Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

BOTTOM LINE

Verizon offers a wide range of cellular service plans for customers who use their devices in different ways. Though prices might be higher than other providers, the level of service and extra features make Verizon stand out.

PROS

• 5G available in some areas
  • Discounts on multiple lines
  • Mix & match unlimited plans
  • Parental control app

CONS

• Prices are higher for fewer lines
  • 5G not available in all areas

Top Verizon Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

The manager David, at the Delmont PA - Verizon Wireless store, is awesome. I had an issue and he went above and beyond to resolve my problem… I have never had a service provided be so responsive before. I will recommend Verizon Wireless to anyone that is looking for great customer service!

I get excellent coverage here where others with other companies are not so fortunate. Prices are competitive and the selection of phones is excellent. I have had Verizon for 7 years now and recommend them to everyone and see no chance at all that I will ever change.

What is Verizon Unlimited?

Verizon is a cellular service provider based in the United States. Verizon Unlimited plans offer five levels of service that you can mix and match. All Unlimited plans include coverage in Mexico and Canada and have no roaming charges in the U.S. Verizon Unlimited’s five plans are:

• Start Unlimited works on 4G and includes talk, text and data. It includes 480p video streaming.
    • Play More Unlimited includes 5G access (for compatible phones) and is suitable for music and video streaming. The plan comes with 25 GB of premium data, unlimited mobile hotspot use and HD video streaming.
    • Do More Unlimited includes premium data and has 5G access, 50 GB of mobile hotspot use and 500 GB of cloud storage.
    • Get More Unlimited works on 5G and includes HD video streaming, 75 GB of premium data and unlimited mobile hotspots with 30 GB.
    • Just Kids Unlimited can be added to any other unlimited plan. It comes with 5 GB of data, unlimited talk and text to 20 contacts, 480p video streaming, safety mode, content filters and location tracking.

All of Verizon Unlimited’s plans include a free six-month subscription to Apple Music and a one-year subscription to Disney Plus.

How does Verizon smart family work?

Verizon Smart Family is a companion app that gives you parental controls to help manage your kids’ smartphone use. You can add the service to eligible Verizon accounts, including unlimited plans. Just Kids Unlimited comes with Smart Family. You can use an app on your device to:

• Filter content
    • Monitor and limit calls, texts and purchases
    • Monitor internet use
    • Pause internet access
    • Track another device’s location

Content filters with Smart Family let you block websites and apps by category or manually block specific sites. You can also control the filters for specific family members. For texts and calls, Smart Family lets you see and monitor incoming and outgoing activity, but you can’t read texts or listen to calls.

Smart Family also creates a graph that shows your child’s online activity and website use. You can set time restrictions and limits for purchases billed directly to your Verizon account via carrier billing.

Verizon family plan prices

Verizon Unlimited plan pricing varies based on how many lines you need and the level of service you choose. Start Unlimited for four lines is $35 per month per line. Two lines of Start Unlimited costs $60 per month per line.

Play More Unlimited and Do More Unlimited are both $45 for four lines; Get More is $55 for four lines. Add Just Kids to any unlimited line for $35. All plans incur additional taxes and fees.

Verizon Wireless FAQ

Can I use Verizon Wireless for home internet?
    Verizon offers Fios home internet plans in some areas. You can also use your Verizon mobile hotspot to connect to the internet at home, but hotspot data is limited.
    Is Verizon Wireless the best carrier?
    Whether Verizon Wireless is the best carrier for you depends on your needs and budget. The company offers flexibility in plans, 5G coverage in some areas (with more added regularly) and reliability. Features include Disney Plus and Apple Music. Customer service is available 24/7.
    Is Verizon home Internet unlimited?
    Verizon Fios home internet plans come in three data speeds with no limits on usage.
    Does Verizon have 24/7 customer service?
    Verizon customer service is available 24/7.

Is Verizon Unlimited worth it?

For customers who are looking for a wireless provider with multiple plans and customizable family options, Verizon Wireless is definitely an option to consider. Its Just Kids Unlimited add-on makes it appealing to parents, and, with high data usage options, it’s an ideal choice for large families or avid internet users.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have had Verizon as my provider for the past 15 plus years. Up until recently I would have said stellar. I recently upgraded both phones on our plan because the online deal was unbeatable. I had to fight to get the trade in value advertised on the website. I copied the chat on three separate conversations before upgrading to make sure that I understand what I read online and all three reps confirmed what I was read and understood. When I didn't see the trade credit on my bill they stated that it said up to that dollar amount when in fact it did not. I had three conversation copied and pasted and they then told me that I could not rely on chat even though it was the sales dept I was chatting with.

The final rep finally got those credits for us after days of fighting and 45 min wait times to speak with a rep. In the end they came thru but I should not have had to waste days with hours on hold to get it fixed. I am again satisfied but in the future the company really should cater to the customer especially when they are long time customers who have conversations to prove her argument. Thank you.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I noticed that I was paying a lot more than what my friends were paying for monthly bills. I was not sure how to look up the details of my bill though. Went to the Verizon store in Concord, NH. They wouldn’t show me my usage or explain the bills to me. I was just told I should keep my unlimited plan because it would cost so much more if I went over my limit. I was also upgrading my phone. I wanted to buy a Mophie that attaches directly to my phone like a phone cover. The salesman said Mophie does not make them anymore and sold me a box full of items that I did not want in order to buy a mophie that is about a 3x3 inch box that you have to plug in to.

A week later I had a problem with the phone and they had me wait in another part of the showroom. There in front of me was an entire display of the mophie that I wanted. I talked to a salesman about it and he said they couldn’t do anything about it since I used the items. I demanded to speak to the manager and had to wait a half hour for his service. I told him I was lied to by his salesperson and demanded the return. He did give it to me. A couple of months later I went to Lakes Region Computer. They looked up my plan, explained it to me and found a plan that saved me $40.00 per month. They agreed that I was using only a portion of my plan and did not need unlimited. I do not trust the Concord store, they actually lie to customers, I suspect especially elders. Otherwise the coverage seems to work well in NH. I am a hiker and I need decent coverage.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Verizon unfortunately has some practices that drive me up a wall. Such as throttling speeds even when you are under the guise of an "unlimited everything" plan. I must admit my service for calls in my area is much more reliable than it was with competitor Sprint. My biggest pet peeve is the throttling of speeds. If I truly do not have an unlimited plan then do not price it as such. Phone prices seem standard but I don't see as many deals like buy one get one etc. Any deal I find for a new phone I can find usually cheaper at Best Buy or Samsung.

In store employees are sometimes not as up on issues that can arise for troubleshooting devices. Once I drove to 3 stores with a challenge and 2 stores said my, just out of warranty, $1200 phone had to be replaced. The 3rd popped out the sim card, put in a new one and the issue was all fixed. A difference of $1000 fix to a $15 fix. Sprint I found always had a true repair person in the store and I felt more confident in the troubleshooting repair process.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

My experience at the downtown Philly Verizon store was the best experience I have ever had. It was solely due to an individual employee named Luis. Luis was courteous, diligent, and respectful. I am traveling in Philadelphia from Minneapolis and my phone had a hardware issue rendering it useless. Luis was able to quickly assist me in making an insurance claim and having a replacement phone overnighted to my home. He humbly assisted with deactivating my find my iPhone and did so with a smile on his face.

Additionally, my flight home was 2 hours from that time and I was unable to hail an Uber without a phone but Luis had a solution. He hailed an uber from his own phone to get me to the airport. I have never seen such dedication to customer service and satisfaction. Luis’s energy is contagious and my experience working with him was unparalleled. He is the type of individual that would make a tremendous leader. The way he conducted himself is a model of what outstanding, personable, and caring service can be. Kudos to Luis and I want to thank you for greatly exceeding all expectations. Give this man a raise and put him in a leadership role. He will do great things for this company.

Sincerely,

A thankful Minnesotan

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I bought a phone from another company and was told it would not work for Verizon service because Verizon gets specific phones from the company that work for their service only. I called Samsung and was informed there is no difference between a phone they ship to verizon and the phones they ship to any other dealer. Was informed if I buy a phone from Walmart and go to verizon to buy the exact same model there would be no difference. Either phone should connect. I verified the phone I bought from another company is not locked so there is no reason it should not be usable by verizon. They wanted me to buy the same phone from them for a much higher price. Don't like it when companies try to con me. I always do my research and in this case it paid off.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Did not receive the July auto draft from my bank acct (usually around 12-14) nor any notification it would be drafted like I normally do. On July 25th, received an email that my bill would auto pay on 8/12/2020 for $27.35 more than my regular payment. After receipt of the email, I called & after waiting on hold for almost an hour, spoke w/ a CSR who states that I was set up on some type of relief program due to Covid-19, to which I told her I never asked to be set up as I was fortunate enough to still be working through the pandemic. She stated that I had called in March & due to calling in, was placed on the relief program. I explained my call in March was related to stopping the Apple Watch service as my daughter never used her watch anymore & she stated that regardless of the reason why I called in, I was automatically put in the relief program because I called in!

Now a month of payments has been skipped, and my new monthly payment amount is more! I DID NOT WANT THIS, nor DID I REQUEST THIS! How can you automatically put someone in a program they did not ask for? Is it even legal that Verizon stopped my bank draft? And then even worse, the CSR tells me that she has put in a request to have it changed, but will take a good while because this happened to a LOT of customers! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

When upgrading my phones (2 lines) with Verizon Wireless I was told I would get $350 promotion off of each phone when ordering the phones with trade ins. They forgot to set up trade in, then would not credit me the $350 per line like originally told. I have screen shots of the conversation with the discount mentioned and they would not honor it. I was told false information to buy the phones and to basically get stuck with them. Not happy with Verizon and this big bill that I was not expecting.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I have a business account with over 15 lines. Just bought the dual screen v60. They only sell half of it at the store then you have to get approved online for the second screen. After getting approved was told 3-6 weeks for arrival of other screen yet only have 10 days to return if you don’t like the phone. 3 weeks and still waiting on other half of the screen but can’t decide if I like it and turn it back in with only half the phone. Crock of garbage service.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

My husband and I were surprisingly pleased with our service at the Verizon sales store in Asheville. We were disappointed that we couldn't get a lower price for the iPhone we needed to purchase since we've had an account with Verizon for many years. Matt ** questioned why we wanted a very high end phone for our uses. After talking with him, we opted for a lower priced phone, at his recommendation. I thought it was very nice of him to guide us to a lower price that meets all our needs. He was also very patient setting up the phone for two senior citizens.

Verizon Wireless Company Information