Applied Card Bank

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This card is a rip off and as soon as I realized that I paid the balance and requested the account closed. They still charged me a late fee which was not applicable, then charged the monthly maintenance fee and interest after they had closed the account and refused to take the charges off even though their system showed my account was paid on 10/1, the account was closed at my request by 10/6 and my payment wasn't due till 10/12. So there was no late payment and if they received the payment they received the close request as they were mailed together. They purposely waited days to close the account and then charge me fake fees. I have reported them and contacted the credit bureaus so my records are kept accurate and they know that this account should report closed at consumers request.

My personal account online at Amazon.com was hacked only a month ago. Buried in my archived accounts were several gift cards fraudulently purchased using my Applied Bank Credit Card. Those came up to 700.00. When I looked even further, I found 1200.00 in further attempted and canceled gift card purchases on the same card. This was after my limit had been reached, thus the denial. At no point did Applied Bank contact me about these crazy things happening on my credit account.

There were 5 canceled purchases after my limit had been reached, and nobody made any effort to contact me, or question this entire series of purchases. When I finally found the purchases (they had been immediately archived - thank you Amazon for making fraud so easy) and attempted to call Applied, the person who handles their fraud department (1 person. Seriously) was already out for the day. It was 4 pm on a Friday. Ultimately, I am appalled that this could happen, and my credit card company wouldn't even move to protect me in any way from possible fraudulent activity.

I had an Applied bank card years ago for a small business I owned and it was terrible; high fees, late fees, tricky billing, etc. I finally decided to cancel it only to find out that the automated phone menu purposely sends you on a loop any time you want to cancel it. They tried everything they could to keep me from closing my account until I simply called to report my card stolen. When I was asked if I wanted a replacement card I told them "No, just close my account." No matter how bad a CC company is they are required by law to speak to you about a lost or stolen card so if you have one and you want to cancel it just report it stolen. That is the only way you will talk to an actual person to get it cancelled and not be stuck on a continuous loop

The Applied Bank website is the poorest one made. You cannot even view scheduled payments but get several reminders that you need to make a payment when you have already made one. No way to tell if system messed up or you actually made a payment. When you call to try and cancel one of the payments you made, you cannot even get to someone that can resolve your issue. Csr told me she was a supervisor made did not know the corporate phone number. Poor poor poor bad bad bad service.

I messed up my credit score a long time ago at the age of 18 years old. At age 23, I learned how badly I needed to fix my credit score, but the only thing I could get was a secured credit card. Unfortunately, I was still ignorant and went with this terrible credit card company because I didn't know better and didn't do my research first. I've been trying to close my account for years and it's just simply impossible. It really is the worst credit card anyone can get. There are no grace periods, the interest is the highest you can get, and their fees are outrageous. They charge fees so quickly and report it to the credit bureaus so fast, but when it comes to anything else, it takes forever to get anything done (even paying the bill is inconvenient).

Sometimes their own website doesn't even work and it adds to how annoying this company is. I literally just spent 30 minutes trying to log into my account to pay my bill because it kept booting me off and saying "your session has expired" even though I just logged in 2 seconds ago! Customer service is such a pain most of the time. I'm pretty sure they outsource their call center outside the country which is probably why their customer service reps can't do much about anything even if they wanted to help. If you're in a difficult situation because of your credit score and need to fix it, don't go with Applied Bank. They will add to your stress and make things even more difficult for you. Go with a reputable, honest company that is known for great customer service (not Chase!). Applied Bank is the greediest, slimiest, and most annoying credit card company out there. Stay away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Applied Card Bank?

I've had this account for over 8 years and was always on time. It was the first card offered after a bankruptcy over 12 years ago. I used this card and subsequent cards to help rebuild my credit. My Equifax score on my Discover card statement is now at 813. The cards I got later on had much lower interest rates, some don't charge any interest if the balance is paid off on the next statement. Eventually I stopped using their card because of the interest rate. Then: weird things started happening: About once a year they claim I am "late" with a payment and tack on "late fees".

About 6 months ago: When I got a new card in the mail, I called the 800 number and they refused to activate the card because my phone number had changed. They said they would "gladly activate" the card if I could tell them my old phone number. I told them I forgot the number. I was told that if I couldn't "remember" the number there was nothing they could do for me. Here I am about 6 months later: still getting billed $5.53 a month for "maintenance" on an account I can't use. When they said I am "late" with a $5.53 fee so they can tack on "late charges" I got pissed!

Why would I skip out on a $5.53 charge when my Walmart card typically has about $1100.00 that gets paid in full every month? My rent is paid up to July, my car payment is one month ahead. When I tried making payments beyond that: the credit union with a 6% interest rate, took those extra months "off the back end". Those stupid thugs at Applied Bank are greedy predators who will stop at nothing to take money for NOTHING!

I REPEAT. DO NOT GET THIS CARD AT ALL COST. No matter how desperate you may be, or badly you need a credit card this isn't the company to get a card with. You are charged fees to pay your credit card bill. You aren't allow to see your bank statements past 6 months (customer services says they are allowed to see your statement past 3 months) and you are given a $10 per month fee for every statement you request past the 6 month period. They do not report to the credit bureaus correctly if you are paying your bills on time. I have been with the company for 9 months. My credit report doesn't show any activity until I went over the limit on the 9th month. VERY POOR INCOMPETENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I used my card at a gas station in Malibu purchasing $20.34 in gas for my Hybrid. The gas station billed my credit card but also an additional $75.00 showed up on my account the same day, same time, from the same station. I called Applied Bank who told me the gas station added this additional charge. I tried to explain my Hybrid does not even hold $95.46 in gas but the only info I was given by the supervisor was that I needed to wait 30 days to see if the charge would fall off. She refused to allow me to even file a complaint for fraudulent billing. When I called the gas station they informed me they only charged my card once and it was the credit card that fraudulently billed me cause they have no history of ever billing my card the additional $75.00. He even said they would issue a credit if I could prove the authorization of the charge.

When I called the supervisor back this time she told me that: "WHEN ONE OF OUR CUSTOMERS PURCHASES GAS WE CAN AUTHORIZE UP TO $200.00 ADDITIONAL DOLLARS AND HOLD IT UP TO 30 DAYS." Is this legal? She actually had the audacity to tell me that at least it was only $75.00 and not the usual $200.00. In the meantime while they hold my money I will pay interest, and an over limit fee for something I never received and the poor gas stations that accept this fraudulent card suffer allegations of fraudulent billing from the consumers that frequent their establishment.

I got this card to build my credit. It was my hope to pay on time increase my score. They raised my credit very quickly and I was never late. Well I lost my job unexpectedly and was unable to pay. They refused to work with me until I was 90 days late. Hindsight I would have done better to have them close the card and send me to collections. But trying to do right I tried to make an arrangement with them. Now I will own the responsibility I did it to myself. I should just paid this card off in full A LONG time ago and just bit the bullet, but I will tell you this card is not good. Interest rate too high, ridiculous monthly maintenance fees. I have maybe two more payments to make and I am done! Thank God. This was the worst credit card I have ever gotten.

Applied Card Bank has too many hidden fees in their credit card. I called customer service, they could not explain to me on these charges. I continue to get fees added to my account. If I had any choice, I would stop this card. I've been a customer only 2 months.

I have had this card a while. Can't check your balance to see if it's over limit. The website always says, not available, check back later. It's never available until you're way over limit. You can't pay it off. If you get a 300.00 increase, they charge 100.00 of it to get it. And if you don't have it on your account, they charge you an over limit fee, which they take from the 200.00 you have left. It is a scam and it will wreck your credit. I paid a payment out of the bank. They said it was declined and charged a fee. They ran it through 3 times, each time charging a fee. I called the bank and they said that it never came there and had no record of it. They messed up and once again I had to pay them. I called them several times, useless. I am now up to over 800.00 over limit all their fees. They might as well cancel it, like I said. And I will be reporting them. I have someone looking into it.

An Applied card holder for more than 7 years. Not once was I delinquent. I always paid before the due date knowing it takes them several days to clear the payment. (Even when I'd pay online.) After years of dealing with a ridiculous interest rate (29.99%) and monthly fees of $5.00 I decided to pay off this card. In July 2015 I received my statement and on Aug 2 I paid the balance plus $50.00 to cover any BS they might come up with.

My account was paid in full on Aug. 2nd. I called to make sure the payment had been received. I was told I had overpaid by $53.84. I was also told the refund would not be mailed until the beginning of the next billing cycle. When I received my Aug. bill I had been charged 33.24 in interest from a zero balance. They charged me interest on 1300.00 which was half of my payoff amount. DO NOT EVER ACCEPT ANY TEMPTATION FROM THIS BANK! Oh btw they still owe me $20.60 which I'm sure I'll never get.

I had the card for almost 2 years - worst ever!! My bill would average $38.00. I decided I would build my credit, pay $75.00 a month taken out of my account for 6 months only to find out that I'm paying $38.00 over the limit fee and 9 fee and 10 fee. Rip off big time.

Been with this bank for a while. Each month I make my payment on time before the time is allowed on the go First of each month. I receive a late fee charge of 38.00 dollars each month stating the payment posted the following day. Their website states the payment is made successfully but charges you a late fee the next day. Tried contacting them and submitted my confirmation number and the printout of the payment posted. They refuse to take the fee off stating the payment did not post until the next day.

I won't regurgitate all the other complaints against Applied Card. Most of which are the same complaints I have, but rather I'd simply like to know if anyone has an actual e-mail address to contact them so I can track the message since phone calls don't work. After having a card from this predatory lender for over a decade due to having bad credit, I paid off and called to close it. Was of course charged yet another $15 fee although I closed it with a zero balance, and was told by the call center rep that I'd receive a letter in the mail confirming that it is closed.

Almost two months later, still no letter but I get another statement showing that I still have available credit, which shows that it was never closed. I wasted more time calling again, and surprise... no record of any request to close the account! All I want, other than this shady company to be shut down, is to be able to e-mail them so I have a written record of my request. If anyone has a valid e-mail address for Applied Bank, or better yet, a live executive there, I'd be very grateful.

I've been waiting all month long to receive my new credit cards. I've been with Applied bank for 3 years and have always made my payments on time. I have been contacting customer service since the beginning of May asking when will I receive my cards and they say "you'll receive them 2 weeks before the month is up." I contact them on May 15 stating that I still have yet to receive my cards. They go "you have returned mail and we need your new address." I tell them my address has never changed, I never changed it, and I get my bank statement every month from them. They say "oh no problem it must be an error and we will correct it."

Today is May 29 and I receive a letter in the mail stating that since I changed address they are unable to process my request and send out my new cards until I send in current bank statements, gov't issued ID, and a utility bill. At this point I am beyond frustrated and upset. I call them and tell them the same thing and this lady tells me there's nothing they can do because the card system is animated and basically it's my fault. But how is it my fault when I still have the same address for years and it’s my own money you’re holding!!!

So now I'm waiting on a call from the bank which can take 3 to 4 days. And my card expires in 2 days which means I can't rent a car or book a hotel room or anything. Their company is truly a scam and they have no respect for elite customers. This is such an inconvenience and I would never recommend this bank to my closest enemy.

I lost my job, went on disability and needed a credit card to spread purchases over a period of time. Applied Bank supplied me with a secured card. I am able to make smaller than purchase price payments and improve my credit.

This credit card is pretty pathetic. It is impossible to access any credit card activity prior to six months, and actually one of the six prior months is "currently unavailable for viewing please check back later". I've been getting this message for three days. This inability to view last year's activity for income tax purposes makes this card useless for a business. Real credit cards (Citibank, Chase for example) organize and categorize prior activity. Doesn't Applied have computers? What a joke!

This is the most horrible bank/credit card company I've EVER had to deal with. I have been with them for 2 years....even though my account reflects one year. I opened the account in the beginning of 2013. The only reason I opened the account was because I was building credit. It was secured by $200. I've NEVER been late once on this account. Not once. I have had a perfect account. I go online to check my account, as I do with all my accounts every few days... and there is a balance of $50.50. It’s not my charge. I look over the account trying to find out where that money is coming from. I can't find ANYTHING.

So I called Applied Bank on the week of February 9, 2015. I got a guy who was decent. He told me that the $50.50 was an annual fee. Um, No. I’m not paying that. So I gave him the reasons I'm refusing to pay, and he agrees to note the account. Then he asks me to send a "letter" explaining to them why I won't pay the $50.50. Ummmm, that’s weird. I told him so. Why should I do all this work to have this fee removed. Bottom line, I did everything they wanted. I waited the 7-10 business days for this fee to be removed, and it’s not. The bill is due on 3/3 and today is 2/25!!!

So, I call at around 10:45am this morning. Got this rude man, you can tell he hates his job. I don't blame him. I was a Customer Service Rep for 14 years. I would have been fired for talking to a customer the way this man talked to me. I started out very polite with him, until he advised me that they were NOT removing the annual fee. He didn't even seem sorry, almost triumphant!! Seriously!!! So, I became more aggressive. I threatened to close my account. This guy had the nerve to say, "Well, that’s your choice, but you will get your money back (secured account) minus the balance of $50.50 and this will negatively impact your credit." Almost like a threat. I could NOT believe I was being spoken to like this.

A perfect customer, with a perfect account. I asked for his manager.......after 5 minutes, he passes me to a woman who is just as bad as he was. I doubt she was a supervisor, but her name was Nancy (right, like I believe that) and she claimed her operator number is "**". RIGHT. She too, refused to give me a one time courtesy adjustment of the annual fee of $50.50. When I told her how her rep treated me, she told me she was sorry I felt upset by his treatment. What??!!! Is she serious!!??

I called their bluff.....I closed the account. They WILL deduct the $50.50 from my security, but what am I going to do??? Stay with them??? Nope. See ya!!! ANYBODY WHO IS THINKING OF REBUILDING THEIR CREDIT HERE, STAY AWAY!!!! I was with these people for over 2 years with a perfect account and this is how they treated me. I don't even have secured cards anymore. I left this account open because it was my oldest line of credit. I have regular credit cards now with a decent credit score...... APPLIED BANK doesn't care about their customers. STAY AWAY. BEWARE!!!

Called paid off Balance on the 11th, paid it off included the 10.95 charge that was cause I used my debt card. Customer service rep, on the 11th closed it for me, said that I will be getting a letter in a couple days. Filed it today 24th. Got a statement, finance charges of 13.98 owed. Really! For what says cash advance, really on the 19th how if the card was closed on the 11th. Called, spoke with a customer service rep. She stated that if was from the Jan. 2015. What? How come the system was not update... Scam scam... So asked how much is owed now, well 14.04, and will go up by a penny everyday... really... Fire coming out my mouth... scam scam. If you are want this card, think again... Look at all of the reviews, most are the same.. Scam Scam Scam SCAM... Go to Discover - the best card on the planet....

I contacted the worst customer service ever for review and refund of two overcharged fees of $35.00 each one for over the limit fee and the other for late payment which they are wrong. Refuses to waive charges. Very nasty, unprofessional customer service. Be careful on doing business with them.

Their monthly maintenance fee is $15 which is ridiculous! If you forget to make a payment or have an emergency and cannot pay it, they do not waive fees (even as a one time courtesy like most banks). There were many times when I did not receive a letter, my bill is never consistent, their website is not user friendly, and I have to ask for them to send me a card when it is expired (most banks just send it). Because of all of the fees, I feel like I can never pay off my bill and I haven't used my card in FOREVER!!!

I have had this card for nearly 2 yrs and I have had very bad customer service from this bank... I have faithfully made payments on time and I actually noticed today that they added a 10.95 payment fee to my account even though I added it to my payment when I made it... They also reported me 30 days I made a payment that was not the minimum amount. I was told that if I made that payment it would not be reported but it was... I disputed that with the FTC and now applied bank is not even in my credit report at this time... This bank is terrible outrageous fees & bad customer service.

Everything you have read here is accurate. I have had a Applied Bank Business credit card for 2+ years. Started with $500 limit and eventually got it to $1100. Was charged $100 fee each time it was raised. Always paid off the balance each month and was charged $10.95 to actually PAY my bill. A $9.95 account maintenance fee and 24.95% APR monthly. It will cost you over $30.00 a month just to keep this card in your wallet or purse even if you DO NOT USE IT!! Do not get this card. Try Continental Finance, or even Capitol One secured. They raised my limit within 6 months from $200 to $750 and didn't charge me a dime. Applied Bank is a version of the modern day "loan shark". I have closed my account and await to see if additional fees are imposed. I will update and investigate if it does.

I have paid my bill on time and they still are saying I owe over the limit fees. I have been trying to get in touch with them but whenever I call I can NEVER get a live person on the phone. I have been trying everyday numerous times to get a live agent but have had no luck. They keep adding on these fees every month.

Their people are the worst. The account being reported to the Credit Bureau cost me my job. I was required to contact my Employer to request a letter stating that I was going to take care of the balance in the future. They refused to help me. They are the worst. People do not do business with Applied Bank, I'm telling you. If I could have everybody fire in their corporation I would; they do not care about their customers. The world will know what kind of people they are. I will make sure of that.

Applied Bank has terrible customer service. They are closed weekends. It is incredibly difficult to get a live person anyways. They will hold your money for up to two weeks after the merchant releases a hold. This process is normally a few days with real credit card issuers. They will assess a penalty and not allow you to use your card for if you are more than several days late, and they take forever to process payments. What a disgusting "bank". Why are they not accountable for their strong-arm tactics??

Applied Bank is basically a "Leach." Once they get their hooks into you, getting out is very, very difficult. I've had an Applied Bank card now for several years. I mostly used their internet site to pay my monthly bills. They say ignorance is no excuse but I never realized that their interest rate was over 29%. I must have been desperate taking out this card. For every dollar you pay them, they take .30 cents.

Realizing how stupid I was, I have been trying to pay off this card, tearing it up and being done with them. Not so easy. I recently made a substantial payment online using my checking account information. It was not posted for nine days. I incurred a late charge and called. It was very difficult to get a "live" person at Applied Bank but when I did, I asked to speak with a supervisor. It took some doing but I eventually spoke to a so called "Supervisor." He made a three way call to the bank I used for the check payment, which by the way, Applied Bank put through as an ACH transaction and it had cleared the day after I made the payment to Applied Bank as a "Miscellaneous Debit." The supervisor verified that, in fact, Applied Bank received the funds and credited my account and reversed late charges. The supervisor told me had he not called it would have taken another nine days to credit my account. He also had to "unfreeze" my online banking with Applied Bank because I had set up another payment, which I stopped, in case for some reason it was not received by Applied Bank. I then received a $26.00 stop payment fee as well.

My Motto is: "Don't Get Mad, Get Even." I filed a written complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and am awaiting a response from them. They give 15 days to Applied Bank to respond. While I realize I probably will not get the satisfaction I really want, I will now file a complaint in a Class Action Suit with an Attorney that deals with Consumer Protection Advocacy. Oh, and by the way, beware of an offer from Applied Bank to increase your credit limit by $300.00. They take $100.00 of that as a service fee and in essence you get $200.00 and an increased liability to your account.

My secured card after 1 year was to be increased by $200 and become unsecured. After 1 year the company TOOK $50 as a fee. I called and requested from customer service a copy of my agreement (and told them I would NO LONGER need their services, only to receive a bill later) and was told it'll take up to 10 days. Never received the info requested.

When I applied for the secured card, I was supposed to be able to switch it to an unsecured card after making on time payments after a certain length of time. Good way to build up credit or so I thought. I've requested they switch it to an unsecured account and they have refused saying they NEVER DO THAT. So my $500.00 is stuck in an account that they are making interest on. I pay the card off faithfully every month, some months I don't even use it. I cannot get a higher limit either unless I deposit more money. What??? I cannot close the account without having it adversely affect my credit score and I want to buy a house. Do not fall for these scammers. So far I'm not paying any interest or fees, except the annual one. Also their website sucks as far as resetting your password information. Unlike legitimate credit card companies, they only work normal Monday - Friday business hours.

Applied Card Bank Company Profile