American Express Serve

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards

Research top Prepaid Debit Cards recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So, I got my taxes filed, got my refund back in a timely manner and had it deposited to an American Express Serve card. Around March 4th, I went and got a total of $44 in fuel and American Express Serve took out $90.83 for the purchase claiming it was a pre authorization charge that is set with the fuel company. But that once the transaction processed is get the money back but it would take 8 to 10 business days.

Nowhere I am a little over a month later and they've done it to me again. Different gas station, same fuel company but never had an issue with this station. I got $28.00 in fuel this time and I started with $83.31. So you do the math, because that's how much they took. Everything I had left till payday for $28.00 in fuel. Once again they blamed it on the fuel company. But I contacted the fuel company and did a conference call between them. The fuel company only shows $28.00. But American Express Serve is still placing blame elsewhere. Do not trust them. They are thieves. I now have no money if I need something for my kids until they decide to put back what they stole.

If I would have read all these negative reviews, I would have never gotten this card!!! They are crooks, stealing everyone's money!!! And yes I will be contacting BBB and filing a complaint and if I can sue them!! Anyway I noticed two transactions that weren't mine so I called. They cancelled that card and said they would send me a new one, which they did, but cancelled that one too! Saying that it wasn't fraud, blah blah blah, same crap they told everyone else!!! Anyway they are thieves!!! Yes, with all these 100's of complaints about them there should be a class action suit, and I am sure it will be soon, but not soon enough. ** company.

I have been a Serve customer for probably 6 years, and happy for the most part. I have had issues with identity theft on the past, so I will not use my debit card or credit cards for online shopping. I have used the Serve card religiously for online purchases for the last 4 years. So, last week, my card was compromised. I received an email that my email address had been changed. I immediately called and customer service was not very helpful. The gentleman spoke to me like he was reading from a script. He put me on hold, and came back to tell me that he called my phone number on file and left a code on my voicemail. He needed that code to verify that I was who I said I was. Problem with that was I had changed my phone number since opening the account and had not updated the number. They had no other way of account security. What if the hackers had changed my phone number too???

Long story short, I was able to get in touch with the person who has my old number and got the code I needed, and was able to get my account locked down and back under my control... or so I thought. The hackers made off with $1,963.00. I was told I would have to wait 10 business days while they conducted their investigation. Kudos to Amex for not taking that long. I received my money back in less than a week.

Now, fast forward to this week. I immediately pulled out $750 on Tuesday, then another $750 on Wednesday. Now it's Thursday (just after midnight here), and I received an email from Serve that I had changed my password!!! No, no, I did not! So I immediately call Serve, and while I am trying to get someone on the line, the emails are coming like crazy... Money transferred from my debit card, money transferred out, more money transferred out, my pin number changed.

Finally get someone on the line. She said that she locked my account, but by that point, they had wiped me out! Then, I am told I have to call back in the morning because the fraud department isn't there until 8:00 am EST. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed, upset, and just plain mad!!! After last week's episode, I surely didn't think this could happen AGAIN!!! So, this time I am out $676.00. And I have to try and go to sleep knowing this. When I get my money back this time, I am gone! Is nothing secure anymore?

I received my tax return on my American Express Serve Card on February 16, 2017 six days after I filed. On March 30, 2017 I finally received my card after calling several times where I was repeatedly told that if I didn't provide my entire social security number they couldn't look up my account. I finally got through to some one who could look it up using my date of birth and the last four digits just fine but we got disconnected. When I called back the automated message said their server was down, after several repeated attempts I blocked my number and called again. My call went through the first time. They blocked my number! Amazing. Now 7 weeks later I have my card from when it was supposed to be sent out of Feb 10 2017 and my PayPal won't link it for risk of fraud. This entire company is a scam.

My card was compromised. Called the same day. It was used in another city about 5 hours away at a Walmart. Agent said they will investigate and send me a new card. 8 days later no card. Called to get stairs 8 days later and they acted like it was a new investigation and another 10 days. Not receiving a new card after 10 days and called. Upset. 1 hr after the call "the investigation was declined". Called asked to be transferred to a supervisor after holding 30 min the call was disconnected. Will still pursue my dispute further. Will never recommend American Express already. Had my son close his account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

I have had my Serve card for a few years now, and up until last year, I had zero problems. I was one of their happy customers, and they never had to hear from me. Since last year, however, Amex has declined three of my transactions and held the amount hostage. Each time, the funds I tried to pay to the merchants were placed on hold for 8 full days. The first time this happened, I tried to make a payment to a hotel where I was staying. The transaction failed, even though the money was available. Subsequent attempts also failed, because Amex preauthorized the amount to be taken by the hotel.

I called Amex to ask them to release the hold so that I could make the payment to the hotel. They told me they couldn't release the funds, and that I would have to wait for the hold to lift on its own. The hotel manager advised me that because the transaction declined on their end, they had absolutely no way to even try to collect the money I had tried to give them. She and I both did a conference call with Amex's customer service, only to be told the same thing. Absolutely no help was given. I would have been out on the streets that night if I hadn't been able to borrow money from my mother to pay the hotel. I should have learned my lesson about the Serve card right then and there, but I brushed it off as a fluke. This kind of thing had never happened before.

The second incident occurred two weeks ago, when I placed an order with Amazon. The transaction appeared to have been successful, until it came time for Amazon to ship my items. Amazon doesn't collect payment until they ship the items, so the money sat on hold for them till then. Amex once again would not release the funds to Amazon. I called Amazon, and of course, there was nothing they could do on their end. All they had was a hard decline error.

So I called Amex several times and talked to several different representatives (who are probably just robots programmed to regurgitate policies at people in distress.) Same story. "Amazon has 8 days to get this money, and if they don't pick it up, the hold will be released." "I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue, but there is nothing we can do." Excuse me, Amex? SOMEONE is in possession and control of my money, and unfortunately it's not me. I thought it was you.

The third occurrence was today. Amex released my funds on March 5th. I tried again that same day to pay for my Amazon order, and once again, it looked like it went through. NOPE! I got an email today from Amazon, telling me that my payment declined. I have been watching this order obsessively and half-expecting this to happen again, while also hoping I'd be wrong. I watched $327.55 of my money sit on hold with Amex for 3 days. It's still sitting on hold. I'm so done. I'm not even going to call customer support this time. I fortunately had funds available on a different card, so I paid Amazon, and they received their money immediately.

I don't know how Amex makes money off prepaid customers, but I know they have to be profiting somehow from my usage of their services. Therefore, I am discontinuing my usage of their services. Once Amex releases my money, I'm racing to an ATM to yank out my cash, and then I'm cutting up my Serve card. I would advise anyone considering opening a Serve account to consider alternatives like Greendot.

Can not use the American Express Card from Hewitt Jackson anywhere which makes no sense. I finally went to Walmart and the machine said I took out more than I did. This is so upsetting. Im sick of getting ripped off by these companies. People do not get the American Express card ripoff. Most of the fast food chains do not even take the card now. Thats real bad. Im praying they give my money back.

For my son's birthday he wanted more than anything a new BMX bike frame. Since I was getting my taxes back I told him I would do this for him for his birthday. We go on the bike site, put in all of the information using the AMEX card, the website says "technical error try again." We try again 2 more times getting the same error message. Not realizing that AMEX is taking and holding the funds for these transactions that are not completing!! I call them and the bike company immediately following seeing the funds on hold, the people from AMEX told me "The transaction did not complete. Your money will be released within the hour."

Here I am 9 days later with $1400 still on hold. I have called AMEX numerous times, they keep telling me they have not received notice from the bike shop's bank saying they declined the purchases, however, the bike shop sent me the declined notices for all 3 error messages. So how do I have this notice yet AMEX does not? In the meantime, my car insurance has lapsed, my rent is late and we have no food in our house!! All because I wanted to do something nice for my son for his birthday. I am so screwed financially because of this mess, I don't see a way out nor can I give my son this gift that he so badly wanted. I was told by 3 people and a supervisor that I would have my money within 8 days. I'm on day 9 and still nothing.

I have contacted my attorney. We have to wait the full 8 days before I can file my complaint, so tomorrow if my money is not in my acct, I will be following through with my lawsuit against AMEX! They cannot hold your money without just cause, oh and 2 of the times we tried to make our purchase we used the wrong security code. So tell me again, how can you hold money where one, wrong security codes, two no purchase was made and three you received notice from the other bank showing declined all 3 times. This isn't even the first issue I have had with this card. First the card wasn't working at all, then if we went to a restaurant and spent $30 they held $60. I went back to the restaurant flipping on them for overcharging me. They called their cc company who told us on speaker phone AMEX is known for doing this. Buying gas instead of only holding $1 or the amount spent i.e. $20 they hold $40.

I will never again have my taxes filed by a company, only did this to try to get the early loan since I lost my job and really needed the money. So I in the end paid $450 to have chest pains from the stress, not able to give my son the one thing he desperately wanted for his birthday, to losing my car insurance being late on my rent and other bills. I've done my own taxes for years, just needed a little extra help this year and ended up in more of a bind than I can handle. As well as my broken hearted child. I will never use AMEX again and will make sure everyone reads these reviews before they do too! I can't wait to talk to my Atty tomorrow!

Back in January, my husband and I were pre-approved for a Jackson Hewitt Refund Advance. This was loaded onto an American Express Serve temporary card, and we were advised to sign up for a permanent card as soon as possible. I did so that day, using the Android Serve app, and they sure informed us that we'd be receiving a permanent card within 7-10 business days.

After two weeks, we still hadn't received the permanent card, so we called Serve's wonderfully outsourced customer service number. They told us that they'd indeed mailed a card, but they'd mail another one that day. We specifically asked if this would affect our full income tax refund, and the representative assures us that we would have no problems, that the unreceived card would be a non-issue. We did get a card in the mail, but didn't immediately activate it because of the IRS delays on tax refunds involving schedule EIC.

On Tuesday, February 21, he received a text message alert informing us that our federal income tax refund had been deposited into our account. I had signed up for text alerts when I'd originally applied for the permanent card back in December, so we got the kids out of school and headed to Walmart, in a joyful mood while shopping for much-needed kids' clothes. At the register, my husband's temporary card was declined. Thinking that it had been placed upon the permanent card, I immediately activated and registered it. That card was declined. Walmart suspended our transaction while I called Amex Serve's customer service line. In the meantime, I checked the mobile app I'd had on my phone. It gave me the account balance I'd been expecting.

The representative refused to talk to me at first, since I'm only the legal wife of the card holder. Okay, fine, my husband gets on the phone and verified his security questions. The representative asked for the card number... and it didn't match the card that had our entire tax check on it. They had loaded our money, almost six thousand dollars, onto a card we had never received. Now, to some that may not be a lot of money. To us, it represents a car, children's clothes, and perhaps a few small luxuries. $6000 is a third of my husband's annual income.

Needless to say, we were upset. They told us that we'd get nothing today, that they'd issue a new card within the famous 7-10 business days. We demanded to speak to a supervisor. This took twenty more minutes on hold, while my husband, myself, and our four children sat at Walmart, the kids wondering what was going on and why weren't they getting the clothes and shoes. The supervisor seemed sympathetic at first. She finally said that they would do twelve separate Western Union transactions to us so that we could have access to a majority of our money. She put us on hold while she went to get approval.

At that point, someone who said they were a manager came on the line, stating that that was impossible. They are limited to a SINGLE Western Union transaction per account lifetime. We had been on the phone for almost two hours at this time, all of it spent at Walmart with four kids. We accepted the Western Union, And he stated it could take 48 hours to go through. I exploded. A money transfer takes ten minutes, I argued, and if it were approved it needed to be sent NOW, not in two days. They were holding our tax refund hostage and owed us that much. Surprisingly, he put us on hold and returned with an MCTN, assuring us that our replacement card would arrive within 7-10 business days (I'd asked for, and been denied, 8 am overnight option). We picked up the money and for the kids' items.

On Friday, February 24, I was browsing the mobile app. There was an option to transfer money between Serve accounts using the PIN. I had the PIN for the temporary card, which apparently transferred over to the lost card, so I brought the idea up to my husband. We decided to call Customer Service before doing anything to ensure we wouldn't be wasting our time. After 20 minutes on hold and another lengthy explanation of our issue, we asked: could we purchase a new Serve card that day and transfer money from the account with our money on it to the purchased card. He said we could as long as the email address and account holder's name were different.

We rushed to Walgreens and bought a Serve card. I applied for a permanent card using my name and e-mail address, then initiated the Send Money transaction. I received a confirmation email, but when we tried to use the Accept button, it was grayed out, unusable. Cue another call to this oh-so-excellent Customer Service line. After the now-expected 20 min hold, we explained the situation yet again, since they apparently don't make notes of customer contacts (or they don't read them, or a combination of the above). They said that you can't use the Send/Request Money features on a temporary card; we had to wait (You guessed it!) 7-10 business days for MY permanent card to arrive!

We melted down at this point. After escalating to yet another manager, he said that he was going to get an exception approved for a $2,500 Western Union transfer for us because it WAS Amex Serve's fault this had happened in the first place. He did warn us that it could take up to 48 hours, but his demeanor suggested that approval was all but guaranteed. With this in mind, we agreed to wait, as he said he would call my husband back as soon as he got word, and if he didn't, my husband was to call Customer Service back the next afternoon. No call occurred.

So today, Saturday, February 25th, we borrowed money to take our kids to the yearly circus (it's been a tradition for five years). After my husband got off work, he called Customer Service. A supervisor there told him that he'd been approved for another $300 transfer, but she had no MCTN. They would call back with that information. My husband asked that they try and do so before 4 pm (this was at 1 pm), as we were taking the kids to the circus and they look forward to this every year.

4 pm... No phone call, no movement in the account. We call yet again. A representative tells us that it will take up to TEN DAYS for this money transfer (that was initially asked for because of our having to wait 7-10 business days for the replacement card...) but she seemed very unsure of the entire situation (that we had to explain again). She then revealed that NO REPLACEMENT CARD HAD BEEN MAILED. So, we asked for a supervisor. We spent forty minutes on hold, arriving at the circus, trying to budget food and admission with the money we had had to borrow from my husband's mother for this once yearly outing. A kind woman handed us a few discount coupons, making our financial situation a tad better but we were still unable to buy any food, drink, or souvenirs from the circus... We had to save what was left for dinner and gas.

Just before the circus started a supervisor got on the line. I wasn't present for the conversation because I'd taken my children into the building. I saved a seat for my husband and tried to enjoy the show, despite my kids' desire for what every other family seemed to have (drinks, light up toys, etc, all things I could have gotten had Amex not screwed up my tax refund). Thirty minutes into the show, my husband returned. He told me that they had suddenly referred him to the Fraud Department, who had now locked our account until he returned a signed affidavit (which would take... guess how long! to arrive). They would not send any transfer, any replacement card until this was done, despite no movement on the card, no transactions whatsoever, no disputes filed except for us wanting access to the federal tax refund that had been deposited on the 21st.

We had to get a car on extremely short notice with extremely unfavorable terms right before our refund came in so that my husband could get to work (a 30 mi trip one way). Our tax refund was to pay for this car and get us out of the outrageous $200/wk payment plan we had to agree to. Additionally, we had to replace our washer and dryer in January, so we went to a rent to own store and got a set, telling them we intended to use the early payoff option that reduces the price by a lot. We have an extended family of ten, so we required a more expensive washer/dryer set simply because of efficiency and workmanship.

Amex Serve's actions during this are screwing ALL of this up. It's causing considerable stress upon myself and my husband, not to mention my kids overhearing our numerous phone calls to their outsourced customer service center. They all say they're sorry, that they apologize for the inconvenience, yet none of them actually do anything to rectify this issue they caused. Promises to call us back don't get kept. We're told different things by different representatives. Their Twitter service is a joke; they told me to call after I told them that calling did me no good. I'm going to lose the car. I might lose my W/D set.

None of this is our fault and they seem adamant about denying us access to what is rightfully ours. Tomorrow (...today, it's almost 1 am on Sunday, Feb 26th) I am going to call Jackson Hewitt for their opinion. Then I am going to call Serve and attempt to completely close out my account, demanding a paper check be mailed... Bet it'll take 7-10 business days if they allow it at all. I can't see them as being able to deny the closure. Surely, they can't force me to be a customer?

Stay away from American Express Serve if you like having access to your money.

I deposited a check to this card and have been waiting 8 business days for it to clear. When I originally called I was told that the check would clear in 48 hours. Five days later I called back and was told that the original rep was wrong and had no business telling me this. They said that the first check deposited can take 10 business days to clear. I was told it is in the fine print after you deposit a check. Had I known it would take 10 BUSINESS days to clear I would never have deposited it on the card. Amex needs to make their fine print available prior to submitting checks. They need to state this in the terms in conditions on their website. When you search their website this is nowhere to be found. It isn't helpful to see after I've already deposited the check. It also amazes me that half the reps are giving incorrect information to their customers with no desire to fix their mistakes or misinformation.

I ordered my American Express Serve card on 27 January 2017, the same day as I filed my taxes. I received my Federal Tax return on 20 Feb 2017 but cannot access funds because I have not received card. I called American Express Serve and was notified that they didn't send my card until my taxes came in and I would have to wait an additional 7 to 10 days. This sounded intentional. This is really unacceptable and why do they need to hold my funds for 7 to 10 days?

After reporting fraudulent charges for someone using my card, my case was reviewed and my account was suspended despite AE advertising 100% fraud protection. The customer service is someone in far East Asia who sound like they just woke up out of bed and was given a 25 minute crash course in English. I'm beginning to think American Express's own employees are giving out the card numbers and the fraud and corruption is internalized. If you have this card get rid of it and do not give out your personal information to customer service. Ignore this warning at your own peril.

I've had my Serve account for a year now. It's been OK no problems, they lie to you say you can get your money two days early. Lie. So I get paid every other Friday. Well today apparently they are experiencing "high volumes of direct deposit" today so my check is on hold. I'm pretty upset because I sent my refund to this card and now I wish I didn't because I want to cancel this card so bad! You can't even pay things online with AMEX. It sucks really. Don't get this card! They rip you off, the people rude. And you have to wait until the end of the business day to get paid! When you are supposed to get paid in the morning! Everything will be closed by the time I get paid and it's truly upsetting! If I could give ZERO STARS I would in a heartbeat! AMEX sucks credit or debit wise.

On January 25, 2017, I went to my local Walmart store to withdraw some cash. Instead of getting the amount I requested, I got a receipt. The receipt shows an "error" message and also shows that no money was dispensed. Made a dispute with American Express Serve. Phone call #1, was telling me to expect an email showing my how to go about making my dispute. Another phone call was made on January 30, 2017 to follow up on the email. The rep tells me that an email was sent. When I told him I never got it, he said that they weren't allowed to send out another email because of security reasons and to call back on February 7th. Called again on February 3rd regarding another situation and wanted to check on the email that I still had not received regarding my dispute. This particular rep told me, that they are indeed allowed to send another email out and it would take 24-48 hours before I received it.

3 days later, no email in sight. Called them again on February 6 and this rep. told me everything that I needed to do in order to make my dispute and the fax #. Got to work and faxed my dispute. A few hours later, I get an email saying that my dispute was denied because the money was dispensed. The receipt that I provided them showed that no money was dispensed at all. Every single rep that I spoke with told me verbatim, "we'll temporarily will give you the money back until we're done with our investigation". I find it odd that you conclude a dispute within a few hours when I still haven't received an email with instructions on how to proceed with my dispute.

When I called the ATM company, Pam from Customer Care stated, "American Express would have to contact them in order for someone to go to that particular ATM and get the transcript to see what happened". She even told me that the transaction was an EFT. I'm very disappointed with American Express Serve. Although it's about the $300.00 that I never received, it's also about the principle. I sent letters and the receipt showing proof and they won't budge.

Yes, my tax refund posted early. But watch out!! I spent 10 minutes on hold & then another 15 asking very specific questions about how I withdraw those funds. The rep told me to link my Serve to my checking and after transferring the funds that way, that definitively YES the funds would transfer immediately. As a backup option and for future use, he also told me to take my card to any Walmart and for up to $9 I could withdraw up to $5000. NOPE!!! I linked my checking and it told me to wait 4-5 business days just to verify the test deposit and another 4-5 business days for each transfer. So I drove 20 minutes to Walmart to withdraw the funds that way and they didn't know what I was talking about!! They swiped my card with $3000 on it and the message said the card is not eligible for cash!!

20 minutes later a different rep told me that the first rep was wrong; that I need to get an online code first and to - get this - call AMEX cust support while at Walmart so they can talk to them. (After holding for how long?) They are holding my money hostage. They have wasted hours of my time. And I am accumulating late fees on the payments I need to have made with the funds they are refusing to release. This is 2017!! There is NO excuse for this level of incompetence. DO NOT have your money transferred to this card.

I have been a customer with Amex for a couple years now. I use their Serve Card, it has been very helpful to me, Until as of recently. I will Lay out the issue from start to finish. January 18th, 2017 I was shooting a music Video with (Smokeproductions) and wanted to have some behind the scenes photos, so I requested a photographer (CnyceProductions). I paid them both separately $100, thru PayPal. (Smokeproductions) Received his (CnyceProductions) Did not. The email I sent the money to he does not use any longer. Due to fraudulent activity. I call Paypal to resolve the issue. I tell them "Hello, I sent money to a email that is no long in use. How can I get my money back?” They say it should just bounce back if the email is no longer in use. I Say "fine, cool.”

A Couple days past, I call again, this time I speak to a Supervisor. He explains to me, that (CnyceProductions) email is locked due to fraud activity, that I would have to reach out to my bank, to get the funds back. On January 24, 2017 I call at 2:49 to file a dispute for the (CnyceProductions) PayPal transaction. Seeing as it was a unused email and the photo guy didn’t get his money, and I am out of $100. The Disputed transaction is for (Smokeproductions) not for (Cnyceproductions). Which I called and stated. But I recently learned from their employees that on their end it only says “PayPal” so they unknowingly just chose a $100 transaction and disputed it.

I call right back at 3:06 and calling back to say "Hey. Wrong transaction." I have called on multiple occasions. I Called on Feb. 1st to cancel the dispute, finally, they said it was canceled. Then Friday February 3rd I get an email stating that my account is suspended. And I cannot touch my money for 7 to 10 business days. I just got paid and have bills and can’t pay them because they filed the incorrect dispute for the wrong transaction, and I am be punished for a mistake they made. I am extremely upset. Their customer service is absolutely awful. I was on the phone for 2 hours, to speak to someone who could help, and I have not be helped. I am not happy, they have put me in a hole. I will have no money for 7-10 days.

I have used this card for four years until recently. I had fraudulent charges on my account that I reported in real time and as they were happening. Amex Serve said the charges were not fraud even though I had proof from the merchant that the charges were fraud. Serve closed my account and refused to accept the refund of the charges from the merchant. They are refusing to provide information they used to determine the charges were valid when the merchant and I both provided proof they were not.

I do not feel my personal data is safe neither are purchases protected with this card. It seems the consumer is punished when they are a victim of fraud with this card. I would not advise anyone use this card because you may lose your money and personal data compromised. American express Serve will not help you recover either. Capital one and Citibank offer better products and even more, the American Express Credit cards are way better than this prepaid mess. Consumer beware and run away from this card, and run fast.

I have called him several times over the past two weeks. Needless to say nobody could straighten out the problem on their website which I could see my statement is indicated to me I have to pay a $117.64 amount on February 14. Unfortunately that amount was paid on January 3 the end of the statement period and I paid $ 117.91 which I was told that was the statement balance so I overpaid a few cents. They can't even get that straight. I have proof of it. They thanked me for the payment. My next payment is due February 14 which was scheduled for February 3. I called up and tried to explain to them the situation about the statement. I was told they would transfer me to tech support. Get some young man came on the phone. I couldn't understand him because they outsource all their phone calls. All he was doing was reading the statement. He had no idea what was going on. Clueless.

I asked for tech-support not customer service in different countries. When I first called the receptionist I had indicated to the situation. She said she was switching to tech support and that the system is being upgraded. They told me that three months ago. So the situation is not straightened out, payment due is wrong, date is wrong. When I pay off these charges which will be paid in full I'm closing this account. I had months of this aggravation. Nothing they do get straightened out. I guess outsourcing is cheap because these people have no knowledge at all.

On Jan 24, 2017 I proceeded to use the cash checking feature that allows you to deposit a check into your account by indigo which takes a picture of your check and then deposits it to your account for a fee of 5.00. I was able to complete all steps until the end when I received an error stating I needed to submit a copy of the voided check, which I already did and then the error said, "Sorry for the inconvenience but you will need to call." The check had already been approved and the picture of the voided check was confirmed by the program. This happened twice.

Also, when it was declined, the amount was 35.00 that was declined, not 40.00 which was the amount of the check. What happened to the 5.00? They kept it for services that were not received. I gave the check back to the person who wrote me the check and was not able to resubmit the check back for a second time. When brought to their attention of the 5.00 they changed the subject. They are ripping people off for this fee and will not close the account. You either have to go online and wait 7-10 days after receiving this check to cancel or call them. In my case, it was for a measly .53 cent refund. Their system is not reliable and they are making money on services that are not reliable.

I called several times after being hung up on! They steal your money and tell you wait 30 days! The call center reps and managers have no customer service! Last week I swiped for $417 and the put it on hold, this week I did the same thing. They took out $469 and told me "oh we'll wait till it the remains is back in your account!!!" Wait, I never authorized $469 charge only $417 wtf!! What was the difference between this week and last week!!! There was none!!! How is it you can steal my money from me and tell me wait!!! Never seen anything like this before!!!

I have had AMEX for 30 years, that is until today... Last year I contacted the concierge to take advantage of so well advertised - was on hold for over 1 hour! This is for $450 fee a year (platinum card). Downgraded to green card last August. I did not feel like changing all the account information for recurring charges. I expected bad service, but for substantially less money ($95/year) - I WAS WRONG! Representatives are well trained to APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY! Waste of your time is beyond your imagination waiting to be switched between different "teams" - worthless.

AMEX is still a problem with being accepted overseas. Why pay annual fees? For what? There are plenty of cards with no annual fees and 6.6% interest. I got one! It is a beauty. And the customer service - EXCEPTIONAL - thank you CITI! On the last day decided to cash in my rewards. Guess what? The site is not working. What do you get from the reps - well trained profused apology and "0" result and you spend another 30 min. on the phone. If I did not have other cards, I would have been stranded while on vacation. Different reps were feeding me all kinds of stories - all different. The new card was sent/received well after I came back from a 3 week vacation, I was without a card for a month! I asked to prorate my membership fee. The answer was no. I will collect it through small claims court, but...

American Express service is a RIP-OFF! All they do is steal your money and lie about giving it back! 312 dollars was taken from me and it's been a MONTH!!! Every time I call it's one lie after another! I don't recommend anyone to do business with them!!! I regret the day I put one dollar on that account. Since they want to continue to lie I have started the process of a lawsuit against them because I don't play about my money and I don't like being lied to!!!

Someone hacked my account for 1500 bucks and first time I called I was assured I would have it back by yesterday. Nothing. I call today and have to go through a lot of questions then today they CREDIT one of the thieves with my money. Now I have to wait 10 business days which is the 20th. How do they expect me to pay my bills??? I am so upset and a nervous wreck!! I Did Not Verify Any Of This. Look at my record from 2014 since I have been a customer. I have never added over $50.

I reported several charges on my account that were not mine. I live on the East Coast and there were several charges from Walmart, itunes and a restaurant in California and Nevada. I called to report the claim and was told that the charges would be covered and I would receive my money back. Within 48 hours I received an email stating my claim was denied and I had to write corporate in order to find out why. Luckily I had printed a report of all the transactions while I was on the phone with the representative because when I tried to access my account to see if there was a phone number for corporate I had been locked out of my account!!!

I wrote the corporate office to get a report on what basis they were able to decide to keep my money and I never received anything! I tried calling the number back and you get a bunch of uninformed customer service representatives. The "Supervisor" Alvin even told me that it was my responsibility to get my money back from the merchant!! I tried to re-explain to him that I live on the other side of the US and just like I didn't jump on a plane to go to Walmart when I have one 10 mins down the road, I cannot jump on a plane to dispute this with the merchants. I told him that the card is covered by insurance that it is the responsibility of the card provider to properly dispute and return the money to consumers when there is fraud. He disagreed. I will continue to fight to get my money back and American Express should be ashamed that they are providing such terrible service to consumers.

When looking at the issues people are having with AMEX and the apparent lack of response or just plain fraud by their customer service is shocking. I have been an AMEX cardholder for years and have excellent credit and until recently have had nothing for praise and respect for the brand. So rather than relate the recent very bad customer service I have received like being ignored and lied to I would like to offer you a solution that I have used in similar situations that actually works. Companies like Bank of America and AT&T.

All states have a small claims court and process. You can find out the process for your state by doing a search online. The process is simple and not expensive. In the state I am familiar with you can file for up to $5000 (and I do suggest you go for the max and let the Judge decide the award). You simply fill out a document and describe why you think that AMEX owes you money and costs (and possibly damages). It costs a small amount of money to file it with your local court ($35 or so) and then you send it via registered mail to the company registrar that you can also find online (this is where they must receive this sort of document). Again in the state that I know best they cannot be represented by a lawyer (in some states they can be) but in any case you DO NOT need a lawyer.

You simply are given a chance to present your case and evidence to the Judge and he/she will make a decision on the case. Make sure that you are factual and have documentation of your claim/s! And definitely be honest with the Judge in your answers. However, you may not even have to go to court as you very likely will get a call from an Attorney representing them offering to settle the case. If you can get a fair and reasonable settlement then by all means do it. HOWEVER I usually want to take it to court so that the verdict is on the record for anyone to see how you were treated by the company. The small claims system is a great leveler of the playing field and certainly get their attention! Letters to the CEO and others just do not get any attention or respect sadly. I hope that this is helpful and will give you a way to get your message to the company in a positive way.

I got a gift card from my daughter Serve/ American Express. After several months I wanted to use the credit card for the first time but the balance was "0". I was not aware of the monthly charge of $5.95. I called to find out why do they charge such amount. Their response was due to "maintenance on the account". I find it disgusting the way they rob without any logical explanation.

First off I'd like to say I'd give them a zero star rating if I could. Bought a ticket from Greyhound for 147 dollars and person that was going to come visit me had an emergency and couldn't come and let me know just hours after I paid for ticket online. Called Greyhound and explained situation and guy was rude but eventually agreed to refund my money and hung up on me so no further documentation or emails followed. Couple weeks later went looking for my money on serve card and it's nowhere on there so filed dispute and it's been two months. I'm on second dispute and they keep telling me they need additional documentation which I don't have so guess Greyhound wins since they need the money much more than I do. Tried reaching dispute Department and they won't let you speak to them. Crappy service from a card carrying American Express on it. Get a different card. Take my advice.

I have had SERVE for over 2 years. I use it to avoid using my bank/credit cards to avoid the possibility of them getting compromised. I had two charges show up on the card and I immediately called AMEX regarding the charges. I live in Miami and the charges were in California. I was told that they would immediately replace the card, and that I would need to call back once the charges had posted to the account since they were in a HOLD.

I called back two days later and each time I put in my card number, the system would reset and ask that I call back later. After several attempts, I was able to get someone on the phone and explained the situation. I was then informed that the quickest way to resolve the situation was to contact the merchants where the card was used in California and ask them for a refund. When I said that did not make sense, they placed me on hold and never returned to the phone. I have made several attempts at contacting them but cannot get through their system. It is a minuscule amount ($100) but it is the principle behind it. After reading some of the other postings here, it seems that is their standard practice.

Wanted to go to a prepaid card because I don't like using my bank card. Even had my employer set up direct deposit on it to get paid a few days earlier. Everything had been going great for months. Was able to go to atms, withdraw money out and go on about my day. Last Wed Dec 8th I tried to withdraw 620.00 dollars out and nothing comes out. Says transaction was cancelled and machine is currently out of order so I am like ok, go to a ATM down the street try and pull money out.

They say I have exceeded my limit so I am like 600 plus may be too much so I tried again with 400 and got the same message. So I said "let me see what's going on"...logged into my account and lo and behold it was a -620.00 out my account. So I go back to the first ATM and the ATM machine is not out of order anymore so I am like WTF is going on. Call the Serve card, told them what happen, they tell me to go into the bank in the morning and I filed a dispute on the phone that night.

They sent me a email with more information they needed so I filled that out the next morning and fax it over. Went into the bank after that and told them what happen and they tell me my bank who the card with have to file a claim & I am like "it's your damn ATM you have cameras you can't count the damn machine or view the cameras. This ridiculous. I went in 3 hours late to hear this. So I call the Serve card again and told them what just happen and they reassured me that it will be handle. Here it is Dec 12, done call 7 times since then and all they can tell me is the 21st is when the people will email with something or with a provision credit until they finish investigating. I SAID I WANT MY DAMN 620.00 not a provisional credit.

I asked them why is it no direct number to the people investigating my matter and why haven't they been in touch with me or speak to me. I shouldn't have to wait all this time to get my money back to me or for you all to investigate and I should have a direct number to those people. I shouldn't have to wait till 21st. So me I want to Google dispute with Serve and why I do that I hear about people accounts being closed, them losing money and that's just pisses me off more so I call them back and I tell them if I don't get my 620.00 I am getting a lawyer and I am suing them and that bank machine who didn't disburse my cash because I told the reps I read the reviews and all.

Haven't help anyone fix their issue from what I am reading and I am now going thru that. So to anyone who wants to get a prepaid card just to be more safer please don't just use your bank you bank with because these prepaid people seem to be just ripping hard working people off and we can't do anything about it. AMERICAN EXPRESS IS A BRAND NAME & they should read this reviews and take care of their people even if they let a sister company use their name. They should have. Their business live by the same standards. American Express do. It's no damn reason people should be going thru this non sense and their issues not being resolved and people accounts just being closed.

It's enough people with complaints that this company should be investigated because it's ridiculous. But DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU and you don't want to experience what others are going thru or is going thru right now. We entrust these people with our money and if something bad happens we should have direct contact with a person who is handling the case and we should be spoken or given updates daily and they shouldn't be able to just hold off till they feel it's right and then send you a email with the conclusion. I wish I had read these reviews before I went with this card because I would have never sign up for it. PLEASE BEWARE PEOPLE BECAUSE MY ISSUES HASN'T BEEN RESOLVED. JUST THE BS RUNAROUNDS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE.

Yes, they have free loading and yes, POS purchases are free but cash back isn't allowed so that they can charge you an outrageous $2.50 plus the ATM you are using charges you. So, you're paying about $4.00 - $4.50 every time you need cash. They are supposed to have a Free ATM network, but it's pretty non-existent and if you are lucky enough to find one, it doesn't work. Your money also isn't protected from fraudulent merchants. I placed an order and was promised a refund from the merchant. After a few days I contacted AMEX and they told me to reach out to merchant again, they probably forgot and to check again in a week. I checked back a week later and was told they would continue with dispute but to call back in a month. A month later, they denied my dispute saying that since Pizza Hut didn't return to pick up incorrect order, I am responsible and they refused to give my money back. Needless to say, I no longer use their service.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.
  • Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.
  • Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.
  • No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.
  • Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.
  • Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.
  • Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.
  • Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.
  • Best for Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Compare Prepaid Debit Cards