Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the worst credit card company I have ever dealt with. Every time you pay your balance down they lower your credit limit to match your balance. To other creditors you appear to be maxed out which lowers your overall credit score. We will be paying them off and closing this account and I'm reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission. This company is crooked.

I've had an account with Synchrony Financial through Lowe's, and now through Sleep Number's. And it never fails that I make every payment but still incur late charges because I was a day early with my payment. Their customer service is unable to adjust the payment so that it covers the intended billing period. I hate being penalized for being early with my payment, and they should have the ability to make those adjustments. I'll never do business with them, or any business that uses them, in the future.

Two years ago I let the clerk at Gap talk me into getting a credit card to save 20 percent on a pair of underwear. At first I demurred, because I'm out of the country a lot and was worried about missing a bill... She pointed out that they do all of their billing online, so I don't have to worry... made perfect sense. Then about a year ago, I got an e-mail from a company called "Synchrony Credit" telling me they'd taken over the credit cards for Gap. The e-mail told me to go to Synchrony's site and log in using my Gap credentials.

I assumed it was some sort of phishing expedition and wondered what kind of a moron would give their log-in to a company with a fake-sounding name, especially since Gap hadn't ever mentioned that they were switching. A few months later, I come back to the US and find paper bills. Synchrony used to be the in-house credit-card agency of GE, and now they are issuers for hundreds of retailers, including Gap, and apparently to save themselves money they consolidated all of their customers on their own site. It turns out I had an outstanding $20 balance on my Gap card which I'd forgotten about... and since I wasn't getting notices from Gap, I ignored the phishing expedition.

You see where I'm going: I paid as soon as I realized the charges were legit, but these yahoos lowered my limit, which somehow lowered my credit rating... so now I have a lower credit rating because I wanted to save 20 percent on some new underwear... and getting a straight answer from them is impossible. They also say it's impossible for them to send me a PDF of my statements. It all has to be done by mail. I can pay online, but I can't see what I'm paying for. These incompetent imbeciles now manage credit cards for hundreds of retailers, and they have no regard for the way their errors impact customers. SLEAZEBALLS!

The PayPal account I closed being frustrated with credit card customer support (only one phone number on card) and automatically asks you to prompt a survey and then it hangs up after you complete survey!! I had to call later several times to finally get automated directory be put on wait before getting to speak to a Philippine... which offered no restitution to this fraud. Corrupt Synchrony banksters never provided 1st billing statement via email or by mail. Then the late fee thing with penalty even after it were to be resolved finally was in fact ignored!! Folks like this I honestly could gun down. Not paying no penalty fees on card I fully paid and canceled and their 2% reward cash points they voided!!! Lol... No matter what why government don't shut these thugs down unless they are corrupt as well?

I've been wronged by Synchrony Financial and have notified them and the companies that use this institution of such. I will be bringing lawsuit against them for ruining my name and affecting my credit for no reason. They lowered and even closed several of my excellent standing accounts for no reason. Yes this upset me because I worked hard to build up my credit after a nasty divorce. Something that took years to build back up, they tore down with one click. If you've been wronged by this company for any reason and would like to be named in a lawsuit as a plaintiff, you may contact me via this post.

I am not an attorney and I cannot represent you, but your case can become a lawsuit in conjunction with, if you sincerely feel they have illegally wronged you and your name. This Financial institution is the worst I've seen in my 28 years having a credit history with anyone. They are bullying their cardholders for no reason and should be held accountable for doing this. If they are having problems with their own accounting, good consumers should not pay for their inside issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

These idiots are ruining my credit. My Credit Utilization will not go down because every time I make a payment, they lower my limit. I have never been late. I have a 100% payment rating. I just paid off $7000 in credit and my score still can't go up, because once these crooks got their money, my limit went down to that amount. Please think twice before using this bank. I am canceling every one of my cards with them, not a very smart way to stay in business imbeciles!

I just called their support line to ask a very simple question. How long can my Musician's Friend credit card be inactive without being closed? Seems like a very simple question to me. The answer I was given: "We (the Synchrony Bank) do not close credit card accounts, only the credit bureau can do that." Lol are you kidding me? Banks (lenders) open and close accounts, not the credit bureau. What a joke. Their support staff is not knowledgeable or at worst, liars.

I just received a letter stating my TJX card has been closed. I have NEVER been late and I just paid the account off in full in May. I have derogatory items on my credit from several years ago that was there when I received the card however Karen the manager stated despite my excellent payment history as a faithful customer, it didn't matter because the derogatory items on my credit superseded my current situation. Granted I have not had one late payment since 2013 and it's now 2017. The only new recent account I have is a personal loan I took out to consolidate some credit card balances.

So despite my EXCELLENT payment history with Synchrony Bank they felt as though I am unworthy to hold their $300 credit limit account. Now I am going to close my Gap account and I will NEVER do business with this horrible bank. I wish I had read these reviews prior to opening the accounts. There has been no benefit to me even having the accounts and now they have made my credit worse with an account being "closed by creditor" and the account had a positive track record. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE COMPANY who would rather have customers make late payments and charge them a fee then customers who are faithful with a less than perfect "credit score".

Calling every day 4-5 times, even Sunday!!! Synchrony needs a penalty. Harassed me everyday. I set up auto since February 2017 for $50.00. Even today I was in chat session with representative they called, phone log printed. I'm disabled, suffer anxiety. Stress caused. They owe me a compensation & hurting my credit score.

This is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. I made a mistake and sent a payment to this crap bank. I did not realize the payment was attached to an old paid off account. As soon as I realize what had happened I had my financial institution contact Synchrony Bank and request a refund they were told no problem it would be issued in ten days. Today I followed up and was told four to six months. They have money not due to them, earning interest on it and apparently there is nothing I can do. I have cut up all charge cards that are associated with this crap bank and notified the companies I will no longer be patronizing their stores as long as they associated with these crooks.

I have several accounts with Synchrony Bank. Now they're going around reducing my credit limit for being a good customer. I never had a credit company do that before. For having a good payment history and for paying off my credit cards.

If you are looking at using this company - STOP AND READ THIS FIRST. I don't believe this company even deserves a one star rating! This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their Customer Service (which is in the Philippines) can do nothing except read from a script and keep placing you on hold, until you demand to be transferred to the US. When and if you finally speak to someone and explain the issue, they tell you "We will have to send that for an investigation." Don't bother to ask for a call back because they will tell you they don't make call outs. Well, they can certainly call and harass you about your payment, like several times a day! Clearly a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. What kind of Customer Service is this? It's NOT!

After a year and a half of calling numerous times trying to get somewhere with Synchrony, they keep applying late fees and have stalled to the point where now the interest will be tacked on AND they have turned it over for collections. REALLY?! So what am I doing about it? I filed a complaint with the BBB, The Kentucky Attorney General and the Florida Attorney General and the FTC. I am sending a detailed letter to the Senior Specialist of Corporate Consumer Relations, the President and CEO, the EVP and CFO and also to the EVP and CEO of Care Credit (I am purposefully not giving out their names here).

I have to say that this was by far the WORST customer experience I have ever had with any company. I only had the card (Walmart Credit Card) for a short period of time and it was a nightmare from beginning to end. I was never properly billed for the card so I was charged late fees. I went online to set up payments and their system kicked them back. I have done online bill pay with countless companies and never had this problem. So I spoke with a Representative and explained my issues stating I would pay my balance at the next billing cycle and close my account. They cancel my card before I can do it. Worst service ever!!!!

The worst credit card experience I have ever had. I will write a 1,000 reviews on these guys. I had 6 months no interest credit card. I've done this prior at Sears, etc and have never had a problem. I went online and set up my payment for each month so I would have a 0 balance at the end for the promotional period. Since I didn't pick the correct date they kept adding "late" service fee even though I was paying on the account each month. 0% interest cost me $142.00. Not worth it. Not OK and it is a scam. Oh and they got mad when they knew how upset I was and told me they were professional. Professional con artist, yes you are.

I have had my CareCredit account for several years and used it a few times a year. I always made my payments on time. I have not used it now for approx a year and I learned from Credit Karma my account was closed and in a negative manner dropping my credit score. I called and they stated it was due to inactivity. Ok fine but no response why it was reported as a negative on my account. My balance was zero and my payments were on time. Do not open an account with these lenders and there should be laws protecting our credit from whatever these lenders just feel like saying.

I have had a CareCredit card for many years. I have never missed a payment and have paid the balance owed in full early more than once. Today I was told my card is cancelled because of my credit score. Where is the customer loyalty for always making payments on time and even paying balances early? They don't care about customer service at all. They also cancelled my Lowe's card and I'm expecting them to cancel my Amazon card next. All three cards have zero balance but they are making my score worse by lowering my available credit to debt ratio. I will never use them again. Deceptive practices! No customer loyalty.

They are the worst credit company bank I have ever seen!!! NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!!! NO BUSINESS ETHICS!!! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! I get a notice in the mail that they re-reviewed and decided that I had too many delinquencies (even though I have NOT paid any cards late, all on time, go figure). Haven't even used theirs, it's been sitting. I only have gas cards for a road trip. Just in case.

Well I guess I can expect they will cancel my Lowe's, and Valero accounts too which I never use either. I unsubscribe from all the many BP emails and maybe they got nervous, who knows!!! It's so insulting, that I have to wonder why they are still in business at all!!! Thinking that I should inform BP directly at corporate, etc. to see if anything can be done. Think this closed acct. will affect my credit, but I can submit a nasty explanation on the bureaus. I am going to boycott all their businesses that they do unless I get some closure. Really unbelievable.

I got a Care Credit account in Jan. 2016 & was paying it, early. On May 19th I sent a money order for about $90. I soon learned that I wasn't credited with the payment. They claimed they never got it. I paid $18. To get proof from MO company that they deposited my payment on June 25th I sent a certified letter with proof of payment asking for them to credit my account & refund or credit my account with my $18. Cost of proof. No reply! Calling customer revealed that they were "investigating" & that they didn't receive my mailed proof though I had the mail receipt. I subsequently wrote with proof of payment processing again [certified] plus proof that they got my 1st letter & said I was seeking legal advice. No response again! I phoned & was told they were "investigating" & they STILL hadn't credited my account with said payment.

I finally got the "lost" payment applied in late Sept./early Oct., 2016. [Don't recall exact date now, but it was that long since their receipt of payment on May 25th.] I later phoned them confirming the account pd. off. They advised they were sending me $60.00 for overpayment. Days later I was BILLED for $60.00. My Philippine-inquiry resulted in the women demanding if I wanted to close the account. They acknowledged it was pd. off. If you must use their account.; be very careful. They're DISHONEST & dangerous to your credit. I later heard that closing the account damaged my credit score.

STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS AS POSSIBLE!!! I pity you if you already have an account with these crooks. I don't know how they are still in business. I make my payments online ON TIME every month. But not according to them. I get a call saying I missed the past 2 payments. After speaking with the lady, she found where I made one of the payments. But now she can't find where I made the other payment. Come to find out, the payment never went through, but I did pay it. I don't recommend paying online. Their website is just as bad as all of their other services. I'm being charged a late fee, from no fault of my own. Now this goes on not only my credit report but the person who cosigned for me. They hurt people's credit when they're the ones at fault. If someone hadn't have cosigned they would not get another red cent from me.

They should be sued – put out of business! Seems what they are doing is unethical and illegal! I have read many posts about people with the same problems that I have had with them!!! They will lower your credit limit without warning (for no reason other than your overall credit score has lowered and no payments to them are even late) therefore making your balance over the credit limit, charged an over the limit fee and using 100% of your credit limit! Thus reducing your credit score! Which if you have more than one account with them, the next card will do just the same! I had a small Belk card, paid on time, limit 500.00, balance 118.00. Reduced my limit to 100.00! Boom! Over the limit, fees charged, credit score reduced! No warning! I have paid them off. Will NEVER use this bank again! Anyone interested in a Class Action Lawsuit!??

Well at least when I look on this website I see plenty of others experiencing the same issues I am with Synchrony Bank. They are rude, they lie, they are very informal with their own processes, and without explanation. My credit line was decreased. Funny, other credit card companies were giving me offers and yet another major creditor just increased my credit. No formal letter, no explanation - But when I called them - I get a non-English speaking rep. from some place in Florida. I find that hard to believe.

I was told, my payment was late - Sure, that was my fault - But my balance was - Paid in Full. I asked Synchrony to consider removing any LATE fees if any exist - "No Sir, no late fees, but I noted this on the account. Let me talk with a supervisor. Sir, Sorry to keep you holding, my supervisors said we will note this on the account and remove all late fees as a..." Well you get the idea...

Months go by - And NOW - I get a debt collector telling me that I owe almost 200.00 from the time I closed the account back in November/December 2016. No formal letter, no notification - But wait - The Debt collector tells me - "Synchrony Bank tried emailing you." Really? Since when does a bank discuss personal matters with an email account? The debt collector can send a formal letter but a Large Bank can't afford a print out statement? That's interesting. So this will probably go nowhere. I have already tried on several attempts to contact the bank only to get rerouted to a disconnect or someone you can barely understand.

I have been a loyal customer of Lowe's for over a decade but I'm going to stop shopping there due to Synchrony bank being who holds their accounts! As the last person stated they are constantly dropping my credit limit when I have paid as agreed. I'm very OCD about my financials. I call to make sure what's due and they the automated systems tells me that no payment is due then I start getting collection calls and a late fee, when my account had nothing on it at the time! I tend to pay it off in full every month! They have screwed my credit due them constantly dropping my limit! Debit to credit ratio! I've written a letter to the B.B.B. over their poor business practices! Any good lawyers want a client to go after them I'm the perfect example of what their customer loyalty and service is like!

I just wanted to write a review about CareCredit company. First of all am here not only to make a complaint, but also want to inform people for the sole purpose to educate them and be on the watch by this predatory companies in which like to prey on hard working people. On 4/12/2017 I had to make an emergency visit to the dentist for a toothache on my 3rd molar tooth on my right side. I went to my local dentist office and I was charged $1800 for a root canal and crown which I believe is extremely expensive despite I had no pain, I made a $300 payment plus visit fee. Due to the fact that I didn't had the money I decided to use CareCredit for the sole purpose to get my procedure done and not get into the point where I would suffer a toothache. After the payments my dentist told me that my minimum payments would be $58 a month through CareCredit and my first due date would be 5/5/2017.

I receive my statement and guess what I had a bill for $85 a month. While checking the statement I saw that CareCredit was charging me interest and am not even late. It's only my 1st payment and I am being charged for Credit, Fees & Adjustments for $27.50 and a Interest Charge of $8.77. How in the hell I get charge interest and it my first payment? Can someone explain? I decided to contact my dentist to confirm if they made a mistake and they provided me documentation in which was filed correctly, so I contact CareCredit and no one answered. All I get is dial tone machine, but no key to speak to a representative.

After reading my statement I believe I sign a deal with the devil himself (Dave Fasoli CEO of CareCredit). They charged deferred interest. I am extremely angered and sadden that this con artist Dave Fasoli is willing to put people through this. My advice to anyone who reads this do not get CareCredit. Is a scam! SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL IS THE BIGGEST CORPORATE GREEDY COMPANY THAT IS WILLING TO SCREW YOU TO FILL THEIR POCKETS. Any legal advice to deal with this? I will continue to make payments regardless, but I am not happy I will owe this amount or more.

I have been having a Wal-Mart credit Card for several years. A couple of months ago I was reviewing my credit card statement and learned that Credit Cards Services was charging me $12.65 for a protection plan just in case I lose my job per the company. I explained that I had not signed up for it and I wanted them to discontinue that services and the lady agreed. They credited my account $400.00. I was told after she credited my account that the reason I was able to get the card because of the protection coverage. No one had ever told me that. Nevertheless, in two months, my credit limit was dropped, I was told after they reviews my account it was necessary. It's so sad that these people are making money off consumers basically saying, "I need you to pay me more money for this credit card." I refuse to keep paying for something I will not use. I want the decision to be mine since I am paying and not the company.

I have a Walmart account with them. I was late 2 times this year. They reduced my credit limit to 800. I owe them like 50 dollars less than that. So here is my problem with this whole pile of BS. The letter states that other factors caused them to reduce my limit from 3000 to 800 which means other accounts on my credit report that have nothing to do with this account at all. There is no such thing as fair credit reporting anymore. Is all lies. I contacted them and no one could tell me what specific thing cause this only that it was a good business decision and that it would not be corrected.

I would have not had an issue if they would have reduced it to 1400. At least I would not have been at 100%. It makes no sense to me how this helps them in the long run. All they have done is cause my score to drop worse than it already was. I am not telling you my score is great. It is not but to put me at 100% is just low down and dirty. I wish someone could really do something with these credit card companies like Synchrony Bank. Just another dirty bank.

This banking system is flawed and insensitive. Both parents went into two separate ER rooms, ICU rooms, morgue, funerals and finally double burials beginning Feb 6, 2017. I having slept by my parents side while one in morgue the other pronounce dead held on life support. I still drove 100 miles home to take care of my personal affairs and paid Walmart account 300.00 and minimum payment 25.00. Yes two payments. Funerals 2/27/2017.

March two payments 350.00 and minimum payment 25.00. Switch my banking of all my credit cards and forgot my auto payment to Walmart in the amount of 25.00. So that meant 3 payments each were initiated for the month of Feb and March. I get the April schedule payment ahead of time for April 26 NSF, unnoticed and scheduled one for May 3, 2017. Caught that only Walmart payment was scheduled in the wrong account but they still were paid two payments in one month passed the minimum. The account was closed yesterday, although I was told that it closes after 3 NSF. I have proof of deaths, but most of all they got two payments and passed the minimum. They closed the account anyway.

I feel like there was absolutely no compassion, no attempts review my bank statements and obituaries stamped by the county; nothing. Stay away from this bank. I will wait to see what happens to my credit. I was so caught up that I made more than three payments to Walmart and that was not even appreciated or recognized. I forgot to delete third payment each month.

I receive by mail a refund check from this bank for $1.02 and I call them for credit to my account and they say no. I went to Walmart to use for buy and also cashier not want. I go to customer service for cash and they want $3.00 for cash them. I not understand Synchrony between Walmart and Synchrony Bank for this nonsense idea from this business.

I have had this card for over 3 years. I have never had a late payment. EVER. I usually made multiple payments in a given month more than the minimum payment. I had a credit limit of $2800 until I checked this morning and it was lowered to $2200. When I chatted with the online chat rep all he could say was he was sorry and that I would get a letter in the mail. I told him I was sorry for him that he works for such a terrible company that treats its loyal customers this way. My last balance was $1700, way below the credit limit. I asked for one increase to my limit last month - my scores (all of them) were above 670. They refused to increase. (Ironically, 3 of my other credit cards granted my credit increases - all soft pulls). Currently, I am making payments to my vet for a surgery due to the fact they would not increase my limit so I could use this card.

I am so done with this card. Also, they do not allow you to transfer your balance to a credit card with lower interest rates and you must pay in cash every time. I have 7 open c.c accounts - all in great standing and one collection (paid in full - one month after it was reported - over 3 years ago). I have also paid off 2 bank loans and one student loan in the last 3 years in full. So, I don't really understand why they did what they did to my credit decrease - live and learn and I will pay off this card asap. If anyone even thinks about getting this card, DO NOT DO IT. You are better off getting a secured or higher interest sub-prime credit card than this one. The interest rates with those cards are actually lower than this card. My interest is 29.99% and they never lower it no matter what you do. So, again...do not never get this card!

I had a acct two years ago and paid in it monthly until I fell on hard times. They contacted me last year about paying on my acct. I explained my situation to them and they rudely said they couldn't do anything and that I needed to pay 2000 dollars to them as a payment the same day like someone has that much for a payment! I asked to get out on a payment plan. They still said no and said they would see me in court. Needless to say I got a subpoena on my front door to go to court for the original CareCredit Amour and they already sent garnishment papers to my employer to take money next Friday and the court date isn't until 09/30/2017.

This company is sheer fraud and purposefully deceitful. I was guaranteed that I would not pay interest. I have since paid triple in interest payments than the original credit payment. I cannot log onto my account to see what I have been charged because I do not have an account number and I have no way to figure out my account number. They will not give you this info over the phone even if you give them your social sec #, address, phone, etc. I have tried for years to access my account online, but they always say something to prevent me from logging onto my account to see what they are charging me for. I have sent several emails inquiring about my balance. No response. Ever. They will not allow you to access your own account easily because they know that are cheating you and you will call them out.

They are now telling me that the rules of the original agreement changed and they, of course, sent an email stating this. I have no record of this and when you change the rules of a contract, you must have a signature. I cannot access account, I cannot find out what I have paid, been dealing with them for years and I just had THREE "supervisors" hang up on me. They don't even let you speak, they just speak over you. Unbelievable lack of customer service. Yes, when someone starts a class action lawsuit, please include me because this is, by far, the most deceitful and most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Profile