Get Started

4.9/5 (46 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My daughter came across Whitmore. She had some medical issues that made her have to withdraw from the brick and mortar school she was going to. We asked around and somebody suggested Connections Academy and we couldn't get in because it was the middle of the quarter. So we did another online school, Indiana Career Academy, and she passed everything. But she got pretty far behind. But that was when her health was at her worst. Then, after a while, she got better and tried a brick and mortar school. She knew she didn't want to go back to the Indiana Career Academy. She was doing online research on her own for a long time. There was another one we almost signed up for but then she ended up finding another site that really gave it bad reviews. She saw really good reviews for Whitmore.

When she signed up for it, it was nice. It was really easy to get ahold of somebody. But one thing that was a lot better with Whitmore than the last school is, with the last school, I was getting phone calls every single day. I was getting multiple emails. Part of that was because she was missing the online class because it was timed. One thing that's great about Whitmore is she can do it at her own pace. With her having chronic fatigue, she can't necessarily sign in for class at 8 a.m.

With math, she was going to get an A because she's going to learn the material because you resubmit until the material was correct. That was good. My daughter learned a lot in math. The only thing that has been a little bit hard was when she was doing assignment, and they would have a redo it, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong for a while. She wasn't able to get that explanation. But that might have been her being shy and not willing to ask. But with math, I do math for a living so a lot of times, I would just help her out. Whitmore has been really great. The level of communication is perfect. It's not taking me away from my full time job. She's able to do it on her own and she's very happy.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Jill! Your daughter is doing really well, I love seeing all A's!
Working at your own pace is so important, it gives everyone the chance to really master the material. Please tell her to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

We were having some issues with the local public school so we started looking at homeschool options even though I didn't really think that that was gonna be a good option for us. I then started researching some of the online private schools and looked at a lot of the information and the reviews that Whitmore School had. I went to the website and thought they would probably be a good fit for my son. There were a lot of online reviews for the school and I liked that there is a mastery program where he would be made to continue to do it until he gets it. My son enrolled last October. We sent in his transcripts and after they reviewed him, we talked to somebody about which classes he should take.

Last year, my son's biggest issue when he first started was getting some of the assignments to submit, especially the Math assignments that were really tricky. We called and somebody helped with IP issues. We spoke to him and he still couldn't get it so we kinda did a little conference call. It was me, my son, and them. We got everything resolved and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. I also talked to my son's counselor and we recently discussed some options for his classes for this year. She was very helpful and any interactions I had were great.

Whitmore is a much better fit for my son simply because sitting in class and listening to somebody talk is not really how he learns. He would tend to kinda zone out during class. Being online, he reads and he spends more time on the things that he doesn't understand as opposed to having somebody talk about the things that he already knows or are not an issue for him. It was an experience at first to try to have the discipline to actually sit and do the classes because the theory was, "I have a year, so I don't really need to do this right now." That was the hardest struggle for him. But we have it now and he's enjoying this. I haven't heard anything about him even wanting to go back to public school.

Also, I don't have any problem with the cost of the school. I don't think it's outrageous at all given what they get. My son gets a response if he asks a teacher a question or when he turns things in. There's always a response within 24 hours. He gets any help that he needs. We paid for the Math tutor last year which my son used a couple of times right at the beginning, but it was more trying to get technical questions answered. That really should've been the IT person. Otherwise, everything you get for your money.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your kind review Terri. We are so pleased your son is having success with our mastery learning system. When students can learn at their own pace they achieve a higher level of understanding and retention. Please tell him to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My daughter had other commitments that made the traditional school schedule not feasible any longer. So, we needed an online option that could work around her other commitments: to still have the ability to have an excellent education but have the flexibility in terms of the timing, time of day, deadlines on assignments, and teachers who work with them around their schedule. With Whitmore School, I liked that with mastery-based learning, the students are responsible for learning how to master the content with the guidance of the teacher and are able to use the platform to succeed.

The enrollment process was very easy for us. We looked at the school for a few months before we finally enrolled because she was still enrolled in a traditional school at that point. She finished out the school year, and we were initially intending to enroll a little bit later but the Whitmore enrollments had increased substantially and we didn't want to get locked out. So, we enrolled her a week or two after she finished her prior school year.

The process was very straightforward. We were able to register for an online open house. She was able to get any questions answered and see a general overview of what the student desk looks like, how different forms of communication are handled, and some sample course work that was available to look at online. She could review a syllabus or a sample demo lesson to give her an overview and see if she was comfortable with the platform. Then, we were able to complete the forms and they were very quick in processing everything and turning it around. This included looking at her prior transcript to get that transferred over and getting her started on her course work. Everyone was very responsive and made the process easy.

My daughter has been very pleased in terms of the teacher's accessibility and her ability to get questions answered or clarification on certain things. In the beginning, there was a slight learning curve with getting used to the mastery-based structure. She now understands how to manage that work back and forth, and how to ask questions of the teachers. It’s been good! They've been very quick to get back to her, either within the time frame she was told or earlier. We are very pleased with the education that she is receiving at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your great review Stacey. I appreciate all your kind words about our admissions department as well as our teachers. Everyone is very dedicated to our students success, it is our primary goal.
    Your daughter is doing very good work with us and her grades reflect it. She is also dedicated to her studies, she is submitting work every day of the week! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My son is an introvert and he was having some difficulty with a traditional public school, just with bullying and nonsense. It took me a while to decide to go to online school. I was concerned about the social aspect of it. But I knew that no amount of me leaving him in public school would make him social. It was just probably gonna get worse so we decided to go ahead and try the online. I did a lot of research and I saw everything seemed pretty good about Whitmore. So, I thought we would try it and I am so happy we did.

What I liked about the school is they definitely keep you informed. I get weekly and monthly reports. Also, every time my son posts something or he puts in a class or a lesson, it emails me and lets me know that he did so I can keep track to make sure he's staying on track when I’m working. Plus, you cannot fail a lesson. So, if they post something and my son doesn't get it correct, they send it back for him to do corrections. He never gets a failing grade. He actually learns the stuff instead of just going through the motions. Also, the curriculum seems good. They offer a lot of different classes, which I like, even more than the public school did because they didn't have any computer classes at his public school, which I thought was crazy. My son is really into computers. He has some options there. He's a sophomore now. He's in the second year of Spanish and he really likes that class, which is good. I like it all.

I have access to have communication with the teachers. The counselor sends the weekly and the monthly reports. And then I have all their emails if I have any questions or anything, but they do stay in contact with my son a lot through email. They would tell him what needs to be done if he's having trouble learning something that they can help him with that. I could stay in contact with them, but he's doing really well so I haven't had the need to reach out to them.

Dear Mandy,
    Thank you for your kind review. We do try very hard to keep parents informed about how their student is doing. Success usually happens when parents, teachers, and guidance counselors are all focused on making sure the student is motivated to do the work. Your son's 3.94 GPA suggests it's working on all fronts. Keep up the good work and please tell him how proud we are of his achievements!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 10, 2020

My son wanted to do online schooling. Whitmore's program seemed to be the one that he gravitated to most with the way that the subjects were taught and the mastery aspect of it. It seemed to be more suited to him and his learning style. They worked with me to figure out a monthly payment plan, which was really wonderful since I'm a single mom. Their staff were always so helpful and got back to us right away. If my son had a question, he would type it in and get a response very quickly. According to the reviews of other schools that we compared it to when we were looking for the school, seems like other online schools are not as proactive and on top of things. There were a lot of complaints with other schools in most areas, like slow response time and not being very helpful for individual students.

My son was a senior so we only had 4.5 credits to go. He took Business English and anatomy. He did two electives based on his natural interest and talents, which are music that he had focused on the previous three years of high school. He was happy to be able to continue with a passion of his and get credit for it. Those two classes were called creative arts and performing arts. He was able to fulfill his 4.5 credits that he needed to graduate as a senior.

He is actually considering going to college to become a physician's assistant because of the anatomy class he took. It really sparked an interest in him with learning about the body and the different systems of the body. It had a lot of good information and it made him think and he realized he has an interest in it. If he hadn't taken that class, maybe he would've never realized that. His counselor, the principal, and his teachers were all extremely supportive. It couldn't have been a better learning experience for my son.

Hi Kimberly,
    So pleased to hear your son was inspired by our Anatomy Class. I passed along your review to our teachers and made sure his Anatomy teacher, Pam, saw it. It means so much to us when we hear positive feedback. Thank You!!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 8, 2021

I'm very happy with Whitmore. My son is learning a lot and he is enjoying the homeschooling experience a lot. All the teachers are really professional and the syllabus is great. I strongly recommend Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Marcelo. Your son is doing quality work with us and his grades reflect that.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Whitmore turned out to be the best choice for my daughter’s online learning during the pandemic. The admissions staff were responsive to my queries about the school and their curriculum. The mastery learning strategy is a good fit to my daughter as she transitioned to online school. The principal, teachers, guidance counselor and other staff proved to be accomodating and supportive to my daughter’s education and well being. For the services rendered, the tuition fee is reasonable and worth it! Thank you Whitmore for being a good partner in providing excellent education to my daughter during this global Covid-19 pandemic. Please stay safe everyone! May God protect us all!

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Pearl!!

Original review: June 7, 2021

We have been pleased with our first year with Whitmore. We enjoy the flexibility, the simple interface and the speedy responses from support/guidance. His teachers are enthusiastic, encouraging, and very kind. My only critique would be our experience with the algebra teacher my son had. Very slow to respond which slowed his pace of progress, very unhelpful with problems he got wrong, and overall not a great experience with that particular teacher. We ended up hiring a tutor and getting through it.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Dayli. Happy to hear your son is having success at Whitmore School. Math can be very challenging for students. I am pleased you found our YUP Tutoring Service. It's great that you can access tutoring help 24/7, 365 days a year. That way he gets the help he needs, when he needs it.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 27, 2021

We needed something with flexibility since my son's looking to become a professional athlete and this was an excellent program for him because he could do the work at his own pace and at his own time. He does so many different things during the day, it's much easier than doing a Zoom-type setup. Since it's an accredited school, I found it to be reasonable.

The guidance counselor followed up when I called her and when I had questions regarding picking classes. He wanted things in sports, nutrition, and anything to do with physical fitness. They have a couple of classes which we were happy about. They also have a work-study program and since he teaches class to children, it can count towards that credit. They also do more practical math, like things with the bank registries and explaining things than some of the other math that was offered for him at school. He found that to be more useful. He's learning more because he can't go on to the next assignment until he masters the first one. He's actually forced to absorb the material more than if he's in a regular school setting.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Jennifer. We are so pleased your son is having success at Whitmore School. One of the best things about our school is the freedom and responsibility it gives the students. They really can have many other interests, at any time of the day, and still have success in High School. Please tell him to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 20, 2021

My daughter is on a college prep curriculum with Whitmore School and she has been enjoying it. The curriculum is similar to the school she was going to, which was a public high school. Whitmore has been great so far.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Laura!! Please anchorage your daughter to keep up the good work.

Whitmore School Company Information