2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

3.1/5 (60 ratings)

About K12

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: July 1, 2021

I am shocked by the negative reviews about this school. It has been a refreshing return to higher standards for my son. We moved here from another state, and I was beyond disappointed by his local middle school. He was in honors classes, and I never saw homework or studying, and he still came home with good grades. Having come from a college prep school with a challenging curriculum, NMDCA marked a returned to higher standards. It is challenging, but I found the teachers so helpful. Many had regular small-group tutoring sessions available weekly. They were happy to work with our schedule on due dates. NMDCA always responded to me and my son and were very accommodating.

Once my son did not want to move to a new teacher’s class. He was allowed to stay in his original class. I was critical because there were no honors classes, and by the end of the year, they tested and placed my son in a gifted program. I received quick responses from teachers and the advisors were great. Even though it is a career-focused school, it is an excellent school that also prepares students for college. We are returning next year even though brick-and-mortar schools are open. The only thing I advise is that parents expect that students may need extra help at times from a learning coach, tutoring from a tutor or teacher, or extra time for certain projects. Parents cannot expect that most students can breeze through it all on their own. To me, this is how I know my son is challenged and learning. I would recommend it to anyone who wants the best education possible for their child.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I actually enjoy the online school so far and I really like it because it is easy access and you can log in and get your assignments done right away. I joined in August with corona going on and The only thing I didn't like was one of the tech support numbers I was speaking to get help on something yelled at me and I thought that was very unprofessional of her. And asking me odd questions that had nothing to do with anything I needed help on. And she didn't even help me with anything! She basically would waste your time yelling at you the whole time. So it's like a waste of time because she didn't even help me with anything. If I could get her name that would be nice so I could report her. I just needed help with I had my account in my learning coaches account instead of mine. But then I talked to someone else who could help me with that so that was nice of her.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was going to enroll my daughter to K12 but I kept missing the deadline because most of all her documents were rejected. I submitted her immunization and physical papers and they kept rejecting them, also her transcripts kept getting rejected. I put up with this crap for 3 weeks until I gave up. So I enrolled my daughter in Acellus Academy, the enrollment process was less than 5 minutes and she started her classes the same day.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have missed their deadline twice because no one reviewed the submitted documents. Now that they finally reviewed the documents, only one of my 3 children was accepted and the other 2 got almost every document rejected, even though I submitted the same for all 3. They even rejected the State issued Certificates of birth. They are either Inexperienced or just don't care.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I am sending a picture of my wait time included and the number where it says add photos. I waited 2 hours on the phone to enroll my daughter and someone came to the phone and was chewing and moving. All I could of thought of was, was I being scam, because when I was hitting button 2 on my phone for public home schooling for my daughter it kept going to tuition private homeschooling which was button 2, but that’s their number. K-12 is so stressful because I want to enroll my daughter in a school.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

To enroll for virtual academy has been a complete joke. Hour + long calls, total confusion on their end. I have to follow up on everything, all documents sent, everything because nothing gets done. This is children's education K12 is screwing around with. Makes me nervous about the program altogether. We have no idea if our child can participate or not even though all qualifications and documents are met.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

K12 makes theirs commercials seems likes that ALL STATES are FREE tuitions, BUT are is not true. It should be in small print or large print, where as you can see it. The commercials gets kids HOPES UP FOR future home teaching when our kids needs it the most. My granddaughter is an excellent student and was hoping for K12 but can't now due to the cost. She can't get the covid-19 shot due to what is it, plus we don't have any health insurance. Now we are faced to send her back to school to get the virus. GOD BLESS MY GRANDDAUGHTER.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I have been trying to enroll my child in K12 VA since 4/3. The report card was rejected because they said they need a letter from my child's teacher saying she was on grade level. After I provided the letter from my childs' teacher stating she is on grade level k12 rejected the letter only to say they wanted the final report card. Which was not being sent out because of my child attending school virtually. So, I had to wait for the snail mail. Meanwhile, I get waitlisted but somehow K12 was able to keep enrolling other students without report cards.

Today 6/30 I submit the final report card and that gets rejected. You can't talk to anyone on the phone because they have filled all the classes so they only want to talk to you if you want to pay for their private academy. Which is a whole other review. I was able to chat with someone who tells me oh the report card was rejected because there was no letter from the teacher (the same one I provided in April) saying my child is on reading level. Also, all of your submissions are on their website. So, I ask why do I have to keep submitting the same documentation over and over? Even though I was told we need the final report card. It has been one big circle and now I wouldn't even want my child to go there if this is just the run-around enrollment process. What is really going on?

Original review: June 24, 2021

My son attended this school and it was very disappointing. First of all the grading system was set up for him to fail. Any public school in South Carolina is not based on weighted grades. My son made up and retested and still failed. These teachers hardly held class. This was disaster. Homeschool your children.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Do not go to this school period. There are 1,000 people in ONE grade.... you have like an essay to write each day along with 6 other lessons and a meaningless PE class for kindergarteners? They have to shut down the website each week because it needs "maintenance". There is not art class nor language class LIKE WHY??? The website signs you out every 30 mins??? Um what the frick but it gets a 1 star because my Math teacher was not the worst... but what the heck people actually like this school? So in some units it's extremely easy and you always seem to be on the unit forever then come. Calculus and we study that for like one week and get tested. :) I could go on but I think you have heard enough. If you want to join this school go ahead. I will come to your funeral. I remind you of your grades of the one miserable year in K12. Have a great day. :))))))):

Original review: March 10, 2021

There is so much wrong with this school. I could literally write an autobiography on everything wrong with K12. My children will be going back to a real school in the fall or a truly good accredited homeschool curriculum or private school. K12 is not a school. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have been a student since 2014 when I was in 4th grade. Let me just say firstly, those beginning years were during my happy years of life. They literally REQUIRED you to spend at least 8 hours a day to complete your daily schedule. I was 9 years old. My parents and I had a life too ya know?? Moving on later to my late middle school years where I fell into depression. I was getting at least 4 TGA (Teacher Graded Assignments) along with quizzes each day. I've had many teachers who just never get to the point until the last remaining moments leading to you having to be self-taught. With all of that, the work piled on my overdue list dragging my grades leading to more stress and headaches.

Almost every day I'd have a list of live sessions ranging from 9 A.M to 3 P.M which is about 4 - 5 of those. If you miss a certain amount of them, no matter the excuse, you'll prob receive a warning to be kicked out. I'm in high school now and it's only gotten worse. Same **, just more time consuming and harder. All I ask is why? I literally don't see how any of this is going to help me build a good future. This school literally goes by "more work = success". Not all was bad, though! I've had some cool teachers who were very understanding. I have ADHD and so it meant a lot when they used the extra time to go in-depth when explaining.

K12 author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

K12 Company Information