1.13/5

298 Telus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Let me start by saying that the only reason I got involved with Telus was because a cable and internet package was being offered for FREE as a lease-signing incentive at my previous apartment building. The service was included with the apartment, should someone sign a year-long lease. Just in case I didn't make this clear enough already, the service I agreed to was to be FREE FOR A YEAR. Telus made it real easy to sign up for the incentive. There was a number to call so you could leave your name, phone number, and suite number. I got a phone call back within a day, and a technician was setting up my services within a couple days. The technician was great, but I found out that he is just a contractor used by Telus, he was not actually employed by Telus. At this point, everything seemed fine.

Fast-forward a month, and I receive an email saying my first bill is $140. I assumed that was some kind of administrative issue that Telus would sort out on its own. After all, there was an entire apartment complex (400+ units) with the same services being offered. Fast-Forward another 2 months. I get another email from Telus telling me I have 10 days to pay over $300 in bills and no-payment charges or it will begin to affect my credit score. So now I call in, and I wait on hold for over an hour to sort it out. The man I spoke with couldn't figure out how to fix my bill. He could not wrap his around that I owed Telus nothing for the service. He eventually got it down to around $43. I paid it simply so my credit score would not be attacked. I hung up the phone in awe, that I just forked over $43 to protect my credit score from a service that was advertised to be free.

One month later, another bill arrives. This time I phone in and get someone competent on the phone who fixes everything for me and actually acknowledges that I had been wrongly charged. The stickler though, is that I had to wait 2 hours on hold first. Come to the end of that year long lease, I phone to cancel my service with Telus (huge shocker, I wait on hold for 2 hours again). At this point I have no desire to continue business with Telus if it is coming out of my pocket, as they had been nothing but a pain in my side throughout this "incentive". In my mind, Telus has now wasted close to 6 hours of my time, for a service that was supposed to be included with my apartment. At this point I am quite happy to be rid of the Telus headaches. Boy was I wrong.

Telus charged me another month after my cancellation, and they now mail you a box with packing instructions to return-ship their equipment. Well it's now 2 months later, that box has never showed up and I get another email saying how it’s my responsibility to return their equipment or I will be charged for it (at an incredibly high cost by the way). So once again I sit on hold for over 2 hours, to speak with someone incompetent. She basically just tells me to forget about Telus' box/shipping instructions and just to mail the equipment myself. But even though Telus never provided me the box and shipping instructions, I will still be charged for the late equipment return. So not only do I have to pay to return their junk, they will charge me late-fees anyways. They sent the email informing me that I will be charged a whopping 5 business days before the 'deadline' on said email. Amazing.

How is it possible for such a large company to conduct business so poorly. And the truly troubling part, is that they can use the threat of your credit score to force you to wait on hold for hours on end to rectify their mistakes. How is that even legal? To summarize my opinion on Telus I would say that their service is poor, their ethics are repulsive, their business model is borderline criminal, and they have without a doubt lost a customer for the remainder of my natural born life. Whatever service you may be considering with Telus, find another provider. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I closed my account with Telus in 2012 and lived at the same address another until 2016. Never saw a bill from Telus, as far as I was concerned the account was paid off and closed. Recently, 6 years later I'm receiving calls from a collection agency and emails that I owe Telus. I called and spoke to the manager and she has insisted that there's a balance owed on the account but cannot explain why they waited 6 years to make any collection efforts. Anyone looking for telecommunications services don't even think about Telus. They have ruined people's lives. Bad company, I pray they go bankrupt as rumors are going around. They don't deserve anyone's business. They fabricate Bills.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My Telus Prepaid status has always been in good standing. I had over $100 in my account. On July 24th 2018 Telus sent me a text message stating that on Aug 26, 2018 Telus will automatically enroll me in a monthly $10 a month plan and deduct the $10 from the funds in my Prepaid account. Please be advised that I did not ask nor request the above – Telus did this. Late Sept 29th I pulled my vehicle over to check my received voice mail from a relative telling me a family emergency has come up and to contact him at once. When I tried calling him a Telus message stated that my balance has expired and I can't use my phone. I immediately put my car in gear and things went from bad to worse.

I will explain this when I submit my statement of claim against Telus. I feel that Telus did this to me in bad faith because I'm a low priority customer to Telus. When I needed my phone the most I could not use it due to the bad faith greed committed by Telus – I did nothing wrong or in bad faith – Telus told me I am automatically enrolled in a plan and Telus was to take the $10 from my Prepaid funds. I did nothing wrong – this horrible situation I was put in was 100 percent initiated by Telus lying to me and cutting off my phone.

This is what I will do next. 1) Start a website to share my experience with others and encourage others in the same situation to consider a class action lawsuit against the purposeful bad faith actions committed by Telus. Add a GoFundMe web link to cover court costs. 2) Contact the consumer affairs departments of media outlets like CBC, CTV, and Global and explain what Telus has done to me in bad faith. Encourage viewers that have been treated like this to visit my website. Contact every consumer web forum. 3) Contact the CRTC and file an official complaint. 4) Contact an attorney to see how strong of a case I have against Telus' bad faith practice and sue for damages that will be explained in my statement of claim.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Telus recently purchased the phone and internet provider for our business. The migration to Telus is at 5 months and counting. 4 different reps from Telus have made contact and assured us that they will get it done. They continually offer more and more discounts. On the original install, 5 months ago, they did connect the internet, but the installers said they didn't deal with phone and that I needed to call Telus. 3 reps/5 months later, still no phone and no answers as to why. Also no bill or account has been setup for the internet that is running. I'm still paying the original service provider this whole time even though it is past their disconnect date. This is the worst service I have ever experienced. Most definitely a monopoly buying up all the small fish as they've also purchased my alarm provider recently. If I had any other option, I would take it regardless of price. The fight continues. :-(

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Totally frustrated with Telus. Received a text about one month ago saying that my 250 texts/$5 was going to be obsolete and I would be transferred to a $10 plan. I responded to the text (called in) and have since spent approx 4 hours on the phone with 2 different personal representatives. I have asked to speak with a customer service manager, but have yet to do so, even though I was told on 3 separate occasions one would call. I was told my phone would not work, you could no longer get the 250 texts (which by the way was for outgoing texts when I signed up... The last few months it is for in and out. Don't know when they changed that!) In order to keep my Telus number I needed to go to a $10 plan. For something that I don't need! As it stands... They gave my husband a different deal. He could keep his 250 texts for $5 but had to add 5 min talk for $3. I really think it is all a sham to sell! Greedy corporation... Looking elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telus?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I been with Telus now for years. I got a text today saying they want another 3 dollars a month to keep the plan going that I have. But I get another full 5 mins of talk time (60 cents a min) lol. Wow. Telus are gone to greedy. I have 3 cells through Telus. But at the end of this month I am so done with you guys. You keep the 3 dollars your stealing from people. I guess you need it. Lol. Worst company ever. I will never deal with you again. You are greedy pathetic company. I hope you go bankrupt like you should. Greed will get you nowhere. Im kind a glad you took this so I could get to the point where I don't want to deal with you again because it's been nothing but trouble from you since I been with you. Always take a bit a change here and there for nothing... Rest in peace you greedy pigs.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Absolutely awful service. I’ve been on the phone for nearly two hours nearly all of it on hold. I’m trying to find out why I can’t Optik TV where I live and have to rely instead on Telus’ terrible satellite service. I live a five minute walk from downtown Victoria, BC, not in the middle of the Northwest Territories but Telus can’t give me a coherent answer about its pathetic service in my neighbourhood. I’m also trying to find out why it took 9 hours to upload a video to Vimeo last week but they don’t have an answer for that either. The “customer service rep” put me on hold while he claims to be getting me an appointment but I think he’s hoping I’ll just hang up. Telus, I spend over $250 a month with. All you do is raise your rates for the terrible service you provide. The CRTC needs to intervene and force you to develop Canadians.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

If you buy any Telus home services, plan on spending at least an hour on the phone waiting for service any time you call. They do surveys, but do not bother to change their service. Try to find another provider that walks the walk of good, accurate, prompt customer service not a company that only talks the talk and then drops the ball EVERY time.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I called to inform Telus my brother passed away. To be nice I offered to pay his last month bill. I was told I also needed to pay a month in advance if I wanted to cancel the account and they would refund me personally as I was paying on my credit card. They decided to snail mail me a cheque! We agreed that they would mail it to my house address. I waited weeks and thought the check was lost and after thinking about it, thought what a dumb idea mailing a cheque, so I called them and request to be refunded on my card. They told me too late, the cheque just went out today. I confirmed my address with them. 5 months later no cheque. I called and asked where my cheque was. They said they mailed it to my Mom's house and made it out to my dead brother. So they got paid, I got stiffed.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The mobile app is always wrong when you check billing or data. During the day of my last billing cycle the data top ups disappear. No explanation! The data had 1.72 mb left at the beginning of the day on Sep 16, suddenly it was all used up. Why would this happen?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Because of their faulty equipment I spent over 4hrs on hold to fix their problem. No consideration of the customer. They should hire a ph co to do call backs but they don't care about customers only the gouging and stealing of our money. They are the worst customer service reps I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

5 month old phone (with warranty) shuts down randomly and reboots. Telus store rep says it is a "software problem". He could not duplicate it in store so pretty much told me to take a hike and nothing would be done. Had taken it back once already for same problem and it was supposedly fixed. Obviously not or I would not have gone back. Phoned the helpline but they want payment for a warranty issue. More like a scam.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

If you are considering Telus to be your internet provider and you live in a condo, think again. For almost the entirety of my experience I have been paying for a service I have not been receiving, all because of a key. The condo building, like most condo buildings, has their electrical closets locked. Each company is given a key so that they may enter and set up services for customers. After multiple technicians from Telus lost the key, my condo board was no longer willing to replace it free of charge. Telus, a multi-billion-dollar company, could not spare the change to replace this key for their customers and techs; this is where all my issues started. My condo board decided to still allow Telus access to our electrical closet on the premise that they go to the condo board office, pick up the key in exchange for ID, then return it at the end of the day. You know, to ensure they don't lose it again.

The problem is, the techs refuse to take this time to retrieve this key. This directly affects me because over the course of a couple months I have received a lesser, jerry-rigged version of my "internet" that costs $80 a month. My internet "75" is actually "25" unless I want to hop on one foot, touch my nose, and sing the national anthem every day to get maybe an extra "10". I contacted Telus in hopes that if I reason with them they may finally provide me with actual customer service, but unfortunately it was all for not. The tech they scheduled refused to get the key on principle, bitterness, and "liability". Not to mention the fact that he couldn't possibly see himself going mildly above and beyond for his job (we're talking mildly here like when a fast food employee gives you the extra fries at the bottom of your bag).

When I contacted the manager of Telus home services to state the technician had refused service, I was met with an attitude that said, "well nothing I can do about it and even if I could, I don't want to". Inevitably this all ended in me canceling my internet package. Turns out a requirement you need to ask before making a commitment to an internet service is how capable they are at not losing keys. Not something I would ask on a first date but maybe something I would now consider. This was a blatant display of two large companies in a key measuring contest and I lost.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My 85 year father moved to Calgary last June. At that time, I contacted Telus to let them know that my father is hard of hearing, cannot use a computer and that I was his POA. He uses a cell for emergency services only to call out in an emergency. When I spoke to them, I gave them my name, email and phone number and was assured that I would be contacted should there be any issues on his account. He was set up for Autopay with his credit card. After 5 months of sending his personal information to the wrong email address, and not taking payment on his credit card, they finally left a message on his land-line. My dad thought it was the bank calling because he couldn't make sense of the message.

I called Telus after I heard the message and found out that they suspended my father's account and took him to a collection agency because they couldn't reach him by text or by calling him on his old number from another province. The only information they bothered to record was my name and got everything else wrong. After spending the equivalent of a full day on hold (I am not kidding), they proceeded to argue with me about reversing the late charges and refused to undo the damage on his credit. Even at the Customer Retention level, they were unwilling to even consider that perhaps their staff did not document the information correctly despite the fact that my dad has paid his bills on time and in full his whole life.

Twice during that call, I was told that they could not reverse any charges because it was my 85 year old father's responsibility make sure that his bill was getting paid and, in their opinion, their staff could not make the mistake so we must have given them his old number in Winnipeg as a contact. After 4 hours of arguing with them, they finally agreed to reverse any late charges but still refused to fix the ding on his credit.

I went away feeling like Telus actually has no regard for Seniors or persons with disabilities and even though I explained what we actually had done in order to prevent any problems, they effectively called me a liar because it was unfathomable that their staff could have written something down wrong or left out a piece of information. There was no accountability on their end at all even after I asked them to consider the history of their customer.

They did in the end admit that there have been long wait times over the last several months to get anything resolved. I boldly suggested that they spend less time arguing with their customers, be willing to do ethical business and actually provide customer service instead of wasting everyone's time. This would go a long way to shorten wait times because they wouldn't have so many angry customers.

Anyone looking for a good cell provider? I have been with Telus since cell phones first came out and maybe I am just getting old, but I don't believe calling your customer a liar and ripping off seniors and persons with disabilities is a good business practice. Telus would definitely not be a service I would suggest even to someone I don't like. Shame on you Telus. I support ethical business practices.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I received a call from Telus offering my mom an iPhone 6 for free, unlimited calls, texts and picture texts. $45 a month. Receive the phone, with no SIM card. Then get the first month's bill. $280. I called Telus several times, to either be hung up on, put on hold and then hung up on, or put on a 4 hour waiting time to speak to someone. Telus totally lied about their offer, have overcharged, AGAIN. Refuse to admit their fault and fix the situation. I urge anyone on the fence about Telus, go somewhere else, their incompetence, lack of communication, and mis-information leads the customer to suffer hundreds of dollars of fees they should not be paying for.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have been a long time Telus customer. Over 2 years ago my services weren't working. After many promises and no change I changed my services to Shaw. All home services work great now. 4 months I have been waiting for a "manager" call back on my cell phone dropping calls and no response. Promised a callback yesterday and spent 32 minutes on hold today to have my call ended without a response, I get a text telling me to copy a link to online help and again instead of an agent it is an auto reply that says, "We will have someone contact you within 24 hours." Guess what. Doesn't happen. Yup a callback. I stuck with their service. In the past they were great. The last 3 years have been awful. I will not recommend to family or friends any longer.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I bought home internet with 75 mbps speed, but received half of it. I called them and the wait time is always more than ONE HOUR. This is so annoying and frustrating. I somehow tried to escalate the matter and could receive a call back from customer service after couple of days. They asked me to do something, and after that, my internet is working even slower. Now I trying to call them, the wait time is always MORE THAN ONE HOUR. Also, they misguided me about the TV Charges. I think Telus really don’t care about its customers.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My partner and I both bought and had a Telus mobile phone some years ago, we both tried Telus but within months, we had a damage claim to our phones and all we got was the constant runaround from Telus customer service outlets. Instead of honoring their guarantee to replace the damaged phones, they gave us nothing but arguments and stress, pressuring us to upgrade to newer phones and more services. How typical of notorious corporate greedy psychopaths to chase after profits before people's needs and concerns. We haven't been with Telus since, nor will we ever be again! Side by side with Bell from hell, another greedy shady money grabbing ruthless corporate monster.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I never had any previous problems with Telus, I actually enjoyed their home TV, internet and mobility services before the following experience. I was moving from Canada to the US. I made two calls to cancel my mobility plan BEFORE leaving Canada. I was assured both times that the pre-authorized payment for the next month would not be taken. Surprise, surprise! Both agents DID NOT perform their duties and of course the pre-authorized payment was taken from my credit card. Then in order to request for a refund, I had to make three more calls AFTER moving.

Again, those three agents just let the credit sit there, I had to make a sixth call to collections to request them to put the credit balance back onto the credit card that they took money from, when I specifically told them not to. Eight hours of my life wasted being on hold and three months later, I am told to wait three to five more business days to finally put this nightmare to rest. Fingers crossed! Seriously? Can no one do their jobs here? With two agents out of six doing what is asked of them, that's a 33% performance rate. So if you are looking for some recommendations for your company, perhaps replace 67% of your task force, since they are NOT doing their jobs. What an embarrassment and a joke of a company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When we first got this internet we were under the impression that we would be given a big discount as per the agreement with the landlord. After a few months we called in and were told there was a mistake and that we would now be given that discount. We then paid $10 a month instead of the $0 a month promise. After this deal was up they charged us a whopping $85 a month. We are 2 people who need about 5 eps each. We are fed up and feel scammed.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Never go with Telus services. Telus always mails separate billing statements for phones, fax and internet so the customer is not aware of how much they are paying in total for the month. Even after numerous requests, Telus did not combine the bills. Moreover, dissatisfied with their billing services, I moved my phones, fax and internet with Shaw. They are still charging me for the cancelled services. I have been charged for the services for Telus and Shaw for 3 months. It's disgusting that Telus did not port all our services to Shaw.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I hire the wireless service for my new place, I am already a mobile phone customer, and when the technician came and installed the service he told me I was on a two-year contract which I specifically said I didn't want to as I am moving out of the country. Now I am trying to cancel the service and the wait is longer than an hour. Deceiving customer service.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Telus is a big liar or some sort of dishonor company. They sent me an email to confirm the installation date and time, one of their agent even phone me a day earlier to reconfirm the service's schedule. I have had waited at home past the schedule time and no one show up. I phoned the service centre and being told they are unable to come for the installation. It is unacceptable excuse, they had sent me confirmation by email and follow up with a phone called prior the day of the services. They are very unprofessional and put me on hold for 45 mins until I hang up the calls. If anyone read this message needs to think seriously which services provider to be your next pick.

Original review: July 18, 2018

15 min on hold earlier and now over 10 - ** music, thanks not so much!!! And nobody answers the ** phone! HATE YOU AND WILL CHANGE IMMEDIATELY TO SOMEONE ELSE!!! Why has my television signal been lost? I have turned my Telus box off three times and still no service!!! Why does nobody answer? How long does a person have to ** wait??? YOU'RE A BUNCH OF ** CROOKS!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have been a loyal TELUS customer for many years until 2017 when I switched our cell service to another telco. I dropped internet years ago when their service attracted lots of junk mail the minute we switched over and their solution was to sell us a filter versus change the email address as requested. We switched to another service provider. Now home service costs us a lot per month and I see no need to continue this. Their service is poor. Voicemail and no response is their answer yet other companies can handle this.

In 2018 we found out that TELUS without any communication wants to install a large fiber optic cable output box on city property across from heritage homes and 20 feet from the main entrance to our neighbor. This will certainly reduce resale value. There back alleys and a city park that could handle this but they do not care. I care for my community and we will soon not be a customer anymore unless something changes. TELL US Y is all I can say.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Telus is a company that started as a phone provider. There is a multitude of agents to sell you their services. When you require customer service or changes to your accounts you can ONLY contact them by phone. However the waits times can exceed an hour and then they want to sell you more.

Original review: June 28, 2018

They do not answer phones, which is only way to contact them. Repeated numerous attempts for long, long periods on hold. They do not advise durations of hold times, nor do they offer to call back. Their stores will not accept cancellations of service. There is no address to email to or write to on their billings, nor online. Their apparent objective is to not enable customers to make contact except to sell new service. They have a virtual Monopoly. I wish to cancel my service and warn any other person considering their service to be very caveat emptor (buyer beware). A disgusting, worst example of corporate malfeasance.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I renewed my contract with Telus this year and bought a brand new iPhone X. I was very specific in my requests for my plan as well as to have AppleCare in order to protect myself from costly repairs. I renewed my contract thinking I had AppleCare on my new phone, and later after my phone was damaged and I went to get it repaired found out that I did not have what I asked. I have an email that shows the there was supposed to be a monthly AppleCare charge but because there's no amount per month on there they said I actually didn't take it. If they have the phone conversation recorded they would definitely know that I said I wanted that AppleCare. People don't generally want to spend 800$ out of pocket for a phone and not buy the protection plan for the phone.

I clearly told them I wanted it and now they have left me with nothing but a broken phone that I have to pay full value to replace. When I called into them they were much more concerned of proving how wrong I am and that I actually declined the AppleCare which is absolutely not true. I have been a customer of Telus for 10 years and this was not the first time they have caused me grief with their terrible lack of customer service. I also hold several business lines with them as well for cellular modems and they constantly make mistakes on the billing resulting in hours of phone calls to get it fixed. I'm completely dissatisfied with this company and this is the final straw for me!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I've been slowly taking our payments off "auto pay", and if you specifically have TELUS as an auto pay, I highly suggest you take it off. They owe us $800 from April, when they took $800 from our bank account. They wrongly charged us even though we saw it coming and called repeatedly to ask them to not charge our bank account. The mistake was 100% their fault and they own up to it every time. In fact we were so proactive that we were talking to them about the issue 2 billing cycles (so FEBRUARY) ahead of time to prevent this from happening. I've spoken to them over 12 times through chat and calls and even Twitter, and NOTHING has gotten down.

They repeatedly say the refund is being processed, and the next time I follow up, nothing has been done. ie: The last 4 calls I've made they've either said the money will go back into our account, the next time the cheque would be written, and this time, do I want a cheque or an EFT? Every single call has been full of promises, apologies and solutions that never turn into anything. We already canceled one account with them and it's likely I'll cancel this one as well. Just a heads up to anyone (who like myself), thought that if you were ever mischarged, it would be a quick fix, because it's not. Seriously. Shut off your auto-pay.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been a customer for over 5 years, having completed a 3 year contract with this cell phone provider before remaining on the same plan after contract. I have generally been a good customer and pay my bills on time. Last summer there was a mix up on my account due to me moving to new locations (time zones) with my employer, so my bill was unusually high. I called in but they wouldn't adjust the bill much, and I had to pay them the owing balance over two months. I found out nearly a year later that Telus decided to report me to Equifax for late bill payments. I contacted customer service for Telus, and was told they wouldn't remove the negative credit reference under my name.

I am so impressed with them that I am writing this review, and plan to tell as many people as possible about this. My credit history is damaged for years over a payment issue. Last month I was $3 overpaid on my account, and I am far from a bad customer or someone who doesn't pay their bills. I will be ending all business with them shortly. Very disappointed in Telus.

Telus Company Information