4.0/5 (360 ratings)

About Coursera

Coursera is a global online learning platform that offers massive open online courses (MOOCs), specializations and degrees. Users can build skills with courses from universities like Yale, Stanford and New York University and companies like Google and IBM.

Pros

• Self-paced
  • High-quality video
  • Free courses available
  • Free seven-day trial

Cons

• Inflexible enrollment
  • Some courses are pricey

Bottom Line

If you want to learn a subject at your own pace, Coursera offers a wide selection of online courses, certificates and degrees at varying price points.

Coursera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: May 19, 2020

Criminal organisation that leaves no means of contact or feedback on its website, knowing fully well that it is out to defraud customers. I enrolled for a free course, was asked to enter my card details merely for confirmation that I was human and I did. Then I was billed £43 for a supposedly free course. A week later, I get a receipt for £38 by email. I have since requested for a refund but no reply after 3 weeks. This is the height of irresponsibility and I say shame to all the handlers of the company. I cannot actually believe it is owned by academics as purported!

Original review: May 18, 2020

Make sure you look into the fine print of their subscription policy. It is free at first and then you are charged without notification. I actually didn't even know I was being changed for a couple months. I was supposed to have a free month but they charged me for the "free month". Since I hadn't used it, I forgot about it. Most brands send you a reminder that you are about to be charged so you can prevent the charge if you want. Not these guys. There is NO option to put the membership on hold or come back and learn on their platform for the months you paid for but didn't use. The membership fee is pretty steep and it is non-refundable. They do not have ANYONE you can speak to make any corrections. I've been using a few learning platforms of late and this was the worst experience hands down.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I can't say anything about course quality. However, beware of their subscription billing practices. They will NOT give you a warning that a charge is coming. It will just show up on your credit card. If you cancel the same day as the charge, they will not refund it.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Take care if you subscribe to a course. First, it is free for some days then they charge you and without notifications, so they charge you every month. I took a course and I forget to canceled so I finished it on March 29th, but they are malicious because they didn't tell me anything about the continuation so they charged again in April and in May and even I didn't enter to the platform so I paid a lot for a regular course because it was so bad. I hope they don't charge again because I don't want to take a course with them in the future.

Original review: May 6, 2020

1. Most of the courses are NOT accredited. Coursera have some accredited courses but they cost around 4k so if you are not paying in thousands then your course is surely not accredited.

2. Tutors are non responsive. Sometimes they do answer but since you are paying monthly subscription, it seem in they interest not to answer your questions so that you keep paying for longer. Seen posts from a year ago that have their only response a year later! Recently I'm in a situation that I see other students reporting the same issue as me, I keep asking for help every day on the same issue and have been ignored for weeks.

3. Tutorials are outdated for years! Coursera wants to use programs that is specific for them (like IBM cloud) but the tutorials are few years old and the interface has changed since then. So when they guide you "click here" there is no such an option any more. When you're stuck, you will need to manually search from tons of students who had the same problem or find a friend who will help you as your chances of getting response from tutors are slim.

4. Don't count on in depth explanations. A lot of material is covered fast so I was glad I have done my python course beforehand and that I have masters degree in Math - otherwise I think I would be lost.

Finally: My "Data Science professional certificate course" consists of 9 sub-courses. Due to some technical problem I can't finish 1 sub - part and since there is no answer from tutors it seem like all the other certificates I got will come to waste as I can't finish the course without submitting all the parts. Asked for help many times - till now no reply.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Maybe Coursera was okay at one point, but it's just a ripoff now. They offer a "free" trial period and then charge your card without warning at some point. I was charged $49.00 for a course I hadn't time to even try (we're in the middle of Coronavirus craziness now). As soon as I received notice of the charges, I tried to contact them via chat, but at this point they aren't even doing "chats" anymore. Instead you get routed to a "help" page, and once there, you end up in an endless customer non-service do-loop. When you want to cancel the unwanted "subscription" (you can't get your money back), it's not straightforward, and neither is cancelling the account. If they were actually offering a good product they wouldn't have to cheat people like this. Buyer beware - you'll pay no matter what, even if they say it's free, and even if you don't want it. Spend a little more money and attend courses at a public college; you won't regret it.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions for this FREE Trial, they charge your credit card and if you wish to cancel beforehand your credit card is charged. VERY MISLEADING, very difficult to get any replies by email let alone by phone.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I was auto charged 79.00 and I went online to chat with them about this, (the only way to contact them which was extremely frustrating) they refused to refund my money, and then proceeded to go round and round with me not understanding what I was trying to say. I asked for a customer service number that I could call because it seemed that the person I was chatting with did not have a good understanding of the English language. (Where are the people that chat? India, somewhere else?) It is a good platform for learning new things but the customer service being so poor brings my stars to one. This is no way to treat customers and just sit back, keep charging people and not having any kind of refund policy. The people who run this are running to the bank without a care to the world.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I was charged $49.99 without my consent for a course I had already paid previously. I received an invoice email and as soon as I saw the bill I contacted them via the chat, which apparently is the only possible way to contact them, and basically asked for a refund as 1. I had already paid for that course and 2. I’m not okay with them deducting money from my account without my authorization, especially being a student who really needs the money. When I got in contact with them they said basically that I couldn’t get a refund and were simply not helpful at all.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was autobilled $49.99 for a free trial I only used once when I wasn't aware they even had my billing information from a previous trial. When I immediately contacted (only possible by chat) to cancel and request a refund, given they can see I have made no use of the subscription after the initial login, they said they have a policy of no refunds. I was able to escalate the request to a dedicated refunds team, but was told I should hear back in 24-48 hours, a classic denial by run-around tactic. From reading other reviews, this company is ripe for a class action lawsuit like the ones that led to Apple and several others paying out for unauthorized subscription billing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Definitely false advertising. I'm doing research for a potential career change and have looked at 2 topics. The first - What Is GIS? - won't let you proceed with getting the software you need from Esri without giving them your credit card info - even though it's supposed to have 7 days free trial. I'm beginning to think it's a scam! Get you interested then PAY if you want to continue.

The 2nd was Intro to Web Development. You Waste your time listening to a presenter (who actually wasn't bad) then take the quiz. BUT - you can't upload it unless you PAY $79 to join the class. Literally, it says UPGRADE TO SUBMIT. That's something they don't tell you when you start. Uploading the quiz is the only way to continue so... I just want to get an idea of what is involved in these careers before making a costly mistake. Frustrating and a waste of time. Don't bother.

Also, wasn't impressed with the professor (who seems like a very nice guy) for the What is GIS? course. His explanations were confusing and I had to stop to look up some of the definitions he just went through. Think it's just a case of someone who really knows his stuff and assumes everyone else has an idea of what he's talking about.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I started this class in October of 2019. Almost every time I have started a quick lab, ESP within a Windows VM it doesn't work, there has ALWAYS been an issue, and they always say they know about it and are working on a fix, I contacted Coursera about this, as the labs are a 3rd party platform, I asked for a refund for 1 month of services as I am not getting the services I am paying for, I received a reply from coursera that they had refunded me 1 payment, they also unenrolled me from classes and suggested that in the future I copy and paste the commands the commands within the course work, how are you supposed to learn CLI by copying and pasting? What am I LEARNING by just clicking copy then paste? NOTHING!!! This is a money grab, they do not care if you learn or not, are very disrespectful, it is sad that Google chose this platform to host their learning program on, I have emails to back up my statement, beware of this learning platform....

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I was really enjoying the course, receiving virtually top grades for my assignments (all 90% or higher), which I put a lot of work into. The problem started when one student started to give me zeros and ones which ruined my grades - even though my work was the same quality as it had been. He was obviously wanting to sabotage other people's grades. First time I just resubmitted and moved on but 2nd time I reached out to support and, after forcing them to take a look they responded that "due to the privacy settings your peers selected on their accounts we're unable to identify which out of the 3 peers that reviewed your assignment provided you a bad score. Unfortunately, unless you have more detailed information about the peer that provided you a bad score, we won't be able to further investigate."

How can I ID the other student? It seems they are asking me to do their job for them. Of course I have had to resubmit but now my assignment is late and isn't getting reviews. And, of course, I have to pay by time to continue with this course. This is a BIG disappointment and totally ruins Coursera for me. Why should I work really hard on assignments and then others can sabotage my grades and I can't do anything about it but resubmit and pay for more time?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Impossible to contact or find accurate pricing. They try to get you to pay before telling you what it costs or what you get. Bizarre!!!! I spent an hour trying to find a single honest price!!! I cannot understand what their model is short of false billing and then hiding when you try to do something about it. For God's sake do not pay with a debit card!!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I'm a verified user on Coursera and have been paying the monthly subscription fee. I've used Coursera for years, since its inception. It was not bad at first, pretty good really. But, the changes implemented to the platform over 2018/2019 are turning it into a profit driven scam machine. A couple of months ago they sent me a classic bait and switch survey email that is common to Craigslist scams; you answer some questions to see if you "qualify" to take the survey for some reward, but the questions you're answering ARE the survey.

And then, a couple days ago Coursera puts up a stonewall front page to their site with new "privacy" terms whereby you can either agree to allow them to sell your info to third parties, or you can delete your account completely losing all work that you've paid for in time and money. It's extortion. They're holding your work and records for ransom until you pay through personal exploitation. Their customer service exists, and eventually may respond by email, but it's slow and curt if they ever get back to you. As to the quality of the platform, the interface for the platform has become more streamlined, while the content has become more watered down. Ultimately, Coursera's changes are legitimizing critics of MOOCs who said these platforms would prove unreliable, untrustworthy, and worthless.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I took a course in public health, an area in which I have considerable experience. The presentation was extremely biased ideologically and did not present evidence that was contrary to the authors' bias. From this experience I have to conclude that the education offered is very inadequate and I strongly advise against the school.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Started the course on Music Theory. I love learning. It makes me feel alive. Education is locked up for the rich. It’s crazy how in the US I’ve been prevented from doing anything educational unless I can get donations to pay tuition. I still owe student loans. It says it’s free but like Alison they give you a taste then it quits! So much for the concept of free education!

Resolution response: Dec. 2, 2019

Update, Coursera contacted and was able to refund the last 6 chargers (out of more than 12) for one of their courses. I appreciate that they did that yet I'm still very much concerned about their business model.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

This is not a review of the product offered by Coursera (which is inconsistent at best), but rather of the way in which they trap you. They keep charging you even after you cancel your subscription to a course. At least that is my experience. When I contact them they resorted to references to "terms of use" and "refund policy" even after I explain to them that I cancelled the subscription and that on my page it says that I have no current subscriptions.

They refunded me for one month as a one-time exception and then when I refused to accept one month, they refunded for additional months. I thought this nightmare ended, but I see now that they continued to charge me. Their customer service team is polite, but their policy is one that based on chicanery. If you care for your money, stay way from this company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I have taken courses with Coursera since its inception, and have been very enthusiastic about the Coursera concept. Recently though, in 2019, I took two more courses and was very disappointed, both with the quality of the courses, and with the greedy nature of Coursera's billing practices. Coursera's quality seems to have taken a nose-dive. And the company continues to bill you monthly even after you complete a course. I asked for a refund of fees they charged after my course was over, and they refused. It is so sad that I'm saying this ... stay away from Coursera! It has turned into a low-quality scam.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

My experience with Coursera wasn't a very pleasant one. First of all, after the 7-day trial period (in order to obtain which you need to provide your card or PayPal info) they take the money without any warning. So I would recommend anybody who wants to try, to give your PayPal account and then immediately delete the automatic payment option in PayPal (that is formed automatically also, by the way), otherwise on the 7th day without you knowing it, Coursera will charge you. Well, they charged me and I was ok with it, thinking that I will do the 4-month course, but after finishing 3 weeks of the 1st course, it got inactive despite the fact that I still had 2 more weeks to finish the last assignment. And it happened just like that, without any notifications, nada!

I tried to contact the Support Team, but they are uncontactable, when you go to the support page, where allegedly you can write a message to them, the system shows an error message - Ooops, this page no longer exists! So, according to their greedy logic, in order to be enrolled to the course again, I again need to take part one, I again need to pay for the part one and I again need to spend my time doing the same tasks. Wonderful. Coursera is really a stealing genius. This is the course they need to have - "How quickly and painlessly take money from the fools that want to learn something". Must add also that info on their new courses they send out punctually. This you always get opposed to the payment notifications.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Once I bought the course, they keep charging me every month 67$ without let me know. It was a big surprise for me to find out about this, so I have to file a dispute. They are stealing your money, don’t trust them!!

Original review: July 19, 2019

When I joined Coursera (2012), it was a free website where you could attend courses and get a basic certificate FOR FREE. You had the payment option, where the certificate would be official, with ID verification, but you also had the basic certificate you could download and print just to attest you had attended. Any workshop I attend, lectures, everything, in person, free to attend, will provide a printed certificate. But a freaking online allegedly free service won't provide me with something I can print saying I spent some time looking at it (even if I decide to name myself Queen Daenerys in it). If I just want to look at content and have nothing to show for it, I can watch YouTube and skip the waiting periods and evaluations. From what I gather with other reviewers, the paid options are even worse... I loved Coursera and actually recommended it to a lot of people over the years. So sorry, guys.

Original review: July 14, 2019

It is very sad to see how something great turns into something so close to a scam. I followed Coursera for over a decade. I used both free (when they were still free) and paid options. My latest experience feels like a total scam. I subscribed for a specialization that I was willing to pay the monthly subscription cost. The first week was the elementary material for someone from like myself, who works in the industry. However, the course author (IBM) and the syllabus looked very promising. First week's assignment was to submit an empty text file (a bit weird, right?). Other weeks require programming assignment submissions in the form of a Python program file.

Here is what the most interesting part starts: After your first week you paid the subscription, that I was totally ok with (I was committed to completing the specialization, as I did more than once in the past). However, the 2nd and 3rd-week assignments were graded at 0 points, and very general feedback provided suggesting check the forum. On the forum, I suddenly found several people facing the same issue without any support from the course author or Coursera. The non-refund policy for a course with trial got me mad. I can't complete the course, and I already paid for it and can't get my money back. All of this doesn't feel very right. I don't mind paying for the quality product (under specific circumstance for any quality product), but in this case, I got nothing. Regardless of how the refund request goes, it creates a very unpleasant experience. At this point, I would recommend staying away, and I can't believe I am the one saying it. So sad.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Signed up for a week trial, thought it was a month because I was recommended by an old post that showed 1 month trial at the time. Tried to get a refund, good luck getting a refund from this garbage company. Worst support I've ever dealt with. They absolutely refuse to give any refund.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Nowhere was told that the payment for course can expire - not on receipt, not in email or notification. Returned to the study when was comfortable for me, but at final exam saw - that Coursera offers me to pay for Certificate. I mad especially this Course to obtain Certification. As a result, they invented some expiration date for payment - even if you are still on your study! And additionally I've helped this platform with free translations to help the student (and of course, they dont pay translators). The worst platform I saw (however, with good courses, I will write to those Universities about case how they participate in such affair with no consciousness for bad reputation) - as a Customer I lost money and a lot of time for nothing - and no one to contact directly to renew my Certificate which I can use and for which it was paid for. Stealing money.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Coursera. I have loved the learning I have been able to do and look forward to taking many more classes with them. I have always been interested in Psychology and Coursera has given me the chance to take the classes that really interest me. I don't understand the reviews with low ratings. I have never had any problems with them.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Awful way to get certified online. They don't give refunds unless you cancel your subscription and that is only for a month at best. They force you to cancel or continue to charge you monthly when their labs always have errors that prevent you from finishing on time. Very shady, a shame I wanted a solid certification and it had to end like this 200 down the drain. I see a lawsuit on the horizon against them.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I've submitted a cancellation request more than once and they keep charging my card. I'm submitting a complaint to my credit card company and hope they can help me reverse the charges. The content was ok, just don't need to spend $85 a month - that's how they really make money, just keep draining their customers' accounts.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was interested in a Coursera course and, for trying it, I gave them my credit card information. They offer you 7 days for free, and if you unsubscribe, they won't charge you for it. In my case, I would have started to pay the 29th April, but I unsubscribed the 27th April, double checking that there wasn't any active subscription left (which there wasn't). But to my surprise, the 29th April they charged me with a month subscription! If I enter my payings and subscriptions page, it says that I have never made a payment and I don't have active subscription (which I know, because I had cancelled it, but now I fear they will still charge me for it the next month).

Now I am trying to ask for a refund, but I doubt I will get it. It's already been hard to find a place where I could send a message to the support team! Considered I can't talk about the course, it seemed interesting but I changed my mind because I wouldn't have time to complete it. However, the customer service seems quite poor and these techniques they also seem to be using with other people seem quite untrustworthy. For those reasons, I wouldn't recommend Coursera to others. And I would suggest anyone not to give them their credit card number.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I was fortunate enough to get a good teacher who valued that each person learned different and gave the one on one communication that was necessary. Throughout the 6 weeks of study the teacher made pre-videos to break down information in powerpoints as well as visually trying to draw out what he meant when it came to new vocabulary and understanding. He was great. Not only did we have access to him in an E-mail but also the other students in the classes for somewhat of an online group study. I think all the classes just depend on the teacher because the one I joined has an agenda and all tests were a review of what we’d done. It just included taking many notes for the questions were made to make you think.

Coursera Company Information