Get Started

2. Education
  3. Online High Schools

4.6/5 (49 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We enjoyed Whitmore School very much. They were flexible and did everything we needed them to do for Sully, our son. We didn't need a lot of counseling so much but the communication was very good. The teachers were reaching out to us more than the other way around. For an online experience, it was pretty personal. It was hardly a sterile environment. We started with another online school that was not accredited and they would just give the classes and you just go at it at your own pace. At Whitmore, you have a teacher that tells you to take a closer look and ask questions. You had to master the course material before you were allowed to go on. It felt like a real school.

The bulk of the communication was telling us our son's not advancing as quickly as he should be and those are those small kicks in the ** where for the parents and for him were really helpful. Part of Sully's issue was he always had trouble sitting for hours on end. He was more of a hands-on guy and I hear that all the time. Part of it is laziness and part of it is immaturity but sometimes, you need a school that's custom for your kid.

We had the whole nine yards to help us figure out this path, and Whitmore was the official school component of it. When you're trying to raise your kids and they're malfunctioning and you need a flexible tool, that public school system ain't that. He would have dropped out of high school. Now, he got in the saddle and got out of that high school. The classes he was in the middle of were dropped and we talked to the counselors at Whitmore. We told them what we've done and what we get credit for. They told us what we needed to do to finish to meet the legal requirement for North Carolina.

Whitmore was pretty easy and manageable. There was good communication and he studied at his pace. He worked two jobs in high school that are in line with his goals, which brought him a tremendous amount of self-esteem. He is a happy, well-adjusted kind of guy. He's in the right place. He has graduated and is enrolled at a community college pursuing an electrician certificate and an associate's degree program. He's on his way to doing exactly what he wanted to do and Whitmore was a great partner. I can't imagine anything being better, easier and more accommodating. Whitmore was perfect and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sean!! Your Son has done very well. I know he had some struggles, but he graduated with straight A's, mastered all the material, worked two jobs and accomplished his goals. Sounds like he has grown to be a mature adult, hope he is proud of his success!!

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2021

When I first read about the enrollment process, it seemed a little confusing because I was out of the loop. But when I called Whitmore, they were the most helpful. They were wonderful and they got it done. It was done so quick and easy. I was talking to a real person who sounded like they had nothing else to do but answer all my questions. There was no background noise. It was wonderful. They made me feel like I was not a bother.

My son is very smart, but it's very hard to capture his attention. Even at this moment, he's still trying to finish up the year, but Whitmore gives students a whole 12 months to finish, and that's great for someone like him. The teachers never acted annoyed. They answered his questions and encouraged him to ask more. So he's gonna end up finishing with an A average, and it's not because they're giving it to him. They're making him earn it. He needs someone to be stern and patient, and that's exactly what they are. It makes me thankful for the way things played out. Whitmore is awesome. I can't say enough good things about it from the people we've talked to, to the teachers, and to the lessons.

I also had my daughter with Whitmore and she finished up very quickly and straight A's. She is a type A personality and she wants everything perfect. She was able to work and get that perfect grade she wanted with Whitmore. They let her do that. She didn't have to worry that if she messed up the first time and got a 90 or if they put it a nine, that she couldn't redo it. Because for her, a nine was not good enough. She wanted a 10.

Whitmore also has tutors. When my daughter worried so much about grades, she ended up doing her math a lot of times. We called Whitmore and paid an extra $500 for the tutor. With that payment, you can stay on the phone with them 24 hours a day. Through writing back and forth, they tutored her through geometry. There were days she would be on the phone with them five hours for one lesson. You don't get that in public school and $500 would not be near enough to pay for the hours that they spent with us. The tutors were brilliant students and very patient.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kristen. Both your students are doing very well. I appreciate you noticing our teachers are tough but patient. Our goal is for the students to Master the material and do it on their own pace. When this happens, they are able to retain it.
    Thank you again!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My daughter came across Whitmore. She had some medical issues that made her have to withdraw from the brick and mortar school she was going to. We asked around and somebody suggested Connections Academy and we couldn't get in because it was the middle of the quarter. So we did another online school, Indiana Career Academy, and she passed everything. But she got pretty far behind. But that was when her health was at her worst. Then, after a while, she got better and tried a brick and mortar school. She knew she didn't want to go back to the Indiana Career Academy. She was doing online research on her own for a long time. There was another one we almost signed up for but then she ended up finding another site that really gave it bad reviews. She saw really good reviews for Whitmore.

When she signed up for it, it was nice. It was really easy to get ahold of somebody. But one thing that was a lot better with Whitmore than the last school is, with the last school, I was getting phone calls every single day. I was getting multiple emails. Part of that was because she was missing the online class because it was timed. One thing that's great about Whitmore is she can do it at her own pace. With her having chronic fatigue, she can't necessarily sign in for class at 8 a.m.

With math, she was going to get an A because she's going to learn the material because you resubmit until the material was correct. That was good. My daughter learned a lot in math. The only thing that has been a little bit hard was when she was doing assignment, and they would have a redo it, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong for a while. She wasn't able to get that explanation. But that might have been her being shy and not willing to ask. But with math, I do math for a living so a lot of times, I would just help her out. Whitmore has been really great. The level of communication is perfect. It's not taking me away from my full time job. She's able to do it on her own and she's very happy.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Jill! Your daughter is doing really well, I love seeing all A's!
    Working at your own pace is so important, it gives everyone the chance to really master the material. Please tell her to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

We were having some issues with the local public school so we started looking at homeschool options even though I didn't really think that that was gonna be a good option for us. I then started researching some of the online private schools and looked at a lot of the information and the reviews that Whitmore School had. I went to the website and thought they would probably be a good fit for my son. There were a lot of online reviews for the school and I liked that there is a mastery program where he would be made to continue to do it until he gets it. My son enrolled last October. We sent in his transcripts and after they reviewed him, we talked to somebody about which classes he should take.

Last year, my son's biggest issue when he first started was getting some of the assignments to submit, especially the Math assignments that were really tricky. We called and somebody helped with IP issues. We spoke to him and he still couldn't get it so we kinda did a little conference call. It was me, my son, and them. We got everything resolved and we didn't have any issues whatsoever. I also talked to my son's counselor and we recently discussed some options for his classes for this year. She was very helpful and any interactions I had were great.

Whitmore is a much better fit for my son simply because sitting in class and listening to somebody talk is not really how he learns. He would tend to kinda zone out during class. Being online, he reads and he spends more time on the things that he doesn't understand as opposed to having somebody talk about the things that he already knows or are not an issue for him. It was an experience at first to try to have the discipline to actually sit and do the classes because the theory was, "I have a year, so I don't really need to do this right now." That was the hardest struggle for him. But we have it now and he's enjoying this. I haven't heard anything about him even wanting to go back to public school.

Also, I don't have any problem with the cost of the school. I don't think it's outrageous at all given what they get. My son gets a response if he asks a teacher a question or when he turns things in. There's always a response within 24 hours. He gets any help that he needs. We paid for the Math tutor last year which my son used a couple of times right at the beginning, but it was more trying to get technical questions answered. That really should've been the IT person. Otherwise, everything you get for your money.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your kind review Terri. We are so pleased your son is having success with our mastery learning system. When students can learn at their own pace they achieve a higher level of understanding and retention. Please tell him to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My daughter had other commitments that made the traditional school schedule not feasible any longer. So, we needed an online option that could work around her other commitments: to still have the ability to have an excellent education but have the flexibility in terms of the timing, time of day, deadlines on assignments, and teachers who work with them around their schedule. With Whitmore School, I liked that with mastery-based learning, the students are responsible for learning how to master the content with the guidance of the teacher and are able to use the platform to succeed.

The enrollment process was very easy for us. We looked at the school for a few months before we finally enrolled because she was still enrolled in a traditional school at that point. She finished out the school year, and we were initially intending to enroll a little bit later but the Whitmore enrollments had increased substantially and we didn't want to get locked out. So, we enrolled her a week or two after she finished her prior school year.

The process was very straightforward. We were able to register for an online open house. She was able to get any questions answered and see a general overview of what the student desk looks like, how different forms of communication are handled, and some sample course work that was available to look at online. She could review a syllabus or a sample demo lesson to give her an overview and see if she was comfortable with the platform. Then, we were able to complete the forms and they were very quick in processing everything and turning it around. This included looking at her prior transcript to get that transferred over and getting her started on her course work. Everyone was very responsive and made the process easy.

My daughter has been very pleased in terms of the teacher's accessibility and her ability to get questions answered or clarification on certain things. In the beginning, there was a slight learning curve with getting used to the mastery-based structure. She now understands how to manage that work back and forth, and how to ask questions of the teachers. It’s been good! They've been very quick to get back to her, either within the time frame she was told or earlier. We are very pleased with the education that she is receiving at Whitmore School.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your great review Stacey. I appreciate all your kind words about our admissions department as well as our teachers. Everyone is very dedicated to our students success, it is our primary goal.
    Your daughter is doing very good work with us and her grades reflect it. She is also dedicated to her studies, she is submitting work every day of the week! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My daughter did one semester at Whitmore. She was a senior and everything was positive on our end. I don't think that it was challenging for her.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Whitmore School has minimal appeal. For those actually seeking a positive and productive education it should not be your first option. It is essentially an old archaic style of school using modern technology. It runs on emails where teachers provide minimal feedback as well as fail to elaborate. The success of one's self is entirely on them. The "teachers" are quite literally there to provide a grade. Not only that but if you do not follow the lesson to exactly how they want, you will not receive credit.

I have just finished my senior year there and it is a horrible option. I cannot tell you anything that I have learned over the course of the school year, leaving me more stressed than ever when going into college. I am surprised that this is an actual substitute for school and allowed. Whitmore school disappoints on all levels, to both students and parents. With a lack of communication due to teachers responding roughly once a week (if lucky), Whitmore fails to educate students.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

We really enjoyed Whitmore. Our son used it last year when our local high school went virtual. He communicated with his counselor and teachers quite often, and he had no complaints with that at all. The classes were a lot more than what he could get through his public school. We liked the program that they offered and the classes that he could get there. Math is really hard to take online and they offered availability for math tutors. It was more challenging for him than regular school because the courses were a little more advanced. He took several honors classes and a college prep class. But overall, he was very pleased with the curriculum.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Carolyn!! So glad your son had a good experience with Whitmore School. Our College Prep Track is challenging, but you son did very well!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

We wanted a school that was already online and everything was excellent at Whitmore. They were very helpful and easy to work with. My children enjoyed learning online. If my son had been struggling in math, it would have been a little bit hard to do online but because of the tutoring, that helped a little bit. We didn't quite pace ourselves well so we were scrambling at the end to finish up but other than that, it went well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Melody! You are right, Math can be a difficult subject to do online. So glad you signed up for the tutoring. The service is live 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and the instructors are very good. Looks like your Son got an A in Algebra I, great job!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

We decided to go with a school that had a dedicated online curriculum. My son already had a friend that had been attending Whitmore for at least a year so we had some inside information and it seemed like they were enjoying it. We liked what classes were offered and the ease of my son being able to kind of pace himself. I do stay in contact with his counselor so if I have a question, I can always post it to him and he can help me facilitate that.

Maybe because of covid, more students were enrolled than there were previously. Teachers were a little spread thin so for some of his classes, the responses from the teachers were taking a little bit longer than what you would think. It took my son a little while to finish all of his classes for his first year but he took a lot of difficult classes. He took all honors, like college prep level classes. It was also getting used to being able to pace yourself. He would have to answer something, send it in then have to wait for it to come back. It doesn't always happen as fast as he would like and he can only submit two per day. But so far, it's been overall positive with Whitmore. If you want something that is affordable and a good self-paced school with a good curriculum, then Whitmore would probably be a good fit for you.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Jeremy. Covid was a challenge last year, most of our teachers were able to keep up with their responses but I am sure there were some delays. Students can submit up to two lessons per day for each course they are taking. Most of our students take 3 courses at a time, so that's 6 lessons they can submit each day.

Whitmore School Company Information