1.06/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

American Express Serve

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

92 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have been a customer for while, and have never experience: I made a return on Saturday, September 30th at 7:30 PM to Banana Republic. It's sad to see this card company lie to me as I have my receipt. The customer service rep said since it was only October 2 when the return happened it will take seven business days. Now this has never happened with Bluebird. Then I heard Banana Republic have not released the funds. I called Banana Republic customer service and the funds are released. I called Bluebird back and now I am hearing they are reviewing the return to make sure it's legal. This is **. I am canceling my direct deposit and stick out with my real bank. They can have the $31.16- Oct 02 2017 Merchant Credit Hold for Review - BANANA REPUBLIC US 81 PROCESSING - $31.15.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I checked my balance after getting $20 in gas and there were 2 holds for $85 and one for $100. So I called. I was told they would remove the $100 charge but the $85 charges would probably resolve themselves. Well they didn't, and then SIX more fraudulent charges showed up essentially cleaning me out. When I called back I had to speak to 6 different people and the result is - I was able to dispute the two charges that already posted, but I have to wait to dispute the others until the money gets taken. I am completely broke until this gets resolved and reach dispute can last 10 to 45 days. I will be getting rid of this card the second I get my money off of it. I will never recommend this service to anyone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I went to the ATM to get money out the ATM and not distribute the money. They gave me a receipt saying that transaction cannot be completed but for some reason American Express still took the money off my card and told me he would take 10 to 45 days to resolve. It took me two seconds to call the merchant and get the information that I need. They're just taking forever just because. If I were you I would not get a card from them. They do not care about anything you have going on and they will not give you your money back until after 10 days even if it is their fault.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I was notified that there was suspicious activity on my Serve Card by their ** offshore customer service rep, so I instructed them to cancel my card, send me a replacement, and to FREEZE my account so nobody could mess with my account until I activated my replacement card... While my account was 'frozen', I had $4,410 stolen off my Serve card by someone online... Exactly HOW they were able to steal $4,410 while my account was frozen and I had no actual active card, I was never told...

I reported this fraudulent activity to American Express Serve Card's Fraud Protection Investigate Dept., on Aug. 16th, and on August 29th, one of their Fraud Investigators told me the investigation was 'resolved' in 'my favor' and the $4,410 would be returned on to my card the following day as a 'probationary credit'... The next day, (Aug. 30th 2017) and now an equally trained Fraud Investigator told me a completely different story... This time, I was told that the investigation was NOT complete, and it had been 'escalated'...

About 10 minutes later, I got 4 emails from American Express saying 'I HAD VIOLATED THEIR TERMS (15D) AND THEY HAD PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED (closed) and the $500 I had on my card would be mailed to me after they waited for any pending transactions to complete... Again: They denied my claim, and closed out my card with my cash on it. Do not... I repeat do NOT use this crap card. They simply didn't have any incentive to give me my stolen $4,410... They know EXACTLY who stole my money... But they found it easier to rip ME off... ** them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I used to love this card. It even sent me 10 dollars one time because the ATM wasn't working. I had no problems up until recently. Some bills say they are paid when they are not. I almost got my car repossessed because the payments said they were there and they were not. I called over and over again trying to get something done about it and every time I called it was a different person and had to give all my info all over again. OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.

One wire payment for 500 didn't make it but the one after it did make it. How the hell is that possible? Then I found out more bills said they were paid and they weren't. They did their investigation and said that the funds still hadn't arrived and that if I wanted the money back to call. So I did and I was told it was already closed and I had to open another claim. What in the hell is going on??? I am so disgusted with this card that once this is straightened out I am done with this card.

STAY FAR AWAY PEOPLE... I don't know what happened to this company but it clearly doesn't have the customers best interests at heart. If you like getting yourself so worked up that you feel you're gonna have a heart attack then go ahead and get the serve card. I am DISGUSTED!!! I curse the day I ever got this piece of crap card... NEVER AGAIN. My credit is now bad again thanks to these douche bags. And I trusted this card to pay my bills on time... NEVER AGAIN!!! And I will be contacting corporate and my lawyer...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

On August 24, 2017, I decided to check my account to see if my direct deposit had come in by using the text to Serve service. I, in turn received a message back saying, "Serve: Sorry, it appears the following Cards ending in ** have been locked. Please call the number on the back of your card to unlock your account." So I followed the directions and this is what happened: I stayed on the phone with a representative who had no more than a script to repeat over and over again no matter what I said to her. After about 15 minutes of the runaround, I decided to ask for a supervisor. She said the issue with my account is that I tried to draw funding from a source that they could not verify that I held an account with. I realized my mistake was that I chose the wrong card when trying to fund the Serve card from another direct deposit from another employer in my Rushcard.

I had two listed and I never had been able to disable the Suntrust Bank account number from being listed in Serve as a funding source from years ago. Subsequently, I accidentally chose it at that point before I was locked. I admitted to my mistake when I realized the number she read was not the account I fund from regularly. So she started her script again that a supervisor would call me within 24 - 48 hours... Well, that is when I asked for a supervisor. I was put on a hold for about five minutes and she said that he was on another call and that he would call me back in thirty minutes or I could hold. I asked to hold but she acted like she forgot she gave me the option to hold and told me that he "would call me back and thank you, have a good day, goodbye."

I patiently waited as I continued my evening. I cooked, no call, I fed the family, no call, I watched a Netflix show, guess what? So I called... Same rigmarole with a new customer service rep and then she tried to tell me that I never called earlier in the evening and the record shows no notes that a supervisor was to call back. Well, I use the ACR phone call recorder app on ALL of my phone calls and I threatened her that I could let her hear the previous call. Suddenly the conversation changed, oh I'll see if he can come to the line right now. Please let me put you on a brief hold. Brief? I held for almost 40 minutes as I cleaned up and watched the news. Finally I hung up and tried to call back and suddenly the call would only go through to the prompts to enter your card number and code from the back, tell you a representative would come to the line and then it immediately disconnects.

As it was late, I decided to take a crack at it first thing this morning. Well, the same kept happening on their 1-800 number but I chose to go ahead and try calling their direct Utah number. It put me on hold for 10 minutes and then it disconnected at once. I called back repeatedly and each time thereafter, it started doing the same thing as the 1-800 number: disconnecting when being told that you will be connected to a representative and that your call is very important to us. Important... I did some research last night found this site with many complaints similar to mine starting back to August 2016.

I agree with the poster that said that we should start a class action lawsuit. I also have a Rushcard and it worked and also we were given our monies back plus an I'm sorry compensation of $500 for some of us. It is worth a try and if we do it, you have my participation 1000%. After this is all over with, I will no longer try prepaid cards again. I use them to control my spending but this is TWICE in two years someone has messed with my livelihood and finances like that... If you are thinking of using Serve. RUN!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

This company is absolutely ridiculous. Charge on my account for 25.90 from Disney Movie Club that shouldn't have been there. Called them and amazingly they canceled the charge. No questions asked, 1-3 days back to card. Ok no problem. Now 4 days later I call Amex and I'm told "we can't help", we've received nothing from them to cancel the transaction so it'll be 8 freaking days. So stupid. I'm done.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have had this card for 3 years and I load a minimum of $1,000 a month therefore the monthly fee is always waived. I state this because I assumed with that being the case I wouldn't get such a hard time trying to resolve my problem. Problem is I went to an ATM machine 8/22/17 to withdraw $200 but never received the cash. The receipt displayed $200 requested but $0.00 dispensed. However on my Serve card $200 was debited. I spoke with a CSR and was told 24-48 hours for a dispute form via email. After arguing the fact that it should never take up to 2 days to receive an email, I received it the following morning, 8/23/17. I uploaded copy of receipt and dispute form first thing 8am 8/23. Today, 8/24/17 I was told it usually takes 45 days to complete investigation which is bull. We live in a world where nothing takes that long, period!

Then I was told perhaps a credit after 9/5/17 while they continue to investigate. My entire payroll check is currently being direct deposited onto this Serve card so I am not understanding why the card can't be credited the money during the investigative part. $200 may seem like pennies to the average person but I am working single parent and having $200 tied up is a hardship for my family! Then when you call there is a language barrier. There is not one single rep for this company based in the United States & sometimes it is difficult for the customer & the rep. American Express Serve does not care about long standing customers or your business whatsoever. Further more the rep was basically dry and no compassion about the fact I am out of $200 in which I never received. I gave them ZERO stars because it doesn't take that long to resolve anything period!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

So apparently my account was Fraudulently used of a total of $327.52. I reported it on Sunday filled out the proper paperwork "Declaration of Fraud form" and submitted it on Tuesday morning. By Tuesday afternoon their investigation team has determined that nothing was wrong with all transactions. Their investigation took them less than 8 hours to determine that? They investigated & verified 8 separate transactions in 8 hours, THEY MUST HAVE AN AWESOME INVESTIGATION TEAM. Mind you I was provided with an email stating that it can take up to 45 days for an answer.

I called to request on what violation did I commit and they could not provide that information. Apparently I must write to corporate to get an answer. I am highly disappointed and disgusted with customer service, the run around and care free attitude is a completely the reason why I will never deal with this company again. They love to refer to section 15D is their favorite loophole. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ACCOUNT, They will throw all the excuses in the books not to return your funds. Save your energy and TIME!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

American Express Serve is straight-up scamming people and stealing their cash. My account was frozen for some reason (I assume they didn't like me using the ATM often rather than the card directly) but all I received was a generic email. I've have called them about 6 six times in the last month and never gotten a straight answer, just that it was "under review" and they would get back to me. My last conversation with them ended with much anger on my part and a vow to hire an attorney. I suggest you never use their service as they are likely to steal your balance at some point and never even tell you why. I lost about $1000 thanks to these slimy scammers, which I may or may not get back via the legal system and many months of wasted time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

It's quite suspicious how difficult it is to actually talk to someone from this company. As soon as I can, I will be switching to another company and let everyone I know to NOT associate with Bluebird AMEX for any reason! If there was a star for "-10", I would choose that one.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Unfortunately, the quality of American Express customer service is getting worse day by day. Many years ago, the service was top notch. Now, the best way to get quality service is to either use the online account app, or the automatic computer system, when you call in. Speaking to an educated, properly trained representative is difficult. Many of them have strong language barriers, that creates miscommunication. Those who do speak clear English are often times curt and unhelpful. I am extremely disappointed in how poor American Express has become customer service wise. There was a time, about 15 years ago, (I've been a customer longer than that), where it was hard to get approved for an AMEX card. Thus, the level of service was high. Well, it seems that they have lowered their approval standards; and along with it, the quality of customer service.

I am tired of calling American Express customer service and being put on hold, because the rep is uneducated or not properly trained, to handle and resolve a question or issue that I have. I have been left on hold for several minutes, and no one comes back to the phone. So, I call back, and all I get his "Oh, we are so sorry for this one. How can I help you with this one..." Forget about asking for a supervisor. They will make every excuse in the book to not provide you with a supervisor. Or, they will pretend to put you on hold, then disconnect the call. It is very frustrating and I hope that by seeing all of these complaints on Consumer Affairs that American Express will get their act together. Because right now, it's a hot mess! I should be able to call AMEX day or night, and receive top notch customer service, better than what I will get from a robotic computer system!

Original review: July 2, 2017

American Express Travel Related Services Co., Inc. They stole my $2200 by shutting down my prepaid cards and accounts (Serve Card and Bluebird Card) for no real reason and they refuse to give me my money back!!! But I will fight back for my money and my rights and I have seen many people with the same issue, and we are trying to make a class action lawsuit for this!

Original review: June 26, 2017

I filed a dispute on 6/15/2017 for an ATM withdrawal. The money was not dispensed and the ATM told me I had insufficient funds but deducted the amount from my account. I was told I needed to file a dispute with the cardholder. So I did. Here it is 6/26/2017 and I've received no correspondence, no help, no nothing. Not even a temporary credit to help pay my bills. I mean it's a prepaid card for God's sake. You know I had the money on there and it's now gone. I was hopeful when I initially filed the dispute. Thinking it was a simple fix and that the process could not possibly be that convoluted but obviously it is. There is NO one to speak to except people with very poor English all the way in the Philippines. Meanwhile the actual department that handles disputes is in Utah and for some reason there is no way to contact that actual department. Only this lone phone number full of people who have no idea and don't even care what's going on.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I never have applied or gotten a Serve Debit Card but yet I keep getting emails about my supposed account and that the online statements are available. I can find no way to contact American Express Serve as all online methods of contacting them require me to login to my supposed account and calling just gets me an automated system requiring an account number to be able to talk to anyone. The FAQ on their website says they require email verification but I never verified any email for American Express. I have had this email account for many years and these appear to be legitimate emails from American Express. I would really like to stop getting these emails I just do not know how to contact them to get them stopped.

Original review: June 16, 2017

On May 27th I was emailed by Amex Serve indicating that my account would be suspended for a fraudulent charge that I reported to them. They then closed my account with my hard earned money still in the account. I was unable to use the card to get my funds and the customer service rep indicated that a check would be mailed to me in 7-10 business days. I never received the check. I've been on hold more for more than an hour with several reps and my issue has NOT been resolved. I call daily to check the status. They repeatedly attempt to reassure me that a check will be mailed but at this point, I do not believe them. This is the worst experience ever.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Card was compromised. A fraudulent transaction was processed via Stripe payment systems (online system used by many online mail order companies, e-commerce companies). The representative on the line was barely able to communicate and just kept parroting a telemarketing rhetoric. Offshore support with little or no understanding of the issue. Beyond disappointed. No common sense and a "nothing we can do" mantra.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had the card now for several months no issues. I sent my rent via bill pay. The payment arrived late. I received a late charge. The customer service rep explained to me that the fee would be added to my acct. That never happened. I was transferred to the dispute dept. The rep was rude and seemed distracted. The dispute was completed for the wrong date and wrong amount. I called back a second time and the dispute was completed via email stating that the payment was delivered and basically that was all they could do. I called back a 3rd time today and the rep was beyond rude and told me there was nothing that they could do and never looked my acct up, pretended not to hear me and ended the call. I was happy with my card until this happened. I am going to keep complaining until I no longer have air in my lungs. Extremely dissatisfied!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I got my Bluebird card in October of 2016. Figured I would use it for my tax return. BIG MISTAKE! I was happily spending my return on my bills and somehow, someone got my card number and started charging it for crazy internet stuff. (I never buy anything online, especially on my computer. Usually on my cell) I called customer service as soon as I found out. They were really nice at first. I had a sub account and my husband's name was on it and they said that his account wouldn't be blocked while I was issued a new card. Fast forward 48 hours later. I get an email stating that my account has been closed and all my funds will be mailed to me via check. I called customer service and asked why. They said that my complaint didn't follow the user agreement and that my account had been cancelled.

Another 10 days later I receive a check for $19 which was what was left in my account. My sub account that belonged to my husband had $1,500 in it. It never came. Mind you that this was in MARCH of 2017 and it is now the last day of MAY in 2017. They told me about a week ago that they are mailing me my $1,500.00. I have gotten nothing but the runaround since. I have called 3 times a week for the last 3 months with excuses. Like: We mailed it, we sent it back to the IRS, we are not sure of your situation. Blah blah blah. I finally had someone that actually called me back and let me know that they were issuing me a check that day and that it should be here within 10 days. They better pray that it's here by Friday. I will NEVER EVER USE BLUEBIRD AGAIN AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM IF THEY WERE THE LAST BANK ON EARTH. Your money is safer with a freaking teenager than them.

Original review: May 30, 2017

American Express will not remove a 30 day late payment which was for just $1 for some reason. They tell me their system won't allow making a change because it happened 3 months ago. I just found out because my credit score dropped dramatically. Now I have to live with this mark on my report for 7 years? This is unconscionable.

Original review: May 13, 2017

My card was stolen and was used and all of my money was gone off my card. Called them to my a complaint and do a fraud form. The form was done. They so called told me that they was doing investigation. They sent me emails saying 45 days from now not 10 days from now. They emailed me and told me that my account was permanently locked due to that it wasn't nothing wrong with the transactions. I'm trying to understand how it's not my card was stolen and used. They didn't want to help me. They didn't want to credit the amount that was took from me. They don't treat their customers well. They need this card shut down.

Original review: May 9, 2017

On May 1, 2017, State Farm Fire Casualty sent out a Direct Deposit to my Amex Serve account, in the amnt. of $1000. In order to receive my D. Deposit, you must call the number on the back of the Amex card, to retrieve your D. Deposit acct. and routing numbers. I listened to the numbers 5 times total, to make sure I did not get them wrong. I was able to give State Farm the D.deposit info and everything seemed to be going fine. On the 3rd, I called Amex Serve and they say they do not see anything pending, to wait one more day. I called Amex the next day and they noticed my Acct number was different than what I had provided them (your D. Deposit acct number is not the same as your card number). Amex told me that one digit that was a 4, was supposed to be a 0, and that they had rejected my D. Deposit.

I immediately assumed that I had MADE a mistake when writing down my Acct and routing number. So I called the card back to retry and it was still giving me a 4 instead of a 0!! I didn't make a mistake. I then called and listened again, this time, I used another device to record my phone call to the automated part that gives the D. Deposit acct number. After I had my recording, I called customer service back and explained. They said someone from tech support would call me and they never heard of this happening. Tech support called me and did a 3 way call to listen but of course they fixed the account number in the automated system first. (That explains why they locked my Acct. for about a half an hour.)

When tech support insisted I had made the mistake by taking down the wrong number, she said she could not issue a investigation ticket. I said, "Please listen to something first," and I played the recording for her over the phone, of me calling and the system giving the incorrect acct. number for Direct Deposit. She was speechless for a moment and then said she would write a ticket. In the meantime, I was facing eviction, my phone bill needed paid and I was limited on money. This was the reason I decided to use the D. Deposit, instead of waiting for a mailed check. I needed it asap.

On the 4th, State Farm was made aware when I called to let them know what was going on. They advised me that the $1000 was showing PAID. Amex said they rejected the $1000. State Farm reissued payment to me on the 5th of May. It is now 1:22 a.m. May 9th, 2017, STILL NO MONEY DEPOSITED OR EVEN SHOWING PENDING TO MY AMEX SERVE CARD. I still had to find a way to pay my lot rent as I am a mobile home owner and have eviction scheduled Wednesday the 10th. I've been out of work due to health and injury. We are a family of 5 with 3 children. I pray I am able to borrow the money, if it is not on my card by noon, or we will be losing our home and I'm not able to pay my phone bill, which I need for communication, to deal with the severe issues this has caused me and my family.

If I do not have $1000 by noon today, May 9, 2017, I will definitely be taking the steps to file suit. Thank God I have that recording, of their system giving me the incorrect number. That was the smartest move I've made yet, when dealing with other people messing me up. We need to shut down Amex Serve, period. I WANT MY MONEY. IF I LOSE MY HOME, I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL THEY ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE, WITH MY PROOF. I WILL MAKE SURE OF IT.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I recently had two experiences with them when $15-30 has been taken out of my account and no representatives could tell me where my money went and why was it taken. I never received my money back and they also lied about dispute policies. I had no problems with my account until I started receiving direct deposit to my card a year after opening my Serve account.

My recent experience was when I made a purchase with a merchant for $18 and American Express place the funds on hold for the merchant and removed the money from my account, three days later $15 was deducted from my account for that same merchant and when I contacted them about this issue the representative said that the $18 was placed back into my account because the funds had expired, but I was told multiple times before when I called about a problem before this one that funds remain on hold for 7 days until they are expired and released back into the account, so if the funds were placed on hold for the merchant already then why is it that my account was charged again and deducted for $15, which is less than the amount I was charged for by the merchant?

American Express Serve could not prove to me that the funds for $18 was placed back into my account and they also could not show proof where the other funds went or what happened to them, I’m pissed off because money continuously gets stolen out of my account that I work hard for and they just rip me off two weeks in a row.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Got the Serve card and signed up, but the 15 digit number won't work and of course I can't get a real person to help. I usually get knocked off when I call. Wish I would of read reviews before I wasted my money.

Original review: April 26, 2017

The customer service department was horrible with assisting me in obtaining my permanent card since my address changed. I was on hold for over 43 minutes waiting for a supervisor because the representative couldn't explain why the address wouldn't "verify"!! The call lasted over an hour before I was disconnected & when I called back, I was placed on hold again! The second time the hold was over 30 minutes just to speak with a supervisor?! This goes to show the amount of issues American Express Serve is having when one has to wait so long. I've gone through several address verification systems including the one used at my job & I was able to verify!

This is totally unacceptable to be on hold for extreme periods of time & without the permanent card I'll be subject to fees that I shouldn't be changed when being proactive with my account issues! I DO NOT RECOMMEND GETTING THIS CARD! I'm already having issues as a new account holder before I'm able to get access to their "full benefits".

Original review: April 19, 2017

I had my tax refund placed on the Serve card. The first card was sent to the wrong address. I called to correct the information and then had to spend 45 mins with cyber security trying to verify the address. After doing so I was told the card was being sent to the corrected address and to look for it in 7 - 10 business days. I called the next day to make sure they were sending it to the correct address and was told it was.

After waiting 2 weeks I call again because I still had yet to receive my card. I was told the card was again sent to the same address I told them was incorrect. How is it that I was transferred to cyber security to correct the address, spent 35 mins on the phone with CYBER SECURITY!!! Called the next day, told it was sent to the corrected address for them to again send it to the first address they sent it to. Now I'm told I have to wait another 7-10 business days? AMEX IS the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I will be contacting the BBB.

Original review: April 12, 2017

So, I got my taxes filed, got my refund back in a timely manner and had it deposited to an American Express Serve card. Around March 4th, I went and got a total of $44 in fuel and American Express Serve took out $90.83 for the purchase claiming it was a pre authorization charge that is set with the fuel company. But that once the transaction processed is get the money back but it would take 8 to 10 business days.

Nowhere I am a little over a month later and they've done it to me again. Different gas station, same fuel company but never had an issue with this station. I got $28.00 in fuel this time and I started with $83.31. So you do the math, because that's how much they took. Everything I had left till payday for $28.00 in fuel. Once again they blamed it on the fuel company. But I contacted the fuel company and did a conference call between them. The fuel company only shows $28.00. But American Express Serve is still placing blame elsewhere. Do not trust them. They are thieves. I now have no money if I need something for my kids until they decide to put back what they stole.

Original review: April 9, 2017

If I would have read all these negative reviews, I would have never gotten this card!!! They are crooks, stealing everyone's money!!! And yes I will be contacting BBB and filing a complaint and if I can sue them!! Anyway I noticed two transactions that weren't mine so I called. They cancelled that card and said they would send me a new one, which they did, but cancelled that one too! Saying that it wasn't fraud, blah blah blah, same crap they told everyone else!!! Anyway they are thieves!!! Yes, with all these 100's of complaints about them there should be a class action suit, and I am sure it will be soon, but not soon enough. ** company.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I have been a Serve customer for probably 6 years, and happy for the most part. I have had issues with identity theft on the past, so I will not use my debit card or credit cards for online shopping. I have used the Serve card religiously for online purchases for the last 4 years. So, last week, my card was compromised. I received an email that my email address had been changed. I immediately called and customer service was not very helpful. The gentleman spoke to me like he was reading from a script. He put me on hold, and came back to tell me that he called my phone number on file and left a code on my voicemail. He needed that code to verify that I was who I said I was. Problem with that was I had changed my phone number since opening the account and had not updated the number. They had no other way of account security. What if the hackers had changed my phone number too???

Long story short, I was able to get in touch with the person who has my old number and got the code I needed, and was able to get my account locked down and back under my control... or so I thought. The hackers made off with $1,963.00. I was told I would have to wait 10 business days while they conducted their investigation. Kudos to Amex for not taking that long. I received my money back in less than a week.

Now, fast forward to this week. I immediately pulled out $750 on Tuesday, then another $750 on Wednesday. Now it's Thursday (just after midnight here), and I received an email from Serve that I had changed my password!!! No, no, I did not! So I immediately call Serve, and while I am trying to get someone on the line, the emails are coming like crazy... Money transferred from my debit card, money transferred out, more money transferred out, my pin number changed.

Finally get someone on the line. She said that she locked my account, but by that point, they had wiped me out! Then, I am told I have to call back in the morning because the fraud department isn't there until 8:00 am EST. Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed, upset, and just plain mad!!! After last week's episode, I surely didn't think this could happen AGAIN!!! So, this time I am out $676.00. And I have to try and go to sleep knowing this. When I get my money back this time, I am gone! Is nothing secure anymore?

Original review: March 31, 2017

I received my tax return on my American Express Serve Card on February 16, 2017 six days after I filed. On March 30, 2017 I finally received my card after calling several times where I was repeatedly told that if I didn't provide my entire social security number they couldn't look up my account. I finally got through to some one who could look it up using my date of birth and the last four digits just fine but we got disconnected. When I called back the automated message said their server was down, after several repeated attempts I blocked my number and called again. My call went through the first time. They blocked my number! Amazing. Now 7 weeks later I have my card from when it was supposed to be sent out of Feb 10 2017 and my PayPal won't link it for risk of fraud. This entire company is a scam.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.
    • Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.
    • Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.
    • No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.
    • Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.
    • Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.
    • Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.
    • Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.
    • Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.
    Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg