Connections Academy Reviews

Stars Rating

• 30%
  • 70%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?

Reviewed April 30, 2024

My last review was taken down for a curious reason. Likely because I was able to articulate the complex set of issues this Florida on-line school program is having. While I do not have the time or energy to again break apart some of the issues we personally had as I did in my post prior to this, I will get to the central issues of our particular experience. First, I gave 3 stars merely for the fact that it is online and there are real safety concerns about public schools system in these days. Online is a better option IMO in terms of physical safety. Otherwise, I would have only gave them 1-2 stars.

1) Our 2nd grade child was starting to fall behind in core classes mainly math. We first noticed this in early Sept. This was brought to the attention of the teacher very early on in the school year. As soon as we noticed we attempted to get her to help us come up with an action plan. Instead, she opined that he's doing okay - averaging a C so - he's passing....When we explained that it was taking us HOURS and way too much assistance on our end to get him through each lesson - she stated that basically hes our kid and its our job. No empathy or concern from her whatsoever. Teacher seemed unbothered and never addressed our request from help. Instead, she suggested a coding club. Which doesn't make too much sense. After months of falling behind, our family finally decided it was best to hire a paid online teacher and it was only then did our child start to under stand the concepts. The issue here is this: teacher and administrative staff notified basically wrote us back and said, "it's hard being a teacher/coach isn't it". Well - no I replied. In fact, I happen to be a virtual instructor myself. The issue was that this particular teacher had reason after reason, excuse after another excuse in canceling her classes and did not do well in terms of engagement and classroom management. Maybe she was overworked and they're giving teachers too many students at once. I am not sure. Nonetheless, we do not feel our student got the attention he deserved.

2) This same teacher did not watch some of the other students when there actually were live lessons and multiple times my student had to endure other 2nd grades cursing and saying very peculiar and scary things in the chat.

3) Last year, we also attended the program (different teachers of course) and our student was in 1st grade however his test scoring and benchmarks were along the lines of 6th grade reading and 4th grade math. He has lost all of this now.

4) Our son was treated with contempt after bringing this to the attention of admin. Thereafter, his "teacher" had 1 last class in the entire month of April and did not acknowledge him one time. It was weird.

This teacher is LOUD and almost appears to be under the influence of something be it anxiety meds or otherwise. She is IN YOUR face. Admin has to take notice of this and I have heard from other parents that they too have shared concerns and they have largely remained ignored. Our family is now working with an investigative response team that apparently is and has been inquiring on the Florida Connections Academy. I wont go into detail with this but they have grasped the brevity of the concerns we have had this school year and they are working to narrow the issues down as to whether these problems are systemic or originating from this one teacher or perhaps is it the Principal or a little of both. All in all - because of this 23-24 school year we can not recommend the FCA at this time. We do hope that it goes back to quality it had in years prior. We hope the issues can get ironed out.

Pinned

Hi Stanley. We always aim to provide a high-quality education to our students, and we're sorry to hear that wasn't your experience. We'd be happy to look into this. Please email us at community@connectionsacademy.com with your full name, as listed on your account, and your student's teacher's name. ~Bri

Reviewed April 4, 2024

This school is terrible. They lock Assignments so your child can not do the lessons and so I'm trying to withdraw my child from the program and I already gave them the information about him attending Time4learning and is refusing to withdraw him.

Pinned

Hi Lenore. We're sorry you didn't have a good experience with our school. Although we're sad to see you go, we'd be happy to help you initiate the withdrawal. Please email us at community@connectionsacademy.com so we can assist. ~Bri

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer Service

Reviewed March 3, 2024

This is the worse school ever! They will lock down lessons that you can't do instead of skipping it and going on causing lessons to overload and then they kick you out of school causing a problem finding another school! Too much for student and parent to read and too much work! Uncaring and rude! Find another school! You will thank me if you do!

Pinned

Hi Sylvia. Thank you for your feedback. Many families are extremely satisfied with our school, so we're sorry to hear that wasn't your experience. If you need anything from us, please email us at community@connectionsacademy.com. ~Bri

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

If you love your child, don’t subject them to the overloading of dull work this school would have you and your child give your life to! Staff can do nothing to change the workload (thought I was lied to by staff about how some classes were removed to ease up the tension, though it would’ve been a crappy solution anyway as I don't want my child to miss out on things she might need to know for testing or life) or the work itself as it's all programed by someone else. The suggestions were all common sense stuff I told them I was already doing. Connections Academy has robbed us of so much joy we could have had given more time to go out and do things, and has stressed my relationship with my child in such a way that regular school never has!

I wish I could disregard it to ensure a healthier mental state but I want her to succeed & know she has it in her to do amazing things, though this school isn’t the training that will bring it out in children so young. I chose C.A. because it was supposed to be community based & got great reviews, but the teacher only recently (once) gave the kids time to talk a little in between the reaching & math Live Lessons they have once a week, thus far. That’s all the community time we have had time for, not that there's many options for it otherwise. The teacher is also half dead in that she seems to have no energy or is not at all an animated person, which I felt should have been considered with young children. Monotone.

Pinned

We're sorry we haven't been able to offer a better solution. Most families find exactly what they need with our program. However, we do understand school is not one-size-fits-all, and what works for some may not work for others. We encourage you to continue working with your teachers and administrators to hopefully find something that works for your family, but wish you the best in your academic endeavors. ~Bri

Michael

I saw this and no there’s not a lot of work to even do, you could always ask your child’s teacher if he could get a little study with the teacher, I know that you are mad that there is a lot of work but come on there’s not even a lot! I’m sure your child’s teacher would be happy to teach or son because maybe he is confused on the work he is doing, as well it is your duty to help your child understand what is happening, I’m sure you get emails.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2023

My son has not been able to watch a live lesson since school started. Emails to the help desk ARE NEVER RESPONDED TO. I'VE currently been on hold to talk to tech support for 31 min 2 sec. This is SUPER FRUSTRATING.

Pinned

Hi Heather. We understand how this experience can be frustrating. I attempted reaching out to you privately but didn't hear back. I'd love to connect you with a member of our Student Technical Support team. Please email us at community@connectionsacademy.com with your and your student's full name (as it's listed on your account) and your phone number so we can have someone follow up with you. ~Bri

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2022

I enrolled on this school think I was going to be good but boy I was wrong. They make you work like 6 hours a week for this work and if you don't spend that much time then you will get in trouble. They make you talk to the stuff and if you don't you get in trouble too. Test and quizzes one after the other this is sure gonna help me get into college. It doesn't teach anything it's just test and quizzes and not anything important. And the worst thing. They're making me work over Thanksgiving!! Just give me a break for once. I might just drop this school and go back to my old school cause they would totally give me a whole week off of Thanksgiving break instead give me anxiety. I'm tired of this school. The Profiles don't make sense either. If I drop from here I don't care. I'm tired of being under stress and anxiety. Give me a break dude. So if you want to enroll your kid into a online school. DON'T DO THIS ONE.

Pinned

Hi Astrid. I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience. Although our program is flexible, high schoolers must complete all assignments and work 6 hours a day to meet attendance and participation requirements at our public school. If you're having trouble with your assignments, we encourage you to reach out to your teachers. Your counselor can also help. If you're not being assisted in a way that works for your needs, please have your parent email us at community@connectionsacademy.com. ~Bri

Reviewed May 12, 2022

Hands down the best school we have worked with. If we ever have a question, the staff answers in a timely manner and with kindness and compassion. The lessons are just challenging enough to keep my students attention. Highly recommend!

Hi Julie. Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again next year! ~Bri

Reviewed May 12, 2022

My 8th grader has severe ADHD and learning challenges. He was struggling in the classroom and failing all classes. SCCA allows him to work at his pace and have the supports that were already established in his IEP. I am able to review the assignments and work with the teacher to adjust it for him. If he doesn't need all the practice, we can skip some practice work. If he needs more practice, they provide extra resources. If he isn't ready for a test, we can take a few extra days to prepare. The special education teachers have been wonderful at taking extra time to assist him one on one with anything that he needs extra help with. We can work at the times that he is most focused and work on his time frame. At Connections Academy he is able to have the one-on-one support that isn't possible in a classroom of 20+ kids. I have to put in my share of time and effort, but I knew that going in and it's worth it for my child to be successful and learn.

Hi Crystal. We're happy to support your family in any way we can! ~Bri

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 12, 2022

I have homeschooled two of my children through Connections for the past six years. If I had to choose between K-12 and Connections, then I would go with them each time. Yes, I have homeschooled another child of mine through K-12... He was a special needs child... They never gave him his assignments on time, when I called teachers, I never got calls back. Then I would get threats of truancy. With Connections my youngest is special needs and they help out greatly. They webmail, or call back quickly. I have recommended to several people that have enrolled with you and love you. Thanks for all you do for us.

Pinned

Sheena, thank you for choosing us! We're glad we've been able to provide you with a consistent learning experience that you enjoy. ~Bri

Reviewed May 11, 2022

This was our first time at Florida Connections academy, being a learning coach is a big responsibility but I was very pleased at the fact that I am there for my 10 year old daughter. She has a learning difficulty and it helps her to understand a lot more when she is home. I recommend Florida connections academy to any parent that have children who have a difficult time learning. Teachers and staff are Amazing, they listen and help with anything you have questions with.

We will be with Florida connections academy for the 2022-2023 school. She is excited for 5th grade. She says she is going to miss her teachers very much. She loves the teachers and staff that has helped her this year. She says she absolutely loves Florida connections academy. I also love the fact that Florida connections academy works with a busy schedule and you can also make your schedule as it fits with you and the children. Florida connections academy is the best school I know.

Pinned

Hi Rebecca. Thank you for your kind words! One of the benefits of our program is the Learning Coach role, which allows you to have a more active role in your child's learning without the responsibility of being a teacher. We're excited to have you two back for another year. We wish you all the best! ~Bri

Connections Academy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Connections Academy is a virtual education organization that provides a free public online school for grades K-12, as well as a tuition-based online private school. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education LLC.

• In-person and online informational events: Connections Academy offers both online and in-person events for prospective students and their families to have their questions answered.

• Personalized Performance Learning: Connections Academy provides a personalized educational experience using its Personalized Performance Learning approach. The school begins by reviewing the student’s background and learning style. It then conducts periodical testing to track progress over time and uses assessments to identify a student’s core strengths and weaknesses.

• Career technical education: This program is designed for students — especially high school students — who would like to gain more targeted education towards a career in many fields; including, accounting, education, programming and business.

• Diverse course options: Connections Academy can meet the needs of a diverse range of students with traditional courses, Honors and AP courses, and the ability to take college and NCAA approved courses while in high school.

• Student experience catalog: Through a wide variety of extracurricular activities, Connections Academy provides one of the most advanced socialization programs in the online school industry.

Connections Academy Company Information