Verizon Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased this Samsung Galaxy S7 - Gold PLATINUM on 7/18/16 for $672.00 with a 1 year warranty. After several months the phone would freeze from time to time but was able to reset it back to operating with no issues. On May 17, 2017 my phone locked for no apparent reason. I brought it into a Verizon store and sales associate was unable to determine problem. I finally received a ticket number and UPS label from Samsung on 5/23/17 and shipped out the same day. I finally get back on 6/3/17 from Samsung, get the phone up and running and it freezes again in about 1 hour. After numerous calls to Verizon and testing over the phone, phone resets, they decided to send me a replacement phone. I ask now "is this a new phone or refurbished." They said it's Refurbished!!! So now I get someone else's problem.

So basically I paid $672.00 for a new phone for 11 months. They will not adjust the fee now that they are giving me a used phone. My contract was to pay for a new phone over 2 years of $672.00. My balance to date on the phone is $392.00 and I finish paying on 7/18/18. $392.00 for a used phone that is just ridiculous. Then they say they warranty used phone for 90 days free of charge. Then I can opt for extended warranty after that for $3.00 per month. If interested in this company make sure you do your homework before signing a contract. Contract states they will replace phone within 1 year of purchase. BE AWARE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO OR WHERE IT COMES FROM!!! IT'S NOT A NEW PHONE!!!

I am a 76 year old real estate broker who occasionally travels in North America out of the USA, and who got burned financially by Verizon while using an international calling plan on a trip to Nassau about 10 years ago. I left the data service on while roaming, and the automatic update active on, which ran up over $600 in long distance fees on our 5 day trip. Lesson to SELF: BE PRUDENT WITH THOSE PRECIOUS MINUTES! So on a trip to Nassau in June of 2015, I asked for an international calling plan for both my wife and myself for our 8 day trip. As the rep explained the best plan, which would cost each of us about $85/mo, I was told that I could terminate both plans on our return, and the charges would be pro-rated. And even though I was very specific about the start and finish dates for the trip, I knew to call on our return to "turn off" this service, which I did. I used auto bill pay on this Verizon account.

In January of 2016, my wife and I planned an 8 day trip to Bermuda, and went through the same request for service, and were given the same presentation of what to expect. Our trip was a disaster in that it rained every day, but most importantly, my new iPhone 6 was stolen on the first day. Unsettled, but feeling reasonably prepared for such an event, I called for a replace phone, which was covered by the insurance I had in effect at the time. But life wasn't that simple; I was told that federal law prohibited a new phone from being sent to me since we were out of the USA, and so I had to buy another handset locally to stay in touch with my wife during our trip. When we returned, I called to cut off the international calling feature... What I DIDN'T DO, was scrutinize the auto-billing payments to verify that those charges were terminated.

Fast forward to June 7, 2017, when my wife and I prepared to make a short trip to celebrate our 10th anniversary of our union, and as we prepared for a mid-day departure, I learned that her iPhone6 had died that very morning, and she was very upset as she considered being away for 4 days and being unable to stay in touch with her children and siblings. Feeling no reasonable alternative, we drove to an area retail Verizon store and bought her a new iPhone 7+. We had also discussed removing my wife's phone from my account, and decided to do that while we waited. I also decided to ask why our collective bill was costing me about 380/mo. The rep observed that each line was being charged $85/mo for an International Travel Plan + another $3.99/mo for International Value Plan!

Then we learned that these charges had been assessed to the account continuously since June of 2015 for a cumulative overcharge of approximately $4,272.00! I was blown away! The retail clerk had been most helpful, but advised me that I would need to speak with the Verizon Business office to address this overcharge. By then, the clock pointed to 4 PM, and with five hours of driving ahead of us to get to our destination, we postponed our trip and left the next day.

The next day, on our long trip, I decided to begin the process of rectifying these charges. Little did I know how many iterations of "Customer Service" I would encounter. My first rep listened to my long tale of woe, and told me simply that "Verizon's position" on such matters was to consider that each bill, when paid, was regarded as a closed transaction. And so no refund could be paid on my account. I agreed that if the service was rendered, I could accept that. But in this case, charges not authorized accrued to my account for services that were never provided, and that this truth could be verified by checking my passport OR the record on no international activity on my two accounts during that entire period. She said she could not help; I asked to speak with a supervisor. She transferred me.

Supervisor #1 listened to my lament and told me that she could authorize a 3-month credit my account with $534.00 (against my $4,272.00 overcharge); I told her that I could not agree to that and asked that she speak on my behalf with HER supervisor. She agreed and said that "someone" would call me back. OBTW: no service rep at this stage could return my call; up to this point it was always incumbent upon me to see if I could weave my way through their telephone labyrinth in order to continue my pursuit of an acceptable settlement. Supervisor #2 called me the following Monday and told me that she thought she could get me a credit of $1,100, but needed to secure approval of that amount from senior management; she'd "call me back". The next day, I was told that a request for an $1,800.00 amount had been denied by senior management, so the best they could do was $1,100.00, but that amount, again, "had to be approved".

Finally, two days later, I received an final callback and was advised that my case had been reviewed by both senior service management AND an executive, and the "best they could do was a $510.00 credit for each line." I thought for a minute and in complete submission, agreed. When asked if I wanted to hold on the line while that credit was posted, I told her that on each of 3 prior attempts, the settlement amount actually offered me was lower than the prior offer, so she could either post the credit, or not. Eight hours later, NO CREDIT OF ANY KIND WAS POSTED TO MY ACCOUNT. So why did I take my time (and yours) to pour out my soul of this experience? I guess just out of righteous rage.

I realize that I have some responsibility to look out for my own interests, and that by not catching the first error a month after we returned from our June 2015 trip, I contributed to the dilemma. But I could not get my arms around, even given my oversight (and Verizon's error) early on, how did the next Verizon rep not give me a heads up when I order the International Plan for my Jan 2016 trip? It was already being charged to my account! What's up with that? And finally, (and I know this is a bit naive), if it was clear that not one iota of activity occurred on these two lines at any time other than the two weeks that we were away, why couldn't some senior management type adjust the bill in some credible manner. No way to run a phone company, in my opinion. Thanks for listening.

I had not one but 2!!! Defective iPhones from Verizon in one year! When I returned each of them for a replacement, Verizon claimed they didn't get the phones (despite my providing them with tracking numbers) and then they added the cost of the replacement phone $699 to my bill - despite the fact that the replacement phone was a "reconditioned" phone (fmv of $300)! I have spent 10 hours of my life dealing with this incompetence -- it is inexcusable! Don't use Verizon!!!

I have been a customer for 5+ years and now that they have my business and a contract they have not been helpful in the least bit. After having my note 4 for 2 years it started acting up right as my phone was paid off. I went in to get this one warrantied and they told me I would have to send my phone in and wait several days to receive the warrantied phone. Obviously frustration was high. It is nearly impossible to run a business without a phone. So my only option was to re-sign up for a new plan with a new phone. I purchased the G5 and was never satisfied with the phone from the start. They told me to try it out for a few more days. In those few days I had dropped the phone and damaged it because the case was on order. Now the plastic casing on the phone has a hole in it.

So their oh-so-wonderful response was then that I was stuck with the phone or I had to pay off the remainder $600 and sign a new contract??? The reception has been terrible. We have replaced sim cards and has gotten slightly better but still drops calls daily. I am now in month 3 of having this phone and the battery will only last until noon at best and has to be plugged back in to charge.

Now that frustrations are even higher I have again called to give yet another opportunity for them to fix the problems. I was given 3 options. #1. Pay off phone. Buy a new one. #2. Warranty the phone and have a refurbished phone for the next 20 months. #3. Buy a used phone. At this point they will not even let me warranty the phone to get back into an old out-dated NOTE4. I thought I should share how caring and helpful all of the employees at Verizon have been as soon as there was a contract signed. Needless to say I will never recommend Verizon again unless it is to someone I want to suffer. Needless to say their coverage is lacking as well.

I bought the Verizon tablet because I was told it was the best in the market. I need it for my business. Every time I try to show my customers information that they ask for (video or pics) it shuts down. It then has to reload the 148 apps, taking about 15min and then it shuts down again. It was also suppose to hold a charge for a couple of days, but it doesn't. Takes a long time to charge. I sent it in for warranty work, within a few days they sent it back saying they just cleaned it and they could not duplicate the problems. It did hold a charge a little longer, but all the other problems are still there. I was told that to cancel it, I would have to pay the rest of the 2 years. Bottom line this tablet is a piece of junk and Verizon does not care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

I won't even go into all the valid reasons I've had to call VW customer service. I do believe their voice response system is set up "NOT TO TAKE YOUR CALL" at all. When I call, they always put me in queue, and try to drive me mad with annoying music and repeating "did you know, you can blahblahblah, just go to WWW.Verizonwireless.com.” Like I didn't try that first. There are so many things you can't do on VW.com - but they really don't want customers to call them. Wait time is always unacceptable, and sometime I've waited > 45 minutes only to be thrown into their voicemail system and by then, I could chew up a 10 penny nail. So, I hang up and that’s just what I believe they want. For me to stop bothering them.

I have been a VW customer for 17 years and I was happy for most of those years however; VW has changed their approach to managing the call volume and their responsiveness (or lack of) to so many of us ‘loyal’ customers that I’ve began to really, really despise them. When I call, I just want a warm body to PICK UP THE FREAKIN’ PHONE.

First I want to start off by saying I was with Verizon for over 20 years, that being said, I left them due to misinformation by representatives including payments. I closed my account with them back in October. Prior to closing the acct I contacted Verizon Billing to find out how much I would be charged for canceling my acct. The phone acct I was aware of the correct amount, but as far as the tablet I was told 30.00. After I closed the account I was billed 90.00 (early termination) which according to the rep I spoke with did not include.

Then I was paying them 25.00 a month plus payment on a prepaid Sprint card. The representative told me I had made 442.18 in payments, since January. I contacted their outside company who handles past due accounts. They told me I still have balance of 154.00. Spoke to another acct rep who claimed I was given misinformation and the amount is 154 and change. The acct rep also told me about payments made that I have other amounts. I am tired of all their constant misinformation they tell you concerning plans, payments, and equipment.

If you want quality customer service then DON'T switch to Verizon Wireless. It all started when I tried calling their "customer service" number for help. It was to my great dismay that there were no options available to get transferred to a live representative whatsoever!! I got ZERO help and the robot kept hanging up on me... "It seems you are having some trouble, thank you for calling Verizon Wireless... CLICK." UNBELIEVABLE. I had to call 20 times and all 20 times their useless automated system refused to transfer me to a representative and hung up on me. I was so frustrated and mad that I spent hours of my time on something that should have taken no more than 15 min.

In Dec 2016 we went to our local Verizon store to upgrade my wife's phone from a basic phone to a smartphone. She picked a Samsung Galaxy J3. We were supposed to pay for the phone at $7.00 per month for 3 months, then we would receive a $7.00 credit on the bill paid for by Verizon for the balance of the phone purchase. 4 months went by, and no credit. Went back to our local Verizon store and the clerk there called Verizon personally. Verizon customer rep told this clerk "that Verizon was behind in issuing the credits as they had been overwhelmed by the amount of customers taking advantage of this great deal". We gave them another month, and still no credit. Wife called Verizon directly and after a quite lengthy conversation she was told that Verizon would call back on Wednesday of next week. No phone call was ever received.

Waited another week and called again. Same kind of runaround again. "We are looking into it and we will call you back next week." We are now on month # 6 and still no credit. We are going to go back to our local Verizon store again and have them call Verizon direct again and see what kind of story we get this time. We have been with Verizon ever since they bought out ComNet Cellular, approximately 17 or 18 years ago. Getting to the point where we are ready to switch providers and take our chances on their coverage. We live in central Wyoming and Verizon and Union are the only ones who have decent coverage.

We signed up for an unlimited plan 4 months ago, the first month went great and the data speed was good. Now we have noticed at the beginning of our billing cycle the data is much slower than it was the first month, then after we use our 10 GB and get our message from Verizon that we're slowing down to 3G. It at times slows down so much I can't even load a website. If you haven't signed up for an unlimited plan don't, it's so slow all month we have just as many speed issues before we get to our 10G allotment as we do after. Verizon is just robbing people blind cutting your service speed and calling it unlimited!

I spent nearly an hour trying to reach a person at Verizon. I could not find any avenue to a representative. When the recording asked me to tell it why I was calling, I told it I was calling "to reload my Verizon jetpack". Then it would say something like 'I'm having difficulty helping you. This must not be an issue that Verizon deals with." Next it would say goodbye and hang up. I called about 5 different Verizon phone numbers, trying all avenues and the same robot answers them all with the same menu. I called one of the Verizon stores and was told to just keep hitting zero and eventually I would get a rep. Nope. I got the same smug "Goodbye".

Eventually I tried calling another one of their stores and found a sales person who was very helpful. He told me that as soon as I heard the robot starting to say "Thank you for calling..." immediately punch in 0#0#0#. Finally that worked! Unfortunately, what I need has to wait until Monday business hours. Turns out my jetpack is a corporate plan. I only use it once a year and had forgotten that. I tried to do a chat on-line, but even that wasn't possible. My need, to refill my jetpack, wasn't an option so I couldn't get through.

Applying for a mortgage and the bank checked my credit, Verizon Wireless and a company called Jefferson Capital Systems has a collection on my report for $1532.00 claiming I opened a cell account on 10/12/2016. I have NEVER had any type of account with Verizon. Have filed a dispute with credit bureaus and have tried to call Verizon to ask them to prove I have open account. Can't even get corporate to answer the phone.

I recently lost my phone. The phone was a flip phone. I went into a service location to report the loss and get a new phone. I was told that I needed to pay the outstanding balance on the phone, $64 and a current balance of $115. Then I was told the total I needed to pay was $199. I asked why there was a difference and I was told there was an "upgrade" fee. My response was, "for the exact same model flip phone?" I was told yes.

Verizon defines "upgrade" in the following circumstances: Getting a better model or higher end phone, this is ok. Getting a phone that is an equivalent quality but perhaps different brand. Getting a phone that is the exact same model and brand, such as my case of the exact same flip phone. Getting a phone of lower quality or type. If I have a smartphone then move to a flip phone. This is how Verizon works, they promised that we had been long term customers and we would always have that service as a reward for being loyal customers. That's when they started using "Upgrade" to take those promised services away.

So I had a plan with 3 phones with 2 of my friends for a decent price. We had been making payments regularly online, but then that changed when we tried to pay in cash. I never complain about anything, but even months later this has me so fired up. It was a Friday and I went into the store just before I had to go to work. I gave one of the workers the $260 we owed so we could keep our phones on. The guy said it was paid in full, that I was all set, and I went on my way. The next day, our phones were shut off. We called trying to figure out what was going on, and for a few hours they said I never made any payment at all, then they decided to tell me I only paid $160. My friends were mad at me thinking I took the other hundred (I forgot to ask for the receipt for the transaction).

So we went in there on Sunday to figure things out. The guy was adamant I only paid $160 when I gave him everything I had (I have near perfect memory). So we asked to see camera footage and he refused and got mad at us and very defensive when I asked questions. I made the mistake of throwing a chair at him and got kicked out by police who I was planning on calling. I thought I might be going crazy until I found out almost the exact same thing happened to another friend, and then my grandma! So here I am with $2,200 of debt towards a collection agency because of a clever devil. If you want to know, this is the Verizon store in Penn Yan NY. I hope those people get what's coming to them.

Up until 2 or 3 years ago I have had stellar service. Few and far concerns. However of late I have encountered new dead zones where they were not. I think a bit pricey but well worth it to have reliable service. I have friends with various other providers experience reception problems. I still think this is one of the best.

I've had Verizon for years and any problem (only a few) was taken care of. Minor ones were because I am in my 60's and am still having to be tutored occasionally. Customer service is excellent as is their national service.

Concern: Request to have Daughters phone accessible by both parents (divorced) for setting usage times/settings and monitoring. Stated there is no way without revealing the total privacy of the other party and all lines involved. A separate account was asked for to allow both divorced parents access and still allow the family rate as the number would remain the same along with the same payee. Stated this is not something that can be accommodated. That a separate account and full billing would be needed. Asked for President/CEO contact information, customer service rep did not know name of President/CEO and would not give out an email address. Asked for CIO name/email, did not know and would not give information. Stated there is a general email address that routes all emails to the appropriate parties.

I stated this is a global legal issue that with today's technology advances one would think Verizon would be leading the way. I was placed on hold when I stated this will be going further than an email as there are legal parents involved with the control of a minors device. They stated Verizon has not options/solutions to accommodate. Letter generated to Roger Gurnani the CIO for Verizon:

"I am saddened to find out that Verizon does not have an app or willingness to set up a separate account with a family plan discounted rate for dual parent monitoring. As divorced parents, neither would want to give the other parent full access to all lines on the account for privacy reasons. However both parents are in full agreement that they should have the same access rights to the phone for usage time and monitoring settings of their minor children.

With this being said I would like a quick response on Verizon's willingness to accommodate this global issue for separated/divorced parents of minor children. A simple solution would be to discount the single phone line for the minor child and apply the heavily advertised family plan to that account as it is currently on a family plan. This would allow the phone number to be on a separate account and the login information can be shared between parties without privacy breaches of non-minors on the family plan. Thank you for taking the time to read this concern and assisting. Verizon Customer of >15 years."

The woman who helped me with my iPhone which was not working correctly adequately answered all my questions and helped me exactly as needed. I appreciate all the help Verizon! I had a great experience with technical support. Fixed and done in under an hour for a pretty big process.

When my internet service suddenly went To 3G I called. After four calls 50 minutes of online chat they inform me there is nothing they can do. My four lines with them are stuck on 3G for internet until the end of billing cycle. Trying to operate a business when you can't get pages to load on phones or computers is ridiculous. Each representative told me something different about the problem and none were right. I'm now looking at other companies.

Verizon’s reliability is great but customer service does not follow through on what they promise. Also, their promotions are very misleading. Example: Buy an Iphone 7, trade in qualifying IPhone and get $650 cash back in two to three billing cycles. Truth is it takes almost 5 billing cycles and your credits are in 24 monthly. Your 5 payments that were made is supposedly credit back but is not. Program package is what they say but taxes and fees additional 10%.

Problems abound: poor audio quality, many times to a degree that communication is impossible. Customer support more than awful. Verizon does everything it can to avoid personal contact with a customer. If you are "lucky" enough to get thru, you reach someone with failing comprehension and communication skills. My last call pertained to being cut off on multiple calls with "unlimited" time available and being told I "needed to pay more money to continue my service". The non-English speaking girl I spoke with (Rye) said she fixed the problem when, in reality, all she did was wipe out my recorded voicemail message. These folks want to take your money and make customer service so difficult that you eventually give up.

Verizon has the worst customer service, the worst pricing, But the best coverage and reliability. I have been a Verizon customer for far too long. The only reason I stay with them is all my friends have poor reception and dropped calls. I'm just waiting for one of the other companies to improve their coverage.

Android smart phones are a bit complicated to use. We have people call us to say we just called them when our phone is actually in another room. This happens fairly often. A call block needs to be added with simple instructions for applying. We receive a lot of scam-type calls and have found no way to block those numbers. We signed up for DO NOT CALL but are told this only applies to numbers of legitimate businesses only. We also have the Verizon Mi-Fi which constantly cuts us off. For the cost, service should be better. Those who became Verizon customers when Verizon bought out Alltel were able to keep unlimited data. We were customers of Cellular One which was taken over by Verizon, but no consideration is given to long-time consumers.

When we moved to Las Vegas and our new home we had 5 bars, 2 years later we have 1 or none. Dropped calls all the time. Have called and they just give you bogus answer to why you are having the problem. They will let you out of your contract or will just let you go but they will not unlock your phone, you are forced to buy a new phone. Verizon could care less but now after losing 249,000 customers maybe they will start caring. I have spent hours on the phone with everyone from customer service to tech support and they do nothing but give you a line of BS.

Verizon is still not giving back refund after 6 month and denies it now: I have stopped my Verizon service in Philadelphia on Dec. 15, still did not received about $30 refund back, and now Jun 6, after six month, one special Verizon bill Department rep said there is even no refund. Verizon is charging for no service: I tried to get my new Verizon DSL/phone service in Maryland around Feb. 3, service was not activated on time. I gave Verizon additional week to activated the service again, still not activated. I cancelled the service immediately and started using Xfinity, which is accessible in 2 minutes. Though not getting Verizon service, Verizon was keeping sending me $70-$90 bill every month, and I have to call to clean up each month, but the same bill always kicks back.

Verizon sent debt collection company harass my life: Now I even received a notice from Debt collection company, claiming I own Verizon money, threatening impacting my credit score. Verizon rep is not helpful but troublesome: Call the Verizon again, one special bill department rep was not helpful to solve the problem but started accusing no confirmation number for stopping service. The problem is if Verizon does not keep a good record on their end, they accuse customer.

I recently switched to Verizon and got the plan for $35 a month and was super happy with the price and telling friends to switch to Verizon also. Well I was reviewing my bill and seen a $20 line of access fee I was never told about. What's the point of pricing the plan at $35 when I have to pay an additional $20 and why wasn't I told about this? I should have stuck with U.S. Cellular.

I do like Verizon. I had to get WiFi at my house to be able to use my phone. That's with any company though. It's the area I live in, I guess. Where I live, it does get the best reception of all the companies I've tried. It's easy to use. It's fast. However, we are supposed to pay one set amount every month, and every month it's higher and there are always lots of extra fees. Can't understand that.

Called to close the account/cancel service. Was told that the account would be closed and last day of service would be 02/26/17. The request to cancel was in the middle of the billing cycle and I figured that I would have to eat the 1/2 of month. Since I was on paperless billing and I did not get an e-mail that a charge would be taking place on my credit card. I assumed that the account had been closed. Bad assumption. Did not notice that a charge, although 2/3 of previous billed amount was being put on the credit card. I had two lines/phones and they had only canceled one of the numbers. When I did notice it, it was 3 months after I had requested the account be closed. They will only refund less than 1/2 of the amount they had put on my card. Bottom line DON'T TRUST THEM TO DO WHAT THEY ARE TOLD TO DO, OR SAY THEY WILL.

This is the best company out there. The service is good. Customer service is very helpful. They have the stores in most towns where you can go one on one with reps with problems or concerns. I personally love Verizon but can no longer afford the cost. Being on minimal disability doesn't leave room for much. If you use your phone much and can afford it, this would be the company to go with.

Customer service in the retail branches varies: some very good, some downright horrible, especially when upgrading. The sales manager wants to sell, sell, sell! Fees charged by Verizon are fees by extortion. Better off in the 60's and 70's when phones were simply hard wired, somewhat dumb and not laced with hidden fees and extra charges. I’m waiting for Consumer Cellular to come our way, with better coverage.

Compare Prepaid Phones