Sterling Optical

Sterling Optical
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Sterling Optical Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling Optical?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

Had prescription filled on a pair of my own frames twice spent close to 500.00 and now are broken after 7 months, I was offered no solutions only a bad attitude! Warning to all buyers - I was told I was going to Hell when I told them I was reporting them to Better Business!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

STAY AWAY! from the Menlo Park Mall (NJ) location - I wish someone would have warned ME. This place needs to be shut down. They take advantage of clients and expect you to be an idiot! Despite the fact I have a vision plan, I was told I had to pay for my exam since the Dr performed an additional test on.. funny though, since I did not authorize any additional tests and was under the influence I was taking the standard test. During my test, I kept stating that neither choice (option 1 or option 2, etc) was clear but was told to "just pick one". So assuming a Dr knows their stuff I continued. Lenses were ordered, which took a pretty long time honestly - over a week. Finally when I was called to come in, I tried the glasses on and you know that nauseous feeling you get when wearing someone else's prescription glasses? I experienced this because they were WAY OFF! I could not see a thing and felt as if I was going to vomit.

I exclaimed my issue only to be told to "take them home for a week and try them out." I am not an idiot and one knows when they can see or not.. I said no I want to redo my exam. Not only did they send me to the SAME clueless Dr, even though they were technically REQUIRED to send me to a DIFFERENT Doctor for a second opinion, but again dealing with same person I was given a runaround while sitting in the exam seat. The Dr made me feel so awkward, failing to apologize but instead making it seem like I was wrong for not being able to see from her failed attempt at prescribing me. Even though I felt so uncomfortable, I left with them yet again ordering a completely DIFFERENT prescription than before and was told I had to wait yet another week.

I could not sleep and so the next day I called to simply cancel stating I did not feel comfortable doing business with this place. I was first lied to by a representative telling me "you can't cancel, the prescription is already cut for the glasses." I declared how this was impossible considering they were JUST ordered and called her out on lying. I was then thrown around from rep to rep, with the greedy manager talking about me loudly and clearly in the background "does she not realize we pay rent here in this mall, tell her there nothing can be done, she already gave us cash" - I assume he thought I was on hold?? I was outraged!!!

I asked to speak with him so I could let him know he cannot talk about customers in that manner but he refused to talk to me and I was told that I could NOT get my money back because there was nothing they could do so I 'may as well just take them" - even if they are not my prescription??? I was appalled by the service and lack of professionalism at this terrible location. They need to be SHUT DOWN since they are basically ROBBING the public. I was told I could NOT be given my money back from my deposit and that "I should not have provided so much cash" - FUNNY THOUGH since I was REQUIRED to make a certain deposit. Now those morons have money - money that was traded for a service that was NOT provided... That's robbery. I may as well have been mugged in an alley or lost the money from my pocket.

My goal is to spread the word so this does not happen to anyone else. Please pass this information on so they do not take advantage of another customer like they did with me and HOPEFULLY that "rent" he pays there in that mall becomes too expensive from the lack of customers he has. It's a franchise he OWNS so I could not even fight this with corporate. TERRIBLE and UNETHICAL! They should be ASHAMED of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

They gave me broken glasses. The sales people said it wasn't their responsibility. The part that winds around my ear is painful and unhinged but they would not order me a free replacement. They said it was just how it is. I will likely try to order another pair because I like the frames (and the price--I'm unemployed right now) but they keep saying after only a year I have to get examined. I shouldn't have to. If I want a duplicate pair, I should be able to order it without them giving me crap. They definitely are more interested in talking to each other than actually giving my concerns attention but I don't go there to make friends. I need CHEAPIE glasses because of my situation.

Be careful of condescension and overall lack of customer service. It's as if they hate their jobs and resent me being there. The funny part was the one guy saying "you need to watch out for macular degeneration" and I'm young! Just give me my glasses! He talked to me like I was some old lady. I will put up with imperfect glasses and people because like I said, I'm in a money slump. But when I get out, I'll go somewhere of quality. I hate when sales people look at you like you're a nuisance. You have a job, maybe not your dream job, but smiling once in a whole might be nice. AND IF A FRAME IS BUSTED IT SHOULD NOT BE MY PROBLEM.

I'm going back one more time to convince them to order my duplicate but I'd prefer to handle it over the phone since they're kind of annoying. For reference, the other Sterling I went to for a quick adjustment was better. The problematic one is in a mall.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

I purchased glasses and although the RX was correct, they made me feel like I was walking downhill. They also needed to be re-tinted. When I tried them on in the store, and told the optician how I felt, he said it was all in my head! I have had distance glasses for years, and when they were made correctly, I never felt like that. I am NOT a crazy lady. Nastier store owners, I have never dealt with. They have the glasses, I didn't get the refund, and my credit card company is even having trouble with them. Corporate CANNOT help as the individual stores are franchised. BEWARE! If you need glasses, stay far, far away from them.

Original review: July 14, 2015

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUSINESS. Groupon rate of $55.00 for eye exam and 3 month supply of contacts was advertised. I called the store to make an appt prior to purchasing and store rep said they will honor the Groupon rate. I told them I wear Acuvue brand and the owner said the contacts showing on Groupon rate is for "Sterling Brand contacts." I told him I wear Acuvue but I will try it since it's included with the promotion. After the eye exam, the doc told me Sterling contacts are only one diameter size and it doesn't fit with my eyes. So at this point, I need to pay $95 for ANOTHER eye exam specifically for Acuvue that I have been wearing forever.

At this point, I just told her to give me my prescription for the exam she fitted me for and she refused. The owner then told me she will just write the script to take with me when I make the payment for $55 (without the Sterling brand contacts). As soon as he charged my card for $55, the doc said "I cannot write you any script and I cannot authorize the Sterling brand either. But if you pay $95, I will fit you for Acuvue." At the end of the day, the only thing the owner gave me was a piece of paper showing my eyesight and told me that's a legitimate prescription. $55 later, I have no contacts and no prescription to go elsewhere. I just realized this is the reason the store didn't want me to purchase through Groupon and I can't even get the money back from them.

**WHEN THE OWNER, DOC refuses to provide their names, they CANNOT BE TRUSTED**

Original review: May 28, 2015

Sterling Optical, Bay Shore, NY sold me used glasses with the wrong lenses. I ordered Crizal lenses. All of my glasses have Crizal lenses. When I picked them up, they failed to give me the authenticity card and cloth. I overlooked this, giving them the benefit of the doubt; after wearing them just a short time, I could tell these absolutely were not Crizal lenses. I called Sterling Optical and told them, and their response was, "oh, okay, we will order the Crizal and call you when they are in." They totally KNEW that gave me cheap lenses and were caught in their shady maneuver.

The frames also seemed out of whack, the arms of the glasses were all stretched out. At first I tried to overlook it, telling myself it was not that bad. But as I wore the glasses, they were so loose and out of whack, especially on the left side, they would fall off my face. There is NO way these were new glasses. I 100% believe Sterling Optical sold me used glasses. They are a shady business! I called them about this and of course they won't admit it, but they lied about the lenses -- and I absolutely believe they are lying about the glasses being new too.

Original review: May 18, 2015

Glasses were purchased in West Seneca, NY in June 2014. In Oct one lens was scratched. A week later I went to pick them up. The replaced lens had a bubble in it. Another week and I picked them up. In April 2015 I mailed them to NY from TN where we now live. Both lenses were chipped in the corners where they sat into the frames. 10 days later while in NY I went to check on them, they never called me. I was told I had already had them replaced and their guarantee does not start at the replacement date. I didn't even get a year from the glasses. I loved the frames, I had to purchase another pair (in TN). Even Walmart and LensCrafters have better replacement policy. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: March 12, 2015

My experience with the Ithaca, NY Sterling Optical has been bad from the beginning. I went to select a pair of frames, and found that the selection was very poor with a lot of cheap brands. The display frames were filthy as if a hundred dirty hands had handled each one, and the store generally very unclean.

I was followed closely around by someone in training, who obviously had no idea what she was doing. She could not answer any questions and did not seem to know anything about the frames; she wasn't interested in helping me but in following me closely as if I were about to steal something. I did make a selection of a frame, but was looking for a smaller size. The person behind the main counter said that frame didn't come in any other size, however when I went back to looking at the display, I found two other sizes of this model. This person could not place an order for me or answer any other questions, so I was wondering why they were at the front desk. The other three customer service reps in the store also seemed not very knowledgeable about what they were doing and were unprofessional.

I placed an order and was told it would take up to 7 days. Two weeks later, no glasses, and no one at the store can tell me the status. One customer rep could not operate the computer to look up my account. One kept putting me on hold when I called, and never got back to me, even when I called back. One rep said they looked up my order, but called me by another person's name so that I did not feel they really looked up my order. Big mistake to order from this store (and I will not return to Sterling Optical). I have lost confidence that I will receive these glasses and also that they will be the correct prescription. Please do not waste your money or time with this store.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I purchased glasses frames and lenses from sterling optical in bay shore NY. These lenses are developing spots and staining. Whatever this defect is I have never experienced this with any other varilux lenses I have owned.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Save your Money - In Dec 2014 I had an eye exam and purchased a pair of transitional lens glasses. After trying for a week to get use to the new glasses I returned to the store and was told there was nothing they could do right now that the glasses were correct and to return after the holidays because they were too busy. I returned to the store this week only to be told that maybe transitional lens aren't for me and that I should try a single strength lens (i.e. reading glasses). They would not give a refund for the difference in the cost of the transitional lens glasses versus the single strength glasses. I wound up paying over $600.00 for Reading Glasses. Take your money elsewhere to get what you pay for because you will not at Sterling Optical in Bay Shore.

Sterling Optical Company Information