2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

Original review: April 25, 2020

I started by using the Care Credit card for my medical bills because I needed something to help with medical bills I had incurred. I was afraid that the bad reviews but noticed they were usually by people who didn't grasp how to use them properly. I took the initial hit, you always get, when you first open the account. I paid off the account quickly and was able to pay off the account except for $300 without having to pay any interest. I was so impressed that I then opened a Care Credit account with them. I bought some very needed tires for my car and had it serviced. Same deal here, initial credit hit when I opened the account. One more payment this month and I will have gotten all my services without interest. Just so anyone reading this understands, no I did not make minimum payments. I always paid much more. If my payment was $39 a month, I paid $100. Both of these accounts have made a great impact on my credit report!

Original review: March 23, 2020

Listen, I realize that the nation is in a free fall right now and the situation is very scary for so many people that are financially being hit so hard. I include myself in that category of people. Anytime a creditor works with you on payments, is a true blessing. And I am blessed that this company understands my pain and anxiety about being able to make a monthly payment right now. You should expect this kind of treatment from a business that you have maintained a good payment history and a solid relationship with; and they came through 100% in my time of need. Thank you Synchrony, You rock!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Yes, Synchrony has been great. They did take my Care credit card away (no Dentists would allow 1 or 2 treatments so it was too high for Care Credit) and I used my Credit card instead... It's high interest makes it hard to get it down. That's all true, However; Synchrony has been very good with me and me credit score is Great because of them too. If not for the Synchrony, things would of been so much harder for me, going without is also hard and more expensive often times when you can't fix your car without the cash, you know, things like that... I'm thankful and appreciative.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I recently got a Synchrony Mastercard through Sam’s Club. I made my first payment less than a day late. I was charged a late fee but called the customer service phone number and I was automatically refunded a one time courtesy late fee. That made my day and I didn’t even have to talk to a representative!! Synchrony has awesome technology and automated phone system!

Original review: July 29, 2019

I have looked for savings that would earn money rather than just having my money sitting in my savings. Synchrony gives an interest rate of 2.127 % and an annual yield % of 2.15 %. I just put in some money to check them out and see how the process went. So far no issues and confirmations sent thru the process. It is done online and I have not spoke to anyone yet. I will put more in after the first month if all goes well. Money is back by FIAC. Hope this helps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: May 30, 2020

This bank will blame you for any issues related to online. Their auto pay ALWAYS had issues and would never stay active. After talking to a rep about the issue in Aug 2019, they told me to rest assure that everything is all set up with the auto pay and that I would not have to worry about it again because they set it all up. So I thought ok. I made them put it in the notes that that was said and done with regarding the auto pay.

Throughout the year I was also sending $100 on top of what I assumed was being taken out. Come to find out my balance is still around the same from when I started sending payments! They said that the auto pay was canceled the next month and that since I happened to have signed on the same day it was canceled, then I must have canceled it. Why would I cancel it!! So now there are late fees that have accrued and they throw their hands up and say they can’t do anything about it. They are thieves. I want nothing to do with Synchrony. I have never experienced something like this in my life. All I can do is try to help others out and warn them.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Updated on 6/2/2020: A couple weeks ago, I submitted my review regarding ALL my Synchrony accounts. A total of 16 accounts all in excellent standing were closed on the same day. Never late and always paid above the minimum payments every month. Synchrony even closed out the accounts with zero balances most recently paid off (which I never maxed out any of my accounts). I received my first letter of explanation as to why? This letter pertains to my Car Credit Account which has been open less than 6 months. I used the card for tire services on my vehicle recent with a balance of $226. The letter indicates:

After review of your account, Synchrony Bank has decided to close your account. The reason(s) for our decision are listed below:

* No recent Activity on this account. (FALSE Statement, I recent activity from services done on my car.)

* Number of months since last purchase oh this account. (Just of 30 days since using this account to service my vehicle.)

This is all false and inaccurate information. Synchrony has ruined my credit score and I was a responsible paying customer on time, every time and all my accounts closed. I will post every letter I receive on each account as I receive them.

Original review: I am single father raising two daughters. I lost my wife in 2012 to ALS. Over the past 7 years, I have worked tirelessly to improve my credit for several factors. I purchased a home just last year. I was very fortunate to have a solid debt to income ratio. I have or had 15 credit card accounts all issued through Synchrony Bank. As far as I was concerned, I have been a loyal customer with an impeccable payment history and never ever late.

On May 28, 2020, less than 10 hours ago. I learned that all my accounts with Synchrony Bank has been closed. This includes my accounts that I have paid off with a zero balance. This will now reflect utilization at its max and my credit score severely impacted. I spoke to a Synchrony bank representatives this morning on one of my accounts, recently opened and only carrying a balance under $200. When I ask why this and 14 other accounts were closed, she said that TransUnion reported information on my credit report that cause all my accounts to close.

I called TransUnion and spoke to a CSR and he indicated that TransUnion does not close a customer account. In fact, based on his records, he was showing most of the accounts were still open. I confirmed and reconfirmed that all my accounts are closed. He suggested that I file a dispute in an effort find out why Synchrony did what they did. There must be something I can do or resources I can contact for assistance. This should not be happen to people taking responsibility and making payments on time and working hard to improve their credit history. If anyone has any guidance, please post!

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have three cards with them, I paid off the one card. The other two cards I paid off all but $200 each. Then they lowered my credit limits to $220 looking like I have maxed out two cards. Never missed payments, they claim I have collections which I don’t and put me as a “high risk”. My credit score is in the 700’s. I was planning on using our VA loan to buy a house in the next month or so. This just lowered my score so much. This bank is a joke. The customer service is horrible. I paid my cards off today and will never use them again. Will never give this bank another penny.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I called Synchrony Bank to speak to someone about not getting my e-statements. Synchrony has admitted in the past that there are certain ISP's they have trouble connecting with, which seems strange in 2020. At any rate, I spoke with a rude floor supervisor named Margaret and then another supervisor named Dwight. Margaret threw me on hold without asking if I wanted to hold. I spoke with another supervisor, Dwight, and he was argumentative and rude, and refused to give me a ticket number to escalate my concerns and he hung up on me. Surely, Synchrony Bank can get their tech support to fix this issue, and surely they can employ some people with proper customer service skills!

Original review: May 27, 2020

This company closed my account when I made monthly ON TIME payments without any notification to me. When I asked to speak with a manager "JD" was placed on the phone and she was rude and not at all helpful!

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
    www.synchronyfinancial.com