Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.97/5
Based on 3,569 ratings submitted in the last year

Verizon Wireless Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: June 29, 2019

Usually dealing with the call center reps for mobile network carriers is a nightmare. Either you are speaking to someone with a very heavy accent and the language barriers between you and the agent are so frustrating you end up hanging up and calling back to get a new representative, or you talk to some snooty chick who acts like she has no reason to try and help you out in the slightest and how dare you ask for your bill to be reduced and you literally hear rolling her eyes at ever question you ask. Well, not with Verizon.!!!

I switched from Cricket Wireless which I subscribed to for the last five years over to Verizon about two months ago. Cricket's customer service department was entirely made up of extremely rude ** who disdainfully tell you that if you are unhappy with your bill or service, that you can leave and no longer be a customer but that no matter what they will not ever give you a discount or refund the BS fees that should not have been assessed to your account in the first place. Verizon is over three times as expensive per month but my goodness is it worth it. Not only are the wireless and cellular network services so much faster than any other carrier I have used, but the call center guys are the nicest and most helpful people I've ever had to deal with!

They broke down my issue for me, walked me thru it step by step even though it was uncomplicated and probably would take most people 2 minutes to get they it he stayed on with my for 42 minutes, taking tons of time with me to help me understand and answered all my stupid questions. He then helped me cut down on some services I was paying for which I didn't really want or need, and then set up a payment arrangement and waived the payment fee for me since it was going to add more to my balance owed than how much he had cut off my bill in the first place. I love Verizon and I will never switch again no matter how ridiculously expensive it gets. It's actually worth the money, like for real. :)

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I had been with another carrier for 12 years. The signal was fine at my house in North Carolina but I got practically no signal when I'd travel to Georgia where most of my family lives. I have my elderly father on my cellphone plan and we'd both decided to do away with our landlines and use our cellphones exclusively. I went to my carrier to update the phones and that's when the problems began. First I had to wait for 45 minutes before someone would help me. Then when it came to trading in the phones for new ones, they told me basically they don't give you anything for your old phones. The phones were iPhone 7s phones. My bill was going to be even higher, over $200, and they basically acted like they didn't care if I stayed with them or not. I've never paid a bill late in the entire 12 years I've been with them.

After asking them several times if they could do better I decided to go to the Verizon store across the street. I was greeted at the door by a CSR. They listened to my needs and within 30 mins. I had two new iPhone XR's, an unlimited plan for both, and they credited me for the phones I traded in. Plus, since my dad is a veteran I also got $30 off my monthly bill. I bought these phones during their "Dads and Grads" special so one of the phones was free. The signal is great on both of them and I'm very happy. They set up and activated both phones for me and showed me how to use them. I'm also paying $60 a month less than I did at my old carrier. If I sign up for autopay it will be an additional $10 off the bill. I bought these at the Shelby, NC store and I couldn't have asked for more. They were all very nice and very helpful.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I called Verizon Wireless because, I ported my number on 4/30/19 and now on 4/6/19 my phone was no longer making or accepting calls saying my port didn't go thru. Kierra was my customer service representative, She was Polite and knew exactly how to help me. She called Walmart Family Mobile to assist in the port. The Walmart Family Mobile representative who answered didn't speak English clearly and proceeded to tell me that my number was deactivated and I needed to reactivate my old phone to port the number. Kierra asked him a question about network speed, he was confused, she asked him if he was from the porting department and he replied with no. She asked to please be transferred to the correct department. The porting department answered and Kierra explained the situation and got my number ported over quickly.

I switched to Verizon because I moved to a place where I had NO service at all. I am paying about $30.00 more for service now but, at least when I call for assistance I know that they will be happy to assist me in English so I can fully understand and are going to look out for my best interest. Thank You Verizon Wireless for hiring such a wonderful person such as Kierra. She not only helped me but she prevented Walmart Family Mobile from giving me the runaround and taking my money. Nicole

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been with a competing wireless carrier for 10 years. I had many issues with that carrier but I stayed with them out of loyalty (my son worked for them). I had trouble getting a signal in my own home and no signal in our little cabin in the woods. Every time I called customer service this carrier promised me that new towers were being built as we spoke. They said in 6 months "you will get a signal with no problem." They told me the same story for years! About six months ago I called once again for the same reason. They have me the spiel of new towers and I got very upset. The customer service agent was short with me and I got more upset. I called right back and talked to a different person who said he would send me a "booster." He took all my information, told me it would be 8 to 10 days to get here. Long story short (ha) it never came and there is no such "booster" that they send to people to get a signal. This company lies consistently.

I finally realized that I had been a fool to stay so long with this other company. I researched my options and chose Verizon to switch to. What a pleasant surprise. After getting my new phone, the Verizon store was eager to help me get set up. The salesperson has called me a few times to be sure I was getting everything I expected from my new phone and carrier. The reception is amazing everywhere. I have not had one issue in three months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

We have been with Verizon (through Victra in Fountain Valley) for several years. The first two and half years were fine. Good phone service no complaints. In August we went into the store to add another phone line and to purchase 1 additional phone for that new line. We were promised a BOGO, buy one get one free phone because we were adding an additional line for a total of 5 phone lines. Our bill at that time was around $200. We were told with the new plan "it would go down." It went up to $310, a 50% increase. Also, we have been charged $30 each and every month since for the BOGO which turned out not to be free after all. I have called customer service every month for the last 6 months and was told that it would "take time" for the contract to go through. "Wait until next month" I was always told. BS. Verizon knows from day 1 what their contract is. I went to the Victra store manager in Fountain Valley and got the run around there too.

Today my bill suddenly went up an additional $100 for "unlimited" which we were also falsely promised would not happen. Why have we not been charged for this for 6 months and suddenly it appears when no changes have been made to the plan? It appears from other reviews on this site that other customers have been defrauded and surprised with increasing phone bills when there have been no plan changes. We have had cell phones for decades with several providers and this is the first time that I have seen this type of deception.

If you are offered a BOGO from Verizon, don't believe it! Now Verizon is telling me an iPad, not the phone, was the BOGO, and that a $200 rebate card was sent last month, which of course we did not receive. And that the unlimited is now $50 a month! They have changed the way they bill to further add to the confusion. The billing could not be more convoluted. Instead of having a plan charge and then a charge for each phone, Verizon has spread the plan charges across each device to make it more difficult to decipher how they are billing. Bottom line Victra/Verizon promised my total bill would not increase, but it doubled. Beware!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

The manager at the store in Waterford Lakes on Alafaya Trail in Orlando, Florida 32828, along with his sales team, will lie to make the sale. I was told by the sales rep that I had 14 days or until the end of the month (Jan 31, 2020) to turn in my old phone for a $200.00 credit. I was also told by the manager of this store that he would waive the $40.00 upgrade fee. I returned to this store 3 days later to trade-in my old phone for the credit but was now informed that because I do not have their unlimited plan, I am not eligible for the 200 dollar credit. In addition to learning this new information, I also received my future bill for Feb/March where the $40.00 credit was to appear from the upgrade charge. Surprise... no credit. Beware of doing business in this store.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Upon me transferring to Verizon months ago, I was promised a $250 gift card by a chat rep I never received. Then this below-- I ordered 2 new iPhones on Verizon's BOGO deal. I asked the CSR on chat if the crack in the screen stops me from trading in my iPhone XR. He said as long as it works, it's good. (It does.) Furthermore, I have paid for insurance on the phone (which inc cracked screen protection) for a yr.+ Verizon rejected the device and charged back $500 which resulted in a $1000 cell phone bill.

I called Verizon resolve the matter. Customer care told me that only financial services could help me (my bill was not late) and transferred me. FS told me only CC could help me (I told them that I had already spoken to CC. FS refused to let me speak to a super and transferred me back to CC). CC again told me that only FS could help me. I hung up and went to see Sprint. Sprint bought my Verizon phones and are paying the Verizon phones off (it's a Sprint deal going on). I will be left owing Verizon $250 after the deal. They offered me trade credit for the phone Verizon rejected($160).

I ported 3 of my 4 lines out to Sprint on 12/31/2019. I left one line because my son's grandmother didn't have her phone yet. Verizon also can. that line. So I called to ensure the phones were indeed disconnected on 12/31. Verizon informs me that they are suspended, and I will be responsible to pay for services that are not available to me through 1/10/2020. I asked to speak to a supervisor who advised this is correct. (Tricia ID: **) She said it would take 24 - 48 hours for her supervisor to return my call.

I'm sure others have had these issues as well and believe actions should be taken against companies who are bullies in billing and charge for services not rendered. Furthermore, when I try to log in to "My Verizon", it will not let me because "the phone number is not registered with My Verizon" although it is. Before I called Verizon today, I had access to login under "disconnected accounts" and now I do not have access to login either under disconnected or current accounts. Complaints have been filed with both the BBB and FTC. Corporations should not be allowed to steal from hard working Americans.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I have been with Verizon for several months. Their home internet service is fine. But the mobile telephone service is awful. The service only works properly about half the time. When it is not working people calling me - or people I am calling - cannot hear me clearly, as the voice keeps cutting out, then returning, then cutting out again. Furthermore, text messages sent to me often arrive hours after they are sent. This makes undertaking transactions - such as home banking - difficult or impossible. I live in Washington DC so the problem is not that I'm in an isolated rural area. I also travel globally for my work and note that almost all Third World countries provide a much better quality phone service for about one third the price. Verizon really need to lift their game. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to cancelling my service with them very soon!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Each month they have tried to raise my bill! For no reason at all!!!! This is the sixth month in a row I will have to call. The last time they promised our rates would never go up unless I changed plans. 1) I have not changed plans and guess what... they're trying to take on $10 per line! Screw that. I cannot wait to go to a different company. At least AT&T didn't Jack rates. They just cost a lot but you knew each month what you were going to pay.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

• Best for: Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team