3.31/5
Based on 3,741 ratings submitted in the last year

5920 Verizon Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 6, 2019

I called Verizon Wireless because, I ported my number on 4/30/19 and now on 4/6/19 my phone was no longer making or accepting calls saying my port didn't go thru. Kierra was my customer service representative, She was Polite and knew exactly how to help me. She called Walmart Family Mobile to assist in the port. The Walmart Family Mobile representative who answered didn't speak English clearly and proceeded to tell me that my number was deactivated and I needed to reactivate my old phone to port the number. Kierra asked him a question about network speed, he was confused, she asked him if he was from the porting department and he replied with no. She asked to please be transferred to the correct department. The porting department answered and Kierra explained the situation and got my number ported over quickly.

I switched to Verizon because I moved to a place where I had NO service at all. I am paying about $30.00 more for service now but, at least when I call for assistance I know that they will be happy to assist me in English so I can fully understand and are going to look out for my best interest. Thank You Verizon Wireless for hiring such a wonderful person such as Kierra. She not only helped me but she prevented Walmart Family Mobile from giving me the runaround and taking my money. Nicole

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been with a competing wireless carrier for 10 years. I had many issues with that carrier but I stayed with them out of loyalty (my son worked for them). I had trouble getting a signal in my own home and no signal in our little cabin in the woods. Every time I called customer service this carrier promised me that new towers were being built as we spoke. They said in 6 months "you will get a signal with no problem." They told me the same story for years! About six months ago I called once again for the same reason. They have me the spiel of new towers and I got very upset. The customer service agent was short with me and I got more upset. I called right back and talked to a different person who said he would send me a "booster." He took all my information, told me it would be 8 to 10 days to get here. Long story short (ha) it never came and there is no such "booster" that they send to people to get a signal. This company lies consistently.

I finally realized that I had been a fool to stay so long with this other company. I researched my options and chose Verizon to switch to. What a pleasant surprise. After getting my new phone, the Verizon store was eager to help me get set up. The salesperson has called me a few times to be sure I was getting everything I expected from my new phone and carrier. The reception is amazing everywhere. I have not had one issue in three months.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I called on Black Friday to order a Samsung N9. After roughly 45 minutes on hold (which I do not feel is so bad for a Black Friday) I got connected to Ayana, who greeted me with a smile in her voice. The realistic and supportive attitude that carried throughout the conversation was uplifting. I had many questions regarding the new phone, the deal that was currently being offered, the absurdity of certain Verizon policies... For example; I have been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for 15 years, in the early time at the end of a contract we used to get a $100 credit toward an upgraded device for renewing or establishing a new contract. Throughout the years that credit has gone to a complete inverse, currently settling at a $30 upgrade fee.

Now the way that Verizon explains this is: when financing a phone without interest, they ask for $30 as something of a convenience fee... However they charge this fee whether or not you pay in full or finance a new device. There is no consideration for the fact that they are gaining your loyalty for another 2 year contract! Ultimately, I still feel that Verizon as a company has completely dropped the ball on customer loyalty. Thank goodness for Ayana, if it was not for her compassion, and consistency with me throughout the call (which actually got disconnected on her end at one point) I would have happily taken my service to another cellular carrier.

All-in-all I believe that Verizon has done us all a service by hiring someone as bright and open as Ayana. As for my experience of the company at large, I still feel like my loyalty is a one-way street and that I am yet to be shown how Verizon Wireless takes accountability for their side of this relationship. Thank you so much Ayana!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I don't bother to listen to other negative complaints and honestly I think it depends on where you live but I have been missing out all of these years I switched from AT&T to Cricket and now to Verizon. And I'm so glad I did because I purchased a new home and AT&T sucks for me. They refuse to provide a signal and will not build towers. I called the Verizon store in my city with questions and Blake ** was awesome. He give me his personal number so I could stay in touch with him and we set up an appointment later that day.

When I got there he was with another customer and informed me that he would be right with me and it did not take him long at once we greeted I told him I had an S9+ with AT&T that had been unlocked. He tried everything he could to make the phone work on their network but it just would not work. It was out of his control but he was extremely professional and very nice at trying to help. So I left the store and later that day when I got home I tried looking up reviews on it myself to see if it was compatible. I couldnt find anything on it so I went to the Verizon website and they have an online tool so when I put my IMEI number in it told me it was incompatible with their network so I thought to try another AT&T phone that I had the Galaxy Note 8.

I put that IMEI number in the online tool to check and it was successful. So the next day I went back into the store. I did not set up an appointment but I did stay in touch with Blake and I told him what may be the problem and he was very understanding and hated that it was incompatible. So when I went into the store this time I was greeted by John ** who was also very nice and professional. I told him I had talked to Blake and the problem I had previously and that I just wanted to try and get the Note 8 to work on the their network. He was very helpful. We ran into issues but he tried everything possible to take care of me.

He finally reached out to his advanced technical team because although it showed it was compatible it still would not show service on the phone. So after talking to the technical team they sent him an email on the procedures to take to get it to work. John informed me of those procedures and I was already familiar with them but it would require me to hook the phone into a computer. I was ok with that. He printed off the procedures and give it to me and told me to contact him after I was done and he would finalize the porting process over the phone whenever I was ready to just call him later that day and if it still did not work to just let him know and we could go from there.

Well later that day I called him back because that fixed the issue and I was so thankful. He was also very relieved so he ported my numbers over. I thanked him for all of his hard work and Im very appreciative of both of these professional young men. The service quality is excellent. I have never had services that have been this excellent. They may be a little more expensive but it's worth it. I have received services everywhere I have traveled so far even to my new home when I did not have a signal with my current provider and I only receive 2 bars with Verizon and I was worried about that at first. So I reached out to John about it and he said bars on Verizon doesnt matter how is the call quality and let me tell you he was so right.

I could hear him extremely well although it was only 1 to 2 bars. It wasnt in and out and could barely hear him like it is on AT&T where you have little to no coverage. It was like we were in the same room. I also tried the mobile internet and it was almost instantaneous. WOW. Way to go Verizon on customer service and treating your customers like we deserve to be treated. Now I know exactly why you are rated #1. You go out of your way to meet customers needs and the services are unmatched.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I've been with Verizon for years and about a year ago started getting drop calls incoming and outgoing about 30 seconds into call. Worked with tech support for over 3 hours and said it was my phone. I assured them that all my family and friends were having same problem and not my phone, but they wouldn't accept the answer, so I dropped Verizon and got a $9.95 Straight Talk phone from Walmart and used Verizon's network, still same problem, new phone, but same network. After calling tech back, he wanted me to continue to test with them. Advised him I retired from ATT as a cell phone tech and was making $35 an hr when I retired, and I had already test with them 3 hours and felt they owed me over $100 already. Told them to dispatch a tech to fix (their) problem.

Took Straight Talk back to Walmart, got an ATT no contract phone and used it 4 months, but didn't get as good coverage as with Verizon, so went back and got a Verizon phone, not had any trouble after that. My brother told me his dropped calls quit about a month after I had went to ATT, so evidently Verizon fixed problem in my area while I was on ATT. Let me add, the tower that Verizon thought I was using from my home wasn't the one I was hitting, they sent a signal (ping) to the tower I was actually using, it was 4 miles south of the tower that Verizon techs assumed I was using.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: May 22, 2019

My cable boxes were malfunctioning and I called for service. Now they are charging me for the service visit and they refuse to waive the $99 charge to replace their broken equipment. Even though the repairman informed me there would be no charge.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have tried for almost 3 months to get a refund on a closed account. Chatted with support on 3/2/19, told the check would go out 4/2, verified mailing address. Called again 4/9 to verify check was issued, verified my mailing address, told the check did not go out 4/2, that it would go out 5/2, So it is no 5/20 and the refund check has not been issued and I have now been transferred to 4 different people and none of them can assist me!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Verizon it appears sells numbers to SPAM and Telemarketers when a new or transfer customer joins this network. Eleven years with T-Mobile and never once did I get unwanted calls, text etc. Now I'm with Verizon since February of this year, nothing but SPAM and telemarketers. The monthly fee is far greater than T-Mobile. The only good thing about this company is that service is good in some far away, tight places or deep within a sub basement of a hospital. Maybe the FCC should look into the practice of this company selling numbers to outside companies once issued. If I knew then what I know now, I'd stayed with T-Mobile. T. **, Bristol Tennessee.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Poor etiquette all around. I have been a Verizon customer for many many years including Fios. Not extremely happy about the pricing but have gotten them to adjust pricing to make it feasible. I recently had an incident with customer service about my bill. Verizon decided to change my due date a year or so ago without an opportunity to fight it. It was being changed. PERIOD... End of story. I called advising I cannot make payment on that date. I am disabled military and get a check once a month. Customer service said, "That’s ok. Just try to make a double payment and you’ll always be ahead." Uhmmm I believe I just told him I couldn’t do that because of how I get paid by the military. Called several times, one late fee waived but no compromise to the due date.

I talk to customer service yesterday to be told he doesn’t care about my military ranking or that I made a promise to pay. He shut my phone down. I have an enormous amount of data that continues to roll over that is ALREADY paid for! So rolling over data means nothing, you lose it either way. I made my payment and they still have not turned my phones back on. I will be leaving Verizon and never to return, not even for Fios. Customer service stated they don’t care if they lose my service, so it will be lost. Management needs to school their employees on customer etiquette. I’m not asking for special service because I’m a disabled veteran; I would think they would have respect for someone who fought two wars for this country.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I shifted from T-Mobile to Verizon. OMG such a waste of time In Verizon.The sales told me there is no charges on equipment .Now charges comes up on the account. We have 2 Lines and he told us the bills will be around $270 and we agree. Now the first bill I received is $454 and now I received another bill of $649. I asked the store, "What's this?" He says, "I don't know. You have to call customer care". OMG. Are you serious? The phone numbers are disconnected now after 45 days and when I called them only thing I heard is, "Make the Payment". I don't think any professional attitudes with you guys. Sorry those kind of service still exist. Harassment, improper product knowledge, worse attitude, and lack of common courtesy to listen. I am here writing this as I was working with telecom for 8 years 10 years back, I have never encountered these stuffs. Sorry Verizon!!! I feel pity for you.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Verizon’s customer service reps are now outright lying to customers about all sorts of things. They do not care about customers. And they cannot be trusted to do what they promise. In my case, they offered a no-strings-attached discount to keep me as customer, which Rep lied and Verizon did not honor. Then charged me $185 termination fee when I switched to Comcast. Details follow.

I was a customer of VZW for many years. I called them to let them know I was switching to Comcast, due to much better rates. The customer service person offered to reduce my bill by 20% to entice me to stay with them. I agreed to give it a try. After a couple of months, I decided to go ahead and switch to Comcast, due to the compelling savings over Verizon they are offering. A week later, I get a bill from Verizon for $180, for early termination fees! There was no early termination of any sort; I owned my phone, and I had no contract. When I called them about it, I got a huge runaround. After many phone calls, transfers to other departments, hang-ups, etc, I went to a Verizon store. After much effort, the people at the store got to the bottom of it.

Verizon was charging me an early termination fee because of the (fake) 20% price reduction they had given me. They claimed that it came with a 12 month contract. They did not state anything about a contract at time of discount. In fact, I had asked at time of offer if there were any sort of strings attached to the offer, and was told a definite NO! I would not have locked myself into a contract, since I was considering switching.

If you are considering doing business with Verizon, don’t. You’ll be sorry. Much better pricing at Comcast. Better customer service. And they use the Verizon network - exact same towers, etc. Best of all, our phone bill went from over $100 per month for two phones at Verizon, to $12 per month for two phones at Comcast. STAY AWAY FROM VERIZON! If there were a zero rating, I would use it.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I just had the WORST experience with Verizon's fraud department, and I mean WORST. I have been with Verizon since the first cell phones were introduced into the market (yes that makes me old) and I currently have five members of my family on a Verizon plan. My bill is $450/mo and has been for years. I just returned from a business trip and found a FedEx package with 6 phones on my doorstep, brand new iPhone Xs. Clearly a huge order that I did not order. As a courtesy I called the Verizon fraud department, this is what happened:

1. The rep only cared about his phones, could not care less about me. 2. He told me to bring them to a local store and they would ship them back for free (how generous!). 3. I asked how these phones could be ordered in my name, his response was it's fraud. 4. I asked for more information about how the phones were ordered, he was clueless and borderline rude. 5. He said somebody filled out an Application in my name, I asked for help finding out how someone knew about me, social security number, account, pass codes, etc.

6. His answer was send in a Subpoena to law department. This is laughable. 7. He was NOT helpful in any way whatsoever. A complete jerk to be honest and not a very smart one at that. 8. I asked for a supervisor, I have now been on hold for 50 minutes and nobody will pick up. It is unreal how Verizon only cared about getting their phones back, not a care in the world about me their customer. Really pathetic. Michael **

Original review: May 16, 2019

Your representatives are trained improperly, and have trouble answering simple questions.. They can't seem to grasp the concept of actually resolving the issue at hand, or giving a resolution to the issues/ question.. My representative just kept repeating my questions back to me like that was actually a dignified answer.. His training clearly wasn't soaked up by his brain or your trainers need to be more consistent in actually teaching your employees. If an employee can not seem to give a valid correct educated response he should reach out to someone who has the brains to do so or just inform the customer he does not know the correct response/answer instead of beating around the bush and acting like repeating your questions/concerns repeatedly is a helpful solution.

There was zero benefits from having the conversation with your employee about my bill. Just a lot of Repetition and your employee not know how to properly answer any question at hand. He clearly was unsure of how to utilize the proper resources the find the answer to any of my questions or he just didn't feel the need or want to do so.. Either way my expectations are not set very high when it comes to your company or your employees.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Verizon and Samsung together pushed out an update that knocked my phone into a frenzy. I lost apps, break up and calls and issues with Wi-Fi, texting and calling. I tried for 3 weeks to have someone at Verizon and even Samsung take care of the situation and all I got was repetitive comments that if you pay off the phone we could see what we could do. Verizon pushed out an app and they want me to pay them to have working service. They should make good on this problem. I will be looking at a another service provider with better customer support. Hopefully better customer support and guidelines.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I won't go into extensive details, but a few years ago they canceled my plan, leaving me without internet. I canceled my service. Then my grandmother was being charged over $180 for phone and internet every month, now she's paying $60; hint, it's not through Verizon. Absolutely one of the worst companies I've ever had the displeasure of doing business with. Highly not recommended.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been using Verizon only 2 months for my phone. I have unlimited data with my wife, they promised it would cost us 156$. First month they sent 170$ bill, it was my fault because I forgot to set auto pay option on bank account. Next month they sent second bill 191$. What?? I used 4 years ATT before Verizon, my mistake was I listened my friend and change my provider. My home is located at 75244, one story house, internet speed is under 1Mbps for 4g. This company is joke. Everyday I'm taking green line train for going to my work (at downtown), video conference call stops to work at least 4 times. Verizon coverage map is just lie, company is cheater. I deceived me for 2 Samsung S10+ for 1250$, who cares?? I will pay them ** it $750 more to cancel the service with them. They are just cheaters. By the way ATT also started to fracture its bills but service was good. Not sure about T-Mobile yet.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I’ve always heard Verizon was the best but, not so much. 12 hrs of my life in turmoil. Bought two new phones and wanted to add two. They created three separate accounts. Which I was told was impossible with an attitude. Then everyone was baffled about who could handle this. Call Verizon, no go into a location. Was supposed to be a mother’s day gift, but my wife ended up spending mother’s day in Verizon dealing with this huge mess. After I spend two separate days trying to resolve the issue. I sure hope the service is worth all the time I’ve wasted, as well as my wife’s Mother’s Day.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Verizon stole our iPhones. They never sent us money for them. We had the confirmation. They received the phones and they never paid us. They also said they would pay our last bill from T-mobile and they never did that either. They can come after you for not paying for your phone but they will steal the phones from customers. Sell your own phone. Don't give it to them.... and they LIE about everything.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We purchased two identical iPhones with Verizon together with their pre-paid SIM card. According to our agreement, the phones were supposed to unlock automatically after 12 months. One of them did and the other one didn't. We reached out to their support several times only and after hours on the phone they simply will not do anything. First they told us that they do not lock phones, then they told us it was Apple's fault and finally they acknowledged that the phone is locked to carrier and should have unlocked it but that they are not able to do it.

In the end we have spent hours on hold with Verizon and went twice to Apple, that of course cannot do anything because it is locked by the carrier. Most recently, Verizon technical support was supposed to call us back to figure it out with Apple but simply didn't. This is in violation of our agreement with Verizon but they are simply ignoring us and I find it outrageous that they can get away with this kind of behavior.

Original review: May 11, 2019

When joining Verizon Prepaid they mistakenly overcharged me due their negligence and then “returned” the amount as credit on my account. After a month I left Verizon prepaid because of poor service and they forfeited the credit on my account. Overall, they chose to keep the money that they mistakenly overcharged me with. Not much different than a common thief.

Original review: May 11, 2019

After buying a Hum device for roadside assistance (something Verizon set me up with) I found out that I already had roadside assistance through my car insurance. So I took it back the very same day and canceled it. On my bill they charged me a crazy amount! For both the device and all of the different fees that came with it. I called Verizon and they said I would getting my money back, but not until my next bill was due. In other words she said my next bill would be significantly lower than what I usually pay because I would be getting $60 taken off my normal bill. My next bill came around and it was higher than what I normally pay. So Verizon kept what they stole and charged me more than normal the following month. I'm definitely going to be paying for my phone outright and dropping Verizon. Here is an example - normal bill=$80, mischarged bill=$145, following bill=$100 ???

Original review: May 10, 2019

Making the choice can be difficult but in my case not so much, I have switch from Cox to Verizon! As a what should’ve been lifetime Cox customer with nothing but poor service and being ripped off ** (assistant manager) and ** (technician) made it a flawless transition for getting my needs met. Cox technician drilled into in the furthest part of my 1800sq ft brick ranch home leaving me exposed to water damage by not sealing the hole and restricting WiFi access throughout the home! Whereas Verizon tech asked where I preferred my router having to crawl into the crawl space to make the location achievable.

I am forever a Verizon loyal customer from here on out after experience a flawless switch and excellent service treating you how you should be treated. I mowed my yard during the install period while ** worked and finished by the time I did in under an hour with no issues from my large mastiff hound inside. You can find these extravagant individuals in Hampton Roads at 7721 Hampton Blvd Verizon????

Original review: May 9, 2019

Worthless customer service. Worst experience. I contacted them a total of five times in the span of a month, with the simple request of separating my account from my wife's. That was just too much for the idiots in customer service. My average wait time on the phone with them each time I called was over an hour. Finally, out of sheer frustration, I gave up and switched to AT&T. I'm happy with my decision. I would STRONGLY ADVISE NOT USING VERIZON WIRELESS!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I just traveled abroad, and now I can't pay my freaking phone bill because, for whatever reason, I'm locked out of my Verizon Wireless account. I've tried resetting my password countless times, but it keeps giving me the same stupid error message. So now they're penalizing me for not paying my bill on the due date, despite not being able to sign into my account. The Internet and mobile networks here are also very weak, so I am unable to call Verizon Customer Service in the United States. It seems that they do this on purpose so that they can take as much money from you as they possibly can! Shame on them!

Original review: May 9, 2019

The wireless company scammed me and my entire family, with the buy one get one free promotion! They never thought told us that, if we paid the buy one off early, that we would lose the free ones! Now they’re charging us for the FREE phone every month! DO NOT USE THEM FOR YOUR WIRELESS SERVICE! They are nothing but SCAMMERS!???

Original review: May 8, 2019

I recently learned that Verizon was overcharging my count for over 2 years because of an account that remained on my bill that was supposed to have been removed. After speaking with customer service and being redirected to the manager of customer service they decided to reimburse me $90. So to be clear, they overcharged me almost $900 and reimbursed $90. With over 150 million subscribers apparently $800 is going to break the bank.

Original review: May 8, 2019

When I went in to discuss possibly purchasing a new cell phone, as my current one was obviously not going to last much longer—After much discussion, a particular phone was settled upon and I was “promised” my monthly charges would be “x” amount. That has never happened. IT HAS BEEN THREE MONTHS SINCE I RECEIVED THE NEW PHONE, THE CHARGES ARE NOWHERE CLOSE TO WHAT I WAS PROMISED. Now I am told that since the 14 day return window has expired for returning the phones, I could take them in my local store but they would just lay there. Nothing would be done and I would not get credit for them. There is supposedly no way to reduce my bill. This is just nuts. I am so frustrated and left with such a poor opinion of Verizon. Once I am able to get out of this contract I will never deal with them again, and certainly never give them any positive comments.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I can no longer actually speak to anyone about a service problem. No matter what I say, the automated voice tells "that request can be handled by our automated assistant" and the online site only allows "chats" from canned topics. Verizon is losing my business, I am more important than apparently they want to treat me. I am not a number.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Service is pretty good and plans are competitive but you cannot set a notification to pay your bill. You can only get a notification when your "bill is ready" about 3 weeks before it is due then they will notify you a day after it is due hoping you forget and then they tack on a $5 late fee. There are no other options. This is a purposeful scam.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I was making the switch back to Verizon (great experience with them years ago). Ordered new phone. Gave credit card for down payment etc.. Get an email that I have to call fraud department which I did only to be treated rudely when asked questions about my identity.. Gave every bit of info they asked for, scammed DL to them credit card and SS# and then get told my account is fraudulent and I am not getting anything and the agent laughed at me when I was blown away... Then Verizon proceeded to charge my credit card anyway!! Call them back (hold times ridiculous) only to be told that bummer, maybe is 5-7 biz days my card will be credited? If I am a fraud why did you put the charge thru in the first place? Worst company ever to deal with! Rude and non-caring whatsoever!

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

• Best for: Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs