3.1/5 (2352 ratings)

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

Pros

• 5G available in some areas
  • Discounts on multiple lines
  • Mix & match unlimited plans
  • Parental control app

Cons

• Prices are higher for fewer lines
  • 5G not available in all areas

Bottom Line

Verizon offers a wide range of cellular service plans for customers who use their devices in different ways. Though prices might be higher than other providers, the level of service and extra features make Verizon stand out.

Top Verizon Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The manager David, at the Delmont PA - Verizon Wireless store, is awesome. I had an issue and he went above and beyond to resolve my problem… I have never had a service provided b...

Verified

I get excellent coverage here where others with other companies are not so fortunate. Prices are competitive and the selection of phones is excellent. I have had Verizon for 7 yea...

What is Verizon Unlimited?

Verizon is a cellular service provider based in the United States. Verizon Unlimited plans offer five levels of service that you can mix and match. All Unlimited plans include coverage in Mexico and Canada and have no roaming charges in the U.S. Verizon Unlimited’s five plans are:

• Start Unlimited works on 4G and includes talk, text and data. It includes 480p video streaming.
  • Play More Unlimited includes 5G access (for compatible phones) and is suitable for music and video streaming. The plan comes with 25 GB of premium data, unlimited mobile hotspot use and HD video streaming.
  • Do More Unlimited includes premium data and has 5G access, 50 GB of mobile hotspot use and 500 GB of cloud storage.
  • Get More Unlimited works on 5G and includes HD video streaming, 75 GB of premium data and unlimited mobile hotspots with 30 GB.
  • Just Kids Unlimited can be added to any other unlimited plan. It comes with 5 GB of data, unlimited talk and text to 20 contacts, 480p video streaming, safety mode, content filters and location tracking.

All of Verizon Unlimited’s plans include a free six-month subscription to Apple Music and a one-year subscription to Disney Plus.

How does Verizon smart family work?

Verizon Smart Family is a companion app that gives you parental controls to help manage your kids’ smartphone use. You can add the service to eligible Verizon accounts, including unlimited plans. Just Kids Unlimited comes with Smart Family. You can use an app on your device to:

• Filter content
  • Monitor and limit calls, texts and purchases
  • Monitor internet use
  • Pause internet access
  • Track another device’s location

Content filters with Smart Family let you block websites and apps by category or manually block specific sites. You can also control the filters for specific family members. For texts and calls, Smart Family lets you see and monitor incoming and outgoing activity, but you can’t read texts or listen to calls.

Smart Family also creates a graph that shows your child’s online activity and website use. You can set time restrictions and limits for purchases billed directly to your Verizon account via carrier billing.

Verizon family plan prices

Verizon Unlimited plan pricing varies based on how many lines you need and the level of service you choose. Start Unlimited for four lines is $35 per month per line. Two lines of Start Unlimited costs $60 per month per line.

Play More Unlimited and Do More Unlimited are both $45 for four lines; Get More is $55 for four lines. Add Just Kids to any unlimited line for $35. All plans incur additional taxes and fees.

Verizon Wireless FAQ

Can I use Verizon Wireless for home internet?

Verizon offers Fios home internet plans in some areas. You can also use your Verizon mobile hotspot to connect to the internet at home, but hotspot data is limited.

Is Verizon Wireless the best carrier?

Whether Verizon Wireless is the best carrier for you depends on your needs and budget. The company offers flexibility in plans, 5G coverage in some areas (with more added regularly) and reliability. Features include Disney Plus and Apple Music. Customer service is available 24/7.

Is Verizon home Internet unlimited?

Verizon Fios home internet plans come in three data speeds with no limits on usage.

Does Verizon have 24/7 customer service?

Verizon customer service is available 24/7.

Is Verizon Unlimited worth it?

For customers who are looking for a wireless provider with multiple plans and customizable family options, Verizon Wireless is definitely an option to consider. Its Just Kids Unlimited add-on makes it appealing to parents, and, with high data usage options, it’s an ideal choice for large families or avid internet users.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

My mom got hearing aids a couple of weeks ago and was having trouble syncing it with her phone. A gentleman there by the name of Tavion was the employee that helped us. He was so very patient and kind with us. My mom doesn't understand a lot about the phone nor her hearing aids so she was very confused. He took the time to text and call her number to see if the volume was set right. He even set her ringtones like she wanted it. He had such a pleasant attitude. Just wanted to give him a shout out! WAY TO GO TAVION!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2022

Today, I spoke to Ms. ** from Verizon Wireless who helped me out with her diligent investigation into my upgrade purchase back in February. Fortunately, I was transferred to her to cancel my 20+ years of service with Verizon. Prior to being sent over to her, I spoke with internet sales (Britney) who was not privy to Verizon products and cared less if I cancelled and swiftly sent me over to ** to proceed with cancellation. Ms. **, Thanks for properly addressing my concerns! Looking forward to continue being part of the Verizon family! GREAT JOB MS. **!!!

K. **

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I had a problem with my flip phone. I was in Oregon at the time and so I took the phone to a VERIZON store in Redmond. They couldn't fix it, so they kept it and said I would be getting a new one in the mail. When it came it didn't have a battery. I took that phone to the VERIZON store on Treeline Rd. in Kalispell, MT. Thanks to Nadine and Tony and after a few days and hours with them on the phone to customer service and their great effort I now have a new phone on its way. VERIZON should be very proud of Tony and Nadine for all the hard work they do on a daily basis. And no, I'm not related to either one of them!!

Original review: March 24, 2022

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Elijah and the staff at Russell Cellular in Chester NY. From the moment I set foot in the store Elijah greeted me with a smile and proceeded to provide the best customer service experience I have ever had. I am 70 years old so I have experienced a wide range of individual service. Elijah is in a class all by himself! Focused, professional, knowledgeable, courteous, patient and an amazing personality. Purchasing a new phone usually causes me anxiety and confusion but Elijah turned it into the best customer service experience I have ever had. Thank you Elijah and the staff in Chester. I hope Verizon Wireless appreciates the team in Chester and especially Elijah.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I noticed a day before I was supposed to go to Hawaii (and still work) that my phone was no longer sending or accepting Text Messages. I panicked as I didn't want to miss a beat while I was away from the office. I went to the kiosk and was lucky enough to get Nick one of the best customer service reps I have ever met. Luckily he had heard of this before but couldn't fix it himself so he called IT/customer service on the phone and tried to tell them what they needed to do however they wanted him to try a half dozen other things first.

Once he did that we got disconnected. When he called back of course we got someone new. Explained the situation with them for some time until they did what he suggested and what do you know it worked. It only took an hour on the phone with customer service but he knew what he was talking about all along. I left there super relieved that it was working once again and just in time to catch my flight that evening. While we were waiting for Customer Service there was another man there praising Nick for working a miracle on his phone as well. We asked him if we could buy him lunch as he was a huge lifesaver for both of us and he declined graciously. I thought the least I could do is give him a shout-out on here and let Verizon know how lucky they are to have him as an employee. This was on 11/18/2021.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I'm very upset. I tried to pick up my phone from the store after I completed my order online. I gave one of the workers my state ID to pick up my order. After 45 minutes he comes back and tells me to contact the fraud department regarding my order. According to Verizon, my account was flagged as fraud and my order was cancelled. Called Verizon customer service a few times and no one could give me an explanation of why my account was flagged for fraud. What's more puzzling to me is that while he was back there I received an email to verify my ID. A rep informed me that he had reported my account as fraudulent. My ID was valid, but I was a ** woman picking up three phones for my family, so I had to be fraudulent. I have never experienced discrimination like this before.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

October of 2022 I was looking to buy a new phone and move from T mobile to a different mobile provider due to coverage issues. My choice was between ATT and Verizon. I had bad experience with Verizon from 20 years ago and I was not very keen to move to them, but wasn’t fully against it (as a lot of time has passed.) The issues I had before with them were random charges and billing problems. I spoke to ATT and Verizon representatives and decided to go with Verizon as they were offering me $1000 trade-in for my phone as a new customer and my bill was about to stay relatively similar to the one I had with T-Mobile ( $140+ to $150+). After some issues and problems and over $1000 in 3 months of bills and one time fees I had it. I went to the store to confront for the bills and for not receiving the box for my trade (to mail it to them).

In the store I was informed that I will not get $1000 but $160 for my trade, my online number (that I use for work) that they turned into a regular number is not going to be $15 as promised but $35. I was getting charge $17 for protection plan on my phone which I had said multiple times that I do not need. When I called for my work number I was reassured that I will get the discount and even advised to pay $25 monthly fee to protect my husband and my daughter phone and all our house electronics. I agreed because anyone who has a teenager knows that is always a good investment.

That being said when I went to the store to talk about yet another over the top bill ($90 over what I agreed on) I was informed that all that I have been sold and told is not real. That the $25 protection is only for home electronics any does not help for my families cell protection and that there is nothing that they can do about my bill. Verizon you lie, misinform and overbill people to get your numbers. There are no real consequences so you continue to steal from hardworking people! Shame on you!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I switched my company phones to Verizon thinking it would be an upgrade went with Apple iPhone pro max 13’s. First off it’s like a used car Dealership we’re not everyone pas the same. They tried to lock you in for as much money as they can get out of you but my main problem is the service is horrible. The Internet works about 20% of the time. Completely shut off, phone calls dropped, Constant no service, notification on my phone. Can’t do this because the signals down. Can’t use the Internet everywhere I go. It is worthless. Save your money. Do not ever spend a dime with Verizon. You will hate it. You’ll hate the service. You will hate the company. You will hate yourself forever switching to go to that company. I would’ve gave less than one star if I could. Customer service is horrible. They are literally a bunch of crooked thieves.

I was told my service would be excellent because of their 5G service but when I call their text and tell them the service down they said, ''Wait it will get better because our 5G is not ready yet in your area and that is slowing your service down.'' They recognize the problem but refused to refund any of my money. In short if you’re running a business you will lose money with Verizon because you will missed your calls.

Randal

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Let me start off with a simple question; If a company makes a mistake, should the customer have to pay for it? I think we can all agree that's an obvious no, anywhere else you go. Order wrong at the restaurant? They'll remake it for you without charging again, it's the right thing to do. Now let's see how Verizon handles this. I went to a store location to switch off of T-Mobile because we weren't getting good reception at home. Two trade-ins, one being valued at 350 and another at 750.

Here's where we find a lot of misinformation. They tell us that the phones will ship to us along with a trade-in kit, including a shipping label and a couple of mailers. This was not included in the package and they ordered the wrong color of phone for my fiance, which we took to another store and got exchanged. The promo was set wrong in the system when our account was set up and the device credit wasn't being applied. We call them up to get the promo fixed.

This is all very frustrating to deal with as this was within a week of signing up, and it only gets worse. Any changes made to your bill take 3 billing cycles to take effect. 3. Billing. Cycles. You have to pay the wrong price for 3 months and hope that it's correct on the 4th? What? I'm not made out of money here! Besides the customer service being useless and unhelpful to your situation, the cellular service is also garbage. Same poor reception in the place we were living. 5G start plan doesn't give you access to 5GUW (aka mmWave) and their plain "5G" gives you the same speed as full signal LTE. They also lie about the price of it, 60 dollars a month but it's actually 70 if you don't let them autopay. Our bill at the end was 165 a month for two lines, fake 5G and worse service. If we wanted full speed we would have to pay 185 for the next plan up.

We switched back to T-Mobile and couldn't be happier, our plan is a little over 140 a month, my phone is covered in the contract, our speeds went from VZ's barely 100mbit to 700 under 5GUC. Everything was a breeze to set up, we got what we wanted and the company takes better care of its customers. I can now get 400mbit in our favorite Mexican restaurant, we got nearly no signal in there on VZ.

I will never return to this company as a customer from this experience. Not once were we compensated for the issues we had and complaining didn't really do much because the company knows we're stuck in the contract and would have to buy our way out of it. I paid off the phones, disabled autopay and ported our numbers to T-Mobile that night, they still say we owe them 20 dollars but I am not going to pay it from how horribly they treated us. Take your business elsewhere, please.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

I have been having a issue with the data service and dead spots that I had not had the prior year and a half. So I filed a complaint to get someone from higher up to call to resolve the issue. I sent them a screen print showing I had .37 Mbps download and .09 Mbps upload speeds. They sent me an email and gave me a 6 hour window, 6am to 12pm Mon-Fri. I responded letting them know it was difficult to contact them during these times as this was when I was getting ready for work, driving to work, and working. I needed a couple extra hours on the back end so I could talk to them during my lunch break.

When I finally spoke with someone, I was told they would have their technicians run some tests and get back to me. 2 days later I received a call and was told there was nothing wrong with the system, as it was deemed reliable, and there was nothing they could do except to let me out of my contract. I asked them how the speeds I was receiving was reliable and they said "because you are receiving service it is reliable." So just because they have some sort of data "moving", regardless it is not the speeds they advertise, it is reliable. DO NOT USE THEM. Find another option.

Verizon Wireless Company Information