Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Synchrony Bank is poor reflection on Sleep Number and I advise that they find someone else to partner with for financing beds. Synchrony Bank has a cumbersome and unintuitive user interface that creates confusion on simple tasks such as setting up autopay. Cumbersome customer service unable to fix issues in a timely manner. I highly regret using this bank in conjunction with the purchase of my Sleep Number bed. Hard credit hit for subpar service. Will not use them again and frustrated that Sleep Number chose a bank that does not live up to the standards Sleep Number strives for.

On 4/26/2009 I cosigned a CareCredit account for my son so that he could get some dental work done. The credit line was set at $3000.00. On 8/28/2017 my son passed away unexpectedly at age 34. On 9/18/2017 I contacted Synchrony Financial to find out the balance of the CareCredit account and take care of the account. I discovered that the credit line had been increased to $6400.00 at some point and I had not been notified. They state that they sometimes increase credit lines without notification. There is no way that my son's credit rating would have qualified the increase, he was struggling financially.

They must have done the increase based on my credit rating and did not contact me as the cosigner. I am more than willing to pay the $3000.00 that I cosigned for, however they are telling me that I must pay the entire amount owed which is $6,222.91. They said that the account does not qualify for any assistance. I was only able to get to a second level in management and was told that no one higher on the chain is available by phone. This is a terrible company that takes advantage of people in need of medical care and charges 26.99% interest on the accounts.

I had an Old Navy store card that got automatically upgraded to a Visa card, and they closed my store card account. Apparently, some charges were pending or they just transferred a balance to the closed card, and now I can't make payments on that closed account at all. They send me NOTICE OF RIGHT TO CURE DEFAULT letters in snail mail and email, and even when I make a payment with a customer service rep over the phone, the payment gets posted to my Visa account within 48 hours. So I have a credit on my Visa account while my closed account still has an overdue warning. I've made an official CFPB complaint but haven't heard anything yet. What's worse is that their site can only be accessed with Internet Explorer, and when I click Chat with a Representative it logs me out. Seriously incompetent across the board. I will NEVER ever in a million years do business with Synchrony again.

So of course I was prequalified to receive a Walmart and BP credit which are ran by the same bank. BP mysteriously sent a letter decreasing my 500 limit 6 months after only having for 6 months. What's funny about this is that I had paid the crap off and then utilized 180 of it on a road trip. And upon my return I saw the credit line decreased to the actual current balance used which was a slap in my face. I didn't think too much into it because it was a low credit card and just got it canceled. Their reasoning was that my credit was bad with too many accounts and blah blah blah! Now I had thought about paying my Walmart off but thought maybe they will pull the same crap as BP and what would you know, after paying it off and spending about 180 my limit decreased to 200 with the same tired reasons that BP offered. But now I'm calling BS!

Walmart actually gave me a credit line increase last Christmas which I thought was sneaky of them and actually at a time where my credit utilization was maxed. So now for some reason you cut my credit limit by over a thousand dollars when my credit score has much improved from that 500 score you prequalified me off of! And then you do it at a time when Equifax has a security breach!!! This is very fishy. And to top it all off while they were decreasing my limits, every last credit I have increased my credit limit and they have never decreased it so what's really good? And I paid all my bills on time, NEVER A LATE PAYMENT! So are you mad because I never maxed out my cards and have you drown me in interest rates for years?

Beware of this card because no one has time to wonder when they will decrease your credit limit because there is no given time frame for when they'll decide to start messing with your credit!!! Needless to say I better pay this 180 before my next billing cycle so they won't think I've maxed out my limit which it will technically look like! A closed account continues to measure credit utilization too which sucks sort of!

I have had endless issues trying to access my accounts as Synchrony bank consistently tries to prove my identity by sending a text or call to a phone number that has not been associated with my person for over 7 and a half years. First, when I was initially trying to register to access my account and each subsequent attempt after. I will be closing my account because what is the purpose of a savings account if you cannot access the account?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

1st of all, I was not aware that Synchrony was the bank associated with all of my bigger credit cards. In fact, I had them for a very long time before I realized it. I always paid my bills on time, but stupid me, got them to a ridiculous amount to the point I could not pay them anymore. So, I decided to close them, and did a balance transfer with another company (Discover) and with a much lower interest amount. Most people who are just like me, never look to see what bank the card is affiliated with!!! Synchrony has the worse interest rate, no matter how good your credit might be. I finally feel free and less stressed with Discover taking care of getting me back on track, and helping me keep my fair rating to good and very good, hopefully soon. DO NOT USE SYNCHRONY BANK!! Yes I am yelling, as I want all to hear!!

I have never had much luck with any of their customer service agents in resolving issues. Agents are incompetent. The latest was a purchase through a Kraft Music who offered Mysynchrony interest free financing. Kraft Music walks me through Mysynchrony 12 month "interest free" financing. set up auto-pay minimum payment and Mysynchrony will automatically calculate the monthly payments to avoid interest. This was the Yamaha financing which should have been the same as HOME DESIGN - CE / APPL / SYNCB offered by Sweetwater Sound which does accurately calculate out interest free payments. But it does not. The 12 month became an 18 month and the minimum payments were $36 short of the required monthly payment to avoid interest charges. I contacted their customer service and had to sit through a lengthy automated review of my account which I already was aware of.

The automated operator continued without any direct access to customer service. After several minutes after yelling "customer service" the system finally responded. I was told that there would be a customer survey at the end that the representative would not be aware of. I was finally connected with a customer service woman that I could barely understand due to her mumbling and a baby crying in the background. She was obviously working from home. I told her the information and she had problems understanding the issue. She refused to acknowledge that the minimum payments were not accurately calculated and that the loan term was incorrect.

I manually adjusted the payments and she was supposed to hang up after the call so that I could take the survey. She apparently knew about the survey and intentionally kept the line open until the system automatically hung up - so I could not even give my negative input. Summary: the bank has set the system up to trick customers into interest payments.

When my wife applied for a credit account via Synchrony Financial, who for some reason changed their previous name from "GE Care Credit", they asked me for my information as well to verify since she is not a U.S. citizen. Synchrony Financial ILLEGALLY SWITCHED the account information to my name when I wasn't the original applicant.

For weeks I have been trying to contact them to advise them of the UNLAWFUL change of contract without either of our consent. Their "customer service" is located in India, who has no clue about Contract Law in the United States and they refuse to remove the ILLEGALLY ALTERED contract from my name. This is a red flag WARNING to NOT TRUST the India-based company, who like all other scams in India, steal your money, your identity, and say, "There is nothing we can do", which is the only thing India-based customer service companies ever tell customers. DO NOT USE OR SUPPORT this scam-bank from India.

These companies had elected a terrible bank and we are treated horrible. Shame on this big and popular corporations!!! The debt might be 200$ but the add so many fees that the balance on each card totals over 1000$. So I am not going to pay them a cent and I would fight it in court!!! I feel for all the people that they are scam in SHAME on these companies.

I had a credit card through Synchrony Bank for Banana Republic and Belk and had these cards for many years. In January 2016 my accounts were delinquent by just a few days. However, as soon as I realized I had not paid these bills, I made the payments and my accounts were both current. In November 2016, I paid off both of these cards in full. Since November of 2016 I have not received any further correspondence from Synchrony Bank until August of 2017 when I received 2 letters stating these accounts had been closed due to "severe delinquency" and this information was reported to the credit bureaus which negatively affected my credit score.

I verified with my financial institution that these payments, in fact, cleared my account and payments were made to the appropriate accounts. I then attempted to contact Synchrony Bank for explanation but was told "it is what it is" and they hung up on me. I then contacted the credit bureaus and was told the same thing. I filed a complaint against Synchrony Bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to which Synchrony Bank responded that this was "proper and accurate reporting".

It had been 18 months since the initial delinquency, which was immediately corrected and nearly 10 months after my accounts were both paid in full. My advice to all consumers thinking about applying for any credit card handled by Synchrony Bank is... DON'T! If you have credit cards through Synchrony Bank now, my advice is to pay them off in full as soon as possible and close them immediately so that you don't become another victim of their atrocious business and credit reporting practices. I would love to see an attorney who actually cares about consumer credit affairs to start a class action lawsuit against Synchrony Bank and possibly shut them down for good.

When I purchased furniture at Ashley Furniture, I signed up for the 1 year no interest promotional financing. After 6 months I started being charge interests. When I contacted Synchrony, they explained Ashley entered it as 6 month not 12 months. Which I understand that I need to take it up with Ashley. So I in turn paid off that full balance plus $50, except for another balance from 12 months promotions item I purchased a month before. I am currently on autopay. I just happen to look at my statement today. What I found was an interest charge of $11.51, I understood the fact that was interest billed after the current statement at the time of pay off.

THIS IS THE SKETCHY PART. I was paying $27 a month auto payment. On my statement it was showing a $2.00 charge for interest Month after month. It was interest on the interest that I had been charged. When I checked my statement I notice that the interest balance went up exactly $2 and nothing was subtracted from that balance on each payment. (in other words they deliberately kept raising the balance, so I would keep having to pay a $2 charge) When I called their customer service I asked them why, they explained that 80 to 90% of the payment goes to the promotional financing the other 10 to 20% goes to non promotional.

I asked then why has nothing been allocated to the non promotions financing. She explained that systems sometimes does it every other month. So I asked them why wasn't any funds allocated for 5 months, she said that is just the system. SCAM ALERT. So in conclusion Synchrony Financial has a system set up to deliberately charge their card holders $2 a month. Now that doesn't seem like much but if they have hundreds of thousands of card holder that's a big chunk of change. I guess Wells Fargo is not the only financial institution scamming their members.

The Interest rate of 29.9% is of course ridiculous, but it is 0% interest as long as you pay it off w/in parameters. Here's what I take issue with. Synchrony only allows you to use a checking or savings account free of charge. If you use a debit or credit card, which you cannot do online, you have to call to have associate process the payment for $10! Really!!! This company is in the business to gouge people. And that's confirmed after reading the thousands of reviews. Attn Synchrony weenies! May you drown in karma!

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BECOME ANOTHER VICTIM. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with! I cannot create an account to pay online. Every time I chose my log in info, they make you log in once you created, but then tells you your login is incorrect, and then you create another one and it tells you the same and this happens over and over again.

If you are late on your payment, just once the late fee you are charged is the same amount as your minimum amount due. So if you pay $25 a month and you are late then you are charged $25. So it's as if you didn't even make a payment at all. I know some people will argue and say "well don't be late", but hey, unfortunately things happen, but the amount of the late fee they charge you is absolutely crazy! You can even pay half of you entire bill in one month and if you are even 5 minutes late next month, you're charged a ridiculously high late fees and then they raise your monthly minimum payment. And for some reason there is always more balance due each month when I calculate for what my next payment will be, it's always more.

And of course their customer service, I am sure you can imagine how nice they are, not! They're rude and don't listen to what you have to say and just don't care! Once I am done paying this off, I will never ever ever use them again. There are other options out there that I have used. And they don't charge you out the ** for late fee! DO NOT BE ANOTHER VICTIM, KEEP LOOKING FOR ANOTHER WAY!

The worst service and least user friendly app I have ever encountered. I have been trying to reset my password multiple times so I can pay online. Not only is it NOT allowing me to reset my password after I populated my account, last 4 digits of my social and God knows how much more info. It does not allow me and I have to go through grilling security questions which then lock me out. THEN, when I call customer service, their answer for the past 5 times was, well, you have to wait 30 minutes and then go back to the retarded website so the same thing would happen again.

The last agent I spoke to actually said, "I don't know why this is happening but it's something you have to do." Great customer service when the service agents that work for the company don't even know themselves why it's prompting me to go over the same routine over and over and over again without reaching the final result which is, I JUST WANT TO SIGN INTO MY ACCOUNT SO I CAN PAY. I can't wait to pay it off within a few month, by calling the stupid automated system so I can actually close this account and make sure that whoever I know gets my take on this and never sign up.

I received a credit alert that a hard inquiry was made at Transunion by someone using my credit / Social Security Number to attempt to open a new PayPal account or credit card. The details provided in the credit alert were: SYNCBPAYPALEXTRASMC PO BOX **. Phone **. The phone number was worthless - it's a FAX machine.

Although this review is about Synchrony Financial - some background is appropriate to understand why I'm so angry about this whole thing. Needless to say I tried calling PayPal right away to let them know. Idiots. Tried three times to call and report - only one rep was helpful but the call was cut off after multiple hold times in excess of 30 minutes EACH TIME.

Resorted to email contact with PayPal. After multiple email exchanges in which the representatives had obviously NOT read the details - I finally got a response with a phone number to contact another organization (whom they did not name - ultimately turned out to be Synchrony Financial) - which was worthless because the automated system only provides access if you have an account number. No way to access a human representative.

Next step was to Google which bank provides the PayPal credit card which led me to Synchrony Financial. Tried multiple ways to get in contact with them - tried calling their Fraud and Security (allegedly) direct phone number, tried multiple customer service numbers, tried using GetHuman to find a different number, tried Googling to get any sort of access, tried filing a "Concern" in their "Contact Us" webpage. ALL ABSOLUTELY USELESS. Why? Either because the webpage to file the "Concern" failed to process or because you can only get through on any of the phone numbers if you already have an account number - WHICH I OBVIOUSLY DON'T HAVE. Really??? Trying to report a fraudulent event and you can't get to anyone?? Unbelievable.

Luckily I already have a 7-year Security/Fraud alert filed with all three credit bureaus that prohibit them from granting new credit applications without a direct contact with me for a written authorization. So unless they ignore that and grant the credit account, I should be protected. And if they should approve the credit account for whatever reason, I'll get another credit alert as all my accounts are monitored 24/7 (text and email alerts therefore instantaneous). If that should occur, I'll contact the assigned representative on my credit monitoring account and let them deal with Synchrony Financial because I know they'll listen to them.

I have paid all my credit cards on time and they have increased my limits on my cards without me asking. Now they are cutting the credit limits down to what I owe and making it look like my credit cards are maxed out. Now my credit score is taking a beating. I wish there was a class action lawsuit against them, this is terrible practice, especially if they get your payments on time every month and in good standing with them. They suck, I can tell by all comments on here. It's not just me.

Always find a why to get fees. Can't get notices like others. Not easy to find if they do have them to check late fees are put on even before due and when you pay on time you will get credit in refund. That's one of the biggest changes when the bought PayPal. Interests always goes to highest you can pay soon after the take over and as soon as they charge fees they will call min 8 times a day till they get fees and even lie about refund to get it closed. My Chevron that I always paid in full every month because of this then they added more fees.

I purchased a guitar from Guitar Center and carried a low balance/payment to help build my credit score. After 9 months of not being late I made the fatal mistake of paying my bill 2 days before the fluctuating pay cycle was due. I logged into my account to make the payment the following month it showed that it was late. No one contacted me about being late or making a payment. As soon as I noticed it I made the payment (with fees) without a thought and come to find out they reported it to my credit report as being 30 days late. The result was a 40 point drop in my FICO score!!!

I called the service department and spoke with a customer service manager and tried to gather information to understand my situation. She was RUDE and un-empathetic. In their system it looked like I made 2 payments in the same cycle and none in the next. 2 days early was the difference of 40 points on my FICO. That didn't matter. There was no consideration for their customer. She kept referring to how "they were in their right" and how they weren't responsible for me not paying my bills. How 'bout advocating for and protecting your customer?

I have never had a negative customer service experience like this one. I tried to call back and make a complaint but was told that their "system was down". I will call back when the system is up, pay off the card, and close my relationship with Synchrony. Don't make the same mistake I did and deal with this company. Pay cash or use a reputable card company. I've learned my lesson and I'll be reminded of my mistake for the next 7 years.

If I could this company a minus 10 for a satisfaction rating I would. I have had a BP credit card for over 15 years. For 13 years the card was issued through Chase Bank. I never had a late payment or any issues with my card account the entire time Chase was servicing the account. In 2013 the BP accounts were switched to Synchrony Bank. After all my years with this card and no issues three month after Synchrony took over this card they cut my credit limit half. Now this past week after I had once again paid my balance before the card closed, they closed my account. I did not receive notice that they were doing this. I found out when my statement arrived on the 2nd of August.

When I called customer service and spoke to an account specialist she could not give me a reason as to why it was closed. She said they sent a letter, which is what I was told when they reduced the limit. Three years later still waiting for the letter. After 15 years and never a late payment or any other issue they closed the account, reported to the credit bureau with the comment (closed by granter) no other explanation!!! They dropped my credit score by 54 points. I told them I was going to research every source I can find to file a complaint. I was told that a granter closing an account especially one in good standing has a high impact on your credit score. This bank DOES NOT care.

Synchrony Financial has to be the worst company I have ever dealt with. I don't have much on any of the cards, but they're absolutely ridiculous. Their people can't even add or subtract, not a good way to run a financial company. I had a closed statement on June 30th, with a balance of $110.00. A payment in the activity shows a payment made on June 30th and the current balance is $55.00. A late fee was applied for $25.00 and said no payment was made.

If the balance was $110.00 and a payment was due of $25.00 A payment clearing shown in activity was made for $55.00 after the previous closing statement and 23 days before the due date. How can a late fee be applied idiots? Previous balance $100.00, payment made of $55.00 (25 due) and a balance of $55.00 left, then a late fee of $25.00 applied??? If late fee won't be paid, it will turned over to the Attorney Generals office. The $55.00 remaining balance will be paid and all of my Synchrony Financial accounts will be closed.

I has an issue with credit card balance. I thought I had a zero balance. Somehow they had attached fees. Unfortunately, I was unable to resolve issue. I have my activity pulled up on computer for reference. The first person I spoke with wouldn't let me say anything. He kept interrupting and talking over me, like he was reading from a script. Finally, I asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold for approximately 5-7 minutes. A female supervisor asked me what the problem was? Again, I tried to explain. She started talking over me. She did remark that we had a bad connection. I could hear her fine. In the end, I canceled the card. Credit Karma notified about change in credit score. I checked. For spite, they dinged me for a late payment with the dispute's date. I still have good to excellent credit. A lot of good that did them. My next project is to make list and get rid of all Synch cards.

I had a CareCredit account with synchrony and they closed my account due to other credit issues. I was NEVER late with them. Then they send me a letter telling me to reapply. DUH. Why? You know it will be denied. My advice, avoid these people at all costs!!! You can read the other reviews. They are BAD!!!

This company is HORRIBLE!!! I have a few cards with them and two of them they decided to lower my credit limit after I just paid them $1k!!! I didn't want to use the credit again as I am trying to pay it all off. However, I did want to have that credit ceiling so that it didn't appear that I was maxed out because they lowered my limit to just above my balance!!! I called the Consumer Financial Protection Division and they stated that they were within their legal rights. Well duh!?! Of course, however what should be illegal is making their customers look like they're maxed out. Especially if you have an excellent credit history with them!!! I would like to gather as many complaints as possible and possibly seek a class action lawsuit or present to my senator/congressman. If interested please email your first name, state in which you reside, a brief description of what occurred and I will respond upon receipt. Please contact: **. This is unfair and not ethical!!!

I recently paid off my Synchrony credit card and want to close the account. I call and they say "we don't close accounts." WHAT? How is that possible? So, my question is has anyone actually been able to close their account and how do you do it? Help!

CareCredit is billing me for $1,500 for dental work never performed. They are charging 27% interest on work never performed. I wrote to them telling them that the work was never performed and to stop billing me. They continued to bill me and add penalties. This has continued for two months despite written responses from me. I fear they will damage my credit. I have no choice but to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission.

I went to Western Dental. I went there to have an exam. After a two hour wait, I saw the dentist. I was presented with a application for credit at 27% interest from CareCredit/Synchrony Bank. I filled out the application but decided something was wrong and never had any work done. My initial visit was paid for by insurance. It appears Western Dental used the application as a scam to get money from CareCredit ($1,500) claiming the work was done. Now I am getting bills from CareCredit for $1,500 as well as late charges for work never performed. Stay away from Western Dental. They will use your information to scam people and hurt your credit.

This is the worst credit card company I have ever dealt with. Every time you pay your balance down they lower your credit limit to match your balance. To other creditors you appear to be maxed out which lowers your overall credit score. We will be paying them off and closing this account and I'm reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission. This company is crooked.

I've had an account with Synchrony Financial through Lowe's, and now through Sleep Number's. And it never fails that I make every payment but still incur late charges because I was a day early with my payment. Their customer service is unable to adjust the payment so that it covers the intended billing period. I hate being penalized for being early with my payment, and they should have the ability to make those adjustments. I'll never do business with them, or any business that uses them, in the future.

Two years ago I let the clerk at Gap talk me into getting a credit card to save 20 percent on a pair of underwear. At first I demurred, because I'm out of the country a lot and was worried about missing a bill... She pointed out that they do all of their billing online, so I don't have to worry... made perfect sense. Then about a year ago, I got an e-mail from a company called "Synchrony Credit" telling me they'd taken over the credit cards for Gap. The e-mail told me to go to Synchrony's site and log in using my Gap credentials.

I assumed it was some sort of phishing expedition and wondered what kind of a moron would give their log-in to a company with a fake-sounding name, especially since Gap hadn't ever mentioned that they were switching. A few months later, I come back to the US and find paper bills. Synchrony used to be the in-house credit-card agency of GE, and now they are issuers for hundreds of retailers, including Gap, and apparently to save themselves money they consolidated all of their customers on their own site. It turns out I had an outstanding $20 balance on my Gap card which I'd forgotten about... and since I wasn't getting notices from Gap, I ignored the phishing expedition.

You see where I'm going: I paid as soon as I realized the charges were legit, but these yahoos lowered my limit, which somehow lowered my credit rating... so now I have a lower credit rating because I wanted to save 20 percent on some new underwear... and getting a straight answer from them is impossible. They also say it's impossible for them to send me a PDF of my statements. It all has to be done by mail. I can pay online, but I can't see what I'm paying for. These incompetent imbeciles now manage credit cards for hundreds of retailers, and they have no regard for the way their errors impact customers. SLEAZEBALLS!

The PayPal account I closed being frustrated with credit card customer support (only one phone number on card) and automatically asks you to prompt a survey and then it hangs up after you complete survey!! I had to call later several times to finally get automated directory be put on wait before getting to speak to a Philippine... which offered no restitution to this fraud. Corrupt Synchrony banksters never provided 1st billing statement via email or by mail. Then the late fee thing with penalty even after it were to be resolved finally was in fact ignored!! Folks like this I honestly could gun down. Not paying no penalty fees on card I fully paid and canceled and their 2% reward cash points they voided!!! Lol... No matter what why government don't shut these thugs down unless they are corrupt as well?

I've been wronged by Synchrony Financial and have notified them and the companies that use this institution of such. I will be bringing lawsuit against them for ruining my name and affecting my credit for no reason. They lowered and even closed several of my excellent standing accounts for no reason. Yes this upset me because I worked hard to build up my credit after a nasty divorce. Something that took years to build back up, they tore down with one click. If you've been wronged by this company for any reason and would like to be named in a lawsuit as a plaintiff, you may contact me via this post.

I am not an attorney and I cannot represent you, but your case can become a lawsuit in conjunction with, if you sincerely feel they have illegally wronged you and your name. This Financial institution is the worst I've seen in my 28 years having a credit history with anyone. They are bullying their cardholders for no reason and should be held accountable for doing this. If they are having problems with their own accounting, good consumers should not pay for their inside issues.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Profile