Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.03/5

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have had Verizon as my provider for the past 15 plus years. Up until recently I would have said stellar. I recently upgraded both phones on our plan because the online deal was unbeatable. I had to fight to get the trade in value advertised on the website. I copied the chat on three separate conversations before upgrading to make sure that I understand what I read online and all three reps confirmed what I was read and understood. When I didn't see the trade credit on my bill they stated that it said up to that dollar amount when in fact it did not. I had three conversation copied and pasted and they then told me that I could not rely on chat even though it was the sales dept I was chatting with.

The final rep finally got those credits for us after days of fighting and 45 min wait times to speak with a rep. In the end they came thru but I should not have had to waste days with hours on hold to get it fixed. I am again satisfied but in the future the company really should cater to the customer especially when they are long time customers who have conversations to prove her argument. Thank you.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I noticed that I was paying a lot more than what my friends were paying for monthly bills. I was not sure how to look up the details of my bill though. Went to the Verizon store in Concord, NH. They wouldn’t show me my usage or explain the bills to me. I was just told I should keep my unlimited plan because it would cost so much more if I went over my limit. I was also upgrading my phone. I wanted to buy a Mophie that attaches directly to my phone like a phone cover. The salesman said Mophie does not make them anymore and sold me a box full of items that I did not want in order to buy a mophie that is about a 3x3 inch box that you have to plug in to.

A week later I had a problem with the phone and they had me wait in another part of the showroom. There in front of me was an entire display of the mophie that I wanted. I talked to a salesman about it and he said they couldn’t do anything about it since I used the items. I demanded to speak to the manager and had to wait a half hour for his service. I told him I was lied to by his salesperson and demanded the return. He did give it to me. A couple of months later I went to Lakes Region Computer. They looked up my plan, explained it to me and found a plan that saved me $40.00 per month. They agreed that I was using only a portion of my plan and did not need unlimited. I do not trust the Concord store, they actually lie to customers, I suspect especially elders. Otherwise the coverage seems to work well in NH. I am a hiker and I need decent coverage.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Verizon unfortunately has some practices that drive me up a wall. Such as throttling speeds even when you are under the guise of an "unlimited everything" plan. I must admit my service for calls in my area is much more reliable than it was with competitor Sprint. My biggest pet peeve is the throttling of speeds. If I truly do not have an unlimited plan then do not price it as such. Phone prices seem standard but I don't see as many deals like buy one get one etc. Any deal I find for a new phone I can find usually cheaper at Best Buy or Samsung.

In store employees are sometimes not as up on issues that can arise for troubleshooting devices. Once I drove to 3 stores with a challenge and 2 stores said my, just out of warranty, $1200 phone had to be replaced. The 3rd popped out the sim card, put in a new one and the issue was all fixed. A difference of $1000 fix to a $15 fix. Sprint I found always had a true repair person in the store and I felt more confident in the troubleshooting repair process.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

My experience at the downtown Philly Verizon store was the best experience I have ever had. It was solely due to an individual employee named Luis. Luis was courteous, diligent, and respectful. I am traveling in Philadelphia from Minneapolis and my phone had a hardware issue rendering it useless. Luis was able to quickly assist me in making an insurance claim and having a replacement phone overnighted to my home. He humbly assisted with deactivating my find my iPhone and did so with a smile on his face.

Additionally, my flight home was 2 hours from that time and I was unable to hail an Uber without a phone but Luis had a solution. He hailed an uber from his own phone to get me to the airport. I have never seen such dedication to customer service and satisfaction. Luis’s energy is contagious and my experience working with him was unparalleled. He is the type of individual that would make a tremendous leader. The way he conducted himself is a model of what outstanding, personable, and caring service can be. Kudos to Luis and I want to thank you for greatly exceeding all expectations. Give this man a raise and put him in a leadership role. He will do great things for this company.

Sincerely,

A thankful Minnesotan

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: July 15, 2020

Verizon turned into a terrible company to do business with. They no longer care about customers. I've been a Verizon customer for nearly 21 years and now will be leaving this malign company. Their customer service is horrible, indifferent, and contemptuous of customers.

Original review: July 14, 2020

We have been Verizon customers for over 23 years. There is a dead area where our daughter lives and she is a first responder and relies on her wireless cell phone to be reached in emergencies. I have called numerous times to get a "booster" at no charge, only to have to hang up because I was on hold and transferred to the wrong customer service area. The last phone call I was on for over 1 hr and 20 min only to be told that someone would call me back when they received the approval. I did in fact get a phone call back only to be put on "hold" again because they are awaiting approval. I have now asked to speak to a supervisor and am currently on "HOLD"!!!! Is this what Verizon has come to. Frustrate the consumer enough that they just either give up or are so utterly disgusted that they change their providers.

Original review: July 13, 2020

We have used Verizon for about 15 years, and have had no problem with our cell service. It's been excellent coverage everywhere. However, in late 2019 we had went over our GB on our data, so we went in our local office to see about switching to unlimited data, and what the cost would be. The salesman said we could switch, and our bill would probably even go down. Well....it never went down. Before the switch we were paying about $250/mo (for 7 devices) in December and by June 2019 our bill had jumped to $348 with no additional services or add-ons. No reason why. Every month it goes up a little more, and a little more.

The local office has been shut down because of the virus, but the one in the nearby town of Lawton was open. We visited it this past weekend (7-11-20) to see if they could explain why our bill was going up. We had masks on as we entered the store, and the manager met us at the door. We told him we were customers and needed to talk to someone about our account. There was a handful of people in the large room at the time - mostly Verizon employees. He told us only ONE of us could stay in the building to visit with an employee and the other had to go to the car. We said no, we both need to be present.

Our account is a business account under my husband's name, so nothing could be done unless he was present. However, he isn't "technical" and doesn't have any of the passwords, or handles the account like I do, so I needed to be present to answer those questions. They refused to talk to both of us. Like I said - very few people were in the building at that time, so it shouldn't have been that big of an issue.

We told them that we would just go down the street and sign up with US Cellular if they refused to talk to us. The manager actually said that was fine. We weren't loud or rude, but if you won't talk to us to get to the bottom of the problem, we will go elsewhere. We left, and went to US Cellular, and got another account and it is less than 1/2 the cost of Verizon for the same number of devices we had on Verizon. So, it's their loss. We can't believe they let a good paying customer of 15 years just walk away. Virus or no virus, they did nothing to even try, or even act as if they cared. Bad customer service.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Verizon customer service in my opinion simply can not be any worse. 5 hours on the phone to set up 2 Verizon iPhones (already had SIM cards) auto-pay, and military discount. And we are not finished. We live in the Rockies, and Verizon is the only reliable service. But woe to anyone who has to contact them, either online, chat, or phone. You’re in for a long and often fruitless effort.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I'm late on this review but it is long overdue. Are you or someone you love thinking about switching to Verizon??? Do yourself a favor and DON’T DO IT. I thought Sprint ripped you off but my God I never thought the day would come where I would say Verizon does the same if not worse. They are scammers and they false advertise to get you to switch over to them with all these empty promises that seems too good to be true and low and behold they ARE too good to be true.

It was May 2 when my family and I decided to finally switch over to Verizon. Our Sprint bill was way higher than what Verizon had to offer and our calls always dropped. So after plenty of thinking and calculating everything. It wasn’t really worth staying with them especially when Verizon had the good old BOGO on the iPhones plus a $250 master card for every number you switch over from another phone company. I mean who would turn down a offer that great. And on top of that you get a free echo, unlimited apple music, 6 months subscription to Disney+TV & Apple TV, Unlimited talk, text, data,& hotspot. And a lower bill for each line you add. The more lines the cheaper the bill. I mean this offer felt like it was from heaven itself.

We spoke with an agent online that day to confirm all the deals that Verizon had and the agent even took the time to walk us through step by step transferring our phone lines and making sure everything was done correctly. We were all so excited and we had a wonderful plan since the first bill is always the highest we can use the $250 master card to put toward the first bill once we get it. Talk about the best day ever! I didn’t even care that I had to put down $1,000 for all the lines because in the end it was completely worth it (at least that’s what I thought). So our phones got shipped in everything “seemed” as though it was perfect. Until that is my mom started to inquire about the free echo and the master-cards that was promised to us. My mom talk to multiple agents for Verizon and all seemed to give her different answers and just the complete run around.

After finally getting a good agent for the issue they explained that once the phones was purchased we are suppose to go on a website and make some kind of rebate claim for the echo (which was never explained when we opened up the account with Verizon). Okay. No biggie. They walked us through how to do the rebate claim for the free echo gift and a few days later it somehow got denied. So again we had to talk to more agents and a very helpful agent was able to assist us saying that we had to change the date that our phones actually got activated not the day we purchased in order for it to get approved. Fortunately after all that it worked and we received our echo within 2 weeks thanks to that agent.

So then we still was confused about how the master card worked. Was it something that just takes longer to come? If so it’s understandable but again nothing was told to us on how that works and when we will receive it so we decided to inquire about that more as well and of course again we began to get the run around. But this time it was no happy ending. Agents searched and searched and looked and confirmed and promise we will get what was due to us (especially since that was one of the main reasons we switched over) and every single time we hit a dead end. Day after day talking to different agents and nothing. It was very stressful and frustrating. Finally to have to go through all of that just for Verizon to say we weren’t offering the master card at your time of purchase sent me through the roof. Especially since we have transcripts on top of transcripts with Agents telling us that it was offered at the time of purchase.

Then on top of that they tried to brush it off by deducting $75 bucks off of our first bill. Come on, you don’t have to be a math expert to know that this was complete robbery and disrespectful. We switched over three lines from Sprint which would’ve equalled up to a total of $750 in master cards. And you mean to tell me the BEST Verizon could do was deduct $75 off of our first bill after lying to us? Then on top of that when we asked for the corporate office information they declined and refused to give it to us. What type of business is Verizon really running here? I am seriously in awe over everything we been through within just the first month of switching to this company. I see why even Paul Marcarelli (from the “can you hear me now” commercial ) left you all and went to Sprint. I thought he lost his mind before but now I see you all just have a very shady business you are running. It’s completely unfair to people (customers).

Please people. I know this survey is lengthy but PLEASE SAVE YOUR TIME AND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND TAKE IT ELSEWHERE. HELL EVEN TAKE IT TO T-MOBILE/Sprint or maybe even AT&T if you have to but NEVER EVER EVER TRUST VERIZON ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE OFFERING DEALS THAT SOUND TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, because believe me, THEY ARE!!!

Verizon Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team