3.6/5 (172 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: May 5, 2022

They've been holding my money since May of last year (2021). Refuse to tell me why. So I reached out to the federal reserve board, BBB, CFBP to file a complaint. and when I called SERVE today they told me they transferred my account to consumer relations. So I think everyone should continue to file complaints to get your money as well as STAND up to AMEX SERVE and their scams.

Original review: April 26, 2022

PLEASE do NOT go through the trouble of going with SERVE card. I cannot understand why AMEX would have their name on this card. It first started when we needed to use a decent amount for our down payment on a vehicle. They would not authorize the transaction and you could not speak to ANYONE! Now just recently we had a 1500 return that was done on the 13th of April...and processed on the 15th. WE called every single day and told multiple different things... "Your money will be available at 3:43 am". Then if they didn't like how frustrated you were they hung up on you. WE finally received our return on April 26th!! DO NOT USE THIS CARD. I know everyone wants an advance on their refund, BUT it is NOT worth the hassle and headache!!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I loaded my tax refund into their prepaid card from Jackson Hewitt and tried to transfer some of the money to my main bank account. And I wait 4 to 5 business days and the money never went to my account. And I did verify the test deposits before I completed this transfer. These people are crooks. I'm not sure what scam operation they're running. I called customer service and it's very strange people answering the phones. They don't care if they speak English very well. They said the money was put back on my card but I check my account and everything the money still wasn't there. And I looked at their transaction statement it doesn't show any transfer transaction or credit back to me. So I decided to put it in writing here. It is a month later and I still haven't heard anything back from them.

Original review: April 9, 2022

What was initially just a suspicion has recently been verified again and again. This company deducts small amounts from the accounts associated with these cards so that your balance always go down in a virtually unnoticeable way. 83 cents here or a dollar or so there. The way in which your online account profile is set up makes it hard to spot - i.e. - you cannot see more than the last four to five transactions at once. I will never use Jackson and Hewitt again because they've associated themselves and their products with such a fraudulent card. I expect that they'll have a class action lawsuit some time in the future. If you are holding money on a Serve card, DO NOT. Transfer it to a legitimate bank account instead. They are thieves.

Original review: April 6, 2022

If I could give them a negative 5 stars I would...If I had only read the reviews before agreeing to have my income tax return sent to this card... EVERYTHING that customers have in previous reviews are NOT an exaggeration... If you want to talk to someone I'll tell you now they DON'T exist BUT if you are lucky enough to speak to one they don't seem to have a grasp of the English language or are no help at all.

Original review: March 29, 2022

This company by far has been the worst I have ever had to deal with ever in my whole life! I'm at the point of a nervous breakdown. Every day I hang up the phone with them I am in tears because not only have they not done anything but I am given the run around over and over. Meanwhile I can't get my money and get no help. Speaking to them is like as if I'm speaking to a dumb AI or someone who gives no effort or care to even do their job or help at all and like they are just reading a damn script!

I think we meaning all the people here and everywhere that this company has put us through all this emotional distress and mistreatment should all get together and get an attorney and file a lawsuit for the pain and suffering this company has done and put us all through. If anyone is interested in doing this with me you can email me at **. Let's a stop to the endless mistreatment and big companies putting us the average people through even more struggles as if we haven't all gone through enough these last two years and just barely making it now.

We have to sit back and allow our little bit of money we do have to care for our children and families to keep a roof over our heads is being allowed to do these things to. When will it end? I'll tell you when right now if we stand together and have our voices heard and make something get done about it the change needs to happen now I am tired crying every day while these people have control over my money and I can't even get the proper customer service!

Original review: March 23, 2022

Had no issues with this card until first time depositing payroll. The deposit was never added to my available balance. Broken English representative told me it may take 2-3 pay cycles to post. NEVER in my life have I heard something so asinine. Company payroll reversed the deposit and Serve double subtracted the amount leaving an insane negative balance and literally stealing the rest of the money I had in the account. Serve reps refuse to reconcile the account accurately and too dumb to understand the issue. Reporting to FTC and assertively going after this sorry excuse of a financial institution for damages.

Original review: March 15, 2022

This Company has no idea what they are doing! Freezing your account for no reason. Holding your money for 30+ days. Absolutely horrible customer service. Takes forever to get a explanation and then you get 3 or 4 different answers. I can't believe Amex would stand behind this company.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I go to Walmart to buy the serve prepaid card for 200.00 just to find out the 2 cards I bought had a 0 balance on each. No possible way to reach customer service. Go back to Walmart in greenwood South Carolina where I purchased these 2 cards. I was told there is nothing can be done about this. Said sorry you lost your 200.00. I will reach out to Walmart since they carry a brand with no active solution for my problem and after reading several reviews from people with the same issue something seems wrong that Walmart seems to consider keeping this card which in my opinion let's let Serve steal from our customers

Original review: March 9, 2022

I was on my vacation with my 4 year old daughter. Was left stranded sleeping at rest areas because of this card. Customer service keeps hanging up after waiting on hold for literally hours. They put a hold on my card for no reason. Then won't remove it. Want to send me a new card via mail and charge me $20 meanwhile I'm not home. Won't let me transfer funds out of my account. These people should be sued. I'm now home after a 5 day worst trip of my life. Just tried to take my daughter to Legoland.

Now I still can't get in touch with anyone to unlock my card or even send a new one. They put you on hold for over an hour then hang up. This has been going on for 5 full days! These people are evil someone should help! I should be able to sue them. They've taken thousands of dollars of pills money while most people are already short of money and they are hanging up on people..refusing to make it right. Shame on you American Express. You should be ashamed of yourselves

American Express Serve author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Serve Company Information