4.77/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Epic Charter Schools

Oklahoma Residents Only. Epic Charter Schools is a free, public, online charter school for grades Pre-K through 12th. We are fully accredited and our teachers are all certified by the state of Oklahoma. Our teachers will work hand-in-hand with the parents in order to develop a customized learning plan for the student. Epic offers a variety of programs, such as, One on One, and, Epic Blended Learning Center. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more about our programs!

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

128 Epic Charter Schools Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was home schooling before and I didn’t like having as many books around. I felt like online learning is the future and I've met a couple of people who were already doing it. They recommended Epic. So I looked over some of the K-12 stuff and Epic had more online. However, I like the other method of books because I have a little more control over them not like when doing it online, I don’t have control if something goes wrong.

But I do like that Epic covers a lot more videos integrated on the history inside which is really helpful to children, especially in those areas. And I like how you can do the answers online. But there's not enough teaching on the Math part. I went on it and I was doing the game that he had to do. It took two players to do the perimeter game but their instructions weren’t thorough enough. I couldn’t figure out how to play the game even though I knew how to find the perimeter. And so, it took us 30 minutes to get through it just to move on to the next step.

I also have ran into some inaccuracies which I don’t like that because the children are learning things wrong or they’re stuck, and then they couldn’t help it. For example, my son had a question and wanted to know the year of something. The video said 1907. 1906 was an option but there was no 1907. So, we chose 1906 and it said correct even though it wasn’t. So, there are things that needs tweaking.

Nevertheless, the teacher and the principal have always been good. Summer, our teacher, listens very well to what I have to say, tries to make it a win-win for everybody, and works with us. She keeps us up to date in the best that she could like emailing every week and telling us where everyone is. And if I have questions, I can always call her and she usually gets back to me quickly. I would recommend Epic. It’s a good program to enroll because you know what you’re getting into and if it’s the right fit for you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The public school where we are at is terrible. It's one of the lowest in the country, and my son wasn't learning anything. The class sizes are very large, and the kids are out of control. I looked at online schooling and I liked Epic's curriculum better than the others. I liked that I had access to a teacher anytime I needed one, and I liked that my son could get a hold of a real person for instructions instead of having to do it online.

My son had the same teachers since we started. This is our third year, and we love her teacher. My son was 13 when we started. Now, he's 16. So, it's kind of a weird spot with kids, and she's been very good at figuring out what will work for him at the time, and it's worked. At the public school, my son wasn't in any kind of a problem. He realized the other kids in the class weren't, so he quietly sat back in the back of the room and did whatever he wanted, except for schoolwork. And his teacher at Epic has managed to get to know him well enough to make learning interesting, so that he wants to do it. My son's in tenth grade and he's been in everything. He's doing SAT prep mainly, but he's also doing Geometry. The quality of education that Epic offers is absolutely wonderful. It's a wonderful program, and I'd suggest it to every one that would listen.

Get expert buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We really like Epic. We got our daughter enrolled there as we were having concerns about her peer group and a specific teacher from her school. She was coming home emotional almost every day. I have a family member who felt that they were having the same problems from the same school. And they were in Epic. I was also talking to other people, who thought that we should go to Epic, and so they advised and we gave it a try. We were told about a teacher named Ms. Sam and so I reached out to her. We did our face-to-face with them, and she told me all about the school. And I liked her, but I was picky kind of parent, and my daughter was in California. So, I needed to wait till she came back so she can meet with the teacher to see if she liked her.

When my daughter came back from California, we did a face-to-face, and she said that she wanted to give it a chance. She liked Sam too. So we gave it a try and since then, it’s been good. Enrolment wasn’t as cumbersome as I thought where we have to go and stand in line. We just brought everything to Sam and then faxed stuff over. Meeting Sam was a blessing. She is really understanding and encouraging. My daughter wants to graduate early, 16 and a half, and I don’t have to make her do her work like a regular brick-and-mortar school. The rule is to wake up, latest is 9:30, get dressed like in a school, and then log on. And she likes it. She just gets up, does what she needs to, and her grades are really good, she’s got A’s and B’s. So, I was like, “It’s just where’s Epic all this time?” School comes easy to her, so it’s not like she has to make an effort because she was in a gifted program.

I like the flexibility as well as the quality of education offered through Epic. They have a good curriculum and my daughter likes the way the spreadsheet is. The program works for her, and it seemed like things are happening. She can actually go through and work on things. We’re looking for more science hands-on activities though. Her passion is science, and those classes are the opportunities that I don’t want her to miss out on. She also wants to be able to enjoy other activities, specifically to go to prom. And I’d really like it for the kids to have more sociable interaction.

We have opportunities outside but I think my daughter was just looking to connect with individuals that are going to Epic. I think she would have a perfect world if she was able to get some students from Epic and then just hang out. Other than that, we're happy with Epic. I’d recommend it. And I would recommend Sam for everybody. My daughter also raves about the tutor, Daniel. She really loved him.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have homeschooled my kids since they were born and did it all on my own. However, with having five kids, became a little overwhelming for me, so we enlisted the help of Epic Charter Schools. We had friends that were involved in Epic and they gave it high reviews. The enrollment process was mainly sitting down with a computer system and the teacher, answering questions, filling out information to help the teacher better understand where our kids were, and also talking together about goals and agreeing with the teacher. The questions were mainly personal and there was a one-on-one questioning with the teacher and online questions.

Though we haven't had a whole lot of interactions with the teachers at Epic except on testing days, working with them has been a really good experience. The teacher is very personable. She works very closely with the kids’ learning styles and makes adjustments whenever needed. She really helps my kids make the adjustment into a more structured school system and to succeed. My kids are doing a more individualized path, a different curriculum that works well for them, and they are in age-appropriate classes. I believe they are getting an excellent education.

Last year, one of my sons was having a lot of trouble and we ended up going through some testing and determined that he had some special needs, so we changed teachers. The whole process has been wonderful. They have really worked with us and the new teacher is a better fit for him, and the program is working really well. I really value this opportunity and I hope that nothing hinders this education we experienced for my kids in the future. There have been some comments about federal funding, but I really hope that it does not affect Epic negatively because it is a really good program.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My oldest daughter experienced a lot of bullying. The girls in her class are mean to her. My younger daughter attended pre-K and public school, and she got bullied too for being overweight. While bullying is the main reason we chose to enroll our kids to online schooling, my husband, who is a lineman, travels and with online schooling, my kids are able to travel too.

I had started out with K12, but it was very demanding. Even though you see your teachers on the computer, you basically feel like you have to figure everything out on your own. While my youngest was doing okay with the curriculum, it was not working well for my oldest. So, I had asked on Facebook the schools that were out there and somebody had mentioned Epic. Then I decided to switch from K12 to Epic 'cause with Epic, you can Facetime with your teacher to help you when you need help. With Epic, you can also choose which curriculum will best fit your child. I couldn't keep my oldest's attention with Plato, but now that she's doing Moby Max, she's doing a lot better. Last year, my youngest had Compass, and then this year, she's doing Waterford.

Both of my daughters seem to be doing good. Also, we can supplement them with book work or other online stuff. There are so many different choices that are available for your children at Epic. You know they're learning and they're not behind. The teachers have been alright as well. If your children are behind, you can get them back up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epic Charter Schools?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Epic has been such a blessing for my granddaughter who struggles with severe anxiety. Before Epic she went to traditional public school and struggled every day with anxiety and panic attacks. I think she was possibly bullied as well for having those issues. The staff just pretty much shrugged it off like it was becoming annoying for them instead of addressing the issue after I said many times she needed some accommodations. Finally, after nothing was being done and every day was getting worse and worse I made the decision to pull her out and to put her in Epic.

It was the best decision I made for her. She loves it and she can actually focus on her schoolwork without being anxious or overwhelmed. I believe that some kids need this kind of education because if it wasnt for Epic I dont know where or what she would be doing with her education. The struggles are real for these kids and truly heartbreaking. Epic has been wonderful for us and I recommend it 100% no matter what. Her teacher is Suzy and she is so caring and compassionate and very understanding not to mention very professional.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

This school used to be AMAZING. Well I guess they grew up too fast because the communication has diminished to subpar. The various programs they expect students to do each day is insane. They claim you choose your curriculum but they add in extra stuff without asking the parent and then add extra mandatory stuff. My kids spend far more time than public school and still can't finish a day's work.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My son hated school and was having some problems in it so it was easier for him to work at home. We found a school but it wasn't turning out very well so we decided to go ahead and try Epic Charter Schools instead. He seemed to like Epic better because of the opportunity to do a test again if he failed. The quality was really good and exciting and I liked how they have their set-up so I would recommend it to someone.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I was told by different people that Epic Charter Schools was so good, and it was. I just had to meet with the teacher and then she had a made equipment, then we registered with that and then we were set to go. My child was taking English and Math and I loved it. Epic Charter Schools made my child very comfortable. I'm very satisfied. I had to take her out because there were some issues that went on with the custody, but once everything’s over with, she would love to go back.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I know of other parents who used Epic with their children so I've used it with my daughter. Now, I using it again for my stepson who has a medical condition that doesn't allow him to join school temporarily. Everything has been really easy process. I went online and filled out the form for the enrollment. Then they called and I finished it up in person. My stepson is taking regular classes on IET level for high school and the staff are very good. My son's experience has been very good and less stressful than public school. Epic is better than brick and mortar school but they put too much unnecessary work on the students on IET in a regular class. There are too many curriculums that they work through. It's harder to keep up than in a brick and mortar school, but the level of education is better. All in all, I'm happy with Epic.

Epic Charter Schools expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epic Charter Schools are free, public schools for students in Pre-K through 12th grade. It lets students complete their classes online, but it doesn’t require students to spend a certain number of hours online each day. The school also hosts in-person activities, like field trips, prom and a graduation ceremony. In-person events usually take place in Oklahoma City.

• Accreditation: Epic is accredited through the Oklahoma State Department of Education. It meets all the same criteria as every public school in Oklahoma.

• Drivers Ed: Epic offers a Drivers Ed course to help students prepare for the driver’s permit exam. After taking the course and getting their permit, students should be ready to start taking driving lessons on the road.

• Graduation: Epic holds a graduation ceremony each year, so students and their families can celebrate their accomplishment. The ceremony takes place in Oklahoma City, and students can bring as many guests as they’d like.

• Epic Meetups: Epic organized events where students can meet in person for educational activities. The events are usually open to students of all ages.

• Prom: Each year, Epic holds prom for students in the 9th through the 12th grade. The prom is typically held in Oklahoma City.

• Best for: students with non-academic commitments and home-schooled students.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs