1.24/5
Based on 476 reviews that contain star ratings

Classmates.com formerly Memory Lane

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2253 Classmates.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased a reprint of my high school yearbook. The quality is horrible. Pictures are very dark and some of the pictures of people are stretched so much that they look very tall and their heads look like a cone head. Called about a refund and was told that they do not refund any money and they won't take the yearbook back. I am so angry about this. So whatever you do DO NOT PURCHASE A YEARBOOK FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Somehow they were able to charge my credit card for $15 for a 3-month sub without my authorization and they even used an incorrect expiration date. I contacted them via email about this and was told they have a no-refund policy. We were on day number 2 into the 3-month sub by the way.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 5, 2019

Classmates.com continues to withdraw $15.00 per month from my account, although I have cancelled several times! I know they owe me for at least 4 months totaling $140.00 dollars. It is VERY hard to get in touch with them and I have received no response from them. A civil suit needs to be brought against them! They're ripping people off!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Someone took pictures off my Facebook account and posted them on classmates.com. There was 3 linked to my name; my mother's navy picture, a grave marking of my husband's sister, and I voted. I did not post this to classmates.com. Since finding them on the site I have taken measures to try and stop it through privacy settings.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Buyer beware. If after buying a membership make sure you know if you are set up for auto renewal. My membership was set up for auto renewal without my knowledge. When my membership was up for renewal I did not receive any type of notice advising me of the auto renewal. I had no intentions of renewing, but it was renewed automatically. When I contacted Classmates.com they were not very helpful. I told them about not wanting to renew and at first they did not want to help. After several messages to them telling them I wanted no membership and wanted a refund they were willing to give me a cheaper membership with limited access. When I still told them I wanted NO membership they finally said they would make an exception and refund my funds. It only took approximately 6-7 messages to them complaining about the lack of notice of renewal and asking for a refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Classmates.com?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Beware -- if you buy a three month membership occasionally, make sure your automatic renewal is not on or, at the end of the three months, they will give you a year membership, whether you want it or not -- and charge you for it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

They automatically signed me up for 2 years at the tune of 72.00. I wasn't informed and the money was taken from my account. I spoke with customer service that decided to refund my money, only after I threaten them with small claims court. Never again will I subscribe to these rip off artist.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Be very careful of Classmates as they renew you without your consent and will not refund any money even when you complain to them. They are charging a new debit card that I have never taken out of my billfold after getting it. Service dept. is very rude and very unhelpful. Hoping we can get some help from BBB.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I received a notice from my PayPal account that I authorized payment to Classmate.com to renew my subscription. I immediately contacted PayPal that I did not authorize this transaction. PayPal had already sent the payment. I immediately contacted Classmates.com and I was told that there were no refunds once they received a payment. They said I had to manually remove the auto renewal on their website. They sent a link to make the change. I tried the link and it said it was unable to connect because Classmates had not sent any information. I contacted them again and this time they informed me that they had removed the link for the auto renewal. They said I should enjoy the website because I had already paid for they next cycle. I asked for the name and number of the owner of this site but no information was provided.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

If you think it is a good idea to subscribe to Classmates.com so that you can look up old school friends be sure that you understand this. Once you subscribe, the default setting for billing is 'Automatic Renewal'. This means that you will be automatically billed again once your original subscription ends. My advice: if you do subscribe make sure that you immediately go to your 'Account' settings and switch the billing preference from "Automatic' to "Manual'. In case this doesn't work, I would also advise you to use a credit card that you could easily cancel without affecting other auto payments.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Many years ago I was a member of classmates.com. I ended the relationship due to frustration on my part and lack of help or concern on their part. Fast forward to 2018. I decided to give it a try again, hoping things might be better this time. Big mistake! Things are even worse than they were backed in! I'm not able to find anything in there. I try to find people whose names start with R', S's or T', and it keeps throwing me back to the pages with the A's B's and C's. I have hunted and hunted for hours and hours and hours trying to find an alphabet so I can select which page I wish to see.

I even wrote to them about it and they gave me a non-answer. I'm still not able to get to the R's, S's or T's without going page by page all the way through starting at the A's time after time after time. Nowhere on my screen am I able to locate an alphabet! This is one of the problems I had with them 15 years ago! Shame on me for giving them another chance. That is only one of my problems with them. I also can't seem to really communicate with anyone or find out anything or follow conversations on message boards. There used to be a message board. Where the hell is it? It's a very lonely experience maneuvering your way around on classmates.com. Very lonely. It's nearly impossible to deal with.

Another problem is they keep showing me the same pictures every day in my email. I keep getting messages like somebody shared a new picture so I go in there and look and it's the same stupid pictures I've been looking at for 3 months now! Not only that if I don't remember to remove my damn visit, it is notifying people that I'm checking out their profiles when I'm not! It's just that they keep shoving those pictures into my face and then telling those people that I'm visiting their profile! The onus should not beyond us to remove our visits from profiles we never intended to visit anyway! These people suck big time! Please read all of these reviews before you step in it like I did!

You'll have a better chance of finding your old friends on Facebook than you ever will on classmates.com. I told them to cancel my membership and take my name off the list! I'm really mad at myself for falling for it again! But this is the last time that will ever happen. This is absolutely the worst website I've ever been to! I'm sorry I even have to give them one star just so I can make these comments. If I could I would be subtracting stars! They couldn't stink more!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Pictures of "former classmates" are never from my class! Each message also claims that I left a message during my visit. I have never heard of any of the people whom I supposedly visited nor have I left any messages. I graduated in Jan. 1954. Most of the posts are of people who graduated in 1957. Consequently I have no desire to renew my membership!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I want to share my experience with any who are considering Classmates.com. I decided to look around on the app and got in on a 3-month special. I cancelled my subscription; however, I was charged. I cancelled again and called my bank who refunded the money back to me. I was happy to see no charges in June then they charged my account again in July. I called my bank then cancelled again. I went to my bank and see another $15 charge from Classmates.com. At this point I am furious and feel like the crooks at Classmates.com have assaulted me. The only way to keep these thieves from taking money from my account is to cancel my bank card. Not a hard thing but the number won’t work for any other payments I want to make. Do I consider the card or a lawyer? I wonder how many others have experienced this kind of abuse. DO NOT TRUST THEM, DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY INFORMATION. There should be a class action lawsuit. Disgusted.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I perused Classmates quite a long time ago and of course, in order to look at my classmates, I had to join. I am certain I did not give them PayPal information. I recently got a notification from PayPal that I had authorized a payment to Classmates of $48! When I called PayPal, they said they could not stop the payment and that I had to contact Classmates. I hunted through their site until I found a page where I could change from "automatic" to "manual", which I did. Foolishly, I thought that was the end of it. Instead, I find they did indeed put the charge through my PayPal account.

Just now did a search and discovered they had also charged me in 2017. I found an email address for them via Google but have not heard back from them. I also posted on their Facebook page and private messaged them on FB. I'm now going back to searching for some way to stop them from charging my PayPal account again. PayPal suggested I close my account but really, does anyone want to do THAT? Bottom line is that Classmates is a fraudulent rip off.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Signed up with Classmates and every time I go to log in it says I have the wrong password but I was just on it yesterday using the same password. This site is the most pathetic site I have ever visited. Do not join this company. They don't care about you. And I guess that's why there's no phone number to call.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I found a charge from Classmates.com on my credit card dated 6/12/18. I called the credit card company and said I didn't use Classmates.com anymore; I refused the charge. My credit card sent me the paperwork that Classmates.com is disputing my claim of fraud. It says in the Classmates.com dispute, that I signed as a member on 6/12/2012 and it was a 2-year renewal contract. I had to have canceled at some point before 2014. I had the credit card company check my records and there was no charge to Classmates.com on 6/12/14 or 6/12/16; sounds like there is no auto renewal going on; but, then I get a charge on 6/12/18 for $59. And the charge is based on 6/12/2012 issue and not anything I did this year.

The credit card company is not paying the claim. (It seems Classmates.com has a 'no refund' policy and they are not happy.) It has the impression of fraud. It looks like they found an account with a card # and just renewed it. The dispute said they sent me emails; I did not receive any. I've had the same email since 2003. Finally I called Classmates.com to make sure not to renew me again. They can't find my account or a charge to my card... Watch your cards and never pay with a debit card, you can't get money back. Thank you credit card! I have read several other claims of the same and is why I write this review.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I joined Classmates with a paid membership. I noticed that I was getting emails every day stating my profile and just been viewed or I had just been tagged in a photos and such. But when I went to the site, it just wasn't so. They send these teaser emails to try to get you to go to the site. Then when on the site there's more marketing on the right side "try clicking these names". Why? I sent an email to customer service who said they would forward my concern to the email marketing team. It stopped for a month and then started back again. I have asked to be removed from the email marketing funnel. And begun forwarding their Spam at uce.gov. They monitor spam in the US.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have received six emails in the past week and when I tried to connect to the link to view the posted pictures, Norton Mobile Security blocked the link with a Malicious Website banner, and then I left the site. I contacted them about the first one and now I have received six more and they are all listed as malicious. Needless to say I will be unsubscribing as soon as I send them another message letting them know about the problem again! I am just glad I had Norton Mobile Security on my phone.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I've been on Classmates.com for about 4 to 5 years. Everything used to be great. You could start a discussion with a lot of people. You could look for people on the discussion page. You could post picture & albums. It was really great. About year ago they change the whole website. Now you couldn't start a discussion with anyone and they took away so many things you use to be able to do... and when I try to look at all my albums that I had put pictures in you couldn't see them.

So I contacted customer service. They told me they would check into it and find out what happened after they upgraded their website. About 4 months went by and I contacted them again saying I'm still not able to look at my pictures since you upgraded your website. They said our Technical Support team is working on it. So they gave me one year of free classmate. I said that would be wonderful and they were sorry for the frustration I was having and the inconvenience. Well I waited 6 months and email them again and I got the same response from Tech-Support we're working on it we are truly sorry for the frustration you're having and we understand the inconvenience.

So I posted a video and sent it to them showing them the problem I was having and I even took my computer to the computer store that built it for me and told them what was the problem I was having thinking something might be wrong with my computer. Well there was nothing wrong. They try to see if they could see my picture albums with their computer and they could not see them. I said, "Well can't be my computer, it's not your computer. So let me contact some of my friends on Classmates and see if they can see my pictures." They all told me they cannot see them also.

So last week 8/5/2018 I contacted them again and talk to LAShawn who is the Member Care, Tier II Representative. This time after they review the Video and all the emails she said it's my computer that was the problem because they can see it and there is nothing they can do about it. I said look I started out with Windows 7, then I went to windows XP and now with Windows 10. I said I've used just about every website like Bring, Opera, Internet Explorer and I still could not see my pictures so it's not my computers. LaShawn said, "Yes it is your computer. I said, "Look all the people that have tried to look at my pictures said they can't see it. Either so are you telling me that their computers are bad too." La Shawn said, "Yes everybody computers are the problem." I said, "No the problem is your server or it's on your end. This all started since you change the website.

So LaShawn said, "Look we are not going to do anymore with this so we will just remove you from Classmates and you can be on your way." And that's just what they did. They took me off the Classmates. Nice bunch of people. So stay off of Classmates because if you have any problems there not going to help. All they are gonna do is feed you a line of crap. So when La Shawn said they are removing me I said, "Remember I am somebody's paycheck and they don't get one now," and she hung up on me. Just stay off the site. That's all I can tell you these people just want your money but they don't wanna fix a problem.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was charged a yearly membership fee automatically on June 28, 2018 which I did not know I had approved of, anyway the day I was charged, I wrote to them immediately and received this reply, "Hi Jamie, Thanks for your message. We're sorry to hear that you wish to cancel. To discontinue your paid membership after the current term, follow the steps below: At the top right of any page, click the gear icon and select Account. Select Account & Billing and enter your password. Click Turn off automatic renewal. Click Yes to confirm your decision. By changing your renewal option to Manual, your account will not be charged again. You'll continue to receive paid benefits until your expiration date."

I responded, "Hello Peggy. Since I was just charged today can that not be reversed?" And I got this message back: "Hi Jamie, Thanks for your reply. I’ve confirmed your membership is no longer in automatic renewal and you will not be charged again. Your paid status will expire on 9/28/2018." This was in no way helpful and I contacted within 20 minutes of being charged. This is unacceptable.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I wish I read the reviews here before I found that awful site. I wanted to get my dad a copy of his high school yearbook. I ordered it through Amazon from Classmates. After reading and seeing the AWFUL quality, I was able to cancel my Amazon order. Here’s the kicker... I couldn’t find my grandma’s yearbook on amazon but I did find it one the classmates' site. My grandma passed away 6 years ago and I would have loved to have a copy of the yearbook! I placed my order and the site said that my card couldn’t be accepted. So I tried again. Same message. So I switched cards and used my credit card. Same message. Then all of a sudden I get a text message from my bank that my debit card was compromised.

I called my bank and they said the $59 dollar charge had been placed 4 times in a matter of seconds from Classmates. I entered my info once, then a second time when I was told it was rejected. Luckily my bank blocked the charges. I wasn’t so lucky with my credit card. I paid for the $59 1965 yearbook FOUR times with both cards and unfortunately the charges went through on my card. I will call to dispute ASAP. I feel extremely ripped off and upset that this company is even allowed to sell products. I have NEVER dealt with such a shady site and I’m seriously disgusted.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I thought I would find a certain classmate on this site that I have been looking for years. I had no success in finding her. It was my understanding that I would receive a notice when this subscription was up for renewal, but I did not receive it and had forgotten all about it. They dinged me for another 2 years at $72. It is a LOUSY site. I called customer service and the lady was very cold and very rude. If you give these people your credit card number, YOU WILL BE SORRY. I will leave it up to my credit card company now. BTW, if I could give them a NEGATIVE five stars, I certainly would. It hurts to even give them a one star.

Original review: May 2, 2018

When you try this service for the first time, they don't make it clear that they will auto-renew the subscription for TWO YEARS at the end of the first year. They claim to notify you in advance before renewing the subscription, but they send so much useless spam all the time that you won't recognize it as a renewal notice. Then they hit you with the charge for two full years in advance, using the old payment information from the prior year; and even if you protest that you never use the service, and even if you try to cancel THE SAME DAY the renewal period starts, they refuse to refund the advance subscription charge. This company is a bunch of professional CHEATERS who skate just inside the limits of legality.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Yesterday I had a charge for $72 posted to my credit card for a renewal of Classmates subscription. In March 2016 I signed up for 1 year. I did not use the subscription frequently and decided I would not renew. The current charge came thru Amazon Pay. It was charged to my new credit card, with my new

number, totally different number and new security code. My original card was compromised and we had it replaced in 2017 because some charges showed up that were not ours.

I sent a e-mail to Classmates and they sent me a reply to go on their site and cancel subscription and they will let me use the site till the $72 subscription runs out. That is not acceptable since I received no notice of renewal (like what legitimate companies do). They make legitimate companies look bad, even magazines send you renewal forms. I will await a reply from them until I take further action. I do not know how they got my new credit card number. Do not give Classmates your credit card.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Classmates took an old account and switches it without my approval to auto renewal. I only found out by them sending a payment to PayPal they were requesting $ 48, which in return posted this online to me. I went and disputed with my PayPal account which I have not heard anything from. I also contacted Classmates and they say basically tough crap, they claim in the fine print that this is explained and cannot refund me anything. I switched my account to manual renewal again and deleted everything off their website. Credit card was going to dispute it, but found they charged me $24 last year I did not catch back then. Let's all contact the US States Attorneys and file a class action suit against them. In 2006 Time Inc. did this also. US states attorneys made them refund 4.1 million dollars of unfair renewals. I for one Am Filing a claim to the NY states attorney. Don't let them get away with this.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Buyer beware: Ordered a reprint of my 1981 yearbook. I wish I had read the complaints listed on ConsumerAffairs before I ordered. The reprint quality was so terrible. It looks like all they did was copy the original book with a cheap copy. I complained to them and asked for a refund. Of course they would give me one.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Ordered what I thought was a 1967 Yearbook. Sent a 1965. When I complained said they did not have a 1967 yearbook and I should have known I was getting the older book. Very deceiving the way they explain the information on their website. They would not accept returns and I am stuck with the wrong yearbook. I see where they are under investigation for these same actions. The quality of the materials are of poor quality. They need to be prosecuted.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Classmates charged a two year membership fee automatically from my account without any prior notice. A one year renewal was what set up and they done two years. I complained and requested a complete refund along with cancellation of my account and elimination of any and all personal information. They refused and stated I would be listed in their site for two more years. This place is a total ripoff to begin with.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Classmates.com is a scam website. They post fake messages from fake people trying to get you to join which I did for one month. Then they sold my email address and I was flooded with junk mail and charged my card another 16.50 without my permission and now refuse to refund it. DO NOT give Classmates.com your credit card info or email. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Renewal charges - Classmates charged my PayPal account. They never notified me. If not for an email from PayPal I would never have known. The charge was for 72.00 but there was mention of it being 108.00. I read previous complaints and did not bother to call them. I called PayPal instead and PayPal removed the charge. Apparently this has happened many times before.

Classmates.com Company Information