1.02/5
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)

624 Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Open a credit card through Synchrony Financial to buy furniture from Ashley HomeStores and we were told to get the best deal to put most of our furniture on one statement and the mattress that we bought another statement. The mattress that we bought had 12 months no interest not deferred and the other bigger portion had 72 months. We were told that our payments would be going to the mattress first for the first year and once that was paid off in the first year our payment would drop and it would start going toward the one with the longer-term.

Well it’s been a year and all of a sudden we get an interest bill for over $500. Naturally I call Synchrony and get a person I can’t even understand and she tells me that my payments are being equally divided between the two which is not what we were told at Ashley Furniture. She proceeded to tell me that I should’ve called to make sure but why would I call when Ashley HomeStore should know what they are talking about. I got mad and basically told them to come pick up the mattress and there was no response so I got off the phone with her and once I call down I called back again to see what we can do to fix this issue.

They continue to tell me that even if I pay the mattress in full they are not going to take off the interest which how do I accrued and just the two months that was passed the one-year. Now I’m wondering if I can even tell them how to allocate the funds that I pay and if I can even trust them to put my money where I would like it. I am scared to pay this company as I do not want to be out of money and continue to get charged the interest that I cannot afford. I feel very helpless especially when we tried to be responsible and get no interest and now it is backfiring on us because Synchrony is making sure that the money I pay is not going toward the one that we are being charged interest on.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Bad customer service. When I open the acct, I got six months interest free. I made my payments on time, after the six months I had lower my balance, then I noticed that I was charged all the interest for the last six months. Their interest is one of the highest! I will try my very best to avoid business with this company.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have had the same experience as so many others - am a senior citizen, pay all bills in a timely fashion and HAD an 800+ credit score UNTIL this company sunk it. I HAD an account with a very high credit limit with them at a nice furniture store for years, always paid account to zero balance. Today I decided it was time for new living room furniture - unbeknownst to me my account was closed in June of this year by Synchrony “due to inactivity.” I called Synchrony - was told that I could reapply. REALLY? Who keeps a running balance at a furniture store? How often does one buy furniture?

I then decided to check the one other credit card that was financed by them (which has a zero balance) at a home improvement store - they recently lowered my credit to a mere $1000.00. I called both businesses with the belief that they would care how their customers were being treated - was I ever wrong. I was telling my daughter about it today - she had the very same experience with them. I will not do business with these retailers again nor will I ever do business with Synchrony again. My credit score has taken a serious hit because of their practices - I am livid!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Synchrony Bank handles the Sam's Club credit card. I advise everyone to stay away from this 3rd party. I have paid this account on time for years and all of a sudden my credit limit was lowered just out of the blue. I called to inquire and got the rudest spokesperson who told me nothing other than they review the accounts periodically and adjust the limits as needed. I do not have anywhere near the max on the card, have paid on time, as with my other accounts. I would never do business with Synchrony Bank again after seeing these reviews posted here. I totally understand what the others are saying about Synchrony Bank. If I know that they are involved with backing a company's credit card I will not do business with the company on credit.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Customer service was the worst I've ever experienced with any credit card company. I had a legitimate concern and to the extent I tried to explain my concern, I was met with the most arrogant and condescending tone, EVER! It is not only inexcusable to be blatantly rude but I'm done giving CareCredit my business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have 9 total accounts with them and they're connected to the same email address. On 2 of the accounts they send 50.00 off a purchase of 250.00 or more as a promotion here and there. I informed them before that they're sending them to the wrong email address and they verified the correct email but yet again they sent it to the wrong email address. I contacted them by phone and email 5 calls and 7 emails later still no results other than, "We are sorry for the inconvenience." Thankfully the only 2 cards with balances will be paid off in the next 2 months and then they're all getting closed.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This has been the worst customer service experience and customer satisfaction experience I have EVER dealt with. They kept forwarding me on to over 5 different people and my issue was NEVER resolved. I was completely shocked by after spending 45 minutes on the phone and talking to 5 different people that they could not even partially resolve my issue, which was totally feasible to do. Do not get a credit card through this company!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. This company handles the credit cards for Sam’s Club. On Sam’s Clubs website there was a promotion for $45 off your purchase if you opened a credit card. Why not... So on a major holiday I purchased a laptop and picked it up the following day. The first statement came and the $45 was not deducted. I called them and they said it would take 1-2 business cycles. I told them I was not going to pay any late fees because of this.

They said they would put a discrepancy in. So I sent them a check for the balance less the $45. I then get a letter saying my discrepancy was denied and they were not going to honor the $45 promotion. When I called I was told that it was because the credit card and the purchase were not made on the same day. Apparently they don't count it as a sale-post it, (unlike any other company) until what you purchase is picked up. I'm just glad I never activated the card. Who knows what else they would try.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

This company has reduced my credit on all my credit lines they have assumed and my husband's even though we pay perfectly and we paying them down! Now due to increased ratio of credit used on the accounts it has caused our credit rating to drop. This should be illegal. This company owes us most credit and should be policed!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Again "SYNCHRONY" has bullied me. I got a credit monitoring alert that my score changed. I signed on to check the change and it was Synchrony adding or updating late payments from about a year ago. I have late payments on all 3 reporting agencies and with different months... seems Synchrony has no clue what they are doing, My score dropped 70 points today because it took them a year to report or change the months on the report. Not only do they close your accounts and reduce credit limits they now access your report information 10-12 months after the fact and why?

The account was paid off by me and Synchrony no longer has a right to report or access my credit for this TJX line. I'm still amazed how TJX Synchrony pulled my BK from over 20 years ago (not on my credit report for over 19 years) and used it to determine my credit worthiness now. Every time I pay down my credit Cards with them they reduce my credit limit sometime making me go over what they reduce it to. This bank has some serious issues in the way they practice. I think they need to be investigated. I can't wait until all my cards are paid off with them. My suggestion is DO NOT do business with them. I will now contact an attorney for resolution... Class action suit anyone.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

All of my Synchrony Bank e-statements were bounced back as undeliverable. Got a letter in the mail for each account stating email not valid. I received every other statement from all other accounts. Synchrony is the only common denominator. Letters arrived past due date and charged me late charges on every account. Opened account pages online and the email address in every field was deleted by Synchrony. Very fishy.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Opened a new PayPal credit card issued by Synchrony Bank. Synchrony took a checking account and made it a default payment option without authorization. It’s like writing a check for a purchase at a store, applying for a credit card a year later at that store and then Synchrony using that checking account as a default payment account without your knowledge. They couldn’t explain it (account closed).

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Account was closed without warning. I called customer service to find out why. I was told due to prolonged inactivity the company can randomly close people's accounts. I got the card for emergencies, which I haven’t had. I was basically told that I’m out of luck & if I need it to please reapply. Probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My credit score is excellent and I always pay all my bills way before the due date. I try for Lowe's card. Here their reason: UNSATISFACTORY PAYMENT HISTORY WITH SYNCHRONY BANK. I ask professional advisor for help and what their decision was based on. First thing I did, I put on the application retire. Do have checking account and saving account. Was issue credit card for: Lowe's and QVC was approved. Had both of these cards and pay in good faith and "never" was late! I'm having issues logging into my online account.

Call their number. They said they will send me letter and form to fill out. When I received the letter: question that is weird on application for these cards put down retire. I cannot work cause of the rare type of cancer. They made decision and was no proof from IRS. I call Synchrony Financial and was recorded on the phone. I do not need to lie. I had the two credit cards. Never was late. That was their final decision. Both account was close down. They did tell me this: "If you want try again please do and you will be successful if you apply with us". Done this within 6 month. The answer is mention above in this note. My opinion that is discrimination against being retire plus my health from cancer!! One can try with Synchrony Financial. You can feel same results I did. There are many credits cards out there which does not deal with Synchrony Financial. Thank you for reading. God bless :)

Original review: July 30, 2018

They don't credit your payment so they can charge late fee and then you can't use the rewards because they won't credit your account with zero balance so you can use the card until the next billing cycle which then makes you lose the reward money that can only be used with this card.

Original review: July 30, 2018

It's nice to be approved for credit when you need things, however this company will choose to reduce your credit line or close your account without reason. If you are on a promotional rate, they will not notify you when the rate is about to expire and then will tack on interest from the date of purchase. They also disconnected all of my online accounts so I was unable to make payments online, then tacked on all these late fees even though I had always paid on time prior to them disconnecting my accounts. I do not have checks so I pay EVERYTHING online. This company is awful. All of my other credit accounts I am in good standing with and am even receiving credit increases.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Mavis Tires cobrands credit card purchases with Synchrony Bank by promising a $100 rebate for the purchase of tires when using their card. I made more than the minimum qualifying purchase and sent off the application and proof of purchase to Synchrony. Eight weeks pass and I decide to begin status inquiries. I am sent to a special website which displays only error messages after inputting my personal data. Three mode of communication are offered: phone, chat and email. ALL three are bogus. I then write directly to Synchrony sending copies of the application material and they tell me first to use the bogus website and then go complain to the Mavis store. Now my next step is to contact the regulators. Suggest to everyone I know, stay away from store branded cards that contract with Synchrony Bank as their credit card service.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have always paid my account on time more than minimum. I have had my credit limit lowered $1000! Now I can't even get necessities. I am so upset over this. I so wish PayPal had never gone to this bank. They are horrible! They gave me this credit limit, then just jerk it away. That is not right.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I received the first part of July opening a account with Synchrony Bank. I open a Lowe's account and a Amazon account. I opened both accounts online and was approved immediately to use them. I have purchase things with my Amazon account so there is a balance that needs to be paid. But I have not been able to use my Lowe's account. I attempted to both of those to make a purchase and was embarrassed to find out that my account was not open and it was under review. The same bank that issue me the Amazon allow me to use it and then they closed it as well Synchrony Bank. I have made numerous attempts to try to verify my identity. I've called numerous times customer service to try to verify my identity via telephone. And they denied me saying that my phones are voice over internet phones. Regardless of if the phones are voice over internet phones. I have no control of what carrier uses what system for the phones.

They have been giving me the run-around ever since I've been approved for this card. I've been dissatisfied and displeased with the customer service. I have never experienced anything like this with any other credit card company. My biggest mistake was opening online first and foremost. The second mistake was going with Lowe's. I should have stayed with Home Depot. Not to mention Amazon and the Lowe's account are already on my credit report. So I am displeased and absolutely disgusted with the way Synchrony Bank has been handling me as a new customer. Then to read all of the complaints against Synchrony Bank for all the customers complaining about the same issue that I am having right now. Is almost a great idea to start a class action lawsuit against Synchrony Bank.

I still have yet to receive my card. It's been 3 weeks since the incident inside a Lowe's store. Every time I call customer service it's always something different that I need to do to prove my identity but yet you are able to call me, send me letters and verify who I am when I call you with the provided you with the information. I think Synchrony Bank needs to put in some better for seizures and verify identity because it's very frustrating as a new customer they have to jump through hoops just to use a card that you already issued. Dissatisfied and really have no intentions of using the card if I ever get it. I would not recommend anyone to open anything or any cards or any services with Synchrony Bank.

Original review: July 24, 2018

They hold onto your money for at least a week. The funds are taken out of my bank immediately but it takes forever for the funds to be released in my PayPal account. To be fair, the department that handles my Amazon account posts within 2 days but for some reason the PayPal department is in desperate need of improvement.

Original review: July 21, 2018

They keep on lowering credit without explanation regardless of which service you go through (ex: Amazon, Lowe's). Say you get approved for $1000 credit line. You then purchase about $280. You pay on time, but don't buy additional items to save up for Christmas, birthday. If you wait too long, the attitude observed is, "Well, since they don't need that much credit, I'm just gonna reduce his/her credit line." It is outrageous and should be noted after being approved. I have never EVER had this problem with any other revolving account. And then once the account is closed, you will probably never get an account with them ever again regardless of your credit rating.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought furniture from a store name Couch Potato, the staff there was great! Synchrony mailed me my first bill and I paid EXTRA because I was given a certain time period with no interest. Synchrony never mailed me another bill after the first bill so I paid on the 11th 2 months down the line. 4 months passed without them sending me a bill so I called. I was told that my account was delinquent and that I owed late fees and interest was tacked on also. They also went on to tell me that my bill was due on the 5th, NOT the 11th.

For some reason, they have the wrong information (address phone number etc) for me and that they could not get a hold of me. I even called Synchrony after purchasing the furniture to ensure that my information was correct. This bank is robbing us blind and given the proof of these reviews I see that they have done this at a regular frequency. We must start a class action lawsuit against Synchrony NOW. I'm going to contact our news channel to get to the bottom of this. This is utterly unacceptable and dishonest.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I received a credit alert that my credit was updated. In reviewing it I saw that my Sam's Club account was closed, my 2 Walmart cards and my CareCredit had limits lowered. I called customer service to find out why. They read from a script and are of no help at all. I hung up frustrated, and began to look at reviews and lo and behold I was not alone!!! Apparently this is standard procedure for them. I called back to speak to a supervisor and even the supervisor was reading from a script and when I asked for corporate information I was given a PO Box address and told there are no specific people in charge.

I again went online and found the CEO's name and email address and sent a letter to her. I have yet to hear back. They have single handedly harmed my chances for a home purchase or a car or anything else requiring a good credit history. These accounts were either paid off or in good standing as far as payment history - so Synchrony Bank sucks and their policy is if you pay your bills on time or in full and remain a good customer you are in line to get screwed by them.

Original review: July 19, 2018

It is the worst! I paid almost half mine off! They lowered my credit! I have never been late or missed a payment! I have always paid a little extra! When I called I was told they could do that! What the hell!!! What a crock of **! Customer Service was reading from a script! "You will get a letter!" You lowered my credit and I will get a letter! Why!

Original review: July 17, 2018

We opened up an account to purchase appliances being told they were "interest free" not interest deferred. Less than a year later, they tacked on back interest. Then, charged us a late fee on a payment that was five days early and reporting falsely on our credit report. We have made numerous attempts to call and talk to them. They just give us a runaround but never correct anything. Would not recommend them and would like to contact Consumer Affairs to see if we could get assistance on resolving this issue.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We had a few different accounts for stores and they were all through Synchrony Bank. We bought a couch and dinette set at Furniture Fair and paid it off. Then suddenly 2 months later they closed that account because of a change in credit score. The credit score change was because they decreased the available credit on the JCPenney card without notifying us. That was decreased because they had decreased the Walmart account credit availability. All of these accounts were or are paid on time with extra money, we dont make minimum payments. This company virtually sunk our credit score by about 80 points with their ridiculous shenanigans with the cards. As soon as I can pay them off I will close all of them. When I asked why they did this they said, "Well we do a routine credit report..." Ok I understand that but when you can see that your institution is what is causing the score to go down thats wrong. RUN FROM THEM.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Synchrony Bank is consistently reducing credit and closing accounts when they're paid. They have destroyed my credit rating. I suggest to anyone applying for credit, if it's Synchrony Bank run as fast as can... They suck and should be investigated. They destroy your credit when they close accounts and reduced credit. Do not be suckered in.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My fiancé and I want to buy a house, so I’m looking to increase my credit score and lower my debt to income ratio. I paid my TJX card off in full to start with the snowball effect (pay off the lowest balances first) and the next day, Synchrony cut my limit in half. I have never missed a payment and almost every time I have paid above the minimum payment. I’m afraid this could negatively affect my score, and now the limit is so low I can barely use it. Fixing credit is a monstrous task, and honestly, who punished someone for being a responsible cardholder?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I keep making payments, they keep rejecting the payments for some reason and charging me a late fee even though I know I have the money in my account. I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else. I feel we should do a class action lawsuit as someone else suggested.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was a loyal customer since 2010, but noticed recently that they changed banks/rules. I noticed when I received my statement balance for the month which was $32. The minimum monthly payment was $29 which seemed odd as that was over 90% of the balance. I spoke to a rep who told me "that's the new rules", so I decided to stop using this card and fill up elsewhere. I log in on the due date to pay my $32 bill only to notice that it's now $81. They added a late fee + interest charges even though I was paying on the due date. My $32 bill was now $81. I contacted their customer service and not zero help. Each rep kept passing the buck and/or telling me "that's the way it is". I would steer clear of this credit card. I closed my account and will no longer be doing any business with them. I'll fill up elsewhere using other credit cards who don't try to rob its customers.

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit) Company Information

www.synchronyfinancial.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business