2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.30/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Laurel Springs School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laurel Springs School?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laurel Springs School ?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

As a military family facing many moves and uncertain timelines with deployments and DETs, education for our young and very active little boy was a large concern. We wanted to have him start his educational foundation in a positive environment where it will always provide the stability for educational success (the paperwork completed for us too). His home environment is something he doesn't always understand and with limited family support (due to duty stations being far from family), we needed some stability educationally. We enrolled him in kindergarten, project based and we LOVED the program. Now he's in first grade and they no longer have the project based program, so we enrolled him into their computer based program. From the assistance of his (beyond amazing teacher- Mrs. Lewis) and his advisor, we have the perfect team I can call on for assistance or questions.

Do you want a school that will give your child(ren) the building blocks of success? This is a school that will do that. Do you want to leave your child to their own devices without following their educational successes/failures? This school may not be the choice for you. They give you everything possible to make your child successful, but that requires work from the student, and the parent to be a participant as well. The courses are organized in a way that's understandable and helpful in the learning process. You can progress more quickly or slowly. So that is good if you want to progress more quickly to prepare for time off. I find it interesting to see parents giving a negative review to a school when their child didn't do the work or waited to the last moment to do the work. Do they not discuss school at all with their child(ren) ever? They just assume their child is doing everything for months without any followup?

As long as you're slightly invested in your child's success, just follow the school's program steps and your child will learn and be successful. The teachers are in often contact, but they're not going to micromanage your child. I've yet to see any teacher anywhere do that, online or "brick and mortar." There are many reminders in the system, so I have no idea how these parents are frustrated with the "lack of information" they've received. If you just log on there are timelines and calendars everywhere/on everything in the system. Want quality education that will set the foundation for success and learning, go with Laurel Springs. We have been extremely satisfied and find the teachers to be apart of our daily lives just like attending a physical school. I can't imagine navigating our military lifestyle and COVID without them. They're awesome!

Original review: July 17, 2020

We signed our twins up at the very onset of Covid-19 Shelter in Place. Our boys had completed Mandarin 1 at a Junior College so we signed them up for Mandarin 2 thinking this was logical. We told the Admissions coordinator that they had taken Mandarin 1 at the JC, never were we told that Mandarin 2, at a High School would not count towards their foreign language. We found out a couple months later when we told the Counselor at the at the boys High School.

When we approached Laurel Springs telling them a mistake was made, on all of our parts and the class was not going to count, they refused grant any form of credit, not even 50%. I just feel due to the circumstances of the world being turned upside down and everybody trying to scramble to find solutions, they could have been a little more understanding. Bottom line is they should have some form of screening before kids sign up for any class. We did tell the Admissions Coordinator on our first conversation, but apparently they are not knowledgeable of the necessary course work kids should take. We are out $2700 for nothing.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

There are better options for homeschool that are free and won’t cost you five grand per year. Material is not put together well. Little continuity with lots of random facts to memorize for a test. No social interactions whatsoever other than online texting. They advertise lots of student connection but Don’t expect anything other than online chat rooms. Way too little for them when you pay. Teachers have crazy office hours. 5 AM to 7 AM in the morning or 7 to 9 in the evening. Teachers have other jobs and do this part.

Laurel Springs School response

We’re sorry to hear that Laurel Springs didn't meet your family’s expectations. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we would be happy to discuss your concerns. Please contact us so we can discuss further.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have three daughters and each is close in age. I never thought I would do online school. After finding that each child had needs that could not be met in their schools I started to look into online schools. I did all my homework and found that this is the best online school private school. It offers you a fully accredited and quality curriculum. My children needed the flexibility to do ballet.

With gifted children it can be a challenge as they dont fit in the normal box. This team is specialized in working with gifted children and is prepared to help you. The iclasses that are interactive & in-depth learning opportunities. They have writing and math labs for help and tutoring. The teachers respond quickly and really get to know each of my girls. They care and are encouraging and teach them to master each subject. The symposiums are amazing for kids. They to get to talk with peers about amazing speakers who talk to them. They are exposed to new ideas and critical thinking skills. Each of my children in the span of two months has improved in all areas. If you are looking for a school that understands gifted children you are in the best place for your child.

You do need to make sure you listen to the onboarding tutorial as it is key to get emails and communication. To take advantage of the full programs offered.

Thank you to teachers, student counselor and everyone who is part of this amazing school. I never realized how much children can learn in a self-paced environment. They can slow down or speed up depending on their needs, not a classroom. From computer code, foodie, photography, chess, and many more club opportunities you will find something for your child. They have the children test after each lesson and this practice is key to future success. As in normal school, my kids did not get to master each lesson. I have found the importance of getting kids comfortable on a computer and also doing written work. This school offers both! I hope this helps future families looking into the school.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

We were very happy with Laurel Springs for Kindergarten. We enrolled our girls in the 1st grade and was told at first they didn’t have a payment plan for the project based curriculum. So I told them I wasn’t able to enroll the girls then. They called me the next day and said they would make an exception. I received the books and the same materials I received in kindergarten. I told them I didn’t need 4 of the same materials. They told me it comes in a package and I can just donate it. I was furious knowing how much I paid.

I asked to be refunded my deposit and I will send the books and materials back. They told me there’s no refunds even though school doesn’t start until Sept 3rd and it’s August 15th. They have called me constantly all day long trying to have me stay in the program after I told them no. They harassed me like car salesmen. I don’t work with dishonesty and they have just proven to me it’s all about money not our children’s education. I’m very upset with this entire situation. This was going to be the program I wanted to use until the girls graduated high school. Very disappointing.

Laurel Springs School response

We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the materials you received for your girls’ 1st grade enrollment. It is our always our intention to provide our families with the best possible experience with our curricular offerings. I am glad we had the opportunity to work through a solution with you this week and we wish nothing but the best for your girls continued education.

Original review: March 13, 2019

There was absolutely zero communication from the teachers during my child’s first year enrollment as a freshman. She did not do well because she’s not a motivated student and there was little or no communication from her teachers. To me as her parent to try to get Her some tutoring or some help or to see what the problem was. She was behind the entire year. They never sent an email or communication until a week before the end of the year to alert me that time was running out. I asked, emailed, called several times to find out how many credits as a freshman. How many credits do they need to be a sophomore etcetera and never ever received a response. I still don’t know.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Education is outstanding. Weekly they send the schedule of online classes that complement the daily assignments. I am happy with the system because I receive notifications by mail both when my daughter sends a job, and when she receives a response from a qualification. The system is simple to use and allows to read the comments of the teachers. I could not coordinate an appointment for the week of meeting with the teachers for being on a trip and each one sent me an email about the performance of my daughter. The clubs are fabulous, my daughter socializes a lot and shares hobbies. Very happy.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This school is a disaster. From the beginning they didn't properly enroll my son in geometry, so he was behind two weeks and I had to argue to get an extension. Then they switched websites in the middle of it, confusing him so that his work didn't get uploaded. They switched teachers, and the new guy sends 1 warning email & flunked him within 10 days. My son also flunked online French. They are the most expensive online school there is, and they like your kid to fail so they can change another $2400 a class when they do.

Resolution response: Aug. 1, 2018

Update: Less than 24 hrs and a great response from Laurel Springs.
      People and organizations can be extremely complex. When given the opportunity to correct a situation and a person or organization goes above and beyond to make things right, that person/organization deserves full credit for doing what they can to solve the problem.

Laurel Springs responded to my previous post. I had the pleasure of working through our issues with the Director of Education, and she was not only understanding, but genuinely concerned and wanted to fix our experience. After a great phone conversation we resolved our issues and my daughter will be able to complete her course work. Further, the Director took the time with me to answer several other questions and gave me the confidence to hit the reset button and be excited for our daughter to begin her online academy work this fall. We have always been involved in our daughters education. We believe education is a team effort, not just the school and child. As a team all of our kids can excel at a pace beyond what we can imagine. Parents- get with it, stay with it, and be thankful we have so many options to educate this young generation. I am thankful for what Laurel Springs has done, and for the opportunities that are ahead.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Well, we tried. Gave LS a chance this summer to prepare my daughter for 8th grade this fall by doing a language course over the summer. I made it very clear with the lady in admissions that we are new, would be helping our daughter, yet would like an orientation to help us. We expected stumbles, yet not what we experienced. Clearly read the course instructions that had her doing 1 lesson per day for the Spanish course. After 4 weeks of working along, seeing nearly 29 lessons were complete we noticed her grade was a 3.33%. Concerned we looked deeper, emailed the teacher and then learned that there are two systems, the LMS and Powerspeak, well they each have separate lesson values, had no clue! Did get a response from teacher, who educated us about the two systems.

During the 4 weeks, not one person from LS called or emailed us, the parents, to say "hey something looks wrong", yet nothing from LS. One might think as a new student/family we might get a follow up call or email, NOPE! Our daughter had an average per lesson grade of over 90%, yet we had no idea that the course pace was totally different. So she had a 3.33% due to different course instructions in two platforms. Misleading to say the least. Teacher suggested an extension and to contact student services, after 3 emails and a voicemail was left with student services, I finally got a response to contact the lady back in admissions about a refund. This was July 27th, the course had ended July 18th. Admissions was kind enough to remind me of the no refund policy. Suggesting she should have done a lower level course.

The course was NOT the issue, it is the learning management system (LMS), no orientation, no follow up, no communication to get an extension. Now my kid has done all this work and has either a horrible grade or an incomplete. Suggestion- Laurel Springs, find a middle ground and win people over, seems many of us seem you just want our money. So sad!

Original review: July 17, 2018

My daughter wanted to take two Honors summer online classes at Laurel Springs (LS) for her own enjoyment. However, due to a serious family emergency, she was going to be unable to have ample time to complete the courses so we contacted LS to request a deferral start date which we thought was reasonable especially due to the reason and how much we paid ($1,500).

During the course of our correspondence with Mr. ** at LS, he was extremely delayed in responding to my numerous calls/emails. He also denied our request for deferral at which point I asked if her courses could be changed to Regular (vs. Honors) hoping that my daughter might be able to finish the regular course since Laurel Springs was not going to let us defer. He informed me that due to their 'computer system', they would be unable to switch to the Regular courses. (???) Ultimately, LS was EXTREMELY uncooperative and unforgiving. They have proven to us that their main focus is MAKING PROFITS and NOT students' education.

Laurel Springs School author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1991, Laurel Springs is a private online school with a large course offering and full academic support. It is designed as a college preparatory school geared toward the personal interests and the aptitudes of each student. Laurel Springs also focuses on community and building a sense of school pride.

• Format geared toward developmental stage: Children in K-3rd grade use a workbook, textbook and manipulatives instead of online courses since they lack the fine motor skills and attention span to sit through computer modules. Online-only courses are introduced beginning in 5th grade, but parents may opt to continue to use a workbook and textbook for all or some of their child’s courses.

• Accreditation: Laurel Springs is accredited by AdvancED, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).

• Student support: Laurel Springs assigns every student a counselor to address their academic performance, personal goals and social needs. Additionally, the Student Services Department is available to help parents and students via online chat, email, telephone and video conferencing.

• Community and social life: The school offers online clubs that allow students to interact in real-time and even share projects. In addition, there are regional social events held throughout the year including prom and graduation.

• Gifted Academy: The Gifted Academy allows students to explore Honors and AP courses and provides opportunities to conduct in-depth research projects. The Gifted Academy nurtures and emphasizes critical and creative thinking as well as leadership skills.

• Virtual open house: Held monthly, a virtual open house allows prospective students and their families to interact with teachers, students and other families to answer questions.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team