American Express Serve

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards

Research top Prepaid Debit Cards recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It's quite suspicious how difficult it is to actually talk to someone from this company. As soon as I can, I will be switching to another company and let everyone I know to NOT associate with Bluebird AMEX for any reason! If there was a star for "-10", I would choose that one.

Unfortunately, the quality of American Express customer service is getting worse day by day. Many years ago, the service was top notch. Now, the best way to get quality service is to either use the online account app, or the automatic computer system, when you call in. Speaking to an educated, properly trained representative is difficult. Many of them have strong language barriers, that creates miscommunication. Those who do speak clear English are often times curt and unhelpful. I am extremely disappointed in how poor American Express has become customer service wise. There was a time, about 15 years ago, (I've been a customer longer than that), where it was hard to get approved for an AMEX card. Thus, the level of service was high. Well, it seems that they have lowered their approval standards; and along with it, the quality of customer service.

I am tired of calling American Express customer service and being put on hold, because the rep is uneducated or not properly trained, to handle and resolve a question or issue that I have. I have been left on hold for several minutes, and no one comes back to the phone. So, I call back, and all I get his "Oh, we are so sorry for this one. How can I help you with this one..." Forget about asking for a supervisor. They will make every excuse in the book to not provide you with a supervisor. Or, they will pretend to put you on hold, then disconnect the call. It is very frustrating and I hope that by seeing all of these complaints on Consumer Affairs that American Express will get their act together. Because right now, it's a hot mess! I should be able to call AMEX day or night, and receive top notch customer service, better than what I will get from a robotic computer system!

American Express Travel Related Services Co., Inc. They stole my $2200 by shutting down my prepaid cards and accounts (Serve Card and Bluebird Card) for no real reason and they refuse to give me my money back!!! But I will fight back for my money and my rights and I have seen many people with the same issue, and we are trying to make a class action lawsuit for this!

I filed a dispute on 6/15/2017 for an ATM withdrawal. The money was not dispensed and the ATM told me I had insufficient funds but deducted the amount from my account. I was told I needed to file a dispute with the cardholder. So I did. Here it is 6/26/2017 and I've received no correspondence, no help, no nothing. Not even a temporary credit to help pay my bills. I mean it's a prepaid card for God's sake. You know I had the money on there and it's now gone. I was hopeful when I initially filed the dispute. Thinking it was a simple fix and that the process could not possibly be that convoluted but obviously it is. There is NO one to speak to except people with very poor English all the way in the Philippines. Meanwhile the actual department that handles disputes is in Utah and for some reason there is no way to contact that actual department. Only this lone phone number full of people who have no idea and don't even care what's going on.

I never have applied or gotten a Serve Debit Card but yet I keep getting emails about my supposed account and that the online statements are available. I can find no way to contact American Express Serve as all online methods of contacting them require me to login to my supposed account and calling just gets me an automated system requiring an account number to be able to talk to anyone. The FAQ on their website says they require email verification but I never verified any email for American Express. I have had this email account for many years and these appear to be legitimate emails from American Express. I would really like to stop getting these emails I just do not know how to contact them to get them stopped.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

On May 27th I was emailed by Amex Serve indicating that my account would be suspended for a fraudulent charge that I reported to them. They then closed my account with my hard earned money still in the account. I was unable to use the card to get my funds and the customer service rep indicated that a check would be mailed to me in 7-10 business days. I never received the check. I've been on hold more for more than an hour with several reps and my issue has NOT been resolved. I call daily to check the status. They repeatedly attempt to reassure me that a check will be mailed but at this point, I do not believe them. This is the worst experience ever.

Card was compromised. A fraudulent transaction was processed via Stripe payment systems (online system used by many online mail order companies, e-commerce companies). The representative on the line was barely able to communicate and just kept parroting a telemarketing rhetoric. Offshore support with little or no understanding of the issue. Beyond disappointed. No common sense and a "nothing we can do" mantra.

I had the card now for several months no issues. I sent my rent via bill pay. The payment arrived late. I received a late charge. The customer service rep explained to me that the fee would be added to my acct. That never happened. I was transferred to the dispute dept. The rep was rude and seemed distracted. The dispute was completed for the wrong date and wrong amount. I called back a second time and the dispute was completed via email stating that the payment was delivered and basically that was all they could do. I called back a 3rd time today and the rep was beyond rude and told me there was nothing that they could do and never looked my acct up, pretended not to hear me and ended the call. I was happy with my card until this happened. I am going to keep complaining until I no longer have air in my lungs. Extremely dissatisfied!

I got my Bluebird card in October of 2016. Figured I would use it for my tax return. BIG MISTAKE! I was happily spending my return on my bills and somehow, someone got my card number and started charging it for crazy internet stuff. (I never buy anything online, especially on my computer. Usually on my cell) I called customer service as soon as I found out. They were really nice at first. I had a sub account and my husband's name was on it and they said that his account wouldn't be blocked while I was issued a new card. Fast forward 48 hours later. I get an email stating that my account has been closed and all my funds will be mailed to me via check. I called customer service and asked why. They said that my complaint didn't follow the user agreement and that my account had been cancelled.

Another 10 days later I receive a check for $19 which was what was left in my account. My sub account that belonged to my husband had $1,500 in it. It never came. Mind you that this was in MARCH of 2017 and it is now the last day of MAY in 2017. They told me about a week ago that they are mailing me my $1,500.00. I have gotten nothing but the runaround since. I have called 3 times a week for the last 3 months with excuses. Like: We mailed it, we sent it back to the IRS, we are not sure of your situation. Blah blah blah. I finally had someone that actually called me back and let me know that they were issuing me a check that day and that it should be here within 10 days. They better pray that it's here by Friday. I will NEVER EVER USE BLUEBIRD AGAIN AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM IF THEY WERE THE LAST BANK ON EARTH. Your money is safer with a freaking teenager than them.

American Express will not remove a 30 day late payment which was for just $1 for some reason. They tell me their system won't allow making a change because it happened 3 months ago. I just found out because my credit score dropped dramatically. Now I have to live with this mark on my report for 7 years? This is unconscionable.

My card was stolen and was used and all of my money was gone off my card. Called them to my a complaint and do a fraud form. The form was done. They so called told me that they was doing investigation. They sent me emails saying 45 days from now not 10 days from now. They emailed me and told me that my account was permanently locked due to that it wasn't nothing wrong with the transactions. I'm trying to understand how it's not my card was stolen and used. They didn't want to help me. They didn't want to credit the amount that was took from me. They don't treat their customers well. They need this card shut down.

On May 1, 2017, State Farm Fire Casualty sent out a Direct Deposit to my Amex Serve account, in the amnt. of $1000. In order to receive my D. Deposit, you must call the number on the back of the Amex card, to retrieve your D. Deposit acct. and routing numbers. I listened to the numbers 5 times total, to make sure I did not get them wrong. I was able to give State Farm the D.deposit info and everything seemed to be going fine. On the 3rd, I called Amex Serve and they say they do not see anything pending, to wait one more day. I called Amex the next day and they noticed my Acct number was different than what I had provided them (your D. Deposit acct number is not the same as your card number). Amex told me that one digit that was a 4, was supposed to be a 0, and that they had rejected my D. Deposit.

I immediately assumed that I had MADE a mistake when writing down my Acct and routing number. So I called the card back to retry and it was still giving me a 4 instead of a 0!! I didn't make a mistake. I then called and listened again, this time, I used another device to record my phone call to the automated part that gives the D. Deposit acct number. After I had my recording, I called customer service back and explained. They said someone from tech support would call me and they never heard of this happening. Tech support called me and did a 3 way call to listen but of course they fixed the account number in the automated system first. (That explains why they locked my Acct. for about a half an hour.)

When tech support insisted I had made the mistake by taking down the wrong number, she said she could not issue a investigation ticket. I said, "Please listen to something first," and I played the recording for her over the phone, of me calling and the system giving the incorrect acct. number for Direct Deposit. She was speechless for a moment and then said she would write a ticket. In the meantime, I was facing eviction, my phone bill needed paid and I was limited on money. This was the reason I decided to use the D. Deposit, instead of waiting for a mailed check. I needed it asap.

On the 4th, State Farm was made aware when I called to let them know what was going on. They advised me that the $1000 was showing PAID. Amex said they rejected the $1000. State Farm reissued payment to me on the 5th of May. It is now 1:22 a.m. May 9th, 2017, STILL NO MONEY DEPOSITED OR EVEN SHOWING PENDING TO MY AMEX SERVE CARD. I still had to find a way to pay my lot rent as I am a mobile home owner and have eviction scheduled Wednesday the 10th. I've been out of work due to health and injury. We are a family of 5 with 3 children. I pray I am able to borrow the money, if it is not on my card by noon, or we will be losing our home and I'm not able to pay my phone bill, which I need for communication, to deal with the severe issues this has caused me and my family.

If I do not have $1000 by noon today, May 9, 2017, I will definitely be taking the steps to file suit. Thank God I have that recording, of their system giving me the incorrect number. That was the smartest move I've made yet, when dealing with other people messing me up. We need to shut down Amex Serve, period. I WANT MY MONEY. IF I LOSE MY HOME, I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL THEY ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE, WITH MY PROOF. I WILL MAKE SURE OF IT.

I recently had two experiences with them when $15-30 has been taken out of my account and no representatives could tell me where my money went and why was it taken. I never received my money back and they also lied about dispute policies. I had no problems with my account until I started receiving direct deposit to my card a year after opening my Serve account.

My recent experience was when I made a purchase with a merchant for $18 and American Express place the funds on hold for the merchant and removed the money from my account, three days later $15 was deducted from my account for that same merchant and when I contacted them about this issue the representative said that the $18 was placed back into my account because the funds had expired, but I was told multiple times before when I called about a problem before this one that funds remain on hold for 7 days until they are expired and released back into the account, so if the funds were placed on hold for the merchant already then why is it that my account was charged again and deducted for $15, which is less than the amount I was charged for by the merchant?

American Express Serve could not prove to me that the funds for $18 was placed back into my account and they also could not show proof where the other funds went or what happened to them, I’m pissed off because money continuously gets stolen out of my account that I work hard for and they just rip me off two weeks in a row.

Got the Serve card and signed up, but the 15 digit number won't work and of course I can't get a real person to help. I usually get knocked off when I call. Wish I would of read reviews before I wasted my money.

The customer service department was horrible with assisting me in obtaining my permanent card since my address changed. I was on hold for over 43 minutes waiting for a supervisor because the representative couldn't explain why the address wouldn't "verify"!! The call lasted over an hour before I was disconnected & when I called back, I was placed on hold again! The second time the hold was over 30 minutes just to speak with a supervisor?! This goes to show the amount of issues American Express Serve is having when one has to wait so long. I've gone through several address verification systems including the one used at my job & I was able to verify!

This is totally unacceptable to be on hold for extreme periods of time & without the permanent card I'll be subject to fees that I shouldn't be changed when being proactive with my account issues! I DO NOT RECOMMEND GETTING THIS CARD! I'm already having issues as a new account holder before I'm able to get access to their "full benefits".

I had my tax refund placed on the Serve card. The first card was sent to the wrong address. I called to correct the information and then had to spend 45 mins with cyber security trying to verify the address. After doing so I was told the card was being sent to the corrected address and to look for it in 7 - 10 business days. I called the next day to make sure they were sending it to the correct address and was told it was.

After waiting 2 weeks I call again because I still had yet to receive my card. I was told the card was again sent to the same address I told them was incorrect. How is it that I was transferred to cyber security to correct the address, spent 35 mins on the phone with CYBER SECURITY!!! Called the next day, told it was sent to the corrected address for them to again send it to the first address they sent it to. Now I'm told I have to wait another 7-10 business days? AMEX IS the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I will be contacting the BBB.

So, I got my taxes filed, got my refund back in a timely manner and had it deposited to an American Express Serve card. Around March 4th, I went and got a total of $44 in fuel and American Express Serve took out $90.83 for the purchase claiming it was a pre authorization charge that is set with the fuel company. But that once the transaction processed is get the money back but it would take 8 to 10 business days.

Nowhere I am a little over a month later and they've done it to me again. Different gas station, same fuel company but never had an issue with this station. I got $28.00 in fuel this time and I started with $83.31. So you do the math, because that's how much they took. Everything I had left till payday for $28.00 in fuel. Once again they blamed it on the fuel company. But I contacted the fuel company and did a conference call between them. The fuel company only shows $28.00. But American Express Serve is still placing blame elsewhere. Do not trust them. They are thieves. I now have no money if I need something for my kids until they decide to put back what they stole.

If I would have read all these negative reviews, I would have never gotten this card!!! They are crooks, stealing everyone's money!!! And yes I will be contacting BBB and filing a complaint and if I can sue them!! Anyway I noticed two transactions that weren't mine so I called. They cancelled that card and said they would send me a new one, which they did, but cancelled that one too! Saying that it wasn't fraud, blah blah blah, same crap they told everyone else!!! Anyway they are thieves!!! Yes, with all these 100's of complaints about them there should be a class action suit, and I am sure it will be soon, but not soon enough. ** company.

I have been a Serve customer for probably 6 years, and happy for the most part. I have had issues with identity theft on the past, so I will not use my debit card or credit cards for online shopping. I have used the Serve card religiously for online purchases for the last 4 years. So, last week, my card was compromised. I received an email that my email address had been changed. I immediately called and customer service was not very helpful. The gentleman spoke to me like he was reading from a script. He put me on hold, and came back to tell me that he called my phone number on file and left a code on my voicemail. He needed that code to verify that I was who I said I was. Problem with that was I had changed my phone number since opening the account and had not updated the number. They had no other way of account security. What if the hackers had changed my phone number too???

Long story short, I was able to get in touch with the person who has my old number and got the code I needed, and was able to get my account locked down and back under my control... or so I thought. The hackers made off with $1,963.00. I was told I would have to wait 10 business days while they conducted their investigation. Kudos to Amex for not taking that long. I received my money back in less than a week.

Now, fast forward to this week. I immediately pulled out $750 on Tuesday, then another $750 on Wednesday. Now it's Thursday (just after midnight here), and I received an email from Serve that I had changed my password!!! No, no, I did not! So I immediately call Serve, and while I am trying to get someone on the line, the emails are coming like crazy... Money transferred from my debit card, money transferred out, more money transferred out, my pin number changed.

Finally get someone on the line. She said that she locked my account, but by that point, they had wiped me out! Then, I am told I have to call back in the morning because the fraud department isn't there until 8:00 am EST. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed, upset, and just plain mad!!! After last week's episode, I surely didn't think this could happen AGAIN!!! So, this time I am out $676.00. And I have to try and go to sleep knowing this. When I get my money back this time, I am gone! Is nothing secure anymore?

I received my tax return on my American Express Serve Card on February 16, 2017 six days after I filed. On March 30, 2017 I finally received my card after calling several times where I was repeatedly told that if I didn't provide my entire social security number they couldn't look up my account. I finally got through to some one who could look it up using my date of birth and the last four digits just fine but we got disconnected. When I called back the automated message said their server was down, after several repeated attempts I blocked my number and called again. My call went through the first time. They blocked my number! Amazing. Now 7 weeks later I have my card from when it was supposed to be sent out of Feb 10 2017 and my PayPal won't link it for risk of fraud. This entire company is a scam.

My card was compromised. Called the same day. It was used in another city about 5 hours away at a Walmart. Agent said they will investigate and send me a new card. 8 days later no card. Called to get stairs 8 days later and they acted like it was a new investigation and another 10 days. Not receiving a new card after 10 days and called. Upset. 1 hr after the call "the investigation was declined". Called asked to be transferred to a supervisor after holding 30 min the call was disconnected. Will still pursue my dispute further. Will never recommend American Express already. Had my son close his account.

I have had my Serve card for a few years now, and up until last year, I had zero problems. I was one of their happy customers, and they never had to hear from me. Since last year, however, Amex has declined three of my transactions and held the amount hostage. Each time, the funds I tried to pay to the merchants were placed on hold for 8 full days. The first time this happened, I tried to make a payment to a hotel where I was staying. The transaction failed, even though the money was available. Subsequent attempts also failed, because Amex preauthorized the amount to be taken by the hotel.

I called Amex to ask them to release the hold so that I could make the payment to the hotel. They told me they couldn't release the funds, and that I would have to wait for the hold to lift on its own. The hotel manager advised me that because the transaction declined on their end, they had absolutely no way to even try to collect the money I had tried to give them. She and I both did a conference call with Amex's customer service, only to be told the same thing. Absolutely no help was given. I would have been out on the streets that night if I hadn't been able to borrow money from my mother to pay the hotel. I should have learned my lesson about the Serve card right then and there, but I brushed it off as a fluke. This kind of thing had never happened before.

The second incident occurred two weeks ago, when I placed an order with Amazon. The transaction appeared to have been successful, until it came time for Amazon to ship my items. Amazon doesn't collect payment until they ship the items, so the money sat on hold for them till then. Amex once again would not release the funds to Amazon. I called Amazon, and of course, there was nothing they could do on their end. All they had was a hard decline error.

So I called Amex several times and talked to several different representatives (who are probably just robots programmed to regurgitate policies at people in distress.) Same story. "Amazon has 8 days to get this money, and if they don't pick it up, the hold will be released." "I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue, but there is nothing we can do." Excuse me, Amex? SOMEONE is in possession and control of my money, and unfortunately it's not me. I thought it was you.

The third occurrence was today. Amex released my funds on March 5th. I tried again that same day to pay for my Amazon order, and once again, it looked like it went through. NOPE! I got an email today from Amazon, telling me that my payment declined. I have been watching this order obsessively and half-expecting this to happen again, while also hoping I'd be wrong. I watched $327.55 of my money sit on hold with Amex for 3 days. It's still sitting on hold. I'm so done. I'm not even going to call customer support this time. I fortunately had funds available on a different card, so I paid Amazon, and they received their money immediately.

I don't know how Amex makes money off prepaid customers, but I know they have to be profiting somehow from my usage of their services. Therefore, I am discontinuing my usage of their services. Once Amex releases my money, I'm racing to an ATM to yank out my cash, and then I'm cutting up my Serve card. I would advise anyone considering opening a Serve account to consider alternatives like Greendot.

Can not use the American Express Card from Hewitt Jackson anywhere which makes no sense. I finally went to Walmart and the machine said I took out more than I did. This is so upsetting. Im sick of getting ripped off by these companies. People do not get the American Express card ripoff. Most of the fast food chains do not even take the card now. Thats real bad. Im praying they give my money back.

For my son's birthday he wanted more than anything a new BMX bike frame. Since I was getting my taxes back I told him I would do this for him for his birthday. We go on the bike site, put in all of the information using the AMEX card, the website says "technical error try again." We try again 2 more times getting the same error message. Not realizing that AMEX is taking and holding the funds for these transactions that are not completing!! I call them and the bike company immediately following seeing the funds on hold, the people from AMEX told me "The transaction did not complete. Your money will be released within the hour."

Here I am 9 days later with $1400 still on hold. I have called AMEX numerous times, they keep telling me they have not received notice from the bike shop's bank saying they declined the purchases, however, the bike shop sent me the declined notices for all 3 error messages. So how do I have this notice yet AMEX does not? In the meantime, my car insurance has lapsed, my rent is late and we have no food in our house!! All because I wanted to do something nice for my son for his birthday. I am so screwed financially because of this mess, I don't see a way out nor can I give my son this gift that he so badly wanted. I was told by 3 people and a supervisor that I would have my money within 8 days. I'm on day 9 and still nothing.

I have contacted my attorney. We have to wait the full 8 days before I can file my complaint, so tomorrow if my money is not in my acct, I will be following through with my lawsuit against AMEX! They cannot hold your money without just cause, oh and 2 of the times we tried to make our purchase we used the wrong security code. So tell me again, how can you hold money where one, wrong security codes, two no purchase was made and three you received notice from the other bank showing declined all 3 times. This isn't even the first issue I have had with this card. First the card wasn't working at all, then if we went to a restaurant and spent $30 they held $60. I went back to the restaurant flipping on them for overcharging me. They called their cc company who told us on speaker phone AMEX is known for doing this. Buying gas instead of only holding $1 or the amount spent i.e. $20 they hold $40.

I will never again have my taxes filed by a company, only did this to try to get the early loan since I lost my job and really needed the money. So I in the end paid $450 to have chest pains from the stress, not able to give my son the one thing he desperately wanted for his birthday, to losing my car insurance being late on my rent and other bills. I've done my own taxes for years, just needed a little extra help this year and ended up in more of a bind than I can handle. As well as my broken hearted child. I will never use AMEX again and will make sure everyone reads these reviews before they do too! I can't wait to talk to my Atty tomorrow!

Back in January, my husband and I were pre-approved for a Jackson Hewitt Refund Advance. This was loaded onto an American Express Serve temporary card, and we were advised to sign up for a permanent card as soon as possible. I did so that day, using the Android Serve app, and they sure informed us that we'd be receiving a permanent card within 7-10 business days.

After two weeks, we still hadn't received the permanent card, so we called Serve's wonderfully outsourced customer service number. They told us that they'd indeed mailed a card, but they'd mail another one that day. We specifically asked if this would affect our full income tax refund, and the representative assures us that we would have no problems, that the unreceived card would be a non-issue. We did get a card in the mail, but didn't immediately activate it because of the IRS delays on tax refunds involving schedule EIC.

On Tuesday, February 21, he received a text message alert informing us that our federal income tax refund had been deposited into our account. I had signed up for text alerts when I'd originally applied for the permanent card back in December, so we got the kids out of school and headed to Walmart, in a joyful mood while shopping for much-needed kids' clothes. At the register, my husband's temporary card was declined. Thinking that it had been placed upon the permanent card, I immediately activated and registered it. That card was declined. Walmart suspended our transaction while I called Amex Serve's customer service line. In the meantime, I checked the mobile app I'd had on my phone. It gave me the account balance I'd been expecting.

The representative refused to talk to me at first, since I'm only the legal wife of the card holder. Okay, fine, my husband gets on the phone and verified his security questions. The representative asked for the card number... and it didn't match the card that had our entire tax check on it. They had loaded our money, almost six thousand dollars, onto a card we had never received. Now, to some that may not be a lot of money. To us, it represents a car, children's clothes, and perhaps a few small luxuries. $6000 is a third of my husband's annual income.

Needless to say, we were upset. They told us that we'd get nothing today, that they'd issue a new card within the famous 7-10 business days. We demanded to speak to a supervisor. This took twenty more minutes on hold, while my husband, myself, and our four children sat at Walmart, the kids wondering what was going on and why weren't they getting the clothes and shoes. The supervisor seemed sympathetic at first. She finally said that they would do twelve separate Western Union transactions to us so that we could have access to a majority of our money. She put us on hold while she went to get approval.

At that point, someone who said they were a manager came on the line, stating that that was impossible. They are limited to a SINGLE Western Union transaction per account lifetime. We had been on the phone for almost two hours at this time, all of it spent at Walmart with four kids. We accepted the Western Union, And he stated it could take 48 hours to go through. I exploded. A money transfer takes ten minutes, I argued, and if it were approved it needed to be sent NOW, not in two days. They were holding our tax refund hostage and owed us that much. Surprisingly, he put us on hold and returned with an MCTN, assuring us that our replacement card would arrive within 7-10 business days (I'd asked for, and been denied, 8 am overnight option). We picked up the money and for the kids' items.

On Friday, February 24, I was browsing the mobile app. There was an option to transfer money between Serve accounts using the PIN. I had the PIN for the temporary card, which apparently transferred over to the lost card, so I brought the idea up to my husband. We decided to call Customer Service before doing anything to ensure we wouldn't be wasting our time. After 20 minutes on hold and another lengthy explanation of our issue, we asked: could we purchase a new Serve card that day and transfer money from the account with our money on it to the purchased card. He said we could as long as the email address and account holder's name were different.

We rushed to Walgreens and bought a Serve card. I applied for a permanent card using my name and e-mail address, then initiated the Send Money transaction. I received a confirmation email, but when we tried to use the Accept button, it was grayed out, unusable. Cue another call to this oh-so-excellent Customer Service line. After the now-expected 20 min hold, we explained the situation yet again, since they apparently don't make notes of customer contacts (or they don't read them, or a combination of the above). They said that you can't use the Send/Request Money features on a temporary card; we had to wait (You guessed it!) 7-10 business days for MY permanent card to arrive!

We melted down at this point. After escalating to yet another manager, he said that he was going to get an exception approved for a $2,500 Western Union transfer for us because it WAS Amex Serve's fault this had happened in the first place. He did warn us that it could take up to 48 hours, but his demeanor suggested that approval was all but guaranteed. With this in mind, we agreed to wait, as he said he would call my husband back as soon as he got word, and if he didn't, my husband was to call Customer Service back the next afternoon. No call occurred.

So today, Saturday, February 25th, we borrowed money to take our kids to the yearly circus (it's been a tradition for five years). After my husband got off work, he called Customer Service. A supervisor there told him that he'd been approved for another $300 transfer, but she had no MCTN. They would call back with that information. My husband asked that they try and do so before 4 pm (this was at 1 pm), as we were taking the kids to the circus and they look forward to this every year.

4 pm... No phone call, no movement in the account. We call yet again. A representative tells us that it will take up to TEN DAYS for this money transfer (that was initially asked for because of our having to wait 7-10 business days for the replacement card...) but she seemed very unsure of the entire situation (that we had to explain again). She then revealed that NO REPLACEMENT CARD HAD BEEN MAILED. So, we asked for a supervisor. We spent forty minutes on hold, arriving at the circus, trying to budget food and admission with the money we had had to borrow from my husband's mother for this once yearly outing. A kind woman handed us a few discount coupons, making our financial situation a tad better but we were still unable to buy any food, drink, or souvenirs from the circus... We had to save what was left for dinner and gas.

Just before the circus started a supervisor got on the line. I wasn't present for the conversation because I'd taken my children into the building. I saved a seat for my husband and tried to enjoy the show, despite my kids' desire for what every other family seemed to have (drinks, light up toys, etc, all things I could have gotten had Amex not screwed up my tax refund). Thirty minutes into the show, my husband returned. He told me that they had suddenly referred him to the Fraud Department, who had now locked our account until he returned a signed affidavit (which would take... guess how long! to arrive). They would not send any transfer, any replacement card until this was done, despite no movement on the card, no transactions whatsoever, no disputes filed except for us wanting access to the federal tax refund that had been deposited on the 21st.

We had to get a car on extremely short notice with extremely unfavorable terms right before our refund came in so that my husband could get to work (a 30 mi trip one way). Our tax refund was to pay for this car and get us out of the outrageous $200/wk payment plan we had to agree to. Additionally, we had to replace our washer and dryer in January, so we went to a rent to own store and got a set, telling them we intended to use the early payoff option that reduces the price by a lot. We have an extended family of ten, so we required a more expensive washer/dryer set simply because of efficiency and workmanship.

Amex Serve's actions during this are screwing ALL of this up. It's causing considerable stress upon myself and my husband, not to mention my kids overhearing our numerous phone calls to their outsourced customer service center. They all say they're sorry, that they apologize for the inconvenience, yet none of them actually do anything to rectify this issue they caused. Promises to call us back don't get kept. We're told different things by different representatives. Their Twitter service is a joke; they told me to call after I told them that calling did me no good. I'm going to lose the car. I might lose my W/D set.

None of this is our fault and they seem adamant about denying us access to what is rightfully ours. Tomorrow (...today, it's almost 1 am on Sunday, Feb 26th) I am going to call Jackson Hewitt for their opinion. Then I am going to call Serve and attempt to completely close out my account, demanding a paper check be mailed... Bet it'll take 7-10 business days if they allow it at all. I can't see them as being able to deny the closure. Surely, they can't force me to be a customer?

Stay away from American Express Serve if you like having access to your money.

I deposited a check to this card and have been waiting 8 business days for it to clear. When I originally called I was told that the check would clear in 48 hours. Five days later I called back and was told that the original rep was wrong and had no business telling me this. They said that the first check deposited can take 10 business days to clear. I was told it is in the fine print after you deposit a check. Had I known it would take 10 BUSINESS days to clear I would never have deposited it on the card. Amex needs to make their fine print available prior to submitting checks. They need to state this in the terms in conditions on their website. When you search their website this is nowhere to be found. It isn't helpful to see after I've already deposited the check. It also amazes me that half the reps are giving incorrect information to their customers with no desire to fix their mistakes or misinformation.

I ordered my American Express Serve card on 27 January 2017, the same day as I filed my taxes. I received my Federal Tax return on 20 Feb 2017 but cannot access funds because I have not received card. I called American Express Serve and was notified that they didn't send my card until my taxes came in and I would have to wait an additional 7 to 10 days. This sounded intentional. This is really unacceptable and why do they need to hold my funds for 7 to 10 days?

After reporting fraudulent charges for someone using my card, my case was reviewed and my account was suspended despite AE advertising 100% fraud protection. The customer service is someone in far East Asia who sound like they just woke up out of bed and was given a 25 minute crash course in English. I'm beginning to think American Express's own employees are giving out the card numbers and the fraud and corruption is internalized. If you have this card get rid of it and do not give out your personal information to customer service. Ignore this warning at your own peril.

I've had my Serve account for a year now. It's been OK no problems, they lie to you say you can get your money two days early. Lie. So I get paid every other Friday. Well today apparently they are experiencing "high volumes of direct deposit" today so my check is on hold. I'm pretty upset because I sent my refund to this card and now I wish I didn't because I want to cancel this card so bad! You can't even pay things online with AMEX. It sucks really. Don't get this card! They rip you off, the people rude. And you have to wait until the end of the business day to get paid! When you are supposed to get paid in the morning! Everything will be closed by the time I get paid and it's truly upsetting! If I could give ZERO STARS I would in a heartbeat! AMEX sucks credit or debit wise.

On January 25, 2017, I went to my local Walmart store to withdraw some cash. Instead of getting the amount I requested, I got a receipt. The receipt shows an "error" message and also shows that no money was dispensed. Made a dispute with American Express Serve. Phone call #1, was telling me to expect an email showing my how to go about making my dispute. Another phone call was made on January 30, 2017 to follow up on the email. The rep tells me that an email was sent. When I told him I never got it, he said that they weren't allowed to send out another email because of security reasons and to call back on February 7th. Called again on February 3rd regarding another situation and wanted to check on the email that I still had not received regarding my dispute. This particular rep told me, that they are indeed allowed to send another email out and it would take 24-48 hours before I received it.

3 days later, no email in sight. Called them again on February 6 and this rep. told me everything that I needed to do in order to make my dispute and the fax #. Got to work and faxed my dispute. A few hours later, I get an email saying that my dispute was denied because the money was dispensed. The receipt that I provided them showed that no money was dispensed at all. Every single rep that I spoke with told me verbatim, "we'll temporarily will give you the money back until we're done with our investigation". I find it odd that you conclude a dispute within a few hours when I still haven't received an email with instructions on how to proceed with my dispute.

When I called the ATM company, Pam from Customer Care stated, "American Express would have to contact them in order for someone to go to that particular ATM and get the transcript to see what happened". She even told me that the transaction was an EFT. I'm very disappointed with American Express Serve. Although it's about the $300.00 that I never received, it's also about the principle. I sent letters and the receipt showing proof and they won't budge.

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards