3.0/5 (945 ratings)

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

Pros

• 5G available in some areas
  • Discounts on multiple lines
  • Mix & match unlimited plans
  • Parental control app

Cons

• Prices are higher for fewer lines
  • 5G not available in all areas

Bottom Line

Verizon offers a wide range of cellular service plans for customers who use their devices in different ways. Though prices might be higher than other providers, the level of service and extra features make Verizon stand out.

Top Verizon Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The manager David, at the Delmont PA - Verizon Wireless store, is awesome. I had an issue and he went above and beyond to resolve my problem… I have never had a service provided b...

Verified

I get excellent coverage here where others with other companies are not so fortunate. Prices are competitive and the selection of phones is excellent. I have had Verizon for 7 yea...

What is Verizon Unlimited?

Verizon is a cellular service provider based in the United States. Verizon Unlimited plans offer five levels of service that you can mix and match. All Unlimited plans include coverage in Mexico and Canada and have no roaming charges in the U.S. Verizon Unlimited’s five plans are:

• Start Unlimited works on 4G and includes talk, text and data. It includes 480p video streaming.
  • Play More Unlimited includes 5G access (for compatible phones) and is suitable for music and video streaming. The plan comes with 25 GB of premium data, unlimited mobile hotspot use and HD video streaming.
  • Do More Unlimited includes premium data and has 5G access, 50 GB of mobile hotspot use and 500 GB of cloud storage.
  • Get More Unlimited works on 5G and includes HD video streaming, 75 GB of premium data and unlimited mobile hotspots with 30 GB.
  • Just Kids Unlimited can be added to any other unlimited plan. It comes with 5 GB of data, unlimited talk and text to 20 contacts, 480p video streaming, safety mode, content filters and location tracking.

All of Verizon Unlimited’s plans include a free six-month subscription to Apple Music and a one-year subscription to Disney Plus.

How does Verizon smart family work?

Verizon Smart Family is a companion app that gives you parental controls to help manage your kids’ smartphone use. You can add the service to eligible Verizon accounts, including unlimited plans. Just Kids Unlimited comes with Smart Family. You can use an app on your device to:

• Filter content
  • Monitor and limit calls, texts and purchases
  • Monitor internet use
  • Pause internet access
  • Track another device’s location

Content filters with Smart Family let you block websites and apps by category or manually block specific sites. You can also control the filters for specific family members. For texts and calls, Smart Family lets you see and monitor incoming and outgoing activity, but you can’t read texts or listen to calls.

Smart Family also creates a graph that shows your child’s online activity and website use. You can set time restrictions and limits for purchases billed directly to your Verizon account via carrier billing.

Verizon family plan prices

Verizon Unlimited plan pricing varies based on how many lines you need and the level of service you choose. Start Unlimited for four lines is $35 per month per line. Two lines of Start Unlimited costs $60 per month per line.

Play More Unlimited and Do More Unlimited are both $45 for four lines; Get More is $55 for four lines. Add Just Kids to any unlimited line for $35. All plans incur additional taxes and fees.

Verizon Wireless FAQ

Can I use Verizon Wireless for home internet?
Verizon offers Fios home internet plans in some areas. You can also use your Verizon mobile hotspot to connect to the internet at home, but hotspot data is limited.
Is Verizon Wireless the best carrier?
Whether Verizon Wireless is the best carrier for you depends on your needs and budget. The company offers flexibility in plans, 5G coverage in some areas (with more added regularly) and reliability. Features include Disney Plus and Apple Music. Customer service is available 24/7.
Is Verizon home Internet unlimited?
Verizon Fios home internet plans come in three data speeds with no limits on usage.
Does Verizon have 24/7 customer service?
Verizon customer service is available 24/7.

Is Verizon Unlimited worth it?

For customers who are looking for a wireless provider with multiple plans and customizable family options, Verizon Wireless is definitely an option to consider. Its Just Kids Unlimited add-on makes it appealing to parents, and, with high data usage options, it’s an ideal choice for large families or avid internet users.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I called into Verizon today literally in tears over my bill! I asked for management immediately as I had called several times about my issue in the past to no avail. I spoke with Shantelle. She listened to me cry as I explained my situation. Before anything else she made sure I was ok and spoke to me in calm voice. Once I was ok she went on to address my issues. So many times she assured me it would be ok. She took care of every single issue and even a few I myself didn't see! I truly felt cared about by the end of our conversation. She definitely changed my feelings. I didn't feel like just a phone number. She acknowledged I was a person. Maybe to some that may seem silly but these days it's hard to find people that like their jobs and care the way she did. I praise her management skills and feel like she should be recognized. Thank you so much!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Been a customer with Verizon over ten years. Have never had a bad experience with any representative. Always professional and caring. Prior to coming to Verizon I had Sprint and AT&T customer service was rude and demeaning. Ten years and not one single incident of unacceptable customer service from Verizon. Always willing to assist the customer in a professional manner no matter the circumstance.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

This morning I had the pleasure of speaking with Mark ** from Greenville, SC. Initially the purpose of my call to Verizon was to retrieve a return label but I had explained to Mark that I've been very unhappy with Verizon for weeks due to many reasons. He took his time reviewing my account in detail. He was very informative, helpful, pleasant, and understanding of my frustrations. He repaired all the knots on my account and assured he would follow up to make sure everything would fall in place seamlessly. I wish all the Verizon representatives were as knowledgeable, professional, and enjoyable to deal with as him.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I Live in Florida and was visiting in Georgia. I visited The Verizon store off of peach tree Industrial Boulevard in Chamblee. I always hate going to Verizon because I have never had good, helpful experiences. However I spoke with Omar and he provided solutions that were extremely helpful and affordable. He truly made this trip wonderful and not stressed. This is the first time I have ever been happy with a Verizon experience.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

My husband and I were surprisingly pleased with our service at the Verizon sales store in Asheville. We were disappointed that we couldn't get a lower price for the iPhone we needed to purchase since we've had an account with Verizon for many years. Matt ** questioned why we wanted a very high end phone for our uses. After talking with him, we opted for a lower priced phone, at his recommendation. I thought it was very nice of him to guide us to a lower price that meets all our needs. He was also very patient setting up the phone for two senior citizens.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I started off by trying to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon because the Verizon has better service in my area due to friends and colleagues experiences. It is quite a bit more expensive but I decided that price would be worth it due to using my phone for work. They said they would send me a sim card in the mail. I never received the sim card. After multiple attempts at contacting them they finally sent me a letter from a collections agency. Claiming I owe them money even though they have not provided me with a service and giving me a gigantic headache in the process. Will be telling all of my friends, family, and bad reviews on any site that I can write one on. Verizon is a scam and doesn't care about their consumers.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I traded in three phones for their promotion to get $580 off a new phone via a credit to my statement of $24.17 per month. Only two of the lines received the promotion and the third line only received a promotion of $4.17 per month ($100). Difficult to speak to a live person so I tried the chat the first time. They confirmed in writing that I was supposed to have the promotion and would fix it. Not fixed. Called the next time and it took over 2 hours but they said resolved and wait for the next statement. I am now on my 4th call and at first they say the credit was denied. Then they said there was a mix-up and they have finally corrected the issue. Wait 1-2 billing cycles. Won't hold my breath.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I've been dealing with poor reception for years. I guess it's better than no service. I've been on Playmore Unlimited for a long time. I live 15 miles from the tower. I live in the desert Southwest, my residence is at a significant higher elevation than the Verizon tower, no obstructions between us just a desert valley, not in a city or town so it's not congested at all. Yet I have great reception 1 week out of 3 months. I truly believe they throttle the strength as well data. The good week my phone will be 4 bars streaming like a champ, then the rest of the time 1 bar and buffering. Phone upgrades help for a month and then your throttled down. The other companies are too weak out here. They claim to be the best but I think the customers should have a say.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I've been a Verizon customer for many years. Recently I switched over to a pre-paid plan at the store rep's recommendation. Puts you in a whole new world of misery. Seldom am I able to reach a customer service rep with a problem, and when I am able to, they can't help me solve the problem, and I get disconnected somehow. They never call me back. Usually I just get routed around with their automated system, which hangs up on me if I am not able to solve my problem within their parameters.

The store rep told me that my new pre-paid plan had "unlimited" data. I use a mobile hotspot for work. My mobile hotspot usage is limited to 10 gig - so, not "unlimited". I can't access my account to determine where I am at on my hotspot data usage, because I have "unlimited" data usage. So every month I have to wait for my data usage to crash, and then try to get an add-on for data usage for the remainder of the month, IF I can get a live customer service rep on the phone to help me. What a joke. I'm currently shopping for a new cell phone company.

Original review: June 11, 2021

It appears that Verizon Wireless has become too big for their britches. The national customer service department is a total mess; the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing anymore. They promised me a three-month credit due to poor network coverage that I had experienced for a period of three months, and when the credit was never applied, they used the excuse that they could not find any record of the approval by the supervisor who approved it. Sad, very sad!! After 15 years with Verizon, fell compelled to switch to another cellphone service provider, which I did in a hurry!!

Verizon Wireless Company Information