Call toll free
4.92/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

100 Whitmore School Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 10, 2019

Enrolling in online schooling for our child was the good option for our family. We like the flexibility of the high school course of Whitmore Schools and doing it at our own pace. Before we enrolled our child, I called and talked to someone in the office who was super helpful. She was an alumna from there and she gave me the reassurance that I needed. Then I worked with the guidance counselor to get our child's records reviewed. The enrollment process was very easy.

As far as instructors, our child hasn’t had any negative interactions. Every once in a blue moon, a teacher asked for something that they didn’t clarify to start with. But there's way less frustration than with teachers in traditional schools, so I’m very satisfied. I like the way that our child is held responsible for every assignment. They don’t just take an assignment that he didn’t put his full effort in doing and give him a low grade. They make him redo it, so there’s no point in not putting an effort the first time because he knows that he’s gonna have to redo it. We see a lot of that in traditional schools where the children say either that they don’t have to do an assignment or that they're just gonna do enough to get by. So, I love that they make our child accountable in that way. Every once in a while, he would complain about a teacher and I would say that his teacher didn’t like it in a traditional school a lot more than him, and he would say that I'm right. That was just a normal teenager complaining about a teacher and not any issues. We’ve been very happy with Whitmore.

Dear Crystal,

Thank you for your 5 Star review. I can see from you son's activity calendar that he is very dedicated to his studies. Please tell him to keep up his good work, it will pay off!

Steve Ray

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Our daughter, who is autistic, was experiencing some bullying in the public school system. This is what led us to look for a homeschool option. We knew that we needed to homeschool her. Both me and my husband work and did not know how we would find time to homeschool her. We looked at numerous options before we found Whitmore School. I did some research and realized this was the perfect fit for our daughter and for us. They are affordable and accredited. Whitmore is organized and the computer system that they use is efficient and is always working. We have experienced no issues.

After enrolling her, she has thrived in academics and is learning life skills that she would not have learned in a brick and mortar school/public school. She is now a senior and is about to graduate. She loves Whitmore and wishes we had found out about Whitmore when she first enrolled in school. Their teachers and administrative staff are all very supportive and helpful. She has met with the principal for coffee to discuss concerns and her progress. Going this extra mile to travel and meet with students is a plus! We also paid the additional fee for a support coach which has really helped our daughter's oversight and kept her on track. We really recommend this service and Whitmore School all together. Thank you Whitmore School for all you've done for our daughter!

Dear Sherrie,
Thank you for your kind review. Your daughter is doing great work at Whitmore School! We are looking forward to her Graduation. Daisy says Hi!

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We were looking for a better alternative for our children that better met their needs and Whitmore School had the approach that we liked where it was a lot more one-on-one type interaction and consistent interaction. It wasn’t just supplying the materials, then you’re on your own. There is the opportunity for feedback from the teachers and it is mastery-based instead of grade-based, so it really helps the students learn the material before they move on. The enrollment process at Whitmore went smoothly and the personnel we interacted with was very professional. Our two children have taken English, History, Geography, Computers, and Environmental Sciences, as well as working on Biology, through Whitmore.

The only thing negative is that a lot of information is assumed outside of the lesson itself, so the students have to go out and do all sorts of research. It can get very complicated if you have a 15-year old trying to make sure they know what direction to go to try and find the right information out there. Also, when the questions are posed at the end of each lesson, on a regular basis, we have found that our child has answered the questions. But, the teacher will come back with additional questions beyond the boundaries of the lessons or of the questions they originally passed, and it is not a passing grade until they answered those as well.

So, it takes a lot more time for the back and forth on things that if they were essential, they should have been included as part of the original lesson and questions. Some of the back and forth takes too much time. How long it takes to complete all the lessons and complete a course is extended beyond what is necessary to cover the material, so I think it could be made a bit more efficient.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Derek. Both your children are doing very well at Whitmore School.
I appreciate your feedback on teacher interaction with lessons. We are constantly looking at how to improve our students experiences at Whitmore.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I attend online school myself. But we were having trouble finding a good fit for my daughter here locally. I saw a lot of good reviews and positive feedback about Whitmore School and enrolling with them was very easy. They just asked for usual transcripts from previous education, and then enrolled her in class. The price is also fair. The interactions that we had with the reps were great. We even had an issue once and they were very positive about resolving it. My daughter is taking a couple years of high school, so she is taking General English, Math, History and Psychology classes with Whitmore. She really enjoys the flexibility.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your kind review Jason. I know you and your daughter have had some challenges this past year. We are so pleased that Whitmore School is a good fit for your daughter.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had a great experience with Whitmore School. Quite honestly I can't imagine how it could have went any better. The teachers were fantastic. They were thorough and dedicated. The lessons were well laid out and navigating the site and curriculum is a snap. They have set the bar so high with their program, anything else would be a letdown. I would most certainly recommend Whitmore to anyone thinking about this type of educational experience.

Whitmore School response
Thank you Charles and congratulations on earning your High School Diploma!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Whitmore had good reviews and it was not terribly expensive. In addition, the enrollment process wasn't difficult. It was all online and we didn't have to send in any documents. The school personnel then called to let us know that my two kids were enrolled. They took us through what to expect and everything was through email after that. While I had a call from them a couple of times, my interactions were always positive.

So far, the quality of education offered is good. I like the fact that it's based on my kids' mastery of the subject versus just getting a flat grade, and not having a chance to go back and fix their mistakes or understand where they went wrong. They have to master the lesson before they can move on. It might take them a few trials, but they'll eventually get it. It's better for them as far as learning and knowing that it's not all or nothing. Although they do a good job, there's not as much pressure and they learn better that way. The experience has been very good and we'll keep using Whitmore.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your great review Elena. Both your daughters are doing excellent work. Please tell them how pleased we are with their success!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My daughter needed to enroll in online schooling because she is working and could not go to a traditional school. Whitmore is accredited and recognized as a viable substitute for traditional school. We chose them as we wanted to make sure that it would be something that would translate into a positive application for college. Their enrollment process is very easy. They take care of analyzing your transcripts and let you know exactly what remains and what you need to do. My daughter has taken English, chemistry, environmental science, Algebra 2, geometry, and more core classes.

Everyone at Whitmore is very pleasant too. My daughter thinks that her teachers are really great. She enjoys them. Also, the quality of education Whitmore offers is absolutely worth the cost. The curriculum is more rigorous because they don’t have regular tests, so they’re very detailed with their lessons. They also make sure that the child is grasping the contents, which is why my daughter is testing so well in her SATs and her ACTs. If you're considering enrolling your child in Whitmore, make sure you have a very self-motivated child.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the review Jennifer. Your daughter is doing quality work with us. I can see that she is dedicated by looking how often she submits her lessons.
You are absolutely correct when saying the student needs to be self motivated. Sometimes that's the hardest thing for students to achieve.
When my daughter attended Whitmore she developed self motivation when she realized she could do the work and get good grades. Her confidence level increased and so did her motivation.
Please tell your daughter she is doing great!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

It has been my experience in the last 30 years that the brick and mortar public schools are not education-based, and that they don’t really teach children how to go out into the world and teach themselves anything new. But with Whitmore they had the basic classes that my kids need to be able to function in the world. They have enough extra classes so that if my children choose to go to college, they will be prepared for that. They have a large student base, and they’ve been around for a very long time. And many of the other online schools, whether they’d be public or private, seem to be lacking in some of those areas.

The enrollment at Whitmore is also extremely easy and non-invasive. Their personnel is well-informed and polite. I’ve been very pleased with the cost and quality of everything except for the math tutor. Also, my daughter Faith doesn’t like her government teacher and she hopes there are more foreign language classes. Also my kids don’t have smartphones and in order to make their classes fully functioning, they have to have a smartphone. Nevertheless, I recommend them.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Monica. We appreciate the feedback and will strive to improve.

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We knew we were going to travel quite a bit and eventually immigrate to a new country, so we decided to enroll our son in an online high school. We chose Whitmore because they were fully accredited, convenient, flexible, affordable, no textbooks required, and they encourage mastery learning. The process to enroll was straightforward and efficient, and you can begin the program within a few days. My son has been attending Whitmore for about 5 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He actually wants to learn now, which is a HUGE plus in my book. My son knows he will be given the time he needs to master what he is learning, which gives him the confidence to fully absorb the material, stay consistent and on track.

If you get a bad grade in a traditional school, you are not given a chance to figure out what you did wrong. They move forward whether you learn the material or not. A "D" in a traditional school is considered a passing grade, so you can literally go through an entire course and not learn anything at all. That is not a quality education and will not prepare your child for the real world. Another plus about Whitmore is that my son no longer fears test taking, because he knows that if he doesn't do well, he'll be given a chance to figure out what he did wrong and correct it. Thus, he's actually fully learning the material before moving on. I wish all schools encouraged this learning style.

Since beginning the Whitmore program, my son has been fully motivated and self-disciplined in his studies. I never have to remind him to do his work, because he no longer has the anxiety and fears about learning that he did in public school. My son also loves that he can easily message his teachers whenever he needs help, and they are really good about responding promptly. Overall, learning should be a positive experience, not riddled with fear and anxiety. Fostering a love of learning through mastery is, in my opinion, the best way to educate. Thanks, Whitmore. :)

Robin,
Thank you for such a wonderful review and 5 star rating! We share your belief that learning should be a positive experience. As you know, Mastery Learning allows your son to move through his courses at his own pace. Spending more time with the difficult subjects.
Please tell him to keep up the solid work and making all of us proud of him.

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The enrollment with Whitmore School was pretty simple. There was an online form that we filled out and then we waited for our daughter's transcripts to flow over to the school. The reps were very helpful and very professional. They gave me a lot of information and got us in the right direction. Our daughter has taken History, Business English, English, a couple of elective classes, and a test prep class and it's going well. It has been a great experience so far.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Dustin. Your daughter is doing good quality work and is very dedicated to her studies. Her submission calendar is impressive. Please tell her to keep up her enthusiasm!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My daughter wants to go to public high school. I already homeschooled her but she needed to do an accredited online school in order for her to be able to transition in. I got to understand Whitmore School's website and they gave me a callback right away. I like their cost too. It was easy to enroll since my daughter doesn't have anything to transfer in. We filled out a form online and then we started. Now that she’s been doing it for months and months, I like everything about Whitmore. Even our interactions with their personnel have all been positive. We have a positive experience with Whitmore and my daughter is doing well.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Alecia. I checked your daughters Activity Calendar, it shows the days she is doing school work, and it shows her dedication to her courses. Great Job!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Online schooling has a more personal and direct approach. It is self-paced, has advancement opportunities and no drama. When I saw Whitmore online, I went to their website and downloaded a number of the testimonials which were nothing less than 5.0 out of a possible 5. They were also describing circumstances where when a student travels or has to have a very special schedule. Their enrollment process was painless and I make regular payments on the first of every month. It's affordable. I am surprised though that more parents within my local school system are not taking full advantage of this. In my daughter’s case, the local public schools are fine but they do not offer individual attention. They progress at the rate of the slowest child in the room which I find unacceptable.

So far, Whitmore has been outstanding. My daughter is carrying four subjects right now. We are ahead of the curve and I would like to see additional subjects. Also, Whitmore could accelerate the program and be more proactive so it would keep my daughter better occupied. She comes out of her classroom every day telling her daddy that she is bored. I appreciate though the weekly reports and the links for inquiries to ask additional questions about how the progression is going and how the grading system is performed. They keep the parents fully engaged in the loop. I print the reports and give it to my daughter then we sit down and discuss. Then, when she is near the completion of a project such as Spanish, she anticipates the next challenge.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Steven. Your daughter is doing great work with us, please tell her to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My daughter is a musician and she can't do conventional school but she needed to graduate. She needed a good program and she did all the research. We looked at the top schools and after speaking with them and looking at reviews, she was most impressed with Whitmore. It was easy to enroll and she’s now doing her first semester courses with them. Those include English, math and history, and in terms of cost and quality of education, Whitmore seems good.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your daughter is doing great work with us. Hope you and your family have a Happy Holiday.

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My son suffers from a medical illness that causes him to miss school. So after getting sick this year, his counselor recommended that we finish online so it wouldn’t mess up his senior year. We chose Whitmore since its curriculum seems to be in line with what I was looking for, in addition to the flexibility. It was super easy to get enrolled and everyone that I’ve dealt with has been very responsive. But their technology is a little lacking in the way that we as parents have to communicate. I've only had one issue though. There was a technical issue that they weren’t able to explain and they were kind of blaming my son. But in the end, he had not done anything. Still, that’s probably the only bad experience I’ve had and everything else has been great.

My son is taking English, history, Spanish and one of their required courses and the overall learning experience is good. But he had been in private school for so long that although Whitmore's curriculum is challenging, sometimes I feel like he’s not challenged enough so he loses focus. He gets bored because he knows he can do it all at one time. But for the most part, it's been really good.

Whitmore School response

Wadette, thank you for your review. It looks like you have had good conversations with your Guidance Counselor. Progress is being make. Thank you, Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We were not happy with how the public school system was working for our son and we were looking for an alternative. Whitmore School was accredited with the needs of the state and met the needs of the state accreditation and the enrollment was really easy. There was a phone number that we called and we were able to talk to a representative that put us with a counselor. Then, the counselor talked to us about our child, where we should place him, and which program would work for him.

Our son learned to self-pace because that was one of our main concerns was the challenging effect of public school. When he had questions to his teacher, he could communicate directly with her through emails and the response time was pretty quick. If there were other issues, we could also call the school and get in touch with the counselor right away. And we as parents got a weekly update of how he was doing and his pacing throughout his courses. Although sometimes my son would learn really quick but he won't seem to retain the information as quickly. So, sometimes I wonder if repetitive work that forces him to just finish at his own pace, but like you have to keep doing things.

Other than that, it was good because, in some areas, he would work really fast on a subject and ignore another subject. So, then there was a point where even the teacher said, "You could slow down on this part and take your time. There's no rush to get through the classes as fast as you can." So, it's really a developed pace to kinda encourage a child to work and also encourage the child to learn and not just rush through it. Also, the cost was adequate and reasonable. As far as the quality, it was great. I would tell others to definitely look into it. Online schooling is definitely one that has to fit your child. It's not for everyone. But it's definitely an option and it works for our son.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Phuong. Your son is doing very good work with us. Please tell him to keep up the solid effort.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My daughter is a singer-songwriter and is pursuing music. The traditional pattern of Monday through Friday from 7:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon wasn't allowing her to do what she needed to do. So, she needed a more flexible program that was at her pace, but still challenging enough because she's a smart girl. We had the benefit of another friend being able to do Whitmore School and that friend had a good experience. Eventually, we chose Whitmore as well since they were very reasonably priced at the time when we first started. Since then however, they have increased their price.

Whitmore School is self-paced and students have up to a year to finish the class. For our daughter, their curriculum was challenging enough after we saw what it was. It was college level. My daughter was an honor student before, so we needed to maintain that same level. The enrollment process was easy. We had to get the transcripts from the school, send them over to the Whitmore people, and they did all the necessary stuff to make sure we weren't gonna be falling to any type of short-listing situations in transferring.

My daughter took about all the classes required for graduation but there were a few electives that she didn't take. Math and Foreign Language can be very challenging for a student. That could use a little more modification and we talked to the people at Whitmore about that. My daughter had already accelerated and taken Foreign Language in earlier years, like in middle school, to get high school credits. And so, she only had to do half a semester. And I said to the staff at Whitmore, "The only thing is your foreign language. How do you know you're enunciating it correctly using the right inflection?" They said that they had hired a new person who started to do video stuff into their curriculum. So, they're very open. They also apologized that my daughter already went through it.

Our experience with Whitmore has been great. I heard other parents talk about what they do for the K-12 programs and Whitmore is better. Whitmore actually puts more of the burden on the student to grow up and be responsible than letting the parents intervene for the child, which I like because we need to prepare our child. I recommend Whitmore for kids that need the non-traditional approach for dedicated students that are doing something else. If the kids are studying gymnastics or training to be in the Olympics, this is a good program for those students.

Dear Melissa,
Thank you for your wonderful review. Your daughter is a very special student, with talents that are truely impressive. And you are correct, one of her strongest achievements with us is that she has taken responsibility for her own education. She is a fine young adult and you should be very proud!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I called several different online school programs and Whitmore’s customer service got back to me quickly and made it easy for me to register. The enrollment process took about a half of a day just to email back and forth in registration, and my son was ready to go. He was able to do it in his own pace and over the summer.

A college guidance counselor helped him think through the different courses and his different interests. The work ethics course was the most impressionable high school course that he had taken during his high school career. It was only a half of the semester, but it really got him thinking about work ethics and what kind of employee he wanted to be, what kind of people he would like to work with, and he even improved his work environment during his part-time job experience. That one truly made an impact on his life. The quality of education was very good and we had a wonderful experience. We would highly recommend this school and we’re actually looking at it for my son’s younger brother as well.

Heather,
Thank you for your wonderful review. So glad your son enjoyed the Work Ethics course. Ellen teaches that course and loves helping students think about their work environment and how they can succeed.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My daughter is having the most positive experience with Whitmore School this fall. She is a sophomore and has always been a public school, brick and mortar student through 9th grade, but it just hasn't been working for her. The learning method at Whitmore is mastery based and is an amazing way to learn. She does an assignment and is able to do revisions until she really has mastered the topic at hand. She feels as though she is actually learning instead of just putting information on paper to hand in for a grade (the public school way) and if the grade is bad, the class just keeps on going. The other great thing about Whitmore is their teachers. They respond to assignments in the timeframe that Whitmore says. They care. They are encouraging. They are supportive and motivational, and these are my daughter's words. Yes, you can have this kind of relationship with teachers in an online setting.

Whitmore School response
Michelle, what a great review. We are all pleased with your daughters success. Mastery Learning changed my daughter's life as well. Everyone learns at their own pace, what matters is that they learn!
Thank you!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My daughter used to go to a Montessori school so going to Whitmore is a better transition than going into a regular high school. With an online school, there is more flexibility for extracurricular activities. At Whitmore, the program is all online and you have to read it all. It would take a little bit of getting used to but it's definitely working out. And compared to other online options, Whitmore was year-round. It also had a lot more flexibility and better options. Enrolling was also very quick and easy. It was all done online. I just filled out the application and paid. The cost is very fair because my child is definitely getting more one-on-one attention. She has been in Whitmore for a year now and she's done English, American Government, Algebra and Earth Science, among others. And it's been a good experience overall.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Kate. So glad your daughter is settling in with Whitmore School. Please tell her to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The members of the school administration are highly effective and responsible people. Honestly, I do not have a single complaint because they always treated me with respect and attention. The platform is designed with a good structure, a structure totally easy to understand for both students and parents. The teachers care that students understand the lessons. In my case, my teachers answered all of my questions with complete information, and they never expressed any dissatisfaction regarding my multiple questions. Actually, it was the quite opposite, they always encouraged me to ask any questions I had in mind.

Personally, I liked the lessons within the classes, but my favorite parts were the assignments as they helped me apply everything I had learned. Also, the dynamics of the assignments vary, so the assignments never bored me. The best thing about the Whitmore School is that they are open to receive recommendations in order for them to help the students in the best way. As an international student, whose native language is not English, Whitmore School was a challenge but a gratifying challenge. I would definitely recommend this school, in fact, I recommend it whenever I can.

Whitmore School response
Thank you Jose for such a nice review. Please keep in touch, we would love for you to share your successes!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Whitmore School is leaning towards students that are not in traditional high school for other means and being delinquent or flunking out. It wasn't GED-related. It was more for kids with other kinds of situations, but still academic performers. I enrolled my son and the process was very easy. He's taking the high school education and it has been a very good program. He's had an excellent learning experience. I've also had great interactions with the personnel and the cost is excellent for the quality of education. For us, Whitmore's program is perfect.

Kristin,
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased with your son's performance at Whitmore School and hope he has success in the future!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My grandson, Nathan, was not having a really positive experience in high school. We looked and talked to a couple of other schools and we felt that Whitmore School's philosophy and core curriculum were beneficial. They seemed to meet more of his needs for the future because his plan, whether he goes to a trade school or college, is to have a high school degree. We got a good orientation to what Whitmore was about and we got to explore the curriculum. Then we had to get a copy of his transcript. The people at Whitmore were very patient and they explained everything thoroughly. They were informative and pleasant and I had great interactions with them. I only have positive things to say about our experience with the whole enrollment process. And as far as the payment method, it worked very well.

Nathan is taking World Geography, Anatomy and Physiology, and English right now and he's a lot more motivated. He is now working on a paper for English, so he's solely focusing on his English classes to get that done. Whitmore gives him the flexibility to go back and forth to the curriculum, which he cannot do in the high school environment. And if he wants to get up at 6 o'clock in the morning to start freshly in the summer lecture, it affords him that opportunity. Nathan was truly anxious before but now he's open to ideas. I'm very satisfied with Whitmore School.

Hi Pamela,
Thank you for your great review! Nathan is doing very well, it looks like he is really taking responsibility for his education. So glad to hear he is getting more and more confident.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 28, 2018

My daughter does ballet and she has to do it every single day, seven days a week, with several hours of study. So, enrolling her in online schooling was a better fit. The enrollment process at Whitmore School was easy and the people there were nice.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the 5 star review Pavel!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 21, 2018

We were travelling internationally with our children so I needed a school that would be recognized when we return to the States and that the credits would be accepted for our daughter. I looked at a few different resources for online schooling and Whitmore came up as one of the schools that were on multiple sites. And then my daughter and I looked at the curriculum to see if it would honor what she had done as a freshman in her California school and what she was interested in. We also needed a school where everything can be done electronically. We wanted an online program where textbooks won't be needed and tests won't have to be mailed to us or proctored. So we've been very happy with Whitmore.

The enrollment process was very easy and my daughter is now taking sophomore year of high school. And being the student, she has more interaction with the Whitmore school personnel. But when I have a question for one of the counselors, I usually get a response within 24 hours via email. My daughter had a bit of a struggle trying to manage her time in the beginning, but she got into the groove. She has really enjoyed the program and she has done really well with it.

Whitmore is one of the more expensive online curriculums available but it met our needs. My daughter is at camp right now and so she sent us a letter. And I’ve noticed how her writing has really improved over the span of a year. She improved in her English class and it wasn’t just ticking boxes and going forward but she gained some knowledge. She had a substitute teacher for English that caused her some stress coming up against a timeline and who also gave her some extra assignments. And she really wished that she had her main instructor for the last three weeks of that class.

Jeni,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear your daughter is getting comfortable with our online learning system. Her grades sure show it! Please tell her we think she is doing great work.
I will pass along your teacher feedback. Thank you,

Steve Ray

Original review: July 20, 2018

Our daughter had health problems so we chose to enroll her in online schooling and went with Whitmore School due to the recommendations and the flexibility on finishing up at a certain time. The cost seems reasonable especially compared to some of the other ones we looked at. We did the enrollment online and it was very quick and simple. Also, the personnel have been very courteous and helpful. They gave us guidelines and discussed it with us. Our daughter is in freshman year and she's taking Algebra, History, and Spanish. And her experience has been good so far.

Becky,
Thank you for your review. So glad Whitmore School is a good fit for your daughter.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 14, 2018

When we enrolled our son at Whitmore School, the process was straightforward. We contacted somebody there and had to go to our school and get some paperwork and send it along. I have read the reviews that we could find online about Whitmore and they seem to have challenging courses. Right now, my son is completing eleventh grade, so he has general studies and then a few electives. So far, he finds it difficult to be self-starting. Since there's not a lot of interaction, teachers or classrooms where you get to collaborate, you have to just go and find everything yourself.

On the other hand, we find that he retains information much better. In the past, after he comes home from school and asked how it went, he would just say fine. Now, he comes home and tells us all the stuff he had learned. Meanwhile, our interactions with the personnel have been on an as-needed basis. My son reaches out when he has an issue, and they'll reach out if they feel he's falling behind. But other than that, they're self-sustained. And with the cost of around a couple thousand dollars, it is affordable for most people. In fact, it's cheaper than a private school. Overall, we've been satisfied and happy with Whitmore.

Dylan,
Thank you for your great review. I know it is difficult for some students to be a self starter. My daughter graduated from Whitmore School and it took some time to develop good study habits. When she did she became an excellent student because she took responsibility for her education. That helped her tremendously in college and her career. Please tell your son keep up the good work, he is doing great!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 13, 2018

My boy was headed into the ninth grade and he wanted to go to college. The school that he was in wanted him to take something called Jump Start or Head Start, which meant they were sending him to vocation school. I thought he was too young to do something like that. That was why we decided on online school. He has been behind anyway and not getting any schools. And we thought that we could provide some extra assistance ourselves this year. There were other options and one was free for the state but it was the same thing we were getting. He may need someone else other than the teachers at school and so we went with Whitmore School.

The enrollment process was very easy. We enrolled and told them what grade he was in. We also spoke with several people. They were all very interested. I can call anytime and they answer the phone. Right now, my boy is in a stress management class. He is also taking Algebra and English. He struggled with English and his English teacher is excellent and very patient. She is very specific about what she wants for him. She gives him no room for air and she gets kudos.

However, I can’t speak to the teachers directly. Whitmore encourages my boy to speak one-on-one with his teacher and tell her about his issue and speak with a counselor. It has been a good thing though. So, I have to go through his counselor who is very prompt and has solved every issue that we’ve had. She never failed to answer the actual phone. I can also email her and call her from 9 to 5. Whitmore School is the perfect school if you want to achieve college. Their cost was around 1,200 and we got way more than what we paid for.

Whitmore School response
Brenda, Thank you for your wonderful review. Your son is doing very well, I can see he has been diligent with his school work. When a student puts the effort in, their grades reflect it! Great Job!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 3, 2018

My daughter wanted to be a professional ballet dancer, which requires about 30 to 40 hours of ballet a week, and so we needed a flexible time, which she had with Whitmore School. I did some research online and I looked at positive reviews for online schools. Based on my experience with Whitmore in general and talking to them about it in comparing to other schools, they were very reasonable in their cost. I've had excellent interactions with Whitmore's personnel. They were very responsive, very informative and I’m a huge advocate of it.

I don’t think Whitmore offers dual enrollment, which is something we offer in Georgia. It allows students who are smart in going through high school to actually dual enroll and get some of their core curricula out of their way for college. And those classes would actually substitute for their high school courses. They have to take a test, but they essentially become their high school course and they get college credit for it. So, it serves both purposes.

Other than that, from a learning aspect, my daughter is very smart and she seems really challenged with the courses at Whitmore. They have honors courses that she could take, and that was one of the reasons we chose her program. They don’t offer AT courses and it could be an issue for others. Nevertheless, path that my daughter wanted wasn’t really something necessary for us and she seems to be successful.

Hi Chrissy,
Thank you for a great review! So glad to hear your daughter is doing well in ballet, online school allows students to pursue their dreams!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 2, 2018

So that I can watch over Nathaniel more, I decided to enroll him in online schooling. I was about to enroll him in a different school and a pop-up ad for Whitmore came up. I decided to check them out and I liked them. They look like doing an actual education and not just busy work. We didn't know what to expect, but their people were pleasant and not intrusive. Nathaniel is taking classes that you'd expect for college prep, ninth grader and the curriculum is harder than his regular school would be. It's not free but I think the education program is better and we're satisfied so far.

Leslie,
Thank you for your kind review. Nathaniel is doing very well, I can see his effort has improved over the past three months. Please tell him to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 6, 2018

My son has attended several brick and mortar schools and also attended a public virtual school. Whitmore is, hands down, the best school for his needs we have ever come across. My son is dyslexic and on the high functioning end of the spectrum and is also extremely intelligent. This makes public school difficult, loud noises distract and frustrate him and as with any dyslexic, writing takes longer than average. The model that Whitmore offers is perfect for him. Focusing on three subjects at a time allows for mastery in subjects instead of struggling to keep things organized. His favorite subject this year was Conceptual Physics. It uses science fiction and current physics concepts to teach students theoretical physics. Each teacher reviews and gives fantastic feedback all through the lessons so he had concrete improvements throughout. I cannot imagine a better school for my son!

Dear Lori,
Thank you for your great review. We are all pleased with your sons success at Whitmore. I will make sure I share this review with all of his teachers!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an accrediting organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs