4.2/5 (142 ratings)

About Metronet

Metronet is the nation’s largest privately owned 100% fiber-optic service provider, offering symmetrical internet speeds of up to 1 Gigabit. We are currently serving or under construction in more than 120 communities in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, and Texas with state-of-art telecommunication services delivered through a 100% fiber optic network. We pride ourselves on our cutting-edge technology combined with industry-leading customer care. Metronet associates live and work in the communities we serve, and it is our goal to provide the best possible customer experience and support to those communities through sponsorships and participation in local events.

Pros

• 24/7 tech support
  • Student discounts
  • Multiple speed options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • No bundle packages

Bottom Line

Metronet is a large internet service provider offering fiber-optic internet, TV and phone service. Supporting cities in the Midwest and South, this company provides fast and reliable service with competitive promotional pricing.

Top Metronet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wow! Finally I've got outstanding customer service from both the call center and on site technician. We've signed up for a 1Gig speed under promotion for the first 2 years… Metron...

Verified

Channel selection was very good and I was very satisfied with it. It offered most of the premium channels that were available to the local cable provider. The cable service was ve...

What is Metronet?

Metronet is an internet service provider (ISP) offering fiber-optic internet, TV and phone services within the Midwest and South. The company is based in Indiana, where most of its subscribers reside, and is one of the largest fiber-optic networks in the country. All services provided by Metronet are delivered over its fiber-optic network.

Metronet internet packages range in speed from 100 megabits per second to 1 gigabit per second, while TV subscriptions typically include up to 250 channels. Fiber phone services are also available, providing a reliable connection and an improved quality of sound. Metronet also makes it simple to optimize your streaming experience by showing you free and paid services in one location.

How does Metronet work?

Metronet uses a fiber-optic network to provide fast, reliable service. Fiber-optic cables are woven with fine, hair-thin glass that transmit data over long distances. ISPs that use this technology install a panel that houses these connections and links your home to the network.

To sign up for Metronet’s internet, TV or phone services, you can go online call the company's customer service. Services are typically installed within 10 days of an order. A pre-installation appointment may be required ahead of the full installation. During this appointment, the technician will bring a fiber drop and a small box that will be fully connected at installation.

Metronet pricing

Pricing for Metronet services depends on your location, the package you choose and whether or not you're a student. Internet pricing ranges from $49.95 to $89.95 per month at the time of publishing. TV packages run from $25.70 to $104.83 per month, and landline phone services are available for $9.95 per month. These prices will increase after a 12- to 24-month period. Check Metronet's website for pricing in your area.

Metronet FAQ

Does Metronet have a data cap?
No, Metronet does not have data caps.
Where is Metronet available?
Metronet is available in select communities in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio.
What is Metronet streaming?
Metronet shows you a list of streaming services in one location to make sign-up easier. It also offers a recommendation tool so you can find the streaming services compatible with your interests. Visit Metronet’s website or call its customer service to get more information about services and prices.
How many channels can I get through Metronet?
Channel availability varies depending on your location and the TV package you subscribe to. Metronet typically offers around 80 channels for basic packages and around 250 for a fully upgraded subscription.
Is Metronet internet very fast?
Metronet offers internet speeds from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps. The low end is good for light browsing and streaming for several devices, while the fastest speed is ideal for heavy video streaming and gaming across multiple devices.
When is Metronet customer service available?
Metronet customer service is available by phone Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST. Technical support is available by phone 24/7.
Does Metronet offer discounts for bundle packages?
Metronet does not offer bundled packages for its services. Products are priced individually, with discounts available for students.

Is Metronet good?

Metronet is a trusted internet service provider offering fiber-optic services that are known for speed and reliability. Pricing is competitive, with perks like a streaming library and promotional freebies adding to the value. While there are some customer complaints, most are related to customer service issues or pricing after the promotional contract expires.

Metronet Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metronet?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Metronet needs to be better about advertising. I moved in in 2019 and just got internet this September. I would have gotten it way earlier had I known that it was fiber and only gonna cost 50 bucks, because all the other providers were minimum 65, which is what I'm paying with the billing fee anyways. I liked the options. I'm working from home, but I live alone, so I don't need that much. But to go from absolutely no internet to that was nice.

At first, my internet wouldn't turn on and Metronet had to send a technician to turn it on. I had it in the right spot, but they hadn't turned the port on and the technician had to go down the hallway and turn some other stuff on. There were some stuff I couldn't get done. Other than that, installation was easy. The guy was in before the appointment and out quick. He explained everything, showed me where everything was and how to work them, so he was very helpful. It went from, “Yeah. You just plug it in,” then I ended up needing a technician. That sucked, but at least the technician that was sent was amazing. That was one of the best service persons I ever worked with.

Overall, my experience has been good. I just got my first full bill and I was a little taken aback that they are charging for billing, despite the fact I have auto pay turned on. I wasn't too happy about that, but everything else was good. I would recommend Metronet because fiber is good, I like the eero app, and they are responsive when it comes to contacting. When I had to call tech support when I couldn't get it plugged in, I got to talk to somebody right away. Normally, I'd have to sit and wait.

Metronet response

Hi Taylor! Thanks for taking time to give us a review. If you ever need us, don't hesitate to reach out at 877-407-3224! Thanks for making the switch to MetroNet.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

MetroNet had access to my backyard so I got familiar with them and I switched over from the other cable company. But then, Spectrum gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. But later, I realized that their service wasn't any good. That was why they could give it to me so cheap. So, I decided that I was going to go back and stay with MetroNet because MetroNet is more modern, more sophisticated, and based on the experience I've had with the customer service, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I've had a couple problems when I was setting up as the line was damaged, then they had to come out and fix that from something outside. But I had to call and work with them three times and I was treated like family. Their people are above and beyond. They’re very friendly but very professional. They knew what they were talking about and everything they told me has occurred. So I’m very impressed with MetroNet altogether. They are vastly superior than my other carrier where streaming kept freezing and losing connections. They would fix it then three days later, we would be right back where we were.

With MetroNet, I've had a couple of instances, but it was not MetroNet’s fault. It was the equipment affected from the outside elements. But they always treat me with a great deal of respect and courtesy. In fact, they came over because I've lost the cable not soon after I got it and I found out that it was my little puppy had gotten into some of the equipment. And they were very gracious about it.

Then, I had trouble again when they put an underground line in where it goes from the pole to underground and one of the varmints that roam at night had chewed it. But both times, the tech support was superior. I talked to this young man named Dakota and I was telling him what had happened. He just took it on personally that he was going to see that this was taken care of and there was real concern. You can tell that they really want you as a customer. It's almost like old-timey business when you practically knew the customer’s name and you cared if they came back.

Right now, all I have is their internet service where I can stream. I had cable TV for a while, and it’s absolutely no reflection on the carrier whatsoever, but there's just not that much of interest to me on regular TV. With YouTube and my movies, I haven’t missed them. And when I switched over to this internet, the cost about doubled and I figured you get what you pay for, but it makes me smile to write a check on something that I know is going to be there tomorrow.

Metronet response

Hi Joseph! Thank you so much for the excellent feedback on your MetroNet experience. We appreciate your business and are thrilled to have you as part of the MetroNet family!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

MetroNet had a good offer. However, we were lied to a little bit by the guy who came, because he said that we could call in after the promotions and renegotiate, but they've never allowed us to do that. So that part's kind of lame. Also, they could be better with their communication with customers. When they first did the installation, they didn't have the equipment to bore underneath driveways and such, so they ran a cable all the way around our house. We were going on a month and a half of them not coming and burying the stuff when they redid it. It would be super helpful if they would just communicate when they plan on coming out instead of just leaving it and not telling us and having a cable running across our yard.

We used to have difficulties with the service and it disconnected a lot. But in the last six months, it seems to have improved. The promotional offers are great, but the price does go up and there are a couple of hidden fees that we were not told about. So, ask more questions when stuff's not right. This has not been the greatest experience.

Metronet response

Sorry for any frustration this experience has caused you. This is not what we want for our customers! I hope we have everything taken care of for you at this time. If you ever need us, we're here for you. Chat with us online at metronetinc.com, email us at customer_service@metronetinc.com, or give us a call at 877-407-3224. Thanks for choosing MetroNet!

Original review: July 9, 2021

I wasn't happy with Spectrum so I changed to MetroNet. As far as service goes, it's about the same. But the customer service is what made me change. I get customer service with MetroNet. With Spectrum, it was always something was our fault or they couldn't help us at a time, and they'd have to get back with me. A lot of times, we just get a recording if it was after hours.

We like MetroNet. We've only had it for about a month and a half, but we've had no trouble with it. There was no downtime. I've had to call one time, and the lady solved the problem pretty much within five minutes. They put the box in a room that is a spare room for my mother, and I wasn't happy with where it was at. I wasn't home when they put it in, and my nephew was down here. It was kind of my fault and their fault as well. I told my nephew to tell them to put it just wherever they thought it was the best place for it. Everything else we have as far as lines coming into the house comes into the main living room, and they put it in a far back bedroom. I never dreamed they would put it in the bedroom they put it in. The lady said if there was a problem, they'd just come out and move it from where it's at to someplace else.

The only other thing was, I had a bunch of stuff back there and they moved it. We do a major grocery shopping once a month, and I wasn't aware that it was back in that bedroom until I got home. I've got two deep freezers back there, too. They moved everything around my deep freezers and on top of my deep freezer. So when we got home, I was scrambling to get frozen stuff into the deep freezer. But it wasn't that big of a deal. I was just panicking because we got major groceries that’s gonna go on that deep freezer and I can't get to it.

Metronet response

Hi Burt! Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback! Yes, we would be happy to send a technician out to move your equipment if you like - at no charge to you by the way. Just give us a call at 877-407-3224 and we are happy to help! Thanks for choosing MetroNet!

Original review: May 31, 2021

I originally signed up for Lightspeed then MetroNet bought it. The people that called to sell it to me were very clear and explained it all. There was a promotion and then there was a little wrangling with figuring out whether I qualified for the promotion 'cause I literally called on the last day that you would be eligible. So, I had to call back and make sure they realize the timing 'cause when I first asked somebody, they said I was not. But I was told I was and because I made it on the last day, and they straightened that out. They said yes. After two payments, I got a Visa card for 250.

I signed up for auto payment, but it was on the same day it was due so it wasn't able to draw. I got a call saying I was overdue, and I didn't realize I was. The first warning was if I don't pay within 18 days, they're gonna cut me off. I told them that I plan to pay. At this point, the service seems fine and it is a nicer system. It's been running flawless and I haven't had any hiccups with it. I've told a few people already about MetroNet and the price and whatnot.

Metronet response

Thank you so much for the feedback and the five stars! We appreciate your business!

Original review: May 7, 2022

I was promised service for $69.99 plus a small amount of tax...no hidden fees. "Whole home wifi" was advertised as free for one year. Instead, then added $10 for whole home wifi and $10 for "Technology Fee." I tried to cancel and was told to take the equipment to UPS store, where it would be packaged and mailed for free, before my service could be cancelled. Unfortunately, I had signed up for auto payments from my bank account. Metronet's website would not allow me to cancel. Not only did they continue to charge me for the whole month, but they charged me $147, for service that was supposed to be $70 a month! I convinced my bank to block any further payments to them, or I don't suspect I would ever stop being charged.

Metronet response

Hi Michael! This is not how our cancellation process works and we apologize if there was any miscommunication about the process. Please chat with us online at www.metronet.com, email us at customer_service@metronet.com, or give us a all at 877-407-3224 and allow us to look into this for you!

Original review: April 26, 2022

I like MetroNet's services. The price is better. Also, I don't have extended periods of outages.

Metronet response

Hi Joshua! Thanks for sharing your Metronet experience and thanks for choosing Metronet!

Original review: April 16, 2022

The two gentlemen who came and hooked us up were very friendly and knowledgeable. I appreciated that. They were able to get in and out with not a lot of time spent. They asked if I had any questions but at the time, I didn't think that I had to re-hook up my Roku, which didn't work quite right after they left. But it works now. As far as speed goes, MetroNet is better than the previous provider that I had. The quality of service and the price are better too. People ought to try it out. We've been satisfied. If there was a way to give us some sort of cable status at a very low price, that would be a help. Because there are streaming companies who require you to have cable TV and I don't want to have cable TV again, per se. But if I could get something for X dollars a month that I find reasonable, that would help me get things like Fox News.

Metronet response

Hi Chris! Thanks for sharing your Metronet experience! We're happy you're happy!

Original review: April 15, 2022

A lot of times, I'd be watching TV and I would lose internet service. Then, all those times that they were fixing on the server or I was without internet, they don't deduct that from the bill. They still charge me what they say they're gonna charge me and I don't like that. At any given moment, I can be without internet and for that reason, I've considered going back to my previous provider. They need to do something about that because they’re gonna lose customers because of that. But other than that, every time I call, I get an answer and I speak to a human and they are cordial. Whether it be the office or troubleshooting, they are always nice.

Metronet response

Hi Pearl! Sorry to hear you have experience service disruptions. Our 24/7 technical support team is always available to help at 877-407-3224.

Original review: April 13, 2022

My internet connection is very good. I had an issue a month ago where the fiber cord broke. They came out timely and even brought an extra cord with them for if the issue happens again.

Metronet response

Hi Sheila! Thanks for the 5 stars and for taking time to give us a review!

Metronet Company Information