Call toll free
4.83/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

119 Whitmore School Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 29, 2019

My son was a junior and he was interested in joining the Marine Corps. He was just getting bored with school and he thought it was a waste of time with the local public school. Mainly the problem in the past was that we would get reports that he’s not doing his homework. So then, we told him not to take it the wrong way and that we’re gonna ground him. He can't go out on a weekend unless he gets all his homework done. He would do it and he would make all A’s.

He was like bum-rushed. All his works he hadn’t done for weeks into a weekend or a couple of days, per weekend, and make an A. So we just felt like he was bored with school. We enrolled him in Whitmore and the reason we chose them was because it doesn’t seem to be fooling around unlike other online schools. Whitmore seems to look at it right and they were straight up about what they will make him do. They also arranged the classes where you just couldn’t just bum-rush it. Their classes were structured. I want the boy to have a good education. I didn’t want him just getting a diploma but I want him to learn something. Also, the enrollment process with Whitmore was easy. They talked to us, we went online, we filled the form out, and he was enrolled.

I’d also get a review once a week on his grades and his progress. That was as much as I needed. My son can’t get listed until he graduates, but he could take the ASVAB and the physical. So we needed certain letters from the school, nothing that wasn’t true. And the school has written back where he's at, the truth, and that’s what we took.

When he was enrolled, they said he has completed senior level classes. He is considered a senior in their school that allowed him to having a physical. And then when he graduated, we had to wait. It took four to six weeks for a diploma. It didn’t take that long, but that’s what they said, in two to three weeks. And then we told them he was really eager to get in the Marine Corps list and asked them if they can write a letter saying that he’s completed all his classes and will receive a diploma in the mail. They said, "Not a problem."

They worked with us when it came to the paperwork. It was never a challenge. In fact, when I told them he was joining the Marine Corps, they thanked him for the service and being all that. Also, when my son had a question about how he wanna work, within 24 hours, he’d always receive an email back saying, “Well, this is the way of doing this and this is why,” or “Yeah, go ahead and do that where I will allow it.” For any questions he had, he’d always get a quick response. My son also usually just gets up in the morning, run his four miles, come back and would lock himself in his room and do nothing but Whitmore all day. He’d come out for lunch then go back into his room. He really dedicated himself and he found it. I’d recommend Whitmore and say I’m satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
Jason, thank you for your review. You have a lot to be proud of regarding your son's accomplishments at Whitmore School. As you stated, we are not an easy school, we don't just pass out diplomas to the students. Our successful students take personal responsibility for their education. That means they not only have to do their studies, they have to motivate themselves to actually get out of bed and do the work.
Please tell him how proud we all are of his success and that we wish him the very best serving in the Marines!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We knew we were going to travel quite a bit and eventually immigrate to a new country, so we decided to enroll our son in an online high school. We chose Whitmore because they were fully accredited, convenient, flexible, affordable, no textbooks required, and they encourage mastery learning. The process to enroll was straightforward and efficient, and you can begin the program within a few days. My son has been attending Whitmore for about 5 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He actually wants to learn now, which is a HUGE plus in my book. My son knows he will be given the time he needs to master what he is learning, which gives him the confidence to fully absorb the material, stay consistent and on track.

If you get a bad grade in a traditional school, you are not given a chance to figure out what you did wrong. They move forward whether you learn the material or not. A "D" in a traditional school is considered a passing grade, so you can literally go through an entire course and not learn anything at all. That is not a quality education and will not prepare your child for the real world. Another plus about Whitmore is that my son no longer fears test taking, because he knows that if he doesn't do well, he'll be given a chance to figure out what he did wrong and correct it. Thus, he's actually fully learning the material before moving on. I wish all schools encouraged this learning style.

Since beginning the Whitmore program, my son has been fully motivated and self-disciplined in his studies. I never have to remind him to do his work, because he no longer has the anxiety and fears about learning that he did in public school. My son also loves that he can easily message his teachers whenever he needs help, and they are really good about responding promptly. Overall, learning should be a positive experience, not riddled with fear and anxiety. Fostering a love of learning through mastery is, in my opinion, the best way to educate. Thanks, Whitmore. :)

Robin,
Thank you for such a wonderful review and 5 star rating! We share your belief that learning should be a positive experience. As you know, Mastery Learning allows your son to move through his courses at his own pace. Spending more time with the difficult subjects.
Please tell him to keep up the solid work and making all of us proud of him.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My daughter is a singer-songwriter and is pursuing music. The traditional pattern of Monday through Friday from 7:00 to 3:00 in the afternoon wasn't allowing her to do what she needed to do. So, she needed a more flexible program that was at her pace, but still challenging enough because she's a smart girl. We had the benefit of another friend being able to do Whitmore School and that friend had a good experience. Eventually, we chose Whitmore as well since they were very reasonably priced at the time when we first started. Since then however, they have increased their price.

Whitmore School is self-paced and students have up to a year to finish the class. For our daughter, their curriculum was challenging enough after we saw what it was. It was college level. My daughter was an honor student before, so we needed to maintain that same level. The enrollment process was easy. We had to get the transcripts from the school, send them over to the Whitmore people, and they did all the necessary stuff to make sure we weren't gonna be falling to any type of short-listing situations in transferring.

My daughter took about all the classes required for graduation but there were a few electives that she didn't take. Math and Foreign Language can be very challenging for a student. That could use a little more modification and we talked to the people at Whitmore about that. My daughter had already accelerated and taken Foreign Language in earlier years, like in middle school, to get high school credits. And so, she only had to do half a semester. And I said to the staff at Whitmore, "The only thing is your foreign language. How do you know you're enunciating it correctly using the right inflection?" They said that they had hired a new person who started to do video stuff into their curriculum. So, they're very open. They also apologized that my daughter already went through it.

Our experience with Whitmore has been great. I heard other parents talk about what they do for the K-12 programs and Whitmore is better. Whitmore actually puts more of the burden on the student to grow up and be responsible than letting the parents intervene for the child, which I like because we need to prepare our child. I recommend Whitmore for kids that need the non-traditional approach for dedicated students that are doing something else. If the kids are studying gymnastics or training to be in the Olympics, this is a good program for those students.

Dear Melissa,
Thank you for your wonderful review. Your daughter is a very special student, with talents that are truely impressive. And you are correct, one of her strongest achievements with us is that she has taken responsibility for her own education. She is a fine young adult and you should be very proud!!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a child who had a medical issue and I thought that it would be better for her to be homeschooled. Considering the online reviews, we went with Whitmore. They were the only school at that time who didn’t have any negative reviews or had only a few compared to the other schools. But when I enrolled my daughter, it took too long for them to set up the classes. I had just called them to switch her to another school, and then finally, the classes were posted. That process took them about three weeks.

Ten months into the program, my daughter had schoolwork that Whitmore sent back like two or three times. At first, I was annoyed and was like, they should just grade the work. Then I thought about it and at least they are making sure she understands the work. But part of the problem I’m having now is that she couldn’t go on. She hasn’t finished it yet because she can’t go on to the next thing until they’ve graded the previous one. When I talked to them on the phone, they said they can go on with the program as fast as they want. But my daughter hasn’t been able to do that because she’s waiting for stuff to be graded.

I was told that she can finish it under a month, or as fast as she wants, but it’s against the law supposedly to finish it within 30 days. That’s okay because I knew she wasn’t gonna go fast. She’s a little bit lazier than my other kids. But then, when she has submitted stuff fast, they say she can’t submit that. I was also told that she could do two assignments a day in each class, which hasn’t been the case. And a lot of times, we’re still waiting for stuff to be graded. Her last three assignments for her English class took two months to be finally graded. And then, they were saying that she needed to review this and that. Now, because of all of this, she only has over a month to finish her last three classes, which the Math was really hard. They sent her questions for the first assignment, and it took forever for them to get back to her on that. I’ve had to call the school a couple of times because I want to see the grades already.

My daughter wants to go back to public school in August because of all of this. But I don’t think she’s gonna be finished with this so I can't get her transcript. And then, we just got back from a vacation and we’re going to another vacation in two weeks and it’s hard for them to do schoolwork when they’re at the beach. I have another child that’s gonna be homeschooled next year, but I’m not using Whitmore. I’m not happy with them. It's not one of the cheapest ones, but I was looking at what I was getting. When I’m paying $1,800 a year for a school, I expect a lot better than what I got because public school is free. They probably need more staff. I was not impressed with it at all.

The schoolwork they give is good quality, but I shouldn’t have to call the school all the time. And then I get people on the phone that don’t know what I was talking about. They would go, “Well, let me look here.” And then I have to correct them. I shouldn’t have to do that. They should be professional. People on the phone should be able to look in that file. These people that work there are probably a lot younger than me, so they should be able to maneuver around this program fast and get to where I am talking about.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We were not living in the US and I wanted my son to have a US education. I liked the format of Whitmore School. It was self-paced and he didn’t have to set times where he had to be in class. The enrollment was fairly simple and it didn’t seem much different with enrolling in a non-US school that was local, except we had to scan and send everything instead of bringing them in person. We needed to get transcripts and the birth certificate, all the stuff proving that he's him and the things that are with normal US schools.

The personnel have been great and any time I had questions, they would stay on the phone with me and answer them. My son has special needs and the teachers were helpful when he got a mistake on something like doing a thorough job at explaining it, so he understood where he went astray. He would go back and revise that. So, we've had really good interactions. He has taken Government, Algebra, Geography, Geology, English classes and a practical math class. The quality of education that Whitmore offers has a really good value.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your 5 star review Amy! I am glad you mentioned our self-paced approach to teaching. Students can learn the required material if they can do it on their own pace. Your son is a good example, just look at his grades.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 4, 2019

We were moving so we chose to enroll our child in online schooling. We did a lot of research and our son is very tech-oriented. He was looking for a school that was not book-bound. Whitmore's curriculum, books, and everything are online so we chose them. The enrollment was pretty dang easy. We filled it out online and paid. We ran into Common Core English and that was a total nightmare. There were grammatical mistakes and the lessons didn't make sense. My son ended up only doing one semester of English and then he was also taking courses. This is another reason we went there. My son has been going to junior college since he was 14. We put more of his English junior college and he took off. He thrived quite well at junior college. But most of the other courses have been fine. Although it's been hard, because of the move, to keep him motivated. He's having difficulty kind of wrapping up and finishing.

It's been nice to be able to reach live people and talk to people. Everybody we've talked to speaks English and we've been able to ask questions and find out where things were at. They've done a pretty good job of making sure our son takes the right courses at junior college and they take some of his college coursework and apply it to what he needs to get his diploma. There has been some flexibility. We've made some changes along the way and that has been nice. If I had a friend that was looking for the kind of the things we were looking for, I'd definitely recommend Whitmore but I'm pretty empathic about making sure it's the right fit for somebody.

Tiffany,
Thank you for your review. My wife and I had the same goal when we were enrolling our daughter, no books, no tests. Allowing students to work at their own pace and truly mastering the material breeds success for everyone.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I liked Whitmore's approach. I liked the fact that when my daughter hands in her paper, it isn't the end. They work on it and she learns from the back and forth, the corrections and the support that she gets. Other schools that we were choosing prior, at that time of her life and with what was going on, were not working. But this is working. For the first time in her whole life, she has not had any problems with or complaints about school. Even when the assignments weren't her favorite, she plugged through them and did the assignments. Afterwards, we would be glad she did it and had to experience it.

She has taken science, English, math and history. She does Whitmore year-round but this summer, she's a little lagging. She's got one more class of her AP English and maybe one more assignment of her algebra. She's waiting to finish them both before she starts new classes. But studying at Whitmore School has made her structure her own time and do her own thing. Every once in a while I'd ask her how it’s going but I also have updates every week. Those are wonderful because then I don't have to nag on her. In fact, I haven't really had to nag on her at all.

In terms of going off to college, a lot of kids get nervous by the time they get there. They don't have anybody telling them when to do something or how they should do it. But my daughter would be ready to tackle that on her own. People have asked me about Whitmore and I’ve recommended them. The cost is amazing and the enrollment process was very easy. Even when I've checked in or had a question, those interactions have been great. They're there and they’re very supportive. They know exactly who my daughter is and where she is at.

Louise,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your daughter is doing quality work with us, I just looked at her GPA with her pervious school and Whitmore. What a difference! Please tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 19, 2019

My daughter was missing too much school for her sport. Plus, with all of the problems and violence in schools, I chose to enroll her in online schooling. I live really close to Santa Fe, and it was shortly after the Santa Fe shooting. I did a Google search and looked at the top 10 schools. Whitmore is content mastery-based and not test-based. To enroll, I filled out a lot of forms online and I submitted her public school records.

She's taking typical 10th-grade classes. She’s still finishing up geometry. We enrolled in August, so she has until August to complete her six credits. Geometry, earth science, English, and social studies are one each. PE and health were half a credit each. She did Spanish too and I had to get a tutor for it because she went from Spanish 1 being taught verbally at school to being taught online, which was difficult for her. She has always struggled in math and I got her a tutor in math as well. She has been doing well otherwise. The quality of education she is getting is good. The cost in relation to the quality is good too. I paid less than $2,000. I’d recommend Whitmore School to everybody.

Whitmore School response
Tanya, thank you for your review. Your daughter is doing fine work with us. She received an A- in Geometry, which is not an easy math course. It looks like she utilized our Tutoring Program for that course, so pleased it helped.

Thank you! Steve Ray

Original review: June 9, 2019

Whitmore School came as a referral from my daughter's friend who had great success at Whitmore. We also enrolled our daughter and the process was very simple. We went online and studied all the information and then we had to have her previous school send them her transcripts. I had the email correspondence from a counselor who guided us after enrollment as to what classes she needed to take for her sophomore year. My correspondence with them was extremely informative and they were very prompt.

My daughter took English, Geography, Geometry, Spanish 1 & 2 and Biology in Whitmore. It was a great learning experience for her and she enjoyed it. For our first online educational experience, it was easy to follow, informative and extremely educational. Also, the cost is very economical. She was attending a private school prior to that and we spent way more on private school than we did for Whitmore. It was right in line with what we were getting. Whitmore is a great online school and I tell everybody about them.

Heather,
Thank you for your 5 Star review. Your daughter is achieving impressive grades with us. Please tell her to keep up the good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 8, 2019

I saw a lot of good reviews from others who have gone to Whitmore before so I had confidence that they're doing well in there. The cost was another factor I went with Whitmore. The enrolment process was easy. We got it done within a couple of hours. The staff is responsive and helpful. The program provides the kids with a flexible schedule to study and do their work.

My son has been more responsible with Whitmore School compared to how he was when he went to public school. He needs people to get the answers to his questions and with Whitmore, he gets better instruction from the teachers. It's not easy to learn, but it's more interactive or the way the course goes, it encourages him to keep doing it. He finished all his courses in just a short period of time because he enrolled late. But he's able to do well.

The only thing though is they don't have a lot of options for elective courses, especially in language. They only have Spanish. But other than that, I'm happy that I enrolled my son with Whitmore School. I'm also happy that I see my son doing better and as a parent, it is important when I see my son being more responsible and interested to do his school work.

Hi Nina,
Thank you for your kind review. Your son is doing very high quality work with us and his grades reflect it. He is also very dedicated, the activity calendar shows he submits work almost everyday!! Thank you for commenting about our teachers, this wouldn't be possible without their dedication to their students.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 7, 2019

My daughter is in the ninth grade in Whitmore School. She's taking social studies, Geometry, English, health science, and history. It has been a good opportunity for my daughter to become more independent in her studies. They have been reviewing her work and they give her appropriate feedback for her to correct whatever she needs to correct. She's been studying at her own pace, which was helpful for her and it gave her lots of extra time to do other things that she's interested in.

Although I didn't have any experience of homeschooling and I didn't know exactly how to help my daughter with it, Whitmore did the part very easy so she was able to accomplish the goals on the academic goals for this year. I also didn't have a problem with the board of education here after I submitted reports that the school provided me with. The learning experience for my daughter is very good and I feel good about it. Whenever I have any doubts, I call them, and they answer my questions promptly.

Roxana,
Thank you for your 5 star review. Your daughter has taken responsibility for her education, she is submitting work almost everyday! Her grades are fantastic, you must be very proud of her. Please tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 30, 2019

I thought online schooling was better for my son to have a better learning environment so he wouldn’t have to feel the pressures of regular public schools. I decided to go with Whitmore due to the fact that it was all about mastery learning. I think that’s just better. They don’t pass you unless you master the subject and that’s something that’s invaluable to me and my family. The enrollment was very easy. I was able to go online and put in his basic information. About an hour later, I decided to call them and they already had my information up and basically stated down. We had to prove them with two transcripts from his prior schools and he was enrolled that very same day after payment was set up. The pricing of the school was also very good.

The instructors were very nice to my son at all times, even at times when he felt frustrated. They exercised great patience and always kept him focused on the end goal, which was to master the subject that they were learning at that time. He took English 11 and 12, Spanish 1 for half a semester for half the credit, and Spanish 2 for the whole credit. He also took Geometry and Algebra. The education is very high quality and we should let more people know about Whitmore.

It was a wonderful opportunity for my son to excel and know that school isn’t a bad place. You can go to online school, really enjoy yourself, learn at the optimal level and achieve the goals that you had set out. The primary reason for school is learning and Whitmore School emphasizes that. It’s a great organization and school. They've definitely helped my son achieve his goals of high school success. It was a very satisfying experience. It was great for my son and he would totally agree also. My child is very happy knowing that he graduated and got a very quality education. The graduation ceremony that they put on was wonderful too, especially getting kids from all over the United States to come together in one area.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review. I agree, mastery learning is a great way to truly learn the material and be able to retain it.
Thank you for coming to the 2019 Graduation, it was great to meet you and Tyler in person. We all hope Tyler has a successful future.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 27, 2019

My child has health issues so we enrolled her in online schooling. We like the course offering in Whitmore School and their personnel have been very helpful. Her learning experience has been well suited for her situation. She's enjoyed her teachers, and they'd given good feedback. Also, the cost has been appropriate in relation to the quality of education she's receiving. I love the communication options too. We just signed up, where they email us and keep us up-to-date, and that's been great.

Whitmore School response
Stephanie, thank you for your review. Your daughter has done excellent work at Whitmore School. We wish her the best and success in her next chapter of life.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 24, 2019

My daughter was having increased issues at the public school. She was classified as having an IEP so she has a disability. I'm an advocate for young peoples with those types of disabilities and it is important to me that they receive the resources that they need to be successful. She is also a dancer so we travel a lot. We wanted a better fit for her socially and to impact her dancing too, making it a lot easier for her and Whitmore is the best decision that we have made. When I was checking the reviews and the curriculum of that nature as I was fairly new to the process of public or private schooling at home, Whitmore had awesome reviews and their mastery program was exceptional. It allows the child to make sure that they exhibit the factors that they needed for that section to be successful.

My daughter has been with Whitmore since January. We went through a pretty simple enrollment process and their staff was amazing. They walked me through it. Kathleen was awesome. There were also several different staff members at Whitmore School that can help the parents, assist the parents and be available. We came from public school and she was able to do second-semester 9th grade and finished it pretty much early. We took the basic classes that were needed to complete 9th Grade and had the awesome opportunity to start 10th Grade classes a whole month before the normal school would be out.

As a parent, I am extremely pleased with Whitmore and there is so much I can say about it. The program has helped my daughter extremely. Her grades have extremely changed. She is excelling and I'm telling people, even in her dance community. When asked if my daughter goes to public school, I tell the moms to check out Whitmore.

Dear Marquita,
Thank you so much for your 5 Star Review. Your daughter is doing some incredible work with us! So pleased she has made a schedule that works for dance as well as school. She is taking responsibility for her education which is a huge achievement! You should be very proud of her.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My son has Asperger's and our local public school wasn't working out with him, so we chose to enroll him in online schooling. But we had done online schooling before and we weren't happy. I did a search and Whitmore School came up. Then I read about them and thought we'd try this one. My son is still in high school, so he's getting his diploma. Whitmore is accredited so he can get into college when he graduates. The enrollment process was easy and the school personnel were great.

My son is 19 now and he is just finishing up. He does everything himself and that's really great. They give him lots of time there. There's a lot of communication with his teachers through the emails and he gets help. He would tell me that he wrote a paper and his teacher sent him an email that he is a good writer. I really like that they communicate with him and they build his confidence. I wish I had known about this school five years ago because then he would have graduated on time and everything would have been smoother. Our experience with Whitmore has been easy. My son is getting a good education because he’s actually mastering content and not just learning and moving on. It worked out with Whitmore, so so I'm happy and my son is happy.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Amie. Your son is having great success with us. At Whitmore School we believe students learn the most when it's at their own pace. So pleased he is dedicated to learning the material.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 12, 2019

My daughter is an athlete and she does ballet from 9:00 to 5:00 every day. She's in high school and she's trying to graduate. We needed something that her school wouldn't provide in her time off, so we looked into online schooling. a friend referred us to Whitmore School. We checked into this school and the reason we choose them was because they're a self-paced school. Some schools make you stay with a curriculum per semester, but Whitmore lets you do it as long as you get it done, then you can move on. The cost of the service was very affordable compared to some of the other programs that I had looked at which were much more expensive. The enrollment process was easy and I did it online with one of the counselors.

My daughter has good interactions with the school personnel. They've helped her a lot and she likes her counselor. Her teachers have always replied back quickly within a good amount of time if she had a question. My daughter has done her schooling with Whitmore for a couple of years and she has made straight A's there. It has been a great experience for us and it fit our needs.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your wonderful review Sidney. We have quite a few ballerinas that attend our school. Their schedule is very challenging and the student has to be dedicated to school as well. Your daughter has done that, hope your are very proud of her, we are.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 20, 2019

A friend currently enrolled in Whitmore referred it. And between our family friend recommending Whitmore and looking up some of the other schools, we liked what Whitmore offered. Their enrollment process was very good. We are struggling a little bit with not being able to save some of the work though. There were several lessons our daughter had started over because the work was not saved. The computer's power went down and once she logged back into the computer, the work was not saved. When she asked Beth, her guidance counselor, about that, she said that you couldn't really say that.

My son had also done online schooling with a different school. All of his work gets saved. He can log in and out and he can stop in the middle and go back to it. If he has been working on algebra for a few hours and needs a break and wants to go to science, he can go back to it. At Whitmore, we can’t do that. But we figured out how to work around that and what we need to do to make sure that she completes the lessons without having to redo it.

Our daughter is currently enrolled in algebra, English, and history. But she will be taking science and foreign languages. We were able to compare Whitmore's cost with our son’s schooling and it is very comparative. We also like the tutoring aspect where we were able to pay extra and ask for a tutor, which has been very good. Overall, we’ve really enjoyed Whitmore Schools. It has been a good process and program.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for the 5 star rating Diane!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 18, 2019

My son was not happy with his experience in his public high school. He's kind of advanced and he felt like he was always being held back, waiting for the other students to finish work. He was looking for a change, something a little quicker than a traditional high school. After looking online at all of our different options, Whitmore School seemed to have the most of what we were looking for in a program. We then enrolled and the enrollment process was super simple and very easy. Also, whenever I've had questions, their team responded right away via email or phone. My son loves Whitmore and he's been much happier. He signed up for English, Biology, US History, and he's done stress management. The cost was fair and everything has been going to plan. So far I've been happy with everything.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Christine. Your son is doing fine work with us, so glad to hear he is happy with Whitmore School!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 10, 2019

Enrolling in online schooling for our child was the good option for our family. We like the flexibility of the high school course of Whitmore Schools and doing it at our own pace. Before we enrolled our child, I called and talked to someone in the office who was super helpful. She was an alumna from there and she gave me the reassurance that I needed. Then I worked with the guidance counselor to get our child's records reviewed. The enrollment process was very easy.

As far as instructors, our child hasn’t had any negative interactions. Every once in a blue moon, a teacher asked for something that they didn’t clarify to start with. But there's way less frustration than with teachers in traditional schools, so I’m very satisfied. I like the way that our child is held responsible for every assignment. They don’t just take an assignment that he didn’t put his full effort in doing and give him a low grade. They make him redo it, so there’s no point in not putting an effort the first time because he knows that he’s gonna have to redo it. We see a lot of that in traditional schools where the children say either that they don’t have to do an assignment or that they're just gonna do enough to get by. So, I love that they make our child accountable in that way. Every once in a while, he would complain about a teacher and I would say that his teacher didn’t like it in a traditional school a lot more than him, and he would say that I'm right. That was just a normal teenager complaining about a teacher and not any issues. We’ve been very happy with Whitmore.

Dear Crystal,

Thank you for your 5 Star review. I can see from you son's activity calendar that he is very dedicated to his studies. Please tell him to keep up his good work, it will pay off!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 9, 2019

Our daughter, who is autistic, was experiencing some bullying in the public school system. This is what led us to look for a homeschool option. We knew that we needed to homeschool her. Both me and my husband work and did not know how we would find time to homeschool her. We looked at numerous options before we found Whitmore School. I did some research and realized this was the perfect fit for our daughter and for us. They are affordable and accredited. Whitmore is organized and the computer system that they use is efficient and is always working. We have experienced no issues.

After enrolling her, she has thrived in academics and is learning life skills that she would not have learned in a brick and mortar school/public school. She is now a senior and is about to graduate. She loves Whitmore and wishes we had found out about Whitmore when she first enrolled in school. Their teachers and administrative staff are all very supportive and helpful. She has met with the principal for coffee to discuss concerns and her progress. Going this extra mile to travel and meet with students is a plus! We also paid the additional fee for a support coach which has really helped our daughter's oversight and kept her on track. We really recommend this service and Whitmore School all together. Thank you Whitmore School for all you've done for our daughter!

Dear Sherrie,
Thank you for your kind review. Your daughter is doing great work at Whitmore School! We are looking forward to her Graduation. Daisy says Hi!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 8, 2019

My child wasn’t doing well socially in the regular public schools and Whitmore School was a better fit for him. They had a military discount and the price was fair. You also don’t have to wait to start a class. You can just start them as you go and working on your time. You can do a couple of days a week or you can take a couple of weeks off. I really liked the flexibility. The enrollment process took a day and it was really simple to do. It took some back and forth, though, and we had to get transcripts over to them, but the initial stuff was quick. We got in contact with the personnel at Whitmore School when adding classes and making sure we got proper credit for previous classes taken, and it has been really quick and painless.

My child has gone through the normal prereqs, like English and Algebra. There were also a geography class and a history class. He likes Whitmore and he likes the flexibility. He has a job now and a regular school is not for him, so he definitely enjoyed that part of it. Overall, it is a really great school and we are fortunate to have found it.

Whitmore School response
Ken, thank you for your review. Your son is doing great, solid A's and his activity calendar is showing his dedication to his school work. Please tell him he is doing a very good job!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We were looking for a better alternative for our children that better met their needs and Whitmore School had the approach that we liked where it was a lot more one-on-one type interaction and consistent interaction. It wasn’t just supplying the materials, then you’re on your own. There is the opportunity for feedback from the teachers and it is mastery-based instead of grade-based, so it really helps the students learn the material before they move on. The enrollment process at Whitmore went smoothly and the personnel we interacted with was very professional. Our two children have taken English, History, Geography, Computers, and Environmental Sciences, as well as working on Biology, through Whitmore.

The only thing negative is that a lot of information is assumed outside of the lesson itself, so the students have to go out and do all sorts of research. It can get very complicated if you have a 15-year old trying to make sure they know what direction to go to try and find the right information out there. Also, when the questions are posed at the end of each lesson, on a regular basis, we have found that our child has answered the questions. But, the teacher will come back with additional questions beyond the boundaries of the lessons or of the questions they originally passed, and it is not a passing grade until they answered those as well.

So, it takes a lot more time for the back and forth on things that if they were essential, they should have been included as part of the original lesson and questions. Some of the back and forth takes too much time. How long it takes to complete all the lessons and complete a course is extended beyond what is necessary to cover the material, so I think it could be made a bit more efficient.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Derek. Both your children are doing very well at Whitmore School.
I appreciate your feedback on teacher interaction with lessons. We are constantly looking at how to improve our students experiences at Whitmore.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I attend online school myself. But we were having trouble finding a good fit for my daughter here locally. I saw a lot of good reviews and positive feedback about Whitmore School and enrolling with them was very easy. They just asked for usual transcripts from previous education, and then enrolled her in class. The price is also fair. The interactions that we had with the reps were great. We even had an issue once and they were very positive about resolving it. My daughter is taking a couple years of high school, so she is taking General English, Math, History and Psychology classes with Whitmore. She really enjoys the flexibility.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your kind review Jason. I know you and your daughter have had some challenges this past year. We are so pleased that Whitmore School is a good fit for your daughter.

Steve Ray

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had a great experience with Whitmore School. Quite honestly I can't imagine how it could have went any better. The teachers were fantastic. They were thorough and dedicated. The lessons were well laid out and navigating the site and curriculum is a snap. They have set the bar so high with their program, anything else would be a letdown. I would most certainly recommend Whitmore to anyone thinking about this type of educational experience.

Whitmore School response
Thank you Charles and congratulations on earning your High School Diploma!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Whitmore had good reviews and it was not terribly expensive. In addition, the enrollment process wasn't difficult. It was all online and we didn't have to send in any documents. The school personnel then called to let us know that my two kids were enrolled. They took us through what to expect and everything was through email after that. While I had a call from them a couple of times, my interactions were always positive.

So far, the quality of education offered is good. I like the fact that it's based on my kids' mastery of the subject versus just getting a flat grade, and not having a chance to go back and fix their mistakes or understand where they went wrong. They have to master the lesson before they can move on. It might take them a few trials, but they'll eventually get it. It's better for them as far as learning and knowing that it's not all or nothing. Although they do a good job, there's not as much pressure and they learn better that way. The experience has been very good and we'll keep using Whitmore.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your great review Elena. Both your daughters are doing excellent work. Please tell them how pleased we are with their success!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My daughter needed to enroll in online schooling because she is working and could not go to a traditional school. Whitmore is accredited and recognized as a viable substitute for traditional school. We chose them as we wanted to make sure that it would be something that would translate into a positive application for college. Their enrollment process is very easy. They take care of analyzing your transcripts and let you know exactly what remains and what you need to do. My daughter has taken English, chemistry, environmental science, Algebra 2, geometry, and more core classes.

Everyone at Whitmore is very pleasant too. My daughter thinks that her teachers are really great. She enjoys them. Also, the quality of education Whitmore offers is absolutely worth the cost. The curriculum is more rigorous because they don’t have regular tests, so they’re very detailed with their lessons. They also make sure that the child is grasping the contents, which is why my daughter is testing so well in her SATs and her ACTs. If you're considering enrolling your child in Whitmore, make sure you have a very self-motivated child.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the review Jennifer. Your daughter is doing quality work with us. I can see that she is dedicated by looking how often she submits her lessons.
You are absolutely correct when saying the student needs to be self motivated. Sometimes that's the hardest thing for students to achieve.
When my daughter attended Whitmore she developed self motivation when she realized she could do the work and get good grades. Her confidence level increased and so did her motivation.
Please tell your daughter she is doing great!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

It has been my experience in the last 30 years that the brick and mortar public schools are not education-based, and that they don’t really teach children how to go out into the world and teach themselves anything new. But with Whitmore they had the basic classes that my kids need to be able to function in the world. They have enough extra classes so that if my children choose to go to college, they will be prepared for that. They have a large student base, and they’ve been around for a very long time. And many of the other online schools, whether they’d be public or private, seem to be lacking in some of those areas.

The enrollment at Whitmore is also extremely easy and non-invasive. Their personnel is well-informed and polite. I’ve been very pleased with the cost and quality of everything except for the math tutor. Also, my daughter Faith doesn’t like her government teacher and she hopes there are more foreign language classes. Also my kids don’t have smartphones and in order to make their classes fully functioning, they have to have a smartphone. Nevertheless, I recommend them.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Monica. We appreciate the feedback and will strive to improve.

Steve Ray

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The enrollment with Whitmore School was pretty simple. There was an online form that we filled out and then we waited for our daughter's transcripts to flow over to the school. The reps were very helpful and very professional. They gave me a lot of information and got us in the right direction. Our daughter has taken History, Business English, English, a couple of elective classes, and a test prep class and it's going well. It has been a great experience so far.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Dustin. Your daughter is doing good quality work and is very dedicated to her studies. Her submission calendar is impressive. Please tell her to keep up her enthusiasm!!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student-athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs