Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.82/5
Get Pricing

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: July 10, 2020

My son wanted to do online schooling. Whitmore's program seemed to be the one that he gravitated to most with the way that the subjects were taught and the mastery aspect of it. It seemed to be more suited to him and his learning style. They worked with me to figure out a monthly payment plan, which was really wonderful since I'm a single mom. Their staff were always so helpful and got back to us right away. If my son had a question, he would type it in and get a response very quickly. According to the reviews of other schools that we compared it to when we were looking for the school, seems like other online schools are not as proactive and on top of things. There were a lot of complaints with other schools in most areas, like slow response time and not being very helpful for individual students.

My son was a senior so we only had 4.5 credits to go. He took Business English and anatomy. He did two electives based on his natural interest and talents, which are music that he had focused on the previous three years of high school. He was happy to be able to continue with a passion of his and get credit for it. Those two classes were called creative arts and performing arts. He was able to fulfill his 4.5 credits that he needed to graduate as a senior.

He is actually considering going to college to become a physician's assistant because of the anatomy class he took. It really sparked an interest in him with learning about the body and the different systems of the body. It had a lot of good information and it made him think and he realized he has an interest in it. If he hadn't taken that class, maybe he would've never realized that. His counselor, the principal, and his teachers were all extremely supportive. It couldn't have been a better learning experience for my son.

Hi Kimberly,
So pleased to hear your son was inspired by our Anatomy Class. I passed along your review to our teachers and made sure his Anatomy teacher, Pam, saw it. It means so much to us when we hear positive feedback. Thank You!!

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2020

We got the tutor option with Whitmore and the enrollment process was fairly straightforward and simple to navigate. The program was flexible and mostly pretty solid. But my daughter can't move forward within the course until each lesson is approved for whatever expectation the teacher is looking for. One of her classes held her up quite a bit. She couldn't get past that one lesson that she kept having to do it again and again and again. When all of the lessons through most of the courses end up with effectively 100%, by statistical speaking, even if we burn that one lesson so that she can move on, she'd still end up with an A. So it cost her more than it was worth because it ate up a lot of unnecessary time. My daughter was confused on that one and she didn't know what was needed to be able to move forward. She just kept getting it back and saying, “You need to do it again.”

When you're stuck on one particular lesson for over three months, it's time to evaluate and whether they could circle back to it later or just kill it entirely. But in one way, the teacher should have been aware of the time frame and decided that her approach wasn't working and what else can she do so that the student can move forward. Because while that was going on as a whole, my daughter was losing interest. So she got to a point where she said she didn't know what to do and she didn't wanna do it. But things got resolved. The overall quality was very solid.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star review!

We are looking forward to your daughter's graduation. I just put up her awesome pictures in the slideshow.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 16, 2020

My son had been going to a private school for years. The cost of private school for high school here jumps about $10,000 a year on top of what we were already paying, plus my daughter is in college and so the cost for private high school was not feasible at that point. The public schools here were not even an option. They were beyond bad. So our options were online school or homeschooling of some other fashion.

I did a lot of research. There is a local to Texas online school, but it’s a public school, which I wasn’t crazy about because my kids have never been in public school, so I didn't know that the curriculum would match up with what they were used to. Also, we flat-out weren’t eligible for it because the kids should have been in public school to be eligible for the online public school option so that wasn’t an option for us. But Whitmore was the best ranked and the most highly recommended. They were also accredited and being accredited really meant a lot to us. The cost was not that steep. In fact, it costs less to go to Whitmore than to play one sport. This was a very reasonably priced option.

I talked to the counselor before we decided to join. I really liked her and she was very nice. She actually helped me and walked me through the enrollment process. I emailed the school, explained our situation, asked for some information, and talked to them quite a bit. Once we finally decided to enroll, it was super simple. It was just essentially follow a website, fill out some links, and give them my credit card number.

The adjustment period was a little rough. When my son first started there, it took a little bit of time for him to get into the groove of organizing and managing his time himself, so that was a little bit of a learning curve. It took him a little time to get the interface set up as well. But once we got all of that working, he jumped right into it and really loved it.

My son has some learning differences. He’s dyslexic and he has dyspraxia so he worked with tutors for years to fix all of that. He reads fine now and on grade-level, but very slowly. Being able to work at his own pace was hugely beneficial for him so that he could spend as much time as he wanted with the subject matter and think it through and work at the hours that suited him and not have to be working in a class for 45 minutes. Then by the time he'd finally get into it, he'd move on to the next thing so being able to focus on particular subjects in any given amount of time was really helpful to him. We really enjoyed our experience and we plan on him coming back in the fall.

Hi Kellie,
    So pleased to hear your Son has made the adjustment to online learning. He is doing very well and the Activity Calendar shows his dedication to his school work.
    It looks like he has completed the 6 credits for his enrollment year. He can re-enroll anytime he's ready to start school again, he does not have to wait to August if he is ready.
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 18, 2020

We shifted just for my son's senior year. He was unhappy and stressed out in public school. A lot of the pace of the courses were moving very quickly, so instead of learning, he would just enroll in a course and end up excited and then would end failing it within a month. So, the online gave him time to work at his own pace, to work towards mastery, and also give him time to pursue interest that he had that he wasn’t able to do in public school because he was always doing homework.

I did a bit of research and noticed Whitmore is accredited. And just in looking at reviews and ratings, there are some you’re not always sure about the reliability. And so, the feedback I got on Whitmore, I felt it was the most trustworthy. And then, I liked that it’s a rolling enrollment, that my son could just start. We initially just had him enroll in a single course, and then at the end of his junior year decided to go full-time. We just went online, enrolled him and paid the fee, and they got him set up. At first, it was just the chemistry course, and then when we went full-time, he was still continuing the chemistry and then they did two additional courses. The reps were always very pleasant and accommodating to whatever your individual needs were. My son really took his sweet, old time with the courses. But that was okay, and there was no stress of, “Well, you need to get it done by this date.” They were always very friendly.

My son's biggest learning experience resulted from having the stress and drudgery lifted and having the time where he could really pursue his own interest. This was more a lot of self-educating type stuff. So, I knew he was getting some of the academic fundamentals through the online courses but then he could really enhance it. That really helped to build for him a STEM identity because he really is interested in the sciences. If all he did was take science courses, he probably would not have developed that STEM identity. But it was being able to go out and listen to lectures and podcasts and follow series like Cosmos that really got him excited, and then not being held to a school schedule. We did some travelling and he was able to go to the lectures. It was like almost like a co-curricular benefit that he would not have had in the other setting.

The chemistry course benefited him to be able to go at his own pace and to work until he got everything right, because then that way, he wasn't moving on and he had errors and didn’t know what the errors were, and then he would go deeper into a hole. I have no background in chemistry, but it sometimes felt like we were just jumping into a session. So the development of the course curriculum started more basic and fundamental and building. Sometimes it felt like there was information that we didn’t have, and then we had to go outside and research at other sites. And then eventually, I hired a tutor to work with my son as well. It was a tutor who’s an instructor at Virginia Tech, which is close to where we live. Also, the different lessons felt a little cut-and-paste. I don’t know if Whitmore purchased some of their curriculum from other sites or if it was actually developed by the instructor of the class.

There’s a lot of writing in English, probably more than my son would’ve done in a typical English class in a high school, so that was good. I teach as well, but a critique I have across the board is a lot of times, we give students assignments and correct the assignments but we don’t do enough instruction, like how do you do this, how do you set up the writing and so forth. I know it’s a little more difficult in an online format, but in all of the sessions, there could’ve been more direct instruction of how to. I don’t know if Whitmore ever plans to upgrade its learning management system and maybe integrate more where you actually have the teachers doing short lectures themselves so it’s not just reading but that there are students who are actually listening.

Whitmore School response
    We are so pleased that Whitmore School was a good fit for your son. Yes, many students do well when the stress of deadlines is removed. Even though he "took his sweet old time" in the end, he graduated and earned all A's at Whitmore. This is quite an accomplishment considering he completed very challenging courses and even honors level courses!
    Thank you.

Ellen Ray

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We adopted our son at age 12 and we had a lot of things that we needed to work through as a family, but public school was pretty much taking over our lives. We needed time with our family, and he needed the additional support of me being here and for him to be just working at his own pace so we could also be doing things that we needed to do as a family to work through trauma issues. We got him enrolled with Whitmore based on the reviews, and being a teacher, I saw that their educational philosophy seemed like the best fit. It felt like a lot of our stress came from always preparing for a test instead of learning the material. And my son can prepare for a test, but he doesn't learn it. So, I wanted the focus to be on him actually learning and spending time with the lessons until he mastered the material.

My son has taken a lot of courses through Whitmore, like English 9, English 10, Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology as well as US Government. He's just starting Chemistry, and he has also taken some Career Studies. There were also electives, like Spanish 1, which he has completed. I appreciate that the personnel from Whitmore were there when I had a question or when Marcel has a question, but it's not like a you have to always be talking to them, it's only as needed. I have the information I need and I know how to connect to them if I need it but it's not an overwhelming always type of thing.

Being with Whitmore, I think my son walks away feeling like he can do it and that he feels successful. I also think that he's motivated because the ball is in his court and he has all the information and he can take the time to learn it, or he can learn in a few lessons, and he just slacked off and didn't do well, and then he has to go back and redo it. So, there's no point in doing that. And so, I feel like it's very doable and he can be successful but it takes him putting in the effort. And that has been a really good lesson for him.

Caroline,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing fine work at Whitmore School, his grades and dedication are evident.
    Both our children are adopted and you are so smart to focus on your family and actually learning the material. Both will insure his success!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 25, 2020

Enrolling was pretty simple and straightforward. I like the website. It was simple. They always get back to me really quickly, like the next day. They're really nice. They seem like they really want the kids to do well. My son has straight As and I like that they let him work at his own pace. He's able to make correction on things so I feel like he's actually learning. It's a good education and the cost is appropriate.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Cassie. So pleased to hear your son is enjoying our Mastery Learning System. We find that everyone learns at a different rate, but we can all master a subject if we can take the time we need to understand.
    Please encourage him to keep up his good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 27, 2020

I sent my daughter to my country in Indonesia. She can follow the online schools the government has but the time is different. So, that means she has to wake up the right time to study because of the 24-hour time difference. I talked to one lady who has a daughter that also goes to online school. I told her my trouble with the government online school and she gave me the online price for Whitmore School and I thought that it might be better.

In the first year, my daughter didn't wanna stay there. So I lost my money because she didn't want to study. The next year, I told her that if she would go to college someday, she would have to finish school first. Then I will bring her back again to the United States someday and she can get a college degree here. So I signed her up for the second year.

I'm really very happy with Whitmore School. Every week I get the report card and if we call them, they answer us and they don't put us on hold for too long. It's a little bit hard to understand them on the phone. Then after some time, I asked a friend of mine to sit down with me when we call Whitmore. We were confused about why we would have to pay this and that. But their reps answered very nicely and they try to explain why we had the charges on the last bill.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Lily! Your daughter is so close to graduating, so pleased she is successful.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 12, 2020

I primarily chose Whitmore School for the flexibility of when we could start and how we could work the program. Aside from their model for pricing versus buying different courses, I like the way they approached online schooling with you buy for a year. I also I liked the way that they evaluated other GPAs. Enrolling was super easy, very smooth, and quick. They’re very attentive. I was able to talk to a lot of different people and have my questions answered before I made the decision.

My son really met the majority of his curriculum required to graduate, so he had a lot of flexibility in the courses that he took. He needed four and a half credits within the school based on their general requirements. He took courses that on the outlook wouldn’t be super hard, but the material was interesting. He found it was more interesting than he expected it to be. In a lot of cases, it was more work than he thought it would be. But it was pretty good because there was value in it versus just going through the motions ‘cause he had to get the credits. It was a great experience. In fact, I’ve referred several other people to Whitmore. One of my son's friends is enrolling for next year. We would certainly be a reference and we’ll continue to share it with others.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Erin! Please give our best wishes to your Son, hope he has success in his future endeavors.

Thank you for your referrals too!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 21, 2020

The reviews about Whitmore School really stood out for me and their enrollment process was easy. We just had to submit the paper that we had from the school and that was all for the current grade that my daughter was going. My interactions with them all went smoothly. My daughter is more independent in her studies with Whitmore School and she’s doing better than in a regular school.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Gabriela! So glad to hear your Daughter is doing better in our school. Please tell her to keep up her good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 19, 2020

We were looking for a new opportunity for my daughter's school. It’s a bit of a challenge getting her up and moving in the morning. With some research online, we came across Whitmore and we thought this would be the way to go. She’s done really well with Whitmore School. I like the communication from the counselor once a week and the communication monthly from the counselor with the real updated report. She can have constant contact with her teachers, pretty rapid response, and they actually are learning. Being able to do the revisions on work assignments means that she’s actually learning and not just moving on without learning the core details.

The professors are great. I love the fact that my daughter's Spanish teacher lives in Chile. That’s amazing. They’re all over the place and she seems to develop a pretty good relationship with all of them. My daughter's confidence level is very strong now. I’m really impressed with Whitmore School and I tell everybody about it. With all of this COVID-19 that’s going on, she’s ahead of the curve here now.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Courtney! Your Daughter is doing very well with us. We are so pleased she enjoys Mastery Learning, it's so important to learn and retain the core principles of every lesson.
    I will let Christine know your Daughter is enjoying her Spanish Class.
    Thank you!!

Whitmore School author review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team