The Keystone School

Stars Rating

• 2%
  • 98%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?
    Customer ServicePriceStaffProcess

Reviewed June 7, 2024

I truly wonder what these teachers and administrators are doing sometimes. I'll turn in all assignments by the due date, even several days before. Sometimes, not even one single assignment will be graded, so you have to get an extension for the teacher to grade it again. Also apparently the due date is also the due date for the teacher to finish grading? It makes no sense. A due date is when you have to turn in your assignments by, finish your work by. The teacher should not be locked out of even looking at your assignments (what I was told on the phone) on the day following your due date?? Another thing, I'm not sure why there even is a multiple point grading scale. If I don't follow all of the requirements for FULL CREDIT (not any of the given partial credit options) I am endlessly reset to do the assessment again and again. This is not learning, it is busywork.

By the way, extensions cost money. It seems everything takes as long as possible to get you to get another extension. They also screwed up me and other people's transcripts that were very clear in what courses were completed, and I ended up having to basically pay for a second Junior year when I already finished my Junior year. That cost thousands of dollars. They want you to be stuck in a cycle of repeating and paying. Teachers are also unresponsive most of the time, and most of them don't offer much help, especially in the Print courses (Ex: Art & Music History Print, Economics Print).. The curriculums are horrible, genuinely. The only good one was the Image Design course, which also had one of the few actually good, as well as responsive teachers. I don't remember his name since it was a year ago, but if you are in this school and have a choice of elective, I suggest that class.

One of the only good curriculums otherwise was for the programming class, but that wasn't even their curriculum- it was Code HS! Digital Photography and Culinary arts are decent classes but both of them, especially Culinary Arts, have so much busywork. In Culinary arts, much of it does not even help you grasp the course material. Don't even get me started on the math classes like Precalculus. The course material is so unrelated to one another, and there are no actual STEP BY STEP explanations. They do not show where each value goes throughout the process, just the end of one step, and the end of the next. Understanding where each value goes is crucial for mathematics, especially when you start getting into PreCalculus and above.

I had to end up watching a DIFFERENT TEACHER who uploads his explanations in his class to YouTube in order to understand half of the PreCalculus class, because nothing was explained well. In my opinion: Just go to a regular high school. You don't have to pay and they won't screw up all of your credits and keep making you redo everything to pay them thousands of dollars. You will also have a better experience and be able to have the social abilities to make friends.

Resolution In Progress
    Online & App

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2024

This website help their family break apart not learn. My 11 year old daughter and me had a fight about how to do this and that and it was all over the place. This website is horrible. Don't put your kids in this school. Put them in regular school or another home school website.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

PriceOnline & App

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2024

They charge all this money for an online course, and then the website is insanely slow, no matter how good the internet connection is. It's like going back to the dial up days, or worse! It's frustrating enough that the Algebra course is very difficult to follow for my son, but the website speed makes it truly miserable.

Customer ServiceStaffEase of Use

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

The teachers are totally useless, if you ask a question they just try to push you away and answer the quickest way possible, so you end up sending 10 more emails trying to get an actual response. Then on top of that the courses are ridiculously difficult, I asked a tutor to help me with math and I still got a 40%. There is literally no reason for the courses to be this difficult and not to mention the interface is completely terrible. It is difficult to use to say the least.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2023

I had to retake Algebra and the stupid thing would overlap, leaving me unable to finish the question. The worst online school ever! I personally would rather retake the class than deal with the horrible site. Another thing is are the tests, sometimes I wouldn't even touch to retake button and it would tell me to wait for one minute.

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2022

I'm taking Keystone individual courses. I unfortunately lost a vast majority of my credits due to moving and this school offers individual credits. At first it was confusing to navigate, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. I saw a lot of other reviews mentioning that they struggled with credit transfers to public schools. The only way to avoid this is contacting the counselor and CONFIRMING the classes you'll be taking will fall under course codes in your state. Yes, some of the courses are vague but the communication towards teachers are significantly more easy than what other reviewers said. They must have changed their policy.

Mimi

Yes, they did change it, but it didn't last long, clearly, since to this day I haven't gotten any genuine responses. They respond too quick or too late, but each time it sounds like an automated response.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 22, 2022

I did the U.S. History course and I went in to check my grade and it still said I had 7 assignment that weren't submitted. I submitted the assignments and the teacher refused to grade them. It's been four months and my course finally expired and the teacher still did not go in and grade those assignments. The transcript was sent to my school as 'withdrawn'. I have called them 7 times to get those assignments graded or at least to be given some help as how to do them, and when I called them again about my transcript they did not even answer the phone. The writing assignments are absolutely impossible and some of the assignments are just straight up ridiculous I will NEVER be using this company for myself or recommending it to anyone else again. I would give 0 stars If I could.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2021

The most frustrating thing about Keystone School is that they don't answer the phone, they're stubborn, and tech support is horrible. I was on hold for like two hours one day. It was in the morning so I fall asleep after hours of being on hold then I woke up two hours later and I was still on hold. How ridiculous is that I'm pretty you're able tell my frustration. I don't usually give bad reviews nor go out of my way to write complaint but I had enough.

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2021

Everything about The Keystone Online School is worst. It takes 5 to 8 seconds to go to next page, many errors and links not doing anything, each section broken down to too many pages, terrible instructions. Youtube has better explanation. Organization and navigation of browser page is terrible. They basically took a bad text book and put it online. It would be better to just read through a textbook than use the online course. The online part doesn't help you at all, it's actually an impediment to learning. If you are thinking about this, don't do it.

Staff

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2021

First year of Keystone I hardly noticed any problems except when in Art online my teacher did not grade my assignments. I wrote the school going through the usual bot messages until someone finally responded. A teacher apologized and immediately switched my teachers. I was happy to get that fixed. Until I found out in changing teachers it puts me back to the beginning of the class again.

This year they have reported that they have discontinued math lab. Math lab is where the teachers when you have trouble with something actually teaches you. Though they specified free tutoring in the subjects when you buy, I was told since math lab was gone and I would have to pay for a teacher. Oh, but their solution for that is peer tutors where a whole bunch of kids who don't know what to do try to help each other out.

Art though you spend a lot of money. They send you no materials to make the art. Lessons are so repetitive that it causes great disinterest. Teachers seem so busy that they can't help, or even send a message even though I am pretty sure they just grade your work. There is constant maintenance. I honestly think that I might as well be in public school. At least there the teachers help. I would not get this school unless somehow you can do everything without help at all.

The Keystone School author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Keystone School is a private, tuition-based online school. Started in 1974, The Keystone School was one of the first in the industry to develop distance learning and online schooling. The Keystone School has had students from all 50 states and nearly 100 countries.

• Enrollment options: The Keystone School allows students to enroll in grades K-12 for a comprehensive education or to simply purchase individual course modules to supplement another schooling program.

• Flexible tuition: Students who enroll full-time can receive a discount. There are also discounts for military families and those with more than one student enrolled. Discounts will only be applied if enrollment is done over the phone.

• College acceptance: Students with Keystone diplomas have been accepted at all types of colleges including prestigious institutions such as New York University, Dartmouth, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Yale, Rice and West Point.

• Accreditation: Keystone is accredited by AdvancED/Northwest Accreditation Commission and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

• Student support: Keystone offers many ways for parents and students to get support, including access to teachers, learning coaches, counselors and staff. There are also class discussion forums, clubs, and social media pages.

The Keystone School Company Information