1.88/5
Based on 8 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

8 Florida Virtual School Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 11, 2018

True it's hard at times to get callbacks from FLVS staff but that changes from year to year depending on the staff, but we have also had great success. So don't be discouraged. The staff will most likely change by the end of the year.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Everything about FLVS is terrible. Their website isn't setup well so logging in takes way longer than it should. The teacher's hard to contact, and the course materials are not very good at explaining the subject. Course videos often neglect to explain important parts of a process and they say if you need help just go to Khan Academy. One of the most frustrating school experiences ever, I would give it negative stars if I could. Also, the teachers don't actually explain out concepts to you, they just send out texts about how you need to do 3 assignments a week, even though it was advertised as a "self-paced" course. They only care about that 3 assignments a week, not that you understand the unit. And the so-called collaborative lesson is a nightmare! It's very hard to hear the teacher, there are no captions, and the whole setup is terrible.

Get expert buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2018

4/29/18 WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! So being a homeschool parent with a daughter who refuses to go to a B&M school I let her do it again. Fl gives you NO OTHER choice for high school except FLVS so I figured, "Well at least I already know the system. How bad can it be," and boy did fate deal me a crappy hand. NOW MY DAUGHTER'S IDENTITY HAS POSSIBLY BEEN STOLEN ALONG WITH MINE BECAUSE FLVS LEFT A PORT OPEN!!! This is the same as leaving your front door wide open and a treasure chest on the porch!!! Their story is they were hacked. This is a LIE. I have seen proof of the open port online. No worries though FLVS mods I have screenshots of your outright negligence.

All they offered her was a single year of ID theft protection through a credit reporting agency who has also been hacked Experian. They will do nothing for my daughter if someone uses her identity in commission of a crime. Instead my daughter would have to foot the bill of her defense and only if she is acquitted would she get reimbursed for her legal fees. What about the time she would spend in jail, or bail money if she even got bail depending on the crime her identity was used in? What about her credit? Once your info is out that's it is out forever. She has 3 years until she goes to college. How is a college going to look at bad credit if some jerk decides to use it? Oh and they are not offering the parents any protection at all.

So if you decide to go with this school with their substandard teachers' horrid classes and terrible protection of your family's personal data I wish you the best of luck. I have been supplementing her classes from day one. Thank God I am moving out of this state and she can commence learning with Connections Academy again. They would have never put my daughter's data in jeopardy. They have great teachers who all are required to have a master's degree in order to teach and if you go with their private system you will only be out 4k dollars for the two years until the state of Florida starts paying their contract. So for the 2021-2022 school year for high school and the 2018-2019 school year for K-8. http://florida.connectionsacademy.com or call 888-410-6502.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Not only did they have me retake the second segment of the course after I finished it to tell me I cheated on all my work and that I was to be failed for the whole thing. Then when I'm doing the course again they make it incredibly difficult not picking up calls or even calling back. They kept me from graduating on time. I wouldn't recommend anyone take any Florida Virtual School classes!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I am a supporter of Online courses, but I am a believer that we need to attend classes and interact in order to be successful. With that said, I dislike the fact that as a parent, I hate to see my child struggle with information that is not relevant. If we need to get in contact with other people on an assignment, to share notes, and worrying about who, and how this is going to get done, is extremely frustrating. We need to make assignments that are relevant. Is already hard enough on a child to have to learn while at school, and then have them try to turn in an assignment that has to be research and then depend on someone else online. If this is tough on me, and I am the parent, imagine my Daughter. We don't all learn the same way, but I can guarantee you that my Daughter tries hard, and she stays up until late to study and learn what is asked of her.

Can you please explain why we need to cram so much in so little time, and then expect our children to succeed? I hate to be the future generation, and see myself struggle in an environment that is set up to make me fail. The whole idea is to learn, and make it easier to understand. I don't see that happening here. And then asking a child to take this FCAT, which in its own is a disgrace, is trouble waiting to happen. I challenge any teacher out there to take that test, and remember everything they taught, plus whatever else someone else taught, and try to make a passing grade. I can bet you I would fail! I think it's time we revise how we can teach better, and not overload with subjects that are not going to be used ever. And then when you have a practice quiz, and the information is loaded incorrectly, how do you dispute that? That is something else that is wrong with these courses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Florida Virtual School?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

We had nothing but a good experience with the school. My kids always performed really well on the FSA and EOC. I worried about it being as good as brick and mortar after reading reviews. However, my kids switched to brick and mortar schools and are top performers in their classes. I'm considering having my daughter come back to FLVS FT next year since we liked it better. However, we are giving the local school a shot to be just as adequate?

Original review: March 11, 2016

The fact that the students cannot communicate with their teachers as needed, speaks for itself. Teachers simply seem not to care until the time the last grade has to be submitted. The lessons are a failure to provide students with any substance needed in a given area of studies. Lessons simply do not meet the level of education our children should be provided to succeed. That combined with the attitude of the staff is simply a very bad combination. My two sons have attended the school quite few times over the years and need more that stack of writing to publish their experience. Even though, both of my sons received not a grade lower than an "A". The substance they were suppose to receive simply was not there. The way the teachers conduct their work is appalling.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

This agency is a extremely absurd in the same moment that they decided to open was only to steal the money to the government, my son is taking a English class I, and the teacher name Christine ** never help him. Several time I called her and she never respond me back and the dates that my son set up an appointment with her for help with assignment she never call him - not even answers the phone, and when I called the counsel for that grade leave a message where it said that if I have a question about that teacher I need to contact her or contact my son school. They are irresponsible, they don't take that job serious, they did not support my son ever, and never send us the grades for each assignment. I don't recommended this agency like a real course for no one student, completely deficiency in general.

Florida Virtual School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Florida Virtual School is an online school located in Florida but open to students throughout the United States. Classes are free to Florida residents and available on a paid basis for those outside the state.

• Flexible schedule: Depending on where you live in the country, you may have the option to take all of your courses online as a fully enrolled student or simply purchase courses individually. Full-time students can choose to follow the traditional 180-day, semester-based school calendar or a more flexible option to suit their needs.

• Access to teachers: Students have access to teachers for guidance, questions and clarification using phone, text, email or instant messaging. Parents are also welcome to contact teachers or other administrators with any questions or for support.

• Award-winning program: Florida Virtual School has won numerous awards including the Learning! 100 Award from E-learning! Media Group and the Platinum Learning Impact Award from the IMS Global Learning Consortium.

• FLVS global school: FLVS has created a global community of students across the nation and in 67 other countries. The learning schedule is flexible and there are over 100 courses to choose from including AP and NCAA-approved courses.

• Homeschool Hub: Homeschool Hub is an online forum and gathering place for home-school families to network, make friends and support one another in all aspects of online school and to address the unique needs and goals of homeschooling families.

• Best for: homeschooled students and those who want to supplement another school program.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs