Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been an account holder for 5 years. I always overpay my payments and I make frequent payments over the minimum due, if not I pay in full. I missed a payment on the due date because I just made a payment to them. They do not count other payments as or towards the monthly payment. Bank denied payment to them I made 3 payments in a months time! I was 3 days overdue the payment date and they closed my account. In 5 years never being late and overpaying balance due! 3 days, had I known I would have made the payment! But they just cancelled the account, customer service could care less about helping a customer.

I have excellent credit, never missed a payment and often made multiple payments a month to keep balance down! I am a good customer of Amazon.com and they lost me!!! Customer service could care less!! I was also charged a late fee because I was 3 days past the minimum due. I received email from them thinking it was phishing saying I was late on account (3 days) and reported it to Synchrony fraud site! "They said pay off your balance in full and reapply for a new card," Good bye! I just couldn't believe it! Just really bad helping customers and a really bad reflection on Amazon. I spend over 6 figures a year on Amazon.com and that is done! Do not use Synchrony Bank! Ever!!

Multiple times Synchrony has put hold on my Credit account with no basis explained. There was one returned payments due to bank account not found even when same account number has been used for more than a year. Customer manager accepted a system glitch at their end. They mention they have authority to put a hold on any account. For what? My payments have been on time, my bank has released the payment and none of my payments have been reverted ever. Customer service just reads the script and rejects the idea to think out of box even when it's their mistake. Very frustrated.

Just received a notice in the mail Synchrony is canceling my Amazon account due to low credit score and too many revolving accounts. Yes my credit score isn't the greatest. It's in between. I was never late and the card was actually paid in full for at least 6 months now. They are not hurting me by cancel a high interest credit card but I also have care credit through them for over 5 yrs and am now waiting to see if they cancel that account or lower the credit line like some are saying have happened to them. I have a small balance on it but like always payments will be on time and paid off shortly. I will not be dealing with this company much longer. If I'm not delinquent, and carry no balance why worry about stuff in my credit report that does not pertain to your account. Beware of this company... Run before you do business with them.

I DID NOT apply for any credit with this Bank. They send me multiple letters with different card. Even my name and address not match with the credit bureau's record. They still go ahead and get the cards approved. So far they had done 4 hard credit inquiries against my SSN. I called and spoke to many differences rep. They are not pleasant to speak to and helpless. So I design to report to all 3 credit bureau.

I was approved for an Old Navy store card a year and a half ago. To my surprise my account was closed in January 2017 due to a returned payment. I received an email stating that my payment had not processed which was odd so immediately I went online and made the payment on my old navy card. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail that my account had been closed. Confused so I call Synchrony bank and requested that they correct this. I was told that the bank tried to get the payment from my account at 4 am and it was not successful. I hang up and called my bank because I know that there was money to cover the amount. My bank says that my direct deposit hit my account around 6 am that is why the payment rejected. WOW is all I can say...

I call Synchrony bank back and explained the mishap and was told that there is nothing that they can do to reopen the account. Mind you they did receive the payment maybe a day or so late. They took the payment and closed the account. I love the Old Navy brand but this bank is bad for business. I haven't shopped Old Navy since. I loved getting the card holder deals. Now I don't see the point in paying extra to shop there and miss out on all the promotions. On my credit report it reads account closed, 100% of payments made on time, no balance due. Smh... This bank is the worse!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Synchrony Financial (formally Synchrony Bank) agreed verbally to take 4 monthly payments rather than a final balloon payment. 2 months into the payments, they threatened to repossess my jet ski which had 2 payments remaining and were all made on time. They then reported to the credit agencies as defaulted and charged off even though those payments were made on time. I've filed disputes and contacted the company to correct the credit records over the last few years to no avail. This company doesn't stand behind agreements made by their billing department, and harassed me with multiple daily phone calls for the last 2 months of payments they agreed to.

I didn't received statements due to mailing address change, and a $1,227 hhgregg due on Jan 17 ending up with $2,413 interests charge on Mar 9 (less than two months), although I auto paid $400+ minimum payment every month. I called them and raised the concerns. They don't care at all and said it's all my fault. This is totally steal money! Anyone wants to sue this bank and get our money back?

If I could give -0 stars I would!! I purchased furniture from Furniture Fair in Cincinnati. 48 months no interest on their Synchrony Credit card. I received my 1st paper bill on 1/28, the day after the due date of the payment 1/27. How could I pay a bill I never received? I got on 1/28 and paid on 1/28. I called Synchrony right away and pay the $48 on the bill and Jose said that he would "fix" the late fee. I received my Feb 2017 bill in my email and it showed I owed $82.00, $27 being a late fee. So I called again. Leo said that I should pay the $53 on the bill and he would handle the late fee.

I get the March bill and AGAIN $27.00 late fee + $53 payment. I called and INSISTED on talking to an account manager (got hung up on the 1st call and had to call back and wait 20 mins for another account manager) KATIE. KATIE said she fixed the late fee then that in 48 hours I would see the late fee of $27 and pay that with the $26 that would be the $53 payment that I should not see ANY late payments in April. We'll see. I'll send a 2nd post if the LATE FEE is back in April!! This bank is taking over every outlet everywhere. Ask before you apply for credit. Get a bank card if you need to. This bank and the way it treats its customers and their customer inquiry line is terrible!!

I did not apply for the store card, I was specific to only send a Mastercard or nothing at all. So they send me a store card with a $700 limit, they then tell me to go apply for the other card which I do. Denied due to the fact they do not give a second card to anyone. So wrong information again. On their website my FICO score is 787. My other cards carry credit lines from $12,500 to $25,000 and I have a 7 figure income, my credit report shows total outstanding debt of $282. WTF. Now I have two hard pulls on my credit report and a worthless $700 CL on my credit report. They refuse to send me the Mastercard. RUN far away from this so called bank.

In November, signed up for promotional financing on a TV from hhgregg. Purchased a second TV that we cancelled the order on prior to delivery. We never got the second TV but it was on our Dec bill from Synchrony anyway. I wrote Synchrony about it. The reply letter said we would not be billed late fees or minimum payment on said item during their investigation. Now 3 months later. Each bill Jan, Feb, March. All still have the new huge balance as well as that minimum payment due for the TV we never got. And late fees.

As a 750+ credit score holder this is really displeasing. I have written 2 more letters with no reply and have called over 20 times and NEVER got to speak to a person. Their phone system after being on hold 1/2 hour will always return to the main menu. This is predatory lending and who the heck is going to pay for a $4000 purchase they didn't receive? How could a legitimate investigation take 4 months? Do Not Use this finance company. They are not honest or customer friendly.

On March 3, 2017 I went to Sam's Club in Woodstock GA for gas and groceries. At the pump, it declined my Sam's Card and I had to use my Chase Credit Card to pay at the pump. I went inside to member services to be sure they had my new address, which I had changed previously on the internet, then went shopping.

At the register, I was declined twice, then at member services declined again, so I left my groceries. Later, at home, I called Synchrony Bank and they had blocked my card. Perhaps it was due to inactivity or new address (I don't know), but they unblocked me. Sometime next week I may try again when I am in that area. I was very dissatisfied at being declined three times. So Sam's Club lost a $51 sale, pissed off a good customer (me), and I will be sure to tell others about my experience.

This is by far the worst credit company! They approve people very easily for a loan in the medical field - you start paying and they keep on lowering your credit limit EVEN if you're paying 3 times the balance due and ultimately destroys your credit! PLEASE be aware of them and AVOID anything with this company. Better use your credit card or wait until you have money saved up OR you will be paying 5 times more and a lower credit because of this company. PLEASE DO NOT USE - do your research! I end up paying my loan off and so happy I don't have to deal with this company ever again.

I had fraud charges on my credit that I discovered around Feb. 1, 2017. I called and they said they would look into it. They sent me a new card in the mail. I called back Feb. 21, 2017 to check on the status and they never put in my charges. They ended up sending me two new cards for whatever reason or so I thought, but never got the cards in the mail. On March 2, 2017 I called back as to why I never got my cards in the mail and they said they had to send me two more cards because of the fraud. 3 different times I have called to check on it and they have cancelled both my cards every time. If my debt wasn't so high I would pay it off and never reopen with them again.

I have several credit cards with Synchrony Bank including Sam's Club 5000.00, Wal-Mart 1000.00 and JCPenney 1000.00. I've never paid late and had a credit balance of 4090.00 on Sam's Club over the past 9 months. I paid it off four weeks ago and once the payment posted I notice online available credit of 150.00! They said they lowered my credit balance due to derogatory accounts on my credit report. Due to my current financials situations I'm current with 12 student loans, 10 credit cards and a personal loan with credit utilization of only 15% and they lowered my credit balance because of a two doctor bills that hit my credit score for 50 points!! Again, I've never paid my mortgage, credit cards or loan payment late once!!!

The first account I had with Synchrony Bank, I had to cancel. The routing number which I used the same for all other payments was exactly the same, yet Synchrony kept sending notices that my bank could not find my account. I had a banker call and finally set up a different way to pay the balance and get rid of Synchrony. Second time was at Sam's Club. I did not know it was Synchrony until got the bill. Paid in full, and again, "bank could not find account". Went to banker, they acknowledged that they had the right info. I paid the balance and forgot about it. Then again, "bank could not find account". Checked with Synchrony routing number info, and it was a good one. They resent, and whammo it worked! Then my balance was the ZERO (again).

But the following month, I got a charge and their agent said it was "interest". I asked how could they charge interest on a zero balance? So they wiped it out and apologized. They promised it would not happen again. Yesterday, SYNCHRONY sent a BILL FOR INTEREST ON A ZERO BALANCE! Somebody must be extorting and laundering money. How many people pay and don't even bother to care about who is able to grab their money?

I moved a lot of money to Synchrony Bank for the higher interest rates. The customer service people were very friendly and was great until I unfortunately needed my money. I moved money from my savings to checking account within Synchrony Bank. I was told that the money would not be available the night I moved it since it was late but the next day I could write a check. The next day I called the bank to make sure the money was in the checking account and my check would go thru. I was told no problem. I go to the store, hand them a check and it is denied. I call the bank, spend over a half hour on the phone only to be told all transfers internal or external take 24-48 hours. The customer service representative agreed that was stupid and went to two other supervisors but all had the same answer. I closed my account. They will NEVER hold another dime of my money!

My Walmart account is **. At 7.52am on February 21st 2017 I made my regular online payment yet noticed that on the same day a late fee of $25 was posted to my account! This morning when I rang Synchrony to complain I was told by Jairo ID ** that 'late fees were automatically added' to customer's accounts 'when' those customers used the online payment system 'because the system did not recognize' payments had been made even though those payments had been made on the morning of the day that they were due.

Jairo ID ** then told me that those 'automatically applied late fees' were 'automatically repaid to the customer' after the online payment had 'posted' and that payments posted online did not show up for 48 hours. That is of course total **. The payment I made to Synchrony registered in my Citibank account at 6.36am this morning, February 22nd.

What Synchrony is doing is illegal. It is a fraudulent means of registering late payments against accounts that are in good order, and to which payments have been made on the day they were due. You cannot levy late payments of $25 against accounts and use the excuse that Synchrony can operate like this because the 'system you use does not recognize payments'. This morning I checked with ConsumerAffairs and saw 389 complaints against this practice of yours. I want this system of yours stopped; and for late fees to NOT be taken in the first place on accounts that are in good order. It is a fraudulent way to run a 'banking' business and I want an immediate investigation.

I got a Walmart store card through Synchrony Bank about 8 months ago, never missed a payment and paid the balance off. I notice today they reduced my limit! What sense does that make? I've been a good customer and have never been late. I will be closing this card and NEVER shopping at Walmart again.

I had my car worked on at Midas and opened a Synchrony Bank Midas credit card while I was at the store. I disputed the charge with Synchrony Bank because Midas Auto services misdiagnosed the problem with my car and charged me 293.00 that I didn't need to spend. I found out later all I really needed was a new gas cap. Synchrony Bank took 60 days to investigate which I could have done in 5 minutes with the way their "investigation" was done. I got a call from the corporate office that this woman Jen ** was going to speed up my dispute. Another 10 days later I get a letter saying my dispute was denied. I continually called Synchrony Bank and was given the runaround for 60 fricken days to find out they don't get involved in service issues and they are just the finance company through the credit card. I am livid.

I talked to Jen ** again and told her how I thought her investigation was a joke and I am shocked at how Synchrony Bank treats customers. I asked for her supervisor which I am waiting to see if she returns my call. I closed the account because of making me wait 60 days on a dispute and then abruptly denying me. I asked Jen ** if she actually called the Midas store. She told me she didn't. So, she didn't even properly investigate the dispute. I then asked her to contact the Midas store and she refused to do so. She said she would only do it on a three-way call. I said I do not want to talk to the store. She said that is going against my credit card agreement by not working with the merchant. I cannot even believe how ridiculous Synchrony Bank is. I am floored I had to wait 60 days when they didn't even fully investigate the dispute.

Jen tells me that the dispute department called the store and spoke to them and they told her that they were willing to work with me. I asked Jen what exactly working with me meant because the last time I spoke to the district manager Robert at the store he was hostile toward me. She said she didn't know but that is what they said so that is why my dispute got denied. So, based on Midas saying "We will work with him" the bank denied my dispute? Unbelievable. So, now I have to pay off the debt on my card when Midas misdiagnosed the problem with my car. I will never again do business with this ghetto bank and its cronies.

Consumer BEWARE!! I went to make my payment on Synchrony and I noticed a charge of 161.99!! I filed a fraudulent dispute. According to the customer rep this happens a lot! WHAT?? Do not use this bank! And if you do have this bank watch your account like a hawk!

I've had numerous credit lines with Synchrony Conns, WalMart, etc. High balance with Penney's $275.00. Made my payments. Present balance $145.000 and I receive a letter that they're reducing my available credit from $1,500 to $250.00. I'm going to spend about a week posting their chicken ** way of jerking customers around.

Synchrony bank is the worst bank in the country. I lost my job I was paying the minimum payment due, they charge me every time 25 to 70 dollars late fee and report 4 times to the credit bureau. They really mess with my credit. I hope you enjoy my money, that will burn you all... I pray to god to burn you all you are just a rats.

Even after confirming by phone that all address and account information are correct, Synchrony rejected my credit union's payoff check the first time, stating "incorrect account number" (untrue). Rejected a second attempt, then finally a third attempt to pay electronically is still not showing. This account was sold to Synchrony from another bank, but the responsibility is on Synchrony to keep records and to apply payments as received. This situation still unresolved!

Spoke with Matt, manager at Synchrony Bank for Old Navy card holder. When I mentioned about how Jee (representative) did a good job taking the my call, with issues, concerns and addressing all of my questions and putting a note into my acct. with the intention of not going thru the same ongoing issue I been having with this company. He then replied (sarcastic and careless about my concern) "Matt Manager" for Synchrony Bank Old Navy Visa Card holder as of 02/09/2017 at 7:30 pm CTS: "Ma'am doesn't mean that what she puts on the notes will happen. As an example, I can right now put in the acct. that you are going to win the Powerball and that doesn't mean anything, that doesn't mean it will happen, because those notes she made are worthless. No one will follow those notes."

Then what is the point of doing notes, then what's the point of having a representative that has helped a customer by calming them down and dealing with phone calls on daily basis for a badass manager that can screw things up and make them feel that your business is not appreciated. I'm sorry but poor people that works under this jerk. Jee (representative from front desk) should get a raise and this badass should be cleaning restrooms so he can appreciate things more and be more humble. BTW OldNavy if you care, you are losing my business, please thank your manager Matt.

They may dispute this but it's there in black and white and many, many complaints have been filed to no advantage to having them start billing interest properly. They bill you interest on the first charge you make. You pay the minimum payment due, or perhaps more, but not all of the balance. You make no more actual merchandise purchases. They take the interest from your last bill... let's say this was your November 2016 bill. When computing the December 2016 bill, they add the interest billed in November back to your balance as if it were a purchase made in December. Then they charge interest on it and your bill goes up instead of down like it should.

Do an on-line query about Synchrony Bank and their interest charging practices. You will find many class action lawsuits against them. I would like a refund on all of the extra interest they have billed me over the years (even when they were known as GE Capital Retail Bank)... On Dec. 6, 2016, I was diagnosed with a lethal strain of Non-Small Cell Squamous Cell Lung cancer and the person who assisted me when I called to have help with the bill was very rude, very! Now, every month I get a stupid paper to have to have my Doctor fill in about my condition for which I have to pay him $35.00 for each one. One such statement from a Doctor should be enough.

At least 5-6 calls per day. Despite paying statement amount month, and on time, they continue to call. They also send emails advising of additional "Late Charges" that they tack on every two weeks. Complete rip-off designed to assure that consumers can never pay their debt.

I had recently hoped to improve my credit score through obtaining a new credit card. Since I needed some percussion equipment and Guitar Center offered their Gear Card, I took them up on the offer. It is a credit card from Guitar Center, partnered with Synchrony Bank. Upon immediately using this card, I made the entire payment in one check and mailed it back to Synchrony.

Four weeks later, I received a delinquent payment notification from Synchrony, including their late fee, and this naturally sent me up into a rage. I called to inquire what happened, and never received any actual human feedback (nothing but automated messages, including an address for late payments due to lost checks). I mailed a second payment to the address for lost checks. Today, I received a call from Synchrony for debt collection! Additionally, after giving up and paying the entire thing online, I was rejected literally by Synchrony for asking to speak with customer service. They will not allow interaction with customer service if you have a late payment. Since I made the online payment and then called, they said I need to wait for 24, maybe 48 hours. Since I said I was not calling to complain based on the recent online payment, but on the attempted payments made weeks before, I was told I would not receive customer service support.

IN SHORT: Synchrony is really sinCRONY: they reject payments in order to claim delinquent payments and all the late fees that come with it, while exacerbating your credit score in the process, and they literally make it harder for you to either complain or make amends for any issues. They are NOT a place to have a credit card with, and they know what they are doing. This is BEYOND corrupt - this is the meticulous and systematic set up of defrauding customers. Don't do ANYTHING with this bank.

Synchrony Bank--it's a highway robbery. You called them and it's all foreigners and they're not explaining things to you properly. They charge you $37 late fee even when you are not even late. These people a highway robbery. I would never never borrow money from these people again. This is wrong that they stealing people's money, taking people's money, and telling them that they are late and charging them late fees and interest rates. I have closed my account with them and I'm willing to pay the rest of the money. These people are highway robbery. I did need to shut them down.

I held 3 accounts with Synchrony Bank; Walmart, Sam's Club and Amazon. My average balance between them was $1200.00 each. I was laid off Oct 27th. In November I signed up with a debt consolidation program to "save" my credit. My payments were still being made through November. In January, I decided to pay off all my debts from my 401k account instead of through the debt consolidation plan. (It would take 4-6 months of non-payment for the debt consolidation to even start.)

In January 2017, I started to pay off all my debts, starting with Synchrony Bank. As soon as I notified them I was paying my balance to zero, they CLOSED two of my accounts before my payment could post! I called to ask why and I was told the system automatically closes accounts the day it hits 90 days past due. That's bull! If a payment, especially a full balance due payment is scheduled to post within 3 business days, it should not close. THEN after they finally post, the credit line on the third account drops from $1000 to $100 stating it was because of a review of my credit report. (That hasn't even been updated yet). I closed the third account myself telling them they can keep their lousy $100 credit line. I would rather my credit report show I closed the account than the creditor closing it.

Bottom line is... when Synchrony Bank sees you are trying to do the right thing, and pay what is owed instead of filing bankruptcy or just ignoring them, they will screw you over by closing your accounts and taking the money or decreasing your credit line to almost nothing to ruin your credit report anyway. I should have kept my $3800 and made them wait. It did me no good to do the right thing! I'm telling everyone I know to close their accounts with Synchrony before they close them for no reason!!

I missed a payment in error and called them when got the bill. Agreed to make current in 5 days including current charges. That robo called me leaving no message 5 or 6 times a day. So rude. Is it legal to call so much?

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Profile