER ever speak to a human either when you do have a problem. It's all automated. What a joke.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I had used Jackson Hewitt to file my taxes they use American Express Serve which is a temporary card then after that's replaced by permanent card they're suppose to send you but mine has yet to arrive and after 25 calls to them I still have not gotten my card and now I still dont and can't get my 8000.00 out of that account. So fair warning to all dont use American Express Serve cards. They dont care about you or the fact they are holding your money.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

While having my car repaired after being rear ended, I rented a car referenced by Liberty Mutual. I was told that a $50 deposit hold would be placed on my American Express Serve card and released upon return of the car. My American Express Serve card company is holding for 30 days! I'm on a tight budget. Regardless, that is ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have been getting account statement emails from American Express Serve for a while. To my knowledge I have never had an American Express ever. I have tried calling several times but the entire phone system is automated, there's no option for me to talk to a human to resolve the issue, there's also no email address on their "contact us" page to email them. I don't have a card, account number, or pin to login with since I've never had an account.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

You know you are in trouble when you try to reach someone to talk to... The only way you get to a person is to take 2 rounds of the main menu. Only on the second round of the main menu prompt do you get option 0 to speak with someone. They hide transactions on you too. I withdrew money from Serve back to my bank account and there was no record of the transaction. Did not know anything until 10 days later when the deposit showed up in my bank.

Fees are ridiculous. Here, let me charge you $6 a month to hold your money. No, don't like that? Then add $500 per month to avoid the fee, or do a direct deposit from your paycheck. Retired? Oh sorry, we will punish you for that, and make you send us $500 a month for the honor of holding your money for you without a few. OMG, people, wake up. It's the 21st century! Avoid this company. This is also a very good indication of where the parent company, AMEX, is headed. My recommendation is to avoid AMEX entirely.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express Serve advertises itself as getting you your money 4 days earlier by having it direct deposited. This is a complete lie. American Express serve gets your direct deposits in and holds them from one to 3 days in order for them to make money off of your deposit for however many days they hold it. They claim they have no record of any deposit being made. Today I have been able to prove that this is a lie. Everyone that received the 600 stimulus received their money not even an hour after it was deposited by the IRS. At this time Amex serve account has not deposited it and is holding it. This is not the only pre paid so called bank that does this. You cannot rely on what these people tell you. As soon as you complain or mention the fact that you know it has been deposited they put your account on some phone loop where no matter how long you wait on hold to get to a rep they never route you to help. Advise you to stay away from this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I received a text from Serve stating my account had a suspicious charge. I called customer service and verified it was not my charge. The stated they would freeze my account and send a new card. They allowed 1700.00 to be drained and I’m certain it was from an employee there.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I am very dissatisfied with my recent dealings. Customer service is always weak but this is unmatched incompetence. My card was recently skimmed, 643$ was stolen from three transactions at an ATM machine. I filed a claim and responded to the questions I was asked. After three weeks I received notice that Amex was denying my claim. Aside from the fact I was incensed to begin with when the money was stolen, I figured this would be an easy resolution. Unfortunately I was given a generic reason,” we determined the authorization was authorized“, which is incredibly curious and blatantly untrue. I can not get a real person from the fraud department in the phone, only agents in outsourced Korea. Never use atm that are free, that’s my mistake at 7-11 to save the charges, those are the ones susceptible to these thieves. Amex serve sucks, I’m closing my account after 3 years.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I had someone steal $400 dollars from my card and they never replaced my money. They are the worst prepaid card ever. They said they would investigate and they did nothing. Beware!!!! I closed my account.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

The only benefits to this card is the name and early deposit. These days that carries less value. Especially with several institutions offering early deposit. You will not be able to deposit money at an atm. Which will become an issue more than one will realize. ATM limits will never be able to be changed nor can a temporary higher limit be placed. Customer service is incompetent and inconsistent. You verify yourself through the system and there will always be one * advisor who asks for your life’s story to get access to your account. Everyone else confirms you’re verified through the system. To continue they aren’t confident in the information they provide nor is it accurate in comparison to the system. The system is deeply flawed. ie. Bill pay states it’ll take up to for business days to receive, customer service states it’s seven business days, the system then resets to an upwards of 10+ business days.

Tracking information is denied for delayed payments. Therefore unsecure and unreliable. You can use the card for Apple Pay in a limited capacity. You can make traditional purchases but unable to pay friends via message for example. When making a traditional purchase, any amount, with Apple Pay server denies the transaction. Every time. Versus it being based on familiar activity. They place an extended hold on any refund credits. No reason given. They charge extra on certain transactions then post the actual amount when it processes. This occurs with retailers who don’t require an additional hold ie Amazon prime orders. Contrary to belief it is not accepted everywhere. There are still one-off places who do not use American Express due to their high charges. After almost five years I’ll closing my account.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

AmEx Serve card. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. I got the Serve card and my step-daughter a sub-acct card so I can send her money at school. Had them almost a year. Today, while trying to send her money for her medications, my acct was locked. I called Serve CS, and you know what happens when you call off-shore CS. Five phone calls later I reached the Serve fraud dept and was told there was a "discrepancy" between my acct and my bank's debit card acct information. The CS rep called my bank and conferenced me in. My bank confirmed all of the information Serve asked them to confirm. Then, the Serve card CS rep said he had to do something else, put me on hold and came back a few minutes later. He informed me that he was sorry, but that my acct would not be unlocked. It was "permanently locked (suspended)". When I asked why, after nearly a year of use my acct was suspended, he said he was not allowed to tell me,

I ended up having to wire my step-daughter the money WU, which cost 6 times the Serve card load fee. And what do I get after nearly a year of of paying their high monthly fee and holding an AmEx card for 20 years? "We apologize for any inconvenience." I cut my Serve and AmEx CC in half and will be sending them to the CEO of AmEx. SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TROUBLE. STAY AWAY FROM AMEX.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have experience great pleasure using American Express Prepaid. My deposits comes two day before on time even if it's a holiday. It has restrictions on some use but for good cause. If you lose your card, you can call customer service and they will have it sent by FedEx the next day without waiting 7-10 days for replacement. If your card is lost or stolen they notify you when you make purchases, or suspected misuse that you don't normally use. Can transfer money immediately from one American Express to another. Can go to Walmart and take all my money off without a fee for every cash withdraw. It gives excellent payback.

I'm always get cash back on purchases they normally know I use often. I have had this card for 4 years, I get direct deposit. A lot of ATM don't accept this card without a triple fee. I go to US Bank or Walmart to retrieve my money without fees. This is one card I love and I will be using this card for a while, because of its good restrictions. I suggest if you want a prepaid card get American Express Prepaid Card. It's worth it in a long run.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

September 22, 2020 Fraud. Today 09 /22/2020 I did a search on Google (rent a car for a month) and associated with Enterprise appeared this number: +1 877 3620059. I called and answered Willy Enterprise and I requested a quote for a month for two Ford Mustang and he told me that he needs to talk to the Enterprise managers to make me a good price. The cars requested were 2 because there are two of us to request them Italians just moved to the U.S., the same Willy calls us and says that Enterprise can make 400 euros plus 200 total deposit 1200 dollars only if we buy the American Express rechargeable because they had a convention and so we could have a special price.

We went in search of the Cards and we bought them from Walgreens and at the checkout they asked for the address documents that they entered in the portal (the Cards should not be in our name?). Once we took the cards Enterprise calls us back to get the license and address for insurance and card numbers, once given the data sends us the email of the reservation Enterprise and the 'time of withdrawal at 5 pm today.

Today at 5 pm the cars were not delivered telling us that the cards did not take the money, we called the American Express number and they told us that the 4 cards were not registered to us but to other people and they did not want to give us the holders, we called the number and they asked us to buy more cards with another 1200 dollars and when we asked why they hung up.

1)How is this possible and not being protected? 2) How is it possible that American Express puts on the market cards in our name and after a few hours with the physical cards in hand we are no longer the holders? 3) How is it possible that Enterprise allows to circulate e-mails and numbers with their name? 4) How is it possible that Walgreens does not protect us by returning the money? 5) To activate the cards require Social Security so why America Express does not help us and answers us to make do instead of finding the scammers since they know the names? It's outrageous!

I write this blog to help people not to be scammed and report to justice what is happening have stolen our identity. With the above I ask for help to the justice and track down the criminals and get our money back. Public 1) Payment receipts. 2) American Express Cards Serve Call us anytime at: 1-800-954-0559 (Domestic), 1-801-449-4019 (International). You can also reach us via email at:

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I've had my Amex Serve card for about 5yrs now and I love it ..I have no fees for use or atm fees..The only thing I DONT like is a lotta places don't accept amex which kinda sucks cuz I can't pay certain household bills online and certain stores won't accept it. Thats certainly an inconvenience..but other than that I've had no problems.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I have bought these cards many times for my kids for gifts because they are getting older now and it is hard to find things they like. These make great gift cards for this reason. I have never heard of them having a hard time finding a place to spend them. :)

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I use it virtually everywhere, I'm not locked down with a card for just one store. The customer service has always been there for me and I can't say enough about it. I had an issue with the card, money was wrongly taken out, after explaining the situation and answering their questions. I was credited back my money. They were pleasant to me the whole time and I was frustrated. Then as the conversation went I my frustration went away and it was as if I never had a problem. It's the only prepaid card I use.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have a Bluebird card for most online purchases. I’ve never had any problems at all with it! I also get good customer service. Each time I call they have been kind. It’s a great way to spend safe money, and transactions show up each time online.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Having the AMEX Serve card was an amazing way to work the American Express and use a pre-paid card with the prestige of AMEX. It was sooo simple to load and we are able to use anywhere. You also had customer service to assist by phone at any time. My daughter and I both use them and I transfer money to her all the time- simple with no fees.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I've had Serve for years and the only complaint I have is how they hold YOUR MONEY when it's been refunded by the merchant, they literally hold YOUR MONEY for 7days just because they can, they don't care about the fact that it's YOUR MONEY and they do absolutely nothing to get YOUR MONEY THAT THEY HOLD back into your account. I had this happen to me several times and each time I was treated like it's not my money and they can do whatever they want with my money. I've had a utility almost get disconnected because they wouldn't issue me MY MONEY!!! I wouldn't recommend serve to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

American Express makes it really easy to reload at any Walmart, they let you know your balance and transactions. This makes it easy to keep track of your balance. Customer service is fast and efficient. I would recommend this to anyone. They also have special offers for you to sign up for and save money. I love using it on trips out of town.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had been a Verizon wireless customer for years. Even with a 19% faculty discount, my monthly bill was over $110 just for service in the U.S. Last February when my husband and I were on an African safari, I asked a woman who was a member of our group to email me a picture of a bird I had been unable to capture. She did. Apparently, my data overage was .016. Verizon charged me $15.00 for it, and I was annoyed enough to change carriers to Altice Mobile as an Optimum customer for $20 a month with unlimited talk and data. My husband’s and my lines on each number came to $21.96 apiece, a considerable saving.

Then, we lost all cable services from August 4-11 after a storm. I thought I could use my cell phone, but I could not be heard, had dropped calls, could not email, or text Altice Mobile. Sure enough, the company charged me the full rate for the month. I tried to reach a representative for more than three weeks with no success before I filed a complaint with the New York State Attorney General’s Office and Better Business Bureau. Both government offices refused to step in until I contacted Altice Mobile, an utter impossibility.

Since my American Express credit card is automatically billed each month, I set up a dispute on both charges online and asked for a week’s credit on each. This was done within a few days. Problem solved. American Express has OUTSTANDING customer service and live representatives to help with problems. Altice Mobile should take a page out of their training if they want to retain clientele. Just read the customer dissatisfaction on Yelp for a broader perspective on how to incense people and lose business.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

My daughter was excited to get a $50 FIFTY American Express SERVE gift card in May. She was saving it for a special purchase. That special purchase came this month on shoes she wanted to buy from Amazon. Tried to check out? SORRY little lady but you have $18 EIGHTEEN dollars on your gift card! But that's weird she thought, "I HAVE NEVER USED THIS GIFT CARD." I got on the phone to look at transaction history? Approximately $7 in fees deducted from her GIFT card monthly dwindling down to less than $20 TWENTY bucks. This is a scam. You don't take money from a gift recipient. Have they lost their minds with Greed? The only purpose is to SERVE American Express. They can trash all their products. Garbage.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Opened a dispute 3 weeks ago and was informed that in order for the process to continue, I would have to fill out the forms THAT THEY WOULD SEND IN AN EMAIL. 14 phone calls later over the past 3 weeks, and I have yet to receive THEIR form. They have lied about sending it, they have hung up on my calls when I ask to speak to a supervisor - THEY DO NOT GIVE A CRAP about the customer. DO NOT USE SERVE! Go somewhere else!!!! WHEN will I get the form? (Never. Question answered).

American Express Serve Company Information