Verizon Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

HORRIFIC customer service!!! I think the operators were drunk and literally just kept hanging up and transferring our calls. I have NO IDEA what is going on over there but we are leaving them like leprosy. Every needs to get smart. These were nasty people answering the phone.

The company makes commitments and does not keep them. Called and spent over 12 hours over 8 months and still they will not resolve the issues. They actually offered a $5 credit for inconvenience, guess where they were told to put that.

Where do I start? Our Internet, TV and Landline Phone went out on Friday, July 28, 2017, and it took them until Tuesday, August 1, 2017 to get it fixed. They made an appointment for Monday, July 31st and never showed. I have a text message confirming that appointment! Now I keep going over my GB on my cell phone and it's because the Wifi in my house isn't working right. Right now I have been on hold for 1 hour 30 minutes trying to get the issue resolved! Then when you do get a rep you can't understand them! This company is HORRIBLE! So glad my plan is almost out and can switch to Comcast! Will be making phone calls to see what over cell carriers will pay off plan to switch! I have documented time, names, dates that if anyone cares to follow up on this consumer abuse company feel free to contact me!

When Verizon reintroduced their "Unlimited" plan, we switched our phones and Home 4G LTE internet service to that plan, even though it restarted the 2 year contract on the internet service, because it promised a better deal providing 4G LTE speeds an ALL our devices until we used 22GB of wi-fi data, at which point it could be slowed to 3G during peak usage. It worked brilliantly for about two months. Back in May, out of blue, we get a text message saying we had met our 10 GB allowance and were now subject to 3G speeds on home wifi. When I called to ask why it had been changed from 22 GB to 10, I was told that's how it always was (it wasn't) and that the system finally "caught up" and started enforcing it. BUT, there was another problem - we weren't even getting 3G speeds. Our laptops would connect to the wifi, but were so slow they were unusable; ditto for our phones.

I called several times and went rounds with customer service and tech support. We ran speed tests that showed data transfer rates in the 1 -2G range. I continued to call. They sent a new router. No change. When data reset at the beginning of a new cycle, 4G was restored, but I'd get the text message within a day saying we were over 10 GB. Back to unusable wifi for the rest of the month. This month, when 4G was reset (on the 9th), I got the text the same afternoon saying that we met our 10 GB allowance, and were now subject to speeds UP TO 600Kbs. Note the change that they no longer said 3G speeds. 600Kbs is on the extreme low threshold of 3G, but we're really only getting about 62kbs.

When I called them today, tech support basically told me it is what it is, and there's nothing I could do about it. I could pay $260 to terminate my contract, I could pay for unusable service until the contract is up, or I could take the home Wifi off the unlimited plan and pay for a crazy expensive separate data plan (I was quoted an 80 GB plan in excess of $500 per month, or a 100'GB plan in excess of $700 per month). The latter option would also make my Unlimited plan for the other devices go up since we would go from four to three devices on the plan.

Verizon is running a classic bait and switch scam - promise you one thing, get you under contract, they let it work as promised long enough for you to recommend it to others and get them under contract, then alter the terms and the service however and whenever they want. So, any way I go, I've lost a lot of money. It's dishonest, it's thievery, and they should not be able to get away with it, but they apparently do with no consequences. Stay away from Verizon 4G LTE Home Broadband service.

I refuse to use Verizon, Zero customer service one is WAY TOO HIGH. I had a 100 dollar overpayment when I had enough of no human to talk to about Verizon issues and swore to never use Verizon again. Verizon took two years before they mailed me a check to me for the 100 dollars. No human to talk to so I finally sent in a certified letter with a bill notice showing I had a over payment and owed nothing.

I went with Cricket but in our area there's no AT&T towers and in my home I got Zero bars, so I found ROK who uses Verizon towers. Great customer service at cheaper rates. Trouble is Though I had my number ported over, can text on wifi Verizon will not allow my phone to be used. It says on the screen, "In order to use this phone on another carrier please call an 888.264.6804 then enter a code." When I call the number the non human says no service. When calling from another phone it says no account then bye hangs up. A very poor service provider with the worst possible public relations and customer service possible. I rather have NO cell phone than Use Verizon, I pray one day an class action suit will be filed against them. I bought my phone but should not be forced to use a company that I hate this much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

A simple request to modify our phone service to save some money turned to a nightmare! Our phone was disconnected and when we tried to contact Verizon it was almost impossible. They are in stealth mode and make it very challenging to get assistance. After spending numerous hours on the phone and chat the problem still exists. No phone service for a week and no ticket was created because if they would create a ticket they would have to credit us for the days that we did not have service. How can a business treat their customers like this? We have paid Verizon thousands of dollars and we get no respect! The big corporation with a monopoly feels they can push us around and have no integrity and be dishonest. At this point we just want out! I rather have no service than deal with thieves. Verizon... Shame on you!

Account number **. Fixed Line number: **. Address: **. Mobile: **. Various ticket numbers, including **. I once again cannot access my Verizon Cloud. This has stopped me from verifying what is in my Backup and Sync folders on my Verizon Cloud for the past 4 days. This has happened several times in the past, since July 2016. I get into an infinite ‘loop’ of having to sign in, provide my user ID, (sometimes) answer my ‘secret question’ and enter my password. I never get to my Verizon Cloud folders.

The details are as follows: I open the Verizon Cloud dashboard. I click ‘View my Verizon Cloud. I use Sign In to My Verizon to provide the following: User ID. Answer to secret question. Password. On the next page, I click ‘Services’, followed by ‘Online Essentials Management’. I get to Verizon Cloud 250 GB. I click on ‘Manage’. I get to a page headed ‘My Software’. I click on Launch Web App. I get to a page headed ‘Verizon Cloud’, More than just a backup. In the top right-hand corner of the page, I am asked to sign in or register AGAIN. On the same page, there is also an entry: “Already a Verizon Cloud user?" Manage your Content on the Web. When I click on that, I again got back to a page where I am asked to sign in, and am asked for a User ID or a Mobile Number (apparently, my Verizon Fios/Wifi/Landline account is being mixed up with my mobile account, which are quite distinct).

No matter how many times I repeat this sequence, I can never get to my Verizon Cloud folders – the Backups and the Sync Folders. Sometimes, I get stuck halfway through the sequence I just described by encountering the message: “No result defined for action com.vzw.cloud.web.rd.action.CloudRouter and result interceptor_failure”.

This is not just a nuisance, it is a serious matter. I have not used the Verizon backup facility for anything except backing up and syncing ‘legacy files and folders’ since the 2015. But these legacy files and folders are of crucial significance to me. Verizon has informed us repeatedly since the beginning of the year, that they were going to discontinue the Verizon Online Backup and Sharing program I have used since I came to the US, late 2012 or early 2013. All data contained in my old Verizon Online Backup and Sharing folders would be deleted.

So I downloaded/copied the relevant folders and files from my Verizon Online Backup and Sharing Account during the summer of 2016 (August), subscribed to the new Verizon Cloud program (backup and sync facilities), and backed up and synced the folders and files that I had downloaded from my old Verizon Online Backup and Sharing folders to the new Verizon Cloud backup facilities. Since September 2016 I have made dozens of calls to Verizon and to the entity taking care of the cloud. These are separate businesses. Verizon tells me the Cloud team has to fix my Cloud problem. The Cloud team tell me Verizon has to fix my website problem.

The sales reps on the phone and in stores are liars!!! Four of us on speaker heard and questioned repeatedly the Edge plan, and it was not even close to reality. Cost me $3,000 to buy out of old merchandise that was defective and more than new phones!!! Their whole approach is you signed a contract, but the bill does not come until well after, when you call and inquire of the total discrepancies, they say you are after the 14 day contract cancel - that still includes fees even if within - total liars! I heard supervisors in the background saying, “I'm not talking to her!”

Recently they told my son - who is not on the account as authorized, with his new iPhone upgrade came with a Samsung tablet for $30. He said really? They never, ever, ever told him that was monthly for the worst device imaginable! Verizon lies... Be guaranteed if you ask even a question, your whole family plan will be changed to horrifying, not asked for changes - full disclosure is never the truth! Don't sign!!!

Verizon treated me wonderfully, until I was under contract. Once under contract, and when my cell phone went haywire immediately after one of their MANDATORY UPDATES, Verizon sent me on a horrible run-around, blaming EVERYONE EXCEPT themselves, despite the update being THEIR required and unavoidable update! They refused any and all assistance except, finally, when I threatened to simply LEAVE for SPRINT -- without paying my bill -- they suddenly sent me a "good as new refurbished" Verizon cellphone.

As I have had NOTHING BUT CONTINUOUS TROUBLE WITH THESE JUNK "certified" telephones, I expected the worse, AND GOT IT! My "GOOD AS NEW REFURBISHED" cell phone did not function right, and STILL DOES NOT. Verizon, after approx. 4 hours of "press this, and dial that" BS with their technicians, and still NO RESULTS, has now told me that this is all they can and will do for me. SO MUCH FOR "BEING THE BEST PART OF VERIZON." AVOID THIS FIRM -- AND THEIR PRODUCTS LIKE THE PLAGUE THAT THEY ARE!!!

I live in a rural area. Mobile data has always been slow here, but workable. I recently changed from a Verizon limited GB plan to their "Unlimited" plan, bought at Best Buy. I pointedly asked the sales rep if my data speed would be throttled. She said my data would be switched to 3G if I used more than 20 GB in one month. It was a LIE. Since the plan change, my mobile data is slower than the old dial up days. Mobile hotspot is so slow it cannot load speed test! Verizon, and Best Buy, should be ashamed.

I was a longtime happy Verizon customer until I "upgraded" to a Samsung Galaxy J3V phone from Costco. Within 6 months, this phone repeatedly hangs up, freezes at the Samsung logo screen. At first I was told at Costco that if it happened a 3rd time, they would replace the phone. It did happen, I went in, to be told that: 1. This is perfectly normal behavior 2. They would NOT replace the phone 3. I must call their Customer Service. CS in essence said, "too bad", and gave me instructions on soft-booting the phone when this happens. CS said I must speak to Samsung! A COMPLETE RUN-AROUND!!! SO angry, frustrated and disappointed!

I have have been auto-paying my bill for a while now. Today, I logged into the My Verizon site to change my autopay options. After a little digging, I found that my $45/mo 2GB plan no longer exists and had been replaced with a $40/mo 3GB plan. I contacted Verizon customer service to inquire about getting reimbursed for my overpayment; they refused to assist, stating the burden is on me as the customer to keep track of their pricing changes. I did not receive any marketing information whatsoever indicating there was a change in pricing structure.

I changed my wireless plan to "Unlimited" thinking I would not have to worry about overages of data but lo and behold, the Verizon Wireless "Unlimited" plan is not unlimited at all! After using 10 GB of data on my computer (which is not hard to do when you use it to stream educational videos online) the speed switches to basically an unusable data stream. I was NEVER told about this limitation when I changed my plan in the Verizon Wireless store. The Verizon Wireless employees appeared so eager to get me to change to the plan but FAILED to tell me about this deal breaker. Not happy! These are blatantly deceptive practices. I am seriously considering canceling my account with Verizon Wireless over this.

I signed up for DSL internet through Verizon Wireless because that was literally the only choice I had at my new very rural residence. I paid $55 every month, never had a problem for a whole year. Then I had to move and called to cancel my contract, I call them and set up an internet cancellation day with no problem. I paid my last month, then I check my account and I have $30 for an "Equipment and Fee" charge. No due date is listed. I call Verizon and they tell me not to worry, not to pay, and wait till the next month where they will credit me $25 back, since I had already cancelled the subscription and I had to pay only for a few days. They said this charge was normal and not to worry. So basically, if I hadn't called and asked, or if I was on Auto pay and hadn't noticed, I would have paid $25 extra?

So anyways, I wait a month and see that I only need to pay $5. NO due date listed, and when I go to the "pay bill" section it lists $0 to pay. This was in May. I decide to wait with the bill (part of my own stupidity, should have paid instantly) and promptly forget about it. Come August and I get a letter from IC System collection agency saying that Verizon has turned me over to them, and that I have a debt of $5. I received NO notification from Verizon on my email, even though they had notified me before on email for my monthly internet bills. Literally they sold me to a collection agency for $5, while making no effort to set a bill due date or even notify me. Shows how much they care about their own customers - 5 bucks, really???

I recommend that if anyone has a choice other then Verizon then to take it. If you live in big cities then look for small "local" internet companies. In my experience they care way more about building reputation then being a money monster. DON'T go for company that will sell you for 5 bucks. If you don't have a choice like me then don't do Auto Pay, check your bills and question anything off, and pay instantly.

I use my phone for business as I work from home. For the last 6 month I have experience dropped call, people not hearing me or I not hearing others. I have called several times and each time they walk me through troubleshooting. One time tech support asked me to take into a store to replace the SIM card. Did that and still intermittent issue. Tonight is just the last straw. Customer service Chad was awful, liar. I am so done after 15 year as a good customer. What service provider should I switch to?

Me and my wife thought we were cashing in on a promotion back November 27th, 2016... We found out that's just not the case. She got iPhone 7 and I got gs7 edge. With the trade in of our gs5's, our payment was to be $4 and $8 for 24 months plus our monthly plan which was $200... Sounds simple enough... After umpteen calls and reps, here it is August 5, 2017, and I'm still paying $344. Been with them 7 years. So burnt out with this company... They promise to return your call, forget that also. Just found out today that our promotion was presented several times but the main office in New York rejected it because we didn't go online and ask for the promotion. So now I'm paying full price for the phones and they have my gs5's. Sad.

Smart Rewards is Dumb. This program is ending (finally) so I thought I'd go in to get rid of my 260,000 points. It's worse than a joke. It's a scam. I couldn't find a single product Verizon is selling MINUS so many hundreds or thousands of points that couldn't be bought cheaper... often much cheaper... than their price minus the points. Total rip. They take their customers for idiots.

I call customer service and requested removing a tablet and cell phone from my account. Instead of helping me remove the lines, Leslie kept putting me on hold and then kept coming back and telling me to add a new phone and keep the line open. After 25 minutes of this nonsense, I asked to speak with a supervisor, which she refused. I finally disconnected the call. I was very clear, I would pay the overages but I just wanted service terminated on 2 lines. She called me back 3 times, finally leaving me a message that because the call was disconnected she couldn't remove the lines. I spoke with a different rep, took less than 3 minutes for her to remove the lines.

I had good Verizon cell service and a few months ago, service in our area dropped to almost zero. I end up calling someone 3 or 4 times before I get them and when I do I never know when I will be cut off. Now they are putting up a cell tower right next to my property. GREAT, death by CANCER or BRAIN TUMOR. The cell companies are just like the tobacco companies. They know cell tower radiation will kill you. Multiple studies have proven it but in 1996 the comm. utilities had a big hand in crafting the telecommunications bill and they added a clause stating that health issues could not be cited as a reason to deny a cell tower placement.

They also paid A LOT OF CAMPAIGN MONEY to Clinton for his signature on that bill. The towers are now at power level 4G but I have heard they got approval from the FCC to raise that level to 5G. From what I have read, this level of radiation will eventually kill millions. But the FCC and the communication companies don't care. I have also heard that this "Smart Power Meters" are dangerous as well.

Do not trust the customer service rep at Verizon, or the sales people. The offers they make for trade ins will not be honored. Even though they record the conversations and know what you were offered --- they will not honor it. They screwed me over for $501.00!!! They promised me a trade in $552.00. They gave me $51.00. I have spent 5 months trying to resolve to no avail.

I have been a Verizon customer for over 25 year with home Phone, Wireless phone, cable and Internet. Recently (March) I had issues with my home phone and called Verizon who fixed it two weeks later. I had no service for two weeks and let the support folks know that, but I was credited $1 and change for just one day. They claim that because I called in and they took a day to fix the issue, they would only credit me for the one day.

I have been again with out service the entire month of June. I rarely use my home phone as I use my cell phone (Also thought Verizon) so I thought it was a waste of money to keep it going and because the service has been so bad. I canceled the service and explained that the phone had been out of service since the beginning of June and thought that was the end of it.

Today 8/2 Verizon decided to bill me for the ninth of June in the amount of $50.14. I called them back and they said that they would not credit me because they did not have a service ticket for the issue. I explained that I would not have opened a service ticket since I canceled the service. I spoke to a supervisor and was told that they would not issue any credit. It makes me so agree that they would treat a long term customer this way. I was about to put in Fios, but now will stop that and use Comcast who I really don't think is better, but their customer service is much better.

I bought a tablet at the Red Bluff store on Bell Mill Landing from a man by the name of James. I believe that he was the store manager. I was told that they were having a contest to see who could make the most sales and that they were on sale. I purchased one of the tablets, letting the salesman know that I did NOT want it added to my Verizon account. He said no problem and we proceeded with the sale. The only receipt I received for the bill was my credit card receipt like you get from any store. I did however have to sign on a electronic tablet for the purchase. I even joked with him about not knowing what I was signing and he said it was just for the cost of the tablet.

Well as you can probably guess... I am now in a 2 year contract, on my Verizon account, for line usage, insurance, and other fees, which will cost me well over an additional $200 for this tablet that is on sale. I am tricked! The tablet only retails for $145. Some deal! I called the store and the 800 number on my bill and neither one of the representatives said they can help me. So I am basically doomed to eat this obvious loss. Thinking about letting another company buy out my contract and switch. Warning: be very cautious when buying from Verizon and just skill the Bell Mill store completely to avoid excessive unwanted charges!

I have been a customer of Verizon for so many years, I can't count. I moved to Colorado Springs 4 years ago from Denver. When I moved, I had horrible service from Verizon. They did give me a booster and when that happened I had great service, but lately, I hardly get any service. My calls are dropped constantly, with no resolvement. Have complained to Customer service more times than I want to count, and the service has not changed. Dropped calls, constantly... I am out of contract right now and don't know what company I need to change to... All I know is that Verizon Wireless is not the company for me... I'm so tired of no service, even with the booster... Really disappointed!

We got a jet pack that allows you to run your laptop internet connection through Verizon. It came with a $50 rebate. All I ended up having to do was; Log into Verizon. Fill out a page worth of information including sku number from the box, some number that was called one thing but actually under a different name. This number was found buried in a document found in a link of one of the dozen or so emails I received when opening the account. All I had to do was search for 20 minutes to find it, download the doc and grab the number. Find one more number from where I forget. Only took five minutes this time. Take a picture of the back of the box and upload it to the rebate page along with a pic of my DL.

Fill out another form. Get a confirmation email that you have to click to link you to a page that gets Verizon to... Send you a debit card that you have to wait several weeks to receive and then Call the number and spend five minutes on the phone activating and listening to the sweet little disclaimers like "amounts debited must be equal to or less than $50." Which is a petty way of screwing you out of that last few dollars when you inevitably use it at a store or online and run down near $0. I have received several cash cards like this one that allow you to buy something more than the amount and it just credits you whatever the limit is like $50 toward a $60 purchase and $10 due. Surely not this card.

My experience is so infuriating that I pledge to find another company when I am ready for a new phone in a couple years and file Verizon into the lifetime ban category that I have never faltered from preserving. It took me a total of about an hour of my time to get this rebate. Verizon, if you want to keep your customers don't prey on their time like this in hopes to dissuade them of following through. It's better to have no rebate and a happy customer. Your customers primarily are middle class folk like myself who can afford the extra $50. If we were poor we would have any number of other phone services that cost half what Verizon does and deal with the slightly worse coverage.

We would rather not deal with a rebate at all except that when we find ourselves on minute 5 of completing the registration, we push on thinking we're almost there. Then by minute ten we are fully pissed and by minute 60 when we complete it, we have vowed to ban your company for life as soon as it makes sense aka time for a new phone. It's too late for me but hopefully others can be spared at least the rebate scam.

I am so mad. I was part of Verizon for 10 years and recently money is tight so I went from contract to switching to prepaid. I was told that I needed to pay for prepaid service and I did. On 07/23/17 I went to Walmart to buy a $40 pin card as that is what I was told by a Verizon employee on the phone since they no longer take payments over the phone. So I went to Walmart to buy my refill card and my phone was in the middle being ported from the contract side to prepaid. I not only lost my number from Verizon but a number I had for 10 stinking years.

The customer service is horrible and they made me lose out on my refill card. I went to Walmart on 08/2/17 and they said the card I bought is not redeemable. All I want is my money back. I still have the pin card and the receipt purchased 07/23/17. I called Verizon prepaid non stop and spoke to so many reps and managers. It saddens me that it seems to Verizon money is their key and customer service is no longer exist.

When I went to Verizon Wireless store on North Plake RD, Newburgh NY to upgrade my smart phone, I was pleased with how the wait was less than 10 minutes. The Rep who helped me was patient, kind and explained all my choices on the upgrade. He even tried to say define Verizon Company when I made a negative remark about Verizon wireless rules and regulations. He helped set up my Bluetooth in my car. He was very clear when explaining each and every phone from a iPhone 6 to iPhone 7. But what liked most about my Verizon Rep, He was patient with me and took everything at a normal pace. He explained everything in a gentle voice with a smile. I felt comfortable choosing the right phone for myself. His customer service behavior gets a B+ from me. I normally rate up to a B but this Rep did very good and I would go to him on any day for help or buying a phone.

So, I was trying Verizon pre-paid before I decide to switch from T-MOBILE. Well, I have only had the Verizon phone for about a week and this is what I have learned: Verizon does get a signal in places where T-MOBILE doesn't and the call quality may be a little better but customer service and data are suspect. Trying to get a real person to talk to you is hell. I called Verizon 5 times using 2 different numbers before I was able to get past their automated system. The automated system doesn't respond to pressing "0" or the words Customer service.

There is a huge difference in how your device counts your data usage and how Verizon counts your data. So, my device says I have only used 2.7gb of data and Verizon says I have used 10gb of data. That's just too big of a difference for me not to call foul. So, to be fair I looked at the difference in my device data and my T-MOBILE data and there was only a difference of about 1-2gb. So, I feel Verizon will totally screw you in your data usage because you don't know how they are counting your data.

I've been a Verizon customer since 2008!!! I bought a new phone in January 2017. It worked great for 2 months, but then all hell broke loose. I couldn't hear my customers. I went through countless hours of tech and advanced tech. I'm serious! They blamed it on everything was my fault. finally I swapped the phone in July but still terrible nightmare! I'VE LIVED IN SAME HOUSE SINCE 2008. HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS! Until now and my god they told me they downgraded my area to marginal coverage! WTF!!!! I switched to Cricket and I have over 500 customers in my phone and god as my witness I will put a dent in their profit margin! I've already got two customers to switch! I'm making it part of every conversation! I ask what service they have and then explain! Do the math over 500 customers 1=1000x500=potential 500000 loss can you hear me now???

I have been a loyal customer of Verizon for many years now. I have multiple lines under my account and I pay them a lot of money every month. Up until recently I've always been satisfied with their customer service. Until that is, I decided to try their Jetpack a few months ago. I had just moved and was needing internet in my home right away so I decided I'd try it since the slick talking sales guy told me it wouldn't be very much money out of pocket if I didn't like it. He said I could return it within 15 days and only be charged a restocking fee. So, I took it home and tested it out and decided I didn't like it because once you use up your data it starts to slow the internet speed down (and it doesn't take very long to use up your data).

I took the Jetpack back around 9 days later to the same guy because I didn't want to deal with someone new. He reluctantly accepted it back and he assured me he was going to waive the $40.00 activation fee. He also said he canceled it from my bill and I would see the $40.00 credit show up on my next bill. A month goes by and I get the new bill and not only did I have another monthly fee charge show up for the Jetpack but there was no $40 credit! And, apparently he signed 2 of my phones up for Total Mobile Protection, which I never gave him permission to do.

As a result, I went back to Verizon yesterday to straighten the matter out and I was able to talk to the same guy again. Only this time he informed me that the activation fee could only be waived if it was within 3 days of getting the Jetpack. And he might as well have called me a liar because he was emphatic that he never told me that. He said he was going to credit those other charges but I'm not holding my breath this time. His word means nothing to me!

I never used to have this problem at Verizon. But, it seems like this new breed of sales people they're hiring are either being pushed by Verizon to sell their products at any cost (even lying to their customers), or they are pushing themselves to make the sales at any cost to get more commissions. Whatever the case I will be checking my monthly bills a little more closely from now on. I would also suggest getting everything they tell you in writing and make them sign their name to it. I'm not sure if that would help or not but I bet they wouldn't be so eager to acknowledge their lies on paper. I hope this helps someone!

We used to pay one bill for Verizon Wireless and Verizon land lines. They recently changed so that one had to pay separate bills for wireless and land lines but they did a very bad job of implementing it. We sent a payment of over $243.00 to what we thought was Verizon Wireless but found ourselves shut off from our cell phone service, which caused big problems for the four users on their cell system. I tried to call my wife and I got a robot machine that said our service was cancelled due to non-payment. My wife also tried to call me at about the same time and got a machine that said service was cancelled. When she finally got a human they wouldn't talk to her even though they connected her to customer service as she is not the subscriber, I am.

My wife and I finally met each other at the supermarket I was at and we both were talking to Verizon. They said they had no record of the $243.00 payment and ultimately we had to give them another $243.00 over the phone to get reinstated. Now we don't know what happened to the first $243.00 payment and of course that stressed our bank account. One hand doesn't know what the other is or does at Verizon land line and wireless even though they are the same company. And even though we have been customers for almost forty years they don't seem to care. We are evaluating a move to another carrier. This was a very badly implemented situation where they separated billing for land lines and cell phone service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.
  • Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.
  • Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.
  • Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.
  • Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.
  • Best for Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Compare Prepaid Phones