4.90/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 30, 2019

I thought online schooling was better for my son to have a better learning environment so he wouldn’t have to feel the pressures of regular public schools. I decided to go with Whitmore due to the fact that it was all about mastery learning. I think that’s just better. They don’t pass you unless you master the subject and that’s something that’s invaluable to me and my family. The enrollment was very easy. I was able to go online and put in his basic information. About an hour later, I decided to call them and they already had my information up and basically stated down. We had to prove them with two transcripts from his prior schools and he was enrolled that very same day after payment was set up. The pricing of the school was also very good.

The instructors were very nice to my son at all times, even at times when he felt frustrated. They exercised great patience and always kept him focused on the end goal, which was to master the subject that they were learning at that time. He took English 11 and 12, Spanish 1 for half a semester for half the credit, and Spanish 2 for the whole credit. He also took Geometry and Algebra. The education is very high quality and we should let more people know about Whitmore.

It was a wonderful opportunity for my son to excel and know that school isn’t a bad place. You can go to online school, really enjoy yourself, learn at the optimal level and achieve the goals that you had set out. The primary reason for school is learning and Whitmore School emphasizes that. It’s a great organization and school. They've definitely helped my son achieve his goals of high school success. It was a very satisfying experience. It was great for my son and he would totally agree also. My child is very happy knowing that he graduated and got a very quality education. The graduation ceremony that they put on was wonderful too, especially getting kids from all over the United States to come together in one area.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review. I agree, mastery learning is a great way to truly learn the material and be able to retain it.
Thank you for coming to the 2019 Graduation, it was great to meet you and Tyler in person. We all hope Tyler has a successful future.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 29, 2019

My son was a junior and he was interested in joining the Marine Corps. He was just getting bored with school and he thought it was a waste of time with the local public school. Mainly the problem in the past was that we would get reports that he’s not doing his homework. So then, we told him not to take it the wrong way and that we’re gonna ground him. He can't go out on a weekend unless he gets all his homework done. He would do it and he would make all A’s.

He was like bum-rushed. All his works he hadn’t done for weeks into a weekend or a couple of days, per weekend, and make an A. So we just felt like he was bored with school. We enrolled him in Whitmore and the reason we chose them was because it doesn’t seem to be fooling around unlike other online schools. Whitmore seems to look at it right and they were straight up about what they will make him do. They also arranged the classes where you just couldn’t just bum-rush it. Their classes were structured. I want the boy to have a good education. I didn’t want him just getting a diploma but I want him to learn something. Also, the enrollment process with Whitmore was easy. They talked to us, we went online, we filled the form out, and he was enrolled.

I’d also get a review once a week on his grades and his progress. That was as much as I needed. My son can’t get listed until he graduates, but he could take the ASVAB and the physical. So we needed certain letters from the school, nothing that wasn’t true. And the school has written back where he's at, the truth, and that’s what we took.

When he was enrolled, they said he has completed senior level classes. He is considered a senior in their school that allowed him to having a physical. And then when he graduated, we had to wait. It took four to six weeks for a diploma. It didn’t take that long, but that’s what they said, in two to three weeks. And then we told them he was really eager to get in the Marine Corps list and asked them if they can write a letter saying that he’s completed all his classes and will receive a diploma in the mail. They said, "Not a problem."

They worked with us when it came to the paperwork. It was never a challenge. In fact, when I told them he was joining the Marine Corps, they thanked him for the service and being all that. Also, when my son had a question about how he wanna work, within 24 hours, he’d always receive an email back saying, “Well, this is the way of doing this and this is why,” or “Yeah, go ahead and do that where I will allow it.” For any questions he had, he’d always get a quick response. My son also usually just gets up in the morning, run his four miles, come back and would lock himself in his room and do nothing but Whitmore all day. He’d come out for lunch then go back into his room. He really dedicated himself and he found it. I’d recommend Whitmore and say I’m satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
Jason, thank you for your review. You have a lot to be proud of regarding your son's accomplishments at Whitmore School. As you stated, we are not an easy school, we don't just pass out diplomas to the students. Our successful students take personal responsibility for their education. That means they not only have to do their studies, they have to motivate themselves to actually get out of bed and do the work.
Please tell him how proud we all are of his success and that we wish him the very best serving in the Marines!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We knew we were going to travel quite a bit and eventually immigrate to a new country, so we decided to enroll our son in an online high school. We chose Whitmore because they were fully accredited, convenient, flexible, affordable, no textbooks required, and they encourage mastery learning. The process to enroll was straightforward and efficient, and you can begin the program within a few days. My son has been attending Whitmore for about 5 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He actually wants to learn now, which is a HUGE plus in my book. My son knows he will be given the time he needs to master what he is learning, which gives him the confidence to fully absorb the material, stay consistent and on track.

If you get a bad grade in a traditional school, you are not given a chance to figure out what you did wrong. They move forward whether you learn the material or not. A "D" in a traditional school is considered a passing grade, so you can literally go through an entire course and not learn anything at all. That is not a quality education and will not prepare your child for the real world. Another plus about Whitmore is that my son no longer fears test taking, because he knows that if he doesn't do well, he'll be given a chance to figure out what he did wrong and correct it. Thus, he's actually fully learning the material before moving on. I wish all schools encouraged this learning style.

Since beginning the Whitmore program, my son has been fully motivated and self-disciplined in his studies. I never have to remind him to do his work, because he no longer has the anxiety and fears about learning that he did in public school. My son also loves that he can easily message his teachers whenever he needs help, and they are really good about responding promptly. Overall, learning should be a positive experience, not riddled with fear and anxiety. Fostering a love of learning through mastery is, in my opinion, the best way to educate. Thanks, Whitmore. :)

Robin,
Thank you for such a wonderful review and 5 star rating! We share your belief that learning should be a positive experience. As you know, Mastery Learning allows your son to move through his courses at his own pace. Spending more time with the difficult subjects.
Please tell him to keep up the solid work and making all of us proud of him.

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My daughter is studying at Whitmore and I could not be happier. There are just so many good things to say about the school, they would not fit into one short review. The price is very competitive, the interface and IT side of school is easy to navigate, informative, logically organized and well thought through. But most importantly, it's the school people.

All the teachers are knowledgeable, professional, very responsive. The Admin staff is the nicest you can find and very easy to deal with. Everyone works in partnership with you and your child. You will never feel looked down upon or just a number. You will feel like they are your extended family now. The teachers constantly communicate with your child and make sure that she learns and produces quality work. Only work that reaches the expected standard is accepted for marking. Otherwise, it is returned back to the student. Then the teacher and the student work together to reach a better outcome. It's like daily individual tutoring! My teenage daughter has been with the school for only three months. However, she is very impressed with her own improvement on all subjects. What could be a better compliment to a school than a child's words to her university educated family: "Mum, after this school, I am going to know more than any of you!"

Dear Elena,
Thank you for such a meaningful review. At Whitmore School we try to be student focused and when we hear from a parent that it is working and their daughter is excelling, it makes it all worth it.
Your daughter's dedication to her studies is excellent. She has taken responsibility for her education and achieving success. You should be very proud of her!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My older son suffers from clinical depression and anxiety, and he was hospitalized a lot this year. So, we took him out of his regular high school. Whitmore School is a good fit for him. Also, their price is reasonable and they are accredited. He is taking two English courses. He’s on the second history course, as well as practical math. He started in junior year, and now he is in senior year. The mastery level is good, and going with your own pace is what he needed. Enrollment was very easy, too. The only thing that took some time was from his high school sending his transcripts from the old high school to Whitmore. Overall, it has been a great help for us. It is working for him.

Hi Susan,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing great work at Whitmore School and earning solid grades.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My daughter and I live in Uruguay. I wanted her to be bilingual but the schools here are terrible. We found Whitmore and the principal, guidance counselor and teachers give more than any school ever would. My daughter gets such detailed feedback on her work and they are keeping her future options open, something that would not have happened here in Uruguayan schools.

Karen **

Whitmore School response
Karen, thank you for you kind review. Your daughter is doing exceptional work with us. So glad you are pleased with our teachers and their dedication to our students!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Whitmore School's personnel were so nice and they answered my questions. My child is on 12th grade now and doing full-time school. And so far, our experience with them has been good.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We were living in Mexico and my daughter wasn't liking the schools there, so we went to online schooling. We had a friend of ours that went to Whitmore, and they said it was really good. We looked at everything and it looked like a good school. Enrolling was fairly easy and the personnel helped my daughter out. When she messaged the teacher, she'd get right back to her. Now she's doing really well. She's gonna be finishing up and going to college now that we're back in the States. We're in Texas and some of these schools only care about passing these government tests and don't really get into the school part of education. Whitmore is much better.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Troy. Your daughter is doing very well with us, you should be very proud of her.
Your assessment of the public schools caring more about test results is correct. Sometimes I think they care more about the test results than teaching the student how to think critically and take responsibility for their own education.
Please tell her to keep up the good work!!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student-athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs