2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I have been applying for a JCPENNY credit card since 1980. It is now 2021, and still can't get approved. I know people with limits on their JCPENNY cards with limits as low as $100. Why not me? My credit is good enough I feel,.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

They closed my credit card with no notice causing me to lose a lot of reward points and have many pending charges cancelled. This was for an account in good standing and I had never had a late payment.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

Terrible experience with the Synchrony issued Amazon credit card. My credit limit is a paltry $200 with no way to increase it. I have tried and have gotten denied even though I have a credit score over 700, stable income, and have had the card for a couple years now. Posting payments takes WEEKS, even with autopay. Say you make a payment on the 1st of the month, your usable credit does not apply for WEEKS! Customer support has confirmed this over the phone. What good is a getting 5% back on Amazon purchases if there is no way to use your credit? Purchases get constantly denied for no reason - I am trying to make a $39 purchase with $47 available credit. Nope, not going though. I am going to look for a way to cancel this useless card without a hit to my credit. I can't believe the largest ecommerce retailer has gone with this useless company as their credit issuer.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Synchrony uses an app to verify your identity when you apply for credit. It doesn’t always work. I tried three times to upload photos of my driver’s license and a photo of myself through the app and on my phone and I thought the third time it went through. I was told that I was denied because they couldn’t verify my identity. I called them and told them the app malfunctioned, they said they couldn’t do anything about it. I told them I already have three accounts with them. They said it doesn’t matter.

In other words Synchrony’s policy is to trust their app over a human being that is talking to them in real time on the phone. Unbelievable! This seems unethical and just bad business practice to me because people with excellent credit are being denied because of a malfunctioning app. They should have a process in place where when that happens, a customer should be able to contact a customer service agent and rectify the problem, but they don’t. I tried. BEWARE! If they don’t trust you, why should you trust them?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I opened an account with this bank for a PC Richards credit card. They ran my credit and gave me a 1000 credit limit. I’ve been paying it without delay and before it’s due. I received an alert from my credit monitoring app that my credit decreased and my score decreased as well as my balance. Upon review I discovered that Synchrony Bank decided to drop my credit limit to 400 dollars. Upon calling customer service and waiting over 20 minutes I was told there was nothing they could do. It was an automatic review and was hung up on, which again makes absolutely no sense considering that outside of Capital One this is the only credit card I have and my payment history is excellent. Synchrony Bank is a terrible horrible bank that deserves to collapse in on itself. Stay away from this bank at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

My experience with this credit card has been...decent. For the first 5 months they were great, but then Covid-19 happened. I am a full time student, so I have dedicated all my time to my studies, so the breadwinner in our home is my husband. When the employees at my husband's job started playing hot potato with the virus, the company closed down for a whole month and laid everyone off during this time. My husband didn't get a check that whole time and when my credit card bill came due, do you think the company understood why I couldn't pay my bill by the due date? HECK NO! If I was you, I wouldn't go near this company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have been doing business with Synchrony Bank for several years and have had nothing but the best experience with them. I'm disabled and have 3 different cards with synchrony. I love that I can make several payments a month keeping my balance down and pay my full at the end of every month, what I still owe so no interest and using the automated system to pay using my debit card is so easy, fast and free. My payment is always added to my account as soon as I make the payment, same day. I don't have a bank account but from what I have learned it takes the payment longer to be received and added to your account when using a check, money order.

People should get a prepaid debit card to make their payments because it's so much easier, faster for your payment to hit your account and like I said the payment is added right then during the call through the automated system. I use my Amazon prime rewards card a lot because the rewards are great,5% cashback and I get a lot of my family, pet needs at Amazon. Especially since I pay full balance every month there is never any interest to pay. So I usually have $40 to $50 in rewards every month and that's great. I only have 4 credit cards and that's plenty to help my credit score which is in the low 700. I don't have anything bad on my report but I do, have used too much of my credit line which will affect your credit score sometimes if you don't keep your credit utilization below 30%.

Also I don't think a lot of people understand that when they have several different credit cards that each card reports at different times of the month and so everything you owe on each card every time one is reported to the credit bureaus all of your cards usages is reported, recorded on your credit report, credit utilization. So you really have to pay attention to your credit utilization since your credit usage is being reported a few times during a one month period. Some people probably think like I use to that all credit card companies report at the same time once a month. They don't. Understanding when each of your credit cards are reported will help you a lot to keep your credit utilization down by keeping your balance down before each report. I hope I explained this good enough so people can understand. I wish I knew at first but now I do. I don't understand some of the bad reviews.

But some looks like people just don't know how to use their card responsibly or may have too many cards, too much debt, credit utilization being high more than 30%. I don't know. I just know Synchrony Bank has been good to me and I've never had a problem with them. I have contacted customer service a few times to ask a question and have always been treated very good by the representative I talked to. I have nothing but good things to say about Synchrony Bank.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Received an alert from Experian that my Synchrony Pep Boys card was cancelled. Haven’t missed a payment and always paid much more than minimum. Hardly used the card and don’t understand why it was cancelled. I’ve had the card for a few years. Called and was told I’d receive a letter in the mail explaining. I guess not Synchrony noticed that I was paying large payments to pay it off and not using it so I was of no value to them anymore.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I started by using the Care Credit card for my medical bills because I needed something to help with medical bills I had incurred. I was afraid that the bad reviews but noticed they were usually by people who didn't grasp how to use them properly. I took the initial hit, you always get, when you first open the account. I paid off the account quickly and was able to pay off the account except for $300 without having to pay any interest. I was so impressed that I then opened a Care Credit account with them. I bought some very needed tires for my car and had it serviced. Same deal here, initial credit hit when I opened the account. One more payment this month and I will have gotten all my services without interest. Just so anyone reading this understands, no I did not make minimum payments. I always paid much more. If my payment was $39 a month, I paid $100. Both of these accounts have made a great impact on my credit report!

Original review: March 23, 2020

Listen, I realize that the nation is in a free fall right now and the situation is very scary for so many people that are financially being hit so hard. I include myself in that category of people. Anytime a creditor works with you on payments, is a true blessing. And I am blessed that this company understands my pain and anxiety about being able to make a monthly payment right now. You should expect this kind of treatment from a business that you have maintained a good payment history and a solid relationship with; and they came through 100% in my time of need. Thank you Synchrony, You rock!

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
    www.synchronyfinancial.com