Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.65/5
Learn More

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

BOTTOM LINE

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

PROS
  • Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment
CONS
  • Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Top Whitmore School Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high school. It has a good design for the website. I hope I can have more fun here.

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for many schools, I'm so happy that I chose Whitmore School.

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My daughter came across Whitmore. She had some medical issues that made her have to withdraw from the brick and mortar school she was going to. We asked around and somebody suggested Connections Academy and we couldn't get in because it was the middle of the quarter. So we did another online school, Indiana Career Academy, and she passed everything. But she got pretty far behind. But that was when her health was at her worst. Then, after a while, she got better and tried a brick and mortar school. She knew she didn't want to go back to the Indiana Career Academy. She was doing online research on her own for a long time. There was another one we almost signed up for but then she ended up finding another site that really gave it bad reviews. She saw really good reviews for Whitmore.

When she signed up for it, it was nice. It was really easy to get ahold of somebody. But one thing that was a lot better with Whitmore than the last school is, with the last school, I was getting phone calls every single day. I was getting multiple emails. Part of that was because she was missing the online class because it was timed. One thing that's great about Whitmore is she can do it at her own pace. With her having chronic fatigue, she can't necessarily sign in for class at 8 a.m.

With math, she was going to get an A because she's going to learn the material because you resubmit until the material was correct. That was good. My daughter learned a lot in math. The only thing that has been a little bit hard was when she was doing assignment, and they would have a redo it, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong for a while. She wasn't able to get that explanation. But that might have been her being shy and not willing to ask. But with math, I do math for a living so a lot of times, I would just help her out. Whitmore has been really great. The level of communication is perfect. It's not taking me away from my full time job. She's able to do it on her own and she's very happy.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Jill! Your daughter is doing really well, I love seeing all A's!
Working at your own pace is so important, it gives everyone the chance to really master the material. Please tell her to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

We were having some issues with the local public school so we started looking at homeschool options even though I didn't really think that that was gonna be a good option for us. I then started researching some of the online private schools and looked at a lot of the information and the reviews that Whitmore School had. I went to the website and thought they would probably be a good fit for my son. There were a lot of online reviews for the school and I liked that there is a mastery program where he would be made to continue to do it until he gets it. My son enrolled last October. We sent in his transcripts and after they reviewed him, we talked to somebody about which classes he should take.

Last year, my son's biggest issue when he first started was getting some of the assignments to submit, especially the Math assignments that were really tricky. We called and somebody helped with IP issues. We spoke to him and he still couldn't get it so we kinda did a little conference call. It was me, my son, and them. We got everything resolved and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. I also talked to my son's counselor and we recently discussed some options for his classes for this year. She was very helpful and any interactions I had were great.

Whitmore is a much better fit for my son simply because sitting in class and listening to somebody talk is not really how he learns. He would tend to kinda zone out during class. Being online, he reads and he spends more time on the things that he doesn't understand as opposed to having somebody talk about the things that he already knows or are not an issue for him. It was an experience at first to try to have the discipline to actually sit and do the classes because the theory was, "I have a year, so I don't really need to do this right now." That was the hardest struggle for him. But we have it now and he's enjoying this. I haven't heard anything about him even wanting to go back to public school.

Also, I don't have any problem with the cost of the school. I don't think it's outrageous at all given what they get. My son gets a response if he asks a teacher a question or when he turns things in. There's always a response within 24 hours. He gets any help that he needs. We paid for the Math tutor last year which my son used a couple of times right at the beginning, but it was more trying to get technical questions answered. That really should've been the IT person. Otherwise, everything you get for your money.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your kind review Terri. We are so pleased your son is having success with our mastery learning system. When students can learn at their own pace they achieve a higher level of understanding and retention. Please tell him to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My daughter had other commitments that made the traditional school schedule not feasible any longer. So, we needed an online option that could work around her other commitments: to still have the ability to have an excellent education but have the flexibility in terms of the timing, time of day, deadlines on assignments, and teachers who work with them around their schedule. With Whitmore School, I liked that with mastery-based learning, the students are responsible for learning how to master the content with the guidance of the teacher and are able to use the platform to succeed.

The enrollment process was very easy for us. We looked at the school for a few months before we finally enrolled because she was still enrolled in a traditional school at that point. She finished out the school year, and we were initially intending to enroll a little bit later but the Whitmore enrollments had increased substantially and we didn't want to get locked out. So, we enrolled her a week or two after she finished her prior school year.

The process was very straightforward. We were able to register for an online open house. She was able to get any questions answered and see a general overview of what the student desk looks like, how different forms of communication are handled, and some sample course work that was available to look at online. She could review a syllabus or a sample demo lesson to give her an overview and see if she was comfortable with the platform. Then, we were able to complete the forms and they were very quick in processing everything and turning it around. This included looking at her prior transcript to get that transferred over and getting her started on her course work. Everyone was very responsive and made the process easy.

My daughter has been very pleased in terms of the teacher's accessibility and her ability to get questions answered or clarification on certain things. In the beginning, there was a slight learning curve with getting used to the mastery-based structure. She now understands how to manage that work back and forth, and how to ask questions of the teachers. It’s been good! They've been very quick to get back to her, either within the time frame she was told or earlier. We are very pleased with the education that she is receiving at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your great review Stacey. I appreciate all your kind words about our admissions department as well as our teachers. Everyone is very dedicated to our students success, it is our primary goal.
    Your daughter is doing very good work with us and her grades reflect it. She is also dedicated to her studies, she is submitting work every day of the week! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 10, 2020

My son wanted to do online schooling. Whitmore's program seemed to be the one that he gravitated to most with the way that the subjects were taught and the mastery aspect of it. It seemed to be more suited to him and his learning style. They worked with me to figure out a monthly payment plan, which was really wonderful since I'm a single mom. Their staff were always so helpful and got back to us right away. If my son had a question, he would type it in and get a response very quickly. According to the reviews of other schools that we compared it to when we were looking for the school, seems like other online schools are not as proactive and on top of things. There were a lot of complaints with other schools in most areas, like slow response time and not being very helpful for individual students.

My son was a senior so we only had 4.5 credits to go. He took Business English and anatomy. He did two electives based on his natural interest and talents, which are music that he had focused on the previous three years of high school. He was happy to be able to continue with a passion of his and get credit for it. Those two classes were called creative arts and performing arts. He was able to fulfill his 4.5 credits that he needed to graduate as a senior.

He is actually considering going to college to become a physician's assistant because of the anatomy class he took. It really sparked an interest in him with learning about the body and the different systems of the body. It had a lot of good information and it made him think and he realized he has an interest in it. If he hadn't taken that class, maybe he would've never realized that. His counselor, the principal, and his teachers were all extremely supportive. It couldn't have been a better learning experience for my son.

Hi Kimberly,
    So pleased to hear your son was inspired by our Anatomy Class. I passed along your review to our teachers and made sure his Anatomy teacher, Pam, saw it. It means so much to us when we hear positive feedback. Thank You!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 16, 2020

My son had been going to a private school for years. The cost of private school for high school here jumps about $10,000 a year on top of what we were already paying, plus my daughter is in college and so the cost for private high school was not feasible at that point. The public schools here were not even an option. They were beyond bad. So our options were online school or homeschooling of some other fashion.

I did a lot of research. There is a local to Texas online school, but it’s a public school, which I wasn’t crazy about because my kids have never been in public school, so I didn't know that the curriculum would match up with what they were used to. Also, we flat-out weren’t eligible for it because the kids should have been in public school to be eligible for the online public school option so that wasn’t an option for us. But Whitmore was the best ranked and the most highly recommended. They were also accredited and being accredited really meant a lot to us. The cost was not that steep. In fact, it costs less to go to Whitmore than to play one sport. This was a very reasonably priced option.

I talked to the counselor before we decided to join. I really liked her and she was very nice. She actually helped me and walked me through the enrollment process. I emailed the school, explained our situation, asked for some information, and talked to them quite a bit. Once we finally decided to enroll, it was super simple. It was just essentially follow a website, fill out some links, and give them my credit card number.

The adjustment period was a little rough. When my son first started there, it took a little bit of time for him to get into the groove of organizing and managing his time himself, so that was a little bit of a learning curve. It took him a little time to get the interface set up as well. But once we got all of that working, he jumped right into it and really loved it.

My son has some learning differences. He’s dyslexic and he has dyspraxia so he worked with tutors for years to fix all of that. He reads fine now and on grade-level, but very slowly. Being able to work at his own pace was hugely beneficial for him so that he could spend as much time as he wanted with the subject matter and think it through and work at the hours that suited him and not have to be working in a class for 45 minutes. Then by the time he'd finally get into it, he'd move on to the next thing so being able to focus on particular subjects in any given amount of time was really helpful to him. We really enjoyed our experience and we plan on him coming back in the fall.

Hi Kellie,
    So pleased to hear your Son has made the adjustment to online learning. He is doing very well and the Activity Calendar shows his dedication to his school work.
    It looks like he has completed the 6 credits for his enrollment year. He can re-enroll anytime he's ready to start school again, he does not have to wait to August if he is ready.
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: April 9, 2021

My son graduated from Whitmore School in 2019. All seemed well until he tried to apply to college here in Canada. The local authority for evaluating transcripts requires a transcript be sent directly from the school. I cannot seem to arrange in any way for Whitmore School to do this. In other words, a diploma from Whitmore School is useless in Canada--and you do not find out until too late. This may well be true for other countries as well.

Original review: March 30, 2021

My interactions were exceptionally good. They were straightforward. It's talking to a human being that understands English sentences and speaks English sentences back, polite and professional, and got from point A to point B. That's why we've stuck with Whitmore. It's extremely high quality for how much it costs, and that's ultimately it comes down to. Also, it's extremely flexible to what we need. I can hands-off and they run the thing, even though it's a homeschool, or I can get involved and make sure my son expands on the lessons if we need to.

One of the key things that Whitmore has that a lot of places don't have right now is humans that you interact with. So much, they try to automate everything to save money. And then, what the consumer actually wants is very difficult to get to when have to follow this automated process. It's a huge pain. Having human beings that you interact with and take responsibility is key. Whitmore should keep doing what they are doing. I've been recommending them like crazy to people. Because a lot of them are like, "Oh, this COVID thing, we're thinking about public school, and I know you've been doing that with your son for a while."

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Mark. I will pass along your kind words to our staff. Everyone tries very hard to give our parents and students the information they need to succeed with us. Also, thank you so much for referring your friends to Whitmore School, that is the biggest compliment you can give!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 26, 2021

The enrollment process was pretty good. The rep was really wonderful to talk to and she answered all my questions. Once we got going, the orientation was easy to follow. It was pretty clear. I like that it's one user account for both me and my son. So we both see the same thing. All interactions we have with the administrators, guidance counselor, and technical support at Whitmore are online. We have our desktop and there are links for me to talk to anybody I want to. When we first enrolled, we went over what his requirements are and what I wanted to enroll him in, and we talked about it. Anytime I send a message, I get an answer within 24 hours. Even on the weekends, they're responsive.

My son has completed physical science, English 9, US history, a PE class, and US government at Whitmore. He really likes that when he feels good, he can do it. When he's ready to do it, he can work on it. He doesn't have to be on camera. He does record himself for Spanish. He like the revision system a lot. He does his best the first time around. But if there's something he didn't understand, then the teacher can come back and say, “Okay, you got question 5, 7, and 9 wrong and here's why you got them wrong. Here's something to think about if you want to revise your answers and come up with the correct answer.” So they focus on mastery. This way, you're actually doing it and redoing it until you learn it. Also, they don't tell him the answers. He's got to go out there and figure it out himself. Overall, I'm pretty happy with Whitmore. It's a good education.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Pamela! Your son is off to a great start, straight A's in all his classes. He cares about his school work and it shows. Our Mastery Learning System lets the student work and learn at their own pace. We are so pleased it's helping your son achieve success.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 25, 2021

I love Whitmore. It's great. My child did a full year there and now, she's gonna be done this month for two more weeks. I would recommend it. Depending on if the student's self-sufficient, then it works.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Vilma!! Your daughter is doing great and yes, she is very close to finishing. Hope to see you both at Whitmore School Graduation in June!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 10, 2021

I was a little resistant for my son to go to online school. But then when the whole Coronavirus thing happened and after doing some research on finding Whitmore, I'm extremely surprised as to how good the school is, how much support he receives, how good he's doing. Because then he doesn't have to put up with the bullying or the nonsense that the other kids face. I've just had the best experience with them. They're constantly sending me reports about him. They're very supportive and really helpful. I'm really happy. I'm going to keep him there. He is doing really well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your great review Rose! We are so happy you are pleased with our Online High School. Your son is doing very well, he is dedicated to submitting work every day. He will be very successful at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School Company Information