The Keystone School

Compare Online High Schools

Research top Online High Schools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We wanted to try homeschool for my daughter. We purchased 8th grade math from Keystone with the understanding that if she did well with online school, we would purchase the other courses needed for her classes. My daughter found errors in the first chapter; there was a math game that had the student "shoot" the correct answer. The problem was -4 x -5. My daughter hit 20 and was told she was wrong. She was told the correct answer was -9, which is only correct with addition -- not multiplication.

She then had a problem where the student was to change a mixed number into a fraction. The instructions said to multiply the denominator and numerator together and add the numerator. They later contradicted the original statement, saying correctly that you multiply the denominator by the whole number and add the numerator.

These are just two of the many examples of errors found in the materials. This company is now saying they will only refund a portion of the total cost, stating that my daughter already took some of the lessons. Give me a break. My 13-year-old child could teach this class better than the material we received. We reached out to find that our “teacher” was no longer working there. I emailed and then spoke to the “principal” who said that she would put in a “ticket” to correct the errors we found. When I asked why the teacher had not proofread the material I was told they did not have time to do so. My point is that the student is there to learn, not to correct the materials. I have had multiple conversations and emails and still just promises of refunds. Buyer beware!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Keystone has been providing education for forty years. Started in 1974, Keystone has been one of the innovators in distance learning and online programs. Keystone has had students from all fifty states and nearly one hundred countries.

• Flexible tuition: Students who enroll full time can receive a discount. There are also discounts for families and military. Discounts will only be applied if enrollment is done over the phone.
  • College acceptance: Students with Keystone diplomas have been accepted at all types of colleges including some of the more prestigious institutions such as New York University, Dartmouth, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Yale, Rice, and West Point.
  • Accreditation: Keystone is accredited by AdvancED/Northwest Accreditation Commission and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • Student support: Keystone offers many ways for parents and students to get support, including access to teachers, learning coaches, counselors and staff. There are also class discussion forums, clubs, and social media pages.
  • School store: Students and families can show school pride by purchasing Keystone items at the online school store.
  • Best for Students with other commitments, home-schooled students and military families.

Compare Online High Schools