4.7/5 (56 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I love Whitmore. I am one of their adult learners because when I was in high school, I got really sick and had to withdraw from public school. I couldn't afford treatment at that time for my illnesses, so I never got to finish high school. So, now that I got treatment a couple of years ago, and I'm doing much better, and I get the option to do high school, but sort of traditional way, and not go from a GED but take courses, earn credits, learn, and build a transcript to apply to colleges. I’m so grateful that they have that opportunity. It's amazing.

I like their idea of mastery learning. They allow you to learn, and there's a time and place to make mistakes and to get things wrong, and to revise, and learn from your mistakes before you actually send in a submission or an assignment that you're proud of and that you know you've completed to the best of your ability. I loved doing things online. It’s very convenient. Everything is at your own pace and in your own time. You can make it work with your schedule, your hobbies, your family, and your work. I also work at a Mathnasium, which is like a Math Learning Center where I'm a tutor. So, I can change my hours to make it work with my work, and with my other extracurriculars like studying for the SAT. You’re not fixed into a strict schedule, which is great.

In this day and age, with the public school system and how it is in so many different districts across the country, a lot of students are falling behind because the system is not set up to be catered to individuals. So, don't hesitate. Go and get an individualized experience at Whitmore. They're going to cater to you and your strengths and help you with your weaknesses.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your great review Amber! We really do cater to the individual student and help them learn as much as possible. You are doing great, keep up the solid effort.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2022

There are parts of Whitmore School that have worked really well for us, and others just haven't suited my son as well as we had hoped. We're probably going to be going in a different direction next year. My son likes its flexibility. He liked the course offerings that they have. He likes the format of the school for the most part. He doesn't mind being on the computer.

For a student that might struggle with the amount of reading that might need to happen, things might need to be taken into consideration since it's a very text-based schooling. There's no option for paper or a textbook to get something to be able to print it off so that my son could not necessarily have to scroll as much to go back and look for instruction. If he's struggling with a problem, it can get tedious to go back and forth and scroll, and everything gets lost. There's no way to underline or highlight a thing and that type of thing. So, it's been a little struggle for him in that respect.

My son has cerebral palsy, so that makes typing and stuff a little difficult. That is also another reason why it was a little hard for him to type in all his answers. There are options to take pictures and submit them, too, but those are extra steps that make it difficult. We told them about that, but I don't see they're having an option for an IEP type of situation or 504 type of situation where there could be accommodations made for certain things like that.

I feel like the cost is a little high. The curriculum is great, but I do feel like there's nothing tangible that we get, other than his grades. So, for the cost of what it was, it's been hard. The communication side of it worked out well. I just feel like for what I paid, it's been kind of hard to communicate some of the things that I've needed and to wait to hear back, but I could try and use the chat box. I could have picked up the phone as well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Joy! We are always striving to improve at Whitmore School, so thank you for your feedback. We will continue to be student driven and make updates to insure his success.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 1, 2022

The pandemic started, and everyone was on lockdown and doing virtually. We were not happy with the education. Our eyes were opened to what was going on in the school. I tried to speak to our local school about it and was completely lambasted. So, we put our house for sale and moved. I just happened to be watching a YouTube channel of a family that traveled the country and they had their kids in this school so I looked into it and it fit what I was looking for. My son is actually thriving in Whitmore School. He's graduating a year early, and I've never been happier. It was the best money I've ever spent.

Enrolling was very simple. You just go online, you pick the track that you want to take, you process your credit card, and you have your old transcripts sent over to them. They really walk you through it. They’re right on top of everything. You can start on your own time. Most kids who are in online school are just sitting at a computer all day. If they're on virtual with the regular school, it's not healthy for them. So, this is great. You make your own scheduling. You do your courses. You send them in.

What I like about Whitmore is that you don't do a lesson and then you just get graded and you move on. You have to master it. You don't move on unless you get to a nine or a 10. So, there might be a lot of revisions if you're struggling. For some courses, my son did have a lot of revisions. But he's been really doing well at other courses. The school personnel is all very friendly. They call you right back. They get right back to you. They are very happy, sweet and kind people. They're there to help. I really am blown away. It's funny how I found them and it's been a great thing for our family. My son's on the spectrum and he's really flourished.

Whitmore School response
    Wow, thank you for your 5 Star Review Anita! I am so glad to hear you have been treated well and your Son is having a great experience at Whitmore School. You are right, our Mastery Based Learning System helps students achieve academic success because they can learn at their own pace.

We are looking forward to meeting you at the in person Graduation!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 24, 2022

My child had been in a Montessori school environment from pre-K through 11th grade and she couldn't finish her senior year there. We were looking for somewhere else for her to go, but not a traditional public school-type environment. We had found Whitmore online and did a bunch of research about it. It looked perfect for her because she's very much self-led and she doesn't need all that extra hand-holding. She can move at her own pace. Part of the draw for us was Whitmorehad been around for a long time. They had worked out all those initial kinks and they've got their processes flushed out. You don't really have to worry about that aspect. It also seems like their class formats are really easy to follow.

The teacher interactions have been great and the way everything's laid out lets her move along, but not too fast. My child can look ahead and see what's coming up to help her better plan out. The lesson she's working on right now in English is a longer lesson. She knows it's gonna take a while but she looked ahead to know that the next few lessons should not take days.

My child really enjoyed Whitmore this year and thrived quite a bit. She hasn't needed any tutoring and only used the actual staff themselves. They seemed really good and responsive. They all seem super friendly. We had one English teacher that was a dud but I talked to the guidance counsellor and got her switched over to somebody else. Since then, it's been smooth sailing and great.

The onboarding for our child seemed easy enough. I checked log-in and used their calendar and checked her status to see how she is doing and what she is completing. My child and I are really close so I know what's going on. But all that's helpful and we get weekly reports and monthly summaries. We have truly been really pleased. We've been telling other people about Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Amber. We have been around for a while, if fact we are the First Online High School in the World. Everyone at Whitmore School is dedicated to our students and their success. I see you found the Activity Calendar, that's a great way to see exactly what is being worked on and submitted. So glad you found us.

Also, I see you are coming to the in person Graduation in May, looking forward to meeting you!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have two children at Whitmore who are both neurodiverse and students in advanced classes. Public schools and in-person schools are often not equipped to handle children who are both academically gifted and neurodiverse. So, Whitmore provided them an option to be able to thrive as a whole student. I'm a college professor and my husband has a degree in K through 12 education. As parents and as educators with a lot of understanding of education, we did a lot of research before choosing Whitmore and once we made a decision, the enrollment process was very quick and easy.

They are academically rigorous and accredited, which a lot of online schools are not necessarily. Our kids were coming from very good in-person schools. My ninth grader turned 13 this year and she started high school at 12 because she skipped two grades. My 10th grader did so well in the SAT as a freshman that she's already been heavily recruited by colleges. So, the academic rigor and variety of classes was very important to us, which a lot of schools simply did not offer things like advanced classes or the types of classes that my girls wanted to be taking.

Virtual schooling takes a lot more organization, so it has been a learning curve for it to work for us. For example, we meet at the beginning of every week with our girls, we set their goals for that week because you don't have an in-person teacher the same way checking on them and prompting them to be on top of things. So, it's easier to get behind and there's a little bit more parent involvement, at least in our case. But there are other advantages that make up for it.

One thing that really made a difference at Whitmore is that students only take three classes at a time. At their in-person school, my daughter was taking seven at a time and she found that the hardest part of her day was not the academic work, but completely switching gears for seven different classes every single day. So, taking only three classes a day allows them to spend more time focusing on what they're doing. Then, when you finish those classes, you move on to the next classes, which has really allowed them to work at their own pace better and to dive more deeply into the classes and understanding the material rather than worrying about rushing from class to class.

Overall, we're very satisfied with Whitmore and we intend to enroll our girls there again for next year. But while I like that it is mostly asynchronous, I wish that they had a bit more individual interaction with instructors because they have not actually seen any of their instructors and they don't have any Zooms. It'd be helpful to have at least some options for that.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Keri. Your observation and explanation of working on three classes at at time is right on. Students can give their subjects more time and focus which gives them an improved understanding of the material.
    We are so pleased with both your daughters quality of work and effort.

We are looking at more video teacher interaction. It is a challenge because we have students and teachers located all over the world. Thank you for your feedback.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

The enrollment process at Whitmore was super easy. My son has a medical condition. I like the fact that he could do it from home. It was a total game-changer. They're really good at Whitmore about making sure that he understands the material. It's not like, “Okay, do your assignment and you're done.” They communicate with him really well. They follow-up. They really try to get the students to be accountable for all the communication. They have an awesome program and they have it really well organized.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Going to Whitmore was safer for me. I didn't feel safe going to regular high school, because I don't like to communicate with others. Their enrollment process was really easy. We just had to send out information about myself and where I lived, and I was good. I took United States History Honors and it's going well so far. I took Algebra 1, which is really difficult to understand. For the math teacher, whenever I tell her about how I don't understand, sometimes she just repeats the same thing she said before and doesn't explain it more thoroughly. Because for sixth grade and seventh, the math was really messed up in my school, so I didn't really learn anything. I hope that she can go a little easier and explain a little slower and better. But all the English courses I've taken are really easy and I love them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

The enrollment process at Whitmore was easy. We did most of it online. The communication was mostly by email. It's a good option if you can afford it and you have a lousy local school system.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Going to Whitmore has its pros and cons. I like that my daughter can go at her own pace, but I dislike that she's going to be graduating a year late. I like that she doesn't have tests, but I dislike that it takes so long to finish a lesson to go on to the next lesson. You can't just take a bad grade, on a test and say, “I got a 60 on that. Now, I'm going on.” If you really don't know the material, you're stuck and behind. If you are not likely to ask for help, which is my daughter, then it's a struggle. But she's happy with it. It's expensive, but it's worth it.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

We were looking for an online high school for our daughter. In the end, we decided on Whitmore School. And I think we did well. Communication with the school is excellent. I appreciate the work of her school counselor. Karolina does not have English as her native language. Studying is therefore a bit more demanding for her. Nevertheless, she is excited, looking forward to every answer from the teacher. The teachers are amazing. She enjoys studying. Thanks Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Jana!! So glad your daughter is enjoying Whitmore School. I will pass along your kind words to her teachers and counselor.

Whitmore School Company Information