Call toll free
4.80/5
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Oklahoma Residents Only. Epic Charter Schools is a free, public, online charter school for grades Pre-K through 12th. We are fully accredited and our teachers are all certified by the state of Oklahoma. Our teachers will work hand-in-hand with the parents in order to develop a customized learning plan for the student. Epic offers a variety of programs, such as, One on One, and, Epic Blended Learning Center. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more about our programs!

84 Epic Charter Schools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 8, 2018

My children were not happy at school. A couple of my daughter's friend were already going in Epic and they were happy with it. Everybody was responsive and helpful and they did everything that we needed. I have a K-8 and a high school student enrolled and we've been very happy with the curriculum that we picked.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 7, 2018

I'm a school teacher and we send our kids to the academy, which is a blended model, two days a week. We're also utilizing Epic for other services. I heard about Epic's inception from my best friend. It's a private school and there's not one curriculum but as long as parents are actively engaged, things should be fine. Enrolling there was easy as it was all online and so far, I'm satisfied with them. In fact, I already have friends who enrolled based on what I've said like what the school has to offer and how it has worked for us.

Original review: July 6, 2018

For our younger kids, we put them into a normal elementary school but for our middle school aged children, it didn't seem to be the best thing to throw them into the middle of a public middle school where they have absolutely no connection. And so, we enrolled them in an online school. We did most of it online and then had to go by the office for dropping off documents. Everything has been cool and simple with the office staff at Epic and Sarah, our teacher, has been great. Our oldest has been in Compass but we're going to Plato for both next year.

We've done our state sides in different states in different schools in different programs and a lot of times, there's an assumption that people that are coming in are either from the area or have some idea of what's going on and so, information isn't always as forthcoming as it could be. Epic seems to be way better about that than the local public schools and we appreciate that and the email communication and updates on what's going on with Epic. There could be a better explanation of what the learning fund is and how that's to be used, which shows up with a local Facebook group for Epic as well.

We had some people looking at Epic as the kids were transitioning out of 6th grade and they knew that the public middle school is not really a good option for students who are seeking to excel. But what we have discovered is even with our kids that are more motivated, that it still requires quite a bit of parent interactions, which we've done homeschooling before so that's not a horrible thing but our jobs are such that we are able to do that. If the parents are not in the place where they are able to actually invest daily in the kid’s education, then online school in general may not be for them. But there are maybe some curricula that are delivered online that are meant to be more comprehensive. And so, if they're not able to be daily involved, this might not be the way to go. But we’re pleased with the quality of education at Epic and they're definitely worthwhile.

Original review: July 5, 2018

We were homeschooling on our own. We thought that the freedom of homeschooling would give us a little bit more accountability. We tried a school but it was a little too rigid. And it was the first one here in our state, so we got into the bureaucracy of it all, got caught up in that and so they had a lot of other things that died down since then. It left a bad taste in our mouth so I wanted to find something. Also, my daughter and my son both have different learning styles. With the first one, we were not able to really tailor the curriculum to fit both of their styles. So my daughter, even though she came from the other program, came straight into another program very similar and she did well. And my son, we've been able to adapt him to something that better suits his needs. So that was the positive thing for me with Epic.

The teachers are very approachable as well, and they're very good at getting back at me and giving me information. However, my biggest concern with these interactions with the school is when you go beyond the teacher. Also, the counselors are not very knowledgeable as far as getting information to you about requirements. I have a daughter and she graduated this year. My daughter ended up as a 12th grader taking 8th grade math because of some error from the first school.

And just through my own research, I feel that some of the counselors are like reception staff that has been promoted to that position. If they have better staff as far as the counselors go, especially when you'd talk to children that are trying to go to college, it would be beneficial. But other than that, everyone’s personable and professional. Everyone works really hard as well. When I talk to them about anything, I get responses. The enrollment process was really easy too. I submitted everything online and it was a pretty simple process.

The learning experience has been good too. You can change curriculums every year, which is a plus, but it also has some negative when you're changing curriculum every year. It's up to your own accord because you'd have to do that. I like having the teacher because then with the other school, you had a teacher assigned to you but it was just a different experience. It wasn’t that one on one quality like I could meet with this teacher, and she could see my kids, and she could evaluate my child with me. My children homeschooled their whole lives, there are certain things that they're just not used to. So I was worried about whether or not they were reading, if they were on par or not meeting certain things and just having the teacher there really helps ease that worry and concern. So the quality of the education is good or I wouldn't re-enroll.

Original review: July 4, 2018

My son was not being challenged enough at school so we chose to enroll in online schooling plus, one of my other kids was on an online course for K-12. My son joined Epic in the middle of the school year but he had to wait a couple of weeks before he started because of the enrollment process but as soon as it was rolling, it went smoothly. State testing day was great and the staff were all friendly and fantastic, and the teacher was wonderful. After I sent my application to Epic, they were not super clear on what my next steps would be so I called the offices to find out. And the person who answered the phone was kinda short with me such that I should know what I was asking her. Other than that, everything else was fine.

My son did Compass and the quality of education was okay. But he had to do summer school which was weird for me because it's something I've never experienced. Also, he got A's and B's in every subject so the fact that he's having to do some summer stuff is kinda frustrating. They said it was based on state testing. I’m not a fan of it. I believe in the program but people should do their research and make sure that it's gonna fit their student, and be very clear as to what their expectations are. My son’s teacher does everything based on the curriculum and Study Island, but his friend's teacher did 90% of the grades from Study Island and they had projects and reports they had to turn in. And so, there's no consistency across the board.

Getting in with that teacher and feeling out if what that teacher is doing is good. Right now, you just get to see a teacher and what they specialize in but you don't get to see the way they're teaching. We happened to get with one teacher that doesn't meet with group, whereas, he might have done better with the teacher that met with group a little bit. It could be broken down a lot better for us and be more customized towards the parent because if I could have looked at a list of teachers that were in my area and seen that teacher A does group teaching along with Study Island and curriculum, or teacher B does no group teaching, but only does curriculum, I could see what they do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epic Charter Schools?

Original review: July 3, 2018

My daughter was experiencing a lot of bullying in school. Then I had talked to other people that had a good experience with Epic, so I just thought I would go with them. Enrolling with them was straightforward. However, it was also a little tricky because of some experience that she had. She had like partial credit, and it was a little bit unclear which classes she needed to take. But, it was just a new process and it was fine. My daughter loves her teacher, so that has been great. Before, she was passing out at school, like panic attacks, and it was horrible. She was missing so much school just for medical reasons because she was having so much anxiety with bullying. She was depressed. So, for us, going with Epic has been amazing. My daughter has flourished, not actually going to regular school.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I work full-time so doing online classes was my best option. Epic goes at my own pace so it works with my schedule best. I also did K12 a few years back and Epic is a little bit more independent for people who need the independence, but one has the option to not be so independent and have more help. I have the option to do it on my own, which I appreciated. The enrollment process was very easy for me personally because all of my information including track records and birth certificates was sent over from K12 to Epic, so I didn't have to do much but inquiring and filling out the enrollment forms. It took less than a week to get everything done and set up.

I'm taking Plato and I have had no problems with the Epic school instructors. They get back to me usually right away. They are really knowledgeable so they help me with about anything that I need help with. The quality of education in Epic is a little bit better than being in a brick and mortar for the simple fact that I can review all of the material. It's always in front of my face if I need to go back and look at it as compared to where I have to cram it all in my brain and then hope that I remember it. So the quality is perfect for me.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I have been home schooling for years and we’re military so we have been in a different state and so I wanted to see what it was about. I also have some friends who were doing it and while I have the opportunity since I’m in a state that has it, I tried Epic. I went online to enroll and the teacher contacted me so I didn’t have any issues and I never had to leave my home to do anything. It was great.

The teachers were very kind and supportive of homeschooling which is a plus for me. I love that they still have the mindset that “I still want to be the teacher.” They were friendly but very much wanting my kids to excel in learning and wanting it to be geared towards where they’re at in the different stages of different subjects. One of my kids is excited about it and I have another one who looks at it as extra work but that’s just personality wise. Especially since they’re children. Last year, I only got a little bit of it and I liked it. This year, I’m excited to dive more into Epic to see the curriculum we’ve picked out and to immerse ourselves in it. I am doing a complete change of how we homeschooled in the past so, this will be eye opening for me.

Original review: June 29, 2018

My son went to home school and the homeschool coordinator for his basketball team recommended Epic Charter School for online schooling. The enrollment process with Epic was fairly easy and his tutor was wonderful. He did Odyssey and another subject, and he really enjoyed it. The quality of education is good too. So, try out Epic Charter School for yourself.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have two different children that attend Epic. The first one is my older one that just graduated last year. My younger son, who is 11, is on the autism spectrum and we were having difficulties in school with the two people that were helping him, and we were also getting ready to transition to middle school. As a parent, I wasn’t ready for that so I chose to bring him home for that reason and it went really well. As far as my older son, Epic helped him because of the way it's structured. It lets you do things at your own time and pace, and that helped him be successful and be able to graduate this year. Otherwise, he wouldn't have graduated on time in a regular brick and mortar ‘cause he got anxiety and it was too hard. At Epic, he could stay up until four o’clock in the morning to do school work if he wanted, and that flexibility was really good for him.

As for my younger son, it was like a light switch went off. He was having a meltdown every single day at school and I was getting phone call after phone call saying, “Come and help us calm down your child.” It got as bad as him peeing on the floor at school. Since bringing him home, we haven’t had that. We get a little frustrated but when I see that he’s getting frustrated, it gives me the opportunity to say, “We’ll come back to this later. Let’s take a walk around the house or go outside for couple of minutes.” I’ve also realized that we’re really behind, which I didn’t realize how far when we were in brick and mortar. Epic gives us the chance to get him back up to speed with everybody else his age. When he was in brick and mortar, he would have meltdowns and then the school wouldn’t give him school work because he didn’t function enough to get the school work done. Now he can function well and he can get the work done.

Also, the teachers we have had are great. I had Adam before and he was really good with my older son. The main reason my older son graduated was because of the encouragement that he received from Adam. Adam even took the time to explain to my son what my son's future was gonna look like if he didn’t complete this. Kim is my other teacher with my kid on spectrum and she’s knowledgeable with autistic kids. She's also friendly and easy going. She works really well with my younger son and gives him time to do things. The other cool thing is she can manipulate things. If there's a science experiment to do and my son's really having a hard time, she can go in and say, “We’re not gonna do this science experiment this time and we’ll catch up next time.”

I’ve been to the Epic office a couple of times and the secretary there is always very pleasant and nice every time I come in. She’s always really happy so she’s very friendly. The initial enrollment was done online and it was a step-by-step process, which was fairly simple for us. I’ve already been telling friends about them.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We don’t have a good middle school in our area and a friend of mine recommended Epic. Her son did it and was happy with it. The enrollment was all online and it wasn't difficult at all. The main program my son uses is the Odysseyware and he likes it. He's gonna continue it next year. I feel comfortable with Epic. Any time I’ve ever had any kind of concerns or thought about adding something, his teacher has always been available to do that. So I like that we can cater to what he needs. I had to call tech support about the laptop once and they were pretty helpful as well. We're pretty happy with it so far. It’s so easy to customize your child’s needs. It’s not just cut and dried standard -- it’s flexible and easy for everyone.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My kid has behavioral problems and she’s a transgender going to a he. She was being bullied so Epic Charter Schools was a good option at the time. My older son was in it also. Both of them are with Adam and he is an awesome teacher. The only issue I have is when you have a teacher in front of you, you’re more motivated to do things. I go to work, come back, and I realize that my kids haven’t touched their homework after a couple of days. And if your kid is not self-motivated then Epic is not the thing for them. But my ex-husband’s wife’s son graduated from Epic so it’s possible for it to be a good idea if you have a self-motivated kid. Still, we’ll try again and make sure my daughter passes. I just wish there were more ways to make the problem kids that are unmotivated to do something at least once a week, like mandatory get together with the teacher.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have home schooled for years and my oldest son did high school through Epic Charter Schools. We continued because we really liked the teacher that we had and it will be additional help. Adam was my older son’s teacher up until he became principal. He was also my youngest son’s teacher and he was very personable, knowledgeable and amazing. There were some unnecessary things in the health curriculum but other than that, I’m happy with them and the experience has been good.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We liked the flexibility of curriculums at Epic Charter Schools and their staff has been great for the most part. Enrolling was pretty easy and I just filled out all the information online. We use two different curriculums and one of them is Compass Odyssey which is the one that I always choose for the younger children just because it has more entertainment. It looks more like gaming for them which they love. Thereafter, we move to Odysseyware which is more rigorous and educational. While we've had one conflict with the teacher, we've changed teachers already and other than that, interacting with their staff has been really good. I recommend Epic Charter.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My daughter was struggling at school with her peers and was having anxiety. I looked at other online schools and it wasn't user friendly. I went through Mid-Del, trying to figure out something and they had basically blew me off like, "We don't do that anymore," because I was asking them about homeschooling. I kind of got discouraged and then I found out about Epic. The wife of my boss works there and he had a lot of information about it so I thought we would try them. And so far it's been great.

I was surprised at how simple the enrollment process was. I called and they gave me the information. I went online and enrolled. And once that process was done, they emailed me. And then I got my daughter a laptop. She is enrolled in the Plato program. I can see a positive difference in her in the last six months. She's learning a lot and I try to interact with her as much as I can and get online to look and see what she was doing. And it seems like she's doing really well. She made really good grades. My daughter's teacher has also been amazing. If I had a question, I can text or call him and he's always been available and always willing to meet with us or answer questions.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We had issues with our kids being bullied pretty badly. After doing a lot of researching, talking to different people, we chose Epic Charter. So far, it works great for us. I like being able to make time with the kids. Epic also works with you really well on what you want the curriculum to be like for the kids, and there are a lot of different choices or programs you can use. Their teachers have always been awesome as well. And the curriculum that we're using now is a lot better than the one last year. Epic is a good choice.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My oldest son is disabled with an emotional disability, so it makes it really hard for him to get along in a traditional school. He has ADHD and PTSD and so his outbursts can be violent sometimes even though he's on medication for that. And so online schooling is a good option for me because I like to keep my eldest son underneath the same roof, so I can keep an eye on him and make sure that he doesn’t try to hurt anybody.

I saw that Epic had a pretty good track record so I decided to give it a try for a year. The accredited teacher is really great with him. She's able to handle him whenever she does in person. She comes once every two weeks, and she's really good at working with him. And not only that, but I can sit down with him, help him with his schoolwork online, and help him understand that. I like that, as a parent, I am able to focus a lot of my attention on my child and what he needs, so instead of being in a classroom of 23 with one teacher, it's more individualized. Epic's curriculum is also comprehensive and they've been doing really great. I would recommend Epic, especially if your child needs more specialized attention.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My neighbor is one of the teachers for Epic Charter Schools and she has talked about it for a couple of years. And then just I'm visiting with her, she helped clarify a lot of the things that I had questions about and we decided to give it a try. I was interested in some of the options to supplement what I was doing with another teacher and some options to help pay for different tutoring, and to have our teacher help with some struggle areas that my kids were having.

We did online enrollment and it was easy. Last year would have been our second year to re-enroll so most of our information was saved. Then this past February 1, I did it again for this coming year and it was quick and easy. The first year, I know you had to have some of the copies of shot records and things like that but that's pretty standard for any school enrollment.

We interacted with Julie, our teacher, on a weekly basis and she has been amazing. If we don't talk weekly, we always see just the different Epic teachers when we do the standardized testing and they are friendly and welcoming to the kids. Julie has gone above and beyond to help my daughter, especially in Math. She has even had put some of her own time into it above what she's probably paid for. She has really wanted to see success for my daughter and we're not just another student off her list, and I felt that way about any interaction we've had with the teachers. I've really been pleased with the teachers and the faculty of Epic.

We did some of the classes that they offered for the study island tutoring. This year, my daughter did them online through Google Hangouts so there were some different teachers that we wouldn't have normally interacted with and they were really helpful too. That was a great alternative because my oldest daughter is in sixth grade. We did some of the Google Hangouts for sixth grade Math and the lady that had done that was a Math teacher who was really helpful and great with strategies. And then our teacher has been great in any subject area we needed help with.

However, I've been very frustrated with their slowness in paying vendors. When you file something for your learning fund, a vendor sends in an invoice. They have a 30-day window of reimbursing that vendor. It's frustrating from the parent's side because they are slow to pay for a service that we have already had, and then they wait until the 29th or the 30th day to put that check in the mail every single time. That reflects poorly on us, the Epic people as a whole. It doesn't encourage people to want to be Epic vendors because, "Oh well, I'm not gonna get paid for a month out at least."

I understand at the beginning of the year, "Hey, we have a new influx of students. It may take us a while to get your invoices". But it has been that case every time consistently for two years. It didn't have anything to do with me but it reflects poorly to me when I'm having to say to the tutor or the piano teacher, "I'm so sorry you haven't been paid yet for your services. It's coming." If there's anything they could do to make that more efficient, it would encourage people to want to be Epic vendors. Other than that, it's been a great experience. I recommend Epic quite a bit to people and answered a lot of questions about it.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have cancer, and I needed some additional help. I still wanted my children with me, and I had quite a few friends who used Epic and were pleased with it so that was why I chose it. So far, the experience has been very good. They're consistent and I like the teachers that we have. I have two middle school boys, and then I have a high school student, so I've had three teachers this year, and I was very pleased with them. I've been homeschooling for 10 years, so I had a lot of homeschooling materials. And then we used some of Epic's things - just a combination and I just like it. Some things are better than others, and I like some of the things that I had better. And they were flexible in what I did and I appreciated that. I suggest Epic to a lot of people.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I like the thought of homeschooling my children but I wanted some accountability and I didn't want to be in charge of record keeping. I liked EPIC's cost so I decided to enroll my kids with them. I did the enrollment online and I had to supply the birth certificates for the first time I enrolled my kids but the process was very easy. The teacher we got has taken care of everything for me and she has been fabulous. Right now, I chose to do offline schooling for my children and it's all about Reading, Spelling, Spectrum Math, and Science. We also made some modifications with their teacher and we'd be doing other curricula next year.

My kids really like going to EPIC and I think the education they're getting there is better than the one they'd get from a public school. I've recommended it to several friends and told them that if they wanna do homeschool, then they should do Epic because they will get a teacher to help with all those stuff that homeschoolers don't really want to deal with like the recording of the grades and having to do a lesson plan. I've also recommended my specific teacher because she's phenomenal.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was tired with fighting with the public schools. My grandson was being bullied in school. And I went to the school board and teachers, principals, and everybody else, and nobody would even offer the help or get it taken care of. So, the only thing that was out there to get was home schooling. And I knew it'd be safe there. Epic Charter Schools is much faster and more friendlier than other public schools. The enrollment process took a while. It took us a while to get all the information. But Epic offers quality education. And my grandson has been enrolled in Odysseyware for a long time. The only thing is that he's able to do things that I don't like, like he's able to do schooling and play games and videos. And that's different than in public schools.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Our son is very bright. His test scores started dropping in middle school and I thought it would be a better way for me to make sure of his habits. We're putting him in high school next year. He is a basketball player, and so we put him in online. We have two sons. One will stay in Epic and then one will go in high school. But I just wanted to make sure that he was up to his potential before he started high school because he's a bright student, and he should be able to handle the AP Courses now.

The other school's testing was done way away and its headquarters was in Eastern Oklahoma. And then, someone had talked to me about Epic Charter Schools and then I was able to visit with a parent that had Epic and they gave me the name of our current teacher to be able to talk to. Norman is a smaller community and I felt good about the one-on-one instruction from this particular teacher and then had been impressed since then. Our experience with Epic has been very pleasant because of her, Julie. She was very attentive to what my goals with our older son were. We have five children, and the first two are very high-achieving academically. And I knew this one was a different personality but he was very capable academically and she was very good in listening to me.

I don't like to be viewed as a helicopter mom over my kids. But when your kid's doing great and then all of a sudden, his national test scores dropped to 50 percentile, and he's always been up at the top, you know something is not quite right. And so, she listened to me with that. She was really good to help us achieve our goals. He's still a little behind in reading but he's in the 95th or 96th percentile on math. He has really excelled. If I didn't think the vocabulary, she would always run a good book to say, "Let's buy this with your learning funds," in areas that we didn't necessarily feel with that program that we bought that was up to where we needed to. She was always good to recommend extra material or to kinda cover that. She really was good at tailoring what we need.

We've gotten our son up there pretty well. However, I didn't like the tutoring for our kids. Epic may be paying those people by the hour, but it didn't seem like a very time efficient thing to do with all that typing. So, if my son needed extra tutoring, I would just either ask our high school son to help him or hire an outside tutor.

I have recommended Epic Charter Schools to my friend. She was considering homeschooling and had gone to a homeschooling convention but was overwhelmed with the amount of material and curricula to choose from. She's a busy woman, and she's just like, "I don't know that I can do that." And so, I said, "Well, here you have the best of both worlds. You have a certified teacher looking over what they're doing. And you can bring him home and make sure they're improving their study habits."

Original review: May 24, 2018

We enrolled my daughter in online schooling originally because she was being bullied at school physically, mentally, the whole bit. We worked with the school. We have no problem with that school and the teachers and the principal were great. It's just that we wanted to able to get the bullying under control. It was happening outside of class where teachers weren't seeing what's happening in bathrooms and places where the teachers weren't at - where they would catch if the teacher is not watching. My daughter was very broken down and had no self-esteem. We wanted to start over with her and build her up, so we looked into Epic.

I used to work for the Department of Human Services for Oklahoma and I had a home daycare that I went to and I knew that my friend Cammy had what I called homeschooled her kids. I asked her one day what program she uses and she told me about Epic. I did some research and then, that's when we got started. I have two more children now and my oldest son was still in a regular brick and mortar school when we took our daughter out. And then, my youngest daughter wasn't ready for school yet. She was just two or three. And we decided to go ahead and put my oldest son, Hunter, over into Epic because he wanted to get out of the public school where he was really bored.

He wanted to be challenged a little bit more. He would sit in class and just play on his phone. The teachers would give him the next day's work, but then he had that work done. So now, what does he do? He was so far ahead in everything. We decided to go ahead and pull him out and see if we could challenge him and learn a little bit more about organizing his time better and some of those skills that you don't gain in a regular brick and mortar school. He has done very well in it and has learned a lot. And then, my youngest daughter, just about the time that she started school, we actually didn't have any previous experience with her being in school. But my husband became a travel nurse, and we were gonna travel. So, now, we have all three of them in so we can travel.

We really enjoy the flexibility that we have with Epic. We can move forward and get everything done early and then go. We like to do road school now. We'll go around and we'll see historical sites. We went to Science Mill down in Texas while we were there and it was really neat. My kids are getting a better, well-rounded experience with school now.

In the beginning, we talked to some of the staff in the office and they were very helpful and informative. And then, we've had our teacher now for three years. We're losing her this year 'cause she's getting a promotion so we're very excited for her. We've only had her so we are a little nervous getting another one. But our old teacher said she knows her personally and thinks that it will be a good fit for our family, and I trust her. Everybody has been very nice, polite and very helpful over the phone. Everything has gone really smoothly for us, which is refreshing.

I was nervous about taking my child out of school and having her at home and, "Can I do this as a parent?" Because it's gonna be a lot more on me as a parent. I was worried about her and her social interactions and different things like that. I was thinking how more difficult this should probably be than what it really was. But it was so simple. And then, when we enrolled Hunter, I knew exactly what to expect so it was a lot easier enrolling him. And then with the third one I got online when it was time to enroll the kids and got her enrolled too. The first time the teacher came out to visit us, I gave her the shot record and that was it. It was a very easy and simple enrolment process. I overthought it in the very beginning and made myself more stressed out.

Epic should have had a brochure or something to explain and give some tips from other parents like what I had gotten from Cammy about, "Hey, the school might give some flak.," because that was the biggest thing. They were nosy. They were, "Well, what are you gonna do? You're taking your child out. Are you moving?" "No." "Well, where is she gonna go to school, then? 'Cause you live in our district. Is she transferring?" "No." "Well, where is she gonna go?" I told them Epic Charter Schools and they were like, "Oh, the online school. So, she's gonna go online and you think she's gonna get a better education." They were giving me a lot of flak about it. And I finally just said, "Listen, this is our decision. And this is what we're doing. And if doesn't work out, we'll be back. I enjoyed this school. This school was fine. It's just I'm doing what's best for my daughter."

So, I ended up signing their paper and walking out and then just ignoring everything else. But after that, I knew that was normal for the brick and mortar schools to be questioning about it and it would have been helpful for me to know that upfront from somebody. When I called in, they said, "Well, we'll assign you a teacher and the teacher will get ahold of you for your enrolment." And that was all I knew. I didn't know who the teacher was and when she was gonna call me. I didn't know how long to wait to expect the phone call. Was it a week? Two weeks? How long is my child gonna be out of school because it's the middle of the school year? What is she gonna miss?

But if they had an online video or brochure to help me as a new parent of Epic Charter, then that would have eased me a little bit more and known what to expect from the other school. This could happen. It may not happen. They may be supportive of you. And they may not be. But I knew what I was doing the second time and the third time so it wasn't that big of a deal.

The flexibility has really helped my kids because they are learning how to manage their time. They're learning how to adapt to our traveling. "Okay. We really wanna go to this certain park, but we gotta get our school work done first 'cause that's most important." "I need to get all of this done because next week, we're gonna be on the road, and I'm not gonna wanna to do school work next week. So, I need to get all of it done now." The biggest challenge for them with online school is the procrastination. I wanna do everything fun now and then do the school later, which is normal for kids. That's something that they don't get in regular public school. Because they just get told what to do. They're expected to do it right then and get it done. You hand it in tomorrow or next week and that's it.

But when there are other things that were happening in life and places you wanna go and things you wanna do and see, it's hard to put things off, those fun things off, until you get your responsibilities done. So my children are still learning their responsibility in being responsible and taking ownership of their future and their education a little bit more and have an active role in their own education, which is great for them. They're learning a lot more about real life skills than just two plus two, and they're learning more about life in general because they are spending more time with us and in life. They are in-life not in a brick and mortar school.

They're in life and learning a lot more and I was surprised about that. It was more of I thought we can probably sit our daughter in therapy because of all this stuff and it ended up we didn't have to because she just did so much better with Epic and we were able to as parents, grandparents, family and friends that surrounded her and built her up. We got her involved in a church youth group, where more and more of that youth group are like, "Man, I wish we could use the Epic school. And wish I could talk my parents into it because we could do so much more."

Everybody wants to do what we're doing now because of our kids. My daughter is 12 years old and I moved her up into the teen youth group because she is so much more advanced than in life skills and so much more mature than the other kids that are her age. She's doing phenomenally better than she would have in a brick and mortar.

The quality of the education is a little bit different from the brick and mortar schools. I was a teacher of Headstart and I did my internship at a brick and mortar public school and elementary and I can totally get it. Teachers in Oklahoma are so worried about keeping their job and making sure that all the kids pass the tests. They are test-based teaching, which I think we still do in Epic, but it's more of the to the lowest level in the class trying to bring them up to the highest level of the class. And with Epic, I'm able to see not where the average student is in her class, but where she actually is with the math testing and that's very helpful. Our teacher is really great about explaining exactly where they are in math. One of the big things that I did not realize when we started Kaley, the first one that we enrolled, my 12-year-old daughter, I had no idea she did not know her multiplication table.

I helped her with her homework. I helped her with all this stuff. But she had no idea about her multiplication table. How did she pass the fourth grade? I felt I didn't know exactly where she was in her education and I knew more about what the average class was and not her specifically. I'm a very active parent and I would go to the school. I volunteered at the school. I answered phones. I helped them do whatever they needed at the school as a parent volunteering. And I thought that I knew a lot about the education system and the education that she was receiving. But I had no idea that she didn't even know her multiplication table.

So, whenever we took the math test, then we could pinpoint the actual place. "Oh, look! Here she is in her multiplication. Look at that! That's the reason why her other scores are so low. Look at this. If she can't do this, how can she divide? Well, she can't multiply, how is she gonna do her fraction? How is she gonna do anything else?" We had to build her up from what she was learning in brick and mortar. And we had to catch her up where she really should have been in the first place. Had we kept her in brick and mortar school, she would have been failing math and that would have made her struggle in the rest of it. And then, the domino effect would have just taken effect. Not even sitting the social aspects in there and the bullying and all of that, but just on her education.

And with Hunter, I always knew he was smart. But this kid, without even trying, without studying, made a 26 on his SATs. And I was like, "Wow!" And he wants to take it again and try this time so he can see the benefits. When he went into high school, it was like all the gifted and talented stuff went out the window. He could pick some college level courses and all that kind of stuff, but that's all he could do. And taking him out has been even more of an eye-opener for him for his future, which is what the gifted and talented was supposed to be doing was to help him decide about college and careers and different things like that and explore and go different places on fieldtrips to go see different colleges and different areas of the colleges, especially OU. He didn't get any of that in the gifted and talented.

Now that he's out of the brick and mortar, he's having to take more of an active role in his own education. And he knows more about what SAT scores he needs for scholarship and even knew he needed to go register for selective service. As soon as he turned 18, he said, "Mom, help me. I need to get online and you need to help me get this. And I need to learn my social security number." And I was like, "Okay! Well, let's get this done, then." A regular high school student doesn't know any of that kind of stuff. You would have had to have told them. But he found that out on his own.

And as far as the actual learning goes, they're getting a deeper level knowledge than what they had in brick and mortar school because it's more customized to where they are at in their path of education and not what the lowest level student is in their class or the average level student of their class and that's because they can explore and learn more. And they have to master their skills in order to get a good grade. You have to prove that you mastered these skills and all the different curricula are great. Because one curriculum may not work for one child but be perfect for the next one. We can't do that in brick and mortar school. We've changed curricula for Hunter three or four times in three years and just now found the right one now for his senior year.

And Plato is really good for that because he is so smart, and he does not like doing the fluff work. He doesn't want to have to do work on things he already knows. He says it's a waste of his time. He wants to move on. So he's able to do the pretest on most of the subjects with that curriculum. He's able to test out of the things he already knows, but then move on and learn the new things that he didn't know. That has worked out really well for us and I'm gonna probably try Kaley on that next year 'cause she'll be moving up.

I constantly tell people about Epic Charter Schools. We live in a camper and we are constantly asked about what kind of school we do for our children. I have a website that I just started because we get so many questions about our lifestyle and the first posting that I put on my blog was how we do school and put a link to Epic Charter Schools. Everywhere I go, people ask us. I'm in Texas, Florida, Ada, Oklahoma and people were asking us. They're very interested. And they're looking for different ways especially in Oklahoma because of all the problems we have with our education. I just tell them, "Go to the website. It will explain it."

Original review: May 22, 2018

Online schooling was something that was familiar. I was homeschooled from fifth to twelfth grade so we were a homeschooling family before. I wanted to still be with my daughter and I wanted to be responsible for her education. I wanted her to have good use of her time and we felt like a lot of time is wasted at school. So we could make better use of our time here at the house. A friend at church had kids the same age so we were both looking into what we were gonna do and we talked about it. She had already done a lot of research and she said Epic Charter Schools had a lot of good reviews and that they were gonna try it. So we did the same.

I just went on Epic and clicked "enroll". Since my daughter was never in public school, I didn't have to worry about transferring records. I got the application approval a couple of days after submitting the application for enrollment. Also right away, I was contacted by her teacher and we met. She asked us what our needs were and what we would like out of that year. Aside from her, everybody that I ever talked to from Epic Charter has been really nice.

This year, my daughter's doing Accelerate which is her curriculum online and it's good. I really like that so far. There are a lot of videos which she liked but we've had a problem playing those sometimes. They're really slow in loading and that's been frustrating. Accelerate takes a lot of her time and I may be interested in looking at some different options next year. I'm also gonna talk to her teacher about the videos though and it may be just us.

Otherwise, we have an excellent teacher who's been with us since first grade. She's a very special person and we've grown to love her a lot. She's a very good communicator. I also had some dealings with other teachers who were helping out homeschooled kids in my church and mostly everyone has been really good communicators. Epic Charter is a great option for parents who want homeschooling and I've recommended it. We always give them high praises. My sister started this last year with her kids as well. Now all of our nieces are in it and we've been real happy with it.

Original review: May 20, 2018

We switched schools between last year and this year and when the kids finished, we found out that they were behind a grade level. So, we enrolled them in Epic to try to make sure that didn't happen again. We have some other friends that have done it and really liked it. I did the enrollment online and it was super easy. We enrolled two of my kids in a private school and chose the blended model option and so far, everyone's been amazing at Epic.

The teachers met with us at least once a month and if any of my kids were ever struggling, they met more often. They were able to meet us at a time and place that were convenient for me but most of the time, the teachers came to our house. We live in Goldsby which is about 12 miles outside of Norman and they still came to our house. They were also super helpful when our foster daughter was here because she was very behind in school. They laid out exactly what she needed to do each week to try to get caught up and she was doing it until she left. The program was really good.

Right now, I have a four-year-old that's gonna be five and she was in the ABCmouse. Then, my other child, Adison, was in a Study Island. The programs have been wonderful and we're doing it again next year. My daughter's scores in reading went up from the beginning of the year to now and we haven't done the math one yet but I know that it's gonna be better because she's doing her grade level of work on both Epic and in her new school. I would explain our experience with my friends and connect them with our teacher if they had more questions I couldn't answer.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I used to teach in public school where we used an online curriculum and went to home schooling to have a mix between the two. Epic was a nice mix and we liked the freedom of the learning fund. We also heard that there was great flexibility in choosing our curriculum. The teachers were great but the Special Ed department and the 504 Department are not well-organized and need some improvement. The enrollment is online and the process is easy. The curriculum changes every year and my son has finished a year. I have some friends who were enrolled in Epic and they felt like the education is not very good. But when I do with my kids, I think it's great. The quality varies teacher by teacher and you have to do more than the online education. If you were to just do the online curriculum, it wouldn't be very good. But then, if you were gonna just do the textbooks in the public school, it wouldn't be enough too.

Epic gets a bad rap for the test scores but they get a lot of the students that don't do well in their traditional schools and it's like any alternative school. It can't be compared apples to apples in the traditional schools and sometimes, people don't understand that. You don't usually get the students who are doing great in public school in Epic and the children who aren't doing well are the ones that parents pull out. There are lots of reasons why they're not doing well and sometimes, they do well in an alternative education. Sometimes, they don’t and it's hard to figure out what they need. They also aren't great test takers and test scores represent that. A community is rich because of lots of options for education and an online school may not be right for everyone but it worked for my children. I would tell people about the pros and cons of Epic. It's not great for everybody, but I'd tell them all of our experiences and I'd walk them through it.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My oldest daughter was in the process of graduating early and she has been working towards that goal since eighth grade with getting ahead and doing summer school. So last year,that she said she was wasting too much time at school and asked us if she could go ahead and try to get things done faster. My sister's daughter is doing Epic so we talked to her about it and looked at a couple other schools. When I looked at the K-12 program, they were not going to let my daughter graduate early and she would have had to lose every credit that she had gotten from eighth grade on. That was not the way we wanna go because she worked so hard for that. But Epic would have let her go on to graduate early. We also liked the fact that they gave money towards things that she needed or wanted to do, academically or outside of school. So, we ultimately chose Epic and I've been recommending them to a lot of people.

When we went to the testing up in the city, we got to meet Epic's staff and they seemed really nice. In fact, I personally know a lot of the teachers there because they were my kids' teachers growing up through school. The enrollment process with Epic was also fairly easy though I had to get all the documents, which was a little bit difficult.

But when we first enrolled, I did not realize and it was not communicated to me that as soon as my two daughters enrolled in Epic, they would automatically be dis-enrolled from the school they were going to. Both my daughters were in school at that time and they were about two weeks into the school year. After we enrolled them with Epic, they were gonna try to finish the week out and at least be able to tell their friends goodbye. But I got a call during the middle of the day one day and was told that I could pick up my children because they were enrolled with Epic and they couldn't be students there. So, I wish that could have been communicate a little bit better through Epic.

Right now, my oldest daughter is still enrolled in Epic and she will be on her 10th grade year. They've actually loaded more classes on her. She's skipping her junior year and she's half a credit shy of becoming a junior already. So, she's gonna get that extra half credit during the summer or in the next month or two, and that way she can be classified a senior when next year starts. She likes it really well there and her teacher's good. She communicates fast and is very friendly. My daughter worked ahead in a lot of her stuff so she can go at her own pace however she feels. But she has trouble with Math. The whole math homework helps but it's a very slow process. When she's working on one paper for Math, it might take two hours to do through tutoring. As for my other child, who is in 8th grade, she already finished and I've withdrawn her from Epic because she is going back to high school here in Norman.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I wanted more control over what the kids were doing so I decided to enroll them in online schooling. Epic Charter Schools is still a public school and so it kept with the same standards. We met their teachers before we enrolled the kids and they did a great job. They were very personable and knowledgeable. They visited us and answered all the questions we had. They helped us choose the curriculum that would be best for our children. Their main curriculum is Compass. Since enrolling, we haven't had issues with it and it works fine for our children.

The quality of education they provide is a little better than public schools because we could tailor it for each kid. If our kid is struggling, Epic Charter can take time to work with them instead of them getting lost in a crowd of kids. While Epic Charter is not for everybody, it works well. Still, it takes time with parents and they have to be involved with their kids. Still, we tell others it's a good deal.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We had been home-schooling traditionally. Since my daughter was a gymnast and Epic has an NCAA-approved curriculum, we started to do the online school with them. The enrollment was an online process and it was easy. After we were approved online, we submitted some documents to the teacher. My daughter's not doing gymnastics anymore, but all three of my kids are currently enrolled. We have a wonderful teacher who works with us and is always very helpful whenever something is not working. Two of my kids are using a curriculum called Edgenuity and it's really good. It seems more advanced than what public schools are doing. But the elementary, we've had a harder time finding a good curriculum, so we kind of pick and choose from different things for elementary. We have some flexibility in doing that as long as it meets the state requirement which the teacher makes sure of.

The only complaint that we have is that the school year starts after Labor Day which is kinda late. It's crammed all the curriculum in over shorter time than normal and it can be a little bit hard to keep up because of that. If you wanna take a Christmas break, the kids have to work over that because it's a condensed school year. They also have until Memorial Day to be done but Epic want them to get through it even earlier than that. So, it does cut quite a few weeks off of what the public schools do. Other than that, we're mostly happy with Epic.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have friends that did Epic and liked it and I wanted to homeschool anyway so I went ahead and tried it. The enrollment process was online so it’s something that I could do after the kids were in bed, I didn’t have to go and do it in person and it didn’t take that long. I had to submit records of my kid’s shots and birth certificate the first time I enrolled so I decided to find that and scan it in. But that’s not any different than it would be for a school. But being able to do that online and just scan it in and send it was nice and then I don’t have to provide that again since they already have it on file.

I homeschooled my oldest for kindergarten and first grade without using anything. I bought my own curriculum and did it with him. Currently, my oldest uses Compass and then uses other supplemental books but that’s his core online. My first grader uses Waterford as her core and my Pre-K uses ABCmouse. They’ve enjoyed them and they like it. Epic Charter Schools gave me additional support as well as giving my kids a teacher that’s different than me to hold them to deadlines and for it to not just always be coming from me.

I like having the teacher support and feedback to make sure that I’m not missing something or providing additional resources that I didn’t know about or wouldn’t have used. I also wouldn’t have done any kind of state testing because I didn’t know a lot about how to go about it on my own so it’s been nice being able to have that experience as well. I email the kid’s teacher and she usually responds either that day or within a couple days. I can also text her and she responds quickly. I love their quality of education and because of the uniqueness of what they are offering, you can tailor the education to the children’s interest and needs and so, if they need more help in one area, we are able to help in that area more and focus on that. Whereas in public schools, that’s not always the option.

Epic Charter Schools expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epic Charter Schools are free, public schools for students in Pre-K through 12th grade. It lets students complete their classes online, but it doesn’t require students spend a certain number of hours online each day. The school also hosts in-person activities, like field trips, prom and a graduation ceremony. In-person events usually take place in Oklahoma City.

• Accreditation: Epic is accredited through the Oklahoma State Department of Education. It meets the same criteria as all public schools in Oklahoma.

• Drivers Ed: Epic offers a Drivers Ed course to help students prepare for the exam needed to get a driver’s permit. After taking the course and getting their permit, students should be ready to start taking driving lessons on the road.

• Graduation: Epic holds a graduation ceremony each year, so students and their families can celebrate their accomplishment. The ceremony takes place in Oklahoma City, and students can bring as many guests as they’d like.

• Epic Meetups: Epic organized events where students can meet in person for educational activities. The events are usually open to students of all ages.

• Prom: Each year, Epic holds a prom for students in the 9th through the 12th grade. The prom is typically held in Oklahoma City.

• Best for: students with non-academic commitments and home-schooled students.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs