1.38/5
  • 1 star
Based on 52 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

107 Eyeglass World Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

We used the Eyeglass World in Spokane WA on Highway 2. After we paid for our eye exam they would only give a prescription for a specific brand of contacts, which we questioned. We have never had a prescription for a specific product. And a very expensive one at that. It is very poor business practice. But they are all about the money and not customer service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

When you go to Eyeglass World they say that you will get your exam money deducted from your glasses which they do. But if you look at the bill they add the exam cost right back on. So in reality they charge double for the exam and deduct half. So don't be fooled you will pay for the exam.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I made an appointment for 2:30 on Tuesday the 5th. I was told that I didn't have an appointment. You were having trouble with my insurance company. So they cancelled me. No one asked me if I wanted to proceed without insurance. Which I would have. This is your store on Gulf to Bay Blvd in Clearwater, Florida. You might want to train people for a change. I live in the area and will make sure others know of my experience.

Original review: April 24, 2017

They advertise same day service which is a lie. Every time I have gone there and friends and family have gone there and request same day eyeglass they say it's not going to be possible. I asked advised them that every time someone request same day they always have an excuse. They make you wait 2-3 days the least for your glasses. They do false advisement. Very annoying... Also the staff they have now are just plain RUDE. NO MANNERS... and unethical... Granted their eyeglasses are affordable. That's the only reason people keep going there. But service is terrible!

Original review: March 2, 2017

The eye Dr was very unfriendly, did not ask question or offer to tell me anything after the exam, I had to ask all of the questions, I was in/out in 10 minutes, she spent little time examining me and was in a hurry to get me out of there, beyond frustrated that they do not care enough about you to spend time on your exam, not to mention I found out later that the eye Dr. is NOT even a licensed optometrist in the United States!!!! When I finally received my glasses, they are wrong, I cannot see, I feel like I am looking through someone else's eyes. I took them back and they bent them so now they will not stay on, I bought the top of the line. I will go to social media to spread the word so people do not experience what I did. I called the 800 number and was asked to leave a message and have not heard back from anyone!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eyeglass World?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

This was Eyeglass World second chance to see me glasses. The first experience was not that good; the associate seemed under educated and was somewhat apathetic to me as a customer. The only reason I stayed because the frames I wanted are hard to find and the price was reasonable for the lenses. My one pair lasted about a year and a half and the temples fell off, but my other pair has been good. I will be picking up my glasses this week and see how they work. I know you have to take a (hit) for some things if you get a lower price. It was received in store less than 10 days after order.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I went into Eyeglass World (Address: 545 E University Pkwy #100, Orem, UT 84097). To get my daughter (13) glasses. They said buy one get second pair free. The first pair was $159.00, the second $100.00. On their website it says kids (13 under) get free polycarbonate lenses. And the Protection Plan $25.00 (first pair only). We didn't need the eye exam. The total before tax should have Been $184.00 (for 2 pairs), but was told it would be $410.00. And they keep trying to sell me stuff that I didn't want. So I'm going somewhere else to get her glasses. Eyeglass World looks like a scam. Try somewhere else to get glasses.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Be very careful when you go into Eyeglassworld thinking that what you thought you saw advertised. All the other competitors who have these get two pairs for a low price include the eye exam. Eyeglassworld does not. You think you're getting a killer deal, but in fact, you are being taken for a fool. Now, I will admit, nowhere do they say 'eye exam included'. It's one of those things that in the industry is just taken for granted. Not so here.

They get you in there, lured with the great price (which everywhere else would include the eye exam), you do your exam, you pick out your glasses... and then they tell you it's going to be like $120--with insurance!!! It's like you have two gas stations right next to each other, and one is charging $3.00 a gallon and the other one is charging $2.00---for the exact same product! Why would anyone in their right mind go to Eyeglassworld--when there's an America's Best Glasses just down the street! Trust me--You do not want to get ripped off right? Ok, steer away from Eyeglassworld then. Go to America's Best.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Not only was I lied to when I called asking about the pricing of the exam (was told it was free) I came home with PINK EYE! Just my luck. Their "same day service" is a joke. I am literally blind as a bat without some sort of eye seeing lens. I lose it anxiety up the bottom so she said she would give me trial free contacts. Later found out what I thought my bill was - supposed to be a little under 150 ended up being 300!! And no receipt. The trial free contracts gave me a reaction then causing pink eye. What a freaking mess.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I bought a pair of glasses in 7/7/2014. After picking the cheap frames I was told that my prescription was not going to fit these frames, no logical reason was given. I could not find another pair I liked for that price ($68.00) so I had to step up to a $179.95 frame. After buying the anti-reflection coating, roll and polish edging, one year protection plan totaling $589.95.

In two weeks I went in to pick up my glasses. Johnny ** fitted my glasses and I could see double in my right lens and told him something was wrong. He told me to take them home and put them on with fresh eyes in the morning and I did. The next morning I took them back and they checked the prescription it was put in the computer wrong. They sent them back to the lab to be corrected another two weeks. I came back to pick them up to find they did not roll and polish the edges. Back to the lab another two weeks. I picked them up and after about 6 months returned them to be replaced under the protection plan for bad scratches, you guessed it--another two weeks. After removing and replacing the lenses so many times the finish was scratch off. Too frustrated to wait and see the manager I left not wanting to talk to them anymore.

Three weeks ago the finish on the earpieces started to fade off and continued to get worse every day. I took them in today and the manager Jessica ** told me the shelf life of frames they make these days is about 18 months. I told her "I have been wearing glasses for over 55 years and had never seen anything like it. What is the difference the way they make them now?" She said "how would I know? I don't make frames." She told me the warranty was up and nothing could done. She said she would call the main office but they are going to say the same thing. The store is in Spokane WA. I live 30 miles away so 5 60 mile round trips. Eye World has less than a half star rating and this is just one reason why DO NOT DO BUSINESS HERE!

Original review: June 29, 2016

$250 in insurance coverage for the glasses, not the exam and they would still have to charge me $150 for a pair of reading glasses. Not progressive lenses or anything fancy. Just reading glasses. I am shopping around for a better place.

Original review: May 5, 2016

About 5 weeks before moving from Florida to Washington state I went into Eyeglass World/Gulf Coast Optometry in Daytona Beach, FL. I had been here 2 years before. They charged me a large amount for the exam 2 years ago even though I had insurance that was supposed to cover most of it. The prescription was not great but that happens. This time, with the exact same insurance and the exact same exam, the charge was $120 less, and they again wanted me to try a pair of trial contacts which they didn't have in the store, which happened 2 years ago. They assured me it would take 5-7 business days. After 5-7 business days I called them and they said it could take 7-10 business days.

After not hearing from them after 3 weeks, they now say that the optometrist never wrote down his exam and never ordered anything, which they didn't tell me the first time I called. They are also saying that they cannot guarantee that they will give me the prescription, leaving me out in the cold with nothing for this exam despite the money I paid, with no prescription and no contact lenses. This is 3 different problems from 2 encounters with this establishment over 2 years. Apparent overcharging on the first visit. Now performing an exam, not ordering trial contact lens, and not giving me my prescription, despite me having paid for it. Essentially, I paid something for nothing, as if I never even had an exam. I see multiple other complaints about this business on this site. Can't something be done?

Original review: April 14, 2016

This is the worst place I have ever dealt with in ordering eyeglasses! First the optician broke my frame then when they gave me a new frame he scratched my lenses. They ordered new lenses and when those were put in, they scratched my lenses again! So now after the 3rd time of them ordering lenses, they ordered the wrong lenses and they were also scratched as well. So I told them to give me money back! THEY ARE HORRIBLE! I been wearing glasses all my life and I have never dealt with a place like this before! Horrible. Beware!

Original review: March 19, 2016

I needed to replicate my current eyeglasses (single vision for distance only) made in another state, for which I also have the original written prescription. I also had an identical frame already purchased in the past. I went to Eyeglass World in Waterford Lakes Shopping Center in Orlando, FL. They told me that my glasses were made of either plastic or polycarbonate and I ordered the polycarbonate lenses, for which I had to pay extra because my employer insurance UnitedHealthcare does not cover polycarbonate. The order number was **. When I picked up the glasses, I could see well, but the temples could not be closed because the lenses were really thick near the sides. I showed that my glasses could close well and were not cut so thick on the sides. The technician told me that I probably did not have polycarbonate lenses, but instead high-index (which he was unable to recognize in the first appointment).

He said that my frame could not have polycarbonate lenses. He said he had to make my glasses again with high-index lenses. The charge would be over $90 (my copay is supposed to be $10). I agreed to do it, but I said I would come back in a week after I received my paycheck. When I returned, the manager of Eyeglass World, called Daniel, said he could not accept my prescription because it was too old. He said he could replicate my glasses. His technician checked my lenses and reported that they were completely different from the prescription, which I know is not true as I had several pairs of glasses made with this prescription in the past. I left, convinced that the technician and the manager were completely incompetent at Waterford Lakes.

I went to another Eyeglass World (as this company is in my insurance network) on 3808 East Colonial Dr in Orlando. A very nice lady, called **, had the glasses checked against the prescription by a technician. Everything matched. I ordered a pair of glasses with high-index lenses that cost with the insurance $112 (order# **). The lenses had to arrive from Georgia. About a week later, I went to pick up my glasses. The sides of the lenses were not smooth. They were rough and unfinished and the glasses were giving me a terrible headache. I went to Lenscrafters to have them checked and to get a new estimate without the insurance. I was told that one lens had the axis off by a significant amount. Possibly the lenses were also not cut well or had other problems.

Both Eyeglass World places returned my money promptly, but I do not recommend this place to have vision glasses made. About two weeks later, I received a phone call from Eyeglass World on East Colonial Drive asking me how my glasses were doing. The person who called me had no idea that the glasses had been returned.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I purchased two pair of glasses with anti-streak progressive lenses and I was concerned about the frames being too flimsy, so I asked the manager for more than a 30 days warranty. She wrote on a piece of paper, "1 year," but left out the lenses. I didn't worry about it because I never thought about lenses. Been wearing glasses for years and don't work outside, so it is normally years before lenses have any issues from unusual situations normally. And after one month the screw broke on a pair. Took them in and they fixed them.

Then a few months in I realized I was having trouble seeing the computer screen in front of me. Went a month or two cleaning each morning with lens cloth and lens cleaner (only use this product), have for years, and I just assumed I must keep smudging them. Finally in the last few weeks realized one pair has a permanent streak across one lens and the other is chewed up, like I have been cleaning with sandpaper. Couldn't have been better to clean it. Now I know why she excluded the lenses. They are terrible.

I am angry. Normally go to simple places -- Sears, Walmart, Sam's Club -- and the glasses are much less expensive and they stand behind their product, and never, ever had a lens issues even close to this. I can't wear either pair without a major vision issue, so have to take them off and look at computer screen fuzzy to see what is there correctly. Unbelievable. Will continue to warn others. Unbelievable and sad for there to be charlatans still selling products in the US in 2015!!! Happy Thanksgiving Eyeglass World. I hope you can sleep well with such deception. $600 is a lot to me and you abused my trust.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I specifically take appointment so I don't have to wait. I took my appointment at 10:15 am and got there at 10:05 am. I am already a patient there for the past 3 years, so I don't have paperwork to do. At 10:15 am my time to go in, someone else goes in.... so I wait and don't say nothing. At 10:30 another person steal my spot, looks like a walk-in.. They totally denied it at the Eyeglass World. So at 10:45 I went to the desk and ask them what's going on.... "Oh you will be going in few minutes." No I'm not, I need to go to my next appointment already late.

So I reschedule for the next day at 9:30 am, got there at 9:20 am, someone else goes in front of me again. What is the chance of that.... Staff there makes you feel like it is your fault to be there. They just lost a good customer and I will tell anyone I meet my story about this nonprofessional place. Also I called the corporate office giving my complaints, they have referred me back to the supervisor of that branch here in Wesley Chapel. 2 calls made to corporate office before she called. Finally she called but they do no wrong at that branch, no resolution.... Please people don't waste your time with this company. Go give your money somewhere else. Trust me you won't get aggravated.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

I had an exam at this facility and ordered my glasses and sunglasses. I can see with the new ones. Can see better with my old glasses than the new ones. Went back for another exam. Was told they couldn't do any better. I walked out of that facility after paying $598.95 and can't even use the glasses. What a shame. Their reasoning had to be something wrong with my eyes. Maybe medicine. NOT!! I am so angry and would never recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

Hi, I cannot believe all the negative reviews for this chain. My wife and I have shopped at the Daytona Beach location for five years. We have never had a bad experience. We bought the insurance with our current sets of glasses. The puppy chewed them both up (same night). Eyeglass World replaced both pairs, gratis, no questions asked. They obviously stand behind their insurance product.

As for all the whining about their 2 for 1 offers... that's called advertising. Everyone does it... I cannot believe anyone would be so naïve as to think the store won't try to upsell the product. I hope you don't think you'll get out the door at the car dealer for the price they advertise in the paper? The staff is always friendly, and professional. Yes, if you go to the store on a rainy Saturday afternoon they will be rushed because of the volume. Just have to realize you are not the center of universe. At least at my location these guys are great. We recommend them to our friends and coworkers often.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I'm used to every dimwit in the world trying to upsell everything, and run a stack of scams, so the experience here was not unusual, just depressing. 2 for 1 deals, yeah, usually a scam unless you're buying just bottom rate CR-39 lenses. Claiming polycarbonate is only $30 extra and anti-glare is only $25 extra, yeah, right, multiply that by 4. Remember, all extras are PER LENS. The tire store down the road pulls that same types of scam, but they're generally not considered to have any level of professionalism or ethics either. The eye exam was quick but a little slipshod. My eyes felt pretty fried for a few days after, but the prescription was dead on surprisingly enough. Frame selection was not exactly outstanding and seemed a bit on the lower quality side.

Employees were hurried and disorganized, which was odd considering foot traffic was low. It appears as if they're running on a similar business model to what drove RadioShack, Circuit City, and many others out of business, focusing on selling bogus services and warranties rather than offering superior product. If the customer looks at the receipt and product at the end of the day and feels like they've been ripped off, even if the product is functional, you won't get repeat business. But, if you're just doing a hit and run for some cheap frames, glasses, and a quickie exam for a replacement pair of glasses, what the hell? Still, I'd skip the 2 for 1, and don't bother with the anti-glare. The anti-glare seems to work, but not as well as it should for the premium price they're charging.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I was excited at first when I joined the Eyeglass World club for 99$ and received 3 years worth of eye exams. However, since then, I have had nothing but issues. I was told they keep most prescriptions on hand which they do not. Also when I called because I had lost my last contact of my right eye, I was told I must prepay before ordering and it would be anywhere from 2-14 days. Refused to give out a loaner pair to get me thru and also refused a cheaper brand unless I seen the Dr. Very dissatisfied because now I can not see and the representative was extremely rude and unhelpful. Will be taking my business elsewhere!!

Original review: May 27, 2015

Purchased 2 pairs of glasses 2 years ago for $165, that included eye exam & progressive lenses. Went today & price was $323. The lady told me the $78 advertised was only for the frames, not lenses. Who the hell advertises eye glasses without lenses. Their TV ad shows 2 pair of eyeglasses for $78 plus exam, not 2 pairs of frames, I am tempted to contact an attorney.

Original review: May 12, 2015

Assistant manager ** (asst manager, at Eye Glass World, 3819 Sahara, Las Vegas, NV) acknowledged that my eyeglasses have scratches though we paid almost all options they offered, including anti scratch, but she's so good on going around just to convince us the scratch was internal. We tried to show to her the same anti scratch eyeglasses we got from different co. used for more or less four years and really anti scratch. No scratches at all, but the one we got from Eyeglass World scratches started after six months from date of purchase. ** has no empathy to customer like us. Always has a way out reasoning just to convince us it's not covered by the options we paid.

Original review: April 16, 2015

They were so rude and very pricey. They changed the price around so many times, it was confusing. They offered a discount on another pair but were still expensive at over $200. I also ordered another pair of lenses which the associate never actually ordered. I had to call many times and had to return to the store 5 times for one pair of glasses. This was the biggest waste of time and I would not recommend anyone there. I wish I would have never gone there.

Original review: March 19, 2015

My daughter needed a pair of glasses at the Eyeglass World in Wesley chapel, Florida on hwy 52 and i75. We walked in, picked out the glasses she wanted -- already had a prescription -- then approached the customer service desk. There was a total of 2 people ahead of us...both needed to see the doctor. When it was our turn, I told the saleslady we already had a prescription and the glasses we wanted. She told us to take a seat at the table where they fit you and someone would be with us.

We waited WELL OVER a hour and not one person even noticed we needed to be helped. After I noticed several people were being waited on that came in long after us, I finally went up to the customer service desk and asked what was taking so long, as the girl looked at the sales guy and said, "Oh, he was suppose to help you." I don't blame the sales guy 'cause he was waiting on everyone all by himself, trying to figure out amongst himself on who was next. However the girl working customer service should have told him before he even took anyone else and I honestly think she forgot about us 'cause the desk she was sitting at was obstructing her view on us sitting there.

Better yet, they need a sign in sheet so it's orderly. Not just say, "Have a seat," then forget about us. Absolutely terrible, terrible service. However the guy that did help us was very nice to us. Didn't get his name but has a accent. It wasn't his fault she never told him who was next. I don't normally fill out reviews but with this place I feel I needed to.

Original review: March 12, 2015

Had to take glasses back twice. Imperfections started appearing on lenses after a couple months, each time. Same happened several years back with them. Not really improved much. Also, no notification when glasses were ready.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

DON'T go the Eyeglass World in Longview, TX. I ordered two pairs. One pair came in, they lost the other pair. The pair that came in was useless. The vision on the left was blurry. The optometrist who gave me the RX said the ONLY change was a small amount in the bifocal, so the astigmatism correction should NOT have been blurry. The optician marked up the lenses, had the RX checked, and could not figure out what was wrong. I left without glasses and called the Care Credit card and disputed the charge. They are going to reverse it. I am lucky that I decided NOT to leave with glasses. I am out a week's time and lost work due to eyestrain!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2014

If I could put no stars I would. The worst experience I ever had. I spent almost $400.00 and these people have no respect for their customers. I pay $70.00 for anti-glare coating to be done on my glasses and they never added it. I didn't even find out until 3 months later when I was getting ready to get a new pair of glasses somewhere else because I didn't understand why my eyes kept hurting after being so long in front of the computer. This new place I visited, pointed out to me, that my glasses didn't have the special coating that Eyeglass World claimed. On top of that, they don't want to send me my prescription. I paid for that exam and they said they will fax it and they keep wasting my time. I have to basically beg them. Oh one more, they messed up my frame with their cleaning solution, and they started to argue with me that was not them, when I can clearly see it. Their workers are rude and won't do anything to help you. Go to Walmart, is cheaper and they have better customer service.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I should have read the extensive negative reviews by others on many sites before even going here. Was just there running errands nearby. This business really is a joke. There were many failings. Customer services was bad, but generally not horrible until I discussed various policies and fee. They did not want to discuss accurate charges saying "The doctor will determine" and I continued to ask that as the patient will I be allowed to choose what is best for myself. Never got a true answer.

Part of the scam (a lot in Florida) is the "astigmatism" BS to get $30 or more on exam fees. Now I understand why everyone in Florida thinks they have astigmatism when I don't see it so extensively in states where fees are regulated more appropriately. Also, according to Florida law, a contact exam can be up to 2 years prescriptions but I was told and confirmed by a rather nasty doctor that they only do 1 year prescriptions. When pressed for details, was told the eyeglass exam was $50 something and the contact exam only took about 5 more minutes (yet cost $110 to 150).

I asked why the premium fee for 5 minutes of work and this is when the visit started becoming confrontational. I started to explain I don't have a lot of money and was hoping to perhaps get a little bit of a price break (and would have accepted a no response if done so with professionalism... I do own my own business after all). I admit, I was getting testy myself due to the rudeness. I decided to leave and was walking out. Also admit I was saying out loud (not yelling) that the business practices there were terrible and they could learn a thing or two about customer service (which I know a lot about... as I had every one of my customers in a tax office walk about with a smile, without breaking any laws).

I was in my vehicle when a DEA agent (apparently shopping inside) approached me (doctor at the door) started yelling at me to leave (which I was doing). I started reaching for my phone to record this and while doing so when he, the steroid (raged) agent making death threats if I came back. That quickly turned into threats of no-trespassing order (remember, he has zero jurisdiction there) once I started rolling video. I do have some "audio" of the threats. The doctor also yelled something I could not tell however. I left (never making one aggressive or threatening action). I will however be filing a complaint with the county and if I can, the DEA (when asked the agent did not identify himself). Actually he never truly identified he was an agent, strictly going by his shirt and his tone. May likely have been a fake hence the lack of disclosure. Once off site I called the county police and met them off-site. Unknown at this time the results of such action, but the bottom line: AVOID THIS BUSINESS AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

We were recently on vacation in Michigan. We live in Indiana. I lost my prescription glasses in the lake! I googled eyeglasses in an hour and chose Eyeglass World. Called my optometrist and they pulled the prescription. I walked into the store, was greeted by a friendly employee, whom I gave the number of my Dr. I looked around, found the display for 2 $78 and picked out two, sat down with the employee. They made sure the frames were in. Told them I didn't want any extras, paid $78. Even came back two hours later and my glasses were ready! How much easier does it get than that!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I wish I had read the reviews before I paid $468.00 for two pairs of glasses. I was told I would get my glasses on July 25 (they usually come in sooner I was told by the tech). But when I called on Friday, they said the lab messed up the prescription and they would be in on Monday. I called Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - and each time I was told they would be in the next day. After talking to an Assistant Manager I was told because of the problems I would be given replacement coverage at no charge. When I picked up my glasses the tech told me that they couldn't give me any information on the coverage because since I didn't pay for the coverage they couldn't print out a copy of the replacement agreement. I was told I still had coverage and it was in the memo of my visit. When I asked her to print that out, she said she couldn't because it was in the computer? Read the rest of the responses on this site and don't do like I did and go to Eyeglass World (it is a third class country - the US needs to send aid).

Eyeglass World expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1988 in Duluth, GA, Eyeglass World has 70 locations nationwide to make in-store shopping convenient. In 2009, it became a subsidiary of National Vision, Inc., the owner of Vision Center brought to you by Walmart, America's Best, Vista Optical and other national chains.

• Same day service: Most prescription glasses can be manufactured on site in a single day, including sunglasses.

• Designer eyewear: In addition to discount frames, Eyeglass World also offers top designer brands like Guess, Ray-Ban, DKNY and more.

• Two pair discounts: Never pay full price on the second pair at Eyeglass World. Even the second pair of designer glasses comes at a discount.

• Comprehensive contacts: In addition to hundreds of different glasses, Eyeglass World also carries a range of contacts designed to fit and correct virtually any eye.

• Insurance accepted: Not only does Eyeglass World accept vision insurance to pay for eye exams, they also apply benefits to the cost of glasses.

• Best for: Kids, Teens, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs