1.02/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

475 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I used Synchrony Bank with my T.J. Maxx card years ago and it was a terrible experience. When I hit a $20,000 medical procedure done my doctor talked me into using Care Credit with no interest for 12 months. I can tell you I wish I could just use my Chase credit card or talk to my bank about a medical loan. Care Credit is a nightmare. I paid on time and in advance and I finally ran into a huge problem when I had a bogus contract with a chiropractor's office. Care Credit and Synchrony Bank did not represent me at all. I had to dispute because the chiropractor. It told me I could cancel it with a full refund if I was unable to get a doctor's clearance to use his services.

I was unable to use the services and wanted a full refund and his office gave me the run-around and when I filed a dispute with CareCredit they never represented me. His office sent in some partial records and they went along with them leaving me a balance for services not rendered of $590. I was Furious. Synchrony Bank and Care Credit was not in unity and it was a mess. Yesterday I went to the chiropractor's office and saw him directly and he told me his staff had never told him the circumstances and he apologized profusely and wrote me a check for the balance of $590 for the refund. When I called CareCredit to let them know I had resolved the issue myself in my favor their representative was rude and uninterested other than curtailing the call as quickly as possible. I only wish the promise survey had come on after I completed my call with her but instead I got to dial tone when she hung up on me.

In 20 years I never had a problem with Capital One or my Chase credit card when I've had the rare dispute. I have clipped my CareCredit card in half and we'll pay it off at the end of the month and be done with it. Be careful of the free months of interest-free used with Care Credit because when that. Is over your interest rate will be anywhere from 24% to 36% and that is no deal my friend. Use your credit card, get a medical loan and if you can't do that don't get the procedure. Run from Care Credit Synchrony Bank

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Okay so I'm one of those people that don't always read all of the terms when applying for a credit card because obviously I'm applying for it because I need it at the time. I also have revolving credit I will pay down my balance and reuse it when need be. Well since mostly all of my credit card account switched over to Synchrony Bank I have had nothing but issues with this company. They keep lowering my credit limit for no reason as well as my husband. I called about one account asking why it was lowered because I needed it for medical reasons and they really couldn't give me an answer. So I close the one card that I had paid everything off on. It's a start right. I have been paying the balances down on both mine and my husband's card so that we could have something available for Christmas this year. I went to check my credit score and his and noticed my credit limit and balances were the same.

So they decreased our credit limit again to the balance, one had $7 over. WTH. I just don't understand how they can do this especially since both of our credit scores had improved by at least 10/20 points since applying for these cards in the first place. Anyhow now my credit score has dropped because my debt to ratio has increased. So them saying that it's not impacting my credit score is a lie because it does every time they report a change and lower my credit score. I feel this company is manipulating laws to work in their favor by the wording of their contract. I will from now on read the contracts before applying for any credit cards and once my balances are paid on my synchrony accounts I will be closing my accounts with them. I really hope Karma bites them in the butt and they get caught and sued for all of the crap the stress they have caused people. AVOID THIS COMPANY if able to. If not, pay it off as quick as possible and close it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have had this card for over a year and NEVER been late and always paid way above the minimum amount due... I have requested an increase from $800 to about $1,200 for about three or four times. I always get turned down... Not sure what it takes to get an increase when you are an excellent customer... Truly pathetic. I will just start saving the money I pay on the card each month and not have to pay their ridiculous interest rates. Not worth it!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Got this crappy credit card when I got a bed through Mattress Firm. Went to make a payment today to find they want my bank account info. Which I don't have readily available. I haven't had a checkbook in years. Seriously after reading reviews I'm paying this off as fast as possible. Besides needing to get with the times and allow people to use their debit card which is also known as a check card and is directly linked to my checking account without charging me an absolutely ridiculous $10 fee. And then they in general clearly need to be a better bank and companies need to quit dealing with them. Had I known this is how they were and that this was how I was getting zero interest from Mattress Firm I probably would not have gotten a bed through them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had a credit limit of $ 3,900.00. I made a payment of $ 3,223.00. That left a balance of $ 636.31. Now when you look at my statement it states the available amount to spend is $40. When I called I was told it takes 12 days for the money to clear. It has cleared my banks, so that means they are sitting on it collecting interest for 12 day, and preventing me from making a purchase. This company is predatory. I was told it had to do with Anti-money laundering laws. Well after reading up on these laws it was clear that the company set their own time limits not the law or government. So they intentionally hold the money to collect the interest. I was told it was in the terms. AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I made a full payment to my Synchrony Bank/Amazon store card on 10/4 in the amount of 241.72 which was my total balance. I have never had any issues with Amazon payments before when full payments on my larger balances have never been held for more than 3 days. Today is 10/12 and they are telling me it won't post until after midnight. When I called today I received very little help and basically told because I was late in the last six months on a payment (by 2 days). The first rep just told me it was going to release tonight and I requested a supervisor which I got an "account manager."

She kept talking over me while I was trying to talk. RUDEST thing ever to talk over someone!! She did say it didn't give them a reason why it was flagged to hold payment, but she could think of a few since I was late on some payments, but when I went online I was late 1x. I asked for a higher person which got on the line and said there is no way to talk to the security department to try and lift the hold so I could use the card which I have been a cardholder for a long time. Basically the "Sr. Acct manager" said that there is no one above her and that I would have to write in regarding my experience. What a terrible company to work with poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I applied for the Banana Republic Visa card and one week later I receive a Banana Republic store card. I called them to inform them that this is not the product that I applied for, and the answer I received was that based on my credit score, I did not qualify for the Visa, so they decided to issue me a store card instead. My credit score is in the 720 range and I have never once been denied any credit card at all. So that really pissed me off. I told her that this is not right. They should have denied my application instead of issue me a product that I did not agree to have! Synchrony is a crappy bank. I should have looked at the reviews before applying. I learned from this mistake.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My "minimum" monthly payment just keeps on going up - they say it's to pay off my promotional purchases, but that's BS, because I paid off two of them and my minimum is still as much as a car payment. I called today, was transferred to an outsourced office and all that rep could say is "we need a valid reason to lower your minimum monthly payment". I'm broke. I have more going out in bills than I have coming in. I'm sorry I lost my job and had to take one that's a $15K/year pay cut. Yes, it's gotta be much harder on Synchrony Bank than on me that I'm no longer earning what I earned.

If I can't make my minimum, they will assess a late fee. Which is great, because I was looking for another bill to have to pay. Super. And at the end of the web chat, the rep had the audacity to ask me if he could help me with anything else. YOU DIDN'T HELP ME AT ALL. They act like I'm using this card to go out and buy shoes, and be a globetrotter. No, I'm using it for non-cosmetic dental work. Most recent charge? Emergency root canal.

I understand that they are a business and have to make their money, but I'm at a point where it's either bills or food. And it's a choice I have to make every month. Are we eating dinners, or are we just having some toast? Am I paying this bill, or am I paying my car payment? Absolutely zero compassion. I've had the card for two years - I have never missed a payment, and often times pay early. They don't give a ** about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I was hacked in a healthcare data breach. I had an unauthorized credit request on 08/29/2017 for AMAZON credit card. I spoke and wrote many letters requesting to get the illegal credit inquiry removed. I was declined in a letter dated 10/2/2017 and verbally on the phone on 10/06/2017, Alerts on my credit reports and involved in a class action lawsuit against the healthcare facility did not matter. I have filed complaints with the BBB and Federal Reserve Consumer Help for Synchrony Bank's illegal activities.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Payments larger than your normal $30 payments do not free up available credit for 6 days. Synchrony has your money in their account drawing interest. Meanwhile you have No available credit.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I got this CareCredit card for my daughter's braces. It was interest free; my payments have been $143 per month, due on the 1st. Because our mortgage is the biggest payment, we try to have everything else on cycled on the 15th. I am active duty military and I am gone for training a lot; so I set all of my bills up to be paid automatically from USAA to my billers. Because I pay ahead, I am being penalized and charged late fees. When I called, I was told that I am being penalized for paying too early. WHAT!? I pay my bills not just on time, but early, and I am being penalized for it!

Here is my last 180 days of payments pulled from my account: May 1st, 2017: $143. June 1st, 2017: $143. June 15th, 2017: $143 (extra payment to get ahead and cycle my billing for the 15th). July 12th, 2017: $667 (paid down to buy a new home). August 15th, 2017: $143 (back to normal cycle of paying on the 15th). September 15th, 2017: $143.

As you can see, not only have I made my payments on time, I am ahead. In fact, I am paying them two weeks early! And now I am being penalized for paying them before my bill is due. This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. This company needs to be put in check. I will pay off my card and I will never conduct business with this company ever again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

July 28th 2017. San Diego CA. Made a purchase at Discount Tire. They were offering 6 month no interest same as cash. Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit). But that's not what it is. All lies. Using Discount Tire employees to peddle their fraud. I have no beef with Discount Tire. They have always been a great business in my experience. Purchased 4 new tires. Government needs to reel in these crooks. They want minimum monthly payments. Didn't know. My fault. Thought I had six months to pay off. Because that's what they were offering. Charged me $27 late fee. So it isn't 6 months same as cash. Straight up credit card. Once it's paid off. Will never ever use their credit again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I got a credit card through Discount Tire/Synchrony Car Care. At the time my parents pushed me to get new tires since it was dangerous for me to be driving. I was approved for 500 and then had to pay $100 for the remaining fee. Of course my parents paid for the remaining fee since I didn't have a job. I thought I got 500 for free. This whole time I didn't know I had to pay the 500 until I got a threatening letter. I called the number on the letter assuming it was discount tire. They told me my account is in collections. I still don't have the money to pay for it so I left it alone. I told them my circumstances. They never once told me they were charging interest or late fees. I thought collections meant it would be on my credit report and the balance wouldn't go up.

I called today and they were unhelpful. So now my account is up to $803 instead of the 500. I told them I'm not paying the 300 since I was not informed. They then told me if I pay the 300 then it will remove my account from collections and it will be back with Synchrony Bank. I have never heard of that before! This is all so confusing to me and not fair. I don't want to be charged interest if my account is in collections.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have paid my TJX acct on time for about 2 years and all of a sudden they decide to review my credit score and close my account!!! No regard for making the payments on time- so I ask you, what is the point? Why pay any of my credit cards on time if at any moment they will just decide to close my account?! I called today and spoke to a rep named Rachel who was of no help whatsoever so I just hung up on her, then I called back and spoke to a rep named Robin who was nicer but of no help as well, she kept saying I could apply again?! Now how is that possible I ask you?

Why would a company want to give you a new card if they had closed out your account? Then she says "thank you for being a loyal customer" as she transfers me to some account manager named Moe?! Loyal customer? I'm not even a customer anymore- remember? You closed my account!!! Moe was of no help either- I'm beginning to even wonder if was even an acct manager. He gave me the same advice- call the credit agency or I could call for a new credit card- seriously?! Well I told him no worries- I'm just going to submit a complaint to Synchrony Bank and here it is! I will never open a credit card again knowing they use Synchrony Bank!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Stores and other places offer cards to people. I get offers to my Post Office and many emails. I am a housewife but I get some income from the gas etc. you like to stick in your cars. I have not much and I was not guilty. I am angry that a man with bad credit gets more than a woman with not much. I was basically your trustee. I hate false advertising, you do what you say. I complained because the phone couldn't be reached and no emails could be sent.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have been victim of identity theft recently like millions of American, but unfortunately the thief steal my Synchrony/Walmart CC and since then my life become miserable. I have been impacted in almost everything starting my credit score to utilities company and bank accounts. Everything. This bank is almost not exist. They said they are member of FDIC but they seems follow different rules. Lousy customer service, never understand, never helpful, never honest. I have been in this problem close to three month now and things keep dragging no more.

I do not understand how the federal allow such a ghost bank like that to play in USA market and consumers. They do not even have physical location and their email go one way only. If you try to send back or reply it did not go through and over the phone they are all liar and illiterate. I am thinking seriously to go to court because I lost hope of solving this problem through these guys. And please do yourself a favor. Never bank with these guys. They are losers and will sooner or later try to take a shot on you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I made on time payments and paid a portion of my balance early. Synchrony reduced my credit limit down to the balance I still owed. I called them and they blamed my credit score (but it was the same when they gave me the card). I paid off the remaining balance two months later and then they closed my account. I thought I was building up my credit with this card but their actions negatively impacted my score. They do not like for the balances to be paid off.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

They will lower credit limit for no other reason than your credit score changing. Had account for years and used it regularly. Never late, over limit, nor returned payment, and always paid on-time. Received letter they lowered my credit limit because my score dropped 10 points. It was lower when I got the card than it is now... I closed all accounts associated with Synchrony. I suggest you stay away from Synchrony and any of its affiliates.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My husband and I got a credit card through Sam's Club, and the credit card company is Synchrony. They are terrible and not worth getting at all. The Credit Card, Synchrony bank payment is the worse. They charge me late fees when I pay early. They charge me late fees when I pay out of my billing cycle. I have paid more than my amount of payment, and they still charge me for that. They charge a high-interest rate than what I am supposed to be charged. They are always calling me for payment when I make my payments on time. They are nasty over the phone and don't help you at all to understand why my payments are not making the balance go down. I have been paying on this card since I received it and my payment is still the same.

I never had a credit card like this, and someone has to do something about this credit company. It is the worse. They also lowered my amount without me providing them any permission. They reran my credit and reduced the amount of my credit use, and nobody can explain to me where my payments are going and why my card is not lowered. I do not want to use this card or this company ever. I resolve to have it be paid in full. I need my credit card to be reviewed and paid in full because I have made higher payments and nobody can tell me where the money went. I don't want this card. I would like it to be closed in good standing and no more charges.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I went through a financial hardship several months ago and had to skip 2 of my Amazon card payments (which is through Synchrony Bank), but as soon as I got back on my feet I made the regular payments and then recently a large $500 payment. We use the card regularly so I made another $350 payment to bring the balance down to only a couple hundred dollars this month. How do they reward you? By holding your payment hostage for over a week to "verify it isn't fraud" (even though it was made with the same account we ALWAYS pay it with, and they didn't do it when I made the $500 payment last month???), and lowering your credit limit MONTHS after the last delinquency. They didn't lower it after the $500 payment last month though (which brought the balance down to only $200). No, they waited until I made the $350 payment this month to do it.

I had to spend almost 30 minutes on the phone with their customer service (which is outsourced to Asia) just to get even a semblance of a straight answer out them. We use the card all the time, and now they won't be getting a penny from me in interest ever again. I'll leave it open so it won't hurt my credit, but I'll probably never use it again for more than an obligatory $10 purchase every couple months to keep it alive (which will promptly be paid off to avoid them earning any interest). My boyfriend also has a card with them with a much larger limit and he will no longer be using it either. I know a few hundred dollars doesn't really hurt their bottom line, but it's the principle.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Synchrony Bank is poor reflection on Sleep Number and I advise that they find someone else to partner with for financing beds. Synchrony Bank has a cumbersome and unintuitive user interface that creates confusion on simple tasks such as setting up autopay. Cumbersome customer service unable to fix issues in a timely manner. I highly regret using this bank in conjunction with the purchase of my Sleep Number bed. Hard credit hit for subpar service. Will not use them again and frustrated that Sleep Number chose a bank that does not live up to the standards Sleep Number strives for.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

On 4/26/2009 I cosigned a CareCredit account for my son so that he could get some dental work done. The credit line was set at $3000.00. On 8/28/2017 my son passed away unexpectedly at age 34. On 9/18/2017 I contacted Synchrony Financial to find out the balance of the CareCredit account and take care of the account. I discovered that the credit line had been increased to $6400.00 at some point and I had not been notified. They state that they sometimes increase credit lines without notification. There is no way that my son's credit rating would have qualified the increase, he was struggling financially.

They must have done the increase based on my credit rating and did not contact me as the cosigner. I am more than willing to pay the $3000.00 that I cosigned for, however they are telling me that I must pay the entire amount owed which is $6,222.91. They said that the account does not qualify for any assistance. I was only able to get to a second level in management and was told that no one higher on the chain is available by phone. This is a terrible company that takes advantage of people in need of medical care and charges 26.99% interest on the accounts.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had an Old Navy store card that got automatically upgraded to a Visa card, and they closed my store card account. Apparently, some charges were pending or they just transferred a balance to the closed card, and now I can't make payments on that closed account at all. They send me NOTICE OF RIGHT TO CURE DEFAULT letters in snail mail and email, and even when I make a payment with a customer service rep over the phone, the payment gets posted to my Visa account within 48 hours. So I have a credit on my Visa account while my closed account still has an overdue warning. I've made an official CFPB complaint but haven't heard anything yet. What's worse is that their site can only be accessed with Internet Explorer, and when I click Chat with a Representative it logs me out. Seriously incompetent across the board. I will NEVER ever in a million years do business with Synchrony again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

So of course I was prequalified to receive a Walmart and BP credit which are ran by the same bank. BP mysteriously sent a letter decreasing my 500 limit 6 months after only having for 6 months. What's funny about this is that I had paid the crap off and then utilized 180 of it on a road trip. And upon my return I saw the credit line decreased to the actual current balance used which was a slap in my face. I didn't think too much into it because it was a low credit card and just got it canceled. Their reasoning was that my credit was bad with too many accounts and blah blah blah! Now I had thought about paying my Walmart off but thought maybe they will pull the same crap as BP and what would you know, after paying it off and spending about 180 my limit decreased to 200 with the same tired reasons that BP offered. But now I'm calling BS!

Walmart actually gave me a credit line increase last Christmas which I thought was sneaky of them and actually at a time where my credit utilization was maxed. So now for some reason you cut my credit limit by over a thousand dollars when my credit score has much improved from that 500 score you prequalified me off of! And then you do it at a time when Equifax has a security breach!!! This is very fishy. And to top it all off while they were decreasing my limits, every last credit I have increased my credit limit and they have never decreased it so what's really good? And I paid all my bills on time, NEVER A LATE PAYMENT! So are you mad because I never maxed out my cards and have you drown me in interest rates for years?

Beware of this card because no one has time to wonder when they will decrease your credit limit because there is no given time frame for when they'll decide to start messing with your credit!!! Needless to say I better pay this 180 before my next billing cycle so they won't think I've maxed out my limit which it will technically look like! A closed account continues to measure credit utilization too which sucks sort of!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have had endless issues trying to access my accounts as Synchrony bank consistently tries to prove my identity by sending a text or call to a phone number that has not been associated with my person for over 7 and a half years. First, when I was initially trying to register to access my account and each subsequent attempt after. I will be closing my account because what is the purpose of a savings account if you cannot access the account?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

1st of all, I was not aware that Synchrony was the bank associated with all of my bigger credit cards. In fact, I had them for a very long time before I realized it. I always paid my bills on time, but stupid me, got them to a ridiculous amount to the point I could not pay them anymore. So, I decided to close them, and did a balance transfer with another company (Discover) and with a much lower interest amount. Most people who are just like me, never look to see what bank the card is affiliated with!!! Synchrony has the worse interest rate, no matter how good your credit might be. I finally feel free and less stressed with Discover taking care of getting me back on track, and helping me keep my fair rating to good and very good, hopefully soon. DO NOT USE SYNCHRONY BANK!! Yes I am yelling, as I want all to hear!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I have never had much luck with any of their customer service agents in resolving issues. Agents are incompetent. The latest was a purchase through a Kraft Music who offered Mysynchrony interest free financing. Kraft Music walks me through Mysynchrony 12 month "interest free" financing. set up auto-pay minimum payment and Mysynchrony will automatically calculate the monthly payments to avoid interest. This was the Yamaha financing which should have been the same as HOME DESIGN - CE / APPL / SYNCB offered by Sweetwater Sound which does accurately calculate out interest free payments. But it does not. The 12 month became an 18 month and the minimum payments were $36 short of the required monthly payment to avoid interest charges. I contacted their customer service and had to sit through a lengthy automated review of my account which I already was aware of.

The automated operator continued without any direct access to customer service. After several minutes after yelling "customer service" the system finally responded. I was told that there would be a customer survey at the end that the representative would not be aware of. I was finally connected with a customer service woman that I could barely understand due to her mumbling and a baby crying in the background. She was obviously working from home. I told her the information and she had problems understanding the issue. She refused to acknowledge that the minimum payments were not accurately calculated and that the loan term was incorrect.

I manually adjusted the payments and she was supposed to hang up after the call so that I could take the survey. She apparently knew about the survey and intentionally kept the line open until the system automatically hung up - so I could not even give my negative input. Summary: the bank has set the system up to trick customers into interest payments.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

When my wife applied for a credit account via Synchrony Financial, who for some reason changed their previous name from "GE Care Credit", they asked me for my information as well to verify since she is not a U.S. citizen. Synchrony Financial ILLEGALLY SWITCHED the account information to my name when I wasn't the original applicant.

For weeks I have been trying to contact them to advise them of the UNLAWFUL change of contract without either of our consent. Their "customer service" is located in India, who has no clue about Contract Law in the United States and they refuse to remove the ILLEGALLY ALTERED contract from my name. This is a red flag WARNING to NOT TRUST the India-based company, who like all other scams in India, steal your money, your identity, and say, "There is nothing we can do", which is the only thing India-based customer service companies ever tell customers. DO NOT USE OR SUPPORT this scam-bank from India.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

These companies had elected a terrible bank and we are treated horrible. Shame on this big and popular corporations!!! The debt might be 200$ but the add so many fees that the balance on each card totals over 1000$. So I am not going to pay them a cent and I would fight it in court!!! I feel for all the people that they are scam in SHAME on these companies.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I had a credit card through Synchrony Bank for Banana Republic and Belk and had these cards for many years. In January 2016 my accounts were delinquent by just a few days. However, as soon as I realized I had not paid these bills, I made the payments and my accounts were both current. In November 2016, I paid off both of these cards in full. Since November of 2016 I have not received any further correspondence from Synchrony Bank until August of 2017 when I received 2 letters stating these accounts had been closed due to "severe delinquency" and this information was reported to the credit bureaus which negatively affected my credit score.

I verified with my financial institution that these payments, in fact, cleared my account and payments were made to the appropriate accounts. I then attempted to contact Synchrony Bank for explanation but was told "it is what it is" and they hung up on me. I then contacted the credit bureaus and was told the same thing. I filed a complaint against Synchrony Bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to which Synchrony Bank responded that this was "proper and accurate reporting".

It had been 18 months since the initial delinquency, which was immediately corrected and nearly 10 months after my accounts were both paid in full. My advice to all consumers thinking about applying for any credit card handled by Synchrony Bank is... DON'T! If you have credit cards through Synchrony Bank now, my advice is to pay them off in full as soon as possible and close them immediately so that you don't become another victim of their atrocious business and credit reporting practices. I would love to see an attorney who actually cares about consumer credit affairs to start a class action lawsuit against Synchrony Bank and possibly shut them down for good.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information