2.77/5

318 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

I filed my taxes through Jackson Hewitt and got the refund anticipation loan on my card right away. Well about a month later I find out my account has been permanently closed due to overdraft fees. I don't understand how I overdrafted if there's no money on the card. Now my refund from my federal taxes is supposed to go to that card but the account is closed and they wouldn't help me when I called customer service. Is my money going to be sent back to the IRS or Jackson Hewitt? So stupid. Never will I use Serve again.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Terrible experience. Not one of my bills accepts this card. Closing the card is a nightmare. I had a ten cent hold on the card by a company and it took 7 days to clear. I want to close the card. Now all of a sudden my card has a balance of ten cents. I went to get food and told them to charge ten cents to the stupid card so it has a zero balance. I go to close it and now I have to wait for the ten cent charge to clear. You have to have a zero balance to close the card. It is very difficult to get somebody on the phone from this company. They expect you to deal with an automated phone system. This card is useless for paying bills. I still am trying to get this card closed.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Will never use that card again. I received an erroneous, duplicate charge. Their response was just wait. The charges take forever to be removed. No one even speaks English. Even one just basically reading the same script.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Most horrible experience! Loaded money on this card to treat myself to a birthday trip to Vegas and the card wouldn't work. I called customer service and the first guy hung up on me! The second person told me I have to wait for a permanent one to use my funds! Mind you the price of the flight is steady going up! They ruined my mother's day!!!!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I should have read the reviews before applying for their cash back card. Being a member for a short period of time I have had a lot of experience with their customer service, enough to realize that they do not hire the sharpest tool in the bin. I have tried several times to recoup an extra payment on a bill I paid by mistake... not a huge amount but enough to follow through for a refund. At one time I thought I finally got through and received the extra payment. But lo and behold I received my statement showing I owed the amount I received as a refund. Giving up, I repaid the bill again and gave the experience a lesson in higher education. If anyone should ask me what is in my wallet...it sure won't be an American Express Credit Card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: May 4, 2019

I made one transaction with a company. The company made 16 unauthorized transactions totaling almost $700. I immediately contacted American Express Serve. They sent to me via email a fraud dispute claim on the 4th of April then they told me it was a billing issue. They emailed me the very same identical fraud dispute claim which I completed for the second time on April 11th because it was a billing issue and not a fraud. April the 19th after several complaints seeking a resolution and refunding me my money that was unauthorized I received another saying dispute fraud form. I complied with all three of those forms in a timely fashion. May 5th I was told I would have a provisional amount equaling the unauthorized amount on my card. What a lie.

They didn't tell me on May 5th 30 days later that they have been sending it to the wrong department and I have to wait an additional 10 days total discussed with this company. They are predatorial. They're unprofessional. They are manipulative and I yet to receive the unauthorized transaction amount after complying with all four of their request and I also included an 8-page detail-oriented billing issue with this account. Does anybody know the CEO of American Express Serve, board members or anyone that I can file a complaint with because this should be looked at by the attorney general and by the Federal banking industries.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I received an American Express Serve Pre-Paid card as a birthday present. When I received it, I looked at the outside of the card package and felt it was OK to put it in my safe and use it at a later date. On the package it said "no hidden fees" and an expiration date of 7/2023. On 4/19/19 I registered the card and asked for the balance. I was shocked to hear that it was at a $0 balance.

I called customer service to see what the mistake could have been. I was told that there was a $6.95/month service fee that starts when the card is initially purchased. I asked about the no hidden fee statement on the package and he said that if you open the package up they list all of the fees inside. To me that is hidden and false advertising on the package. In my opinion, this company is guilty of fraud, theft of services and false advertising. I am surprised that a class action lawsuit has not already been established. I recommend that you DO NOT use one of their prepaid cards and be subject to their ripoff practices.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Updated on 04/24/2019: Regarding to the dispute process with account protection services of Amex Serve. ****### Update as of today 4/2/19 12:32. California, Orange County. I made another call to follow up with my identity theft dispute process. [Follow up event yesterday 3:45 pm The volleyball battle between the 100% wrong billing and the yes-mieh miao @-"fraud dept." They scored nice. I scored dry (because I'm the ball). For their game. Status document decline. (April, 23, 19). ***#### I gave it another try at 7:30 pm. THE GOOD INSISTED AFTER REVIEWING MY CASE HE WILL DO WHATEVER HE COULD TO GET ME AN ANSWER TOMORROW! (The good might be the wiper).

Back to the call: *****###%% After a few minutes pending in a haunted crazy music...THE UGLY told me my dispute has been declined due to the blank information of my documents.. Choked!.... It's funny I have my PDF un rewritten right here. If I sent blank why does it original full of numbers in here. Besides I took screenshot and send by PDF so it impossible for them to rewrite the case. At this point they are actually up to something besides the identity theft transaction dispute that nail on me.

The process will not gonna be honored until May 1st, 2019 and take 10 more business day to the dispute. When I'm not in need, they charged me hundreds of dollars for using their cards (only for 2 months). I just accidentally used their service for mining coins business. I don't want to change card because it took a lot of works. Plus not a right time. What I didn't expect is when We in need, they turned their back on customer with all type of games they played to stop us retrieve what we own. First time ever I encountered this kind of flawless bank like this ** literally. Apologies for bad words. They deserved it! Apply new claim (extended from April 9th). Take 10 more business day (May 1st, 19).

Original Review: My name is Van **, California. I'm a victim of Identity theft and the American Express denied to give me information. Also decline my fraudulent claim!!! At January, 2019 I purchased the first Ever AmexServe prepaid card. Then later on I have another card with Amex Serve. During 4 months they charged me at least $400 transactions fees. I did not complain, until recently on March 26, 2019. For one night, all of my credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards have been compromised!! There were total 57 fraudulent transactions made in my credit cards.

Next day me and my wife have To called in each of the creditors. Took us more than 8 hrs trying to resolve the mess. Feeling unsafe. I started to download all of the statements that related to my accounts to double check. On April 8, I first called them to notice that my information has been compromised. I dont know where, but I guarantee these (29 transactions total in both Serve Cards) are not authorised and I have no idea where is that Merchant (CHINA BEIJING) came from. I'm under FINANCIAL CRISIS. MY IDENTITY HAS BEEN STOLEN. I SUFFERED FROM THE IDENTITY THEFT SINCE 2015.

April 9 I first calling and confirmed those transactions are not authorized card ending (**). April 9 I call the account services. Confirmed those transactions card ending ** are not authorized. They promised to help me out the best they could and I will received the provision credit in the next 10 days. April 19 I received to email from the Serve Fraud department require me to submit docs regarding the fraudulent charges (it was Friday). Feeling like they playing fishing game by sending me a homework to do while they enjoy EASTER. I still manage to submit those docs few hours after I got them. April 23: 7:00 Am I receive my doc is decline. Claim that I did not send the declaration of FRAUD (which is I did and I tag the FTC report along with those docs).

Next hour the fraudulent department told me it was billing department problems (?) and they go ahead open a new case asking me to wait another 10 days to have their DECISION should they provision credit me back or not??? And in a few second Agent Benjamin add on (and extra 45 business days). I was shock but still calm down. Hung up the phone, take a look at the doc I sent them, readjust and send them back in under the new link that they provided me. Then here come Ana. I called in she told me the whole diff story and blame the billing department. The billing department later on push me back to fraud department and I was like a volleyball. After another 4 call talking to 4 diff agents. They all insisted that I have my answer before 5 pm.

As it already 6:15 and I got nothing from those "Verbal Words of business" I called back. The agent told me "Well if you got nothing then you need to wait for 45 days." Agent Natasha insisted! Why do they keep lying to their customer? I suspect the fraudulent activity is the money laundering since they using my acc to purchase something not real? And still not obvious for the Amex to finish off but extend from April 9- May 30? So they agreed with those merchants to scam me money and give them more time to run away with that? Or simply the money laundering business in China is also Amex Serve Boss or Vip Customer? As I seen a lot of reviews, I believe the reason my information has been exposed is mostly from the third party. And The Amex Serve pretty much stand on their side more than the customers.

I am a victim of Identity theft and the Amex Serve abusing my account, by giving me false information, evaluating my case wrong from the beginning yet has any make up move BUT ALSO TRYING TO EXTEND MORE TIME. Ever since I asked them to contact the merchant asking for invoice and tracking number I bet how could they show. The Amex agent insist that they won't call the merchant and run investigation from behind. This is more than a conspiracy I can see here.

The payment provider - American Express Serve - the shady third party - the hacker Are from the same source That's why they stand for each other. The Amex when get complaint will try to delay resolved the case; as long as they could, so their associates could cover up evidence and run away from the touch of the agency. Then depends on their mood, they will decide to credit back or not! I have more than 3 evidences that back my word. I NEED LEGAL ASSISTANCE HELP. WE ARE US CITIZEN CONSUMERS. WE NEED TO TAKE DOWN THIS SCAMMER. Any suggestions or any help would be very much appreciated!!! Not to mention in 3 months for 2 cards they charge me more than $400 fees.

Original review: April 19, 2019

So beyond pissed. My account is missing 1100 dollars and this idiots don't know where it is. I called to talk to someone and was told I had to send a letter to a PO Box. These people are scammers. I will not be putting any more of my money in there.

Original review: April 17, 2019

4/2/2019. I used the atm located on the Daytona State College campus, a receipt printed that read, "Amount dispensed $0.00. Unable to process the transaction at this time," yet the funds ($600.00) were withdrawn from my account... I contacted both the card owner American Express Serve and the atm owner the Financial Educators credit union and filed a dispute. I was told to allow 10 business days for them to complete their investigation...

Fast forward to 4/15/2019 I received an email which stated the investigation is complete and not in my favor? Every time I’ve asked to speak to someone in the back office disputes department I’ve been told that incoming calls aren’t accepted. The atm owner acknowledged that the funds weren’t dispensed and American Express acknowledged that only one attempt was made to withdraw the funds. I provided the receipt from the transaction yet my money hasn’t been returned. This company a 0 star‼️

Original review: April 17, 2019

Updated on 05/07/2019: American Express Serve stolen card 4-17-19 of $1253.04 plus they denied it 3 times. I hired a lawyer who took my case saying I have a strong case. I'm now in a lawsuit. With Serve with evidence of foul play and proof back office didn't even look into it. They played too much and trying to take money. I'm not alone. My lawyer has 98 open cases against this company as we speak.... He said they are doing what Wells Fargo did to to many people who don't deserve their names. I'm mud and money disappearing. It's amazing that American Express is doing this. Their name always held high trustworthy appeal. Well an employee slipped saying. "Serve prepaid no one cares. People getting this are people with no credit and no appeal." Sad isn't it.

I always thought people were building up what companies like you steal from them. I don't trust this company. A lot don't have great perfect credit, doesn't mean you have that right not to treat me like those people who do. I mean they are rude, I've been in hold before for too long to be hung up on, it's been a heartbreaking nightmare, that I wouldn't want anyone to go through yet sadly people by the handful are daily...crazy. But they can't keep thinking they can get away with it. We're fighting. I thank you Consumer Affairs for caring and letting us share our history I hope to save another from. Keep fighting. It's our money and we have that right!!

Original review: Fraud unit of serve has front office people who are the rudest unknowledgeable and unwilling to help ever. Taking being hung up on to kepted on hold for hours to be told back office investigators that. U can't talk to. No numbers can't email them... But here a PO box that your letter can go to... To. Knowing you have proof of them accepting forms. To uploading it 9 times. To being told. No provisional credit given when my card was stolen. Waiting 45 days turns into 95 days. Of front office saying. "We don't know anything on this. Sorry about your luck". I had $1018.04 fraudulently taken from my account...

Police Dept on case has sent proof of ATM pictures showing it wasn't me. And this card. Losing paper work. Saying oops as they hang up. It's crazy. That you can't talk to these investigators. Crazy you can't email them... Crazy they have no sigh of this before office truly even being real....I'm still in dispute but I mentioned floss and guess who is all of a sudden...willing to help. This card itself... Needs to be under investigation.

Original review: April 15, 2019

If I could give 0 Stars I would. I made purchase back in February and never received my item from Etsy and they finally sent me a refund only for Amex Serve to hold my 185.31 for 7 days. Apparently they hold any refunds you receive for 7 days even if the company has sent the funds back. Please stay away from this card, customer service is horrible since all calls there are outsourced, then most places won't even accept the card.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Four fraudulent charges in December 2018, 4 months ago, totaling $233.69 and AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVE has NOT refunded my money. I have my original card and the charges were at places I have never been, and according to the FTC, that money should be refunded automatically because I HAVE THE ORIGINAL CARD. AMEX SERVE customer support has you with barely speaking English staff and no one gives a DAMN.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I can't get simple direct deposits. Card seems like a great deal until a DD doesn't go through and they see nothing on their end. Gave them tracking number from deposit, they couldn't do anything with that. Worthless. Also last year 2018 I had my tax refund go onto this card and everyone that had this card couldn't withdraw for 2 days I think! You might be able to google it because people were furious on that forum! So I'm waiting on that deposit and I'm canceling forever and telling everyone I know how inconvenient my experience has been.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have an American Express card, and after reviewing transaction history I found out that someone used my card to spend over $1,000 without my knowledge or permission. I went through the process of filling out their paperwork, giving them all the information I have, including the case number because I'm pressing charges. American Express, however, is refusing to adjust my balance and they're saying that it's an authorized transaction. I'm all like HOW??? So basically if someone steals your information and uses it to have their own shopping spree, American Express will tell you you're out of luck. I'm better off carrying cash. I do not recommend them, they have been no help at all whatsoever.

Original review: April 9, 2019

First and most important not all retailers accept American Express because AE charges too much to those retailers. 2nd when things go wrong and for no good reason do things go wrong you must call customer service for help. I needed a new card so I called but because my card was no longer good the recording just wanted me to call back when I got the info they needed. Finally I just hit 0 until I got a human. They have the wrong address. Must wait the 10 days before they can resend it. Nightmare because you can't access the money on the card unless you know someone else with the same account. Good luck to anyone that gets this card. My suggestion is Get another card or do an online bank. Much better results.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I received my card in Jan 2019. I have never activated it. Somehow there was $4 on the card. In Mar 2019 Highlights for Children (I have never heard of) charged my card $1. Then they tried to charge $27. I received an email telling me I didn't have the funds for the charge. Well NOOOOO I never activated the card. How can they allow a $1 charge to go through? And allow another charge to try to go through? When I log in it tells me to activate my card. So I know it's not activated. This is nothing but a fraud company now!

Original review: April 8, 2019

This is a horrible card to get. They will hold your money for any transaction didn't matter if it's a charge or a credit. They love to tell you, the merchant is placing a hold of the transaction for anywhere from 7 to 30 days, when in reality it's them, and then they have the nerve to tell you that can't do anything about it until the merchant clears it. That's a bunch of crap. And don't even think about using it for a car rental. They're going to hold your money and I mean hundreds of dollars for a month or longer even after you've received your final receipt and everything.

Then there's the charges that are absolutely insane. My most recent statement dated 4/2/2019 has 120.50 just in ATM fees alone. Now that's a clear rip, then they say, "Well if you use a in network ATM there's no fee," but keep in mind that a lot of companies are moving away from American Express because of their high fees so you're not going to find any in network ATM machines so you're stuck again.

And please don't listen to the "get paid 2 days in advance" scheme. That's how they get you, they NEVER EVER and I mean EVER post early my checks are sent to them on Wednesday and when I inquired as to why they continue to hold the funds until Friday every week they come with the, "Well the payment from your employer has a part date of this Friday so that's when we have to release it, if they had today's pay date on it we would release it today."

Now we all know that no payroll company is going to put any date other than the actual payday on checks, however most companies i.e. RushCard, Chime, etc. loads the funds as soon as they're received, that's just American Express way of doing what they do best, DEFLECTING. THEY WILL ALWAYS TELL YOU IT'S THE MERCHANT WHEN IN REALITY THEY ARE THEY ONES TRULY STEALING OR MONEY... I said all this to say people please don't get. This card is really a headache that in this day and age you just really can't afford. Trust me. I know, just go with Chime. They're a good company and they don't charge you insane fees." You've been warned!!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Thirty day hold on 460.00$ after 582.11 was paid to Enterprise. I rented a car and returned it in March 22nd and was charged 582.11 and a 460$ hold is on my card and I was told I have to wait 30 days for my money? Nowhere did I sign in any agreement that I would allow anyone to hold 460$. The deposit is 200. They paid them the fee. Now I have to wait. This company is a RIP off AND deserve to be shut down for their fraudulent practices. ZERO STARS.

Original review: April 3, 2019

This card is only good if you’re looking to get your paycheck 4 or 5 days early. Otherwise, use another service. You’re charged .75 for declines. Unless you live close to a no fee ATM, you’re charged 2.50 for each atm transaction and .75 for declines. You’re only allowed $750 cash withdrawals in 24 hr. Imagine withdrawing $750 in $200 increments. That’s 2.50 times three, plus ATM fee if it’s not a free ATM and free ATMs are not easily accessible in most cities. Serve card holds refunds and credits, sometimes for over 14 days. Serve held money from a cancelled car rental for 30 days. 30 days! I have proof. From 25 Feb -28 Mar 2019.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I noticed a double charge on my credit card for adding funds to my Serve account. I contacted Serve which was futile as they said they cannot see the charges on my credit card. Fine. Contacted American Express credit card, two days later the funds I had added were reversed, meaning gone, no credit back to my credit card. Called Serve back and rep said they no longer can accept added funds from credit card and they are retroactively reversing these. So now I am out double the funds as I wait for credit card to investigate the issue. I smell HUGE FRAUD!!! BEWARE!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

Someone used my card for Lyft service. Their policy for the first review is 10 days but it seems like a sham so they can devise a plan to not give you any fund even after 45 days. AmEx I'm disappointed. Where are the lawsuits?

Original review: March 28, 2019

I agree with everyone else. The refund process sucks. They lie and say it's the merchant and they have not received the funds which is not true. Everyone you talk to tell you something different. They all lie and refuse to transfer you to higher ups. Once I get my money back, this will be my last time dealing with them. They used to be okay but tax season last year, this year were awful as well as some of my direct deposits not being on time. Please avoid these people!

Original review: March 26, 2019

While I understand placing holds on funds on a prepaid card for obvious reasons, Serve has a new policy of holding merchant credits for 7 days even after the merchant's bank has verified the credit. For example, I returned an item to World Market on 3/22, World Market issued the credit on 3/23, but Amex Serve is holding it "pending merchant review" for approx. 7 days. So I have no access to the funds. I contacted World Market and they have assured me the money has been returned/credited. So I'm not sure where there is a basis for such a hold.

Additionally, when I contacted Serve customer service re this issue, I was given a completely different reason for the hold: that it was the merchant reviewing it. That is false. So this is currently what happens when you use the card: Serve places a 7 day hold on the funds until the merchant finalizes the transaction even if you cancel the order, then if you return it, you have to wait an additional 7 days to get your money. One transaction can result in not having access to your money for 14 business days. Go elsewhere.

Original review: March 16, 2019

They will hold your money until they feel like releasing back to your account all the while telling you to contact the merchant. Well I had the merchant on the phone with me and we were both told that they had a 200$ hold on my card and the merchant explained they did not and she even went as far as to resend the final bill and payment receipt to show that nothing was being held by their company, only to have American Express customer service rep to say, "Well the hold's there and there nothing we can do until it falls off in 30 days..."

Wtw, they truly only care about the money not their consumers... And let's not talk about the ATM fees, yeah they'll say use a MoneyPass ATM for free. But guess what? There's no MoneyPass ATM in the area at all so you'll be stuck paying 5$ per withdrawal 2.50 to the ATM owner and 2.50 American Express every time you use your card, now that's just downright robbery!! I would honestly say if you need a card please look around first... I warned you!

Original review: March 16, 2019

On Feb 20 I made a 670 dollar payment for my car. On the 25 my car loaner called and says that my check has been returned because I reverse the check. Which I didn't. I have been calling Serve Amex whatever since the 1st of March and they can't tell me anything. They don't see the transaction but they removed the money out of my account. It was not returned to my account. So off to the lawyer's office I go. This is not the first time something like this has happened with them. So now I am looking at a repo because of them. Oh the kicker is when I called them this morning they hung up on me.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Amex/Serve members please beware! This institution takes people money and won’t think twice. I have been a member for 3 years now and today was horrible. I attempted to withdraw $180 from a MoneyPass atm and the atm did not dispense my money but $180 was deducted out my account! I spoke with the bank at which I used the atm and told them of the issue and to run the cameras. I was told to contact my institution, as protocol. I contacted Amex and the representative did not understand anything I was saying, and was absolutely RUDE! I stayed on the phone with them for 1 hour, only to get nowhere! I am so saddened and angry that this happened and I just really don’t understand how this could happen! PLEASE BE AWARE! Do not purchase any AMEX cards!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I’ve been with American Express Serve for many years just to upload money to make certain payments, I finally choose to trust in them to receive my employment direct deposit and tax refund. Someone did fraud on my account $605 dollars a fee. I called and reported it. They told me they’ll send me an email to dispute it and wait 10 days, I sent them evidence that on those days I was at work many many miles away from the location of fraud transactions. For them to tell me I was denied my stolen money. I asked them to please explain why and what “investigation” they did and all they told me was the team doesn’t get on the phone. All I can do I write them a letter???! I don’t recommend this card service to anyone unless you are willing to give away your money to thieves... I am completely heartbroken.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I’ve done business with AmEx Serve for close to four years and I’ve loved the way their customer service were consistently polite, helpful, professional, courteous, knowledgeable, spoke clearly and well mannered. They would expedite all cases. I’ve never left a grievance or a bad review in nearly 4 years. But something is wrong with AmEx Serve when I read the other reviews I couldn’t believe this is the same company. But as of late it is nearly impossible to reach a customer service representative. They are not at all the same as just a few months ago. I’ve decided to take my case to court. I just have no other alternative.

Original review: March 14, 2019

So I only received the Amex Serve to file my taxes. Well my entire wallet was stolen on January 26th. I immediately reported the card stolen. Somehow the person was able to use my card 10 times as credit no pin and Amex Serve allowed it totaling up to $400. So I call highly upset and they continue saying, "I understand." "No you don't." Long story short made me wait 45 days for an investigation just to decline my dispute. I've talked to supervisors managers everyone. This makes no sense. I'm so done with this company. I'm a single mother who's been put in a bind. Thanks to this stupid company. Can't wait to cut ties. DONT GET THIS CARD. WASTE OF TIME.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg