1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

693 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've had a Walmart Card for just over a year. I've paid early, MORE than the minimum payment required without issue...UNTIL...just before the New Year I went online to make my payment (4 days early). All seemed well, confirmation number, etc. as usual. January 11th, 2019 I get an email telling me that I didn't make my payment, blah, blah...WHAT? I promptly called the number only to discover this was 'collections!' It was evening, my bank was closed & there isn't a 24/7 Customer Service. Small town & I like my bank! :) I shared my confirmation number & the amount (well over the minimum payment required) but was harassed by the rep to make a payment immediately. I stated that I was concerned about potential hacking & couldn't make two payments when I had already made my payment. I promised once I investigated the issue with my bank I would promptly get back with them ASAP.

I kept my word, found that there was a conflict with my bank & their website after my bank upgraded their systems. I thought this could be quickly fixed. Encouraged, I contacted Synchrony Bank first thing in the morning. I had been slapped with a LATE FEE, RAISED MINIMUM REQUIRED PAYMENT & RUDE Customer Service in LESS than 24 hours even though I had in good faith PAID MY BILL on December 31st (payment being due on the 3rd of January)! I made the payment right with Synchrony Bank & explained the issue with the website & the bank system changes. I was NOT told that my credit limit had been drastically reduced as well.

My elderly mother got a flat tire. Thinking that I was alright now, I knew (or THOUGHT I knew) that I had more than enough good credit to help her. I got her tire replaced along with 2 new wiper blades (since bad weather was on the way) & proceeded to go to pay. My card was 'declined!' I was SHOCKED!!! I promptly called the card number & I was treated horribly. I re-explained the payment incident, reminded them that I've paid more than minimum, EARLY payments, etc. & the rep acted like I was some sort of deadbeat! I requested a supervisor who was much WORSE! I was able to check out using other funds but only after such humiliation & embarrassment!

After a rough day, I came home to further check on things only to discover that the credit drop by Synchrony Bank has lowered my credit score by 2 points! Is this what Synchrony Bank considers to be a type of "customer rewards" program for good, faithful customers?! (SARCASM for those who may need to be informed.) I will NEVER accept another credit offer without FIRST going online to check into the company (& YES, I read all the fine print, etc. but apparently Synchrony Bank has a different, more fine print in their playbook?). DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST, you'll thank yourself & all the reviewers online. :) CONSUMER BEWARE & BE INFORMED! I would also like to know WHY isn't there some regulatory institution looking into the corrupt practices of Synchrony Bank? There are certainly enough reviews/complaints to warrant it!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchase 2 phones from Google & took advantage of their 0% financing offer - not worth the hassle, wish I had just paid for the phone with cash. I never got the "card" they said they sent in the mail and you cannot make your 1st payment or login without it. They make it very hard to talk to a real person & once you do there is a language barrier and they are very poorly trained. With 4 days until my 1st payment was due, I could still not login to make a payment. It took 3 different sessions of chat plus an hour-long phone call with 4 different reps (they kept transferring me). Should not take over 2 hours to set up auto pay. Do not get me started on how useless their "virtual assistant" is. I think they do this on purpose so you miss payments and they can charge late fees - why else make it sooo hard to pay your bill?

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had an account with them a few years back. I do admit I was late on payments, and I was reported to the credit agencies. I ended up paying off my account of a little over $700. All was good. I printed it off and showed it to one of my credit agencies to clear it, and it was. I didn't get around to the other agencies. However, I noticed it later on that it said it still hadn't been paid off. I decided to finally move forward to clear it. When I signed in, that account was gone. No record of it. So I call to get some printout or something showing that it was paid off, so I can get it cleared from my credit. They told me they have no record of me paying for it and that I still owed money. They said my account was closed and there was no online documents.

I asked the guy what to do. He said I had to hand write a letter, requesting information. I asked him to email me the mailing address because I was driving and couldn't pull over to write. He stated that it was against policy to send me an email and that they monitor this. I asked him to hook me up and just send me the mailing address from his personal; he still wouldn't. Whatever, I'll hang up and figure it out. Here's the best part. At the point of the phone call, it had been over a year since I paid it off and logged in to that specific account. I never once heard from them. But since I called and brought this to their attention, they began harassing me almost EVERY DAY, looking for payment. Synchrony is dirty. Like most big business, they don't care about the people. I warn everyone that I can to avoid them if possible. They're horrible and have really messed up my credit!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

The CareCredit card is an unethical scam that preys on vulnerable people in need of assistance with their healthcare bills and ends up cheating them out of all the deferred interest they thought they were avoiding. If one is even one day late on the last payment, after paying in full on time for an entire year, the TOTAL DEFERRED INTEREST FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR becomes due. A warning about this does appear in the fine print on the statements, but Synchrony knows that most customers do not read the fine print, and would not expect such a draconian fee.

In addition, my final bill did not arrive in the mail in time to avoid this payment, a fact that I am very suspicious was intentional. This unfair, outrageous fee does not represent a severe hardship for me, but I worry about the lower income people who resort to this deceptive credit card to be able to afford needed healthcare. Synchrony Bank should be ashamed of itself, preying on the must vulnerable in society with these deceptive practices. They represent the worst of corporate greed and cynical disregard for the well-being of their customers. I hate this bank.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Consumers need to understand and realize how bad this bank is. Today, Saturday 1-12-19 I received my Amazon.com store card in the mail which is supported by the Synchrony Bank. Also in the mail was a letter from the same bank saying that when I called them I was to use this passcode for identity verification. I didn't quite understand that at first so I went to register my card online as a 1st time user. Even though a week ago I had updated my phone number with this company on the phone; when it came to the website it wanted to send a verification code to my 'old phone number.'

This being an impossible task I called customer service and the lady couldn't do anything about it and put me through to a different department. Here I got Jason who was a very polite gentleman and I explained the whole situation to him. After being put on hold he turned around and said, "I'm very sorry but after looking into this we have to send you out a code in the mail." I said, "Hang on, I got a code today" and I read it out to him. He put me on hold for quite some time and when he came back he said, "We cannot verify this code as it was never put into our system."

I said, "Let me get this straight, your company sent me a code to verify who I am and now that I'm trying to read the very code that your company sent to me, you're saying it's invalid! Forget about it - just cancel the card." He said, "Would you like to talk to my manager," I said, "You just spoke to your manager and there's nothing you can do about it." He replied, "Once you cancel you can never reapply again," I said, "Would you want to belong to a company that has treated you as bad as this." I told him that I'll be letting Consumer Affairs, the BBB and the Attorney General of their state know what has happened here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First, their interest rate was out of this world. Last I checked it was 28%. This is highway robbery. I decided to close this account realizing that I would never be able to pay it off, even when making more than the minimum payment. I called, got the payoff amount, negotiated paying only half of the outrageous interest and paid it in full. I confirmed with the agent that the account was closed. That was December 29th. On January 3rd, they let a charge go through on what was to be a closed account. It was for $45, I got a statement a few days later for $150. I went ballistic.

You let a charge go through on a closed account. It should have been rejected. I then called, refused to pay for their mistake and still paid them an additional $20. Then, they send me a bogus letter about an inquiry disputing the $45 that I supposedly requested. I did not. I told them in no uncertain terms that they were not getting another dime from me, I didn't request an inquiry for anything, and to never contact me about anything having to do with Synchrony bank again. They purposely did not close the account in an effort to get yet more money from me after I paid over $5000 and closed the account. They are scammers for sure. Don't fool with them. Just warning you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So I entered into a credit card promotion Amazon was running about a year ago and opted into this credit card. Upon approval I received a $600 spending limit. I used my first payment to finance a work out equipment for me and it was roughly $210. I opted to go for the 6 months no interest if paid in full. I was also right in the middle of moving to my current home when I did this and I updated all of my address information and made sure it was current. First month came and I completely forgot about making the timely payment and was only 10 days past due. I made the payment with a little extra.

Within 2 months they lowered my limit from $600 to $230 claiming they had to re run my credit after I was ten days past due and noticed my credit dropped around 10 points. (Mind you, I had just finished closing on my new house plus opted for this card... So yeah my credit wasn't going to just sit at the same level after having 2 hard credit checks.) They refused to raise the limit and claimed that I should take better care of my payments on time. Since then I have paid as agreed and used it going up and down. Here recently, last month in fact, I paid my balance down to around $30. And when I go on the website to check how the next payment will be I notice they lowered my balance again from $230 to $100.

What the Heck? No explanation, No email and nothing in the mail. Just a subtle lowering of my score and hard hit on my credit again. If this hadn't been for Amazon I would of canceled this card long ago. You can guarantee that once I pay this off I am canceling this card and will never do business with this shady corporation ever again and I strongly urge you to steer clear of them as well. They are not worth it and are borderline fraudulent. I hope this has been helpful for anyone considering this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I called this morning to verify my account to see if I could have my animals taken to the vet and sewn back up. I was assured by an agent by the name of James that all we would have to do is call in since I didn’t have access to the card. We called in. Access was denied. My dog died. I am now suing Synchrony Bank for fraud.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Most credit card companies value the customer first, but this institution was less than helpful. I had signed up for an interest free promotion. I set my account up for auto-debit. When the promotion came due, the account was not properly auto-debited, and the bank charged $400 on a $900 balance. The balance was paid the following month after the payment showed up, but they were not flexible on anything.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

This company should be investigated! They are horrible. Have never missed a payment with any of my cards, but yet and again they continue to pull my credit. Took my JCP from $1900.00 to $400.00 and then out of the blue closed my account. Same thing with TJ Maxx, QVC, Walmart. Waiting for them to close them as well. The only way I’d found out was through my alerts with Experian. When you call their customer service it is of no help. And of course they are in another country. What the heck they care about you are asking them. And then they have the nerve to say thank you for being a valued customer. THIS CARD SERVICE IS HORRIBLE! PLEASE SOMEONE INVESTIGATE THEM! They are lucky they got a one star rating. They don’t even deserve that!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I'm on my second loan for dental work. I paid off my first on time so tried again. This time after a month they tell me I'm late and hit my credit report. Now they say I have a monthly minimum of $125.00. I had no monthly minimum on my first loan and none was mentioned on my second. They have now reduced my limit to what I have borrowed so I am maxed out. My other cards are reducing my limits now. My agreement was to pay it off in 18 months. No monthly minimum was ever mentioned. Now they are driving my credit score down. I paid $1500 to get them to back off but it only counted as one month and they are back harassing me at night to make a minimum payment. Two weeks after I made a year's worth of payments! Do not use these CROOKS!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My Synchrony Bank Mastercard account was taken over by someone calling by telephone about 3 months ago. The person calling was challenged with and correctly supplied my mother's maiden name, which is fairly easily found on the Internet. Synchrony then allowed this person to change my mother's maiden name, thus locking me out of my account! The person also changed my mailing address and charged about $8600 at an online music store. When I contacted Synchrony's fraud department, they wouldn't talk to me because I couldn't supply the "correct" maiden name of my mother. After three days, I was able to regain control of my account and change my mother's maiden name back.

To this day, Synchrony cannot explain why they 1) would let someone change my mother's maiden name and 2) will not let me use another security question to which the answer is less obvious. I have complained to both Synchrony Bank management and the US Consumer Financial Protection about this security flaw. Synchrony has plenty of excuses but no solutions. Bottom line is that this same thing can happen again at any time. Synchrony Bank cardholders beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My bank transitioned and was taken over and a payment was missed. The ONLY one ever and I pay my account in full every month. I tried at first, to politely rectify the situation with Synchrony's customer service. Disgusted with that. They were unhelpful, dismissive and could care less whether you have excellent credit or not. I also have a theory that, because I did all of my purchasing through that card on Amazon and paid it off each month, they maybe didn't like my 5% back payments because, I have to say, that was a plus. I can't say what I'd like them to do with their card, but I will be happy to continue using Amazon without their card.

Be warned, they do NOT care about you and they will not make any effort to rectify a situation that is quite clearly, a technical glitch. I do not recommend this card at all. I did also follow up with Amazon via chat to express my dissatisfaction. Maybe if enough people do that, they will reconsider other better credit card options for their loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Based on the reviews I’ve read this bank is a very bad one. I’ve had a Sam's Club (MC) cc. I’ve been on top of keeping it paid. Well I did fall on some hard times. The next thing I know they send me a letter in the mail saying crap like, "We can sue you" etc. Then in Dec of last year Synchrony Bank sent my account to Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. Based out of Norfolk VA. I've never heard anything great about them either. So I’m going to pay off the balance in full just to get them out of my hair once & for all. I know to keep track of it when I pay it off in full. Based on what I read here Synchrony Bank is bad news. I wished I would have known this before I ever got myself mixed up with this screwed up outfit. Oh well you live & learn.

Then I had a J.C. Penny cc. Well I’ve only used it once & paid it off in full. The next thing I know I get a letter in the mail saying, "We closed your J.C. Penny account." So I told them to take that card & shove it. Lowe’s the same way. I got tired of their (bs). As everyone knows they carry a high interest rate. My advice to all is to avoid Synchrony Bank altogether. I’ve paid off my Lowe’s cc in full. I’ll never ever ever deal Synchrony Bank again. They have ruined my credit & score. They should be brought up charges. The problems that Synchrony Bank has caused. I’ve had enough of their crap. They nothing more than a bunch money suckers.

I’m also going to forwarn everyone. I was in Fred Meyer Jewelers just looking. The manager asked me if I wanted a new cc with Fred Meyer. I said not this time. Luckily I didn’t. Come to find out their credit issuer is none other than Synchrony Bank. If I have to buy something there it’s either going to be cash or I use My Credit card issued by my credit union. Credit unions are far better than Synchrony Bank. My credit union issued cc has better & lower rates. Synchrony Bank won’t get anymore of my business. I’m done with them. Just beware if you shop at Fred Meyer Jewelers. Don’t get their in store card due to high interest rates. It will be like a prison sentence. The same goes for Sam's & Lowe’s & J.C. Penny's etc. Shame on you Synchrony Bank.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If you are planning to obtain a credit card from a merchant that uses Synchrony, like Lowe's and a number of others, be very careful! As you have read from other complaints, this company borders on being fraudulent! I am 76 years old and have never, in my life, found another company with such poor Customer Service! With their way of doing business, you could have your credit ruined, they might even cause you to lose money. My wife told me today that she had some Credit Cards that were through Synchrony. I ask her to please close those accounts.

We had a Lowe's account with them until I realized that their interest rate was 26%. Shame on me for that and shame on them for not clearing my account right away when my bank sent them an electronic check. For what it is worth, I did file a report with BBB. BTW, if you ever need help from them, GOOD LUCK! You will get to talk to a person OFFSHORE who doesn't really understand the English language! Just BAD business.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had 6 5 year CD's with no early withdrawal penalty and am in the process of moving the $ to another institution. After I sent the forms in I called and asked them to send the $ by overnight mail. They closed all 6 accounts on 12-3-18 and my wife's 3 account $ arrived in time to be reinvested on 12-6-18. My account which was larger has still not arrived at the new institution. Called Synchrony and they said the check did not go out until 12-7-18 and it must have gone regular mail. As of 12-13-18 the new institution still does not have it. I have lost $125 in interest thru today. Don't know if this someone making a mistake or them trying to make a little more $ at my expense.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I finally paid off my CareCredit credit card and then they closed it out. As far as I am concerned all Synchrony Bank does is screw your credit up. I have a bunch of different credit cards and they are by far the worst. Everyone has issues from time to time. They kick you when your down. They are the only company I know to lower your credit limit and then close you down. All other companies work with you and help you - not them. They make it worse. Do your self a favor and never open an account with them. You will regret it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I signed up with this credit card with the idea to pay it off in the 6 months interest free. As soon as I got the card I received a 10 dollar card security fee. This was only the start. I soon got a notice that I missed my first bill of minimum of 30 dollars of 574 that I paid for tires. I was unable to find a notice of my November bill in my email. Could have been misplaced. I now have a second bill with 66 dollar min., 2 dollars in interest charges, 10.16 in card security again and 27 on a late fee. Before my second bill has been due I paid for the whole card due to the fact the 574 jumped to 623. This is not a card you want.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Opened a credit card to purchase furniture on a deferred interest program. Monthly payment amount is much higher than it should be. When questioned they have no straight answer and say they will review. The numbers they are using are completely off and they keep saying it takes up to 2 months to correct. Until then I am required to make payments to keep my account in good order. How many people are they doing this too and collecting extra money? What a joke. Can't get it resolved and getting very frustrated. I work in retail and use similar companies all the time. Have had ZERO issues with other stand up financing companies. This one, not so much.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I am very displeased with this companies and the deferred interest policy on purchases with Amazon Store Card. What is not clearly understood is that if you do not pay the balance off during to promotional period, the interest is retroactive back to the original purchase date at 27.99%. So for those that make a large purchase and can't pay off the balance before the promotional period ends expect a huge jump in your Balance owed and it all interest. The real harm is the multiple ways they set up how your payments are applied during the promotional period. They offer options to pay non-deferred balance before deferred balance which is selectable but defaults to non-deferred balance. This almost guarantees that you will get charge the full retroactive interest rate if you do not select pay deferred balance interest first. I suggest you do not use this company unless you are paying all balance off before promotional balance expires.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had a Walmart CC through Synchrony Financial. My credit limit was $200 which I paid off every month, never late. I had a problem with my direct deposit and some items were returned due to the error, my bank didn't charge me NSF fees. Synchrony re-submitted the payments and they were paid. Then they closed my account even though I was in excellent standing and refused to allow me to submit proof from my employer and the bank it was their error. When I called, they told me there was absolutely nothing I could do to reopen my account so I took a ding on my credit for $200. Pissed is putting it lightly.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My son passed away September 5, 2018. He left NO estate, NO money, NO nothing. He had several accounts open financing a car, furniture for a rented apartment, and credit cards. So far, all card companies have closed accounts and not hassled me. The car was repoed. That finance co has been dealt with.

Synchrony is being a horrid pain. They have sent mail and been told twice that there is no estate for paying this card bill. I want them to cease and desist and leave me alone to grieve in peace.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Reading here, I am not the only one. No surprise. They dropped my gas card to $50 limit preemptively because I was having trouble with the bigger cards. I never was late and never missed paying the gas. This limit doesn't even fill up my tank once, so how helpful is this.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Started out with a 1200.00 limit. It went to 250.00 for NO reason at all. Now to $100.00. On another card of theirs... CareCredit, it started at 500.00 and went to $200.00, again for NO reason. I have always paid them on time. I hate them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My husband and I financed a Sleep Number bed with Synchrony Bank. A monthly payment was set up on auto pay. This bed was purchased in September 2018, mainly because my husband had some health issues. He was a Vietnam vet and a first responder to 9/11. The first auto pay went through as normal for the month of October 2018.

Unfortunately, my husband passed away due to the related issues from 9/11. He passed away November 6, 2018 and unbeknown to me somehow Synchrony Bank was made aware through his social security number and on November 16, 2018 they attempted to debit the entire amount of the 60 month finance in full, at once.

When I called the customer service line and said I was calling in regard to the Sleep Number finance agreement and my husband had passed away they transferred me to what they call the “deceased account department”. While on hold a recording comes on specifically stating, "Please know that your family will not be responsible for any balances due given your loss etc." That is because they go into your account and attempt to withdraw the entire amount without even knowing if your family has paid for the funeral!

After speaking with a representative there and explaining what took place they claimed to have “not known what happened”. It was on record that they attempted to withdraw the entire amount but didn’t know why? It is bad enough for me to have to deal with the loss of my husband but then to have such a despicable and unethical thing done to a family during their time of loss without not even one phone call to me and ask if there can be additional arrangements made for the financing or at least until wait the next payment was due to see if the account would have even gone into default in the first place (which it would not have).

I still don’t have answers after also being charged from my personal bank for this unauthorized debit attempt of over $8000.00 by the way, an insufficient fund fee just to add insult to my injury. The representative had no answer and I was told to call back in four to six weeks to see what that answer might be. I strongly recommend if you were to finance anything at all, NOT to use a company that has such dishonest and unconscionable business tactics such as Synchrony Bank.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We've been faithful customers for quite a few years now. Each month the minimum is paid on time the next month's minimum is reduced slightly. They offer special deals if one pays the account off during a specified time frame. However, the payments are at times not posted for days. This month it caused one payment to be a single day late (I had paid it days earlier), so they tacked on a late charge. When I called them on it I received a sing-song song and dance word for word of the policy, then got the contact to drop the late fee. However, since I never take advantage of the "deal," the contact told me that my minimum payment was now increased from $55 to $86 a month. When one is consistent on payments and does not add charges the payment is supposed to stay the same or decrease. To me this is a scam operation.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I just opened a Sam's Club card with Synchrony bank. I got the card in the mail, activated it and started making purchases. The card was suspended by fraud dept. I called and was told there was NO way my account could be authenticated. Not via email not via telephone text. They forced me to wait 10 days to get a code in the mail. The rep and manager that I asked for were RUDE and were in a foreign country and I couldn't understand them. Not helpful at all! Then I called back once I received my code to unrestrict my account and was told that this could happen again. This card is NOT DEPENDABLE and their security process needs improvement. May cancel my card after reading all these negative reviews!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Can't log in after having made previous successful payments. Customer service rep rude. Escalated to manager who required that I erase all cookies on my computer so that their program could work - which I declined to do. Went in and erased all Synchrony cookies and was able to get in. Now I seem to have to do that every time I need to make a payment. They have made their problem become my problem and life is too short for that. I'm paying this off and getting outta here!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

This is a corrupt credit card company and need to be shut down. They reduce credit limits even though pay on time and hurt credit scores. They are a complete scam and not sure why they are not investigated especially with poor customer service tactics and non-English speaking jerks.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My son got this CC with some special offers, and owed them about $8000 a year ago on this card. Never missed payment. Now he owes them over $9000. He has to pay every month $150 interest on $300 payment. Once he had almost $2000 interest, and once $900 interest. Great SPECIAL OFFERS!!! Wander how far they go?

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information