3.4/5 (2346 ratings)

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

Pros

• 5G available in some areas
  • Discounts on multiple lines
  • Mix & match unlimited plans
  • Parental control app

Cons

• Prices are higher for fewer lines
  • 5G not available in all areas

Bottom Line

Verizon offers a wide range of cellular service plans for customers who use their devices in different ways. Though prices might be higher than other providers, the level of service and extra features make Verizon stand out.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I bought a phone from Verizon Wireless. Got the insurance. Within a week the phone completely quit working. I try to submit a claim and they told me that they wouldn't replace the phone so I didn't pay the bill. They sent it over to a collection agency. I have repeatedly told the collection agency the same thing. When I get my new phone I will pay the bill so I went over to the Apple store. They gave me a phone and the guy told me if I had any problems with it to bring it straight back to them and he would be more than happy to send it off and give me a replacement. So I find that apple is a better company than Verizon wireless.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

No person can help me with a problem they created. All they tell me is they can't help me for 30 days and they are the ones who made the mistake to begin with. If it wasn't for the cell phone coverage I would switch back to AT&T in a minute.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I have had my fair share of experiences with Verizon customer service. You always can have a bad rep in a store. It's been several years since my last need for customer serviced but I went into the Springfield, OH store and they were all rude to not just me but everyone. My phone hadn't made or received a call and they found that the fraud department locked my device and disconnected my number and only they could unlock it.

I spent a total of 6 hours over 2 days with just the fraud dept. Mostly on hold. For the fraud dept to tell the first day it would be fixed within the hour. Next day still not working. I go back to the store and when I went to check in the guy asked me what I wanted them to do about my phone not working very rudely. I said I just want my phone to work. So several hours later and another fraud dept phone call a supervisor on the phone tells me he can't reconnect my line. So I drive up the road to AT&T and they fought with verizon for 3.5 hours to get my number released and I now have better coverage in my area and my bill is cheaper not to mention the gifts AT&T provided like a new s22+, a smart watch, and a hotspot with unlimited data.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Verizon customer service is by far the worst to deal with. When I call, they have either hung up on me, don't know what services they have, or just act stupid. I am constantly in multiple dead spots according to them and often transferred to multiple people where they go over only 1 step troubleshooting over and over again. At times I can never get an agent on the phone instead opens a chat and 1 misspelled word or something they are not familiar with the chat closes. I spend way too much just for 1 line to deal with this type of crap, I will be looking for another provider real soon.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

My husband and I have paid per our contract with Verizon wireless since the beginning of our Contract sign on in December 2020, two free phones and An iPad costing $1499 (Hundred dollars off iPad). Verizon has received $4. Above the Contract amount with each month being Paid. We let them know we were paying off the iPad today as they stated we owed two payments left of $60.41 on this device. They now, can't apply the $120 given to them for this device because the moron employee (who allowed me to take a photo of his Verizon Screen showing two payments left of 60.41 for the iPad) could not separate the Device and the monthly service fee for this device and give us receipt of The iPad being paid off although he told me he could and the Verizon Executive persons stated this would be fine.

I am not late on my bill and so they stated this should go towards the next bill,... WRONG!!! Bait & Switch and Misconceptions all the time. I find Verizon to be UNETHICAL, Thieves, and Not good to Their loyal customers!!! They are going to correct this, we lost an entire day dealing with their **, and now I am sending photos and all evidence to the CPFB! Don't trust Verizon and if you have to deal with them, they are another shady & Greedy corporation that you have to stay on top of because they will STEAL from YOU!!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

The customer service is absolutely terrible. All I'm trying to do is merge a phone number and this process is now going on three weeks and no solution. I've made multiple hour long phone calls, no solutions. The people working in this department offer little to no help. They keep sending me to different people and still no one can give me the help and results I need. I've lost many jobs (this phone is for my business) and countless leads. If you are thinking about switching to Verizon, please don't. They do not help at all. Very frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I recently switched from Boost Mobile to Verizon Wireless. Transferred my old phone number that I've had for 15 years along to new service with Verizon Wireless. I've gotten the most expensive plan they have with unlimited everything and for the past month I've had nothing but problems with my Wi-Fi connectivity and everything I have. Went into the office twice and called them eight times trying to get my phone service situated with no results. The third time I went into the office was today and I'm hoping that my phone works this time. Not even my hotspot has been working and they've said that I've used all of it.

I asked for a discount on this bill considering the whole entire month has not really worked very good at all. Maybe 5% worked. Customer service refuse to help me after all the money that I have recently spent and added a second phone as well and she's only going to give me a $5 credit. What kind of company does that? What kind of company tells their customers what they what this lady told me, I have spent $500 with this company in just a couple of days. Needless to say what I pay on a monthly basis and don't even get what I'm supposed to. I am not very happy and I regret leaving Boost Mobile that I had for 15 years.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I have had the very worst experience with this cell provider for the last 4 years. It was great for 10 years prior. I drop most calls, no internet even with 4or 5 Bars on 5G. My calls only go through on wifi. I have an unlimited plan that is totally worthless but still have a bill of $284.00 a month to pay. Can't wait to pay off these phone and get off the Verizon plan totally. If you call and complain they are like sorry we can't help you. Horrible customer service as well as cell service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Since June 2022 I’ve made many calls to Verizon Support and several trips to local Verizon store. In short there’s a daily average of 5-7 towers in my area that’s down. (This per Verizon) I live on rural side of town. I’m lucky to get 1 bar of signal. And being told to use wifi to make calls. What’s the point of having a cell phone if I can’t travel with it? They open a ticket, then next day close it. But never fix the problem. I pay $330/mo for 5 phones all are within a year old, 2 are brand new.

But it’s not just me, most people in my community are having same problems. Why won’t Verizon fix the problem?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I've been with Verizon for over 20 years. I was involved in a car accident and fell behind in my bills. Had surgery and was out of work for 8 weeks. I asked for few more days on my extension and was told NO. DISCONNECTED MY SERVICE. LEAVING FOR AT&T Absolutely NO LOYALTY AT ALL.. THEY SUCK.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I recently had to get a new phone from Verizon because yet again they no longer supported the phone I purchased through them so it stopped working. I bought this new phone on my plan that I have had with them for 22 years. I expected better customer service. The Verizon tech put a screen protector on my phone and I had it in a case. I dropped my phone less than 2 feet off the ground and it hit my foot and the screen cracked. The phone was only 3 days old. So I took it back to the same store and they said I would have to go through Asurion their insurance company. They charged me 189 dollars and then sent me a refurbished phone that has been messing up since I got it. I feel if I am paying for a brand new phone I should have gotten a brand new replacement. Shame on Verizon for not honoring the screen protector warranty that they placed on my phone.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Ever since Verizon purchased Tracfone I have had a terrible problem involving my Caller ID. Whenever I make a call to a landline phone, a different name shows up in their phone and, since they don't recognize the name...they don't answer my call. I have called tracfone dozens of times to get it corrected...and they have contacted Verizon cause it's a problem that they caused when their systems merged with tracfone.... However, they have not corrected it.... I am close to discontinuing service with tracfone because of this...and, in no way will I ever buy a phone which uses Verizon as a provider....very unhappy with Verizon and the customer service they are giving tracfone customers. Shame on you.... Larry

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

My initial problem started 5/15/2022 when I would have prolonged buffering while listening to a podcast with the service I have had for years with no prior issues. When I called, I was instantly told I could have much faster more reliable service for and additional $10/month. So I switched to the higher priced plan. The following day the problem was much worse with more frequent and prolonged buffering. I again called Verizon who told me that I had not purchased the higher speed internet for peak hours, so I was being pushed off. When I inquired about going back to my prior plan which had performed better than “the upgraded plan”, but was told that plan was no longer available and I could not go back. I explained that none of the actual details of the "upgraded plan" was disclosed to me, which Verizon was not interested.

It was clear the Verizon customer service were now only salespeople with the intent to sell more services. It came as a surprise when I was told that I only purchased the regular faster internet and did not pay for the premium access. I was unaware that there were 2 levels of service for the same speed. I was then told in order to prevent being knocked off the internet during peak use hours, I needed to again upgrade my plan. Now paying $30 more from my original plan. Since I had both plans overlapping during the billing cycle, I was charged for both plans the first month which I protested, but clearly Verizon was well aware and not interested.

I then called again on 8/24/2022 with my new again "upgraded service" which was still having shorter episodes of buffering. I talked with "Harris" which I am sure was not his real name. He explained how eager he was to help me and that he had been with the company for 15years, but that he had to talk with IT to resolve my problem. He then placed me on a 30minute hold without checking back. This was clearly a tactic to “deal with me” without having to resolve the issue.

This is the exact behavior I received from ATT before I switched to Verizon 7 years ago. At the time I was impressed with Verizon’s customer service. Now it appears customer service is a sales department, delivering misinformation to customers to upsell their plans with no accountability for the information that they relay, Very Disappointed with the New Verizon customer service and the disingenuous attempts at selling higher priced plans without any accountability for service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Verizon refuses to unlock my phone even though I've purchased it outright and cancelled my contract. They have the technical capacity but will not do it. Absolutely terrible company. In addition, associates were rude, sluggish, and did not listen well. I talked to three different people and all were unhelpful.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Unfortunately this is an awful company that just keeps getting worse. I spent close to five hours online with customer service recently and got nowhere. Here I am again the next day calling them again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

* Abject Unprofessionalism: I had just arrived back in the US after 23 years in Tokyo expecting US customer service to be at least what I had experienced in Japan. The joke was on me. It was one of the worst cases of incompetence I've ever encountered. At the Verizon shop in Rochester, I agreed to a Jetpack contract after being assured it would be adequate for my Zoom meeting in my area not far from town.

1: They spelled my name "Philip" > "Philp".

2: The device did not function even remotely close to the promised "adequate".

3: The website address I was told to use for complaints did not work. I was told later at the shop that website did not work for my device.

4: I called the number the shop staff gave me. I spoke to a "Kevin" who hung up on me when I told him I wanted to speak to his supervisor.

5: I called back and spoke to a Jazmin who did not give me any employee identification number. The 2 calls took 1.25 hours.

6: I reluctantly agreed to a "call-back" within a few days. After 2 weeks and no "call-back", I had to call again.

7: I spoke to a higher manager who told me they could not give me a full refund. The device did not work, so they "generously" agreed to give me a 50% discount for the 2nd month.

8: I took the device back to the shop, and they wanted to charge me a "restocking fee" (charged starting 3 days after the signing of the contract), something they told me the initial salesperson was supposed to tell me. They "graciously" didn't charge me that fee. There was no responsibility taken or apology given. The initial salesperson was blamed.

9: Instead of getting an actual discount, they instead sent me a Verizon credit card with the money they "generously" refunded me for a device that did not work. I do not need another credit card, and I most certainly do not need a credit card that will cost me a $3.50 fee each month of use.

So here I sit with a useless credit card carrying $45.74 I am afraid to activate lest I have to waste 3.50 each month and hours on the phone activating, deactivating, and troubleshooting. Verizon is NOT going to treat you well.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I have been a great customer for Verizon. Always carried insurance on all my devices, along with paid my bill on time with auto pay. I also recently purchased two new iPhones and an Apple watch. All devices were supposed to be covered. Sales person only put coverage on my phones like hello something that goes on my wrist is far more likely to break than my phone. Well didn't find out I didn't have coverage until lo and behold I lost the watch while moving. Guess who won't cover the watch that I am still paying for the company I have been loyal to for years. I am absolutely appalled at not only the fact that they won't cover it but the way they treated me like I was the idiot that trusted their sales person and didn't verify I had coverage like what???

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I ordered new Verizon Wireless service and received a phone connected to a different customer. I returned the phone to Verizon after informing them that the phone had a different customer. I keep receiving bills for 450 from Verizon. What a ripoff. I don't recommend their service.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I joined Verizon over the phone because they promised me 30.00 per line and 4 free phones. They lied. They charge me at least 333.00 every single month. They keep promising to fix it but they never do and they never will.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Every month I have called up disputing my bill they tell me it’s corrected I’m gonna get credits next month I was told when I purchased my 4 phones I was going to get 1,000 back for each iPhone towards my bill. I have got nothing since March. I don’t understand how a company cannot correct this, And I have to waste my time on hold. They tell me the problem's fixed. It’s not fixed this month and it’s still not corrected, so here I go again calling to correct this.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

20+ years no help with problems. Asked to stop service. Billed for 2 more months but did not use Phone. They sent bill to collections but show no calls made for last 2 months on bill. Wrote Verizon 3 times, called several times.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I ordered a new phone for a family member and ask for black and received white. Customer service tells me that I have to pay a $50 restocking fee. WHAT!! Why would I pay for a mistake they made? I am told that the receipt of which she emails me a copy states I requested a white phone. Well, of course it says white!!!! That is what they sent me, BUT not what I ordered. The clincher here is that after I pay $450 for this WHITE phone there is no charging block! It has the charging cord but nothing to plug it into for the outlet! Stupid thing is, while my husband & I have iPhones the end of the cord fits any USB block so why not just keep them all universal? Now I have to buy a charging block for another fee because it's a smaller size end so it won't fit my charging blocks.

Since I am at least 20-30 minutes to the nearest Verizon, Wal-Mart or Best Buy, now I have to rearrange my schedule to go get something that should have been included in the first place!!!! Who send a phone with no way to charge it! You can't fix stupid but I can fix being ripped off. I am done with iPhone! When any of these phones die I will buy another brand. Who would think to ask if it includes a charger? Verizon is too stupid to tell me that I need a charger! I might have said, bull crap I'll find another brand to buy. Next phone brand I will make sure they come with a phone charger! It's like selling me a car with no tires!!!! I guess I am lucky as read these other reviews.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

We planned an international trip, so I get the international travel for a month. I put the coverage on one phone (just in case). I don't think we even used it, but okay, it was a $100 safety net. We get back, and I neglect to cancel the plan. Oops. I gave Verizon the beginning and end date for our travel, and thought that was covered (why would they ask for the end date??). Unfortunately, that didn't matter. Giving them an end date was a waste of time because they didn't need it. I didn't notice the fine print about having to cancel the service, and I got charged the following month. Okay... a bummer, but my bad. I'll take the hit.

As soon as I realize we got billed again, I contacted Verizon to remove the coverage from the phone we put it on. All set, right? Nope. Because we canceled the coverage during the current billing cycle (8 days into the cycle), and because Verizon doesn't prorate the coverage, we were charged yet another full month of coverage. So something that should have cost me $100 ended up costing me $300. I tried arguing our case to the flunky agent in chat, but she just kept tossing out the "not prorated" description and going by the money-grab script. It's clear that the agents are instructed to suck out as much $$$ as they can and not give an inch on refunds. Very disappointing. I will never use the international travel plan again. Travelers beware; learn from my mistake and experience.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Worst excuse for customer service ever. Verizon obviously values new customers far more than existing ones, which is just sad. We’ve been loyal Verizon customers for over 20 years. But today, y’all just hit the limit of what I can deal with regarding incompetency, insulting remarks and horrifically bad customer service. We have multiple lines with you and were trying to add yet another. But, your shipping center in Fort Worth, Texas sent our phone to Eve in Minneapolis. And Eve received our phone. (Let’s not even TALK about the NPPI issues involved, since I shouldn’t know Eve’s name, where she lives or her phone number.)

After having taken a half day out of his work week to discover that Verizon sent the wrong phone to us and there is no fix for it except to send it back (and HOPE that Eve sends her incorrect phone back as well), the “customer service” representative was so insulting to tell him he was “lucky” because Verizon would waive the restocking fee. PARDON ME? Lucky? That we don’t have to pay for something that was their fault in the first place? We have to drive 80+ miles, round trip, to get to a Verizon store, because this situation cannot be resolved in a timely manner by visiting an authorized dealer. This phone was going to be a work phone for my husband, so business cards, and more, have been ordered (and paid for) with the number that we were assigned.

Even with all of THAT, my husband was willing to take MORE time out of his schedule to drive to a store. He didn’t ask for gas reimbursement or money back for the cards, etc. that will now need to be corrected. The ONE thing he asked for was a phone upgrade. That’s it. A measly phone upgrade from a multi-million-dollar company with whom we’ve done business for more than 20 years. And they said no. Instead, we were told that there are no promotions on the upgraded phone. I’m sorry, but how is that my problem? FIX the situation. That’s what good customer service is. That’s what you do when your company screws up.

Deciding to let it go for the day yesterday, I called back today. No one was the least bit interested in fixing this situation. Instead, I got more talk about new phone promotions and their “business model.” I’ve worked in customer service for a LONG time. This is not how you deescalate a customer service issue. Verizon, you have disappointed me over the years, but I’ve always found a way to get past it. Today, though, you just dropped that proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. Your utter lack of concern, the insulting way you flat-out told us we were lucky that we weren’t going to be charged for YOUR error and your idea that quoting promotions, company policy and your business model to me is good customer service proves that you have gotten too big to care about loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

There are so many things wrong with this company, it's hard to know where to start. First, I was convinced to go with a new phone instead of bringing my phone in based on the low price being offered. The rep told me that it was a $700 phone that was being discounted to about $150. Too good of a deal to pass up, right? I even asked her twice if I decided to leave before two years, would I still get that $150 price, and she said yes both times. That was a downright lie. Even though they tell you that you don't have a contract, if you leave before those two years are up, you owe the full price on that phone.

I have 8 months left on those two years, and if I leave right now, I will owe $230 on that phone, and in no universe is it worth that much. 2nd we were ripped off of our $450 in rebates and I only got $200 of it after I reported them to the BBB and agreed to that to close the claim. Now, even our bill keeps inching up $3 every couple months, like I'm not going to notice? Verizon is ridiculously overpriced, and I wish I had never given them a 2nd chance. Believe me, when these 8 months are gone, I will transfer to another company and will never go back to Verizon.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Don't buy Verizon! Freeport, FL. Upgraded to S22 from A51; cell quality went to 1 4G bar. Places I used to get great coverage now no service/dropped calls. Spoke w/ level 2 techs 4 times, replaced chips--no improvement. Their tech data shows poor service/dropped calls since S22. Tried Moto G, but same poor results. Verizon says there's nothing they can do. They require me to have 5G plan, but can't even provide 4G coverage; their coverage map reflect high 4G coverage in my area. They won't discount plan charges, nothing. Their bottom line is "sucks to be you." Don't buy Verizon.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Decided to trade in my mother's Note 10 for an iPhone 13. Store couldn’t get the deal we wanted so called in to Verizon. Didn’t quite get deal we wanted but was 50% off so $440 over 36 mo. We ended up missing the deliveries. Phone and accessories were sent back to sender after trying to have them rerouted by UPS with no prevail. I have now been on the phone for over 7 hours trying to get them resent. Still waiting. Oh the order process started 8/9/2022 and it is now 8/26/2022. Still waiting to be able to reorder the duplicate order.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Since there is no negative rating we were forced to give the lowest allowable...1 star. Verizon Wireless customer for almost 16 years and always kept our account in good standing. Thought so much of Verizon, we talked them up to friends & Family. As time went on in our multi year relationship Verizon seemed to forget about those good customers who kept them in business. Verizon decreases the size or your plan with relatively no benefit to the customer. Dropped us to a 2Gb a month data limit. Twice in the past year we were forced to spend $15 just to purchase 1Gb of data. We had enough and switched carriers early in a billing cycle and first of all we are absolutely GLAD we did.

Verizon then begins to act stupid about business relationships and annotates that our account has been suspended after texting us to let us know that our service provider has been changed. Then without providing service for 22 days of the billing period, Verizon assumes the entire amount or money that we prepaid for that month was their money. How can a large company such as Verizon not understand they are service oriented and if there is no service provided by them they are not entitled to the money.

After 3 different attempts to make our case with Verizon, we finally found a Verizon customer service professional who felt our pain and was able to at least promise a refund of 50% of our last payment. We have not seen it yet but we will for sure put the word out on Verizon's POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. We will never be with them as customers and will do our best to convince as many others as we can. Highly recommend to all to NEVER EVER do business with Verizon, there are much better mobile service alternatives available and we found ours!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

My experience with Verizon has been feeling ripped off over and over again. Here is why.... When I joined Verizon, they had a Black Friday deal where I was supposed to receive $500 Visa card. I followed up for 2 years and did not receive a penny from Verizon as promised. Today felt the worst. I went to Tanzania for 3 weeks and had international plan implemented where I had to pay $10 per day for each day I use Verizon services. I am a realtor and most of the days I was there, my client could not call or text me. They received an error message every time they called me and most of their text messages did not come through completely.

I lost a lot of businesses, one was $15,000 in commission. The client said that he saw my listing sign, called me and could not get hold of me and decided to find a different Realtor. That is only one of many. I got emails from my clients who knew my email saying that they could not get hold of me. I called Verizon right away and they told me to call them when I get back. I called them when I got back and the representative offered me $20. I said, "I hope that is not a joke." She said, "The cycle is not over, so call after Aug 23rd and we can refund the full amount," which is about $240. I called today the 24th and I was told I could only receive $40 after being on the phone with them for over an hour and talked to a supervisor as well. She said there is no one above her I can talk to.

There has been a couple of other really bad experiences that I have had with Verizon but I have two of their new phones and if I try to change to a different company, I have to pay them $1200. I left this review on Facebook and they told me to reach out to them. It is the same Verizon, does not resolve anything EVER. They said even though I only received may be 10% of the services rendered, I am required to pay the full amount.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

My husband and I have been customers for over 10 years. Ordered 2 iPhone 13 Pro online no problem. iPhones send to our home through FedEx. Husband picked up unopened box, inside 2 empty phone boxes. Immediately contacted Verizon and ticket opened. We were told we would be contacted in 24-48 hours. Called 3 days later and were advised 7-10 business days for investigation.

No one called. My husband called after 1.5 weeks and was told investigation closed and new phones to be issued. My husband requested phones be sent to store for pick up but was told not an option. Certified mail not an option. In 3 business days, 2 new unopened boxes delivered by Fedex. Yet again empty iPhone boxes inside. My husband files police report. We have both called customer service regarding this matter and get the runaround. Neither of us are confrontational but this is bananas and be told different things is beyond frustrating. We have reported them to BBB. The first time ok, second time forget it.

Verizon Wireless Company Information