2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have been a student since 2014 when I was in 4th grade. Let me just say firstly, those beginning years were during my happy years of life. They literally REQUIRED you to spend at least 8 hours a day to complete your daily schedule. I was 9 years old. My parents and I had a life too ya know?? Moving on later to my late middle school years where I fell into depression. I was getting at least 4 TGA (Teacher Graded Assignments) along with quizzes each day. I've had many teachers who just never get to the point until the last remaining moments leading to you having to be self-taught. With all of that, the work piled on my overdue list dragging my grades leading to more stress and headaches.

Almost every day I'd have a list of live sessions ranging from 9 A.M to 3 P.M which is about 4 - 5 of those. If you miss a certain amount of them, no matter the excuse, you'll prob receive a warning to be kicked out. I'm in high school now and it's only gotten worse. Same **, just more time consuming and harder. All I ask is why? I literally don't see how any of this is going to help me build a good future. This school literally goes by "more work = success". Not all was bad, though! I've had some cool teachers who were very understanding. I have ADHD and so it meant a lot when they used the extra time to go in-depth when explaining.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

4 months of back and forth and now crickets. What a joke to enroll a child in school. This used to be a good pro6 but it has deteriorated. Programs to download documents don't work and no one returns calls. There are other options ☺️.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My daughter is a senior in high school. Before the pandemic she was an honor student. She's actually already taking online college classes while still in high school and doing well. Our school chose K12 for us during the pandemic as a provider for virtual school. This has been the most anxiety producing experience of my daughter's school career. Numerous times her online math teacher has been missing or has changed in one semester. We wait 6 to 8 weeks for work to be graded and entered by K12 teachers.

She has no idea for months what her grades are. She doesn't know if she is prepared for the final exam because she doesn't know what errors she made during earlier tests. It has jeopardized her grade point average and chance for scholarships and jeopardized her graduation. This is a student who was on track to graduate with honors.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I actually enjoy the online school so far and I really like it because it is easy access and you can log in and get your assignments done right away. I joined in August with corona going on and The only thing I didn't like was one of the tech support numbers I was speaking to get help on something yelled at me and I thought that was very unprofessional of her. And asking me odd questions that had nothing to do with anything I needed help on. And she didn't even help me with anything! She basically would waste your time yelling at you the whole time. So it's like a waste of time because she didn't even help me with anything. If I could get her name that would be nice so I could report her. I just needed help with I had my account in my learning coaches account instead of mine. But then I talked to someone else who could help me with that so that was nice of her.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

My daughter is 6 years old and is in 1st grade. To complete the K12 program, our schooling time is already at 7 hours on average not counting breaks. Counting breaks (which our daughter needs because she is only 6 years old) we are at about 9 hours on average a day. This is more than she would be doing at public school, and is too much workload. We are at her (and our) limit. We have a toddler also and jobs and hobbies, family time, and other common tasks to do each day and this is ridiculous.

Bouncing between Stride, Google Classroom, IXL, my daughter's emails, her K12 login and my K12 login to complete her daily attendance, taking photos, sending photos to computer, downloading to computer, uploading to google classroom, completing exit tickets, and all of this in addition to her several daily classes - all of which have both online and offline work, and now requiring her to read 2 books a week (recorded for her teacher to review) has maximized our schedule and we cannot complete more than this. All of these things and more is what K12 expects from a student IN 1st GRADE! I can't imagine what they expect from higher grade levels.

The sheer amount of books our daughter is required to use for her classes would appear as though she is in high school or college. If our daughter's teacher or K12 adds any more time to our schedule we will NEED to change to a different curriculum. I give this curriculum 1 star for burdening my 1st year old (and our family) with far too much work. I have had many emotional breakdowns because the workload keeps getting heavier and heavier, and I've dealt with a lot of stress in my life so I'm far from a snowflake. Also, there is little instruction regarding math (the parent is basically required to come up with math problem explanations) so it is no wonder K12 students keep failing important math exams.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

We live in USA for more than 5 years, my son is in online private academy now and I never had such a bad experience with any schools in my life. Be prepared for tons of useless calls from random people with same questions when you already submitted all papers (which satisfies all other online schools except this one). Looks like this school does everything to not accept your child..

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Teachers are great, enrollment is a nightmare. We are three months into school and they now need MORE documentation or my kids are unenrolled. They were approved in July, now they do not accept our papers we sent in. My kids have their fathers last name, not mine, we have not been married yet but they are requiring a marriage license or divorce decree stating why my last name is different from my children's. They keep asking for proof of income verification, but will not send me the paperwork for both children to fill out.

They keep threatening to drop my kids and lock them out of their accounts, so I send the documents asked for, but keep getting rejected. I try to call, and no one answers. I get no calls back. No email. No communication other than an email saying I can not respond. I try to change our address, because we bought a house and moved, no one knows who I contact for that. The enrollment people are a joke. I wish I would've seen reviews before putting my babies in this crap. It is way more stressful than we need at a time like this. If our documents were not approved three months ago, they should have said that then, not when we are this far in to lessons. Highly do not recommend K12.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We are only 3 weeks in... and my kids are miserable. I have to figure out another solution stat. The teachers are horrible. They won't respond back, they end class whenever they feel like it, and assign you homework from Khan Academy. We can go to that site ourselves. We don't need them. We feel like they are doing nothing for us except sending us a computer to use. But the catch is... they can watch your kids and control the computer. It is really creepy! They blocked my daughter's computer when she wrote an email asking her teachers & Administration for help. Glad we have other computers in our home. We don't need them. They are not doing their jobs!! I hope this helps someone else. I wish I would have looked at reviews before we enrolled our children in their school.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This school has some serious administration issues. I have four children that I am enrolling into school via k12 in SC. We moved from IL where we did homeschool for 4 years. Three of my four were accepted easily and pretty quickly. My 8th grader has had a completely different experience. They have given us the hardest time for her. Mind you, all their documents are the same other than their personal info changed. Same forms, same history, documents etc. They have accepted three but not the 4th which is exactly the same. School started weeks ago and they continue to put us through the ringer asking for documents for her that do not even exist. I am told by customer service that different processors do things differently which is CRAZY. There should be a set of guidelines they are required to follow, not go at their own discretion. I would look at all other options before deciding to put yourself through this stressful situation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This is the WORST experience EVER. I still am waiting for classes, teachers, and books. On top of that I have to go on a scavenger hunt to find my homework, which by the way it takes longer to find my homework than it does to do it!!! The website is EXTREMELY hard to navigate and find almost any useful information. When it is time to for a meet I have multiple stacked on top of each other. When they send my emails EVERYONE has a copy of itself. This is the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

K12 author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team