1.6/5 (33 ratings)

About The Keystone School

The Keystone School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

If you are thinking about using Keystone high school recovery credits, don't do it. The credits will not transfer and Keystone will not provide a transcripts which is what is needed to transfer the credit. Think about it this way, my Texas high school rejected the credit, as a last option I called to inquire about transferring the credits to their own program Keystone online high school, and they will not accept their own credits? DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

You may think your high schooler is a great learner and good self starter but no amount of efficiency in either of these things can stand up to Keystone's general lack of communication and confusing class structure. Coming from a normal, physical high school, I had structured my previous high school years in a vigorous manner so that my senior year would be simple. Even though I needed only 2 more credits to graduate, Keystone required me to take 5 courses with them off the bat. They did not send me my book for one of my courses and when I realized that fact at the end of the year, they refused to allow me to graduate with them (despite taking 5 courses).

Learning experiences are impersonal and just generally out of touch with what you need as a student. They continued to send me inaccurate progress reports that sent me into an even deeper depression and anxiety, something that I had hoped to avoid by leaving my physical high school. I feel that I learned very little, besides how to effectively skim poorly written courses. Various of my courses (Consumer Math and English) were written with incorrect answers and just a general lack of care for the student. Please do not put your child through this.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I am halfway through 8th grade with The Keystone School. I am only enrolled in history. For starters, the history is ALL about the US and I already learned all this stuff in 6th grade with a different school but that was expected. The layout is semi confusing and hard to navigate. Some things are missing or not explained well. When you are in one of those scenarios and try to contact support they get back to you with two words or once a completely blank e-mail!! There is one essay a week with one subject... I can't imagine being in 6 subjects! When we called them before I enrolled they promised me my own teacher and when I enrolled there are 3 general teachers that reply to inquiries half-hazard. I gave two stars because the actual curriculum was fine. It is the service I am dissatisfied about.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My daughter suffered severe bullying in regular H.S. to the point she spent several months in a hospital recovering from attempted suicides. The last one was horrific. We were optimistic about The Keystone School. We waited 2 months on the "waiting list" for the public option but after my daughter started missing almost a full school year I found the "private" one. It cost as much as putting my son through his first semester of college. The "help" answered but when web pages froze when she tried submitting assignments we called her teacher. Her teacher told us to call Tech Support. Tech Support told us to call her teacher.

In the end, numerous over numerous times they tossed out her work and told her to redo it. After 4-5 months we were both so frustrated I stopped encouraging her to log in each day. They still took $200/mo out of my bank account. I didn't stop it with the hopefulness something would get better. 9 mos later. My daughter is back in regular H.S. She is a 2nd year sophomore @ will be a 5 yr senior, thanks in part to Keystone & their "Superior" Sales Staff!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Son Submitted assignments and assignments were deleted. He redid them and screenshotted the Submission Screen and it shows all were submitted. The Customer Service Rep says they reset the assignments because they weren't done. They are a bunch of liars. Poor Service. You can't get a Supervisor or manager on the phone and they wonʻt return calls. A waste of money. Find a better solution.

Original review: July 11, 2019

This is the worst experience we have had in a long time. It is hard to move around in the system and almost impossible to send the work in. The work does not get recorded about half the time. If my granddaughter calls, they treat her as a liar. If I call, they treat me as an idiot. There is no competent information technology support and the attitude of those they have is rude and arrogant. I have sent papers in four and time times and they do not get registered, or only one page goes through. When you ask for help, none is forthcoming. Don't send your child here. It is a demoralizing experience for them and for you!

Original review: June 21, 2019

When I first considered this option the person who signed my child up assured me that each child has a student advisor, requires no parental help and can be submitted from any computer. First we never got any sign on info or class info until WE called and asked for it. Next, in October 2018 I called to find out why his student advisor hadn't reached out to him. He's struggling. I was told there is no such thing. It's all parent and child. Then we find out that 2 months of assignments that he submitted on a laptop were graded but lost. We have a copy of the grades. They won't honor it. We have to have our computer taken apart for them. How could he have gotten these grades on their site? He was given a warning for violation of policy and we did the class they required on June 30, 2019.

Ever since we have used the formula that person gave us but now we started another subject and they said that formula is a violation on 6 assignments. They are not consistent with the rules. This year has been a total nightmare. The teachers never explain what was wrong and/or why. Isn't that the teaching? NEVER, NEVER put your child through this. I had a smart, confident child until now. They have beat him down.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We enrolled my daughter in her junior year online with Keystone as we were in an area of the country where she wasn't feeling safe and supported at her bricks and mortar school. We weren't sure if she would like it, so I told her not to open any courses she wasn't sure about (per the instructions of the agent who registered her). When we decided it wasn't a good fit, they then told us we had to PAY FOR THE COURSES WE HADN'T OPENED because their money back guarantee only applies to courses you have worked on. It makes no sense. Six years later they still have debt collectors coming after us. Avoid them like the plague.

Original review: May 8, 2019

When my child enrolled we were under the impression that the work load would be similar to a public high school. This is not so. In a geography class my daughter did little actual geography and project after project on top of quizzes, exams, discussion posts etc. She was writing papers on World Economy and things that my son was actually doing in his college level economics course. When she moved on to her English class the first thing she read was, “This is going to be harder and more work than a public school English course.” It was also very disheartening that they offered us no refund when we paid for four classes and claimed not enough assignments were done monthly. I would not recommend this program. It was so unrealistic to expect of a freshman just getting their feet wet!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I sent Keystone School the following email about my son's experience in their sixth grade math course. The course design itself is poorly done and difficult to navigate. For example, a sixth-grade student has to both discover a written assignment and then go to a link called "Classroom Resources" to get the *actual* rubric, when there is an assignment rubric right there which is not the one that is used. This is cumbersome even for adults, much less a middle schooler. There is not enough just plain good old math practice at solving problems. The lesson slides, where content is presented, is assessed by a *five-question* lesson check. These 5 questions are not always a thorough assessment of the concepts covered.

In these extremely short lesson checks, there is no opportunity for the student to remediate and increase mastery. These little quizzes are "one and done," so if the student discovers from the lesson check that he/she didn't understand the lesson, then there is no opportunity for the student to remediate the skill. There are not even suggestions of external websites or practice problems to increase the ability to work on the skill.

There are a number of tedious written assignments, which are cumbersome for the student and extremely tiresome for the parent, in that they have to be printed out, handwritten, then scanned in, then uploaded. My son, like I can imagine is the case with most middle schoolers, does not have the scanner access to do this himself; I have to do it. The student should be able to complete the course basically independently with a little help, not constant parent intervention. However, I would not have minded the written assignments so much if they were GOOD assignments. They are not. At best, they are sketchy coverage, and at worst, they are confusing.

On 2.08 with the parallelograms, the problems were unnecessarily confusing to solve - if solvable at all. I showed this to my husband, who has a master of science degree in biology and did advanced mathematics in undergraduate math and in his graduate thesis analysis. Neither of us were able to figure out one of the first parallelograms to be "deconstructed," and the simplest, most straightforward way to solve the problem was impossible. The problem could have been solved by using the formula for a triangle, but there was not enough information to use the formula (only the height was provided, not the base). I watched the video in James's class trying to show the assignment, but still found it confusing. When two adults with advanced degrees find it bewildering, you can imagine that a sixth grader will.

There was an excessive amount of cutesy, "filler" assignments like "math journals," forum responses to other students who are not engaged in any way in discussion, and a requirement to use vocabulary words which were not limited to math content taught in the module. My son does not need additional writing or vocabulary practice. As his homeschool teacher, we cover those adequately enough for him to test in the 95th percentile nationwide on the TerraNova standardized test. My son is in the 4th-6th grade Duke TIP program interestingly enough based on his 99th percentile score in math computation. Even with that ability level, he found this course frustrating and extremely un-engaging.

I have worked in education full time since earning my master's degree in 1998. I have worked full time in virtual education, including teaching and course design, since 2006. I wanted to give this course the full opportunity and hoped it would work for my son. The more and more I had to intervene and help him with it, the more I noticed the above problems which I consider to be bad pedagogy. The single worst problem is that the course does not provide adequate practice on the math concepts covered to ensure mastery.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

When I initially signed my daughter up I was aware that after 30 days refunds would be based on percentage of course completed; what I was not aware of is that the student has to submit 1 assignment per 30 days and if they fail to do so it totally voids the refund policy. My complaint is that they do not state this in the refund policy, but separate it out under student activity policy making it difficult to actually connect the 2 policies. I was told that even though my daughter only completed 6% of the class I do not qualify for any refund because she did not submit an assignment within the first 30 days. I would recommend finding other options as the format of the course was confusing and the directions unclear, even my other children's online college courses give more information and guidance.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

They do not care about your child's education! They lost my daughter's homework. School reps talk bad about the school to the parents! They only want your money! Don't waste your or your child's time!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We love the Keystone Online School. It has brought so much knowledge to my daughter. Recommend it to anyone considering private online school. It is difficult, but worth it! Much better than any regular public school.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been homeschooled my whole life! I switched from K12 to Keystone after a long time and I love it. Great education is provided for a reasonable price per course ratio, and although assignments are long and tedious, I feel like I learn something new and significant from each one of them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've been Homeschooling my whole life, but recently they ran out of spots at my usual school. So, I transferred to Keystone to finish 7th Grade. Here's the problem: they overwork us. I know, I know, You might be assuming that I'm a Lazy bum who just doesn't like school. However, they give us papers and papers and papers of work to do, telling us to search (Without giving us any information, other than definitions. )about the topic, with only a week to do it. When I say papers, I mean an essay, and maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs a week, in ONE subject. Now, If I was a genius, who didn't mind the brain sucked out of her, Then I would be alright with this. However, I'm not.

We called them about this problem as well, and they said, "It was just like public school," However, my mom is friends with a Middle School Teacher, and she disagrees. She said that some things that I was doing were college-level assignments. I'm in 7th Grade, not college! On average I have about 20 graded assignments to do. A week. I'm losing motivation to do schoolwork, because there's so much to do! Whether this school is worth the money they want you to pay, or not, that's up to you.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Worse customer service ever. I tried to sign up online for my son to take a credit recovery class and it was impossible. Try to get help online and the person online support was useless. Got someone on the phone on a Monday after waiting for 45 minutes and it took them forever to get on the phone. Stated they will send me the information the following business day and I had to call them a week later to get the info for my son to start the class. I decided to withdraw my son because of the horrible service and they did not withdraw any of the money. They kept the $160 I paid for a class that my son didn't even enrolled in. I call that stealing.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Complete waste. Impossible to get ahold of anyone. MOST of the links in the site either do not work at all or no longer exist. CONSTANT issues with the site. Don't waste your money or your child's time.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My son is a high student and we tried Keystone for half a semester and it went well but after that it went downhill fast. The amount of work they make students do is ridiculous. I was told the work would be equivalent to public school. After complaining and complaining because now my son has fallen behind, I once again called and they stated it was harder than public schools. No one follows up and the teachers really do not seem to care. There is no teaching involved AT ALL. It's like having a teacher's aide just grade work all day. Once he is caught up I plan to move him to a different program. This curriculum will definitely detour kids away from college. I put myself through college online and that was a breeze compare to this. Completely disgusted!

Original review: March 21, 2018

This was my first time trying an online school and my child is in the 10th grade. It started out pretty rough and I ask for contact information of the "Mentor". The person who signed us up led me to believe he would have. I was quickly told that person did not exist. It soon became obvious the courses were more than my child could do on his own. I decided to take him out of Keystone. After withdrawing, I was told that I still have to pay the full amount as if he was still attending for the whole year. They only give full refunds up to 30 days. I understand I wouldn't get money back, but if they are no longer providing services why am I still paying as if he was there?

They say I should have read this policy in the terms and conditions during enrollment but I didn't see it! I not only feel they are deceitful but there isn't the support they lead you to believe they will provide, not really any communication with real teachers. It is unfortunate I have to give them a rating of 1 but I CANNOT HONESTLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This was our first time trying an online school and my son is in the 8th grade. It started out pretty good but the courses quickly became more than my son could do on his own. We decided to take him out and reenroll him in our local school. After withdrawing, I was told that I still have to pay the full amount as if he was still attending for the whole year. They only give full refunds up to 30 days. I understand I wouldn't get money back, but why am I still paying as if he was there? They say I should have read this policy in the terms and conditions during enrollment but I didn't see it. Very hard to deal with and would not recommend for this reason and because there is not any communication with real teachers.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have used the K12 public online schools for two other kids in the house, so we were not new to the online experience. This is truly a self-paced program, which my son prefers so that he can work on assignments as quickly as he can and use his afternoons for golf. The classes are challenging and focus a great deal on writing papers, and incorporating MLA format in all classes.

You can print a daily schedule based on your projected end date for the courses. It's not completely accurate, but in general works fairly well (it doesn't take into account the time you might need for a paper vs. a 5 question quiz). If your child cannot stay on task and gets behind, you do have an entire year to finish a course. However, if you are trying to finish it like a typical school year they can definitely run into problems if you are not supervising or your child is not motivated.

To give you a rough daily idea of what we're doing... he starts class between 7 and 8 am. He takes a little break between each, and works about an hour a day on each (they have 5 classes). He's done for the day around noon, and this is a schedule for him to complete the semester in 3 months (working Mon-Fri). It's great for kids in extracurricular activities, or those who work and need to change schedules around. As far as online schools go, I am very happy with the choice. People who complain about it likely wouldn't do well with any online school.

Teachers are prompt to respond to emails and you can call and get help asap during regular business hours. There are NO live classes to watch. The lessons do contain videos at times, but in general the middle school classes are materials the kids sit and read. They're organized and closely match or exceed the honors classes we switched from in our public schools.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

My daughter wanted to take a language that wasn't offered at her public high school, so we signed her up at Keystone. She just finished German 1 and recently started German 2. She's very satisfied with both classes. My husband is fluent in German, he reviewed some of the lessons and says the material is accurate. There is a teacher assigned to the classroom. My daughter has contacted the teacher 3-4 times throughout the courses with questions and the teacher always responded within a day.

This program IS NOT EASY, but is on par with a high school level course. A typical course in a "brick and mortar" public school system is about 45 minutes a day for 180 days, and Keystone courses take just about the same amount of time. You need to complete all the lessons and assignments before the course is considered complete. The lessons are very comprehensive. The assessments are taken directly from learned material, so as long as the student takes notes and studies, they'll find the quizzes and tests to be relevant and of an appropriate degree of difficulty. Keystone uses "Blackboard" to deliver the course material, which is the same software most colleges use. I would definitely recommend Keystone.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

We wanted to try homeschool for my daughter. We purchased 8th grade math from Keystone with the understanding that if she did well with online school, we would purchase the other courses needed for her classes. My daughter found errors in the first chapter; there was a math game that had the student "shoot" the correct answer. The problem was -4 x -5. My daughter hit 20 and was told she was wrong. She was told the correct answer was -9, which is only correct with addition -- not multiplication.

She then had a problem where the student was to change a mixed number into a fraction. The instructions said to multiply the denominator and numerator together and add the numerator. They later contradicted the original statement, saying correctly that you multiply the denominator by the whole number and add the numerator.

These are just two of the many examples of errors found in the materials. This company is now saying they will only refund a portion of the total cost, stating that my daughter already took some of the lessons. Give me a break. My 13-year-old child could teach this class better than the material we received. We reached out to find that our “teacher” was no longer working there. I emailed and then spoke to the “principal” who said that she would put in a “ticket” to correct the errors we found. When I asked why the teacher had not proofread the material I was told they did not have time to do so. My point is that the student is there to learn, not to correct the materials. I have had multiple conversations and emails and still just promises of refunds. Buyer beware!

The Keystone School Company Information