1.85/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5739 Verizon Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

After consideration we selected family plan and devices from local Verizon dealer. It was a close run between others. We mainly selected the plan according to price difference. We asked 3 times if 2GB plan for each phone. The replay clearly stated that fact. We also asked if the plan automatically blocks usage while reaching the 2 GB. As of today we learnt that we were given wrong facts. First of all, such a automatic limit would require additional deal with additional cost. Secondly, we were told that 2BG limit was for the whole family deal, not for each phone.

Our decision to pick Verizon was then based on false information given by the Verizon dealer (at 6645 S Fry Rd Suite 500, Katy, TX 77494). The shop supervisor did not take any responsibility of the cases. She just told the person who dealt with us being a temporary employee. We are not discussing huge money here, the price difference is $20 monthly. It is just, this is totally unethical way of doing business. I recommend to take any comments in written form or record those. This probably was my last dealing with Verizon for few years. And I won't step in that specific shop anymore even once.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I wanted to put a NO STAR but it doesn't have this option. I am a very generous person and always tries to understand and please others. In addition, I am an elected official and I must provide some facts tonight and let everyone know to stay FAR away from this horrible company. I started out just wanted a phone when I was about to travel to Europe last July (2018). I did my research and found that Verizon was the only carrier that has a non-contact $40 per month plan for roaming in Europe. I guess that's when all the horrible things started.

First, it took me 6 hours to obtain the service. That's right 6 hours to get my phone! I can never get it back. I first just wanted to get a SIM card because my phone has a dual SIM capability. The salesperson said it would work but unfortunately, after 3 hours on figuring out why my phone was not receiving signal, the salesperson finally figured out that the Verizon SIM was incompatible to my phone! Since I wasted 3 hours of my life, I proceeded to just get the phone and hopefully I would be on my way.

Instead, I had to wait for another 3 more hours and finally I was able to get the ASUS phone up and running. 6 hours! That's almost an entire day at work! While I was in Eastern Europe, the phone signal and service were terrible. I was not getting much cell signals in Croatia and it was somehow just sucking up all my data from the TCPIP handshakes. Nonetheless, as a consumer, I just sucked it up and let it go. It can't be more than a 100 bucks... I assumed.

When I came back to the States, I proceeded to close my account and that's when the fun started. I returned to phone one day late due to a plane delay and the salesperson stated I cannot return the phone anymore and that he would ask his manager to see what he can do and promised to provide a status once found a solution. Of course, I never got a callback. I waited for another 2 weeks and asked for the same salesperson. Well, the salesperson was no longer at that particular store thus I had to track down his new location. I asked him again to provide a status with the return, then he stated he will take care of it... Ok, then I went on with my life...

While in resolution (I presumed), 2 months past and I then got a Verizon bill for $411! Bear in mind, I only wanted to use this phone for 2 weeks! I thought it was being resolved!! Now, the statement stated the phone has been terminated! Great! At least it has been terminated. I went to the same Verizon store and just wanted to have this issue go away! I was not happy but whatever... so I paid off the $411 dollars and asked the Verizon rep if this is it. This will terminate the contract and the sales rep replied, "YES." GREAT. Life goes on!

In October, I suddenly got more bills from Verizon!! This time $115 bucks. I'm like, "What is going on now. Why do I keep owing them money when I have terminated the phone. The phone line was terminated and I paid it off!" This time, they stated and I paraphrase, "Thank you for making the payment. Since you made the payment, your phone line was reactivated and you are back in good standing so you have to keep paying!!" I went back to the sales rep and I said, "What is this? I thought I paid and I made it very clear that I wanted to have it terminated and you stated it was!" The sales rep said, "Well, somehow the phone was reinstated and now the bill keeps coming even though you don't even use it." I'm like, "This is crazy. I want nothing to do with Verizon. I just wanted to terminate this phone once and for all!!!"

The Verizon sales rep then called Verizon Wireless... I wasted another 3 hours of my life that I cannot get it back. AT LEAST at the end of this conversation, that Verizon sales rep made me buy out my phone $399 and other charges and she stated, "That's it, you have paid fully!!! Your account is now $0 balance!" I wanted to verify and asked multiple times. It was VERY CLEAR that I do not have any more payment. At this moment, I paid over $800 dollars for 2 weeks of usage while I continuously trying to terminate this non-contract phone.

So guess what! In January, I somehow got another phone bill from Verizon. I'm like you must be ** me. This is incredible. I did some research and checked my balance in regards to this account and it stated I have a 0 balance. I'm like, "There's got to be some database irregularity because I vividly remember from the Verizon rep that I do not have any more outstanding payment!" So, life goes on...

Today, I got an interesting call from a collection agency representing Verizon. I am like, "This is out of control! I pay everything on time all the time, I have an 815 credit score, what could this be???" Then she said I have an outstanding balance from Verizon of $68 dollars! This is seriously blowing my mind!!! 6 months I have been trying to get rid of Verizon and they are still milking me!!! I wasted another 3 hours of my life spending time at the Verizon Store and spoke with some very unprofessional "running in circles" supervisor "Kyle". I absolutely wanted to take them to court!!! But then I would just be wasting more of my time... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SITUATION... Verizon, you have made a great name for yourself. I will always advocate my constituents, friends, county, the state in regards to my experience. You can be sure that I will tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth about Verizon Wireless.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Our family account was hacked twice and caused $8000 of phones to pay. We resolved this twice and out of nowhere my family of 8 all had their lines disconnected yesterday claiming we never fixed the original problem and now owe them the money. No phone call or email beforehand.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I signed up for home phone wireless in 2014 with Verizon. Monthly bill went up just pennies during the four years I had their service. BUT, when I got ready to cancel as I no longer needed this service, I researched Verizon and found the number to cancel service only to be told I would need to go to the office to cancel. Went to the local office and they called someone who spent time with me only to tell me to call a different number to cancel when I had access to my email account. I called that number only to be told to go to the corporate office to cancel.

I went to the address given for the corporate office to cancel and was told that was not the corporate office, that it was "down the street". Could not find it "down the street" so called a telephone number of Verizon only to be given a different telephone number to call to get the address. I finally found the corporate office, walked through the door, and was told they could give me a number to call to cancel. I told them, no, that I was at the corporate office and that they would cancel my account while I was there. Bottom line, do not sign up with Verizon unless you intend to stay with them for life.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

The employees of this company will tell you anything just to get to the end and have the sale completed. The employees in charge of correcting this behavior pass the buck to other departments and have a I don’t care attitude. I tried to purchase home internet and wireless services through Verizon. I was chatting and got the home service part complete, I was then transferred to the wireless department. The rep asked me to complete a form, I asked him will this hit my credit again cause it was already hit by the other department, he told me no.

After entering my information it was a automatic hit because I immediately got the confirmation from Credit Karma. I told the rep that it hit and he said that was only on his end. I mentioned the confirmation from Credit Karma and the fact his screen just said it ran a credit check. I asked him to remove it immediately and he said he will but in the meantime provide my IMEI, I told him I will not go forward until proof was provided that the inquiry was removed. He said he can’t do that so I told him to cancel the whole thing.

I was transferred where I explained the whole situation. This rep told me they can not find an order to cancel and I have to call Equifax to remove the hit. Later that night I got a message to confirm my appointment with the tech who will arrive tomorrow. This order should not have existed according to the rep so I had to cancel through the confirmation message. The next day I called Equifax who said only the company that made the inquiry can remove it.

Called Verizon back and they said they will not remove it because it is not fraud cause someone else did not use my SSN. I explained that "There is more than one way to be fraudulent, if your company lied to me to get me to put in my SSN, then that is fraud." She insisted it wasn’t and the phone call did not end well. I was lied to several times by this company. Beware and ask plenty of questions, don’t just let them guide you through and in the end you don’t get the deal you want because they lied to you just to get your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

A very friendly Verizon agent on the phone promised me a gift card and a 200.00 coupon for Nest products if I would sign up for Verizon. I never received the gift card and the e-mails I got regarding the Nest products implied that they needed to be linked to Verizon to use them similar to paying ADT for home security monitoring. This was not mentioned at signing time. When I went to the Verizon site to determine the problem I was told that I needed to apply for the card by e-mail and that the time period to do that had expired.

Neither the clerk on the phone nor the installer mentioned any further action necessary on my part once signed up. I gave them everything in regards to information but my most intimate secrets and can't imagine what else they needed to get me my promised gifts. I am sure that there is something in the pages of fine print that states these conditions but there is no other word for their tactic but misleading. I do not know if the agent I chatted with was well informed because the chat consisted of broken English and poor syntax. I know Comcast has its issues but I would strongly recommend going with or staying with them no matter what's promised.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I will say I left T-Mobile for minor reasons compared to Verizon. I have never received such horrible customer service. I thought they were too of the line. When I received my phone, it was hard to hear. It was extremely low. I mentioned it to the store I bought it from. They didn't care. Even when my account was set up, the lady put a false address and made up a pin on my account. Never did she ask me for this information. She was just trying to get the sell. Anyway, the sound was so low I eventually had to keep my phone on speaker. I bought my phone on July 4, 2018. I began making complaints, I also had every number coming in restricted. People confirmed they were not restricting their calls. Also, missed messages, messages that would receive and send 9 times. I kept calling and complaining.

Finally a manager said she would arrange for me to get a new phone covered by Verizon since she could see all the times I complained and no one could fix it. Then she has me on hold about 30 mins and blind transfers me to Asurion. They had no idea what I was talking about and told me I would have to pay for the new phone. Then I explained everything, Asurion asks me if there was any damage. I advised them I had cracked the screen once a few weeks prior however this was after all of the issues rose with the phone. I paid to have it replace and the same crack reappeared on the screen. I had already contacted them for this and they never contacted me back. Asurion tells me to call Verizon if they said they would cover it and that they (Asurion) would fix the phone screen for free the second time.

I called Verizon and let them know I would have Asurion fix the screen and get everything done. I called Asurion and was told they would not fix the phone for free. I let it go. I gave my card to be charged. I called Verizon and let them know my phone screen would be fixed and if they could arrange for the new phone. No one honored what they said. I ended up paying 200 USD for a darn refurbished phone when I paid money for a brand new phone. The refurbished phone came damaged with a rattling noise. I then ordered another one, and they send one. Now this phone will not fast charge, the upper volume button doesn't really work and the touch on the phone will not recognize my touch often. This is the most horrible thing ever. This seems to be either a refurbished phone or one of those clone phones.

I paid for a new phone, I'm still paying for a new phone and you guys are going to penalize me for issues that had nothing to do with me. I want my money back. And not to mention the horrible agent who I explained that the last person told me this and that and he goes "Will you please shut up about what the last rep told you, you're speaking to me now." I may be young and all but I do not appreciate disrespect. I will post this review until it gets to someone. I am so disgusted and highly dont recommend these people for service. I have been treated so bad, hung up on and you name it. I am always respectful when on the phone yet I deal with reps are frustrated because they don't know how to resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have never written a review about any company until now. However, our experience with Verizon was so egregious, I felt I needed to warn other potential customers. Verizon Wireless is a horrible, unethical company. We had a credit on our account and suspended it due to a move overseas. Bottom line: Verizon absorbed our credit and refused to give us our money back when we closed the account. This company will steal your money if they get a chance. For those of you who are considering Verizon Wireless (although I strongly discourage it), NEVER suspend your account with a credit balance. Your money will disappear.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My husband's phone was cloned, so Verizon just shut his phone down without even telling him and charged 314.00 for international calls which he never even made. We spent at least 5 hours on the phone yesterday. We are going on the 6th hour on the phone waiting for customer service. Every time we get a representative, they tell us to hold again. We even spoke to a so called supervisor just a few minutes ago. Guess what? He couldn't help us either! I am so disgusted with Verizon. No phone and now no help. They deserve a zero.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Having paid monthly for the insurance on phone replacement that we were told covers everything, we would expect our $1000 phone with a lot of features (the Zenfone AR) to be replaced with a phone of similar specs and value instead of a $250 phone with half the memory and way less features (Motorola z2 Force) as no other choice is given for replacement since we are still obligated to pay off the first phone. They do not tell you the insurance will not replace with an even remotely comparable phone.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Let me start by saying thank you to Barry at the Verizon store in Arlington Texas off of Green Oaks for trying his hardest to take care of the mess up that was made by Verizon. We were switching over from another carrier. Called on a Monday 1/7/19 said that the SIM cards will be sent in the mail. We get the sim cards and they don’t work so we go to the Verizon store. The account first offer set up incorrectly by Josh from the call center. Barry goes to import our numbers from the other carrier to the new phones. We decide to get new phones because the old ones wasn’t supported by the Verizon network so we were eligible to get new phones. Once the phone numbers were imported into the Verizon system Verizon is unable to fix our account.

The account is set up where we can’t make any changes until we get our first month’s bill so Barry calls Verizon customer service. They’re unable to tell us when we’re getting our bill but we have some sim cards that we can’t use!!! But we’re getting a bill and no phone service! (Now I’m lost confused and upset) So Barry tried to have that account canceled out. Come to find out because our numbers were imported we no longer have a phone numbers at the old carrier so I go into Verizon with four working phones four sim cards and I leave with three sim cards and no telephone services now!!! With either company!!! Keep in mind it wouldn’t be such a big deal if they would have tried harder are acted like they cared.

I’m a mother of three boys and I am seven months high risk pregnant with no phone no way to call the doctors no way for my children to get in contact with me! I’m also a diabetic Teton 1 for 29 years so my family and husband always check on me and my unborn child!! Verizon did not offer to set up a dummy account to give us a lender phone to try to fix it. No they told us to wait two months and come back!!! Now mind you my account is closing out with the old carrier so I have no phone service and Verizon told me to wait two months and come back to them. I think it’s odd how I’m not even a customer and yet you’ve already messed up my account with the other company as well as the account that I should’ve been walking away with it with your company! But I’m suppose to just come back in 2 months oh and fix our mess up on your own!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I lost thousands of texts using Verizon's backup and restore function. They claim this is a backup and restore. It is not. It is a synching function. Verizon limited how much data could be backed up to the cloud and inadvertently deleted consumer data. When you such back up, the now remaining data overwrite your phone data and deletes all the data that Verizon deletes from their cloud. They do not tell you this. You are left to believe you are backing up your data so you can access historic data perhaps lost on your phone.

What they do not tell you is they have deleted much of your data behind the scenes so when you restore you lose much of what you thought you could get back. I talked to numerous representatives and was finally informed this was a glitch but there was nothing they could do about it... and simply gave me an apology. Do not purchase or use their cloud backup and restore function. It is misrepresented and you will lose data. Go with a different company if you wish to maintain cloud backups of your data.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

FALSE ADVERTISING!!! DO NOT get their data plan for internet. They lie about the amount of usage you get in your plan, then when you agree to the contract they hit you with $2000 in data usage in a week. I had two different Verizon employees tell me beforehand that my data usage plan was unlimited "just like my phone's and iPad" and within a week it changed. They also told me that you have to talk with billing and you get stuck on the eternal hold for over 30 minutes with no one ever picking up. I've got a copy of an instant message with them where they assured me that I was unlimited data.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

They have my mailing address and email, but still insist on blowing up my phone every month the second my bill is past due. I called to complain and they said it's in their terms & conditions. Last year I got TWO texts AND a voice message on Christmas morning, three days AFTER I had made a payment. How intrusive! I don't know what makes them think their customers need to be babysat but it makes paying them my very LAST priority.

AND they have THE most obnoxious voice messaging system EVER. Before you can listen to your message, you have to listen to EVERY stupid, extraneous detail, including the duration. REALLY??? Who cares?! And literally ALL of the other info. shows up on the caller ID anyway. If Verizon's objective is to totally annoy customers and waste their time, they do a fabulous job. And they have also made it very clear that my opinion doesn't matter to them. And on top of everything else, the service is awful. Verizon is HORRIBLE.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was with Verizon Wireless for 8 years and had two phones under a payment plan that I ended up paying off early. Three months after having the phone paid off I canceled service and went to a different provider, which has been great all the way around. Now for Verizon, they come back at me and want 350.00 a line for canceling service. Okay, so as for Verizon I recall in January of 2017 they made the point public that they have done away with the contracts. So when I did the new phones in 2017 and 2018 they mislead the consumer like me into keeping service with them thinking they have the peace of mind to pay the device off and cancel service at any time. They deceived me and millions of other customers.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

If they have promotion that is suppose to recycle your old phone to get new one, please avoid doing it. I didn’t receive cash and when I called to Verizon, they even told me that they didn’t receive my phone while I gave it to the receptionist. Thanks got I have receipt, if not I almost lose everything. I emailed to Verizon department about complaint and instead they offered me credit for my phone bill. I am still not willing to accept about what they have done to me. Please stay away from Verizon as far as possible.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Do not buy a Google phone! I bought the Google Pixel 2 and within six months it would not turn on or do anything. I didn’t do anything to the phone and when I took it back to Verizon to try to get it exchanged for a warranty they said there was a tiny crack in the back of the phone that had nothing to do with why it wasn’t working and that would cause it to not be covered under warranty. Verizon was not helpful at all and basically told me I would still have to pay over $500 that I still owed on the phone and when I sent it back to warranty they would charge me $650 for a new phone.

Why would I spend over $1100 on a piece of junk phone that only last six months? I didn’t do anything wrong to the phone. One day I plugged it in to charge and went to go check it and it wouldn’t turn on or do anything. So I spent $650 on a phone that last me six months and Verizon and Google won’t do anything to remedy to the situation. It’s a horrible phone and even worst customer service! Do not buy a Google phone or patronize Verizon. They have a horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Just before Christmas I tried to use my phone and got a recording that I didn't have enough minutes. I've paid $100/yr for the last 4 yrs and always have carry-over minutes (that's how much I use my phone). Called customer service and spoke with rep. who said I had $116.40 in minutes, but my time had expired on 12-13-18. She said she would refer to her superiors and gave me a number to call back in 24 hours, which I did. That number said my "future update could not be completed??" Unable to contact a human at customer service or *611 after that, as my phone number did not exist and call from a landline said "you do not have a Verizon acct" - per robot. I sent a complaint to FCC who promptly contacted Verizon and the day after Christmas someone from the Executive Office contacted me via email and left a contact number and ext. to call her back.

In that attempt I was told (by a robot) that there was "no recent case associated with this entry." Of course not!! This was my home phone. I was then transferred to a rep. I gave her the ext. and the name of the person I was trying to contact. She told me she could not forward calls to that extension from an outside line. The Executive official sent me an e-mail saying she had tried to contact me but my phone was disconnected...duh. I gave her my home phone and when I finally spoke with her she said I had not made a payment since 2017 and had no record of $50 paid in Sept. 2018.

Evidently, that $50 she had no record of expired in Dec. 2018 after 3 phone calls. However she would "apply a one time $50.00 courtesy credit towards my account" if I purchased more minutes. So now: Verizon is willing to give me a $50 courtesy credit with my own money that they have no record of and ignore the $116.40 balance I had on 12-13-18? What deceitful billing practices. This is a communication conglomerate without any communication. Even the executive offices don't know what the robots are doing and say the recorded responses are incorrect. Case with the FCC is ongoing but, it seems they are now on "furlough." So sad.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was with Verizon for about 8 years. Yes, they are overpriced but I stuck with them because they had great reception in my rural area. The reason I left them almost 2 years ago? They are STILL trying to make me pay for a phone that I traded in to them when I upgraded phones. I paid my portion of the phone before I traded it in. When I went into the store to discuss it with a customer service reps, he was extremely rude and told me that I had to pay for the phone, that they have in their possession! So I decided right then and there that I was switching carriers no matter the cost. Now they've sent me to collections even though I paid my final bill in full, all $1300 of it... So, save yourself the trouble and go with anyone other than Verizon. They don't care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Prepaid phone couldn't be refilled because of blocked credit card. Had a $40.00 plan. Wanted to downsize because of non use of data. I bought a $30.00 card. Entered PIN into phone and credited my account. Wouldn't refill phone until another $10.00 was added. Tried off and on online and by phone to customer service for 2 days to rectify problem. I was hung up on or call was dropped. Tried to add $10.00 to account today with a borrowed credit card online. Wanted the full amount of $40.00 plus fees. Went to the Verizon store. Explained situation. They tried to start a $30.00 plan. They couldn't. I had to pay $11.00 to refill my old plan that I don't want to get my phone working again. 100% customer satisfaction. I don't think so.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Greater than 20 years with Verizon (customer before they even became Verizon) and I have to say I have become so dissatisfied with their customer service. It has become a culture of "not my job". I want to be able to walk into any Verizon store when I have a need whether it be to make an adjustment to my account, get a new phone or submit a claim for a phone through the insurance. There was a time when I could walk in and the associates could help with all needs. Now they just hand you a phone number and say, "We can't do it from here."

I can appreciate centralizing some processes outside of the store but true customer service would be for the sales only in-store staff to get on the phone with the other department and help facilitate the service. They need to get back to a culture where the associate in a sales store is empowered not to just sell you a phone but also to facilitate issue resolution so you can walk out with your problem solved rather than being handed a phone number which inevitably leads to being bounced around. There was a time when they did have that level of service. Fortunately, many other carriers are growing their coverage area and the choices are growing.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

iPhone sporadically rings on incoming calls. Provided visual evidence of ringing problem to employees at Verizon 10031 E 71st St, Tulsa, OK 74133. Verizon tech, **, refused to honor phone warranty. I'm stuck with worthless $1000 iPhone. Never do business with the name VERIZON. They are at top of list of blood sucking corporations.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I cant go into detail. I have been on the phone and the internet with them almost 3.5 hours. Their website stinks, they obviously don't have enough staff. I'll be so happy to get rid of them and would NEVER RECOMMEND Verizon services for ANYTHING EVER.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Updated on 01/07/2019: Today I went in after a long week of going through fraud prevention and was approved for 3000. I wanted 3 iPhone XR. I wanna told I could not get three phones instead I had to get 1 phone an iPad and or two watches! I didn’t need the iPad or watches but next to me was a couple of ** kids who were also applying and got approved for the same amount and walked out with their phones. Meanwhile I as a ** woman was referred to fraud prevention and I’m standing there with my driver's license and debit card just like the kids standing beside me.

The customer service and the manager at the W Saginaw location in Lansing MI are rude. They don’t let you finish talking before the interrupt you and have no knowledge on customer service. The manager was even more rude! So now I am returning the phone I was able to get because I don’t feel I should give my money where I’m not valued as a human but as a color! I wouldn’t recommend anyone to be a Verizon customer. The people beside me have given their information to me so I can make a review and or contact an attorney because they seen the way I was being treated. Horrible horrible service so after a week of dealing with Verizon I’m returning the phone I did get and going to T-Mobile where it took them ten minutes to get me what I needed and out the door! Without judging my color!

Original Review: Today I went in after a long week of going through fraud prevention and was approved for 3000. I wanted 3 iPhone XR. I wanna told I could not get three phones instead I had to get 1 phone an iPad and or two watches! I didn’t need the iPad or watches but next to me was a couple of ** kids who were also applying and got approved for the same amount and walked out with their phones. Meanwhile I as a ** woman was referred to fraud prevention and I’m standing there with my driver's license and debit card just like the kids standing beside me. The customer service and the manager at the W Saginaw location in Lansing MI are rude. They don’t let you finish talking before the interrupt you and have no knowledge on customer service.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I will not go into all the details of my experience at the Verizon Store in Springboro, Ohio except to say Jake ** was very helpful and kind with a sensitive issue. Highly recommend him if you have to go through the pain of getting a new phone when you don’t want to.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I ported my number to T-Mobile on the 20th, auto pay to Verizon was due on the 30th, so on the 30th Verizon took $55 out of my account, I waited on hold for 45 min. finally spoke to an agent, where I was informed that Verizon won't give my money back! their excuse is they can't refund money on a canceled number! So there policy allows them to take money out of your account using auto pay when your number is canceled but they're not allowed to give it back! Nice huh. I'm very frustrated with this situation. Verizon makes way more money than me, yet they steal my money and I can't do anything about it?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I am going to try and keep some perspective here. I come from the time of 300 baud modems that would take 27,000 seconds to download a 1 MB file. That's 7.5 hours. Now, I see speeds of 1 or 2 MB per second over my Verizon MIFI during its 15 gb initial download allowance. After that, however, we enter the smoke signal phase in which 300 baud is the norm, only now and then getting into the multiple KB per second range. If, like me, you have acquired an Xbox or Netflix habit, you are up against required downloads for the Xbox of many 10s of GigaBytes and in some cases, near 100 GB. For Netflix, even ordinary HD, requires near 1 MB per second to avoid endless stops for buffering.

Finding this unacceptable, I contacted Verizon to be glad mouthed for 15 minutes about the problems. I appreciate the bandwidth problems - I do - but do not oversell your available bandwidth in order to provide crappy service to all customers equally. Even with the DSL at my wife's office the Call of Duty download took several hours at nominal speeds of 100 MB per sec to get the entire 76 GB download done. I know this is large data usage but if this is not possible on your unlimited data plan, Verizon, say so up front.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

During the past three days, five and a half hours Verizon Fios has been unable to set up my new account. Fios has not only been unable to set up the account they cannot even maintain the information in their files after they waste hours of your time documenting it! This has been a nightmare of the highest level. If this is the kind of service they offer to sign up, what would the actual Verizon experience as a customer be like!!!

When I called for service, they made an offer. Three days later they said they lost the order and would start over without the same benefits!!! Three days for nothing! I have never experienced this kind of incompetence anywhere. That a company thinks nothing of wasting customer time and not even apologizing is outrageous! Needless to say, I am contacting other providers none of which have spent more than a few minutes detailing the benefits of their services. If you value either your time or your money, don't bother with Fios, it is a total waste of time and money!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I would really give a - star for their service. Half of the customer care don't know what they are in for. They keep transferring calls to various teams. If you are fortunate enough you will end up in good guy who know what he is doing. Else you will be transferred. I got transferred 7 times and finally landed up to same place where I went in through automated voice. I think their robotics is better than human employees they have. Am happy am no longer part of them. And never ever in my life opt for Verizon or recommend to anyone. I would say like me for pixels phone craze don't fall into Verizon trap. Just save money and get a phone in own. Lesson learned.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

After much discussion with various people representing Verizon (at Verizon store, over the phone and via online chat through their website), I discovered that their rates change depending on whom you speak with. On December 26, 2018, I confirmed via online chat through their website that to add a 2nd line to my service, with the minimal service plan, it would cost a total of $50+tax/month. I had been on a $30/month plan. I confirmed the amount several times to be sure.

Today, I received the new phone I ordered and looked at my bill, which showed $55/month. I initiated a new chat to discuss. The rep this time said that the rate must be $55 and there is no way to honor the $50/month rate that was offered to me in writing two days prior. This rep claims that her rep has also confirmed that the $55/month rate is what it must be and they will not honor the rate given to me earlier. This is illegal. I informed them of this. They do not seem concerned. I suspect they are used to being called out for their illegal activity and learned to brush it off because $5/month isn't worth paying a lawyer to deal with. But if you multiply this by the millions of customers of Verizon, I would think that a class-action lawsuit could help resolve their illegal practices...

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

• Best for: Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs