3.14/5

114 K12 Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

A child in public school, will likely spends 80% of their time attempting to fit in and be accepted. At home with an online program like K12, they can spend 80% of the time learning. In my opinion, it's likely that the negative reviews are those not willing or are unable to invest the time. Being a parent is the hardest job you will have. But, it will also be the most rewarding. Invest in your children, that means you spend quality time with them and on their education. K12 is challenging and sometime repetitive. But, I have seen the results. For a child with Autism to be in the top 1% in all area (STAR 360) is remarkable. I promise, I am a real dad and speaking from my heart. I love my son and K12. If you are reading this, then I am sure we are on the same page.

Once you understand how it works and following it. You will see results and you and your child will be excited. Let's face it, their education is YOUR most important task. Practicing discipline with schooling is far better than later in life learning it from some part of the judicial system. Here is how it works. There are a set of books for the "learning coach." These guides will help you understand, what will be covered and tested online (with answers to the practice material). There is a companion set for the child. Generally, only a quick review is needed for you and there is always helpful hints. The student has an online account to track their work and test their understanding of the material. All lessons are an interactive learning experience before a quiz.

Progress is tracked for you and the teacher to see. There are daily "class connects" an online electronic chalkboard that the teachers use to teach a topic and interact with the students. There is audio but the camera is only of the teacher and the material being covered. They are generally 30 minutes in length. They are made available to view later as a video file (providing the ultimate in flexibility). There are supplemental readings and science experiences. However, these are key element in education. I will admit, you will need a few minutes to track down the right book, page etc. But, it is totally worth it. It breaks up the monotony or mechanics of teaching and provides zest to the experience.

K12 curriculum can be the core subjects (Math, Writing, Literature, Spelling, Vocabulary, History and Science) or you can customize to meet the needs of more advanced students. Furthermore, it's flexible. If there is something that is challenging you or the student. Step away, seek someone else's point of view and return to it at a later time. The teachers are amazing, helpful and available to you. These are the kind of teachers you will remember the rest of your life. These are the Ms. Sweet, Ms. Smith and Mrs. Johnson that you remember from your school days.

Look, I am writing this because schools are not safe (weapons, bullies, etc), teachers in "brick and mortar" schools are overwhelmed and your kids are distracted. They don't stand a chance at the education they deserve. But, mostly because, in my experience, K12 deserve far better reviews, recognition and accolades then what I have seen here.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I'm reading all these reviews and though some are great some of these reviews are ridiculous. My 8 year old just finished 2nd grade here (kindergarten and 1st in another cyber school that I decided wasn't challenging enough, so we went with K12) and my boy passed with flying colors! How, why?! Because we worked hard and when you put hard work out you'll get great results which is something you need to learn early on in life if you want to be successful at anything you do. We do asynchronous classes, at our own pace, and it can be a lot but if we can get straight A's there is no reason that you can't either, or you are doing something wrong. Tutoring is available if your child is failing and yes, you may be on the computer longer than you want to if you don't understand the work but if you want to understand it then you need to study or of course you'll fail. It's simple to understand.

No, this isn't a social platform so don't expect to make friends that easily. There are groups online outside of K12 for homeschoolers alike to meet and make friends. There is also Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Complaining about the lack of social interaction in a cyber school is useless, what do you really expect them to do to help you make friends via their online school? Really, suggest things to them and I'm sure they'll listen. K12 has been one of the best decisions we ever made for our child. He is shining like the bright star that he is and we couldn't be happier or more grateful for what K12 has made possible for us. It's honestly not possible for him to get a better education than he's getting right now and this is free of cost, that's amazing!

Get expert buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've been attending K12 for a few years now. I thought it was absolutely great. All these negative reviews really took me by surprise. My teachers are all absolutely amazing and extremely supportive. And we actually do not get a lot of homework. We have an average, if not little load of work in total. If you need help with anything, you contact a teacher and they help you out with it.

They organize help sessions, even one on ones to fit your schedule. If you get behind in school and need help managing your school work and person life, they will help you. I usually understand everything but if I don't, I ask a teacher and they are more than willing to spend long amounts of time to help you understand. It's a wonderful school, honestly. They let you correct assignments as many times over as you want to and the tests are extremely easy if you've attended classes. They go over a lot of the question IN THE TEST so it's easy and not stressful for us. We also aren't stressed with due dates. Sure, we have due dates for assignments, but even if we turn it in weeks late, they'll accept it with no questions. They don't deduct points for late submissions.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My daughter needed to slow down and have classes that would allow her to retain without the additional stress, worry, distractions and pressure that comes with being in a classroom setting (4th Grade). I know my child. LAVA (Louisiana Virtual Charter Academy) has been more than a dream come true!! You get out what you put in and we put in hard work and time into this program. (Nothing is perfect people) However the convenience, affordability and education enrichment here at LAVA is worth planting the quality seed and watch it grow. Do your part and not leave it all up to others to do the all the work. We as parents are responsible for our part in educating our kids along with this program.

The teachers are absolutely fantastic at LAVA! I have no trouble emailing them and getting a RAPID response, support and notification of changes in any subject, changes and updates (teachers only). My daughter is fully engaged and happy and does not want to go to a hard site school at this time (maybe in 2 years). We will see, but for now we will take it one grade at a time. I have read the other comments, and I am sorry to hear others do not have the experience I do. LAVA rocks!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

K-12 gave our child the chance to shine like she was meant to. It wasn't too long after regular public school that we realized how much personal bias was going to be a variable in our daughter's education. Our response was to put her into a private school and the teachers were not any more capable of teaching different learning styles than any other. By the sixth grade, we found K-12 by another parent who had grown tired of watching their very bright student fail. Their success story, lead us to make the change. Within a few weeks involvement with K-12, we saw a significant difference. In the beginning our daughter attended a weekly K-12 "Community Day" where she got to know other students and enjoy a day of teacher lead classes. Honestly, learning was fun for her and for me. I got to meet parents on a personal level at school picnics and outings and we all got to be a part of an all student talent show.

Unfortunately, at the end of seventh grade, she wanted to return to private school and make more friends. She did make friends but the school was having difficulty keeping good teachers and some of the teachers were not qualified to teach the subjects. After nearly 13 teachers resigned, we left. Unfortunately, my daughter suffered a huge loss in her education. During the summer of her Sophomore year, she returned to K-12 Uplift to repair her grades. In the summer alone she was able to repair her credits and improve her grades by 3 letter grades in 2 classes.

I have always encountered teachers from K-12 that are not only pleasant but happy people. That is a big change from both the public and private school experiences. With K-12 online my daughter is happy to learn. And at the end of the day we know exactly what has been learned and what needs attention. That is a huge plus. No more waiting for the teacher to hand back homework, quizzes, and tests. With K-12 our daughter was on the honor roll for several semesters in a row. As a mother-daughter team we get the time to discuss current events and proactively seek a more unbiased inquiry. And since she is not going through any procedural motions that is in all school settings, there is ample time to pursue her career in singing and Judo.

She is in her last semester of high school with K-12 and will finish proudly. We gave her ample opportunity to be social and she has gained many lifelong friends in her extra-curricular activities. We are very proud of her educational successes. I would recommend this program to all parents that are seeking an alternative to public and private primary and secondary education. I wish you the best in your search. (My graduate school education is in Educational Psychology.) Jan 2019.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I was put into K12 in 8th grade after 7 years of public schooling. It completely ruined me. I became very lonely and depressed which also led me to gaining anger issues. I barely passed my algebra STAAR Test (Texas test). I didn’t learn anything and was bored all the time. I hate K12 with every atom in my body. If your child needs social interaction a lot do not put them into K12.

Original review: July 22, 2019

My son use this schooling program because he was sick and could not attend school. He did everything K12 told him to do and nearly lost entire year of couldn't agree credit because these idiots lost all of this information and did not report it correctly to North East Independent School District. Try another program. These people are ridiculous and they will not own up to what they did. My son has since graduated high school an honor student and a junior at his university and they still have not fix this issue and lost all his credits and had to make them up. Do not use these people.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Please do not attend K12 schooling. My daughter went for a year & she was constantly swamped with work. The teachers barely teach anything. There are always problem with it. The teachers never answer direct questions as well as threatening to kick my daughter out because of missing 1 day. Please do your child a favor & don't attend this school!!!!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I was a student at this school and I when I first signed up for it. I was looking forward to it being a great and exciting school, but it turned out to be really bad. First off, there was no social interactions at all. My mom received an email telling that there was a student meeting near my area, but as we drove there, we found literally no one. The clubs were very bad as well and there was a low variety to choose from and everything in this school is all online. Teachers are also very bad with directions and communication, especially with email. Ever since I took the STAAR test, I was waiting for the longest time for my results and never received it until I emailed my advisor, in which she told me that I can look at it myself. If your child is considering doing K12 or any online school, my advice from my experience is that you're either really going to like it or really going to hate it depending on if online school is best for them.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I started this school around the end of last year, leading into this year (2019) and I'm afraid this school has just not been for me. I am a very visual person, so when learning it's difficult to really understand the lessons in this. There are slides of few words around up to ten slides a lesson with a checkpoint quiz at the end. The setup works for some, but like me I need visual and more to learn instead of a quick little reading and then a quiz.

K12 expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

• Best for: homeschooling families, student performers, working adults and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs