2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.05/5

Connections Academy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Connections Academy?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

We're in our first year at Texas Connections Academy. 3rd Grade. First of all let me say that each state has to deal with different education laws, so pay close attention to each state's Connections Academy. We have had a great experience so far and I know he's learning more and exposed to more 3rd grade education points that Texas public in person or online from a local school. School is hard - choose which hard you want to tackle - do it yourself, self-motivate - parent motivate or send them to school and let the teachers do it all.

The Connections Academy teachers can only do so much not getting to be in the house with you. If you follow the curriculum and do the work and attend the live lessons you'll do well here. SCHOOL IS HARD AT HOME. Be dedicated to your child's education and they will respond accordingly. We recently had my son diagnosed with Aspergers and this explains why we've had struggles at home behavior-wise. With that said, He is keeping up with the lessons! He is also catching up on days he gets behind.

PORTFOLIOS are projects that take more than one day/step to complete. Follow the rubric and you'll get a good grade. The Teachers are quick to respond and are very encouraging. They even help with pep talks when your student isn't feeling his best or needs moral support. Online school isn't for everyone. We won't be doing this his entire school career. This works for us now but maybe not every year. Yes online school is hard but what are your expectations? Be involved and communicate daily and you will see results.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

This is absolutely the worst online school! Just stay away! I was lured with false advertising. The workload for a 5th grader is absolutely ridiculous! It is more work than my online college classes. It takes hours just to finish one lesson. It is test after test crammed in your face. The lessons are so frustrating, lengthy, horrible, and just plain crap. They put kids on the spot and force them to answer questions in front of other students. You have to talk to teachers against your will or they put an alarm on your account! The assignment overload is ridiculous. If you want your child to succeed please do not enroll them in this school. It will take your child about 6-8 hours solid of school work just to finish all of their essay demands and tests. It is much more work than a brick and mortar school with very poor lessons.

Get buying tips about Online Homeschools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

After being bullied in school we decided to homeschool. Connections Academy boasts about its merits. We soon found out that the enrollment process lagged on their end. Then we were off to a late start. When we got our first day going we were behind two and a half weeks and expected to jump in and stay current while making up the two weeks! My daughter's first help class for math meeting, was a teacher getting frustrated and telling the kids to get on the mic and speak up with an answer or there’s no credit for that day. Nope! Left immediately and we are happily enrolled in a better program!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

We decided to give this a go instead of dealing with all the new rules in school due to the corona virus. They preach about communication being key, but the teacher didn't communicate at all! They say, "It's on your schedule and your time" but after we started I was told to not touch the scheduler at all she would plan for me. First example of no communication and really the straw that broke the camel's back, we are almost done with our day and she reruns his planner and adds classes at the end of the day. Her excuse was that morning she noticed that some planners had not gone through properly but instead of informing parents she just does it and waits to be confronted. If you enjoy being controlled and having your child who once enjoyed school begin to loathe it then by all means go ahead. If not you should probably keep looking. Do not make the mistake I did and say it can't be that bad because it truly is false advertisement at its finest.

Original review: July 24, 2020

This is the most frustrating, inefficient group of management I have ever seen. My daughter attended several years and when we moved from N to S California, apparently the paperwork was not done properly so they dropped her. No phone call to say the paperwork is not correct (but of course they say they called me). In May, after all of the bright green checkmarks saying all is good to go, AND after speaking to someone from CA saying that everything looks "good to go," I assumed that everything was good to go. It is July 24th, and I just found out that we submitted one of the papers incorrectly and that she cannot attend next year because they closed their enrollment! Thank you so much for letting me know when you read the wrong paperwork! Was it some lazy worker not wanting to follow up because it is so much easier just to X the account? This is not my first bad experience with CA, but certainly my last.

Original review: April 29, 2020

The school has internet schooling down to a science yet it lacks in everything else. Most of the teachers are cold and robot-like. They do not establish a relationship with the student and students are basically forced to self-teach for all subjects. The subjects offered are fairly diverse yet material presented is subpar. The material presented does not challenge or create original thought. If your intention is to create a clone and stamp out individuality then this is the school for you. If not, anything else will probably be better.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Let me explain. I joined Connections in 7th grade. I was happy, excited even for the chance to learn from home. But honestly the worst mistake of my life. Language courses are actually terrible. They don't teach you anything, and just shove tests in your face. Every class just shoves tests and quizzes in your face. The workload is more than the hour per class promised, you end up doing hours and hours for one lesson. Not only that the work at your own pace is crap. You get yelled at with overdue lessons. Don't talk to me about teachers. They barely help you and get mad at you if you don't do it the way they want. I wish I never went there in the first place. You read about all the great reviews but consider the being away from everyone, the terrible teachers, the terrible tests (One test was 20 percent of my grade and covered stuff from my first semester 5 months ago). DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE IF YOU WANT THEM TO SUCCEED.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I started Connections Academy about 3 years ago. I should already be graduated but I am now 19 going to be 20 in a couple of months in the 11th grade. Let me just start off with this school gives you no help... Portfolios are the most confusing nonsense ever, you get just one thing wrong or you don’t do it exactly how they want it in their format you get it wrong. I can’t tell you how much times I have failed classes because of one little mess up in a portfolio. We need some actually teachers to help us out and take us step by step on what we need to do.

I got an email a day ago saying that I will be unenrolled in three days because rules wasn’t being followed. Today (the next day) I am not even allowed to turn in the rest of my work... SO MUCH FOR 3 ** DAYS!! This is honestly the worst homeschool. It says you can work at your own speed, but doesn't give you the warning that they are going to pile up a bunch of work on top. Which then makes you rush, and if you don’t get everything done you get emails and texts saying you need to get this done now or it’s a zero. I was in public school and it was not near as stressful and complicated than this...

Before researching everything, my mom would always get onto me because she thought I was just slacking. Not knowing that the school piles work up on the, and then if you don’t do it on time you get a zero (which makes you fail) and if you don’t do the portfolios perfect you also fail. Lol, but that’s fine. I’m not going to let this school ruin my chance of graduating. I will find a different school and I will graduate. So, good luck to all of you that are signed up or getting signed up for this school.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

We moved from Ca to Las Vegas Nv in 2019. My son signed himself up for Connections Academy. He started 3 weeks late so was already a little behind but quickly caught up. My son and I have never had any problems but this school turned into daily blow up fights! He is very smart and capable. As semester was ending I kept seeing he was FAILING Every single class, even though he was busting his butt & turning in all assignments? It wasn't until I sat down & started really seeing what was going on. He had 100% of all assignments, turned in 75% or higher on all tests yet was still failing all classes due to portfolios he had not done or done correctly.

They were confusing so we reached out to teachers several times. They'd call back and say, "I web mailed you the instructions follow them." None would actually take the time to stay on the phone and walk us through the steps which was discouraging. They said portfolios are 23% of overall grade. Turns out they are 100% of grade. My son (16) has 45/45 assignments 17/17, 36/36, etc, All 100% complete and still failed EVERY SINGLE CLASS?

After working so hard to catch up & submit every assignment/test he still failed which has made him feel HOPELESS, depressed & give UP!!! In my opinion this school set him up for failure and now he just WANTS TO DROP OUT ALL TOGETHER, DROP OUT OF SCHOOL 3 months shy of 17!!! What is a parent to do? NOW I'm feeling HELPLESS.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I enrolled my child very early and that was the start of the problems. We did the Getting Started part, My son watched the videos and took the quiz's one by one then in a couple days I would get a call stating my son did not do it so he would go and do it again, "All the while I was believing my son was lying and not doing the work after the 3rd time and punishing my son for not doing it, I completed the task with him. Lo and behold I get the call again and I told them he did it so they thought he may have left something off so we completed by this time 5 times and tech support was with us. They wanted this to be completed and we would have to wait for the information to be annotated in the system. It failed. Now mind you My son could not do any work until GETTING STARTED WAS COMPLETED even though my son now did it 6 times.

So 3 weeks later and many threats to dis-enroll my son they decided to allow him to start class and they would override the error. Now we are doing the classwork together as we started 36 lessons behind but the problems still existed. We could not complete many of the courses due to whatever was the case being we never found out even though we called many times. I watched my son complete many courses and the academy continued to have problems (I believe because my son was behind to begin it would not let many courses to be submitted but not positive.).

Finally we get a threatening message that this meeting was mandatory. After a few words the COMPLIANCE DIRECTOR said as long as my child did 6 lessons a day all would be ok) So I had my son do 8 but we now the very next day I was locked out 1 day before break, I immediately tried to call and messaged them and also had my son message them to let them know I cannot check any of his work off or turn in his hours.

Now after break we get a call stating my son was dis-enrolled due to truancy. When I spoke to registration person (BTW who could do nothing to actually help) she was there to tell me my son was basically expelled due to truancy. Now mind you I had my son logging in 6 days a week and sometimes 7 just to get caught up oh yeah and his BENCHMARKS were within the TOP 20%. I am so frustrated with this school. I punished my child and he was telling the truth all along. This School in my opinion needs to be completely overhauled. I have 2 degrees and I must say that this setup is more complicated than Bannerweb and Blackboard. Please review all options before you enroll your child here. It was the biggest mistake I made.

Connections Academy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Connections Academy is a virtual education organization that provides a free public online school for grades K-12, as well as a tuition-based online private school. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education LLC.

• In-person and online informational events: Connections Academy offers both online and in-person events for prospective students and their families to have their questions answered.

• Personalized Performance Learning: Connections Academy provides a personalized educational experience using its Personalized Performance Learning approach. The school begins by reviewing the student’s background and learning style. It then conducts periodical testing to track progress over time and uses assessments to identify a student’s core strengths and weaknesses.

• Career technical education: This program is designed for students — especially high school students — who would like to gain more targeted education towards a career in many fields; including, accounting, education, programming and business.

• Diverse course options: Connections Academy can meet the needs of a diverse range of students with traditional courses, Honors and AP courses, and the ability to take college and NCAA approved courses while in high school.

• Student experience catalog: Through a wide variety of extracurricular activities, Connections Academy provides one of the most advanced socialization programs in the online school industry.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team