4.78/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Oklahoma Residents Only. Epic Charter Schools is a free, public, online charter school for grades Pre-K through 12th. We are fully accredited and our teachers are all certified by the state of Oklahoma. Our teachers will work hand-in-hand with the parents in order to develop a customized learning plan for the student. Epic offers a variety of programs, such as, One on One, and, Epic Blended Learning Center. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more about our programs!

Read More Read More
Last updated: May 22, 2018

60 Epic Charter Schools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

Online schooling was something that was familiar. I was homeschooled from fifth to twelfth grade so we were a homeschooling family before. I wanted to still be with my daughter and I wanted to be responsible for her education. I wanted her to have good use of her time and we felt like a lot of time is wasted at school. So we could make better use of our time here at the house. A friend at church had kids the same age so we were both looking into what we were gonna do and we talked about it. She had already done a lot of research and she said Epic Charter Schools had a lot of good reviews and that they were gonna try it. So we did the same.

I just went on Epic and clicked "enroll". Since my daughter was never in public school, I didn't have to worry about transferring records. I got the application approval a couple of days after submitting the application for enrollment. Also right away, I was contacted by her teacher and we met. She asked us what our needs were and what we would like out of that year. Aside from her, everybody that I ever talked to from Epic Charter has been really nice.

This year, my daughter's doing Accelerate which is her curriculum online and it's good. I really like that so far. There are a lot of videos which she liked but we've had a problem playing those sometimes. They're really slow in loading and that's been frustrating. Accelerate takes a lot of her time and I may be interested in looking at some different options next year. I'm also gonna talk to her teacher about the videos though and it may be just us.

Otherwise, we have an excellent teacher who's been with us since first grade. She's a very special person and we've grown to love her a lot. She's a very good communicator. I also had some dealings with other teachers who were helping out homeschooled kids in my church and mostly everyone has been really good communicators. Epic Charter is a great option for parents who want homeschooling and I've recommended it. We always give them high praises. My sister started this last year with her kids as well. Now all of our nieces are in it and we've been real happy with it.

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I used to teach in public school where we used an online curriculum and went to home schooling to have a mix between the two. Epic was a nice mix and we liked the freedom of the learning fund. We also heard that there was great flexibility in choosing our curriculum. The teachers were great but the Special Ed department and the 504 Department are not well-organized and need some improvement. The enrollment is online and the process is easy. The curriculum changes every year and my son has finished a year. I have some friends who were enrolled in Epic and they felt like the education is not very good. But when I do with my kids, I think it's great. The quality varies teacher by teacher and you have to do more than the online education. If you were to just do the online curriculum, it wouldn't be very good. But then, if you were gonna just do the textbooks in the public school, it wouldn't be enough too.

Epic gets a bad rap for the test scores but they get a lot of the students that don't do well in their traditional schools and it's like any alternative school. It can't be compared apples to apples in the traditional schools and sometimes, people don't understand that. You don't usually get the students who are doing great in public school in Epic and the children who aren't doing well are the ones that parents pull out. There are lots of reasons why they're not doing well and sometimes, they do well in an alternative education. Sometimes, they don’t and it's hard to figure out what they need. They also aren't great test takers and test scores represent that. A community is rich because of lots of options for education and an online school may not be right for everyone but it worked for my children. I would tell people about the pros and cons of Epic. It's not great for everybody, but I'd tell them all of our experiences and I'd walk them through it.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My oldest daughter was in the process of graduating early and she has been working towards that goal since eighth grade with getting ahead and doing summer school. So last year,that she said she was wasting too much time at school and asked us if she could go ahead and try to get things done faster. My sister's daughter is doing Epic so we talked to her about it and looked at a couple other schools. When I looked at the K-12 program, they were not going to let my daughter graduate early and she would have had to lose every credit that she had gotten from eighth grade on. That was not the way we wanna go because she worked so hard for that. But Epic would have let her go on to graduate early. We also liked the fact that they gave money towards things that she needed or wanted to do, academically or outside of school. So, we ultimately chose Epic and I've been recommending them to a lot of people.

When we went to the testing up in the city, we got to meet Epic's staff and they seemed really nice. In fact, I personally know a lot of the teachers there because they were my kids' teachers growing up through school. The enrollment process with Epic was also fairly easy though I had to get all the documents, which was a little bit difficult.

But when we first enrolled, I did not realize and it was not communicated to me that as soon as my two daughters enrolled in Epic, they would automatically be dis-enrolled from the school they were going to. Both my daughters were in school at that time and they were about two weeks into the school year. After we enrolled them with Epic, they were gonna try to finish the week out and at least be able to tell their friends goodbye. But I got a call during the middle of the day one day and was told that I could pick up my children because they were enrolled with Epic and they couldn't be students there. So, I wish that could have been communicate a little bit better through Epic.

Right now, my oldest daughter is still enrolled in Epic and she will be on her 10th grade year. They've actually loaded more classes on her. She's skipping her junior year and she's half a credit shy of becoming a junior already. So, she's gonna get that extra half credit during the summer or in the next month or two, and that way she can be classified a senior when next year starts. She likes it really well there and her teacher's good. She communicates fast and is very friendly. My daughter worked ahead in a lot of her stuff so she can go at her own pace however she feels. But she has trouble with Math. The whole math homework helps but it's a very slow process. When she's working on one paper for Math, it might take two hours to do through tutoring. As for my other child, who is in 8th grade, she already finished and I've withdrawn her from Epic because she is going back to high school here in Norman.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I wanted more control over what the kids were doing so I decided to enroll them in online schooling. Epic Charter Schools is still a public school and so it kept with the same standards. We met their teachers before we enrolled the kids and they did a great job. They were very personable and knowledgeable. They visited us and answered all the questions we had. They helped us choose the curriculum that would be best for our children. Their main curriculum is Compass. Since enrolling, we haven't had issues with it and it works fine for our children.

The quality of education they provide is a little better than public schools because we could tailor it for each kid. If our kid is struggling, Epic Charter can take time to work with them instead of them getting lost in a crowd of kids. While Epic Charter is not for everybody, it works well. Still, it takes time with parents and they have to be involved with their kids. Still, we tell others it's a good deal.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We had been home-schooling traditionally. Since my daughter was a gymnast and Epic has an NCAA-approved curriculum, we started to do the online school with them. The enrollment was an online process and it was easy. After we were approved online, we submitted some documents to the teacher. My daughter's not doing gymnastics anymore, but all three of my kids are currently enrolled. We have a wonderful teacher who works with us and is always very helpful whenever something is not working. Two of my kids are using a curriculum called Edgenuity and it's really good. It seems more advanced than what public schools are doing. But the elementary, we've had a harder time finding a good curriculum, so we kind of pick and choose from different things for elementary. We have some flexibility in doing that as long as it meets the state requirement which the teacher makes sure of.

The only complaint that we have is that the school year starts after Labor Day which is kinda late. It's crammed all the curriculum in over shorter time than normal and it can be a little bit hard to keep up because of that. If you wanna take a Christmas break, the kids have to work over that because it's a condensed school year. They also have until Memorial Day to be done but Epic want them to get through it even earlier than that. So, it does cut quite a few weeks off of what the public schools do. Other than that, we're mostly happy with Epic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epic Charter Schools?

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have friends that did Epic and liked it and I wanted to homeschool anyway so I went ahead and tried it. The enrollment process was online so it’s something that I could do after the kids were in bed, I didn’t have to go and do it in person and it didn’t take that long. I had to submit records of my kid’s shots and birth certificate the first time I enrolled so I decided to find that and scan it in. But that’s not any different than it would be for a school. But being able to do that online and just scan it in and send it was nice and then I don’t have to provide that again since they already have it on file.

I homeschooled my oldest for kindergarten and first grade without using anything. I bought my own curriculum and did it with him. Currently, my oldest uses Compass and then uses other supplemental books but that’s his core online. My first grader uses Waterford as her core and my Pre-K uses ABCmouse. They’ve enjoyed them and they like it. Epic Charter Schools gave me additional support as well as giving my kids a teacher that’s different than me to hold them to deadlines and for it to not just always be coming from me.

I like having the teacher support and feedback to make sure that I’m not missing something or providing additional resources that I didn’t know about or wouldn’t have used. I also wouldn’t have done any kind of state testing because I didn’t know a lot about how to go about it on my own so it’s been nice being able to have that experience as well. I email the kid’s teacher and she usually responds either that day or within a couple days. I can also text her and she responds quickly. I love their quality of education and because of the uniqueness of what they are offering, you can tailor the education to the children’s interest and needs and so, if they need more help in one area, we are able to help in that area more and focus on that. Whereas in public schools, that’s not always the option.

Original review: April 24, 2018

When our daughter came home after eighth grade, we left her with different options and she decided she wanted to go with the internet-based schooling. We had talked to a couple of different friends who liked Epic Charter Schools. And since we had tried K12 before and we weren’t happy with that one, we tried out the new one.

Laura is the teacher that we worked with the whole time. She has come out, met up with us and done one-on-one time. There have been a couple of times where she wasn’t as available as we wanted her to be to meet up but I know that we live a lot farther out away from the town than most people do. And any time that I’ve called in to or emailed the actual administrative office, they’ve been helpful. We have run into some technical difficulties and they’ve helped us through it.

There was also a math teacher in the Tulsa area that we were really impressed with. He name was Rachel and she was really helpful in some math problems that we had. We also have my son enrolled in Epic Math 2 and Laura has been the one helping him. She’s been doing pretty good helping him out. We’d like to see them be more accessible for one-on-ones but overall, they’ve all worked with us the way that they should.

My daughter specifically said that the language program was super hard to work through and she loves language. We did the French program and the curriculum wasn’t the same as her Apex program. And it was pretty difficult to work with even though we actually speak French. Language programs are hard to work with even with public school system but if Epic Charter Schools could make that an easier program, that would be good to see. My daughter just graduated high school so she had four years with them and I think the quality of education is great. We were really impressed with the level our daughter has been able to achieve so far.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I did not want my daughter in the traditional public school setting because my previous daughter that had just graduated had not done well. She had been going to Destiny Christian School and her grades were Cs, Ds and Fs. And she had stopped trying at all and I felt like that she needed something different. And we talked about it and she said she’d try a homeschool and see how she felt.

My concern was that she would lose her peer interactions but at the same time I felt like her peer interactions was part of the problem. So we decided to make a change because I needed something different for her but we just didn’t know for sure what. Epic Charter Schools is an accredited school that is recognized by the State of Oklahoma. I didn’t want to put her into something that was not recognized. She can get different things and have other doors open to her through Epic that she couldn’t have at other schools. I went online and I applied online and sent in everything they said to send in. And then they sent me emails that I was approved and I would hear back from them shortly and I did. It was a pretty simple process. She’s enrolled in all core subjects.

Her teacher came out and he set us up, showed us how to use the computer, explained the system to us and then he comes out once a month. I kind of wish that we could have him more often than we do once a month. Once a month for two hours is not great. My sister’s daughter goes to Epic as well and we live right next door so he’s able to come and do our schooling with the girls together. And so he stays two hours but he usually works with them kind of in tandem.

He’s a great math teacher and Jackie has been able to do her math better this year than she’s ever been able to do it. So, we feel like not as much time as we would like. But we knew going into it how much time we have. Now they offer where you can do Skype and do the teacher that way or you can go in this seminar where he’s teaching in a certain subject. But more one-on-one time would be nice. Also there’s not a lot of peer interaction and I wish there was more of that.

My daughter is very intelligent and very good. She just wasn’t challenged and she just was bored because she’s very smart. But now she has much more confidence. She’s now making As in everything except for her math, which is a high C, which I’m happy with. And then her Spanish is probably a B. She usually finishes her work well before the semester is over and then she concentrates on her math and her Spanish, which you’d think that she has to really spend a lot more time on.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This past year, we have moved our two younger students away from public school due to bullying in the school system and other issues with our Perry Public School System. They originally started out with not much of a class selection particularly for my high school student. My other son had tried K12 previously when he was in the 8th grade and we did not like that at all. And the fact that they had multiple teachers for each subject was too hard to keep up with. Because they required him to actually sit and do online video seminars at set hours of the day, and it did not work with us. However, we like Epic because a student has one teacher who takes care of all the class subjects. My lower students are on IEP and 504, and we have 2 separate teachers.

The enrollment process with Epic Charter Schools was really simple and I did online enrollment. For the first year, I got online, filled out the paperwork, then sent in the documentation that was requested. Then for the second year, I went on and did re-enrolment. And that's what I did again this year so I've already pre-enrolled my kids for next year. The high school counselor, Kenny, was wonderful in helping the students with their course work selections and directing them on what needed to be done. We've had really good luck with them. My daughter also does speech language and our interactions with Jordan have all been wonderful. They're real easy to work with and get along with.

My kids are finishing up their second year with Epic and it turned out really well for them. They were struggling with their computer course work, so one of them switched to a different computer program mid-year. And my dyslexic child, Lily does some of her work on the computer and answers through bookwork. We switched it up a little bit for her because being on the computer all day doesn't work well with her. Moreover, Epic also let us do outside activities and the kids can do swim lessons. My high school student said that we can also do college course work and enroll if they chose to do that or do Drivers Ed. Whereas with our public school system, they can't even do Drivers Ed through.

Other than friends and family, other people have asked me about how our experience and if I'd recommend it. We've done referrals to other friends and family members and I encourage them all to do that if they're not pleased with their public schools. And because of the process and the learning time, Epic lets them choose what curriculum they wanna go and what route they want to do.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We felt homeschooling would be a lot better than public school. Kids get some more one-on-one access that way and I like having the kids at home. It’s a little safer nowadays than in school. We had some friends who were using Epic Charter Schools and recommended it. My daughter's enrolled in all the basic subjects now and I’m really happy with all her online tutors. She was struggling big time with math but Laura has really helped her with that. She’s got several other tutors who have helped her a lot and whom she absolutely loves, and she tries to request them.

But I don’t even know if I should reenroll for this coming school year because I had a very difficult time enrolling her and I never could finish it. I could put everything in and I would get to the part to submit it but it wouldn’t actually let me click it on the site. It kept ticking me off. I don't know if it was my end but when I initially tried to enroll, it did the same thing. Her teacher was gonna go in and try to complete it for me though.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I wanted help and accountability as I embark on homeschooling three children. We got Epic Charter because we've used it before. I've spoken with their principal, special ed instructor and with my teacher. She's always checking in, making sure that everything is going well and I have everything I need to facilitate a good education for the kids.

We just enrolled online and answered and provided the required documents and information. My children were enrolled on a program called Compass and we use Study Island. And it has been good. I do a lot of stuff independent that I share the result of or their efforts with our teacher but I still have a lot of control over how I teach them. So in that regard the quality is great because I'm utilizing a lot of things that I already knew I liked. If you're looking for something with similar motivation then Epic Chapter would be a good fit for you.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I wanted to home school and I appreciate that Epic helps with the curriculum and with paying for it. My son is enrolled right now and we absolutely love it. I did the enrollment process all online and it was easy. I love that they have the testing. The teachers there take the time to coach and mentor, but I’ve been able to be hands-on with them. I wanted to home school but I also liked to have someone there if I had any questions, and the teacher’s been great. She has been very helpful and insightful in what curriculum to choose for my son, where I need to gauge on where he needs to be for this year. We recently moved from the Edmond, Oklahoma City area and I still have her, but she referred us to a Tulsa teacher so we requested that for this upcoming fall. But it’s been fantastic and he’s enjoyed it. It’s truly been an answered prayer.

My son is in kindergarten and this is his second year. He’s doing reading right now through All About Reading, a program they have. He also has Saxon Math and for his online schooling, he does Waterford. And I like that it’s only 15 minutes a day. We also have some online science and then phonics through Abeka. With Waterford, they have some things that are repetitive and can get boring for him, but that’s not often. It seems to adjust to his learning pace. Overall, Epic has been excellent so far. We’ve only been in it for two years, but I expect us to be able to continue with the stuff that they have. If we ever have questions, I know that they’re there for us so I’m not concerned at all with my children’s education.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I was being bullied at my public school, and so we decided to go with Epic because it worked better with my schedule at the time. My grandma's pastor's daughter did it as well and it was just better overall. Enrollment was different from enrolling with a public school, and I liked it better because they want to know how you are and how you would work as a student instead of just putting you in different classes like you would in a public school. And I like how they pick the pieces in how you are and how you work as a student, and they apply that to your classes.

I meet with my teacher once a month and he's pretty good. He's also really smart. When I have questions, I ask him and he helps me. Also, I love the classes at Epic. I’m taking English, math and science. And I am in PLATO, so that works better with me and how my brain works. They’re a little bit hard here and there but that’s normal for a high school student. I like how I can go at my own pace. I can go slow if I don’t understand the question or the lesson.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We enrolled with Epic Charter because of the ease of it. You do it online. You'll submit your papers and they'll contact you. And if they need anything else they'll ask you. When you're contacted, you go meet with your teacher and they do an assessment. I've used a different online school and I like Epic Charter a lot better because you have the teachers to help you with it. You have the one-on-one ability. They helped whenever we need them. Like if we have a problem with the question or anything, they're always there to answer. My children likes their curriculum this year. I feel like it's really good quality and I'm happy with my children’s education with it. So check their website out and enroll.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My daughter's classroom in public school was overcrowded and I didn't feel like she was getting enough one-on-one. Enrolling her at Epic was super easy. I just filled out the little questionnaire online. I met with her teacher and we went through ordering her books. I also gave her shot records and a copy of her birth certificate, and that was it. So far, she’s doing well and I can see a difference in her daily work and her regular grades. She does social studies, science, math and language arts. The teacher has her working with a grammar writing workbook and they focus on writing and English a lot more than what regular school does. The teacher's more focused on language arts, and she’s really good at that.

This being my first year, everything’s hectic with getting used to how it works and what’s expected of me and my daughter. Testing is going on now, so it gets a little stressful sometimes. But I’m gonna keep homeschooling her next year as long as it’s doing the job. I have family that also home-schools their children with Epic. I’ve talked my sister-in-law into homeschooling her daughter too.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I was already homeschooling and the idea of having the extra resources of the learning fun and a teacher to help is why I enrolled my children for online schooling. I have two children in second grade and one in pre-school. The enrollment process at Epic Charter was online, easy and user-friendly. I've had three different teachers at Epic Charter and all three of them have been great. I haven't had anything negative to say about any of them.

But the Compass program doesn’t seem very user-friendly. There's been some problems with like the grading. But the quality of education is good for whatever you want it to be. I'd prefer a more hands-off approach by the Epic teacher. I've been homeschooling for a while before I joined Epic and so I do a lot of supplemental education with them. But I do recommend it for my friends who are just starting homeschooling and aren’t really sure how to do it. It can be used for whatever you want it to be, like if you want more involvement or less involvement. I prefer less involvement so I wouldn’t say that Compass is a really high quality form of education but it's a good supplemental for what I need it for.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I really like the teacher that my son has at Epic Charter Schools. He’s very helpful and very patient. At the public school that he went to, the teachers are very rude. I had a PE teacher trying to correct me about how not to wipe my child’s mouth. They feel like they have to be very strict in every kid, but my son doesn’t really need it because I’m really patient working with him and very kind to him. But, they’re not like that with every student.

My son, Isaiah, needs more help. He needs to have a teacher sitting right next to him to break down on what he needs to learn on a subject like math or reading. I gave Epic a chance, and then I met my son's teacher and in the way that he’s teaching him, he gets it. In Math, I sit right next to Isaiah and watch him as he shows us how to do one and the tens and the hundred, and how to subtract the way it should be.

When I enrolled in Epic, the teacher helped me. It was very helpful. I made sure I got it done right the first time so I didn’t have to do it again. It’s very easy but just in case, he was there to help me enroll him. My son's taking Math and English now. And reading takes skills so he’s starting to really recognize the words because his teacher got him on reading aids for a while. He still needs help but he came a mighty long way with the reading. And with Math, I want to be very careful. Everybody has their way of subtracting, adding, and dividing. So I have to learn how my son learns and how he will learn how to do the math. I'm satisfied with Epic, and I will tell friends about it.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My son had a lot of bullying over at his school and at that time we had to put my son on a hospital so we made a decision to put him on a home school. Whenever we were in the high school they recommend Epic Charter. It was easy to sign up. We contacted his teacher and then she's been taking care of him since then. He's enrolled in the A Plus program and he's doing real well lately.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We’ve been struggling with teachers throughout that year. And there wasn’t a lot of items in the classroom for them to use. They were always having to cobble stuff together. I walked by my son’s math class, and he’s not a big one that goes and asks for help but he did with a particular problem. And instead of helping him, the teacher had given the answer and said, “There you go.” And that was the final straw. I then looked into online schooling.

We looked at Connections Academy, but we liked the flexibility that Epic Charter Schools had over them. My son does baseball so by doing a little bit more of flexible school instead of having hours that he has to sit at a computer between this hour and this hour, it was based on the number of completed assignments. So if he would have a baseball tournament on Thursday and Friday, he could work more ahead on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. That way, those two days were opened up. But yet, he still got his school work done. It's very nice.

Connections Academy seems more like a brick-and-mortar. With Epic, we’re doing a curriculum from Edgenuity this year. My son has trouble with math, and so instead of doing the online math through Edgenuity, we replaced it with math teaching textbooks which explain things more in a way that Kiel grasps versus most of the online stuff. The teacher has been a lot more flexible, “Okay. So this one’s not working. So let’s supplement with this and see if we get it understood that way.” Also, when we meet with his teacher, it’s just the teacher and my son. So it’s not like she’s having to corral a whole group of 25 kids and get them to understand a concept.

We’ve had the same teacher since we started, and we really like her. She seems really competent in everything. She’s had other students doing different curriculums including the one that we had been on which was GradPoint. But this was her first year with Edgenuity. And so she took the time to speak with other teachers who used it more and really get a good grasp on it. She doesn’t hesitate to say, “I’m not sure about that answer. Let me find out and I will get back with you.” And she always gets back with us. We love that she admits that she doesn’t know something.

Most teachers are, “Oh, no. It goes this way.” And if there’s not another option, then you run into problems. And that’s what we were doing. We were running into problems because they weren’t giving us any options. Kiel’s not a top of the line student but he’s also not one that needs a lot of help. He's a middle-of-the-road and he tends to get overlooked because he wasn’t comfortable going up and asking questions because it always seemed like he got kind of brushed aside to help a student who needed more help.

During the enrollment process with Epic, I went online and filled out a questionnaire. They asked what school he was coming from, what grade had he completed, what is the average income, and if we receive paid benefits. I submitted it. And then the teacher helped us walk through the different curriculum options. And the quality of education at Epic is so much better. I worked at the school that my son attended, and I could see the difference. And we took him out in-between fifth and sixth-grade year. We started his sixth grade at Epic. And looking at the first year when we were still trying to understand everything and getting our good patterns worked out, he probably learned more in that year than the students of brick-and-mortar did.

GradPoint was the first curriculum that we used. It was just more, “Here, read this.” So we changed from that. And now, we do the Edgenuity. And it has what we call talking teacher heads, videos of the teachers explaining something. So he kind of gets that. It was like personalized, and it feels like you’re talking to someone or somebody’s talking to you. And he follows along on PowerPoint slides as they work through the lessons. Overall, my son's more comfortable with it. The only thing he doesn’t like is he misses having kids around him. We make that up with going to friend’s houses. The baseball thing’s big and we’re getting into that more because the season’s starting. He grumps about it a little bit but at the same time, he’s not going to go back to a brick-and-mortar school unless it’s possibly a private school. I’ve recommended Epic to a couple of people, and one had taken her kids over.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We had an incident in our area. I was tired of the way the schools were disregarding stuff with everything that was happening with the school shootings. Plus, my children weren't doing as good in school. One of my friends uses Epic Charter and I talked to her about it. I decided to go with Epic too. The enrollment process was quick. I just filled everything out and got all my information to them. And within two days, they had approved it.

I have two kids enrolled in it. One's in the 7th Grade and one's in the 10th Grade. They're taking English, math, history. My 10th grade has five classes. He's taking two different histories because he's trying to get ahead, that way, he can graduate early. The kids seemed to be doing really well and the quality of education is wonderful. And anytime they have a problem or question, I've explained to them that they can ask for help and let their teacher know. They also had to go to NSU and do their state testings and it was all good.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I've had many friends who had had their kids in Epic, and they had recommended it for getting my kid the education he needed along with still having the ability to communicate, having a teacher, and then just the flexibility of the curriculum with the schedules and fitting around life a little bit more. My son went straight from public school and I was a little concerned initially because he came in in the middle of the year. But we had Mr. ** on it at the time and it was a seamless transition that went really good. We’ve had meetings for the summer stuff that Epic do and they've done one-on-one with him if he was struggling in any areas. They’ve been able to teach my son well enough that he can get through and he learns and understands. My son is currently on the Odyssey curriculum, and everything has been fine. I haven’t had any issues.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My son had a lot of social anxiety problems. I looked for online schooling, and Epic Charter Schools is better professionally. I have to go down to the Epic Charter Schools in Oklahoma City and enroll him. They explained what I needed to do, and the enrollment process was easy. I liked it. The teacher meets regularly with me. He also texts me regularly and lets me know where Adrian is. He is a very good teacher and is very professional. The quality of education at Epic is great. He learns everything he needs to.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We enrolled our daughter in an online school for the flexibility of schedule and Epic was a referral from someone else. The enrollment process is basically online form filling unlike the original enrollment years ago when we had to scan and send her transcript from the public school she was going to prior to that. She's currently a high school student at Epic and she's having an excellent experience. They're extremely professional and organized. She mainly deals with her assigned teacher and she handles any questions or details we want to find out about. So as far as interacting with administration she usually handles the communication to them. That's just been easiest way for us to handle it.

Original review: April 3, 2018

My daughter got tired of going to primary school and she wanted to enroll in online schooling. Somebody told me about Epic and I checked in on it, and before you know it, my daughter was already in it. Enrolling was pretty easy and fast. The hardest part was trying to get stuff from her school to transfer to Epic. Also, the staff is pretty nice. They call me every once in a while to have a conference talk on the phone, and the rep comes by every once in a while to drop something off, like a paper that my daughter has to do, or we meet her at the library. She's really on top of it. My daughter's in 11th grade and her experience has been good so far. She stays on her work, she gets it done and she tries to get ahead of everything. If she needs help, they help her out.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Me and my daughter both were having some medical issue at the time and we needed to have her enrolled in an online school to be able to have some flexibility. I just put a request on Facebook and many people recommended Epic. And when I contacted them the process was easy and I was very pleased with the enrollment. Plus their staff have been friendly and responsive. My daughter was having some problems with Math. And then we talked with her teacher and figured out another program so it went well. My daughter feels fine about the program. It has been a great experience for her.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Getting my kids into an online school is best for our family. My mom had started homeschooling my siblings and that introduced me to Epic Charter Schools. Their enrollment process was really easy. My three kids went to public school up until 5th Grade and then from 6th Grade and up, I've had them do homeschool, so they already have their records that were easy to get from the school and I sent those in. The first year in Epic was always tough for my kids because they were switching over to an online program versus having books right in front of them. But they're doing well. They're all in Apex. The testing is easy and the teachers are always helpful. They get the kids to the test if we can’t get them over there. I worked with Jennifer and she's just a fantastic teacher. Epic is better than public schools since students get more out of it and it prepares them for college. I've had several of my friends from work put their kids in Epic too.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Bullying in a public school systems just kind of suck nowadays. Teachers and principals don't follow discipline as it should be so I decided to enroll my child at an online school. We decided to go to Epic Charter for the freedom of my child's education. I, myself as a parent and my children can have more to say in their education. And they can go at their own pace.

The enrollment process was quick, easy and simple. Their staff was excellent! I even received a personal text from the principal himself. I've had two out of the three of my children in Epic. And the third one is already enrolled to go Epic next year. The two so far have absolutely loved it. I feel it's a lot better than public schools because they are most focused on their academics. Most Epic children go on to college because they are more focused on their future. I recommend Epic.

A lot of people and other parents that I've talked to have no idea about the money that the state pays each school that your child attends. And with Epic Charter Schools, the parents and their homeroom school teacher actually gets control over how that money is spent. Like with Epic, we do have to pay for like the Apex program that they used out of what they call Epic calls their Learning Funds. But that's the money that they received from the state for your child. So you pay for all the programs and the books and the calculators or whatever your child might need out of their Learning Fund. But above and beyond that, there's a lot of extracurricular Epic vendors as what they call them, where they can go and do art classes, piano, gymnastics, Karate and their Learning Fund pays for it.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I would rather teach and homeschool my own children than just leave them with people I don't know so I enrolled them at Epic Charter. I was mostly in contact with the teachers and we appreciate what they have been doing. I just went online and filled out the application to enroll them. One of my children was in the Apex program and one was in Odyssey.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We were already homeschooling and we liked its flexibility. We decided to move from homeschooling to online public school as my two older two got into harder courses going into high school, and we wanted to be assured that they were properly educated to be able to go to a college of their choice. We started off with another school, but we were unhappy with it. So we hopped to Epic.

My kids have had the same teacher during the time that we've been into Epic. Kristi is the most knowledgeable person I know as far as taking children from older middle school and making a game plan for them so that they are prepared for hard advance colleges or any school that they want to go to. And that they're prepared to be able to finish high school early, and get most of their courses out of the way so that they can even start college early as juniors and seniors in high school. I haven't seen a subject area that she wasn't knowledgeable with.

Re-enrolling the children each year has been a pretty quick and painless process. My son has been in middle school and also taking advanced academics, and my daughters have been in Apex. We're happy with Epic. The Epic classes have been challenging, especially English. My oldest seemed to have had a lot of Shakespeare poetry and that was extremely challenging for her. My daughters, who are junior and senior, have both been taking concurrent classes at the University of Central Oklahoma, and they've been successful in there. I attribute that to Kristi along with the Epic program.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My daughter has social anxiety and she wasn't doing as well she could have been in the big public school. I did some research and decided that Epic Charter was the best fit for her to enroll in. Their staff are professional and my daughter is doing very well. I was skeptical in the beginning but it exceeded my expectations.

Epic Charter Schools expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epic Charter Schools are free, public schools for students in Pre-K through 12th grade. It lets students complete their classes online, but it doesn’t require students spend a certain number of hours online each day. The school also hosts in-person activities, like field trips, prom and a graduation ceremony. In-person events usually take place in Oklahoma City.

• Accreditation: Epic is accredited through the Oklahoma State Department of Education. It meets the same criteria as all public schools in Oklahoma.

• Drivers Ed: Epic offers a Drivers Ed course to help students prepare for the exam needed to get a driver’s permit. After taking the course and getting their permit, students should be ready to start taking driving lessons on the road.

• Graduation: Epic holds a graduation ceremony each year, so students and their families can celebrate their accomplishment. The ceremony takes place in Oklahoma City, and students can bring as many guests as they’d like.

• Epic Meetups: Epic organized events where students can meet in person for educational activities. The events are usually open to students of all ages.

• Prom: Each year, Epic holds a prom for students in the 9th through the 12th grade. The prom is typically held in Oklahoma City.

• Best for: students with non-academic commitments and home-schooled students.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs