Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.77/5
Shop Now

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

Original review: May 16, 2020

My son had been going to a private school for years. The cost of private school for high school here jumps about $10,000 a year on top of what we were already paying, plus my daughter is in college and so the cost for private high school was not feasible at that point. The public schools here were not even an option. They were beyond bad. So our options were online school or homeschooling of some other fashion.

I did a lot of research. There is a local to Texas online school, but it’s a public school, which I wasn’t crazy about because my kids have never been in public school, so I didn't know that the curriculum would match up with what they were used to. Also, we flat-out weren’t eligible for it because the kids should have been in public school to be eligible for the online public school option so that wasn’t an option for us. But Whitmore was the best ranked and the most highly recommended. They were also accredited and being accredited really meant a lot to us. The cost was not that steep. In fact, it costs less to go to Whitmore than to play one sport. This was a very reasonably priced option.

I talked to the counselor before we decided to join. I really liked her and she was very nice. She actually helped me and walked me through the enrollment process. I emailed the school, explained our situation, asked for some information, and talked to them quite a bit. Once we finally decided to enroll, it was super simple. It was just essentially follow a website, fill out some links, and give them my credit card number.

The adjustment period was a little rough. When my son first started there, it took a little bit of time for him to get into the groove of organizing and managing his time himself, so that was a little bit of a learning curve. It took him a little time to get the interface set up as well. But once we got all of that working, he jumped right into it and really loved it.

My son has some learning differences. He’s dyslexic and he has dyspraxia so he worked with tutors for years to fix all of that. He reads fine now and on grade-level, but very slowly. Being able to work at his own pace was hugely beneficial for him so that he could spend as much time as he wanted with the subject matter and think it through and work at the hours that suited him and not have to be working in a class for 45 minutes. Then by the time he'd finally get into it, he'd move on to the next thing so being able to focus on particular subjects in any given amount of time was really helpful to him. We really enjoyed our experience and we plan on him coming back in the fall.

Hi Kellie,
So pleased to hear your Son has made the adjustment to online learning. He is doing very well and the Activity Calendar shows his dedication to his school work.
It looks like he has completed the 6 credits for his enrollment year. He can re-enroll anytime he's ready to start school again, he does not have to wait to August if he is ready.
Thank you for your 5 Star Review!!

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2020

We shifted just for my son's senior year. He was unhappy and stressed out in public school. A lot of the pace of the courses were moving very quickly, so instead of learning, he would just enroll in a course and end up excited and then would end failing it within a month. So, the online gave him time to work at his own pace, to work towards mastery, and also give him time to pursue interest that he had that he wasn’t able to do in public school because he was always doing homework.

I did a bit of research and noticed Whitmore is accredited. And just in looking at reviews and ratings, there are some you’re not always sure about the reliability. And so, the feedback I got on Whitmore, I felt it was the most trustworthy. And then, I liked that it’s a rolling enrollment, that my son could just start. We initially just had him enroll in a single course, and then at the end of his junior year decided to go full-time. We just went online, enrolled him and paid the fee, and they got him set up. At first, it was just the chemistry course, and then when we went full-time, he was still continuing the chemistry and then they did two additional courses. The reps were always very pleasant and accommodating to whatever your individual needs were. My son really took his sweet, old time with the courses. But that was okay, and there was no stress of, “Well, you need to get it done by this date.” They were always very friendly.

My son's biggest learning experience resulted from having the stress and drudgery lifted and having the time where he could really pursue his own interest. This was more a lot of self-educating type stuff. So, I knew he was getting some of the academic fundamentals through the online courses but then he could really enhance it. That really helped to build for him a STEM identity because he really is interested in the sciences. If all he did was take science courses, he probably would not have developed that STEM identity. But it was being able to go out and listen to lectures and podcasts and follow series like Cosmos that really got him excited, and then not being held to a school schedule. We did some travelling and he was able to go to the lectures. It was like almost like a co-curricular benefit that he would not have had in the other setting.

The chemistry course benefited him to be able to go at his own pace and to work until he got everything right, because then that way, he wasn't moving on and he had errors and didn’t know what the errors were, and then he would go deeper into a hole. I have no background in chemistry, but it sometimes felt like we were just jumping into a session. So the development of the course curriculum started more basic and fundamental and building. Sometimes it felt like there was information that we didn’t have, and then we had to go outside and research at other sites. And then eventually, I hired a tutor to work with my son as well. It was a tutor who’s an instructor at Virginia Tech, which is close to where we live. Also, the different lessons felt a little cut-and-paste. I don’t know if Whitmore purchased some of their curriculum from other sites or if it was actually developed by the instructor of the class.

There’s a lot of writing in English, probably more than my son would’ve done in a typical English class in a high school, so that was good. I teach as well, but a critique I have across the board is a lot of times, we give students assignments and correct the assignments but we don’t do enough instruction, like how do you do this, how do you set up the writing and so forth. I know it’s a little more difficult in an online format, but in all of the sessions, there could’ve been more direct instruction of how to. I don’t know if Whitmore ever plans to upgrade its learning management system and maybe integrate more where you actually have the teachers doing short lectures themselves so it’s not just reading but that there are students who are actually listening.

Whitmore School response
    We are so pleased that Whitmore School was a good fit for your son. Yes, many students do well when the stress of deadlines is removed. Even though he "took his sweet old time" in the end, he graduated and earned all A's at Whitmore. This is quite an accomplishment considering he completed very challenging courses and even honors level courses!
    Thank you.

Ellen Ray

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We adopted our son at age 12 and we had a lot of things that we needed to work through as a family, but public school was pretty much taking over our lives. We needed time with our family, and he needed the additional support of me being here and for him to be just working at his own pace so we could also be doing things that we needed to do as a family to work through trauma issues. We got him enrolled with Whitmore based on the reviews, and being a teacher, I saw that their educational philosophy seemed like the best fit. It felt like a lot of our stress came from always preparing for a test instead of learning the material. And my son can prepare for a test, but he doesn't learn it. So, I wanted the focus to be on him actually learning and spending time with the lessons until he mastered the material.

My son has taken a lot of courses through Whitmore, like English 9, English 10, Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology as well as US Government. He's just starting Chemistry, and he has also taken some Career Studies. There were also electives, like Spanish 1, which he has completed. I appreciate that the personnel from Whitmore were there when I had a question or when Marcel has a question, but it's not like a you have to always be talking to them, it's only as needed. I have the information I need and I know how to connect to them if I need it but it's not an overwhelming always type of thing.

Being with Whitmore, I think my son walks away feeling like he can do it and that he feels successful. I also think that he's motivated because the ball is in his court and he has all the information and he can take the time to learn it, or he can learn in a few lessons, and he just slacked off and didn't do well, and then he has to go back and redo it. So, there's no point in doing that. And so, I feel like it's very doable and he can be successful but it takes him putting in the effort. And that has been a really good lesson for him.

Caroline,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing fine work at Whitmore School, his grades and dedication are evident.
    Both our children are adopted and you are so smart to focus on your family and actually learning the material. Both will insure his success!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
    Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
    It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: May 21, 2020

The reviews about Whitmore School really stood out for me and their enrollment process was easy. We just had to submit the paper that we had from the school and that was all for the current grade that my daughter was going. My interactions with them all went smoothly. My daughter is more independent in her studies with Whitmore School and she’s doing better than in a regular school.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Gabriela! So glad to hear your Daughter is doing better in our school. Please tell her to keep up her good work!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 19, 2020

We were looking for a new opportunity for my daughter's school. It’s a bit of a challenge getting her up and moving in the morning. With some research online, we came across Whitmore and we thought this would be the way to go. She’s done really well with Whitmore School. I like the communication from the counselor once a week and the communication monthly from the counselor with the real updated report. She can have constant contact with her teachers, pretty rapid response, and they actually are learning. Being able to do the revisions on work assignments means that she’s actually learning and not just moving on without learning the core details.

The professors are great. I love the fact that my daughter's Spanish teacher lives in Chile. That’s amazing. They’re all over the place and she seems to develop a pretty good relationship with all of them. My daughter's confidence level is very strong now. I’m really impressed with Whitmore School and I tell everybody about it. With all of this COVID-19 that’s going on, she’s ahead of the curve here now.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Courtney! Your Daughter is doing very well with us. We are so pleased she enjoys Mastery Learning, it's so important to learn and retain the core principles of every lesson.
    I will let Christine know your Daughter is enjoying her Spanish Class.
    Thank you!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 10, 2020

My daughter is sick and can’t attend school. With Whitmore, it’s three days and she likes that. Enrollment was very easy and cost is reasonable. My daughter finished Whitmore. Their personnel were all very attentive, and they would answer back quickly. She took pre-Calculus, English, Performing Arts, Chemistry and History. The only thing we didn’t like was the program itself in Math wasn’t very explanatory. We had to get tutors. All the Calculus related subjects are not okay. They don’t explain them well for the sit-in that I’ve had from that.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Ana. Math is a difficult subject to learn online, I am glad you chose our Tutoring Program to help with it. So pleased to see your daughter was able to get an A in the course. We are always trying to improve and our Math courses are getting worked on as we speak.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 9, 2020

My daughter didn’t wanna go to public school. When I researched schooling options online, Whitmore got very good rating, and it was affordable. The enrollment process was fine. Because my daughter hadn’t met the age yet, she was asked to submit an essay, which she did. Then the dean contacted me after she did that, and then she told me about the program and explained different stuff to me. I chose one and then I paid the tuition, and she was able to start the next day.

Whitmore's team is great. They have reached out to me if there were bumps on the road. They had a point in time where my daughter was kinda behind, and they telephoned me. We talked about it, and we were able to figure out what the problem was and how to solve it. It’s been a very good experience. Whitmore is harder than public school. My daughter has to do a lot of research. She has to put in a lot of effort. It’s not like you just answer this questions. For everything, you have to kinda look for additional information. Every lesson kinda takes her a bit to do. When I looked at it, I realized she has to really put a lot into the assignment. According to her, she prefers it than public school. She said she likes it and she’s learning.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Ikusha. Your daughter is doing very high quality work with us. We can tell she is putting in a lot of effort. That is the key for success at our school. Students that put the effort in will achieve success. Please tell her to keep up her great work.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 6, 2020

My eldest son prefers to do school online. He’s more of an introvert and did not want the traditional high school experience. Whitmore was suggested to us by the guidance counselor at the institution that he attended before we withdrew. All the communications are through their website. If you need to talk to someone, there are ways to contact people and have an interaction that way. Almost everything is done via email. It is a fairly comprehensive program. It stands up against a rigorous curriculum that he had when he was attending a more traditional school.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Charlotte. Looks like your Son is getting close to graduating. He just needs one more push to get over the finish line!

Whitmore School author review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team