1.19/5
Based on 95 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 6, 2018

167 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 6, 2018

Since receiving my 2nd, allegedly permanent American Express Serve card I have been unable to complete the activation process to receive funds from my Federal tax refund. I used Credit Karma to do my Federal income taxes. Unable to reach American Express Serve Customer Service. In setting up my online account with them I was told I was locked out, after too many attempts to log in with the username and password I set up. Subsequently I was directed to contact Customer Service. I attempt this many times, using the customer service phone number provided, both online, and in my snail mail communications from the company, and each time was told that they were unable to complete my authorization process, and was told to go online. I was never unable to speak to a live customer service representative, nor did I ever receive an email from customer service to assist me with completing my authorization of my account.

Point being this company is holding my tax refund hostage, and I feel is bogus. If there is some legal action that can be taken against this company, I would very much like to participate in that process. However, first and foremost I would like to get my tax refund from this company. If anyone posting here knows how to contact this company, and reach a live person, I would greatly appreciate that information. The only phone number I keep getting, over and over, for customer service is 1-800-954-0559. Has anyone here been able to determine if this company is truly connected with American Express? I have had a credit card with American Express, for years, and have been very satisfied with that experience. Please feel free to email me if this system allows you to receive my email address.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My first paycheck deposit in American Express Serve account. And an unauthorized transaction goes thru for all of my paycheck. My first paycheck at my new job. 785.00 dollars is not a lot especially nowadays. But that’s my hard earned money. I file a claim thinking American Express is a great company and I would have my money back in no time. Well guess what. I get an email saying my claim has been denied. I call, speak to about 5 or 6 different fraud reps before the final one, a manager. At least the manager had the balls to tell me straight up, "You are not getting your money back. It’s been finalized." Hung up. Had to walk into payroll dept at work to stop direct deposit. I felt so embarrassed telling them my first paycheck had been stolen out of my account. Please, please if anyone reads this before getting an American Express Serve account, DONT!!!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been a customer for a very long time and I have Never had a hold place on an incoming credit. I am very disappointed in your customer service department. They do not listen to what the customer needs. If this situation is not corrected with the store credit you have on hold from target I can take my business elsewhere. Both receipts from purchase and return included.

Original review: April 18, 2018

American Express Serve card NEED a class action lawsuit against them. After reading all the other reviews here, I am convinced that this is a fraudulent company. How are they associated with American Express? This has to be some sort of joke. I loaded $500 on to my card at CVS. I used the card to trade services and sell some collector items online. I was told this was one of the easiest ways to do so. Then FOR NO REASON - my account was permanently shut off. They gave no explanation except to say that there was fraud with one of the people I dealt with and therefore they closed MY account. Fine. But then return me my several hundreds dollars. As I am locked out of the account as well, I cannot even retrieve my current balance. This is atrocious to say the least.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Beware!!! This company places a SEVEN (7) day hold to release funds from a merchandise return. I am unaware of another card that places a hold your refund. When I politely asked for a supervisor, I was told they were "engaged". Then I said I would hold to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to another customer service rep. When I asked that rep for a supervisor, she placed me on hold for 26 additional minutes. I was never allowed to speak with a supervisor. Shady at best! Shame on you American Express!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: April 16, 2018

I returned a dress at Macy’s and it took 2 days to get credit back on the card, but then American Express then puts the credit on hold for review for another 7 days. I use this card for online purchases and I don’t understand how they can hold my money this long. Is this even legal. Is it something new, because I have had them for 3 years and never had this problem. Now I will be searching for another provider. Any suggestions?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was giving the option through Credit Karma to have my taxes loaded on to this card. Some random company that has no records or phone number charged my card 200. I was filled with false hope and promises. Been fighting with them over 45 days long past the 30 days stated in our agreement. They refuse to give me supervisors or main office phone numbers. I got hung up on multiple time. Do yourself a favor. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I'm currently waiting for a new card, but be that as it may, I was for sure I would be able to manage my account online and withdraw to an external bank. I verified the bank on my Serve account and they're declining my transaction to withdraw. When you call the 24/7 customer service number, all you get is attitude and no solution to your problem. It's ridiculous. I also called because when I tried to send money, card to card transfer, it said "error" and to call customer service but once I called all I got was "there's nothing we can do". Same answer per usual. The entire American Express Serve customer service department should be shut down until they can get some professional workers who actually have solutions and can help people. I need my money!!!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have submitted a complaint to the BBB on this card. I've had it for 4 years now, and returned various things. HOWEVER, now on 3/28 I returned something I bought at Ulta for 155.51 and 3 days later find out AMEX SERVE has "placed the return on hold". I called and got told they need Ulta to "call them and verify it's a real return". So I contact Ulta, who in turn, calls them and verifies it. I submitted pictures of my return receipt, and am being told it's still 7 days before I'll see the money. Looking at other reviews, I'm doubtful I'll EVER see my money back.

I'm incredibly upset and will cancel this card immediately and only use my Wells Fargo Platinum debit card. This is sad how they lie to their consumers, three calls now and I've had three totally different replies. I finally asked if I can speak to whomever it is that is in control of my money and got the reply "there is no one you can speak to". I'm sorry WHAT? No one I can speak to at a financial institution about MY money? This seems borderline illegal and I stuck out the horrible 2018 tax refund shut down with this card as well. (When for an entire day you could not access your funds since they approved too many refunds at once.) DO NOT get this card, this bank is a mess.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I’ve had my Serve prepaid for over 3 years now. It has its ups and downs. And once I couldn’t even access my money due to system issues. That was scary. It only lasted 20 minutes though. Most smaller places do not accept this card. And even some big ones. I go to Family Dollar, deposit money onto it with no fee. I also never pay the $1 monthly fee. Even when I don’t deposit money they still don’t charge me. No idea why. Is it a glitch? I’m not complaining. I get my money pretty fast on this card. My boyfriend has Serve as well and is able to transfer money to me in seconds.

The main downside is when people say, "WE DON'T ACCEPT THAT CARD." And I’m forced to use the ATM. I just found out MoneyPass ATMs have no fee with this card so I’ll try those from now on. I’m guessing all the bad reviews are due to the fact that most satisfied customers don’t leave reviews. I decided to speak up. The card isn’t horrible, I just can’t use it at the Chinese restaurant I frequent. It’s pretty standard prepaid card. And I love how I have 0 reload fee at the Family Dollar store.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My account number was stolen and there were several unauthorized transactions. American Express Serve's investigation did not find any fraudulent activities and did not refund me the money that was stolen. They also closed my account and said they will mail me my money left in the account. I filed a complaint with BBB and I am seeking legal actions.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This company is really bad in every way, shape and form. They allowed charge but rather encourage it from a sister company to them. A charge I didn't agree on whatsoever. One day after I called them about money they have on hold for no apparent reason at all and they pissed me off and I told them once this money released I am done and wanna close the account. Next day a charge appeared from a hotel belong to a company they associated with 4 days after I checked out from. We all need to do something against this company. I am calling out to everyone here with bad experience with them to contact me or get together somehow to start a legal action against them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My father was told he'd have his money weeks ago but he hasn't received anything! Is now been 2 1/2 months... We were told that if he kept accessing his online account or calling customer service, his account would then be locked... That's bull if you ask me!!! Last year he had 4000 to all of a sudden disappear from his account. They told us all types of crap but it still doesn't amount to why his money went missing and he still hasn't gotten it back! I'm really starting to miss those paper checks!??? Maybe that's why they want us to carry these cards!??? It's just way too easy for them to get it from us and that ain't right!!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I lost my card, with $200.00 balance, called immediately to cancel it, I was told I should receive one within the next 10 days, 4 months passed and after calls and calls, and promises that the would "return my call" thing that never happened, finally got one replacement, which did not work. I could not get my money because they said I suppose to get one with my name print in it. Another 3 months have passed, I've been called every single day, they said they don't know why I can't have my money back, which is so stupid. I finally got my new card and still can't have my own money! This is ridiculous! They are not even in USA, they are in Philippines, and they keep lying about my money.

Since the beginning I was told that they were going to transfer the money with MoneyGram or Western Union, kept giving me "numbers" and telling me that my transfer was ready. When I went to the businesses, they told me that that confirmation number did not exist, and up today, they said that my case was transferred to another department and they are going to revise my case and take a resolution, that I am going to receive something in the mail, but another 2 months have passed and still can't get my money back! THEY ARE SUCH A LIARS AND ROBBERS AND I REGRET A LOT TO JUST APPLY FOR THIS ** STUPID CARD!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I've had Amex Serve for 2 years. I have NEVER had an issue with my money etc... except one time. I had an issue with a hold however the money was reversed back to my account within the 7 days since the merchant didn't come to get it. Too bad for the ones who claim Amex is stealing from them. If it's that bad maybe you should invest and look for another prepaid card to suit your needs. So tell me. Complaining on this website did it help you get your funds any sooner? How did that work out for you??? That's why people need to research these prepaid and debit cards before running to have their direct deposits and taxes loaded... Just be real. You use these cards because of the idea of getting your money faster than normal. However we all know most of the times things just don't happen that way...

Original review: March 15, 2018

American EXPRESS SERVE IS A UNRELIABLE SERVICES COMPANY. IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY AT ALL AND NEVER WILL BE EVER. The employees are so sorry and dumb it’s not even funny at all and never will be ever. Even when you tell them the truth about anything at all. Like you didn't open account with them. That someone else has done it without your acknowledging until you got something from them and then they decide to close it permanently and all they know what to say is, "I'm so sorry"! When they are full of crap and lies and a ripoff.

Original review: March 15, 2018

This organization can only be contacted in writing. They have no email contact info and the phone number has a recording that states the "system is down" & no customer service rep can respond. This organization seems to be a scam since the system has been down for three weeks.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I’ve been with Serve since at least 2014 and I have zero complaints, reading these reviews I’m astonished, but I do understand people’s psyche in situations pertaining to money, as well so I get it, but I also gotta keep it 100% from my end. So I use Serve for my partial DD from my employer as well as my refunds this year and past. I’ve had servers situations where I had invalid charges and disputed them, some ongoing as we speak. Every single time I have called them (even though I can tell they do outsource). It has been pleasant, the customer service has always been top notched, my issues were resolved in a timely manner, and no language barrier.

I am always paid two day earlier (should be Friday but mine generally post before noon on Wed) my refund post earlier no holds or issues. US Bank has never charged me a withdraw fee at ATM and my disputes were always completed and fund returned to my account in days (hoping this one goes as smooth as previous ones???). So I’m not sure if all these negative reviews are isolated incidents for these folk but I do understand that it only takes one bad experience with my money for me to quickly write and rate negatively when my money is involved, however since I really can’t say that Amex has rub me the wrong way even once I had to let the world know! Toodles I may be back writing again if my dispute don’t go as planned.

Original review: March 14, 2018

How is this company still in business? They have literally robbed so many people out of their money. Supposedly required fees for literally everything, almost afraid to look at my card in fear it will charge me! Now a week later I'm waiting for my return, my money! They said no later than 7 days. Well it is past 7 days. They are very disrespectful when called. I don't know who else to call other the people who barely understand me and I can barely understand. I pray Jackson Hewitt does not use this company for their services next year! Serve is such a scam for a decent company like American Express!

Original review: March 14, 2018

So - I had a somewhat minor problem, that led me here (I loathe calling ‘customer service’ anywhere because it’s become almost nonexistent. It’s SAD. I’m pleasantly surprised when treated properly)... I googled my issue & found this site. I was this close to direct depositing my taxes on my Serve too! Until now I’ve done BASIC TRANSACTIONS. I had an awful experience with Amazon taking $99 off my Serve - that I solved MYSELF. So after HOURS I got Amazon to give me a $20 goodwill refund too (what sports)... Well AmEx put the money returned to me ‘on hold for review that could take up to 7 days’, UM WHAT? Why would MY CARD HOLD MY MONEY GIVEN TO ME? So after 2 days of head scratching I called BIG MISTAKE!

*KEEP IN MIND THE TRANSACTION AMAZON ‘ATTACHED’ THE REFUND TO (most likely out of ease as it was my last transaction) was paid mostly by Amazon Gift Card & $3 balance with my Serve* CALL 1: The explanation given ‘if the original charge wasn’t on your Serve, we won’t accept refund’ (AGAIN: HUH? You’re really fact checking all my Amazon orders?) I was like ‘that’s INSANE, you are supposed to be my card, supporting me as the consumer?’ I did your job when Amazon took $99 because the Amex ‘merchant dept’ or whatever was closed! I spent HOURS squeezing the billion dollar company I FREQUENTLY BUY FROM for that apology $20 AND YOURE REVIEWING IT TO ULTIMATELY DENY? (Wasn’t yelling, just aghast). She seriously just hung up - because she couldn’t answer for the asinine policy or apparently pass me to a Sup.... just click!

CALL 2: DISASTER! This guy, after me explaining previous call and saying the policy doesn’t work for me, PROCEEDED TO YELL, CONDESCEND ME saying like ‘was it denied yet’ no but I was basically told it would be, he was sighing all exasperated - just honestly the rudest! Then I get a AMEX recording ‘We are sorry. We are suddenly experiencing technical difficulties, please try your call again’. THEY HAVE A PRE RECORDED FAKE EXPLANATION FOR CALL BEING TERMINATED! That’s the craziest thing ever! *Shame on me for not getting or remembering names (if they even give real ones).

CALL 3: Asked for Supervisor, was told I was number 2 in queue... waited 37 mins, hung up KNOWING I would just end up angry when the supervisor treated me like garbage too. Bad behavior & garbage service all trickles down from top (see Amazon, pre billionaire service awesome, now HORRID. But like I said GOOD CS is exception not norm anymore - when everything is so overpriced & we are squeezed for every penny too - so sad). Here’s something else telling, because of my work hours *it was 3 AM EASTERN (so still late out west too) when I was *number two in the queue and already waited 37 minutes for supervisor when I said forget it* I think that’s pretty telling also!

*THANK YOU ALL FOR TELLING YOUR STORIES AND SAVING ME THE AGGRAVATION OF MY OWN REFUND NIGHTMARE! I’m so so sorry you are having your money held hostage by another billion dollar company, believe me nothing is worse when you need your money you work so hard to get & greed mongers keep it from you! Serve cards (me & Husbands) are officially cut up!

Original review: March 13, 2018

On February 7, 2018 I had money stolen from my card. I called as soon as I found this out. A dispute was filed. After many telephone calls over many days, and very rude unhelpful customer service reps, I was told that it could take up to 45 business days for my money to be returned to me. I even had a customer service rep ask me, "Well what do you want me to do about it?" I finally contacted the merchant where the card was used and they refunded the money to my account. I shouldn't have had to do that. On February 13, 2018 I sent a payment through their bill pay to my landlord to pay my rent. There should have been no problems... Right?

On March 1 I found out from my landlord that they had not received the check. I called Bluebird and asked if I put a stop payment on the check how long would it take to get my money back. The man said within the week. On March 2, 2018 I contacted Bluebird again to put the stop payment on the check. I was told I would receive my money by March 6, 2018 by 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time. Well, It was not there. So I called the afternoon of March 6. I was on hold to talk to a supervisor for 32 minutes. I had to call back and then was assured that my money would be back in my account the next day. It was not there. I called again. I was put on hold for 45 minutes.

I was told that the dispute resolution team could take 4 business days to render their decision and then the money would be back in my account, and that I needed to look for an email from the dispute resolution team in my email, and respond to it. I was on hold for 45 minutes. No email today. No money. When I called today I was put on hold for a supervisor for over 15 minutes. I had to hang up and call back. Ann answered the phone the second time and at this time told me that the dispute resolution team had up to 10 business days to investigate, and it could take 45 days to get the money put back in my account.

In the meantime I am facing eviction for my rent not being paid by March 1st. I was assured on more than one occasion that it would not take 45 days for the stop payment. There is nothing to investigate. A paper check was sent, it has not been cashed or deposited. It will not be cashed or deposited. I need my money back. It is now March 12. I was promised on March 9th the money would be in my account today. Still not there. When I called today I was told the next dispute resolution review will be March 14th. There is no dispute to resolve or review. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever had to deal with.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Employees are rude, Yvette will disconnect with you by placing you on hold and ooops I lost ya mentality. If you ask for anything past then verifying who you are. Other than that their hands are tied. You must wait 10 days again. Tax loan and account set up February 13th and was to be received no later than February 28th. It's now March 8th. After numerous attempts and 3 purposely disconnected calls and an even worse battle with a supervisor. Called "King I Don't Care". I received a card with another account number and account info. This card I didn't apply for or sign up for. But I somehow got this and I'm still awaiting my correct account card. Going on 8 days past the original 10 days and still no card. Where is my money? They refuse to transfer funds to current card or account. Asked for temporary card. Which should take. Yep you guessed it. 10 more days.

Credit Karma uses these idiots. Stu lest from my experience idiots. Do not do your taxes thru them. Pay have them done. Or go to Turbo Tax. You will regret it. It's free. However the term you hey what you pay for surely applies here. Stay clear American Express Serve. Not a better alternative to a bank account. Not faster. They don't care. All they can say is verify or 10 days. It's not even a better alternative to shooting yourself in the foot for trying to take the cheap way out. Absolute nightmare. Take my word for it. I'm not even mad anymore and this is the nicest I can be in regards to American Express you've been served account card.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My card was supposed to be sent out on February 19th. I've yet to receive it. I called the company. They want me to pay 20 dollars to do UPS delivery... Why would I do that when I never got my first card. This company is such a scam trying to get people's money. My tax money has been there for weeks and I have no access to it. Soon as I get my money I would never use this company again. My sister went and opened a bank account filed after me and has her money. No problem...

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

It is now the 27th and the IRS has sent my funds since 2-17 but it is still not available on card and cannot speak with anyone. I received an email stating it was on the card but when I went to ATM card declined...went to other ATMs thinking it was a mistake the is stated 0. Now my balance shows 25.00 was deposited today. They will not answer but the IRS states if not available by 27th call. I'm calling the IRS. This is horrible. Never ever again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We never received the card! The IRS says our tax refund is on that card but we never got the card. When I call American Express they want me to give them the card number. HOW??? I have never seen the card! When I can't they say, "Call back when you have your card number, goodbye!" I'm so pissed! There's no other way to contact them!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I was lied to when I went to Jackson Hewitt and got talked into the American Express Serve card. I was told the atm in Wal-Mart would allow me to pull out up to $3500 a day without a fee or I could use the Serve app to find an atm to withdraw without a fee. That was a lie. I went to 3 atms from the map on the app and they all charged me between $2.00 to $4.00 to withdraw up $500.00 plus American Express then charged me an additional $3.50 on top of the atm fees and the atm in Wal-Mart didn't work for 3 days. When they fixed it I couldn't get any money off of my card as it kept telling me and others in line that were using the same card that there was an error. I ended up having to pay almost $50.00 and it took 6 days to get my money off of their card. It is a scam.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

On 02/16/2018 I received an e-mail stating my tax returned was deposited in my American Express card. No rush too busy working. On 02/20/2018 I looked at my account noticed there were two pendings on my account which I did not make. One from Home Depot in Riverside, CA over 2 hours away from my house for the amount of $433.90 and another from McDonald's in Riverside, CA for $11.46 total of $445.36. I called them up. They answered. I told them about the pending on the card that I did not authorized, my card is with me. (Should have said it was stolen, maybe then action would have taken place.) The lady I spoke with had to repeat herself over 5 times because I couldn't understand what she said. She transfer my call to the fraud department. I repeated myself. Said, I did not make those transactions, do not submit the authorization. (What I think the said, because I couldn't understand half of what they said.)

They said, "Don't worry, we are going to investigate, we will not authorize the pending transactions. And we will send you a new card. And yes you will get your money put back into your account." (After I asked over 10 times.) All is well I thought. Later that night at around 10:33 PM I received a text. 'Serve Fraud Free Msg: Did you try to charge $7.27 on Card ending **** at DANIEL **, MD-E? Reply 1 if Yes, 2 if No.' (I didn't reply until the next morning at work). This transaction was in Texas. The account wasn't mine so I thought. Call them up the lady on the other end. Said it was my new card that they are sending. I asked her how is that possible that someone else is using it already when it didn't even leave your building. She said don't worry your account is frozen they can't use it anyway.

I'm trying to explain to her when I do reactivate my card they too will have access to it. She transferred me to the fraud dept. First I told him about Home Depot and McDonald's and then about my inactivated new American Express Card. He said pretty much the same thing she said. She probably didn't even transfer me. He was probably sitting right next to her. I told him I called yesterday regarding this and he said, "Oh yes I see it on file." So on 02/23/2018 I look at my account again before work. And lo and behold the pending 2 transaction went through. So right away I called up. She tried to understand what I was saying and I tried to understand what she was saying.

She said she was going to transfer me to fraud again but she said if we get disconnected call this number 800-555-4318. And of course we got disconnected. So I called up that number and they answered after waiting for like 8 minutes. I spoke with a person that spoke better English. Right away I asked for his name. "Mark" he said. I told him the whole story again, did not authorize, about my new card I don't have yet, but yet someone is trying to use it. Why the pendings went through. And that I call on the 20th regarding this. He said, "I have no information regarding your calls, but it does show a new card is being sent." He said, "Let me check to see who you spoke with last." He said, "The person is right here in the same room." He proceeded to say, "I will put the dispute in right now regarding The Home Depot and McDonald's. It will take 7 to 10 days for any action." Before I even hung up it was in my E-Mail.

About the pending he said, "We can't stop any pending transactions, said after it goes through then you can make a dispute regarding fraudulent use." Regarding my new card that I don't have yet. He doesn't understand how that could have happened. So hopefully, I will get my money back. Once everything is said and done my money is out of American Express, leave home without it!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

When I used the ATM it charged me 4 times. I called the number on the card. They tell me I have to do a dispute. I did. I tried to use ATM today and it declined. I called and I'm told my account has been closed and I can't access my money. I have to wait to receive my money which can be 45 days. This is ridiculous. That is all my money. My paycheck also goes direct deposit. I'm pissed. Never again will I use this card or company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was waiting for my permanent card to arrive in the mail so I called Serve to see if they could transfer money from one of my Serve accounts to another one of my Serve accounts. They stated I could only transfer from my Serve account to another person's Serve account with a different name. How dumb is that. That seems way more fraud than me sending my money to my own account. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My husband's tax refund was deposited onto our American Express Serve card Saturday 2/17/2018 where upon receiving a email stating that the refund was in and available we go to a ATM to make a withdraw where the ATM proceeds to decline the transaction. Thinking it's a ATM malfunction we go to a different one where it proceeds to say the same thing. Declined. So we go home and I call the number on the back of the card to find out that American Express Serve has deducted every declined ATM transactions off my account including the ATM fees. I have the receipt of the declined transactions and no money so I call customer service. Nothing. Sunday something. Nothing. When I did finally get to speak to a live human they barely speak English and inform me that I have to mail them the only copy of the declined transactions to dispute the charges and I would know something in 10 days.Um not going to happen. What?

So they can turn around and say they didn't receive them and refuse to reimburse what they stole. I don't think so. I do not have ** on my forehead and because I speak English does not make me stupid. I'm definitely not using either one of them again next year you can believe that. Oh yeah. It was Monday 2/19/2018. I was told that it's now Thursday 2/22/2018 and I'm still getting the runaround. It's **. I'm going to the newspaper and TV news about it as well as a lawyer and I will be suing both companies. Thanks for the help proving my case.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg