2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

The Keystone School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Keystone School?

Original review: July 11, 2019

This is the worst experience we have had in a long time. It is hard to move around in the system and almost impossible to send the work in. The work does not get recorded about half the time. If my granddaughter calls, they treat her as a liar. If I call, they treat me as an idiot. There is no competent information technology support and the attitude of those they have is rude and arrogant. I have sent papers in four and time times and they do not get registered, or only one page goes through. When you ask for help, none is forthcoming. Don't send your child here. It is a demoralizing experience for them and for you!

Original review: June 21, 2019

When I first considered this option the person who signed my child up assured me that each child has a student advisor, requires no parental help and can be submitted from any computer. First we never got any sign on info or class info until WE called and asked for it. Next, in October 2018 I called to find out why his student advisor hadn't reached out to him. He's struggling. I was told there is no such thing. It's all parent and child. Then we find out that 2 months of assignments that he submitted on a laptop were graded but lost. We have a copy of the grades. They won't honor it. We have to have our computer taken apart for them. How could he have gotten these grades on their site? He was given a warning for violation of policy and we did the class they required on June 30, 2019.

Ever since we have used the formula that person gave us but now we started another subject and they said that formula is a violation on 6 assignments. They are not consistent with the rules. This year has been a total nightmare. The teachers never explain what was wrong and/or why. Isn't that the teaching? NEVER, NEVER put your child through this. I had a smart, confident child until now. They have beat him down.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We enrolled my daughter in her junior year online with Keystone as we were in an area of the country where she wasn't feeling safe and supported at her bricks and mortar school. We weren't sure if she would like it, so I told her not to open any courses she wasn't sure about (per the instructions of the agent who registered her). When we decided it wasn't a good fit, they then told us we had to PAY FOR THE COURSES WE HADN'T OPENED because their money back guarantee only applies to courses you have worked on. It makes no sense. Six years later they still have debt collectors coming after us. Avoid them like the plague.

Original review: May 8, 2019

When my child enrolled we were under the impression that the work load would be similar to a public high school. This is not so. In a geography class my daughter did little actual geography and project after project on top of quizzes, exams, discussion posts etc. She was writing papers on World Economy and things that my son was actually doing in his college level economics course. When she moved on to her English class the first thing she read was, “This is going to be harder and more work than a public school English course.” It was also very disheartening that they offered us no refund when we paid for four classes and claimed not enough assignments were done monthly. I would not recommend this program. It was so unrealistic to expect of a freshman just getting their feet wet!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I sent Keystone School the following email about my son's experience in their sixth grade math course. The course design itself is poorly done and difficult to navigate. For example, a sixth-grade student has to both discover a written assignment and then go to a link called "Classroom Resources" to get the *actual* rubric, when there is an assignment rubric right there which is not the one that is used. This is cumbersome even for adults, much less a middle schooler. There is not enough just plain good old math practice at solving problems. The lesson slides, where content is presented, is assessed by a *five-question* lesson check. These 5 questions are not always a thorough assessment of the concepts covered.

In these extremely short lesson checks, there is no opportunity for the student to remediate and increase mastery. These little quizzes are "one and done," so if the student discovers from the lesson check that he/she didn't understand the lesson, then there is no opportunity for the student to remediate the skill. There are not even suggestions of external websites or practice problems to increase the ability to work on the skill.

There are a number of tedious written assignments, which are cumbersome for the student and extremely tiresome for the parent, in that they have to be printed out, handwritten, then scanned in, then uploaded. My son, like I can imagine is the case with most middle schoolers, does not have the scanner access to do this himself; I have to do it. The student should be able to complete the course basically independently with a little help, not constant parent intervention. However, I would not have minded the written assignments so much if they were GOOD assignments. They are not. At best, they are sketchy coverage, and at worst, they are confusing.

On 2.08 with the parallelograms, the problems were unnecessarily confusing to solve - if solvable at all. I showed this to my husband, who has a master of science degree in biology and did advanced mathematics in undergraduate math and in his graduate thesis analysis. Neither of us were able to figure out one of the first parallelograms to be "deconstructed," and the simplest, most straightforward way to solve the problem was impossible. The problem could have been solved by using the formula for a triangle, but there was not enough information to use the formula (only the height was provided, not the base). I watched the video in James's class trying to show the assignment, but still found it confusing. When two adults with advanced degrees find it bewildering, you can imagine that a sixth grader will.

There was an excessive amount of cutesy, "filler" assignments like "math journals," forum responses to other students who are not engaged in any way in discussion, and a requirement to use vocabulary words which were not limited to math content taught in the module. My son does not need additional writing or vocabulary practice. As his homeschool teacher, we cover those adequately enough for him to test in the 95th percentile nationwide on the TerraNova standardized test. My son is in the 4th-6th grade Duke TIP program interestingly enough based on his 99th percentile score in math computation. Even with that ability level, he found this course frustrating and extremely un-engaging.

I have worked in education full time since earning my master's degree in 1998. I have worked full time in virtual education, including teaching and course design, since 2006. I wanted to give this course the full opportunity and hoped it would work for my son. The more and more I had to intervene and help him with it, the more I noticed the above problems which I consider to be bad pedagogy. The single worst problem is that the course does not provide adequate practice on the math concepts covered to ensure mastery.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

When I initially signed my daughter up I was aware that after 30 days refunds would be based on percentage of course completed; what I was not aware of is that the student has to submit 1 assignment per 30 days and if they fail to do so it totally voids the refund policy. My complaint is that they do not state this in the refund policy, but separate it out under student activity policy making it difficult to actually connect the 2 policies. I was told that even though my daughter only completed 6% of the class I do not qualify for any refund because she did not submit an assignment within the first 30 days. I would recommend finding other options as the format of the course was confusing and the directions unclear, even my other children's online college courses give more information and guidance.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

They do not care about your child's education! They lost my daughter's homework. School reps talk bad about the school to the parents! They only want your money! Don't waste your or your child's time!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We love the Keystone Online School. It has brought so much knowledge to my daughter. Recommend it to anyone considering private online school. It is difficult, but worth it! Much better than any regular public school.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been homeschooled my whole life! I switched from K12 to Keystone after a long time and I love it. Great education is provided for a reasonable price per course ratio, and although assignments are long and tedious, I feel like I learn something new and significant from each one of them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've been Homeschooling my whole life, but recently they ran out of spots at my usual school. So, I transferred to Keystone to finish 7th Grade. Here's the problem: they overwork us. I know, I know, You might be assuming that I'm a Lazy bum who just doesn't like school. However, they give us papers and papers and papers of work to do, telling us to search (Without giving us any information, other than definitions. )about the topic, with only a week to do it. When I say papers, I mean an essay, and maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs a week, in ONE subject. Now, If I was a genius, who didn't mind the brain sucked out of her, Then I would be alright with this. However, I'm not.

We called them about this problem as well, and they said, "It was just like public school," However, my mom is friends with a Middle School Teacher, and she disagrees. She said that some things that I was doing were college-level assignments. I'm in 7th Grade, not college! On average I have about 20 graded assignments to do. A week. I'm losing motivation to do schoolwork, because there's so much to do! Whether this school is worth the money they want you to pay, or not, that's up to you.

The Keystone School Company Information