1.07/5

309 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 2, 2019

I received my tax refund on my serve card in a timely manner, however I went to purchase gas, swiped inside of the store and it said invalid transaction, card not recognized. First thing I did was go to an atm to withdraw money and see if my funds were stolen. It let me withdraw money, so then I went to a fast food restaurant and tried to pay for my order using the card and it said the same thing. I was so embarrassed another customer offered to pay for my meal. So once again I go to an atm and called to check my balance on the card. I’m not sure why it’s not letting me swipe and purchase like a regular debit/ credit card??? So to anyone that this may help and save the embarrassment, just withdraw the cash because the card won’t allow you to purchase anything.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Ok so I have been a Serve customer for over 7 yrs now. Never had a problem with getting my funds back in a timely fashion when I returned something until now. I just got the shock of my life. Serve is holding my funds for 7 days like it fraud. Heck they are retuning my money and you are giving me holy h to get it back. I will not be using Serve again. Keep up the horrible job and others do not use them. Guess they need the interest of hold peoples money for 7 days without a real explanation.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have had a good experience with Bluebird for many years now. I got my tax refund sent to my account. Within hours someone had taken over my account and spent almost 4400 of my money. I asked how someone could access the account with out verifying security question date of birth social seurity number or the adress and phone number to the account. They changed everything on the account aside from the username and card number. When I call to figure it out then I have to verify my information several times in order to even file a report.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had my tax refund sent to the card they sent me and in less than a day after I received my refund, my card was hacked by two individuals whom I DO NOT KNOW nor did I AUTHORIZE the transactions. I IMMEDIATELY call and open an investigation and was told it would take 10 business days to be completed. Two days later I am advised through email that my investigation was declined. WHAT? I IMMEDIATELY call and was advised I could write a letter to appeal. Well I went a couple of steps better after writing a letter. Filed a complaint with the BBB against them. Filed an online FBI Fraud report against Serve and the two individuals and filed a fraud police report with my local police. This company is a complete JOKE.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I CALL American Express Serve on January 13 2019 to report a unauthorized charge of $3.16 from Foot Locker. The representative told me that they would lock my account until I am ready to order a replacement card, but if I needed to access my funds I can give them a call. On Feb 15 I called to gain access to my funds so that I can pay a bill and have then have the card lock after the transaction was completed. Come to find the negligent representative never lock the card and now 640.00 of my hard earned money has been stolen off my card for a gas station purchase. American Express Serve does not take responsibility for their product or the negligence of their employee and now I’m getting the run around on if they will give me my money back. Don't walk, run from this company. They are frauds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was a customer for over 3 years until this 2019...turns out American Express Serve gave me a whole new routing and account number with informing me they were doing so, upon me doing my tax return come to find out they changed my whole account. Now there's a big delay in receiving my taxes. Very disappointing, was never informed not one single email!! I will be closing my account with them and moving on to "Chime".

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had my card stolen a week ago. Someone had charged my a card a “mere” 14.86. I tried to call and get my money refunded. I was hung up on! I also was supposed to get a refund on a movie I did not go to. There is no way to send documentation to prove I was supposed to get refunded the money. I got this card because I did a refund advance on my taxes. Thank God I have a checking account. Once the money comes in on my Serve account, I will be transferring it to my bank and cutting up the card. Customer service is rude and a joke!!! They don’t listen!!! Do not under any circumstances get this card!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Today is February 13th 2019. I made my claim on February 03 2019. I had a 300$ fraudulent charge from Kids Foot Locker on my card. I have never shopped there, Never lost or misplaced my card. I call them up and they tell me to fill out the fraudulent charge form. I do as I am told. Turn in the forms (online). Everything! I receive an email saying they will get back to me in the next few days. A few days pass and I call them up. They tell me the system is down. So they can’t check the status of my case BUT I have to wait 10 days from beginning of the case to receive an update. (If I will be temporarily credited backed if the investigation has to go further etc.) So I wait exactly ten days from the day and I call the customer service.

I put in my Information on the automated phone and it tells me my pin is incorrect. Before when you called you got I contact with a human in a few min. Now it was saying my pin was incorrect. I’ve never had to input my pin on the phone to speak to a person. I can’t get in contact with them. No matter any number I call it’s the same thing. So I call American Express directly. I call this number 1(866)-207-7970. Online it’s listed as a customer service number. Someone picks up and I explain my situation. They tell me I’ve actually called the gift card line and they will transfer Me. They transfer me to the same number I first called that told me I can’t access my account.

SO I call American Express customer service again 1(866)-207-7970. A man answers. He tells me, “This is the gift card department.” I tell him what has happened and is there any way he can transfer me to an actual person. NOT the same Serve customer service number. He transfers my call. The automated voice says, “This is the Serve customer service. An associate will be with you.” I wait 4 min. A lady answers the phone, tells me the system is down and she can’t access any Information. I explain my entire situation to her (I am very exhausted at this point). She tells me to call back in an hour. I tell her, “Can I please speak to a supervisor.” She says “ok I will get someone for you. Sorry I couldn’t help”. She transfers me.

I am transferred to a HOTEL RESERVATION phone number. For making hotel reservations and checking the status of your reservation. She transferred to a whole other business. Just to clarify I was reporting the fraud of 300$ BUT I also have 400$ In the account. I try to sign into the Serve mobile app. It won’t let me sign in. Says my account is locked. I try to call again, go through this entire exhausting experience again to be eventually transferred to a hotel reservation number. THEY STOLE 700$ from me.

I have no idea what to do or how to get any of my money back. I tried to use the card in a store and it declined. I have no idea what to do!!! Please listen to the reviews. Do Not get this card. I am literally standing here with no money right now. My hard worked money is GONE. I contacted my employer. They tell me my money has been deposited to my account and they cannot give me more money. They tell me to figure it out with my bank. So yea I lost 700$.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Today is February 13th 2019. I made my claim on February 03 2019. I had a 300$ fraudulent charge from Kids Foot Locker on my card. I have never shopped there, never lost or misplaced my card. I call them up and they tell me to fill out the fraudulent charge form. I do as I am told. Turn in the forms (online). Everything! I receive an email saying they will get back to me in the next few days. A few days pass and I call them up. They tell me the system is down. So they can’t check the status of my case BUT I have to wait 10 days from beginning of the case to receive an update. (If I will be temporarily credited backer if the investigation has to for farther etc).

So I wait exactly ten days from the day and I call the customer service. I put in my information on the automated phone and it tells me my pin is incorrect. Before when you called you got I contact with a human in a few min. Not it was saying my pin was incorrect. I’ve never had to input my pin on the phone to speak to a person. I can’t get in contact with them. No matter any number I call it’s the same thing. So I call American Express directly. I call this number 1(866)-207-7970. Online it’s listed as a customer service number. Someone picks up and I explain my situation. They tell me I’ve actually called the gift card line and they will transfer me.

They transfer me to the same number I first called that told me I can’t access my account. SO I call American Express customer service again 1(866)-207-7970. A man answers. He tells me this is the gift card department. I tell him what has happened and is there any way he can transfer me to an actual person. NOT the same serve customer service number. He transfers my call. The automated voice says, "This is the Serve customer service. An associate will be with you." I wait 4 min. A lady answers the phone tells me the system is down and she can’t access any information. I explain my entire situation to her (I am very exhausted at this point) she tells me to call back in an hour. I tell her can I please speak to a supervisor. She says “ok I will get someone for you sorry I couldn’t help.”

She transfers me. I am transferred to a HOTEL RESERVATION phone number. For making hotel reservations and checking the status of your reservation. She transferred to to a whole other business. Just to clarify I was reporting the fraud of 300$ BUT I also have 400$ in the account. I try to sign into the Serve mobile app. It won’t let me sign in says my account is locked.

I try to call again - go through this entire exhausting experience again to be eventually transferred to a hotel reservation number. THEY STOLE 700$ from me.

I have no idea what to do or how to get any of my money back. I tried to use the card in a store and it declined. I have no idea what to do!!! Please listen to the reviews. Do not get this card. I am literally standing here with no money right now. My hard worked money is GONE. I contacted my employer. They tell me my money has been deposited to my account and they cannot give me more money. They tell me to figure it out with my bank. So yeah I lost 700$.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Take heed!!! Do not purchase the American Express Serve card. I returned a purchase to a local dept. store over 2 weeks ago and they will not give me my money back! I am a single mother & I cannot afford this. It amuses me because every time that I call, the representative will say, "I understand, but you can't have your money." They are thieves! They will steal your money from you!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

On February 4, 2019 American Express Serve company locked my card and access to my account and said it was due to fraud. When I called the representative said something about the card being linked to another person's account and immediately cancelled my account and said they will not issue a refund of the money in my account which was $230. I also saw a fraudulent charge of $150.00 from a gas station Racing Mart that they didn’t resolve or answer. I then asked to speak to a supervisor resulting in the representative putting me on hold then hanging up. When I called back An automated system said my account was closed and hung up.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Worst customer service out there. If you want to have your account access revoked after you report a fraudulent charge this is the card for you. If you want to wait on hold for hours speak to a supervisor and then have them hang up in your face many different times then this is the card for you. If you want to call the automated number after they revoke your access and still have all your money and be hung up on this is the card for you. Horrible service. They've stolen my money. I can't get in touch with anyone. Run run run from this company. Don't look back. Wish I could give them negative stars and the bird sign.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I somehow made a duplicate payment on Amex Everyday. I wanted to the minimum but by accident hit full balance which was $4,400. I was shocked then next day got a email stating payment was declined! I called in. They explained that this take var will attempt 3 times before stops. They told there is nothing they can do. I just signed up for auto pay and I regret this completely. I have been with this card for 29 YEARS and this is what I get. I will care of this mess and I will cancel this cards. This will affect my credit in a negative and they could care less.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have used this card for three years and never had an issue until today. My direct deposit which is usually on my card by 4:30 is still not available at 10:00. Customer Service says they have no record of my deposit from my employer but I know that’s a lie. I have called 4 times and gotten the same dumb line (after waiting on hold for 10-15 minutes) time and again. DO NOT USE THIS CARD!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

In early December I lost my card. I phoned for a replacement, was told it would arrive in 7-10 business days. Card did not arrive. On December 23 I phoned customer service (CS) to find out what happened. CS reported that card was deemed undeliverable by USPS and returned to AMEX. I asked what address it had been sent to. CS informed me that it had been sent to the address of my ex-girlfriend. I informed CS that was not the right address. I immediately suspected that my ex-girlfriend had accessed my account, because I had never lived w/ her, nor had I ever used her address. The only reason that it was sent back to AMEX was because my last name was never on her mailbox. CS agreed to send out a new card to the correct address. I immediately accessed my account online and updated my password, security question, and email address. I'm sure these changes would block any access my ex-girlfriend might have.

The card arrived on 1/4. I attempted to activate the card online, but after several attempts was blocked by the site; the site indicated I inputted the wrong card number. I had to call CS. CS informed me that this was the first card sent out and that another card was still in the mail and should arrive on 1/5. The next day no card arrived. As I was paid on the first of the month, I still had no access to my money. I decided to send my money to my step-father's Serve account. My step-father agreed to give me the money when transferred. I attempted to do this on 1/5, but was blocked. I phoned my step-father to determine if there was something wrong with Serve. He attempted to send $5 to my account; he succeeded.

On 1/6 I phoned CS to find out why I was blocked from sending money to my step-father. CS informed me that since I made multiple updates to my account, there was now a fraud alert on my account and that I could not transfer any funds until I received the new card and activate it. I informed them that the card did not arrive on 1/5, like I was promised. CS informed me that since it was the holidays I could only count business days and that the card should arrive by 1/9.

I then indicated that I believed AMEX had sent me the canceled card by mistake and that no card is actually in the mail. The CS indicated that this was not the case as that AMEX had no record that the first card was returned to AMEX, because it was undeliverable. I informed CS that this was not what was told to me on 12/23. CS now disputed that first card was ever sent back. I asked CS that if the card did not arrive by 1/9, could I request another card; I was assured I could.

By 1/14 no card had still arrived. I phoned CS to request another card. CS indicated they could not send me another card due to the fraud alert. I informed CS that the only reason there was a fraud alert was because your CS had informed me that my account had been possibly fraudulently accessed. I made those updates to prevent possible fraud. CS now informed me that I would have to wait 30 days from date of the last updates I made online for the fraud alert to fall off. I told CS I could not wait 30 days to access my funds. CS informed me to follow up with USPS. I asked CS how was I to follow up with USPS, since card was sent regular mail without a tracking number. USPS would not be able to help me. Then CS suggested that I transfer my needed funds to another Serve member, so that member could give me my funds.

I informed CS I already tried this and was blocked. CS then informed me that he had the ability to remove this block. I asked why CS didn't remove this block when I phoned the previous week. CS could not answer this question. Anyway block was removed, I was able to transfer money to my step-father, and he gave me my money. As of this writing 1/16 still no card. So now I am stuck waiting the full 30 days, before I can receive another card.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I recently just spoke with Pearl from the dispute department from their call center with regards to a transaction that I made online that was fraudulent. I bought a bag online using my Amex Serve and my order was never sent out and the seller is missing/deactivated or banned and could not be found on the website anymore. Tried contacting the website itself multiple times and no answer, contacted Amex Serve and they said they could not do anything because I have to wait 7 days after transaction was made. I asked PEARL why customers need to wait 7 days before AMEX does something regarding a FRAUD and all she says is it’s policy and could not give me any other explanation or proof where it states the said “POLICY” that customers need to wait 7 days before they are PROTECTED from fraudulent activity. Customer service is such an utter disgrace AMEX.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

After reading reviews I've come to the conclusion that there's really something going on with Amex Serve. I too had money on my card and poof it was gone!!! Where the hell is it? THE CARD HAD transactions done in NJ... Meanwhile I never visited NJ... Customer Service Fraudulent Dept. says they can't do anything cause charges are pending. One of the charges were at a gas station (I don't even drive). They said a card was present... huh??? I had my card the same day they made all the transactions on it (while I was working nowhere near Jersey).

Now I canceled my card with 0 balance to get a replacement and I don't think it's a good idea after reading all these reviews of people missing money just because. SOMETHING IS DEF GOING ON HERE!!! THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY BE INVESTIGATED!! PEOPLE WORK HARD FOR THEIR MONEY. It should not be going missing constantly!!! By reading these reviews it seems as it happens often lately.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Updated on 01/15/2019: Recently I wrote a review about American Express Serve, my card was hacked and my tax refund advance was stolen. They emailed me today and said that they declined my card charge disputes. Therefore $2,500 was stolen from me.

Original Review: One night around 7:00 pm my tax refund advance was put on my American Express serve card, and between 5:30 am and 6:00 am the next morning all of the money was gone. $2,500 had been transferred from my card online to foreign person names that I've never even heard of. I believe the security of these cards is compromised or maybe even the Jackson Hewitt tax office computers.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

The card was excellent for the first 6 years I had it. The past year has seen meltdown after meltdown. They can't post any Direct deposits to any accounts for almost a week and offer no explanation or anything beyond a useless Twitter account and form letter saying they are sorry and working on it. Then the app is offline. Problems with deposits, AGAIN, and through it all getting ANY information has been impossible. When the problems come up, they put the phone system off the hook. Not even an email address is offered to contact them. Just a PO Box or absolutely worthless Twitter team. I used to suggest AMEX products. Now I completely warn against them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I've been using AMEX Serve for 2 years. Have my paycheck DD & never had an issue until now. My last 2 checks the money is gone (not due to any authorizations from myself) & they are refusing to tell me where the money is & when it will be released. I've been hung up on 7x today alone (& I'm on hold again now). I've gotten 4 different stories this afternoon. In fact the last supervisor I spoke with (Marah) stated she not only couldn't answer me but wouldn't answer me nor would she allow me to speak to anyone else saying she was the only one person we could speak with.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I got a call from the front apartment saying that summer using my card over in Miami Florida for $415. I never spend a hutch on the card ever. I would be caught got a call back before it was spent by Chase. They were great. Anyways I called him back. They started their investigation. I couldn't believe what I went through. I would take lunch breaks not eat and be on the phone with them. I be on the phone for 2 or 3 hours at a time just going all my gosh dream.

This whole time it took him 6 days to figure out my email why my emails were going through all. They had the wrong one. He tried to blame my phone then once they got to write email to verify my account because I can't go further with it they wouldn't let them both go through. They weren't patient enough to let it go through. Like wait 3 minutes or 5 minutes. "I know that they should go right through," they said and I see the print believe it. +

I told him I was homeless. My computer that burned up in the fire of my house and they still living here. They kept saying, "I understand. I understand." Finally I had to tell, "No you don't. You don't understand. We're not homeless. Your prothous would burn up on Thanksgiving." Anyways this went on for 6 days. The thief left me $5 in there after the 415 he took out will turn this whole time. I had 1 with these guys about verifying my email account think I rob me again of the $5. I couldn't believe it. They let him take it again. They didn't close the account or the numbers on the card unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Been an Amex Serve customer for almost 5 years and never had any issues until 2018, coincidentally after Amex decided to sell off the business to InComm. I have a normal bank checking account but liked the fact Serve deposited my paycheck almost 2 days ahead of my regular bank and no overdraft fees etc. Well those benefits no longer are worth it after the litany of problems Serve card members have been experience the last 2 months or so. From the constant downtime on the app, to occasional declined transactions when money was available and recently a fraudulent charge (It was only for $5.23 but that's because I rarely left money in main account always in reserve, the charge took whatever money was available).

I've switched my direct deposit back to my regular bank and would advise everyone else to do the same if possible or close their respective Serve and Bluebird accounts. It's obvious American Express no longer wants to be in the prepaid business and the new owner InComm is having major issues. The bigger issue here is the cover-up and the lack of accountability.

It is also very disturbing to read the number of people victimized by fraudulent charges. I gave up even trying to dispute the charge, just canceled the card altogether and closed the account. Also surprising is the fact that this has been going along for a good while now and has yet to catch any traction from the authorities or news media. A true shame.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Like others have experienced here, I have a refund on hold for "merchant review" for my supposed safety. I told them on the phone that their reasoning sounded like a fishy excuse. Since this had never happened before, I had not anticipated it, and the result is I now have no money until at least three days after Christmas. I guarantee that with all the purchases and refunds due to holiday shopping, they are making money off the refunds being withheld from customers.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Really pissed off about this, they have like 20 phone numbers and all of them are for the same...automatic information, my account is locked, I can't talk to a rep! Also my reserve account and main account, for some reason appears to be like new accounts, I do not see my money on them, instead I see $00.00 on both accounts. I have $80.00 on my reserve which I can't use or transfer to my main account because it says $00.00. I'm going crazy here...any help or a direct phone number I can reach???

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

12/19/18 1st time customer for Jackson Hewitt early partial tax anticipation loan to go on Jackson Hewitt-AMEX prepaid card. It is a loan that will be taken from my Tax return. I went to the local office in KS. I took all my ID and paperwork. I was early. I chose the money to go on this card because I was told I would get an email or text letting me know it was available. I had a lot to do that afternoon. I checked for text and emails. Did not get any (even checked junk mail). I called the number on the AMEX card. It said the money was there. I decided to try the card on Thursday 12/20/18. I tried to use it to buy one item. The card's magnetic strip did not scan. There was no choice for the cashier to enter it manually.

Next I went to my bank. My bank told me the magnetic strip was not working. I called Jackson Hewitt. They told me to call AMEX. AMEX told me their system was down and call them in more than 1 hour. I called 2 hours later. They verified everything on the card. They told me go to my bank and try it again. Same thing, the magnetic strip did not work. I drove to the Jackson Hewitt office. They called the AMEX card number. They verified there was money on my card. I was handed the phone and talked to an AMEX rep. I was told, "Sorry, we can send you a business card in 10-12 business days". Well, that don't pay my bills, buy my family Christmas presents, and it sure isn't the money that was promised me in about 1 hour. I need an attorney to sue them for financial stress and more. I am fed up with Big Corp stomping on the lowering income class. Time to take action. In France they have a real revolution.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

For a little over two years now my Partner and I have several AE prepaid accounts. Lately it seems like every other payday (Thursdays) we have an issue accessing our deposits, requesting money and sending money. This issue is not only within their app but when logging online via the Web. After entering in credentials we are prompted, "We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later. We do apologize for the inconvenience. If the problems continue, please call customer service at 1800-954-0559." Even after calling several times the issue is never really resolved in a timely manner; sometimes we have to wait later on in the evening (night) or even the next day which is very inconvenient especially when there are bills to pay. It's very annoying. Though why every other payday? It's like their system is on a schedule to fail. It's ridiculous at this point.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have utilized American Express Serve - Prepaid Debit cards on several occasions, due to the simple fact that I do not wish to have a Bank Account. This, of course, is my choice and I need not follow what everyone else is doing to know genuine rights to be afforded to people... which is a right to transact without negotiable instruments that create bonds and debt and hindering policies unreasonably... I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I recently experienced utilizing the Temporary Card, which mind you, is immediately activated upon purchase at any said 'retailer' that sells the cards for a Fee (ranging from $1.00 to $3.95) for the one-time loaded card in an amount up to $500.00. I simply made an online purchase, for which the company I transacted with turned out to conduct themselves in fraudulent activity by not only not delivering exactly what they promise, but also creating hidden stipulations that I would never agree to knowingly, willingly, or with competence.

Nonetheless, I attempted to dispute the transaction with the online company, and of course, they have been reluctant to issue a refund. Even though the finance they stole from me is minimal, they still have committed Fraud and are therefore liable as a company, now and forever, until the wrong is set right... each and every employee on all levels of operations.

Since the online company was not willing to cooperate, I was forced to contact American Express Serve to have them complete a federally-regulated transaction dispute for the fraud I reported within a reasonable timeframe. Rather than initiate a dispute, I experienced both a Customer Service Representative and a so-called "Manager" after having called: 800-954-0559, which is the Customer Service toll-free number given on the back of the card, denying me my absolute right to dispute, since according to them, the card is was only a temporary card.

A temporary card does not have to be registered to be activated and utilized, simply purchased (which activates the FDIC aspect of the card as well), as the account is activated within American Express Serve's Card Accounts Department by the retailer. And, instead of me arguing with American Express Serve's Representatives about what I do understand and what they do not, I simply explained their liability for setting up their company and being insured with the FDIC, which has clear policies that address fraudulent transactions and the immediate remedies to be afforded to all people (i.e. customers), without compromise.

The moral of this story is, "Stop trusting these lying, thieving, and conniving companies, who know exactly what they have arrogantly been doing to have defrauded honest and innocent people for decades... it's definitely nothing new. However, they still seem to be around in operation, or they transition under a new legal entity, by a different name, operated under the same types of corporate policies and procedures that only benefit them, while robbing the unsuspecting and pretending that the unsuspecting agree to their "Terms and Conditions" that are deceptive coercive in nature themselves, by principles. Thanks for reading and hopefully this review helps tons of people stop tolerating corporate tyranny. They are only in power so as long as we keep turning to them and buying from them... Otherwise they would be as "broke" and as seemingly helpless as the average person.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was one of the New Accounts Rep who launched this Serve Card back in 2012 from their Phoenix AZ corporate office. We processed over 700 new accounts from Facebook users alone. Reading all these complaints makes me sad but at the same time, I too have had my fair share on experiencing their horrible customer service. A $249.99 charge suddenly popped up in my account on Sunday 12/16/18. I called AMEX Serve right away to report a fraudulent activity on my account and was told that the Fraud Dept would not accept my call because they don't THINK the transaction was a fraud because I have dealt with this merchant before in the past. My account is left with $16.92 available balance and I was told I need to dispute with merchant directly.

I told them there's nothing to dispute because I'm already reporting it as a fraud. No one would listen. They just kept telling me I will get it back after 7 days. I told them when I called back today that I have an email from merchant cancelling the said transaction and that they have credited back my account. Today 12/17/18 I offered to forward merchant’s confirmation email on cancelled transaction. I was told I had to wait up to 7 days before I can access my money!!! I told them that is **!!! How can I feed myself and my kids with $16.92 for 7 days??? I'm so mad at these idiots and to think today is my birthday. If I'm still working for AMEX today...I will not allow this horrible customer service to not be addressed by higher ups. It is wrong protocol to hold someone’s funds especially when the merchant has already cancelled the transaction and yet AMEX Serve puts my funds on hold for a merchant review. What is there to review?

The merchant and I resolved the issue ourselves...why would you not release my funds back to me?? SHAME ON ALL OF YOU THERE AT CUSTOMER SERVICE...WHY ARE YOU WORKING AS A CSR IF you yourself is the cause of my hardship on my freaking birthday of all days!!! Wake up managers!!! Change your ridiculous protocol. Ask for your rights to override a hold credit status...you are supposed to be empowered to lead your people in providing world class customer service to us card holders!!! Don’t you dare waste what we worked so hard for back in 2012!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On 12/6/18, I received an email telling me that my email address was being changed in my Serve account. Since I was not making any changes, I contacted the AMEX customer service number (the only number available to call) to let them know that someone was fraudulently accessing my account. The customer service rep kept asking questions, but failed to shut down the account. At the time I called in, the money was still in the account. I finally hung up on him because he kept asking me the same questions over and over again.

I called right back and, at that time, the money was still in the account. The second customer service rep also failed to shut down the account when I immediately asked him to do so. After being transferred to another department and having to go through everything again, 20 minutes later I see that my entire account has been wiped out. So instead of shutting the account down immediately, they played around until all the money was taken out.

Now, I had to have them put in a request for review and to try to get MY money back. On 12/14/18, I receive a notice that the money was put back in my account. However, I was still waiting on a replacement card. In the meantime, I had changed all my login information on my Serve account to be safe. Today, 12/10/18, I receive my new Serve card and follow the directions to activate the card. I then tried to use it to make a donation to a friend’s cancer site and I am declined. DECLINED for a cancer contribution. This is outrageous. I then get an email saying the following:

"During our recent review of your American Express Serve® Account, we identified Account activity that we believe violates the terms of the Serve Consumer User Agreement. As a result of such activity, and pursuant to Section 15(d) of the Serve Consumer User Agreement, your Account and your Account privileges have been permanently suspended."

I have done NOTHING against my User Agreement! That is when I proceeded to contact AMEX Serve at the only number provided – only to get disconnected immediately with a message that my account has been permanently closed – click. I had to use a different phone not associated with my account just to get through to a person. This then turned into 3-4 people, all who apologized profusely but told me there is nothing they can do and I may not get my money back at all. This is undoubtedly illegal and I am in the process of filing a consumer complaint and seeking an attorney.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I see I am far from the only person in the same predicament. I purchased a prepaid AMEX card to make an online purchase from a site that I didn't trust with my regular credit card. For what it's worth, this site has accepted prepaid VISA and MC before, but this time I had a prepaid AMEX. The site declined the card, and its support told me to contact AMEX to make sure the card was activated and valid. AMEX assured me it was, and that they never received a transaction attempt. They also mentioned that it was possible that the website simply didn't not accept a prepaid card (note my comment above).

No worries, I would just use the card at a brick-and-mortar vendor. No luck there, either -- my card was also declined at a live POS. Once again, I contacted AMEX to find out if my card was somehow canceled or invalidated. Nope, they said, it has the full $50 on it. Thus, I visited this site to see if others have had a similar situation. It sounds like a prepaid AMEX is quite the lemon. Folks, save yourself the grief and avoid these cards. Prepaid CCs are ripoffs enough, but sometimes they are necessary safeguards with the added mark-up being the price of your own security. So if you must buy one, steer toward Visa or MC instead.

American Express Serve Company Information