1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

253 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have utilized American Express Serve - Prepaid Debit cards on several occasions, due to the simple fact that I do not wish to have a Bank Account. This, of course, is my choice and I need not follow what everyone else is doing to know genuine rights to be afforded to people... which is a right to transact without negotiable instruments that create bonds and debt and hindering policies unreasonably... I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I recently experienced utilizing the Temporary Card, which mind you, is immediately activated upon purchase at any said 'retailer' that sells the cards for a Fee (ranging from $1.00 to $3.95) for the one-time loaded card in an amount up to $500.00. I simply made an online purchase, for which the company I transacted with turned out to conduct themselves in fraudulent activity by not only not delivering exactly what they promise, but also creating hidden stipulations that I would never agree to knowingly, willingly, or with competence.

Nonetheless, I attempted to dispute the transaction with the online company, and of course, they have been reluctant to issue a refund. Even though the finance they stole from me is minimal, they still have committed Fraud and are therefore liable as a company, now and forever, until the wrong is set right... each and every employee on all levels of operations.

Since the online company was not willing to cooperate, I was forced to contact American Express Serve to have them complete a federally-regulated transaction dispute for the fraud I reported within a reasonable timeframe. Rather than initiate a dispute, I experienced both a Customer Service Representative and a so-called "Manager" after having called: 800-954-0559, which is the Customer Service toll-free number given on the back of the card, denying me my absolute right to dispute, since according to them, the card is was only a temporary card.

A temporary card does not have to be registered to be activated and utilized, simply purchased (which activates the FDIC aspect of the card as well), as the account is activated within American Express Serve's Card Accounts Department by the retailer. And, instead of me arguing with American Express Serve's Representatives about what I do understand and what they do not, I simply explained their liability for setting up their company and being insured with the FDIC, which has clear policies that address fraudulent transactions and the immediate remedies to be afforded to all people (i.e. customers), without compromise.

The moral of this story is, "Stop trusting these lying, thieving, and conniving companies, who know exactly what they have arrogantly been doing to have defrauded honest and innocent people for decades... it's definitely nothing new. However, they still seem to be around in operation, or they transition under a new legal entity, by a different name, operated under the same types of corporate policies and procedures that only benefit them, while robbing the unsuspecting and pretending that the unsuspecting agree to their "Terms and Conditions" that are deceptive coercive in nature themselves, by principles. Thanks for reading and hopefully this review helps tons of people stop tolerating corporate tyranny. They are only in power so as long as we keep turning to them and buying from them... Otherwise they would be as "broke" and as seemingly helpless as the average person.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was one of the New Accounts Rep who launched this Serve Card back in 2012 from their Phoenix AZ corporate office. We processed over 700 new accounts from Facebook users alone. Reading all these complaints makes me sad but at the same time, I too have had my fair share on experiencing their horrible customer service. A $249.99 charge suddenly popped up in my account on Sunday 12/16/18. I called AMEX Serve right away to report a fraudulent activity on my account and was told that the Fraud Dept would not accept my call because they don't THINK the transaction was a fraud because I have dealt with this merchant before in the past. My account is left with $16.92 available balance and I was told I need to dispute with merchant directly.

I told them there's nothing to dispute because I'm already reporting it as a fraud. No one would listen. They just kept telling me I will get it back after 7 days. I told them when I called back today that I have an email from merchant cancelling the said transaction and that they have credited back my account. Today 12/17/18 I offered to forward merchant’s confirmation email on cancelled transaction. I was told I had to wait up to 7 days before I can access my money!!! I told them that is **!!! How can I feed myself and my kids with $16.92 for 7 days??? I'm so mad at these idiots and to think today is my birthday. If I'm still working for AMEX today...I will not allow this horrible customer service to not be addressed by higher ups. It is wrong protocol to hold someone’s funds especially when the merchant has already cancelled the transaction and yet AMEX Serve puts my funds on hold for a merchant review. What is there to review?

The merchant and I resolved the issue ourselves...why would you not release my funds back to me?? SHAME ON ALL OF YOU THERE AT CUSTOMER SERVICE...WHY ARE YOU WORKING AS A CSR IF you yourself is the cause of my hardship on my freaking birthday of all days!!! Wake up managers!!! Change your ridiculous protocol. Ask for your rights to override a hold credit status...you are supposed to be empowered to lead your people in providing world class customer service to us card holders!!! Don’t you dare waste what we worked so hard for back in 2012!!!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On 12/6/18, I received an email telling me that my email address was being changed in my Serve account. Since I was not making any changes, I contacted the AMEX customer service number (the only number available to call) to let them know that someone was fraudulently accessing my account. The customer service rep kept asking questions, but failed to shut down the account. At the time I called in, the money was still in the account. I finally hung up on him because he kept asking me the same questions over and over again.

I called right back and, at that time, the money was still in the account. The second customer service rep also failed to shut down the account when I immediately asked him to do so. After being transferred to another department and having to go through everything again, 20 minutes later I see that my entire account has been wiped out. So instead of shutting the account down immediately, they played around until all the money was taken out.

Now, I had to have them put in a request for review and to try to get MY money back. On 12/14/18, I receive a notice that the money was put back in my account. However, I was still waiting on a replacement card. In the meantime, I had changed all my login information on my Serve account to be safe. Today, 12/10/18, I receive my new Serve card and follow the directions to activate the card. I then tried to use it to make a donation to a friend’s cancer site and I am declined. DECLINED for a cancer contribution. This is outrageous. I then get an email saying the following:

"During our recent review of your American Express Serve® Account, we identified Account activity that we believe violates the terms of the Serve Consumer User Agreement. As a result of such activity, and pursuant to Section 15(d) of the Serve Consumer User Agreement, your Account and your Account privileges have been permanently suspended."

I have done NOTHING against my User Agreement! That is when I proceeded to contact AMEX Serve at the only number provided – only to get disconnected immediately with a message that my account has been permanently closed – click. I had to use a different phone not associated with my account just to get through to a person. This then turned into 3-4 people, all who apologized profusely but told me there is nothing they can do and I may not get my money back at all. This is undoubtedly illegal and I am in the process of filing a consumer complaint and seeking an attorney.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I see I am far from the only person in the same predicament. I purchased a prepaid AMEX card to make an online purchase from a site that I didn't trust with my regular credit card. For what it's worth, this site has accepted prepaid VISA and MC before, but this time I had a prepaid AMEX. The site declined the card, and its support told me to contact AMEX to make sure the card was activated and valid. AMEX assured me it was, and that they never received a transaction attempt. They also mentioned that it was possible that the website simply didn't not accept a prepaid card (note my comment above).

No worries, I would just use the card at a brick-and-mortar vendor. No luck there, either -- my card was also declined at a live POS. Once again, I contacted AMEX to find out if my card was somehow canceled or invalidated. Nope, they said, it has the full $50 on it. Thus, I visited this site to see if others have had a similar situation. It sounds like a prepaid AMEX is quite the lemon. Folks, save yourself the grief and avoid these cards. Prepaid CCs are ripoffs enough, but sometimes they are necessary safeguards with the added mark-up being the price of your own security. So if you must buy one, steer toward Visa or MC instead.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've had this card 3 or 4 years my only issue is a lot of times they are offline and I cant use my card. I go to transfer money out my reserve and it shows my reserve as 0 balance when I know its money there. So a lot of times I've been in stores and got declined because the card wouldnt go thru. Just today I was at the nail shop trying to get money out the reserved money and it kept saying error. So couldn't get my money again. Luckily I had cash to pay the lady. I like this card but will be getting a different card soon because when I want my money I WANT my money. Not hours and days later when AMEX releases it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Run as fast as you can from this horrible company. I went to Walgreens today 11/29/2018 and loaded $60.00 cash on my card. The money I loaded was never applied to my balance and I soon learned the whole system was down. I called customer service and they told me it would take 66 days for me to get my money back and the rep was super rude. I contacted Walgreens and the manager said the transaction went through just fine. I loaded this money so I could renew my drivers license and now Amex Serve has left me to walk down the street. They took all the money I had and the rep smirked in my ear as I told him over and over again that Walgreens was not the cause. This card should be shut down and is an embarrassment to our Country. Why and how are they allowed to steal their customers money without any recourse?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Do not use the company for direct deposit. I've had nothing but hassles and issues with American Express Serve. I was told today that I may get my paycheck today or tomorrow. They're not sure. I always get paid by 6:30 in the morning on this day. Then the lady says she has the power to expedite it so I say, "Go ahead and expedite it," and she says, "I don't have that power!" Terrible, terrible service!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had American Express Serve for years and I've never had a problem until October 29th. I used my card at a bankruptcy appointment. It was only charged for $17.95. It went through successfully and everything was okay. I went down the street to the gas station to get some gas and my card was declined. Now mind you I still had $184 left on my card they declined my transaction, I called American Express Serve and I got hung up on. I get an email about an hour later say that my account was locked and that I had violated the terms of the agreement. I have no idea what they're talking about and I don't think they do either. They told me to look on the website and look at Article 15 D. I looked up Article 15 D and it tells me nothing.

I have called over 20 times to try to talk to somebody about my money. They tell me that I am not due a refund and since the account was locked it's their money now basically. I have called and called and called again. First they tell me 10 days then they tell me 30 so I don't know who is the head of this company or something needs to be done because I'm not the only one that has lost money with American Express Serve.

Having to call customer service and getting sent to the fraud department is very nauseating because nobody helps you. Everybody is from overseas. They can't understand what you're saying and I think it's some kind of ploy to get your money. I am going to consult Consumer Fraud in my state and let them know what's going on and also the Federal Trade Commission. I hear they could help. I hope so. I've already closed my account and change my direct deposit. I'm glad I did because I would have been out of my whole paycheck then in the next two days. These people are crooks. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

So, 10/30 I made a payment to one of my bills. 11/2/2018 it was delivered (125.00). Then, the company sent it back saying that I was to pay in cash or money order. So, they mailed the check back to me. I called customer service and they told me within 24 hours it should be back on my account if it was not cashed. This was on the 9th of November. I knew it wasn't because I had the check in my hand.

Here we are over 10 business days later, 36 reps/managers later and no help. I have exhausted all avenues. I am going to submit to arbitration and sue this company to get my money back. I will continue to fight as this is clearly wrong. Every day I speak to them, it gives me a migraine. I call and call and get more and more furious. I looked up some company, Consumer Fraud Services and I think they are a scam but, it seemed like there was hope.

They would not take the case because of so many issues with AMEX. If you are reading this, DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. They sell you a dream but, it's not. It is convenient, but not worth the migraine. Yep, I will continue to fight. All of those who are affected by anything that this company has done, CONTINUE TO FIGHT! Thanks for listening.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I requested a stop payment and a refund on the 9th of this month and they told me first in two business days. I checked and after the two business days and I did not receive a refund. I called they told me within 10 business days and it was Friday and nothing yet. Now they tell me that it takes 45 days. My rent is late and my landlord has not received anything either and every time I call they are unhelpful and RUDE. I can't wait to close my account with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I paid my rent using Bill Pay on October 29, 2018. By November 11, 2018 my landlord had still not received it and began legal action. I’ve been calling customer service for 3 weeks disputing and it’s still under investigation after being told it would be credited to my account within 10 days. My rent is now a month late.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Over the past 12 months, I've placed over 12 orders with AMEX. Each order was delivered quickly, safely, securely packaged and delivered to my home address. I did have one concern when my last order was substituted for by another of equal value.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I've had this card for a few years. I've had a hiccup here or there but nothing major until now. I pre-ordered something online for an Xmas gift. Its release date got pushed back so I canceled. I called to see how long the $316 would take to refund. The Amex rep informed me 8 days. I found it odd because I work retail and in my experience it's 5-7 days or 7-10 days. I wait my 8 days and nothing. I'm told that it should refund tomorrow. I wait until the next day and boom my account it debited $316 dollars. I call in and I'm told that there is a refund on process. It should rectify itself today. I wait a few more hours and then check again... ANOTHER $316 is taken from my account. Now it's overdrawn several hundred dollars.

I immediately call back to so WTH is going on. I'm told to contact the merchant. I say, "It's a prepaid card. How can it be overdrawn SMH." I speak with a supervisor and again am told to contact the merchant. Why? I call Walmart up and they say, "Nope we issued a refund once and can't help you with additional refunds on products you never placed an order for." At this point it's late so I decide to call back Amex the following morning. I call again and then I'm told they're having system issues please call back tomorrow. This is beyond frustrating and infuriating at this point.

So I call today and I'm told by Amex that I need to file a dispute. I say that's what I thought I did a week ago to report the initial $632 from my account. I'm told I did not file a formal dispute. Wtf! I do so with the agent at that time. The agent tells me it can take up to 90 days for a resolution. 90 days! I changed my direct deposit to my traditional bank account but hopefully it was in time otherwise there goes 1 of 2 of my last paychecks before Xmas to cover a negative balance I didn't incur. Definitely will not be doing business with them moving forward. I've even referred a people to this card. Not anymore. I'll be letting everyone know my horrid experience. What's sad is that upon researching I'm not the only one this is happening too. How is this legal?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Updated on 11/15/2018: I wrote my first review about my negative balance and my transactions being put on hold for merchant review. Called American Express for some answers that I didn’t understand the first time. I talked to them along wait period again. This time the person told me that it was because Walmart was having issues and they are in the process of returning my money in the amount of 31.00. On my transactions it shows completed but it doesn’t show in my balance. The representative I spoke to said it should be on my account on November 19th and she told me the same thing as the first representative that the negative balance will come off when the money is returned.

I checked my balance approximately 30-45 minutes after speaking with the second representative and now under my transactions it doesn’t show the transactions on hold for merchant review but the money that the representative said is being returned to my account is not there. This just seems weird to me that at first the negative balance wouldn’t be removed till the money was returned but now the negative is gone but no money.

Original Review: I have had American Express Serve for a while and had no problems till here in the past month or so. The first one was I got an email saying I had a transaction returned for not having the money. This is a prepaid card. You can’t spend money that is not on the card. The second was I looked on the app. It showed I had a negative balance of $20.01. I looked at my transactions. It showed that one transaction for 10.02 was on hold for merchant review then I had one for $11.02 on hold for merchant review so called American Express. Set on hold for 40 min only to be told that the money is being refunded to my account so the negative balance will stay there till the money is returned in my account. Didn’t really understand that then I had a transaction for .10. The person on the phone couldn’t tell me what the .10 was for. If you get or have this card make sure you have the app and check it daily.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am so frustrated. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this issue before; My card was compromised while I was out of town and the scammers were able to withdraw money from an ATM last month. I filled for fraud and reported the issue to Amex Serve as soon I realized my money was gone. I have never ever had any issues and I’ve had the account since 2015. It’s under investigation which I’m feeling hopeless about - due to all the bad reviews on Consumer Report. I had my card on hand, was never lost, and while I was on the phone with Amex Serve they told me that whoever got my card info was trying to get more money. It was blocked already and canceled the card. I never had an issue but if I knew this was going to happen and it’s taking so long to get my $600 back; I would’ve never set up my direct deposit through Amex Serve. It’s so frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I made an online purchase at Footlocker for shoes $230 approx. The clerk said the shoes would come from one of their stores anywhere in the US. A week later I find out the shoe was no longer available. So I had the store process a refund. About 3 days later I see the credit on my account but it was then put “On Hold for Merchant Review”. I contacted AMEX who indicated that they have to review the refund for my safety. A week later my funds are still on hold. I contacted the rep on yesterday who blamed to HOLD on Footlocker. TWO different stories and was told funds would be released on November 15th. I have contacted PPL and if the funds aren’t there then I will proceed with LEGAL action. I have NEVER returned anything using my AMEX card but this is beyond ACCEPTABLE. It’s funny that I’ve had returns processed with Visa/MasterCard and NO PROBLEMS...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

There is ZERO customer service for anyone holding an Amex Serve card. Serve ran my charges twice and had my PREPAID CARD overdrawn & took 48 to return my $$. Now they are having system issues AGAIN and I cannot get my direct deposit. WORST PREPAID CARD EVER!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

On August 24, 2017 American Express and INCOMM entered into an agreement for INCOMM to acquire the exclusive distribution rights of American Express's prepaid reloadable and gift card products in the U.S. INCOMM will become the exclusive program manager and processor, and American Express will remain the issuer and network for all products involved in all transaction. INCOMM will also acquire the Serve technology platform and other assets related to the American Express prepaid reloadable and gift card products business.

It appears since the joint venture was announce, Serve Card customers like myself notice a consistent pattern by both companies denying CUSTOMERS access to our liquid cash deposited into our accounts via CVS Pharmacy, Walmart and other add cash to the card locations as outlined in the American Express Serve Card Terms of use agreement.

For example, I once re-loaded the Card with $500.00 a day prior to used it at retail outlet just to pay for a mere $15.62 purchase, once the card is swiped, the merchant tells me the transaction did not go thru or has been denied, requesting alternative method of payment or cash for the merchandise. Subsequent to Log on the American Express Serve Card website, I discover the entire $500.00 is now on hold by the merchant, therefore denying me the use of my money while no option to imitate an online dispute is not avail.

I proceed to call the customer service number at the back of the card (800) 954-0559, The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) only provides automation information lacking any options to speak to live person. Using some social engineering I was able to come up with a direct number of (800) 555-4318, resulting in being transferred repeatedly to several live persons located off-shore outside the United States. The Customer Service Representatives (CSR) are generally rude, speak with a foreign accent, informing me, to wait six days for the moneys on hold to be place back on my card account.

After waiting six days and noticed no funds have been credit to my account, I call back the same number and being told by very impolite and unprofessional CSRs, American Express Serve Card will being a dispute and I must wait an additional twenty (20) more days for the process to complete according to the Terms of Use that I agreed upon when the account was open. 20 days comes and goes, and contact is made again with American Express Serve Card to no avail. And no refund of my money.

If you are a victim to this scam by both companies, call or write a letter to the office of the Controller of Currency (OCC) Customer Assistance Group (800) 613-6743 Comptroller of the Currency, Customer Assistance Group, 1301 McKinney Street Suite 3450. Houston, TX 77010. You can also file a complaint with Federal Trade commission (FTC) online at (**) or call (202) 326-2222 or write to: Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission 600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, DC 20580.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

This company has stolen my money and did it in accordance to their policy. This is a class action policy situation. I was out of town and got a text telling me I opted out of text alerts. I thought that’s weird so I checked my quick balance on my phone and it said 725.00. I had over 2000.00 in the account. I immediately went to my laptop to log into my account it started to let me in and then booted me right out and when I tried again it said incorrect password/username. I called in a panic and kept going in circles on the recording and couldn't get a live operator.

Finally I was able to choose lost or stolen credit card with an automated message transfer saying this department only could take information from me and they didn't have acct info or something close to that but I went ahead and even though it disclosed that it only confused my mind because the lady was able to put a hold on my funds not used yet as it looked to me this whole thing was currently happening to me at that minute. So long story as short as possible nothing like this had ever happened to me and I couldn't understand or makes sense of it which I conveyed to the lady I was worried about the money that I had still in the account and she told me their system was down and until I could receive an email to reset my password she wasn't able to do anything for me and this was based on AE's system. But I felt relief that at least the account was frozen for that time.

Approx an hour later I got the reset passwords emails she had tried to send me and saw the charges that were made on my account that all came at once to my email. It was money transferred to someone else’s Serve card. A total of 3. I expressed strongly too as it turns out the exact same lady when I called back which I thought was weird and so was her telling me she was the same lady. Just weird conversation. I was afraid to continue to use the account outright because I didn't know how this happened to me.

I had just had lunch and paid with the card so I looked to the restaurant as part of it but it was a money transfer not the same type of charge. The lady helped me to transfer the remaining balance to my brother's Serve and then was going to send a new card which in whole would secure my account. I explained that that is what I already had a card with my email and yet it was breached. I wasn't trusting that it wouldn't happen again. She said not to worry. I would get my money back and since we closed that account or at least changed the card number it would be secure etc. Meanwhile the money was transferred to my brother’s Serve account.

In addition to all of this conversation I explained to the lady this has never happened to me and personally swore if it did then I would do everything in my power to press full charges to the fullest extent of the law to the person and it was really important that they not just correct the problem but I wanted the information to follow thru with for criminal charges. She was irritated having to hear this extra part of how I felt and said, "We will investigate" and if we have any questions the investigator would call me back and then the phone went dead. When I got back home 5 days later my new card was at my house and I had to call to access it. I made them change my email address and told the person who by the way I had to go through lost or stolen card option to even get that live person what had happened and asked him if there was any update or if I could help in any way he snapped at me and said we are still under our 10 day period.

I still don't know why that would have been an irritating question but could be a bad day for him. The following day my brother transferred the money back over to my new Serve account and then I guess at the 10 day mark, today, they emailed me saying that these were authorized charges and they denied my dispute. I went to log into my account and it said wrong password no matter what I did and then when I called them they had prerecorded for my phone number that my account had been suspended and permanently closed and an emailed explanation would be waiting for me. It wasn't so I tried again and same thing. The line just disconnects. Even when I would block my number same thing. No mention of my money at all. This is a balance at around 2300.00 including the fraudulent charges.

As the day unfolded my brother’s account was suspended also with 2100 in it. Same thing happened when he called. I think because he was associated with my account. I can’t say for sure on his or mine. So I had to try every side angle to use another phone and get a live person and was transferred all over to finally talk to "Jake id ** acct protection phone #800-555-4318" who was in a party that I had to ask if he was working at an office because I could hear kids and people laughing and celebrating making it hard to hear him. He finally said yes it was awards and appreciation day and that was what I could hear. I told him that it was unprofessional and a lot of other questions and statements but no matter what I got the same answer that I had to write a letter and that at this point I couldn't challenge the dispute because I was no longer able to use any service from them. And again to write them about the denied claim and being suspended.

I am against this sort of crime. I hear about it happening all the time and it gets swept under the rug. This company is part of the problem as they are indirectly endorsing fraud. Not only do I not get my stolen money back but they have made it almost impossible for me to get the information to at least give to the police to ignore this crime at which time I would like to have done everything in my power to resolve. So not only have they not protected me they have made it difficult to protect myself or at least move forward.

REGARDING THIS BEING THEIR POLICY: Does it make sense to close an account and not mention the money and block your telephone number from reaching them? I can’t understand how I knowingly would sign up for this. I should have trusted my instinct on not transferring my money back into the account because that is not just a random hacker but then the company stealing from me. I don’t know what to do but write them which is next but the way this guy was talking it didn't sound promising. I wish I could press charges on them since I 100% know that it was them that robbed the rest of my money and it stands to question that their system was down when this initially happened to me and seems up for question. The disputed funds is one thing but then suspending the account and not sending me the balance of the account doesn’t make any sense. This company needs a class action suit.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I got a Serve card when my granddaughter left for college so she could have ready access to funds and I could make sure she did by monitoring and adding dollars when she was running low. Until this week, it has worked seamlessly - I would transfer from my AMEX card directly to the Serve card and to her subaccount. However, this week the money showed as being transferred to Serve, but was not reflected in my available balance. In the past, if I had a problem or question I could talk to a live person at the 24/7 customer service number. Now there is no longer an option to speak with someone. What to do?

She needed money and I tried to transfer, but no way to get it resolved. This should be against the law, actually, to not have a way to contact someone who has a business (like AMEX) that involves your money. I got the card because of AMEX reputation and excellent customer service. Serve is a subsidiary of AMEX...but certainly not a good representative of their brand.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

By far the worst customer service I have ever received. Returned something to Target. They hold my money FOR 7 BUSINESS DAYS. IT IS UNDER REVIEW? NOBODY EVEN LOOKS AT IT... Can't stand dealing with these people.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I recently returned a book from Audible which they processed immediately and sent to American Express. It showed up on my card the next day with a secondary notice putting it on hold. When I asked their customer service about it I was told that they were still waiting on the transfer and gave Audible seven days to process it. I emailed Audible and they responded immediately that they had sent it and it was up to American Express to process it.

I called American Express a second time and was told that they received the transmission two days later than Audible said they sent it and that it was up to Audible to make sure they send everything in a timely manner. Merchant Holds seems to be something that American Express uses arbitrarily and when they do they're incapable of helping their customers other than to try and waylay blame. After years of using this service I'll be going with someone else as soon as all of my transactions clear. I would not recommend this product to anyone as their customer service has degenerated over the years to the point of being completely useless.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My husband has the main card and I have a subaccount card. He had a positive balance last night before his direct deposit. His direct deposit hit and I transferred most of the money onto my card to pay the bills. Leaving him a positive balance still. About 5 minutes after transferring the money I get an email saying he is overdrawn by 1,000. HOW THE HELL can that be? I woke him up, he called customer service. Well "sir it's because you transferred money out of your main account." Well it's a glitch in our system it will be fixed in 4-6 hrs (this was 10p CT). I just checked at 1p and guess what? Still not fixed. He called this morning at 830a and was told well our system has to update before it can be fixed?? Ummm WTH?? When does the system update?? Who knows!! I have been doing this every week and we have had the cards for close to 4 yrs. WHY NOW?? I opened up a local credit union account today!! :)

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I originally received a card after tax time. Keep in mind I still had cards from last year... I've been loading funds in them for 2 years - suddenly I get new cards in the mail. My funds have disappeared and when I'm called to report one lost this morning the fraud dept tells me to call back because I have all the wrong information on my acct so should hung up on me. Someone has charged hundreds of dollars and made withdrawals from the ATM but she won't tell me anything about my own cards and funds. I told the fraud dept I am a victim of identity theft thanks to the social security dept making all of our info out to strangers. I'm contacting the BBB & reporting them & will be contacting corp.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Since 2014 I have never had an issue with receiving my paychecks on time until yesterday. My paycheck normally hits my card between 11:30 pm and 12 a.m. It's day two. Still no money. It's the first of the month. I have rent due, car insurance to a car note due and many many others. I called the company. They said, "Get a verification number or transaction number from employer and will do what we can to track it." And she kept asking me when is regular payday like I kept telling her today like 3 time already. "Well ma'am don't get upset," and it's like don't get upset. This is my money you're talking about But none of this is going to keep my car insurance from lapping or keep my car from being repossessed.

Are you kidding me? We trust you to handle our hard earned money and get our money on time. Two days faster than the average bank account WHATEVER but to be honest with you it's time for me to switch to a traditional bank account. It only takes one time for me. During tax time 2018 tax year they did this crap where our cards was inaccessible for up to 5 days. I wasn't too mad about because I had received the tax anticipation loan so I had money in pocket. Thank God for that but when it comes to my regular paycheck I'm not doing this with my regular paycheck. I'm done.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

As an American Express card holder since 1982 in excellent standing... they have now... after 5 months and me having to report them to the Consumer Protective Division of the Government... they write a letter stating that they have now concluded their investigation and will credit me back the fraud unapproved charges BUT they DO NOT. THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR OWN LETTER AND THEIR OWN INVESTIGATION. I exhaustingly spoke with more than 60 people at Amex this week and not one person can find the letter!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

After 2 hours on phone, which includes the manager hanging up on me. I got nowhere. Their error by not cancelling my previous card and receiving my state in property tax refund on new card in Aug and Sept just fine, my final return went to old card, that was still active. Huh?! Now I have to wait 3-4 days and pay 20 for my 3rd card. Why? They wired it to me once before. But just kept up with the scripted bs. I was beyond furious. I'm not 2nd class because my credit is poor, but that's how I feel I was treated.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Would absolutely not be referring anyone to use this card! Never in my life have had such a big ** headache! Then here’s the kicker... All of the CSR are non English speaking people! Hate them with a deep passion!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

This is terrible. My direct deposit has always come in the 1 o’clock hour since I have had this card. It has not shown up at all. I filed a complaint with the OOC helpmewithmybank.gov! American Express National Bank is not supervised by the FDIC. But everyone affected please file a complaint at www.helpmewithmybank.gov.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This is a bunch of who do you think you are?, with no concerns for the people who trusted, you with their money who lives also depends on the BANK that keeps our Money. LIKE it's theirs Nooo lawsuit.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg