Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.76/5
Get Pricing

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

We were having some issues with the local public school so we started looking at homeschool options even though I didn't really think that that was gonna be a good option for us. I then started researching some of the online private schools and looked at a lot of the information and the reviews that Whitmore School had. I went to the website and thought they would probably be a good fit for my son. There were a lot of online reviews for the school and I liked that there is a mastery program where he would be made to continue to do it until he gets it. My son enrolled last October. We sent in his transcripts and after they reviewed him, we talked to somebody about which classes he should take.

Last year, my son's biggest issue when he first started was getting some of the assignments to submit, especially the Math assignments that were really tricky. We called and somebody helped with IP issues. We spoke to him and he still couldn't get it so we kinda did a little conference call. It was me, my son, and them. We got everything resolved and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. I also talked to my son's counselor and we recently discussed some options for his classes for this year. She was very helpful and any interactions I had were great.

Whitmore is a much better fit for my son simply because sitting in class and listening to somebody talk is not really how he learns. He would tend to kinda zone out during class. Being online, he reads and he spends more time on the things that he doesn't understand as opposed to having somebody talk about the things that he already knows or are not an issue for him. It was an experience at first to try to have the discipline to actually sit and do the classes because the theory was, "I have a year, so I don't really need to do this right now." That was the hardest struggle for him. But we have it now and he's enjoying this. I haven't heard anything about him even wanting to go back to public school.

Also, I don't have any problem with the cost of the school. I don't think it's outrageous at all given what they get. My son gets a response if he asks a teacher a question or when he turns things in. There's always a response within 24 hours. He gets any help that he needs. We paid for the Math tutor last year which my son used a couple of times right at the beginning, but it was more trying to get technical questions answered. That really should've been the IT person. Otherwise, everything you get for your money.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your kind review Terri. We are so pleased your son is having success with our mastery learning system. When students can learn at their own pace they achieve a higher level of understanding and retention. Please tell him to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My daughter had other commitments that made the traditional school schedule not feasible any longer. So, we needed an online option that could work around her other commitments: to still have the ability to have an excellent education but have the flexibility in terms of the timing, time of day, deadlines on assignments, and teachers who work with them around their schedule. With Whitmore School, I liked that with mastery-based learning, the students are responsible for learning how to master the content with the guidance of the teacher and are able to use the platform to succeed.

The enrollment process was very easy for us. We looked at the school for a few months before we finally enrolled because she was still enrolled in a traditional school at that point. She finished out the school year, and we were initially intending to enroll a little bit later but the Whitmore enrollments had increased substantially and we didn't want to get locked out. So, we enrolled her a week or two after she finished her prior school year.

The process was very straightforward. We were able to register for an online open house. She was able to get any questions answered and see a general overview of what the student desk looks like, how different forms of communication are handled, and some sample course work that was available to look at online. She could review a syllabus or a sample demo lesson to give her an overview and see if she was comfortable with the platform. Then, we were able to complete the forms and they were very quick in processing everything and turning it around. This included looking at her prior transcript to get that transferred over and getting her started on her course work. Everyone was very responsive and made the process easy.

My daughter has been very pleased in terms of the teacher's accessibility and her ability to get questions answered or clarification on certain things. In the beginning, there was a slight learning curve with getting used to the mastery-based structure. She now understands how to manage that work back and forth, and how to ask questions of the teachers. It’s been good! They've been very quick to get back to her, either within the time frame she was told or earlier. We are very pleased with the education that she is receiving at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your great review Stacey. I appreciate all your kind words about our admissions department as well as our teachers. Everyone is very dedicated to our students success, it is our primary goal.
    Your daughter is doing very good work with us and her grades reflect it. She is also dedicated to her studies, she is submitting work every day of the week! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 16, 2020

My son had been going to a private school for years. The cost of private school for high school here jumps about $10,000 a year on top of what we were already paying, plus my daughter is in college and so the cost for private high school was not feasible at that point. The public schools here were not even an option. They were beyond bad. So our options were online school or homeschooling of some other fashion.

I did a lot of research. There is a local to Texas online school, but it’s a public school, which I wasn’t crazy about because my kids have never been in public school, so I didn't know that the curriculum would match up with what they were used to. Also, we flat-out weren’t eligible for it because the kids should have been in public school to be eligible for the online public school option so that wasn’t an option for us. But Whitmore was the best ranked and the most highly recommended. They were also accredited and being accredited really meant a lot to us. The cost was not that steep. In fact, it costs less to go to Whitmore than to play one sport. This was a very reasonably priced option.

I talked to the counselor before we decided to join. I really liked her and she was very nice. She actually helped me and walked me through the enrollment process. I emailed the school, explained our situation, asked for some information, and talked to them quite a bit. Once we finally decided to enroll, it was super simple. It was just essentially follow a website, fill out some links, and give them my credit card number.

The adjustment period was a little rough. When my son first started there, it took a little bit of time for him to get into the groove of organizing and managing his time himself, so that was a little bit of a learning curve. It took him a little time to get the interface set up as well. But once we got all of that working, he jumped right into it and really loved it.

My son has some learning differences. He’s dyslexic and he has dyspraxia so he worked with tutors for years to fix all of that. He reads fine now and on grade-level, but very slowly. Being able to work at his own pace was hugely beneficial for him so that he could spend as much time as he wanted with the subject matter and think it through and work at the hours that suited him and not have to be working in a class for 45 minutes. Then by the time he'd finally get into it, he'd move on to the next thing so being able to focus on particular subjects in any given amount of time was really helpful to him. We really enjoyed our experience and we plan on him coming back in the fall.

Hi Kellie,
    So pleased to hear your Son has made the adjustment to online learning. He is doing very well and the Activity Calendar shows his dedication to his school work.
    It looks like he has completed the 6 credits for his enrollment year. He can re-enroll anytime he's ready to start school again, he does not have to wait to August if he is ready.
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 18, 2020

We shifted just for my son's senior year. He was unhappy and stressed out in public school. A lot of the pace of the courses were moving very quickly, so instead of learning, he would just enroll in a course and end up excited and then would end failing it within a month. So, the online gave him time to work at his own pace, to work towards mastery, and also give him time to pursue interest that he had that he wasn’t able to do in public school because he was always doing homework.

I did a bit of research and noticed Whitmore is accredited. And just in looking at reviews and ratings, there are some you’re not always sure about the reliability. And so, the feedback I got on Whitmore, I felt it was the most trustworthy. And then, I liked that it’s a rolling enrollment, that my son could just start. We initially just had him enroll in a single course, and then at the end of his junior year decided to go full-time. We just went online, enrolled him and paid the fee, and they got him set up. At first, it was just the chemistry course, and then when we went full-time, he was still continuing the chemistry and then they did two additional courses. The reps were always very pleasant and accommodating to whatever your individual needs were. My son really took his sweet, old time with the courses. But that was okay, and there was no stress of, “Well, you need to get it done by this date.” They were always very friendly.

My son's biggest learning experience resulted from having the stress and drudgery lifted and having the time where he could really pursue his own interest. This was more a lot of self-educating type stuff. So, I knew he was getting some of the academic fundamentals through the online courses but then he could really enhance it. That really helped to build for him a STEM identity because he really is interested in the sciences. If all he did was take science courses, he probably would not have developed that STEM identity. But it was being able to go out and listen to lectures and podcasts and follow series like Cosmos that really got him excited, and then not being held to a school schedule. We did some travelling and he was able to go to the lectures. It was like almost like a co-curricular benefit that he would not have had in the other setting.

The chemistry course benefited him to be able to go at his own pace and to work until he got everything right, because then that way, he wasn't moving on and he had errors and didn’t know what the errors were, and then he would go deeper into a hole. I have no background in chemistry, but it sometimes felt like we were just jumping into a session. So the development of the course curriculum started more basic and fundamental and building. Sometimes it felt like there was information that we didn’t have, and then we had to go outside and research at other sites. And then eventually, I hired a tutor to work with my son as well. It was a tutor who’s an instructor at Virginia Tech, which is close to where we live. Also, the different lessons felt a little cut-and-paste. I don’t know if Whitmore purchased some of their curriculum from other sites or if it was actually developed by the instructor of the class.

There’s a lot of writing in English, probably more than my son would’ve done in a typical English class in a high school, so that was good. I teach as well, but a critique I have across the board is a lot of times, we give students assignments and correct the assignments but we don’t do enough instruction, like how do you do this, how do you set up the writing and so forth. I know it’s a little more difficult in an online format, but in all of the sessions, there could’ve been more direct instruction of how to. I don’t know if Whitmore ever plans to upgrade its learning management system and maybe integrate more where you actually have the teachers doing short lectures themselves so it’s not just reading but that there are students who are actually listening.

Whitmore School response
    We are so pleased that Whitmore School was a good fit for your son. Yes, many students do well when the stress of deadlines is removed. Even though he "took his sweet old time" in the end, he graduated and earned all A's at Whitmore. This is quite an accomplishment considering he completed very challenging courses and even honors level courses!
    Thank you.

Ellen Ray

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We adopted our son at age 12 and we had a lot of things that we needed to work through as a family, but public school was pretty much taking over our lives. We needed time with our family, and he needed the additional support of me being here and for him to be just working at his own pace so we could also be doing things that we needed to do as a family to work through trauma issues. We got him enrolled with Whitmore based on the reviews, and being a teacher, I saw that their educational philosophy seemed like the best fit. It felt like a lot of our stress came from always preparing for a test instead of learning the material. And my son can prepare for a test, but he doesn't learn it. So, I wanted the focus to be on him actually learning and spending time with the lessons until he mastered the material.

My son has taken a lot of courses through Whitmore, like English 9, English 10, Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology as well as US Government. He's just starting Chemistry, and he has also taken some Career Studies. There were also electives, like Spanish 1, which he has completed. I appreciate that the personnel from Whitmore were there when I had a question or when Marcel has a question, but it's not like a you have to always be talking to them, it's only as needed. I have the information I need and I know how to connect to them if I need it but it's not an overwhelming always type of thing.

Being with Whitmore, I think my son walks away feeling like he can do it and that he feels successful. I also think that he's motivated because the ball is in his court and he has all the information and he can take the time to learn it, or he can learn in a few lessons, and he just slacked off and didn't do well, and then he has to go back and redo it. So, there's no point in doing that. And so, I feel like it's very doable and he can be successful but it takes him putting in the effort. And that has been a really good lesson for him.

Caroline,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing fine work at Whitmore School, his grades and dedication are evident.
    Both our children are adopted and you are so smart to focus on your family and actually learning the material. Both will insure his success!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

During the COVID-19 pandemic the institutions in my country gave zero cooperation regarding education. I had to find a good school and while in pursuit of an online school I found Whitmore School, so my parents and I decided to shift here and have loved every part of it since day one. The teachers, my Guidance Counselor and the courses are amazing. The curriculum is very specific but top-notch. There are no time bounds or anything that would stop you from getting your specified goal while at this amazing school. Honestly, I am really amazed to see such dedication and the cooperation that Whitmore School gives.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your thoughtful review Joshua! We are so pleased with your dedication and success at Whitmore School. You are an amazing student that has a very promising future. All the best,

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Our daughter, Sophie, is a dancer. She's in the pre-professional program in her school that she was in. Even though it had a dance program, it would not support her in leaving early to go to another studio. So, since she loves dancing so much, we took her out of school and we checked several online courses, and Whitmore seemed to be the best one for her. The enrollment process was easy. They have an excellent program and my daughter's getting a lot out of it. They also have a reasonable price for the whole year for the quality of education that my daughter's getting.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jacob! Your daughter is doing amazing work at Whitmore. She has achieved two years of straight A's. My only complaint is we don't get to see her dance, maybe someday.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I chose Whitmore for my son's schooling. We spoke with their counselor and they helped walk us through the process of enrollment. The reps I've spoken to have always been pleasant and helpful. Currently, my son has been taking required Math, English, Science, Labs, Electives, and writing courses. The quality of education has been better than what I expected and he is really thriving with his work. He loves it as it's flexible to fit his hours and he can go at his own pace.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Christopher! So glad your son is has found a good balance of school work and his outside interests. For many of our students, it's about the balance.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

We did online schooling because my son wasn't interested in the program that he was in regular school. He was struggling with engaging and stuff. Also, we knew he wasn't going to college, so he didn't need all the college requirements that the state wanted him to have. We just wanted him to get a GED. Whitmore was the best option. I read a lot of reviews that said that they were a good option. Everything about them is really easy and great to work with. They're great in communicating and explaining things.

Any problems I had, I called them directly and they answered right away. We had to work out my son's plan because most of his grades transferred over and what he needed to do. He had classes that transferred over and he had six credits that he still had to do in certain areas and then a couple of electives. They kinda mapped it out for me. There were a couple of courses that were standard ones, like history and stuff, and there were a couple that he got to pick. They had to keep on doing it until they got a certain grade. That teaches them how to use it in everyday life.

My son graduated from it and he liked it because he could do it at his own pace. He's trying to start his own company. He does filming and stuff like that. It gave him the opportunity to be able to do both. I like Whitmore, too. They do two programs, the regular to get your standard diploma and a program if you're interested in going to a four-year college. They give you the two pathways, which I really like because if my son didn't really fit in at school, he'd still be able to do the pathway. He could go still get into college. It would be great.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Theresa. So great that your son graduated from Whitmore School! He should be very proud of his diploma. As he knows, he had to master every lesson to move on, a real accomplishment.
    Hope he has good luck in his new company.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

We are enjoying the program from Whitmore School. My son is taking Algebra, U.S. history, and Spanish. He’s gotten used to the pattern and interacting with the teachers, especially this year. There has been a great improvement. The teachers and the counselor are very responsive. The enrollment process was very clear and simple. The quality is very good for the cost, especially in comparison to some of the other programs that we've seen and used. We like the mastery format as well.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sean! Your son is very dedicated to his school work.

Whitmore School author review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team