Disclosures
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

3.2/5 (49 ratings)

About Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Those who travel frequently will get the most out of Chase Sapphire Preferred since it’s such a great rewards card for earning points toward travel. Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, you can earn double points when you spend on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include a 1:1 point transfer ratio with Chase’s numerous partner hotels and airlines and a high signup bonus. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

Pros

• 1:1 point transfer
  • Purchase protection
  • High signup bonus

Cons

• No intro APR
  • Annual fee

Bottom Line

Chase Sapphire Preferred’s wide selection of benefits and perks make it worth the $95 annual fee, making it one of the top travel reward cards in the market.

Top Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Verified

Chase offers some great benefits, the Sapphire preferred card is great for international users with no conversion fees. ... Some really good options to suit your needs. Customer c...

Verified

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Great card with great sign-on bonus. The sapphire preferred's point go to the ultimate rewards program is compatible with many other partners ...

Chase Sapphire Preferred review

The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card offers some of the most generous travel rewards benefits available. As a welcome bonus, new cardholders earn 60,000 points when they spend $4,000 on new purchases within the first three months of opening an account, which is equal to $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel.

chase sapphire preferredRecommended Credit:
Excellent
Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • 60,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 within 3 months
  • 2x points on travel and dining
  • $95 annual fee
Learn more

In addition to the attractive sign-up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus categories earn 2 rewards points for every dollar spent on dining and travel expenses and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.

60,000 point bonus

1 point per dollar spent

2X points on travel

How do Chase Sapphire Preferred points work?

Cardholders earn 1 point per dollar on most purchases and double points when they use their card for dining and travel. Points are worth 25% more when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to numerous Chase airline and hotel partners.

• Earning Chase Sapphire Preferred points: Earn 2 points per each dollar spent for travel and dining expenses and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Travel purchases include virtually every trip-related charge, including airline tickets purchased directly from an airline, hotel or campground accommodations, restaurant charges, department store shopping and more. However, Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards are not earned for in-flight or on-board goods and services, merchants inside airports, services of real estate agents, sightseeing or tourist attractions.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred points redemption: Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points are worth 25% more when used to booked travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio with many leading airline and hotel partners. Popular airline partners include Southwest, JetBlue, United, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Popular hotel partners include Hyatt and Marriott. Rewards points can also be exchanged for cash or gift cards, though for a lower value of $0.001 per point.

Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits

Aside from the rewards program, Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits provide assurance on your important purchases and add security protection.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred purchase protection: Purchase protection provides coverage against theft, damage or loss for eligible items bought with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card. For up to 120 days, eligible items will be repaired, replaced or reimbursed up to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per account. Not all items purchased with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card are eligible, and some terms apply.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred extended warranty protection: Extended warranty protection lengthens the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of a product by one additional year. The original warranty needs to have a duration of fewer than three years, and the product must have been purchased with the credit card or reward points earned by the card to be eligible.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred contactless payments: Simply tap your contactless Chase Sapphire Preferred card at the checkout terminal and your payment is processed in seconds. This technology works at restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, coffee shops, pharmacies and other retailers around the world.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits

Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for earning and redeeming travel rewards, and cardholders enjoy added travel benefits like travel insurance, car rental insurance and priority access.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance: This travel insurance covers trip cancellations, delays and interruptions, baggage delays or loss and car rental collision damage. To qualify, the trip, or a portion of it, needs to be paid for with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Chase Ultimate Rewards. Trip cancellations and interruption can be covered up to a maximum of $10,000, and trip delays and baggage delays are covered up to a maximum of $500.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred rental car insurance: If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to rent a car and it is damaged in a collision or stolen, you can get reimbursement for the damage for up to the actual value of the vehicle. Just be sure not to purchase the rental company’s collision damage waiver.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred priority access: Most Chase cards come with a priority privilege to make boarding faster at the airport, which is normally reserved for first and business class passengers. You don’t need to go through the general boarding process — simply go to the priority lane to board at any time.

Chase Sapphire Preferred fees

Certain Chase Sapphire Preferred card services come with additional fees. More rates, fees and terms are described in the Chase Sapphire Preferred Cardmember Agreement.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$95
Foreign transaction fee0%
Cash advance fee10% ($5 minimum)
Late feeUp to $38
Authorized user fee$0

Chase Sapphire Preferred FAQ

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card metal?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is made of metal and makes quite an impression when you drop it at counters. Plastic versions are also available — some cardholders have complained that the metal card can get stuck in some readers.
Do Chase Sapphire Preferred Points expire?
Many other travel rewards expire within 12 to 36 months, but Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned with this card never expire as long as the account is open. If you cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred, don’t pay your balance or bill, or if Chase suspects you are abusing or misusing the points program, you could lose the points you’ve earned.
What credit score do I need for Chase Sapphire Preferred?
To get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, you need an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is considered 750 or higher, but applicants could be approved with a credit score closer to 700. Chase also inspects your Equifax credit report for any unfavorable marks if you’ve opened more than five credit card accounts within the last 24 months or if your credit utilization exceeded 30% of your available credit limit.
What is the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit?
The average Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit is $10,000 but can range from $5,000 to $20,000. To determine your credit limit, Chase considers your credit history, payment history and other factors, including income. Those with higher incomes are more likely to receive a higher credit limit.

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred worth it?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent choice if you have a solid credit history and will spend enough to maximize rewards — all the perks and benefits that come with this card are definitely worth the annual fee. Plus, the sign-up bonus is generous, especially when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

If you are consider obtaining a Chase Sapphire Credit Card, please do not. I purchased a Chase Sapphire Credit Card for the travel benefits. If I could rate Chase Travel negative stars, I would as I have had one of the absolute worst customer service experience possible with them. After saving up a large number of points, four months ago I purchased an airline flight for my four person family over the winter holiday season. I paid a premium to travel at the times and on the dates I selected.

Approximately four months after buying the tickets thru CHASE TRAVEL, the airline cancelled the flights and changed the flight times. I reached out to Chase Travel to request that they work with me and pay the cost to get me on the flights times/dates (or as close as possible) to what I originally booked. Initially, Chase Travel blamed the airline and said that there was nothing they could do. I contacted the airline and they said that Chase Travel controls the ticketing and reservation.

I spent 3-4 hours on the phone with Chase Travel representatives and supervisors and they refused to take any responsibility for the travel booked thru them. To rebook the flights I originally booked now (3 weeks before travel) would cost me an additional several thousand dollars. Chase Travel offered me 20,000 points (about $200). Chase Travel is terrible, their customer service department has provided one of the worst customer service experiences I have had. I would strongly recommend to anyone that is considering purchasing this credit card that they do not do so.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I have been using the Chase Sapphire Preferred and IHG Reward cards for a few years now and I'm cancelling both today despite taking a hit in the credit score. I had to make a total of 8 phone calls over the course of 3.5 months to get two airplane tickets canceled and refunded. The refund for the second ticket is still not done. These people WON'T do anything until you call and remind them of their job. Every time I called, someone always "forgot" to do something the last time. Also if you need to switch flights (happened to me TWICE), their prices are ALWAYS $100-$200 higher than the prices you see on Google Flights. Complete rip-off and sub-standard customer service.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I recently decided to move my banking from Bank of America to Chase due to a bad customer service experience with BOA. I opened 5 Sapphire accounts at a branch near me (for myself and my children), funded the accounts and set up all my payees, e-bills, auto-pay, etc. Everything seemed to work just fine. Shortly after that, I started receiving multiple calls and alerts from Chase Fraud Department, for regular payments and transfers that I made from my new accounts. This was annoying but I guess it had to do with the fact that the account was new, and I verified each transaction over the phone. Then, within a week, my son received an alert on his Chase app saying that his account was locked and that all accounts would be closed soon. Interestingly, I did not receive any alerts and my account continued to be accessible and unrestricted. His account was locked and inaccessible.

I called the number that I found on my son's alert the alert to ask what was happening. I called 4 times and each time, after a few minutes, the call dropped and I never received a call back. I then called the branch manager at the branch where I had opened the accounts to ask for more info, and after inquiring he called me back and confirmed that all accounts would be closed, without any further explanation. If I wanted, I could come in and open new accounts. Since this made no sense, I decided to move my banking back to BoA, and made a wire-transfer from Chase to my old BoA account that I had not yet closed. 3 days later, Chase Fraud called me and said that since the money had not been in the account for at least 3 days, the transfer would be cancelled and I had to redo it.

The money was available and I could pay or withdraw it or use it to pay bill, but not to transfer out to my BoA account. As a result of this delay, an outgoing payment from BoA caused my account to be overdrawn (for the first time in my life), and I incurred overdraft fees. I now closed all my new Chase accounts and will never do business with this bank again. Something is clearly wrong with Chase fraud prevention procedures, and the customer service experience was the worst I have ever experienced. For a bank that is rated as one of the best and largest, this was very disappointing.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I had booked a few tickets to Miami in Jan for April. Go to get on and 5 out of the 6 tickets were good. My Girlfriend who had never flown in her life before happened to be the ticket that didn't work. Called Chase Travel and after 2 hours and missed flight they told me to just buy new flights for me and her. They said they would refund me the tickets and give me 7,500 points for the inconvenience. That was a lie one. I sent all required information and was never refunded until I called back. And when I called back they said they could not honor the 7,500 points. Horrible experience and will never use their service again. Traveling is already stressful enough. Don't need added stress by using chase travel as a middleman that will mess up your order and then not stand by their word.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I’ve been a loyal Chase cc customer since college. Have the Reserve card (their most prestigious for travel with highest annual fee). Over the past year, they’ve messed up so many times with my travel and with cc holders I know. Eg. Multiple times where flight was booked with chase but chase didn’t actually book with the airline. Wrong name on ticket. Lost airline credits/records. Mess ups and overpayment due to language issues on the agent's side. Amex has 10x better service so if this continues I can’t justify the perks with wanting to throw my phone out the window every time I book with chase travel. They’ve become the absolute worst travel agency. Expect anything other than booking a new reservation to take a couple hours of your time.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I canceled a flight that I booked back in December through the Chase Loyalty card program and wanted to use the credit to rebook a flight two months later. When I logged on to view my canceled flights there was no information listed on my profile. I then called customer service to rebook. They told me that they were only able to rebook my flight via phone. So then I was on the phone for two hours waiting for the agent to confirm the flight. She was unable to confirm the flight so she transferred me to the operations team and while waiting the call was dropped.

No one called me back so I then proceeded to call again. Another customer service agent answered and proceeded to take another hour and was also unable to help book the flight. She transferred me to another group and they were supposedly able to book and said I should receive an email in 2 hours. I didn't receive an email and thus I called again to double-check. That loyalty agent told me that nothing was booked and then proceeded to transfer me again to another group and then that person was able to book but rebooked incorrectly (one-way vs. round trip).

I then asked to speak with a manager. That manager was finally able to book (it took about two hours in total). I waited until I received an email with my flights confirmed. Now two days before my trip I received a call from an agent telling me that they couldn't get me on my return flight and will need to push the flight time 12 hours. I have been a loyal Chase customer for many years now and always praised the brand but this is unacceptable customer service and technology issues.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Paid 95 dollar fee to have this card for travel benefits upfront. Credit cards are free for the first year but not this one. The travel sector is absolutely useless as is outside to the Philippines and these people do not understand English and cannot handle the smallest problem with a booking. The Chase credit card company claims no responsibility for the poor service with the Chase travel branch. I have only wasted my money and time. I'm and I do not recommend this credit card to anyone! Get an American Airlines card or a United Airlines card instead.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Do not use the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card for any online purchase. If you use their card to order from any online merchant & nothing arrived you are still responsible for the purchase. Read the company's fine print agreement. Have documentation from their dispute department. Use Discover or Barclays credit card. Be safe. Raymond

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

My family’s original flight To Orlando Disneyland was canceled due to Covid. We had a credit of $2000. I went to rebook the flights to Orlando a year later with the credit. The prices that Chase rewards were quoting on the phone were more than double the price that was on the Chase travel rewards website. I decided to try going to Orlando through another airport. 12 calls later with over seven hours of phone time trying to rebook Orlando flight. Finally a rep called saying he booked the flight to Orlando for my family. I get the email about an hour later and the agent booked my family to Chicago instead. Very frustrating.

I called back explaining their error and they said they have to review the phone call and make a decision. They came back five days later saying that I agreed to fly to Chicago in the call. Total **. I asked for a copy of the call and they said it’s not company policy. They made the decision that I lost my $2000. The agents are all untrained and constantly put you on hold as if they’re asking for permission from a supervisor. Not to mention everyone that I spoke to was not proficient in English.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Chase Blue Sapphire is the WORST. I tried to correct an error through their Travel Dept. I spent 9 hours overall with their overseas call center and all they told me to do was call the airlines and have them change it. When I contacted Chase's claims center and filed a claim that Chase should have to pay the $50 in change fees from the airline, they completely misunderstood. They wanted to cancel to cancel the charge to the airline. Then they wanted to make me go back to the Travel Dept. for the claim instead. Don't waste your valuable time with them. Go somewhere else, anywhere else.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Company Information