3.9/5 (577 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I went to a Walgreen store to reload my card. Went through the process also paying with cash waiting for funds to reload onto my card, however it never reloaded to my card. Customer service said, "Go back to the store" however Walgreen said they had nothing to do with it. So I call A.E Serve again. Now they tell me 14 days to investigate. I need my money. Signed Stranded.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

I have been using Amex Serve for almost 10 years. I have repeatedly ignored people's rants about losing money that never gets returned for about 10 years as well, but I never had an issue. on 12/23/22 I stayed at a hotel for 2 nights and the total was approx $175. There was 2 holds placed on my account on that date totaling $200 which more than covered the cost of the stay. The hotel and I have a good standing relationship and they assured me that they did everything routine as normal. So Amex Serve waits until 12/27 at 1 AM to overdraft my account and process the $175 as a separate transaction leaving me with -$71 , which isnt even supposed to happen because it's prepaid. So that took the money I had given my dad for Christmas from his subaccount and they deleted one of the $99 holds all together. It has just vanished and then they wanna give me the business about the other saying to contact the hotel.

That money was my living money for the month. I'm on SSI. They don't care. I missed my dentist appointment today because I don't have the gas and my outlaw biker brother doing life in Walla Walla is expecting a package and now he's burnt. Don't trust these fools. Look at it like this: they don't care enough to fix a problem should one arise, and one will eventually. Learn from this and cancel this before you end up in the same position.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Amex Serve is a terrible company and all they do is lie to customers. My issue started when I had 2 charges that were an error that I had to dispute. I filed the dispute. Uploaded the signed dispute forms and receipts. Next on the 8th business day they send an email stating they needed more time to investigate. They issued no credit. I called because the cardholder agreement clearly said that if there's a dispute due to an error and they needed more than 10 business days that "We will credit the amount you believe is in error while we complete the investigation." However they failed to do so. When I spoke to a suppose manager in the disputes dept she just kept reading a script off her computer and said no credit will be issued.

When I told her what the cardholder agreement said she basically called me a liar and just read the script again. So stay away from this company. I have filed complaints with the government agencies that is over the compliance of American express travel related services. Just avoid this company. They lie, treat you bad and don't even follow their own rules they wrote. But expect you to follow all their rules. Terrible.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I recently purchased and loaded this card at Walmart. No problems with the first few transactions. Then I went to order pizza and the purchase was declined (my error as I entered the wrong zip code) however a hold was still put on the card for the amount of my order, $110.93. I called customer service and was told the hold would be lifted in 5-8 business days which is ridiculous - why is there a hold when invalid information was entered in the first place? The rep also suggested I register the card in case I need to dispute any charges - ok, makes sense.

I still need food so I place my order again, this time entering the correct zip code, order goes thru no problem, delivery received, all is fine with the world. I attempt to register my card and am repeatedly denied. Call CS back and was told I must be entering something wrong to which I responded that is doubtful since the information I was registering with is the same information entered on the phone to get my balance and customer service, then she says register from a computer and not a phone, still denied.

Days later I check my balance again and the hold and has now POSTED as a completed transaction and AMEX is refusing to review and correct it. This is **! I have called the merchant and am disputing it with them but it doesn't look promising so for now I'm out $200 for ** pizza and am just supposed to suck it up??? I don't think so! These cards are TRASH and so is American Express as a company. Transactions like this and registration denials are a reoccurring issue with these cards and something needs to be done to shut them tf down. If neither the pizza merchant nor AMEX doesn't correct this asap I will be pursuing legal action.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I got the Serve American Express prepaid debit card to save me a little money in bank fees for when I need to pull money out from Thailand. But it will not let me on the computer website or the app site since I am here. I called them and they said I can do everything by phone. Also I think the call center's from another country. When she was talking to me I can hear chickens in the background. That takes such a long time that this is a terrible card to use if you cannot get on to their website and check things out and transfer money. It is useless to me 'cause it will take so much time to always call them and do things. They should have a secure website to go to. It must show that they could be a cheap company and don't have good firewalls. I will be pulling my money out and cancelling my cards. Please read other reviews on other websites. This is not the card to use in my opinion. I usually read reviews. One time I didn't and this is what I've had to go through. Read reviews please.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I went on vacation and used the card. The hotel and rental car put holds on my card. But when I checked out and returned the car both places told me the hold would be only 15 days. Now they tell me it's 30 days. That is totally ridiculous. I need my money now.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Was away from home. In the evening needed to pay a bill promptly. Only had cash on me, picked this card up because it said no activation needed, use immediately. Not only did you need to activate and register you need to add all your personal info, SSN, DOB, etc. It took 4 hours w/ customer service to activate because their system was wonky then they couldn’t activate it for another 3 hours for “full authorization.” Absolutely absurd, strange, scammy experience.

Original review: July 21, 2022

They stole my refund money. They keep telling me that the money will be back on card. It's been 30 days. They are a scam. Don't use Serve card. Their customer service representatives tell you different lies every chance they get

Original review: July 1, 2022

Do not get a Serve card! I did my taxes. TaxAct deposited my refund on the serve card. They sent me a temp card. Wanted me to register it online. I did that. I called the automated system kept telling me to register online. So I ordered another card since that one wasn't working. I even pain 30 more dollars to have it delivered thru FedEx, FedEx delivered it to the wrong address smh. Called back to get yet another card issued. She sends me a link which I filled out. 2 months later I'm still waiting on that card. Customer service is null and void. I finally had to file a complaint. Don't get this card.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I requested a refund. Was told it was take 3-5 business days. 5th day I call Serve because I see it says completed and I see it's been put on hold. They tell me it's on a merchant's hold and they can hold it for 7 calendar days. I call the merchant. They say that's **. They don't have it on hold. Everything was completed. Even gave me a transaction number to lookup and verify it... I call Serve back. Try to give them the transaction number. They refuse it and they tell me they're sorry, nothing they can do, all I can do is wait, that they are not keeping my money from me the merchant is.... Bull. The merchant was trying to help. Even have been emailing me numbers to call with Federal Reserve Board etc.. To help me get my money.... Serve is a scam and they make up their own policies to fit them.

American Express Serve author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Serve Company Information