1.25/5
Based on 455 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Classmates.com formerly Memory Lane

2232 Classmates.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 6, 2018

I thought I would find a certain classmate on this site that I have been looking for years. I had no success in finding her. It was my understanding that I would receive a notice when this subscription was up for renewal, but I did not receive it and had forgotten all about it. They dinged me for another 2 years at $72. It is a LOUSY site. I called customer service and the lady was very cold and very rude. If you give these people your credit card number, YOU WILL BE SORRY. I will leave it up to my credit card company now. BTW, if I could give them a NEGATIVE five stars, I certainly would. It hurts to even give them a one star.

Original review: May 2, 2018

When you try this service for the first time, they don't make it clear that they will auto-renew the subscription for TWO YEARS at the end of the first year. They claim to notify you in advance before renewing the subscription, but they send so much useless spam all the time that you won't recognize it as a renewal notice. Then they hit you with the charge for two full years in advance, using the old payment information from the prior year; and even if you protest that you never use the service, and even if you try to cancel THE SAME DAY the renewal period starts, they refuse to refund the advance subscription charge. This company is a bunch of professional CHEATERS who skate just inside the limits of legality.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2018 Yesterday I had a charge for $72 posted to my credit card for a renewal of Classmates subscription. In March 2016 I signed up for 1 year. I did not use the subscription frequently and decided I would not renew. The current charge came thru Amazon Pay. It was charged to my new credit card, with my new

number, totally different number and new security code. My original card was compromised and we had it replaced in 2017 because some charges showed up that were not ours.

I sent a e-mail to Classmates and they sent me a reply to go on their site and cancel subscription and they will let me use the site till the $72 subscription runs out. That is not acceptable since I received no notice of renewal (like what legitimate companies do). They make legitimate companies look bad, even magazines send you renewal forms. I will await a reply from them until I take further action. I do not know how they got my new credit card number. Do not give Classmates your credit card.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Classmates took an old account and switches it without my approval to auto renewal. I only found out by them sending a payment to PayPal they were requesting $ 48, which in return posted this online to me. I went and disputed with my PayPal account which I have not heard anything from. I also contacted Classmates and they say basically tough crap, they claim in the fine print that this is explained and cannot refund me anything. I switched my account to manual renewal again and deleted everything off their website. Credit card was going to dispute it, but found they charged me $24 last year I did not catch back then. Let's all contact the US States Attorneys and file a class action suit against them. In 2006 Time Inc. did this also. US states attorneys made them refund 4.1 million dollars of unfair renewals. I for one Am Filing a claim to the NY states attorney. Don't let them get away with this.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Buyer beware: Ordered a reprint of my 1981 yearbook. I wish I had read the complaints listed on ConsumerAffairs before I ordered. The reprint quality was so terrible. It looks like all they did was copy the original book with a cheap copy. I complained to them and asked for a refund. Of course they would give me one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Classmates.com?

Original review: March 14, 2018

Ordered what I thought was a 1967 Yearbook. Sent a 1965. When I complained said they did not have a 1967 yearbook and I should have known I was getting the older book. Very deceiving the way they explain the information on their website. They would not accept returns and I am stuck with the wrong yearbook. I see where they are under investigation for these same actions. The quality of the materials are of poor quality. They need to be prosecuted.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Classmates charged a two year membership fee automatically from my account without any prior notice. A one year renewal was what set up and they done two years. I complained and requested a complete refund along with cancellation of my account and elimination of any and all personal information. They refused and stated I would be listed in their site for two more years. This place is a total ripoff to begin with.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Classmates.com is a scam website. They post fake messages from fake people trying to get you to join which I did for one month. Then they sold my email address and I was flooded with junk mail and charged my card another 16.50 without my permission and now refuse to refund it. DO NOT give Classmates.com your credit card info or email. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Renewal charges - Classmates charged my PayPal account. They never notified me. If not for an email from PayPal I would never have known. The charge was for 72.00 but there was mention of it being 108.00. I read previous complaints and did not bother to call them. I called PayPal instead and PayPal removed the charge. Apparently this has happened many times before.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I joined Classmates.com 2 years ago. I connected with 3 people, but now, with Facebook, it's an unnecessary membership. I did order a reprint of my HS yearbook, but it is very poor quality. My main problem is that I didn't realize that I was enrolled in an automatic renewal plan, so now, 2 years later, I am charged $72. They will not refund it, because it was supposedly in the membership agreement. They also said they sent an email reminder, but since I get daily junk mail from them, it got deleted or lost-- I never saw it. Just know what you're signing up for.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

You will be continually billed every year or two without pre-notification. I was auto billed through PayPal yesterday. If it weren't for PayPal notifying me, I would never have known about the billing. Classmates, of course, sent out no notice. I went on Classmates and changed the AUTO BILLING to manual. I don't remember EVER choosing AUTO BILLING. I actually went on my PayPal account and deleted as many of the accounts and cards as it would allow me. When this is over I will definitely close my PayPal account so Classmates can't do it to me again next year. I never got anything out of the original membership. No past classmates contacted me and the whole thing is a sham. WASTE of your time and money to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I received a notice from Paypal that Classmates had charged $59.00 to my account on 12/26/2017. I was never contacted regarding a renewal and definitely not for $59.00. What a rip-off! I contacted classmates in writing and was told on the accounts page everything is stated and that by participating you automatically agree and that they had sent me a notice 30 days prior (never received). Pretty much saying there is nothing I could not and they were not reversing the charge. However, they went on to say that after this charge I would be a free member with no more charges. Yeah right... until the company is sold again or they make up new rules.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I belonged to Classmates.com with a paid membership for 2 years only around 2009 or 2010. More than a year after I canceled my paid membership, I saw that they had renewed my subscription via my Discover Card every January for the last few years, this falling after I had canceled my paid membership, sent them an email about this, then apparently forgot about the situation. A year later, I again noticed a renewal on my Discover bill. I contacted Discover, and they said they can only do something if I document calling Classmates and give them the date and name of the person I talked to asking for resolution of this matter. Then, they said, it would be a wait until the following January to see if this fraud continued before Discover could act against them. I called Classmates.com. They had been sold to another company. The new company did not have me as a paid member and denied billing me or receiving money from me.

So apparently it was the previous owner of Classmates who continued billing even though they were gone. Well, I wasn't going to wait for it to happen again a year later, and I really did not believe at this point that Discover had my best interest at heart. I felt unsupported by Discover. So I regretfully (it was my favorite credit card) called and canceled, fully explaining why their policy was my reason to cancel. I paid off the card balance in the following months, the account closed, and I have not heard from Classmates again, nor have they found a way to charge me in perpetuity. Don't even START with Classmates.com at any level -- paid or not. It's all a dead end and may cost you for nothing.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

It all began when I received an email from PayPal that I was being charged 48.00 dollars by Classmates.com to which I immediately disputed. After also putting by bank on notice of the unauthorized transaction, I was informed that Classmates was saying that I signed on 9/21/2016 for a 12 month Classmates+ membership with registration ID: ** for an amount of 24.00 dollars that also renews automatically for an additional amount of 48.00 dollars, and is nonrefundable. I believe if I saw this on an invoice, I would have walked away. I believe anyone would.

I never had a paid membership with the Classmates website. Checking back to my 2016 Chase card statements I discovered that PayPal did charge me 24.00 dollars on behalf of Classmates. However, I was not aware of it at the time, and it must have gotten past my scrutiny undetected. If I had known, I would have disputed it immediately. How this could have occurred, is a mystery, for I certainly would not have made the purchase, and then never use it. I had received many emails from Classmates over the years pestering me to visit their website because some of my high school classmates wanted to connect with me. I may also have visited the website a few times out of curiosity, or to try and stop those pesky emails, but otherwise I had no interest in their services.

I believe all visitors to the Classmates website become free memberships upon online, and information is collected and stored in their database for future use. Therefore, I assume I was also in their database. I understand there are about 60 million free members, who visited the website, but only less than 5 percent are paid members. To my knowledge, I did not register or create a paid account with Classmates. In fact, this is the first time I have ever seen the Classmates member database. I certainly would not have registered my own name incorrectly; without the middle initial, and using a small "g," in the last name. Except for visits as a free member mentioned above, I had no known business transactions with Classmates.

The ID now being used for the renewal charges was created on 9/24/2008 ID: **; over 9 years ago. I have no reason to believe it was more than a free membership account one receives when first visiting their website, because a paid membership requires a registration, billing information, and is secured by a password account, and there is no such information shown in this database, or in my own records. I believe that Classmates used this ID old account data, and the information they acquired from free membership, to charge my PayPal account, and without my agreement and authorization.

I did not seek a paid membership subscription renewal with Classmates, or knowingly authorize Classmates to charge my PayPal account 48.00 dollars for a subscription renewal, automatic or otherwise. The implication that it was stated somewhere on the invoice, rings of deception, and scam. In addition, that I did not knowingly authorize or select the use of the automatic renewal program to charge my PayPal account for use with Classmates, means it was not likely to have been a key feature of the sale. I did not receive a receipt for an order to purchase a subscription, or a renewal of a subscription. I did not receive an email notification of the impending renewal charges, the increase in the charges, or the date such renewal would be effective. Therefore, it also follows that I did not agree to accept the terms of agreement as set forth for a paid member, and I conclude that the transaction was indeed unauthorized.

In my opinion, Classmates has not provided sufficient information to support their contesting of the claim. They did not provide the necessary copies of the receipts or invoices, copies of the email notifications that were sent, proof that I signed in with a password on a login window, or even an acceptance of the terms and provisions that would typically accompany and support such a purchase. No evidence means no proof. No proof that I authorized the renewal. The remainder of Classmates supporting documents are vague and insignificant. They contain various undated, incomplete, and obscure information; including hypothetical examples, that are mostly illegible, that I was unable to read or decipher, and that were nonspecific to my situation.

Further, I believe that Classmates was duly notified, within a reasonable amount of time, and a refund should have been honored. When my emails went out that the renewal charges, and the paid membership subscription renewal was not authorized, or wanted, and demand for the subscription be cancelled, and immediately refunded; I sensed a bit of concern. The reconsideration which followed included offering me a 60 percent reduction of the 48.00 dollar charges for the same 12 month renewal.

However, I refused. I do not want to continue business with Classmates. It is my opinion that a refund would be a fairer and simpler resolution for all concerned, and would incur minimal or no loss to Classmates. However, Classmates did not care that I was not satisfied with the product, did not want the product, and have no use for the product; all they seemed concerned with, was the money, that is, until they thought they might lose it all.

Does it make good business sense to force someone to pay for something that they do not want; whether it was the result of a mistake, a technical oversight or error, a change of plans, or that they no longer need it? The automatic renewal program should not be used as an entrapment, or a device to force someone to buy something they do not want. Instead, I'm sure it was intended as a convenience, to ensure ease of continuity and processing for both for the customer and the merchant; not as a means to lock in a sale, or hold a customer hostage until you get what you want. I hope we still favor good business ethics, over just making a good sale, and that this sort of aggressive salesmanship is deemed unlawful and discontinued.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My first awareness that my subscription to "Classmates" had been "renewed" was a notification that l had "authorized" payment for same via PayPal. This apparently falls under some small-print nonsense of which l was not aware. The subscription is automatically renewed, charged for first, and the unfortunate subscriber notified second. I emailed Classmates immediately upon receipt of their renewal notification, stating l was NOT interested in renewal, but was charged anyway.

In order to NOT renew requires the hapless subscriber to log in to Classmates, go to the account page and notify THEM. There was no reminder notice of pending subscription expiration, no option to renew or not renew, no updating of account status or the like. This is an unscrupulous site, sleazy and unsavory. Whether they are "legal" or not, they are ripping off their clients with an absence of information provided on a business-like and good-faith basis. This site should be investigated. Apparently Better Business Bureau is well aware of Classmates and has received countless other complaints.I will lodge one myself with BBB within the next 48 hours.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Misrepresentation of charges for product. Site does not tell you all costs until after billing info entered. After entry, they let you know its considerably more than presented in initial offer. Had to call my bank and file complaint with BBB who already knows about them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

First... I never sign up for automatic renewals... Never. I was notified that my PayPal account had been charged three days ago with an automatic renewal for Classmates. I did not want to renew because I get messages from a person that I don't know now and have never known. I wanted to stop my subscription because of this but Classmates charged me anyway. I call them and the person told me there was nothing she could do except remove me from the subscription. Even though the payment was only 3 days old, she could not refund any of my money. Therefore, I paid three months price for a three days' subscription which I didn't order in the first place. Beware of this kind of scam. Be very careful. Now I must open another PayPal account to keep them from using my existing account again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I found an unauthorized charge for 1 year by Classmates.com. I did not have auto-renewal turned on nor did I even have a credit card for them to charge. Somehow, they obtained a number for a Debit Card that I have never used online and submitted that. I am going to take this to the max that I can, reporting them to State and Federal authorities. When I told them about the unauthorized charge they offered to give me a discounted membership saying that is all they can do. They are ignoring the fact that what they did is the same thing Wells Fargo recently did and it is FRAUD. I recommend that nobody ever renew with Classmates and if you're not signed up with them that you never sign up.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Beware. Classmates.com renewed my subscription without authority from me through my Paypal account on July 25, 2017. After speaking with a Paypal representative, she told me that Paypal authorized Classmates to go INTO my checkbook (which was attached to my Paypal account ) and they withdraw $59.00 from my account, unbeknown to me. I contacted Classmates and they said that I had automatic renewal. This was a lie, as I checked my account on Classmates and it said "manual". Stay away from Classmates and check on Paypal.

I see FRAUD HERE. Consequently, Classmates is doing NOTHING about refunding my $59.00. However, I have canceled my PayPal account, went to my bank and have canceled my checking account attached to Paypal, and canceled my Paypal credit card. I have written to classmates and I will be canceling my subscription with them when this so called "automatic renewal is up and want all my information deleted on the site at that time. I will also be contacting the Attorney General's Office here in Massachusetts to lodge a complaint. Shame on Classmates.com.

Original review: July 5, 2017

They sent me a 1976 yearbook which they said I ordered. I graduated in 1977. All of the comments in the yearbook were addressed to someone named Pam? Obviously, the wrong book was sent. They said they cannot give refunds after printing. What a total ripoff this company is.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Like many others here, I too was charged for a 2-year automatic renewal for $59.00. I never received an email advising me of same; and only discovered it when I went online to my bank. For some reason -- not by my own doing -- my Classmates preference was changed to automatic renewals. I have now deleted all of my personal information at that site and contacted my bank, who have placed a stop payment on the fraudulent charge (at a $35.00 bank fee). A wholly infuriating experience... and this practice should be ILLEGAL!

Original review: June 3, 2017

Recently, Classmates.com automatically billed my cc $59. I did not request this billing. When I tried to obtain the refund, they turned me down. Do I have to hire a lawyer and sue them? They had no right to just take my money!

Original review: June 3, 2017

My first subscription to Classmates was back in 2001. Back then they did not have automatic renewals and they would ask you to renew when your year expired. I only paid for a subscription three times, the last one being in 2006 or 2007. After it expired I had no interest in renewing it as I no longer had a need for their site. I went about my life for about five years. Then a strange charge appeared on my credit card in 2012. It was from Memory Lane. I had no idea what that was so I looked it up on the Internet and learned that was the new name, at that time, of Classmates. They'd been purchased by Memory Lane and were even using that name for a while. I had never resubscribed, so I knew this charge was in error.

I found their agreement contract on their site and read that all "subscription renewals" were "non-refundable." I also saw that they had changed over to automatic renewals sometime after I'd completed my last subscription, five years before. I immediately contacted the credit card they charged and explained what they did. I had never authorized "automatic renews" with my previous subscription, five years before, and they had not been Memory Lane (with their new rules) back then, either.

When they changed over to Memory Lane they automatically renewed old subscriptions and were refusing to credit people their money back even though the renewals were unauthorized by the customers. My credit card promptly disputed it on my behalf and issued me a new card. I won the case! Now I see they are no longer calling themselves Memory Lane but Classmates again. They are shady and clever. I recommend no one have anything to do with them. What a scam they have going.

Original review: May 30, 2017

DO NOT subscribe to this product. If you do, watch the tactics they employ to renew for an entire year without your approval. I would subscribe for a couple of months at a time just to keep in touch. I have NOT and would NEVER subscribe for an entire year. Somehow, they claim I resubscribed one month ago (MAY 2017), which I did not! And my credit card was charged $48.00 for an entire year subscription. When I called to have my credit card credited I was told that I did not read the disclaimer stating that I was responsible for the cancellation or renewal was automatic. Again, I did not knowingly resubscribe in May 2017. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and my credit card. I cancelled my subscription even after the representative informed me I would lose my $42.00. NOW does this sound like somebody that intentionally subscribed and wanted an automatic renewal?

Original review: May 9, 2017

Classmates.com changed their format. I'm not sure of the exact date but it had to be in the last year or so because all of a sudden a pic that I had loaded that was originally cropped from the neck up was published to the internet uncropped showing way too much cleavage which I obviously was NOT intending to upload WHATSOEVER!!! They will NOT remove the pic & now I have lost jobs & many chances to obtain jobs because of this as I am in the healthcare field!!! My reputation is RUINED by this!! I was wearing a low cut tank & had used a crop tool that used to be on the old format & when I checked my account it was still posted as cropped but they downloaded the FULL LARGE image in a very LARGE pic onto Google search so that everyone who does a search of my name sees a massive inappropriate pic of me!! WHY would they do this??? Are they now trying to turn this into some kind of sick dating site or something??

If I could give them -5 STARS I would. I will now be getting my lawyer to help me rectify this situation & sue them if possible for loss of income & all the stress they have caused me & my mortified bosses & family! You can even see the original neck up cropped smaller photo further along in the pics posted with my name! They did this on purpose! I'm FURIOUS! They will PAY!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

Personal Opinion... Due to the EXTREME high number of Classmates "Complaints" online, I am not sure that any "agreement" from Classmates will hold me as a member without a lawyer behind me. What they say and what they do, are two different things altogether. The premise is good but the method for a paid subscription is very worrisome. At the end of your trial period the cost doubles and you will be the one to continue to pay it with little, if any, choice. I am against the automatic withdrawal of funds from my bank account by ANYONE, at ANYTIME for any reason. This is what Classmates plans after its trial ends.

Original review: April 10, 2017

They have also placed a hefty debt on my bank account and you can't get through to them. Judging by everyone else's experience, they will refuse to refund, but I'm taking this to the fraud division of my bank.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I have been a member of Classmates for over 10 years. The last time I renewed was in 2015 for $31.83. My credit card has changed since then. Much to my surprise I see a Pending Charge for $63.66 for another 2 years of membership. No notification of renewal. And somehow they acquired my new Credit Card Number. I did not update the information. This is totally unacceptable and deceptive. Besides that the price doubled. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I signed up for Classemates.com in 2016 since they had a half price special for the year. So I signed up just for the one year or so I thought. Anyway, I was recently charged a $48.00 renewal fee for 2017 for which I did not knowingly authorize. I called Classmates.com to get a refund and was told that when I signed up that I signed up for automatic renewals. I was also told that renewal fees are non-refundable. I probably accessed their website maybe 2x in 2016. Why would I want to pay $48.00 for another year?! After hanging up on the Classmates representative, I promptly called my bank to dispute the $48.00 charge.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017 I have been a Classmates member for many years and watched the service make many changes which, in my humble opinion, make the service worse, often requiring multiple clicks where one or two used to be required. I do submit my issues to them and if they reply, it's pretty much boiler plate, just a pat response.

This time, I have lost the capability to use the "All Yearbooks" search option, or to advance from an initial page display to the next page. This means that if there are 50 schools attended by people with the same last name as the person of interest, I can only access one page of 10 schools. Under the old scheme, the school lists were much longer.

When I try to advance to the next 10 schools, I get a nag claiming "Oops! We can't find what you're looking for." It has been two weeks since I noticed the problem. I'm suspecting that the company is punishing me for "not so positive" comments about their increasingly clunky website. As far as I know, there is no way to identify 'paid members' who are the only ones that search capability works for so I can ask them to try their search features.

Classmates.com Company Information