American Express Serve

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards

Research top Prepaid Debit Cards recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After reporting fraudulent charges for someone using my card, my case was reviewed and my account was suspended despite AE advertising 100% fraud protection. The customer service is someone in far East Asia who sound like they just woke up out of bed and was given a 25 minute crash course in English. I'm beginning to think American Express's own employees are giving out the card numbers and the fraud and corruption is internalized. If you have this card get rid of it and do not give out your personal information to customer service. Ignore this warning at your own peril.

I've had my Serve account for a year now. It's been OK no problems, they lie to you say you can get your money two days early. Lie. So I get paid every other Friday. Well today apparently they are experiencing "high volumes of direct deposit" today so my check is on hold. I'm pretty upset because I sent my refund to this card and now I wish I didn't because I want to cancel this card so bad! You can't even pay things online with AMEX. It sucks really. Don't get this card! They rip you off, the people rude. And you have to wait until the end of the business day to get paid! When you are supposed to get paid in the morning! Everything will be closed by the time I get paid and it's truly upsetting! If I could give ZERO STARS I would in a heartbeat! AMEX sucks credit or debit wise.

On January 25, 2017, I went to my local Walmart store to withdraw some cash. Instead of getting the amount I requested, I got a receipt. The receipt shows an "error" message and also shows that no money was dispensed. Made a dispute with American Express Serve. Phone call #1, was telling me to expect an email showing my how to go about making my dispute. Another phone call was made on January 30, 2017 to follow up on the email. The rep tells me that an email was sent. When I told him I never got it, he said that they weren't allowed to send out another email because of security reasons and to call back on February 7th. Called again on February 3rd regarding another situation and wanted to check on the email that I still had not received regarding my dispute. This particular rep told me, that they are indeed allowed to send another email out and it would take 24-48 hours before I received it.

3 days later, no email in sight. Called them again on February 6 and this rep. told me everything that I needed to do in order to make my dispute and the fax #. Got to work and faxed my dispute. A few hours later, I get an email saying that my dispute was denied because the money was dispensed. The receipt that I provided them showed that no money was dispensed at all. Every single rep that I spoke with told me verbatim, "we'll temporarily will give you the money back until we're done with our investigation". I find it odd that you conclude a dispute within a few hours when I still haven't received an email with instructions on how to proceed with my dispute.

When I called the ATM company, Pam from Customer Care stated, "American Express would have to contact them in order for someone to go to that particular ATM and get the transcript to see what happened". She even told me that the transaction was an EFT. I'm very disappointed with American Express Serve. Although it's about the $300.00 that I never received, it's also about the principle. I sent letters and the receipt showing proof and they won't budge.

Yes, my tax refund posted early. But watch out!! I spent 10 minutes on hold & then another 15 asking very specific questions about how I withdraw those funds. The rep told me to link my Serve to my checking and after transferring the funds that way, that definitively YES the funds would transfer immediately. As a backup option and for future use, he also told me to take my card to any Walmart and for up to $9 I could withdraw up to $5000. NOPE!!! I linked my checking and it told me to wait 4-5 business days just to verify the test deposit and another 4-5 business days for each transfer. So I drove 20 minutes to Walmart to withdraw the funds that way and they didn't know what I was talking about!! They swiped my card with $3000 on it and the message said the card is not eligible for cash!!

20 minutes later a different rep told me that the first rep was wrong; that I need to get an online code first and to - get this - call AMEX cust support while at Walmart so they can talk to them. (After holding for how long?) They are holding my money hostage. They have wasted hours of my time. And I am accumulating late fees on the payments I need to have made with the funds they are refusing to release. This is 2017!! There is NO excuse for this level of incompetence. DO NOT have your money transferred to this card.

I have been a customer with Amex for a couple years now. I use their Serve Card, it has been very helpful to me, Until as of recently. I will Lay out the issue from start to finish. January 18th, 2017 I was shooting a music Video with (Smokeproductions) and wanted to have some behind the scenes photos, so I requested a photographer (CnyceProductions). I paid them both separately $100, thru PayPal. (Smokeproductions) Received his (CnyceProductions) Did not. The email I sent the money to he does not use any longer. Due to fraudulent activity. I call Paypal to resolve the issue. I tell them "Hello, I sent money to a email that is no long in use. How can I get my money back?” They say it should just bounce back if the email is no longer in use. I Say "fine, cool.”

A Couple days past, I call again, this time I speak to a Supervisor. He explains to me, that (CnyceProductions) email is locked due to fraud activity, that I would have to reach out to my bank, to get the funds back. On January 24, 2017 I call at 2:49 to file a dispute for the (CnyceProductions) PayPal transaction. Seeing as it was a unused email and the photo guy didn’t get his money, and I am out of $100. The Disputed transaction is for (Smokeproductions) not for (Cnyceproductions). Which I called and stated. But I recently learned from their employees that on their end it only says “PayPal” so they unknowingly just chose a $100 transaction and disputed it.

I call right back at 3:06 and calling back to say "Hey. Wrong transaction." I have called on multiple occasions. I Called on Feb. 1st to cancel the dispute, finally, they said it was canceled. Then Friday February 3rd I get an email stating that my account is suspended. And I cannot touch my money for 7 to 10 business days. I just got paid and have bills and can’t pay them because they filed the incorrect dispute for the wrong transaction, and I am be punished for a mistake they made. I am extremely upset. Their customer service is absolutely awful. I was on the phone for 2 hours, to speak to someone who could help, and I have not be helped. I am not happy, they have put me in a hole. I will have no money for 7-10 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

I have used this card for four years until recently. I had fraudulent charges on my account that I reported in real time and as they were happening. Amex Serve said the charges were not fraud even though I had proof from the merchant that the charges were fraud. Serve closed my account and refused to accept the refund of the charges from the merchant. They are refusing to provide information they used to determine the charges were valid when the merchant and I both provided proof they were not.

I do not feel my personal data is safe neither are purchases protected with this card. It seems the consumer is punished when they are a victim of fraud with this card. I would not advise anyone use this card because you may lose your money and personal data compromised. American express Serve will not help you recover either. Capital one and Citibank offer better products and even more, the American Express Credit cards are way better than this prepaid mess. Consumer beware and run away from this card, and run fast.

I have called him several times over the past two weeks. Needless to say nobody could straighten out the problem on their website which I could see my statement is indicated to me I have to pay a $117.64 amount on February 14. Unfortunately that amount was paid on January 3 the end of the statement period and I paid $ 117.91 which I was told that was the statement balance so I overpaid a few cents. They can't even get that straight. I have proof of it. They thanked me for the payment. My next payment is due February 14 which was scheduled for February 3. I called up and tried to explain to them the situation about the statement. I was told they would transfer me to tech support. Get some young man came on the phone. I couldn't understand him because they outsource all their phone calls. All he was doing was reading the statement. He had no idea what was going on. Clueless.

I asked for tech-support not customer service in different countries. When I first called the receptionist I had indicated to the situation. She said she was switching to tech support and that the system is being upgraded. They told me that three months ago. So the situation is not straightened out, payment due is wrong, date is wrong. When I pay off these charges which will be paid in full I'm closing this account. I had months of this aggravation. Nothing they do get straightened out. I guess outsourcing is cheap because these people have no knowledge at all.

On Jan 24, 2017 I proceeded to use the cash checking feature that allows you to deposit a check into your account by indigo which takes a picture of your check and then deposits it to your account for a fee of 5.00. I was able to complete all steps until the end when I received an error stating I needed to submit a copy of the voided check, which I already did and then the error said, "Sorry for the inconvenience but you will need to call." The check had already been approved and the picture of the voided check was confirmed by the program. This happened twice.

Also, when it was declined, the amount was 35.00 that was declined, not 40.00 which was the amount of the check. What happened to the 5.00? They kept it for services that were not received. I gave the check back to the person who wrote me the check and was not able to resubmit the check back for a second time. When brought to their attention of the 5.00 they changed the subject. They are ripping people off for this fee and will not close the account. You either have to go online and wait 7-10 days after receiving this check to cancel or call them. In my case, it was for a measly .53 cent refund. Their system is not reliable and they are making money on services that are not reliable.

I called several times after being hung up on! They steal your money and tell you wait 30 days! The call center reps and managers have no customer service! Last week I swiped for $417 and the put it on hold, this week I did the same thing. They took out $469 and told me "oh we'll wait till it the remains is back in your account!!!" Wait, I never authorized $469 charge only $417 wtf!! What was the difference between this week and last week!!! There was none!!! How is it you can steal my money from me and tell me wait!!! Never seen anything like this before!!!

I have had AMEX for 30 years, that is until today... Last year I contacted the concierge to take advantage of so well advertised - was on hold for over 1 hour! This is for $450 fee a year (platinum card). Downgraded to green card last August. I did not feel like changing all the account information for recurring charges. I expected bad service, but for substantially less money ($95/year) - I WAS WRONG! Representatives are well trained to APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY! Waste of your time is beyond your imagination waiting to be switched between different "teams" - worthless.

AMEX is still a problem with being accepted overseas. Why pay annual fees? For what? There are plenty of cards with no annual fees and 6.6% interest. I got one! It is a beauty. And the customer service - EXCEPTIONAL - thank you CITI! On the last day decided to cash in my rewards. Guess what? The site is not working. What do you get from the reps - well trained profused apology and "0" result and you spend another 30 min. on the phone. If I did not have other cards, I would have been stranded while on vacation. Different reps were feeding me all kinds of stories - all different. The new card was sent/received well after I came back from a 3 week vacation, I was without a card for a month! I asked to prorate my membership fee. The answer was no. I will collect it through small claims court, but...

American Express service is a RIP-OFF! All they do is steal your money and lie about giving it back! 312 dollars was taken from me and it's been a MONTH!!! Every time I call it's one lie after another! I don't recommend anyone to do business with them!!! I regret the day I put one dollar on that account. Since they want to continue to lie I have started the process of a lawsuit against them because I don't play about my money and I don't like being lied to!!!

Someone hacked my account for 1500 bucks and first time I called I was assured I would have it back by yesterday. Nothing. I call today and have to go through a lot of questions then today they CREDIT one of the thieves with my money. Now I have to wait 10 business days which is the 20th. How do they expect me to pay my bills??? I am so upset and a nervous wreck!! I Did Not Verify Any Of This. Look at my record from 2014 since I have been a customer. I have never added over $50.

I reported several charges on my account that were not mine. I live on the East Coast and there were several charges from Walmart, itunes and a restaurant in California and Nevada. I called to report the claim and was told that the charges would be covered and I would receive my money back. Within 48 hours I received an email stating my claim was denied and I had to write corporate in order to find out why. Luckily I had printed a report of all the transactions while I was on the phone with the representative because when I tried to access my account to see if there was a phone number for corporate I had been locked out of my account!!!

I wrote the corporate office to get a report on what basis they were able to decide to keep my money and I never received anything! I tried calling the number back and you get a bunch of uninformed customer service representatives. The "Supervisor" Alvin even told me that it was my responsibility to get my money back from the merchant!! I tried to re-explain to him that I live on the other side of the US and just like I didn't jump on a plane to go to Walmart when I have one 10 mins down the road, I cannot jump on a plane to dispute this with the merchants. I told him that the card is covered by insurance that it is the responsibility of the card provider to properly dispute and return the money to consumers when there is fraud. He disagreed. I will continue to fight to get my money back and American Express should be ashamed that they are providing such terrible service to consumers.

When looking at the issues people are having with AMEX and the apparent lack of response or just plain fraud by their customer service is shocking. I have been an AMEX cardholder for years and have excellent credit and until recently have had nothing for praise and respect for the brand. So rather than relate the recent very bad customer service I have received like being ignored and lied to I would like to offer you a solution that I have used in similar situations that actually works. Companies like Bank of America and AT&T.

All states have a small claims court and process. You can find out the process for your state by doing a search online. The process is simple and not expensive. In the state I am familiar with you can file for up to $5000 (and I do suggest you go for the max and let the Judge decide the award). You simply fill out a document and describe why you think that AMEX owes you money and costs (and possibly damages). It costs a small amount of money to file it with your local court ($35 or so) and then you send it via registered mail to the company registrar that you can also find online (this is where they must receive this sort of document). Again in the state that I know best they cannot be represented by a lawyer (in some states they can be) but in any case you DO NOT need a lawyer.

You simply are given a chance to present your case and evidence to the Judge and he/she will make a decision on the case. Make sure that you are factual and have documentation of your claim/s! And definitely be honest with the Judge in your answers. However, you may not even have to go to court as you very likely will get a call from an Attorney representing them offering to settle the case. If you can get a fair and reasonable settlement then by all means do it. HOWEVER I usually want to take it to court so that the verdict is on the record for anyone to see how you were treated by the company. The small claims system is a great leveler of the playing field and certainly get their attention! Letters to the CEO and others just do not get any attention or respect sadly. I hope that this is helpful and will give you a way to get your message to the company in a positive way.

I got a gift card from my daughter Serve/ American Express. After several months I wanted to use the credit card for the first time but the balance was "0". I was not aware of the monthly charge of $5.95. I called to find out why do they charge such amount. Their response was due to "maintenance on the account". I find it disgusting the way they rob without any logical explanation.

First off I'd like to say I'd give them a zero star rating if I could. Bought a ticket from Greyhound for 147 dollars and person that was going to come visit me had an emergency and couldn't come and let me know just hours after I paid for ticket online. Called Greyhound and explained situation and guy was rude but eventually agreed to refund my money and hung up on me so no further documentation or emails followed. Couple weeks later went looking for my money on serve card and it's nowhere on there so filed dispute and it's been two months. I'm on second dispute and they keep telling me they need additional documentation which I don't have so guess Greyhound wins since they need the money much more than I do. Tried reaching dispute Department and they won't let you speak to them. Crappy service from a card carrying American Express on it. Get a different card. Take my advice.

I have had SERVE for over 2 years. I use it to avoid using my bank/credit cards to avoid the possibility of them getting compromised. I had two charges show up on the card and I immediately called AMEX regarding the charges. I live in Miami and the charges were in California. I was told that they would immediately replace the card, and that I would need to call back once the charges had posted to the account since they were in a HOLD.

I called back two days later and each time I put in my card number, the system would reset and ask that I call back later. After several attempts, I was able to get someone on the phone and explained the situation. I was then informed that the quickest way to resolve the situation was to contact the merchants where the card was used in California and ask them for a refund. When I said that did not make sense, they placed me on hold and never returned to the phone. I have made several attempts at contacting them but cannot get through their system. It is a minuscule amount ($100) but it is the principle behind it. After reading some of the other postings here, it seems that is their standard practice.

Wanted to go to a prepaid card because I don't like using my bank card. Even had my employer set up direct deposit on it to get paid a few days earlier. Everything had been going great for months. Was able to go to atms, withdraw money out and go on about my day. Last Wed Dec 8th I tried to withdraw 620.00 dollars out and nothing comes out. Says transaction was cancelled and machine is currently out of order so I am like ok, go to a ATM down the street try and pull money out.

They say I have exceeded my limit so I am like 600 plus may be too much so I tried again with 400 and got the same message. So I said "let me see what's going on"...logged into my account and lo and behold it was a -620.00 out my account. So I go back to the first ATM and the ATM machine is not out of order anymore so I am like WTF is going on. Call the Serve card, told them what happen, they tell me to go into the bank in the morning and I filed a dispute on the phone that night.

They sent me a email with more information they needed so I filled that out the next morning and fax it over. Went into the bank after that and told them what happen and they tell me my bank who the card with have to file a claim & I am like "it's your damn ATM you have cameras you can't count the damn machine or view the cameras. This ridiculous. I went in 3 hours late to hear this. So I call the Serve card again and told them what just happen and they reassured me that it will be handle. Here it is Dec 12, done call 7 times since then and all they can tell me is the 21st is when the people will email with something or with a provision credit until they finish investigating. I SAID I WANT MY DAMN 620.00 not a provisional credit.

I asked them why is it no direct number to the people investigating my matter and why haven't they been in touch with me or speak to me. I shouldn't have to wait all this time to get my money back to me or for you all to investigate and I should have a direct number to those people. I shouldn't have to wait till 21st. So me I want to Google dispute with Serve and why I do that I hear about people accounts being closed, them losing money and that's just pisses me off more so I call them back and I tell them if I don't get my 620.00 I am getting a lawyer and I am suing them and that bank machine who didn't disburse my cash because I told the reps I read the reviews and all.

Haven't help anyone fix their issue from what I am reading and I am now going thru that. So to anyone who wants to get a prepaid card just to be more safer please don't just use your bank you bank with because these prepaid people seem to be just ripping hard working people off and we can't do anything about it. AMERICAN EXPRESS IS A BRAND NAME & they should read this reviews and take care of their people even if they let a sister company use their name. They should have. Their business live by the same standards. American Express do. It's no damn reason people should be going thru this non sense and their issues not being resolved and people accounts just being closed.

It's enough people with complaints that this company should be investigated because it's ridiculous. But DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU and you don't want to experience what others are going thru or is going thru right now. We entrust these people with our money and if something bad happens we should have direct contact with a person who is handling the case and we should be spoken or given updates daily and they shouldn't be able to just hold off till they feel it's right and then send you a email with the conclusion. I wish I had read these reviews before I went with this card because I would have never sign up for it. PLEASE BEWARE PEOPLE BECAUSE MY ISSUES HASN'T BEEN RESOLVED. JUST THE BS RUNAROUNDS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE.

Yes, they have free loading and yes, POS purchases are free but cash back isn't allowed so that they can charge you an outrageous $2.50 plus the ATM you are using charges you. So, you're paying about $4.00 - $4.50 every time you need cash. They are supposed to have a Free ATM network, but it's pretty non-existent and if you are lucky enough to find one, it doesn't work. Your money also isn't protected from fraudulent merchants. I placed an order and was promised a refund from the merchant. After a few days I contacted AMEX and they told me to reach out to merchant again, they probably forgot and to check again in a week. I checked back a week later and was told they would continue with dispute but to call back in a month. A month later, they denied my dispute saying that since Pizza Hut didn't return to pick up incorrect order, I am responsible and they refused to give my money back. Needless to say, I no longer use their service.

My employer send my check. Direct deposit. Gave me a trace number, read my account and routing numbers... and the exact amount. American Express Serve said they did not receive it and nothing they can do!! I'm out my entire check of two weeks plus holiday pay!!!

I called Amex Serve to put in a dispute after going to an ATM machine to take $20 out my account. It said transaction error so I tried a couple more times, I got the same message. So I got my receipts and tried at a different ATM machine and I successfully got my $20. Later that day I looked on my account and noticed that the money was taken out my account the first 3x I tried and didn't dispense the money. So I called Amex customer service to put in the dispute. The next day they credited my account of the money the ATM didn't dispense to me and the following day I get an email stating that my account was closed for a violation on the terms and agreement. I called them to see what was going on with my account and they had no answers. They are horrible. So now they have my money in that account and I have no access.

I've had the Serve card for almost a year and have never had a problem. The only downside is it's not accepted at a few of the places I frequent, so I pay cash. There are never any fees, as long as you use the listed locations for reloads and withdrawals. I have direct deposit, which is great! I also love the mobile app and they're always up to date on emails and alerts. Overall, I've been very pleased with the Serve card.

Rushing to complete a paper due I used my card at the FedEx print shop. I inadvertently left it in the card reader. Someone picked it up and helped themselves to my money. It was two days later that I went looking for it and realized it was gone. I checked my account and there was hundreds of dollars' worth of transactions that I did not make. I immediately contacted AES and reported this. They said a "complete investigation" would be done, however in less than 24 hours I got two emails; one stating that the charges were valid, the other that my account was closed due to a violation of their terms and conditions. Panicking, I called into their HORRIBLE customer service (overseas) and was told there was no one I could speak with and nothing more I could do. After begging the rep and supervisor for ANY type of suggestion they provided me an address to write to.

I wrote a letter detailing the situation and itemizing the charges that I did not make. About a month later I received a form letter telling me that "this may not be the answer I was looking for" but that there was nothing they could do. I also received a check for $2.50! This happened in September and I am coming to terms with the fact that someone has stolen from me and AES is %100 ok with that. I recommend the Simple.com card, I get alerts with every transaction and they have excellent customer service. I bought me a $400 lesson from AES to never, ever do business with them again.:(

I don't get checking accounts with banks because they over charge me which is why I stick to prepaid accounts. I have had multiple prepaid accounts so by experience this is my favorite card to use. Their customer service is excellent, I don't have any complaints. The only downside of using American Express is that not so many merchants accept it, which is a bummer. Other than that I'm very happy with my American Express Serve Account.

I conducted research on this card along with several prepaid cards as a trial for our unbanked employees to receive direct deposit. My direct deposit was rejected by American Express and never returned to my employer's banking account. I was told by American Express the account has a block due to suspicious activity. When I asked for specific information pertaining to the activity none was provided. This company is not an FDIC insured bank, they are a holding company that is able to steal consumers' money and get away with it because the consumers deposits are not insured or protected.

Please beware of this scam. Just know that once you make the deposit you will never be able to spend it because it will never post to your account. American Express serve customer service rep also stated the deposit protection we have only works if the deposit post my trail deposit never posted to my account which means the consumer cannot file a claim for a refund.

My Wife's Serve Card was lost - so on October 6th I called the 800 Number, requested a Replacement, and told to wait seven to ten days. After ten days I called Customer Service - on a daily basis - as the Card never arrived. I was told: 1) That their Card Printing System was down in September, which affected Card Printing, 2) That their Card Printing System was down in October, which affected Card Printing, 3) That the Post Office had not verified my Street Address, 4) That Credit Cards are only delivered on Thursday, for Security Reasons, and 5) That seven to days is just an estimate, and that it could take six weeks.

Sadly, because the Customer Service Department is NOT in the U.S., there is no way for the Call Center to communicate with the Card Center, so there is no way of knowing if the Replacement Card Order was actually processed, if the Card Center actually made the new Card, or if the Replacement Card was actually sent. Customer Service - even Supervisors - have no answers, no suggestions, and no way to resolve the issue. Given the vast number of Complaints I've seen, I am surprised Am Ex would even continue their relationship. Truly poor.

I lost my Serve card one night. I looked for it for about 2 days when I realized it wasn't in my possession anymore. I looked online and saw that it was being used and they had used 106 dollars of my money. I transferred the remaining balance to my mother's card because I knew once I called they would deactivate the card. So I called in to let them know what was going on. They said they would do a investigation and it would take up to 45 days. I agreed and called every week to see what the update was. They said it was still being investigated so I waited.

On the 45th day I received a email that stated my account was closed. I didn't understand what was going so I called them and they gave me a BS story about how I broke the rules. When I asked what rule they couldn't tell me. So now I'm out of my 106 and I won't be able to open a next account even though I would definitely not open a another account nor would I suggest anyone one. It was such a disappointment that they couldn't fix my account.

I made a dispute about three airline tickets purchased with my Serve account, they claim they investigated the purchase and found they were valid and authorized. I DID NOT MAKE THOSE PURCHASES. They did ask if the card was lost or stolen, and I said "no, it wasn't". To add insult to injury, they also locked the account and said it would be unlikely for them to approve another account. Instead of explaining exactly why the account was locked, they just threw an error code at me from their onerous online agreement. It wasn't until I talked to someone on the phone that they hinted that the lock was because of the dispute.

In other words, you complained too many times, so get out. They are mailing me a check for what was left but I'm out $700 for no reason at all. I stated that my information must have been hacked and intercepted somehow and I gave them valid reasons why I wouldn't even bother buying any airline tickets now (heel injury, documented by my podiatrist) and I said my account had obviously been hacked, but they wouldn't hear of it. They mentioned some nonsense that the fraudulent transactions were 'manually entered' so it could not have been anyone else but me.

When I asked, "Where did those tickets go?" they just gave me an address to write to, which is extremely insulting in this day and age of email. This is the first and obviously last time I will ever use American Express Serve. They advertise Fraud Protection on their ads and web page but in my opinion this protection is very poor. Their fraud department is likely overworked, as I did have one dispute before this and it was processed correctly. It was easier just to cut me off and let me go.

I have to admit their TV commercials were cutesy and portrayed a friendly company willing to stand behind you. In reality they are just greedy nimrods who just want to hold your money and give you minimum effort for benefits. If you ever come across some extra money, or get a nice refund somewhere along the line, put it in a REAL bank that has a REAL fraud department. Avoid American Express Serve like it was covered in open sores and multi-legged vermin. Serve only Serves their own pockets. They sure as hell don't like Serving you.

They have poor customer service. I submitted a claim for a charge that was not my own but someone had compromised my account to pay their bill and I was penalized and had my account shut down because I knew of the merchant but did not use them with my account with serve.

On 09/12/2016 was trying to make a deposit on another account and my money was put on the wrong account. The transaction was cancelled by the other company the same day. I called American Express Serve on 09/15/2016 and the rep told me that it would take 3-5 business days for the money to be returned to the card and now today I was told that it would be 8 days. I just got out of the hospital and my blood is septic and I have a antibiotic that I have to have because I have poison in my blood. I can't wait 8 days for the money to be returned. I need help now before I get sick again. Somebody please help me. These people are liars and this card is a scam.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.
  • Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.
  • Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.
  • No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.
  • Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.
  • Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.
  • Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.
  • Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.
  • Best for Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards