Find a Credit Cards partner

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

4.0/5 (227 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Those who travel frequently will get the most out of Chase Sapphire Preferred since it’s such a great rewards card for earning points toward travel. Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, you can earn double points when you spend on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include a 1:1 point transfer ratio with Chase’s numerous partner hotels and airlines and a high signup bonus. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

Pros

• 1:1 point transfer
  • Purchase protection
  • High signup bonus

Cons

• No intro APR
  • Annual fee

Bottom Line

Chase Sapphire Preferred’s wide selection of benefits and perks make it worth the $95 annual fee, making it one of the top travel reward cards in the market.

Top Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Verified

Chase offers some great benefits, the Sapphire preferred card is great for international users with no conversion fees. ... Some really good options to suit your needs. Customer c...

Verified

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred review

The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card offers some of the most generous travel rewards benefits available. As a welcome bonus, new cardholders earn 60,000 points when they spend $4,000 on new purchases within the first three months of opening an account, which is equal to $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel.

chase sapphire preferredRecommended Credit:
Excellent
Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 within 3 months
  • 2x points on travel and dining
  • $95 annual fee
Learn more

In addition to the attractive sign-up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus categories earn 2 rewards points for every dollar spent on dining and travel expenses and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.

60,000 point bonus

1 point per dollar spent

2X points on travel

How do Chase Sapphire Preferred points work?

Cardholders earn 1 point per dollar on most purchases and double points when they use their card for dining and travel. Points are worth 25% more when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to numerous Chase airline and hotel partners.

• Earning Chase Sapphire Preferred points: Earn 2 points per each dollar spent for travel and dining expenses and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Travel purchases include virtually every trip-related charge, including airline tickets purchased directly from an airline, hotel or campground accommodations, restaurant charges, department store shopping and more. However, Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards are not earned for in-flight or on-board goods and services, merchants inside airports, services of real estate agents, sightseeing or tourist attractions.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred points redemption: Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points are worth 25% more when used to booked travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio with many leading airline and hotel partners. Popular airline partners include Southwest, JetBlue, United, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Popular hotel partners include Hyatt and Marriott. Rewards points can also be exchanged for cash or gift cards, though for a lower value of $0.001 per point.

Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits

Aside from the rewards program, Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits provide assurance on your important purchases and add security protection.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred purchase protection: Purchase protection provides coverage against theft, damage or loss for eligible items bought with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card. For up to 120 days, eligible items will be repaired, replaced or reimbursed up to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per account. Not all items purchased with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card are eligible, and some terms apply.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred extended warranty protection: Extended warranty protection lengthens the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of a product by one additional year. The original warranty needs to have a duration of fewer than three years, and the product must have been purchased with the credit card or reward points earned by the card to be eligible.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred contactless payments: Simply tap your contactless Chase Sapphire Preferred card at the checkout terminal and your payment is processed in seconds. This technology works at restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, coffee shops, pharmacies and other retailers around the world.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits

Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for earning and redeeming travel rewards, and cardholders enjoy added travel benefits like travel insurance, car rental insurance and priority access.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance: This travel insurance covers trip cancellations, delays and interruptions, baggage delays or loss and car rental collision damage. To qualify, the trip, or a portion of it, needs to be paid for with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Chase Ultimate Rewards. Trip cancellations and interruption can be covered up to a maximum of $10,000, and trip delays and baggage delays are covered up to a maximum of $500.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred rental car insurance: If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to rent a car and it is damaged in a collision or stolen, you can get reimbursement for the damage for up to the actual value of the vehicle. Just be sure not to purchase the rental company’s collision damage waiver.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred priority access: Most Chase cards come with a priority privilege to make boarding faster at the airport, which is normally reserved for first and business class passengers. You don’t need to go through the general boarding process — simply go to the priority lane to board at any time.

Chase Sapphire Preferred fees

Certain Chase Sapphire Preferred card services come with additional fees. More rates, fees and terms are described in the Chase Sapphire Preferred Cardmember Agreement.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$95
Foreign transaction fee0%
Cash advance fee10% ($5 minimum)
Late feeUp to $38
Authorized user fee$0

Chase Sapphire Preferred FAQ

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card metal?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is made of metal and makes quite an impression when you drop it at counters. Plastic versions are also available — some cardholders have complained that the metal card can get stuck in some readers.
Do Chase Sapphire Preferred Points expire?
Many other travel rewards expire within 12 to 36 months, but Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned with this card never expire as long as the account is open. If you cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred, don’t pay your balance or bill, or if Chase suspects you are abusing or misusing the points program, you could lose the points you’ve earned.
What credit score do I need for Chase Sapphire Preferred?
To get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, you need an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is considered 750 or higher, but applicants could be approved with a credit score closer to 700. Chase also inspects your Equifax credit report for any unfavorable marks if you’ve opened more than five credit card accounts within the last 24 months or if your credit utilization exceeded 30% of your available credit limit.
What is the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit?
The average Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit is $10,000 but can range from $5,000 to $20,000. To determine your credit limit, Chase considers your credit history, payment history and other factors, including income. Those with higher incomes are more likely to receive a higher credit limit.

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred worth it?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent choice if you have a solid credit history and will spend enough to maximize rewards — all the perks and benefits that come with this card are definitely worth the annual fee. Plus, the sign-up bonus is generous, especially when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Great card with great sign-on bonus. The sapphire preferred's point go to the ultimate rewards program is compatible with many other partners to allow you to use your points for not only travel but many other shopping experiences. Highly recommend.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Chase offers some great benefits, the Sapphire preferred card is great for international users with no conversion fees. New card for your family members comes with a one time fee. Some really good options to suit your needs. Customer care is the best and there's always someone to answer your queries in very few button clicks.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

My family’s original flight To Orlando Disneyland was canceled due to Covid. We had a credit of $2000. I went to rebook the flights to Orlando a year later with the credit. The prices that Chase rewards were quoting on the phone were more than double the price that was on the Chase travel rewards website. I decided to try going to Orlando through another airport. 12 calls later with over seven hours of phone time trying to rebook Orlando flight. Finally a rep called saying he booked the flight to Orlando for my family. I get the email about an hour later and the agent booked my family to Chicago instead. Very frustrating.

I called back explaining their error and they said they have to review the phone call and make a decision. They came back five days later saying that I agreed to fly to Chicago in the call. Total **. I asked for a copy of the call and they said it’s not company policy. They made the decision that I lost my $2000. The agents are all untrained and constantly put you on hold as if they’re asking for permission from a supervisor. Not to mention everyone that I spoke to was not proficient in English.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Chase Blue Sapphire is the WORST. I tried to correct an error through their Travel Dept. I spent 9 hours overall with their overseas call center and all they told me to do was call the airlines and have them change it. When I contacted Chase's claims center and filed a claim that Chase should have to pay the $50 in change fees from the airline, they completely misunderstood. They wanted to cancel to cancel the charge to the airline. Then they wanted to make me go back to the Travel Dept. for the claim instead. Don't waste your valuable time with them. Go somewhere else, anywhere else.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I've had the Chase Preferred Card for numerous years and was always impressed with their Travel Service Department. Prompt courteous service. They've changed their service. It's now run by Expedia and service has plummeted. First, it's nearly impossible to find a phone number even when the instructions are to call them. Trips aren't showing up in my account, I have a flight credit was told "it won't show in your account but just call us", etc. It took me 3 calls, after I finally found the number, and over 1.5 hours to simply cancel a flight. Our extended family has 6 Chase Preferred Cards and we are all contemplating not renewing because of repeated poor service. It's really too bad; it use to be great.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

My husband and I are loyal Chase customers. I spent around 4 hours with Chase Travel supervisors on the phone so they can fix an error in my flight booking that their representative made. Other than an apology I was not offered any compensation for the inconvenience that they caused me. I am extremely disappointed by the service I was provided by Chase Travel representatives. I will definitely not use your traveling service ever again!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I do have the Sapphire card. That card is targeted to people with credit score above average. Unfortunately Chase service during the COVID pandemics is very difficult to reach. To make things worse, we are among few who DO travel and specially during the pandemics we may need customer service more frequently.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I like Chase Ultimate Rewards for the transfers to airline partners, and the “pay yourself back” for dining and groceries. So why the one-star review? I used their “Chase Travel” (powered by Expedia) for two recent trips. Their agents are untrained and sadly incompetent to do even the smallest task. Anything they touch turns to crap. Be prepared to be kept on hold while they check with a supervisor for EVERY issue. So many mistakes. Your chats and phone calls will be disconnected and you’ll have to start over. Over and over. Aggravating.

If you can find and book, and keep a reservation all within their website, you should be fine. But it’s risky! Because of COVID, flights were cancelled or changed, and hotels were affected... It took WEEKS of painful interaction with their agents by chat and phone to resolve rebooking or cancellation. I have one $480 flight refund that is STILL in dispute more than a month after it was cancelled by the airline. All you get is a canned reply “We are working on it.” So, if Chase Travel is an appealing part of collecting Ultimate Rewards, think again. Booking directly with an airline or hotel is SO MUCH better. I will avoid Chase Travel at all costs. Literally!

Original review: July 23, 2020

Worst credit card I ever own. Stay away from it. I never managed to redeem the points. I lost at least 150K points. On the phone with them for hours and never resolved. I eventually give up. Stay away from this if you don't need frustration.

Original review: April 15, 2020

You’re better off booking directly with the airline. They refuse to work with you when your flight is cancelled due to COVID-19. The airline was offering a deal and Chase said it’s not part of the policy so they could do not it.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Do not use Chase travel to book your flights, they are a travel Agency that do not fight for your rights and protect the customer. Due to the Coronavirus the airlines are working with the customers to waive fees and allow rebooking. Chase Travel are not waiving any fees to rebook, they are not taking the consideration that the airlines are taking. The point is it’s better to book directly with the airlines and avoid dealing with a company that do not care about the customers in difficult times. I have been calling for hours and left on hold and be hanged. Sent emails and messages even spoke with a person that promised to call me back and resolved the issue and never did. Please avoid a headache and do not do business with them.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I used travel points to book my trip on American Airlines. I selected the upgrade feature to move from "Basic Economy" to "Main cabin Economy." This was a higher fee and allows full mileage with the airline and seat selection. Once booked and points plus money paid, American Airlines only has me down for "Basic Economy" per my email acknowledgement from them. When I called to straighten this out I spent over an hour on the phone getting the run around from Chase where they conveniently don't see any record of me making this upgrade. My receipt after booking also doesn't show that I selected an upgrade, just the cost and flight information. No distinction on the taxes and "fees". So if you book airfare with them using points, expect to get ripped off. I'm out a lot of money paying for the upgraded economy. They will now spend the next 3 days researching my case and get back to me. I'll come back and edit this if they do make it right.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Company Information