4.7/5 (61 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: June 24, 2022

There are parts of Whitmore School that have worked really well for us, and others just haven't suited my son as well as we had hoped. We're probably going to be going in a different direction next year. My son likes its flexibility. He liked the course offerings that they have. He likes the format of the school for the most part. He doesn't mind being on the computer.

For a student that might struggle with the amount of reading that might need to happen, things might need to be taken into consideration since it's a very text-based schooling. There's no option for paper or a textbook to get something to be able to print it off so that my son could not necessarily have to scroll as much to go back and look for instruction. If he's struggling with a problem, it can get tedious to go back and forth and scroll, and everything gets lost. There's no way to underline or highlight a thing and that type of thing. So, it's been a little struggle for him in that respect.

My son has cerebral palsy, so that makes typing and stuff a little difficult. That is also another reason why it was a little hard for him to type in all his answers. There are options to take pictures and submit them, too, but those are extra steps that make it difficult. We told them about that, but I don't see they're having an option for an IEP type of situation or 504 type of situation where there could be accommodations made for certain things like that.

I feel like the cost is a little high. The curriculum is great, but I do feel like there's nothing tangible that we get, other than his grades. So, for the cost of what it was, it's been hard. The communication side of it worked out well. I just feel like for what I paid, it's been kind of hard to communicate some of the things that I've needed and to wait to hear back, but I could try and use the chat box. I could have picked up the phone as well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Joy! We are always striving to improve at Whitmore School, so thank you for your feedback. We will continue to be student driven and make updates to insure his success.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2022

The pandemic started, and everyone was on lockdown and doing virtually. We were not happy with the education. Our eyes were opened to what was going on in the school. I tried to speak to our local school about it and was completely lambasted. So, we put our house for sale and moved. I just happened to be watching a YouTube channel of a family that traveled the country and they had their kids in this school so I looked into it and it fit what I was looking for. My son is actually thriving in Whitmore School. He's graduating a year early, and I've never been happier. It was the best money I've ever spent.

Enrolling was very simple. You just go online, you pick the track that you want to take, you process your credit card, and you have your old transcripts sent over to them. They really walk you through it. They’re right on top of everything. You can start on your own time. Most kids who are in online school are just sitting at a computer all day. If they're on virtual with the regular school, it's not healthy for them. So, this is great. You make your own scheduling. You do your courses. You send them in.

What I like about Whitmore is that you don't do a lesson and then you just get graded and you move on. You have to master it. You don't move on unless you get to a nine or a 10. So, there might be a lot of revisions if you're struggling. For some courses, my son did have a lot of revisions. But he's been really doing well at other courses. The school personnel is all very friendly. They call you right back. They get right back to you. They are very happy, sweet and kind people. They're there to help. I really am blown away. It's funny how I found them and it's been a great thing for our family. My son's on the spectrum and he's really flourished.

Whitmore School response
    Wow, thank you for your 5 Star Review Anita! I am so glad to hear you have been treated well and your Son is having a great experience at Whitmore School. You are right, our Mastery Based Learning System helps students achieve academic success because they can learn at their own pace.

We are looking forward to meeting you at the in person Graduation!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have two children at Whitmore who are both neurodiverse and students in advanced classes. Public schools and in-person schools are often not equipped to handle children who are both academically gifted and neurodiverse. So, Whitmore provided them an option to be able to thrive as a whole student. I'm a college professor and my husband has a degree in K through 12 education. As parents and as educators with a lot of understanding of education, we did a lot of research before choosing Whitmore and once we made a decision, the enrollment process was very quick and easy.

They are academically rigorous and accredited, which a lot of online schools are not necessarily. Our kids were coming from very good in-person schools. My ninth grader turned 13 this year and she started high school at 12 because she skipped two grades. My 10th grader did so well in the SAT as a freshman that she's already been heavily recruited by colleges. So, the academic rigor and variety of classes was very important to us, which a lot of schools simply did not offer things like advanced classes or the types of classes that my girls wanted to be taking.

Virtual schooling takes a lot more organization, so it has been a learning curve for it to work for us. For example, we meet at the beginning of every week with our girls, we set their goals for that week because you don't have an in-person teacher the same way checking on them and prompting them to be on top of things. So, it's easier to get behind and there's a little bit more parent involvement, at least in our case. But there are other advantages that make up for it.

One thing that really made a difference at Whitmore is that students only take three classes at a time. At their in-person school, my daughter was taking seven at a time and she found that the hardest part of her day was not the academic work, but completely switching gears for seven different classes every single day. So, taking only three classes a day allows them to spend more time focusing on what they're doing. Then, when you finish those classes, you move on to the next classes, which has really allowed them to work at their own pace better and to dive more deeply into the classes and understanding the material rather than worrying about rushing from class to class.

Overall, we're very satisfied with Whitmore and we intend to enroll our girls there again for next year. But while I like that it is mostly asynchronous, I wish that they had a bit more individual interaction with instructors because they have not actually seen any of their instructors and they don't have any Zooms. It'd be helpful to have at least some options for that.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Keri. Your observation and explanation of working on three classes at at time is right on. Students can give their subjects more time and focus which gives them an improved understanding of the material.
    We are so pleased with both your daughters quality of work and effort.

We are looking at more video teacher interaction. It is a challenge because we have students and teachers located all over the world. Thank you for your feedback.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

With my son's high school's shutdown during COVID, I felt it didn't have a good online program for him. He was not motivated. He wasn't doing much. It just came to me that he may not be learning much. So I started googling and researching online options and I saw that Whitmore among others had already been doing this. I did a lot of research and went with them. Also, they do some sort of a graduation. So it was sort of a hybrid for me. And so far, so good.

Enrolling my son was very similar to transferring him to another school. We filled out an application online and someone called us and gave us some information. After that, it was pretty much all digital. And they connected with his high school. He was able to get his transcript, then he was enrolled. The guidance counselor, Lucas, is pretty much on top of what Josh was doing. As he hands in assignments, I’m emailed on everything. He has this login and I have it on my phone as well. And pretty much, I get copied on all of his assignments, what he hands in and what's graded. So I'm able to see what he's doing.

My son became an honor student. And this is someone who was struggling between B's and C's. So it's now almost all A's. And whatever it is, because when you hand something in, the teachers that he has, they keep at him. To the point where he would fail, "Just give me a grade. I don't care." He did that early on. But now I see he's more involved. He sees that their expectation is very high and they know he can do it. They don't let him easily give up. So he has been trying. To the point his college essay blew me away yesterday.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your wonderful Review Eugenia. It does take some time for students to adjust to our Mastery Learning System, but just like your son, when they start to have success the learning kicks in. He is doing great work!

I hope to meet you in person at Graduation!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We heard about Whitmore when my son was in seventh grade. A friend of ours was using it and she was a student that had done well in public school, middle school. She learns very similarly to how my son is. They like to read and to write a lot of things, but have a lot of hard times putting it down on paper. So, I thought that if she was doing really well in Whitmore, maybe my son Joel would do well in it. We started looking into it more intensely when he got into mid eighth grade. We homeschooled forever, but he was going to go to public school in ninth grade. Then he said he really didn't want to and wanted to stay home. I told him that if he wanted to change his mind in the middle of high school, he was going to need to have an accredited program. It was going to be so much easier if we could transfer credits, and then he could change his mind. And he ended up signing up in the beginning of ninth grade with Whitmore.

We've loved our experience with them so far. For the enrollment, we sent his middle school transcripts and it turned out we didn't need them. But the enrollment process was really easy. They asked a few questions on the phone, took the paperwork, then we paid the tuition. Whitmore's reps are very helpful and really easy to get ahold of on their online portal and on the phone.

So far, my son has taken Computer Science, Earth Science, Music Appreciation, Algebra 1, Physical Fitness under Health, and World History. These courses were fantastic. He also took English 9, which took him a little while to get comfortable on. But that's one of the big things that we liked about Whitmore because he's not set in how fast or how slow he has to take a course. It can be longer if he needs it to be.

Algebra has been a little trickier, too because the teacher took a little while to respond. He’d submit everything, then three or four days later, he'd find out he didn't do a lot of it right and he needed to redo it. If anyone would be enrolling in the Math course, I would suggest that, at least the first Math course that they do, they pay for the extra tutoring because that has been extremely beneficial. We did that the second year with Whitmore and my son is finally completing Algebra successfully. It’s not super slow because they respond instantaneously and they’re able to help him figure out what he's doing wrong when he's doing it wrong. So he's not learning how to do it wrong and then having to learn how to do it right.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Christina for your 5 Star Review!! So glad to hear your son is having success with the YUP Tutoring. When a student is having trouble in Math, they really need help "right now" and that is what YUP can do.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 23, 2022

The flexibility is working out really well for us. My child is working at his own pace and he's doing well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jason!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 9, 2022

The classes that are offered are great. The only concern that I had is that my son needed two and a half credits to finish and when he started the program, they told me he needed four and a half. So it was gonna go a little longer than I anticipated. Other than that, my son loves Whitmore. He likes history and the flexibility of being able to work all day if he wants and then work at night and then work on the weekends.

I have my granddaughter in a program also. And in comparison between the two, there's absolutely none. Whitmore is far superior as far as being able to reach out to counselors, getting a response back, being able to check my son's progress during the day, during the week, to see what he's actually working on, and to see what he has completed. They're very structured.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Jackie!! So glad your Son is showing such responsibilities with both his school work and his job. He is going to be successful at both.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 8, 2022

My daughter loves Whitmore but she can only do the online chatting. She never has a chance for one-to-one talk time and there is a limit where she can do Math. So, I didn’t add tutoring for it. It was useless for our case. My daughter thinks Whitmore is harder for her but she figured it out and slowly, she caught up and liked it. As her parent, the only thing I'm concerned about is that there's no interaction but in that case, we may have to pay more tuition. I understand that. So, other than that, we are good.

Whitmore is very suitable if the students have side things that they're interested in such as dance or athletics or they want to spend extra time for drawing or anything specific besides school. That was excellent for those are strengths. My daughter is not. So, I wish she is. The program is a self-directed study and even though my daughter started very slow, she learned through her experiences. When she goes to college, she may able to catch up more than when she was in public school. Eventually, in her college years, it’s gonna be a benefit for her.

My daughter never read aloud so I don’t hear anything. There is auditory at the lecture but there are so many words that even American people don’t know how to pronounce. So, I wish that Whitmore has that system added. She doesn’t know how to say many words because she’s only reading with her eyes. If it is improved, that would be better. Other than that, this is a good program, especially after the pandemic. I don't have to worry about the virus because she doesn't have exposure to kids.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jenny!! Your daughter is doing excellent work with us. I see she has signed up for Everydae. I hope she is enjoying that as well.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 7, 2022

I like that Whitmore was accredited so that all of my child's previous credits from high school going to public schooling would transfer and she could get a diploma when she graduated. I also like the fact that she has teachers that connect with her, that she has communication with them, and she can do her schooling whenever is convenient for her. The courses that she's taken are business English, photography, government, and performing arts.

The thing that I appreciated about Whitmore was being able to start when we were ready. When school usually starts, we were in the middle of moving across several states. It was a very inconvenient time for us to start right in September. I appreciated that we could start in October once we got settled in and that she has the chance to have a full year to complete the schooling. That was very helpful. They were also super kind and helpful. When I was calling to get things figured out as far as getting her started later, everyone was so understanding.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Ashley! At Whitmore School we try to be flexible for our students. We have students enroll everyday of the year. The students enrollment year starts their first day at Whitmore.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 2, 2022

We highly recommend Whitmore! We were worried before signing up that the classes might not be challenging enough for our daughter, but she had to work hard... and probably even a little harder than she wanted to. We cannot stress how grateful we are that we added the Math tutor option. Unless you are or have access to a Math genius 24/7 I strongly recommend the tutor plan. Beth, our guidance counselor, managed to do just the right amount of encouraging and nudging when needed. Our daughter had a couple of exceptional teachers whose feedback and encouragement made the classes feel much more interactive than we expected.

Our daughter had enough credits from her previous school to combine her Jr and Sr year at Whitmore and graduate a year early. I confess I was a little worried that this school was too good to be true, but can honestly say that I recommend Whitmore to anyone who has a self-driven student who needs to pursue their high school education on their own terms. For us, it was a bit of a life saver and we are truly grateful.

Hi Cheryl,
    Our Math Tutoring Program is great because the students have access to the tutors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When the student needs help, it's there for them.

Thank you for your feedback on our Guidance Counselor, Beth, she does an amazing job keeping our students moving forward.

Whitmore School Company Information