Synchrony Financial

formerly GE CareCredit

1.2/5 (97 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Synchrony Financial

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: June 16, 2022

NEVER AGAIN will I ever do business with ANY business that has credit issued through Synchrony!!!! I discovered today (as I received no notice at all of any kind) that EVERY single account I have that was issued by Synchrony has been closed! Mind you, my FICO is about 770, so it isn't that I have bad credit. Nor have I ever been late on so much as one payment. In fact, the majority of the accounts I had through them, for various retailers from Lowe's, Guitar Center, E-Bay, Chevron/Texaco, Harbor Freight, etc... were at a 0 balance and had been at that balance for months! They lure you in to opening these retailer specific credit cards with offers of special financing and discounts, only to pull this kind of stunt on you later, after you have been an EXCELLENT customer for YEARS!

We are soon to sell our house, so I wanted all my credit paid off and my FICO as high as possible in anticipation of our move. Their cancelation of nearly two dozen different accounts is going to damage my credit beyond repair!!!! AND I DID NOTHING TO DESERVE THIS!!!! WARNING! Buyer beware. I will be posting this warning EVERYWHERE on the web so others do not screwed by Synchrony as I have now been. If you do a little looking, you will see similar stories to mine (and I mean, MANY) are all over the web! Just look at their Twitter and Facebook pages!

Original review: June 12, 2022

I have several credit cards with Synchrony Financial including Amazon, Care Credit, Sam 's Club and all cards are closed. I called and their agent stated close because of dishonored payments. I use After pay to buy clothes and whatever I need. By Synchrony Financial doing this they did me a favor. I am looking forward to paying them off so I can move forward to buy a home. Can't have too much credit, need to be below 30%. It was good when I had them.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Please beware of this card! If any furniture or any other company offers interest free financing by way of Synchrony Home or any other Synchrony designed or dedicated financing don't waste your time and you may want to either pay for your purchase in full or just run as quick as you can to a company with more reputable finance options. Synchrony's statements are a lot like Verizon Wireless bills! There's going to be some extra charges but they're really hoping you don't look. Their customer service reps are no help as they just keep transferring you up the ladder always hoping, my opinion, that you'll eventually hang up. Truly a nightmare, trainwreck of a company. SMH

Original review: June 5, 2022

I was with Synchrony Bank for many years. Had 100% on time lower than 30% usage. They canceled all of my accounts for no reason out of nowhere and tripled my minimum payments. I had well over $100,000 of credit between the eight accounts with only about 27000 used. They decided for no reason to shut everything down and then tripled my payments. I almost can’t make the minimum payments and I have zero options. When I call to try to reduce payments they give me the runaround and hang up on me. I was told that if I try to file bankruptcy or use a consolidation program they would sue me. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Stay as far away from these unethical loan sharks as you can.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I was partway through an application over the phone with a live agent on the phone for the Care Credit Card. I was asked if it was okay to run my credit, to which I answered that I would like to place my application on hold until I consulted with my home loan officer. I specifically asked to place my application on hold until I called back to continue the process for the Synchrony Health Services Credit Account. An hour later I receive an email notification that they made a hard inquiry on my credit. Safe to say I will not be using Synchrony in the future and I would caution anyone against using Synchrony unless you like dealing with a shady company who will run your credit and make a hard inquiry WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Synchrony Bank closed multiple trade/credit card accounts of mine without cause. My credit score is in the mid-700’s, never missed a payment. In fact, paid off all balances early, causing Synchrony to be unable to charge deferred interest or fees. They’ve closed my Ashley Home, Mattress Warehouse, Haverty’s Furniture and Lowe’s accounts. Appreciate the use of their money at no cost to me. Luckily, BP Gas has changed their credit issuer. Otherwise, I’d be cancelling that card, too. Stay away from Synchrony if at all possible!!!

Original review: May 19, 2022

I changed my mobile phone number. I updated it on the Synchrony bank website for my savings account. The next time I try to login, I'm prompted to verify using my phone number. There were 6 old phone numbers in the drop-down box. But the phone number I just added to my account 2 weeks earlier was not listed. So I couldn't login to my account.

This has happened to me in the past. The Synchrony agent said my new phone hasn't been verified yet. What? Every other bank and credit card company let me change my phone number online and I could use it to login immediately. Not Synchrony. The agent said my new phone would be added in 2 months. Really? I can't access my account for 2 months? To make matters worse, the agent rudely talked over me several times. Account closed. Don't risk getting locked out of your account for 2 months just because you change your phone number.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Wait times on hold are ridiculously long. I waited 35 minutes to get someone for a simple question and was put on hold for another 15 minutes! After that she said that she needed to refer me to another department but that her computer was down so I would have to call back. This isn’t the first time I’ve had problems with them, their customer service is in the toilet and I’m pulling my money out as soon as my CDs mature.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Poor and rude customer service they have. I disputed a charge and this so called dispute department never did any due diligence to the case but only asked me to contact merchant which I did but wasn’t getting any reply from this merchant for almost a year till I closed my account with them and they didn’t care how long have been with them. Never wealth anyone’s business.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I had a card with Paypal that I cultivated over time to a 10,000 limit. This took much work, saving, and good credit habits on my part. Paying bills on time, and being responsible. Because I paid off the balance of my PayPal credit, and not used it for a while. They (Synchrony) saw fit to cut my limit from 10,000 to 1,500. We as customers should not stand for this. Let us start speaking with our wallets. Anyone who reads this review STAY AWAY FROM SYNCHRONY BANK IN ANY CAPACITY. Let this be a lesson to you. These big companies think they can do what they want. Let us show them with our wallets. Anyone who has had this done to them tell someone else. Until they are begging for business, and ready to change these unfair practices.

Original review: April 28, 2022

All the comments I read so far on this site seem so unfair to the users. Synchrony Bank is one messed up bank. They will provide mostly low limit cards, and then screw with you when you use it, or never use it. With that said I just became a new Verizon customer, and opted for the Synchrony Verizon Visa, targeted to customers only. My God, it is beautiful, solid heavy Black Metal, FedEx brings it to you, you are supposed to follow the Video link on how to unbox this incredible offering. Plus they had no problem with a $6000 limit, most of my Synchrony cards are under $1000. Did I mention the Verizon Visa offers 4% off Gas, and 4% off of Groceries and Restaurants including Fast Food. Plus 2% off your Verizon bill, and 1% off everything else. Also a $100 bonus paid over 24 months. I will never apply for another Synchrony Bank product again, what they do is criminal, but this Card is outrageous!

Original review: April 22, 2022

Don't waste your time with Synchrony. I had an Amazon credit card for almost 4 years with no issues until recently. I've never missed a payment and I use the card regularly. My credit score has improved. My financial situation hasn't changed. I haven't made any big purchases. But for some reason, they decided to cut my limit to less than half of what I've had for 4 years. I called and there's nothing they can do. They decreased my limit to basically my balance so now my credit report looks like I have a maxed out card. This is apparently common with Synchrony. Do NOT apply for any store cards backed by Synchrony!

Original review: April 17, 2022

I am experiencing the same as all of you above and believe it time to do something as a whole to stop their fraudulent criminal escapades. We need to stick together and sue them for everything they have done criminally. I am done with them and I will see how successful I am in moving my balance to a reliable credit card. I will let you all know but right now I am pissed off and if my credit is affected with do what is necessary to further proceed with getting the big guys onto their scam. Enough is enough! No star rating as all of you, it's rather comical we are forced to leave one star to submit a review.

Original review: April 17, 2022

My credit score is over 800...and in all my many years of having credit cards I have NEVER had a bank lower my credit limit. This bank has now done it to me twice - once with Amazon's card and once with PayPal credit. I will NEVER use the cards and NEVER open another account with them. When I called - upset - their attitude could not have been worse. What a crappy organization.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I was under the impression I had 0% financing on the balance and had no idea interest would accrue from the day it started if I didn't pay it off by a certain date. I was hit with over 500 dollars interest and was just 2 weeks late on paying off my balance and asked them since balance is paid off and only 2 weeks late can they help me because of the misunderstanding. They refused to help me in any way even though my payments are all on time. Bloodsucking, I thought interest deferred loans were banned in 2009. Reputable companies don't use them anymore because they are deceptive and wrong.

Original review: April 15, 2022

A customer purchased $1493.72 in merchandise and signed for it in good condition. Two months later she told Synchrony the bed ($587.65) was damaged when she opened. They refunded the entire amount and won't call me back.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Went on CareCredit and chose the Prequalify option- it states “see if you prequalify without impacting your credit score”. Long story short, after inputting my information a message comes up & says I need to call, which I do. The lady tells me they need to verify my identity before I can continue with the process. She says I need to go to verify.syf.com. I do, I follow the procedures & when I get to the part about taking a picture of the barcode on my DL it’s blurry & every attempt I made I was told it wouldn’t process.

Then I get a message to call another # due to the problem. I’m informed that my application was denied! What application? I was told I needed to have my identity verified to continue to be able to proceed with the pre qualification. Then I see that I have an email from credit karma that says I have a hard credit hit from Synchrony Bank! WHAT! Why did they pull my credit when I picked the Prequalify tab, & do it without verifying my identity!!!! I’m livid, & the call to SB resulted in nothing but horrible customer service. Never again.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I had a Lowe’s card through Synchrony Bank. I ordered a big ticket item through the card, an item that never arrived. Synchrony kept sending me bills even though I called them and told them I had not received the item. I officially opened a dispute, yet they continued to bill me, adding late fees and interest. I was in contact with them more than 10 times to resolve this issue. Rather than resolve it, they reported me to the credit bureau for not paying for an item that I never had possession of, negatively impacting my credit score.

When I called Synchrony about this, they admitted over the phone that I had done nothing wrong, yet when I opened a dispute with Experian over the negative impact on my credit score, Synchrony denied that they were wrong. What they did was illegal. Once a consumer files a formal dispute, the company is to stop billing you, stop adding charges, and is not to report you to the credit bureau.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I'm going to keep it simple and plain. Stay away from this "bank". For some ungodly reason, it takes 2 weeks for any payments to post to your account. I thought that this was something that usually happens to a new customer to establish trust but no. I have been with the bank for over a year now. My current payment was made 10 days ago and I am STILL waiting for it to show up on my balance.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I have a positive account balance on their site, but they refuse to send me a check unless I send them a hard copy via snail mail of my bank statement showing the payment cleared my bank (again, even though it shows on their site). I've reported them to our state's attorney general. When on a call with them, they would not help me speak to the escalations department, and their phone system is set up to funnel customers away from speaking to real people. They are not set up to serve the customer.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I got a "zero interest for 18 months" deal on my new AC system through Synchrony. When I logged onto my account for the first time I found Synchrony had assessed a $29 "activation fee" on my account. I could have charged the AC unit on an existing credit card and then paid it off; I would have been better off doing that than paying the "activation fee." When I called to politely ask that the fee be removed the rep refused. She'd obviously had dealt with similar requests before because I could tell she was reading off a prepared script. In other words, Synchrony knows that their customers don't like the "activation fee," but they just don't care.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I would love to know what MBA was hired to help Chevron transition to Synchrony credit card services. When they made the switch nothing works, the service is horrible, you can't update info on their website if your phone number changes, they put you through hell to verify yourself again, then their system still won't recognize. Bottom line, I don't believe this is a one off based on the horrible reviews I have found - message to Chevron - your gas is the same as everyone else (which means you have to compete on service) and you're losing this battle!

Original review: April 2, 2022

Synchrony Bank recently renewed my CD without sending me a renewal reminder. I called them and spoke to their manager Kevin. I asked Kevin to close the CD and place the balance into a savings account. He flatly refused unless I would pay a $500 early withdrawal penalty. They offer great interest rates but their deceptive practices make them a poor choice for banking especially for seniors like myself.

Original review: March 30, 2022

First- do not do business with Synchrony. Second- you do not get a customer service representative that has a very good understanding of the English language, then when you ask to speak to a supervisor, they put you on hold forever and you end up hanging up. Trying to explain a problem does not work to your benefit either in written or verbal format. We had a problem with a payment we made early when we were going out of town for an extended period (Shame on me. No good deed goes unpunished.). Synchrony failed to credit the payment as one of our regular monthly payments, I guess they thought we were just sending them money for the fun of it. Then they charged us a late fee and interest. Discussed with a representative (obviously did not understand what I was talking about) because they gave us a credit.

Then later, we get a letter from the company. Still charged us interest and a late fee after they did their research on the payment/credit conveniently identified as they gave us credit twice (the early payment and customer service credit). It was not because we asked for the credit, the customer rep did it on their own because they did not understand the English language. Then we wrote a second letter with a breakdown of the monthly payments and check clearing dates in a nice table format for anyone to understand, all were on time and earlier than due date. The company responded and agreed with this letter, they were so generous to refund the late charge in the “interest of good customer relations.” However, they never removed the interest charges.

We are now into our third letter after 6 months and still have not received the interest charges back as a credit. Still have not heard back on the third letter yet it was sent in early January. However, if it takes a fourth letter, I’m going to write it and more until they give me the credit for falsely charging me interest (I wonder if they can legally do this). Make sure you review your statements monthly whether you have an electronic account or hardcopy. Do not let them bamboozle you, keep accurate records of your payments and don’t give up. Finally- Their customer service is horrible!

Original review: March 29, 2022

I have had several credit cards managed by Synchrony Financial for several years and have just now read the reviews. Wish I had read the reviews before. Apparently they have the right to reduce and/or close your account arbitrarily due to their credit scoring system. This system gives no warning and can cause your account to be over the limit and they do not care. I have noticed many that say they are managing their account correctly, but the practices of Synchrony cause their account to appear as if they are not. Why would a financial institution want to purposely damage a customer's credit? Bad business practice.

I personally am going to pay my accounts off and not use them. I have other bank cards and will stick to them and raise my credit lines to accommodate my life. Please avoid Synchrony at all costs. Pay attention to the bank that is funding whatever card you are applying for and do not apply. There are other bank cards that you can get and use at these stores that are far better.

Original review: March 24, 2022

This is the worst company to obtain credit with. They will ruin your credit. The pathetic institution gave me a high credit limit. I pay on time and pay off each balance quickly. They lowered my credit limit causing my credit to decline. DO NOT GET AN ACCOUNT WITH THIS RIDICULOUS PLACE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. They are in financial trouble.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I opened 15 month CD a month ago. I then wanted to access my account online. That was impossible because they verify the identity by calling or sending the code to the phone numbers obtained from Public Records. There are my old numbers either non-existing or from my old employer. I called Bank twice that I cannot register online. I was told that I will receive an "override" by mail, but the month passed and I did not receive any. Today I was told the same and also that the bank can only send letters twice a week due to Covid !!! And that many customers have the same issue because most of the cell phones are not in Public Records. Bank has my recent cell phone number which they wanted while opening my CD over that very phone. But they cannot add it to their records once they got my money. That system is archaic and user-unfriendly.

I requested the cancellation of my CD and will be charged a PENALTY for early closing in the amount of 6 months' interest! I cannot work with this bank, they are not helping me with it, and when I want to terminate that "relationship" because of their system they penalize ME instead of apologizing and trying to keep the customer, whose money they took after several minutes phone conversation.

The unbelievable archaic system, unbelievable, that I am penalized for their inability to let me access online. Anyway, I decided to pay the penalty and get out of that bank. How soon I will receive my money back I do not know. Maybe Covid affects this Bank's transfers too, not just sending letters. I have never experienced something like that with any other bank or business, even doing it with other countries. I give ZERO stars to Synchrony Bank.

Original review: March 23, 2022

No matter how hard you're trying to fix your credit, you pay on time, you do what you're supposed to do, you try to use your card and it shows you the charges have been put on your card and then you call and they tell you, "No ma'am we decreased your credit limit to $250." What do I need your card for a card for I had $500? So therefore this card will be cut up and thrown in the trash. Do not use this company. Pick Capital One.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Have two cards and Synchrony is destroying my credit by decreasing my credit line, for no reason. I'm being responsible by not foolish spending and paying the credit card down. They say I have been paying on time but, decreasing my limit at the same. Mix messages, so do not get a card with Synchrony, if you want to keep improving your credit score!!!! Then they will tell you to call the credit bureau to see if they can help you knowing they has nothing to do with their policy of the company.

Original review: March 12, 2022

This bank services my loan for an instrument. I set up auto pay when making my first payment and got a confirmation email. Not true, called when it never occurred. They said I must set it up separately even though they sent an email saying it would occur. Website down often. I believe they are trying to trick me into paying interest (2 years are interest free) by making it very difficult to make payments. I have never had any problems making a payment on an account before. My auto pay was set up for the 11th yesterday and hasn't come out of my bank account yet. I do not trust them at all and recommend avoiding them. I have banked in many places before and have a mortgage and an 800+ credit score, this bank is scummy and I am going to be very careful with this account and pay it off early.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com