It's that easy Get a Free Quote
4.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

128 Whitmore School Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 29, 2019

My son was a junior and he was interested in joining the Marine Corps. He was just getting bored with school and he thought it was a waste of time with the local public school. Mainly the problem in the past was that we would get reports that he’s not doing his homework. So then, we told him not to take it the wrong way and that we’re gonna ground him. He can't go out on a weekend unless he gets all his homework done. He would do it and he would make all A’s.

He was like bum-rushed. All his works he hadn’t done for weeks into a weekend or a couple of days, per weekend, and make an A. So we just felt like he was bored with school. We enrolled him in Whitmore and the reason we chose them was because it doesn’t seem to be fooling around unlike other online schools. Whitmore seems to look at it right and they were straight up about what they will make him do. They also arranged the classes where you just couldn’t just bum-rush it. Their classes were structured. I want the boy to have a good education. I didn’t want him just getting a diploma but I want him to learn something. Also, the enrollment process with Whitmore was easy. They talked to us, we went online, we filled the form out, and he was enrolled.

I’d also get a review once a week on his grades and his progress. That was as much as I needed. My son can’t get listed until he graduates, but he could take the ASVAB and the physical. So we needed certain letters from the school, nothing that wasn’t true. And the school has written back where he's at, the truth, and that’s what we took.

When he was enrolled, they said he has completed senior level classes. He is considered a senior in their school that allowed him to having a physical. And then when he graduated, we had to wait. It took four to six weeks for a diploma. It didn’t take that long, but that’s what they said, in two to three weeks. And then we told them he was really eager to get in the Marine Corps list and asked them if they can write a letter saying that he’s completed all his classes and will receive a diploma in the mail. They said, "Not a problem."

They worked with us when it came to the paperwork. It was never a challenge. In fact, when I told them he was joining the Marine Corps, they thanked him for the service and being all that. Also, when my son had a question about how he wanna work, within 24 hours, he’d always receive an email back saying, “Well, this is the way of doing this and this is why,” or “Yeah, go ahead and do that where I will allow it.” For any questions he had, he’d always get a quick response. My son also usually just gets up in the morning, run his four miles, come back and would lock himself in his room and do nothing but Whitmore all day. He’d come out for lunch then go back into his room. He really dedicated himself and he found it. I’d recommend Whitmore and say I’m satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
Jason, thank you for your review. You have a lot to be proud of regarding your son's accomplishments at Whitmore School. As you stated, we are not an easy school, we don't just pass out diplomas to the students. Our successful students take personal responsibility for their education. That means they not only have to do their studies, they have to motivate themselves to actually get out of bed and do the work.
Please tell him how proud we all are of his success and that we wish him the very best serving in the Marines!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We knew we were going to travel quite a bit and eventually immigrate to a new country, so we decided to enroll our son in an online high school. We chose Whitmore because they were fully accredited, convenient, flexible, affordable, no textbooks required, and they encourage mastery learning. The process to enroll was straightforward and efficient, and you can begin the program within a few days. My son has been attending Whitmore for about 5 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He actually wants to learn now, which is a HUGE plus in my book. My son knows he will be given the time he needs to master what he is learning, which gives him the confidence to fully absorb the material, stay consistent and on track.

If you get a bad grade in a traditional school, you are not given a chance to figure out what you did wrong. They move forward whether you learn the material or not. A "D" in a traditional school is considered a passing grade, so you can literally go through an entire course and not learn anything at all. That is not a quality education and will not prepare your child for the real world. Another plus about Whitmore is that my son no longer fears test taking, because he knows that if he doesn't do well, he'll be given a chance to figure out what he did wrong and correct it. Thus, he's actually fully learning the material before moving on. I wish all schools encouraged this learning style.

Since beginning the Whitmore program, my son has been fully motivated and self-disciplined in his studies. I never have to remind him to do his work, because he no longer has the anxiety and fears about learning that he did in public school. My son also loves that he can easily message his teachers whenever he needs help, and they are really good about responding promptly. Overall, learning should be a positive experience, not riddled with fear and anxiety. Fostering a love of learning through mastery is, in my opinion, the best way to educate. Thanks, Whitmore. :)

Robin,
Thank you for such a wonderful review and 5 star rating! We share your belief that learning should be a positive experience. As you know, Mastery Learning allows your son to move through his courses at his own pace. Spending more time with the difficult subjects.
Please tell him to keep up the solid work and making all of us proud of him.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My daughter is a singer-songwriter and is pursuing music. The traditional pattern of Monday through Friday from 7:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon wasn't allowing her to do what she needed to do. So, she needed a more flexible program that was at her pace, but still challenging enough because she's a smart girl. We had the benefit of another friend being able to do Whitmore School and that friend had a good experience. Eventually, we chose Whitmore as well since they were very reasonably priced at the time when we first started. Since then however, they have increased their price.

Whitmore School is self-paced and students have up to a year to finish the class. For our daughter, their curriculum was challenging enough after we saw what it was. It was college level. My daughter was an honor student before, so we needed to maintain that same level. The enrollment process was easy. We had to get the transcripts from the school, send them over to the Whitmore people, and they did all the necessary stuff to make sure we weren't gonna be falling to any type of short-listing situations in transferring.

My daughter took about all the classes required for graduation but there were a few electives that she didn't take. Math and Foreign Language can be very challenging for a student. That could use a little more modification and we talked to the people at Whitmore about that. My daughter had already accelerated and taken Foreign Language in earlier years, like in middle school, to get high school credits. And so, she only had to do half a semester. And I said to the staff at Whitmore, "The only thing is your foreign language. How do you know you're enunciating it correctly using the right inflection?" They said that they had hired a new person who started to do video stuff into their curriculum. So, they're very open. They also apologized that my daughter already went through it.

Our experience with Whitmore has been great. I heard other parents talk about what they do for the K-12 programs and Whitmore is better. Whitmore actually puts more of the burden on the student to grow up and be responsible than letting the parents intervene for the child, which I like because we need to prepare our child. I recommend Whitmore for kids that need the non-traditional approach for dedicated students that are doing something else. If the kids are studying gymnastics or training to be in the Olympics, this is a good program for those students.

Dear Melissa,
Thank you for your wonderful review. Your daughter is a very special student, with talents that are truely impressive. And you are correct, one of her strongest achievements with us is that she has taken responsibility for her own education. She is a fine young adult and you should be very proud!!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Whitmore School is more up-to-date and both my kids are on it. My daughter is used to this. Whitmore seemed to have more of what she needed and more of what she wanted. The enrollment process was easy. You could go online and read what you needed. It was very clear. It was very easy to understand and to deal with. If you had a question, you could call them and they would answer it. Their people were wonderful. When I needed something, they took care of it within 10 minutes.

Both my kids have taken many classes like English and Chemistry. They are doing very well. The ones at Whitmore are probably more advanced than in a regular school. In a regular school, you have to stay with other people. Whitmore education has been excellent. Compared to what was being taught in a regular school, my kid was already advanced beyond what they were teaching.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Cyndy. I agree with you, our biggest difference compared to other schools is, our students study and learn at their own pace. Not the pace of other students in their class. Both your son and daughter are doing great, please tell them to keep up their good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

The school system where we live in Egypt is not very good. I’ve seen the children here struggling. We were with Keystone online high school for a couple of years but it seemed like they didn’t care that much about the students. It was like a business and the work was just too much for my kids to handle. I found Whitmore, read the reviews, and tried it. I like it because it allows the student to keep working until he gets the best grade.

The enrollment process was simple and very easy. I like home school because it prepares you for college. It’s kinda like college. You’re on your own and makes you do your own research. My son did the Government class. My children had English and Algebra I. They did Web Design too. The teacher works with you and she doesn’t just leave you alone. But I noticed that the Math can be complicated sometimes. Also, my son was hoping for like a multiple-choice once in a while instead of just everything question-answer. With Whitmore, I felt like sometimes the teacher would accept an answer and sometimes she wouldn’t accept an answer. But I still think it’s better than Keystone.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Rita. Both your sons are doing quality work with us and their grades reflect it. I agree with you regarding the school being like college. The students need to take responsibility for their own education and when they do, we see success.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

My daughter expressed interest in doing online schooling. Whitmore was accredited and we looked at the people that had gone to that school and the different colleges that they had gotten into, so we chose it. The enrollment was pretty easy. We talked to the counselor several times to find out if it was a good fit my daughter. She is now on her second year there. She has English, Math, Environmental Science, History, and Algebra 1. She has told me several times that she has learned more with Whitmore than she ever did in the public school. She is very disciplined and very self-motivated to get her work done. But she's doing more online than she did in the public school. Whitmore offers really good quality of education.

I am overall very satisfied. And so is my husband because he was not really on board with trying this with our daughter because she's the youngest of three, and her older two brothers never expressed interest in doing online schooling. We also paid Whitmore extra to have the math tutor, and she really liked that. We really enjoy talking to the counselor. Everyone has been very helpful and we're very satisfied.

Hi Gina,
Thank you for your kind review. We are so pleased with your daughter's work ethic and it shows with her excellent grades. She is taking responsibility for her education which will serve her well in any challenge she takes on.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We use Whitmore School for my child. We do disaster relief work so we need to be able to leave at a moment’s notice and my son actually did the research. He wanted to try Whitmore so we let him and I have been satisfied with it so far. He's taking the curriculum and although there was one particular teacher that he felt was holding him back, that was the only thing. Other than that, everything went good.

Whitmore School response
Sonya, thank you for your 5 Start Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

We're in South Carolina and we moved from Ohio. Our schools are overcrowded here, and I feel that my children get one-on-one attention with SC Whitmore. During the enrollment process, they require proof of residency and a transcript from the previous school. This year, they're doing an i-Ready math and English, and we enrolled. The re-enrollment was a lot easier this year. My children have taken Algebra 2, geometry, biology, English and history. The school has met their needs.

Charlotte,
Thank you for your 5 star review, we are so pleased your son is doing well @Whitmore School.

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student-athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs