Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.81/5
Get Pricing

Whitmore School is an online high school with several courses that offer diplomas accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

BOTTOM LINE

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

PROS

• Accredited
  • Self-paced
  • Four diploma options
  • Transferable credits

CONS

• Pricier than some other options
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Top Whitmore School Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high school. It has a good design for the website. I hope I can have more fun here.

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for many schools, I'm so happy that I chose Whitmore School.

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for arithmetic. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-on-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Because Whitmore is an open-enrollment program, you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

The Diploma track offers basic homeschooling and is ideal for parents who want to be in charge of their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional guidance from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Adult Education Diploma and Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring are for adult students and those who need math support.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,899 annually or $2,199 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over the course of six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My daughter came across Whitmore. She had some medical issues that made her have to withdraw from the brick and mortar school she was going to. We asked around and somebody suggested Connections Academy and we couldn't get in because it was the middle of the quarter. So we did another online school, Indiana Career Academy, and she passed everything. But she got pretty far behind. But that was when her health was at her worst. Then, after a while, she got better and tried a brick and mortar school. She knew she didn't want to go back to the Indiana Career Academy. She was doing online research on her own for a long time. There was another one we almost signed up for but then she ended up finding another site that really gave it bad reviews. She saw really good reviews for Whitmore.

When she signed up for it, it was nice. It was really easy to get ahold of somebody. But one thing that was a lot better with Whitmore than the last school is, with the last school, I was getting phone calls every single day. I was getting multiple emails. Part of that was because she was missing the online class because it was timed. One thing that's great about Whitmore is she can do it at her own pace. With her having chronic fatigue, she can't necessarily sign in for class at 8 a.m.

With math, she was going to get an A because she's going to learn the material because you resubmit until the material was correct. That was good. My daughter learned a lot in math. The only thing that has been a little bit hard was when she was doing assignment, and they would have a redo it, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong for a while. She wasn't able to get that explanation. But that might have been her being shy and not willing to ask. But with math, I do math for a living so a lot of times, I would just help her out. Whitmore has been really great. The level of communication is perfect. It's not taking me away from my full time job. She's able to do it on her own and she's very happy.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Jill! Your daughter is doing really well, I love seeing all A's!
Working at your own pace is so important, it gives everyone the chance to really master the material. Please tell her to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

We were having some issues with the local public school so we started looking at homeschool options even though I didn't really think that that was gonna be a good option for us. I then started researching some of the online private schools and looked at a lot of the information and the reviews that Whitmore School had. I went to the website and thought they would probably be a good fit for my son. There were a lot of online reviews for the school and I liked that there is a mastery program where he would be made to continue to do it until he gets it. My son enrolled last October. We sent in his transcripts and after they reviewed him, we talked to somebody about which classes he should take.

Last year, my son's biggest issue when he first started was getting some of the assignments to submit, especially the Math assignments that were really tricky. We called and somebody helped with IP issues. We spoke to him and he still couldn't get it so we kinda did a little conference call. It was me, my son, and them. We got everything resolved and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. I also talked to my son's counselor and we recently discussed some options for his classes for this year. She was very helpful and any interactions I had were great.

Whitmore is a much better fit for my son simply because sitting in class and listening to somebody talk is not really how he learns. He would tend to kinda zone out during class. Being online, he reads and he spends more time on the things that he doesn't understand as opposed to having somebody talk about the things that he already knows or are not an issue for him. It was an experience at first to try to have the discipline to actually sit and do the classes because the theory was, "I have a year, so I don't really need to do this right now." That was the hardest struggle for him. But we have it now and he's enjoying this. I haven't heard anything about him even wanting to go back to public school.

Also, I don't have any problem with the cost of the school. I don't think it's outrageous at all given what they get. My son gets a response if he asks a teacher a question or when he turns things in. There's always a response within 24 hours. He gets any help that he needs. We paid for the Math tutor last year which my son used a couple of times right at the beginning, but it was more trying to get technical questions answered. That really should've been the IT person. Otherwise, everything you get for your money.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your kind review Terri. We are so pleased your son is having success with our mastery learning system. When students can learn at their own pace they achieve a higher level of understanding and retention. Please tell him to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My daughter had other commitments that made the traditional school schedule not feasible any longer. So, we needed an online option that could work around her other commitments: to still have the ability to have an excellent education but have the flexibility in terms of the timing, time of day, deadlines on assignments, and teachers who work with them around their schedule. With Whitmore School, I liked that with mastery-based learning, the students are responsible for learning how to master the content with the guidance of the teacher and are able to use the platform to succeed.

The enrollment process was very easy for us. We looked at the school for a few months before we finally enrolled because she was still enrolled in a traditional school at that point. She finished out the school year, and we were initially intending to enroll a little bit later but the Whitmore enrollments had increased substantially and we didn't want to get locked out. So, we enrolled her a week or two after she finished her prior school year.

The process was very straightforward. We were able to register for an online open house. She was able to get any questions answered and see a general overview of what the student desk looks like, how different forms of communication are handled, and some sample course work that was available to look at online. She could review a syllabus or a sample demo lesson to give her an overview and see if she was comfortable with the platform. Then, we were able to complete the forms and they were very quick in processing everything and turning it around. This included looking at her prior transcript to get that transferred over and getting her started on her course work. Everyone was very responsive and made the process easy.

My daughter has been very pleased in terms of the teacher's accessibility and her ability to get questions answered or clarification on certain things. In the beginning, there was a slight learning curve with getting used to the mastery-based structure. She now understands how to manage that work back and forth, and how to ask questions of the teachers. It’s been good! They've been very quick to get back to her, either within the time frame she was told or earlier. We are very pleased with the education that she is receiving at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your great review Stacey. I appreciate all your kind words about our admissions department as well as our teachers. Everyone is very dedicated to our students success, it is our primary goal.
    Your daughter is doing very good work with us and her grades reflect it. She is also dedicated to her studies, she is submitting work every day of the week! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 16, 2020

My son had been going to a private school for years. The cost of private school for high school here jumps about $10,000 a year on top of what we were already paying, plus my daughter is in college and so the cost for private high school was not feasible at that point. The public schools here were not even an option. They were beyond bad. So our options were online school or homeschooling of some other fashion.

I did a lot of research. There is a local to Texas online school, but it’s a public school, which I wasn’t crazy about because my kids have never been in public school, so I didn't know that the curriculum would match up with what they were used to. Also, we flat-out weren’t eligible for it because the kids should have been in public school to be eligible for the online public school option so that wasn’t an option for us. But Whitmore was the best ranked and the most highly recommended. They were also accredited and being accredited really meant a lot to us. The cost was not that steep. In fact, it costs less to go to Whitmore than to play one sport. This was a very reasonably priced option.

I talked to the counselor before we decided to join. I really liked her and she was very nice. She actually helped me and walked me through the enrollment process. I emailed the school, explained our situation, asked for some information, and talked to them quite a bit. Once we finally decided to enroll, it was super simple. It was just essentially follow a website, fill out some links, and give them my credit card number.

The adjustment period was a little rough. When my son first started there, it took a little bit of time for him to get into the groove of organizing and managing his time himself, so that was a little bit of a learning curve. It took him a little time to get the interface set up as well. But once we got all of that working, he jumped right into it and really loved it.

My son has some learning differences. He’s dyslexic and he has dyspraxia so he worked with tutors for years to fix all of that. He reads fine now and on grade-level, but very slowly. Being able to work at his own pace was hugely beneficial for him so that he could spend as much time as he wanted with the subject matter and think it through and work at the hours that suited him and not have to be working in a class for 45 minutes. Then by the time he'd finally get into it, he'd move on to the next thing so being able to focus on particular subjects in any given amount of time was really helpful to him. We really enjoyed our experience and we plan on him coming back in the fall.

Hi Kellie,
    So pleased to hear your Son has made the adjustment to online learning. He is doing very well and the Activity Calendar shows his dedication to his school work.
    It looks like he has completed the 6 credits for his enrollment year. He can re-enroll anytime he's ready to start school again, he does not have to wait to August if he is ready.
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 18, 2020

We shifted just for my son's senior year. He was unhappy and stressed out in public school. A lot of the pace of the courses were moving very quickly, so instead of learning, he would just enroll in a course and end up excited and then would end failing it within a month. So, the online gave him time to work at his own pace, to work towards mastery, and also give him time to pursue interest that he had that he wasn’t able to do in public school because he was always doing homework.

I did a bit of research and noticed Whitmore is accredited. And just in looking at reviews and ratings, there are some you’re not always sure about the reliability. And so, the feedback I got on Whitmore, I felt it was the most trustworthy. And then, I liked that it’s a rolling enrollment, that my son could just start. We initially just had him enroll in a single course, and then at the end of his junior year decided to go full-time. We just went online, enrolled him and paid the fee, and they got him set up. At first, it was just the chemistry course, and then when we went full-time, he was still continuing the chemistry and then they did two additional courses. The reps were always very pleasant and accommodating to whatever your individual needs were. My son really took his sweet, old time with the courses. But that was okay, and there was no stress of, “Well, you need to get it done by this date.” They were always very friendly.

My son's biggest learning experience resulted from having the stress and drudgery lifted and having the time where he could really pursue his own interest. This was more a lot of self-educating type stuff. So, I knew he was getting some of the academic fundamentals through the online courses but then he could really enhance it. That really helped to build for him a STEM identity because he really is interested in the sciences. If all he did was take science courses, he probably would not have developed that STEM identity. But it was being able to go out and listen to lectures and podcasts and follow series like Cosmos that really got him excited, and then not being held to a school schedule. We did some travelling and he was able to go to the lectures. It was like almost like a co-curricular benefit that he would not have had in the other setting.

The chemistry course benefited him to be able to go at his own pace and to work until he got everything right, because then that way, he wasn't moving on and he had errors and didn’t know what the errors were, and then he would go deeper into a hole. I have no background in chemistry, but it sometimes felt like we were just jumping into a session. So the development of the course curriculum started more basic and fundamental and building. Sometimes it felt like there was information that we didn’t have, and then we had to go outside and research at other sites. And then eventually, I hired a tutor to work with my son as well. It was a tutor who’s an instructor at Virginia Tech, which is close to where we live. Also, the different lessons felt a little cut-and-paste. I don’t know if Whitmore purchased some of their curriculum from other sites or if it was actually developed by the instructor of the class.

There’s a lot of writing in English, probably more than my son would’ve done in a typical English class in a high school, so that was good. I teach as well, but a critique I have across the board is a lot of times, we give students assignments and correct the assignments but we don’t do enough instruction, like how do you do this, how do you set up the writing and so forth. I know it’s a little more difficult in an online format, but in all of the sessions, there could’ve been more direct instruction of how to. I don’t know if Whitmore ever plans to upgrade its learning management system and maybe integrate more where you actually have the teachers doing short lectures themselves so it’s not just reading but that there are students who are actually listening.

Whitmore School response
    We are so pleased that Whitmore School was a good fit for your son. Yes, many students do well when the stress of deadlines is removed. Even though he "took his sweet old time" in the end, he graduated and earned all A's at Whitmore. This is quite an accomplishment considering he completed very challenging courses and even honors level courses!
    Thank you.

Ellen Ray

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Whitmore has a military discount and they had the courses my son needed. The pricing was good. We have spoken with a counselor a couple of times and she has been very helpful. She adjusted his curriculum a couple of times so he could get more what he wanted.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

My daughter needed more flexibility with her schedule, which made me choose online schooling. Whitmore offered a diploma and honors classes, and they were rated as one of the top schools. After looking, some of the online schools only offer certificates of completion and I didn't want that. The enrollment process was very quick and easy. I had a couple of phone calls with the personnel and then a couple of emails with information. Then, they took care of everything. They contacted her public school to get her transcripts transferred and once it was transferred, they called me back and let me know what classes she needed for graduation. My daughter was doing an honors English class and an AP US Government. She took five classes last year and has one course left for graduation this senior year. Whitmore’s quality of education is very high and for the price, it’s good.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Tonya! Your daughter is so close to finishing, I am sure she is excited about that. Hope we can see you at Graduation in June!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

My daughter was having a difficult time with public schools in Kansas City. There were bully issues and focus issues so we decided to try a different route. My husband and I discussed it and kinda went through the internet. We wanted to make sure that it was accredited and that she would get an actual diploma and not have to go through a GED type program.

We looked at the reviews when we were going through trying to pick where to send her. Part of the reason that we ended up going through Whitmore is there was so much positive feedback that we had seen on the website and through other websites. Whitmore seemed to be the best fit for us and it has been amazing. Anytime I have a question, I can message them and I get an answer within a day. My daughter submits her assignments and they say they take sometimes two days but she'd usually get her stuff pretty quick. She did a complete 180 as far as her grades. She was getting Ds and Fs, and she's gone to straight As with an exception of a science class that she got a B in but she was so close to that A.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jennifer. Your daughter has done a great job at Whitmore. You are right, all A's but that B was actually a B+. We are so pleased with her work, please let her know.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I researched online for different programs to enroll my daughter in and Whitmore School was one that stuck out to me as a good program. This is her second year in it and from what I have seen as well as my experience in talking to people on the phone, there's a night and day difference between them and another online program that we were in before that's called Penn Foster.

I have signed up my daughter for the program where I get a weekly update of assignments that she turned in. I also get notified when she turns in an assignment and I can click on it and see the work that she's done. For her, it works fine because I don't really have to follow along behind her and make sure that she is putting in the effort to get an assignment turned in. If it was one of my different kids, I'd have signed up for the option where you meet with a counselor once a week and have more one-on-one.

She loves the instructors, too. Every teacher she had so far is always so kind and they give great feedback. But she has been struggling with turning stuff in and she's going through a little mental health episode. She feels like she has no motivation whatsoever to turn anything in because she doesn't have any deadline. So in hindsight, that's what's keeping her from turning stuff in and being motivated. But she wants to get better and she wants to turn in two assignments a day for each class.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Shannon!! Your daughter is doing great work with us, straight A's!
    Our teachers do a really good job encouraging students to summit quality work, but you're right, motivation is difficult to learn for a teenager. My daughter struggled with motivation as well, but once she got in a good routine of submitting assignments, she had more success.
    I am glad she is committed to turning in two lessons a day for each subject.
    We are so pleased to hear your happy with Whitmore School.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Whitmore is a wonderful school and we’re extremely happy with them. My daughter is a dancer training at a pre-professional program. She is on a full academic college preparatory course, science, English and social studies on the honors level. Whitmore has very high-quality teaching and excellent administration. We're very pleased with the education there and the support. The personnel are of the highest professional quality. Whitmore is a gem. They do a great job and they're very dedicated. Their teachers are super responsive. I was with other schools and this one is far ahead.

Whitmore School response
    So pleased you are happy with Whitmore School. We do try to be the best online high school, but it brightens our day when a parent lets us know!

Whitmore School Company Information