3.7/5 (140 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One Venture

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

Pros

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

Cons

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Bottom Line

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Venture Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have enjoyed the Capital One Venture card however, the travel benefit is not worth it. I booked a trip for the first time and due to Covid had to cancel. I received an email from Air Canada that I could be reimbursed for the trip. I spoke with a representative initially and was told they confirmed with Air Canada and it would take 2 billing cycles and be credited to my account. After 2 billing cycles I was ready to reach out to them when I received a call that they had received a full refund from Air Canada and I would need to call and confirm my mailing address (which they have on FILE and used to confirm my identity).

I called and spent over 3 hours on hold before reaching someone. I confirmed my address and was told I needed to speak to someone else and was transferred. After waiting an additional hour, I had to hang up. I have called an additional 2 times and have yet to resolve this and get my refund back. Currently I am close to 1 1/2 hours on hold. I hope they are enjoying my money! I have turned in my remaining miles for credit on my credit card and will most likely cancel my card. I have other cards with better customer service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I used my Capital One travel points to book a flight. Capital One informed me of changes to My Itinerary. I had to call them to see what the changes were and they don’t answer the phone. You sit on hold forever. The first time I waited on hold for over 5 hours. Hung up, called the next day and waited over 3 hours and finally spoke to someone. A couple days ago I go a notice again to call them because My Itinerary changed, again. I've been on hold now for almost 4 hours. This has to be the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 60 years of life. They have one phone number and NO email to send a message. No place to leave a message so THEY can call me when THEY have time. This is just terrible and not worth the trouble for airline flights.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I've used the Capital One Venture card for many years. Throughout that time I've used travel points to cover past purchases and book a handful of trips, all without major issue. When COVID first hit their customer service was overwhelmed and unable to help. Because my trip was only a few days away, I spent 15 hours on hold over 2 days trying to get my trip canceled. I ultimately did get it canceled (but received no email or confirmation to confirm) and chalked it up to the company doing its best in a bad situation. Fast forward to 2021 and their customer service is still horrible. While trying to rebook using my credited points, I've been transferred to the wrong person multiple times and forced to sit on hold for over an hour each of these times. At this point I am convinced that Capital One does not care about their customers or their personal experiences.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I won't bore you with all of the details however however after 6 hours 23 minutes and 3 phone calls to Capital one travel rewards and 3 calls to American Airlines, my issue was finally resolved. It was CLEARLY Capital One error. It was only resolved because I pushed and told them what I knew could happen. The agent I spoke to JB originally said she was unable to help me further however when I demand it that she contact her help desk and American Airlines all of a sudden my trip began to fall into place. She clearly was not willing to go the extra mile and go to 2nd level support.. I guess it was just too inconvenient for her to do what she is PAID to do in providing EXCELLENT customer service. If management reads this and wants to contact me, I have very detailed notes and you can listen to the "recorded" call.

Original review: May 18, 2021

I had my credit card with Capital One for 15 years, rode the wave up to the Venture card when they came up with it. Although it's not my main spending card anymore, kept in my wallet due to convenience and still use it occasionally; always pay in full; never late once in 15 years. They charged me a $95 membership fee last week, so I called to ask for options to get that taken off. They said no. Although the fee is for the next year, they wouldn't even switch my account to one of their 'free' cards.

Insane they want to charge the full year's membership although I told them I don't need the 2x rewards for $95. Just not worth it for me. They only gave me one option: close the account in 40 days (after they charge the fee) and I can get my $95 back. Great, I will just do that. People have struggled a lot financially during the pandemic, and CapitalOne is squeezing people for membership fees. They should learn how memberships work from Costco, Amazon and the like. Nicely done COF!!!

Original review: April 14, 2021

I had a $500 airline credit from a flight cancelled due to COVID. The flight was booked through Capital one travel center and redeemed with capital one points. I tried to redeem for a different flight and was told the new flight was $940 and that out of Pocket expense was going to be $440. I thought this was outrageous and found the identical flight on Kayak for $350. I purchased the flight out of pocket.

A few days later I checked the capital one website and found the same flight for on their website for the same $351. When I asked why the flight was not offered the first time i was told the capital one agents are not always able to see the cheapest flight. This is either a scam or total incompetency on their part. Either way is unacceptable. The website sucks and does not show travel credits or history and it takes hours to get any help as they are always experiencing an unusually large volume of calls. Do yourself a favor and put something else in your wallet.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Planned a family Ski vacation for 12/12/20-12/19/20 3 other families. All families Had to purchase lift tickets through EPIC.Snow,Com/Vail Resorts in October. My family purchased 4 lift ticket at a total cost of $2,000.00. The Ski trip had to be canceled due to multiple Covid-19 issues. Informed Epic of cancelation. We never heard back from them so disputed lift ticket charge through Capital One Venture. Capitol One refunded amount, but EPIC charged back the card for the $2,000.00. The other families received credits from their credit cards with no charge back (AMX and Well Fargo).

When I explained my frustration to a Capital One customer service representative in why I was charged back and the other folks weren't, the representative explained their cards was tied directly to a bank (AMX, Chase, WellFargo) etc.. and have different "rules" in dealing with merchants. Basically, Capital One Venture offers NO CONSUMER PROTECTION! If you are considering applying for this card, please be aware! We are canceling and going to CHASE!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I've had a Capital One credit card for a number of years, and have always loved that I could depend on what the statement closing date would be. It let me time my purchases, when I needed to, so that I could pay the entire balance in full each month. This time they did NOT notify customers of their decision to have the closing date now vary each month - not specifically. Instead, it was buried in my monthly statement and I did not notice it - and others did not notice it either. They're touting that my due date won't change - which makes no difference to me. Of course, this first month of their new policy EXTENDED the closing date - right before Christmas and with COVID economic problems - to report, and want payment of, a higher balance than what we're used to.

I've been reading reports of Capital One closing accounts that had been in good standing for years, discontinuing lines of credit, etc without notice - and am wondering if this change is an attempt to force us to pay their high rate of interest? When we've managed our credit properly all along? I'll be moving my current balance elsewhere (whatever's left by the due date) and cut WAY back on using this account. No doubt at some point they'll close my account since they aren't making money on me...

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

CapOne Venture has a fee, but has zero foreign exchange fees, as well as 2% cash back. For some, these two benefits outweigh the cost.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Once the coronavirus hit, it was hard keeping up with the $50/month payments. We are also one of the 2017 Northern California wildfire victims so, after losing literally Everything, it's been rough. Our score was at 800 only to be destroyed by Capital One and their fees! They didn't try to help. We have since canceled our cards and when we do get our settlement you can bet your bottom dollar we will never get another Capital One card.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

The Venture One card has pretty good rewards. The "miles" you earn may be used as statement credits for certain travel-related expenses, which allows for a wide breadth of expenses to apply points to (food and rideshare, for example). They also have an amazing, easy to use application and wonderful customer service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Refuses to overturn fraudulent transactions. I purchased a map (digital) from a website that is supposed to make it available after purchase. It was not available, and as the company had no phone number, I found their support email after searching for it. I emailed them, which was bounced back. No way to contact vendor, no content. I disputed the transaction, which about 45 days later was overturned to the scam website's favor after the vendor contacted them. What a joke of a company, I never had issues with disputes when using Chase or Citi cards.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I've had the Capital One Venture Rewards card for about four years now. Recently, I went to make a purchase in the town I live in. For some reason, Capital One flagged the purchase as fraud. However, I called their fraud department right away from the department store. The customer service rep confirmed my identity by asking for the last four digits of my SS# and other personal information. She also sent a code to my cell phone to confirm, which I read back to her. She then said they were having some type of problem, and that although she had confirmed my identity and that the purchase wasn't fraud, she couldn't get her system to remove the fraud code, and so my account was frozen. She then told me that I would need to send in a photo of my ID for the fraud department to review, and then they would take the hold off my card within 7 to 10 days.

So basically, I have a card with an annual fee that I'm paying to use, that has blocked usage for 10 days. I literally use the card every day, always pay the bill on time, and have a credit score of 820. Their customer service was horrible, and there was 0 empathy. I will not be renewing this card because of the customer service, which has been poor on other occasions also.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have a Venture card from Capital One which I have had for quite some time. I have an 830 credit score and have never in my life been late with a payment on any credit card. They decided to cut my limit in half because I haven't used the card enough according to them. I called to complain and they basically told me tough. I have worked very hard to obtain an 830 credit score and this is how I am rewarded? If I charged up the card and paid the ridiculously high interest rates that they charge which is 16.9% I would not have the exceptional score that I have. I have that score because I pay on time every-time and I keep the utilization rate extremely low. They obviously don't like to work with people like me and rather have people that get accessed late payments and become stuck under their thumb for life.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Very disappointed in customer service and customer support. I tried to dispute a charge for a flight during COVID due to not being able to contact the merchant in any form to cancel, reschedule or try and get a refund. Absolutely No Support. The customer service representative didn't fully understand that communication with the merchant was completely null and therefore, resolution couldn't be obtained. I will cancel my card immediately.

Original review: June 9, 2020

They have the worst customer service. I have been on hold for almost one hour. I am writing this while I wait on the phone. The recording comes on about every 5 minutes telling me a representative will be with me soon but I'm still waiting. Horrible service! If you are reading this get your credit card somewhere else. Trying to save you time. Mine is being wasted with these people. By the way I am calling about fraudulent charges on my card and it seems to happen every other month.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Too bad there is not a zero-stars rating. Capital One has really dropped the ball with Coronavirus. They seem completely incapable of management during a crisis. I had slowly been moving checking, savings, and credit card accounts to Capital One, mostly because of the marketing incentives (miles). But then, I had a horrendous experience with their travel department (causing me to lose over 50,000 miles and they did nothing). That proved to me that Capital One incentives really have no value when it comes time to honor or redeem. Now I read that they cannot even handle small business loans. Really atrocious company. Don't be lured in by the marketing schemes -- they are ultimately worthless.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was travelling in Vietnam and wanted to access my Capital One Venture card to make sure I was not incurring any unauthorized charges. They wanted to text a verification to my US phone number which did not work in Vietnam. I contacted customer support via Skype and explained my situation. I asked them if they would text me on a Vietnamese phone number because I had purchased a SIM card for use in Vietnam. Answer: No. I asked them if they would email the verification code to me like American Express does. Answer: No. They then suspended my credit card so I could not use it at all. They advertise this card as the best for international travel. I fail to see how that is the case when they will not use available means to verify the account holder and then suspend the card when you call customer support for help.

Original review: March 21, 2020

This is a very scary time for everyone with the pandemic of the coronavirus. We are told to stay at home and only go out for essentials. Majority of vendors are closed. Everyone in my household is out of work. I planned a trip to Japan six months ago and had everything booked. I was charged and it is already paid for. Even through this trying time, the hotel and airline are refusing to refund us our money. We tried to dispute with our credit card company and was denied. We even tried to get a credit for the future and was denied.

It is very disappointing that Hotels.com, Globehunters.us, and Capital one is giving us this type of service. You should be a little more understanding and lenient based on what is going on in this world. I would never book through them again let alone use my capital one credit card. I understand that this is not capital one's fault but they should have their consumers back like other credit card companies such as American Express. I regret not using that instead. Because of this experience, I will no longer be using my card and they lost all future business I give them.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Very poor customer care service, staff doesn’t have enough knowledge to answer questions s/p when you want to cancel your flight booking. We have Venture card & when I called to cancel a flight booking, they transferred me to 3 different persons & put me on hold for 3 hours and finally when they answered they said it’s not their department so you have to call back tomorrow as they are closed now.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Set up an adventure account with Capital One for balance transfers. They quoted me a figure for the balance transfer. I complied with the transfer and made my first payment. Then they charged me $390 in interest on a 0% interest transfer that I was told. I called and they refused to help, fix, or help find a solution to correct the increased interest problem. Very uncooperative and disrespectful to the consumer that is hardworking. Unwilling to find resolution and told me to call back and speak with another supervisor at another time. Unwilling to transfer me. "So what. You have to wait on line for another 30 minutes so well," supervisor declined to help with a resolution. His name was John #** in Virginia. I find this transaction fraudulent and misleading for consumers.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I have Capital One Venture credit card and have been charged fraud and reported it to capital one and started an investigation. They found out it was a fraudulent charge and send me another card. On my 2nd bill cycle kept getting charged from the same fraudulent account even on the new card they send me. I tried to resolve the problem with the customer service but no help. On the 3rd bill cycle, I decided not to use the card and guess what - the same fraudulent charge happen again. I decided to cancel the card because they can't resolve their problem and bad customer service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Extremely disappointed with my FIRST customer service experience with Capital One. I applied for the Venture card literally last night because I saw a great deal on a flight & wanted to complete my booking (also the incentive!). Unfortunately for me, one- they cannot issue me the card number regardless of any security verification I can provide & Two- they cannot expedite my card. Great, right?! More than likely that price won’t be available by the time the card arrives. Had I known, I wouldn’t had ran my credit and applied; as that was the WHOLE purpose of getting the card.

In addition to that, I received an email stating my card would be mailed out within 7-10 business days & “In the meantime, let’s set up your online account if you haven’t already.” For some reason I wasn’t able to add my cell number & was referred to call customer service. As I was explaining this to the rep. she said, "You cannot sign up for the online account until I receive your card in 7-10 business days." I told her it says “IN THE MEANTIME, LETS SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT” not “set up your online account once you’ve received your card in 7-10 business days.”

The rep. repeatedly told me she understands it says that on the email, but she’s telling me now that it cannot be done until I receive the card. IT LITERALLY SAYS IT ON THE EMAIL/IN WRITING THAT I CAN SET IT UP. & again she said very rudely says “Well, I’m telling you now that you can’t.” Okay capital one, so then your email needs major adjustments because that’s FALSE advertisement. Capital One- PLEASE DO BETTER. Provide better service & other resources to your customers. If this is my first experience I can only imagine what’s yet in store.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Re: Capital One - Venture One Card: Fraudulent transactions occurred Friday evening 1/10/2020. None of which were flagged by Capital One, even though 3 of the 4 exceeded $6,000 each, the 4th was $3,240. I notified Capital One within 1 hour of them occurring. The good: Replacement card issued and received Monday late in the day 1/13. The bad: Capital One had approved 4 fraudulent transactions which, when added to my current balance, exceeded my credit limit by $10,000. No one at Capital One could explain how that could happen. It is my belief that the 1st of the 4 transactions which would have exceeded the limit should have been declined as should have all subsequent fraudulent attempts.

Bottom line, even having received a replacement card, there was no available credit to use because of Capital One's approval of those transactions in excess of the limit. 4 calls to them yielded 4 different estimates of when the card would be usable again, all different, but the last fraud rep said the investigation could take 90 days. As of 1/15/2020 the card has been restored to usable with available credit. Main complaint is the inconsistent explanations from both Customer Service and the Fraud Department. They should have been more knowledgeable. Rating is satisfactory in spite of poor customer service rep explanations, the outcome seems satisfactory in terms of timing.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I was at dinner on New Year's Eve. Went to pay for dinner and my card was declined. Embarrassing...So I called to see what the issue was. The first 'Fraud Department' person I spoke with asked if I went online to report my declined charge as fraud. What?? I asked to speak with a supervisor and she hung up on me.

Called back. Started over and had a similar experience. No explanation as to why my card was declined. No supervisor's available. Her advice, 'Call Back Tomorrow'. Really? Mind you, I owe zip on my card and have paid the amount due in February in advance (As is customary).

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have Capital One Venture for past 5 years. I pay my bill on time. I keep my points and everything I have not even used. Once I have 47400 sky mile point I wanna redeem it. They tell me I only have $474 worth of sky miles. If I use that as in cash they drop it down at $230. This is ridiculous. This Company is a scam. I can't believe I wasted my time with this company. I call them to see if I can use the 47400 points to donated for earthquake in Albania and they told me they can't use that. I ask them if I can use those points in cash money towards their cards I can use the card for donating the money to earthquake the people a died in Albania and they told me I only have 47000 miles. If I can exchange that to cash it would be $230. That's **.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I signed up for the Venture card back in 2018. A few months later, I was hacked. That's when I learned their fraud department is an absolute sham. They kept calling me and calling me, so I initially thought the number I kept seeing on my phone was spam. Then I called them myself... And found those phone calls really were from Capital One. I fought with them for several months, but they ultimately rejected my bank statement. It wasn't until my fiance and his father all got on the phone with me one time that the lady on the phone listened.

Less than a month later, I got hacked and blocked from my accounts again - by the same hacker! And the bank sided with the hacker (and did so for more than a year!) I gave up for a while, got married, and moved into my husband's apartment. Then I tried again. No way. They wanted a utility bill under my name and my IDs updated to show my new name. The second request seemed reasonable. But our utility companies would not change their statements to be under my name.

I again gave up for a while, and only recently tried again since my husband and I now have a house and I am responsible for the electric bill. Now Capital One will only accept utility bills from the last apartment, and they want my maiden name on the documents! It even took asking to talk to a supervisor today, who was a total rip-off of Charles Miner from The Office. No reasoning with him either. At least he finally closed the wretched accounts. And now I totally refuse to do business with Capital One ever again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

We have been customers of the Capital One business venture 1 card for 10 years. We have never been late and we pay the entire balance off every month. Received a letter today saying they were canceling our credit card due to the kind of transactions are high cost transactions to them. It's a company credit card. We use it for travel, phone, cable, utilities. Excellent credit. Never been late. Paid off in full. Here is a copy of our letter.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I am canceling this credit card. I spend more than 2K on Capital One Venture Card, however, I am told I do not qualify for the metal card. They call it an upgrade, but it's false. New customers get the metal card, but the existing and long term customers do not. They will be losing business with me. Good riddance.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

They rejected a dispute that I sent in recently around a merchant that had unfair, unethical billing practices. They sided with the merchant for overcharging me and refusing to cancel and redo the transaction. I will not be renewing my Capital One Venture card and want to share that my experience with Capital One customer service was bad. While it is not the customer service rep's fault that my dispute could not get approved, Capital One's policy is completely unreasonable in ignoring unethical practices of merchants overcharging customers.

Capital One Venture Company Information