Get Started

2. Education
  3. Online High Schools

4.7/5 (54 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We heard about Whitmore when my son was in seventh grade. A friend of ours was using it and she was a student that had done well in public school, middle school. She learns very similarly to how my son is. They like to read and to write a lot of things, but have a lot of hard times putting it down on paper. So, I thought that if she was doing really well in Whitmore, maybe my son Joel would do well in it. We started looking into it more intensely when he got into mid eighth grade. We homeschooled forever, but he was going to go to public school in ninth grade. Then he said he really didn't want to and wanted to stay home. I told him that if he wanted to change his mind in the middle of high school, he was going to need to have an accredited program. It was going to be so much easier if we could transfer credits, and then he could change his mind. And he ended up signing up in the beginning of ninth grade with Whitmore.

We've loved our experience with them so far. For the enrollment, we sent his middle school transcripts and it turned out we didn't need them. But the enrollment process was really easy. They asked a few questions on the phone, took the paperwork, then we paid the tuition. Whitmore's reps are very helpful and really easy to get ahold of on their online portal and on the phone.

So far, my son has taken Computer Science, Earth Science, Music Appreciation, Algebra 1, Physical Fitness under Health, and World History. These courses were fantastic. He also took English 9, which took him a little while to get comfortable on. But that's one of the big things that we liked about Whitmore because he's not set in how fast or how slow he has to take a course. It can be longer if he needs it to be.

Algebra has been a little trickier, too because the teacher took a little while to respond. He’d submit everything, then three or four days later, he'd find out he didn't do a lot of it right and he needed to redo it. If anyone would be enrolling in the Math course, I would suggest that, at least the first Math course that they do, they pay for the extra tutoring because that has been extremely beneficial. We did that the second year with Whitmore and my son is finally completing Algebra successfully. It’s not super slow because they respond instantaneously and they’re able to help him figure out what he's doing wrong when he's doing it wrong. So he's not learning how to do it wrong and then having to learn how to do it right.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Christina for your 5 Star Review!! So glad to hear your son is having success with the YUP Tutoring. When a student is having trouble in Math, they really need help "right now" and that is what YUP can do.

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We enjoyed Whitmore School very much. They were flexible and did everything we needed them to do for Sully, our son. We didn't need a lot of counseling so much but the communication was very good. The teachers were reaching out to us more than the other way around. For an online experience, it was pretty personal. It was hardly a sterile environment. We started with another online school that was not accredited and they would just give the classes and you just go at it at your own pace. At Whitmore, you have a teacher that tells you to take a closer look and ask questions. You had to master the course material before you were allowed to go on. It felt like a real school.

The bulk of the communication was telling us our son's not advancing as quickly as he should be and those are those small kicks in the ** where for the parents and for him were really helpful. Part of Sully's issue was he always had trouble sitting for hours on end. He was more of a hands-on guy and I hear that all the time. Part of it is laziness and part of it is immaturity but sometimes, you need a school that's custom for your kid.

We had the whole nine yards to help us figure out this path, and Whitmore was the official school component of it. When you're trying to raise your kids and they're malfunctioning and you need a flexible tool, that public school system ain't that. He would have dropped out of high school. Now, he got in the saddle and got out of that high school. The classes he was in the middle of were dropped and we talked to the counselors at Whitmore. We told them what we've done and what we get credit for. They told us what we needed to do to finish to meet the legal requirement for North Carolina.

Whitmore was pretty easy and manageable. There was good communication and he studied at his pace. He worked two jobs in high school that are in line with his goals, which brought him a tremendous amount of self-esteem. He is a happy, well-adjusted kind of guy. He's in the right place. He has graduated and is enrolled at a community college pursuing an electrician certificate and an associate's degree program. He's on his way to doing exactly what he wanted to do and Whitmore was a great partner. I can't imagine anything being better, easier and more accommodating. Whitmore was perfect and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sean!! Your Son has done very well. I know he had some struggles, but he graduated with straight A's, mastered all the material, worked two jobs and accomplished his goals. Sounds like he has grown to be a mature adult, hope he is proud of his success!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 9, 2021

I like the way the school interacts with my daughter, rather than just she does an assignment, they grade it like a normal traditional school. The guidance counselor has reached out to us a couple times to say like, “She's not quite on track,” or, “She's doing great,” or just giving us some tips ahead of time rather than there being a problem, and then calling us. They’ve been proactive on that part.

I've noticed that my daughter will have to go back and forth with the teacher to really explain her thought process. The teacher or the guidance counselors make sure that they understand the curriculum or understand the content before they move on to the next one. It puts more ownership on my daughter to actually reach out when she feels she's not understanding. I've seen a lot of growth in communication, more similar to what she would have to experience through a college setting rather than a traditional high school.

My son has just finished middle school. He'll be a freshman next year and we're planning on enrolling him as well. It's been a really positive experience for us. In the switch from more of a traditional school setting, actually going to a physical building versus a virtual high school, the biggest thing to consider is, do you want a homeschool program? How involved or how committed can you be as a parent to teaching your child through a homeschool program versus an online curriculum, where they have guidance counselors and professors?

Whitmore checks the box for us, especially for the kids getting into high school. It's nice having people there that can really hone in on a particular subject and help us help our kids. So, just to know going into that what your plans are also as a parent, and understanding how much you'll be able to help your child through the curriculum. I would definitely recommend the school. But I also recognize that it's not going to be for everyone. There could be some kids out there that just aren't as self-driven or don't learn well virtually.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Harold. Your daughter is doing very well and her grades show it. You are right when you say this school may not be for everyone because it requires self motivation. However, when a student puts the effort and work into it, they will be much more prepared for challenges in the future.
    Please tell her to keep up the solid work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 11, 2021

When I first read about the enrollment process, it seemed a little confusing because I was out of the loop. But when I called Whitmore, they were the most helpful. They were wonderful and they got it done. It was done so quick and easy. I was talking to a real person who sounded like they had nothing else to do but answer all my questions. There was no background noise. It was wonderful. They made me feel like I was not a bother.

My son is very smart, but it's very hard to capture his attention. Even at this moment, he's still trying to finish up the year, but Whitmore gives students a whole 12 months to finish, and that's great for someone like him. The teachers never acted annoyed. They answered his questions and encouraged him to ask more. So he's gonna end up finishing with an A average, and it's not because they're giving it to him. They're making him earn it. He needs someone to be stern and patient, and that's exactly what they are. It makes me thankful for the way things played out. Whitmore is awesome. I can't say enough good things about it from the people we've talked to, to the teachers, and to the lessons.

I also had my daughter with Whitmore and she finished up very quickly and straight A's. She is a type A personality and she wants everything perfect. She was able to work and get that perfect grade she wanted with Whitmore. They let her do that. She didn't have to worry that if she messed up the first time and got a 90 or if they put it a nine, that she couldn't redo it. Because for her, a nine was not good enough. She wanted a 10.

Whitmore also has tutors. When my daughter worried so much about grades, she ended up doing her math a lot of times. We called Whitmore and paid an extra $500 for the tutor. With that payment, you can stay on the phone with them 24 hours a day. Through writing back and forth, they tutored her through geometry. There were days she would be on the phone with them five hours for one lesson. You don't get that in public school and $500 would not be near enough to pay for the hours that they spent with us. The tutors were brilliant students and very patient.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kristen. Both your students are doing very well. I appreciate you noticing our teachers are tough but patient. Our goal is for the students to Master the material and do it on their own pace. When this happens, they are able to retain it.
    Thank you again!

Steve Ray

Original review: March 26, 2021

The enrollment process was pretty good. The rep was really wonderful to talk to and she answered all my questions. Once we got going, the orientation was easy to follow. It was pretty clear. I like that it's one user account for both me and my son. So we both see the same thing. All interactions we have with the administrators, guidance counselor, and technical support at Whitmore are online. We have our desktop and there are links for me to talk to anybody I want to. When we first enrolled, we went over what his requirements are and what I wanted to enroll him in, and we talked about it. Anytime I send a message, I get an answer within 24 hours. Even on the weekends, they're responsive.

My son has completed physical science, English 9, US history, a PE class, and US government at Whitmore. He really likes that when he feels good, he can do it. When he's ready to do it, he can work on it. He doesn't have to be on camera. He does record himself for Spanish. He like the revision system a lot. He does his best the first time around. But if there's something he didn't understand, then the teacher can come back and say, “Okay, you got question 5, 7, and 9 wrong and here's why you got them wrong. Here's something to think about if you want to revise your answers and come up with the correct answer.” So they focus on mastery. This way, you're actually doing it and redoing it until you learn it. Also, they don't tell him the answers. He's got to go out there and figure it out himself. Overall, I'm pretty happy with Whitmore. It's a good education.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Pamela! Your son is off to a great start, straight A's in all his classes. He cares about his school work and it shows. Our Mastery Learning System lets the student work and learn at their own pace. We are so pleased it's helping your son achieve success.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

My daughter is gonna half six and a half classes this year - math, science, history, English and health. SHe's also in photography and the classes are going great. We have really enjoyed Whitmore. The teachers are very responsive, helpful and they have a much better attitude than any teacher she's ever had in a classroom setting.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your kind words about our teachers Joanna! Your daughter is a very dedicated student, I just checked her Activity Calendar and she works very hard. Please tell her how proud we are of her good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

My daughter is taking all of the common core classes at Whitmore, so she's taking English, Science, Math, and some electives. She also took art class and she’s taking digital photography. She started out in the 10th grade and she’s in 11th now. Whitmore made the enrollment process really simple and easy. It was in the middle of the pandemic and we had a few Zoom calls to get on where they answered different questions for incoming students and parents. They have a user-friendly website and system set up. We also get feedback from her teachers and we get the email daily whenever she submits assignments. Being able to log in as a parent to see the teacher’s feedback has been exceptional with her, so I love it. She had the option to go back to regular school this year, but she chose Whitmore again.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review April! So glad you are using the new Parent Portal. You can see all the communication between your daughter and her teachers. Other features are, direct and private communication with her guidance counselor, access to her Activity Calendar which will show you what she is submitting is each class, and all her current and upcoming classes.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

We chose Whitmore because of the accreditation as well as the option to have Math support. The only concern that I had initially was at the time of enrollment, would there be available slots available for students incoming. It was kind of enroll now to reserve your spot. Other than that, there were no issues. The platforms used are easy to navigate for my child. The guidance counselor has been great.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Amanda. Your concern about the available slots last year was a real one. We had no idea what to expect for volume of students that wanted to consider an Online High School option. As you know, all of our teachers work one on one with every student and on every lesson. We did not want to overwhelm our teachers, nor provide an excellent experience for our students. Whitmore grew last year but it was good managed growth that worked out for everyone.

Your daughter is doing very well with her grades and her Activity Calendar show improved dedication for submitting her work. Please tell her to keep up the good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

We've been very pleased with Whitmore. Enrollment was a seamless process. My son who is a senior is taking his two English classes and a physics class. The attention and feedback that he gets from the teachers is very detailed. They reply back and respond to almost every question he turns in for his English class. Students can go back and bring their grade up if they missed something. So, it encourages students to learn whatever they didn't get the first time. I like that.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Mary! You are right, our Mastery Learning System encourages students to keep learning more. And who doesn't like to earn an A?

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

The enrolment process was fine. My daughter ended up taking a lot of courses - English, history and a bunch of basics. She was happy with the feedback and it didn't take long to get her lessons graded back. Everyone there was really nice. Overall, we've been pleased with Whitmore. They've been helpful and responsive. My daughter was able to get her courses done for less money overall.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Erin! Looks like your daughter is taking responsibility for her education. She has done well and I know she will be successful!!

Whitmore School Company Information