Verizon Wireless
3.13/5
Based on 3,543 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Verizon Wireless

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Verizon Wireless Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: June 29, 2019

Usually dealing with the call center reps for mobile network carriers is a nightmare. Either you are speaking to someone with a very heavy accent and the language barriers between you and the agent are so frustrating you end up hanging up and calling back to get a new representative, or you talk to some snooty chick who acts like she has no reason to try and help you out in the slightest and how dare you ask for your bill to be reduced and you literally hear rolling her eyes at ever question you ask. Well, not with Verizon.!!!

I switched from Cricket Wireless which I subscribed to for the last five years over to Verizon about two months ago. Cricket's customer service department was entirely made up of extremely rude ** who disdainfully tell you that if you are unhappy with your bill or service, that you can leave and no longer be a customer but that no matter what they will not ever give you a discount or refund the BS fees that should not have been assessed to your account in the first place. Verizon is over three times as expensive per month but my goodness is it worth it. Not only are the wireless and cellular network services so much faster than any other carrier I have used, but the call center guys are the nicest and most helpful people I've ever had to deal with!

They broke down my issue for me, walked me thru it step by step even though it was uncomplicated and probably would take most people 2 minutes to get they it he stayed on with my for 42 minutes, taking tons of time with me to help me understand and answered all my stupid questions. He then helped me cut down on some services I was paying for which I didn't really want or need, and then set up a payment arrangement and waived the payment fee for me since it was going to add more to my balance owed than how much he had cut off my bill in the first place. I love Verizon and I will never switch again no matter how ridiculously expensive it gets. It's actually worth the money, like for real. :)

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 8, 2019

I had been with another carrier for 12 years. The signal was fine at my house in North Carolina but I got practically no signal when I'd travel to Georgia where most of my family lives. I have my elderly father on my cellphone plan and we'd both decided to do away with our landlines and use our cellphones exclusively. I went to my carrier to update the phones and that's when the problems began. First I had to wait for 45 minutes before someone would help me. Then when it came to trading in the phones for new ones, they told me basically they don't give you anything for your old phones. The phones were iPhone 7s phones. My bill was going to be even higher, over $200, and they basically acted like they didn't care if I stayed with them or not. I've never paid a bill late in the entire 12 years I've been with them.

After asking them several times if they could do better I decided to go to the Verizon store across the street. I was greeted at the door by a CSR. They listened to my needs and within 30 mins. I had two new iPhone XR's, an unlimited plan for both, and they credited me for the phones I traded in. Plus, since my dad is a veteran I also got $30 off my monthly bill. I bought these phones during their "Dads and Grads" special so one of the phones was free. The signal is great on both of them and I'm very happy. They set up and activated both phones for me and showed me how to use them. I'm also paying $60 a month less than I did at my old carrier. If I sign up for autopay it will be an additional $10 off the bill. I bought these at the Shelby, NC store and I couldn't have asked for more. They were all very nice and very helpful.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I called Verizon Wireless because, I ported my number on 4/30/19 and now on 4/6/19 my phone was no longer making or accepting calls saying my port didn't go thru. Kierra was my customer service representative, She was Polite and knew exactly how to help me. She called Walmart Family Mobile to assist in the port. The Walmart Family Mobile representative who answered didn't speak English clearly and proceeded to tell me that my number was deactivated and I needed to reactivate my old phone to port the number. Kierra asked him a question about network speed, he was confused, she asked him if he was from the porting department and he replied with no. She asked to please be transferred to the correct department. The porting department answered and Kierra explained the situation and got my number ported over quickly.

I switched to Verizon because I moved to a place where I had NO service at all. I am paying about $30.00 more for service now but, at least when I call for assistance I know that they will be happy to assist me in English so I can fully understand and are going to look out for my best interest. Thank You Verizon Wireless for hiring such a wonderful person such as Kierra. She not only helped me but she prevented Walmart Family Mobile from giving me the runaround and taking my money. Nicole

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been with a competing wireless carrier for 10 years. I had many issues with that carrier but I stayed with them out of loyalty (my son worked for them). I had trouble getting a signal in my own home and no signal in our little cabin in the woods. Every time I called customer service this carrier promised me that new towers were being built as we spoke. They said in 6 months "you will get a signal with no problem." They told me the same story for years! About six months ago I called once again for the same reason. They have me the spiel of new towers and I got very upset. The customer service agent was short with me and I got more upset. I called right back and talked to a different person who said he would send me a "booster." He took all my information, told me it would be 8 to 10 days to get here. Long story short (ha) it never came and there is no such "booster" that they send to people to get a signal. This company lies consistently.

I finally realized that I had been a fool to stay so long with this other company. I researched my options and chose Verizon to switch to. What a pleasant surprise. After getting my new phone, the Verizon store was eager to help me get set up. The salesperson has called me a few times to be sure I was getting everything I expected from my new phone and carrier. The reception is amazing everywhere. I have not had one issue in three months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

It’s been over a month of dealing with endless tech problems and issues around not being able to send SMS messages or being able to reliably call out from my residence. When I have been able to call out which takes 7-8 tries and usually having to restart my phone, the call quality is awful and usually eventually drops out. I can’t carry on a phone conversation without it dropping 3-4 times. FRUSTRATING! I have had several online chat sessions with Verizon tech support. The last one, they assured me that my phone insurance would cover my phone’s tech problems and a replacement phone would be sent to me the next day.

The next day comes & goes and NO PHONE DELIVERED. So, I called the phone insurance company to see what is going on. They tell me that my phone is not covered for technical malfunctions, completely contradicting what I was told by the Verizon tech support guy. I-HAVE-HAD-ENOUGH!!! So simple solution, today I signed up with AT&T. Through union plus I got my activation waived ($30 saved) and instead of paying $95/month with Verizon, I’ll only have to pay $54/month (includes at 15% union discount)! So VERIZON you can take your expensive CRAPPY service and SHOVE IT!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My mom bought a prepaid Verizon phone. We had the worst time getting it activated. Verizon kept saying it wasn’t scanned at the store even though she had her receipt where she purchased the phone. After numerous attempts Verizon finally activated the phone. Several months later my mom decided she would get some minutes and use the phone herself. She originally bought the phone for someone else. Well guess what? Verizon wouldn’t activate the phone because they said it wasn’t scanned properly at the store. I tried to explain this over and over and the moron I was on the phone with was either too lazy or didn’t know what she was talking about so my mom is out the money she paid for this phone and minutes and Verizon basically said oh well.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

After spending 15+ hours on the phone getting them to correct my orders over the last week, I’m now sitting in a Verizon corporate store on hold on two different lines listening to the same crappy song over and over again. My daughter will be without a phone for a week because my old service was shut off by Verizon prematurely. Even with all this bs, they still want to charge a $50 restocking fee to cancel and return. Wish I could charge them by the hour.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Over the years I've had Verizon and it has always been too expensive and overpriced. Come to find out they expect a customer to call in so they can remind you of what was in the agreement you signed. They do not reach out to you to keep you as a customer or to offer a better deal to keep the customer. That being said I switched to a different carrier 5 days into my billing cycle and billed me for the entire billing cycle and didn't even consider to prorate it. Called customer service and spoke to supervisor and would do nothing to work with me but also agreed that lack of effort by Verizon to reach out to keep the customer was piss poor on their part. DO NOT get Verizon! They will take your money in every possible way.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

There is a mistake in my bill I need to explain to billing department. I went to Verizon store, tried to chat, called several times. Store says we cannot do anything regarding billing. Rep is not available for chat; No one answers the phone after over 20 times try every day for several days over 25 minutes each time. Consumers must know that although Verizon's phone and data services are good, the company's customer service availability to answer client's concerns is way below expectations even compared to a very small regular company with no reputation.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

• Best for: Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs