3.9/5 (574 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Was away from home. In the evening needed to pay a bill promptly. Only had cash on me, picked this card up because it said no activation needed, use immediately. Not only did you need to activate and register you need to add all your personal info, SSN, DOB, etc. It took 4 hours w/ customer service to activate because their system was wonky then they couldn’t activate it for another 3 hours for “full authorization.” Absolutely absurd, strange, scammy experience.

Original review: July 21, 2022

They stole my refund money. They keep telling me that the money will be back on card. It's been 30 days. They are a scam. Don't use Serve card. Their customer service representatives tell you different lies every chance they get

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Do not get a Serve card! I did my taxes. TaxAct deposited my refund on the serve card. They sent me a temp card. Wanted me to register it online. I did that. I called the automated system kept telling me to register online. So I ordered another card since that one wasn't working. I even pain 30 more dollars to have it delivered thru FedEx, FedEx delivered it to the wrong address smh. Called back to get yet another card issued. She sends me a link which I filled out. 2 months later I'm still waiting on that card. Customer service is null and void. I finally had to file a complaint. Don't get this card.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I requested a refund. Was told it was take 3-5 business days. 5th day I call Serve because I see it says completed and I see it's been put on hold. They tell me it's on a merchant's hold and they can hold it for 7 calendar days. I call the merchant. They say that's **. They don't have it on hold. Everything was completed. Even gave me a transaction number to lookup and verify it... I call Serve back. Try to give them the transaction number. They refuse it and they tell me they're sorry, nothing they can do, all I can do is wait, that they are not keeping my money from me the merchant is.... Bull. The merchant was trying to help. Even have been emailing me numbers to call with Federal Reserve Board etc.. To help me get my money.... Serve is a scam and they make up their own policies to fit them.

Original review: June 6, 2022

After reviewing my account I noticed charges from San Diego, PA, and NC totaling over $300 and I filed a dispute. Weeks later, called to find out the status and was told my dispute was settled and claims denied. I asked how and why and the representative hung up the phone. Do not use this card!

Original review: May 5, 2022

They've been holding my money since May of last year (2021). Refuse to tell me why. So I reached out to the federal reserve board, BBB, CFBP to file a complaint. and when I called SERVE today they told me they transferred my account to consumer relations. So I think everyone should continue to file complaints to get your money as well as STAND up to AMEX SERVE and their scams.

Original review: April 26, 2022

PLEASE do NOT go through the trouble of going with SERVE card. I cannot understand why AMEX would have their name on this card. It first started when we needed to use a decent amount for our down payment on a vehicle. They would not authorize the transaction and you could not speak to ANYONE! Now just recently we had a 1500 return that was done on the 13th of April...and processed on the 15th. WE called every single day and told multiple different things... "Your money will be available at 3:43 am". Then if they didn't like how frustrated you were they hung up on you. WE finally received our return on April 26th!! DO NOT USE THIS CARD. I know everyone wants an advance on their refund, BUT it is NOT worth the hassle and headache!!

Original review: April 13, 2022

I loaded my tax refund into their prepaid card from Jackson Hewitt and tried to transfer some of the money to my main bank account. And I wait 4 to 5 business days and the money never went to my account. And I did verify the test deposits before I completed this transfer. These people are crooks. I'm not sure what scam operation they're running. I called customer service and it's very strange people answering the phones. They don't care if they speak English very well. They said the money was put back on my card but I check my account and everything the money still wasn't there. And I looked at their transaction statement it doesn't show any transfer transaction or credit back to me. So I decided to put it in writing here. It is a month later and I still haven't heard anything back from them.

Original review: April 9, 2022

What was initially just a suspicion has recently been verified again and again. This company deducts small amounts from the accounts associated with these cards so that your balance always go down in a virtually unnoticeable way. 83 cents here or a dollar or so there. The way in which your online account profile is set up makes it hard to spot - i.e. - you cannot see more than the last four to five transactions at once. I will never use Jackson and Hewitt again because they've associated themselves and their products with such a fraudulent card. I expect that they'll have a class action lawsuit some time in the future. If you are holding money on a Serve card, DO NOT. Transfer it to a legitimate bank account instead. They are thieves.

Original review: April 6, 2022

If I could give them a negative 5 stars I would...If I had only read the reviews before agreeing to have my income tax return sent to this card... EVERYTHING that customers have in previous reviews are NOT an exaggeration... If you want to talk to someone I'll tell you now they DON'T exist BUT if you are lucky enough to speak to one they don't seem to have a grasp of the English language or are no help at all.

American Express Serve author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Serve Company Information