1.04/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

651 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I had both TJ Max and Walmart credit cards. Paid them both off and then the accounts were closed. I was never late with payments, but this has made my credit score go down, I would like to know if this is legal... I still have a Belk card. I'm hoping they don't close this account.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My cards are Belks, Empire Carpet, Capital One, Walmart and maybe Kohl’s. I have other credit cards as well and have always paid more than the minimum before the due date. I’m a Macy’s platinum card holder, Belks premier rewards card holder. Both cards had high spending limits in upwards of $5000. In July of this year, we had a tornado touch down in our community damaging our home. We were in a hotel and I was away from my planner and bills, due dates and amounts. Not to mention the stress of our situation. I was late on my bills but explained my situation and was able to pay the late fee but have it taken off my balance! In August I ended up in the hospital with an eternal intestinal bleed.

So again, my bills were late. This time I received no relief despite my situation even though I volunteered to fax them hospital papers. About 2 weeks later I received letters from Belks, Macy’s, Kohl’s and Capital One and Chase that all my credit limits had been lowered!!! Severely at that. My $7500 Macy’s limit is now $1800 and my $5000 Belks is $800!!!

All because of some Synchrony Bank review and my previous consecutive late payments. And that I have too many credit cards versus my income!!! My credit cards altogether don’t even add up to $8000 and our total income is $95,000! What the... I've closed all my accounts and set up all on auto pay so nothing is late again!!! I’m not dealing with Synchrony Bank ever again!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This company is very rude and very unprofessional. I sent a payment over $2300.00 to this company in error. It was suppose to go to pay off Conn's Home Plus. Synchrony has an account with Conn's credit card. I don't have an account with Synchrony with this department. The customer care reps are very rude and for some reason, they can't find my payment, because I don't have an account with Conn's through Synchrony. I have proof where they cashed and endorsed my check, but for some reason, can't account for it. I have been fighting to get this issue resolved for over 2 months now with no help or assistance from Synchrony Financial. In the meantime, I have to continue to pay for the Conn's account I do have until this issue is resolved. They are a bunch of thieves!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I recently found out that I did not cash in my rewards check that I supposedly received in February. So of course if you don't use it before the 180 days they will not reissue you a new check which of course is the money you earned back from all your spending you did and will keep your money. I am disappointed in these practices that they can just keep your money. I can just imagine how many other people they have scammed this way. I have been calling them to make payments over the phone the last few months and no one had mentioned to me that I did not cash in my reward check or that it was going to expire. At this point I will not be using that credit card and stick with my Visa! Credit card people beware before you sign up with Synchrony Bank, issuer of the Sam's Club Corporate Account.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Purchased a new Mattress from a store that offered interest-free payments for two years. Monthly payments were to be $287.00/Month. Have paid $500.00/Month (1st payment) in April, May, June, July and in August made two payments of $500.00 each... because we were going on vacation and were going to be out of the country for 3 weeks... my October statement contained a $27.00 LATE CHARGE. Called customer service and spoke to someone who called himself Alex. Convinced him that, if anything, I was ahead on my payments, he agreed to remove the charge.

Three days later, received another "recorded message" telling me I was LATE. Called them back and spoke to someone who called himself Sean, convinced him that if anything I was ahead on payments, asked to speak to a supervisor (he wouldn't let me speak to one), but agreed that I was ahead on my contract payments, and agreed to eliminate the $27.00 LATE CHARGE. Three days later I received another call telling me that I was LATE on my payments. The customer service and intelligence level as well as truthfulness of this institution convinced me to NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING from a store that uses Synchrony Bank credit. I would rather DO WITHOUT, that ever get involved with this 'band of bozos'!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Recently after Babies R Us closed Synchrony converted my card to a regular Master Card with a limit of 3,300. After having around 400 dollars put on the card I paid it off within a couple of months. Right after doing so they closed out my account with no notice. I have never missed a payment on any credit card and the card was not unused for a long period of time, when I called their customer service to dispute this they told me they didn't have the information why it was closed and I should receive a letter soon. To be honest one of the worst experiences ever and unfortunately I have a few more cards through them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I got a Synchrony Card a few months ago. I have paid on time and paid over the amount due. Synchrony mailed me a letter telling me after reviewing my credit, they have decided to lower my limit. This wouldn't be big deal but this made my credit score drop. Also what are they doing checking my credit without my permission! I recently bought a new car so my credit score had dropped a little so I guess that gave them a reason in their eyes. Is this legal? I had a large credit limit so now that they lowered my credit score, It shows I have a much higher debt versus credit ratio. Unbelievable! If there is a class action lawsuit, count me in!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I shop often at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods, so I got their store card - had I known how horrible Synchrony Bank was, I never would have considered it. I paid my last bill on time through my bank online pay. Because there was a national holiday on Monday, the due date, payment didn't actually hit their system until the 5th. For this I got a $40.64 fee plus interest (28.4%!!) on a balance due of $35. When I attempted to reach someone at customer service, the voicemail system took me through about 10 press this number, press that number, then put me on hold for ages before I got to a representative. Though she was very nice, she could not help remove the extra charges. I tried to reach corporate office of TJ Maxx, and wound up getting tossed into the eternal voicemail hell again. Needless to say, this card is going into the shredder.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased an item at Sam Ash and was given financing through Synchrony Bank. I decided to buy with Sam Ash because they told me that I would receive a 100.00 Visa prepaid card if I finance with Synchrony Bank and that I would receive 24 months interest free financing. They stipulated that I had to submit a form, with a copy of the receipt, postmarked by July 31, 2018. Well, they received it by July 27, 2018, however When I read the form over, it turns out that I can't call them less than eight weeks after receiving the form yet there is a small clause that states that if I call after 9/3/18 - "all rights hereunder will expire." I found this out when one of their rude employees pointed it out to me.

Although I called 2 1/2 weeks before the eighth week, it was two days after the cutoff date - 9/3/18 but I get ahead of myself; the number they placed on the form for me to call is actually a fax number. I called the number displayed on my Sam Ash card and I spent over an hour being transferred from one department to another - from one person to another. I finally got frustrated and called customer service and asked that I close my account, that I will continue to pay it off. It was explained to me that if I closed the account I would have to pay in full or I would be charged interest fees. In the end, although I did everything right, they made sure that I would not receive what they promised. I've never dealt with such a sleazy company in my life.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I used Synchrony 10+ years ago to buy carpet, interest free. Great service, never an issue! Now in 2018, my daughter needed expensive medical treatment and the doctor’s office offered interest free with Synchrony. Great! NOT SO! They charged a late fee first time, my fault, they removed the charge. Second time, my fault, oh well. Gotta pay! Then I started paying early and way over the minimum amount. They will CHARGE you if you pay too early! The window they leave to not charge you is so small you need to set an alarm and pay right when it goes off or you will be charged a late fee! I have NEVER had this issue with any other card or pre-payments! They have the most convoluted accounting system. I will NEVER accept credit from them after this one! I hope they don’t mess with my credit score! That’s sounds like an even bigger nightmare! This company is FRAUDULENT AND UNETHICAL! You have been warned!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had the Synchrony Amazon Prime Store card for 8 years 9 month. Bought hundreds, if not thousands of dollars of merchandise during those years on the card. On May 28, I purchased $19.98 of goods that I thought I used a different credit card to pay. On September 14, I received an email from Credit Karma that my Amazon Card was showing 3 months past due. I immediately went in and paid the balance of $22.54 (went from Original purchase $19.98, credit of $10.46 + late charges and fees). Card was paid in full.

I get an email from several sources that my credit account report shows a card was closed. When I investigated, found it was the Amazon Card. Closed on September 12. No call, no discussion, just canceled my card after being with them for over 8 years. So I call in hoping to talk to someone and work this out. It was an honest mistake or shall I say oversight on my part.

There was no one that would listen to my story. They didn't want to hear my story. I was told that my account was >90 days past due and their policy is to cancel the card and there is nothing they can do. I talked to (1) customer service rep and (2) different managers. My card is paid in full, I have no late payments prior to this one purchase, and there is no discussion? No review of my account to verify that until this event, I AM an on-time payer. To perform a review and consider reinstating my account.

Needless to say, they don't care! I was late for three months (for a $9.52 balance as of June Statement), and it is now paid in full, and no one was willing to work with me on at minimum reviewing my history and consider reinstatement. I have a savings account with Synchrony Bank, I have a Synchrony Care Credit Card, and I had the Synchrony Amazon Card all in good standing until this late payment. I understand why the card was canceled, what I can't understand is why not one person (and I talked to 3), was not willing to review my account. They would see that I have a proven path for on-time payments prior to this event, and this was not a pattern of late paying. Needless to say, I closed all my accounts with this company, and this is the first review I have ever written against a company. I felt I needed warn others away from this company. Lack of customer care!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

They lost to charge the $40 additional late fees every month anyway they can, if you try to pay by phone they have tricks that doesn't allow you to make the payment on time. Later on they call to let you know that you are late, you explain that you made the payment over the phone and they tell you little tricks that you did or didn't do right. No matter what is a scam to get your additional fees all the time.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have four cards with Synchrony Financial and paid off each account early. Twice after paying off Balance in Full with Musician's Friend and with Kiesel Guitars I was assessed an additional charge. True.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This experience with Synchrony Financial has been, and continues to be, an absolute nightmare. Without going into the history of the concern, suffice it to say that the issue has reached the point of my having to engage an attorney to act on my behalf, both with Synchrony and with the fraudulent merchant. My attorney and I have sent FOUR affidavits of representation to Synchrony Corporate, at the address and FAX number they specified, in order for them to deal directly with the attorney.

In each and EVERY instance, Synchrony denies receiving the affidavit, denies any knowledge of the attorney's role, refuses to deal with the attorney BUT, and this is the clincher, they ALSO refuse to deal with me directly, claiming in the instances where I attempt to talk with someone, that they have directions to ONLY SPEAK WITH the ATTORNEY! If this weren't happening every time, and were the issue not so financially devastating for me, it would almost be comical, but as it occurs, it is poisonously criminal! My attorney assures me that this is typical of large corporations dodging their customers when they have played fast and loose with the law, but as a simple consumer, it is heartbreaking. I am not exaggerating because I am, in fact, losing my home due to this situation.

I receive form letters from Synchrony thanking me for my inquiry, but yada yada yada, and telling me to call if I have any questions. However, when I call, I can only think that my phone number is flagged and I am routed to the "hitmen" in customer service who simply parrot the denials of having any record of attorney representation. When I request a supervisor, I am NOT simply put on hold interminably. In most cases, I am DISCONNECTED. REALLY! I never thought that people could do this. We are living in a terrible time to be a consumer, or to be elderly. I hate what we have become in this country.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I was going to purchase a block and tackle from Walmart online. When I got to the check out screen I was prompted to apply for a Synchrony Bank CC for which I would receive a cash discount at payment. After filling out the application completely a popup informed me it could not be processed "at that time". The letter that arrived a week later stated that after reviewing my name, my address, my telephone number, my Social Security number, and my credit report they could not verify I was who I said I was. I am not sure who they think I am, but I closely monitor all my credit and financial accounts and see no indication of identity theft that would trigger this action.

I do see however many, many reports of unethical business practices by Synchrony, including but not limited to drastic cuts in credit limit as soon as a customer gets it paid down so as to artificially keep the customer debt to credit ratio high. I see they will close accounts that are paid off and not used for even a few months. I did not need this credit, I just thought I would take advantage of an advertised cash incentive in a purchase I would have made anyway. I am happy I did not get extended any account from this obviously very flawed "bank" business. My suggestion is STAY AWAY... STAY FAR AWAY from Synchrony bank!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I've had my Synchrony Bank PayPal MasterCard for about 2 months, and I saw the reviews and it freaked me out!!! So I called customer service, and asked, "What influences your credit limit going up or down," and the guy was so well spoken and intelligent and knowledgeable about the subject, I learned a lot!!! Like whether you're buying jewelry versus just food can make a difference to your credit limit, whether you take out a mortgage or maybe just apply for one or like it sounded like he was getting at like what other things can change your assets or spending money. And I am not sure what's going to happen to my credit limit, because I was offered this card after making a big purchase just through PayPal credit, but I've only been using the MasterCard to buy food...

So I hope and pray my years of working hard to build good credit will not be destroyed, because I depend on my good credit for replacing my air conditioner any year now, and replacing my laptop and a year now. :'( But I don't think my credit limit will change, because my mom has had her Amazon credit card, through Synchrony Bank for a couple years, and her credit limit has never changed. But she does carry a small balance, and she does make more material and larger purchases more often than me!!!

Anyway just because I deserve it because of my hard work and because I'll have a good quality of life if my credit limit doesn't go down, I hope and pray that it won't go down just because of some companies greed... So let's all reply to our comments or make new reviews or something just saying exactly what might have influenced your credit line going up or down, and then we can know what to expect more accurately from Synchrony Bank??? Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Once they took over my account from Lowe's they claimed I had asked for paperless invoices since 2014. I had NOT. I had always received paper invoices from Lowe's prior card provider. Got a late charge notification at my email, but never received any invoice paper or paperless invoice. I checked that account. They took a late charge of $25. that they made happen be sending no invoice. Thieves! Avoid these bankcard scammers!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have two cards from them, a Walmart and an eBay credit card. I've had these accounts since 2017. Now being only one payment behind, threatening a lawsuit. This company is garbage with poor customer service. They need to do a much better job in working with their customers taking into consideration we go through hard times from time to time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Synchrony bank just lowered my credit limits on 3 of my cards? I’ve paid all of them on time never late and each card was below 20% of my credit used? They never advised me. I found out because my overall credit took a hit due to my balances being lowered now making it look as if I’ve exhausted my credit on all cards! This is a bully tactic and completely unfair! I kept my promise and paid timely... so why penalize me? I see hundreds of complaints about them and yet nothing is done! They are misleading the credit agencies and making good people appear negative when in fact they were not! Credit is earned and so long as you're meeting your obligation... why would a company just abuse their power and single handedly destroy their consumers' credit ratings?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Going through a credit settlement plan for certain credit cards, We only kept limited credit card accounts open for emergencies. Synchrony Bank decides to close all accounts that we have paid on and is/was in good standing with. We only kept certain cards open for emergencies. But since Synchrony Bank decided to close the accounts that I wanted to keep open, I plan to tell people if they are looking into getting any cards in the future, make sure it's not through Synchrony Bank. They will close accounts without reason, even if you have always paid on time and have never been late. SCREW SYNCHRONY BANK. Good business call Synchrony!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

This company is complete trash. I have paid my bill on time for OVER 2 YEARS and they will not settle. They have made more than my original health care costs. Their interest rates are utterly ridiculous and they prey on desperate people. Avoid at all costs. If you don't pay it off in the first 60 days you will be screwed and your balance which was half paid off will return to full. The customer service sucks and they are terrible people. I will never recommend anyone to use this disgraceful and shameful sorry excuse for a company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My husband and I opened a credit account with Mattress Firm last year to purchase an expensive adjustable bed. We were told we had 60 months to pay interest free. We set up automatic payments so we will never be late. All payments have gone smoothly on schedule. Separate from this account, we held a Care Credit card for emergencies. Well, today we had an emergency dental situation. We were grateful for the card! Unbeknownst to us, our Mattress Firm balance was transferred onto our Care Credit card. We had very limited credit available to use for the emergency and were forced to use funds for our house payment. Now we're upset about the transfer of accounts, knowing over $3,000 of available credit was taken from us. How is this even legal? We want to be included in a class action lawsuit. How despicable and corrupt this financial organization is.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I called in two weeks ago steaming about making a payment. They wanted so much information about the account that it was if the women was sparing with me because I was upset. DIDN'T CARE FOR THE PERSONALITY OF SERVICE PERSON. She was cocky. I wonder if at home knows of this treatment that they're giving THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had a JC Penney cc this company closed the card saying lack of use. I just used the card a month ago and paid the balance off in full. I recently received a letter about my Amazon Card which, the balance was lower from 2000.00 to 100. I just purchased 30.00 of stuff on this card. Now my balance is more than 30% of the credit limit. I did google this bank and I found a list of companies they deal with. I would file a complaint with the CFPB...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I never opened an account with them yet in 2018 I got sued for a account that was opened in 2013. After calling them several times they told me they had no record of the account and they would take care of it with their collection agency. One month later I had a summons to court so I called again and was told that they had a record of me talking to one of their claims people but she failed to follow up with her end of fixing it so nothing was done. They assured me that they would fix their records and I went to court and explained this to the Judge and the collections Attorney.

Two months later I get a call from the collections Attorney saying he has not heard from Synchrony so I called again and was told they are still working on it. They cannot find any application for credit only a one-time purchase back in 2013 with my address on it. I was told by the collection attorney he would deal directly with them only to find out he was on the phone with the court an hour later and received a judgment against me for not showing up. So I called the fraud department at Synchrony and their response was "Sorry we can't find any supporting documents but since your name is on it, it must be yours". I can only give them a 1-star review but given the option I would give them a negative 5 for total lack of effort.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

We opened a CareCredit account with a limit of $7000.00, have always made double the payment and payments have always been on the due date or before. Imagine my surprise when my credit score drops 43 points in the middle of my home purchase! Only to find out the reason is Synchrony Bank has dropped my limit to $1800 ($300 more than my balance). I called the company and was paired with the RUDEST “customer service” agent I’ve ever spoken to. Do not use this bank for any credit card needs unless you want your credit to be impacted negatively!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I opened my Lowe’s credit account with a $6000.00 limit. Since then they have lowered my available credit 3 times in the last year. I have paid them over $2000.00 to lower my balance but every time I lower the amount that I owe, they lower my available credit and thus keeping my card at the max amount available. This tends to lower your credit score. They blame me for my credit score but they are effectively lowering my credit score by keeping my account at the max available credit every time they lower it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Open a credit card through Synchrony Financial to buy furniture from Ashley HomeStores and we were told to get the best deal to put most of our furniture on one statement and the mattress that we bought another statement. The mattress that we bought had 12 months no interest not deferred and the other bigger portion had 72 months. We were told that our payments would be going to the mattress first for the first year and once that was paid off in the first year our payment would drop and it would start going toward the one with the longer-term.

Well it’s been a year and all of a sudden we get an interest bill for over $500. Naturally I call Synchrony and get a person I can’t even understand and she tells me that my payments are being equally divided between the two which is not what we were told at Ashley Furniture. She proceeded to tell me that I should’ve called to make sure but why would I call when Ashley HomeStore should know what they are talking about. I got mad and basically told them to come pick up the mattress and there was no response so I got off the phone with her and once I call down I called back again to see what we can do to fix this issue.

They continue to tell me that even if I pay the mattress in full they are not going to take off the interest which how do I accrued and just the two months that was passed the one-year. Now I’m wondering if I can even tell them how to allocate the funds that I pay and if I can even trust them to put my money where I would like it. I am scared to pay this company as I do not want to be out of money and continue to get charged the interest that I cannot afford. I feel very helpless especially when we tried to be responsible and get no interest and now it is backfiring on us because Synchrony is making sure that the money I pay is not going toward the one that we are being charged interest on.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Bad customer service. When I open the acct, I got six months interest free. I made my payments on time, after the six months I had lower my balance, then I noticed that I was charged all the interest for the last six months. Their interest is one of the highest! I will try my very best to avoid business with this company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have had the same experience as so many others - am a senior citizen, pay all bills in a timely fashion and HAD an 800+ credit score UNTIL this company sunk it. I HAD an account with a very high credit limit with them at a nice furniture store for years, always paid account to zero balance. Today I decided it was time for new living room furniture - unbeknownst to me my account was closed in June of this year by Synchrony “due to inactivity.” I called Synchrony - was told that I could reapply. REALLY? Who keeps a running balance at a furniture store? How often does one buy furniture?

I then decided to check the one other credit card that was financed by them (which has a zero balance) at a home improvement store - they recently lowered my credit to a mere $1000.00. I called both businesses with the belief that they would care how their customers were being treated - was I ever wrong. I was telling my daughter about it today - she had the very same experience with them. I will not do business with these retailers again nor will I ever do business with Synchrony again. My credit score has taken a serious hit because of their practices - I am livid!

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information