Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5

Malwarebytes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Malwarebytes?

Original review: March 21, 2020

Malwarebytes seems to work without slowing down my computer. Very little effort is needed to use this software. I had malware on my computer that was unable to be removed by ClamXAV, and Malwarebytes did remove it.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I have been a loyal Malwarebytes Premium Subscription customer since 2013. Malwarebytes application on Windows PC has no issues. Malwarebytes Premium running on, and purchased from, Google Play is a ripoff. I have my subscription set to auto-renew annually and this last renewal on 2.16.2020 was charged to my account but, Malwarebytes did not mark my account as paid and therefore marked my Android license as Expired. With a license expired you fall under the FREE category and do not receive Premium Services such as auto startup and real time protection. With a free account all activities except auto malware updates are manual. You have to manually open the application in order to be protected from Malware as well as not receiving real time protection and have to perform manual scans.

I placed 2 customer support tickets and 1 CSR emailed me and said to uninstall and reinstall. I did and reported back to Derek at Malwarebytes support but the issue still exists and nobody from Malwarebytes will help so this appears to be a scam. Maybe CEO Marcin has already made his millions because the company is terrible lately.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

After purchasing the software, you may find later that the company will cancel your registration key as they did with me. When you contact them, they will now require you to prove that you bought it. Any tech company that is 20 years behind in "tech" isn't something you want on your system!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I am a long-time user of Malwarebytes, first the free version and then the paid version. It worked fine for quite a while, but the latest version, Malwarebytes 4, is emulating malware itself. As has been mentioned in some other reviews, it quickly freezes my computer to the point of it being inoperable. First everything slows down to a stop and then all of my wallpaper icons disappear. I reset my computer three times before finally tracking down the problem to Malwarebytes.

Once I uninstalled Malwarebytes the problem was gone. But I had to reboot in safe mode to uninstall it since everything was frozen. I reinstalled Malwarebytes again just to be sure and yes, it froze my computer again. The uninstall software that I am using indicates that Malwarebytes is flooding my computer with an avalanche of files. If some people are able to successfully use the latest version of Malwarebytes without any problems, I wish I knew what the difference is between their computers and mine. After trying to research this problem online, I am still stumped. Unless I can find an answer, I will be forced to say goodbye to Malwarebytes for good. The only reason I am giving this review two stars instead of one is because of the good performance of Malwarebytes for so many years until recently.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I was advised by reputable computer expert that this software is the best for malware and so I tried vainly to make contact. Unfortunately could not manage maltreatment: making contact a huge headache. Couldn’t get a chat to happen online, called and couldn’t get a human on phone. Called again and waited, got promise to get return call. Got return call from robot that suggested I go online. That said everything to me. How are you the best yet offer no assistance in basic sales exchange? How is this the new normal? It’s not that expensive to have phone coverage. It’s not a great stretch to offer traditional customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

This software was removed from my PC by the repair department of Best Buy last Summer. I have emailed their billing department in November and December to not renew my subscription in January. In January they billed me again. It is like throwing away a boomerang. Deal with them once, pay forever!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Unfortunately I was unaware that the shady company Malwarebytes uses an auto-renewal "feature" for its products. Well, that feature happened last night and made a charge to my credit card, and now I can't even afford to get my prescription for pain medicine that I need every day until my hand surgery next month. Thanks Malwarebytes!!!! I have never had a cybercriminal use my card, only the cybercriminals known as Malwarebytes. It is very sad how they lure you into a false sense of security, only to rob you blind in the end. 0 stars. Avoid this garbage. It is a horrible product from a terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Once installed, Malwarebytes is nearly impossible to uninstall. I completely DISTRUST any company or product that takes my choice away. It took several tries to remove this garbage program from my PC. So unless you want the software forever, along with its constant and annoying ads for upgrading, avoid it like the plague.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Definition of malware: "noun. Software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system." I installed Malwarebytes on the recommendation of Apple Support. I've already let them know my opinion of their recommendation. First off, Malwarebytes does not support scanning external hard drives on Macs. Their convoluted excuse is that Time Machine should not be scanned. But I don't use my external HD for time machine. Another part of their excuse was that it was virtually impossible for an antivirus or malware to get installed on an external HD. Needless to say, I found numerous articles that contradict this claim. All I wanted was for my external HD to be scanned. So seeing as this was not possible, I proceeded to uninstall malwarebytes from my Macbook Pro. I used the malwarebytes uninstall feature.

After that I checked the HD for any malwarebytes files because I have no faith in most tech vendors. As I expected there was a file left in the StagedExtensions folder that could not be removed because it was required by Mac OS. I found it remarkable that my Mac OS could suddenly not function in a stable manner without a file that was only installed on it yesterday after having functioned just fine for over a year without it. I called Apple Support and their only solution offered was to do a restore OR completely reinstall my Mac OS. So, my sum experience with Malwarebytes is that it claimed it could not do basic scanning functionality of an external HD for what I view as highly dubious reasons and when I decided to remove it because of this lack of functionality, it could not be completely removed. If I could give a lower rating I would but I cannot.

Resolution response: Jan. 21, 2020

I recently left a 1-star review describing a renewal feature that in my opinion leads you to renew twice, and how I was refused a refund. A second representative with a completely different tone responded later, stating that I would be refunded. He then asked if I was satisfied with the resolution, and if he could close the ticket. Very different from the first rep. In any case, I was in fact refunded. Time is money. Mood affects performance. While my situation was resolved, it wasn't without significant costs in these areas.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I accidentally renewed my subscription twice, for which I was charged $40 twice. The response to my ticket asking for a refund for one of these was that I now have two years, no refund, and they closed the ticket without a response from me. I replied saying that I prefer to purchase renewals one year at a time, no response. I opened a new ticket, no response. How was I even able to renew twice??? I don't do that with other renewals. These guys have really shady financial practices.

Malwarebytes Company Information