1.15/5
  • 1 star
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

101 American Express Serve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The card has been good and economical to use, but the customer service is pretty awful. I called and explained, then wrote to ask a correction on a fraudulent charges, nothing happened for one month. The company promises ten day action... it didn't happen. Now I see it doesn't care and the only option for me is to cancel the Serve account with a negative balance.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have had the Amex Serve card since 2010 and while the fees are reasonable including free reload at participating retailers and no service fee if you load 500 or more in a month that is the best thing that they offer. Customer service is almost impossible to reach, representatives without any desire to answer your questions, no online chat or email and if you are lucky enough to get a refund from the merchant, (that's about the only way you will), be ready to wait 7 to 10 days to see what was once your cash deposited back into your account. There is no buyer protection. Since the fees are nearly free, you get what you pay for. (No fees, no service). Once upon a time, it was a good choice, its happily ever after is now a nightmare from hell.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I’ve had this card a little over 4 years, and I have no complaints. I find it to be the most cost effective card I’ve ever had. I get more than 500 a month in direct deposit so they waive my one dollar monthly fee whereas other prepaid cards charge you a monthly fee of five bucks or more. I also remember losing my card around tax season and because they take 7-10 business days to get another card to me but I needed a battery for my car asap and couldn't wait. They sent me 1,000 dollars via Western Union to hold me till I got my card. Also you do get your money 2 days to even more days faster but it does depend when your financial company sends it. If my job processes my direct deposit today at 7 am I will have my money by 5 pm same day. I’m also thrilled with the free money loads at the local Walmarts.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Absolutely terrible. I paid today at a hotel where I know the manager. He accidentally did it for an incorrect price, so he voided it, then charged me the correct price. Bluebird still hasn't put my money back on my card, and I called twice including a supervisor. Also, they added about 15% to each purchase, which they admitted to. They told me they didn't receive the notice that it had been voided. They would not allow me to speak with a US agent. I've had this card for six years. Two years ago, I was at another hotel, and paid daily with my Bluebird card. Each time it was 15% more than the actual cost. I called three of their agents then, including a supervisor, all who promised me it was the hotel that did this, an absolute and abominable lie. They tie up my funds for 8 days. This is actual cash that I loaded, so they in effect, are using my money. Absolutely heinous.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

This complaint is about their traveler's checks. I lost my checks. I called 3 weeks ago to report the checks, and was told I would get a callback. I did, but was in a meeting, and so was told I would be called the next day. Didn't happen. So I called again, and again gave a lot of information over the phone. Today they sent a form, asking for much of the information I had already given. There was an accompanying word document - blank. I called again, and was informed they were closed. This was during normal American business hours. But the Philippine branch was now closed. It is bad enough that they are hard to understand, and don't understand me, but now I have to do business according to Philippine hours? This all seems like they are deliberately making it difficult to get my checks back. I will persevere, but know that this company does not give good service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Wait an 1hr for customer service to answer me for them to hang up on me and to tell me they're having technical issues! Finally reach somebody. They try to talk over you! And always tell you what you should do instead of fixing the problem! Secondly that get your two days early is a bunch of bull! #fakenews I promise you that’s not true at all! If you're thinking of buying a serve card don’t. You have been warned! Please read all the reviews. It’s all true. I have experienced all this plus more. It’s truly the worst card! The only thing you have is the name and even that’s worthless.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This is the Worst prepaid debit card there is. Fraud is not protected. You will take the loss. They don't try customers!!! After banking with this company since 2011 my card was lost for the first time and of course charges happen. The bank noticed it and sent out email to my phone, once called to report the card lost, they filed a claim. 3 day later I received emails advising me my account is being closed and I'm receiving a check in the mail for what was left in my account. Contact the fraud department to have them tell me that I was responsible. 3 fraudulent charges after 5 years, and American Express is blaming me and closing my account. Save yourself the headache and stress. Put your money into a real bank! The fees and service is not worth it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I did store return to Express and TJMaxx on 10/17/17, both merchants advised me that the funds was return and credited to my prepaid card. American Serve holds the funds for 7 days and it is not their money and this is not a credit card. The customer service reps I have spoken to are rude and gave me different dates the funds would be available to me. Here it is 10/26/2017 and no funds returned. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Call center for American Express Serve - Rude and unprofessional. Managers are overtalking customer. They forgetting about manners, unable to answer questions about account making it seem like I am uneducated. Talking to me like I am a child when I asked for any ID badge number. Asking her to slow she started speaking to me like I was 3 years old. Amy ** and Micheal ** both need to be fired. Or removed from their current Positions.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have been a customer for while, and have never experience: I made a return on Saturday, September 30th at 7:30 PM to Banana Republic. It's sad to see this card company lie to me as I have my receipt. The customer service rep said since it was only October 2 when the return happened it will take seven business days. Now this has never happened with Bluebird. Then I heard Banana Republic have not released the funds. I called Banana Republic customer service and the funds are released. I called Bluebird back and now I am hearing they are reviewing the return to make sure it's legal. This is **. I am canceling my direct deposit and stick out with my real bank. They can have the $31.16- Oct 02 2017 Merchant Credit Hold for Review - BANANA REPUBLIC US 81 PROCESSING - $31.15.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I checked my balance after getting $20 in gas and there were 2 holds for $85 and one for $100. So I called. I was told they would remove the $100 charge but the $85 charges would probably resolve themselves. Well they didn't, and then SIX more fraudulent charges showed up essentially cleaning me out. When I called back I had to speak to 6 different people and the result is - I was able to dispute the two charges that already posted, but I have to wait to dispute the others until the money gets taken. I am completely broke until this gets resolved and reach dispute can last 10 to 45 days. I will be getting rid of this card the second I get my money off of it. I will never recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I went to the ATM to get money out the ATM and not distribute the money. They gave me a receipt saying that transaction cannot be completed but for some reason American Express still took the money off my card and told me he would take 10 to 45 days to resolve. It took me two seconds to call the merchant and get the information that I need. They're just taking forever just because. If I were you I would not get a card from them. They do not care about anything you have going on and they will not give you your money back until after 10 days even if it is their fault.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I was notified that there was suspicious activity on my Serve Card by their ** offshore customer service rep, so I instructed them to cancel my card, send me a replacement, and to FREEZE my account so nobody could mess with my account until I activated my replacement card... While my account was 'frozen', I had $4,410 stolen off my Serve card by someone online... Exactly HOW they were able to steal $4,410 while my account was frozen and I had no actual active card, I was never told...

I reported this fraudulent activity to American Express Serve Card's Fraud Protection Investigate Dept., on Aug. 16th, and on August 29th, one of their Fraud Investigators told me the investigation was 'resolved' in 'my favor' and the $4,410 would be returned on to my card the following day as a 'probationary credit'... The next day, (Aug. 30th 2017) and now an equally trained Fraud Investigator told me a completely different story... This time, I was told that the investigation was NOT complete, and it had been 'escalated'...

About 10 minutes later, I got 4 emails from American Express saying 'I HAD VIOLATED THEIR TERMS (15D) AND THEY HAD PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED (closed) and the $500 I had on my card would be mailed to me after they waited for any pending transactions to complete... Again: They denied my claim, and closed out my card with my cash on it. Do not... I repeat do NOT use this crap card. They simply didn't have any incentive to give me my stolen $4,410... They know EXACTLY who stole my money... But they found it easier to rip ME off... ** them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I used to love this card. It even sent me 10 dollars one time because the ATM wasn't working. I had no problems up until recently. Some bills say they are paid when they are not. I almost got my car repossessed because the payments said they were there and they were not. I called over and over again trying to get something done about it and every time I called it was a different person and had to give all my info all over again. OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.

One wire payment for 500 didn't make it but the one after it did make it. How the hell is that possible? Then I found out more bills said they were paid and they weren't. They did their investigation and said that the funds still hadn't arrived and that if I wanted the money back to call. So I did and I was told it was already closed and I had to open another claim. What in the hell is going on??? I am so disgusted with this card that once this is straightened out I am done with this card.

STAY FAR AWAY PEOPLE... I don't know what happened to this company but it clearly doesn't have the customers best interests at heart. If you like getting yourself so worked up that you feel you're gonna have a heart attack then go ahead and get the serve card. I am DISGUSTED!!! I curse the day I ever got this piece of crap card... NEVER AGAIN. My credit is now bad again thanks to these douche bags. And I trusted this card to pay my bills on time... NEVER AGAIN!!! And I will be contacting corporate and my lawyer...

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

On August 24, 2017, I decided to check my account to see if my direct deposit had come in by using the text to Serve service. I, in turn received a message back saying, "Serve: Sorry, it appears the following Cards ending in ** have been locked. Please call the number on the back of your card to unlock your account." So I followed the directions and this is what happened: I stayed on the phone with a representative who had no more than a script to repeat over and over again no matter what I said to her. After about 15 minutes of the runaround, I decided to ask for a supervisor. She said the issue with my account is that I tried to draw funding from a source that they could not verify that I held an account with. I realized my mistake was that I chose the wrong card when trying to fund the Serve card from another direct deposit from another employer in my Rushcard.

I had two listed and I never had been able to disable the Suntrust Bank account number from being listed in Serve as a funding source from years ago. Subsequently, I accidentally chose it at that point before I was locked. I admitted to my mistake when I realized the number she read was not the account I fund from regularly. So she started her script again that a supervisor would call me within 24 - 48 hours... Well, that is when I asked for a supervisor. I was put on a hold for about five minutes and she said that he was on another call and that he would call me back in thirty minutes or I could hold. I asked to hold but she acted like she forgot she gave me the option to hold and told me that he "would call me back and thank you, have a good day, goodbye."

I patiently waited as I continued my evening. I cooked, no call, I fed the family, no call, I watched a Netflix show, guess what? So I called... Same rigmarole with a new customer service rep and then she tried to tell me that I never called earlier in the evening and the record shows no notes that a supervisor was to call back. Well, I use the ACR phone call recorder app on ALL of my phone calls and I threatened her that I could let her hear the previous call. Suddenly the conversation changed, oh I'll see if he can come to the line right now. Please let me put you on a brief hold. Brief? I held for almost 40 minutes as I cleaned up and watched the news. Finally I hung up and tried to call back and suddenly the call would only go through to the prompts to enter your card number and code from the back, tell you a representative would come to the line and then it immediately disconnects.

As it was late, I decided to take a crack at it first thing this morning. Well, the same kept happening on their 1-800 number but I chose to go ahead and try calling their direct Utah number. It put me on hold for 10 minutes and then it disconnected at once. I called back repeatedly and each time thereafter, it started doing the same thing as the 1-800 number: disconnecting when being told that you will be connected to a representative and that your call is very important to us. Important... I did some research last night found this site with many complaints similar to mine starting back to August 2016.

I agree with the poster that said that we should start a class action lawsuit. I also have a Rushcard and it worked and also we were given our monies back plus an I'm sorry compensation of $500 for some of us. It is worth a try and if we do it, you have my participation 1000%. After this is all over with, I will no longer try prepaid cards again. I use them to control my spending but this is TWICE in two years someone has messed with my livelihood and finances like that... If you are thinking of using Serve. RUN!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

This company is absolutely ridiculous. Charge on my account for 25.90 from Disney Movie Club that shouldn't have been there. Called them and amazingly they canceled the charge. No questions asked, 1-3 days back to card. Ok no problem. Now 4 days later I call Amex and I'm told "we can't help", we've received nothing from them to cancel the transaction so it'll be 8 freaking days. So stupid. I'm done.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have had this card for 3 years and I load a minimum of $1,000 a month therefore the monthly fee is always waived. I state this because I assumed with that being the case I wouldn't get such a hard time trying to resolve my problem. Problem is I went to an ATM machine 8/22/17 to withdraw $200 but never received the cash. The receipt displayed $200 requested but $0.00 dispensed. However on my Serve card $200 was debited. I spoke with a CSR and was told 24-48 hours for a dispute form via email. After arguing the fact that it should never take up to 2 days to receive an email, I received it the following morning, 8/23/17. I uploaded copy of receipt and dispute form first thing 8am 8/23. Today, 8/24/17 I was told it usually takes 45 days to complete investigation which is bull. We live in a world where nothing takes that long, period!

Then I was told perhaps a credit after 9/5/17 while they continue to investigate. My entire payroll check is currently being direct deposited onto this Serve card so I am not understanding why the card can't be credited the money during the investigative part. $200 may seem like pennies to the average person but I am working single parent and having $200 tied up is a hardship for my family! Then when you call there is a language barrier. There is not one single rep for this company based in the United States & sometimes it is difficult for the customer & the rep. American Express Serve does not care about long standing customers or your business whatsoever. Further more the rep was basically dry and no compassion about the fact I am out of $200 in which I never received. I gave them ZERO stars because it doesn't take that long to resolve anything period!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

So apparently my account was Fraudulently used of a total of $327.52. I reported it on Sunday filled out the proper paperwork "Declaration of Fraud form" and submitted it on Tuesday morning. By Tuesday afternoon their investigation team has determined that nothing was wrong with all transactions. Their investigation took them less than 8 hours to determine that? They investigated & verified 8 separate transactions in 8 hours, THEY MUST HAVE AN AWESOME INVESTIGATION TEAM. Mind you I was provided with an email stating that it can take up to 45 days for an answer.

I called to request on what violation did I commit and they could not provide that information. Apparently I must write to corporate to get an answer. I am highly disappointed and disgusted with customer service, the run around and care free attitude is a completely the reason why I will never deal with this company again. They love to refer to section 15D is their favorite loophole. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ACCOUNT, They will throw all the excuses in the books not to return your funds. Save your energy and TIME!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

American Express Serve is straight-up scamming people and stealing their cash. My account was frozen for some reason (I assume they didn't like me using the ATM often rather than the card directly) but all I received was a generic email. I've have called them about 6 six times in the last month and never gotten a straight answer, just that it was "under review" and they would get back to me. My last conversation with them ended with much anger on my part and a vow to hire an attorney. I suggest you never use their service as they are likely to steal your balance at some point and never even tell you why. I lost about $1000 thanks to these slimy scammers, which I may or may not get back via the legal system and many months of wasted time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

It's quite suspicious how difficult it is to actually talk to someone from this company. As soon as I can, I will be switching to another company and let everyone I know to NOT associate with Bluebird AMEX for any reason! If there was a star for "-10", I would choose that one.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Unfortunately, the quality of American Express customer service is getting worse day by day. Many years ago, the service was top notch. Now, the best way to get quality service is to either use the online account app, or the automatic computer system, when you call in. Speaking to an educated, properly trained representative is difficult. Many of them have strong language barriers, that creates miscommunication. Those who do speak clear English are often times curt and unhelpful. I am extremely disappointed in how poor American Express has become customer service wise. There was a time, about 15 years ago, (I've been a customer longer than that), where it was hard to get approved for an AMEX card. Thus, the level of service was high. Well, it seems that they have lowered their approval standards; and along with it, the quality of customer service.

I am tired of calling American Express customer service and being put on hold, because the rep is uneducated or not properly trained, to handle and resolve a question or issue that I have. I have been left on hold for several minutes, and no one comes back to the phone. So, I call back, and all I get his "Oh, we are so sorry for this one. How can I help you with this one..." Forget about asking for a supervisor. They will make every excuse in the book to not provide you with a supervisor. Or, they will pretend to put you on hold, then disconnect the call. It is very frustrating and I hope that by seeing all of these complaints on Consumer Affairs that American Express will get their act together. Because right now, it's a hot mess! I should be able to call AMEX day or night, and receive top notch customer service, better than what I will get from a robotic computer system!

Original review: July 2, 2017

American Express Travel Related Services Co., Inc. They stole my $2200 by shutting down my prepaid cards and accounts (Serve Card and Bluebird Card) for no real reason and they refuse to give me my money back!!! But I will fight back for my money and my rights and I have seen many people with the same issue, and we are trying to make a class action lawsuit for this!

Original review: June 26, 2017

I filed a dispute on 6/15/2017 for an ATM withdrawal. The money was not dispensed and the ATM told me I had insufficient funds but deducted the amount from my account. I was told I needed to file a dispute with the cardholder. So I did. Here it is 6/26/2017 and I've received no correspondence, no help, no nothing. Not even a temporary credit to help pay my bills. I mean it's a prepaid card for God's sake. You know I had the money on there and it's now gone. I was hopeful when I initially filed the dispute. Thinking it was a simple fix and that the process could not possibly be that convoluted but obviously it is. There is NO one to speak to except people with very poor English all the way in the Philippines. Meanwhile the actual department that handles disputes is in Utah and for some reason there is no way to contact that actual department. Only this lone phone number full of people who have no idea and don't even care what's going on.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I never have applied or gotten a Serve Debit Card but yet I keep getting emails about my supposed account and that the online statements are available. I can find no way to contact American Express Serve as all online methods of contacting them require me to login to my supposed account and calling just gets me an automated system requiring an account number to be able to talk to anyone. The FAQ on their website says they require email verification but I never verified any email for American Express. I have had this email account for many years and these appear to be legitimate emails from American Express. I would really like to stop getting these emails I just do not know how to contact them to get them stopped.

Original review: June 16, 2017

On May 27th I was emailed by Amex Serve indicating that my account would be suspended for a fraudulent charge that I reported to them. They then closed my account with my hard earned money still in the account. I was unable to use the card to get my funds and the customer service rep indicated that a check would be mailed to me in 7-10 business days. I never received the check. I've been on hold more for more than an hour with several reps and my issue has NOT been resolved. I call daily to check the status. They repeatedly attempt to reassure me that a check will be mailed but at this point, I do not believe them. This is the worst experience ever.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Card was compromised. A fraudulent transaction was processed via Stripe payment systems (online system used by many online mail order companies, e-commerce companies). The representative on the line was barely able to communicate and just kept parroting a telemarketing rhetoric. Offshore support with little or no understanding of the issue. Beyond disappointed. No common sense and a "nothing we can do" mantra.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had the card now for several months no issues. I sent my rent via bill pay. The payment arrived late. I received a late charge. The customer service rep explained to me that the fee would be added to my acct. That never happened. I was transferred to the dispute dept. The rep was rude and seemed distracted. The dispute was completed for the wrong date and wrong amount. I called back a second time and the dispute was completed via email stating that the payment was delivered and basically that was all they could do. I called back a 3rd time today and the rep was beyond rude and told me there was nothing that they could do and never looked my acct up, pretended not to hear me and ended the call. I was happy with my card until this happened. I am going to keep complaining until I no longer have air in my lungs. Extremely dissatisfied!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I got my Bluebird card in October of 2016. Figured I would use it for my tax return. BIG MISTAKE! I was happily spending my return on my bills and somehow, someone got my card number and started charging it for crazy internet stuff. (I never buy anything online, especially on my computer. Usually on my cell) I called customer service as soon as I found out. They were really nice at first. I had a sub account and my husband's name was on it and they said that his account wouldn't be blocked while I was issued a new card. Fast forward 48 hours later. I get an email stating that my account has been closed and all my funds will be mailed to me via check. I called customer service and asked why. They said that my complaint didn't follow the user agreement and that my account had been cancelled.

Another 10 days later I receive a check for $19 which was what was left in my account. My sub account that belonged to my husband had $1,500 in it. It never came. Mind you that this was in MARCH of 2017 and it is now the last day of MAY in 2017. They told me about a week ago that they are mailing me my $1,500.00. I have gotten nothing but the runaround since. I have called 3 times a week for the last 3 months with excuses. Like: We mailed it, we sent it back to the IRS, we are not sure of your situation. Blah blah blah. I finally had someone that actually called me back and let me know that they were issuing me a check that day and that it should be here within 10 days. They better pray that it's here by Friday. I will NEVER EVER USE BLUEBIRD AGAIN AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THEM IF THEY WERE THE LAST BANK ON EARTH. Your money is safer with a freaking teenager than them.

Original review: May 30, 2017

American Express will not remove a 30 day late payment which was for just $1 for some reason. They tell me their system won't allow making a change because it happened 3 months ago. I just found out because my credit score dropped dramatically. Now I have to live with this mark on my report for 7 years? This is unconscionable.

Original review: May 13, 2017

My card was stolen and was used and all of my money was gone off my card. Called them to my a complaint and do a fraud form. The form was done. They so called told me that they was doing investigation. They sent me emails saying 45 days from now not 10 days from now. They emailed me and told me that my account was permanently locked due to that it wasn't nothing wrong with the transactions. I'm trying to understand how it's not my card was stolen and used. They didn't want to help me. They didn't want to credit the amount that was took from me. They don't treat their customers well. They need this card shut down.

American Express Serve expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit cards under the American Express umbrella. The Serve cards provide the backing of the American Express brand. American Express is the world’s largest card issuer by purchase volume according the American Express website.

• Products: The three American Express Serve® debit cards include the basic Serve®, FREE Reloads and the Cash Back card.

• Card prices: Online all three cards are free. The price is up to $3.95 in retail locations.

• Low monthly fees: The monthly maintenance fee is only $1 for the standard card, and it is waived for consumers that meet the minimum deposit amount of $500. The fees for the FREE Reloads and Cash Back cards are $4.95 and $5.95 per month respectively.

• No charge card loading: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: Unlimited one percent cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free card replacement: There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Free ATM withdrawals: As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass® ATMs, there is no fee. There is a $2.50 non-MoneyPass ATM withdrawal charge and the possibility of additional ATM operator fees.

• Free services: There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves. There is also protection on eligible purchases.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those who want flexible prepaid debit card solutions.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg