Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

American Express Serve Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Early on the morning of 12/9/19, I returned a purchase of $106.23 to the local TJMAXX & monitored my Amex Serve card online for my refund. On 12/11 the funds were listed as being "held", & when funds still weren't returned on 12/12, I called AmEx. AmEx insisted they'd been notified by TJMAXX on 12/11 that TJMAXX would be processing the refund, & TJMAXX had 7 days to do so, until 12/18. Throughout this phone call with two different customer service reps I had a very hard time hearing them, despite my in-call volume set as high as it could go, and had difficulty with their accents; almost as if they were deliberately being as vague as possible. Despite MY BEING DIABETIC, & HAVING NO FOOD OR MONEY FOR FOOD, THEY REFUSED TO RELEASE MY FUNDS. I told them I'd be posting this review and filing a complaint with the CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I can’t tell you how rude/evil/ dishonest American Express is. I contacted & cancelled my card almost two years ago. They continue to come up with phony charges with the hope I will overlook & pay. Happens almost every month. Each time they tell me how sorry they are and it will never happen again: then it happens. I suggest everyone switch to the Chase sapphire reserve.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I’ve had this Serve account for a couple years with no problems, then today I attempt to use the card. It declined. I called CS and I’m told, "Your account has been closed due to a Technical glitch when you opened up your account," that’s all they would say except, "We will mail you a check." Straight BS. On top of that I have another large deposit that’s trying to be deposited into that account. Now I’m stuck until that deposit is returned to the depositor. 3 weeks before Christmas.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My card was hacked 3 times already. Only occurs within 2 hours when my direct deposit is available! One transaction was for 20 cents then $30 bucks then $900.00 on Saudia Airlines!! I don't even have a passport!! AMEX is saying they aren't responsible so I'm fighting with the airline to refund. It's Thanksgiving day. No one cares! My birthday trip to LA is now ruined! I have no money. And this company could care less. I can't even understand these people from 3rd world countries. I understand they are making a living but stealing & selling info from hard working people is not the way.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I have been using Serve card for more than 5 years. Just about last night, I logged in to my serve account to transfer funds to my sub account to pay bills and was surprised seeing message upon login that my account is locked for security reasons. I called on the given number and was told that, "Due to system upgradation we were unable to verify your identity." I asked whether if they tried to contact me or sent me some kind of email or letter to which the representative on the call replied, "Sir I can't tell you anything more than that." What a surprise that was for me. Worst company ever honestly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

This is the worse prepaid card I have ever had. American Express served restricted my account now. Wont tell me why or how I am going to receive the money that was left in my account. They say there is no one I can talk to about this matter. No one I can email either. I have to write a letter and some one will contact me. No time frame. I am furious. My rent is due. My whole work check is on there. My uncle sent me money to save for him. I am so mad. This is not the card you would want. Customer service sucks. They barely understand and they always says there is no supervisor on shift to talk to or no matter when you call.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I selected this card partly as a result the NerdWallet review. My experience this product calls into question the company's ability to objectively review any financial products. This prepaid card is horrible in every way, with its overly restrictive withdrawal limits (including an obscure maximum withdrawal limit of $15K per month, which costed me hundreds of dollars in checking overdraft fees because I was unable to take money out of the Serve account for over a week), the loan shark level withdrawal fees, and the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I am making it my mission to let everyone I can across the globe know what a unethical this company is. Two suggestions - report them to the Consumer Finance Protection Board and do your own research; don't believe Nerd

Wallet!!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I went to withdraw money from an atm. I can only take 200 at a time at this atm. I started the transaction and got an error that said the card was restricted. The money never came out. That never happened before so I thought nothing of it. I tried again and got 200. Then I was able to take another 200 for a total of 400.00. When I left the store I checked my Serve balance, it showed 3 transactions of 200 each. So I was cheated out of 200 even though the first receipt said it was blocked. I called the atm provider and gave them the receipt information and they confirmed it was blocked by Amex. They didn't authorize the first transaction.

I quickly called Amex and they started with the games and runaround. I filed a dispute and they told me to wait 7 to 10 days and they might issue a provisional credit. I called today which is the 5th day, they told me the atm provider didn't respond to the claim. The atm provider told me they didn't get a claim. So I'm out of 200 to pay bills and they don't care. I had no problems with this card until now and it's a nightmare. Now I see what other people are going through. I'm going to wait a few more days. If I don't hear anything, I will need to hire a lawyer. They can't treat people like this.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

This is not a good card to get. I was on the phone with an agent & especially told him I wanted expedited shipping for my replacement card. I called back & was told that it would take 7-10 business days to get my replacement card so I have to go 2 more weeks to get my money off of my card. Do not get this card. The agents in the Philippines aren’t helpful. They don’t understand anything, they’re just useless. I opened a BB&T account to have an actual bank. They lost a customer due to their lack of concern & active listening to the customer.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

On 4-01-19 Fraudulent charges, disputes declined. New card mailed out. 5-1-19 New card suspended fraudulent activity. Told they would mail me a refund check on my balance of 1050.00. 6-01-19 No check, said they had to resubmit request to review account and unlock account. 7-01-19 Waiting on the re-submitted request to review account. 8-01-19 Called still no refund. My account is still waiting on review from American Express to Unlock. Called American Express, was told that they have nothing to do with serve and Serve had stolen my money read the reviews online. I did and I have been sick that serve could do this.

8-16-19 Email saying my account is ready to unlock just call. I’m told that my account is suspended and the will submit a request for review... 10-02-19 Still waiting on review of request on unlock my account. 10-08 -19 I was told they would submit a request for review to unlock my account. It should take 1-2 days. I said really Grace. I have been waiting 7 months... Balance is also lower now.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg