1.10/5

201 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

One word Bullcrap. Got to go through too much with this. Company is a ripoff. Take too much of your money. Take your money right off your card but take very long links of time to give your money back. Got to go through this person that person. Then when you get mad about your money they hang up in your face... Never get this card.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I found fraudulent charges on my account 1 day after transactions were made. My card compromised and somehow used in North Carolina for gas purchases totaling $997 when I reside in New Jersey and have my card in my possession. Countless calls to American Express Serve customer service department which is only answered by reps out of the country and have no idea on US laws. I have so far had a rep say you made a purchase at this same company in April in VA (for a trip that I made in April but not for gas). As well as another actually ask me if I still had a subscription for the service. Thinking it was a cell phone company since the charges came back as ExxonMobil.

They tell you the same thing over and over. I was optimistic that it would be resolved in 10 business days now to be told that I call every day and it won't change the answer. I don't need a company to tell me how many times I call. I want to be reassured that the company I put my trust in to handle my finances and receive my paycheck is doing everything they can to help me since they didn't protect my account by catching 6 charges for gas at 2 separate gas stations. Considering the 1 time I have ever swiped my card in a pump there was a $100 hold of funds on my account. I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone used my card # 6 times for transactions over $100 each and Amex Serve didn't catch it. Whatever you do don't ever think they have your financial well being in mind.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I only had this card for a couple months and had a little over $500 on it when they told me I had done something that violated their terms... They then told me my account was under investigation and would take 7-10 days. I called them several times, and could never speak to a supervisor (they told me they don't talk on the phone!). To make a long story short, after several attempts to resolve the issue, I gave up...just checked my account and there is now $0 in my account!!! I want to start a class action lawsuit but need all your help, these guys are criminals!!! I can't believe they are getting away with this!! Somehow we have to come together to get these guys.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have a Fraud Case, on 4 fraudulent charges made on my Amex Serve card all from another state where I do not reside. I opened the case with Amex Serve around 7/30/18. I was advised by the Fraud Department that I had to complete a Fraud Form before they would start investigating. A couple of days passed and I didn't receive the form. Once I complained about not receiving the form they emailed me the form. I did receive the emailed form the same day it was sent the 2nd time and returned it the same day. About a week or so later when I called for status I was advised by the Fraud Department that because I did not send it back within "10 business days" I would have to wait the full 45 days for the dispute.

I am already VERY ANGRY that AMEX SERVE was not proactive enough to catch the charges, but now they are giving me the run around in refunding the $160 fraud amount. As of 9/10/18 I am still waiting for my refund. This is a VERY POOR EXAMPLE of a bank and it essentially like they are robbing me of my funds, especially when they know it’s a fraud case and they are treating me like I am guilty. Also AMEX SERVE asked very illegal questions on their fraud form. They asked if I knew who took the money off of my card and if I do know, what is their address, name and "Social Security Number".

It is also alarming that when calling AMEX SERVE there is NOT 1 AMERICAN SPEAKING PERSON working there that I have ever spoken with. When you call to complain to them you are just complaining to another one of them about them, so they really do NOTHING. I am DISGUSTED with the lack of customer service AMEX SERVE has provided and I am very surprised American Express has allowed such a disgusting company use their name. I also plan to file a complaint on the Better Business Bureau and anywhere else I can give my negative review of this company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I use this card sometimes if I need to put money on it to order something I don't have in stock for a customer. It's free to load. This is the only card that I have ever owned that will allow a transaction to process and wind up on hold if you accidentally input the wrong zip code. I'm not someone that runs off of prepaid card for everything. Citizens Bank doesn't, Capital One doesn't, my local bank doesn't, Credit One Bank doesn't, none of my other prepaid cards do, and to my knowledge no other card does allow a transaction to process with the wrong zip code. American Express Serve will though, and guess what? The funds will wind up on hold just like all the other reviews say. Try it!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I requested 200 bucks from an ATM owned by Cash Depot. Well, the machine was apparently out of cash so the money didn't dispense. I got a receipt that said I got 60 of the 200 requested. (I didn't receive anything)... My transactions show that the ATM gave back 140 to my account but shows no trace of the 60 being withdrawn, but my balance showed that it had been taken. I filed a dispute, uploaded the proper documents to support my case, and after almost a month, I got an email stating that I am not owed any money. (Because the rep took my info down wrong and said that I was disputing the 200 that I requested instead of the 60 that I was actually missing)... WTH... So I opened the dispute again...

On 8/28 I got an email stating that my account has been credited the 60 buck that I'm owed... Well the money WAS NOT ON There. I called. Rep said it will be on there DEFINITELY that same day... NOTHING. 8/29 I called back... Rep said that she doesn't see anything on her side about me being credited anything, so I DEMANDED A MANAGER. Manager, after 20 minutes on hold, assured me that the funds will be on the card that day... FOR SURE. WELL... IT'S 8/30... no funds.

Called and spoke to manager, they said they will send a "request" for my funds and it can take up to 5 business days to hit my account. Do you really think I'm going to believe a word they tell me at this point??? Luckily for me, I work for a Major Law firm and if this matter isn't resolved in FIVE BUSINESS DAYS, I will be having my attorneys step in... and I DEFINITELY have a case. It's not the money, it's the principle... and I work too hard to be fighting so long to get MYYY MONEEEYYY...

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I went to a ATM that does not charge me to use it. The ATM declined my card. I thought it was just a problem with the ATM, so I went to a different ATM. It did the same thing. Said declined to contact American Express. Once I got home I looked at my account and noticed a $2.50 charge from the first ATM, which did not give me money back! Yet I was still charged! Then the second ATM showed a $4 fee and $40 withdrawn. Neither ATM gave me money. I called American Express and did a dispute. After about 20 days they told me that they have proof that I received my money, which is a total lie! I have a transaction report from the bank's ATM that I tried to use that shows their ATM declined my card! Have talked to 30 people at American Express. I am currently in the process of contacting a lawyer. I could care less about my $44. What I care most about is how many other people they have and are doing this to.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

On 08/24/18 I went to ATM at 2:00pm to withdraw funds. The ATM read unauthorized user, I was confused so I called AMEXserve told me the system was updating wait two hours. After the wait it showed my funds withdrawn. I called they put in a dispute. Needless to say I still have not received my funds back. I was told by a supervisor the same happened to her then called on Saturday 08/25. They state that the system update did not have anything to do with ATM withdraws and talked to me like I was crazy or I was just making the whole thing up after a MNGR told me the same happened to her.

I bet her money was put back but now I am left to wait on a dispute that I had to file due to their system update. American Express Serve stole my money. I went to work on Monday morning and canceled my DD and all the people at my job I advised them to cancel as well. They hit me where it hurts and I will do them the same way. Pending I will add an update once this is complete.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

On August 1st I had gone to an ATM and it kept my 100.00. So the next day I call and make the dispute and now here I am. Now 15 calls later and they're telling me they closed my case because I didn't upload any documentation when I did TWICE and they refuse to give my money to me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I opened a Serve account so that I can help my children when they are in need. As a single parent and the ONLY person they have to rely on I thought this would be a good alternative. Though the transaction to deposit money from your outside checking account to the Serve account is instant getting the big problem doesn't exist there, it's the disbursement of funds, lack of customer service and communication that is the downfall of this card supported by American Express. I tried to get a replacement card for a sub account, paid extra to get the card sent to me before I left the country, was on the phone over an hour and 4 phone calls only to get a replacement card but in my name and not my sub account (daughter).

Now I have no use for this card, the company or their lack of integrity to hire people who can actually resolve a situation, of which we call "customer service". AND to make matters worse, they will NOT reimburse my fee to expedite shipping. We should all be wary of a company that easily gets access to your funds yet is difficult to reach (15 minute holds) and then offer no resolve to a very delicate situation but a nice "sorry". I hope when my daughter is on the streets with no food or resources that those who run this company, represent this company and work for this company think a moment about what they can do differently to be better. Disappointed!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I received an email stating my card was queue for deactivation and needed to follow a link. I called customer service to ask if they sent it. The representative after confirming my info and instead of listening to my concern he was redirecting the attention to something else. I repeatedly ask him about the email reliability because I receive my SSI direct deposit to that account. I was upset with his horrible customer service skills. After a while he confirmed this email was send by them and dropped the call. How can he hang up on my face like that and took me hours to get in touch with them? I asked myself!

I login into my email trusting this email from them was reliable as this representative just told me and click on the link. It was directed to American Express Website, it was asking to reactivate my card and input all my card information. I followed and gave all info needed, at the end the message, "Congratulations your card is ready to use!" I was relief. The following morning a text message I received about a transfer I did... I was confused... I never did any. Login into American Express account and my eyes pop out! What? My money was transferred and only left me with .97 cents.

It has been horrible trying to get my money back. The same happened to me as the others in this review, they denied my dispute by writing back it was authorized follow by closing my account. What can I do to file and join those that are filling a law sue against this company? Enclosed is the screenshot pic of the fraudulent link sent by them to take your money. I am suspicious they have criminals inside taking innocent people's money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Customer service is absolutely horrible!!! I've had duplicate charges on my account on NUMEROUS occasions and have called about it repeatedly. They have acknowledged that the charges are duplicated and the "second order was cancelled" but refuse to remove the pending charges. One non-English speaking says it takes 5-7 to remove, the next non-English speaker says 2-8 days...they are an absolute scam and a complete joke. Have filed a class action suit and hope many of you will do the same! These people are ridiculous!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Like everyone else, I had 325.00 in erroneous charges that I believe is American Express themselves and no one else. I have tried contacting the business who supposedly took my money and they have no record of it. Customer service is a joke, these people cannot even speak English and most of the time they hang up on me. I've reported them to the BBB, once I get my refund, I'm getting as far away from them as I possibly can.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

On July 31st major fraud in the form of a charge of 930 dollars was posted to my account in Florida. I received a text from Amex Serve asking did I make the charge. I responded with a no. After checking my account and finding that there was the money missing I contacted the fraud department. I performed all of the steps necessary and then waited. I just received a email message informing me that the charge was valid and my dispute was denied. In addition to this they suspended my account permanently!!! I did nothing wrong and they deny my dispute and suspend my account permanently!

Original review: July 24, 2018

Money was taken off my card after I was told I was at my limit and could only do a Wal-Mart RIO transfer. 8 transactions for 82 dollars! Why the hell would I stand at an ATM and take out 80 dollars 8 times. I disputed this and was told I would need to fill out the dispute form. I got it and before I could send it back, I got an email stating my account was closed. No one could explain why. No one can explain what will happen with the dispute, I can't send the form. I'm out of over 600+ dollars. They need to be shut down and I will find out how to start a class action lawsuit against them!

Original review: July 23, 2018

On July 6, 2018 I used one of the surcharge free ATMs for the Serve card (Atlanta Postal Credit Union) to be exact to withdraw $740. The ATM did not dispense the money but Serve took it out of my account as though it did. I immediately called them to let them know what happened. They told me that I would get an email from them in 1-2 business day on what steps to take regarding the dispute. I called back on 7-9 to check on my dispute and I was told to wait until I received the email. I received the email with the form to file my dispute on that Wednesday and sent it back completed along with the ATM receipt. I called back the next day to confirm that the documents had been received. The rep told me that they had received them and that the next update wouldn't be until 7/20.

On 7/19 I received an email from AMEX Serve stating that they had completed the investigation and that they found had decided not to issue a credit to my account. I was livid and immediately contacted them and asked them to send me the documentation received from the merchant (APCU) showing that I had received the money from the ATM. Mind you all ATMs have cameras and I am sure that they didn't ask for the videotape because if they had they would have been able to see that the door to the ATM dispensary NEVER OPENED but it issued a receipt as though it did. I reopened my dispute and am now awaiting a response from them. I asked the rep to have their team pull the videotape and show me where it shows me receiving the money. If they don't resolve this issue in a timely manner I will be filing a lawsuit and they will pay way more than I lost.

Original review: July 19, 2018

On July 16th 2018 I was issued a refund on my card which was on my card later that evening, American Express Serve intercepted and put my funds on hold for some type of review for an additional 7 days. I spoke with several supervisors after being told they had verified everything with the merchant. I called their corporate offices in Salt Lake City and New York, and was told that an expedited claim Specialist would contact me in 24 hours, still no call back. I’m confused about them placing my money on hold from me. There needs to be some type of lawsuits filed. Also I put money on my card and after paying my bill I was notified that I needed to add money to my card because they charged me the same amount I added as if I had made a purchase. Terrible card. Wouldn’t recommend it!

Original review: July 14, 2018

On July 6th I received an email from Bluebird stating I had transferred money to someone I didn't know. I immediately contacted customer service only to be told I couldn't have any information on my account because I am a family account and they needed to speak to my husband the main account holder. Well after 11 hours of getting hung up on we finally got someone who was willing to help us. I was told someone was hacking my account and taking it over. We filed a fraud claim and was told 3-5 business days we would be contacted back with the results.

Well on Monday July 9th I received an email stating that my claim was denied and that the transaction was not an error which is false. IDK who this person was. I called them back again and refiled the claim this time with a police report and I contacted my Attorney General. We are now 5 days past the day we refiled and still nothing. We keep getting told 7-10 business days. I have now been in contact with an attorney to take legal action against this company if they do not return my money. There needs to be a huge lawsuit filed against them! Anyone else feel the same please contact me!

Original review: July 13, 2018

In June 2018 I got an email stating from American Express Serve that my refund was deposited on my card so when I tried to find my card I couldn’t. On June 21st I called to report my card lost and I asked that they please send me a replacement card and If they could expedite it cause I just found out my refund had been deposited and they told me they would for 20$ fee. So I asked them to do that and take the money off the balance of my card. My deposit on June 19th was for over 5000 dollars. That’s when they asked me when was the last time I used my card and I let them know I hadn’t actually used it since the year before got my prior refund for 2017 and that was the last time I used it.

So they said on the 21st of June not to worry that they would do an investigation and then put the credit for all the unauthorized transaction on my new card and that they would do it as soon as I call when I got my new card in 7-10 business days. Just wait for new card and call them immediately when I hit it to make sure it was me that got it before they could out the credit on there. So on June 26th I called back to check the status of everything and at that time the rep told me they hadn’t even started an investigation and there are no notes on my account to do so. So I asked to talk to supervisor to find out why they waited almost a week and still hadn’t started the investigation just to get hung up on after waiting long periods of time for their protection services dept. so then I got a call cause I kept calling back.

So finally a supervisor call me by the name of Mrs ** and told me she was going to reopen the investigation and escalate it and that I would receive some email or another call from her within ten days. Still nothing so I wrote to the corporate office three times and still nothing. Well on the 28th they suspended my account and said I lost all privileges to use my Serve account. That’s why I had to write a letter to them cause customer service and protection services didn’t know and couldn’t tell me why they closed my account and only the investigating team Knows the reason and they don’t even Have a number for them. The only thing I could do now is write to Serve customer relations in Utah so I write three letters. Still no response and still out over five thousand dollars. What can I do. They took my money. At this point it’s the only thing that could have happened so what can I do to get my money back?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I put my son's tax refund on this card in March 2018 and my son passed away March 27th. They put his card on hold until I sent them a copy of death certificate, notarized letter and photo ID's which I mailed on April 30th. They said they got the mail so I faxed everything over 5 times and this has been ongoing for 3 months now. They said they are reviewing documents and the check will be cut in 2 weeks .I did notify BBB and made a case against them for not giving me my son's tax refund. My advice to everyone out there, NEVER EVER trust these people with your money because once the money is put on the card they will not release it!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I used the Bill Pay app to make my car payment on June 28th and now it's just 7th and they never paid Capital One Auto Finance. Now my car payment is late and Amex screwed me. Amex said it was an electronic payment to Capital One... Used this card for 4 years with direct deposit... They failed me and now going to open a legitimate checking account with Bank of America... STAY AWAY FROM AMEX. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have been a Serve customer for years. My paycheck has been directed deposit for at least two years. I had no issue until this past week. First my direct deposit was late. Customer service was useless. When the deposit finally posted l couldn't (and still can't) make cash withdrawals even from an in network ATM. Some purchase attempts have been approved some have been declined. I have made multiple calls and have sat on hold for hours, only to reach customer service reps with heavy accents and zero ability to resolve my issues. Then starting on Sunday July 1st, random duplicate charge holds started showing up. No matter how many times l call l can't get an answer from their useless customer service. With no ATM access l was forced to do an expensive wire transfer to take all of the remaining cash off of my card before they could steal any more of my hard earned money.

I did my own research only to find out that Amex sold all of its prepaid business to a company called InComm at the beginning of 2018. Since then customers have begun to experience issues like mine. So I find out I'm no longer dealing with Amex just some crooks who've paid to use the Amex name and network. I am so pissed off that will be filing a complaint with the FTC, The FDIC and anyone else l have to to get the rest of my money from these thieves. Do not open a Serve or Bluebird account unless you like having your money stolen.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I’ve had Amex serve for about a year and like everything else in life it just takes one bad experience for all of the positive to cancel out. My problem with this card is the ATROCIOUS customer service. These people are most certainly in the Philippines making $2 an hour and barely speak English. Whenever I ask about my direct deposit they give me the run around about how they post them when they are received. It’s a flat out lie since my coworker gets his deposit a full 10 hours before me.

My direct deposits never post at consistent times. Sometimes it’s 8 pm, other times it’s 9 pm. A few times it didn’t post until 4 in the morning, WHY? I don’t like companies playing games with my money. I also don’t feel like my money is in good hands when their customer service reps don’t even know what’s going on with people’s accounts, I will be opening a normal bank account where I can walk in when I have an issue not deal with idiots who are reading a script. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Bluebird American Express scammed money - Saturday I had multiple charges on my account as American Express GNS! The merchant was declined on their end but the money was deducted from my account. I have called 4 times and waits over 2 hours at a time to be put on hold again!! Nothing has been corrected and this morning I receive another change on your account which wiped my account clean and it reflects a negative balance! I am being threaten to close my account if I don't deposit money when they still owe me $51 plus today's transaction of $35!! $86 total American Express and I want my money now not in three to six days! This is a rip off! 6 years I have been a loyal customer!

Original review: July 2, 2018

On Saturday June 30 I was not able to withdraw any of my money. I could not get money from Walmart approved ATM or any other ATM. I called and was told they were doing a system update but I still could purchase items from any store but not access my cash. Today there was a charge for $34.00 where American Express has deducted money for no reason that they can explain. Then tried to say I had used the card this morning for a purchase that’s was just showing as an American Express charge. When in fact I had not used my card at all. I was then told I will have to wait 4 days to see if the money can be refunded. This card (Bluebird American Express Prepaid Card) is a total rip-off. Do not purchase it. Stay far away!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I signed into my account and noticed it said my account has been closed. They gave no reason. Just decided to close my account when I am in the middle of disputing transactions of being ripped off, you would think they would help get your money back since this will help them get their money back. I am willing to help and work with them to get the money back but they are as temperamental as a hippo. They can turn on you in a moment's notice for whatever the heck they want and you can't do nothing about it, so I am still going to try to help them get these disputes settled even though they shut my account up for whatever reason they felt like at the time. Don't get it. Wish I never had this card but I get all my issues resolved one way or the other!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I deposited my money to my account on Friday. A few hours later I received an email that $300 of my money was transferred to someone I don't even know. I immediately called customer service and was transferred to the fraud department. After being placed on hold an endless number of times. I was told that a dispute would be filed. 2 days later I receive an email that says my dispute was denied and another email that said my account was being suspended for violation of the member agreement. I again call the fraud department and was told my only recourse was to write a letter. I said, "How do I access the remaining balance on my card." She said, "Write a letter." I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for 30 minutes. I was told I could request documentation my mail. They refused to give me the name of their manager and then began to read me the email I had received. I am totally frustrated. I am writing my letter now.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I’ve been getting my paycheck deposited for several months now on my Serve card. I can count the number of times I’ve actually received my paycheck two days early on one hand and still have fingers left. The whole point of getting it deposited on the Serve card is so I could get paid early. If it comes two days early I get it Friday afternoon which is fine but I usually don’t get my deposit till 10 pm on Sunday. I am switching to a bank account ASAP!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

While overseas I attempted to use my card, I then received an email stating unusual activity on my account and protection services suspended my account and it's been suspended for three weeks, officially 15 business days on their end. I am unable to access any of my funds, was given a multitude of ridiculous reasons for the lock out. I was told this issue would be resolved in 7-10 business days and it has not. They really don't care if your rent, tuition, bills are late or if you are stuck in a foreign country with no money or way home. Please don't waste your time with this card, I've had this card for nearly 5 years and service has progressively gotten worse.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I ordered merchandise from a company NPCE they never delivered. I haven't received anything. Spoke to American Express Serve, provided proof of email and letter I sent to company and they denied refunding my $800 back even though I proved to them the company is fraudulent and the receipt were doctored up. They still refused to refund even sent letter from the Better Business Bureau trying to get a hold of company and never getting a hold of them. No response. They have all the information of them no replying and they still won't refund my money. If anyone wants to file class action lawsuits against American Express Serve please count me in. They are the worst ever. They shouldn't be allowed to even operate or offer their services and nothing will change until they start to lose money. Their money!!! Please I am on board or point me in the right direction.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg