eHarmony

eHarmony Reviews

3.7/5 (2385 ratings)
Find an Online Dating Sites partner
Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

About eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

eHarmony Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: March 24, 2022

Eharmony is a waste of money and worse, the company seems to have no ethics. I admittedly messed up and forgot to cancel after my trial membership, when the $780 (!!!) dollar autorenewal fee went through on my card without clarifying what it was for my CC company alerted me for possible fraud, I told them I didn't authorize this payment, we blocked it and I changed my card. A few months later a collection agent called me for the money. I talked to the company, they claimed they emailed me 5 times over two months stating my payment was overdue, I went through my inbox, spam, trash. Nope. Nada. They refused to call off the collection agency. Nice.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I wanted to try eHarmony. It was absolutely terrible, I canceled it within an hour. I was charged $200. They wrap you into a 6 month contract when you sign up, they fail to highlight the 6 month contract when you are signing up. Do yourself a favor and move on to another app. Bumble is a much better app.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I signed up for eHarmony approximately 13 months ago for 12 months. I have encountered few matches and phishing from 3 of the handful of matches I had. They charged me $480 even though I had canceled in the app months before the renewal rate. They refuse to refund the money by email and no one picks up the phone at their customer service number. I have used Match and Zoosk and had much better experiences. Definitely avoid eharmony.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I didn't want their service anymore. I quit the service and payments and they sent creditors after me for $64. They totally suck. Stay away from eHarmony. It's a ripoff. I couldn't believe they act like this towards customers.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I was gifted my membership, found it to be overpriced, was provided very few dates that were iffy at best. Some/many of which didn't even fit my specifications. In addition, I cancelled my membership and they are now going after me and the person that gifted the membership to me when the cancellation email was not saved. So all in all, I did not find love or even a good date, paid a bunch of money and am incredibly displeased with the customer service.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I purchased eHarmony for my niece, who never actually used the website. I didn't know that I would be automatically charged for an entire year and did my best to cancel, but was told that I still had to pay for a year of service even though my niece didn't want it. It was over $200 and I had contacted them the day that I was charged. It was also clear that my niece never even used the first 6 months. By the way, they will only communicate through email and they sometimes don't get back to you for a few weeks and sometimes not at all.

I was then informed that I could transfer the year over to a family member or friend. I talked my mom into trying this and changed everything over to her and then we were informed that the account was blocked. I've emailed them numerous times trying to explain what happened and have them open the account and help me to get it to my mom's name, but they don't get back to me. It's been months that I've paid for now, with no one using this. I'm so frustrated. I thought that this was a reputable company - looks like I was wrong!

Original review: March 11, 2022

eHarmony was the strangest experience I ever had with a dating site. As others have complained, very limited matches, if you want to call them that. But what was so strange was that most of photos of the men looked like the they were asleep, drunk or dead. Seriously. Several had their eyes closed like they were passed out and their mouths open, like someone sleeping or dead. I showed it to a friend of mine and she was shocked and asked what it was. I don't know if someone at eHarmony decided to have a joke at my expense -- and it was expensive.

I had a 6 month membership. I was ready to cancel when it was to expire, but a few days before, they charged me for 6 more months. I called and was told I had not requested for my membership to stop -- not true. She refused to refund me so I filed a claim with BBB. eHarmony then refunded my money. Never again! Beware! By the way, I didn't even meet one person or even get contacted by anyone, especially since there were really no matches.

Original review: March 11, 2022

All matches are actually mismatches. They charge 12 months subscription in 4 months. Who does that? They refuse to allow you to delete your account. They refuse refunds even if done almost immediately. BBB should close them down!

Original review: March 11, 2022

I have used Match, Zoosk, Bumble and most recently signed up for eHarmony. I am beyond floored at how TERRIBLE eHarmony is compared to the rest of the sites considering it’s way more expensive than all other sites and they force you to sign up for six months minimum. Issues with the service: The site decides who you match with and you only get to see those people. You don’t have the option to search all members.

To make it worse the the majority of members don’t even have a photo so you’re constantly just scrolling because you can’t see what people look like nor do you have the option to filter to only see matches with photos. Seven out of ten matches that you get matched with daily don’t have a photo. Secondly, you can’t access a lot of your settings and preferences through the mobile apps. You have to log in from your computer to access several of the settings. This is ridiculous considering that everybody uses a mobile app and all other sites let you change all your settings on the mobile app.

Lastly and most terrible of all are the issues with billing and their terms & conditions: In the terms and conditions they clearly state that you can request a full refund if you cancel within the first three days. (Keep in mind that the minimum you can sign up for is six months and the price per month is much higher than Match, Zoosk or Bumble). But because there is an option to cancel within 3 days I decided to sign up to see if it was more expensive because it was a better quality dating site.

Within the first day I realized how terrible it was (due to lack of photos and inability to search more members), so I emailed the subscription email address as noted in the terms and conditions to request a full refund. To my surprise the customer service team replied stating that Canadian customers do not have the same option to request a refund within the first 3 days. With their reply, they sent me a link to the terms and conditions. It was the same terms and conditions I read originally and nowhere does it state that the refund policy only applies to American customers. If it’s there, they have hidden it very well which is dishonest and unfair to non-American customers who would of course assume that the refund policy would apply to them as well.

After several unsuccessful emails to their team I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau and only then did they get back to me to provide an acceptable resolution. They charged me for the first month and cancelled the rest of the remaining months which to me is a fair resolution. However, this only happened after I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau. To my surprise there was a ton of claims about them. I never write reviews but I decided to do this because I hope it helps someone else avoid this nightmare. They should be ashamed of themselves the way they hide things in their terms and conditions. It’s dishonest and I also think it’s not fair to provide that refund option to all customers.

Their whole gimmick is that they supposedly match you really well because you fill out a large survey. Don’t fall for it. It’s terrible, over priced, horrible customer service and flat out dishonest. I really hope that with all the claims against them through the Better Business Bureau they finally update the terms and conditions to either clearly state that the refund policy is not available to non American customers or better yet that they offer it to ALL customers because that is what an honest business would do.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I tried to cancel my membership the very day I signed up. You have 3 business days with a company to cancel a transaction. Their customer service department is rude and would not honor this! I tried to just pay for one month if this was the case and they would not honor this request as well! I am very disappointed with their whole dating app. A lot of red tape to answer silly questions and the dating pool leaves a lot to be desired! There are so many other dating apps that are so much better and they actually have staff that will help you and honor your requests. Now I am stuck paying over $350 and I don't even use the app! Don't get suckered into this! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: March 7, 2022

I signed up. I made a mistake for picking a plan. I should have never made but I did not realize how much I was being charged. After less than 24 hours I said I no longer want to have a membership. They refuse to refund me my money which I initially paid $70 for so I paid $70 and I was like fine, I'm deleting my account which $70 is still crazy for less than one day. Then I get an email saying that I still owe them $270 and I said I am not even using the service anymore. I've already paid $70 for nothing. I could have had a steak dinner, their response was, "Well you still have to pay it and your account is deactivated" and I'm like I don't care, I don't want it anyways, all of their email responses are very generic and they still think that I should pay $270 for something that I am not using after I've already paid $70. It's a joke.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I wish I had come to consumer affairs first and read the reviews before I was suckered into losing my money as well. I decided to try and online dating service again to find a companion. I didn't mind the test and jumping through the hoops that eHarmony required. After a couple of weeks I have found that there is a very limited pool of prospective clientele. You are not able to refine your searches. And I believe most of the clientele on this website have either canceled, no longer there, or perhaps do not even exist. Again, I wish I had checked these reviews first before I was an idiot and threw my money away. Please, please do not waste your time, heart, or money. This company is a complete and total rip off.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Don't bother wasting a penny with eHarmony. This dating site has seen better times, it is noticeably dated and its algorithms are just sad. There are so few paying members, well, so few members at all and the matches are just awful. I'm a 56 year old woman, successful, educated, intelligent and well traveled. I am extremely fit and healthy. I don't need a man but would like to find an equal to share my life with. EHarmony thinks I am best matched with people who have high school educations, mediocre jobs and mostly haven't traveled further than their neighboring city. None of the extremely limited matches looked they they had done any kind of exercise in the past 10 years. Coming back to the algorithms, I am liberal and live in a very blue part of Florida. In this day and age how on earth am I matched with so called moderates and conservatives. EHarmony has seen better days, once again - DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

In the 6 mos since I joined eHarmony I've had a grand total of TWO people contact me, both completely non-compatible after a few meetings. None of those I've contacted have responded. The so-called matches are laughable - literally nothing in common. I even set my parameters to be very flexible, to no avail. The 'pool' of men in my area is minuscule. A complete waste of money - and not cheap! I joined a site for older folks - our time. Immediate results, many enjoyable dates and meetings. Sure, not everyone has been second date material, but at least there is opportunity vs eharmony that has offered nothing. Save your money.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

This dating site is a joke and too expensive, I thought I saw they had a 2 month membership so I signed up for it...like a dummy. Once I got the confirmation email it said it was 24 months and would cost over 600.00 Dollars. I freaked out, called them immediately and explained the mistake I made and requested a refund. They flat out told me no and kept referring to the "terms and conditions" instead of trying to help resolve it. I mean it could not have been more 5 minutes after signed up. They refused to help so I called my bank and disputed the charges, they told me I had to close my bank account and open a new one to stop them from continuing to charge me...what a hassle!! Do not join this site, customer service is horrible and you get no grace period, finding love is not worth the hassle with eHarmony.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

After wasting 30 min filing their application, it only give you the option to pay either 6,12, 24 month. I would pay monthly and see if I like it or not but that's not the option. I deleted right away. Not worth it at all.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

One third of the members don’t have any photos and the “majority” of them are from out of state. I am not opposed to a long-distance relationship but several members who responded to me had a problem with that. Then their “matching” could not be more off!! I am world traveler, educated, classy lady and they are “matching” me based on their “tests” with farmers, construction workers, a couple of truck drivers and a chauffeur. Not that there is anything wrong or bad about those jobs however not a good match for me. So the high fee I paid was a complete waste of time and money! Tried to get out of it but they would not allow it. Very disappointing, they do not provide the kind of service they advertise, it is all PR.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

The site is too expensive and there is such a small pool of people that engage. Within that small group of people that choose to engage (pay the overpriced membership fee), most of them are not serious and are just kind of playing an expensive game. Also, eHarmony does not cater to people in their mid to upper 30s or low 40s. eHarmony permits individuals to lie about their age as well. Stay away from this provider.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The first warning was that on signing up, there was an automatic renewal at the end of the subscription period. Who would renew something that they had never tried? I cancelled the automatic renewal. After the emails of matches dwindled in the second half of the subscription period, I was glad that I had not renewed. However immediately after expiry and for a month I was inundated with emails about matches. This could not have been a coincidence. There were repeated emails requesting me to pay more money to renew to be able to make contact with the matches. This is less of a service and more of a predation on lonely hearts.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I joined eHarmony and used their 6 month service..what a waste of total money. Not enough matches. Paid hundreds of dollars for only one chat and ended up with nothing. I don't mind the time consuming questions that I have to answer, but not having enough matches and little replies makes things even worse...the truth free sites are just as good....the bottom line they took my money and they don't care if I find someone or not... it's all business!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Like everyone else signing up for a dating site, I was hoping to have a result that was joyous and love-filled. I read the cancellation policy and saw that I could cancel within the first 3 days if it was not for me. Turns out - they meant if I was American and I do have this in writing. The site only provided me with 7 dating options to choose from, and I found none of the men appealing. My preferences are not outlandish as I am open to Any Ethnicity, any height above 159cm and within the same city. It clearly did not take me long to realize there were no options (all of whom are also on the free dating sites), so within MINUTES of my account activation, I tried to cancel and thus began the runaround. I am now being forced to pay a total sum of just under $300 for a service that is not giving me anything in return.

The lack of understanding when speaking to the service representatives appears to be intentionally vacant and unconcerned. The representatives have told me that I need to broaden my preferences and it was eluded to that I need to be more open-minded - I also have this in writing. What is the point of having standards and preferences, if you are going to be asked to remove them?

What started out with optimism and high hopes is fast turning into a nightmare for me, as $300 is a lot of money to throw away these days. It makes me question if this is a sign that I should not be attempting to find love yet. Imagine that - a pay dating site that is acting as a deterrent for me. At the end of the day, I am quite disappointed in eHarmony and I would like my money back. That won't happen, so this is going to be the first post of many, on as many platforms as I can find. If I can prevent one other person from being robbed, then it will have been worth the effort. To all the other single hopefuls out there - I sincerely wish you all love and happiness.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

I signed up to this site to send someone a message, it showed me that the price was 50% off and listed the price at $14, however I missed the small print (My fault). I checkout via PayPal, but it never displayed the total before submitting payment, payment just went through. I check my bank account to see how much I actually paid, and it showed $361.00! You would think an ethical/transparent company would show your exactly how much you’re paying before you send them money.

I tried to contact customer services right away to cancel, not only did it take them two days for them to get back to me, they said that they were unable to cancel the payment, because I didn’t live in a State where the 3 day cancellation policy was in effect, and also due to the fact that they didn’t want to or have to. Where’s the customer service and customer loyalty? How can they hide the total of the price before checking out? Now I’m stuck with a subscription for a website I’ll never use, and I’m out of pocket $361.00. Anyone else have a similar experience, or have to deal with customer service with these guys?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

This is the worst dating site around. Costly fees, little to no matches. I was on this website for one week and immediately wanted to cancel my membership. I even told them to keep the first payment, but release me from the additional payments. This is ridiculous to have to pay $315 for a service I will not be using. Worst dating site. Take your money somewhere else. I have had less hassle returning furniture than cancelling a subscription to a dating website. Please do not waste your time. Use websites like Bumble or Match. These websites have more matches and are less expensive and you can cancel anytime.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Around the holidays EharMONEY sent out a promotion that indicated that I would sign up for one month and have two months for free. The cost was minimal and I believed that that’s what I signed up for. However as it turned out, they have taken $104 out of my account every month since then. I tried to cancel and they said there’s no way to cancel. My “matches” a whopping 7 over the past 3 months were not even close to what I described as a match. Not even close. They are taking advantage of people in the midst of a pandemic, draining bank accounts and using unclear advertising to sucker you in. Don’t fall for it!!!! I could do so much better in finding a match by going to Trader Joe’s once. And that would only be at the cost of my own groceries.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I entered the online dating world having read reviews of all the major dating sites. eHarmony was consistently rated in the top 3. My experience has been that people truly get what they pay for, so I applied this to my selection of eHarmony over the competition with my initial choice of dating services. After completing the evaluation I reviewed those who rated above 100 on their compatibility scale. There were 2 that rated above 120, and I reached out to both. Of the 2 I reached out to, one responded with interest, the other politely informed me she was focusing on another. The person who responded with interest and I met, had a nice dinner together, and have been together ever since. I connected with her and began our journey on the very first day of using eHarmony!

I was skeptical of the compatibility index, and the actual compatibility of two humans meeting after taking the evaluation. Honestly, I have not had such a great connection with a partner in my life. The ability to openly communicate is great for us. I attribute this to the close compatibility for openness and communication we both shared on the evaluation. In my personal experience, and in the geographic region I live, I give eHarmony very high marks and would recommend the service to anyone seeking a serious love interest and life partner.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I have fell victim as many other customers that feel tricked into the length of time they’re being put on a subscription. Once you get another enormous charge you figure out that they have taken it upon themselves to select the subscription and when you realize it they give you all hell and zero opportunity to pay for what you’ve used and to cancel out.

They even go as far to have a collection agency come after you after your bank and PayPal have dealt with them along with your multiple letters. They don’t care about. They rather fight you to pay however many hours to deal with an unhappy customer and in the long run they have already spent more trying to get a measly hundred dollars out of a customer rather than just saying, "Sorry you are unhappy and we can correct this mistake next time and maybe you would come back." They absolutely can cancel a subscription, they choose not to and in the long run they spend more time sending people to tell you they can’t and answering emails and better business reports than just canceling the subscription.

It is the only dating site that I have noticed that had almost 0 matches in a very large city that I live in. I don’t know how they’re not being sued more they already have been sued for sending people to collections. There are many other dating sites that are easy to opt out of and have better matches. Stay away from eharmony.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

This service is a rip off. The customer care should be called company care as they do not address or care about your concerns, they enforce the T&Cs. The free app is useless and the paid version is not worth the extremely high cost. I live in California and my parameters were 10 year age difference within 30 miles, which resulted in very few matches. Read the T&C carefully, you only have THREE days to cancel and get a refund or not be charged remaining amounts. Most companies offer seven days and others up to 30 days. I tried to cancel after 15 days due to the disappointing service and was told no and referred to the T&C, so I am out $400. They are in this for money and do not care about the quality of their service or you, the consumer. Don’t waste your money. You would be more likely to win the lottery than find a match or receive good customer service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

The people they match you with are questionable if they're real or not and then on top of that if you want your money back they don't do refunds. It's an absolute rip off. Don't buy it. The service isn't worth what they're charging and you can get your money back when you see how bad the service is. How are they still in business?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I had an experience with eHarmony where there was false advertising. I thought I was signing up for a short time and it ended up for one year. They are going to continuously charge me. It was a terrible customer experience. Don’t use eHarmony.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I finally decided to join eHarmony based on the reviews and my recent dating failures on other apps. I figured I pay then maybe I’ll meet someone who is serious. I ran of matches within an hour!!!! No one is on the app and not to be mean but not attractive potential partners. I am embarrassed that I paid so much for a stupid app that was a waste of money and time. I wish eHarmony goes out of business. They are a scam!!!!

eHarmony Company Information