2.6/5 (268 ratings)

About K12

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: June 23, 2022

I enrolled my son in K12 private academy because the sales person said it might be better for his ADHD. The representative from this school promised me the world and like a sucker, I believed them. It turns out that the entire school is a con to make money. The lessons are confusing and hard to follow, some of the site's tech doesn't work and there is never anyone answering the phone to get help. My son ended up flunking horribly so I pulled him out. When he enrolled in another school his grades went from straight F to As and Bs. You would think that would be the end of the trauma but it wasn't.

The company continued to take money out of my account. I requested a review from the billing department and heard nothing from them. I requested another refund with their billing escalation departments and was told that I would hear back and again, I heard nothing. Now several months later they are still taking money out of my account even though I have not had my son in their school for months and the requirements of my initial contract has been fulfilled. Please, if you love your child and want them to learn, do not enroll them in this school.

Original review: April 25, 2022

The teachers use improper english and make no sense the schedule is very confusing and annoying. There are a whole bunch of tests that you have to do in a day. The whole school is basically a slide show of facts and then a test.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I am not sure if the school has come a long way since the reviews posted on here but my experience has been pretty awesome. I have 3 kiddos currently enrolled, one with an IEP who requires speech therapy. My kids were previously enrolled with Connections Academy at the start of the pandemic. I can tell you that K12 has completely changed my view on homeschooling which I previously felt was a complete nightmare and so so so stressful. K12 has completely changed our lives & I wish I had started with them right off the bat. My Kinder kid who is now in first grade is doing so awesome, better than my oldest 2 did at a brick & mortar school. The enrollment process was very easy for me and I had no problems getting my IEP kid enrolled or accepted. Getting hold of people for help, has also been easy. I really am thankful for this school and all of the materials, support and live classes they provide to make children & parents successful.

Original review: March 24, 2022

This school unenrolled my child and did not notify me whatsoever of the unenrollment. This school is not a good place to be. Unprofessional all the way. Beware. Go somewhere else. Try to save money to go to a private online school.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I guess I will start with the obvious issue to everybody new to K12, getting your children registered and accepted is living hell. It took me over a month just for them to acknowledge and reject most of the documents provided despite the fact that the documents were exactly what they asked for. I had to resubmit them four times before they finally accepted them. My children started school two and a half weeks late yet were unexcused from the courses they had missed due to the lack of communication and weeks of wait time in the application process. There is no phone number for you to reach a human being within any reasonable amount of time and most of the time it takes hours and then you are cut off, which then leads to days of reattempting hours of phone calls only to be disconnected.

They fill the classes with 20 to 30 students for one teacher. My kindergartener has absolutely no way to build confidence when the teacher has to cycle through four screens of faces before she sees him to call on him. Not one single student in any of the classes gets the attention they need or deserve. Almost every week we receive messages about assignments not being completed even though we were present for the completion and submission of these assignments. They only give updates to the learning coach. In order for a parent to be updated on what is going on in class what their children are working on and what is required you have to call them and have them physically add you as a learning coach as well to see anything that's going on as a parent.

The teachers email the children and speak to them like they are adults who understand entirely how everything on a computer works and the group classes are usually only half an hour to one hour long. After that a child is left to their own devices with their learning coach. They assume that learning coaches know and understand everything that they are teaching about. And if you follow the instructions in the learning coach guides without fault your school day will end up being more like 6 to 8 hours long. The most recent offense they have caused is kicking both of my children out of their classes with the claims that they were not properly immunized. Upon checking what documents they had I could clearly see that they had all updated immunizations and they have been provided with this information.

After resubmitting the exact same immunization information they admitted they were wrong about one of my children but stated that my younger child was most definitely missing two immunizations. I had to wait 10 days to get him into an appointment at which his doctor was appalled that the school was claiming he needed two more shots and showed me that I was correct about him being immunized appropriately. Upon submitting this information to the school they spent another two days telling me I was wrong.

And when I told them to look at the records a third time their email response was "I see that he has all of his immunizations his account will be unlocked". They kicked a kindergartener out of school in his own home for 10 days for immunizations that he already had and that they were not intelligent enough to acknowledge. He will still be held accountable for the courses he missed in those 10 days. And I have not received a single apology nor any admittance to their failure.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

The time I wasted in my attempts to access this "school" was an eye opening, deal breaker. No customer service on the phone or on a chat line. With no progress for the parent, I am curious how they deal with their students. Is it a real school? Is it a front? My experience was like trying to drive a rubber ball through a brick wall. Very frustrating. In my opinion, this school should be audited for the very real possibility of fraudulent practices. I imagine they run off some government funding. When I call any given public school, someone generally, and responsibly answers the phone. What is really going on here?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Not only did this school not support my son's IEP they withdrew him out of the school without any proper notification. The staff is extremely rude. Enroll your child at your own risk!!!! I plan on filing a complaint on this school wherever I possibly can.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I was told while on the phone with 2 different agents my daughter was approved and waiting for phone calls to set up her classes. I called today and they tell me she’s not approved. They completely lied to me and it’s not right that now I have to figure something else out because I was completely lied to straight up got lied to. I would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have parents who are very picky about things. They took us out of public school because the schools were terrible where I lived, which at first I was upset about but the idea of being able to have control over my school work sounded great! However, this was nothing on how we expected. I started homeschooling here in 8th grade, I am now in 11th. This schooling has messed up my GPA and has not taught me a single thing. Because of this, I now have to get an A in all of my classes in order to return to a public school within a different state. I also feel stupid when doing live sessions and trying to figure out my school work. I can't even look to my parents to help because they don't know any of the material. How are they supposed to help when they can't even do simple common core? It's been years since they've been out of school! Things have changed!

You would have to be an absolute genius person to do the workload. I have 7 classes, each including a test and an assignment each day. I CANNOT DO ALL OF THEM IN ONE DAY!! I've given up my holidays and weekends, sun up till sundown, just to keep up and I'm still behind. (I'm not kidding either) I wake up at 6 am and I don't go to sleep till around 2 am. This has been happening all 4 years I have been here. We've expressed to the school our struggles and all they said was "just get it done and over with" and have the audacity to put me into Honors. I literally cried when I found out about this because I know Honors is a lot harder than normal classes. I hardly passed the last semester with a C, how is it I got Honors? The school never does anything to help the students either. Emails take days to respond to, the course work isn't very informational, the workload is too much, and the live sessions just feel like a nuisance and an excuse to procrastinate on work.

I've basically lived my teen years on the computer doing school work. This is no life for a kid and now I feel lost when I have to do anything but school. I have no friends to use as an outlet either, due to all of them being too caught up in the high school party life and I'm just not into that. I'm exhausted and tired. Unless you are okay with being overworked and are looking for a challenge, then stay away. This will not be good for you if you have a 504 or learning disability. What's worse is I've had kids in my class talk about offing themselves to a teacher due to the workload. Do better K12.

Because of my experience, I will not understand how people like this nor do activities (like sports or acting) and travel. I could go on, but I won't. Please reconsider putting your kids into this school. I'm sure a private school or perhaps a different online school would be a better choice. Think about your kid and what they will go through. Your decision will very much affect their future.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

It seems a lot of people are confused about K12 itself so I will try to be as helpful as possible. The curriculum and platform is what is provided for “Virtual” and Online schools; There is also curriculum provided for Homeschool which IS NOT the SAME as Virtual/Online school AT home. I have tried this VIRTUAL HELL and would urge Against it. It is complicated and largely depends on the state/school for that state. You end up sitting your child in front of the screen for more than seems necessary..

Homeschooling You have much more freedom, don’t have to sit through the online lectures and can allow your child to do work using their curriculum, at their own pace/times, No deadlines But it is NOT FREE; actually is a bit pricey but still costs less than what most states dish out for your child to attend a public school every year whether in person or online. Diff is YOU are paying for it rather than the state, you are also overseeing their work/checking it and providing background info for learning which does take some time but not as much wasted waiting for teachers lectures, emailing teachers, hunting them down to ask questions, and do paperwork for virtual school.

K12 author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

K12 Company Information