National Income Life Insurance
2.25/5
Based on 51 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

National Income Life Insurance

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

52 National Income Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was referred to Magaly by a friend to obtain life insurance. She was fantastic, very professional, personable and flexible which was amazing. I sent her an email early in the morning to set up a meeting in a near future and she was able to come to my place of employment during my lunch break and explain all I needed to know and the process. I had been looking at getting life insurance and frankly the hundreds of calls a days from various brokers had me petrified. Magaly was superb in her delivery of the information and expeditiousness of the process. I would most certainly recommend her to friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Had the pleasure to purchase my first Life Insurance policy from a genuine and honest person. Nas was warm and very informative on the different types of Life Insurance available. He gave me a few options to work with. He took my budget into consideration and provided me with a great product that fit all of my financial needs.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I tried calling everyone in the Oldham-Gryska Agency to get help. I never had a call returned except from an agent and Mga that were from Syracuse. I submitted a claim for an accident, they cut a check in seven days. I was waiting for the check. On day 10 I called the home office in Texas where the check was cut and I am told it was voided for a review. After months of sending more information and even having my doctor write a note stating the accident they tell me they don’t pay those claims. They tell me to get a lawyer and have them write a letter stating the accident and they will pay. I asked to speak directly to the SGA Durhon Oldham and or Brett Gryska but was pushed off to Hal **. I still never had a chance to speak to anyone. I worked for this company for two years, I heard stories of accident claims not being paid but never believed the stories. Now it has happened to me. Not even the manager In Claims would speak to me or return a phone call.

My credit union could not receive a call back. These benefit are to keep you on Your feet while out of work for an accident or injury where you seek medical attention. They tried saying I didn’t go to a doctor in time but I proved I did. I was told to prove everything they asked and I did and they did not pay. But being told you will hear back and cannot get a phone call is ridiculous especially for someone that worked for you and has sold these policies on good faith. I heard stories about a check getting cut for someone who died after a DWI because he was part of a big union, this guy even signed a DWI waiver because he already had a couple prior to getting the policy. But your average Joe gets screwed and cannot make ends meet months later.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I tried calling everyone in the Oldham-Gryska agency to get help. I never had a call returned except from an agent and Mga that were from Syracuse. I submitted a claim for an accident, they cut a check in seven days. I was waiting for the check on day 10. I called the home office in Texas where the check was cut and I am told it was voided for a review. After months of sending more information and even having my doctor write a note stating the accident they tell me they don’t pay those claims. They tell me to get a lawyer and have them write a letter stating the accident and they will pay.

My credit union could not receive a callback. These benefit are to keep you on Your feet while out of work for an accident or injury where you seek medical attention. They tried saying I didn’t go to a doctor in time but I proved I did. I was told to prove everything they asked and I did and they did not pay. But being told you will hear back and cannot get a phone call is ridiculous especially for someone that worked for you and has sold these policies on good faith. I heard stories about a check getting cut for someone who died after a DWI because he was part of a big union, this guy even signed a DWI waiver because he already had a couple prior to getting the policy. But your average Joe gets screwed and cannot make ends meet months later.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Sarah ** was our agent and it was a very smooth process. She was able to answer all questions and meet all our needs. We are very happy so far and plan to keep this for the rest of our lives. We highly suggest using this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Income?

Original review: July 29, 2018

I’ve had a life insurance policy with this company for three years. My father is currently retiring and this is the ONLY life insurance policy that will not be changing when he retires from work. I made sure everybody in my family has a policy with this company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had National Income Life Insurance for 3 + years & never filed a claim. I just sent in my first claim because I had to go to a Chiropractor. They sent back a letter that said the only way they cover you is if you go to a HOSPITAL. As far as I know there has never been a Chiropractor in a hospital. I was lied to so I would buy the ins. I have 2 other accident policies, Aflac & Combined Life, that sent me money right away for the Chiropractor visit. I have cancelled the policy & recommend that no one pays for this accident insurance. It is a scam.

Original review: July 8, 2017

They work with union families and take care of their needs on the hardest day of their lives. They work their ** off to help them out. Hiring in upstate NY is above and beyond the best in the country and shouldn't be reflected by other parts of the country and what they did years ago.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

After reviewing multiple negative reviews about this interview, I decided to take my chances and go. 8 month in the business now, and I can tell you hands on, this is an opportunity like no other, the team atmosphere, the culture, the environment is all set up for upbeat individuals. There are leaders here who push you to greatness to levels I didn't know I had. I have truly found my long-term home.

Do not hesitate to make a decision based on someone's ignorant comments here, As you can see from some of the reviews, client are happy with their benefits and of course the company has been getting more and more selective to find the right candidate to represent them since they only work with niche market of union members who request the benefits. So I have the client to serve and I get paid very well. I'm looking for great things as I am pushing for management before the end of this year.

I just have to bring up the last person review about the interview process!! Yes there is 3 step process, yes they did show me 2 videos of their conventions and recognition for achieving great number, and YES, I am going to most likely in 8 months make close to 6 figures, YES I could've been a doctor or a lawyer... that flew out the door, lol, so I grabbed this opportunity with no regrets, I suggest you show up if you're invited and invest your time to learn more about the company, and make the decision based on your logic, and if you're anyone like-minded you will be excited to join as well. I hope this can help the best of you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Thank you all for your reviews and feedback on this SCAM of a company. I just received a call a few minutes ago for an interview with them, etc. Thank God I always do my research before calling back. If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is. What's really disturbing is that they are messing with and lying to people that might be in desperate need to get a job. Thank God I have a decent job. I don't understand how people could volunteer to work for a company like this, knowing full well they are lying to others, just like they were lied to, and accepted it just to make a few dollars! SMH.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

This company is a scam. They find people from online and schedule them for a interview no matter if they don't even have a high school diploma or a bachelor's degree, put them in a room and say there is a 3 part interview process and then show you a whole bunch of videos and say they will call you and say "bring $275 with you for a insurance license" and they will never call you back after taking your money. Guy during my interview said you can make $1300 a week. $1300 a week then wouldn't everyone work here? He said his income is 200-600k then why do people go to law school or med school, wouldn't they all just work here? Huge scams, they make $9000 a month from people who spend $275 for training. Flushing office 30-50, don't go.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I've had a NILICO policy for 3 years and I must say I've had nothing but a positive experience thus far. I received the benefits through my IBEW union. I've been a union electrician for 6 years and I sent in my request form in 2013. I had a guy named Nick come to explain what the union had set up for us and I was very pleased with the affordability and coverage. The program covered everything the union didn't and I'm glad I enrolled because it has helped offset some out of pocket costs from being injured.

I got hurt on my snowmobile in 2015 and broke a few bones, was in the hospital for a week, and the company paid me over $3,000 from the accident portion of the policy. I can't remember the girl's name who helped me with my claim but she was awesome. It went pretty smoothly and I highly recommend looking into a policy for your own family. The programs are great, very affordable, and really help when accidents happen.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I received a phone call from Kia from National Income offering a consultant position after seeing my resume on Monster.com (and some other position I was not clear on) and wanted to schedule and interview for the next day. I inquired what the duties were, which was about trying to get union members to get insurance or explain their benefits - not the consultant position I was looking for.

So basically, I asked 'so this is basically me trying to get people to buy your insurance packages' and she said yes. I said ok, I am not looking for any sales positions and before the next millisecond, she hung up the phone. In lieu of calling back to say how rude she was, I figured a complaint here may be better justified. Hopefully, it will save someone else the pain of thinking it's a different type of job then, just being honest by saying they are looking for people in sales or for cold callers for their insurance packages. Kia was very rude and unprofessional, therefore, even if I was thinking of considering it - she just turned me off - which could be a loss for really good working people for the company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I have life insurance through this company. When the agent came to my home to discuss the insurance plans and my options, I was able to tailor it to my own needs and wants. The agent was also very personable, knowledgeable, and friendly. I am so happy with the insurance I have, the price I pay, and my agent. Anytime I have a question my agent is just a phone call away and always gets to the bottom of whatever I need in an extremely timely matter. There's nothing better than having an affordable plan with the perfect coverage and also a dependable National Income agent to help me with whatever I need. I cannot relate to the bad reviews or complaints on here because my experience has been nothing short of wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

My overall experience with NILICO was amazing. The representative was amazing and the prices can't be beat. The company is invitation only and I was very pleased that my cousin invited me to take a look at what they had to offer. I would recommend this company to all my friends and family!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I received this phone call. She provided two positions management and consulting jobs. I asked whether I can have more job descriptions. She said NO! Then I felt wired. After that, she directly booked interview time. OMG! I don't know what this job is. Thanks for all your reviews. I figured out what happened. I think they just find your resume on Monster and provide jobs related with your interests. Ask you to come and pay the license fee then sell insurance. Again many thanks for those reviews!!! I reject such interview!

Original review: May 27, 2016

I've seen up close how this agency runs... Unfortunately, they are guilty on who they hire and let sell their products!! But their goals is all about quantity and not fineness. The product is either the same as other insurance companies OR if qualified, can receive a much lower rate than most!! Again, must qualify to get the rates!! The problem is that they are hiring just anybody to sell which is always going to bring in the Sharks who don't care about the client and only making money!! This company qualifies A LOT more than ANY OTHER company out there!! Do your research!!

My wife has MS... Tell me what ins co is going to write life ins for her??? These guys will!! Anyway, I've just read everybody's reviews and I didn't see one good complaint (that didn't have to deal with bad representation that is) about the actual product itself!! Listen, if you're too stupid to buy a product from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, you can't blame the actual product for it. There are MANY great agents that actually care about the product who are doing very well over there... Hope this helps because my aunt who has had alcohol dependency issues, just got a life ins policy!! Complain about that???

Original review: May 17, 2016

I worked for this company for several months. It is SHADY. When we call people, as recruiters, we have a script we read off. We have limited information and are told only to answer from the script and to keep it brief. Day one I was told disclosure is important and to give as little information as possible. We are told not to discuss how new hires would be paid, even though we are entirely aware that it is exclusively commission based. We are essentially required to lie to the people we're calling and would face repercussions if we did tell them anything about the pay or truthful.

We rarely have any actual resumes, we just have a long spreadsheet of phone numbers we call off of all day. We have their names, phone numbers, and have to meet a quota of "sets" for the day. When we had resumes, it didn't matter if the background was sales or not. We'd print off HUNDREDS under any search, it didn't matter. The company wants employees they don't have to be responsible for paying. They are absolutely questionable.

I felt ethically challenged working for them because I was required to lie to the people I was recruiting. I made phone calls all day, that was the extent of my position. I often overheard the agents calling customers idiots, and insulting them when they'd get upset with them. There were times where customers would be upset and the agents had "no idea" why they were wrongfully charged. Having worked for them, I'm certain that it was a scam. I made phone calls all day and had extreme limited contact with anybody else working for the company and any questions I had about the other positions or anything questionable, I was shut down and told to meet my quota for the day.

The people we called were just a number and it didn't really matter if they got hired or not. If this company calls you, don't schedule an interview. There are always people scheduled for the same slot, they don't care what your background with work experiences are, and they probably haven't even seen your actual resume. You're a name and phone number, and just a pawn to meet a quota. The positions are entirely commission based, and they will jerk you around, ask you to lie about things you know aren't true. The company is shady, and I'm certain all of the five star ratings were written by employees and are fake reviews.

Original review: April 12, 2016

I would not recommend this company to ANYONE. They have the absolute worst customer service. They illegally took money out of an account they were NEVER authorized to take money out of. The agent stole the account information off a check and set up automatic payments out of my mom's account. I am 29 years old and NEVER authorized this. I am the sole owner of my account. Then when I called because they caused her account to overdraft and ended up causing fees of $186 due to the overdraft they claim they have my signature. Oh but it's an "electronic signature" something I never signed nor authorized. BEWARE they are dishonest and hide behind electronic signatures.

Original review: March 21, 2016

I started working here about 6 months ago and I've never been happier with any other job as I am here. The amount of money I've made in 6 months is more than I've ever made in a year. The best part is, there's no cap on the amount of money you can make and we are helping people! It's a great feeling to be able to help people with their benefits and be paid well to do so. Unions are the backbone of the working class in our country and being the one and only company contracted through the unions is a beautiful thing. I love it here and am very happy I accepted the position. You must definitely be hardworking to succeed here but they will definitely give you the support you need to thrive. I work out of the Syracuse office and there's no secret to the success here. The leadership team goes above and beyond to help us be successful.

Original review: March 11, 2016

Best company I've ever had the pleasure of working for. There is no cold calling or telemarketing. You work with union families who request life insurance benefits and go to their house. It's really a soft sale, easy. You just have to schedule the appointments with people and go see them. If you work hard you will reap the benefit guaranteed. I never made less than a grand on a weekly basis. Management is very supportive, positive and helpful. They will do everything to make sure you succeed and are making a lot of money. Any other reviews that are negative on this company is false. They are reviews coming from people who make excuses and not solutions, people who never actually worked for the company that only went to an interview. This job isn't for everyone, it's for people with ambition and goals who want to keep moving onwards and upwards.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

We cancelled our NILICO insurance 2 months ago. Still being billed because now they say there was 3 different policy numbers. We only had information with 1 policy number. We were considering doing another policy when money came available. NOT anymore.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

Someone called me from National Income stating that they found my resume on monster and wanted to set up an interview. I asked for the title of the position and she said the hiring manager will answer those questions. I consented but was cautious so I did my homework on the firm but unfortunately not enough because I decided to try it even though the place and the people looked shady. The first red flag were the individuals who were in the waiting room. I shouldn't judge a book but most of them didn't look like they graduated from college. Anyways, I met with the manager and I asked about the pay structure and he gave me a vague answer. He stated that the presentation would answer all my questions. The presenters sounded like actors playing a part. I attempted to ask questions but the vagueness continued.

I left with more questions than answers and that was the second red flag, they avoided answering certain questions. I got a phone call that I was considered for the position, so I came in for a final session with my manager. Again, I asked about the pay structure and a detailed description of how the firm makes money and again, the vagueness! He said I needed to get licensed and that they offered a class at their location for $275. I told him I had the license years ago but was currently expired so all I did was study online. It cost me $65 dollars saving $215. I took the test and passed. Then, I was scheduled for boot camp, I allowed myself to go this far because I wanted to gauge my ability to identify fraud. By the end of the second day of boot camp, I had gathered enough information to make a decision. Insurance agents generally have a bad reputation, so gaining client trust especially an acquaintance (union member) you will be a hurdle.

The insurance products are somewhat appealing but are about the same as any other insurance company products. What appealed to me was the fact that the union members would be expecting our phone calls but National Income wants referrals more than sponsors. The sales pitch we were drilled to memorize during boot camp ended with an aggressive referrals endings. For example, "Let's call your neighbors" or "Let's call your coworkers" or "Let's call your siblings!" National Income Life are deceitful and vague when it comes to answering or presenting the truth about what their company is really about. NEW YORK LIFE is an agent commission based company, they don't hide behind VAGUE answers!

I hope my experience helps someone gain the insider information before becoming deceived by these people. They make money two ways, the insurance course which will cost $27525 people per week, that's about $9000 grand a month plus the referrals! REMEMBER THEY DON'T GUARANTEE ANYTHING SO MONEY SPENT MIGHT MONEY LOST.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

I was contacted by National Income about 9 months ago for a interview - same thing, they called and said they found my resume on Monster or whatever and it intrigued me because I wasn't sure what to expect either, so nonetheless, I went for the interview and was still intrigued by the opportunity. Still curious I googled the company to find bad reviews and a few good ones. And I am honestly happy that I followed my own instinct and went for the second interview. If you want a job that pays you to do NOTHING this isn't the career for you. If you expect things to be handed to you this isn't for you. But if you want long term rewarding income that will take care of your family - Ding, Ding, DING, this is for you.

Honestly working for this company has challenged me in ways I haven't thought of. Those lazy days can't exist for me. Thank you National Income for the opportunity and the consistent check. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. So far I have not missed a paycheck and the benefits I have provided they have loved. I don't have anything bad to say about this company sorry. Current employee and future retired at 35.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2015

I made a profile on Monster and I was contacted by a woman who said she was the human resources manager and she saw my profile and wanted me to come interview to either be a manager or work in the office. When I got there I was told this was a commission job and I need to get a license. I stated that I was not told that I would be interviewing for a position as a agent. They pretended to make another appointment with me for another interview for that job then. Complete waste of my time. And the company is outright deceitful! People are looking for jobs and they are wasting people time to get them in under false pretenses.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

I was called by Matt for an interview with Mr. **. After a pleasant conversation with Matt I agreed to come in for an interview. I did my research and found out that they have an A+ with BBB and A.M. best Which is impressive. I searched other insurance companies and I couldn't find any other A+. I also checked with some union friends and they all had the benefits and had nothing but great things to say about the company and the professionalism they'd experienced when dealing with reps. When I read all the negative reviews on here it made me wonder what the deal was. Why would a growing company, that works with unions, have such bad reviews? Well, I went anyway and glad I went with my gut because as soon as I walked through the door I felt the energy of a great company. Nick did an excellent job describing how the company and job works. The reviews on here couldn't be more untrue.

There is a weekly base, warm leads, non-persuasive, pushy business practice. A really really supportive culture, and a great leadership team. I asked Nick, Matt, and a few other people why there were such negative reviews and it all makes sense now. Human nature is to blame everything in the world but one's self for failing to succeed. This company gives you all the tools to succeed. If you aren't disciplined, honest, and have a great work ethic, this probably isn't for you. It's just crazy to me the more ridiculous reviews people write on here. It just snowballs and the majority haven't even been in for an interview. They just flock to and spread negativity. No wonder they were never hired, or ended up flourishing. This company breeds success and positivity. Don't buy in to the negative bs. This company is legit and the opportunity is phenomenal. Good luck with your interview. You'd be lucky if you're chosen.

Original review: July 7, 2015

I received a call from a Matt ** at "The Moore Agency" who got me talking with him about a union job that I could work with nurses, firefighters, cops, etc making 70K a year. I set up my interview but as always, I do my homework. I asked him for their website that just so happened to be "under construction". I don't think so. Then he told me I would be interviewing with Mr. ** the executive of the Moore Agency. So I began digging deeper. I looked at this Matt guy's facebook that said he worked for NILCO & that's when I used the power of google & happened upon Consumer Affairs and read the reviews of everyone having the SAME experience. So I'm not wasting my time. Sorry Matt, but I'm not losing hours at my real job for a scam. Thanks Consumer Affairs!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Thanks to everyone that took their precious time to write a review about "National Income or/and NILICO" You saved my time and money. I received a call from their Flushing office by a woman called Lynn. She briefly explained to me that the name of the company was National Income. And that they saw my resume on Craigslist and were interested in having an interview with me. That they had opening for entry level sales and manager positions. She also mentioned that I would be working with Union... Then she quickly asked me if I was interested in any of these positions.

With a smile of a Lotto Winner, I said "Yes, I am very much interested." And she immediately scheduled me for an interview at 10 am Friday February, 26 2015. She went on telling me to bring a copy of my resume, and to dress professionally for the interview. Additionally, she told me to ask for a guy by name ** when I got to the interview site which was supposed to be at 30-50 Whitestone Expy Queens, Flushing, NY 11357.

I decided to do my homework about this company just to establish whether or not it was a reputable company...and more so to gather information in preparation for my interview. And OMG! Lo & Behold!! NATIONAL INCOME is a SCAM! Without a doubt, I know for a fact that every review here is 100% accurate. Based on the phone interaction I had with their Human Resource team members, I can confirm the reports of those previous reviewers to be nothing but a true representation of their HR weird, misleading and deceptive style of communication.

The only difference with my experience is that, I did not have to waste my precious time and money going for a SCAM interview. Thanks to everyone that has shared their experience here. Indeed, you saved me from wasting my time and money. Yes, times are hard but never be desperate for a job folks. Take your time, look around and make the right decision. Always do your research before indulging into anything. Finally, if it seems too good to be true, do yourself a favor and ...RUN!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

I am the creative and marketing director for a high end lighting company in NYC. I have a private high school education and a degree from NYU. I wanted to intern part-time for an interior designer for a while now and figure it can't hurt to put my resume on Monster.com. When I get a message from 'Theo', a 'State Director for National Income Life' I was at first confused. I made it clear on my profile that I come from a design background and am looking for a design internship. I thought maybe he was a headhunter.

Then I found this site. I don't care how arrogant I sounded but my response to the email I received was "An insult that your scam of a company would even think of contacting someone like me. ** off 'Theo'." Anyone researching this company, you deserve better. Ignore their calls/emails or respond like I did. Put 'em their place.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

TURNED OVER A FEW TABLES IN THAT PLACE... Y'ALL GON’ MAKE ME ACT A FOOL, UP IN HERE, UP IN HERE - Y'all know the rest of the frustrated anthem! I received a call Friday evening 12/19/2014 about my resume being found on Monster. I was "slated" for a management post. They said that they only dealt with Nurses and teachers coordinating union benefits. I'm supposed to meet with Bevar on Monday 12/22/2014 at 10:30 am, so I do the usual "check things out" search, so I could at least prepare some questions about criteria, tenure, or even pre existing claims. LO & BEHOLD all the "rave" reviews from other hard working - looking for work - soldiers. Three days before Christmas, a rainy day according to the weather service... I'm staying in maybe not asleep but definitely staying in. Thank You ALL for posting... Saved me a swipe and from going to jail.

National Income Life Insurance Company Information