Call toll free
4.77/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

75 Whitmore School Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

When we enrolled our son at Whitmore School, the process was straightforward. We contacted somebody there and had to go to our school and get some paperwork and send it along. I have read the reviews that we could find online about Whitmore and they seem to have challenging courses. Right now, my son is completing eleventh grade, so he has general studies and then a few electives. So far, he finds it difficult to be self-starting. Since there's not a lot of interaction, teachers or classrooms where you get to collaborate, you have to just go and find everything yourself.

On the other hand, we find that he retains information much better. In the past, after he comes home from school and asked how it went, he would just say fine. Now, he comes home and tells us all the stuff he had learned. Meanwhile, our interactions with the personnel have been on an as-needed basis. My son reaches out when he has an issue, and they'll reach out if they feel he's falling behind. But other than that, they're self-sustained. And with the cost of around a couple thousand dollars, it is affordable for most people. In fact, it's cheaper than a private school. Overall, we've been satisfied and happy with Whitmore.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

My boy was headed into the ninth grade and he wanted to go to college. The school that he was in wanted him to take something called Jump Start or Head Start, which meant they were sending him to vocation school. I thought he was too young to do something like that. That was why we decided on online school. He has been behind anyway and not getting any schools. And we thought that we could provide some extra assistance ourselves this year. There were other options and one was free for the state but it was the same thing we were getting. He may need someone else other than the teachers at school and so we went with Whitmore School.

The enrollment process was very easy. We enrolled and told them what grade he was in. We also spoke with several people. They were all very interested. I can call anytime and they answer the phone. Right now, my boy is in a stress management class. He is also taking Algebra and English. He struggled with English and his English teacher is excellent and very patient. She is very specific about what she wants for him. She gives him no room for air and she gets kudos.

However, I can’t speak to the teachers directly. Whitmore encourages my boy to speak one-on-one with his teacher and tell her about his issue and speak with a counselor. It has been a good thing though. So, I have to go through his counselor who is very prompt and has solved every issue that we’ve had. She never failed to answer the actual phone. I can also email her and call her from 9 to 5. Whitmore School is the perfect school if you want to achieve college. Their cost was around 1,200 and we got way more than what we paid for.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My daughter wanted to be a professional ballet dancer, which requires about 30 to 40 hours of ballet a week, and so we needed a flexible time, which she had with Whitmore School. I did some research online and I looked at positive reviews for online schools. Based on my experience with Whitmore in general and talking to them about it in comparing to other schools, they were very reasonable in their cost. I've had excellent interactions with Whitmore's personnel. They were very responsive, very informative and I’m a huge advocate of it.

I don’t think Whitmore offers dual enrollment, which is something we offer in Georgia. It allows students who are smart in going through high school to actually dual enroll and get some of their core curricula out of their way for college. And those classes would actually substitute for their high school courses. They have to take a test, but they essentially become their high school course and they get college credit for it. So, it serves both purposes.

Other than that, from a learning aspect, my daughter is very smart and she seems really challenged with the courses at Whitmore. They have honors courses that she could take, and that was one of the reasons we chose her program. They don’t offer AT courses and it could be an issue for others. Nevertheless, path that my daughter wanted wasn’t really something necessary for us and she seems to be successful.

Original review: July 2, 2018

So that I can watch over Nathaniel more, I decided to enroll him in online schooling. I was about to enroll him in a different school and a pop-up ad for Whitmore came up. I decided to check them out and I liked them. They look like doing an actual education and not just busy work. We didn't know what to expect, but their people were pleasant and not intrusive. Nathaniel is taking classes that you'd expect for college prep, ninth grader and the curriculum is harder than his regular school would be. It's not free but I think the education program is better and we're satisfied so far.

Original review: June 6, 2018

My son has attended several brick and mortar schools and also attended a public virtual school. Whitmore is, hands down, the best school for his needs we have ever come across. My son is dyslexic and on the high functioning end of the spectrum and is also extremely intelligent. This makes public school difficult, loud noises distract and frustrate him and as with any dyslexic, writing takes longer than average. The model that Whitmore offers is perfect for him. Focusing on three subjects at a time allows for mastery in subjects instead of struggling to keep things organized. His favorite subject this year was Conceptual Physics. It uses science fiction and current physics concepts to teach students theoretical physics. Each teacher reviews and gives fantastic feedback all through the lessons so he had concrete improvements throughout. I cannot imagine a better school for my son!

Dear Lori,
Thank you for your great review. We are all pleased with your sons success at Whitmore. I will make sure I share this review with all of his teachers!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: May 30, 2018

Whitmore had more accreditation, and more personal response and you can confirm when you call them, unlike some other high schools where you have to wait about a week for somebody to get back to you. I had to send my daughter's application and grades, and Whitmore evaluated them and then they got back to me. They've been very hands-on. As soon as you call there, they're willing to help with any questions you have, and they explain everything. They have great customer service and they are very supportive with their students. My daughter takes US Government, Biology, Art Appreciation, Algebra, and English with Whitmore. The learning process is very hard but very thorough. The teachers get back to her once she submits a project or assignment, and they give her one-on-one help.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your kind words.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 29, 2018

My son was very unhappy at the school he was in and he told me he wanted to make a change. He did the research and he found that among the ones he was looking at, Whitmore School was the only one that was accredited. We went to the local college to see what they had to say and they seemed to say it was a fine idea. We did an inquiry and we sent Whitmore School the unofficial transcript at that time. Part of what we wanted to know since he did it mid-year was if he would lose some credits. They gave us an idea of what we would have to do.

The only thing I found frustrating was that my son was taking Language and we didn’t know until he was actually enrolled and they gave us his classes that they didn’t have any other Language. They did a pretty good job but that was a big one to say that they only offer two years of Language when most kids in high school often are taking three or four. They need to be clear and upfront about what they offer.

My son has gone through pretty quickly. He finished his junior year English, Psychology, Social Studies requirement and maybe History. He is in the process of finishing a Biology lab course. He took Test Prep and he's taking World Geography right now. He was in an International Baccalaureate program so the theory is now split. Three of the classes he was taking at his high school didn’t translate into anything like Language. He had an Integrated Math and they only have standard courses so that did not translate. He's just starting over which isn’t a bad thing for him because he didn’t do that one anyway.

With Whitmore School, there's a lot of one on one attention and this is particularly strong for my son. If he makes a mistake or if there's something he can improve on, he gets direct and very specific feedback and since he has a chance to redo it, he redoes it. He is much more engaged in his assignment and he works harder to do it well. He knows exactly what he needs to do and that's good. He just had so much work to do that he checked it all. He just did it and he didn’t really care if it was done well. It was like robotic. That is a great advantage and he is learning a lot.

However, my son was in the International Baccalaureate program so I don’t think the rigor is the same. It would be lower. And there's no testing which will be somewhat of an advantage or him. For example, he's not a Math person and he just goes through. He wants to learn it, but he also really wants to get it done. He keeps working at it to get it right. But getting tested two weeks later makes it a little easier. If somebody's actively interested in a cyber school experience, they already know that it's going to be somewhat independent.

Dear Peggy,

We are so pleased that your son is doing well in his classes. The more we can engage our students, the more success they achieve. Thank you for your review!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 18, 2018

When public school wasn't working for my son very well, I enrolled him at Whitmore School. They had great reviews. Enrollment was very smooth and the communication was great. I dealt with their guidance counselor, Kathleen, and she's wonderful. She communicates very effectively with both me and my son, Ethan. He took American Government, Spanish, Anatomy, and we're in the middle of World History. We've got a little bit of everything as well as the selective. I'm satisfied with its cost and quality of the education. It's a flexible learning system and tailored to a person's needs.

Dear Catherine,
Thank you for your kind review. Your son is doing a good job, every course he takes shows his strong effort. I will make sure Kathleen sees your comments.

Steve

Original review: May 13, 2018

Our son has just completed his first year with Whitmore School, which was the 9th-grade curriculum. I highly recommend this school for more reasons that I can say. Staff is polite, knowledgeable, and always quick to respond. Teachers were friendly and encouraging with their responses. Best decision we have ever made. Whitmore School - please continue to do what you are doing. Thank you!

Thank you Mary!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 11, 2018

We enrolled our daughter in online schooling because of the significant amount of homework from a regular school with being an athlete. She trains 20+ hours a week. An online school is offered through public education for North Carolina. However, if she has a competition out of state which is so many hours away, the school would still be considered as missed and with her schedule, it was not effective.

I called Whitmore School. This is the first time that we have done something out of the public education and they were able to answer all my questions as well as a few follow-up questions via email. I looked at probably 15 to 20 different online schools. I picked Whitmore for a combination of the courses that they had available, as well as their tuition, and then the feedback I had with them when I contacted them. I enrolled my daughter two weeks after my first communication with them. She already completed Physical Education, Science and another course. She’s currently enrolled in World Geography, Algebra and English.

The quality is definitely worth the cost. She currently takes three courses at a time based on the way that the schedule is developed and that has been advantageous to her because she has been able to focus within those areas. Compared to a regular high school wherein she does an English class for one year, in Whitmore School, she does that in about six months. And then goes to a semester that has her next three courses.

I really do like Whitmore School but there should be a little bit of improvement. They could increase the variety of courses. They have some electives like the community service work which we really like but I would like a higher variety of language, different options for sciences, and things like that. Also, my daughter said that there are things she may not understand at first that she has to get clarification on just because of the way the content is written or articulated.

Dear Jenna,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are looking at adding additional courses and hope to have them available soon.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 2, 2018

Mark is a high functioning autistic and has some learning disabilities that require me to work closely with him. He has some vision issues, too. I did a lot of research and compared different online schools. I wanted something that would provide some structure but something that still had some flexibility so that I could work with his needs. Whitmore has a good and sound selection of courses. The enrolment wasn't difficult and they did a good job with it. Mark took all the normal high school requirements such as English, Math, Sciences and he also took a few extra things like Web Design and Economics. The quality of the education was good and the cost for it was fair. Some instructors were a bit more supportive and interactive than others but that's normal. If someone talked to me about being interested in online school, I would recommend Whitmore.

Deborah,
Thank you for your review of Whitmore School. I am glad we could offer a program that worked well for Mark. The credit goes to him, he worked very hard for every grade. Both of you should be very proud of his accomplishments, including his graduation!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 30, 2018

My name is Brandy, I'm 22 years old and a teen mom. Whitmore High School helped me finish high school after I became pregnant at 15 years old. I quit school because to me my daughter was more important than school. My now husband and the father to my daughter had finished his high school through Whitmore. His family told me about the school and I thought it would be a great idea to get my high school diploma through them too. It may have taken me seven year to finish but I did it! So no matter what the reason you think you can not finish school trust me you can! The teachers are amazing and understand learning disabilities. I would really recommend this school to any student who has had a hard time in public school for whatever reasons or for students that exhale at school. If it wasn't for the teachers, my guidance counselor, all my family and friends; I would have never thought I would graduate.

Whitmore School response
Congratulations Brandy! You reached your goal and we are all very proud of you. Your dedication and perseverance showed with excellent grades in every subject. Thank you for your kind review.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My daughter had some problems with anxiety and bullying in her normal high school. I compared a lot of online schools and did some research on it, and Whitmore had the middle of the road where it wasn’t too expensive but still offered a good selection of classes and the ability to graduate easily. As far as the registration process went, the main thing that we had to do was online. I sent a message to them saying my daughter was interested and they immediately hooked me into somebody to contact with. And from that person, we sent in transcripts from my daughter’s normal high school. They reviewed the transcripts in 24 to 48 hours and came back with the classes she would need for her graduation requirements. My daughter has talked personally to some of the Whitmore School personnel.

The people in the registration were very easy to work with. I had a couple of questions before I fully signed her up and they were able to answer those questions very quickly for me so I felt comfortable spending the money in registering for the classes. She has had some really good interaction with some of her instructors that she’s had. She’s a perfectionist and whenever she has a problem or wants to resolve why she didn’t get an A, they had been really good with working with her. We weren’t sure what to expect because she hadn’t done online schooling before but it took her a bit to grasp how exercises were assigned and done.

The biggest thing for her was the limiting of how many exercises you can have out at one time before they were graded and brought back. That drove her crazy at first because she’s progressing at a quicker rate but she got used to waiting for the instructor to come back and grade and then submit things. I would definitely recommend Whitmore School and have recommended it to a couple of other people whose kids have anxiety too. It’s a good fit for our daughter Jenna.

Brian,
Thank you for your review. We understand the high anxiety that students go through at traditional schools. When you take away that anxiety students can achieve their true potential. So glad to see your daughter doing well, please tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We weren’t happy with the quality of education our daughter was getting in the New York public school system and transferring schools is a difficult process after the first semester of school. We looked at all of the options and realized all the online schools were accredited. Whitmore School had been around for a long time. They had an interesting population of students and they were affordable so we reached out to them and got some more information. It was a bit different because New York State doesn’t recognize online schools, even though it’s virtually considered in most states like you’re going to a private school. In New York State, I had to go through a whole process with the Office of Home Schooling so I had to work with the counselors to get all of the information and they were great.

I had to provide the syllabi for all of my daughter’s courses that would be happening or, at least, a catalog description. I had to provide as if I made her whole teaching plan through graduation. They quickly approved it and we were all set to go. They then released her transcripts and I had to provide a quarterly report to them, but Whitmore School has been great in helping me. They provided everything I needed for that quarterly report. I emailed their main office and told them what I needed and they sent it to me.

My daughter loves the school so far. She’s already a junior and she’s doing really well in it. She feels they have superior material that she’s learning more than what she was doing in school. It’s self-paced so that’s nice. It also has a functioning of holding her back, slowing her down, that she can only do a lesson a day to send back. So it really helps her not to overwork herself because she’s one of those that would plow through everything really fast if it wasn’t paced like that. We like it and we’re really happy with it. I’ve already recommended Whitmore School to people.

Sarah,

Thank you for your 5 Star Review. We are so glad you and your daughter are please with Whitmore School. She is doing quality work and her grades reflect it! Thank you, Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My daughter has mild autism and she was very misunderstood by peers and teachers in our little town. Based on the reviews that we read and the feedback that we received, Whitmore School was the most responsive with regard to the questions of the kids in terms of teacher’s responses as well as administration to the parents. For the services we get, the price is right.

The enrollment was very quick and simple. We requested her transcript from her old school, her brick and mortar school, and we sent it to Whitmore. They came up with the courses that she would need towards graduation like English and Biology and she started within a week. She enrolled as a tenth grader. She took music appreciation too and she really enjoyed her teacher so she enjoyed the course. She also took Art History and Algebra. It is really smooth. My child likes it which is really the most important thing and it’s a good fit for us. She’s in Biology right now and there are a couple of labs and it will be interesting to see how that goes.

We’ve had lots of interactions with them and when I call, someone picks up the phone right away. They usually transfer my call and then I can generally speak to the person that I need to speak during business hours. They are always very friendly and helpful. We had some billing issues and I spoke with the billing department who happens to be the co-owner. He was also professional so everything in terms of phone communication was really top-notch.

Christina,
Thank you for your review. Your daughter is doing fantastic, we are so glad she is enjoying her courses and teachers! Please tell her how great she is doing.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My daughter had been looking for other schools and she had read all the comments for every online school. She chose Whitmore since it has a better program than the others. This school has some of the programs she was interested in and she's really happy with some of the courses because they teach them the way she likes it. She was in a private school before so the cost is cheaper now. I'm really happy with this school because she's really into it. I'm going to recommend this to my friend's daughter too.

Yoomi,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased with your daughter's success, please tell her to continue with her good work.

Steve

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I liked all of Whitmore School's options and that my daughter didn’t have to check into certain a time, she could do it at her own pace. I paid a little extra so that we could get the weekly report too. The enrollment process was super quick and easy and I’m not a huge computer person. I also had the ability to call if I needed anything like when I had one question and they clarified it for me and it wasn’t a big deal. My daughter did English, Prep Test, Music, Stress Management and Government with them. Everything has been a positive thing. I was a little nervous at first because I’ve never done it before but everything has been smooth. They’re right there to help me and I have the ability to really keep up with and know exactly what she’s doing which is nice for me because she’s in a totally different state and she doesn’t really communicate.

Aimee,
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad your daughter is doing so well. The weekly reports are a good way to see exactly how she is doing.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

We had tried other online options, and then a friend of mine used Whitmore School and was very happy. Enrolling was really simple. I just called and explained that we had to redo my daughter's ninth grade year but we were able to take ninth and tenth grade and moosh it together so it worked. Moreover, the price is great, and everything was smooth and wonderful. To this day, that is still what I get. When I need to leave a message, I would hear back from them within 24 hours, too. So far, my daughter has completed Algebra 1, English 9, half of the credit of American Government and P.E. Now she’s currently doing Geometry, Stress Management, Physical Science, and the other half of American Government. However, I wish that there were more electives, like for different languages or other things that might be of interest to different kids. I have also referred them to others already.

Lisa,
Thank you for your great review. Your daughter is doing very well!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

We've been involved with Whitmore since August and it has been a great experience for us. My son was in a public school that was not quite a great place for him to be. Academically, he was having some issues and there were some other issues such as bullying. It wasn't a great school. So, he asked if he could do something else and I did some research and saw some consistently good reviews for the Whitmore School so I engaged with them July of last year.

There were a lot of reviews and feedback regarding high schools online, and there was a school in particular that caught my attention. It was a popular school located in Pennsylvania. I researched on that and I wasn't happy with some of the feedback that I saw. That was when I opened it up to exploring schools. The feedback that I got at Whitmore, from parents who had children and from students reviews as well, was excellent. They also have a great reputation. We went thru the whole route at the Better Business Bureau.

It was an online application. Once that was completed, I had to go to his school to get transcripts forwarded. It was simple. Attending an online school is very different. In a lot of respects, it's great since he has six classes this year and he was able to complete all of his daily work inside of a couple of hours a day. But the frustration, in the beginning, was not being able to ask a question and get immediate feedback. There was always a one day delay in emailing a teacher about something he may not have understood and then getting a response.

Compared to the tuition at private schools in our area, running about $12,000, the tuition at Whitmore was reasonable. My son took American History and World Geography. He's taking Career Planning, Algebra II and English class. His grades are incredibly good and are consistently 90 to 100 in every class that he's completed. Out of the six classes, he's completed three so far. He was given three at the beginning of the semester. And then, as he completed the class, it was replaced by another class. The guidance counselor has been terrific, and if I have any issues, then I call her. Other than that adjustment to an online school has got a lot of advantages and some disadvantages too. But it has been a great experience, overall.

The only concerning issue is the socialization part since it's very different. He’s not in a class of 25 kids. He doesn’t have that social experience that he would have if he was sent to school. But from a learning standpoint and the amount of work that he can get done in a relatively short period of time, since he’s not changing classes, having recess, go in a gym, having lunch, is very good.

Ross,
Thank you for your review of Whitmore School. We are very pleased with your son's success and dedication to his school work.
You are right about the challenge to have him socialize, but there are ways to deal with it. I have attached a few Blog Posts from students of ours who have had success with socializing. Please check them out:
Alina B. -http://www.whitmoreschool.org/blog/be-social-be-active/
Kerim O. -http://www.whitmoreschool.org/blog/school-work-play-finding-time/
Garrett M. -http://www.whitmoreschool.org/blog/time-mountain-bike-racing-epic/
More Blogs from our students on the Website.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

There were bullying in a local school system so I enrolled my daughter in Whitmore School. I like their reviews so I enrolled, paid and set everything up online. I went to her previous school and had them send the transcripts over to Whitmore. My daughter has already completed computer application and American history, and she's currently taking English, math, and stress management. She's getting better grades than she did when she was in a traditional school because she doesn't have the distraction. So, I'm very pleased with everything that's going on right now. Whitmore has a good quality education.

Regina,
Thank you for your kind review. We do receive many enrollments for students that have been bullied. We find once you remove the negative distraction, they can thrive and do their best work. Your daughter is a great example of this. Please tell her she is doing great work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Whitmore School was the only one I could confirm as being accredited for my son. We were overseas and we were pretty sure we were going to be traveling so, I figured that Whitmore would be the easiest way to get him through high school. We enrolled online and filled in our information, then because we were out of the country, we wired the tuition. It was a fairly simple process. My son took the entire high school curriculum and he seemed to learn really well. He got really good at writing and he was writing at a college level by his senior year. He also got really good at researching and compiling. He's been helping my husband edit his brief to his boss. He did really well.

They have a really attentive program where he's emailing back and forth through his system with the teachers. They do revisions until he gets the paper up above a B. He got almost straight A's. Whitmore was fairly economical. The education was top rate and I felt like he got total individual attention. The hardest part is you have to do it at home, where you have to make sure they sit down and do their work. But if you're going to homeschool they're a good way to go. It was like a really good private school and it was quite a good price for the experience. We're going to be sending him to college to spring, so he's pretty happy about that. It turned out to work out really well and it was a good experience overall. If somebody wanted to do an online high school, I'd recommend Whitmore.

Erin,
Thank you for your great review. Your son is a good example of when a student takes responsible for their education, they excel. He worked hard, submitted excellent work and received deserving grades. The icing on the cake is proof reading Dad's work.
Please tell him we are all very proud of him!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

We moved from Florida that had free online school to Maryland. Then, we came across Whitmore School. Their price was reasonable and my daughter could start any time of the year. The enrollment process was super easy. It was just a sign-up sheet done online. It was also very easy to contact the personnel via email. They answer in less than 24 hours. My daughter took up Business English, Anatomy and Physiology, Computer Applications and Web Design and half a year of test-taking class. We were very pleased with what they offered. When asked, people should definitely give Whitmore School a chance in meeting their child's needs.

Whitmore School response
Thank you Sheila, your daughter did quality work with us. Hope she continues to succeed!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We are living out of the country, so my daughter decided to enroll in online schooling. She was with James Madison at first but transferred to Whitmore because she wasn't satisfied with the previous program she was doing. She didn't feel challenged enough. She chose Whitmore based on the rigorousness of the academic experience that you can get online and it worked out well for her. She was learning more. Whitmore's staff has also been friendly whenever I talked to them and were knowledgeable. The experience has been good overall.

Shane,

Thank you for your kind review.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Regular school was not something my daughter Laura was technically very well with. She wasn't interested in any courses and extra-curricular activities there. Her grades weren't as well as they should be and she wanted to advance quickly. She wanted to turn and would not graduate until this coming Spring, but she wanted to go ahead and try and get her two years in one year so she can go ahead and graduate. I looked through all online schooling options and kept looking with it online, and read all of the reviews. When I got to Whitmore School, I looked at their curriculum and how they did their schooling. Laura's not ever been really great at testing and it always messed her up. But she saw good things out of Whitmore really bad and walked away to say that they worked it when they didn't do the testing. They had their scores that they wrote a 9 out of 10, and she could do her work over if she needed to.

Once turned in, it wasn't set in stone. If her score wasn't what she was happy with or didn't meet what they need to, she could redo it and I liked that fact. I called Whitmore on the phone and I printed out a sheet and got Laura’s transcripts from her school here, and the school mailed it to Whitmore. I talked with Whitmore on the phone and we got her enrolled. We did most of the paperwork over the phone and any forms that I needed, I got offline. I only had to talk with the personnel a few times but every time I did, I was able to get them on the phone right away and they were able to take care whatever questions I had immediately. Laura took Honors Junior English and then, she took regular Senior English. She took a computer course. She had Economics and History that was a test course that she had to take, plus four more.

She did very well. Laura's always been big in computers and doing the learning experience on her own so she was very good with it. She interacted back and forth with the teachers, and I was able to go in and see everything that she did, all of her courses that she was working on, what she'd done, and the interaction between her and the teachers. And there were a few times that I even emailed the guidance counselors through her stuff. She noted to see what courses she needed to graduate. I looked around and Whitmore’s cost was comparable, maybe even cheaper than some of the ones that I found. It wasn’t outrageous and we got the one year. We had six credits that we can do in a year so we got the one price for all of them. It was fair.

It's a very positive experience, and I would definitely recommend them. It depends on the type of person. I told Laura that, I myself at her age, I couldn’t have had the discipline to be at home and go through all that. I knew with her being in high school that I don't have a call discretion and would not be able to homeschool her. And this school, she had the teachers right there. There wasn't anything I had to teach her. She interacted back and forth with the teachers and I was able to monitor it. And I also liked that fact. It was something where the teachers are there and she's got access to them and she can email back and forth when she has questions and stuff, which she did quite a bit with them. Our experience with them was very good and very satisfying.

Whitmore School response
Janice, thank you for your wonderful review. Laura had great success with us, you should be very proud of her! You are right, not every student has the discipline to be self motivated. We have found that once they accept the responsibility of their education, success so follows. We are all proud of Laura and wish her continued achievements!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I enrolled my son in online schooling because I didn’t want him to be in the environment of a public school. With high school, it’s so hard. I did some research about Whitmore School and asked a friend whose kids also went there. I heard good news about Whitmore so I decided to enroll my son. Everything with the enrollment process was easy. They have very good staff so all the time if I call, they answer the phone right away. They’re very nice, answer all my questions and help me through everything. I enrolled my daughter there, too. My son graduated and my daughter’s in 11th grade now. My son took Chemistry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, English 10, 11 and 12, and pretest. And my daughter took Spanish, World History, Algebra 1 and Geometry. Now she’s in Algebra 2, English 10 and Biology. If my daughter has any question, she sends an email to her teacher and they answer the next day.

I can afford to pay for my kids to go at Whitmore. The cost is reasonable for me and I pay some more money for tutoring in subjects. I need to have more tutor because my kids were in the public school before and they are not independent students. Sometimes they need someone to help and teach them especially in Math. My friend’s kids did so well on their own because they started online school when they were younger. However, my kids did not because my daughter was in public school until she reached 7th grade and my son until 10th grade.

Hasna,
Thank you for your great review. Please tell your daughter she is doing fantastic work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We started with Whitmore in August and it's been an amazing experience. I did some research on online schools for my son who wasn't doing particularly well in the traditional brick and mortar. Academically, he was fine. So I wanted something that he could manage on his own. Whitmore School showed up on several of the searches for the top 10 online schools that I looked for. Their enrollment process was very easy as well. My son was able to start on the day I got him enrolled. We weren't able to get transcripts to show the grade level of my son right away but Whitmore had a conversation with my son to find out where he was at. They were able to figure out his level and put him in a few classes until the transcripts showed up. He now takes college prep courses and he's exceeding expectations. He's getting a solid A through everything.

Initially, when we started the online process, I was able to call and get a hold of one of the educators that was talking me through the process. I appreciated the transparency that they gave me on how my child is doing. I get a weekly report telling me what my son has done and how he's performing and any suggestions that they have for him to be successful. I also appreciated that the educators are all highly educated. I feel like my son is getting a good education, based on what I see. My son reads the lesson and if he has a question, he communicates with his professor and his professor would get back to him and give him some more guidance. Then my son submits what’s needed to be submitted and if there's a revision, his professor would ask him to work on it again. They go back and forth and have communication. It's helping my son’s written communication skills and prepping him for college.

Whitmore School response
Susan, Thank you for your great review. You are right, your son is doing very high quality work with us. It is rewarding to watch a student take responsibility for his education and achieve success! Please tell him to keep up his good work.

Steve

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My son is a student-athlete at a hockey program in New Hampshire and we live in New York. We only have limited options for the State of New York so, after looking, Whitmore was one of the ones that the academy he goes to recommended. I went online and signed him up. He got contacted by a guidance counselor and we provided them his old transcript and they decided on what classes he needed to take. The personnel has also been very helpful during the resolution of some trouble with the NCAA eligibility.

However, the cost is hard for me and it's probably not steep for what he's getting, but it's steep to add that to already having to pay school taxes. New York does not offer online free but other states do. It's about 50/50 down the middle. I would have had to give my guardianship of my child to someone else in order for him to do something different. I could have done it with a family member because my family member lives in another free state, but it was just a lot to do.

I would recommend Whitmore, but it needs to be partnered with a program that is working with the students because there was some very lightweight supervision at his academy. The guidance counselors and the teachers are in contact with him but if I was doing it and I had him at home, I would be supervising him and pushing him to get the time management that he needs to do online schooling. He's not getting that where he is. Also, the only thing that I've ever had my son tell me is every once in a while he had a teacher that was a little slow on the turnaround time. Because of some deadlines, I called the school and said, “You need to tell the teacher that she needs to be on that,” and that was fixed.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Gretchen. We met your son in New Hampshire, he is a fine young man. Please tell him he should be very proud of his quality of work with us. He has achieved great success and needs to keep striving to be his best.

Steve

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I got married young and was not able to finish high school, and wound up getting divorced young as well. I never really felt comfortable with the fact that I did not finish college, especially now my daughter started to get older. Enrolling in an online schooling was really for my self. When I talked to the people at Whitmore School, they were friendlier and seemed more willing to work with me trying to get records together that were older because I needed to have a longer history and a lot of it. It seemed more like you weren’t buying a diploma and you would have to earn it when you’re doing it for yourself. What’s the point of doing it if you’re just buying it? I could have bought one a long time ago.

I didn’t have any problems with the enrollment process. I got my school records together so that they would know how to place me. I interacted with the Whitmore School personnel online and was always positive whenever they gave me feedback, even if they’re trying to teach you or expound on an idea. I talked with them about what kind of track I was wanting to take. They let me know which classes were necessary because I work full time and I wanted to do one or two classes at a time. You just submit your assignments and if they feel that you need to do any more work, they’ll email you back and you submit to them again. My college studies were very science-focused so it has filled in those holes for me that I was missing and gave me a broader education, which was what I was looking for and what I felt like I was missing. I would recommend them.

Lisa,
Thank you for a five star review! You are a perfect example of "if you can dream it, you can do it". Your work is perfect, straight A's! We are all very proud of your accomplishments.

Steve

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My daughter had a rough couple of years and left her public school. She went to another school and stayed there for about a month and a half, but it was just not working for her. So Whitmore School seemed like the best option for her at the time. We had looked at another school, and due to the schedule, she made the switch right at the last minute. Whitmore had fixed classes per year that had to get done, but at your own pace, whether it was fast or slow. That appealed to her instead of having set classes per semester.

The enrollment was pretty easy and the price was fair. We contacted the counselors and they faxed some transcripts over. She took an English, a History, and a Science course. Plus, she did community service. She struggled with her initiative but the feedback she got from her teachers was good. Plus, she's found the course material adequate, not too easy and not too hard.

If there was a gap between turning in assignments, the counselor lets us know. In addition, we could always see her progress so we could keep track of where she was. She's 17 and I work during the day. This wasn't supplemental like homeschooling. This was hands off and more her thing than mine, so it was good that they kept in contact with me. Plus, the weekly digest was good. In addition, they actually called a couple of times instead of just emailing. I'm satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Tina!

Steve

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Alex, my son plays hockey in the states and was in Canada. The coach of the team suggested Whitmore School. The enrollment process was fine. My son is still not finished so he's still enrolled. Now they told me that they're not NCAA accredited anymore so it's upsetting. He can't go to NCAA school and they didn’t tell me that he is ineligible because he had taken too long to complete his courses. I thought that he was done on that. The cost and quality of education are both mediocre as well.

Karen,
Thank you for your review. We are all very upset with the NCAA decision to cancel their relationship with us. We have been NCAA approved since 2010 and never had a complain or incident with them. We fought the decision from May to September this year, providing them with proof of student accomplishments and scores. All in all we gave them over 1500 pages of documentation and hours of attention. We are not sure the NCAA fully understands our self paced system that empowers students to take responsibility for their education.
We are glad to see your son is getting close to Graduation!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an accrediting organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs