2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

Connections Academy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

We decided to begin Kindergarten in an online school and chose Connections. At first, I wasn’t sure how things would turn out, but now we’ve finished our first semester and I’m pleased with my son's progress. Our teacher is amazing and overall every concern we’ve had has been answered. He’s learning and thriving. He’s used to only having play dates and church activities, plus we’ve all social distanced as much as possible. I’m very pleased and plan to continue here for the near future. We are in Alabama so not sure how other states are with their programs through Connections. Here we’ve received top-notch education and help.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

My son is a 6th grade student in his second year with Alabama Connections Academy and we have been so pleased with everything about this virtual school!!! Our son is doing so well and making all A’s, the teachers and staff are so helpful and so kind to us. We are proud to be a part of the Connections Academy program. Our son loves ALCA! Our family would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a virtual school! Jennifer **, Mom/Learning Coach. Jackson ** is our 6th grade ALCA student.

Connections Academy response

Hi Jennifer, I am so thrilled to see that you and your student think so highly of our school! I hope you both continue to have a great school year! Thank you for leaving your feedback!

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

We're in our first year at Texas Connections Academy. 3rd Grade. First of all let me say that each state has to deal with different education laws, so pay close attention to each state's Connections Academy. We have had a great experience so far and I know he's learning more and exposed to more 3rd grade education points that Texas public in person or online from a local school. School is hard - choose which hard you want to tackle - do it yourself, self-motivate - parent motivate or send them to school and let the teachers do it all.

The Connections Academy teachers can only do so much not getting to be in the house with you. If you follow the curriculum and do the work and attend the live lessons you'll do well here. SCHOOL IS HARD AT HOME. Be dedicated to your child's education and they will respond accordingly. We recently had my son diagnosed with Aspergers and this explains why we've had struggles at home behavior-wise. With that said, He is keeping up with the lessons! He is also catching up on days he gets behind.

PORTFOLIOS are projects that take more than one day/step to complete. Follow the rubric and you'll get a good grade. The Teachers are quick to respond and are very encouraging. They even help with pep talks when your student isn't feeling his best or needs moral support. Online school isn't for everyone. We won't be doing this his entire school career. This works for us now but maybe not every year. Yes online school is hard but what are your expectations? Be involved and communicate daily and you will see results.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Both my kids are enrolled - first year at the middle school and high school. PROS: The teachers are great. They are creative, adapt the curriculum to meet student needs, and my kids are learning more than they would be at the local district. My older child takes a high level Spanish course (HS) and my younger child takes a really cool digital art class (middle school).

CONS: They don't have a music department, so there is no opportunity to participate in music. You can't participate in regional music festivals. For me, participation in district festivals was a highlight of my middle school and high school years, but for my students staying at TECCA means my children will never know this fabulous opportunity for collaboration. And while TECCA has other student activities and clubs, the club advisors don't get paid unit the SECOND year of active club participation, so the overworked teachers have to volunteer their time for free for the first year which I really find awful.

Connections Academy response

Hi, I'm glad to hear that you're happy with our teachers. While it is true that we don't have a music program, many of our students take music lessons outside of TECCA. Also, if the local district allows it, students can participate in a musical offering through them. All of our clubs start out as pilots & if they are successful, teachers can apply for a stipend. Running a club is not required - our teachers choose to start clubs in areas that interest them. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

This is absolutely the worst online school! Just stay away! I was lured with false advertising. The workload for a 5th grader is absolutely ridiculous! It is more work than my online college classes. It takes hours just to finish one lesson. It is test after test crammed in your face. The lessons are so frustrating, lengthy, horrible, and just plain crap. They put kids on the spot and force them to answer questions in front of other students. You have to talk to teachers against your will or they put an alarm on your account! The assignment overload is ridiculous. If you want your child to succeed please do not enroll them in this school. It will take your child about 6-8 hours solid of school work just to finish all of their essay demands and tests. It is much more work than a brick and mortar school with very poor lessons.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

After being bullied in school we decided to homeschool. Connections Academy boasts about its merits. We soon found out that the enrollment process lagged on their end. Then we were off to a late start. When we got our first day going we were behind two and a half weeks and expected to jump in and stay current while making up the two weeks! My daughter's first help class for math meeting, was a teacher getting frustrated and telling the kids to get on the mic and speak up with an answer or there’s no credit for that day. Nope! Left immediately and we are happily enrolled in a better program!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

We decided to give this a go instead of dealing with all the new rules in school due to the corona virus. They preach about communication being key, but the teacher didn't communicate at all! They say, "It's on your schedule and your time" but after we started I was told to not touch the scheduler at all she would plan for me. First example of no communication and really the straw that broke the camel's back, we are almost done with our day and she reruns his planner and adds classes at the end of the day. Her excuse was that morning she noticed that some planners had not gone through properly but instead of informing parents she just does it and waits to be confronted. If you enjoy being controlled and having your child who once enjoyed school begin to loathe it then by all means go ahead. If not you should probably keep looking. Do not make the mistake I did and say it can't be that bad because it truly is false advertisement at its finest.

Original review: July 24, 2020

This is the most frustrating, inefficient group of management I have ever seen. My daughter attended several years and when we moved from N to S California, apparently the paperwork was not done properly so they dropped her. No phone call to say the paperwork is not correct (but of course they say they called me). In May, after all of the bright green checkmarks saying all is good to go, AND after speaking to someone from CA saying that everything looks "good to go," I assumed that everything was good to go. It is July 24th, and I just found out that we submitted one of the papers incorrectly and that she cannot attend next year because they closed their enrollment! Thank you so much for letting me know when you read the wrong paperwork! Was it some lazy worker not wanting to follow up because it is so much easier just to X the account? This is not my first bad experience with CA, but certainly my last.

Original review: April 29, 2020

The school has internet schooling down to a science yet it lacks in everything else. Most of the teachers are cold and robot-like. They do not establish a relationship with the student and students are basically forced to self-teach for all subjects. The subjects offered are fairly diverse yet material presented is subpar. The material presented does not challenge or create original thought. If your intention is to create a clone and stamp out individuality then this is the school for you. If not, anything else will probably be better.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Let me explain. I joined Connections in 7th grade. I was happy, excited even for the chance to learn from home. But honestly the worst mistake of my life. Language courses are actually terrible. They don't teach you anything, and just shove tests in your face. Every class just shoves tests and quizzes in your face. The workload is more than the hour per class promised, you end up doing hours and hours for one lesson. Not only that the work at your own pace is crap. You get yelled at with overdue lessons. Don't talk to me about teachers. They barely help you and get mad at you if you don't do it the way they want. I wish I never went there in the first place. You read about all the great reviews but consider the being away from everyone, the terrible teachers, the terrible tests (One test was 20 percent of my grade and covered stuff from my first semester 5 months ago). DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE IF YOU WANT THEM TO SUCCEED.

Connections Academy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Connections Academy is a virtual education organization that provides a free public online school for grades K-12, as well as a tuition-based online private school. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education LLC.

• In-person and online informational events: Connections Academy offers both online and in-person events for prospective students and their families to have their questions answered.

• Personalized Performance Learning: Connections Academy provides a personalized educational experience using its Personalized Performance Learning approach. The school begins by reviewing the student’s background and learning style. It then conducts periodical testing to track progress over time and uses assessments to identify a student’s core strengths and weaknesses.

• Career technical education: This program is designed for students — especially high school students — who would like to gain more targeted education towards a career in many fields; including, accounting, education, programming and business.

• Diverse course options: Connections Academy can meet the needs of a diverse range of students with traditional courses, Honors and AP courses, and the ability to take college and NCAA approved courses while in high school.

• Student experience catalog: Through a wide variety of extracurricular activities, Connections Academy provides one of the most advanced socialization programs in the online school industry.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team