American Express Serve

• 5%
  • 1%
  • 84%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Reviewed June 18, 2024

Do not use these cards. I tried to register online, it didn’t work, I called the help line, they said to go to a store and buy a card, then it would work — so I did, then tried to register it and then again was unable to set up the account to manage the card. I called again and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Horrible product, horrible customer service.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 17, 2024

I filed my taxes through TaxAct. Through them I wanted to get my refund sent to me as opposed to having a 3rd party access my bank account. TaxAct then had my refund put through to Republic Bank, which was supposed to send the funds to American Express Serve. American Express never sent me my refund. Instead, I was given a customer service number that tried to sell me a medical device. I was never connected to a live person that should have resolved this for me. They have an endless loop of people who ask for my social security number and never put me through to someone who can tell me what happened to my tax refund. I have not received my refund yet.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
      Thomas increased rating by 2 stars.
      Customer Service
      After a positive interaction with American Express Serve, Thomas increased their star rating.

Reviewed June 1, 2024

Will never use Serve again. Bought a card in Fredericksburg Va and loaded $320 on it then the reason I got it for fell through and I believed I was getting scammed so I called customer service and had the card locked and when I tried to unlock it I couldn't and I was flat out told when a card gets locked you lose your money. Basically telling me they couldn't or wouldn't reverse the hold put on it. Contacting CFPB and writing reviews of buyer beware every chance I get to do it. There is no accountability for companies anymore and something needs to change. This isn't the end and I hope you swindlers know it.

Staff

Reviewed May 27, 2024

The reason I gave it a one-star is because I've had my card for over 8 years with them for the first time ever someone hacked my card and use almost $1,500 and after doing everything they told me to do telling me that they would give me my credit until the investigation is over when I did what they said they was going to do then they tell me that I'm not eligible for a credit which is 1400, that I'm out of for something that I did not do. I'm about to lose my place because of this and they don't care. All they kept doing is putting me through to representative to representatives and I do not think it's fair. I feel like it is very stereotypical. I feel like if I was someone else that my money would have been given back to me.

Reviewed May 26, 2024

This company needs to be closed down! When I got my taxes 3,000 was missing! They think we're lying!! How if I was in Houston and transaction were from SA! Trash place! They told us write a letter and send it to them. What is that gonna do?

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed May 25, 2024

1st thing pay as you go. You should not have to get a account approved. It's pay as you go. If your account doesn't get approved you can't withdraw money off the card so this is where it's a scam. These was made so you don't have to go through this crap. Can't pull money out that you put on there. Then they say they don't take the dollar and the money sure goes quick. One time the merchant doesn't hold money. The next they hold over 58 dollars. Why is that? They could not answer. I would not recommend this card or any card affiliated with them. It's a scam.

Reviewed May 25, 2024

No merchant at all accepts the card, they have a $7 or something monthly fee, customer support is non existent; every time I call the robot doesn't understand. I tried dialing in my SSN slow as possible and the bot didn't get it, card number too the bot just doesn't understand. The only way I found a way to use it was to withdraw the funds to my existing US bank account but now I can't even do that because I keep getting an error when I try logging in "Well, this is awkward. We’re experiencing some technical difficulties, please try again in a moment." It's been saying that for a month now..

Reviewed May 22, 2024

One of the most HIDEOUS companies I've ever dealt with. They put all their effort into support ONLY if you're still putting money in. They've been hounding me over something they messed up on for years (I went to cancel my card and they put me on 40+ min hold) and so they left the account open and have been charging me "dreaming" I'm going to someday pay them for being lazy.... riiiight. So I finally go back to deal with this situation and there's NO way to deal with it because their idiotic automated system isn't set up to support you UNLESS you're running more money through them. Getting actual issues cleared out doesn't have a "number" on the list of options.

First they ask for your social....then you're stuck. Because they want the number for a card I haven't used in YEARS so I have no CLUE what the number is..... and that's the end of the experience because there's no other options. So, no support, no resolution. I finally just blocked them on my email to deal with them. Nuff said?

Reviewed May 17, 2024

This card is the option to receive your tax refunds. I've used it before on previous years. This year has been nothing but "lost" card that wasn't mailed and everything being declined. I just want my money. Them They haven't proven to be trustworthy and reading these comments, I'm nervous. This is ridiculous.

Reviewed May 12, 2024

Stay away!!! I activated my card and they instantly took $10 when acct hadn’t been open a full day. Horrible customer service. Requested acct closure and they refuse to close it. “Technical difficulties”…

American Express Serve author review by Tammy Burns

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Tammy Burns Deputy Editor, Personal Finance

A former finance phobe, Tammy now devotes her career to ensuring that people don’t make the same money mistakes she once did. Her work has appeared in Fortune, the Toronto Star, Advisor’s Edge, Greedy Rates, and Money Under 30. She joined ConsumerAffairs in 2023. Tammy studied magazine publishing at Toronto Metropolitan University and has a BA in psychology from York University, and her earlier journalism took her from editing law books to writing restaurant reviews to reporting live from the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in Iceland. A part-time digital nomad, Tammy calls Toronto home but has also lived in Chiang Mai, Prague, Glasgow and rural Crete.

American Express Serve Company Information