Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card
3.58/5

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Those who travel frequently will get the most out of Chase Sapphire Preferred since it’s such a great rewards card for earning points toward travel. Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, you can earn double points when you spend on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on everything else. Additional Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include a 1:1 point transfer ratio with Chase’s numerous partner hotels and airlines and a high signup bonus. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.

BOTTOM LINE

Chase Sapphire Preferred’s wide selection of benefits and perks make it worth the $95 annual fee, making it one of the top travel reward cards in the market.

PROS

• 1:1 point transfer
  • Purchase protection
  • High signup bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Annual fee

Top Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Reviews

04/23/2018

Love this card. Easy to transfer airline miles. The customer service is excellent and the bonus alone is worth getting this card.

04/20/2018

You can transfer points to several travel partners for flights, hotels and rental cars. Often it is better to transfer to partners and book directly from them.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred review

The Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card offers some of the most generous travel rewards benefits. As a welcome bonus, new cardholders can earn 60,000 points when they spend $4,000 on new purchases within first three months of opening an account — equal to $750 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards for travel. In addition to the attractive signup bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus categories earn 2 rewards points for every dollar spent on dining and travel expenses and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.

60,000 point bonus

1 point per dollar spent

2X points on travel

How do Chase Sapphire Preferred points work?

Cardholders earn 1 point per dollar on most purchases and double points when they spend on dining and travel. Points are worth 25% more when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards or transfer at a 1:1 ratio to numerous Chase airline and hotel partners.

• Earning Chase Sapphire Preferred points: Earn 2 points per 1 dollar for travel and dining expenses and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Travel purchases include virtually every trip-related charge, from airline tickets purchased directly from an airline and hotel or campground accommodations to restaurants, department store shopping and more. However, Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards are not earned for in-flight or on-board goods and services or merchants within airports, services of real estate agents, sightseeing or tourist attractions.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred points redemption: Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points are worth 25% more when used to booked travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio with many leading airline and hotel partners. Popular airline partners include Southwest, JetBlue, United, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. Popular hotel partners include Hyatt and Marriott. Rewards points can also be exchanged for cash or gift cards, though for a lower value of $0.001 per point.

Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits

Aside from the rewards program, Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits provide assurance on your important purchases and add security protection.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred purchase protection: Purchase protection provides coverage for eligible items bought with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card against theft, damage or loss. For up to 120 days, eligible items will be repaired, replaced or reimbursed the item up to $500 per claim, up to $50,000 per account. Not all items purchased with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card are eligible, and some terms apply.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred extended warranty protection: Extended warranty protection lengthens the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of a product by one additional year. The original warranty needs to have a duration of fewer than three years, and the product must have been purchased with the credit card or reward points earned by the card to be eligible.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred contactless payments: Simply tap your contactless Chase Sapphire Preferred card at the checkout terminal and your payment will be processed in seconds. This technology is compatible with restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, coffee shops, pharmacies and other retailers around the world.

Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits

Chase Sapphire Preferred is great for earning and redeeming travel rewards, and cardholders enjoy added travel benefits like travel insurance, car rental insurance and priority access.

• Chase Sapphire Preferred travel insurance: This travel insurance covers trip cancellations, delays and interruption, baggage delay or loss and car rental collision damage. To qualify, the trip or a portion of it needs to be paid with your Chase Sapphire Preferred card or Chase Ultimate Rewards. Trip cancellations and interruption can be covered up to a maximum of $10,000, and trip delays and baggage delays are covered up to a maximum of $500.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred rental car insurance: If you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to rent a car and it is damaged in a collision or stolen, you can get reimbursement for the damage for up to the actual value of the vehicle. Just be sure not to purchase the rental company’s collision damage waiver.
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred priority access: Most Chase cards come with a priority privilege to make boarding faster at the airport, which is normally reserved for first and business class passengers. You don’t need to go through the general boarding process — simply go to the priority lane to board at any time.

Chase Sapphire Preferred fees

There are several fees associated with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card in exchange for certain services. More rates, fees and terms are described in the Chase Sapphire Preferred Cardmember Agreement.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$95
Foreign transaction fee0%
Cash advance fee10% ($5 minimum)
Late feeUp to $38
Authorized user fee$0

Chase Sapphire Preferred FAQ

Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred card metal?
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is made of metal and makes quite an impression when you drop it at counters. Plastic versions are also available — some cardholders have complained that the metal card can get stuck in some readers.
Do Chase Sapphire Preferred Points expire?
Many other travel rewards expire within 12 to 36 months, but Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned with this card never expire as long as the account is open. If you cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred, don’t pay your balance or bill, or if Chase suspects you are abusing or misusing the points program, you could lose the points you’ve earned.
What credit score do I need for Chase Sapphire Preferred?
To get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, you need an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is considered 750 or higher, but applicants could be approved with a credit score closer to 700. Chase also inspects your Equifax credit report for any unfavorable marks, if you’ve opened more than five credit card accounts within the last 24 months and if your credit utilization exceeded 30% of your available credit limit.
What is the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit?
The average Chase Sapphire Preferred credit limit is $10,000 but can range from $5,000–$20,000. To determine your credit limit, Chase considers your credit history, payment history and other factors, like income. Those with higher incomes are more likely to receive a higher credit limit.

Is Chase Sapphire Preferred worth it?

The Chase Sapphire Preferred card is an excellent choice if you have a solid credit history and will spend enough to maximize rewards — all the perks and benefits that come with this card are definitely worth the annual fee. Plus, the signup bonus is generous, especially when redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.

36 Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Account Closed - $100 Away from Sapphire Reward. The title pretty much sums it up. I signed up for a chase credit card, and upon being just over $100 away from the three month - $4000 spending reward, my account was abruptly closed with no reasoning provided.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

You lying scam company. CHASE SAPPHIRE IS A SCAM. Your travel department was sold to EXPEDIA. The worst company for booking. Now I have a ticket with LEVEL 1 Airline to come home from London, when I booked British Airways. Your supervisor from Oklahoma has been yelling at me for 30 minutes and your OFFLINE ticketing is not responding to my request to change the ticket to an airline that is not going out of business! SCAM, FALSE ADVERTISING. I would have never booked a ticket with Expedia! They are the worst. I should rethink my credit cards and change all of my chase credit card including my mortgage with a company that actually give what you bought!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Worst card ever for travel!!! We were going to visit the Bahamas next month with our child, but given the situation with the diseases and 70,000 people homeless, we decided to cancel our trip. So, when I called Chase, I was forwarded to Travel, then to Benefits, then back to Travel, and then finally back to the Chase Preferred Department. I have been on the phone trying to get this resolved for over 1.5 weeks. Friday, I was on hold for 52 minutes 10 seconds WITH A SUPERVISOR. She never even came back to the line.

Today, I was on the phone for over 2 HOURS! The only thing they can do is have me pay an additional $150 to change the flight on JetBlue, and UNITED WILL ONLY GIVE ME A CREDIT IF I PROMISE TO USE IT TO TRAVEL TO THE BAHAMAS! Are you kidding! Chase tells me all the time that I am a "valued customer;" however, if that is the case, I would hate to see how non-valued customers are treated. I understand if I had just changed my mind on this trip. However, I am just looking out for the safety and health of my child and family. I will NEVER use my points or contact Chase Travel ever again. What a disappointment!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

If you are looking for a credit card which can protect your travel, don't choose the Chase products. They are just jokes! I have different cards from both Chase and Citi and I did several claims so far on each of them. Chase is just hypocrite which promise you the best but give you the worst! I have a damaged luggage case which I file a claim with Chase. They took like more than half year to proceed. I have uploaded all the documents in the first time and they just pretend stupid keep saying some of the document is missing from the email response.

Eventually I take the time to call them and check with those documents one by one. They realized they cannot lie again then told me some of my document is blurry. What a good excuse! All the documents I sent are by email not fax and they are more clear than enough. When they see they cannot fool me any more, they sent me a email "Congratulation! You got a reimbursement of $10". What a great insult! Thank you Chase, you let me see your true color.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Chase Fraud Department will not admit that any "in person transactions" on their chipped cards are fraud. It's happened to me twice in the past year--once on my Microsoft account when gaming charges showed up on my credit card and last week when a SS Fragrance charge was made. The charges were not huge, but that's not the point. Articles about this type of fraud abound on the internet, but Chase will not acknowledge that this is possible. Find another card with better customer service. Trust me, the points rewards are not worth not having a bank that stands behind its customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Spent 45 minutes on the phone and put on hold one person after another to ask why when I purchased my travel it said 148K points, until I completed the sale and it used up 205K points... Horrible customer service. In the end, no one even picked up after holding all those minutes. Then she hung up on me and I got a voice message saying, "We are sorry we hung up on you..." Closing this card and sticking with AMEX.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Please avoid getting this card if you want to live in peace & save some of your money. Poor customer service: Their idea is to keep transferring calls without anyone being accountable. Travel points: Absolute **. I booked my flight using those points using ultimate rewards. Ticket got cancelled before the day of my flight - no communication - till date even after 1.5 months - unable to talk to them. Bonus: Everyone on phone will listen to queries but no one & absolutely no one can help you - except they can transfer calls & probably note it down & drain it in Trash. Thank You Chase! Thank you so much.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Absolute horrible. Booking through these guys is a nightmare. Unacceptable, long wait times and they are clueless on fare conditions and whatnot. I've spoken to multiple people and below are my experiences:

- Change fee of 100 dollars but turns out it's 300.
- They said they will investigate the recording and respond within 3 days. It's been 5 now with no response.
- I once spent 1 hour and 25 minutes for a lady to tell me that what I am seeing online are business class tickets (for 2k lol) and they don't have availability on those flights for economy when they are all over the internet.
- Supervisors will hang up the line and not call back.

- Consultants are very slow and lack any travel knowledge or customer experience.

Absolutely shambolic! Useless use of your points.

Original review: April 25, 2019

On Dec 22 book 4 ticket in business class, everything is a nightmare, we changed from business class to economy. When I call to see what is happening, it is a call center that not speak English well. They lie to you that they happen to you with a supervisor, they tell you that you should wait 48 to 72 hours to hear the telephone recordings. When the 72 hours pass, the call does not return, you have to call and the person who answers does not know what you are talking about because nothing is documented, the ID # of the employee does not exist, it is not real and they lied to you.

You spend a week online calling on 4 occasions and each call more than 4 hours in line with them, then you receive an email that everything is confirmed as you bought it. Very well until 5 days before your flight, which is a birthday present for your wife, it is with verifying that everything is correct and you find that your flight was eliminated without notifying you.

You go back to call Chase Travel and they tell you the same story, wait 2 hours to listen to the recordings and then go to the travel agent's department to correct the error, but the problem is that they eliminated you and the flight is completely full. It's $9,000.00 in flight ticket and you have paid hotel reservations. No one is responsible, I feel like a disabled handicap, because everything is through the phone. It is the gift for my wife. Booked since December 22. Leaving May 1 to 6 San Juan PR to Bariloche Argentina. I need help, these mega companies abuse one and there are no mechanisms for one to defend themselves.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I opened a Chase Freedom card in 2008 and still use it. I’ve enjoyed its benefits – no annual fee, accumulated points on all expenditures, etc. I travel frequently so in 2018 I decided to open a Chase Sapphire card. I was awarded 50,000 points for opening. There is an annual fee, but I felt the card would pay for itself. I booked a trip in October ’18 for my son and I to go on a trip for Spring Break 2019 for four days at a 4-star hotel in Hilton Head, SC. I got a cheaper than ordinary rate for going through Chase and booking early - $289 per night (normally $339 per night). I had back-to-back trips, and was unable to make it the first night at the hotel.

I checked rules and restrictions on my Chase itinerary and unfortunately said “no-shows are subject to first night rate plus taxes” so I knew I was out the first night cost, but it mentioned nothing of canceling our room (my mistake- I should have called). My son and I drove down a day late. On the way there, I was contacted by Omni hotel to inform me I was charged first night, and my room had been booked with another guest. I was an hour away and panicked so I asked what was available. I was told they had one room available so I asked they book it for three nights… obviously at the higher rate of $339 per night ($50 more per night than my Chase booking). I asked how to get my refund for the original booking and I was told I would have to do that through Chase.

I contact Chase immediately, and the travel agent put me on hold, called the hotel, and then returned and told me I would have to pay 2 nights, plus taxes and fees. I said “no – the policy is one night. I refuse to pay double for one of my nights.” She put me on hold and insisted the hotel manager would not budge and would not refund 3 or the 4 nights (only two of the four). I was only getting half my money back. I was furious, said this was unacceptable and asked if I take it up with Chase or with Omni. She said, “The hotel decides what to bill you. We cannot change that.” I arrived at the hotel half hour later, checked-in and asked to speak to the manager. He said he had spoken directly to the Chase travel agent an hour ago and only charged one night.

He said it’s Omni’s policy and they cannot charge more than a single night for a no-show. He also said this happens frequently with bookings that aren’t direct (Travelocity, Expedia, Chase, etc). The booking agency tries to charge additionally (pocket the cost at the expense of the consumer) and blame the hotel. I was shocked. I called Chase back with the hotel manager with me on speaker. I got a different Chase agent, and suddenly I was getting refunded the cost for 3 of my four nights back, instead of two….just like I had originally requested. Just… like… that. I was stunned. Apparently, the first Chase agent thought I wouldn’t push the issue any further and decided to take advantage of me.

The second agent asked if I would like to file a complaint with her manager, and I told her I had arrived at my hotel with my 10-year-old and that I had spent way too much time on this already, and that I would complain after my vacation. I want to share the feedback now with other credit card shoppers. I was refunded mostly in points a small amount in cash. I will use my remaining points, and then close my Chase cards out. I’m a loyal customer, and I truly feel I was scammed by Chase, and had I not pursued the matter further, I would have been cheated out of over $300. I’m disappointed in Chase. I will find another card that rewards travel that doesn’t cheat their loyal customers.

Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Company Information