4.7/5 (69 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have two children at Whitmore who are both neurodiverse and students in advanced classes. Public schools and in-person schools are often not equipped to handle children who are both academically gifted and neurodiverse. So, Whitmore provided them an option to be able to thrive as a whole student. I'm a college professor and my husband has a degree in K through 12 education. As parents and as educators with a lot of understanding of education, we did a lot of research before choosing Whitmore and once we made a decision, the enrollment process was very quick and easy.

They are academically rigorous and accredited, which a lot of online schools are not necessarily. Our kids were coming from very good in-person schools. My ninth grader turned 13 this year and she started high school at 12 because she skipped two grades. My 10th grader did so well in the SAT as a freshman that she's already been heavily recruited by colleges. So, the academic rigor and variety of classes was very important to us, which a lot of schools simply did not offer things like advanced classes or the types of classes that my girls wanted to be taking.

Virtual schooling takes a lot more organization, so it has been a learning curve for it to work for us. For example, we meet at the beginning of every week with our girls, we set their goals for that week because you don't have an in-person teacher the same way checking on them and prompting them to be on top of things. So, it's easier to get behind and there's a little bit more parent involvement, at least in our case. But there are other advantages that make up for it.

One thing that really made a difference at Whitmore is that students only take three classes at a time. At their in-person school, my daughter was taking seven at a time and she found that the hardest part of her day was not the academic work, but completely switching gears for seven different classes every single day. So, taking only three classes a day allows them to spend more time focusing on what they're doing. Then, when you finish those classes, you move on to the next classes, which has really allowed them to work at their own pace better and to dive more deeply into the classes and understanding the material rather than worrying about rushing from class to class.

Overall, we're very satisfied with Whitmore and we intend to enroll our girls there again for next year. But while I like that it is mostly asynchronous, I wish that they had a bit more individual interaction with instructors because they have not actually seen any of their instructors and they don't have any Zooms. It'd be helpful to have at least some options for that.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Keri. Your observation and explanation of working on three classes at at time is right on. Students can give their subjects more time and focus which gives them an improved understanding of the material.
We are so pleased with both your daughters quality of work and effort.

We are looking at more video teacher interaction. It is a challenge because we have students and teachers located all over the world. Thank you for your feedback.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We heard about Whitmore when my son was in seventh grade. A friend of ours was using it and she was a student that had done well in public school, middle school. She learns very similarly to how my son is. They like to read and to write a lot of things, but have a lot of hard times putting it down on paper. So, I thought that if she was doing really well in Whitmore, maybe my son Joel would do well in it. We started looking into it more intensely when he got into mid eighth grade. We homeschooled forever, but he was going to go to public school in ninth grade. Then he said he really didn't want to and wanted to stay home. I told him that if he wanted to change his mind in the middle of high school, he was going to need to have an accredited program. It was going to be so much easier if we could transfer credits, and then he could change his mind. And he ended up signing up in the beginning of ninth grade with Whitmore.

We've loved our experience with them so far. For the enrollment, we sent his middle school transcripts and it turned out we didn't need them. But the enrollment process was really easy. They asked a few questions on the phone, took the paperwork, then we paid the tuition. Whitmore's reps are very helpful and really easy to get ahold of on their online portal and on the phone.

So far, my son has taken Computer Science, Earth Science, Music Appreciation, Algebra 1, Physical Fitness under Health, and World History. These courses were fantastic. He also took English 9, which took him a little while to get comfortable on. But that's one of the big things that we liked about Whitmore because he's not set in how fast or how slow he has to take a course. It can be longer if he needs it to be.

Algebra has been a little trickier, too because the teacher took a little while to respond. He’d submit everything, then three or four days later, he'd find out he didn't do a lot of it right and he needed to redo it. If anyone would be enrolling in the Math course, I would suggest that, at least the first Math course that they do, they pay for the extra tutoring because that has been extremely beneficial. We did that the second year with Whitmore and my son is finally completing Algebra successfully. It’s not super slow because they respond instantaneously and they’re able to help him figure out what he's doing wrong when he's doing it wrong. So he's not learning how to do it wrong and then having to learn how to do it right.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Christina for your 5 Star Review!! So glad to hear your son is having success with the YUP Tutoring. When a student is having trouble in Math, they really need help "right now" and that is what YUP can do.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We enjoyed Whitmore School very much. They were flexible and did everything we needed them to do for Sully, our son. We didn't need a lot of counseling so much but the communication was very good. The teachers were reaching out to us more than the other way around. For an online experience, it was pretty personal. It was hardly a sterile environment. We started with another online school that was not accredited and they would just give the classes and you just go at it at your own pace. At Whitmore, you have a teacher that tells you to take a closer look and ask questions. You had to master the course material before you were allowed to go on. It felt like a real school.

The bulk of the communication was telling us our son's not advancing as quickly as he should be and those are those small kicks in the ** where for the parents and for him were really helpful. Part of Sully's issue was he always had trouble sitting for hours on end. He was more of a hands-on guy and I hear that all the time. Part of it is laziness and part of it is immaturity but sometimes, you need a school that's custom for your kid.

We had the whole nine yards to help us figure out this path, and Whitmore was the official school component of it. When you're trying to raise your kids and they're malfunctioning and you need a flexible tool, that public school system ain't that. He would have dropped out of high school. Now, he got in the saddle and got out of that high school. The classes he was in the middle of were dropped and we talked to the counselors at Whitmore. We told them what we've done and what we get credit for. They told us what we needed to do to finish to meet the legal requirement for North Carolina.

Whitmore was pretty easy and manageable. There was good communication and he studied at his pace. He worked two jobs in high school that are in line with his goals, which brought him a tremendous amount of self-esteem. He is a happy, well-adjusted kind of guy. He's in the right place. He has graduated and is enrolled at a community college pursuing an electrician certificate and an associate's degree program. He's on his way to doing exactly what he wanted to do and Whitmore was a great partner. I can't imagine anything being better, easier and more accommodating. Whitmore was perfect and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sean!! Your Son has done very well. I know he had some struggles, but he graduated with straight A's, mastered all the material, worked two jobs and accomplished his goals. Sounds like he has grown to be a mature adult, hope he is proud of his success!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 9, 2021

I like the way the school interacts with my daughter, rather than just she does an assignment, they grade it like a normal traditional school. The guidance counselor has reached out to us a couple times to say like, “She's not quite on track,” or, “She's doing great,” or just giving us some tips ahead of time rather than there being a problem, and then calling us. They’ve been proactive on that part.

I've noticed that my daughter will have to go back and forth with the teacher to really explain her thought process. The teacher or the guidance counselors make sure that they understand the curriculum or understand the content before they move on to the next one. It puts more ownership on my daughter to actually reach out when she feels she's not understanding. I've seen a lot of growth in communication, more similar to what she would have to experience through a college setting rather than a traditional high school.

My son has just finished middle school. He'll be a freshman next year and we're planning on enrolling him as well. It's been a really positive experience for us. In the switch from more of a traditional school setting, actually going to a physical building versus a virtual high school, the biggest thing to consider is, do you want a homeschool program? How involved or how committed can you be as a parent to teaching your child through a homeschool program versus an online curriculum, where they have guidance counselors and professors?

Whitmore checks the box for us, especially for the kids getting into high school. It's nice having people there that can really hone in on a particular subject and help us help our kids. So, just to know going into that what your plans are also as a parent, and understanding how much you'll be able to help your child through the curriculum. I would definitely recommend the school. But I also recognize that it's not going to be for everyone. There could be some kids out there that just aren't as self-driven or don't learn well virtually.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Harold. Your daughter is doing very well and her grades show it. You are right when you say this school may not be for everyone because it requires self motivation. However, when a student puts the effort and work into it, they will be much more prepared for challenges in the future.
    Please tell her to keep up the solid work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 11, 2021

When I first read about the enrollment process, it seemed a little confusing because I was out of the loop. But when I called Whitmore, they were the most helpful. They were wonderful and they got it done. It was done so quick and easy. I was talking to a real person who sounded like they had nothing else to do but answer all my questions. There was no background noise. It was wonderful. They made me feel like I was not a bother.

My son is very smart, but it's very hard to capture his attention. Even at this moment, he's still trying to finish up the year, but Whitmore gives students a whole 12 months to finish, and that's great for someone like him. The teachers never acted annoyed. They answered his questions and encouraged him to ask more. So he's gonna end up finishing with an A average, and it's not because they're giving it to him. They're making him earn it. He needs someone to be stern and patient, and that's exactly what they are. It makes me thankful for the way things played out. Whitmore is awesome. I can't say enough good things about it from the people we've talked to, to the teachers, and to the lessons.

I also had my daughter with Whitmore and she finished up very quickly and straight A's. She is a type A personality and she wants everything perfect. She was able to work and get that perfect grade she wanted with Whitmore. They let her do that. She didn't have to worry that if she messed up the first time and got a 90 or if they put it a nine, that she couldn't redo it. Because for her, a nine was not good enough. She wanted a 10.

Whitmore also has tutors. When my daughter worried so much about grades, she ended up doing her math a lot of times. We called Whitmore and paid an extra $500 for the tutor. With that payment, you can stay on the phone with them 24 hours a day. Through writing back and forth, they tutored her through geometry. There were days she would be on the phone with them five hours for one lesson. You don't get that in public school and $500 would not be near enough to pay for the hours that they spent with us. The tutors were brilliant students and very patient.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kristen. Both your students are doing very well. I appreciate you noticing our teachers are tough but patient. Our goal is for the students to Master the material and do it on their own pace. When this happens, they are able to retain it.
    Thank you again!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 10, 2022

I sent Whitmore an email and they responded right away. They sent me the necessary forms to fill. I spoke to someone, and they walked me through it. I like Whitmore and my daughter likes it as well. It's affordable and the quality is one of the best. She's doing English, History, Creative Arts, and Math. So far, it’s been okay. The only difficulty is in Math.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Celestine!! So pleased your daughter is having success at Whitmore School. I looked at her Activity Calendar, which tells us how often she is submitting work, and she is a solid student. She is submitting work 5 to 6 days a week. Please tell her to keep up her good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 6, 2022

I talked to the person in the counseling department and she gave me the overview of the school. I wish Whitmore had called me earlier. When I found out their approach to teaching, that pulled me to it. There was no other choice for me. I talk about what a good school it is. Compared to public education, it's not even a little bit on the same level. So, I'm very satisfied with my choice. Whitmore is a great school.

When you move with the pace that the child can absorb what they're learning, that's the whole concept of schooling. So, that's what I've told everybody in my family and that's why I'm impressed with it. The people who review all his work were very good. The second he turns something in, he'll get feedback, and if he has any questions, it's almost immediate. It's what he's looking for. He's never had a hang up like we saw with all the other tutoring. So that's what made Whitmore so good. I've got nieces and nephews that had online tutoring and it didn't compare to what we're getting through Whitmore. All the people are functioning and doing their job very well. Everything has gone smoothly.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Scott!! So glad to hear our teachers are so responsive to your Son's posts.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 29, 2022

This is the first year that we've enrolled online school program. We've been very pleased with Whitmore. Before the class starts, the teachers do a lot of interaction, understanding what your child’s learning style is, and wanting them to understand that they can ask questions at any time. It's a mastery-based program so my kids usually have some interaction with almost all their teachers for each assignment. Sometimes the teacher will have them redo something so it involves communication back and forth. I've been pleased, pleasantly surprised and pleased with all that. The whole school is extremely responsive. The principal called me one time just to see how things are going. So they've been very communicative.

My kids rolled with Whitmore really well and embraced it for everything they could get out of it. Also, it's neat that Whitmore sets the bar pretty high. They don't just let you get away with a 70 and move on. You need to understand the material in order to move on, which has been a really neat thing to watch. Whitmore has proven to be a good fit for such a crazy time. I’m really glad we found it.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Susan!! Both your students are doing very well with their Honors Courses. When our teachers ask for a redo, we call that revising their work. It's very common to have to make multiple revisions in order to master the material. That's the big difference, our students achieve a master level of course understanding.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 14, 2022

My daughter looked into Whitmore School. And she has liked it. She’s learning a lot. But she said it’s too much. It has been a little overwhelming. And she's an A student, too. There’s too much they’re asking. And it doesn’t seem like she’s getting a lot of help like it was with the other school. When she would ask for help, they would answer quickly. And she does get answers from Whitmore, but it takes a bit longer. So, it delays her doing her work. But it’s a lot harder. She said handing an assignment, there’s a lot of writing. Not as much as the hands-on with the teachers as it was with the other school. She wishes that the teachers would be a little more involved.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Jackie. We can see from the Activity Calandar that your daughter is working very hard and getting very good grades. You are right, Whitmore School does not have a multiple choice curriculum, we require a lot of reading and writing in every lesson. The results are excellent for our graduates. They are able to get into and be prepared for any college of their choice. That is the goal.
    Please tell your daughter to keep up her solid work, it will payoff in the end!!

Steve Ray

Original review: April 13, 2022

My child is thriving at Whitmore. It's been a great opportunity for him to graduate early, which is why we switched over from our public school, and he's doing really well. He wanted some honors classes, which were offered there, and the work-at-your-own-pace approach is really helpful for him. He's a competitive dancer, so he spends 25 to 30 hours a week at the dance studio and it helps that he can do it when it works for him. He doesn't have to be up at 7:00 am for school and he can sleep a little bit later on the days that he needs to and work on the weekend. It's an affordable option and we are getting a good value for the price and the course offerings.

Also, all the teachers have been very supportive and responsive. It helps him with feedback and knowing what to do and what to correct. He feels very comfortable with it. And we are in a situation where his dad and I are separated and we each pay half of the tuition. I was able to speak with someone at Whitmore. They took my half of the payment and they were able to speak with his dad and take the other half of the payment. Sometimes, that can be complicated but they made it very easy for us and they worked with us really well. It's been a really great experience for us.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kari!! So glad your Son spent his Senior Year with Whitmore School. He is doing so well in school while following his passion in dance. At Whitmore, student can achieve both goals.

Whitmore School Company Information