Sterling Optical

Sterling Optical

4.0/5 (123 ratings)

About Sterling Optical

Sterling Optical Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling Optical?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling?

Original review: July 7, 2022

I picked up my glasses today. The member of staff, Roxy, was most helpful - she is a credit to your company, and I would like to thank everyone for all the help they gave me - appreciated. My new glasses are perfect.

Original review: June 28, 2022

What a lovely team and an excellent level of customer service. They have a beautiful range of chic stylish sunglasses and very helpful staff. I have two young children and the staff was wonderful with them when I was choosing glasses. The advice given is helpful and honest, and they are very customer-oriented. I feel the service is very personalized which is refreshing nowadays with so many large retailers around, it is lovely to have a more personalized service. I will certainly be using them as my opticians as well as for any future glasses purchase. The staff member I dealt with, Roxy, was extremely helpful. Many thanks for the great service.

Original review: June 24, 2022

If you're looking for a great selection of glasses, this is the place to go! They have a wide variety of frames and styles to choose from, and the staff is always willing to help you find the perfect pair.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

The Dr. examining me farted. Didn’t say anything. The person writing up my order said to me, “I see you always get the cheapest glasses”. I said last time I got glasses they were $400.00. Also the three other people working in this office, stood around talking loudly about personal stuff and laughing so loud I heard them in the exam room. These things are rude, unprofessional. I get my contacts from America’s Best always.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

We paid for glasses then they closed down and with no notice or call they held my daughter’s glasses for 6 months and offered no compensation. The Spanish woman at the front seat is very rude and and is uneducated in what the company has to offer. She has no customer service skills and I have felt with this company for 23 years always happy. She made the experience horrible for me and my family and when I asked about compensation for the glasses being held hostage they rudely said it’s not their problem. She then shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Some people need to be held accountable for the way they treat the customer and I am never one for complaining.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have been a loyal and satisfied customer of Sterling Optical (located in the Tysons Corner Center Mall in McLean, Virginia) for well over a decade. I was first drawn to the particular store by their high quality and wide selection of attractive eyewear frames. Throughout the years, whenever it was time to replace my lenses with a newer prescription, repair a clumsily abused set of eyeglasses or simply change “my look,” the staff of Sterling Optical at Tysons always proved attentive to my needs and very helpful in guiding my frame ware selection.

Seeking a series of sophisticated high index, progressive lenses that conformed to my unique poor eyesight/high correction requirements (and evolving tastes) never proved a problem. The highly professional and competent optical technicians would patiently and meticulously explain to me all the options available, while carefully pointing out all of the practical pros and cons of each available lens option.

Every time my eyewear selection was completed; and my lens’ technical options were decided; and all of my critical optical measurements were double checked, the Sterling Optical staff would politely and pleasantly concluded my purchase transaction. In all cases, my eyeglasses would be exactingly manufactured and made available for pick up and final fitting within the promised time frame.

SPECIAL NOTE: Most recently during the Covid-19 Pandemic, I had broken one of my eyeglass lenses in an unfortunate slip and fall incident. Leery of entering Tysons Mall during this period of escalating virus infection rates, I weighed my limited options. Bleary eyed, I donned a face mask and marched into Tysons Center, choosing the social distancing security blanket of a lower occupancy, weekday morning opening hour.

Arriving early, I cautiously waited at a safe distance from the still locked storefront security gate. I watched as the Senior Optical Technician and Store Manger “Eric” appeared to meticulously inspect the cleanliness of the store’s interior and, when finished, opened the security gate precisely at 11:00AM. Greeting me with friendly smiling eyes and a fresh face mask (while standing behind a Plexiglas buffer), Eric once again began the process of addressing all of my eyewear woes. As in the past, Eric handled himself in the most professional and friendly manner. My anxiety drifted away and a sense of relief relaxed my Covid-19 induced tension.

Once my new glasses arrived, I reentered Tysons Mall while wearing contact lenses and picked up my eyeglasses in a virtual masked flash. Once home, I removed my contacts and tried on my beautiful shiny new spectacles. Oh my goodness! My ophthalmologist (independent and wholly unrelated to Sterling Optical) wrote me a completely defective, pre-pandemic prescription. I could barely see out of my new eyeglasses. Angry at my doctor’s error, I arranged to have the my eye doctor immediately substitute and update last year’s correct prescription.

A few days later, corrected prescription in hand, I once again approached Eric during Sterling Optical’s security gate opening time. Barely concealing a sincere empathetic smile behind his fresh face mask, Eric confirmed that, occasionally, doctors do make mistakes. He explained to me that, under such circumstances, Sterling Optical offers a 60 day eyewear return and remanufacturing policy, free of charge! Now I wait for my truly corrected lenses, with a big smile under my face mask. No mystery on why I remain a loyal and satisfied customer of Sterling Optical. Thanks Eric! Stay healthy.

Alfred V.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Rude, unprofessional staff. Billed medical insurance instead of taking vision copay for eye exam, after I adamantly told them they were incorrect, and I noted it on intake paperwork not to bill medical. Next, they coded a wrong reason for my next eye exam appointment for glasses, then argued with me as to the reason for the appointment when I arrived. Doctor did perform exam and apologized for their mistake.

"Sales" staff was pushy. Tried to sell me something for diabetics when reviewing my selections and vision insurance coverage. I am not, nor have ever been diabetic and corrected her. Said they would contact me when glasses were ready. Never heard from them. Followed up weeks later. Verified total balance due twice. Was assured of balance and told there were no other charges.

Discovered office moved, but they had not notified customers. Went to new location. Paid balance. Again verified balance was paid in full. Picked up glasses. Now, months later, billed for eye exam not paid by medical that should have been a vision copay. Called to dispute bill. Asked for name of person I was speaking to after heated discussion. Was hung up on. Will never go there again.

Original review: May 10, 2019

About two weeks ago, I went to Sterling Optical on Hylan. I’ve been to numerous eyeglass stores before, including privately owned stores and franchises however my experience with the staff members here was amazing! A young lady Lauren made my visit enjoyable. She really went out of her way in explaining the different kinds of frames that were in my budget and also provided me with other options as well. I appreciated her patience- this was my first time getting glasses so I was definitely a fish out of water and had no idea what I was looking for.

Most importantly she was respectful and honest when I asked her opinion on the different frames I tried on and she certainly wasn't telling me what I wanted to hear. I highly recommend future four eyes to go to Sterling Optical on Hylan where the people there are just so genuine! I could tell Lauren loves her position and it was so refreshing to see that since the stores I went prior to this were pretty awful in regards to customer service. hope this helps in your future decision for a store. :)

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

The store at Rockaway mall in Morris County NJ filed a claim for glasses for me which were NOT the glasses I requested. I needed to fill the bi-focals so I could drive and they got me new readers instead hence using up my benefit for 2 years. So now I can’t drive because they screwed up. They would not give me the name of the people who filed for these glasses so I could put in a formal complaint because they say HIPAA laws say they can’t tell me. Ummm this is MY ACCT that you used to get money for something I did not order and now I can’t get glasses. I got a letter from my insurance which clearly states they requested coverage for something I did not request!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I would not recommend Sterling Optical in Ithaca. Rebecca, the store manager(?)'s customer service is awful and she does not uphold policies clearly written on her store's receipt and on the store's website. Read for more information. I went into Sterling Optical last Thursday (May 4, 2017). My glasses had broken and I needed a new pair. The lady at the front desk was very nice and doing her best to help, but the manager(?) of the store, Rebecca, was very unprofessional. I was trying to talk to her and instead of coming to the front to talk to me, she was yelling to me from her office in the back.

Eventually, I did get a new pair of glasses from Sterling Optical, but was unhappy with how they looked. Both the receipt and the website said that while glasses cannot be returned, that store credit would gladly be issued regardless of the situation. I called the store on Monday (May 8, 2017) and they told me that store credit was only given if there was a defect with the glasses. I told the lady who answered the phone that the receipt said no such thing, nor did the website. That did not get me anywhere - she continued to tell me that the policy about store credit was only applicable if there was a defect with the glasses, but again the receipt nor the website did not support that. Again - Rebecca's customer service is awful (but at least her staff are friendly and try their best to help) and they do not uphold policies clearly written on their receipt and on their website.

Original review: May 8, 2017

The moment I walked in I had the feeling I made a mistake. Women behind the counter were very aggressive in a way that you don't see at optometrists. The doctor examined me without the least bit of friendliness--when she left she didn't say one word. She turned and walked back to her office. I was given a pair of contact lens to try before I ordered. It took me a while to try them and once I did I realized I couldn't see close up at all, couldn't see my iphone or read at all. I went back to Sterling Optical Kings Plaza to tell them. As I walked in the women behind the counter looked unhappy to see me. I told her my issue. She looked at my receipt and said, "You had the appointment in Feb and now it is May." I apologized. I told her no one said there was a limit on when to return. It felt that they make up rules as they go. She had no explanation as to why. She was upset that it took me so long to come back. She said something that made no sense at all.

The doctor then took me in the room to re-measure me. Although I had these exact lens before she asked if it was the first time. I tried to explain my situation and soon realized that she was very hostile towards me. I tried to explain what the issue was with the test lens but she wouldn't give me a chance to talk--it was obvious she was angry. She said, "I guess your former doctor would assist you in a better manner" or words to that effect. I never mentioned my former doctor at this visit. I walked out. DON'T GO TO THIS PLACE. Their customer service is abhorrent and manners are terrible. I felt like I was being ripped off from the moment I walked in. Policies are not explained but they seem to just make it up as they go. The receipt they give you has nothing written on it with Sterling policies. They never gave me the prescription. I completely wasted my money and will have to find a new place to obtain my lens. Don't go to this place.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

This is the worst optical business I have ever seen. No customer service skills, did not help me with my insurance, eye exam was horrible. Now I'm practically blind till I can afford a new pair. They have no compassion for anyone!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

I have used Sterling Optical for several years. They are very professional and friendly when you enter their store. They know me each time I walk in and treat me with respect which is a great customer relations. I have always had a good experience when going there. My appointments are always on time and done in a quick and timely fashion. My vision is the best since going there. I have been to another chain (won't mention any names) but they really messed up my eyes to the point I had to go to an eye specialist to correct the problem. Here at Sterling I have NEVER had any problems with getting fitted for my correct vision. I recommend them to all my friend. Well done Sterling!! See you my next eye appointment.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Went to this site for contact lens fitting for my sons. After the "Doctor of optometry" (not an MD) examined them, she said she only prescribes daily lenses for any kids under 16. I asked her why, which she said kids are not responsible and get more infections. She was worried about her license if they got an infection. I asked her for any research which would back that up but she had no response. I expressed my concerns for cost as well which she was not sensitive about. I left stating I would see how my sons handled the responsibility and would discuss at follow-up.

At the follow-up, I told her the kids did great and that they showed great hygiene with handling lenses. I asked her to reconsider since they did well. She then stated that they BOTH had allergies in their eyes. This after they had just been seen by their well respected pediatric ophthalmologist, an actual MD, who over 12 years had not ever mentioned allergies in their eyes. Mind you, they have never complained of itchy or watery eyes. She would not offer even one more cost effective alternative. She told us she was done talking to us and left. I spoke to the manager the next day to no avail. FYI, after researching this "doctor," she attended the one of the worst rated optometry schools which is in Puerto Rico. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

I bought a pair of non-prescription (off the shelf, NON-custom order) sunglasses at the Sterling store in the mall in Ithaca NY. Due to the lighting conditions in the store, it was difficult to see myself in the mirror. When I got out to the parking lot car and looked in my car mirror, I decided to return the glasses. The store, however, declined to reimburse the money paid, stating that it was store policy to only give a store credit. I live in a different state and was only in Ithaca for a few more days. None of the other items in the store were of interest to me. The store indeed had a sign advising of its no returns policy, but it was placed on the back wall and not at the counter where customers pay and might more readily see it. The receipt also stated the no returns policy, but it was handed to me in an envelope and I did not immediately open the envelope to look at the receipt when I paid.

I consider this way of doing business intentionally deceitful. I later also compared the price of the sunglasses I had purchased with the price online. I had paid about double the online price. I understand that retail stores are struggling to compete with the internet these days. However, their store policy is not doing Sterling's any favors in the long run. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

Had prescription filled on a pair of my own frames twice spent close to 500.00 and now are broken after 7 months, I was offered no solutions only a bad attitude! Warning to all buyers - I was told I was going to Hell when I told them I was reporting them to Better Business!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

STAY AWAY! from the Menlo Park Mall (NJ) location - I wish someone would have warned ME. This place needs to be shut down. They take advantage of clients and expect you to be an idiot! Despite the fact I have a vision plan, I was told I had to pay for my exam since the Dr performed an additional test on.. funny though, since I did not authorize any additional tests and was under the influence I was taking the standard test. During my test, I kept stating that neither choice (option 1 or option 2, etc) was clear but was told to "just pick one". So assuming a Dr knows their stuff I continued. Lenses were ordered, which took a pretty long time honestly - over a week. Finally when I was called to come in, I tried the glasses on and you know that nauseous feeling you get when wearing someone else's prescription glasses? I experienced this because they were WAY OFF! I could not see a thing and felt as if I was going to vomit.

I exclaimed my issue only to be told to "take them home for a week and try them out." I am not an idiot and one knows when they can see or not.. I said no I want to redo my exam. Not only did they send me to the SAME clueless Dr, even though they were technically REQUIRED to send me to a DIFFERENT Doctor for a second opinion, but again dealing with same person I was given a runaround while sitting in the exam seat. The Dr made me feel so awkward, failing to apologize but instead making it seem like I was wrong for not being able to see from her failed attempt at prescribing me. Even though I felt so uncomfortable, I left with them yet again ordering a completely DIFFERENT prescription than before and was told I had to wait yet another week.

I could not sleep and so the next day I called to simply cancel stating I did not feel comfortable doing business with this place. I was first lied to by a representative telling me "you can't cancel, the prescription is already cut for the glasses." I declared how this was impossible considering they were JUST ordered and called her out on lying. I was then thrown around from rep to rep, with the greedy manager talking about me loudly and clearly in the background "does she not realize we pay rent here in this mall, tell her there nothing can be done, she already gave us cash" - I assume he thought I was on hold?? I was outraged!!!

I asked to speak with him so I could let him know he cannot talk about customers in that manner but he refused to talk to me and I was told that I could NOT get my money back because there was nothing they could do so I 'may as well just take them" - even if they are not my prescription??? I was appalled by the service and lack of professionalism at this terrible location. They need to be SHUT DOWN since they are basically ROBBING the public. I was told I could NOT be given my money back from my deposit and that "I should not have provided so much cash" - FUNNY THOUGH since I was REQUIRED to make a certain deposit. Now those morons have money - money that was traded for a service that was NOT provided... That's robbery. I may as well have been mugged in an alley or lost the money from my pocket.

My goal is to spread the word so this does not happen to anyone else. Please pass this information on so they do not take advantage of another customer like they did with me and HOPEFULLY that "rent" he pays there in that mall becomes too expensive from the lack of customers he has. It's a franchise he OWNS so I could not even fight this with corporate. TERRIBLE and UNETHICAL! They should be ASHAMED of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

They gave me broken glasses. The sales people said it wasn't their responsibility. The part that winds around my ear is painful and unhinged but they would not order me a free replacement. They said it was just how it is. I will likely try to order another pair because I like the frames (and the price--I'm unemployed right now) but they keep saying after only a year I have to get examined. I shouldn't have to. If I want a duplicate pair, I should be able to order it without them giving me crap. They definitely are more interested in talking to each other than actually giving my concerns attention but I don't go there to make friends. I need CHEAPIE glasses because of my situation.

Be careful of condescension and overall lack of customer service. It's as if they hate their jobs and resent me being there. The funny part was the one guy saying "you need to watch out for macular degeneration" and I'm young! Just give me my glasses! He talked to me like I was some old lady. I will put up with imperfect glasses and people because like I said, I'm in a money slump. But when I get out, I'll go somewhere of quality. I hate when sales people look at you like you're a nuisance. You have a job, maybe not your dream job, but smiling once in a whole might be nice. AND IF A FRAME IS BUSTED IT SHOULD NOT BE MY PROBLEM.

I'm going back one more time to convince them to order my duplicate but I'd prefer to handle it over the phone since they're kind of annoying. For reference, the other Sterling I went to for a quick adjustment was better. The problematic one is in a mall.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

I purchased glasses and although the RX was correct, they made me feel like I was walking downhill. They also needed to be re-tinted. When I tried them on in the store, and told the optician how I felt, he said it was all in my head! I have had distance glasses for years, and when they were made correctly, I never felt like that. I am NOT a crazy lady. Nastier store owners, I have never dealt with. They have the glasses, I didn't get the refund, and my credit card company is even having trouble with them. Corporate CANNOT help as the individual stores are franchised. BEWARE! If you need glasses, stay far, far away from them.

Original review: July 14, 2015

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUSINESS. Groupon rate of $55.00 for eye exam and 3 month supply of contacts was advertised. I called the store to make an appt prior to purchasing and store rep said they will honor the Groupon rate. I told them I wear Acuvue brand and the owner said the contacts showing on Groupon rate is for "Sterling Brand contacts." I told him I wear Acuvue but I will try it since it's included with the promotion. After the eye exam, the doc told me Sterling contacts are only one diameter size and it doesn't fit with my eyes. So at this point, I need to pay $95 for ANOTHER eye exam specifically for Acuvue that I have been wearing forever.

At this point, I just told her to give me my prescription for the exam she fitted me for and she refused. The owner then told me she will just write the script to take with me when I make the payment for $55 (without the Sterling brand contacts). As soon as he charged my card for $55, the doc said "I cannot write you any script and I cannot authorize the Sterling brand either. But if you pay $95, I will fit you for Acuvue." At the end of the day, the only thing the owner gave me was a piece of paper showing my eyesight and told me that's a legitimate prescription. $55 later, I have no contacts and no prescription to go elsewhere. I just realized this is the reason the store didn't want me to purchase through Groupon and I can't even get the money back from them.

**WHEN THE OWNER, DOC refuses to provide their names, they CANNOT BE TRUSTED**

Original review: May 28, 2015

Sterling Optical, Bay Shore, NY sold me used glasses with the wrong lenses. I ordered Crizal lenses. All of my glasses have Crizal lenses. When I picked them up, they failed to give me the authenticity card and cloth. I overlooked this, giving them the benefit of the doubt; after wearing them just a short time, I could tell these absolutely were not Crizal lenses. I called Sterling Optical and told them, and their response was, "oh, okay, we will order the Crizal and call you when they are in." They totally KNEW that gave me cheap lenses and were caught in their shady maneuver.

The frames also seemed out of whack, the arms of the glasses were all stretched out. At first I tried to overlook it, telling myself it was not that bad. But as I wore the glasses, they were so loose and out of whack, especially on the left side, they would fall off my face. There is NO way these were new glasses. I 100% believe Sterling Optical sold me used glasses. They are a shady business! I called them about this and of course they won't admit it, but they lied about the lenses -- and I absolutely believe they are lying about the glasses being new too.

Original review: May 18, 2015

Glasses were purchased in West Seneca, NY in June 2014. In Oct one lens was scratched. A week later I went to pick them up. The replaced lens had a bubble in it. Another week and I picked them up. In April 2015 I mailed them to NY from TN where we now live. Both lenses were chipped in the corners where they sat into the frames. 10 days later while in NY I went to check on them, they never called me. I was told I had already had them replaced and their guarantee does not start at the replacement date. I didn't even get a year from the glasses. I loved the frames, I had to purchase another pair (in TN). Even Walmart and LensCrafters have better replacement policy. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: March 12, 2015

My experience with the Ithaca, NY Sterling Optical has been bad from the beginning. I went to select a pair of frames, and found that the selection was very poor with a lot of cheap brands. The display frames were filthy as if a hundred dirty hands had handled each one, and the store generally very unclean.

I was followed closely around by someone in training, who obviously had no idea what she was doing. She could not answer any questions and did not seem to know anything about the frames; she wasn't interested in helping me but in following me closely as if I were about to steal something. I did make a selection of a frame, but was looking for a smaller size. The person behind the main counter said that frame didn't come in any other size, however when I went back to looking at the display, I found two other sizes of this model. This person could not place an order for me or answer any other questions, so I was wondering why they were at the front desk. The other three customer service reps in the store also seemed not very knowledgeable about what they were doing and were unprofessional.

I placed an order and was told it would take up to 7 days. Two weeks later, no glasses, and no one at the store can tell me the status. One customer rep could not operate the computer to look up my account. One kept putting me on hold when I called, and never got back to me, even when I called back. One rep said they looked up my order, but called me by another person's name so that I did not feel they really looked up my order. Big mistake to order from this store (and I will not return to Sterling Optical). I have lost confidence that I will receive these glasses and also that they will be the correct prescription. Please do not waste your money or time with this store.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I purchased glasses frames and lenses from sterling optical in bay shore NY. These lenses are developing spots and staining. Whatever this defect is I have never experienced this with any other varilux lenses I have owned.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Save your Money - In Dec 2014 I had an eye exam and purchased a pair of transitional lens glasses. After trying for a week to get use to the new glasses I returned to the store and was told there was nothing they could do right now that the glasses were correct and to return after the holidays because they were too busy. I returned to the store this week only to be told that maybe transitional lens aren't for me and that I should try a single strength lens (i.e. reading glasses). They would not give a refund for the difference in the cost of the transitional lens glasses versus the single strength glasses. I wound up paying over $600.00 for Reading Glasses. Take your money elsewhere to get what you pay for because you will not at Sterling Optical in Bay Shore.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

Don't go here for your glasses. This is by far one of the most poorly-run businesses I have ever made the mistake of going to. Terrible customer service, rude manager, and if you are in need if quality eyeglasses look elsewhere. I attempted to resolve my issues with the store manager and she did nothing. She was so rude and did not seem to care about losing a customer. Don't take it from just me though, look them up in BBB's report and you will see for yourself. Run out of Sterling Optical and take your money elsewhere. Here is my whole story:

I ordered a complete pair of glasses from Sterling in August.. Weeks later when I was walking by the store one of their associates ran out and stopped me. She said "I have bad news... We can't get the frames you wanted, but you can pick out another pair." I informed her I was not interested in picking out another pair and would like a refund. Then she turned me over to the manager so the manager could tell me there was a strict non-refund policy. How can this be considered a refund when I have not received the product I ordered. 600.00 later I still have a charge for this "phantom" pair of glasses I never received.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

I had an eye exam done on 7/24/2014 at the Ithaca, NY store. Was charged for the exam when I shouldn't have been and a month later I am still waiting for my refund. I will never go to that store again.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I have been going to Sterling Optical for years. All four members of my family wear glasses or contacts. The last time I went to them my PD was measured incorrectly resulting in lenses that made me dizzy, caused headaches and made me nauseous. I returned to the store three times to have them adjusted (not knowing anything about PD) each time I went, I was told that there was nothing wrong with the lenses and that I would adjust. I struggled and after a few weeks just started wearing my old glasses. I was not aware that someone MANUALLY measured my PD, no machine was used nor we're my records for every previous year checked against the NEW measurement the woman got. Your PD could change over time, but only at most by 1mm.

This new measurement was 3mm different than ever before. AGAIN, NO ONE EVER BOTHERED TO CHECK THE NEW AGAINST THE OLD, NOR ANY PREVIOUS PRESCRIPTION, EVEN WHEN I REPEATEDLY RETURNED TO THE STORE TO HAVE THEM ADJUSTED. The lenses could have been redone in the first 30 days, but as they continued to refuse to check or acknowledge any possibility that the lenses were wrong, of course that never happened. I had to go to a REPUTABLE optician/optometrist to find out what was wrong with my glasses and that no amount of adjusting would ever fix the wrong PD AND that all the symptoms I had are the exact result of having a difference of 4mm in the PD. I will never return there. I would never recommend that anyone go there. I unfortunately only today looked online to find dozens of terrible reviews for sterling optical. This is clearly a company that does not belong in business.

Original review: June 14, 2014

I got my glasses from Sterling about 1 year ago and nothing BUT trouble with the glasses AND the manager there. I had to bring my glasses in 7different times to get them fixed and to this day, they STILL aren't fixed right! I got the lined bifocals, the lines aren't even and I can't even see correctly out of them. After 7 times of me going in to have them fixed, I told the manager that I wanted my money back and that I was going somewhere else to get glasses. She told me that it was against store policy and that they would fix them correctly (which they didn't do!). They didn't even give me ANY of my money back. I contacted their headquarters, but I never heard from them. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy!!! They should be shut down!

Original review: April 17, 2014

Sterling Optical on Lexington and 78 St., NYC. Salesperson assured me the very expensive (progressive Varilux digital) lenses would be replaced if unsatisfactory, as per policy. After getting new glasses, I found that distance viewing with left lens was blurry. I went back to ophthalmologist for re-examination and the prescription was confirmed. The technician also verified prescription on lens is correct. I believe lens must be cut wrong. Depending on the tilt of my head, I can see clearly out of one lens at a time, but cannot see clearly out of both lenses at the same time except for reading distance.

I returned to S.O., but OWNER says lens was cut correctly. He wants me to see S.O.'s optician later in the week to verify prescription. I think he wants to charge me for optician's fee and I still may not get new lens. I'm cutting my losses and will not use them again. Friends and I have always lamented that once the salesperson sold you the eyeglass frames, they wouldn't give you the time of day afterwards. At this S.O. the salespeople were very nice, unfortunately, the owner and workmanship are not.

Sterling Optical Company Information