4.63/5
  • 1 star
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 4, 2017

53 Whitmore School Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We are living out of the country, so my daughter decided to enroll in online schooling. She was with James Madison at first but transferred to Whitmore because she wasn't satisfied with the previous program she was doing. She didn't feel challenged enough. She chose Whitmore based on the rigorousness of the academic experience that you can get online and it worked out well for her. She was learning more. Whitmore's staff has also been friendly whenever I talked to them and were knowledgeable. The experience has been good overall.

Shane,

Thank you for your kind review.

Steve Ray

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Regular school was not something my daughter Laura was technically very well with. She wasn't interested in any courses and extra-curricular activities there. Her grades weren't as well as they should be and she wanted to advance quickly. She wanted to turn and would not graduate until this coming Spring, but she wanted to go ahead and try and get her two years in one year so she can go ahead and graduate. I looked through all online schooling options and kept looking with it online, and read all of the reviews. When I got to Whitmore School, I looked at their curriculum and how they did their schooling. Laura's not ever been really great at testing and it always messed her up. But she saw good things out of Whitmore really bad and walked away to say that they worked it when they didn't do the testing. They had their scores that they wrote a 9 out of 10, and she could do her work over if she needed to.

Once turned in, it wasn't set in stone. If her score wasn't what she was happy with or didn't meet what they need to, she could redo it and I liked that fact. I called Whitmore on the phone and I printed out a sheet and got Laura’s transcripts from her school here, and the school mailed it to Whitmore. I talked with Whitmore on the phone and we got her enrolled. We did most of the paperwork over the phone and any forms that I needed, I got offline. I only had to talk with the personnel a few times but every time I did, I was able to get them on the phone right away and they were able to take care whatever questions I had immediately. Laura took Honors Junior English and then, she took regular Senior English. She took a computer course. She had Economics and History that was a test course that she had to take, plus four more.

She did very well. Laura's always been big in computers and doing the learning experience on her own so she was very good with it. She interacted back and forth with the teachers, and I was able to go in and see everything that she did, all of her courses that she was working on, what she'd done, and the interaction between her and the teachers. And there were a few times that I even emailed the guidance counselors through her stuff. She noted to see what courses she needed to graduate. I looked around and Whitmore’s cost was comparable, maybe even cheaper than some of the ones that I found. It wasn’t outrageous and we got the one year. We had six credits that we can do in a year so we got the one price for all of them. It was fair.

It's a very positive experience, and I would definitely recommend them. It depends on the type of person. I told Laura that, I myself at her age, I couldn’t have had the discipline to be at home and go through all that. I knew with her being in high school that I don't have a call discretion and would not be able to homeschool her. And this school, she had the teachers right there. There wasn't anything I had to teach her. She interacted back and forth with the teachers and I was able to monitor it. And I also liked that fact. It was something where the teachers are there and she's got access to them and she can email back and forth when she has questions and stuff, which she did quite a bit with them. Our experience with them was very good and very satisfying.

Whitmore School response
Janice, thank you for your wonderful review. Laura had great success with us, you should be very proud of her! You are right, not every student has the discipline to be self motivated. We have found that once they accept the responsibility of their education, success so follows. We are all proud of Laura and wish her continued achievements!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I enrolled my son in online schooling because I didn’t want him to be in the environment of a public school. With high school, it’s so hard. I did some research about Whitmore School and asked a friend whose kids also went there. I heard good news about Whitmore so I decided to enroll my son. Everything with the enrollment process was easy. They have very good staff so all the time if I call, they answer the phone right away. They’re very nice, answer all my questions and help me through everything. I enrolled my daughter there, too. My son graduated and my daughter’s in 11th grade now. My son took Chemistry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, English 10, 11 and 12, and pretest. And my daughter took Spanish, World History, Algebra 1 and Geometry. Now she’s in Algebra 2, English 10 and Biology. If my daughter has any question, she sends an email to her teacher and they answer the next day.

I can afford to pay for my kids to go at Whitmore. The cost is reasonable for me and I pay some more money for tutoring in subjects. I need to have more tutor because my kids were in the public school before and they are not independent students. Sometimes they need someone to help and teach them especially in Math. My friend’s kids did so well on their own because they started online school when they were younger. However, my kids did not because my daughter was in public school until she reached 7th grade and my son until 10th grade.

Hasna,
Thank you for your great review. Please tell your daughter she is doing fantastic work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We started with Whitmore in August and it's been an amazing experience. I did some research on online schools for my son who wasn't doing particularly well in the traditional brick and mortar. Academically, he was fine. So I wanted something that he could manage on his own. Whitmore School showed up on several of the searches for the top 10 online schools that I looked for. Their enrollment process was very easy as well. My son was able to start on the day I got him enrolled. We weren't able to get transcripts to show the grade level of my son right away but Whitmore had a conversation with my son to find out where he was at. They were able to figure out his level and put him in a few classes until the transcripts showed up. He now takes college prep courses and he's exceeding expectations. He's getting a solid A through everything.

Initially, when we started the online process, I was able to call and get a hold of one of the educators that was talking me through the process. I appreciated the transparency that they gave me on how my child is doing. I get a weekly report telling me what my son has done and how he's performing and any suggestions that they have for him to be successful. I also appreciated that the educators are all highly educated. I feel like my son is getting a good education, based on what I see. My son reads the lesson and if he has a question, he communicates with his professor and his professor would get back to him and give him some more guidance. Then my son submits what’s needed to be submitted and if there's a revision, his professor would ask him to work on it again. They go back and forth and have communication. It's helping my son’s written communication skills and prepping him for college.

Whitmore School response
Susan, Thank you for your great review. You are right, your son is doing very high quality work with us. It is rewarding to watch a student take responsibility for his education and achieve success! Please tell him to keep up his good work.

Steve

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My son is a student-athlete at a hockey program in New Hampshire and we live in New York. We only have limited options for the State of New York so, after looking, Whitmore was one of the ones that the academy he goes to recommended. I went online and signed him up. He got contacted by a guidance counselor and we provided them his old transcript and they decided on what classes he needed to take. The personnel has also been very helpful during the resolution of some trouble with the NCAA eligibility.

However, the cost is hard for me and it's probably not steep for what he's getting, but it's steep to add that to already having to pay school taxes. New York does not offer online free but other states do. It's about 50/50 down the middle. I would have had to give my guardianship of my child to someone else in order for him to do something different. I could have done it with a family member because my family member lives in another free state, but it was just a lot to do.

I would recommend Whitmore, but it needs to be partnered with a program that is working with the students because there was some very lightweight supervision at his academy. The guidance counselors and the teachers are in contact with him but if I was doing it and I had him at home, I would be supervising him and pushing him to get the time management that he needs to do online schooling. He's not getting that where he is. Also, the only thing that I've ever had my son tell me is every once in a while he had a teacher that was a little slow on the turnaround time. Because of some deadlines, I called the school and said, “You need to tell the teacher that she needs to be on that,” and that was fixed.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Gretchen. We met your son in New Hampshire, he is a fine young man. Please tell him he should be very proud of his quality of work with us. He has achieved great success and needs to keep striving to be his best.

Steve

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I got married young and was not able to finish high school, and wound up getting divorced young as well. I never really felt comfortable with the fact that I did not finish college, especially now my daughter started to get older. Enrolling in an online schooling was really for my self. When I talked to the people at Whitmore School, they were friendlier and seemed more willing to work with me trying to get records together that were older because I needed to have a longer history and a lot of it. It seemed more like you weren’t buying a diploma and you would have to earn it when you’re doing it for yourself. What’s the point of doing it if you’re just buying it? I could have bought one a long time ago.

I didn’t have any problems with the enrollment process. I got my school records together so that they would know how to place me. I interacted with the Whitmore School personnel online and was always positive whenever they gave me feedback, even if they’re trying to teach you or expound on an idea. I talked with them about what kind of track I was wanting to take. They let me know which classes were necessary because I work full time and I wanted to do one or two classes at a time. You just submit your assignments and if they feel that you need to do any more work, they’ll email you back and you submit to them again. My college studies were very science-focused so it has filled in those holes for me that I was missing and gave me a broader education, which was what I was looking for and what I felt like I was missing. I would recommend them.

Lisa,
Thank you for a five star review! You are a perfect example of "if you can dream it, you can do it". Your work is perfect, straight A's! We are all very proud of your accomplishments.

Steve

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My daughter had a rough couple of years and left her public school. She went to another school and stayed there for about a month and a half, but it was just not working for her. So Whitmore School seemed like the best option for her at the time. We had looked at another school, and due to the schedule, she made the switch right at the last minute. Whitmore had fixed classes per year that had to get done, but at your own pace, whether it was fast or slow. That appealed to her instead of having set classes per semester.

The enrollment was pretty easy and the price was fair. We contacted the counselors and they faxed some transcripts over. She took an English, a History, and a Science course. Plus, she did community service. She struggled with her initiative but the feedback she got from her teachers was good. Plus, she's found the course material adequate, not too easy and not too hard.

If there was a gap between turning in assignments, the counselor lets us know. In addition, we could always see her progress so we could keep track of where she was. She's 17 and I work during the day. This wasn't supplemental like homeschooling. This was hands off and more her thing than mine, so it was good that they kept in contact with me. Plus, the weekly digest was good. In addition, they actually called a couple of times instead of just emailing. I'm satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Tina!

Steve

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Alex, my son plays hockey in the states and was in Canada. The coach of the team suggested Whitmore School. The enrollment process was fine. My son is still not finished so he's still enrolled. Now they told me that they're not NCAA accredited anymore so it's upsetting. He can't go to NCAA school and they didn’t tell me that he is ineligible because he had taken too long to complete his courses. I thought that he was done on that. The cost and quality of education are both mediocre as well.

Karen,
Thank you for your review. We are all very upset with the NCAA decision to cancel their relationship with us. We have been NCAA approved since 2010 and never had a complain or incident with them. We fought the decision from May to September this year, providing them with proof of student accomplishments and scores. All in all we gave them over 1500 pages of documentation and hours of attention. We are not sure the NCAA fully understands our self paced system that empowers students to take responsibility for their education.
We are glad to see your son is getting close to Graduation!

Steve

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My son was not traditionally schooled. He wanted to take high school classes but wanted to make sure that his classes were accredited. We decided to go with an online school and Whitmore School was NCAA rated and approved. The enrollment process was simple. I called up the administrator, filled out an application and talked to the principal because my son was younger and not really of high school age yet. And he submitted a writing sample.

A lot of the interaction between Collin and his teachers was just online. He's got a little box that he can communicate with them. My son has taken English 9, Science, Algebra, Economics, History, American Government, Personal Fitness and Safety. He also took Work Ethics and the Community Service class which was just logging hours in and some core and electives classes. We absolutely love Whitmore School. It’s very affordable and has good value. It's still small but we get personal attention. My son has been successful in his classes and his teachers were supportive and encouraging. I wouldn’t want to change it for anything.

Stephanie,
Thank you for your wonderful review. I also want to thank you for being a great parent Blogger! If another parent wants to read one of Stephanie's best Blogs please click the link below.

Steve. Learning to Let Go - How I Stopped Being a Helicopter Mom http://www.whitmoreschool.org/blog/learning-let-go-stopped-helicopter-mom/

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My son is an athlete and he needed to have the high school structure and the freedom to do his school whenever he could. We looked at every school that we could find and then we eliminated the ones that were too expensive or didn’t have the type of learning that my son was interested in. When we got to Whitmore, he looked at the curriculum and he felt that it would be something that he would be interested in so we chose them. He's in his second year how and their enrollment has been easy. Whitmore is very interested in my son as a student, and in his life that tied his goals and how it affects his learning.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your kind review. We all are very pleased with your son's success!

Steve

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Whitmore School is a great online program for kids. My daughter ballets and she has more flexibility in her schooling. Their enrollment process was easy and I’m happy with the cost and quality of the education they offer. The counselor was great and the administrators I talked to were very nice and helpful. They're doing a great job and we’re happy. My daughter is doing well and she will be taking two more classes this year. But they should incorporate Advanced Placement courses and Foreign Language in the curriculum. My daughter has to have two years of Foreign Language and she had to go to another online school for it. Other than that, I would recommend Whitmore School to someone.

Kara,
Thank you for your review and feedback on additional courses. Currently we have Spanish 1 and Spanish 2. We are looking at adding Spanish 3 in the near future. What other languages would like to see offered?
Although we do not offer Advanced Placement courses, we do have many students enrolled in their local colleges earning duel enrollment credits.

Steve

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The academy my son was going to was partnered with Whitmore and he was reclassifying for basketball, so we used the tools of BridgeGap to make sure he was NCAA certified. Whitmore sent me an email of what they provided and they met the requirements for NCAA Division I certification. They were endorsed by NCAA, so I signed up. My son was provided with the transcripts from the high school he was unenrolling from and things started within two weeks. The counselors were A+ and we have had great interaction, tried to be a bridge gap for communication as much as possible. The quick return on phone calls was very helpful. That part of the experience was well worth it and the rep took care of them, so she was very helpful. However, the teachers were an F-. An event happened which most children aren’t self-starters per se, so they need more instruction, interaction and question and answer back and forth.

There were quite a few days that would go by where my son would email the teacher and he wouldn't hear back for a day or two. Fortunately, he wasn't up against time. He only had to take one class from them and it was English, so he had six months to finish one course, but if anybody else was up against a timeline and wanted to finish the high school diploma to go into the military, get a job or do anything else, then it would have been lengthier for them. The students can't talk to a teacher and they have to go through a counselor. The instruction was very vague and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Whitmore is overpriced, but I understand. I pay for convenience, so it's in line with everything else. I ended up paying $2500 for the class and I felt like it was out of bounds for that.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My daughter is a competitive surfer and travels a lot and so we needed a school with the flexibility. I looked into a lot of different programs and I didn’t see a lot of feedback on Whitmore, but I didn’t see any negative feedback as well. A lot of the other online programs, I had seen some negative reviews. I liked that they offered some honors courses and I wish that they offered more. She’s an honor student and I worry about her getting a little bit behind with some of the other things that she could have taken in public school. Also, it wasn’t a program where they still had to be present every day or get to work on a specific schedule and we needed that flexibility.

The enrollment process was easy. All of our interactions with them have been over email and they’ve been incredibly responsive, very fast, thorough, and helpful. My daughter has already completed World Geography, Social Studies and she’s taking honors English and currently Geometry, P.E., and Spanish. It’s been really good. Although, Spanish is really hard. Foreign language is hard to learn online, especially because there needs to be more phonetics introduced in terms of the lessons. The teachers are very helpful to her and they grade her work very quickly. They give her feedback and opportunities to correct things.

Laura,
Thank you for your review! Your daughter is doing fantastic work in all her subjects. Also, thank you for your feedback on adding more honors courses and the challenges with online foreign languages. We are working right now on improving both. We welcome your input, if you would like, please call our Principal, Ellen Ray, she loves to hear from our parents.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My son Ryan was having trouble in high school so he decided to try online schooling. He had a couple of friends do it and they seemed to do well with it. We read all about the online schooling options and chose Whitmore School. We filled and sent out forms for enrollment and then transcripts too. In the beginning, we had no idea how to do any of the stuff, so the lady at the Whitmore office taught us how to work the program. They explained it very well so it wasn’t hard to figure out. And now Ryan’s doing good. He's taken two English courses, a work ethics and one on coping with stress. The program is easy enough for the kids to follow. It could be challenging when the kids get stuff sent back to them but the staff help them and explain why they got the answer wrong, it's a good program. And it’s cost-effective. Whitmore School is really good.

Whitmore School response
Becky, thank you for your kind review. Ryan is doing great, solid progress and fantastic grades. Please tell him to keep working hard!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My daughter had a disease and she missed courses in high school. She cannot catch up so she has to be transferred, and I chose to enroll her in online schooling. I went with Whitemore since I found that it's the biggest online school when I did a research. I compared several online high schools and asked some of my friends and found that Whitmore is good. There are still some courses she needed to take and she will complete that.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review. Your daughter is making good progress!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We've been homeschooling since my son was in first grade. We pulled him out of first grade because he's dyslexic and dysgraphic and his teachers couldn't help him. Also, my youngest daughter has mastered the preschool program. She had been twiddling her thumbs and had done enough work that she was doing in kindergarten work, and we decided she needed to get challenged. We ended up homeschooling and we've been so ever since. We were in Corpus Christi and when we moved to Houston, we changed how we had done schooling. We had originally been doing it on our own but we had so many changes. My husband changed his job and traveled a lot more so we decided it was best if our children went online.

We wanted to make sure our son was in an online accredited program so we chose Whitmore School. It was a quick enrollment. I called them and had a number of questions that I asked them regarding the home training. They were able to answer everything for us and we provided them with the requirements they needed. Unfortunately, my daughter, who just started high school this year couldn't go to Whitmore because she has to have a NCAA-certified program and Whitmore lost its certification this year so we couldn't enroll her.

It was important for us, who have a dyslexic son, that his teachers could make sure that he was actually mastering the program not just going through the system. As parents, we get the notices from the counselors on a weekly basis. It's usually telling us whether my son is on track or if he needs to fix something. He's done most of the communication with the teachers. They made it very clear that this program is for him and he needed to do the work so we sat back and watched them do that with him. We usually email them and they get back to us anytime we have a question. It's mainly been on email but we've had a few phone conversations because of the situation like with our daughter. My son has done Community Service, Algebra I, World History, Science, and P.E. He's a swimmer, too. The education in Whitmore has been pretty good. I wish they had more electives.

Whitmore School response

Ester, thank you for your review. We do appreciate the feed back as well. I am so sorry about the NCAA situation, we worked very hard to keep that program, but it came down to the NCAA not understanding our school.

Your son is doing very well, please tell him to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I chose online schooling for my daughter to keep her out of mainstream public school. The enrollment process at Whitmore is fairly simple and absolutely easy. You just apply online and pay the tuition. She took all the normal high school classes, English, Math and History. I really like Whitmore School because they're very personal and attentive to her. The personnel was always there to help and everyone’s very nice as well. It’s been a wonderful experience and she’s learning very much. I’m grateful to them and I would recommend Whitmore to anyone who’s looking for an online high school.

Dear Sonji,
Thank you for your kind review. Please tell your daughter to keep up the fantastic work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My kids had some problems in regular school and since we move a lot, it was easier to keep them in one school like an online school. My older child has now finished and in the university already, but when we were looking for a school for him, there weren't many options like now. Whitmore School was one of the few options and we liked it more than several others. We just wanted him to complete general education requirements and get ready to enroll in college. The enrollment was easy, we didn’t have to go around collecting documents and I felt really positive about the cost, considering the quality of education they provide. Overall, It’s a good school and I like it. Both the parents and the kids like the experience.

Whitmore School response
Thank you Nadiya, your son is doing great work with us!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My son needed a more flexible option so he requested to enroll in online schooling. He had one year left in his senior year of high school and he completed that at Whitmore. They had accreditation, good reviews and their price was reasonable. During the enrollment process, I got his transcript from Lassiter, sent it to Whitmore and filled out the application for enrollment. The personnel I dealt with was personable, friendly, courteous and responsive. Cost and quality-wise, it was good. They worked with me and I like that they they gave him a two-week extension on his English course. It was a positive experience.

Barbara,
Thank you for your review. We very pleased with you son's success with us (straight A's). Please tell him congratulations with his Graduation from Whitmore School!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My son gets easily distracted, he needs to work at his own pace and I felt like he’s bored. He wanted to move faster than what the traditional classroom setting could offer. Our daughter used Whitmore when it was CompuHigh a while back and we were pleased with the results. We also had a good friend who told us that they highly recommended it. So, we decided to enroll our son too.

Their personnel has always been responsive and they helped us out anytime we had a question like when they did not transfer or give him all the credits that he was supposed to have gotten from where he came from. So, we explained that to Whitmore and they actually contacted Katy High School and got that taken care of for us. We sat down and discussed as a family and enrolled Connor together. Their guy actually did most of the work himself and we found their enrollment process to be very easy and understandable. We think the quality of education from Whitmore is great and the cost is good too. The only thing that I think we would change is the fact that my son has to be finished by the end of September otherwise, we have to pay every month after because a new school year starts. We would rather have it paid monthly but we also can stop at any time when he graduates. So, that was the only downfall that we had. Overall, they’ve been great.

Dear Lisa,
Thank you so much for writing this great review. Looks like your son is doing very well. We hope he has a great year with us.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

My son wanted to get into online school. After research and reading reviews, we thought Whitmore was a good school. Also, one of my friends who has three of her children there had a good review about Whitmore. We called them for the enrollment process and they have a guidance counselor who we worked with. When we had a question or we can't decide which subject or course my son needed, we contacted him and he helped us. We did another online school before Whitmore, but Whitmore is very quick to respond and all the teachers are friendly. The learning experience that my son had at Whitmore is good because they provided a good course. He started 10th grade and finished the two years there.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the great review. Glad to hear we respond quickly to your questions, I will pass this along to our staff.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I enrolled my son in online schooling because of flexibility and we chose Whitmore School for the same reason. My son has already taken a few classes and he enjoys them all. He thinks they're challenging but doable and the teachers provide very good and prompt feedback. My interaction with their personnel has been positive, both on the phone and online. The cost and the quality are also fantastic. I highly recommend the school.

Thank you Annabel!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We enrolled our grandson in an online school because of health issues and they weren’t being addressed in the public school system. We were with Liberty before and we switched because the curriculum is better suited to my grandson at Whitmore. The enrollment process was very simple and took about 20 minutes. He’s been in Whitmore for a couple of months. My grandson is 17 and he’s a senior. He's currently enrolled in English, Government and Computer Programming. So far, the overall learning experience for him is very good. The school's cost and quality of education are very reasonable. My grandson is learning and enjoying the process. He likes the interaction he is getting between his work and his professors. Overall, Whitmore is easy to deal with and they're helpful to the students.

Dear Pat,
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased with your grandson's progress. Please tell him to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I home schooled and my son was getting to high school age and wanted to be able to have something a little more than what I could give. I did a lot of research and I know a lot of people who have done different things. I ultimately decided Whitmore was the best one for us and it was very easy to enroll. We got online and there's an assigned counselor who recommended some classes that we start with and we went from there. My son has taken math, English, stress management, and P.E. and he likes the learning experience a lot. The amount of work is good and manageable, but they're pushing him as well. There's a good balance.

Compared to a lot of online schools, the cost is great and really affordable. They let you do payments, and that's been nice. I've had kids go through public school and the quality of education Whitmore offers has been good. One of the main reasons we chose them too is because of their method. When the students submit an assignment and they don't do well on it or when they miss stuff, they can go back, figure it out and redo the assignment until they get a better grade and it's been good for him to be able to do that. All in all, Whitmore has been fabulous and it takes the stress out of the equation.

Kresta,
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you mentioned our teaching method of Mastery Learning. It does make a big difference when a student can take their time and revise the lesson until they fully understand it. Once they start to achieve excellence their confidence goes up and their self esteem as well.
Please tell your son to keep up the excellent work!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 26, 2017

My son's an elite hockey player and was missing too much school with traveling sports. I Googled up and Whitmore was in the top 10 of good online schools and was accepted by most colleges. The enrollment process was pretty simple. Kathleen, the counselor, got my son's courses set up based on what he had completed at our local high school and carried the same courses on so it went pretty clean. My son thinks it’s a good education and he's learning everything he should be. He has all the same classes that he had at his old school. He knows a lot of the lessons that the school had planned. And that’s one of the reasons why we picked Whitmore over other schools. It’s a cheaper option but still well-rated.

We might be having a change come up very soon though. My son's going to be moving to Detroit and living with another family. In Detroit, they have a thing called TPH hockey school and they have their own online school. There’s a lot of elite hockey players there and a lot of the kids on the team that goes to this school. I’m going to be talking to the director if it’s possible we stay with Whitmore but go to a school if they allow that because theirs is an online school too. My son may be going to Sioux Falls or to Erie, Pennsylvania or Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and then he wouldn’t be at TPH anymore. So it might make sense to try to go to their school just to have a place to go to with other kids learning online but stay with Whitmore. We’ll think much about that in very near future.

There were times where my son’s at a division and it would be nice if they could have some quicker, more direct communication with teachers. My son goes to Stevenson High School and their AP classes almost expect him to do all the learning. He goes to school for eight hours and comes home with four to five hours of homework and he didn’t get anything done in those eight hours especially with 40 to 60 hours of hockey a week and our drive time. I wanted to see someone work a 100-hour work week. Overall, Whitmore takes a little longer to do things but everything’s fine.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the review Chris.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 21, 2017

My son is a senior at Whitmore School. He will be graduating around September 1st because he decided to take an extra class, just because he thought he needed it to be prepared for adult life. This educational mindset is in stark contrast to what my son's experience was in traditional school. For whatever reason, he always struggled in that setting, even though he is intelligent. As his parent, I became frustrated because I couldn't seem to find a "good fit" educationally for my son, even though I am an employee of my local public school district. When searching for possible private online school options, I found Whitmore School. I'm glad I did.

I've had only positive experiences with the Whitmore staff. In particular, Melissa, the admissions counselor, is always a pleasure to speak with. From that very first call I made to gather information four years ago to just recently, she has never failed to get my questions answered in a professional and friendly manner. The teachers have given my son the 1:1 learning assistance he needed due to his writing related learning disability and challenged him in math and science (his strongest subjects).

As far as constructive criticism, I have only one -- the lack of an online student community. (After speaking with staff about this matter a couple years ago, I understood the difficulty to be moderating such a forum). I still can't believe Whitmore School is able to deliver fully accredited, NCAA accepted high school classes and diploma programs for a fraction of the cost of a brick and mortar private school. Thank you, Whitmore School, for providing my son with a five-star education.

Cindi,
Thank you for such a kind review. We all try very hard to serve our parents and students and Melissa is a great example of that. I also want to thank you for all of your support and thoughts on how we can continue to improve. One of our primary goals is continual improvement. The best source for ideas is our parents, so thank you for your insight.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 5, 2017

My daughter's high school counselor helped us do the enrollment process online and it wasn't hard. She's in a full-time school but needed an extra credit to graduate early. The lady that we worked with in Whitmore was very helpful. It was a good deal and worked out really well. My daughter took Probability and Statistics and she made an A in that course. She said the teachers were fine and didn't have any issues with them.

But the classes needed to move a little faster because my daughter had a graduation date to meet. I had an interaction with the administrator about that. We just had an instructor that will take a little longer than normal to get back with us on certain assignments. The issue was that we had been going over and over the same material and we needed to move on. The grade was an eight out of ten and my daughter was willing to take that. The administrator was business-like in dealing with that issue and they rectified that for us.

Overall it was a very good experience but I wouldn't put my kids at Whitmore full-time because my daughter couldn't do it by herself and I had to have tutors. Not unless the parents can stay home and just deal with that all the time with their child. If you're a homeschool mom, it's cool. But if not, your kids would need a lot of help. Nevertheless, Whitmore has a good program and it served our purpose for a one-time cause.

Thank you Molly!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 3, 2017

My son enrolled in online schooling because he was trying to graduate early from high school, which he did. He had a list of online schools that were accepted and brought by his school. Whitmore is definitely accredited and when my son saw it, he was interested in it and we got it approved through his high school. With the other schools that we had looked at, you have to go through so many numbers and go through a lot to speak to a person. And you normally speak to the computer more than a person.

With Whitmore School, I called one number and got directly to a person. And anytime I had any questions or if I needed something, I call that number and they were right there. Every time I called, I always got a live person. And if the person that answered the phone didn’t have the answer for me, they got someone who has the answer. So I never left a conversation without having my question unanswered, which I really appreciated. And everybody that I spoke to on the phone was always extremely courteous. So it made the experience pleasurable and fantastic.

My son took Personal Finance class and then an English 12 class. He really liked it. And of he had to do the work until he mastered it, which was different for him at first. He was in the public school and if a student didn’t get something right, then what they did wrong would be marked and they'd be given a percentage. In Whitmore School, you do it until you master it all, then you get credit for it, which is good. It took some getting used to, but he really learned quite a bit while taking that program.

The cost was reasonable for what my son received. And then being able to speak to someone personable on the phone versus having to go through the computer makes it reasonable. The people that I communicated with on the phone left a very good impression on me. I called quite a bit because I had so many questions and they were so patient with us. They had so many students to deal with, but they made me feel like I was the only person they had to tend to. I really appreciate their service and help. If given the opportunity to take another course, we would use Whitmore School again. And I definitely commend them for doing wonderful things and I will continue to recommend them to my friends.

Renay,
Thank you for such a nice review. We are all very pleased that your son was able to graduate early.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 20, 2017

I was always behind credits at high school, so I was given the opportunity to enroll in online schooling. Whitmore gave out a good program to our school and the price was fair. We heard good things about it. At first, it was hard for me to come up with the money so I had to work a lot. I told my counselor and we decided to put money away each time I needed to do a class. We enrolled using her office computer and I started from there. The staff and everybody else that work for Whitmore School are really wonderful. They’re all respectful, nice, amazing, and helpful. They’re doing a great job and always respond fast. I liked online schooling a lot and don't regret it. The career management program class they have has helped me with what I wanted to be in the future. The other class that I had, stress management, helped me a lot and made me learn about myself. I liked all the classes that I took and every assignment was helpful.

Tania,
Thank you for such a nice review. We are all pleased to see how well you are doing!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 19, 2017

My son was short half a credit and so he made it up doing the online schooling. Whitmore School was one of the choices that the high school gave us. I called to enroll and gave some information. It was last summer that we had enrolled him. My son took one history class and everything seemed to be okay. The instructor gave him a chance to correct things and re-submit all the assignments that he did and he ended up getting a good grade. Everything was perfect and easy.

Tamara,
Thank you for the five star review!

Whitmore School Company Information