Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card
3.82/5

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Those who travel frequently will get the most out of Chase Sapphire Preferred since it’s such a great rewards card for earning points toward travel. Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, you can earn double points when you spend on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include a 1:1 point transfer ratio with Chase’s numerous partner hotels and airlines and a high signup bonus. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

BOTTOM LINE

Chase Sapphire Preferred’s wide selection of benefits and perks make it worth the $95 annual fee, making it one of the top travel reward cards in the market.

PROS

• 1:1 point transfer
  • Purchase protection
  • High signup bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Annual fee

Top Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

04/23/2018

04/20/2018

You can transfer points to several travel partners for flights, hotels and rental cars. Often it is better to transfer to partners and book directly from them.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred review

The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card offers some of the most generous travel rewards benefits. As a welcome bonus, new cardholders can earn 60,000 points when they spend $4,000 on new purchases within first three months of opening an account — equal to $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel. In addition to the attractive signup bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus categories earn 2 rewards points for every dollar spent on dining and travel expenses and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.

60,000 point bonus

1 point per dollar spent

2X points on travel

How do Chase Sapphire Preferred points work?

Cardholders earn 1 point per dollar on most purchases and double points when they spend on dining and travel. Points are worth 25% more when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to numerous Chase airline and hotel partners.

• Earning Chase Sapphire Preferred points: Earn 2 points per 1 dollar for travel and dining expenses and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Travel purchases include virtually every trip-related charge, from airline tickets purchased directly from an airline and hotel or campground accommodations to restaurants, department store shopping and more. However, Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards are not earned for in-flight or on-board goods and services or merchants within airports, services of real estate agents, sightseeing or tourist attractions.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred points redemption: Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points are worth 25% more when used to booked travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio with many leading airline and hotel partners. Popular airline partners include Southwest, JetBlue, United, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Popular hotel partners include Hyatt and Marriott. Rewards points can also be exchanged for cash or gift cards, though for a lower value of $0.001 per point.

Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits

Aside from the rewards program, Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits provide assurance on your important purchases and add security protection.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred purchase protection: Purchase protection provides coverage for eligible items bought with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card against theft, damage or loss. For up to 120 days, eligible items will be repaired, replaced or reimbursed the item up to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per account. Not all items purchased with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card are eligible, and some terms apply.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred extended warranty protection: Extended warranty protection lengthens the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of a product by one additional year. The original warranty needs to have a duration of fewer than three years, and the product must have been purchased with the credit card or reward points earned by the card to be eligible.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred contactless payments: Simply tap your contactless Chase Sapphire Preferred card at the checkout terminal and your payment will be processed in seconds. This technology is compatible with restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, coffee shops, pharmacies and other retailers around the world.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits

Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for earning and redeeming travel rewards, and cardholders enjoy added travel benefits like travel insurance, car rental insurance and priority access.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance: This travel insurance covers trip cancellations, delays and interruption, baggage delay or loss and car rental collision damage. To qualify, the trip or a portion of it needs to be paid with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Chase Ultimate Rewards. Trip cancellations and interruption can be covered up to a maximum of $10,000, and trip delays and baggage delays are covered up to a maximum of $500.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred rental car insurance: If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to rent a car and it is damaged in a collision or stolen, you can get reimbursement for the damage for up to the actual value of the vehicle. Just be sure not to purchase the rental company’s collision damage waiver.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred priority access: Most Chase cards come with a priority privilege to make boarding faster at the airport, which is normally reserved for first and business class passengers. You don’t need to go through the general boarding process — simply go to the priority lane to board at any time.

Chase Sapphire Preferred fees

There are several fees associated with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card in exchange for certain services. More rates, fees and terms are described in the Chase Sapphire Preferred Cardmember Agreement.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$95
Foreign transaction fee0%
Cash advance fee10% ($5 minimum)
Late feeUp to $38
Authorized user fee$0

Chase Sapphire Preferred FAQ

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card metal?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is made of metal and makes quite an impression when you drop it at counters. Plastic versions are also available — some cardholders have complained that the metal card can get stuck in some readers.
Do Chase Sapphire Preferred Points expire?
Many other travel rewards expire within 12 to 36 months, but Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned with this card never expire as long as the account is open. If you cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred, don’t pay your balance or bill, or if Chase suspects you are abusing or misusing the points program, you could lose the points you’ve earned.
What credit score do I need for Chase Sapphire Preferred?
To get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, you need an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is considered 750 or higher, but applicants could be approved with a credit score closer to 700. Chase also inspects your Equifax credit report for any unfavorable marks, if you’ve opened more than five credit card accounts within the last 24 months and if your credit utilization exceeded 30% of your available credit limit.
What is the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit?
The average Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit is $10,000 but can range from $5,000–$20,000. To determine your credit limit, Chase considers your credit history, payment history and other factors, like income. Those with higher incomes are more likely to receive a higher credit limit.

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred worth it?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent choice if you have a solid credit history and will spend enough to maximize rewards — all the perks and benefits that come with this card are definitely worth the annual fee. Plus, the signup bonus is generous, especially when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.

30 Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2019

Please avoid getting this card if you want to live in peace & save some of your money. Poor customer service: Their idea is to keep transferring calls without anyone being accountable. Travel points: Absolute **. I booked my flight using those points using ultimate rewards. Ticket got cancelled before the day of my flight - no communication - till date even after 1.5 months - unable to talk to them. Bonus: Everyone on phone will listen to queries but no one & absolutely no one can help you - except they can transfer calls & probably note it down & drain it in Trash. Thank You Chase! Thank you so much.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Absolute horrible. Booking through these guys is a nightmare. Unacceptable, long wait times and they are clueless on fare conditions and whatnot. I've spoken to multiple people and below are my experiences:

- Change fee of 100 dollars but turns out it's 300.
- They said they will investigate the recording and respond within 3 days. It's been 5 now with no response.
- I once spent 1 hour and 25 minutes for a lady to tell me that what I am seeing online are business class tickets (for 2k lol) and they don't have availability on those flights for economy when they are all over the internet.
- Supervisors will hang up the line and not call back.

- Consultants are very slow and lack any travel knowledge or customer experience.

Absolutely shambolic! Useless use of your points.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2019

On Dec 22 book 4 ticket in business class, everything is a nightmare, we changed from business class to economy. When I call to see what is happening, it is a call center that not speak English well. They lie to you that they happen to you with a supervisor, they tell you that you should wait 48 to 72 hours to hear the telephone recordings. When the 72 hours pass, the call does not return, you have to call and the person who answers does not know what you are talking about because nothing is documented, the ID # of the employee does not exist, it is not real and they lied to you.

You spend a week online calling on 4 occasions and each call more than 4 hours in line with them, then you receive an email that everything is confirmed as you bought it. Very well until 5 days before your flight, which is a birthday present for your wife, it is with verifying that everything is correct and you find that your flight was eliminated without notifying you.

You go back to call Chase Travel and they tell you the same story, wait 2 hours to listen to the recordings and then go to the travel agent's department to correct the error, but the problem is that they eliminated you and the flight is completely full. It's $9,000.00 in flight ticket and you have paid hotel reservations. No one is responsible, I feel like a disabled handicap, because everything is through the phone. It is the gift for my wife. Booked since December 22. Leaving May 1 to 6 San Juan PR to Bariloche Argentina. I need help, these mega companies abuse one and there are no mechanisms for one to defend themselves.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I opened a Chase Freedom card in 2008 and still use it. I’ve enjoyed its benefits – no annual fee, accumulated points on all expenditures, etc. I travel frequently so in 2018 I decided to open a Chase Sapphire card. I was awarded 50,000 points for opening. There is an annual fee, but I felt the card would pay for itself. I booked a trip in October ’18 for my son and I to go on a trip for Spring Break 2019 for four days at a 4-star hotel in Hilton Head, SC. I got a cheaper than ordinary rate for going through Chase and booking early - $289 per night (normally $339 per night). I had back-to-back trips, and was unable to make it the first night at the hotel.

I checked rules and restrictions on my Chase itinerary and unfortunately said “no-shows are subject to first night rate plus taxes” so I knew I was out the first night cost, but it mentioned nothing of canceling our room (my mistake- I should have called). My son and I drove down a day late. On the way there, I was contacted by Omni hotel to inform me I was charged first night, and my room had been booked with another guest. I was an hour away and panicked so I asked what was available. I was told they had one room available so I asked they book it for three nights… obviously at the higher rate of $339 per night ($50 more per night than my Chase booking). I asked how to get my refund for the original booking and I was told I would have to do that through Chase.

I contact Chase immediately, and the travel agent put me on hold, called the hotel, and then returned and told me I would have to pay 2 nights, plus taxes and fees. I said “no – the policy is one night. I refuse to pay double for one of my nights.” She put me on hold and insisted the hotel manager would not budge and would not refund 3 or the 4 nights (only two of the four). I was only getting half my money back. I was furious, said this was unacceptable and asked if I take it up with Chase or with Omni. She said, “The hotel decides what to bill you. We cannot change that.” I arrived at the hotel half hour later, checked-in and asked to speak to the manager. He said he had spoken directly to the Chase travel agent an hour ago and only charged one night.

He said it’s Omni’s policy and they cannot charge more than a single night for a no-show. He also said this happens frequently with bookings that aren’t direct (Travelocity, Expedia, Chase, etc). The booking agency tries to charge additionally (pocket the cost at the expense of the consumer) and blame the hotel. I was shocked. I called Chase back with the hotel manager with me on speaker. I got a different Chase agent, and suddenly I was getting refunded the cost for 3 of my four nights back, instead of two….just like I had originally requested. Just… like… that. I was stunned. Apparently, the first Chase agent thought I wouldn’t push the issue any further and decided to take advantage of me.

The second agent asked if I would like to file a complaint with her manager, and I told her I had arrived at my hotel with my 10-year-old and that I had spent way too much time on this already, and that I would complain after my vacation. I want to share the feedback now with other credit card shoppers. I was refunded mostly in points a small amount in cash. I will use my remaining points, and then close my Chase cards out. I’m a loyal customer, and I truly feel I was scammed by Chase, and had I not pursued the matter further, I would have been cheated out of over $300. I’m disappointed in Chase. I will find another card that rewards travel that doesn’t cheat their loyal customers.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been trying to activate my card for 8 weeks. The customer service team are extremely unhelpful, never call back when they say they will and either don't provide information or don't have it fully on-hand so can't give it. Absolutely the worst customer service experience I have in my whole life. Will never use this bank and highly recommend people look elsewhere for their credit card needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I just got my Sapphire Preferred card so I can’t give it a thorough review yet. However Chase has been there for me when I was rebuilding my credit, they gave me the Freedom card when nobody else would consider me and provided a low interest auto loan even though my credit was sub par. I had the Amex platinum card and while I was on vacation they blocked it and wouldn’t remove the block until I sent them paperwork I only had at home. I love Chase and I’m sure I’ll be more than happy with my new card!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Tried to deal with a travel issue and was tossed around to at least 5 people (Nathan) and then after 1 hr 30 minutes and finally got to supervisor (Iris) and was disconnected. Very interestingly, she took my phone number in the event we were disconnected and no call back. Clearly it is an offshore call center, but I have never been treated so poorly. We are still on hold for yet another supervisor. I am certain that this is an act of futility. With so many other choices out there, I will be cancelling my Chase Reserve Card. Apparently, they do not get customer service, at all. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had a dispute with a merchant who basically ripped me off and stole my money. I filed dispute through Chase. Being a Chase customer for years, I thought they would be on my side and fight the dispute for me especially because I have gone through hell with the merchant trying to get my money back. They filed the dispute and once the merchant fought back with the dispute, they sided with the merchant. I was told I would be able to submit my paperwork and documents for Chase to review and make a decision but I never got that chance. They never let me submit my documents. If you are thinking to get a Chase Sapphire card, I highly advise against it. They will not help you when you really need their help. Customer service will speak to you in a very condescending manner. I am extremely disappointed and wish I never opened this card.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I booked 2 one way airline tickets from Flagstaff, AZ to DFW on the Chase Sapphire website. I realized I was overcharged by $150 per ticket on the Chase site. There is no recourse. I checked the websites of American Airlines and Chase Sapphire today, and the same flight I booked is $500 on Chase and $380 on AA. The customer service reps say Chase does not mark up flights, but the rates are higher on Chase. The travel call center is clearly offshore, and the agents don't care at all about Sapphire customers. This is a card with a $450 annual fee. I will be cancelling my Chase Sapphire card and look for a luxury card with excellent customer service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I've been a Chase Sapphire Preferred customer for over 5 years and today was the last transaction I will ever make using this card. The customer service is not what it used to be and they will do anything possible to catch you in the small letter and make you pay interest. Thanks but no thanks!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Before completing an online transaction on my Chase Sapphire card, I called Chase Sapphire to make sure that my transaction was protected and I was told that it was and without any caveats. This call was recorded. When I did not receive the tickets I purchased online, I filed a dispute which was denied because the amount that I charged on my card was then transferred to ApplePay. After several additional phone calls and letters, I requested that the customer service representative go back and listen to the call that I made to Chase before the transaction so he could review what I was told. He said that he would listen to it but it would not change the outcome! This was a recorded call as well. Imagine that- it doesn't matter what I asked or what we said, our mind is made up!!! You lose! NOT A COMPANY THAT I HAVE MUCH TRUST IN ANYMORE!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Filed a claim for a damaged LG TV under the Sapphire Reserve damage protection. After 3 months, endless phone calls, requests for more information and pictures, I can not get a response when the claim will be paid. They stink and Chase Sapphire is not Amex.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Recently, I booked a flight and a rental car, using my Chase Rewards. I was going to Italy. The plane, a United flight, was late arriving at Fiumicino. Then, of course, customs was slow, and baggage was late to the carousel. That made me about 1 hour and 15 minutes late to pick up my rental car, at Avis-Budget in the airport. When I got there, I was told that I had lost my rental, and that I needed to pay more for a car of lesser quality.

Once I got home and all the charges had come through on my Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, I started the process of disputing the charges. First with Budget-Avis, which was a waste of time; and then with Chase, which turned out to be another waste of time. It turns out that Avis-Budget included a clause that essentially allowed them to take my money and never give me a car if I was even a minute late arriving at their counter to claim my reservation. That means that I cannot dispute the charges, despite their being just wrong.

So, I decided to take advantage of the "travel insurance" one receives as a result of paying the annual fee to hold a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Turns out that insurance doesn't cover one when an airline is late and makes one lose his prepaid rental car, and the money sent to Avis-Budget for that rental. Chase's insurance policy covers one only if one's flight is delayed because of terrorism or bad weather. One is not covered because the airline one is flying on just doesn't arrive on time.

The best part of it all is that this policy is underwritten by Chase Bank, itself. Chase wrote the terms of the policy it holds with itself, on behalf of Chase Sapphire Preferred customers. That seems like seriously unscrupulous self-dealing, to me. I am currently reconsidering whether or not it makes sense to continue to pay that rather pricey, annual fee. I urge others to consider just what they get for paying their annual fee for holding the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Each year, fewer and fewer perks are included with the card, and I earn fewer and fewer rewards points on transactions made using the card. At a certain point, paying Chase money to hold that card makes no sense.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Have had this card since 1999, used as our primary card and have had numerous trips using it. Customer service worldwide is great but interest rates are awful, never run a balance on it!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

Initially I liked the travel service. It was very boutique in style, very customized, very helpful but now it is very ordinary. In fact travel with American Airlines is fine. Customer service personnel are helpful and want to satisfy the customer. And I pay a fee for using their devices to make flight arrangements.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The hotels and flights are mostly teasers as to utilize our lots of restrictions (travel dates) and that is not how I travel. If you are a traveler that has set locations you want to visit and set cities you want to stay in...then chances of availing of flight and hotel deals are slim... If you are a traveler that will take whatever opportunity is provided...then is perfect.

Original review: April 25, 2018

It's really good but if you don't mind $150 fees, Chase Sapphire Reserve is better than this as they give $300 travel credits back and 3 points for Travel/Dinner for every dollar spent. Compared to Chase preferred $95 annual fee (waived first year), you get 2 points for Travel/Dinner.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I got the card to try for a year for free to see how I liked it. I ordered the card and they took their sweet time getting it to me so I missed using it on a big ticket item that would have given me triple points. Not wanting to pay interest charges I would prepay some of the balance before the due date. One time I made a payment of 50% of the balance, then after some maneuvering I realized I could afford to pay more off so I went to make a second payment of the same day. It wouldn't allow me to do it. I called customer service and told them what happened and asked if there was a program glitch. She said no.

She really didn't have any answers just, "That's the way we do it." I decide that Chase Sapphire wasn't customer oriented, they should want to make things as easy for me as possible and that didn't seem to be a priority so I canceled the card about 50 days prior to the end of my year trial period. As far as other perks I didn't notice me getting any or people telling me I qualified for them. To me it was a credit card that cost "X" number of dollars, was more difficult to pay off and didn't justify its price over a credit card that was free.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I am someone who uses the card and lets the miles pile up without paying much attention. After difficulties trying to use the miles to buy airline tickets, and with the new cost that has been added to the use of miles, I don't expect much anymore. I did, however, use the miles to upgrade to business class on a recent trip to Asia and it would have been a grueling trip if I had had to fly Economy.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Love this card. Easy to transfer airline miles. The customer service is excellent and the bonus alone is worth getting this card. I have 5 credit cards and this is my main card.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Lots of rewards points, easy to use the point and travel points get accumulated faster. Interest rate is not much and gives more points or reward when used for travel on the Chase site.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Airline points required to travel with Chase are about double Citibank AAdvantage. Switched to Citibank because the points required to travel are much lower. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 20, 2018

With this card, you can transfer points to several travel partners for flights, hotels and rental cars. Often it is better to transfer to partners and book directly from them.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have not used the Chase Credit Card yet, but I would like to try it by any chance, so please let me know how can I apply for it to give my actual experience of it. Thanks.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had superior service and courtesy from the Sapphire people, and the perks that came with the card are much appreciated by me as a 15x per year traveler. But I wouldn’t do this care at the interest rate if I didn’t pay it off each month. It’s pretty exorbitant for all those free perks (wink).

Original review: April 17, 2018

Interest rate is way too high and benefit doesn’t outweigh the cost. This was an awesome idea when Amex had the points. Can’t begin to explain how you are ripping people off.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Southwest Rapid Rewards via the Chase Credit Card program are the most generous, excellent earning options via purchases, hotel stays... Sometimes there are even double point promotions with certain vendors. Couldn't be happier with it.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I enjoy using my Chase Freedom credit cards very much. I lost one at the grocery store and it did not take Chase Bank long at all to send me a new credit card. The card I use most often has 7% interest rate so I certainly love that very much.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Chase charges a late fee & interest on the day the payment is due at 12:01 am. That's outrageous. You can call & they reverse the charges because they received your payment that same day. But it shows as a fee was applied to the account. Illegal and unethical.

Original review: April 13, 2018

There should be more airport lounges in the network for priority pass. I have had the credit card for several years and never able to enjoy a participating airport lounge.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Company Information