Verizon Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We decided to switch phone carrier and called around for prices. Verizon had the cheapest prices and it was the last day to get a free phone. So we rushed in to take advantage of the phone offer. What we were told about phone was only partially true, but decided it was an honest misunderstanding. Because of the phone misunderstanding we ask at least twice about the price we had been quoted and it was affirmed that it was correct. We were quoted $83.00 per month complete including tax for 2 lines unlimited text and minutes and 2G per line. The salesman did tell us that we would be making a payment on our "free phones" for the first two months and it would be credited back to us on the third month. We were told that our first bill would be around $99.00.

Lo and behold our first bill was $159.00. There was 2 twenty dollar activation fees which no one mentioned. I could live with the activation fee (another honest misunderstanding) but I feel completely deceived regarding the bill. I would advise any consumer thinking about Verizon to ask for a copy of the bill before they sign up. Not sure what we are going to do. The salesman did make sure that we were aware that we had 14 days to opt out but we would be responsible for a $35.00 dollar restock on our "free phones". I would never recommend Verizon and will probably contact the Better Business Bureau and the company. And give all the negative reviews I can.

Verizon is a scam. I bought my iPhone 7 in best buy and was free when you upgrade. Saturday night they sent me a bill, but I ignored. Today, Monday morning I called Verizon and they want charge me the phone. This is scam and I will take Verizon to court's house!!! I don’t like problems.

I was offered a new Samsung S7 phone by Verizon on Black Friday after Thanksgiving of 2016. This was to included a VR headset. Verizon promised that the VR headset would be shipped at a later date. After multiple calls to Verizon they promised to send an email that would link us to the VR headset offer. The emails never came. Now the Customer Representative says that it is too late to get the VR headset at no cost. We feel that Verizon lied to us multiple times and did not ever intend to supply the VR headset with the new Phone.

I am leaving Verizon ASAP. I am writing this review to warn people that Verizon has horrible customer service and billing practices. I purchased 4 phones and 2 tablets from Verizon. That's 6 lines. We moved to a new area in October 2015. Last March I purchased 2 additional phone lines and phones. For many reasons I forgot to call Verizon to terminate service for 2 of my lines when the contract ended in March 2016 and September 2016. It's January 2017 and Verizon refuses to refund me the money I paid between the contract end dates, to today totaling $220.00. They terminated the 2 lines today and offered me $40.00 of the $220.00 that they owe me. They also told me to sell the 2 extra phones.

I believe that once a contract ended, service should have been terminated for the 2 phones that were not being used. I am asked for a refund of the monies paid between the contract end date and today. No early termination fees should be applied as I paid for two phone lines beyond the contact dates and yet I was told that they could apply the early termination fees and I would still owe them money for the two phones.

Does this make sense to anyone? I feel sorely used. If not for a Verizon employee in one of their stores I would still be paying for phone lines that have not been used since March 2016. Shouldn't I be compensated for paying for services that were clearly not used? I highly encourage consumers to chose a different carrier. I am leaving Verizon as soon as possible.

It is going on 6 months now, 3 of which I have not had cellular service. Someone stole the identification attached to our account. We did a police report, sent in a copy of all paperwork Verizon asked for. We have cooperated fully with them. It was proven that the identity was stolen. Different race, height, weight, age, etc. Charges were made upwards of $6500.00, by adding 5 phones to our account. The thief even changed the last name on the account. Verizon said they would correct the situation. So we are stuck with $700 paperweights that we just got in May 2016, and no phone service. I give Verizon a negative 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 on customer service. Stolen identity is stolen identity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Please do not deal with Verizon. Do not think about trading your phone on line, because process will stress you out. They told me to send in my phone and it worth for $300 trade in, two weeks later they told me my phone worth $15 because it not working and it have a crack. I told them I have prove my phone still working one day before I switch over to Verizon. I want my phone back. They told me once I send in my phone there is no way to get it back. Now I have to file a lawsuit again them. My phone bill is double for what I was estimate it for. This is my second month. They keep telling me to pay for it and I will get the credit on my 3rd months. I login online, the phone bill don't even have enough detail explain why my bill so much. Really don't even think about switching if you don't have the time to play with them.

We've had Verizon for years and haven't had any issues. We had a problem once with our data being used up very quickly over a day. We weren't doing anything different so my husband called Verizon to see what the problem was. The technician examined it and told us what we need to do on our phones to see ourselves what was happening. He then gave us more data without an extra charge. Very helpful and patient with us since we are the "older" generation and not up to speed with the technology!

I was an Verizon Wireless customer for 10 years. At the end of 2015 I contacted Verizon. Tried to get my bill reduced but to no avail because it had became too pricey. To make a long story short I decided to switch carriers because the offer they had was more economical for my family. Verizon sent me a 1800.00 bill in February 2016 in which I called to set up payment arrangements in which I was told I could not do that. The rep told me they would only accept full payment and they would deduct 300 that day if I would pay them the full amount that day. I explained again to the rep I only wanted to do a payment arrangement in which I was told again only a full payment could be made and if I didn't make it they was sending it to a collection agency. 3 days later I was sent a letter from a collection agency. I called them and set up a payment arrangement but there was a 300.00 fee I was going to be charged 1st before any money would go to my bill.

I paid them with an automatic deduction out of my account in which there was no problems until last month (December). The company stopped taking payments out for whatever odd reason and I was sent another letter from a different agency penalizing me with another 300.00 fee and I was told I owed 1500.00. How can I get the bill paid if every 6 months Verizon switches my account to another collection agency in which I have to keep paying a 300.00 fee? I will never get this bill paid and I want justice!! I have tried everything I could think of to settle this debt but I am expending more and more money that I don't have just because I wanted to set up a payment arrangement.

I am being penalized as the consumer. Now granted if Verizon would have gave me the correct bill when I first requested it in December 2015 Sprint would have paid the phones off but I was told by another representative from Verizon if I turned the phones in that Sprint would send them back to them in which I found out that never happened because 2 months later I was sent a 1800.00 bill when it was originally 1100.00. Please help with this matter. I do not want to spend another 300.00 for another company to start my payment arrangement!!! This is ridiculous! I will never switch back to Verizon after all of this foolishness I have endured!!!

On two occasions I have told one thing but then something different happens. There will not be a 3rd time. I bought the Note 7. What a mess that was. Bought the phone the day it came out. Had to return that one for a Note 7 with a better battery. Then had to return that phone because it was recalled. Verizon doesn't even take into consideration that their customers can afford all these changes. I was forced to trade in my NEW Note 7. I was told that the taxes I paid for the Note 7 would be reimburse back to my debit card within 10 business days. Well that didn't happen. I gave them a call and asked why I hadn't received my money back yet. I was told by another Verizon employee that it would take 1 to 2 billing cycles for my money to be returned to me.

Let me just say I was pissed. I'm tired of getting told different things by different employees of Verizon. 1 to 2 billing cycles is completely unacceptable in my book. In the future I'm going to record all conversations I have with Verizon employees. The first chance I get I'm leaving Verizon. At what point does Verizon take responsibility for what their employees tell us? I will never let them take advantage of me again. You will not tell me one thing and do something else.

Warning: Do not get into a contract with Verizon. They will rip you off big time. After paying for 10 years over $2400 a year I changed to Cricket to $50 a month. I now see how I was ripped off for a monthly bill of $200 and at the end I get a early termination fee of $280. There is no loyalty to a customer. It is take all you can and rip them off at the end. DO NOT get Verizon and their yearly fees that will lock you into a high rate when you can get a Cricket phone for 50 a month for the same service. AVOID Verizon!!!

Normally I have great experiences with Verizon. But they should not provide insurance if they can't do anything to help you when there is a scam. They wash their hands and leave you to hang. I got Asurion through Verizon. Someone called Asurion and had a phone mailed to a different state than where we live to a different name. Asurion sends the phone and blocks my number. Verizon can't help. They basically said there is nothing they can do. So...why don't they mention this little detail when they offer the insurance plan. A simple "by the way if you get scammed we can't help you and Asurion is prone to scams" warning would have been helpful!

I went in to the Palmdale Verizon Store on Nov 4 and spoke with Bill about getting a new family plan. I was already with T-Mobile. I brought in my current bill to see if they can offer me a better deal. So, he ended up quoting me (in writing) $254 which was about $10 more than I was paying which I was ok with because I knew Verizon was "top of the line" phone company. Little did I know what was coming. Bill advised me that we qualified for up to $600 on each line to pay off our phone lease with T-Mobile and that it would come on a gift card to pay them off. He also said we get a trade in credit for whatever our phones are worth and in which case he said would be $300 per phone. I showed him my T-Mobile bill with my lease pay off amounts and he said "oh yes those amounts will be covered".

So, Our first bill came in and it was $384! Yikes! I went back and complained about this and they did something to add credits to our bill which lowered it as a courtesy and told me that the next bill should be accurate. Well I am on my third bill and it has came at $284 about $40 more then what I was quoted! Every time I call they tell me the following month it should be corrected and here I am still wondering what I got myself into.

Now, about the switch program. They lied to me. When I called the switch program they advised me that I was only getting $16.03 for 2 of my lines and $90.00 on my other 2 lines on a gift card! I had traded in 2 iPhone 6 and 2 iPhone 6 plus. They advised that the difference of $37.50 would be applied to my Verizon account over a 24 month period. Therefore they didn't give me anything for my T-Mobile phones but $212 and left me with a $1200 bill to pay T-Mobile and not only that since I didn't catch this on time and me waiting for my gift cards T-Mobile sent me to collections after 45 days of not paying their phones off. I was lied to! They sold our phones and didn't give us anything for it! This ended up so costly for us with a higher monthly bill. Very little for our trade ins, and a strike on our credit by T-Mobile.

I gave these ratings because for the past few years I have not been satisfied with my service provider due to their refusal to compete with the other networks in the area of unlimited everything. All of the other networks are giving their customers unlimited everything and Verizon is still holding their customers hostage to limits. Verizon stinks and I was just waiting for my end of contract so I could choose a better carrier!!

There has never been an issue of concern. Unlike other providers of digital services, Verizon has never increased my billing with unknown fees or sloppy billing procedures or outright deceptive business practices.

Their service area is very dependable. I have a 21-mile commute to work. I would like to be sure that if I broke down or had an accident that I would be able to make the necessary phone call(s) for assistance. Verizon is known for its reputable and reliable service which makes me feel extremely comfortable.

On November 4, I signed up for Verizon Wireless. During my process of signing up for service, I traded in my old phone when I ported my number over from AT&T. During that first week, I experienced issues with my bill because one of your sales representative mislead me stating that my access line charges will be waived for one year ($20). When I contacted your executive offices, Sara attempted to investigate the so-called promotion but was unable to locate it. As a courtesy, she gave me $240 as a credit (12 x $20). That issue was resolved.

Shortly after, I received a termination notice from my employment. It was only logical for me to cancel my Verizon Wireless account and avoid defaulting and rearrange my finances. When my final bill was generated, I was surprised that my bill did not include the appraised $300 of my device trade-in that Verizon has not paid out. I sent an email to Sara at the Executive Office voicing my concern. She promptly called me, stated that she could not assist further because when I

canceled my account, I forfeited my device credit.

When Sara stated that she could not help me, I promptly contacted the consumer complaint system with the DOJ of California, being desperate for assistance. Tracey a senior analyst contacted me... asking her for a credit of $120 which I know that is owed to me ($240 current credit given + 60 (matching the trade-in value) + 60 (for the access line charges for 3 months that the sales rep stated I will get waived) = $120). Tracey just restated what Sara said, that she could not assist me.

I believe that this is extremely unfair and anti-consumer. When I traded in my phone, it was my impression that I will get a gift card for the amount of $300 and not a bill credit for the next 24 months until I received the email from your Trade-In Department after they received my device and it was processed. I have contacted many times, filed multiple reports with the government agencies, and nothing has helped me.

I asked to switch to Verizon Wireless and offered my Galaxy 4s in trade. They could not find my model to determine the value so they substituted another phone and cleared it with Verizon while I waited (90 minutes). I was told that I would receive a $300 credit after I send in my phone. Verizon gave the phone value $0 value. After this I went online and found thousands of similar complaints. I believe a class action lawsuit is required. Would all of you that have had this problem please contact me at ** to pursue a remedy?

Verizon offers a nifty app for smartphones to track minutes and data. I share a plan with 3 of my family members and we never go through all 10GB of data per month, but we get notifications when we are close to going over so we know to go easy on the data usage. I've never had a bad experience and seem to always have signal even when my friends with other carriers don't. I've especially noticed that when in large crowds, my service is great compared to friends'. Can't complain about Verizon. The plan I have is reasonable and we get a deal for our family plan.

I seem to always have service. It just works every day. No matter where we travel we always have a signal. I seldom have to call customer service. When I do call they seem to fall over themselves to give great service and follow up.

There is no 1 word that describes this company. I can only tell you to try them and make your own decision. I had been a customer of another comp for over 10 years. They willing let me get a phone from them they knew wasn't going to work in my area and then refused, forcing me to change providers. Verizon pick me up without any questions.

I have had good luck with Verizon. We have always used Verizon and have not had any problems with then. They might cost more than other wireless company but it's hard it take a chance on something different.

Verizon Wireless has the most horrific customer service I have ever experienced. I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with them and they never fix anything. They fraudulently increased charges without my approval and they will not provide credit. They are illegally charges fees and they will not fix the problem. Every time I get off the phone I am supposed to receive an email explaining that my problem has been fixed but that never happens. I never receive an email and the problem is never fixed. I am switching to AT&T tomorrow. I have been a Verizon customer since 2002 and I should have left a very long time ago. I would have a lot more money in my pocket if I had left Verizon years ago.

Difficult to reach, in-store customer service makes you call customer service. One of the more expensive, give you a free tablet for one year then charge you for two. Make it difficult to remove special services and way too expensive for travel outside of US.

Overall I like Verizon. I have been with Verizon forever. They have very good customer service and reception. But I think their cost is way too high now in comparison with the other carriers. They should give discounts to longevity customers.

I've always been very satisfied when I call them with a problem or to add customer to change my plan or for any other problem. They're always very helpful and go the extra mile to make sure that I am happy and everything is taken care of properly. When I make my calls I never had out of area. I've never been able to always reach someone on any other service. All the other services they provide are always very reliable and work very well. Almost never have trouble with my emails. I think when I do it's probably my error. We never have on smart phones until last Christmas and they told us these would be the easiest. The Apple would be the easiest and they are.

Experience with their website has not been positive. At times I have to go to the retail store for assistance. Latest example was trying to order an iPhone 7 and trade in our older phone. Couldn't accomplish online. I had to go to the store and fulfill the order and now I need to go back again to get the old phone traded in. Waste of my time! Their website is not easy enough to use. They need to involve all types of users to make the website easy to understand, easy to use with minimal steps. I don't like that I have to go to a retail store to get assistance when I know if could be done on the website.

Still no service at my house for my phone. I only use it when I travel. I love Verizon but can't seem to make them understand the importance of having cell signal at my home. I need it for school and for my children's school. The only thing we have in our small community is satellite internet which cost a fortune unless you are a person that stays up between the hours of 2 am to 8 am. I get 15 gigs of daytime minutes a month between 8 am to 2 am and 50 gigs between the hours of 2 am to 8 am. When I use Verizon at home, I have to use my internet satellite for my phone which is sad. I can use the internet from my phone, but cannot text, email, or talk on it. I think Verizon should start looking into these small areas if they want to stay on top.

Overall happy with the service. Would like having more knowledgeable employees to deal with in all aspects of Verizon. I always have to call or go back several times because of wrong information. Very frustrating.

I had Verizon service for four months. I paid an arm and leg in fees to open the account with them. The quality of Verizon's service was no better than Sprint. I find it pointless to pay more for the same quality. I also had an issue with billing. When I canceled my service (I did not have a contract because I purchased my phone outright) I was charged a 17$ reactivation fee. I called to get the fee waived because I had NO intention on reactivating the account and I was told it's a legitimate charge so they refused and sent it to collections. In conclusion I would NEVER recommend using Verizon! You can get the same quality service for a cheaper price.

I have never had one bit of trouble with it, other than figuring out the updates, which I don't like. Otherwise, good customer service and good outreach! Considering that I drop my phone so much, and it always works (not like the other company I had been with) I am happy. Just stop with the emoji's!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.
  • Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.
  • Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.
  • Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.
  • Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.
  • Best for Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Compare Prepaid Phones