2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I actually enjoy the online school so far and I really like it because it is easy access and you can log in and get your assignments done right away. I joined in August with corona going on and The only thing I didn't like was one of the tech support numbers I was speaking to get help on something yelled at me and I thought that was very unprofessional of her. And asking me odd questions that had nothing to do with anything I needed help on. And she didn't even help me with anything! She basically would waste your time yelling at you the whole time. So it's like a waste of time because she didn't even help me with anything. If I could get her name that would be nice so I could report her. I just needed help with I had my account in my learning coaches account instead of mine. But then I talked to someone else who could help me with that so that was nice of her.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

My daughter is 6 years old and is in 1st grade. To complete the K12 program, our schooling time is already at 7 hours on average not counting breaks. Counting breaks (which our daughter needs because she is only 6 years old) we are at about 9 hours on average a day. This is more than she would be doing at public school, and is too much workload. We are at her (and our) limit. We have a toddler also and jobs and hobbies, family time, and other common tasks to do each day and this is ridiculous.

Bouncing between Stride, Google Classroom, IXL, my daughter's emails, her K12 login and my K12 login to complete her daily attendance, taking photos, sending photos to computer, downloading to computer, uploading to google classroom, completing exit tickets, and all of this in addition to her several daily classes - all of which have both online and offline work, and now requiring her to read 2 books a week (recorded for her teacher to review) has maximized our schedule and we cannot complete more than this. All of these things and more is what K12 expects from a student IN 1st GRADE! I can't imagine what they expect from higher grade levels.

The sheer amount of books our daughter is required to use for her classes would appear as though she is in high school or college. If our daughter's teacher or K12 adds any more time to our schedule we will NEED to change to a different curriculum. I give this curriculum 1 star for burdening my 1st year old (and our family) with far too much work. I have had many emotional breakdowns because the workload keeps getting heavier and heavier, and I've dealt with a lot of stress in my life so I'm far from a snowflake. Also, there is little instruction regarding math (the parent is basically required to come up with math problem explanations) so it is no wonder K12 students keep failing important math exams.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

We live in USA for more than 5 years, my son is in online private academy now and I never had such a bad experience with any schools in my life. Be prepared for tons of useless calls from random people with same questions when you already submitted all papers (which satisfies all other online schools except this one). Looks like this school does everything to not accept your child..

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Teachers are great, enrollment is a nightmare. We are three months into school and they now need MORE documentation or my kids are unenrolled. They were approved in July, now they do not accept our papers we sent in. My kids have their fathers last name, not mine, we have not been married yet but they are requiring a marriage license or divorce decree stating why my last name is different from my children's. They keep asking for proof of income verification, but will not send me the paperwork for both children to fill out.

They keep threatening to drop my kids and lock them out of their accounts, so I send the documents asked for, but keep getting rejected. I try to call, and no one answers. I get no calls back. No email. No communication other than an email saying I can not respond. I try to change our address, because we bought a house and moved, no one knows who I contact for that. The enrollment people are a joke. I wish I would've seen reviews before putting my babies in this crap. It is way more stressful than we need at a time like this. If our documents were not approved three months ago, they should have said that then, not when we are this far in to lessons. Highly do not recommend K12.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We are only 3 weeks in... and my kids are miserable. I have to figure out another solution stat. The teachers are horrible. They won't respond back, they end class whenever they feel like it, and assign you homework from Khan Academy. We can go to that site ourselves. We don't need them. We feel like they are doing nothing for us except sending us a computer to use. But the catch is... they can watch your kids and control the computer. It is really creepy! They blocked my daughter's computer when she wrote an email asking her teachers & Administration for help. Glad we have other computers in our home. We don't need them. They are not doing their jobs!! I hope this helps someone else. I wish I would have looked at reviews before we enrolled our children in their school.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This school has some serious administration issues. I have four children that I am enrolling into school via k12 in SC. We moved from IL where we did homeschool for 4 years. Three of my four were accepted easily and pretty quickly. My 8th grader has had a completely different experience. They have given us the hardest time for her. Mind you, all their documents are the same other than their personal info changed. Same forms, same history, documents etc. They have accepted three but not the 4th which is exactly the same. School started weeks ago and they continue to put us through the ringer asking for documents for her that do not even exist. I am told by customer service that different processors do things differently which is CRAZY. There should be a set of guidelines they are required to follow, not go at their own discretion. I would look at all other options before deciding to put yourself through this stressful situation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This is the WORST experience EVER. I still am waiting for classes, teachers, and books. On top of that I have to go on a scavenger hunt to find my homework, which by the way it takes longer to find my homework than it does to do it!!! The website is EXTREMELY hard to navigate and find almost any useful information. When it is time to for a meet I have multiple stacked on top of each other. When they send my emails EVERYONE has a copy of itself. This is the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Getting my sons into this program was simple and easy. But that’s where the ease stops. We’ve encountered so many technical problems on the school part this year that it cost us our spot. My 3rd grade student was attending the OLS classes everyday and working very hard in the online classes and his book work. Now I have two students in this program and things got really bad this year. Only half the time the school was messaging me about my students did I ever know which one it was actually for which lead to a lot of misconceptions. They’ve had a massive amount of technical difficulties in the OLS and class connect sessions. Because of those issue it would register my children as either not doing the work or simply not there at all.

I received two emails about my student missing days, but the emails didn’t specify which student it was for, and since I’d gotten an email for my youngest student from his math teacher about a missed class, I assumed the others were for him too. Him being in kindergarten, it’s been a hard start, so I had thought it was for him. My third grader had been working everyday and attending the live sessions. Unfortunately it turned out that the issue was for my 3rd grader. They claimed he’d missed days, was behind in work and he was being removed from the programs completely. When I tried to email or call I kept getting put off, lead around, or told to talk to administration. Which I had been vigorously.

To keep from getting truancy charges pressed against me by the school I had to run and put my 3rd grader in a traditional brick and mortar school, because the other online programs were no longer accepting students. After informing the school of my sons transfer to a new school and gave them all the information they need to contact them, they still sent me letters about Truancy. This program has beyond stressed me and my family out and cause unnecessary frustration. It seems like no matter how hard we tried or what we did to try and do the work, keep up with class, try and stay in contact with everyone it was useless.

I tried to contact everybody possible that had given me their emails including head of school, homeroom teachers, Live session teacher, advisors and advocates but it was all in vain as the school had made up their mind and wouldn’t work with us any further. It has been very disappointing with how the school has handled the situation. Especially after we went to another school and they still are emailing me about Truancy.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Pros:

Prompt Delivery of Materials
      Easy enrollment

Teachers have been nice

Cons:
      Materials were incomplete
      Books do not match what the website says.
      Confusing to navigate the multiple websites and accounts they make you use.
      Instructions are vague.
      Very frustrating to figure out what your child needs to do every day.
      Having to make MULTIPLE calls EVERY DAY to the school/teacher to decipher the lesson instructions.

Having to leave messages and wait for a call/email back. Lots of sitting around and waiting to hear back, not able to continue due to lack of clear instructions.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Guy actually hung up on me after he explained I couldn't use my electricity bill as proof of residency since my utility company put a shut off notice at the top of the bill. Guess poor kids don't get an education.

K12 author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team