Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.9/5 (43 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Chase Freedom Credit Card

Chase Freedom is a great cashback rewards card for rotating bonus categories without an annual fee. Rotating bonus categories earn 5% cash back on combined purchases up to $1,500 each quarter, and everything else earns automatic, unlimited 1% cash back. The Chase Freedom card also gives cardholders access to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Program. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

Pros

• Generous signup bonus offer
  • 5% cash back on select categories
  • No annual fee
  • Unlimited 1% cashback

Cons

• Foreign transaction fees
  • Must opt into rotating categories

Bottom Line

The Chase Freedom card has excellent cashback bonus categories and numerous benefits, including 0% balance transfer rates for 15 months, an attractive signup bonus and secondary car rental insurance, without an annual fee.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Chase Freedom review

Chase Freedom gives cardholders the best of both worlds — bonus cash back for select rotating categories and a flat percentage cash back on everything else. Plus, the sign-up bonus gives new cardholders an extra $150.

chase freedomRecommended Credit:
Good
Chase Freedom
  • $150 bonus if you spend $500 within 3 months
  • 5% cash back on bonus categories
  • $0 annual fee
Learn more

You’ll get the most out of Chase Freedom when it’s combined with another points-earning Chase card (including Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Business Preferred cards).

$150 sign up bonus

1%-5% cash back

$0 annual fee

Chase Freedom benefits

The combination of Chase Freedom rewards and benefits make it a great card for everyday spending. Highlights of Chase Freedom card perks include an easy-to-hit signup bonus, low-rate balance transfers and travel insurance.

• Chase Freedom signup bonus: With your successful application, you’re eligible for a Chase Freedom bonus of $150 cash back if you spend $500 on new purchases within three months of opening the account.
  • Chase Freedom cashback: Each quarter, a new bonus category earns 5% cash back, and all other purchases receive a flat 1% back. Chase Freedom categories include pharmacies, groceries and everyday services like internet or cable.
  • Introductory 0% APR period: Get 15 months of 0% APR on new purchases and balance transfers. The balance transfer fee is 3% for the first 60 days, then 5% after that.
  • Chase Freedom travel insurance: Travel insurance is a free benefit to Chase Freedom Visa Signature cardholders with a credit line above $5,000. This insurance covers eligible cardholders and their families up to $250,000 for accidental death or dismemberment while traveling. It also covers up to $5,000 for trip interruption or cancellation and up to $3,000 for lost luggage.
  • Car rental insurance: The Chase Freedom car rental insurance provides cardholders with secondary car rental insurance, which is utilized after primary personal car insurance, and can help cover the cost of theft or damage to a rental vehicle.
  • Purchase protection: Chase will reimburse, replace or repair eligible items purchased with a Chase Freedom credit card up to $500 if lost, stolen or damaged within 120 days of receipt. Chase Freedom purchase protection is limited to $50,000 per account per year.
  • Chase Credit Journey: Chase Freedom credit cardholders get access to Chase Credit Journey, which includes VantageScore 3.0 credit scores from TransUnion with weekly updates, credit alerts to prevent identity fraud, and a credit simulator tool to help find out how different financial decisions could affect your overall credit score.

What are Chase Freedom bonus categories?

Bonus categories earn
5% on first $1,500 spent
in combined purchases

Chase Freedom earns limited 5% cash back on different rotating bonus categories each quarter and unlimited 1% back on all other purchases. Cardholders can earn the 5% bonus rewards on combined purchases up to $1,500 per quarter. After $1,500, continued spending on a rotating Chase Freedom bonus category will earn unlimited 1% cash back. The cardholder is responsible for opting into new categories before the deadline closes each quarter.

The Chase Freedom calendar of rotating bonus categories starts in January and is announced at the beginning of each quarter. Chase provides a convenient notification tool that is compatible with popular calendar apps, such as Outlook and Google Calendar, to help cardholders remember to opt into new bonus categories. Chase also allows you to view bonus categories for current and past quarters. Specific merchants may be included on the bonus calendar, though there may be some merchant exclusions from general categories as well.

How to maximize Chase Freedom rewards points

You will get the most out of the Chase Freedom card if you also have another Chase card eligible for Ultimate Rewards — use the Chase Freedom card exclusively for Chase Freedom rotating categories for 5% cash back, and use another Chase card with a higher flat-rate, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, for everything else.

Chase Freedom cardholders can increase the value of rewards up to 50% by transferring cashback rewards into Ultimate Rewards points, which are especially valuable when redeemed for travel. For example, cash back rewards on a Chase Freedom card worth $150 could be converted to 15,000 Ultimate Rewards points. The Ultimate Rewards points may then be valued at up to $300.

While this can be slightly more complicated than some other points cards, the potential for greater rewards points is an excellent benefit and allows you to maximize your reward amount.

Chase Freedom credit card FAQ

What credit score is needed for a Chase Freedom card?
You are probably eligible if your credit score is at least 645 (which falls in the upper portion of the “fair” range). Those with good, very good and excellent credit scores should not have difficulty obtaining the Chase Freedom card.
Is Chase Freedom a good first credit card?
Chase Freedom is a good first card because it comes with so many benefits, has no annual fee and gets you into the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. However, some applicants may not have a high enough credit score to qualify. If you feel you won't remember to opt into new bonus categories on time every three months, then the Chase Freedom Unlimited card might be a better starter card for you as it offers a flat 1.5% back.
Does Chase Freedom have an annual fee?
No. One of the perks of the Chase Freedom card is that it does not have an annual fee. However, cardholders are responsible for a 3% balance transfer fee for each balance transferred during the introductory APR period and a 5% fee per cash advance. Additional fees are more thoroughly described in the Chase Freedom terms and conditions.
Does Chase Freedom have foreign transaction fees?
Yes. You're charged a 3% ($5 minimum) foreign transaction fee if you use the Chase Freedom credit card with retailers or merchants outside the United States. This also applies to online purchases.
Is Chase Freedom hard to get?
The Chase Freedom card should not be hard to get for those with a credit score above 645, but applicants below that number may not be eligible. If approved, your credit limits will vary depending on your financial history and credit score. The Chase Freedom application is simple to complete online or over the phone.

Is Chase Freedom worth it?

The Chase Freedom credit card is worth it because it’s easy to earn rewards through bonus categories and there’s no annual fee. Chase Freedom reward categories include many everyday places you'd use your card, such as drug stores, gas stations, home improvement stores and even tolls. Plus, the Chase Freedom credit card is eligible for Ultimate Rewards points. Cardholders can increase their cash back amount by using Chase’s shopping portal on eligible categories as well.

Chase Freedom Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Freedom Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Freedom Credit Card?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Just got my new Chase Freedom credit card, the application was very easy. Chase is offering some fantastic offers to new customers at the moment. Money back up to 5 % cash back for groceries in the first 12 months. The website is easy to use. SO far, very happy with the choice.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I've had a Chase Freedom card for 6 years and it's been a treat. The customer service is excellent. I pay off my bill every month so I don't carry a balance to comment on the interest rates. I really appreciate the discount programs and point warning programs.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I love my Chase Freedom card. I have access to offers that give me money back and it's has credit monitoring feature which I am pleased with as well.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I have had my Chase Freedom card for approximately 14 years. I love it, and I have recently received the chase freedom unlimited which offers a bit more back in rewards on purchases. I love them both, and I can only think of one time in 14 years that I had an experience with customer service that I did not like, but nothing that made me want to part with my card.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I submitted a request to dispute a charge for a virtual gift card that we were NEVER able to redeem. Yesterday I received a notice from Chase Freedom Disputes Department saying the charge was valid! Today I requested the call be escalated and spoke with Supervisor "Jacob" who advised I NEED to send paperwork/emails to them showing the company admitting to the problems with the gift card. I thought that he was kidding, I have no time for this and it will take quite a while to locate all of the emails and go through ALL of them. I realized after going through so many people who disconnect you (Customer Service) and are rude (they used to be so lovely, I have no idea what happened) I did become very angry.

I asked him if I was hearing correctly, that the onus is on the customer to prove the vendor is lying. I realized then that it would be best to just go directly back to the company and let them resolve and write a letter to the CEO of that company. I told Supervisor Jacob that I want to cancel my Chase Freedom and he connected me with someone who did not answer when I kept saying hello and then I heard the phone ringing and realized I was in the automated system and it was the C/S Dept. and the csr-Vanessa- told me that she was sending me a text to verify who I was and I explained I do not have a cellular for texting could she please email and she said no but there are other options. And I asked her what they are and she told me, "If you calm down I will tell you!" Seriously?

I don't know if she was on drugs because it took her so long to speak and she was going on and on that there were different options for me to verify my information but did not say what they were. I asked her to please tell me what are these other options? She then connected me to the "Security Department." They cancelled my card and when I called back the system said that the card was cancelled for security reasons when this was NOT the case! I was cancelling because if you dispute a charge they don't care and you have to prove that you didn't get a redeemable card and why even have Chase Freedom if you are not protected?

This was a gift card with a high dollar value. I didn't even care about the hundreds of dollars of points I had because I just wanted to cancel my credit card and be done with dealing with unprofessional people. The last csr, "Paul" was humming while I was speaking and he told me that I was interrupting him and I asked him what he said and he said, "You thought that I said something? That is concerning!" I couldn't believe why this csr was so bizarre and when I said I heard him say something and then he said, "I am verbally nodding" and I said, "Oh, I did not know that you were demonstrating active listening skills, it sounded as though you were humming very loudly" and he very snidely said, "Is that so?" I really started to wonder since he said his name was Paul if maybe this was the actor Paul Lynn but this csr was not rude in a cute way like Paul Lynn.

I cannot properly articulate how unhappy I am about having to cancel the card and losing all my points but I just don't care so long as I do not need to speak with such unbelievably rude people. I don't know if they are working from home so they are getting away with this but I am so disappointed in the lack of desire to put the customer first. Do not get a Chase Freedom card if you are considering it and if you have one do not use it for any large purchases because you will not be protected.

Original review: April 8, 2021

They just lock out your card without your approval/notification in the name of security. I got this card for 0% APR for my personal needs and when needed it wasn’t useful and customer care was not reachable at all. Really a waste of time. Not recommend Chase any further.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Chase Bank provided zero service when dealing with a fraudulent charge on a Visa Card. Strongly recommend using a different bank. When called prior to the transaction being completed they said to call back after the charge was posted. I called back and they stated to send the item back. I stated I couldn't do that that they were flowers and were sent to someone and they were not what I ordered and that they were delivered late. They stated there was nothing they could do. I sent a letter per the website. Letter was responded within 24 hours stating the dispute had been resolved even though they did nothing but send me a letter stating the dispute was resolved. Go to a different bank.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We have a small business in Northern CA. We use(d) our Chase Freedom Card to fund inventory purchases. After 4 major fires (two required evacuation), Covid, and a virtual monsoon in 2019, Chase decided, in the words of their representative, to be "understanding and helpful" by closing the account for late payments. Incredible. I was encouraged to reapply for another card though. Not again, not ever. If anyone is even considering a Chase account for any reason, we highly encourage you to rethink it. This is a soulless conglomerate and the very epitome of big business gone bad. STAY AWAY!

Original review: May 9, 2020

Do yourself a favor and avoid Chase bank, stay away!! They have increased APR when other banks lowered or stopped charging interest charge for 30-90 days due to covid 19 nightmare we are into. I'm paying off my card and close all chase bank accounts. I highly recommend do not ever apply or use any chase cards.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I reported an usual charge and card was canceled without consent. I have been forced to take leave due to lack of mobility options due to not having a credit card to use and unable to pay for goods. No alternative was offered or given while waiting for a new card. I am still waiting to hear from a supervisor from the company.

Chase Freedom Credit Card Company Information