Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Synchrony Bank took over PayPal's buyer credit. This credit was nice since it gave you added protection on eBay and other sites. Now that Synchrony has that side of PayPal, you can never pay your bill online, even though there is a link back to Synchrony bank. So you end up having to track a phone number to this bank. You call the bank and they want an account number, which none of us ever had as it was through our Paypal account. If you can finally get to the right place to pay your bill, you have to fight for them not to charge you $15 for paying by phone even though their online interface has been down for 3 months now. I forgot to mention you don't get a paper statement as this was all handled online by PayPal for years.

My hearing is not good so this really upsets me. Add to that the fact they won't send a statement and when you try to view your statement through PayPal, the link crashes. I am enclosing a picture of what happens when you try to pay/view your statement online. How can a bank take us back to the EARLY 1990s for bill paying. Is it even legal not to be able to get a statement??

I have several credit cards that are managed by Synchrony Bank. Over the last year, they keep lowering my credit limit claiming that I have derogatory items on my credit and high credit limits. I've paid over $6 off combined on all my credit cards to lower the balances but they continue to lower my credit limits. This scenario ensures that I will indeed have maxed out credit limits. I plan to pay off every single card related to this bank. Not one other credit card company operates like this one. It's a disgrace and ruins the credit of those who pay on time. Companies like Amazon, QVC, TJMaxx, GAP, CareCredit and American Eagle use this bank. Stay clear and use your own money to make purchases.

I received a letter in the mail that they lowered my credit limit. I paid my payments on time, never late and I never maxed my card out. They said my credit score dropped down to a 603. I know it is a heck of a lot more than that. I can walk into the car lot that I shop with all the time and buy a car and know when I go in there that I will walk out owning a new car. I keep an eye on my credit because it takes too long to rebuild credit.

I'm wanting to know why they pulled my credit again without me asking for a credit increase. Isn't that illegal to pull someone's credit without their permission? So tell me where the ** do they get off running my credit again. I think the consumer affairs need to look into how this company conduct business. I have decided to pay off all of the credit cards that I have with this company and close them all down and never open up another account with them. I will no longer shop with any of the business that use this financial company for their department store credit cards. At least Capital One increases your credit every six months if you pay your payments on time.

A company kept charging my account. They use a "third party call center." I could not reach a person to stop charging the account. Synchrony rep said, "you gave them your number, it's not fraud." However I DID NOT authorized them to continue charging. Synchrony did not care. After speaking with the second supervisor, he hung up on me.

Up until recently I would have given 5 stars... CareCredit just opened a new account in my name, without my permission. When I called to inquire about this I was told that CareCredit was offering a new MasterCard promotion, and my account was selected to receive it. Ok - great, but no thank you. I asked if we could prevent this from happening again, and was told no.

Literally, "No. There's no way to guarantee new accounts won't be opened for you as new promotions become available." What in the actual **? How is this ok? I have to monitor my Synchrony account to make sure that additional credit cards aren't opened in my name? Now I'm not sure if it's scarier to close my account or if I should keep my account open so I can monitor it...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

I made a purchase from HHGregg on their in-house credit card backed by Synchrony Bank. In order to pay off the balance before the interest was applied, I immediately started making payments 3 to 4 times the amount of the minimum balance. The VERY first month, I paid the first payment 2 weeks after the first purchase, in order to get ahead of the game. The first statement I got from the bank had a late fee on it. Their reasoning is that I paid before the statement was created. This went on for 4 months (my own fault, as I didn't notice the fee at first - why would I have a fee... I paid early) before I noticed it.

I called the bank only to have them tell me that they did not accept EARLY payments. After an hour of arguing with two different people I was able to get 3 out of the 4 late fees back. The fact of the matter is that they STOLE this money from me. I paid them MORE MONEY than was asked, PRIOR to the due date, and I was STILL charged LATE FEES. That is called stealing. DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE THIEVES!

Synchrony Bank opened 7 (SEVEN) fraudulent credit cards under my name within a week. They never verified any of the information and they reported a fake address to all three majors credit reporting agencies. By some stroke of dumb luck, three of the fraudulent cards arrived at my home, not the person committing the fraud. After calling Synchrony to cancel the cards & report the fraud, they told me that there were additional credit card applications submitted to them in my name, pending approval.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? Where is their fraud department??? Obviously, no one needs seven separate credit cards, specifically, for BP gas, Marvel Comics, EBates, and Banana Republic, etc. I checked my credit reports and placed fraud alerts on my file. Now I must monitor everything because of Synchrony Bank's negligence. They should be fined and sanctioned by all governing agencies in order to prevent this from happening to anyone, ever.

I opened the account and had a pleasant phone conversation with an account representative! She explained how the account would work but never mentioned deferred interest! I would happily pay triple the minimum every month, steadily paying down the balance. Then I received a nearly $1000 charge added for interest!!!

I woke up to check my account with Chase and noticed a fraud charge for 451.29 from Synchrony bank Alpharetta, Ga with a 800 number. I got a hold of a lady first name KarI, she said she didn't know what it was for. Well I called the 800 number it was the collections dept for Synchrony Bank and Alpharetta, Ga was their payment center. I don't like liars and Synchrony Bank lying to protect one of their customers makes mad. Ms ** you lying deeply upsets me. To protect one of your scumbag customers. God will see to it you get this right. Lying gets you nowhere. As for the corp of the bank you are so full of yourself, righteous selfs.

Synchrony has the same predatory practices and poor customer service that gave GE Credit a bad reputation. If you are issued a card from a department store or other business RUN don't walk to another store. DO NOT use Synchrony When I argued with them about not providing statements, they canceled my card causing me to forfeit my over $200 in rewards.

This has to be the one of the worst credit institutions in the market. I had a Marshalls/TJ Maxx card issued by Synchrony. I've had this account for over 5 years, have paid it off several times over and I'm never late or miss a payment - until I set up auto pay on their site. Their auto pay only withdraws on the bills due date and doesn't factor in if you've paid the bill manually before the due date.

I had 2 auto pay transactions that didn't go through because of insufficient funds. My checking account had fraud activity on it, and to prevent my account being wiped out, I transferred my cash to my savings account and forgot that a payment was coming through from Synchrony. As soon as I saw that the payment was missed, I sent them $500 the very next day. On the second occasion, I thought I had paid the bill in full, but there was a finance charge left on the account that was processed through auto pay - about $26. For some reason it was returned. The very next day, I sent them the missed payment plus the late fee. These are the only 2 times since I've opened this account that I had a minor payment issue that was rectified immediately. What does Synchrony do, they close my account!

When I called after trying to use my card and being denied, I was told that if I make a payment, they can turn the account back on, which is not true. They apparently don't have to notify you that you're in danger of having your account turned off and they cut it off if there's 2 returned payments no matter the circumstances, not matter your credit history with the company. In a span of 5 years, I've had 2 returned payments that were handled immediately - in addition to the fact that I pay the account twice a month, once through auto pay, once manually, and they STILL closed the account. I'm not sure how much of an impact this will have on my score since I'm in the very high 700's and the account was only a 2K max, but be warned! Synchrony DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. I will never open an account managed by them again.

I received a letter dated October 4th, 2016 stating my Old Navy account was closed due to a review in August because of derogatory and delinquent accounts on my credit score (300 low and 850 high). I have 552 and my card was opened with a score a little bit higher than this like 570 or less and my balance is paid in full and no late payments. This is not good consumer practices. They don't value their customs. I just opened this card the end of April and my account is already shut down and closed??? What right as a customer do I have???

Tried calling Customer Service. It's impossible to get a real live person and it doesn't understand anything you are saying. When you finally do get a real person they say they can't hear you and you have to call back. I lost my credit card 3 weeks ago. Called and reported on the "automatic answering." They said they would cancel it and send me a new one. Can't even get in touch with them to find out if they did cancel it. I don't care if I get a new card. Just want to make sure the old one is canceled.

I have had the Old Navy card since 2007. Never have I had to request an increase, GE increased me automatically. I topped out at $2700 until I recently received a decrease letter after complaining to the rep after I have several months paying my bill online as I have always done. I would end up paying on the phone and late. I recently received a request to upgrade my card to a Visa, but I'm not interested. Especially since my limit was reduced to $1340, which is so close to my $1250 balance. No real reason, just that my other balances are high, which is not the case. This reminds me of the practices of PROVIDIAN. They continued lowering limits to mirror balances, which would incur late fees and over the credit limit fees due to interest attached. I will be paying this card off and closing. Hopefully they have a class action suit because they are running a shady business.

I'm not sure why but Synchrony bank has cut everyone of my credit limits and actually closed a few of my long lasting (never late) accounts. Every time they close one they send me a letter using the excuse that my credit limits are maxed out. The only cards that are maxed out are their cards due to them constantly cutting the limit. For example I have a TJX Rewards cards started with a $2000 limit. The balance owed was about $1800 right after Christmas, so I paid $500 on it and they cut the limit down to $1379.

A few months later I had it paid down to under $1000 because I do not like max out cards, so they cut it to $1000. This specific card had a point system so it was good to use for the rewards during the holidays. What I don't understand is why they keep doing this, I actually had 7 cards thru them and they have done this to every single card for no justifiable reason. I have not made late payments. I always pay more than the minimum due and some of my other cards thru other creditors are actually increasing my limits.

This is starting to get on my nerves because they keep "inquiring on my credit," "keep lowering my limits" and then use these two reason as the excuse to lower the limit. I'm to the point that I want them all closed but I have been advised that that would be bad for my credit rating. I will NEVER open another card thru SYNCHRONY and I would advise everyone to avoid them at all costs. I have never had an issue with any other credit card issuer. The only reason I have 7 Synchrony cards is different stores use Synchrony but you receive discounts if you use their store cards, such as Dick's, Walmart, JCPenney etc... I'll just start shopping elsewhere...

On 9/9/16 I made a payment of $749.49 to clear most of my account out. There was a late fee and a deferred interest amount for a payment that did not clear. ON 9/18/16 I called Synchrony and spoke to Bill, an Asian person with a heavy accent (Apparently, Synchrony sends our jobs overseas). "Bill" reversed the late fee and the deferred interest as well. That left a zero balance on the account. That same day we made a purchase for $39.99, 9/18/16. On 9/25/16 I checked the account online. There was a balance of $53.09. The $39.99 plus an interest charge of $13.10!!!

I called Synchrony and spoke with the Asian lady named "Stacy". (Sure.) I was livid and demanded an explanation. She looked into the account and started explaining some garbage about interest accruing on whatever balance. I cut her off and yelled at her to remove the interest charge. After putting me on hold, she did so. Synchrony has taken over everything. They are unhanded. Report these clowns to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau!

I am preparing for my furry little feline to have surgery and have been advised by the veterinary practice that they work with CareCredit and offer a 6-month finance-free option. Great! I went ahead and applied for and got approved by Synchrony Bank within seconds. Then, I decided to check out Consumer Affairs and now I'm downright terrified... I did proceed to call CareCredit for some additional insight.

There is no activation fee once I start using the card. Good, thank you. The procedure's estimate is over $200, but the pre-op work is less than that. So, if I charge less than $200 (as part of the whole procedure), it is subject to 26.99% interest. I can certainly pay the rest of the +$200 charge off within the promotional period but am extremely hesitant to utilize this card at all.

Glad I found this out in advance and can pay for pre-op separately should I decide to actually use the card. Please be an educated consumer and I sincerely thank the prior reviewers for bringing light to Synchrony Bank's questionable practices. I also sought some insight from the Better Business Bureau; seems as if there is a whole host of complaints. Some are resolved, mind you, but way too many complaints for my comfort.

I had very expensive work done at Aspen Dental and financed through Synchrony Bank. I got an agreement to pay 85 dollars a month for like 3 years and I have been very loyal to pay every month but a few times because I am on disability and the check comes on the 3rd my payment was a couple of days late. Suddenly now they are treating me like America's most wanted. They call every day. They charged me like $112.00 in late fees and raised my monthly payment to $147.00. I am epileptic and ill but they have no understanding of that. I was late with 3 payments by 2 or 3 days. I paid every month. They are trying to Shylock me. This bank operates really shady. Be careful to get involved with them.

The interest rates have exceeded the minimum amount due for the last 6 months, even though I have not charged anything on my JCPenney's card for the last year. It has actually increased the balance that I own due the the 26.99 interest rate that I did not agree to originally. I have paid over the minimum amount due and yet my balance due keeps increasing. This is stealing money from me. There needs to be either a class action lawsuit again Synchrony bank or there needs to be consumers that join together and refuse to pay any money, thereby making them listen to us.

Overview of complaint: If you have multiple promotional purchases on your credit card, and one of the promotional offers expires, Synchrony does NOT apply your monthly payment to the portion of your balance that is getting charged interest. Instead, they apply it towards your remaining promotional purchase balance.

Details: With my City Furniture credit card, on 4 separate dates I made 4 purchases. Each purchase had a promotional period, meaning if you pay off that balance within a period of time, there is no interest. Since these purchases were made at different times of the year, each one had its own "expiration date" for the promotion. That part is fair and easy to understand.

To clarify, when you make a promotional purchase, you get 0% interest for that time period but in exchange, a minimum monthly payment is required. This is also fair. Let's say, for example, the *total* minimum monthly payment of these 4 purchases is $195. Over the course of a year (for example), let's say one of these 4 promotional offers EXPIRES. In other words, now the remaining balance on that purchase (and that purchase only) is subject to interest. This is fair.

Here's what is NOT fair: They do NOT tell you that the promo period has expired. (That doesn't bother me so much, since every statement includes the expiration date for each separate promo purchases). But what DOES bother me, is that THEY DO NOT ASK YOU FOR ANY MINIMUM MONTHLY PAYMENT toward the balance that is subject to interest. So what does this mean? I continued making my monthly payments, only to realize one day that 100% of my monthly payment were going towards the no-interest promo purchases and NONE of my payment was going towards the balance that is subject to interest. So EVERY MONTH for the past 8 months, while the promotional balances were steadily going down, the amount subject to interest was going UP due to the fact that NONE of my monthly payments were going towards that part of the balance, and they continued tacking on interest every month!!

This is deceptive, unethical and should probably be illegal. Essentially, it's a credit card that lets you make purchases, charges you interest on the balance and never asks you for a monthly payment. So every month your balance goes UP instead of down. When I called to inquire about this, I got their off-shore call center. They are unsympathetic, unemotional, and it's clear that they could really care less about the situation.

Bottom line: If they are charging you interest every month, then they should require a monthly payment, just like every other credit card. The woman at the call center told me that it is my fault. That I should be making *more* than the minimum required payment per month. She also informed me that if I ever wanted to apply any portion of my additional payment towards the amount that is subject to interest, I would have to CALL them to make this request.

As I was facing a loss in my family, great financial strain followed. I continued making monthly payments in amounts more than I could afford - $75, $100, $50. I never missed a month, yet two of my payments were not sufficient so Synchrony reported two months as NON-PAYMENT which is not only a LIE but extremely detrimental to one's credit report and against the law. I never missed a payment. When I called to address this problem I spoke to a young, very pompous, rude and unprofessional representative by the name of Tyler who claimed that his first name is the ONLY way I can identify him, but then gave his supposed supervisor's name (a generic name used by nearly every financial institute in the country) "James **".

As I started to explain the loss in my family and financial hardship, the rude and unprofessional Tyler interrupted and asked when I was going to make a payment since I "hadn't made a payment for two months". Flabbergasted, I asked if he heard a word I had said about making a payment every month. I told him I was getting "pissed off", to which this little pompous punk responded "watch your language". At this point I had enough of this little unprofessional jerk and decided since my credit was already ruined by Synchrony, I was not in any hurry to pay since they didn't have the time to treat me like a human being and refused to acknowledge my monthly payments. Synchrony, I will contact the SD AG's office and make certain your false credit reporting is dealt with swiftly. I will also do all I can do WARN others of your unlawful practice of false credit reporting.

I have an Amazon store card that's administered by Synchrony Financial. I use the card for interest-free financing for big ticket items. The last time I used the card, I bought some camera equipment, and paid the balance in full within the interest-free period. I also have an Amazon Prime account. I use it to order TV programs on an on-demand basis. Whenever I order anything on Amazon TV, it gets billed to my debit card. However, when I started a subscription to the Starz network, the fee (8.99), which recurs every month, was charged to my Synchrony Amazon store card. (Btw: It was also charged to my debit card.) Because I was under the impression that my Synchrony account was at a zero balance, and because I assumed that these fees were charged to my debit card, I never checked my Synchrony account balance. The thought just never occurred to me, and because it was at a zero balance, it was logical not to be concerned with it.

So, my Synchrony account went past due for three months. I wasn't made aware of the overdue payments. I never received any notification from Synchrony. I only found out about it when I was notified that my FICO score had changed. Prior to that, I'd never been late with a payment to my Synchrony Amazon store card. (In fact, I've never been late on any of my credit accounts.) But Synchrony saw fit to notify the credit agencies that I was 90 days past due. That is a serious derogatory on my credit report, and it's probably going to be extremely difficult to get it removed.

Since this happened, I've noticed a huge number of complaints on the Internet lodged against Synchrony Financial. So, I'm wondering if there is enough of a critical mass to initiate a class action lawsuit. Or, is this already in the works? Does anyone know of a class-action being filed against Synchrony? If so, I would like to hear about it so I can add myself to the suit. Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

I have a single account with Sam Ash music. I set it up for auto pay which, after 5 months, still has not worked and now they have sent it to collections. Worse yet, they opened a TJX rewards account without my permission. I should say I received a bill telling me I owed money on an account that they cannot even find in their system! The reps cannot even tell me why I received a statement telling me I owe them money. Again, this is an account that I never opened AND they cannot find me in their system! I'm pulling a credit report and if any of this shows up then I will start a lawsuit. Based on the number of terrible reviews across the web with people having similar issues, I'm guess there will be many others that will want to be involved with going after this BS of a business.

I did the interest free credit for a Lumber Liquidator's purchase. As most people, I set my payments up through my online banking. The statement due date is set up for the 4th of the month. At the time I didn't realize several holidays occur then. I pay due dates and all went fine at first but have been hit twice now with payment showing a day after the due date because of the holidays. The first was a charge of $27 and the next one was $37 before I caught it (July 4th). When I called they made it clear there is no grace period, not even the one day late mine were and each time the penalty becomes more severe. Very clever indeed.

I have just recently been informed by Synchrony that all my cards with them have been cancelled. My Brakes Plus, I use only for expensive car care and paid off, but only use in emergencies - cancelled due to inactivity. Amazon, yes late missed a month, but paid off next month - cancelled, JCPenney, always paid off within 3 months and yes late once a year but always paid off - cancelled. I talk to someone at the bank probably from India and he said because I do not use the Brakes Plus card is why they cancelled. I called JCPenney and they said the new policy appears no purchase 3 months or more is cause for inactivity. This should be illegal.

We, as consumers, use our credit cards for the purpose of making purchases when we need something immediately. Apparently this bank feels we need to use every month and pay interest. People let stand up for our rights as consumers and put this bank out of business. Let us go to our state governments and file complaints. And also since this is hurting our credit scores, it is time for a class action lawsuit.

Purchased windows from an installer who uses this bank for financing their Interest Free Financing offer. Got the first bill and there was a hidden $29 "Activation Fee" there. What a scam! Interest free, but a BS hidden ripoff fee. Just ridiculous.

This company has told me so many lies. First I was told I had one year free interest. After 6 months they added $900 to my acct for interest and $120 every month after. My min payment is 119.00/month and I always pay $400-$500 monthly and my payment seems to never decrease. I have called several times and all I get is a bunch of rude, lying representatives.

A few years ago, I opened a Synchrony account with a $400 balance at a local Midas shop to help with car repair costs. This particular card had zero interest if paid in full within 120 days. Any time I used the card, I made payments on time, every time and paid it off before the ridiculous interest rate would apply. In fact, I would often be late with payments to other cards to ensure this one was paid on time. Recently I received a letter from Synchrony telling me that based on my entire credit history, my Synchrony account has been closed. This was an important supplement to auto repairs and this was done in the month where I need to have my 2 vehicles inspected. I would understand it if I had a high credit limit, but for $400? Synchrony is the worst kind of credit company.

I had to have extensive dental work done which I had to get financing through Synchrony. After about a year of payments which I paid on time every time, I still had a balance of 1,166 and was about to get stiffed with a balloon APR of 500.00 or more so I wanted to pay it off and they wouldn't give me my whole account number over the phone so I could pay it off through a bank loan or credit card nor would they let me pay it off with my credit card. I never got a "card" through them or the dentist. All I could do was make payments online. Luckily, I was able to get a cash advance through one of my credit cards and paid the balance off immediately. What kind of bogus institution does this? They just wanted to stiff me with a balloon APR. Do not do business with these people. They are awful.

If there was no stars I'd give them none! This is the worst bank in history! And there have been bad banks in America. They are scammers! I applied for a Sam's Club card in March, I was approved for their MasterCard. When I signed up, I was told and there was a plaque right next to the register if I get approved no interest for 6 month on purchases. Now, it's August, I've called and fought with them once before because they charged me interest since my first billing cycle and again on my July bill they charged interest. When I called customer service, they said that the promotion is only on a certain minimum that I spend and only on certain items. I argued and argued and argued but got nowhere.

No one at this bank give a damn about the consumer at all! You have to carefully inspect ALL your statements because they will charge you for things they said they won't charge. I've had numerous issues with this bank before when I purchased furniture through Ashley Furniture store. This absolutely a horrid company. Had I known before I applied that it would be Synchrony Bank I'd be dealing with I would never have applied. I think this is false advertising on their part and Sam's Club. They don't disclose details and try to screw over the consumer. I wish this bank would close so we wouldn't deal with their ** anymore!!!

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Profile