Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

The Keystone School Reviews

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

For my freshman year of high school I had to attend online high school since I would be moving to a different country. Since I was moving to Panama I had to do the international program. If you're considering the international program I highly advise against it. Each course I took had errors in the program itself. Especially the English 1 print program. Many assignments were misnumbered, incorrectly titled, or unorganized to the point that I had to call the school to finish various exams. Also I was provided with zero art materials even though I was enrolled for a Fine Arts course. Keystone expected me to pay for all the required materials out of pocket. Another problem I had with keystone is how TEDIOUS and REPETITIVE the assignments are. I could go on with the numerous issues I've had with this excuse for an online school but to summarize my experience I would say never enroll into the keystone school especially the expensive international program.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

My son enrolled in 12th grade. We went through the process of getting all his credits recognized and the admission person helped us a lot, always available. Then after one year, my son was not finished because of his career and I was in contact with the head of school and she found the best way to make sure my son can finish high school. I recommend this school to any family with a child who has a career and cannot follow a presence school program. We are very thankful to Keystone School!

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I took AP Statistics through Keystone because the course would not fit in my schedule in my high school. I felt that the material was very outdated, and the computer-graded quizzes contained so many typos and missing graphs that I constantly received poor grades on them even when I understood the material. When I tried to contact the teacher to get these fixed, there was no response. I took ten other AP courses and exams in high school and received a 5 on each of them, but for the AP Stats exam I received a 3. I would not recommend this course.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

If you are thinking about using Keystone high school recovery credits, don't do it. The credits will not transfer and Keystone will not provide a transcripts which is what is needed to transfer the credit. Think about it this way, my Texas high school rejected the credit, as a last option I called to inquire about transferring the credits to their own program Keystone online high school, and they will not accept their own credits? DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

You may think your high schooler is a great learner and good self starter but no amount of efficiency in either of these things can stand up to Keystone's general lack of communication and confusing class structure. Coming from a normal, physical high school, I had structured my previous high school years in a vigorous manner so that my senior year would be simple. Even though I needed only 2 more credits to graduate, Keystone required me to take 5 courses with them off the bat. They did not send me my book for one of my courses and when I realized that fact at the end of the year, they refused to allow me to graduate with them (despite taking 5 courses).

Learning experiences are impersonal and just generally out of touch with what you need as a student. They continued to send me inaccurate progress reports that sent me into an even deeper depression and anxiety, something that I had hoped to avoid by leaving my physical high school. I feel that I learned very little, besides how to effectively skim poorly written courses. Various of my courses (Consumer Math and English) were written with incorrect answers and just a general lack of care for the student. Please do not put your child through this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I am halfway through 8th grade with The Keystone School. I am only enrolled in history. For starters, the history is ALL about the US and I already learned all this stuff in 6th grade with a different school but that was expected. The layout is semi confusing and hard to navigate. Some things are missing or not explained well. When you are in one of those scenarios and try to contact support they get back to you with two words or once a completely blank e-mail!! There is one essay a week with one subject... I can't imagine being in 6 subjects! When we called them before I enrolled they promised me my own teacher and when I enrolled there are 3 general teachers that reply to inquiries half-hazard. I gave two stars because the actual curriculum was fine. It is the service I am dissatisfied about.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My daughter suffered severe bullying in regular H.S. to the point she spent several months in a hospital recovering from attempted suicides. The last one was horrific. We were optimistic about The Keystone School. We waited 2 months on the "waiting list" for the public option but after my daughter started missing almost a full school year I found the "private" one. It cost as much as putting my son through his first semester of college. The "help" answered but when web pages froze when she tried submitting assignments we called her teacher. Her teacher told us to call Tech Support. Tech Support told us to call her teacher.

In the end, numerous over numerous times they tossed out her work and told her to redo it. After 4-5 months we were both so frustrated I stopped encouraging her to log in each day. They still took $200/mo out of my bank account. I didn't stop it with the hopefulness something would get better. 9 mos later. My daughter is back in regular H.S. She is a 2nd year sophomore @ will be a 5 yr senior, thanks in part to Keystone & their "Superior" Sales Staff!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Son Submitted assignments and assignments were deleted. He redid them and screenshotted the Submission Screen and it shows all were submitted. The Customer Service Rep says they reset the assignments because they weren't done. They are a bunch of liars. Poor Service. You can't get a Supervisor or manager on the phone and they wonʻt return calls. A waste of money. Find a better solution.

Original review: July 11, 2019

This is the worst experience we have had in a long time. It is hard to move around in the system and almost impossible to send the work in. The work does not get recorded about half the time. If my granddaughter calls, they treat her as a liar. If I call, they treat me as an idiot. There is no competent information technology support and the attitude of those they have is rude and arrogant. I have sent papers in four and time times and they do not get registered, or only one page goes through. When you ask for help, none is forthcoming. Don't send your child here. It is a demoralizing experience for them and for you!

Original review: June 21, 2019

When I first considered this option the person who signed my child up assured me that each child has a student advisor, requires no parental help and can be submitted from any computer. First we never got any sign on info or class info until WE called and asked for it. Next, in October 2018 I called to find out why his student advisor hadn't reached out to him. He's struggling. I was told there is no such thing. It's all parent and child. Then we find out that 2 months of assignments that he submitted on a laptop were graded but lost. We have a copy of the grades. They won't honor it. We have to have our computer taken apart for them. How could he have gotten these grades on their site? He was given a warning for violation of policy and we did the class they required on June 30, 2019.

Ever since we have used the formula that person gave us but now we started another subject and they said that formula is a violation on 6 assignments. They are not consistent with the rules. This year has been a total nightmare. The teachers never explain what was wrong and/or why. Isn't that the teaching? NEVER, NEVER put your child through this. I had a smart, confident child until now. They have beat him down.

The Keystone School author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Keystone School is a private, tuition-based online school. Started in 1974, The Keystone School was one of the first in the industry to develop distance learning and online schooling. The Keystone School has had students from all 50 states and nearly 100 countries.

• Enrollment options: The Keystone School allows students to enroll in grades K-12 for a comprehensive education or to simply purchase individual course modules to supplement another schooling program.

• Flexible tuition: Students who enroll full-time can receive a discount. There are also discounts for military families and those with more than one student enrolled. Discounts will only be applied if enrollment is done over the phone.

• College acceptance: Students with Keystone diplomas have been accepted at all types of colleges including prestigious institutions such as New York University, Dartmouth, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Yale, Rice and West Point.

• Accreditation: Keystone is accredited by AdvancED/Northwest Accreditation Commission and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

• Student support: Keystone offers many ways for parents and students to get support, including access to teachers, learning coaches, counselors and staff. There are also class discussion forums, clubs, and social media pages.

• Best for: homeschooled students, student performers and military families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team