1.02/5
Based on 169 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

588 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

While fixing my credit to buy a house, I paid off all of my Synchrony Credit cards: Old Navy, Walmart, Chevron Visa, Care Credit, and JCP. One by one they closed or lowered the limit to $200 from $3000 due to "bad credit." I got my score all the way to 700 from about 615. My two oldest accounts were Old Navy and Walmart and those 2 cards closing lowered my score back down to the 600s.

When I called them they kept telling my cards were closed due to credit score, when I pointed out my score was 700 when they sent me letters, they said that is the information they had it was 615. That was in Feb and since then I have raised my score by paying off 75% of my debt. It's JUNE now. I pointed that out and they weren't really helpful. I called a few times and one rep told me it was a common practice when someone pays off their card. Makes no sense. Anyway, I will never get another account with them and the second I get my house, I'm closing the remaining ones I have opened. Their interest rates are sky high.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I are both account holders on our CareCredit card. Tried to use it last month for some vet services for our cat and the card was declined. I checked our account on their app and saw that our credit limit had been significantly decreased by more than half. I have always paid twice the amount due and have it electronically paid on the day before the due date, so I just assumed it was because we hadn’t used the card in about a year. Called Synchrony when I got home and was told the decrease was because of some derogatory marks on my husband’s credit.

My husband has been deployed for 9 months, for which time we have been making more income per month than usual. I have paid all our bills on time, more than due on our credit cards to help pay them off earlier, and neither of us have applied for any new credit since he’s been gone. I ask what derogatory marks and they tell me it’s all outlined in the letter they sent me. I ask what letter as I haven’t received anything from them at all. The CSR just repeats it’s in the letter.

Coincidentally I receive a letter from Synchrony in the mail two days later stating that our credit line was decreased due to my husband’s less than perfect credit score. In 9 months, his credit has increased by 25 points because of the extra I’ve been paying on our accounts. The only changes on both our credits have been improvements and Synchrony still thinks our HIGHER credit scores are still too low for our credit limit with them, even though we were approved for the higher credit with lower credit scores 4 years ago when we opened the account. I am currently working on paying off the remaining balance so I can close our account. This kind of treatment is not worth it to keep our business.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I asked for additional credit with my CareCredit card, issued by Synchrony Financial. They added $1,000, but I had asked for $3,000. I already had a credit limit of $7,000. The reason I asked for this was for an upcoming surgery. Their excuse was I had a “derogatory charges; didn’t pay as was required; outstanding accounts; and poor credit score.” I filed bankruptcy (pd off ahead of time & 8 years ago); always paid on time & paid twice as much as minimum payment; no outstanding accounts according to Transunion); credit score is good & rising each month. I have credit through Synchrony for Zulily, PayPal, CareCredit.

I have paid off Zulily and PP & CareCredit are paid on time, with more than minimum! I received a letter from Zulily saying I owed them money after I had called and asked for the payoff amount! When I went online to check, it stated I owed nothing, so I called & they said they were doing things differently. I had bought things on a 3-payment option and had not completed the last payment! This was news to me because I had asked for a pay-off amount! Nowhere on their website was there ANYTHING about my owing them more money! Now, my credit score went from good to average! DO NOT USE any of the companies who use Synchrony!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Like others that had cards thru GE Money Bank, Synchrony has taken over a lot of them. I had a Walmart Card, PayPal Mastercard, Amazon Store Card, Carcare One, PayPal, Sleep Number, Regency Furniture Card thru them. Well I was having some financial issues last year and thru bad advance I had some cards go into a charge off state. I have been trying to settle the accounts. Of course, their call center is in India somewhere. I tried to pay the one card today and their payment system was down. My wife also had cards with zero balance thru them and those got closed. Some of my other cards, I never used got closed as well. I am going to finish paying off the rest of my cards and then I will be permanently finished with them. With all the bad experiences I see on this site, I would think a class action lawsuit is in order.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have 3 cc's with Synchrony. Walmart, Care Credit and TJ Maxx. I was late ONE day in paying Walmart. I recently paid OFF my Care Credit. I also paid down Walmart and TJ Maxx. My plan is to zero out my balances to avoid their high interest rates. I believe Synchrony LIED to the credit bureaus and they sent me a letter stating that they closed my Care Credit because of a credit review and claimed that I was late with my payments. THAT IS A LIE. I believe that they are PREDATORS and since I decided to pay down my debt, they realize that they will not be making any profit off of me. They practice predatory lending and should be stopped. I want to join a class action lawsuit if possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: May 27, 2018

Had a card through Care Credit that was taken over by Synchrony. Used it infrequently, kept it for pet and dental emergencies. All payments made on time, never a late fee. Went to use it only to be told it was denied. Called and was told it was closed for lack of use. No letter, no email, no phone call. Explained I was trying to get my credit score up, and by closing my $5000 limit account it lowered my score and asked to have it reopened. Was told they would not do this. Then suggested I could apply for a new card, but interest rate may be different. NO THANK YOU. Done with this bank. To any store/company that uses this bank please be advised you will not have my business.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I am about to contact a Attorney and file charges. They are the most dishonest and unprofessional bank I have ever done business with. The Attorney General needs to get involved and do a investigation on their Co.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Like many others, I had an slight issue remedied over a year ago due to a dental emergency. Now, all accounts seem to be closing one after the other lowering my credit rating - Old Navy paid off - closed, Lowe's, closed and each time this has an impact on my credit rating. If I was not paying the monthly payments on time I could understand but this is not the case. Please do not do business with this company. They will ruin your credit ratings.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I asked if they could extend my promotion to the deferred interest. I explained to customer service department and also the supervisor that I lost my job but that have I continued making my monthly payments. I asked for a small extension and they declined. I was never advised of this promotion when I purchased at Havertys furniture. They are only interested in making a sale therefore after being blindsided I am being charged an extra $1,500. Synchrony Bank didn’t try to help me nor made any suggestions. I am not asking them to blow off the balance... I’m asking for an extension to help me while I’m under a hardship situation. Synchrony Bank is Scamming the system. If they are already getting paid why can’t they extend a promotion? This bank is not customer friendly. They don’t care about their customers. I feel like they are consciously ripping everybody off. CEO Margaret Keane ARE YOU LISTENING??? You are scamming the system!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

Synchrony Bank randomly over the last three months has closed four of my accounts: Belk, Walmart, Amazon, Sam's Club Mastercard. On two of the accounts my autopay was turned off. I usually pay my accounts in full, but I keep the autopay in place to make sure there is never a late payment. Two of the accounts had zero balances. Of course, there is a drop in your credit score when they just close your accounts. I will never again do business with anyone that has Synchrony Bank as their credit grantor. They are way too unprofessional and random.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Opened a Lowe's credit card for a kitchen remodel and got stuck with Synchrony bank. I pay more than the minimum every month online before the due date. Although I have proof payments were made on time, they charged me a late fee on the statement just below the payment (showing on time) on the statement. When I complained they refused to correct it. When I told them to close the account. They did without a care in the world.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Synchrony Bank issued me a credit card for Amazon & Walmart 3 years ago (2 years after filing chapter 7 bankruptcy). They lowered my credit limit twice after pulling my credit report. I was late once (30 days) on one card 1.5 years ago and late twice (30 days) on the other. I recently paid the full balance on both cards and didn't use them for a few months. They recently closed both of my credit cards stating that my credit score was low. My score was A LOT worse when they issued me the cards in the first place!

I have been doing very well paying all my bills on time and enjoying watching my credit score go way up. Since Synchrony closed my accounts my credit score has gone down 50 points! DO NOT GET CREDIT THROUGH SYNCHRONY BANK. They are horrible and they will not work with you. When I asked why I was issued the cards in the first place, they could not answer that question. If they are not making thousands of dollars off of you, they will close you.

Original review: May 21, 2018 I dropped my card at gas station, I thought just call and report it lost so nobody uses it. Should be simple and just get replacement card sent to me. Instead they delete my account, remove all online access, I can't get to my account history, can't see statements, can't even make payments, and I lose all my reward points.

They say they will eventually set up a new account - but over 10 days later I still can't log in.

To make things worse they report lost card to credit agencies (Equifax -etc.), and then lie and tell them I'm disputing my account balance, which I never did; I didn't even dispute any transactions since nobody used my card. This resulted in what appears to be a 40 to 80 point reduction in my credit score when I ONLY REPORTED LOST CARD - nothing else.

When I call them, they lie and say they have to do this according to federal regulations just like any other bank. Over the years, I have lost a few cards from Wells Fargo, credit unions, and Compass Bank. Every other time, I only get a new card sent - no changes to my account or online access - everyone else is simple - Synchrony tries to destroy your credit and make things difficult if you lose a card. Consider the damage they will do to your credit if you lose or get a card stolen before getting any credit card from this incompetent bank.

Original review: May 21, 2018

SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL is the absolute worst company I have EVER dealt with. We purchased a mattress from Mattress Firm and the financial institution utilized was Synchrony Financial. I paid the 1st 2 payments from an electronic payment through my bank - we had no issues. The 3rd payment transferred a day after the due date. I was charged a late fee but never notified of the late fee, until 90 days after the initial $27 fee was assessed. When I called to discuss the person from India stated that the company would refund the initial late fee along with 2 additional late fees that the account incurred after I made the first call to correct the initial late payment. 2 months later I received a delinquent notice and I called, again spoke with someone in India and they said that the could only credit the late fees but the principal balance was still due.

I questioned if the account was credited correctly after my initial call then why the reason for 2 additional late fees and now 2 more late fees. I was told at that time that I could be transferred to a call center in the USA. I spoke with 2 different people at the US call center and the supervisor was so extremely rude - he went back and forth on his word and the refunds he stated he would apply to the last 2 late charges.

I repeatedly stated that I had all my bank statements the only payment that was late was the 3rd payment. I told them I would email, or fax copies of the bank statements. I told them I would get a letter from the bank. I told them that all my payments are sent electronically and it is taking them 10+ days to post my payments. The call center did not care. They wanted their money the principal payment they said is due. This company is the absolute worst company I have done business with. I thought Bank One was horrible. This one definitely takes the cake. Once this bill is paid off I will NEVER do business with Mattress Firm or Synchrony Bank... BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I recently had to finance a major plumbing issue that occurred at my mother's house. They offered no interest if the balance was paid off in the allotted time. Synchrony Financial never sent me a bill in the mail. I tried to register my account with them and pay online and the site says that my information doesn't match. I call and find out that someone at this institution entered my birthday in wrong. The bank said that that I had to send in identification via fax. I thought that was strange because it is 2018. I fax them multiple times and they still don't do anything to unlock my account.

The lady that I spoke to was very rude. I decided that I didn't want to deal with this unethical business so I had a balance transfer. Synchrony Financial still charged me a late fee. I advise anybody to stay away from this company. They will do anything in their power to take advantage of you, stall your payments, etc. I will never give them another penny. I have a credit score of 800 and will gladly close this account out even if it means it lowers my credit.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I'm having issues logging into my online account so I called the number on the back of my card 2 weeks ago. They said they would pass the info about my issue to try to get it fix, ok. 2 weeks later same issue so I called. Got the same person on the line (kinda weird but ok). I did what they said. Try all the different browsers on a different network. Same thing and access denied. After speaking with the woman they said there is no tech support to send me over to (huh red flag. My next call will be to BBB). Do not get this card. There is no online protection. I am very concerned about this.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Please be aware of how Synchrony Bank operates. They giveth then taketh away. I bought furniture from Value City using a Synchrony card close to two years ago. I decided to pay off a couple of my cards with Synchrony being one of them. If you know the process of buying a home, the more available credit you have the debt to income ratio can work in your favor. So I waited to see my available credit to appear, but it never did appear after paying the card off, I come to find out the company decided to close my account, saying I'm high risk, even though I never been late or had a delinquent account with them.

Apparently they run your credit occasionally to view your overall history when making a determination of keeping you as a customer. Regardless of your history with them. Poor business practice. I received the card when my times were not bad and now that I'm transitioning to clear some of my previous bad credit behaviors i.e using 83% of my available credit at the time of their review, they pull the carpet right from under your feet. If they gave me back the credit line of $1600 the my available credit would have been more, which would have made a better look on my credit score. I will never apply for any department store card that is associated with Synchrony. I advised whoever that applies be leary on their practice. They are not for your best interest as a consumer. They are only looking out for their best interest as a business. It's not a win-win situation when working with Synchrony. They are not in the best interest of their consumers.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Synchrony Bank has the worst customer service in the business. They close accounts you pay off completely even though you paid the payments on time without any issues. When you call customer service you get overseas operators, then they transfer to another call center who then transfer to another call center, while only giving the same canned response. "NO ONE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTION - YOU WILL GET A LETTER". Really? This is good customer relations? All the companies using this bank as their credit giver is losing customers because they do not adhere to US credit standards. Enough of a rant... this company is not good for business. Finished!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have given the company 3 chances to get it right and they failed miserably which leads me to believe they are purposely withholding payment amounts in an extremely unethical attempt to get interest paid out. Promotional balances dated first should be paid first, no excuses. They require you to watch each statement and "reallocate funds" over the phone is the only method; I have prepaid minutes they now wasted as well. Example I had 2 promos upcoming of a $300 payment. A ridiculous amount was applied to the promos, the one due this month only had $30 it's still there!

Their hope it seems is that electronic statements means few people actually go CHECK the statements do this every time! I get to waste more phone minutes as the call I made last time did not even get done properly either. Closing the account after this and while I am supposed to represent Walmart and offer this card I let customers know the game they play. Convenience was the only reason I got the card to begin with. Hope the BBB comes down on this company.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I got, for the 10th time in a row now, a call from Synchrony Bank about an hour ago. They claim that my payment didn't go through because of insufficient funds in my other bank, but I posted the payment the day I got paid and had over 500$ in that account. My payment only being 75$ (normally 25$ but there was a 50$ late fee because the same exact thing happened the previous month but I was tired of fighting these people). They now want 140$ as a payment for last month and this month, when I normally owe 25$ a month. All this because they have the worst payment system ever. It'll take 2 weeks sometimes for a payment to actually post when I pay online. It won't matter if I use a debit card or my actual account number from my primary checking. It's almost like they wait for there to be no money in my checking account before they go and try and take the money.

The worst part is that there's absolutely no indication of this for the user. The page will tell you that your payment has successfully been processed and that's it. I pay the bill on time every time, but the delay is what gets me. They also refuse to waive any of the late fees at all. This is obviously their entire business strategy. How else would they make any money with 0% interest for 3 years? Now I'm worried about bad marks on my credit because this company has a inability to make an accurate and timely billing system. DO NOT EVER USE THEIR SERVICES! I have now paid 400$ in late fees because of this, on a 1000$ loan. None of my other Banks have this issue. I'll post a payment, and it'll take the money. Simple as that. I wish there was something I could do, but I'm stuck with this until I can pay off this loan entirely.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought a new 2013 Kawasaki Motorcycle that was financed through Synchrony Bank and found there is not an easy way to submit your payment, they do not offer any way online to pay or even check your account and they send a statement to you in the mail every month. I found you can call their 800 number but the system is always 3-4 days out of date stating that the payment was posted by that many days previous but their system doesn't show it as credited to your account till 3-4 days later.

I used to pay online through SunTrust's billpay and they could send it electronically in 3-4 days but the credit union that I've switched to does not recognize them to send electronically but will mail a check for me instead. My account was debited and the check was mailed on April 30th 2018, it was last scanned in Atlanta on May 2nd 2018, which is where Synchrony is located but payment still has not been posted to my account or has cleared. I have found since mailing these checks that it takes 2 business days after it gets to Atlanta that they will post to my account.

I do not understand why it takes that long after they receive payment, do they not check the PO Box every business day? If they do not it seems like they can hold payments close to the due dates just so they can collect late fees. I've had this loan now for 4 yrs and not once have I been late. The main reason I am upset is the payment is due today and yet they have not posted it to my account. I had it mailed with plenty of time for them to receive and post it. I am seriously contemplating on refinance it through my credit union just to be rid of the hassle.

Updated on 05/11/2018: My payment was due on the 9th and they still had not posted the mailed check to my account so I called them and they had no record of receiving that payment or any memo relating to it, I had them do an automatic transfer from my checking account so it would post that day and I wouldn't be late, fortunately there was no charge for that, afterwards I submitted an inquiry about the missed payment with my bank and to tell them that I had called Synchrony and they had no record of receiving that payment.

This morning I receive an email from my bank stating the payment has cleared as of yesterday May 10th. I do not understand how a payment they have no record of receiving just suddenly appears on the day after the due date when it's been delivered for a week and had plenty of time to be credited to my account. I called Synchrony to check the verification of payment but the automated system when you send in a mailed check takes longer for some reason so it hasn't been updated but they did show the automatic transfer right away. So now it looks like I will have to resort to calling them every month to perform an automatic transfer. At least I will be credited the same day but a major hassle in the end.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I went to Pearle Vision to purchase glasses. The representative said that Pearle Vision had a credit card so I applied, no problem. My husband had his thru a dental office. They do not tell you when you get the card that there is a promotional time limit on the credit. Stupid me I did not see that on the application. Well when my husbands promotional period was up they prorated the interest, so he owed more than what was left on his balance. I called and paid off the balance and they were going to take off the inflated interest. That took 3 months. So I carefully keep an eye on my balance. When the promo was coming to an end I paid off my balance in full. Paid by 2 different debit accounts. Well the Synchrony Bank kicked back the one payment and sent me another statement with the remaining balance and an inflated interest amount.

When I called customer service was very rude. Had to demand to speak with a supervisor. He gets on the phone and I explain that they kicked the payment back to me. He said they had not. I said that I was looking at my bank statement. He then told me to FAX a copy of it to them. I told him this is 2018 and people do not use a fax machine and asked for an email. I was told they do NOT have an email address. I paid off my balance and supposedly he took off the interest charge. I will have to wait till the next statement to see. NEVER NEVER EVER use them!!! They have unfair practices stacked against the consumer. Shame on you Synchrony Bank!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I made a purchase of new devices from Google, and they used Synchrony Financial to provide 0% interest financing. I have had nothing but problems with this bank in this bank. First they didn't apply my first payment correctly to my loan, which is usually required before autopay kicks in. Second, when autopay made its first payment, it took the entire loan balance, instead of the monthly minimum payment. Third, customer service has been extremely unhelpful when contacting them to resolve the issue. Forth, the resolution of reissuing me a check for the incorrect payment took way too long for them to process and deliver to me. And I fully expect to continue to encounter errors in the months to come until the loan is paid off.

Original review: April 24, 2018

A dental office was about to fill out an application for a credit card for me for $7,000.00 for dental work through Synchrony Bank (CareCredit). I was lied to about payments due and about duration of payment, by the dental office's Office Manager filling out the application. Conflict of interest to say the least, both profited from this transaction. Later I found out that in 2013 Synchrony Bank was hit with a $34.1 million dollar action by Consumer Bureau. "Consumer Bureau hits medical financing company CareCredit with $34.1 million action" in the article it clearly states... "Patients must also be enrolled directly through a CareCredit representative, not through the office staff of a doctor or dentist, for transaction over $1,000."

Apparently they did not take that seriously and either did the dental office. So now I am stuck because I owe a lot of money and I have no teeth because it was denture issue. I have filed a dispute but I am not hopeful because I am getting the run around. I have also filed a complaint with CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) hoping they will realize what has happened and help me. Beware of this in doctor, dentist and even vet office, do not allow anyone else to fill out applications because they can manipulate interest rates, payment, duration to their advantage. I was told that I would have 18 month interest free.

When I didn't get that I called Synchrony Bank and they told me "we can't change your promotional, you have to get the dentist office to do that". What, the credit card company who gave me the card can't do anything about the promotional rates??? The dentist office who is benefiting by getting full payment for 16 teeth and denture (even though I didn't receive dentures) money upfront is the only one who can change promotional rates??? Wow, conflict of interest if I ever heard of it!!! I might expect this from a used car dealer but a DENTIST office. I am in shock, in fear, in a panic cause I have no clue how to get this resolved.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Despite my credit rating going up over 700 this past year, this bank has continually reduced my credit limit and cites outdated credit information as their reason for doing so. I was literally looking at my TransUnion and Equifax reports as the Synchrony Bank representative read off the exact same outdated credit information they'd been using to reduce my limit for over six months now. This bank should not be allowed to operate within the United States as they do not adhere to the US Credit Reporting System and they do whatever they want based on nothing but their own will.

Original review: April 18, 2018

NEVER use this company, their rep made a miscalculation when going through how much I need to pay monthly to avoid interest and it cost me $469 on an original $1800 dentist bill. They will not budge though it was their rep's fault. Now I am paying interest on the balloon interest charge. WORST COMPANY out there.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Multiple calls and the same outcome. Sit on hold, get transferred to another department who then tells you they are not the correct department and ask you to call back the next day. They are so incompetent you can hear someone else in the background telling them what to say... they can't give you any information and just keep bouncing you around. Horrible, they don't even deserve the 1 start you're forced to give here.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This is the worst bank and I still in surprise why organizations are still encouraging this fraud bank. I don't want to bore you with telling what happened to me as it's similar to the other people. But organizations must quit this bank which uses rules and loopholes to loot people, for the good of the community. Whenever you are taking some store credit cards first ask them which bank is behind it and if it is this fraud bank, then reject otherwise for the promo price you will be paying more than that and you will be stressed. Note: They will not send the card and behind they will pile the late fees and whatnot every ** charge and you will not be helped by anyone.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I was contacted by a collection agent representing Synchrony Bank. We set up monthly payments but Synchrony keeps sending me late notices and interest is being accumulated. They are taking $100 a month from my account and my balance has not gone down. WORST bank to do business with. NEVER EVER AGAIN. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY ARE BLOOD SUCKERS.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had a Walmart and American Eagle credit card through Synchrony and ALWAYS made payments on time, and never maxed out the accounts. When I had them paid off (both were paid off and closed at different times) and hadn't used the cards in a matter of months they closed both accounts citing negative reports on my credit. However they gave me both accounts with the credit score that I had and if anything my credit score has gotten better so where they get the right to hurt my credit score based on having a card paid off I do not understand. It is a horrible greedy company. No matter what I will never do business through them again.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information