1.25/5
  • 1 star
Based on 444 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Classmates.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 30, 2017

2222 Classmates.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

You will be continually billed every year or two without pre-notification. I was auto billed through PayPal yesterday. If it weren't for PayPal notifying me, I would never have known about the billing. Classmates, of course, sent out no notice. I went on Classmates and changed the AUTO BILLING to manual. I don't remember EVER choosing AUTO BILLING. I actually went on my PayPal account and deleted as many of the accounts and cards as it would allow me. When this is over I will definitely close my PayPal account so Classmates can't do it to me again next year. I never got anything out of the original membership. No past classmates contacted me and the whole thing is a sham. WASTE of your time and money to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I received a notice from Paypal that Classmates had charged $59.00 to my account on 12/26/2017. I was never contacted regarding a renewal and definitely not for $59.00. What a rip-off! I contacted classmates in writing and was told on the accounts page everything is stated and that by participating you automatically agree and that they had sent me a notice 30 days prior (never received). Pretty much saying there is nothing I could not and they were not reversing the charge. However, they went on to say that after this charge I would be a free member with no more charges. Yeah right... until the company is sold again or they make up new rules.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I belonged to Classmates.com with a paid membership for 2 years only around 2009 or 2010. More than a year after I canceled my paid membership, I saw that they had renewed my subscription via my Discover Card every January for the last few years, this falling after I had canceled my paid membership, sent them an email about this, then apparently forgot about the situation. A year later, I again noticed a renewal on my Discover bill. I contacted Discover, and they said they can only do something if I document calling Classmates and give them the date and name of the person I talked to asking for resolution of this matter. Then, they said, it would be a wait until the following January to see if this fraud continued before Discover could act against them. I called Classmates.com. They had been sold to another company. The new company did not have me as a paid member and denied billing me or receiving money from me.

So apparently it was the previous owner of Classmates who continued billing even though they were gone. Well, I wasn't going to wait for it to happen again a year later, and I really did not believe at this point that Discover had my best interest at heart. I felt unsupported by Discover. So I regretfully (it was my favorite credit card) called and canceled, fully explaining why their policy was my reason to cancel. I paid off the card balance in the following months, the account closed, and I have not heard from Classmates again, nor have they found a way to charge me in perpetuity. Don't even START with Classmates.com at any level -- paid or not. It's all a dead end and may cost you for nothing.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

It all began when I received an email from PayPal that I was being charged 48.00 dollars by Classmates.com to which I immediately disputed. After also putting by bank on notice of the unauthorized transaction, I was informed that Classmates was saying that I signed on 9/21/2016 for a 12 month Classmates+ membership with registration ID: ** for an amount of 24.00 dollars that also renews automatically for an additional amount of 48.00 dollars, and is nonrefundable. I believe if I saw this on an invoice, I would have walked away. I believe anyone would.

I never had a paid membership with the Classmates website. Checking back to my 2016 Chase card statements I discovered that PayPal did charge me 24.00 dollars on behalf of Classmates. However, I was not aware of it at the time, and it must have gotten past my scrutiny undetected. If I had known, I would have disputed it immediately. How this could have occurred, is a mystery, for I certainly would not have made the purchase, and then never use it. I had received many emails from Classmates over the years pestering me to visit their website because some of my high school classmates wanted to connect with me. I may also have visited the website a few times out of curiosity, or to try and stop those pesky emails, but otherwise I had no interest in their services.

I believe all visitors to the Classmates website become free memberships upon online, and information is collected and stored in their database for future use. Therefore, I assume I was also in their database. I understand there are about 60 million free members, who visited the website, but only less than 5 percent are paid members. To my knowledge, I did not register or create a paid account with Classmates. In fact, this is the first time I have ever seen the Classmates member database. I certainly would not have registered my own name incorrectly; without the middle initial, and using a small "g," in the last name. Except for visits as a free member mentioned above, I had no known business transactions with Classmates.

The ID now being used for the renewal charges was created on 9/24/2008 ID: **; over 9 years ago. I have no reason to believe it was more than a free membership account one receives when first visiting their website, because a paid membership requires a registration, billing information, and is secured by a password account, and there is no such information shown in this database, or in my own records. I believe that Classmates used this ID old account data, and the information they acquired from free membership, to charge my PayPal account, and without my agreement and authorization.

I did not seek a paid membership subscription renewal with Classmates, or knowingly authorize Classmates to charge my PayPal account 48.00 dollars for a subscription renewal, automatic or otherwise. The implication that it was stated somewhere on the invoice, rings of deception, and scam. In addition, that I did not knowingly authorize or select the use of the automatic renewal program to charge my PayPal account for use with Classmates, means it was not likely to have been a key feature of the sale. I did not receive a receipt for an order to purchase a subscription, or a renewal of a subscription. I did not receive an email notification of the impending renewal charges, the increase in the charges, or the date such renewal would be effective. Therefore, it also follows that I did not agree to accept the terms of agreement as set forth for a paid member, and I conclude that the transaction was indeed unauthorized.

In my opinion, Classmates has not provided sufficient information to support their contesting of the claim. They did not provide the necessary copies of the receipts or invoices, copies of the email notifications that were sent, proof that I signed in with a password on a login window, or even an acceptance of the terms and provisions that would typically accompany and support such a purchase. No evidence means no proof. No proof that I authorized the renewal. The remainder of Classmates supporting documents are vague and insignificant. They contain various undated, incomplete, and obscure information; including hypothetical examples, that are mostly illegible, that I was unable to read or decipher, and that were nonspecific to my situation.

Further, I believe that Classmates was duly notified, within a reasonable amount of time, and a refund should have been honored. When my emails went out that the renewal charges, and the paid membership subscription renewal was not authorized, or wanted, and demand for the subscription be cancelled, and immediately refunded; I sensed a bit of concern. The reconsideration which followed included offering me a 60 percent reduction of the 48.00 dollar charges for the same 12 month renewal.

However, I refused. I do not want to continue business with Classmates. It is my opinion that a refund would be a fairer and simpler resolution for all concerned, and would incur minimal or no loss to Classmates. However, Classmates did not care that I was not satisfied with the product, did not want the product, and have no use for the product; all they seemed concerned with, was the money, that is, until they thought they might lose it all.

Does it make good business sense to force someone to pay for something that they do not want; whether it was the result of a mistake, a technical oversight or error, a change of plans, or that they no longer need it? The automatic renewal program should not be used as an entrapment, or a device to force someone to buy something they do not want. Instead, I'm sure it was intended as a convenience, to ensure ease of continuity and processing for both for the customer and the merchant; not as a means to lock in a sale, or hold a customer hostage until you get what you want. I hope we still favor good business ethics, over just making a good sale, and that this sort of aggressive salesmanship is deemed unlawful and discontinued.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My first awareness that my subscription to "Classmates" had been "renewed" was a notification that l had "authorized" payment for same via PayPal. This apparently falls under some small-print nonsense of which l was not aware. The subscription is automatically renewed, charged for first, and the unfortunate subscriber notified second. I emailed Classmates immediately upon receipt of their renewal notification, stating l was NOT interested in renewal, but was charged anyway.

In order to NOT renew requires the hapless subscriber to log in to Classmates, go to the account page and notify THEM. There was no reminder notice of pending subscription expiration, no option to renew or not renew, no updating of account status or the like. This is an unscrupulous site, sleazy and unsavory. Whether they are "legal" or not, they are ripping off their clients with an absence of information provided on a business-like and good-faith basis. This site should be investigated. Apparently Better Business Bureau is well aware of Classmates and has received countless other complaints.I will lodge one myself with BBB within the next 48 hours.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Classmates.com?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Misrepresentation of charges for product. Site does not tell you all costs until after billing info entered. After entry, they let you know its considerably more than presented in initial offer. Had to call my bank and file complaint with BBB who already knows about them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

First... I never sign up for automatic renewals... Never. I was notified that my PayPal account had been charged three days ago with an automatic renewal for Classmates. I did not want to renew because I get messages from a person that I don't know now and have never known. I wanted to stop my subscription because of this but Classmates charged me anyway. I call them and the person told me there was nothing she could do except remove me from the subscription. Even though the payment was only 3 days old, she could not refund any of my money. Therefore, I paid three months price for a three days' subscription which I didn't order in the first place. Beware of this kind of scam. Be very careful. Now I must open another PayPal account to keep them from using my existing account again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I found an unauthorized charge for 1 year by Classmates.com. I did not have auto-renewal turned on nor did I even have a credit card for them to charge. Somehow, they obtained a number for a Debit Card that I have never used online and submitted that. I am going to take this to the max that I can, reporting them to State and Federal authorities. When I told them about the unauthorized charge they offered to give me a discounted membership saying that is all they can do. They are ignoring the fact that what they did is the same thing Wells Fargo recently did and it is FRAUD. I recommend that nobody ever renew with Classmates and if you're not signed up with them that you never sign up.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Beware. Classmates.com renewed my subscription without authority from me through my Paypal account on July 25, 2017. After speaking with a Paypal representative, she told me that Paypal authorized Classmates to go INTO my checkbook (which was attached to my Paypal account ) and they withdraw $59.00 from my account, unbeknown to me. I contacted Classmates and they said that I had automatic renewal. This was a lie, as I checked my account on Classmates and it said "manual". Stay away from Classmates and check on Paypal.

I see FRAUD HERE. Consequently, Classmates is doing NOTHING about refunding my $59.00. However, I have canceled my PayPal account, went to my bank and have canceled my checking account attached to Paypal, and canceled my Paypal credit card. I have written to classmates and I will be canceling my subscription with them when this so called "automatic renewal is up and want all my information deleted on the site at that time. I will also be contacting the Attorney General's Office here in Massachusetts to lodge a complaint. Shame on Classmates.com.

Original review: July 5, 2017

They sent me a 1976 yearbook which they said I ordered. I graduated in 1977. All of the comments in the yearbook were addressed to someone named Pam? Obviously, the wrong book was sent. They said they cannot give refunds after printing. What a total ripoff this company is.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Like many others here, I too was charged for a 2-year automatic renewal for $59.00. I never received an email advising me of same; and only discovered it when I went online to my bank. For some reason -- not by my own doing -- my Classmates preference was changed to automatic renewals. I have now deleted all of my personal information at that site and contacted my bank, who have placed a stop payment on the fraudulent charge (at a $35.00 bank fee). A wholly infuriating experience... and this practice should be ILLEGAL!

Original review: June 3, 2017

Recently, Classmates.com automatically billed my cc $59. I did not request this billing. When I tried to obtain the refund, they turned me down. Do I have to hire a lawyer and sue them? They had no right to just take my money!

Original review: June 3, 2017

My first subscription to Classmates was back in 2001. Back then they did not have automatic renewals and they would ask you to renew when your year expired. I only paid for a subscription three times, the last one being in 2006 or 2007. After it expired I had no interest in renewing it as I no longer had a need for their site. I went about my life for about five years. Then a strange charge appeared on my credit card in 2012. It was from Memory Lane. I had no idea what that was so I looked it up on the Internet and learned that was the new name, at that time, of Classmates. They'd been purchased by Memory Lane and were even using that name for a while. I had never resubscribed, so I knew this charge was in error.

I found their agreement contract on their site and read that all "subscription renewals" were "non-refundable." I also saw that they had changed over to automatic renewals sometime after I'd completed my last subscription, five years before. I immediately contacted the credit card they charged and explained what they did. I had never authorized "automatic renews" with my previous subscription, five years before, and they had not been Memory Lane (with their new rules) back then, either.

When they changed over to Memory Lane they automatically renewed old subscriptions and were refusing to credit people their money back even though the renewals were unauthorized by the customers. My credit card promptly disputed it on my behalf and issued me a new card. I won the case! Now I see they are no longer calling themselves Memory Lane but Classmates again. They are shady and clever. I recommend no one have anything to do with them. What a scam they have going.

Original review: May 30, 2017

DO NOT subscribe to this product. If you do, watch the tactics they employ to renew for an entire year without your approval. I would subscribe for a couple of months at a time just to keep in touch. I have NOT and would NEVER subscribe for an entire year. Somehow, they claim I resubscribed one month ago (MAY 2017), which I did not! And my credit card was charged $48.00 for an entire year subscription. When I called to have my credit card credited I was told that I did not read the disclaimer stating that I was responsible for the cancellation or renewal was automatic. Again, I did not knowingly resubscribe in May 2017. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and my credit card. I cancelled my subscription even after the representative informed me I would lose my $42.00. NOW does this sound like somebody that intentionally subscribed and wanted an automatic renewal?

Original review: May 9, 2017

Classmates.com changed their format. I'm not sure of the exact date but it had to be in the last year or so because all of a sudden a pic that I had loaded that was originally cropped from the neck up was published to the internet uncropped showing way too much cleavage which I obviously was NOT intending to upload WHATSOEVER!!! They will NOT remove the pic & now I have lost jobs & many chances to obtain jobs because of this as I am in the healthcare field!!! My reputation is RUINED by this!! I was wearing a low cut tank & had used a crop tool that used to be on the old format & when I checked my account it was still posted as cropped but they downloaded the FULL LARGE image in a very LARGE pic onto Google search so that everyone who does a search of my name sees a massive inappropriate pic of me!! WHY would they do this??? Are they now trying to turn this into some kind of sick dating site or something??

If I could give them -5 STARS I would. I will now be getting my lawyer to help me rectify this situation & sue them if possible for loss of income & all the stress they have caused me & my mortified bosses & family! You can even see the original neck up cropped smaller photo further along in the pics posted with my name! They did this on purpose! I'm FURIOUS! They will PAY!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

Personal Opinion... Due to the EXTREME high number of Classmates "Complaints" online, I am not sure that any "agreement" from Classmates will hold me as a member without a lawyer behind me. What they say and what they do, are two different things altogether. The premise is good but the method for a paid subscription is very worrisome. At the end of your trial period the cost doubles and you will be the one to continue to pay it with little, if any, choice. I am against the automatic withdrawal of funds from my bank account by ANYONE, at ANYTIME for any reason. This is what Classmates plans after its trial ends.

Original review: April 10, 2017

They have also placed a hefty debt on my bank account and you can't get through to them. Judging by everyone else's experience, they will refuse to refund, but I'm taking this to the fraud division of my bank.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I have been a member of Classmates for over 10 years. The last time I renewed was in 2015 for $31.83. My credit card has changed since then. Much to my surprise I see a Pending Charge for $63.66 for another 2 years of membership. No notification of renewal. And somehow they acquired my new Credit Card Number. I did not update the information. This is totally unacceptable and deceptive. Besides that the price doubled. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I signed up for Classemates.com in 2016 since they had a half price special for the year. So I signed up just for the one year or so I thought. Anyway, I was recently charged a $48.00 renewal fee for 2017 for which I did not knowingly authorize. I called Classmates.com to get a refund and was told that when I signed up that I signed up for automatic renewals. I was also told that renewal fees are non-refundable. I probably accessed their website maybe 2x in 2016. Why would I want to pay $48.00 for another year?! After hanging up on the Classmates representative, I promptly called my bank to dispute the $48.00 charge.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017
I have been a Classmates member for many years and watched the service make many changes which, in my humble opinion, make the service worse, often requiring multiple clicks where one or two used to be required. I do submit my issues to them and if they reply, it's pretty much boiler plate, just a pat response.

This time, I have lost the capability to use the "All Yearbooks" search option, or to advance from an initial page display to the next page. This means that if there are 50 schools attended by people with the same last name as the person of interest, I can only access one page of 10 schools. Under the old scheme, the school lists were much longer.

When I try to advance to the next 10 schools, I get a nag claiming "Oops! We can't find what you're looking for." It has been two weeks since I noticed the problem. I'm suspecting that the company is punishing me for "not so positive" comments about their increasingly clunky website. As far as I know, there is no way to identify 'paid members' who are the only ones that search capability works for so I can ask them to try their search features.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

So I tried out Classmates.com for the heck of it a year ago, site pretty much sucks so I never really even go on there. I get an email about being charged for auto-renewal. I emailed them right away to ask them for a refund since I had no plan to use the site. After having to send 2 more emails they finally tell me there are no refunds, and that I can just make it so there is no auto-renewal next year. What a load of crap from this site. No renewal reminder or anything beforehand. Horrible, horrible way to run a website. I will be sure to spread the word, as well as contact my credit card company. No wonder no one uses this site!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I think I would have had given this new team of customer care people. I became a member of Classmates way back in the year 2000. At that time, I did not want to keep paying the monthly fee so I purchased a lifetime Gold membership. At that, I was told that once I paid for that membership that I would not have any further fees. Just what Gold Membership.

Now I visit this site every so often and have been able to send and receive emails, everything inclusive. I have shown them emails from 2006 and 2007, both of which state "Been a gold star member since July 2000." Now I keep getting messages back from, the customer care team saying my membership expired. They have already emptied my email incoming, and I have some of the sent emails left. I sent them the email where it states that I am a Lifetime Gold Member.

This is the first time I have been back to this site, only to be told my membership has expired, I beg to differ, I was sending and receiving emails in 2006 nothing was said about fees. First they said they didn't have a record of me, as soon as I send them the email stating that I was a lifetime gold member (apparently still alive) then they said that they do see that I am a lifetime gold member, yet now I expired 10/31/2001. I refuse to pay for something that I already paid for 16 years ago LIFETIME.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

When I joined classmates, I joined for only 3 months just to try it; however; the company did not make it clear that they would continue an automatic draft from my bank account without my consent after my 3 months' trial. So, without the company's reimbursement, I dropped my membership.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I signed back up because I kept getting emails about someone visiting my profile and signing my guest book. In order to see who was trying to contact me, I had to join. 5 times someone named John ** signed my guest book. His profile has no picture and it shows him to be a part of the same high school class as me. When looking at my high school yearbook, there is no one by that name that went to that school. It appears he was hired to provoke people into joining in order to see who was signing their guest book. Brilliant scam Classmates... It worked! And no refund! Even better!!! The only person trying to contact me on Classmates DOESN'T EXIST! GREAT!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I set up a free account with Classmates.com several years ago. I never got much use out of it, because I was not willing to pay to get access to messages and to see who had viewed my profile. I hadn't signed in to the account for at least 3 years. My husband notified me today, that $39.00 was charged to our credit card and set up as a recurring monthly charge. I told him that I did not sign up for any of the paid services through Classmates. I got on their website and went to Account Information and it showed that there were no credit cards on record associated with my account. I went ahead and terminated my account with them and I think I will cancel my credit card as well. I don't know how they got my credit card information but I sure didn't authorize an organization I haven't even used for over three years to take money from my card.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

First, THANKS for all of your reviews as I was going to renew a really old account today but these reviews stopped me. Was going to attempt setting up a reunion-type get together. After failing to find a few people on social media sites I thought maybe Classmates.com would be helpful. Despite having IT experience I was unable to figure out how to browse schools easily & realized you cannot add schools to search without adding yourself to the school. I don't get the clumsy layout.

Living in a huge city some students went to more than 1 high school & a group of 10 friends could potentially be in 10 different schools. So sounds like Classmates end game is for users to pay to put their own data in their database. How can you check multiple schools? The site is cumbersome & difficult to use. I mean who would use Classmates exclusively anyway - so why would a user pay to search when you can find a lot more info on google or Facebook? They would do much better if you could search easily & then get a paid account to actually contact them or view extra albums. But searching for just a name should be easier.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

My wife erroneously ordered three copies of the Nitro High School 1967 yearbooks from Classmates.com. My wife suffers from Parkinson's Disease and is easily confused. I returned the two erroneously order yearbooks to Classmates.com. A Classmates representative called and indicated that the yearbooks were printed upon demand and Classmates.com has a no return policy. I explained my wife's special circumstances; i.e., Parkinson's Disease and much to my surprise the Classmates.com representative (David employee number **) told me that Classmates would not accept my wife's erroneously ordered yearbooks, Parkinson's Disease notwithstanding. I asked David for his supervisor's name (Joanne) who I was told does not take customer complaints.

Any company that treats its customer with this level of arrogance and disregard should most certainly fail. The fact that David refused to even consider asking his supervisor for special relief in my wife's case tells more about this company than all of the advertising in the world. I highly recommend that any potential customers stay as far away from this company as possible. They do not practice even a modicum of standard customer service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

Have asked 6x to cancel this subscription with no reply or success. Continue to have them deduct payments from my account.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

After several years off, I decided to sign up again in 2015. I was not aware I signed up for a renewal. I think they hide it in the receipt as I NEVER sign up to auto renew anything. Now they have billed me for a full year. I have disputed it with PayPal as that is the way they billed me. The account information they have online shows an old cancelled credit card. I must have paid through PayPal, although I cannot find a receipt. In any event that is the way they billed me. They are a ripoff. DO NOT EVEN EVER SIGN UP FOR THEM. IF YOU DO, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AUTO RENEWAL. Think they make millions this way. People dispute and they refuse and then the customer does not think $40 is worth the fight. $40 times how many?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I was researching old yearbooks on this site. I did not sign up for any type of membership; I then received "an urgent message from Microsoft..." basically telling me that they detected that I had a virus/spyware and I was to call an 888 number so that they could walk me through the cleansing process. I immediately called my tech person and it was, as suspected, a FRAUD... "they" prey on this site because so many older people are on it who become afraid when they get that "alert" and these poor people end up paying to remove the hackers. CLASSMATES.COM has been hacked – stay off this website if you don't want to completely mess up your computer.

Classmates.com Company Information

Formerly Named:
Memory Lane
www.classmates.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use