1.14/5
Based on 104 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

184 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

On July 6th I received an email from Bluebird stating I had transferred money to someone I didn't know. I immediately contacted customer service only to be told I couldn't have any information on my account because I am a family account and they needed to speak to my husband the main account holder. Well after 11 hours of getting hung up on we finally got someone who was willing to help us. I was told someone was hacking my account and taking it over. We filed a fraud claim and was told 3-5 business days we would be contacted back with the results.

Well on Monday July 9th I received an email stating that my claim was denied and that the transaction was not an error which is false. IDK who this person was. I called them back again and refiled the claim this time with a police report and I contacted my Attorney General. We are now 5 days past the day we refiled and still nothing. We keep getting told 7-10 business days. I have now been in contact with an attorney to take legal action against this company if they do not return my money. There needs to be a huge lawsuit filed against them! Anyone else feel the same please contact me!

Original review: July 13, 2018

In June 2018 I got an email stating from American Express Serve that my refund was deposited on my card so when I tried to find my card I couldn’t. On June 21st I called to report my card lost and I asked that they please send me a replacement card and If they could expedite it cause I just found out my refund had been deposited and they told me they would for 20$ fee. So I asked them to do that and take the money off the balance of my card. My deposit on June 19th was for over 5000 dollars. That’s when they asked me when was the last time I used my card and I let them know I hadn’t actually used it since the year before got my prior refund for 2017 and that was the last time I used it.

So they said on the 21st of June not to worry that they would do an investigation and then put the credit for all the unauthorized transaction on my new card and that they would do it as soon as I call when I got my new card in 7-10 business days. Just wait for new card and call them immediately when I hit it to make sure it was me that got it before they could out the credit on there. So on June 26th I called back to check the status of everything and at that time the rep told me they hadn’t even started an investigation and there are no notes on my account to do so. So I asked to talk to supervisor to find out why they waited almost a week and still hadn’t started the investigation just to get hung up on after waiting long periods of time for their protection services dept. so then I got a call cause I kept calling back.

So finally a supervisor call me by the name of Mrs ** and told me she was going to reopen the investigation and escalate it and that I would receive some email or another call from her within ten days. Still nothing so I wrote to the corporate office three times and still nothing. Well on the 28th they suspended my account and said I lost all privileges to use my Serve account. That’s why I had to write a letter to them cause customer service and protection services didn’t know and couldn’t tell me why they closed my account and only the investigating team Knows the reason and they don’t even Have a number for them. The only thing I could do now is write to Serve customer relations in Utah so I write three letters. Still no response and still out over five thousand dollars. What can I do. They took my money. At this point it’s the only thing that could have happened so what can I do to get my money back?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 12, 2018

I put my son's tax refund on this card in March 2018 and my son passed away March 27th. They put his card on hold until I sent them a copy of death certificate, notarized letter and photo ID's which I mailed on April 30th. They said they got the mail so I faxed everything over 5 times and this has been ongoing for 3 months now. They said they are reviewing documents and the check will be cut in 2 weeks .I did notify BBB and made a case against them for not giving me my son's tax refund. My advice to everyone out there, NEVER EVER trust these people with your money because once the money is put on the card they will not release it!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I used the Bill Pay app to make my car payment on June 28th and now it's just 7th and they never paid Capital One Auto Finance. Now my car payment is late and Amex screwed me. Amex said it was an electronic payment to Capital One... Used this card for 4 years with direct deposit... They failed me and now going to open a legitimate checking account with Bank of America... STAY AWAY FROM AMEX. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have been a Serve customer for years. My paycheck has been directed deposit for at least two years. I had no issue until this past week. First my direct deposit was late. Customer service was useless. When the deposit finally posted l couldn't (and still can't) make cash withdrawals even from an in network ATM. Some purchase attempts have been approved some have been declined. I have made multiple calls and have sat on hold for hours, only to reach customer service reps with heavy accents and zero ability to resolve my issues. Then starting on Sunday July 1st, random duplicate charge holds started showing up. No matter how many times l call l can't get an answer from their useless customer service. With no ATM access l was forced to do an expensive wire transfer to take all of the remaining cash off of my card before they could steal any more of my hard earned money.

I did my own research only to find out that Amex sold all of its prepaid business to a company called InComm at the beginning of 2018. Since then customers have begun to experience issues like mine. So I find out I'm no longer dealing with Amex just some crooks who've paid to use the Amex name and network. I am so pissed off that will be filing a complaint with the FTC, The FDIC and anyone else l have to to get the rest of my money from these thieves. Do not open a Serve or Bluebird account unless you like having your money stolen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: July 4, 2018

I’ve had Amex serve for about a year and like everything else in life it just takes one bad experience for all of the positive to cancel out. My problem with this card is the ATROCIOUS customer service. These people are most certainly in the Philippines making $2 an hour and barely speak English. Whenever I ask about my direct deposit they give me the run around about how they post them when they are received. It’s a flat out lie since my coworker gets his deposit a full 10 hours before me.

My direct deposits never post at consistent times. Sometimes it’s 8 pm, other times it’s 9 pm. A few times it didn’t post until 4 in the morning, WHY? I don’t like companies playing games with my money. I also don’t feel like my money is in good hands when their customer service reps don’t even know what’s going on with people’s accounts, I will be opening a normal bank account where I can walk in when I have an issue not deal with idiots who are reading a script. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Bluebird American Express scammed money - Saturday I had multiple charges on my account as American Express GNS! The merchant was declined on their end but the money was deducted from my account. I have called 4 times and waits over 2 hours at a time to be put on hold again!! Nothing has been corrected and this morning I receive another change on your account which wiped my account clean and it reflects a negative balance! I am being threaten to close my account if I don't deposit money when they still owe me $51 plus today's transaction of $35!! $86 total American Express and I want my money now not in three to six days! This is a rip off! 6 years I have been a loyal customer!

Original review: July 2, 2018

On Saturday June 30 I was not able to withdraw any of my money. I could not get money from Walmart approved ATM or any other ATM. I called and was told they were doing a system update but I still could purchase items from any store but not access my cash. Today there was a charge for $34.00 where American Express has deducted money for no reason that they can explain. Then tried to say I had used the card this morning for a purchase that’s was just showing as an American Express charge. When in fact I had not used my card at all. I was then told I will have to wait 4 days to see if the money can be refunded. This card (Bluebird American Express Prepaid Card) is a total rip-off. Do not purchase it. Stay far away!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I signed into my account and noticed it said my account has been closed. They gave no reason. Just decided to close my account when I am in the middle of disputing transactions of being ripped off, you would think they would help get your money back since this will help them get their money back. I am willing to help and work with them to get the money back but they are as temperamental as a hippo. They can turn on you in a moment's notice for whatever the heck they want and you can't do nothing about it, so I am still going to try to help them get these disputes settled even though they shut my account up for whatever reason they felt like at the time. Don't get it. Wish I never had this card but I get all my issues resolved one way or the other!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I deposited my money to my account on Friday. A few hours later I received an email that $300 of my money was transferred to someone I don't even know. I immediately called customer service and was transferred to the fraud department. After being placed on hold an endless number of times. I was told that a dispute would be filed. 2 days later I receive an email that says my dispute was denied and another email that said my account was being suspended for violation of the member agreement. I again call the fraud department and was told my only recourse was to write a letter. I said, "How do I access the remaining balance on my card." She said, "Write a letter." I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for 30 minutes. I was told I could request documentation my mail. They refused to give me the name of their manager and then began to read me the email I had received. I am totally frustrated. I am writing my letter now.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I’ve been getting my paycheck deposited for several months now on my Serve card. I can count the number of times I’ve actually received my paycheck two days early on one hand and still have fingers left. The whole point of getting it deposited on the Serve card is so I could get paid early. If it comes two days early I get it Friday afternoon which is fine but I usually don’t get my deposit till 10 pm on Sunday. I am switching to a bank account ASAP!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

While overseas I attempted to use my card, I then received an email stating unusual activity on my account and protection services suspended my account and it's been suspended for three weeks, officially 15 business days on their end. I am unable to access any of my funds, was given a multitude of ridiculous reasons for the lock out. I was told this issue would be resolved in 7-10 business days and it has not. They really don't care if your rent, tuition, bills are late or if you are stuck in a foreign country with no money or way home. Please don't waste your time with this card, I've had this card for nearly 5 years and service has progressively gotten worse.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I ordered merchandise from a company NPCE they never delivered. I haven't received anything. Spoke to American Express Serve, provided proof of email and letter I sent to company and they denied refunding my $800 back even though I proved to them the company is fraudulent and the receipt were doctored up. They still refused to refund even sent letter from the Better Business Bureau trying to get a hold of company and never getting a hold of them. No response. They have all the information of them no replying and they still won't refund my money. If anyone wants to file class action lawsuits against American Express Serve please count me in. They are the worst ever. They shouldn't be allowed to even operate or offer their services and nothing will change until they start to lose money. Their money!!! Please I am on board or point me in the right direction.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Applied for credit card with Derek on June 6, 2018. He told that I would be able to do a balance transfer later today or tomorrow without any issue, since I did qualify. When I called back in they said that I couldn't do a balance transfer any longer, and that I would have to now wait till I get my credit card in the mail. Derek lied to me which was not good at all. Now I may be late and be charged with late fees on my other credit card I was trying to do the transfer on. Be prepared for the worst when speaking to one of those customer service.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I attempted to withdraw $740 from a money pass ATM. I hear the machine attempting to dispense the cash but nothing came out. I attempt the withdrawal again but the atm says I have reached my daily limit and my account deducted $740 but I never received cash! I filed a claim right away. 2 weeks later after a lot of back and forth, no emails received about it. I was told the case was closed because Bluebird said they received proof that there was no error and I had indeed received my funds. This was not true! I called the bank that services the atm I used.

Within 15 minutes I got the name and phone number of someone in the accounting dept who said they did an audit (on the day after I attempted the withdrawal) and they had an excess of funds of $740! Why is it Bluebird couldn't find this info? So I filed a new claim and sent this info to the dispute dept. I did not think something like this would happen to me and I most certainly didn't think Bluebird would take so long resolving this matter.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I set up my American Express direct deposit about 2 months after I got my job. It took two paychecks before it was actually started and that’s fine. When I got my first check deposited it came in the morning around 8 or 9 and that was for the first 4 checks or so. THEN it started coming at 10 at NIGHT which is very very inconvenient for me. I called and asked why the timing switched and no one can give me an answer. Of course I was super mad at this because I have things to go and I can’t wait around to make payments the next day. The paper I got in the mail with my card in it said TWO DAYS EARLIER. I get paid on Thursday and yes my checks deposit on Tuesday but why does it come late at night. I’m not understanding this at all!

Original review: May 28, 2018

On May 10 I returned my rental car. I had 287.00 on a hold. The hold was lifted when I returned the car. However I didn't get my money. I called everyday to the rental company which confirmed they released hold. Spoke to American Serve said it's not etc. I went all the way to the corporate of rental company and three way Serve card. Do you believe they still refused to release my money. I was so angry because I just had lost everything and had no money, no food and I stressed that I need that money. They told me nothing they can do. I will not get my money until 30 days. Let me tell you they are the worst I ever dealt with. No compassion. Very cold and rude. Please don't get this card. They are horrible.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Since receiving my 2nd, allegedly permanent American Express Serve card I have been unable to complete the activation process to receive funds from my Federal tax refund. I used Credit Karma to do my Federal income taxes. Unable to reach American Express Serve Customer Service. In setting up my online account with them I was told I was locked out, after too many attempts to log in with the username and password I set up. Subsequently I was directed to contact Customer Service. I attempt this many times, using the customer service phone number provided, both online, and in my snail mail communications from the company, and each time was told that they were unable to complete my authorization process, and was told to go online. I was never unable to speak to a live customer service representative, nor did I ever receive an email from customer service to assist me with completing my authorization of my account.

Point being this company is holding my tax refund hostage, and I feel is bogus. If there is some legal action that can be taken against this company, I would very much like to participate in that process. However, first and foremost I would like to get my tax refund from this company. If anyone posting here knows how to contact this company, and reach a live person, I would greatly appreciate that information. The only phone number I keep getting, over and over, for customer service is 1-800-954-0559. Has anyone here been able to determine if this company is truly connected with American Express? I have had a credit card with American Express, for years, and have been very satisfied with that experience. Please feel free to email me if this system allows you to receive my email address.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My first paycheck deposit in American Express Serve account. And an unauthorized transaction goes thru for all of my paycheck. My first paycheck at my new job. 785.00 dollars is not a lot especially nowadays. But that’s my hard earned money. I file a claim thinking American Express is a great company and I would have my money back in no time. Well guess what. I get an email saying my claim has been denied. I call, speak to about 5 or 6 different fraud reps before the final one, a manager. At least the manager had the balls to tell me straight up, "You are not getting your money back. It’s been finalized." Hung up. Had to walk into payroll dept at work to stop direct deposit. I felt so embarrassed telling them my first paycheck had been stolen out of my account. Please, please if anyone reads this before getting an American Express Serve account, DONT!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been a customer for a very long time and I have Never had a hold place on an incoming credit. I am very disappointed in your customer service department. They do not listen to what the customer needs. If this situation is not corrected with the store credit you have on hold from target I can take my business elsewhere. Both receipts from purchase and return included.

Original review: April 18, 2018

American Express Serve card NEED a class action lawsuit against them. After reading all the other reviews here, I am convinced that this is a fraudulent company. How are they associated with American Express? This has to be some sort of joke. I loaded $500 on to my card at CVS. I used the card to trade services and sell some collector items online. I was told this was one of the easiest ways to do so. Then FOR NO REASON - my account was permanently shut off. They gave no explanation except to say that there was fraud with one of the people I dealt with and therefore they closed MY account. Fine. But then return me my several hundreds dollars. As I am locked out of the account as well, I cannot even retrieve my current balance. This is atrocious to say the least.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Beware!!! This company places a SEVEN (7) day hold to release funds from a merchandise return. I am unaware of another card that places a hold your refund. When I politely asked for a supervisor, I was told they were "engaged". Then I said I would hold to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to another customer service rep. When I asked that rep for a supervisor, she placed me on hold for 26 additional minutes. I was never allowed to speak with a supervisor. Shady at best! Shame on you American Express!

Original review: April 16, 2018

I returned a dress at Macy’s and it took 2 days to get credit back on the card, but then American Express then puts the credit on hold for review for another 7 days. I use this card for online purchases and I don’t understand how they can hold my money this long. Is this even legal. Is it something new, because I have had them for 3 years and never had this problem. Now I will be searching for another provider. Any suggestions?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was giving the option through Credit Karma to have my taxes loaded on to this card. Some random company that has no records or phone number charged my card 200. I was filled with false hope and promises. Been fighting with them over 45 days long past the 30 days stated in our agreement. They refuse to give me supervisors or main office phone numbers. I got hung up on multiple time. Do yourself a favor. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I'm currently waiting for a new card, but be that as it may, I was for sure I would be able to manage my account online and withdraw to an external bank. I verified the bank on my Serve account and they're declining my transaction to withdraw. When you call the 24/7 customer service number, all you get is attitude and no solution to your problem. It's ridiculous. I also called because when I tried to send money, card to card transfer, it said "error" and to call customer service but once I called all I got was "there's nothing we can do". Same answer per usual. The entire American Express Serve customer service department should be shut down until they can get some professional workers who actually have solutions and can help people. I need my money!!!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have submitted a complaint to the BBB on this card. I've had it for 4 years now, and returned various things. HOWEVER, now on 3/28 I returned something I bought at Ulta for 155.51 and 3 days later find out AMEX SERVE has "placed the return on hold". I called and got told they need Ulta to "call them and verify it's a real return". So I contact Ulta, who in turn, calls them and verifies it. I submitted pictures of my return receipt, and am being told it's still 7 days before I'll see the money. Looking at other reviews, I'm doubtful I'll EVER see my money back.

I'm incredibly upset and will cancel this card immediately and only use my Wells Fargo Platinum debit card. This is sad how they lie to their consumers, three calls now and I've had three totally different replies. I finally asked if I can speak to whomever it is that is in control of my money and got the reply "there is no one you can speak to". I'm sorry WHAT? No one I can speak to at a financial institution about MY money? This seems borderline illegal and I stuck out the horrible 2018 tax refund shut down with this card as well. (When for an entire day you could not access your funds since they approved too many refunds at once.) DO NOT get this card, this bank is a mess.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I’ve had my Serve prepaid for over 3 years now. It has its ups and downs. And once I couldn’t even access my money due to system issues. That was scary. It only lasted 20 minutes though. Most smaller places do not accept this card. And even some big ones. I go to Family Dollar, deposit money onto it with no fee. I also never pay the $1 monthly fee. Even when I don’t deposit money they still don’t charge me. No idea why. Is it a glitch? I’m not complaining. I get my money pretty fast on this card. My boyfriend has Serve as well and is able to transfer money to me in seconds.

The main downside is when people say, "WE DON'T ACCEPT THAT CARD." And I’m forced to use the ATM. I just found out MoneyPass ATMs have no fee with this card so I’ll try those from now on. I’m guessing all the bad reviews are due to the fact that most satisfied customers don’t leave reviews. I decided to speak up. The card isn’t horrible, I just can’t use it at the Chinese restaurant I frequent. It’s pretty standard prepaid card. And I love how I have 0 reload fee at the Family Dollar store.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My account number was stolen and there were several unauthorized transactions. American Express Serve's investigation did not find any fraudulent activities and did not refund me the money that was stolen. They also closed my account and said they will mail me my money left in the account. I filed a complaint with BBB and I am seeking legal actions.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This company is really bad in every way, shape and form. They allowed charge but rather encourage it from a sister company to them. A charge I didn't agree on whatsoever. One day after I called them about money they have on hold for no apparent reason at all and they pissed me off and I told them once this money released I am done and wanna close the account. Next day a charge appeared from a hotel belong to a company they associated with 4 days after I checked out from. We all need to do something against this company. I am calling out to everyone here with bad experience with them to contact me or get together somehow to start a legal action against them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My father was told he'd have his money weeks ago but he hasn't received anything! Is now been 2 1/2 months... We were told that if he kept accessing his online account or calling customer service, his account would then be locked... That's bull if you ask me!!! Last year he had 4000 to all of a sudden disappear from his account. They told us all types of crap but it still doesn't amount to why his money went missing and he still hasn't gotten it back! I'm really starting to miss those paper checks!??? Maybe that's why they want us to carry these cards!??? It's just way too easy for them to get it from us and that ain't right!!!

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg