2.0/5 (27 ratings)

About Florida Virtual School

Florida Virtual School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Florida Virtual School?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Florida Virtual School?

Original review: March 10, 2022

It's crazy that they say work at your own pace is a lie. It's hard to get in contact with the teachers. I barely can enjoy my personal life. It's so bad everyday I have to worry about this. It's stressful. I have my own life. They contact you many times. The teachers aren't helpful at all. I feel bad for ppl who does this. The questions be hard. They throw random questions in that THEY DON'T teach you. Jesus I would take anything back to get out of this. It's bad and the people who rate it 5 stars is for it to keep their crappy reviews up.

I already have stress in my life and this adds more. This isn't work at your own pace. The teachers will constant call you, send emails and messages 24/7 and it's stressful. I dont recommend this... I left inperson school to do this program due to covid and let me tell you this progam is way more stressful than in person school. I have no hope and I regret... Like I said don't do this. Lord I'm not lying. It's very hard. The teachers are useless and don't help at all. I feel bad for ppl who is stress out. If I can rate this A 0 I WILL!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I was one of the first students enrolled when FLVS first launched in 2010. Reading through old reviews, I feel justified in NOT listing FLVS on my job Applications.

The program lacked Communication with Local schools to allow me to attend ANY events, I was SPECIFICALLY told that I could do the following. I never got the "Walk" experience, I was denied entry to prom and participation in Clubs and Organizations, so my extracurriculars didn't count towards anything. I didn't qualify for Scholarships due to this. The curriculum was the same recycling of dates and facts as any school, but the lack of options as far as what can help you build for your future career was abysmal. Why does a Virtual High School need to use Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing or even have a class called "Computing for College and Careers" when all it was was glorified Typing Tests, I felt like I was being trained as a 1960's Secretary.

By far the worst experience was in Math. I have Dyscalculia. I struggle with Math. I needed help from the instructor, and when we FINALLY did have a call about my struggling in class, the teacher refused to listen to me ask for her to tutor me, and instead thought the best thing for her to say was "you don't need help, you're lazy. I have a student working 3 jobs and raising a baby that needs more help than you." Yes I remember her Exact words 10 plus years later, I NEEDED HELP AND WAS INSTEAD SHAMED FOR NEEDING HELP! I honestly worry that my Diploma is fake.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

This is an amazing school. But there is one issue that has made me talk about finding an alternative with my children. I know, getting behind pace is a really bad thing. But the teachers, just OVERREACT. It's like it's the end of the world if the students "don't get it all done in ONE DAY". Kids shouldn't be expected to shove in what in some cases could be months of work in ONE DAY.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

From what I have been explained kids sit at the computer for more than five hours per day. This alone is not healthy for little persons. Students are over loaded with so call work that suppose to be curriculum. The expectations from kindergartners and first graders is non realistic. None of this learning go hand in hand with any of the Theories to learning. Seem like another way to gain more funding for certain schools. That's all.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

COVID-19 forced our family to find alternatives to brick and mortar schools. At first the advertised “self paced program” seemed to be appealing for our situation with special needs students. What a huge mistake. The FLVS system is NOT self paced at all. Your child will be badgered to finish 3 assignments per class per week without fail. If your child falls behind in any class, heaven help that poor kid. You will receive emails, texts and phone calls from that teacher as if you are being sold something. You will constantly be reminded that he or she is BEHIND PACE or has not turned in an assignment for the past two weeks.

I don’t know how that is possible since my student does turn in something for each class each week but that is the most common phrase I hear whenever I am brave enough to answer the phone. “Your child hasn’t turned anything in two weeks. I am worried about your child. Your child is behind pace. Is there anything that I can do to motivate your child to finish? What time frame do you think your child can be done?" Etc, etc…

This is very stressful. ADHD? Autism Spectrum Disorder? Aspergers? Forget it. IEP accommodations? Nope. But FLVS does accept government funding for IEPs somehow. Teachers use DBAs as a way to slow down and lord over stressed out kids who are trying to “stay on pace” for their FLVS overlords like good little slaves. You cannot advance forward and take any exams locked with a password without taking a DBA. DBAs are discussion based assessments aka phone calls with teachers to quiz them over the phone and make sure that they know the material. These can also be nerve-racking for kids with disabilities or just plain shyness issues. Even if you schedule one or attempt to attend a DBA drive through, the DBA isn’t always guaranteed to happen. Which puts the poor kid even further behind.

Kids can’t skip around in their coursework or they get penalized. So the kid has to wait for a DBA before moving ahead. It is a system. A broken system. All while the other coursework for other classes piles up into an avalanche of assignments and stress. When I tried to talk to the teachers about these issues or even the school guidance counselor, guess the advice that I received? Go ahead guess. “I understand your frustration. Maybe your child can work on these assignments over the weekend to catch up?” Are you kidding me? When are they allowed to be an actual kid? Students aren’t worker bees! Students aren’t employees in a call center! How are students expected to keep up this PACE system? I don’t know if adults could accomplish it. My student is in middle school, not college.

The phone calls, texts, emails, reminders, welcome calls, live lessons, recorded live lessons, collaboration projects, writing assignments and exams will make you want to pull out your hair and find ANY OTHER SCHOOL than FLVS. I highly suspect that any 5 star reviews on this website were from FLVS staff, family and friends trying desperately to raise up their horrible ratings. I write this to warn other potential parents and students to avoid this school. I hope that accreditation agencies and government agencies take notice before funding this place. Lastly, I feel sorry for the staff, they must be job scared and stressed out to be forced to push through such a horrible system through bullying and spam just to keep their jobs during an overcrowded attendance due to COVID. Or maybe that’s the ticket? Maybe it’s to decrease attendance numbers?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I have been having a bad experience with these people since Aug. It has been a nightmare. The principal is a liar and a joke even his assistant. I have filed numerous complaints against the staff and wonders how this school is not getting investigated for conduct. Maybe a class action lawsuits against this school need to be starred to get some elbows greased and issues addressed

Original review: July 5, 2021

I've taken over 5 courses on FLVS and have had terrible experiences with all of them. The lessons don't make any sense and they teach you as little as possible and then ask you to watch a crappy review video with the easiest problems imaginable. Then when you get to the test, they give you the hardest questions that they didn't even teach you how to do. It's very frustrating and the teachers are always hard to get ahold of plus they take like every other week off leaving you with some substitute who is clueless about your progress in the course. Overall it's just so dumb and frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

FLVS is absolutely wonderful! My son did Flex for a few classes in high school a few years ago and we loved it, so when we moved back to FL due to family emergency and with COVID were seeking a virtual option and decided on FLVS Full-time. The teachers, counselors, everyone - have been amazing, patient, and so very helpful. Easy to reach teachers via text, email, or phone call when needed. They kept in contact with us to review progress constantly and helped her through a very tough transition from brick and mortar school to fully virtual. She loves it and we have all decided she will continue with FLVS to finish middle school and likely high school as well! Thank you so much FLVS! I am highly impressed with the caliber of teachers and staff they have, and the wonderful Advanced Academics/Gifted program!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We were under the impression the school would provide the tools to teach our son how to access assignments, save the assignments on his MAC Pro, and learn to work with the applications used by the school; i.e, Google Documents or Microsoft Office products. A teacher was assigned to provide what we call Study Skills but the class never happened. Hopefully Florida Virtual School will set up orientation classes to teach students how to use these tools before immersing the student into their studies.

There seems to be an assumption students can use and create presentations with the expectation that they can provide critical essays and illustration in History and Science while learning how to write. In the sixth grade language and arts curriculum our son was learning how to gather ideas, create topics, develop themes and create a thesis statement. During this process, he was expected to write paragraphs on the development of human civilization across the fertile plain in Mesopotamia, understand the development of society, technology, religious, economy and other sociological factors while developing an understanding of geography and the fundamental principles of maps and then apply that study to the development of the countries in Egypt, India, migration to North America, South American, followed by Greek History and the onset of democracy.

By the near end of the first semester the language and arts class was going over how to compare and contrast and build transitional statements between sentences and paragraphs. This is an example of a poor curriculum with lofty goals. 11 year olds need a safe and friendly environment to write and express their thoughts and understandings with guidance from a teacher. There was no guidance, only and hit run of going through Google slides.

Teachers need to have the time to teach. This is not happening at Florida Virtual School, except in the I-Ready Reading and I-Ready Math. There should have been an I-Ready Study Skills with an opportunity for a student to express the difficulties and fears faced throughout the school year. The school program did not want to hear our advice. We believe every student deserves an education. I wish Florida Virtual School will examine their program and make the necessary changes. There is a lot of potential, but they are not there, yet.

Original review: July 10, 2020

When trying to determine if my high school son should take a FLVS Flex class I read all the reviews and found myself more confused than ever. Most of the reviews were not good. But we decided to jump in because it was the only way for my son to take the math class he wanted in the summer. I am SO pleased we went this route. We have been blessed with an amazing, well organized and involved teacher. Mrs. Cathy ** is truly a blessing. She spent time with my son and I on the phone prior to the class starting. She wanted to make sure she understood his goal and make sure we understood the requirements. She also told us what to expect every week; DBA's, scheduled calls if needed for assistance and she would text me with regular updates.

My son is almost finished with the Geometry Honors and we can't be happier. Yes, the class is tough. Yes, it requires daily work (my son prefers to do two or three lessons a day, Monday through Friday so he can have the weekend off). Yes, it takes much self control and structure. And I can see why it would not be for everyone. But as far as the quality of the material, the quality of the teacher and the principal -neither match the review we found. We are beyond pleased with the program and know that if needed there are plenty more classes available for my son.

Florida Virtual School author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Florida Virtual School is an online school located in Florida, but open to students throughout the United States. Classes are free to Florida residents and available on a paid basis for those outside the state.

• Flexible schedule: Depending on where you live in the country, you may have the option to take all of your courses online as a fully enrolled student or simply purchase courses individually. Full-time students can choose to follow the traditional 180-day, semester-based school calendar or a more flexible option to suit their needs.

• Access to teachers: Students have access to teachers for guidance, questions and clarification using phone, text, email or instant messaging. Parents are also welcome to contact teachers or other administrators with any questions or for support.

• Award-winning program: Florida Virtual School has won numerous awards including the Learning! 100 Award from E-learning! Media Group and the Platinum Learning Impact Award from the IMS Global Learning Consortium.

• FLVS global school: FLVS has created a global community of students across the nation and in 67 other countries. The learning schedule is flexible and there are over 100 courses to choose from, including AP and NCAA-approved courses.

• Homeschool Hub: Homeschool Hub is an online forum and gathering place for home-school families to network, make friends, support one another in all aspects of online school and to address the unique needs and goals of homeschooling families.

Florida Virtual School Company Information