Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.80/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Applied Bank Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

This card is a rip off and as soon as I realized that I paid the balance and requested the account closed. They still charged me a late fee which was not applicable, then charged the monthly maintenance fee and interest after they had closed the account and refused to take the charges off even though their system showed my account was paid on 10/1, the account was closed at my request by 10/6 and my payment wasn't due till 10/12. So there was no late payment and if they received the payment they received the close request as they were mailed together. They purposely waited days to close the account and then charge me fake fees. I have reported them and contacted the credit bureaus so my records are kept accurate and they know that this account should report closed at consumers request.

Original review: July 2, 2016

My personal account online at Amazon.com was hacked only a month ago. Buried in my archived accounts were several gift cards fraudulently purchased using my Applied Bank Credit Card. Those came up to 700.00. When I looked even further, I found 1200.00 in further attempted and canceled gift card purchases on the same card. This was after my limit had been reached, thus the denial. At no point did Applied Bank contact me about these crazy things happening on my credit account.

There were 5 canceled purchases after my limit had been reached, and nobody made any effort to contact me, or question this entire series of purchases. When I finally found the purchases (they had been immediately archived - thank you Amazon for making fraud so easy) and attempted to call Applied, the person who handles their fraud department (1 person. Seriously) was already out for the day. It was 4 pm on a Friday. Ultimately, I am appalled that this could happen, and my credit card company wouldn't even move to protect me in any way from possible fraudulent activity.

Original review: June 19, 2016

I had an Applied bank card years ago for a small business I owned and it was terrible; high fees, late fees, tricky billing, etc. I finally decided to cancel it only to find out that the automated phone menu purposely sends you on a loop any time you want to cancel it. They tried everything they could to keep me from closing my account until I simply called to report my card stolen. When I was asked if I wanted a replacement card I told them "No, just close my account." No matter how bad a CC company is they are required by law to speak to you about a lost or stolen card so if you have one and you want to cancel it just report it stolen. That is the only way you will talk to an actual person to get it cancelled and not be stuck on a continuous loop

Original review: June 9, 2016

The Applied Bank website is the poorest one made. You cannot even view scheduled payments but get several reminders that you need to make a payment when you have already made one. No way to tell if system messed up or you actually made a payment. When you call to try and cancel one of the payments you made, you cannot even get to someone that can resolve your issue. Csr told me she was a supervisor made did not know the corporate phone number. Poor poor poor bad bad bad service.

Original review: June 3, 2016

I messed up my credit score a long time ago at the age of 18 years old. At age 23, I learned how badly I needed to fix my credit score, but the only thing I could get was a secured credit card. Unfortunately, I was still ignorant and went with this terrible credit card company because I didn't know better and didn't do my research first. I've been trying to close my account for years and it's just simply impossible. It really is the worst credit card anyone can get. There are no grace periods, the interest is the highest you can get, and their fees are outrageous. They charge fees so quickly and report it to the credit bureaus so fast, but when it comes to anything else, it takes forever to get anything done (even paying the bill is inconvenient).

Sometimes their own website doesn't even work and it adds to how annoying this company is. I literally just spent 30 minutes trying to log into my account to pay my bill because it kept booting me off and saying "your session has expired" even though I just logged in 2 seconds ago! Customer service is such a pain most of the time. I'm pretty sure they outsource their call center outside the country which is probably why their customer service reps can't do much about anything even if they wanted to help. If you're in a difficult situation because of your credit score and need to fix it, don't go with Applied Bank. They will add to your stress and make things even more difficult for you. Go with a reputable, honest company that is known for great customer service (not Chase!). Applied Bank is the greediest, slimiest, and most annoying credit card company out there. Stay away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Applied Bank Credit Cards?

Original review: April 13, 2016

I've had this account for over 8 years and was always on time. It was the first card offered after a bankruptcy over 12 years ago. I used this card and subsequent cards to help rebuild my credit. My Equifax score on my Discover card statement is now at 813. The cards I got later on had much lower interest rates, some don't charge any interest if the balance is paid off on the next statement. Eventually I stopped using their card because of the interest rate. Then: weird things started happening: About once a year they claim I am "late" with a payment and tack on "late fees".

About 6 months ago: When I got a new card in the mail, I called the 800 number and they refused to activate the card because my phone number had changed. They said they would "gladly activate" the card if I could tell them my old phone number. I told them I forgot the number. I was told that if I couldn't "remember" the number there was nothing they could do for me. Here I am about 6 months later: still getting billed $5.53 a month for "maintenance" on an account I can't use. When they said I am "late" with a $5.53 fee so they can tack on "late charges" I got pissed!

Why would I skip out on a $5.53 charge when my Walmart card typically has about $1100.00 that gets paid in full every month? My rent is paid up to July, my car payment is one month ahead. When I tried making payments beyond that: the credit union with a 6% interest rate, took those extra months "off the back end". Those stupid thugs at Applied Bank are greedy predators who will stop at nothing to take money for NOTHING!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

I REPEAT. DO NOT GET THIS CARD AT ALL COST. No matter how desperate you may be, or badly you need a credit card this isn't the company to get a card with. You are charged fees to pay your credit card bill. You aren't allow to see your bank statements past 6 months (customer services says they are allowed to see your statement past 3 months) and you are given a $10 per month fee for every statement you request past the 6 month period. They do not report to the credit bureaus correctly if you are paying your bills on time. I have been with the company for 9 months. My credit report doesn't show any activity until I went over the limit on the 9th month. VERY POOR INCOMPETENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I used my card at a gas station in Malibu purchasing $20.34 in gas for my Hybrid. The gas station billed my credit card but also an additional $75.00 showed up on my account the same day, same time, from the same station. I called Applied Bank who told me the gas station added this additional charge. I tried to explain my Hybrid does not even hold $95.46 in gas but the only info I was given by the supervisor was that I needed to wait 30 days to see if the charge would fall off. She refused to allow me to even file a complaint for fraudulent billing. When I called the gas station they informed me they only charged my card once and it was the credit card that fraudulently billed me cause they have no history of ever billing my card the additional $75.00. He even said they would issue a credit if I could prove the authorization of the charge.

When I called the supervisor back this time she told me that: "WHEN ONE OF OUR CUSTOMERS PURCHASES GAS WE CAN AUTHORIZE UP TO $200.00 ADDITIONAL DOLLARS AND HOLD IT UP TO 30 DAYS." Is this legal? She actually had the audacity to tell me that at least it was only $75.00 and not the usual $200.00. In the meantime while they hold my money I will pay interest, and an over limit fee for something I never received and the poor gas stations that accept this fraudulent card suffer allegations of fraudulent billing from the consumers that frequent their establishment.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

I got this card to build my credit. It was my hope to pay on time increase my score. They raised my credit very quickly and I was never late. Well I lost my job unexpectedly and was unable to pay. They refused to work with me until I was 90 days late. Hindsight I would have done better to have them close the card and send me to collections. But trying to do right I tried to make an arrangement with them. Now I will own the responsibility I did it to myself. I should just paid this card off in full A LONG time ago and just bit the bullet, but I will tell you this card is not good. Interest rate too high, ridiculous monthly maintenance fees. I have maybe two more payments to make and I am done! Thank God. This was the worst credit card I have ever gotten.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

Applied Card Bank has too many hidden fees in their credit card. I called customer service, they could not explain to me on these charges. I continue to get fees added to my account. If I had any choice, I would stop this card. I've been a customer only 2 months.

Applied Bank Credit Cards Company Information