1.24/5

Classmates.com formerly Memory Lane

2262 Classmates.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 2, 2019

I did the free account hoping to connect to old classmates. 2 days later I get a Classmates email, "You have 2 visits to your site..." To make a long story short I checked who these people were, they were not even from my class or city. This is a very common scam where the people of the site make your email seem to appear that you have mail that is from a classmate when in fact it's just to get you to pay so you can view the messages as they are locked till you pay.. An old trick in the scam book. They took me for 7.50. No more..Classmates is a complete SCAM....I'm contacting the Illinois Attorney General.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I signed up on Classmates.com on June 2 less than 1 full day and paid a 3 month "special". I didn't find it to be anything much and decided I wanted a refund and to cancel. They tell you to turn off automatic renewal and that guarantees that I won't be renewed. I used less than 1 hour total for less than 24 hours. They responded one time taking my 7.50 and stating to turn off auto renewal but no mention of a refund. I wrote and told them I wanted a refund but no response after 6 hours so far. It's only 7.50 but that's not the point. The point is the site is nothing. It's useless I found and couldn't connect with hardly anyone. I graduated with a class of over 400 kids and less than 170 were on Classmates. It wasn't what it claimed to be. This totally stinks that they keep your money even when you're on 1 hour total, split trying to see what it's all about. It's nothing..useless. I want my money back! Scammers.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

1 year ago I paid a membership fee to see how old friends from school are doing. I could not access any messages or see them...all blurred. 1 year later I thought I had my banking info hacked... Withdrawal came out of my account and found out they had switched my payments to "automatic renewal". Within 12 hours of the withdrawal I sent an email to say I did not agree to this and insisted on a full refund. They responded by saying "screw you" in not so many words. I sent another email telling them I was very dissatisfied and said what they had done was deceitful and very close to fraud.

I also stated that this must be a U.S. based website and they were "crooks". I also said I would post a Google review stating this. That same day I received 5 calls...all hang ups...from 4 different numbers. The area code for all the calls is from Vanuatu in the South Pacific but the calls came from the Atlanta, Georgia area. Cowards and thieves in my opinion. Obviously they can't make an honest living in the real world. Coincidence... I very much doubt it. Do not deal with this website as you will be very disappointed and throwing your money away. Not a wonder the majority of the planet doesn't like or trust Americans.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I paid for a year book and even told them to make sure they send me the correct book because there were numerous schools in Ohio with the same name. Well, I received the yearbook but it was from another high school not from the one I graduated from. So, I finally get the phone number of "Classmates.com" and tell them I received the wrong book. They tell me that is the one I ordered and I tell them they are wrong. When talk to this so called agent she admits to me the one I ordered is not available and I then ask her why did they send me one that is totally wrong and I did not graduate from the one they sent me... So, again and spoke to another agent and I got the same Bull Crap.

I feel this company is nothing but a big rip off. Why send me a book that has I cannot use. They simply do what they want to do and once you pay for the book you ordered they have your money and you get nothing but the run around. The agent I spoke with today 5-13-2019 said I would receive an email from one of their "Special Team" and I said I want to talk with them. Give me their phone number... She said I cannot talk to them, I have to wait for an email from them. So I said, sarcastically, "I spoke with God this morning so, your so called Team is above him huh?" I would never recommed Classmates to anyone. Once they have your money they could care less about "Customer Service". Just be careful on what you order and make sure they acknowledge your correct book, in which they did not on my order... What a scam!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I joined "Classmates" in March of this year (2019) thinking it might be a good way to reconnect with former classmates. WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS. I paid $24 and got absolutely nothing in return; however, I felt I could not fault anyone but myself UNTIL I received 2 "Visits" (April 30, 2019 and May 3, 2019) to my profile from an individual who has been deceased for many years. I would like to take this opportunity to warn anyone that might be considering paying the fee to join this "fake"... DON'T!!! WHAT AN ABSOLUTE SCAM THIS IS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Classmates.com?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Like so many others I had an unauthorized charge of $72 from my account and I NEVER agreed to join Classmates. I received an email about an upcoming reunion and read the email, that’s literally the extent of it. Classmates has almost 2300 complaints with majority being unauthorized charges. I honestly cannot believe they continue to get away with it. A class action lawsuit should be filed against such an unethical company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This is a scam. PCH*Classmates put an unauthorized charge on my credit card of $72.00. I had to spend 1/2 a day in canceling my card, getting a new card, calling the vendors like Amazon that I use and in general spent quite a bit of time and aggravation on the phone. I do thank the people who helped me with this. I won't recommend this company, and will in fact tell friends and family not to use this service.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I ordered a "reprint" of my high school yearbook for my senior year. What I got was a glossy photocopy of "Kim's" sophomore yearbook complete with all the scribbles and notes and entries from her friends. The quality of the pictures was really bad - kind of blurry with shadows. I asked for a refund but couldn't get one. David from Classmates emailed me and said, "...the book you received is a reprint of the same previously owned yearbook that we show on our site, so it's possible that it will show handwriting or effects of aging, and pages, pictures, or other content could be missing or obscured. This is something that is explained during the yearbook purchase process.” Um, no, this wasn't explained during the yearbook purchase process or I wouldn't have bought it. Or it was explained in micro print. I see a class action lawsuit in their future.

Original review: April 2, 2019

3 months after I closed and canceled my account, I was billed. They won't refund the money or answer emails. There should be a class action lawsuit against this company. They were fine as yearbook, but self destructed after turning into Classmates.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased a reprint of my high school yearbook. The quality is horrible. Pictures are very dark and some of the pictures of people are stretched so much that they look very tall and their heads look like a cone head. Called about a refund and was told that they do not refund any money and they won't take the yearbook back. I am so angry about this. So whatever you do DO NOT PURCHASE A YEARBOOK FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Somehow they were able to charge my credit card for $15 for a 3-month sub without my authorization and they even used an incorrect expiration date. I contacted them via email about this and was told they have a no-refund policy. We were on day number 2 into the 3-month sub by the way.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Classmates.com continues to withdraw $15.00 per month from my account, although I have cancelled several times! I know they owe me for at least 4 months totaling $140.00 dollars. It is VERY hard to get in touch with them and I have received no response from them. A civil suit needs to be brought against them! They're ripping people off!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Someone took pictures off my Facebook account and posted them on classmates.com. There was 3 linked to my name; my mother's navy picture, a grave marking of my husband's sister, and I voted. I did not post this to classmates.com. Since finding them on the site I have taken measures to try and stop it through privacy settings.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Buyer beware. If after buying a membership make sure you know if you are set up for auto renewal. My membership was set up for auto renewal without my knowledge. When my membership was up for renewal I did not receive any type of notice advising me of the auto renewal. I had no intentions of renewing, but it was renewed automatically. When I contacted Classmates.com they were not very helpful. I told them about not wanting to renew and at first they did not want to help. After several messages to them telling them I wanted no membership and wanted a refund they were willing to give me a cheaper membership with limited access. When I still told them I wanted NO membership they finally said they would make an exception and refund my funds. It only took approximately 6-7 messages to them complaining about the lack of notice of renewal and asking for a refund.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Beware -- if you buy a three month membership occasionally, make sure your automatic renewal is not on or, at the end of the three months, they will give you a year membership, whether you want it or not -- and charge you for it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

They automatically signed me up for 2 years at the tune of 72.00. I wasn't informed and the money was taken from my account. I spoke with customer service that decided to refund my money, only after I threaten them with small claims court. Never again will I subscribe to these rip off artist.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Be very careful of Classmates as they renew you without your consent and will not refund any money even when you complain to them. They are charging a new debit card that I have never taken out of my billfold after getting it. Service dept. is very rude and very unhelpful. Hoping we can get some help from BBB.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I received a notice from my PayPal account that I authorized payment to Classmate.com to renew my subscription. I immediately contacted PayPal that I did not authorize this transaction. PayPal had already sent the payment. I immediately contacted Classmates.com and I was told that there were no refunds once they received a payment. They said I had to manually remove the auto renewal on their website. They sent a link to make the change. I tried the link and it said it was unable to connect because Classmates had not sent any information. I contacted them again and this time they informed me that they had removed the link for the auto renewal. They said I should enjoy the website because I had already paid for they next cycle. I asked for the name and number of the owner of this site but no information was provided.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

If you think it is a good idea to subscribe to Classmates.com so that you can look up old school friends be sure that you understand this. Once you subscribe, the default setting for billing is 'Automatic Renewal'. This means that you will be automatically billed again once your original subscription ends. My advice: if you do subscribe make sure that you immediately go to your 'Account' settings and switch the billing preference from "Automatic' to "Manual'. In case this doesn't work, I would also advise you to use a credit card that you could easily cancel without affecting other auto payments.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Many years ago I was a member of classmates.com. I ended the relationship due to frustration on my part and lack of help or concern on their part. Fast forward to 2018. I decided to give it a try again, hoping things might be better this time. Big mistake! Things are even worse than they were backed in! I'm not able to find anything in there. I try to find people whose names start with R', S's or T', and it keeps throwing me back to the pages with the A's B's and C's. I have hunted and hunted for hours and hours and hours trying to find an alphabet so I can select which page I wish to see.

I even wrote to them about it and they gave me a non-answer. I'm still not able to get to the R's, S's or T's without going page by page all the way through starting at the A's time after time after time. Nowhere on my screen am I able to locate an alphabet! This is one of the problems I had with them 15 years ago! Shame on me for giving them another chance. That is only one of my problems with them. I also can't seem to really communicate with anyone or find out anything or follow conversations on message boards. There used to be a message board. Where the hell is it? It's a very lonely experience maneuvering your way around on classmates.com. Very lonely. It's nearly impossible to deal with.

Another problem is they keep showing me the same pictures every day in my email. I keep getting messages like somebody shared a new picture so I go in there and look and it's the same stupid pictures I've been looking at for 3 months now! Not only that if I don't remember to remove my damn visit, it is notifying people that I'm checking out their profiles when I'm not! It's just that they keep shoving those pictures into my face and then telling those people that I'm visiting their profile! The onus should not beyond us to remove our visits from profiles we never intended to visit anyway! These people suck big time! Please read all of these reviews before you step in it like I did!

You'll have a better chance of finding your old friends on Facebook than you ever will on classmates.com. I told them to cancel my membership and take my name off the list! I'm really mad at myself for falling for it again! But this is the last time that will ever happen. This is absolutely the worst website I've ever been to! I'm sorry I even have to give them one star just so I can make these comments. If I could I would be subtracting stars! They couldn't stink more!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Pictures of "former classmates" are never from my class! Each message also claims that I left a message during my visit. I have never heard of any of the people whom I supposedly visited nor have I left any messages. I graduated in Jan. 1954. Most of the posts are of people who graduated in 1957. Consequently I have no desire to renew my membership!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I want to share my experience with any who are considering Classmates.com. I decided to look around on the app and got in on a 3-month special. I cancelled my subscription; however, I was charged. I cancelled again and called my bank who refunded the money back to me. I was happy to see no charges in June then they charged my account again in July. I called my bank then cancelled again. I went to my bank and see another $15 charge from Classmates.com. At this point I am furious and feel like the crooks at Classmates.com have assaulted me. The only way to keep these thieves from taking money from my account is to cancel my bank card. Not a hard thing but the number won’t work for any other payments I want to make. Do I consider the card or a lawyer? I wonder how many others have experienced this kind of abuse. DO NOT TRUST THEM, DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY INFORMATION. There should be a class action lawsuit. Disgusted.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I perused Classmates quite a long time ago and of course, in order to look at my classmates, I had to join. I am certain I did not give them PayPal information. I recently got a notification from PayPal that I had authorized a payment to Classmates of $48! When I called PayPal, they said they could not stop the payment and that I had to contact Classmates. I hunted through their site until I found a page where I could change from "automatic" to "manual", which I did. Foolishly, I thought that was the end of it. Instead, I find they did indeed put the charge through my PayPal account.

Just now did a search and discovered they had also charged me in 2017. I found an email address for them via Google but have not heard back from them. I also posted on their Facebook page and private messaged them on FB. I'm now going back to searching for some way to stop them from charging my PayPal account again. PayPal suggested I close my account but really, does anyone want to do THAT? Bottom line is that Classmates is a fraudulent rip off.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Signed up with Classmates and every time I go to log in it says I have the wrong password but I was just on it yesterday using the same password. This site is the most pathetic site I have ever visited. Do not join this company. They don't care about you. And I guess that's why there's no phone number to call.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I found a charge from Classmates.com on my credit card dated 6/12/18. I called the credit card company and said I didn't use Classmates.com anymore; I refused the charge. My credit card sent me the paperwork that Classmates.com is disputing my claim of fraud. It says in the Classmates.com dispute, that I signed as a member on 6/12/2012 and it was a 2-year renewal contract. I had to have canceled at some point before 2014. I had the credit card company check my records and there was no charge to Classmates.com on 6/12/14 or 6/12/16; sounds like there is no auto renewal going on; but, then I get a charge on 6/12/18 for $59. And the charge is based on 6/12/2012 issue and not anything I did this year.

The credit card company is not paying the claim. (It seems Classmates.com has a 'no refund' policy and they are not happy.) It has the impression of fraud. It looks like they found an account with a card # and just renewed it. The dispute said they sent me emails; I did not receive any. I've had the same email since 2003. Finally I called Classmates.com to make sure not to renew me again. They can't find my account or a charge to my card... Watch your cards and never pay with a debit card, you can't get money back. Thank you credit card! I have read several other claims of the same and is why I write this review.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I joined Classmates with a paid membership. I noticed that I was getting emails every day stating my profile and just been viewed or I had just been tagged in a photos and such. But when I went to the site, it just wasn't so. They send these teaser emails to try to get you to go to the site. Then when on the site there's more marketing on the right side "try clicking these names". Why? I sent an email to customer service who said they would forward my concern to the email marketing team. It stopped for a month and then started back again. I have asked to be removed from the email marketing funnel. And begun forwarding their Spam at uce.gov. They monitor spam in the US.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have received six emails in the past week and when I tried to connect to the link to view the posted pictures, Norton Mobile Security blocked the link with a Malicious Website banner, and then I left the site. I contacted them about the first one and now I have received six more and they are all listed as malicious. Needless to say I will be unsubscribing as soon as I send them another message letting them know about the problem again! I am just glad I had Norton Mobile Security on my phone.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I've been on Classmates.com for about 4 to 5 years. Everything used to be great. You could start a discussion with a lot of people. You could look for people on the discussion page. You could post picture & albums. It was really great. About year ago they change the whole website. Now you couldn't start a discussion with anyone and they took away so many things you use to be able to do... and when I try to look at all my albums that I had put pictures in you couldn't see them.

So I contacted customer service. They told me they would check into it and find out what happened after they upgraded their website. About 4 months went by and I contacted them again saying I'm still not able to look at my pictures since you upgraded your website. They said our Technical Support team is working on it. So they gave me one year of free classmate. I said that would be wonderful and they were sorry for the frustration I was having and the inconvenience. Well I waited 6 months and email them again and I got the same response from Tech-Support we're working on it we are truly sorry for the frustration you're having and we understand the inconvenience.

So I posted a video and sent it to them showing them the problem I was having and I even took my computer to the computer store that built it for me and told them what was the problem I was having thinking something might be wrong with my computer. Well there was nothing wrong. They try to see if they could see my picture albums with their computer and they could not see them. I said, "Well can't be my computer, it's not your computer. So let me contact some of my friends on Classmates and see if they can see my pictures." They all told me they cannot see them also.

So last week 8/5/2018 I contacted them again and talk to LAShawn who is the Member Care, Tier II Representative. This time after they review the Video and all the emails she said it's my computer that was the problem because they can see it and there is nothing they can do about it. I said look I started out with Windows 7, then I went to windows XP and now with Windows 10. I said I've used just about every website like Bring, Opera, Internet Explorer and I still could not see my pictures so it's not my computers. LaShawn said, "Yes it is your computer. I said, "Look all the people that have tried to look at my pictures said they can't see it. Either so are you telling me that their computers are bad too." La Shawn said, "Yes everybody computers are the problem." I said, "No the problem is your server or it's on your end. This all started since you change the website.

So LaShawn said, "Look we are not going to do anymore with this so we will just remove you from Classmates and you can be on your way." And that's just what they did. They took me off the Classmates. Nice bunch of people. So stay off of Classmates because if you have any problems there not going to help. All they are gonna do is feed you a line of crap. So when La Shawn said they are removing me I said, "Remember I am somebody's paycheck and they don't get one now," and she hung up on me. Just stay off the site. That's all I can tell you these people just want your money but they don't wanna fix a problem.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was charged a yearly membership fee automatically on June 28, 2018 which I did not know I had approved of, anyway the day I was charged, I wrote to them immediately and received this reply, "Hi Jamie, Thanks for your message. We're sorry to hear that you wish to cancel. To discontinue your paid membership after the current term, follow the steps below: At the top right of any page, click the gear icon and select Account. Select Account & Billing and enter your password. Click Turn off automatic renewal. Click Yes to confirm your decision. By changing your renewal option to Manual, your account will not be charged again. You'll continue to receive paid benefits until your expiration date."

I responded, "Hello Peggy. Since I was just charged today can that not be reversed?" And I got this message back: "Hi Jamie, Thanks for your reply. I’ve confirmed your membership is no longer in automatic renewal and you will not be charged again. Your paid status will expire on 9/28/2018." This was in no way helpful and I contacted within 20 minutes of being charged. This is unacceptable.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I wish I read the reviews here before I found that awful site. I wanted to get my dad a copy of his high school yearbook. I ordered it through Amazon from Classmates. After reading and seeing the AWFUL quality, I was able to cancel my Amazon order. Here’s the kicker... I couldn’t find my grandma’s yearbook on amazon but I did find it one the classmates' site. My grandma passed away 6 years ago and I would have loved to have a copy of the yearbook! I placed my order and the site said that my card couldn’t be accepted. So I tried again. Same message. So I switched cards and used my credit card. Same message. Then all of a sudden I get a text message from my bank that my debit card was compromised.

I called my bank and they said the $59 dollar charge had been placed 4 times in a matter of seconds from Classmates. I entered my info once, then a second time when I was told it was rejected. Luckily my bank blocked the charges. I wasn’t so lucky with my credit card. I paid for the $59 1965 yearbook FOUR times with both cards and unfortunately the charges went through on my card. I will call to dispute ASAP. I feel extremely ripped off and upset that this company is even allowed to sell products. I have NEVER dealt with such a shady site and I’m seriously disgusted.

Classmates.com Company Information