1.23/5
Based on 167 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

171 Sally Beauty Supply Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Sallybeauty.com online order system kept telling me "there is a problem with the above information" before it would finalize my order. BUT, they CHARGED MY ACCOUNT FOR EVERY SUBMISSION ATTEMPT without telling me and without specifying WHAT info was incorrect, so I kept having to guess and keep submitting. I know my billing address, but it's their system that is particular about how to enter a suite number. Apparently you have to spell out "suite" in the field even though the field is labeled "apt or suite number", so how would I know that I need to be redundant?

In addition, they will blame the bank and you for THEIR system. After challenging the customer service person she stated that they have to go through a review process to verify the information since there were so many attempts to charge my card, that will take 3-5 business days. Again, it's their system that charges me even though the system is telling me my order was "unsuccessful". ($180 in overcharges.) Not all my items can be found in their store, so that option was out. Just spare yourself the hassle of being charged multiple times, and shop somewhere else. I will, going forward.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Sally Beauty Supply's Website charged my card 7 times and they will not void the transactions. The hold for a $45.76 transaction is in the $300 range and they nonchalantly (at Christmas mind you) stated the huge dollar amount will eventually fall off in 3 to 5 business days!!! And I never even got the product shipped!!!

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I went to Bozeman Montana to get pictures made with my stepson so I decided to get extensions in my hair. I went to Sally and spent $400 extensions. Went straight to the salon so the lady could put them in and she told me they were the wrong kind so I went straight back literally 10 minutes max and girl told me I could not exchange them so I had to spend $501 on different kind and then I still had to spend $400 to have them put in so I'm still stuck $400 worth of extensions brand new in the pack. She said they do not do exchanges or refunds even with receipts and then yesterday I went to Sally's in Minot North Dakota and the lady there told me that that was ridiculous and that I should contact corporate. I no longer have the receipt but I'm sure I could get it off my credit card. I would be happy with in-store credit.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

A cave of liars, pretenders and rude customer service, they all state they are professional hairdressers which is a lie, I was advised to purchase a new hair color product plus conditioner, shampoo and a cream. The representative insisted that I must buy that product. The result will be fantastic. She assured me she was a hair color professional, she was forceful and loud. Kind of intimidating and very tall. She tried to sell me more products, very pushy... Now my hair is a disgrace. Is darker kind of red. I should know better. She representative was **. Perhaps she is aware of ** people hair pigmentation but surely she is not expert in ** people's hair pigmentation. I give her the benefit of the doubt.

Also she said, "I used this product and works so well in my hair." I looked at there and she almost did not have any hair!!! And the shampoo and conditioner were toners for blond hair. I did not wanted to be mean and tell, "How could you know about ** hair pigmentation," so as I said I give the benefit of the doubt. Now it proves me I was a fool, kindness should not be practice with sales representatives special those in Sally. They lie, lie, lie and they are rude. I will book at a nice hairdresser rather pay than be lied by a deceiving woman who called herself a hair color specialist... yes in her dreams.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I went on Sally Beauty and made an online order. It had the guarantee 2 day shipping since my order was over $25.00. Well, I ordered it 08/11/18. I called the customer service department on 08/16/18, because I had not received my order. They told me the warehouse was having issues, so it would be late. The order was part of my daughter's birthday present, which was on 08/17/18. They made up a ton of excuses and offered to refund me 10% of my order due to inconvenience. I finally got my order on 08/20/18. The order had 6 items missing. I am now going to have to contact their customer service center today. I have never had problems when shopping in store. I will NEVER order ANYTHING from them online AGAIN. The 2 day free shipping is a LIE and they DO NOT stand behind their word!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sally Beauty Supply?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

A cashier by the name of Bernadine at the Palm Desert, CA location is an extremely RUDE passive-aggressive psychopathic Narcissist! She has absolutely no customer service skills. As soon as I walked in the door, she didn’t even say, "Hi welcome to Sally’s," nothing. She had a look on her face of pure attitude. I went in to exchange some hair lightener and she made me feel like a bad little child for wanting to make an exchange even though I explained to her that I called earlier and was told that it was perfectly okay to come in and make an exchange. She was talking down to me like I was a stupid little child that I didn’t know what I was doing and I was wasting her precious time. She is psychologically abusive and will talk down to you if you are too nice because she thinks you will not stand up for yourself and not speak up.

She had such an angry condescending tone and was in such a rush, angrily and aggressively pointing out other lighteners that I could try because she obviously didn’t want to help me and give me service. I spoke up and raised my voice at her and said ‘You are being passive-aggressive and I don’t appreciate the way you’re talking to me!’ She had a dumbfounded look on her face probably because she doesn’t even know what the definition of passive-aggressive is, and because Narcissists are so delusional and out of touch with reality, they will never admit or take responsibility for their abusive manipulative behavior. So she asked me in a condescending abusive tone, ‘Do you want me to get someone else to help you?’ As if I am the problem. Patrick then started helping me, but she was talking really loud in an angry passive-aggressive tone to try to further annoy me.

Patrick was great and respectfully helping me choose a different lightener. But there is no excuse for the way Bernadine behaved toward me. She does not care one bit to give good respectful customer service and she needs to be fired immediately. I happened to of left the items I was returning at the front counter and when I was checking out, I kept the same developer, but after I got home, I noticed that the developer was about a quarter empty. I only used a teaspoon to test a strand of hair before I exchanged it. So I think while nobody was watching her, Bernadine either poured some out or replaced it with the same exact developer that was a return, but with less developer. She probably spit in it and pissed in it too for all I know. I wouldn’t be surprised if she did. This is how evil and vindictive these angry passive-aggressive Narcissists are.

The next day I called and complained to Melanie the manager and told her what had happened and all she said was she ‘will talk to Bernadine about it.’ Didn’t apologize, didn’t offer me a coupon or a free item, nothing. She didn’t seem to care either. The first lightener that was recommended to me was from the Cathedral City store which was the L'Oréal Beach Babylights which did not work because it is for dark blond hair. I have very dark brown thick hair, almost black. Bernadine also said that this lightener would work for me even though I told her it didn’t work on my hair and that’s why I am exchanging it. Before I went in the store, I called and asked if this lightener was the right one for me, and that person on the phone said no, it is for dark blonde hair. Patrick also agreed that this lightener is not for my dark brown hair; it’s for dark blondes.

So this proves that some of the store employees don’t know much about beauty products and don’t know what they are talking about. Here is a review of this product that was also recommended to him with dark/black hair: https://youtu.be/mx5FcUrwTjU. I don’t why some Sally’s employees are recommending this for dark brown to black haired people. I then exchanged the L'Oréal Beach Babylights for the L'Oréal Quick Blue lightener which I tested a strand and left the lightener on for a hour and it turned my hair light orangish with red tones and left it extremely dry.

I then found that the Redken Flash Lift lightener is one of the best lighteners and used by licensed professionals. So, if you’re looking to lighten your hair, don’t use cheap Sally’s lightener, thats why its cheap, because it doesn’t work good at all. You can buy Redken products on Amazon or eBay without a license. You can even buy Redken toners there too.

As far as the company, Sally’s has been losing revenue for the past three years. I read that they will be downsizing to focus on hair color and this means they will be closing some stores in the future. But probably because Ulta is putting them out of business. What they need is to focus on high quality customer service. These negative reviews should be enough proof how horrible Sally’s customer service has become.

So because of how horribly I was treated by Bernadine, I will never step foot into another Sally’s again. There is absolutely no excuse for her abusive behavior. I also, suspect that she may have a prejudice against certain races. I wouldn’t be surprised especially with all the political issues that are going on here in California. Either way, she needs to grow ** up, stop emotionally manipulating customers, and keep her political views and personal problems at home!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I had visited Sally Beauty Supply online and placed order for multiple hair dyes and other hair care products. When my order finally came I was missing the Manic Panic and on paper said out of stock. Will ship when back in stock. NEVER received it and when I contacted them, they told me, "Sorry it’s been too long" there is NOTHING they can do about it and can’t access UPS information. What a bunch of bull. I still have the packing slip they sent and won’t do anything about it. RIDICULOUS. Needless to say I will not purchase anything from this business online or in any of their stores.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This is just one person as in rep in Bonney Lake Washington shop. I needed help with hair color... Waiting... When the rep was done serving another customer she went to complain to another rep who was working at that time, "This customer had this basket FULL. Took FOREVER to ring her out... I HATE PEOPLE. I JUST HATE PEOPLE!!!" While there were customers there!! WTH. I looked at her and said, "WOW. JUST WOW!!!" I stormed out. Will never go back because of her. Was there Wed. Aug 1, 2018. What would she say behind my back!! And to complain she sold a basket FULL of products. REALLY!!! Don't know her name but long bleach blonde wavy hair.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Bought counterfeit O.P.I. polish at their store on Wayside in Houston TX. I believe this is systemic with Sally. I was charged $10 for a bottle of pure junk. If they're having hard times, this is not the way to do business. I now know what counterfeit O.P.I. looks like because of this experience. No more Sally for me, they cannot be trusted. Look at the picture attached, then google it, it's FAKE.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The Sally's Beauty Supply Store in Wichita located on west and central has poor customer service. There is one older lady that constantly treats people of color with disrespect. My daughter and I go to this location often and each and every time we are watched by the same lady. She always acts as if she's organizing items on the shelves on the same aisle that we're shopping on. If there are other customers shopping that aren't people of color she doesn't treat them with such disrespect. I like shopping at Sally's for the items that I need. But I'm extremely tired of being treated differently from other customer's that shop there. This is embarrassing and needs to stop immediately. I would give the star rating a zero if I could.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I was shopping for nail polish at Sally Beauty Supply in Bradenton Florida #3885. One of the polishes fell, got broken and it was a mess. I said I was very sorry and paid for some items and left. Later when I reach into the store bag to take out my things I grab a small little bag that is very sharp and I get some puncture and cuts on my fingers. I take out a small bag that has the broken bottle of nail polish in it. All the broken pieces. I am so upset off that such an idiot dimwit would do something so rude and disrespectful. And dangerous. I called back to ask her why she did it and she said she doesn't remember putting it in my bag which is B.S. and stupid. She knows it. I will call back to talk to the manager about it. What she did was plain wrong and stupid. They would be correct to fire her. What an unfortunate lack of customer service skills. Have a nice day.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I haven't done anything to my hair in 3 years, so I decided to go to Sally Beauty Supply and purchase some hair color. I bought 3 boxes of blue black. It turned out brown. They REFUSED to return my money because I didn't have the tubes and only had 1 box (even with my receipt) due to the fact my 9-month-old daughter got sick. Any decent mother would do a clean sweep of the home and clean. I will NEVER step foot back in any of their businesses.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Traverse City Mi. The Sally's in Traverse City Michigan Garfield Township around 450 pm is awful. I shop here when I need things. I went in to by a Chi flat iron as mine quit working so I need it now and when I got there two ladies at register with only one customer. I waited for service and nothing. So then I wait for the customer to leave and I asked if they have the digital Chi and was the answer and no, they don't, so I was deciding in the aisle if I wanted to buy it price 99 dollars and I had decided to purchase as I need it now. I was going to order on Amazon but had decided to shop Sally's.

My 6 year old daughter was with me and picked out a brush she was going to buy 8.99. The short haired nasty women came around and was mean and nasty as hell to my daughter and said, "You can't brush your hair with that." I was ** buying the ** brush. I had other items and I put them all back and left. As I left she made a smart ** comment. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. So, I ordered from Amazon for more money. As a customer about to spend 200 dollars you would think she could have been polite and said to my daughter, "Can you please not do that." Lost a customer for life. Want nothing! So you will be out of business. Don't shop Sally!

Original review: April 27, 2018

The Sally's that I go to is about 45 minutes from my house, so when I go I really need to make the trip count. I’m a bleach blonde, and I regularly tone my hair using Shades EQ at home. This particular day I needed to grab a toner, and since my stylist was out of town and I couldn’t get Shades EQ, I figured I’d just go to Sally. I’d only been here once before for purple shampoo, and the lady who helped me was so rude and didn’t know ANYTHING about the products. This time I went in search of Wella hair toner. I walked in the door and the girl at the counter just stared at me, smacking her gum, and didn’t say a word. I smiled and headed to find my toner. While trying to figure out what shade I wanted, a man that works there walked by me, staring, a solid 10 times. I felt like he thought I was a shoplifter or something. Anyways I got to the counter and the stalker man proceeded to say “you need help?” Like yes please I’d like to get my stuff and go!

Anyways he asks me if I have a Sally card, to which I replied that I didn’t think I did, and he rolled his eyes and signed deeply, saying “okay then do you know what you bought?” At this point I was getting a little irritated so I just smiled and nodded. He rang up my stuff, didn’t tell me what my total was, handed me my receipt and didn’t say a word as I left the store. Flash forward a week. I texted my stylist to see if I should use the stuff I bought and she told me absolutely not, so I went to return it.

The women at the counter was the sweetest lady, but she had no clue how to do a return (no problem though, she was so sweet). But as fate would have it, the same guy came to help her and was just as rude as expected. He asked me if I used the products a solid 5 times, said “maybe you should’ve know what you were buying” THEN tried to offer me store credit when I had the receipt and my return was 9 days after I bought the product. I laughed and said that I knew the return policy (literally it’s on the back of the receipt) he finally refunded my card, acting just as annoyed as ever, and being extremely rude to the sweet lady at the register, Coline maybe? Anyways, this place is AWFUL. The employees are rude, snobby, and completely useless. I won't ever take my business to that dump again.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My mom & I went to our local Sally's Store 3610 where we both shop frequently with the most recent coupon, buy 3 polishes get one free and a cosmetic bag. We were informed by the sales associate (very nice and well mannered young lady) that it was a misprint which didn't start until April 1. Being that there was no sign explaining that we asked if she could ask the manager if she would still honor the coupon. The manager hollers across the store at my mom and said, "No I will not honor it. You can come back on April 1" and she also stated that "you cannot get the cosmetic bag unless you buy makeup." I told her that the flyer does not state that makeup is required with the purchase it states spend 14.99 or more and receive a free cosmetic bag. I didn't get the rude manager's name because I walked out the store with an attitude that I will never go back to the Laurinburg, NC store & I will tell my friends not to go there either.

This event took place on Wednesday, March 28, 2018. On March 30, 2018, my mom & I went to a Sally's in Rockingham, NC store 3259 to get the number to the corporate office. We explained to the sales associate (Clarice) that we were not filing a complaint against her store. We explained what happened and she was very understanding and apologize for our issue. I called the corporate office and explained in detail the events that had taken place and how the manager spoke to my mother & myself. The customer service rep said that she would call the store and tell the manager to honor our the coupon. I told her that I was at a different location and she asked for the location that the incident occurred and the location that I was in at the time. She said that she would call store 3259 and have them to honor the coupon in its entirety.

Clarice in the Rockingham store received the call from corporate and honored the coupon. My mom and I were able to get the items that we desired along with the free cosmetic bag without purchasing makeup. I was very satisfied with the customer service we received from Clarice at store 3259, however, the manager at store 3610 needs to be talked to about how she treats people especially valued customers that shop in her store all the time. I really feel like it was more discrimination against my mother and I after she saw that we were ** women.

She literally yelled across the aisle as she walked towards us. WE WILL NEVER VISIT THE STORE 3610 as long as I have breath in my body. I really pray that some action is taken in this matter. It was not our fault that your coupon read from "NOW UNTIL APRIL 30!" If you have a nationwide misprint signage needs to be placed on the door of your locations across the nation. Thank you and I hope to get a response with a resolution.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I went in to this store on Saint Patrick's day and when I walked in I was not greeted by the lady in all black wearing a green tutu. Apparently she was the store greeter and I wasnt acknowledged. I stood in line with my return and receipt in hand. Another lady walked in behind me and she addressed her and asked if she had a return and asked her to place her item on the counter while she finds what she needed. She continue to address every other customer but me. However I am ** so maybe that was an issue for her. This is the North Richland Hills store bldg 470 on Hwy 26.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Bought a Hair Clipper from the Sally store in Burke VA, and noticed it was greasy and looked old/has been used before. I walked back to the store and explained the situation. I was told by the associate that I couldn't return it since I opened it. Asked for a manager, was told she will be in the store on a different day. Before going back, I called the Sally Customer Service and let them know my experience, as I didn't want to be sent back again. The agent contacted the store, while I was on the phone, and told me they were supposed to return it, and that I shouldn’t have any issue returning it. She even gave me the name of the associate I should talk to.

Went to the store and asked for that person, but the lady who sold me the item showed up and started off by saying that it was new when she gave it to me, and accused me of using it. I replied by saying, that she should open and check, as everything is still sealed in plastic, except for the oily clipper, which was not covered. I told her that I will be calling Sally if she was not willing to return the item. She said that I should call Sally back to let them know that they weren’t rude to me, as I “stated” in my original phone call. I never told the agent that they were rude to me; all I told her was that they refused to return the item. I don’t think the agent put words in my mouth. She was very understanding and a decent person.

The associate gave the stuff to another associate to refund me, and took another associate whom she told in Spanish that I was a “bruta persona”, not knowing that I understand Spanish. And the associate that assisted me followed on by saying that I “should get an education”, when I told her that I was not aware that I was charged $5 for membership. I honestly thought it was a free membership, when she asked me to sign up.

First of all, the associates violated the store’s policy by refusing to return the item; second, they insulted and humiliated me in front of other Spanish speaking customers playing like they were the victims in the case. Sally needs to do a better job listening to customer’s complaints, and disciplining these types of employees who are not well trained on their duties as customer service associates, who even refuse to take orders that come from the corporate level. I would like for Sally take an action on these two employees.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

BEWARE OR YOU COULD BE THE NEXT @Sallybeauty VICTIM! I went to @SallyBeauty in Piscataway NJ on Labor Day September 2017 to buy purple conditioner to pamper my virgin never dyed before hair after the summer. As I was paying the girl at the register convinced me that purple conditioner won't do anything to my hair and what I need is a Toner!! She took me to the aisle and grabbed a @wellahair T18 Toner. She swore to me that that's what I need, that it won't do anything to my brunette hair. It'd only ash any brassy streaks. She swore to me ever convincingly that this is what I need. That it won't touch my brown hair.

I took her advice and bought the product. Went home and used it only for my hair to turn a FLAGRANT CARROT ORANGE. It FRIED my hair and lifted all the color. I called the store. The manager who insisted that the @wellahairusa Toner doesn't do anything to brunette hair. @wellahair told me that this product is solely for blondes. Long story short @sallybeauty lied me to me and told me they'll pay to fix my hair then renounced it. This company doesn't take accountability for their actions. The image they portray here on social media is a LIE. BEWARE or you could be the next VICTIM. The customer service rep Sheila told me to get an estimate to get my hair fixed and that they'll give me conditioners. They never did and told me that they closed my case. They lie. They portray a fake image on their social media go to Sally ask a beauty expert. Well please don't do that or you could be the next victim!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I received a coupon for $3.50 to be used from Jan.1 thru Jan.31. The problem is that I received it on Jan. 15, and on Jan. 12 I had purchased enough supplies to last me a couple of months. I went back to the store to get a credit and they said their computers couldn't do it because I also had an exchange on the receipt. Very disappointed that they couldn't honor the coupon, or at least send me the $3.50. Seems that their coupons don't arrive on time for me to use them and there really isn't any benefit to being a member of Sally Beauty.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

So this was my first time purchasing from Sally's online rather than in their stores. Had received an email containing a link to their products that were up to 75% off. So confusing. Items that would initially show the 75% off while on the page viewing but then during checkout they no longer showed the 75% percent off stating that this item is no longer available for this price (to me, this is a false advertisement). Today I receive my package in the mail and lo and behold I am missing 5 products. Called customer service and they said they had none left in their warehouse. Hmmm, a phone call would have been nice seeing as how I'm sure they would be expecting one from me. Some stores just are not worth shopping online at. Will stick to the brick and mortar stores because I do tend to like Sally's products.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I went into Sally Beauty Supply first thing when they opened to two ladies working there at store #670, Little River Trpke - ** and **. I have fashion colored hair which requires frequent maintenance. I was in there looking to do something new (go silver), and the 2 workers helped me here and there for about an hour whenever I sought them out (they kindly offered help for about the first 10 minutes till I let them know I was going to be there for a while. They didn't hover or make me feel like a shoplifter (as some others have claimed), and as I said, they were more than happy to assist.

No matter the bazillion questions I asked, they were more than happy to give advice, pick out products that I was familiar with (ION), and helped me tailor what I needed. They did NOT try to upsell anything or try to force me to buy extras, I appreciated that. Ironically, when I asked them for a website or number I could call to say how great they were - the workers called their headquarters and the headquarters clearly stated (I could hear them over the line) they did not want to give out a phone number because they didn't want bad customer comments or reviews. I managed to google some stuff and came across this site. Hopefully this gets somewhere for those few great workers! So thank you ** and **! Much appreciated. :)

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

In Mentor, Ohio, I purchased a T-Blade from Sally's not being told that it was non-returnable. Upon returning it (unopened, unused package, It was then that I was told it was nonrefundable. The girl Jessica was very unprofessional and rude as a lot of their employees. I then called corporate which was no better. I now see why a lot of my friends do not want to do business with this company. Beware of purchasing anything from this store. They are not honest. I would have accepted the no return policy if I had been told that upon the purchasing of this item. Also corporate is just as unprofessional as their stores. I would have even accepted a credit but it was their rudeness that did it for me.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

One day when checking out, an employee mentioned their rewards card. She said it was $5 to get, but it would have discounts and rewards on it, and I would get it in the mail in a few days. After I signed up and paid for the rewards card, she then tried selling me stuff on top of what I was already purchasing, but I was happy with what I had already and declined. Well, a week goes by and I stop in to mention that I hadn't received my rewards card in the mail yet, and the manager told me they don't have a card... It's just an email service. I paid $5 to get emailed by Sally Beauty, and most of the emails I get aren't even discounts, they're just emails about new products.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Both male and female working at Sally Beauty Supply on Sunday October 22nd 2017 In North Haven CT Store in the afternoon are the most disrespectful no experience having employees. Could not even help me with a simple question on a product they sold me. Both employees sat there talking behind my back at the register like I couldn't hear them and I told them to their face, “I can hear you talking ** about me. Sad that you both don't even know your job & when to still in your line & not knowing anything about products that you sell.” I would never go back or even recommend anybody going to that store as long as those two employees are working there. My first & last time going to that Sally in North Haven CT SUCKS!!! Get New employees with better attitudes and knowledge of the products the store sell!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I lost my receipt. I went to the store and I was told that I can call customer service and they can find my transaction online and return my money. I wasted 2 weeks. They told me that I can only do an exchange or gift card. The lady on customer service can view how I paid, with my bank card, but will not honor that. So, what's the point on calling customer service? The other store in town only does exchanges without receipt and this one gives gift cards to anyone without receipt. They make their own rules. Once I spend the gift card, I will never buy anything here again!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I purchased a replacement clipper blade, it did not cut at all. I tried to exchange it the very next day and they said all sales are final on clipper blades. Of course the girl working didn't care one bit and just said, "Sorry that's policy" and basically turned around and started doing other stuff. I then called in to customer service and after waiting 20 minutes finally talked to someone who also didn't care about the issue either.

I explained that I purchased it the day before and that I just want a replacement as it must be defective. She said, "Well you can contact the manufacturer and try to get a refund that way." What I love is that in big red writing on the receipt it says "Love it or return it guarantee" then in small print "except clipper blades." Why would you sell a product that you don't stand behind? I should be able to return it to Sally and they can return it to the manufacturer. Their customer service has always been terrible, at almost all of the stores I've been to the girls are always very rude or snotty. This one was the last straw, I will not be shopping here anymore and will go elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Rude treatment at Rio Rancho store in NM. My story is the same as all complaints posted against them. They treat you like a criminal for returned junk from China. They do not honor their own policy. It's mostly left to interpretation or what mood current cashier is in. I got a 20% off--big deal, that is not what I wanted. I will never go back and I had been loyal for several years. How are these people still in business?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

To Sally's CEO, Carrie McDermott-- You advertise all over the internet as to your return policy, which is basically "Love it or you can return it." Refund with receipt, no receipt OK if returned in 60 days but you will receive a Sally gift card (store credit basically) which was acceptable to me. Unfortunately my experience was not as easy as that, and "Amanda" the Associate, at your Lindenhurst, NY store felt she'd impose her own policy rather than follow yours. I've tried contacting the store manager first but no one will tell me his/her name; in any event it's best I inform you, as basically the upshot is, that this "Amanda the Associate" in your Lindenhurst, NY (Long Island) store is making a liar out of you, in refusing to honor your store's return policy, the one that you advertise all over the internet across the United States. (False advertising, as you must be aware, is a crime.)

I am alerting the IC3.gov about my encounter today. To add insult to injury, this "Associate" who not only failed to carry out your return policy and wasted over ONE HOUR of my time this Sunday, but just had to give me a parting "jab" as I headed to the door after she actually barged in, mid transaction, and told the pleasant cashier who was assisting me not to return (exchange) my product. While I did not have a store receipt (as I did not anticipate my not liking the products) I tossed it, but I did have a printed out credit card transaction, date, reference #, total amt., store # etc. I also had printed out almost anticipating a problem as I read several negative reviews on "Yelp" as to rude staff who fail to honor the return policy, in many of your stores.

I had your return policy with me, that you can "shop Sally with no worries, as there is a "Love it or Return it" Guarantee" no hassles etc. Stipulations were, WITH a receipt, you get a store refund in 30 days & after that within 60, with or without a receipt you get a store credit, and without a receipt, you get a store credit even if you return it within 30, max 60. No mention of "used products" as very obviously, that would be counter to your "love it or return it" policy. (Obviously, how can you know if you "love it" if you don't use it?) Amanda the angry Associate, didn't seem to grasp this... It is a pretty clear, concise policy, but Amanda the Angry Associate was apparently not capable of understanding it; either that or your policy is completely bogus.

I purchased 2 products, about 12 days ago. One was "Crepe Away", an over priced anti wrinkle cream that I was very dissatisfied with, it was very "watery", not creamy & didn't do a thing for my skin. The other product was worse - ION Hair color. I chose shade 8N, supposedly a medium neutral blonde which is not neutral at all, it left my root area and 3" extending into a charcoal very dark ash color! I was embarrassed to have to go to a party I had to go to that same day with charcoal grey roots and discolored hair. And so, this past Sunday, I went to Sally's on Wellwood Ave, in Lindenhurst, NY to return these inferior products. As I entered, a pleasant enough young woman listened to my problem, I explained in detail as to how I used both products and I even showed her how the ION hair color discolored my hair; the damage/discoloration was very obvious.

The cashier said since I did not have a receipt, she could not refund me, but I could exchange it. I shopped around trying to find $19.00 worth of products I wanted, which was difficult as I noticed you no longer carry the really good, well known brands you used to stock years ago. (i.e. "Matrix", "Goldwell", Loreal's Kerastase, etc.) Most of the brands you carry now are brands I never heard of, and after using ION that ruined my hair which I never heard of I was hesitant to use any more no-name brands. The few brands you currently sell, that I am familiar with, ie, "Wella", "Clairol", some "Loreal" hair colors are all the older products and so I spent over ONE hour searching your store and finally found 3 products that although I was not "thrilled with" felt I could use. I returned to the counter where the young pleasant cashier held my $19.50 products for which she, in compliance with your refund policy, agreed to exchange.

As I spoke with this somewhat pleasant cashier who was about to assist me, this older, heavier woman probably near 30 or so, barged in, threw her weight around, and told the cashier who was assisting me not to return my goods as I did not have a receipt. I explained to her, just as I did the first pleasant cashier my predicament and showed her, that I have a detailed, printed out copy of my credit card transaction, and I also showed her a copy I had with me of your store return policy, saying very clearly that I did not need a receipt within 60 days, and that I could get an exchange. She said "No you can't because you used it" I replied that of course I used it, and that is how I know I do not like it, I showed her my hair discoloration, and reminded her and showed her YOUR "Love it or Return it" Policy, and asked her "How would I know if I "love it' or not, if I did not use it?

She again was adamant, and told the younger more pleasant cashier, who was attempting to assist me, not to help me at all and that I need a receipt. I asked the rude, burly one her name, she said "Amanda." I asked her position, she said "Associate". I wrote it down, this Amanda could see I was clearly agitated, and as I turned around and headed to the door to leave, "Amanda the obnoxious Associate" yelled out with a menacing grin, "You have a good day now!" I assured her I would.

This is the manner in which I was treated Ms. McDermott and Mr. Brickman (if you are still there?). I had in the past, frequented on and off your store for many years, not all the time especially once "Ulta" arrived on the scene, but I did shop there periodically. No more, I will never again frequent your store, not after being treated like that, and LIED to regarding your return policy. Not only did "Amanda the Angry Associate" disrespect me, but she disrespected YOU as well... this is YOUR policy, not mine, and she basically made a Liar out of YOU; her unprofessional behavior reflects on YOU and all of Sally Beauty stores. This angry Associate, "Amanda" has implemented her very OWN return policy for your Lindenhurst store, it appears she thinks she runs Sally, not you!

I've commented on the Sally Beauty Lindenhurst Facebook page, and whoever runs that page has not responded to any of my numerous comments these past few days and so I will keep on posting there until Amanda over there publicly apologizes for her atrocious, egotistical, unprofessional disgusting behavior. I think she was probably trying to show the younger, slimmer more attractive Associate "a thing or two" and just decided to throw her weight around by barging in on our transaction and undermining the efforts of the younger cashier, who was actually following your store return policy in a polite manner - guess she wanted to show us both "who was boss"; her obnoxious behavior didn't impress me at all and I will be sure to tell all of my women friends my awful experience on Sunday at Sally.

This "Amanda the Associate" wasted over an hour of my time on Sunday no less, I am a busy woman, particularly on Sundays as my husband is a pastor. My time is worth $75 an hour. I did not have that hour to waste, nor did I care to be treated like garbage by a likely jealous woman with a huge chip on her shoulder particularly after having purchased an inferior product at Sally that ruined my hair... I thought if anything Amanda the Associate's tone would be far more apologetic rather than hostile and rude. "Amanda the Associate" needs additional training, I'd suggest having the younger more capable cashier who followed your rules re-train her -- or better yet part ways - certainly "Amanda the Angry Associate" is not helping your store's image. I will never set foot in another Sally again because of Amanda the Associate and will share my experience there with all females who care to listen.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

If I could rate 0 stars I would. Immediately walking into the shop I see an older woman at the register that literally ducked behind a tall stand of earrings as she made eye contact with me. She peeked out from behind the stand and I was the first to say hello. She responded hello back but did not welcome me for coming in or ask if I needed any assistance. I immediately walked up to her and asked where the hair removal section was rather than wander around. She walked me over to a start of an aisle and pointed that it on the right. It was at the far end of the aisle and I found it myself. Considering they have all of 4 aisles she could have walked me to the section. There was one other customer in the store at the time. It took me 2 minutes to grab my selection and greater than 15 minutes to be rung out. Another employee was in the store at the front register.

The older lady was ringing out the other customer in the store. The second cashier didn't bother to greet me when she made eye contact and proceeded to pull the register. I overheard the older lady tell her current customer that she couldn't make the coupon apply even though it did match her items and she would just have to use it another time. When it came my turn the older lady cashier tried to tell me that she couldn't get my coupon to apply even though it clearly matched the items too. The second employee wandered around not helping any of the incoming customers or the cashier I was stuck with that clearly had no idea what she was doing. This place and their customer service is a joke.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This comment is in reference to the Store Manager and staff of the Lenoir City, TN location. Most locations of Sally in TN are good, but this one is atrocious. This store manager, on every occasion, has been hostile and rude to us. Today, she lied to my fiance about our Sally Card expiration, which according to Sally is valid until August 31st, but she claimed was expired, in order to deny our discount. She said I was rude, to which I replied she had the worst customer service of any Manager in Lenoir City. We exchanged words, and she ended up telling me she would call the police (which she evidently did not do, but I did do out of concerns over her apparent emotional and mental instability).

I have never had an experience like this anywhere, with anyone, but I have been informed that she has had other complaints. For my part, I consider the matter settled, although I will never do business with this store again and will advise all of my tax clients and friends to refrain from doing business with this store's abusive staff in the future.

Sally Beauty Supply Company Information