2.6/5 (61 ratings)

About K12

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

The time I wasted in my attempts to access this "school" was an eye opening, deal breaker. No customer service on the phone or on a chat line. With no progress for the parent, I am curious how they deal with their students. Is it a real school? Is it a front? My experience was like trying to drive a rubber ball through a brick wall. Very frustrating. In my opinion, this school should be audited for the very real possibility of fraudulent practices. I imagine they run off some government funding. When I call any given public school, someone generally, and responsibly answers the phone. What is really going on here?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Not only did this school not support my son's IEP they withdrew him out of the school without any proper notification. The staff is extremely rude. Enroll your child at your own risk!!!! I plan on filing a complaint on this school wherever I possibly can.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I was told while on the phone with 2 different agents my daughter was approved and waiting for phone calls to set up her classes. I called today and they tell me she’s not approved. They completely lied to me and it’s not right that now I have to figure something else out because I was completely lied to straight up got lied to. I would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have parents who are very picky about things. They took us out of public school because the schools were terrible where I lived, which at first I was upset about but the idea of being able to have control over my school work sounded great! However, this was nothing on how we expected. I started homeschooling here in 8th grade, I am now in 11th. This schooling has messed up my GPA and has not taught me a single thing. Because of this, I now have to get an A in all of my classes in order to return to a public school within a different state. I also feel stupid when doing live sessions and trying to figure out my school work. I can't even look to my parents to help because they don't know any of the material. How are they supposed to help when they can't even do simple common core? It's been years since they've been out of school! Things have changed!

You would have to be an absolute genius person to do the workload. I have 7 classes, each including a test and an assignment each day. I CANNOT DO ALL OF THEM IN ONE DAY!! I've given up my holidays and weekends, sun up till sundown, just to keep up and I'm still behind. (I'm not kidding either) I wake up at 6 am and I don't go to sleep till around 2 am. This has been happening all 4 years I have been here. We've expressed to the school our struggles and all they said was "just get it done and over with" and have the audacity to put me into Honors. I literally cried when I found out about this because I know Honors is a lot harder than normal classes. I hardly passed the last semester with a C, how is it I got Honors? The school never does anything to help the students either. Emails take days to respond to, the course work isn't very informational, the workload is too much, and the live sessions just feel like a nuisance and an excuse to procrastinate on work.

I've basically lived my teen years on the computer doing school work. This is no life for a kid and now I feel lost when I have to do anything but school. I have no friends to use as an outlet either, due to all of them being too caught up in the high school party life and I'm just not into that. I'm exhausted and tired. Unless you are okay with being overworked and are looking for a challenge, then stay away. This will not be good for you if you have a 504 or learning disability. What's worse is I've had kids in my class talk about offing themselves to a teacher due to the workload. Do better K12.

Because of my experience, I will not understand how people like this nor do activities (like sports or acting) and travel. I could go on, but I won't. Please reconsider putting your kids into this school. I'm sure a private school or perhaps a different online school would be a better choice. Think about your kid and what they will go through. Your decision will very much affect their future.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

It seems a lot of people are confused about K12 itself so I will try to be as helpful as possible. The curriculum and platform is what is provided for “Virtual” and Online schools; There is also curriculum provided for Homeschool which IS NOT the SAME as Virtual/Online school AT home. I have tried this VIRTUAL HELL and would urge Against it. It is complicated and largely depends on the state/school for that state. You end up sitting your child in front of the screen for more than seems necessary..

Homeschooling You have much more freedom, don’t have to sit through the online lectures and can allow your child to do work using their curriculum, at their own pace/times, No deadlines But it is NOT FREE; actually is a bit pricey but still costs less than what most states dish out for your child to attend a public school every year whether in person or online. Diff is YOU are paying for it rather than the state, you are also overseeing their work/checking it and providing background info for learning which does take some time but not as much wasted waiting for teachers lectures, emailing teachers, hunting them down to ask questions, and do paperwork for virtual school.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

You are better off staying away. They were not good before when trying to get my child in and their behavior continued afterwards. This is not based on your schedule like is claimed. Received an auto reply from a teacher that said, "I don’t have time to explain to you again." Not able to help with basic questions. You must not only do the work and be online, but log the hours even if you have shown you were online and make every class connect. It is possible to still receive emails saying your child did not do the work.

If your child is absent from class connects because of computer issues- you are automatically going to be in trouble. They have so many other issues, but I just don’t have the time nor mindset right now to say. I am flabbergasted as to how fair they have fallen and this year they showed their worst side yet. It is not at all what they make it out to be and not very beneficial to most students especially if you child has a chronic illness or is autistic.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I sent an email on 17 August for assistance. Today is September the 30th and a representative finally called me back after multiple deadlines have passed. K-12's enrollment process is stressful when you run into issues and need to speak to someone, especially before a deadline. I enrolled my children into another school and I wouldn't recommend K-12 to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was going to enroll my daughter to K12 but I kept missing the deadline because most of all her documents were rejected. I submitted her immunization and physical papers and they kept rejecting them, also her transcripts kept getting rejected. I put up with this crap for 3 weeks until I gave up. So I enrolled my daughter in Acellus Academy, the enrollment process was less than 5 minutes and she started her classes the same day.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have missed their deadline twice because no one reviewed the submitted documents. Now that they finally reviewed the documents, only one of my 3 children was accepted and the other 2 got almost every document rejected, even though I submitted the same for all 3. They even rejected the State issued Certificates of birth. They are either Inexperienced or just don't care.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I am sending a picture of my wait time included and the number where it says add photos. I waited 2 hours on the phone to enroll my daughter and someone came to the phone and was chewing and moving. All I could of thought of was, was I being scam, because when I was hitting button 2 on my phone for public home schooling for my daughter it kept going to tuition private homeschooling which was button 2, but that’s their number. K-12 is so stressful because I want to enroll my daughter in a school.

K12 author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1999, K12 Inc. is a for-profit education corporation. As of 2017, it is the largest online school company, operating 58 separate virtual schools with nearly 77,000 students enrolled in the 2011-12 school year. K12 owns free online public schools, tuition-based online private schools, and online supplemental courses, and is accredited by AdvancED, the largest homeschool accrediting agency. Interested caregivers can use the search feature on K12’s main page to find what offerings are available in their home states.

• Award winning: K12 has won numerous awards including several from Creative Child Magazine, a ComputED Gazette Eddie Award and the Mom's Choice Award for Online Resources for Children.

• Large selection of courses and levels: Students can choose from a large catalog of courses spanning all levels including remedial, advanced placement, STEM, Honors and Dual Credit courses. Additionally, the school offers interactive activities and mobile apps for all grade levels.

• Student support: K12 offers many forms of support to help its students be successful, including enrollment counselors, state-certified teachers, a dedicated advisor, school counselors and tech support.

• Individualized learning plan: Each student’s counselor will outline their academic objectives, future goals, and take inventory of their strengths and weaknesses in order to build a curriculum that leads to maximum success.

• Community activities: K12 is a large organization. Many regions of the country have meetups for community activities, parent organizations and field trips.

K12 Company Information