Find an Online Dating Sites partner

eHarmony Reviews

3.8/5 (1577 ratings)
Find an Online Dating Sites partner
Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

About eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

eHarmony Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I used the site for a day and asked for my money back. They refunded my money within 24 hours. I disagree with the reviewers here who claim that eHarmony refuses to refund the money within the cancel period.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Eharmony reached out to me by email offering me a free membership. I clicked on the link and proceeded to spend up to an hour of my time filling out the profile with all of my information. I am then barraged with 50+ messages from compatible men leaving me messages and I am unable to view any pictures or communicate through messaging with a single one. I contacted Eharmony and they said that I would need to purchase a membership to view the images or respond or send messages.

In the meantime, Eharmony took all of my information, and used it to mislead their paying members in believing that I was a potential match. I actually never was since they never had access to meet me. This is false advertising on Eharmony's part. It is fraudulent to myself and all of their clients that they sent my information to.

In the email it states "review your matches for free" which I was never able to do. The email says "Find Love" and "Join Free Today". These are both false statements since love cannot be found without communication and they do not actually permit you to join. BEWARE. EHARMONY USED MY PROFILE WHICH THEY KNEW WAS NOT VALID AND OFFERED IT TO THEIR CLIENTS. They gained this information from me through trickery and deceit. Do not trust this dating site!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I originally joined for six months in July 2020. With no real prospects of connecting with a potential partner, I emailed eHarmony advising I wanted to discontinue. I logged into my account & I opted out of the automatic credit card renewal. I received an email from eHarmony advising I missed the cut off & that they would be charging a 12 month renewal of $568.80. I advised them that I am a single parent & that is a week's wages for me. PLEASE CONTACT THEM WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE RENEWAL DATE & If you opt out, make sure you get a reference number. I have cancelled my credit card. I would rather the inconvenience of having my credit card re-issued than paying for a service that I have no intention of using. This company is ethically questionable in my view.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

So I found a misleading ad saying eHarmony would be at 22 dollars a month for "trial". I am not on any dating sites, but I thought hey 22 dollars one time... There was no visible contract as they took me through their process. I created account, and logged off within minutes. I had contacts who did not look legit. I realized this is not for me. I asked for a cancellation. They said me that I was now under contract for a full 12 months at 120 dollars for 3 months (that would be 40 dollars a month) and with no trial, and then they state clause denying for some states. Since my payment was through PayPal I was able to put a stop payment. I never logged in again, but they still send me emails demanding my outstanding balance of 480 dollars. This is a scam! Please make sure you visit other forums, their FB page. I truly hope I can save a few others from this experience.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I signed up for a three month trial and discovered pretty quickly that the free sites are much better, so I cancelled my membership but didn’t realise that the auto renewal charge is something they sneak in small print!, One year later $349 out of my account! What the! I asked PayPal to refund. They are just enablers, eHarmony said no refund even though my membership was cancelled a couple of weeks in, as auto renewal wasn’t cancelled. Bear in mind they put auto renewal on. I had no idea. Such a bad way to run business and scam people.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I am currently trapped in a subscription for a year, thinking this was one of the top sites for finding a soul mate. I spend more time on match.com. I don’t even log on anymore. I just check the disappointing emails they send with disappointing matches. It’s too slow for my generation (I’m 31). I have not met anyone or video chatted. It’s just taking out monthly payments for nothing. They do all of the personality testing in the beginning but after that it doesn’t seem worth the money. They even send me the same matches over and over again. I’m sure they’re just as tired of seeing me as I am of seeing them. It’s likely different for everyone so feel free to try it if you like. I’ll be on match.com where I’ve video chatted with 2 matches and exchanged numbers with 5 matches in the same time. Good luck????

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I agreed to sign up with Eharmony after reading their advertising for a 1 month free trial. After agreeing to a paying $359.40 for membership, I found there were only 3 possible matches for me; all of which were totally unacceptable. Within the 3 day cancellation period posted: "3-Day Cancellation. Regarding the Premium Membership, you, the buyer, may cancel the Agreement, without any penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the third business day following the date of this Agreement, excluding Sundays and holidays. To cancel this Agreement, you can email subscriptions@eharmony.com or mail a signed and dated notice, or telegram, which states you, the buyer, are canceling this Agreement, or words of similar effect". My request was refused. I have contact the BBB, etc. BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I was shocked to only see 12 people matched up with me, in the NYC area without 60 miles and it didn't matter whether I selected people who were 2 feet tall all the way to 8 feet tall and completely opened up all criteria, the number of people did not change. They ask you 20 mins worth of questions and charge quite a lot, which seems like it would be a quality site, but it is not. They will not provide you with a refund, so think carefully. Very bad experience and disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I would give 0 stars if I could! Grab a tea or something stronger, it’s a long one ????

You always hear about people that met and fell in love on this site but let’s be honest, it’s far and few. Similar to most people here, I made the mistake of not reading reviews first, and just paid for a membership. When subscribing, you are told that there is a 14 day period within which you can cancel and get a refund, no fees attached. I joined Sunday morning, very quickly, I realised that the app was mostly 45+ year olds (I’m 25, female), most messages were from people outside the country and younger profiles were clearly fake. I get lots of matches on other apps but eHarmony is made out to be “come here when you’re serious”. I cancelled within the same day, followed the cancellation instructions, only to be notified that I would be getting charged, not for the service used so far, but for the profile report I had received. Yeah, charged for a product you had no idea you’d bought. Sound familiar? Yay, I’ve just been scammed, happy new year!

Let’s go back a bit. When you sign up to the service, you complete a survey (a quiz like the Myers Briggs personality test that you can complete and get a detailed report for free). At no point are you told that the results of this survey are a product you will be charged for should you subscribe. You don’t receive the results of these either unless you subscribe. I subscribed at 1:52pm and my “profile” arrived instantly alongside the order confirmation and it looks just like the end of every “what are you” quiz. Nothing special or bespoke.

Hours later, buyer remorse hit. Maybe if I change my locations, I zoomed right across the UK, tried changing all details of my profile but nope, similar bios with different pics pop up. Oh well, remember, I can get a refund! So I go to my profile, cancel my membership, pop an email to support. Then I am greeted with a response that lets me know that my use of the service (£10.45 a month) is now worth £130 BUT because they’re feeling generous, they’ll slash it in half. So I highlight all the above and turns out, that little survey profile they emailed me is worth £130. It’s like PPI but worse. In their terms, it says that upon cancelling, they may deduct a reasonable fee from what you’ve been charged. At the time of cancelling, I’d only been charged £10 so I assumed maybe some or all of that £10 as gone. I was okay with that, £10 is 2 pints, I can let go of that but nope, another £54 out the hatch!

So in short, that refund thing is a LIE. There is no trial period. I’ve read excuses of “full refund would only be if you didn’t activate the membership”. How does one use a trial period without TRYING the damn thing? Pretty sure there’s some consumer law breached here. How can you promise and advertise a refund when there was never going to be one? Also how can you charge £65 for an automated email of survey results? It’s like getting to a checkout and being charged a rental fee for the trolley and an oxygen fee for all the breathing you’ve done in store and a bonus charge to any song you hummed to off the store’s radio or an airline hostess charging a fee for every time they smile at you or point to your seat.

Unless you’re happy paying £65 for an automated email of quiz results, stick to Buzzfeed, at least theirs has GIFs. If you’re under 40, stick to Tinder and Bumble. It’s so much better, way more matches, conversations and dates and amazing customer service for free or way less cost or hassle.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I signed up to eharmony.ca as I live in Canada. I realized that there are limited options on this site. I read their cancellation policy and it states that within the first 3 days if you cancel you will get a fully refund. As such, I wrote to them and asked for one as they said to do. A customer service representative wrote me back to inform as I'm Canadian I'm not entitled to the full refund as stated in section 12.c of their cancellation policy (which is not marked in that section that Canadians only won't get their money back).

DO NOT sign up for eharmony.ca Canadians. It's false advertisement with matches they don't have and you won't get any of your money back they they state they would. Better to try match.com, or a free site like Bumble, or any other site that actually has matches available. I really signed up to eharmony.ca because of their reputation and I was greatly disappointed. Don't do it!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I wish I had read the recent reviews before joining eHarmony. EVERYTHING others have written negatively about the site/service is spot on. My prediction is that they’ll be out of biz soon. They’re desperate for subscribers, locking you into unreasonable time frames, and won’t refund your money even after a few days.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Signed up for this site two years ago, after being swayed by the gimmicky commercials. I had tried other free dating apps prior to eHarmony, and I have to say eHarmony is the biggest waste of both time and money ever. For one thing, the site does not differentiate between the people who have a free weekend and the actual paid members. So, you might very well end up "matching" with someone who does not even use the site yet their information remains in the system after their free weekend is up.

Within two days of paying for this site, I hated it. I got messages from men I would never consider dating. One of the two men was WAY too pushy and desperate, and wanted my phone number after barely exchanging any messages and got mad when I wouldn't give it to him immediately. He actually messaged me saying "This isn't going to work out between us because you won't give me your phone number"- it sounded like a break up before we'd ever actually met! LOL. The other guy also lived about 80 miles away from where I lived at the time which was not in line with the parameters I'd set up for dating distance. There was another user who sent me a message, but I never responded to. eHarmony sent me a message saying that his profile had been removed for inappropriate and lewd behavior towards other users.

Free dating apps have their fair share of issues, too. I've received some gross messages, been on some terrible dates from those, but also had some great ones. In fact, I met my husband on a free dating app (obviously not eHarmony). With eHarmony, though, my profile got really no attention which I've never experienced before on any sites. I don't think they really value their customers who pay, and it's just about getting their money.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

There's no way to go month-by-month with your subscription. They trick you into at least a 6-month "contract" and then REFUSE TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION, saying you agreed to be charged every month even if you don't want or will no longer be using their service. I had to change my credit card number to stop them from charging me. One month later, ZERO dates, and I'm out over $110.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I wish I had read more reviews before signing up for eHarmony! I signed up for the free membership, in which you cannot see any pictures, respond to messages, or really even explore the site. I decided if I was going to try eharmony I needed to sign up fully. I reviewed the terms and conditions, which say you can cancel within 3 days and receive a full refund. Unfortunately, this is only true in some states - this fact is included in the terms and conditions, but not made clear.

After trying the site for a day and realizing it would not be a good fit for me, I followed the cancellation policy instructions listed in the terms and conditions but was told they would not grant a refund, as I do not live in the states where this is allowed. They also will not stop payment, and will continue to charge me for the remainder of a six month membership (total of almost $400). Incidentally, they did offer to extend my membership by three months - which, of course, I don't want. So, after thinking I was signing up for a cancellable membership, I find I am locked into $400 for 1.5 days of "being a member". I've deleted my account and do not intend to sign back up. Many of the matches they paired me with weren't even in my country, the site was difficult to navigate, and it was extremely expensive. Stay away! If this is the way they do business in the open, who knows what else they are doing!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

There’s little difference between the paid and free version. The algorithm is garbage. I was matched with my opposites. Horrible. It’s wayyy overpriced for terrible service. They don’t honor the 14 day grace period that is on their site. After 3 days of nothing, I tried to cancel. Sure, I could cancel, but I am going to be billed $223.00 for nothing despite the posted 14 day “cooling off” period. They refused to acknowledge the lies on their site. They just kept saying that they would keep my account open and add 3 extra months to my contract. What part of “Please cancel my account” is confusing.

I’m a progressive, atheist, urban, vegan. Why would I date a conservative, gun-toting Christian, hunter from the country? To each his own, but not even close to a good match. I think the algorithm is garbage and the customer service is terrible. All in all, burning $223 in the fireplace would have been way more enjoyable. It turns out that Eharmony has had multiple lawsuits about their sketchy business practices and billing. Overpriced trash.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Joined eHarmony for a 6 month term seeking a relationship and immediately within the first day, I knew the site was a huge disappointment. Tried to invoke the 3 day cancellation but that is limited to certain states. The only way to communicate with customer service is via messaging as there is no phone number and they might get back to you with some generic nonsense answer in a few days.

The matches I get are pathetic. Certainly not within the boundaries of what I am seeking (not talking about looks alone). Almost half don't have pictures. That is a big red flag when someone does not have a picture in their profile - what are they hiding or who are they hiding from? It has been a week now and the same matches keep recycling.

The website also has issues, specifically with the message system. I did have two responses that showed considerable interest. When I responded, I received an error message that my message did not go through and the website advised me to copy/paste my message, logout and in and resend the message. Did that and have not received a reply from two seeming interested women which leads me to believe that they did not get my message even though it appears they did. So, do I send them another message asking if they received my message? That seems kind of pushy and desperate if they did get the original reply. So the unknown functionality of their message system kind of makes the entire experience further dysfunctional.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Worthless. If the match is scientific then we should be similar. They should be looking as I am, no interest. No one looking. No one in my area. One response was liberal which means matching did not work, other than that no one I emailed responded. No interest. Not any. This site charges you fortune. You're stuck paying for 6 months and they do nothing and I mean nothing. 4 months and one poor response I call that nothing. No one in my area and no one I would be interested in. this site is worthless

Resolution response: Dec. 1, 2020

The company reached me out with solution for my concerns and I am fine with offered solutions. I will still double check if correct actions are truly taken and no additional charged are made in the next months and account is completely canceled. For now, I am satisfied with quick response to my issues.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I purchased 6 months subscription with discount. Compared to other dating apps: Eharmony is expensive, I read carefully cancelation policy and decided to give it a fair try. After one week of use I understood that application is not user friendly and hard no navigate. Some features not available on the phone, very outdated look and panel. Also, there is no traffic. I was parallel on other dating site I would receive thousands of likes and requests, on Eharmony I got only a few and nothing actually matching to my criteria.

It was clear for me that I need to cancel it after 1-2 weeks, I canceled my subscription and on my profile is says "Your automatic renewal was cancelled" but it was not. Soon in a month I realized they keep charging me. I sent email to request refund and they replied, they wouldn't do it. I have options to hold it or make my friend or family member to take it.

Company business strategy is to charge money from clients, period. They are not focused to improve the app (and they really need it) or make it really the app to meet people. For now it's the app with wrong advertisement to take money from people. Sad to see such a business strategy. Hope they change and it wont last too long.... This review is for potential users, it costs a lot but actually works worse than free apps, read carefully all reviews before subscribing.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Turns out that eHarmony is only able to provide matches based on geographic proximity in the US, Australia, the UK and one other country. For those of us living in any other country, it is NOT possible to select matches within a certain distance from where you live, making it virtually useless as a dating service app. For example, I live in Colombia, and I was getting matches in CA, AZ, Russia, and as far away as the Philippines! Halfway around the world! Of course in and of itself there is nothing wrong with this, AS LONG AS IT IS DISCLOSED and made clear when you sign up for the service. It is NOT clear at all. The simple expectation in today's world of on-line apps that you will be able to select matches according to geographic proximity when you purchase a premium subscription is simple common sense.

When I complained, the customer service rep simply said that currently they are not able to provide matches close by. And that "according to our refund policy" they will not provide a refund, and that "after reviewing my case" that was the final decision. Period. I would caution people not to use this service for this reason, unless you live in one of the countries where geographic proximity matches are possible. And even so, I would urge everyone, regardless, not to support a business with such deceptive practices, poor service for premium subscription customers, and such disdainful customer service and unfriendly refund policies.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

This company only cares about collecting your money. They don't offer 1 month trials like other sites do, so you are forced to subscribe for 6 months minimum. After using it for 2 days I realized I hated it. But guess what, they refused to refund me and they couldn't care less that I wasn't happy. So basically they don't care if you like the app or not, if you used it for 2 days or 2 months, they will not refund you no matter what. Beware and st.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I am working my through college later in life, as the luxury is now becoming available to me. I hang out with lawyers, doctors, engineers, and have never dated someone without an education. I’m bright, hence the people I associate with. After a nearly three year dry spell I tried looking into eHarmony. I didn’t think they would say I only match the lowest bar on their site, such as construction workers. The language was so bad. So so bad. I didn’t want any of them to say hello, which probably wouldn’t have been spell checked and said hello. They were utterly sexist giving male and female roles to a relationship (of which apparently I fill both). Also, when living in a major metropolitan area, and not even 35 yet, only having 45 bad matches on the entire site. Yea. I canceled before giving them cc. At least I saved myself that hassle.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I am an advanced degree LAW student in Chicago and also teach a law class in Chicago (ironically, as stated on my profile -- so they know this) in the state of Illinois. These jokers won't honor the 3 day policy as required by Illinois law. Thankfully, I have contacts at the attorney general's office as well as at the Chicago Times so I will be alerting them to this unethical, illegal, and immoral behavior in times of Covid. The amount of money they took from me will NOT be worth the hassle of bad press and lost revenue.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Joined Eharmony as a premium member very recently. Two days later decided it wasn't for me due to a serious lack of people on this site. Asked to cancel my membership and for a full refund. However, despite only being a member for two days, they refused to refund me and instead attempted to charge an extra £22.00 bringing the sum total to £66 - claiming it was compensation for their matching system??.. What?!?! On reviewing their T&C's to find their 14 day cooling off period, it's very dodgy and you have to look hard in different sections to find the small print which says they 'may' charge a reasonable amount for their compatibility checker. What a sneaky, and underhanded way to do business. My advice would be stay away! NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I signed up with eHarmony and was very disappointed with the services. Services certainly were not as advertised. I canceled and closed my account within 24 hours after signing up. Regardless, eHarmony made two unauthorized charges against my credit card, and they will not give me a refund. As a result, I since filed a complaint against eHarmony with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I'm being matched with women who don't fall anywhere within my preferences. Moreover, even they don't write back. I get plenty of messages on J4Dating.com -

there is no slick matching system there but you can just contact anyone and it's up to you to see how well you click (just like it's supposed to happen in real life). You can easily do it because most ladies tend to respond or contact you first. Moreover - I should have put it first - their women are gorgeous inside and out. I was hoping for something like this on Eharmony, but it turned out to be the exact opposite and completely useless.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I recently gave this site a try. I had heard good things from a friend (one friend) and I had also heard that online dating had picked up with the lockdowns. So, I signed up after googling if they have a cancellation window where I would be able to get a refund. BIG MISTAKE! After looking through my matches, I just didn’t feel it was the right time to try this. I feel like people are not trying to shell out $269+ right now with a difficult economy. So maybe they’re all on the free or cheaper sites? I spoke to an eHarmony representative via the chat option and she was so rude. She took forever to respond and was very condescending.

I was curt in my own responses because I had nothing to say. After emailing customer service, I was informed there is no refund window?!? When did they take that away??? If I would have known I never would have signed up! That’s where they get you though, because who on earth has 6 hours to read through their 78 page terms when I knew from a friend and Google that they have a refund window?

I’m so dissatisfied. Don’t sign up for this service. I don’t trust their “formulas” or the matches that were available. Debra (lady from the chat box) told me to just give it a try and I sure have. I’ve talked with many of my matches and I just am having a hard time finding someone that seems to connect. I usually have an easy time in the beginning of online dating (the two times I’ve tried it) but it’s just not seeming to go anywhere this time. Spend your money somewhere where you can try a site month to month. Don’t waste your time, energy, and hard-earned money on a site that doesn’t even let you have a trial period. Or, you might even have more luck with a free site.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I was really disappointed. At the time I joined several years ago I was a Christian. Turns out guys go on eHarmony to sleep with Christian women because they're less likely to have STDs. Two guys I met were likely sex offenders from their very creepy behavior, such as being very handsy, wanting me to touch their clothes, to ride in their car, or choosing a meeting place next to a hotel. One brought his toddler to my house for a date, spent the whole night being annoyed with the child and then wanted me to have sex on the sofa with him when the child fell asleep!

I was in my early 40s and open to adoption or fostering so I answered "Maybe" to whether I wanted kids. I found out when my subscription was finally up and a rep called me that by answering "Maybe" I had not expanded my options, but limited them to only men who also said "Maybe." But, the rep said, it was too late (3 days or something) to give me any credit for my unused months and poor experience. If you saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty remake where Walter has discussions with his eHarmony coach, know that a) there isn't really anything like that and b) the movie's jokes about no refunds is cringing funny because it's so true. Neil Clark Warren is one of many reasons I'm no longer Christian.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Having used free service decided to join but after realizing the way they take money and increase the monthly fee I cancelled right away, they are now charging me £65 for a report I could see while free and can’t see as a cancelled member.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I joined for six months in the Spring. In May I opted out of the automatic credit card renewal. I never received another email. Then, in October, there appeared a charge of $568.80. They said I did not opt out. I know I did but have no proof. I was on a second dating site and I opted out of both of them on the same day. If you opt out, make sure you get a reference number.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I joined eHarmony recently on a whim during the pandemic. Within 10 minutes I thought I made a bad choice, and I tried to cancel my membership. I contacted customer service. There is no available phone number and so I could only reach out to them via email. There is no prompt effective communication. I received my response in about a day and a half. I did not use my account at all and do not plan to use it. They didn't care and could not honor refunding me the $40 something dollars. Atrocious and greedy! I would never recommend this dating service to any of my friends or family. I should have gone back to Match or tried Hinge.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I just joined this site after seeing commercials on how great it is. I’m a 65 year old very attractive woman who lives in the metropolitan NY area. I spent a lot of money on joining this site. All the men are over 60 miles away, the same men are on every day and absolutely no one has liked me. I have been on other sites with a lot of attention from men but not one person is interested in my profile. Sometimes I feel like it doesn’t even exist. It’s a major ripoff and when I asked for a refund they said to change my search parameters. I expanded my search parameters and still nothing. Very frustrating. Stay away!!!

eHarmony Company Information