1.01/5
Based on 163 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 18, 2018

562 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

NEVER use this company, their rep made a miscalculation when going through how much I need to pay monthly to avoid interest and it cost me $469 on an original $1800 dentist bill. They will not budge though it was their rep's fault. Now I am paying interest on the balloon interest charge. WORST COMPANY out there.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Multiple calls and the same outcome. Sit on hold, get transferred to another department who then tells you they are not the correct department and ask you to call back the next day. They are so incompetent you can hear someone else in the background telling them what to say... they can't give you any information and just keep bouncing you around. Horrible, they don't even deserve the 1 start you're forced to give here.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2018

This is the worst bank and I still in surprise why organizations are still encouraging this fraud bank. I don't want to bore you with telling what happened to me as it's similar to the other people. But organizations must quit this bank which uses rules and loopholes to loot people, for the good of the community. Whenever you are taking some store credit cards first ask them which bank is behind it and if it is this fraud bank, then reject otherwise for the promo price you will be paying more than that and you will be stressed. Note: They will not send the card and behind they will pile the late fees and whatnot every ** charge and you will not be helped by anyone.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I was contacted by a collection agent representing Synchrony Bank. We set up monthly payments but Synchrony keeps sending me late notices and interest is being accumulated. They are taking $100 a month from my account and my balance has not gone down. WORST bank to do business with. NEVER EVER AGAIN. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY ARE BLOOD SUCKERS.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I had a Walmart and American Eagle credit card through Synchrony and ALWAYS made payments on time, and never maxed out the accounts. When I had them paid off (both were paid off and closed at different times) and hadn't used the cards in a matter of months they closed both accounts citing negative reports on my credit. However they gave me both accounts with the credit score that I had and if anything my credit score has gotten better so where they get the right to hurt my credit score based on having a card paid off I do not understand. It is a horrible greedy company. No matter what I will never do business through them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: April 11, 2018

Never late, lowered credit, paid in full, then get closed by creditor... on my Credit Karma. What is wrong with this company... I had Amazon which is now closed, and also have Sam's Club which is still open with a zero balance, paid that in full too. I will stick to my Visa Master Discover and AMEX from now on. Seems if one pays their bills on time and in full they make no money? No explanation why... They are a TERRIBLE company. I would have closed them myself but was told to leave open so not to upset Credit Score. Their loss.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have never in my life dealt with a company that treats a loyal and good customer so shabbily! I have had 3 accounts with Synchrony Bank that has never ever been late and has always been paid in full. They first start by lowering your credit limit with no warning! You go to use the card and are so embarrassed that the money you thought you had isn't actually on the card! Wow! Then to add insult to injury they close out the account with no warning. Oh yes you'll get a letter in the mail but that's after it's closed out and once again you went to the store trying use it! Ridiculous and so unfair! I was never late with a payment and the cards were paid off! I just don't understand how or why they would do this to a good customer! I have other cards that have increased my limits due to responsible usage. They are the worst company I've ever dealt with! Don't waste your time! Go with a company that rewards your loyalty! They are ridiculous!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I hope someone reads this before buying the card, but if you’re already in, do yourself a huge favor and hurry up and pay it off. I foolishly got a card in 2017 to help pay for new tires at an Express Oil Change. Mistake number one: They never explained the details behind the card and its interest. I get it and I make no less than the minimum payments every month. I had just started getting closer to paying it all off when I’m hit with a $230 “end of the year” interest fee. A fee that’s related to an interest deal that the card company, nor the oil change place never told me about until it was too late. So now, I’m rushing to get the card paid off so I can be freed from this ridiculousness. I could have came out better getting a personal loan with a credit union or bank or just getting a different company’s credit card. I’ve learned my lesson and hope I can help prevent this from happening to another innocent person.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had 2 credit cards with Synchrony bank JCPenny and American eagle. Mind you I have been a long standing customer with both companies before I got a credit card with them. I got the American Eagle card back in 2012 and in 2016 I got a letter from Synchrony bank saying that they were closing my card due to deficiency on my credit and my credit score which I never asked him to pull. Fast forward to today April 9th 2018 I got a notification from Credit Karma saying one of my accounts closed. So I looked and found out it was JCPenney’s so I called JCPenney‘s. They referred me to Synchrony bank and I called them and they said they sent me a letter.

I said never got it so they ready with the letter. Said they close my account to deficiency in my credit score which I get and I never asked them to pull. I’ve had the JCPenney’s card since 2012. Two I’ve never made a late payment. Always been on time. Sometimes the credit cards go two to three months without even being used and having a zero balance. It’s not going to buy them clothes and my credit card each time my score went down 52 points each time. I will never again shop at JCPenney or American Eagle or any other company the whole Synchrony bank as a bank Holder. They should not be able to pull credit or base leaving your account open or close and it’s based on your credit score. This company is a scam and should be shut down.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Beware of Synchrony Bank. I made every payment in full and went to use it and found it was cancelled. Didn't mess with them for several years later remodeling house. Got talked in to Lowe's card again. They gave me a large credit amount and used it. Well got almost paid off and seen they lowered my credit to just over what the balance was!? Will be paying in full. Will never use any card or service from Synchrony Bank again and will warn everybody I know of the outrageous fees and the way they treat good paying customers. People deserve to know how these companies operate. Will also blast them on Facebook. Enough people know how they operate. Their time is limited...

Original review: April 8, 2018

A number of my store credit card are owned by Synchrony Bank. Just recently I experienced some hard times with my student loans while going through the consolidation process. Which resulted in my credit score dropping because of a late payment. Fast forward to the end March I’m at the store shopping and my Walmart card was declined. I didn’t understand why when the card was paid in full a few months prior. I used cash for the purchase and immediately after leaving the store I called customer care and was told that a letter was sent out (may take 10 days to receive) explaining why they lowered my limit to $100.00. WTH? I was pissed and in anger. I told the person to close my account but I had to stop that process because I knew that was going to make my situation even worse. So I went home and took all my store credit cards to find out that Synchrony Bank either closed all the accounts with zero balance or lowered my limits.

Seriously this is some BS. How is doing this helping anyone? I know my credit score dropped but it wasn’t because of nonpayment on my credit cards. It was because of my student loans. The same loans I had when the cards were given. Now with the closed accounts and lower credit availability my score has dropped another 100 points. So this company has made a bad situation impossible because now my credit is completely shot. I’ve reached out to this company to get a better understanding and the response received was, "You have to wait for 30 days for our investigation to be completed." I’ve customer service a number times that this a bad practice and this should be looked at regulated more closely.

I will never open another account with this bank. I’ll stick to my Capital One and My Bank credit card because there is something seriously unethical about the practices at this bank. Also, the fact that they have monopolized all of the store cards. How is this far to the consumer. List of stores that I know of: Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republica, American Eagle, Walmart, Lowe’s, Toys R Us and the list goes on. This issue affects million of consumers and their policies should be reviewed because the credit impact that it may potentially cause.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have recently moved and needed to change my home address with my PayPal account. When I called Synchrony bank to do so, I answered all their verification questions, social security number, mother's maiden name, address, etc. My phone number was even verified. I explain that I needed to add my suite number to my address and they send me to a call center where I am told I need to send a copy of my government issued state ID and a copy of a utility bill. Let me see, I've had at least 6 credit cards a year compromised and they want me to send them the only two things they don't have of my identity. I told them I answered all verification questions and I am calling from the number on my profile and they refused to ADD my suite number to my already changed address... Why have the other information if it isn't used for the purpose of verifying who I am?

With the information they have already, adding my driver's license and utility bill, they can easily assume my identity. It seems unsafe to ask for such things. No other bank I do business with does this. The whole call center thing is a nuisance as well. All the background noise, you cannot hear or understand a word anyone is saying. So sad that we must outsource so much business to other countries. I would close all of my accounts if it weren't for the fact that Synchrony owns most of them. Love the vendors I do business with but from now on, if their bank is Synchrony, I will not be opening it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have had a Discount Tire Synchrony Bank account for 5 years. I have always paid it on time. I use it for tires and car maintenance. I have never had any issues till just this month. In March 2018 I paid my account 2 days late. Synchrony charged me for the 2 days late a $38 late fee. Almost one additional month payment. I have never heard of a bank charging a late fee for 2 days late. I am going to pay it off and close it. Horrible.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Today I received a letter from Synchrony bank saying they closed our account. Letter states reason for closing was based on length of time accounts have been established, lack of recent loan information. My fiance, and I have the same information on our credit report, when they first approved us two years ago. We paid the loan off early. We paid each month on time. Was thinking about purchasing something in the future, that would cost us to pay them interest. I feel they didn't use a legit reason to close our account. I feel they closed the account because they made no interest. We were under a promotion that you pay off the balance by a certain date, you paid no interest.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Similar to other experiences, Synchrony has closed my Lowe’s account for reasons unrelated to the account that I have with them. They stated they randomly pulled my credit and made the decision to close my account. I didn’t request a limit increase or make any communication that should have triggered them to pull my credit report. I’m sure this is worked into the agreement somehow and it should not be allowed. I don’t have these issues with any of my other credit card companies. Now I have a closed card with a balance which I’m sure will negatively impact my credit. This activity is unfair to consumers and should be more heavily regulated. This system is designed for people to fail. I will never open another Synchrony account and will be paying off and closing the others that I have.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Took out a T.J.Maxx credit card after being hounded Mercilessly each time I shopped there. On my first bill I carried a $5.99 balance for a candy bar. I pay my bills early and on time and of course I paid it in full. My second bill came with a previous balance of $7.99 plus a two dollar charge for late fees! I called and they claimed that I paid my bill late. Could not explain where they came up with a previous balance of 7.99? This is one big scam of a credit card company in my opinion. Beware!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have had the Walmart Credit Card from Synchrony Bank for approximately 18 months. During that time they increased my credit limit to $2200. I have never been late with my payment and have always paid the account off each month bringing the balance to zero. There has been nothing to negatively affect my credit during this time or many years before. My credit score has actually improved slightly and is at the mid 700s. Today my wife had the card declined. I learned that my credit limit had been reduced to $200. I immediately paid the account in full and closed it. Obviously I will never use Synchrony Bank for anything and I will no longer be shopping Walmart. There are just too many choices in the world to put up with this kind of treatment.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had three Synchrony Bank credit cards: JC Penney, Rooms To Go and Ashley Furniture. I never ever paid them late and always paid them before the payment due dates. I had zero interest for 48 months with Rooms To Go (limit $8,000) and Zero interest for 24 months with Ashley Furniture (limit $6000). I was never anywhere close to the limits being they used to increase my limits for years with JC Penney which was $5000. I never even went over $500 spending with JC Penney after being with them for over 10 years because I prefer Macy’s. I paid Rooms To Go off early in 24 months and Ashley Furniture off early in 10 months this year. I always paid JC Penney off at the end of every month and sometimes it went for months without being used and a zero balance for months. FAST FORWARD: They closed all my accounts right after I paid them all off this year right away due to them pulling my credit scores.

They said even though I never had any problems with their credit cards I was now a risk to them. NEXT... My credit score went down by 100 points due to them closing all of my accounts after I paid them all off and never had a late payment on my credit report for them. It shows closed by creditor on my credit report. My credit score only dropped because I was sick for 3 months and got behind on 2 loans. I busted my butt to always pay Synchrony and they screwed me over big time. No worries when my credit score goes back to being over 700 again. I WILL NEVER EVER OPEN ANY ACCOUNTS WITH THIS COMPANY... THEY PUNISH YOU FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING AND I HATE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Very disrespectful customer service. They hung up the phone on me when I paid our account in full, before I could get a confirmation number or something. I only heard is that it then the phone hung up. The rep was a woman and she sounded like she just broke up with her boyfriend or girlfriend and she don't even want to be at this job, she barely wanted to talk or even want to answer back. It's so bad that a big bank like this have such snooty reps working at the front page representing them. That's bad. Trash is trash. I will try to use our Capital One card or Wells Fargo card next time. Their reps are the best. I wish this company could do the undercover boss over the phone, and see how their trashy reps sounds. They need proper training. I know I do that with my company, that's how I make my money. So my reps better be respectful.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have 3 cards from this company. Amazon, Walmart, and Care Credit... I recently paid off Amazon for an 800.00 balance. They reduced my credit to 200. I paid off Walmart 300.00 balance, they reduced my credit to 100.00. The most upsetting for me was they closed my Care Credit account. There was a 1000.00 limit on it. I kept this always paid off, just in case I had a pet emergency. This was the important one to me. I can live without the crap from Walmart. I've always paid my accounts on time and my credit score is 670. This is the same score when these accounts were opened. I'm so glad I googled info about the decrease in credit lines. I see I'm not alone. In my experience, credit companies usually reward you for paying on time and paying balances off... Not decrease or close accounts.

Original review: March 27, 2018

If you have a dispute for something bought using Amazon's Credit card this is the bank full of crooks you will deal with. They have no scruples and can not keep track nor respond in an expeditious manner. But they will get a credit agency to call you 6 times a day. Bottom line reject getting an Amazon card or better yet just reject Amazon, especially their Prime hoax. (Which no longer ships quickly).

Original review: March 27, 2018

Buyer beware, had 2 Lowe's acct with a credit limit of 9300 and 6700. Well I was only using the lower limit to do purchases and would on occasion use the credit with the higher limit just to show activity, but one day I was going to make a 29 dollar purchase and was declined. I was like wth. Well limit was dropped from 9300 to 280. Needless to say I was very pissed. I had to use another card. Once I called cs to find out what the hell was going on they say, "We sent you a letter bla bla bla." I was like, "Can't you tell me what the damn letter states?" He said rudely, "Your credit score went down."

Well the reason it went down 'cause they lowered my limit and affected my rating, just can't imagine how much this bank cheats the consumer. The rep couldn't even give me a straight answer, so anyone who has a card from these dishonest company be aware of what you might get into, here I thought paying accts on time was a bad thing, thank God for other more professionals bank that are more honest. Told them my situation and transferred my balance, oh and they were aware of dishonest practices.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Never deal with this bank for anything! I know. No matter what you've read from the other people, please listen to me. We took a loan out and this bank, on TWO separate occasions, sent the bill to the wrong address. We tried to rectify it multiple times to no avail. They effectively ruined our credit as it went into their collection services: Cavalry Portfolio. Even after they were informed of their mistake, they refused to take it out of collections and now, it will be on our credit report for at least 7 years. Do NOT do business with this company!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Tried to transfer the balance that was going to go from 0% to 26.99% and was denied. I've transferred all sorts of balances in the past and have never been denied. The thing is I had to call to then to get an explanation. They were perfectly fine without notifying me that the payment being denied so they could hit me with the ridiculous interest charge. This is predatory lending.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Credit card for Amazon Account. Absolutely horrible and shady company to do business with! My account was closed and paid off by my bank. They took forever to process the bank check, then charged me late fees and the account should have been closed, but instead they lowered the credit limit to $100 so they then could charge over limit fees. I have turned them into the Better Business Bureau, I have called and talked to some person that barely speaks English. I consolidated my credit cards to save money and get my credit up, and these jerks are doing everything they can to screw it up with these stupid fees. I was already making payments on my loan before they processed the check from my bank!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I've had am Amazon Synchrony Bank store card for approx. 5 years. By their own admission, I have never missed a payment on the account, or anyone else's for that matter, and the card has been active. Inexplicably, my limit was suddenly lowered. I paid the account off in full, and it was immediately closed with no warning or explanation whatsoever. I had no idea it was closed, until a purchase was declined. I have never been treated so appallingly, by any credit organization. Horrible people to do business with. They should be shut down.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This bank is a joke. I made payments on time, they closed my account for what they say is dishonest payments even though it would take them 5-6 days to take it from my account. I loved the Amazon store card. You can never get a human. It's always the stupid computer you get when you call customer service.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I applied for a Lowe's card for my company in 12/16. I was immediately given a $14k credit limit. I made one charge at the time and paid it off when the bill came. Then I tried to use the Lowe's store card for my company. Setting up the online account was an absolute nightmare. The security questions they required me to answer were not about *my* history. It was addresses, phone number, things that were not mine. Of course I could not answer these items correctly and kept getting locked out of the account. When I called Lowe's, I was advised they did not handle this platform directly, it was done by an outside company and they could not help me except to suggest I try again after a few days when the account reset from being locked out.

I was never able to get that to work and the company set up the account for me and sent me a pin or something. Every single freaking time I tried to log in to the account to pay my bill I had issues. Their online platform is a disaster. I limped along for about six months before I canceled the line of credit. I hate that Lowe's uses this company. They give 5% back on purchases made on the card and that adds up. But not being able to pay your bill and continual frustration is just not worth it. I now use Home Depot's credit card for my larger store purchases.

Recently, I bought an in home elliptical and took advantage of their 0% interest by financing it. I'm so disappointed to find out the company also uses Synchrony Bank. When I registered the account online the same crap started up again. Security question prompts when I had not set up any security questions yet. Of course my answers were wrong. WTH? There is no way I am going to interface with this website every month. I set up auto pay from my bank and will pay off the equipment outside of the time limitation. It is such a shame that our retailers have a relationship with this company. They are only hurting themselves.

Original review: March 19, 2018

This bank is nothing but a crook. They take money away from deceased people. If you have Lowe's, Belk, Care Credit, or PayPal smart connect credit cards get rid of them as soon as possible as this bank will charge you outrageous interest. If you owe them any kind of money at all they will not stop until they get their money. They take money away from deceased people. Great company to do business with. Well good luck because you are not getting anything from me. Crooks. Stay away from this company and boycott all places that do business with them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I've had a Lowe's credit card since 2011 and have 100% paid all of my payments on time. Feb 2018 they decided that our financial situation was dire and they no longer trusted us to pay our Lowe's bill so they shut the card off, listing a long line of ** remarks as to why, all of which had nothing to do with my credit activity nor any of the activity associated with my Lowe's account. They left me with no option to dispute or even get a real reason as to why my account was just all of a sudden closed.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information