Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.07/5

331 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I bought this card to pay my cell phone bill. I was out of state and my bank was not local. I added what the cell phone bill would be plus a few extra dollars to assure I could cover bill. Well immediately after buying the card they charge me a 6.95 monthly fee. I already paid 2.95 to buy card. What the heck. And I can't pay for anything online. This card is garbage and they've robbed me of my $. Will not buy again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Worst card ever. Don't get it. Had it for 1 yrs and has given me more problems than a little bit cost you money even if you're getting DD and customer service is horrible. I have been waiting on a refund for 2 weeks now that merchant said was released and they keep telling me it's still on hold due to merchant. This is the 3rd time they have made me wait for my own money.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I used this card to send funds to my kid. The app lock you after 30 days. To reset the password you need the card but I do not have the card on hand because I do not use it. I called customer support. The system ask you for your SS but do not recognize it. Then it ask you for your full card number. If you do not have it they hang up the call. The only way to get customer support is to say you lost your card. Then they answer in Asia and they told me that they cannot unlock the account without the full number. I asked for a manager. Manager unlock the account and my password was working again but he did not knew what he did because he said he cannot do it without the full number. Also he told me that is normal that the phone system to not recognize my SS number. The only perk of this card is that you can add limited funds $200 max from your regular AMEX cards. For the rest is a terrible card and terrible CS.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I received my bi weekly direct deposit at 8pm. Some time after midnight someone hacked my account and sent my entire check over 1200 dollars to 3 different people. I called and all they tell me is it's under investigation. Now my rent is past due and I'm going to lose my apartment and they don't care. I get no answers from them other than they'll call me Which they never do. I'm filling a lawsuit. I can't believe something like this can even happen.

Original review: July 27, 2019

45 days then nothings. I'm talking to 4 different guys some call center. CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH. Telling me under investigation. So tired of this **. AMERICAN Express not Filipino Express. Worst company ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: July 25, 2019

American Express Serve suspended my account 1 day before I was to receive my direct deposit. I asked them why and they told me they can't tell me and told me write a letter. Be warned. Don't do it. Customer service is paramount. I don't have any food left and now me and my family will be hungry. I don't know how long it's going to take to get my check in the mail. I feel so disappointed.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I bought this card two years ago for a disabled friend so that he wouldn't be without cash. It never got that far. I was never able to activate it. Despite repeated requests for assistance from the staff, the card was never made valid. The scam comes from paying upfront, and then finding that i) what you paid for doesn't work, and ii) asking the company for help is useless. After 50 months of American Express taking a dollar from the card, it had a zero balance. I finally got through today... I had to hit 0 a bunch of times and fake out the phone tree... They said "well the dollar payments were valid, but we only take money if you have a positive balance". Translate: we only take your money for this product which has never been functional as long as you have money left to take. I asked them to cancel the card and never bother me again.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been trying to cancel this card for 3 months. Every month they take 13 dollars monthly fees and I am -30 some dollars in hole ONLY CAUSE OF SERVICE FEES that I tried to cancel. If the darn card has been lost as I told them why must they keep adding and adding. Plus I never added a single penny to it again. I refuse to feed them my money.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Having to speak with the Philippines with bad scripts is just awful. Never get results. I specifically asked for someone in the United States...each time, they refused! No one there can help. Amex stole refund check. My card got lost. Never activated it. Never used it but they charged fees until there was nothing left. They said loading it to a card ate the fees up. What???? You add super friendly Filipino people to an extremely frustrating call just makes me more mad. The government already takes lot of my money! The refund was small, not thousands, heck not even $100. It's the principle of LEGAL theft!! Horrible horrible horrible!! I will never use Amex or any subsidiary again. No travel, no nothing. If I conducted business like them, I would go bankrupt! I wish your company goes bankrupt. Every tax season, I will share how horrible your cheating business practices are. How many people have you done this to????

Original review: July 12, 2019

First, I would like to state that this is not my first time getting hacked, but the last times were low amounts that I was able to wait for the provisional credit (that took 3 weeks) but this time, It was hundreds of dollars that was stolen from me. I was hacked on June, 28th, 2019. It is now July, 12th, and I have not received a provisional credit. I was told that a decision for me to receive a provisional credit will be made on 7/16, which is absolutely ridiculous. I was also told the investigation will take 45 days, which is fine as long as I have a provisional credit, which I have yet to receive.

The customer service I received was horrendous. Without a card number it is almost impossible to reach a live person (they canceled mine when the charges happened so I had no card number to input).The cards also have no chip, making them more susceptible to hacking. I must have called 27 times in a row and tried every option available (there's two options by the way) and by a burst of luck of their system being down I was transferred to a live agent. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BANK. They will get you with the perk of receiving your paycheck a few days early, but honestly, I'd rather get my paycheck two days later than normal than to ever deal with this again.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg