Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: April 14, 2021

DO NOT!!!! This company will hold your money for 7 days in order to profit off of it and then they will release it to you. As soon as I get this last deposit I'm waiting for, I'm going to CANCEL this card immediately! It's a pandemic going on and they're holding people's money. Utterly disgusting!

Original review: April 7, 2021

I enrolled in AMEX's payment plan with my Green Business Card last year around November or December. At the end of January, I attempted to make a payment to pay off my balance completely. According to 2 of the 3 reps I have spoken to this morning, the payment was declined by the bank for insufficient funds. That's not why I'm upset but it has something to do with it.

Apparently I was taken out of the payment plan because I paid off my balance. This is not true since the money was returned. I should still be in the payment plan right? Not according to the 2 foreign reps. The kicker is that the payments of $59 are still coming out of my bank account!! That $59 was the monthly cost associated with the payment plan! The 3rd rep I spoke to was from the United States and understood my problem perfectly. Unfortunately he was in a different department because I was routed there for some reason. So he connected me to yet another rep. As it stands now, I am on hold again waiting for some sort of answer that makes sense.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have a lot of experience with American Express products. I love Amex. But not this card product. This is a list of detailed problems and suggested improvements that should be made to the ‘Serve’ card, including the ‘Serve’ card issued by Jackson Hewitt.

1. The temporary card received from JH is very limited. When you do your taxes they advertise getting part of your return the same day. If approved your temporary card will be loaded but you will not be able ATM or transfer the funds to your real bank account until you get a permanent card.

2. It took a month for me to get a permanent card.

3. The phone number on the back of the temporary card will not take you to a real human, ever.

4. I collectively spent 40 hours on the phone, my computer and at other JH offices while trying to figure out why I couldn’t get my money off the card. I even had a support agent in another country (while I sat in a JH office) tell me his time was up on the call and he could no longer help me.

5. After I finally received my permanent card and activated it, I could not figure out how to transfer money into my personal checking account. Because by design they have put the option in the most obscure place possible. You will not find it under any of the money transfer areas on the menu. It is hidden under ‘settings’. You know like where you would find your profile and preferences. Additionally this feature is not offered on the app. So you have to go the online version to find it. The average tech user would never be able to locate this.

6. Once you find this area you must enter your bank account information and wait up to five days for two small deposits to be verified before it will link your bank account.

7. Once this is completed you can transfer (withdraw) your money to your bank.

8. But wait, you can’t have your money just yet. You must wait another 5 days for it to appear in your bank account. During this waiting time you have no access to the money because it’s not on your card and it’s not in your bank account. It’s in La La Land somewhere.

I’m on my fifth day today and still no money in my bank account. Take time to calculate how long it has taken for me to get my same day refund. I paid $200 to get this service and I still don’t have the cash in my bank. I was approved on January 29th and today is March 18th. The lesson learned here is... Save yourself $200, Do your taxes yourself for free, Then get your money direct deposited into your checking account in two weeks. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: March 18, 2021

American Express has recently started to place 7 Day holds on all credits from merchants coming in on my card. This is out of a sudden all of nowhere and I've had this card for about 5 to 6 years with never any issues up until recently. I don't believe it's legal that they are allowed to play 7 Day holds on store credits that come in. This is a debit card. Who are they to hold your cash? I am surprised there was not a class action lawsuit against this cuz they are definitely definitely breaking some rules here.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I've had the Serve card for years & it was good- but now after refusing my tax refund from the IRS I have to wait an extra 10 damn days for my money! Why did they refuse the deposit?! No one knows. This has put me in a very hard spot. Actually screwed me real good. So I warn everyone- get a different card- this one may start out strong- but you'll regret it in the end- like I am now. You can NEVER ever speak to a human either when you do have a problem. It's all automated. What a joke.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I had used Jackson Hewitt to file my taxes they use American Express Serve which is a temporary card then after that's replaced by permanent card they're suppose to send you but mine has yet to arrive and after 25 calls to them I still have not gotten my card and now I still dont and can't get my 8000.00 out of that account. So fair warning to all dont use American Express Serve cards. They dont care about you or the fact they are holding your money.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

While having my car repaired after being rear ended, I rented a car referenced by Liberty Mutual. I was told that a $50 deposit hold would be placed on my American Express Serve card and released upon return of the car. My American Express Serve card company is holding for 30 days! I'm on a tight budget. Regardless, that is ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have been getting account statement emails from American Express Serve for a while. To my knowledge I have never had an American Express ever. I have tried calling several times but the entire phone system is automated, there's no option for me to talk to a human to resolve the issue, there's also no email address on their "contact us" page to email them. I don't have a card, account number, or pin to login with since I've never had an account.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

You know you are in trouble when you try to reach someone to talk to... The only way you get to a person is to take 2 rounds of the main menu. Only on the second round of the main menu prompt do you get option 0 to speak with someone. They hide transactions on you too. I withdrew money from Serve back to my bank account and there was no record of the transaction. Did not know anything until 10 days later when the deposit showed up in my bank.

Fees are ridiculous. Here, let me charge you $6 a month to hold your money. No, don't like that? Then add $500 per month to avoid the fee, or do a direct deposit from your paycheck. Retired? Oh sorry, we will punish you for that, and make you send us $500 a month for the honor of holding your money for you without a few. OMG, people, wake up. It's the 21st century! Avoid this company. This is also a very good indication of where the parent company, AMEX, is headed. My recommendation is to avoid AMEX entirely.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express Serve advertises itself as getting you your money 4 days earlier by having it direct deposited. This is a complete lie. American Express serve gets your direct deposits in and holds them from one to 3 days in order for them to make money off of your deposit for however many days they hold it. They claim they have no record of any deposit being made. Today I have been able to prove that this is a lie. Everyone that received the 600 stimulus received their money not even an hour after it was deposited by the IRS. At this time Amex serve account has not deposited it and is holding it. This is not the only pre paid so called bank that does this. You cannot rely on what these people tell you. As soon as you complain or mention the fact that you know it has been deposited they put your account on some phone loop where no matter how long you wait on hold to get to a rep they never route you to help. Advise you to stay away from this company.

American Express Serve Company Information