ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.86/5
Visit Website

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We adopted our son at age 12 and we had a lot of things that we needed to work through as a family, but public school was pretty much taking over our lives. We needed time with our family, and he needed the additional support of me being here and for him to be just working at his own pace so we could also be doing things that we needed to do as a family to work through trauma issues. We got him enrolled with Whitmore based on the reviews, and being a teacher, I saw that their educational philosophy seemed like the best fit. It felt like a lot of our stress came from always preparing for a test instead of learning the material. And my son can prepare for a test, but he doesn't learn it. So, I wanted the focus to be on him actually learning and spending time with the lessons until he mastered the material.

My son has taken a lot of courses through Whitmore, like English 9, English 10, Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology as well as US Government. He's just starting Chemistry, and he has also taken some Career Studies. There were also electives, like Spanish 1, which he has completed. I appreciate that the personnel from Whitmore were there when I had a question or when Marcel has a question, but it's not like a you have to always be talking to them, it's only as needed. I have the information I need and I know how to connect to them if I need it but it's not an overwhelming always type of thing.

Being with Whitmore, I think my son walks away feeling like he can do it and that he feels successful. I also think that he's motivated because the ball is in his court and he has all the information and he can take the time to learn it, or he can learn in a few lessons, and he just slacked off and didn't do well, and then he has to go back and redo it. So, there's no point in doing that. And so, I feel like it's very doable and he can be successful but it takes him putting in the effort. And that has been a really good lesson for him.

Caroline,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your son is doing fine work at Whitmore School, his grades and dedication are evident.
Both our children are adopted and you are so smart to focus on your family and actually learning the material. Both will insure his success!

Steve Ray

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Jenna dances competitively and she was missing so much school due to her dance. She still has straight As in school, but they were threatening to take away her credits because she was missing nine days per semester and they just won’t let them do that here. So, I chose to enroll her in online schooling, which was easier to do. We then looked at all kinds of different options. Whitmore was one of the first online schools, and I looked at their ratings on some websites, as well as the price. I also looked at a lot of reviews of students and parents that have had students enrolled there. And I like what Whitmore had to offer.

So I sent in all of her information to get enrolled, and they sent back confirmation to my email. They sent me a link to request for her transcripts to be sent, and then Whitmore requested the transcripts. And they emailed Jena back, not just me. I like that they took her in instead of just asking everything through me. She then talked with her academic advisor and was able to choose the classes that she wanted. Then they started right away.

It is a little bit of a different process than what she’s used to at high school. She can’t just walk up to the teacher or raise her hand and ask a question. Any time Jena’s stuck or has a problem with a question, she has to email, and the staff at Whitmore has always been awesome at responding within 24 hours. Obviously, over the weekend, there’s gonna be a little bit of a delay, but they’ve even gone back to her in the same day and even on the weekends. There was a time that she was having a hard time in a couple of her classes, and rather than waiting for Jena to reach out, they actually reached out to me and asked if there’s any way that they could help. I appreciated that too because then, we were able to solve a bunch of problems with her classes and with class time.

Then for the whole of last year and a half, Jena and I had to take care of my mother as she was bedbound. Jena was the only one helping out, and there was a lot of time that she couldn’t even get to her computer. My mother passed away in March, and Jena has been able to get back since and catch up. We wouldn’t have been able to get through what we got through had she been enrolled in a regular brick-and-mortar school.

All of Jena's advisors and teachers at Whitmore have gone out of their way to accommodate her for missing a lot of time. They were able to make exceptions for her. Some of her classes that were supposed to be semester-long, one credit classes, were changed to half credits to where she was able to finish a half a credit, and then finish that class. That way she could move on to a different class rather than just keep her stuck in that one class. That was super helpful and I appreciate them being able to work with her.

Plus, she’s able to call them and talk to them on the phone, not necessarily the teachers but the academic advisors, and work through scheduling issues or class time issues, questions or anything that she’s stuck with. And they are just right there. They don’t have to call you back because they answer and talk to you right away. There was no delay in communication, which is wonderful when you work in an online school. And compared to what else is out there, there’s just no better option than Whitmore. There are other programs that are more well-known with higher branding, but they are four to five times the cost. So, looking at the quality versus the cost, there’s just no comparison. I would recommend Whitmore School to anybody.

Toni,
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review! You daughter is doing very well at Whitmore School. I am glad that she is dedicated enough to succeed in both dance and school. You should be very proud.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 13, 2019

My son was having issues with public schooling and I've been interested in homeschooling for a long time. Using the online schooling program was the best fit for us. I like the way that the faculty and the staff of Whitmore worked with us and made things easier and the experience that Whitmore School had over the others.

They were always easy to get ahold of. Any time we emailed them or called any one of them, they were always professional and were always quick to answer any questions. If there was anything that they weren't sure of or didn't have the answer, they just said that they didn't know exactly or were not sure but they'd get back to us. Then they found the right information and got back to us as soon as possible.

The quality of education offered by Whitmore was so much better than any place else I've seen. My son's biggest thing was his being in public school. I wish we would have done this a lot sooner. He was doing very poorly in public school because of the rigidity. "Hey, this is how you have to do everything." Like for math for instance. We live in Illinois so it was all that "Chicago style math" or the new math trying to get kids to think outside the box and think abstractly at a younger age, when most of them aren't just ready for that. But the school wouldn't accept anything else other than that style of learning. Even though my child was always really good with math, up until we moved here to this state and then, he went from being an A-B student in math to a C-D student in math. He just couldn't catch it because they wouldn't let him, the traditional way.

So when we started homeschooling and using Whitmore, we were able to teach, and he was able to learn best and still got the correct answers. And then, the ability to schedule what time of the day you wanna take your classes and how fast you wanna go through it how slow you wanna go through it. It was tough here at home because we had to make sure that our son took the time to sit down and do his studies and keep him focused when it was time to focus. Each individual child has their issues. But as far as working with us and pushing my son to do and continue to learn more, the teachers were wonderful at doing that. The counselor was very supportive and guided him wonderfully along the way. Everything was terrific.

Hi William,
    Your son had a dramatic turn around when he came to Whitmore School and his grades reflect that. He proved he can do the work when he applies himself. I am sure you are very proud of him, we are!
    It was wonderful to see you at Graduation, thank you for making the effort to travel at a difficult time.

Steve Ray

Original review: May 30, 2019

I thought online schooling was better for my son to have a better learning environment so he wouldn’t have to feel the pressures of regular public schools. I decided to go with Whitmore due to the fact that it was all about mastery learning. I think that’s just better. They don’t pass you unless you master the subject and that’s something that’s invaluable to me and my family. The enrollment was very easy. I was able to go online and put in his basic information. About an hour later, I decided to call them and they already had my information up and basically stated down. We had to prove them with two transcripts from his prior schools and he was enrolled that very same day after payment was set up. The pricing of the school was also very good.

The instructors were very nice to my son at all times, even at times when he felt frustrated. They exercised great patience and always kept him focused on the end goal, which was to master the subject that they were learning at that time. He took English 11 and 12, Spanish 1 for half a semester for half the credit, and Spanish 2 for the whole credit. He also took Geometry and Algebra. The education is very high quality and we should let more people know about Whitmore.

It was a wonderful opportunity for my son to excel and know that school isn’t a bad place. You can go to online school, really enjoy yourself, learn at the optimal level and achieve the goals that you had set out. The primary reason for school is learning and Whitmore School emphasizes that. It’s a great organization and school. They've definitely helped my son achieve his goals of high school success. It was a very satisfying experience. It was great for my son and he would totally agree also. My child is very happy knowing that he graduated and got a very quality education. The graduation ceremony that they put on was wonderful too, especially getting kids from all over the United States to come together in one area.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review. I agree, mastery learning is a great way to truly learn the material and be able to retain it.
    Thank you for coming to the 2019 Graduation, it was great to meet you and Tyler in person. We all hope Tyler has a successful future.

Steve Ray

Original review: March 29, 2019

My son was a junior and he was interested in joining the Marine Corps. He was just getting bored with school and he thought it was a waste of time with the local public school. Mainly the problem in the past was that we would get reports that he’s not doing his homework. So then, we told him not to take it the wrong way and that we’re gonna ground him. He can't go out on a weekend unless he gets all his homework done. He would do it and he would make all A’s.

He was like bum-rushed. All his works he hadn’t done for weeks into a weekend or a couple of days, per weekend, and make an A. So we just felt like he was bored with school. We enrolled him in Whitmore and the reason we chose them was because it doesn’t seem to be fooling around unlike other online schools. Whitmore seems to look at it right and they were straight up about what they will make him do. They also arranged the classes where you just couldn’t just bum-rush it. Their classes were structured. I want the boy to have a good education. I didn’t want him just getting a diploma but I want him to learn something. Also, the enrollment process with Whitmore was easy. They talked to us, we went online, we filled the form out, and he was enrolled.

I’d also get a review once a week on his grades and his progress. That was as much as I needed. My son can’t get listed until he graduates, but he could take the ASVAB and the physical. So we needed certain letters from the school, nothing that wasn’t true. And the school has written back where he's at, the truth, and that’s what we took.

When he was enrolled, they said he has completed senior level classes. He is considered a senior in their school that allowed him to having a physical. And then when he graduated, we had to wait. It took four to six weeks for a diploma. It didn’t take that long, but that’s what they said, in two to three weeks. And then we told them he was really eager to get in the Marine Corps list and asked them if they can write a letter saying that he’s completed all his classes and will receive a diploma in the mail. They said, "Not a problem."

They worked with us when it came to the paperwork. It was never a challenge. In fact, when I told them he was joining the Marine Corps, they thanked him for the service and being all that. Also, when my son had a question about how he wanna work, within 24 hours, he’d always receive an email back saying, “Well, this is the way of doing this and this is why,” or “Yeah, go ahead and do that where I will allow it.” For any questions he had, he’d always get a quick response. My son also usually just gets up in the morning, run his four miles, come back and would lock himself in his room and do nothing but Whitmore all day. He’d come out for lunch then go back into his room. He really dedicated himself and he found it. I’d recommend Whitmore and say I’m satisfied with them.

Whitmore School response
    Jason, thank you for your review. You have a lot to be proud of regarding your son's accomplishments at Whitmore School. As you stated, we are not an easy school, we don't just pass out diplomas to the students. Our successful students take personal responsibility for their education. That means they not only have to do their studies, they have to motivate themselves to actually get out of bed and do the work.
    Please tell him how proud we all are of his success and that we wish him the very best serving in the Marines!!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My kids were having a really hard time with public schools. I didn’t like a lot of the things the public schools were teaching. It didn’t seem to be adequate. I checked out the different schools online and Whitmore School seemed like it had a better curriculum than most everywhere else. Their enrollment process was simple and straightforward. I just had to transfer their records. My youngest took a few courses while my oldest daughter is taking American History and another English, and she has to take an elective too. My oldest daughter is 18, so she is handling all of hers on her own. Then my youngest daughter who's 16 seems to be doing really good with it. Sometimes, she struggles but we found her some good tutors to help out, as far as what she doesn’t understand. The cost seems good. I'm really comfortable with everything.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We’ve homeschooled all our kids and they got to the older grades and they decided they needed some wiser help than me. I researched a bunch of different schools online and Whitmore looked like they'd been around for a long time. Most of the comments were good too, so I went that route. I liked the format they used, how you have to keep redoing the work in order to pass on to the next lesson and we’re now starting our second year. My kids take science, history, geometry, and English classes and enrolling them is very easy. The school is very easy to work with as well. It’s competitive and as good as any. It’s also good cost-wise. We’re happy with what we’re doing.

Whitmore School response
    Nancy, thank you for your 5 Star Review! So pleased your son had a good transition into Whitmore School. We find most homeschoolers have success with us because they take responsibility for their education. Please tell your son to keep getting A's!

Steve Ray

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I like Whitmore School's program flexibility and their independent pace. They're very affordable for what they're offering. My son can work at his own schedule in the classes and then he can get a diploma through them. The enrollment process was super easy. Their reps have been very helpful. They were very clear, easy to call and they walked us right through the process. It didn't take very long. Everything is going great, so far. We're loving Whitmore School and we're happy with their program.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Due to my son’s health I decided for him to attend online school. I liked what people had to say about Whitmore, so I went online and enrolled him. They give me weekly updates. I was very pleasantly surprised that they are on top of things and very responsive when I have a question or an email or call. It's not like because it's online, you never see them or hear from them. My son is learning English, Geography and Business. I'm very satisfied. Their website is also very friendly, even for old people like me.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Andrew. Your son has done very good work with us. He is close to the finish line, tell him to finish strong. We all hope he can make it to Graduation on June 20, 2020 in Morgantown, WV.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

My daughter requested to be enrolled in an online school. Whitmore School's price was good so we enrolled with them and the process took a few days. She took 11th grade classes. She has taken Algebra, Science, English, etc. She's struggling with some classes because it's difficult not having an instructor to answer questions, like with Math. Now, she’s taking a Computer, Web Design class, which she thought was gonna be really easy, but it’s coding and it’s proving to be nearly impossible to figure out how to do that without an instructor. But the other things like English, it was not so bad. Online schooling is fine just for finishing up high school, but it would not be a great idea to do it for several years. The administrators were good and super helpful whenever I called.

Thank you Susan!!

Whitmore School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whitmore School by CompuHigh started in 1994 by parents looking for alternative education options for their children. The accredited school’s mission is to put students in charge of their own education.

• Accreditation: Whitmore School is accredited by AdvancED, an organization formed by the merger of three regional accrediting groups, SACS CASI, NCA-CASI, and NWAC. The US Department of Education recognizes AdvancED.

• Mastery approach: Whitmore’s educational approach is centered on the idea of mastery. Students can begin a new course at any point during the year and they have up to one year to master course material. This approach develops personal responsibility and determination by removing the pressure of learning something in a given period of time.

• Open enrollment: Because Whitmore has an open enrollment policy, students may start at any point during the year. This feature makes the school a convenient option for those looking for a new high school mid-semester or over the summer.

• Individual courses: Students enrolled at another high school can sign up for an individual course at Whitmore School. These courses can be used to fulfill a general requirement or to explore an area not offered by the student’s other school. Tuition fees are listed online.

• Electives: Whitmore offers a wide variety of electives to help students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for college or a career. Options include stress management, Spanish 1 and 2, art history, computer science and more.

• Best for: Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, NCAA student-athletes, students looking for additional coursework and those in military families.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team