1.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

98 K12 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I've been in K12 (Georgia Cyber Academy) for 5 years and it's been the worst 5 years of my life. The only reason why I starting doing online school is because I have anxiety and agoraphobia. My middle school was ok but when I got into high school it was a nightmare. There are so many class connects that I hardly ever had time to do my class work. Whenever I skipped the class connects to do my work my teacher would email and call saying that I need to attend all live classes and that they are mandatory.

The class connects are a total waste of time to even attend. All the teacher does is go on and on about stuff you're not even learning. I could have used all that time spent in the useless class connects on my school work but I couldn't 'cause they're mandatory. In one of my math classes I took every single test and got A's and B's on all of them and my grade was 10% and there is no way for that to be possible. So I emailed my teacher to see why that was and she told me that I needed to do unit 7. How am I supposed to do unit 7 if there isn't even a unit 7 in the OHS to do? They have cheated me out of so many of my credits and now I'm so far behind and there is no way for me to catch up in time so that I would be able to graduate this year.

My teachers say that I'm not doing my work when I clearly am. This school has caused me so much stress and is the reason why I'm dropping out of school and getting my GED instead 'cause that's really all I can do at this point. If you're thinking about putting your child in K12 please don't, it'll be the biggest mistake you'll ever make for them. You'll only cause them stress and they'll get behind just like I did. If I could I'd give this school a -5.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My daughter needed to slow down and have classes that would allow her to retain without the additional stress, worry, distractions and pressure that comes with being in a classroom setting (4th Grade). I know my child. LAVA (Louisiana Virtual Charter Academy) has been more than a dream come true!! You get out what you put in and we put in hard work and time into this program. (Nothing is perfect people) However the convenience, affordability and education enrichment here at LAVA is worth planting the quality seed and watch it grow. Do your part and not leave it all up to others to do the all the work. We as parents are responsible for our part in educating our kids along with this program.

The teachers are absolutely fantastic at LAVA! I have no trouble emailing them and getting a RAPID response, support and notification of changes in any subject, changes and updates (teachers only). My daughter is fully engaged and happy and does not want to go to a hard site school at this time (maybe in 2 years). We will see, but for now we will take it one grade at a time. I have read the other comments, and I am sorry to hear others do not have the experience I do. LAVA rocks!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Awful, what a waste of a lot of money and to boot the curriculum is so all over the place. It's confusing. For example you study a topic for several days and then switch to another totally unrelated topic and then two months later they want to quiz on the first topic you studied.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Teachers left on an island. New teachers are not given enough guidance on what is expected and how to complete the many tasks that should be completed by the administration. Administrators are less than approachable and far from helpful.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Okay first the teachers are great and they are good at teaching but in the lessons? They ramble forever and by the time I get to the test for that lesson I completely forgot the main subject. There are test and quizzes EVERY SINGLE LESSON. Sometimes I even start having an emotional breakdown in the middle of one. It's crazy they say you can make friend in the class connect sessions.

That's true if you can make friend with someone on the computer in 6 seconds because the chat is NEVER open and you could private chat to someone but you're not allowed to do that cause it's "distracting". All they do is repeat the same thing. That's so boring that you forget it at the end of the year not to mention half the time nothing works. You can't join classes. Randomly kicks you out. Can't go into lessons etc. The only good things are the teacher are very positive and nice (most of the time) and the clubs are actually amazing and you can make friends there (I'm talking about you Mckayla). It's just so stressful though I would not recommend unless you want the best clubs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is for Highpoint in Michigan. I don't recommend K12 unless you want to see your student struggle and fail. It's caused our daughter a lot of stress and I feel so bad for the choice we made. We chose to try this out because she was having a little trouble in school and needed to work at a slower pace. Now she is swamped with work and can't catch up. They have set up parent/student meetings and it just makes her and us look bad when it's them not doing their jobs. It hurts her feelings. The class connects are useless and a waste of time. The teachers don't teach a thing. They just ramble on and it's pointless.

My daughter has no idea what is going on and ends up not knowing what to do. Her grades have never been this bad. She is failing almost everything and we get multiple emails basically putting her down. How can she achieve anything when the school doesn't care or care at all about their students. She doesn't even get enough time to eat lunch because of all the class connects and work. You would have to have your child work 7 days a week just to stay on track and put in your own time to teach what the teachers don't. This has been a horrible experience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We had so much trouble running this program. We had a new laptop for this purpose that was well equipped for the program. My daughter was continually re-doing assignments because the program would either not allow her to submit, or quit in the middle of an assignments. Typical school response for everything in Newport News Virginia for middle school is, "No one else has ever had a problem with it". How can you have absolutely No other problems with a computer based system. I find that impossible to believe. If your child doesn't mind useless repeats, then this may be for you, but mine absolutely hated it, raised her stress level, then felt helpless because we had no technical support that was worth anything. They never solved the problems. On top of this they continually threatened to kick her out. I did like her teacher though, she was wonderful.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

K-12 gave our child the chance to shine like she was meant to. It wasn't too long after regular public school that we realized how much personal bias was going to be a variable in our daughter's education. Our response was to put her into a private school and the teachers were not any more capable of teaching different learning styles than any other. By the sixth grade, we found K-12 by another parent who had grown tired of watching their very bright student fail. Their success story, lead us to make the change. Within a few weeks involvement with K-12, we saw a significant difference. In the beginning our daughter attended a weekly K-12 "Community Day" where she got to know other students and enjoy a day of teacher lead classes. Honestly, learning was fun for her and for me. I got to meet parents on a personal level at school picnics and outings and we all got to be a part of an all student talent show.

Unfortunately, at the end of seventh grade, she wanted to return to private school and make more friends. She did make friends but the school was having difficulty keeping good teachers and some of the teachers were not qualified to teach the subjects. After nearly 13 teachers resigned, we left. Unfortunately, my daughter suffered a huge loss in her education. During the summer of her Sophomore year, she returned to K-12 Uplift to repair her grades. In the summer alone she was able to repair her credits and improve her grades by 3 letter grades in 2 classes.

I have always encountered teachers from K-12 that are not only pleasant but happy people. That is a big change from both the public and private school experiences. With K-12 online my daughter is happy to learn. And at the end of the day we know exactly what has been learned and what needs attention. That is a huge plus. No more waiting for the teacher to hand back homework, quizzes, and tests. With K-12 our daughter was on the honor roll for several semesters in a row. As a mother-daughter team we get the time to discuss current events and proactively seek a more unbiased inquiry. And since she is not going through any procedural motions that is in all school settings, there is ample time to pursue her career in singing and Judo.

She is in her last semester of high school with K-12 and will finish proudly. We gave her ample opportunity to be social and she has gained many lifelong friends in her extra-curricular activities. We are very proud of her educational successes. I would recommend this program to all parents that are seeking an alternative to public and private primary and secondary education. I wish you the best in your search. (My graduate school education is in Educational Psychology.) Jan 2019.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been reading comments about money. I've never been charged so I know nothing about it. I have a problem with teachers not getting back to us when we have questions or problems. There is a high teacher turn over rate. My 9th grader has no homeroom or science teacher, just homework. Not all the teachers put up the homework, nor accept it the same. This leaves the child playing catch up at the end of the 9 weeks. So now we have marathons on classwork we didnt know existed.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I'm going to a K12 cyber school this year in South Carolina. My experience with them has been worse than any school I've gone to (I just moved from PA and went to cyber there too but not at a K12 school). I can't learn anything in my school work because they repeat themselves on useless information so much that it's impossible to know where the information we should be learning is, as it is spread randomly throughout the lesson. One minute they are talking about one topic and then in the same lesson switch to another, and later on back to the original topic all in the same lesson. Also, they don't use charts, tables, videos or anything at all to help you understand, just tons of useless words.

They think the more words they add the better it is, that's so not true. I can't learn anything so I have to search up videos to teach myself, which also takes tons of time. Not only that but the electives are completely useless and you are only allowed to have 2 (at least in 9th grade). If you enjoy being bored and not learning a single thing no matter how hard you try, then go to a K12 school. Those are only a few of the troubles I have encountered with K12. If you have a choice, DON'T GO TO A K12 SCHOOL!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Ok so I went to K12 last year, I didn't go to live classes so I just did my work normally. My mom told me they said if I go there this year and I miss even one class or leave class I'm going to jail. So I decided to go to a different school. I've been waiting all year for K12 to transfer my papers so I can go to a different school! It's December 11th and school started in August (so about 5 months and there are around 9). So because of K12 I will be either getting held back or I have to take summer school! Does anyone know If suing is possible or getting something out of it? I'm in 11th grade and wanted to graduate but now I have to wait another year.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I would never recommend a child to go to Georgia Cyber Academy for K12. If you don't pass and you are trying your best to bring your grades up they give you a 2 week probation and after that they then want to withdraw you in the middle of school year first semester. They also give kids at least 8 classes and then when you are in one class the other is going on too. So you get in trouble for not being in the class but you watch the recording have you have finished with all the classes and to me that means she attended the class and to them no she didn't.

I have looked up the grading system for the state of Georgia and it does not comply with Georgia Cyber Academy. They have their own grading system. I am trying to appeal their decision on withdrawing my child 'cause I'm on disability and I see my daughter do her schoolwork every day and I see she is in class. So I don't know what they are doing. I personally don't think they need to be funded anymore 'cause I heard they are withdrawing at least 27 students this semester.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I enrolled my daughter after ECOT closed. When we switched my daughter has an IEP which included assistive technology. OHVA/K-12 removed the assistive technology without my knowing after our meeting closed. The start of this year it's IEP time again. This time they continued to argue against assistive technology and said they will make a note of it. I did not sign the IEP paper so they have to bring it back to me in another meeting. In my daughter's live session they want to kick out students who are not answering math questions fast enough! They are put in a time out room then they have to ask to rejoin the main room. Then if they don't answer again before the timer goes off usually 1 minute they are kicked out of class counted as absent and they can't rejoin. They have to watch a video. When this happens they become truant and then parents are sent to court etc.

My daughter has a learning disability and she can't process information at a regular pace. Then during the IEP meeting yesterday the staff was so disrespectful rude yelling at me then they cut me off and closed the meeting. They are denying my daughter the necessary items to succeed in class and the chance to be the best of her ability. She also needs to switch to a simpler math class we were not even able to talk about it. For enrollment it takes a week and they don't call to say you're accepted - you have to keep checking on you own. They suck at communication, professionalism, and overall support. I think I will look elsewhere for my kiddo! They even bash other schools!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

They have set the children up to fail. Had problems with IT. Threatened to kick my son out of school multiple times for bad attendance. I was there while he did his school work and he didn't miss any live classes. It didn't matter how often we would call to figure out why his attendance was not being counted, they still held it against him. I would never send another kid to this school. Now I have to figure out how to make up for the semester that he lost being at this school.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've been a student for over 3 months and I have to tell you, It's the worst experience of my life! It was good at first, but it went downhill, fast. The teachers gives me pointless work, the classes are very short and boring. I've been bombarded with so many assignments and quizzes to the point I get stressed and couldn't keep up. I missed some school-days because I've gotten very sick and then they called my parents saying, if I don't come back they'd kick me out. I don't think 6TH graders should be this worried over school. I used to have good grades, but when I started going online I've gotten worse at each subject. This school is definitely not for me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I'm a 7th grade student at GCA. I'd like to start off with how many problems K12's has with... the system, attendance, assignments, class connects, and etc. In the beginning of the school year, the GCA admins messaged me, saying I've missed 5 class connects. Don't know how that's possible, but I let it slide. Then they sent me messages, telling me I've missed 10 class connects. How did I miss 10? I doubt I've even missed more than 7. This was a month ago! Now it's November, and they're telling me I've missed 20! K12 is nothing but errors, I thought it'd help my anxiety... But I can't even sleep at night because I automatically think of all the assignments I need done by the end of the week!

Half the stuff that are in the constructed responses, we never even learned in class! There are, by far, technical issues every day! This is just 6th grade all over again, because last year was awful! Everyone in class, and in other classes, had the same problems! Nobody could finish their exams or MAP tests. Because of all the errors and class connect issues. I've never gotten a bad grade in my life, until I moved to Georgia and started GCA, (Georgia Cyber Academy). I don't know what to do next, I'm so confused...

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

K12 claims to be flexible with the curriculum. They claim you can work at your own pace. All that is bull. My two boys, grades 6 and 7, were working hard for 6-8 hours a day with only 5 minute breaks in between to try and push through this very rigorous curriculum. We thought homeschooling would be less stressful and thus reduce or eliminate their anxiety they've experienced in public school. We couldn't have been more incorrect, this brought on a whole new anxiety experience that was not fun at all.

There are too many class connect sessions that are about as useless as work meetings. There was way too much reading work every day, and there was just way more work to do than what my boys had in public school. How is that flexible? Too many unnecessary emails from teachers every day. I can only imagine the hell these teachers are going through. Don't get me started on registration and the terrible loaner laptops. I'm just still shaking my head. I pulled both of my boys out this week and we couldn't be happier. Good riddance K12!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Our child has been enrolled in CAVA K12 since 9th grade. Overall the teachers are very good. The freedom for a child to set up an independent study program is very good. My son has done well. He even challenged himself in 11th grade by taking a Calculus course and several other Honors courses. He did shoot the moon only to be punished in 12th grade. Something went wrong with CAVA K12. The school started demanding that my son go to sessions based on state testing and the i-Ready testing. Very mixed up too. Although he is an English honors student with a good GPA and all his math credits met, they put his in low level sessions based on low level English and Math. He got a B+ in pre-Calculus the summer of 10th grade. (UCLA extension) and they want him taking basic math and English sessions. It does not make sense to us at all.

I have tried to talk to his principal, home room teacher and head of the CAVA K12 California. They act deaf, dumb and blind? We cannot figure out what they are doing? Then my son’s counselor messed up his transcripts for college. Forgetting to put his pre-calculus and 11th grade English on his transcripts which messed up him getting into a college? We are in the process of leaving the school as of now. A real disloyalty to my son because he is a very good student. The i-Ready testing is a third-party testing used my CAVA K12. It is an abusive evaluation tool that is terrible. The last one took my son 11 hours to complete. It included math and English. The math included anywhere from basic math to advanced Calculus problems. God forbid any student who must take those i-Ready tests.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Our experience has been sub par. The school will sell you with a lot of words and information up front. They tell you it takes roughly a week to have your child enrolled, at the end of that week you will receive a phone call that lets you know your child has been accepted. This is the furthest from the truth, once the forms are accepted by the school they begin to pull money from you. A down payment of $1200 is taken and then they charge you for first months tuition prior to knowing if your child is "accepted." God forbid they accept you into the program after its start date, which is allowable and they will make happen. You are, however, strapped to the actual start date and it applies to your refund of money. Be very clear to note that as soon as your child is accepted and the "start date" occurs they will no longer guarantee a 100% refund.

If they do you like us, they will send you materials for courses that you have asked to not be sent, therefore, your refund drops to 75% of what you paid and you're stuck with shipping materials back at your own expense. Our child was accepted and withdrawn the same day and they cannot guarantee that we will receive any refund of money. Essentially, we were charged $1800+ for a bunch of emails and phone calls. They make sure that you are not capable of receiving money back if you decide that this program does not fit your child's needs. It is also an incredibly expensive tuition at over $7,000 for a year. Be sure not to give your money to this school, that's all they seem to want from their families.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I just joined about a month ago, it started out fine the first few weeks, but when I got my materials from them, it when down hill. I had 4 classes, most of them were short, I went to my class connects everything was fine until this month, but then I found out I had to do my own attendance and when I didn't do it they'd phone my parents. October comes along, I had less work to do, they kept calling my parents again and saying if I don't do 5 hours of work, they'd kick me out! For what? Spending 1 and a half for 3 little subjects, that were short, I'd have to be a slow reader to finish in 5 hours. I thought doing online school would help with my anxiety, but it honestly made it worse. I regret doing this.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My daughter was enrolled in the K12 program to finish high school which seemed like a great idea as she wanted to live with her dad in WA for a year, plus she has a very detailed individual learning plan due to her cognitive behavioral issues. Schooling was free as promised but she was never given or even reassessed for her ILP as promised. Upon her return to TX I called the program to transfer her here and was told that since she did not attend a TX public school last year that I would have to put her in the private school they offer, by the way that's $900 a course for the year not including the additional materials, shipping and other hidden fees they add. I have worked long and hard with my daughter on her school work and being able to understand and learn, her teachers in her old traditional school were great and didnt mind me always being in contact with them.

My child never had to rely on the NDLB act, she passed all her classes with a C or greater, unfortunately kids in traditional school these days lack any kind of empathy or understanding for individuals with learning obstacles, these little monster's sole purpose was to hurt and emotionally damage my child was just one of those unnecessary problems I COULD remove for her. Online school here we come, so even though she attended K12 last year it means nothing, if you enrol your child plan to stay in the same area till they graduate. The teachers she has do not help with lessons and at this point I'm trying to figure out what exactly IS their purpose, have fun trying to request their credentials, a high school teacher has to have a bachelor's degree in which you can request proof but not this school, I doubt if any of their teachers hold any degrees.

Although my daughter has not missed any classes and completed her work, thank you Youtube for your how to videos since these teachers wont actually teach. She somehow failed several classes but was still pushed through to 12th grade in which she is also failing classes due to the lack of additional resources promised to her and highly advertised I might add on their website, leaving my girl and I a mess to clean up when she gets home, this absolutely horrendous school.

Took my child from a 3.0 GPA to a 0.58 GPA, in still trying to wrap that around my brain, let's not forget for my daughter to even think about getting her high school diploma I have to keep her enrolled in K12 but now have to pay for their ** show as they so lovingly/threatened she us now too old to attend traditional school where we could possibly clean up this mess they left her in. This horrible, horrible company robbed my daughter of her high school diploma and then tried to scam me out of money. If I have to pay for her diploma it will be through an accredited college. Parents dont set your children up for failure. Stay far far away from this horrible company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I enrolled my daughter in the K12 "public" school program with a school out of Grand Rapids MI. Initially before the school year started, it all seemed good to go, but once the school year kicked off, not so much. The expectations of what they want from parents makes more sense for me to just do it all myself, they also never hooked her up with all the correct links and school supplies until just this past week. NO one even noticed or asked "hey, why are we missing this girl?". We thought everything was ok until a week ago when I tried to get answers from the homeroom teacher and had to find some other teacher for answers. I will give her credit, she figured it all out, fixed it, and also had the time absent waved. I'm giving this program til mid-October to work the kinks out or we will be done with it all. Last thing, watch out, once you contact K12 for info, they will call nonstop.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Hi, I was a student at K12. Now, you may ask, why did you join K12? I joined K12 because I am in recovery from surgery and I was told that it was not advisable for me to be in a stressful environment or just experience stress at all. Yet, I wanted to continue my education. I went into K12 based on only assumptions my family and I made. That was a mistake. We thought: online school should be flexible. We applied way before school began (August 13 I believe). I was not accepted and told that if "they have a spot open" they'll let me know September 3rd. Still not accepted. Then came a couple days later and I was told I was accepted so we went to orientation (a requirement where you visit the state's base before you begin your classes) and discussed how to navigate the school and the rules.

For this school, you had to download this thing called Blackboard (where you video chat the teacher, although they can't hear or see you unless given permission), Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc. (optional and free), and a few other things the teacher(s) may want you to download. Now, this school works kind of like a bricks and mortar school where you are given a schedule. These schedules are basically class calls (where Blackboard comes into play) and you must attend unless it says optional. If you do not attend, you will be marked absent. If you are absent ten times you will be reported to your district for truancy. You will also be marked absent if you do not complete assignments for that day.

Now, at the orientation we were all told that we may have to visit a doctor or family emergency. For my district (CCSD), they do not allow excuses at all (they told us that if your wifi, electricity, or even computer has problems, you better have a back up plan). Therefore, you will be marked absent for that class. If you are falling behind, you will be required to attend blended, which is where you visit the base every week for 3 hours to do your work. You can be assigned to blended at any point and cannot get off of it until the end of the semester.

Now, I entered late, and they said we didn't have to worry about overdue assignments (I had 38 at the time and a few students had over 70). But by the time we left, they said we will be excused from it, only if the teachers allow us. And you can't simply read lessons or assignments in a couple minutes, you will be recorded on how long you take and if you do not spend a reasonable time you will get an F (reasonable for a school imo).

Another thing is that communication is key to this school. If teachers send you an email and you do not respond in 24 hours you will be reported. I had my second thoughts about it but decided to give it a try. First 2 days and I had a load of assignments. Only 8 of my assignments were excused. 26 overdue from English. 4 from Creative Writing. I spent all day trying to catch up on lessons and work because not only did I have to do old work and read lessons in 2 weeks, but I had to do the current assignments too.

As I was reading lessons, my Creative Writing class required that I have a plug-in (cool and all but literally never mentioned what I needed) so I emailed the teacher and said that the plug-in only shows on Chrome... Which I was already using. On the second day before 2 pm I attempted to download Blackboard (which took so long that I missed the my first class call and I tried on 2 computers). By the end of the second night, my back hurt from stress. Wednesday morning and I woke up at 8 am for my first class call of the day with my Pre-calc teacher. It went rather smoothly, but my second class call of the day made me nervous. Not sure why but I knew I was not going to enjoy my English lesson (and I actually love English). Class started and the teacher had us do screen sharing so he could check our grades.

He had steps on how to do it and I followed them exactly (for there were pictures shown on how) and I thought I did it correctly because a room popped up (mine was room 7 (rooms are a private chat between the teacher and student)) and it said I was screen sharing. The teacher went to room 7 and said "what are you doing? I don't have time for this," and left to another room. I was confused and thought he meant how I wasn't at the class yet. I went to the class where at the top it shows my grade (which was an F. I had an F in every class which has never happened before).

I waited for him and he quickly came back and said "why isn't your screen showing?" I replied by typing that I didn't know how to navigate. He told me to just follow the directions and I'd be fine. So I repeated them and he could finally see my screen and he said "why arent you at your grades?" So I scanned my screen and saw another tab for grades and he checked it.

He told me to only do the last 3 assessments and then he left. So I started to do read the requirements for the assessments. I left to use the bathroom and my sister was in the room. Now, there is this button that you can push to say that you are away from the computer and the teacher can see it. I had pressed it and the teacher still had the audacity to go to the room and talk to me when I was away. I rushed myself and he was saying in an irritated and somewhat sassy tone "what are you doing? This isn't what we discussed? You're supposed to be doing the new student assignments. Don't get creative with me." And so I quickly found my way to the new student assignments and he explained what I had to do. He left and I was hoping he would not come back in the next 30 minutes. Thankfully, he never came back to check on me and by the time class was over I let out a breath of tension I didn't know I had.

I'm not sure if I'm just sensitive, but I went over to my dad and explained what happened and broke into a fit of anxious tears and heavy, fast-paced breathing. In any normal case, I'd be fine, but I'm in recovery and so when I was done my family was furious and the next day I was no longer a part of the program. In conclusion, this school is not flexible, not at your pace, and I don't recommend it for those recovering from illness. This is just in Nevada, and the rules may be different in each state. If you think it is reasonable for you, or your child, go ahead and give them a call. They're a public, free school afterall.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The school will take your money, plus the staff is completely unprofessional, the customer service agent literally yelled at me over the phone and was complaining about her job and then proceeds to read to me an entire 3 pg script without taking a break! They are only interested in your money, the lessons are awful, parents are better off teaching their kids on their own, plenty of colleges take homeschool students! Save you and your child the heartache, you and your children are worth more than their scummy tactics.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I enrolled my son in K12 to finish his 7th grade year. I made it very clear it would only be to complete 7th grade. I was told I would be making a monthly $83 payment until he was done and that I would have to pay $400 up front for materials. I did this. He completed what he needed and is now back in public school. I called to cancel my monthly $83 dollar payment and was told I am locked in for an entire year and can't cancel without an early termination fee. I was told I have to pay $170 dollars to cancel today. This is absolutely ridiculous and never explained to me. I will never us K12 again. They are about your money and that is about it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

K12 is only interested in your money. I withdrew my daughter before the start of term and they confirmed in writing that I wouldn’t be charged a monthly fee. They continued charging a monthly fee and are now non-responsive. Filing a claim with the BBB and contacting my Credit Card Company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

K12 school process in Nevada, Las Vegas. As a single father, I have had several problems with the CCSD school system related to bullying and the redirection of kids into school that are built in good housing areas. Poor kids bully the other kids all day long. So, I have looked into K12, as a way to keep my kid safe and on track to a High School Diploma. So, I enrolled him in 3 schools to see which one would accept him and yes within 2 weeks all the schools did. Each school mailed me the materials. I have to say K12, rate is an A++. Most school are just online without, workbooks and materials. K12 is on point. The school work and test prep. will require about 6 to 7 hours a day of hard work for your kid. But my son was in the GATE program and with the additional work. My son spent more hours than that, per day between school and homework.

Prep. during summer is the key. Every single summer he goes off to prep. for school. I miss him. But, it's about his future. I would suggest, to other parents. Try to find a retired school teacher. Or a summer school prep. program. The computer time is fine, the book time is fine. The reading time is about right for his age. He enjoys reading. So, that is the easy part of my day. As a parent I find that you will need to give your child about 2 to 3 hours of your time. Reviewing material. In the morning and in the evening. Guidance, by a parent is required. That is for sure. But, as time goes by. The time you will spend will be less and less. Also, you will need good internet speed. A mid-range computer. My son's new computer, has the following. Windows 10 pro 64 bit. DDR4 16 Gig. SSD 500. i7 intel 7th generation processor. I had Office installed as well. One LG 24" HD monitor.

This will allow your child to split the screen and to read the work with ease. Cost this year was about $780 for everything. The computer will last for about 3 years or less. If you push that time limit. The computer will run slow. Without you doing a few fix-its. I find it best to have it set up to drop all temp files, zero store days for Office applications. Disk defrag weekly. Not sure if this help anyone else. Also, you will need a good copy machine. I print up material every morning, for school work. I personally like the Canon imageClass. Cost per page is very low. One more note. Here in Las Vegas, there is a physical site. So, if your student fall behind. You can take him in, for help.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I decided to enroll my daughter into K12 because of bullying in her public school. I enrolled her on May 29th 2018. I was told that open enrollment was already closed for the 18-19 school year. Months before the 17-18 school year was even over. That I had to wait until July 1st to fill out the alternative enrollment. I did and was told the approval process could take up to 20 days. On July 20th I called the school and was told that I would have an answer shortly. I called again on July 21st, July 23rd, July 27th, July 30th and August 4th. I was told each time that the school had not yet made a determination on her approval/denial. I did several online chats with representatives from the school also.

Today it is August 13th and I still have not heard one way or the other if she was approved. Public school registration is in 8 days. I called K12 and said I NEED an answer. I need to know where my child is going to attend school! I was told once again to wait. Well time is up and I can no longer wait. I had to cancel the enrollment application. In all the times I contacted this school there wasnt 1 single person who had a clue what was going on. No one could answer any of my questions. I was just transferred from department to department being told "I dont know. Let me transfer you."

On July 27th when I called I was hung up on 9 times and finally was able to contact someone on the 10th time. I am almost relieved that my daughter's application wasnt approved because if this is any indication on how this school is run, I really fear for the educational future of the students who were accepted. This is the most highly unorganized and unprofessional establishments I have ever had to deal with. This school is 100% a joke and I will never submit another application and to those of you reading this. Trust me and take this into consideration for your enrollment choices. Go elsewhere!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The K12 TV ad campaign features a young woman gushing about getting a Fulbright scholarship to college as a result of her K12 education. The only problem is that the Fulbright program does not offer college scholarships; it only funds graduate and post-graduate education. This young woman's endorsement is an obvious and clumsy fabrication.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've been reeeeeally disappointed with my experience in my attempt to register with K12. My son has classic autism, has an I.E.P., but doesn't test well. I was told by the K12 enrollment rep. I dealt with that the minimum s.o.l. score to be accepted is 375- passing is 400. I asked to speak with someone in the special needs division, and I was told I could speak to no one until my child has been accepted. (Had the necessary passing score of 375. Hello!!! YOU CALL YOURSELF A PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

If it was a true public school, all should be welcome. Needless for saying, my child could not be accepted. I called later to send an email of complaint to the head person, spoke with an enrollment rep again, (because there is no other option in the automated phone list for a supervisor) and I was told there were no names or contact emails for anyone. K12 really needs to examine how it deals with the public, and especially with Special Needs. If your child is high functioning, you've got it made. If they don't look good on paper (score #), they're left out in the cold. K12 - if you call yourself a public school, it's time to start acting like it.

K12 expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses, spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

• Best for: homeschooling families, student performers, working adults and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs