2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

After covid they decided to lower my credit limit which hurt my credit score. It made it look like I had overspent on my limit, so I made a BBB complaint on them. They decided to do it again in the last month so my credit keeps going down because they keep lowering my limit below what I owe. Don't get an account with this company!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

In September, they gave me a credit limit of $3000. I’ve paid my balance on time every month. I pay well over minimum because I’m paying it off in a year to avoid interest. Well, I got my balance down and today the credit bureau told me my score decreased. I didn’t understand. I go to look at synchrony bank randomly and without warning or cause decreased my credit limit and now it looks as if my credit card is MAXED OUT!!! They didn’t even inform me. Stay away from this bank this is the type of bank that THRIVES in taking down Americans' financial stability.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I bought a treadmill from Amazon, and requested 6 equal payments. We were charged the full amount, not a payment. Solution from the bank: "Can't change it, return the treadmill and reorder." Not a solution.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

This company separates interest free “promotions” without clarity or alerts even when you have opted in for alerts. I was charged almost a thousand dollars extra for my pets surgery due to unclear promotional time frame splits for a single incident. When I called and waited for a supervisor, they offered no remediation or concern. I immediately paid off the full balance and cancelled this card. Do NOT recommend this institution which feels dishonest with complexity on interest promotions to consumers.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

This credit card has been paid what I owe - but they did not pay Verizon the money I paid to them to pay for my phone bill for at least four months! I paid -in full- my Verizon bill on this credit card (Verizon suggested I use - in order to get $10.00 per line discount on my phone bill). I receive notice my phone was turned off for failure to pay. I can’t seem to get any help- only lip service for Synchrony agents!

When calling for help, the agents pass you from one person to the next - never answering the issues at hand. I was put on hold for extreme lengths of time- just to forwarded to someone else who is just as UNHELPFUL as the agents before! The information they state to me doesn’t match what other agents have stated to me. I can’t seem to get a clear answer as to why they have not paid Verizon like they are suppose to! I would NEVER recommend this institution for banking!! They have really messed things up- and cannot account for my money and the responsibilities they have/had to pay Verizon the money I paid to them for my bill. Choose a different bank!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Synchrony is everywhere now and is making PayPal look like fools. I think this operation is run by criminals. PayPal used to back you up and now since Synchrony is involved China is getting more support than United States citizens. Chinese con artists are all over the internet and ripping off Americans every day and financial institutions are not doing anything to help people. They are in bed with China. This is my opinion from what I have seen change in the last few years. PayPal used to back you up and now they sell out to anybody who can pay like China. This is a sad day for Paypal and Synchrony and I think Synchrony is the problem. PayPal was never like this before. Thank God I paid off my Paypal account and I just paid off another Synchrony account and have one more to go and that should happen in the next 30 days. BYE BYE CROOKS!!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I have Sam’s Club MasterCard issued thru Synchrony Bank. I just had fraud on my acct not much few hundred. I also reported fraud to bank and I contacted companies also to explain. The companies credited voluntarily the fraud. Today I go to use my card at pump it’s declined. I call bank. They tell me internal risk factor. What is that! My credit score is 750. I had many cards with synchrony bank all were closed today. I had built up rewards on some cards and now I am told those monies are forfeited, even though they were earned for 2020 to be paid in one week. I feel robbed by the bank I trusted. I feel this is a horrible thing to do during a pandemic to people. I pay my bills never late etc, I don’t finance with them.

I hope others see this and make complaints to Consumer Protection Services. It’s a federal watchdog who helps to resolve issues. Online many people now are being abused by this dishonest and evil practice of synchrony bank. I don’t know who owns that bank but maybe we should all boycott synchrony bank and force companies to cancel them as they are cancelling us. I am doing this to reach out and ask everyone to file complaints that synchrony bank does this too. Also complain to businesses that have their cards that synchrony cancelled. Maybe we can force by numbers the companies to choose a better bank to issue those company credit cards in the future. Meanwhile everyone cancel your credit cards with synchrony bank and take back control of our credit.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I have no late payments, all accounts are current. Synchrony chooses to reduce credit limits. Close "0" balance accounts. This has decreased my credit score 75 points. They approve credit cards at one amount and then reduce them. Showing your credit available being maxed out. When you pay them off, zero balance. They close the card. They are destroying my credit. Do not take any accounts associated with this company. I have most of mine paid off and my credit is still in bad standing, thanks to this company.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

The credit company took my 2000 credit limit to 250. During the pandemic, I paid one month of 250 to lower my bill. My statement came out my credit limit was 250. Paid on time, no late payments and I'm treated like a poor customer. And the customer service lie to you and tell you that your credit score must have went down. No. You did it. Bc now its looks like my credit is 50% instead of 15% on my credit report. Then she hung up on me. It just sad how this company treat people.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have had an Amazon store card by Synchrony for 5 plus years I have never missed a payment and I have always paid more than the minimum payment. They have decreased my credit limit twice, both times it has hurt my credit score. This bank/financial company has hurt my credit score. When I called in the person I talked to said that they can reduce your limit at their discretion. They never raise your limit unless they can do a hard inquiry on your credit which can also hurt your credit score. Yes I carry several cards with high limit, I pay over the minimum and always on time. I have paid them off and then used them again, never out of a balance that I feel that I couldn't pay for.

This bank/ financial company feels that I am over extended. I don't feel that they have that right. That is none of their business. I could understand if my payments were late or just minimum. But they haven't been in 5 plus years. Please reconsider using alternative banks or charge cards. THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HELP YOUR CREDIT SCORE.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com