Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card
3.23/5

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Those who travel frequently will get the most out of Chase Sapphire Preferred since it’s such a great rewards card for earning points toward travel. Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, you can earn double points when you spend on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include a 1:1 point transfer ratio with Chase’s numerous partner hotels and airlines and a high signup bonus. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

BOTTOM LINE

Chase Sapphire Preferred’s wide selection of benefits and perks make it worth the $95 annual fee, making it one of the top travel reward cards in the market.

PROS

• 1:1 point transfer
  • Purchase protection
  • High signup bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Annual fee

Top Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

Love this card. Easy to transfer airline miles. The customer service is excellent and the bonus alone is worth getting this card.

You can transfer points to several travel partners for flights, hotels and rental cars. Often it is better to transfer to partners and book directly from them.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred review

The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card offers some of the most generous travel rewards benefits available. As a welcome bonus, new cardholders earn 60,000 points when they spend $4,000 on new purchases within the first three months of opening an account, which is equal to $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel.

chase sapphire preferredRecommended Credit:
Excellent
Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 within 3 months
  • 2x points on travel and dining
  • $95 annual fee
Learn more

In addition to the attractive sign-up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus categories earn 2 rewards points for every dollar spent on dining and travel expenses and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.

60,000 point bonus

1 point per dollar spent

2X points on travel

How do Chase Sapphire Preferred points work?

Cardholders earn 1 point per dollar on most purchases and double points when they use their card for dining and travel. Points are worth 25% more when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to numerous Chase airline and hotel partners.

• Earning Chase Sapphire Preferred points: Earn 2 points per each dollar spent for travel and dining expenses and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Travel purchases include virtually every trip-related charge, including airline tickets purchased directly from an airline, hotel or campground accommodations, restaurant charges, department store shopping and more. However, Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards are not earned for in-flight or on-board goods and services, merchants inside airports, services of real estate agents, sightseeing or tourist attractions.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred points redemption: Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points are worth 25% more when used to booked travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio with many leading airline and hotel partners. Popular airline partners include Southwest, JetBlue, United, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Popular hotel partners include Hyatt and Marriott. Rewards points can also be exchanged for cash or gift cards, though for a lower value of $0.001 per point.

Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits

Aside from the rewards program, Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits provide assurance on your important purchases and add security protection.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred purchase protection: Purchase protection provides coverage against theft, damage or loss for eligible items bought with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card. For up to 120 days, eligible items will be repaired, replaced or reimbursed up to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per account. Not all items purchased with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card are eligible, and some terms apply.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred extended warranty protection: Extended warranty protection lengthens the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of a product by one additional year. The original warranty needs to have a duration of fewer than three years, and the product must have been purchased with the credit card or reward points earned by the card to be eligible.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred contactless payments: Simply tap your contactless Chase Sapphire Preferred card at the checkout terminal and your payment is processed in seconds. This technology works at restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, coffee shops, pharmacies and other retailers around the world.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits

Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for earning and redeeming travel rewards, and cardholders enjoy added travel benefits like travel insurance, car rental insurance and priority access.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance: This travel insurance covers trip cancellations, delays and interruptions, baggage delays or loss and car rental collision damage. To qualify, the trip, or a portion of it, needs to be paid for with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Chase Ultimate Rewards. Trip cancellations and interruption can be covered up to a maximum of $10,000, and trip delays and baggage delays are covered up to a maximum of $500.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred rental car insurance: If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to rent a car and it is damaged in a collision or stolen, you can get reimbursement for the damage for up to the actual value of the vehicle. Just be sure not to purchase the rental company’s collision damage waiver.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred priority access: Most Chase cards come with a priority privilege to make boarding faster at the airport, which is normally reserved for first and business class passengers. You don’t need to go through the general boarding process — simply go to the priority lane to board at any time.

Chase Sapphire Preferred fees

Certain Chase Sapphire Preferred card services come with additional fees. More rates, fees and terms are described in the Chase Sapphire Preferred Cardmember Agreement.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$95
Foreign transaction fee0%
Cash advance fee10% ($5 minimum)
Late feeUp to $38
Authorized user fee$0

Chase Sapphire Preferred FAQ

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card metal?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is made of metal and makes quite an impression when you drop it at counters. Plastic versions are also available — some cardholders have complained that the metal card can get stuck in some readers.
Do Chase Sapphire Preferred Points expire?
Many other travel rewards expire within 12 to 36 months, but Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned with this card never expire as long as the account is open. If you cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred, don’t pay your balance or bill, or if Chase suspects you are abusing or misusing the points program, you could lose the points you’ve earned.
What credit score do I need for Chase Sapphire Preferred?
To get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, you need an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is considered 750 or higher, but applicants could be approved with a credit score closer to 700. Chase also inspects your Equifax credit report for any unfavorable marks if you’ve opened more than five credit card accounts within the last 24 months or if your credit utilization exceeded 30% of your available credit limit.
What is the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit?
The average Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit is $10,000 but can range from $5,000 to $20,000. To determine your credit limit, Chase considers your credit history, payment history and other factors, including income. Those with higher incomes are more likely to receive a higher credit limit.

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred worth it?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent choice if you have a solid credit history and will spend enough to maximize rewards — all the perks and benefits that come with this card are definitely worth the annual fee. Plus, the sign-up bonus is generous, especially when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

This started with a credit card charge being questioned for fraud. I received a call on November 5th, 2019 at 1631 PM EST asking about a charge on the card that could be potential fraud. I called the Chase fraud department the following morning, November 6th, 2019 at 1007 AM EST and spent 20 minutes on the line and got the charge approved and cleared.

A few hours later I go to log in to my Chase online account, that is locked. I call again, November 6th, 2019 at 1430 PM EST to have that unlocked and spend 40 minutes on the phone. I go down to the bank to pull money out of the ATM using my debit card. My debit card is locked. I go into the bank location, November 6th, 2019 at approx 1730 PM EST and ask them to please unlock my card. The Officer/Relationship Banker, at the bank location calls someone internally at Chase. Has my bank debit card unlocked, I ask him if there are going to be any further issues regarding my accounts. He asks the person on the phone. They state no there should be no further issues. Neglecting to mention to me that my Chase Sapphire Reserve card being locked for up to 10 business days.

So I go out to dinner and go to pay using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It is declined. I call the number, November 6th, 2019 at 2049 PM EST, on the back of the card. The lady explains to me that my account is locked for fraud investigation, but won't tell me anymore. I pay for my dinner with another card and call the number I had been given earlier for the fraud call I made first thing in the morning. This call is made November 6th, 2019 at 2131 PM EST. The lady that answers the phone gives me more details and says the account will be locked for the next 10 business days and that there is nothing she can do about it and I need to contact the fraud investigation department directly, but that they are closed until the morning.

This morning, November 7th, 2019 at 0910 AM EST, I reach out to the number for the fraud investigation unit, which turns out to actually be the ACCOUNT REVIEW DEPARTMENT. They tell me my account is under review for the next 10 CALENDAR DAYS. That this is all in the card member agreement that these accounts will go under review and that ALL accounts go under review.

Well guess what, the one thing it says about this I copied and pasted below. Not anywhere in the card member agreement from their own website does it say this card will go under a review and be locked for 10 calendar days. I travel for work internationally and that is the reason I got this card. I don't normally carry multiple cards with me when I am in another country. If I had been in another country when this happened I would have been screwed. No way to pay for travel, lodging, food, or anything I else I may have needed. The best part is, ALL OF MY TRAVEL EXPENSES ARE PAID FOR BY MY COMPANY! It is guaranteed that EVERY TIME I travel it is going to be paid for in full.

You have lost a customer for life Chase. I will be closing all of my accounts with you, including my Checking, Savings, and all of my Chase credit cards (Which by the way before yesterday, HAVE NEVER BEEN UNDER REVIEW, NOT ONCE EVER). CHASE CARD MEMBER AGREEMENT COL00083 - https://www.chase.com/content/feed/public/creditcards/cma/Chase/COL00083.pdf. "We will assign a credit access line to your account, and post it on your monthly billing statement. We may cancel, change or restrict your credit availability at any time. Each transaction is considered for approval on an individual basis, including those above the credit access line. We may not approve all transactions."

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Part of my flight was cancelled and I had to pay out of pocket to reach the destination. After contacting Chase Travel agents for 3 months straight, I still have not received a refund. Stay away from booking through Chase.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I was trying to pay for a computer at the Apple store yesterday (11/1/2019). My charge been denied, I called the customer service, they keep give me all kind of problem, keep transfer to security department, keep asked me read out my card number in the Apple store where everyone can heard my card number.. After more than 30 minutes, I finally gave up. I use my American Express to purchased my new MacBook Pro. I called again this morning, the customer service still absolute horrible. Chase Sapphire suppose a decent card, besides their customer service just not up the the standard!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I booked a vacation using my Chase points and was excited to leave. Unfortunately there was a mistake in the name on my ticket which resulted in me having to book another flight and pay for it out of pocket. The customer support was very unhelpful as I tried to ensure the error didn't invalidate my return flight also. 3 calls of more than 1 hour were stressful and unhelpful. All in all their disappointing customer service and booking experience ruined my vacation.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I booked a cancellable stay with Chicago Athletic Association for 9/27-29. Later, I needed to cancel, and the website wouldn't let me cancel. I then called the customer service number, and was redirected time and time again. Finally, I sent a secure message through my Sapphire Preferred account explaining the difficulties (impossibility) of canceling through the web or phone. I received a response to let me know that they would forward my request to the appropriate department and the department should respond within 6 days. Today, I received a text from Chicago Athletic Association asking about my stay.

When I called Chase Travel Customer Service, the representative asked Chicago Athletic Association to refund the money. To me, the onus should have been on Chase, not CAA. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, Chris said that Chase and Chase Travel are 2 different entities, and that I failed to cancel. I am now out 35,000 Ultimate Reward points. Essentially, I was supposed to be on top of them about cancelling and could not rely on their word that they would forward the request to the appropriate department. Good grief.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I’ve been a Chase sapphire card holder for over 7 years and I’m now going to cancel my card. They switched their travel rewards over to Expedia and it took over 3 hours on the phone to change my ticket because the representative (based in the Philippines) made at least 4 mistakes. Finally, it was changed by a supervisor. Today I checked my statement and I was double charged by chase for my ticket change fee so I had to call back with another 1 hour on the phone. The absolute worst service. Their customer service has gone done massively in the last couple of years because they’ve outsourced their services to call centers with Expedia, overseas.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Account Closed - $100 Away from Sapphire Reward. The title pretty much sums it up. I signed up for a chase credit card, and upon being just over $100 away from the three month - $4000 spending reward, my account was abruptly closed with no reasoning provided.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

You lying scam company. CHASE SAPPHIRE IS A SCAM. Your travel department was sold to EXPEDIA. The worst company for booking. Now I have a ticket with LEVEL 1 Airline to come home from London, when I booked British Airways. Your supervisor from Oklahoma has been yelling at me for 30 minutes and your OFFLINE ticketing is not responding to my request to change the ticket to an airline that is not going out of business! SCAM, FALSE ADVERTISING. I would have never booked a ticket with Expedia! They are the worst. I should rethink my credit cards and change all of my chase credit card including my mortgage with a company that actually give what you bought!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Worst card ever for travel!!! We were going to visit the Bahamas next month with our child, but given the situation with the diseases and 70,000 people homeless, we decided to cancel our trip. So, when I called Chase, I was forwarded to Travel, then to Benefits, then back to Travel, and then finally back to the Chase Preferred Department. I have been on the phone trying to get this resolved for over 1.5 weeks. Friday, I was on hold for 52 minutes 10 seconds WITH A SUPERVISOR. She never even came back to the line.

Today, I was on the phone for over 2 HOURS! The only thing they can do is have me pay an additional $150 to change the flight on JetBlue, and UNITED WILL ONLY GIVE ME A CREDIT IF I PROMISE TO USE IT TO TRAVEL TO THE BAHAMAS! Are you kidding! Chase tells me all the time that I am a "valued customer;" however, if that is the case, I would hate to see how non-valued customers are treated. I understand if I had just changed my mind on this trip. However, I am just looking out for the safety and health of my child and family. I will NEVER use my points or contact Chase Travel ever again. What a disappointment!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

If you are looking for a credit card which can protect your travel, don't choose the Chase products. They are just jokes! I have different cards from both Chase and Citi and I did several claims so far on each of them. Chase is just hypocrite which promise you the best but give you the worst! I have a damaged luggage case which I file a claim with Chase. They took like more than half year to proceed. I have uploaded all the documents in the first time and they just pretend stupid keep saying some of the document is missing from the email response.

Eventually I take the time to call them and check with those documents one by one. They realized they cannot lie again then told me some of my document is blurry. What a good excuse! All the documents I sent are by email not fax and they are more clear than enough. When they see they cannot fool me any more, they sent me a email "Congratulation! You got a reimbursement of $10". What a great insult! Thank you Chase, you let me see your true color.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Company Information