Accredited Partner

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5
Learn More

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2020

We shifted just for my son's senior year. He was unhappy and stressed out in public school. A lot of the pace of the courses were moving very quickly, so instead of learning, he would just enroll in a course and end up excited and then would end failing it within a month. So, the online gave him time to work at his own pace, to work towards mastery, and also give him time to pursue interest that he had that he wasn’t able to do in public school because he was always doing homework.

I did a bit of research and noticed Whitmore is accredited. And just in looking at reviews and ratings, there are some you’re not always sure about the reliability. And so, the feedback I got on Whitmore, I felt it was the most trustworthy. And then, I liked that it’s a rolling enrollment, that my son could just start. We initially just had him enroll in a single course, and then at the end of his junior year decided to go full-time. We just went online, enrolled him and paid the fee, and they got him set up. At first, it was just the chemistry course, and then when we went full-time, he was still continuing the chemistry and then they did two additional courses. The reps were always very pleasant and accommodating to whatever your individual needs were. My son really took his sweet, old time with the courses. But that was okay, and there was no stress of, “Well, you need to get it done by this date.” They were always very friendly.

My son's biggest learning experience resulted from having the stress and drudgery lifted and having the time where he could really pursue his own interest. This was more a lot of self-educating type stuff. So, I knew he was getting some of the academic fundamentals through the online courses but then he could really enhance it. That really helped to build for him a STEM identity because he really is interested in the sciences. If all he did was take science courses, he probably would not have developed that STEM identity. But it was being able to go out and listen to lectures and podcasts and follow series like Cosmos that really got him excited, and then not being held to a school schedule. We did some travelling and he was able to go to the lectures. It was like almost like a co-curricular benefit that he would not have had in the other setting.

The chemistry course benefited him to be able to go at his own pace and to work until he got everything right, because then that way, he wasn't moving on and he had errors and didn’t know what the errors were, and then he would go deeper into a hole. I have no background in chemistry, but it sometimes felt like we were just jumping into a session. So the development of the course curriculum started more basic and fundamental and building. Sometimes it felt like there was information that we didn’t have, and then we had to go outside and research at other sites. And then eventually, I hired a tutor to work with my son as well. It was a tutor who’s an instructor at Virginia Tech, which is close to where we live. Also, the different lessons felt a little cut-and-paste. I don’t know if Whitmore purchased some of their curriculum from other sites or if it was actually developed by the instructor of the class.

There’s a lot of writing in English, probably more than my son would’ve done in a typical English class in a high school, so that was good. I teach as well, but a critique I have across the board is a lot of times, we give students assignments and correct the assignments but we don’t do enough instruction, like how do you do this, how do you set up the writing and so forth. I know it’s a little more difficult in an online format, but in all of the sessions, there could’ve been more direct instruction of how to. I don’t know if Whitmore ever plans to upgrade its learning management system and maybe integrate more where you actually have the teachers doing short lectures themselves so it’s not just reading but that there are students who are actually listening.

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We adopted our son at age 12 and we had a lot of things that we needed to work through as a family, but public school was pretty much taking over our lives. We needed time with our family, and he needed the additional support of me being here and for him to be just working at his own pace so we could also be doing things that we needed to do as a family to work through trauma issues. We got him enrolled with Whitmore based on the reviews, and being a teacher, I saw that their educational philosophy seemed like the best fit. It felt like a lot of our stress came from always preparing for a test instead of learning the material. And my son can prepare for a test, but he doesn't learn it. So, I wanted the focus to be on him actually learning and spending time with the lessons until he mastered the material.

My son has taken a lot of courses through Whitmore, like English 9, English 10, Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology as well as US Government. He's just starting Chemistry, and he has also taken some Career Studies. There were also electives, like Spanish 1, which he has completed. I appreciate that the personnel from Whitmore were there when I had a question or when Marcel has a question, but it's not like a you have to always be talking to them, it's only as needed. I have the information I need and I know how to connect to them if I need it but it's not an overwhelming always type of thing.

Being with Whitmore, I think my son walks away feeling like he can do it and that he feels successful. I also think that he's motivated because the ball is in his court and he has all the information and he can take the time to learn it, or he can learn in a few lessons, and he just slacked off and didn't do well, and then he has to go back and redo it. So, there's no point in doing that. And so, I feel like it's very doable and he can be successful but it takes him putting in the effort. And that has been a really good lesson for him.

Caroline,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing fine work at Whitmore School, his grades and dedication are evident.
    Both our children are adopted and you are so smart to focus on your family and actually learning the material. Both will insure his success!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
    Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
    It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 30, 2019

I thought online schooling was better for my son to have a better learning environment so he wouldn’t have to feel the pressures of regular public schools. I decided to go with Whitmore due to the fact that it was all about mastery learning. I think that’s just better. They don’t pass you unless you master the subject and that’s something that’s invaluable to me and my family. The enrollment was very easy. I was able to go online and put in his basic information. About an hour later, I decided to call them and they already had my information up and basically stated down. We had to prove them with two transcripts from his prior schools and he was enrolled that very same day after payment was set up. The pricing of the school was also very good.

The instructors were very nice to my son at all times, even at times when he felt frustrated. They exercised great patience and always kept him focused on the end goal, which was to master the subject that they were learning at that time. He took English 11 and 12, Spanish 1 for half a semester for half the credit, and Spanish 2 for the whole credit. He also took Geometry and Algebra. The education is very high quality and we should let more people know about Whitmore.

It was a wonderful opportunity for my son to excel and know that school isn’t a bad place. You can go to online school, really enjoy yourself, learn at the optimal level and achieve the goals that you had set out. The primary reason for school is learning and Whitmore School emphasizes that. It’s a great organization and school. They've definitely helped my son achieve his goals of high school success. It was a very satisfying experience. It was great for my son and he would totally agree also. My child is very happy knowing that he graduated and got a very quality education. The graduation ceremony that they put on was wonderful too, especially getting kids from all over the United States to come together in one area.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review. I agree, mastery learning is a great way to truly learn the material and be able to retain it.
    Thank you for coming to the 2019 Graduation, it was great to meet you and Tyler in person. We all hope Tyler has a successful future.

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

We chose online schooling because my daughter is a pre-professional ballerina, so she trains during the school day. Whitmore is not our first online school that we’ve been with, and we liked the focus on mastery learning and not just taking tests and getting a score. She’s able to complete an assignment, turn it in, then the teacher gives fantastic feedback and opportunities for revision. My daughter is learning a lot more through the process of revisions of assignments. The enrollment was very easy too. They were quick to communicate back. And looking at her transcripts, they were very helpful in choosing the right program. They're polite and seem knowledgeable. Everything’s been great and it’s a great learning environment. Whitmore is the best online school we’ve tried for sure.

Whitmore School response
    Melinda, thank you for your review. Your daughter is very dedicated to her school work. I looked at her Activity Calendar and many weeks she is submitting work 7 days a week! With that drive I'm sure she must be an incredible ballerina.
    So glad she sees the benefits of Mastery Learning. It's not easy to make revisions but the results are much better retention and understanding.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My son trains in another state so we decided to go with online schooling. Whitmore offered guidance counseling and some of their reviews were good. And it did not take long at all to get him enrolled. We sent in a transcript and they reviewed it, then we went over a schedule. He has Math and English, and the quality of education is good. My son will complete his assignment, and then he’ll receive feedback from the teacher regarding the assignment he has completed. At this point, we’re happy with Whitmore.

Whitmore School response
    Brenda thank you for your review. Your son is doing very well at Whitmore School. He is taking some difficult courses and getting very good grades.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I love this online school. My 22 year old son started this school in Texas when he was 16 and in 9th grade. We moved to Georgia and he finished high school a total of 2 years. Eric, my younger son went to public school for 9th grade last year. He started 10th grade with Whitmore High School and loves it. The teachers are great, and they work with you! Just ask them if you don't understand something. Funny thing is my younger son has some of the same teachers my older boy had. I have nothing but great things to say about this school. Well worth the money! I do have to sit with him sometimes to encourage him, but I love that time together. Whitmore/CompuHigh has a very professional staff. We are very happy!

Carolyn,
    Thank you for your kind words. I am so pleased you commented on our teachers, many of them have been with us since our beginning (1994).
    Your son is doing very well and his attendance is great. Please tell him to keep up his good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My kids were having a really hard time with public schools. I didn’t like a lot of the things the public schools were teaching. It didn’t seem to be adequate. I checked out the different schools online and Whitmore School seemed like it had a better curriculum than most everywhere else. Their enrollment process was simple and straightforward. I just had to transfer their records. My youngest took a few courses while my oldest daughter is taking American History and another English, and she has to take an elective too. My oldest daughter is 18, so she is handling all of hers on her own. Then my youngest daughter who's 16 seems to be doing really good with it. Sometimes, she struggles but we found her some good tutors to help out, as far as what she doesn’t understand. The cost seems good. I'm really comfortable with everything.

Whitmore School response
    Phillip, so glad your daughters are doing well at Whitmore School. Thank you for your kind words and 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We’ve homeschooled all our kids and they got to the older grades and they decided they needed some wiser help than me. I researched a bunch of different schools online and Whitmore looked like they'd been around for a long time. Most of the comments were good too, so I went that route. I liked the format they used, how you have to keep redoing the work in order to pass on to the next lesson and we’re now starting our second year. My kids take science, history, geometry, and English classes and enrolling them is very easy. The school is very easy to work with as well. It’s competitive and as good as any. It’s also good cost-wise. We’re happy with what we’re doing.

Whitmore School response
    Nancy, thank you for your 5 Star Review! So pleased your son had a good transition into Whitmore School. We find most homeschoolers have success with us because they take responsibility for their education. Please tell your son to keep getting A's!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student-athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whitmore School Company Information

1994
    235 High Street Suite 507
    Morgantown
    WV
    www.whitmoreschool.org

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.