2.00/5

11 Florida Virtual School Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2019

We've done private Montessori school, K12 (another online school) and years of public school. We've had great experiences with all, the best of which was homeschooling using another online program - not FLVS. FLVS is so incredibly bad it defies explanation. There isn't one thing. It's a thousand things. I'm writing this in May 2019 and it feels like this is version 1.0 of the program and it's 1990. The login itself is needlessly & stupidly multi-step as if the programmers are new to the World Wide Web. The whole format is like that. Needless clicks from page to page.

My daughter just finished taking one - ONE - test in Language Arts. It took her 3 hours and tons of tears. The program required her to scroll down for pages to find a teeny little box where she had to write an entire argumentative outline using pages of arguments and data that she had to keep scrolling back up to see. She couldn't leave the page and open a second page to make it easier or it would give her a zero and log her out.

To add to the stupidity, the teeny box that she tried to write in for 2 hours only offers font in pale gray so she now has a huge migraine from trying to see what she was writing. All the FLVS font remained black, but the document she had to write is light gray. Try writing and editing that for 3 hours. There are no online videos helping you out, begging the question, "Why the heck is this called Virtual school?" It's like they put text books from 1988 onto computer screens and call it virtual.

Hang with me as I walk you through just one lesson. You bounce around to various pages signing in then looking for your next assignment, pick a subject, find your next assignment in Gradebook, then get out of Gradebook to go to the corresponding lesson in the Assignments tab... After a few more clicks, you find the lesson. You click through the cumbersome lengthy lesson - reading EVERYTHING, EVEN PE, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ONLINE TEACHER INSTRUCTION VIDEOS, then go to your Word docs.

Open a new Word doc. Copy and paste the FLVS lesson into a Word Doc, do your assignment in Word, clicking back and forth to FLVS as needed... When the assignment is complete, get out of your Assignments area and go back to your Gradebook where you started earlier. Scroll way way way down past all of the work that you already submitted, the Honors assignments you don't have to take... Flip back and forth between your homework and FLVS to try to match up the assignment name to the FLVS Gradebook entry, click on the Word doc title you saved... a few more clicks and you've submitted your assignment. You now have strained neck and carpal tunnel and you've just submitted... hey! A PE assignment. Yep, you'll spend hours hunched over your computer for PE.

For Advanced Algebra Honors, try to create a roller coaster where the coaster intercepts on the x-axis twice using only polynomial equations. Now do it with no video instruction. And submit it in a Word doc. For both of our kids' math, we spent 90% of our time googling Khan Academy to figure out the lessons. You could ask your teacher but they ALL work full time during the day. With our kids' sports activities, we aren't available in the evenings, so you are mostly on your own. Through no fault of the teachers. It was almost 100% reading. Even with electives like Photography and PE. And even with those classes, you'll find your kids spending their days writing needlessly long essays. Our entire family agrees, it was the worst, most needlessly stressful few months of our family's life.

**The one thing that deserves credit... Some of the classes (Math and Civics come to mind) offered tests where the student has 3 changes to take it. Found that to be great. The kids would take the test, get a 78%, review the chapter, retake the test (not the exact same), improve their grade, review the chapter AGAIN, take the 3rd test... Then they would really understand the material AND get better grades. Made so much more sense than taking the test then never going back to really learn the areas where they have trouble. Smart. Again, I'm posting this Spring 2019 so this program may improve. But we would never do it again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

AWFUL, RUDE TEACHERS WHO REFUSE TO COMMUNICATE & PLAY CHILDISH GAMES. Ms. ** Language Arts played dirty games with us, not accepting our calls on our scheduled DBA's. If you do not have an Apple don't use FLVs because you will be unable to view any of the class videos. AWFUL to the nth degree, sincerely awful. I have home-schooled my son in California and nothing is as horrible as the 'teachers' and this entire program. You should try to take a math test over the phone without seeing the math problem and having a ** spoiled brat be impatient with your child and say, reschedule your DBA. Once you have one issue with a teacher all of them team up on your child and close you out of their homework. That means all work prior to the date and after you are unable to access. FLVS IS NOT HOME-SCHOOLING. There are no books and it is hell for our children!

Get expert buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My son was one of the first students to graduate from FLVS in 1999. Now his daughter is a student. She has been attending for 3 years. She started in 6th grade, jumped to 8th grade, and is a freshman this year. She has thrived more than she ever would have in a brick and mortar. All of her teachers have been amazing. There is a lot of reading in any class you take, so be prepared. Definitely would recommend it to anyone looking for online school.

Original review: May 11, 2018

True it's hard at times to get callbacks from FLVS staff but that changes from year to year depending on the staff, but we have also had great success. So don't be discouraged. The staff will most likely change by the end of the year.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Everything about FLVS is terrible. Their website isn't setup well so logging in takes way longer than it should. The teacher's hard to contact, and the course materials are not very good at explaining the subject. Course videos often neglect to explain important parts of a process and they say if you need help just go to Khan Academy. One of the most frustrating school experiences ever, I would give it negative stars if I could. Also, the teachers don't actually explain out concepts to you, they just send out texts about how you need to do 3 assignments a week, even though it was advertised as a "self-paced" course. They only care about that 3 assignments a week, not that you understand the unit. And the so-called collaborative lesson is a nightmare! It's very hard to hear the teacher, there are no captions, and the whole setup is terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Florida Virtual School?

Original review: April 30, 2018

4/29/18 WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! So being a homeschool parent with a daughter who refuses to go to a B&M school I let her do it again. Fl gives you NO OTHER choice for high school except FLVS so I figured, "Well at least I already know the system. How bad can it be," and boy did fate deal me a crappy hand. NOW MY DAUGHTER'S IDENTITY HAS POSSIBLY BEEN STOLEN ALONG WITH MINE BECAUSE FLVS LEFT A PORT OPEN!!! This is the same as leaving your front door wide open and a treasure chest on the porch!!! Their story is they were hacked. This is a LIE. I have seen proof of the open port online. No worries though FLVS mods I have screenshots of your outright negligence.

All they offered her was a single year of ID theft protection through a credit reporting agency who has also been hacked Experian. They will do nothing for my daughter if someone uses her identity in commission of a crime. Instead my daughter would have to foot the bill of her defense and only if she is acquitted would she get reimbursed for her legal fees. What about the time she would spend in jail, or bail money if she even got bail depending on the crime her identity was used in? What about her credit? Once your info is out that's it is out forever. She has 3 years until she goes to college. How is a college going to look at bad credit if some jerk decides to use it? Oh and they are not offering the parents any protection at all.

So if you decide to go with this school with their substandard teachers' horrid classes and terrible protection of your family's personal data I wish you the best of luck. I have been supplementing her classes from day one. Thank God I am moving out of this state and she can commence learning with Connections Academy again. They would have never put my daughter's data in jeopardy. They have great teachers who all are required to have a master's degree in order to teach and if you go with their private system you will only be out 4k dollars for the two years until the state of Florida starts paying their contract. So for the 2021-2022 school year for high school and the 2018-2019 school year for K-8. http://florida.connectionsacademy.com or call 888-410-6502.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Not only did they have me retake the second segment of the course after I finished it to tell me I cheated on all my work and that I was to be failed for the whole thing. Then when I'm doing the course again they make it incredibly difficult not picking up calls or even calling back. They kept me from graduating on time. I wouldn't recommend anyone take any Florida Virtual School classes!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I am a supporter of Online courses, but I am a believer that we need to attend classes and interact in order to be successful. With that said, I dislike the fact that as a parent, I hate to see my child struggle with information that is not relevant. If we need to get in contact with other people on an assignment, to share notes, and worrying about who, and how this is going to get done, is extremely frustrating. We need to make assignments that are relevant. Is already hard enough on a child to have to learn while at school, and then have them try to turn in an assignment that has to be research and then depend on someone else online. If this is tough on me, and I am the parent, imagine my Daughter. We don't all learn the same way, but I can guarantee you that my Daughter tries hard, and she stays up until late to study and learn what is asked of her.

Can you please explain why we need to cram so much in so little time, and then expect our children to succeed? I hate to be the future generation, and see myself struggle in an environment that is set up to make me fail. The whole idea is to learn, and make it easier to understand. I don't see that happening here. And then asking a child to take this FCAT, which in its own is a disgrace, is trouble waiting to happen. I challenge any teacher out there to take that test, and remember everything they taught, plus whatever else someone else taught, and try to make a passing grade. I can bet you I would fail! I think it's time we revise how we can teach better, and not overload with subjects that are not going to be used ever. And then when you have a practice quiz, and the information is loaded incorrectly, how do you dispute that? That is something else that is wrong with these courses.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

We had nothing but a good experience with the school. My kids always performed really well on the FSA and EOC. I worried about it being as good as brick and mortar after reading reviews. However, my kids switched to brick and mortar schools and are top performers in their classes. I'm considering having my daughter come back to FLVS FT next year since we liked it better. However, we are giving the local school a shot to be just as adequate?

Original review: March 11, 2016

The fact that the students cannot communicate with their teachers as needed, speaks for itself. Teachers simply seem not to care until the time the last grade has to be submitted. The lessons are a failure to provide students with any substance needed in a given area of studies. Lessons simply do not meet the level of education our children should be provided to succeed. That combined with the attitude of the staff is simply a very bad combination. My two sons have attended the school quite few times over the years and need more that stack of writing to publish their experience. Even though, both of my sons received not a grade lower than an "A". The substance they were suppose to receive simply was not there. The way the teachers conduct their work is appalling.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

This agency is a extremely absurd in the same moment that they decided to open was only to steal the money to the government, my son is taking a English class I, and the teacher name Christine ** never help him. Several time I called her and she never respond me back and the dates that my son set up an appointment with her for help with assignment she never call him - not even answers the phone, and when I called the counsel for that grade leave a message where it said that if I have a question about that teacher I need to contact her or contact my son school. They are irresponsible, they don't take that job serious, they did not support my son ever, and never send us the grades for each assignment. I don't recommended this agency like a real course for no one student, completely deficiency in general.

Florida Virtual School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Florida Virtual School is an online school located in Florida, but open to students throughout the United States. Classes are free to Florida residents and available on a paid basis for those outside the state.

• Flexible schedule: Depending on where you live in the country, you may have the option to take all of your courses online as a fully enrolled student or simply purchase courses individually. Full-time students can choose to follow the traditional 180-day, semester-based school calendar or a more flexible option to suit their needs.

• Access to teachers: Students have access to teachers for guidance, questions and clarification using phone, text, email or instant messaging. Parents are also welcome to contact teachers or other administrators with any questions or for support.

• Award-winning program: Florida Virtual School has won numerous awards including the Learning! 100 Award from E-learning! Media Group and the Platinum Learning Impact Award from the IMS Global Learning Consortium.

• FLVS global school: FLVS has created a global community of students across the nation and in 67 other countries. The learning schedule is flexible and there are over 100 courses to choose from, including AP and NCAA-approved courses.

• Homeschool Hub: Homeschool Hub is an online forum and gathering place for home-school families to network, make friends, support one another in all aspects of online school and to address the unique needs and goals of homeschooling families.

• Best for: homeschooled students and those who want to supplement another school program.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs