Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

MetroNet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetroNet?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetroNet?

Original review: July 22, 2020

In Lexington, we finally have fiber. I was worried when reading some of the reviews but that wasn't stopping me from getting the only fiber internet in the city. Previously, we had Windstream, which was actually not that bad at all. Reading through the reviews I haven't experienced ANY of this. We called to set up install, they were 20 mins late (which wasn't a huge deal), they ran fiber up through our attic down into our laundry room where a patch panel is. (for free, mind you). The install took about 4 hours (which I was expecting because all of the reviews I've read seemed to be about the same install time). It was between 1 and 2 weeks when they came to bury the line. I noticed there was a small area not of exposed line (not buried) where it comes out of my house and across the top of pebbles of the HVAC system. They have a form I filled out and took pictures and submitted and they were out a few days later and buried that.

The service has been great. We got 200/200 and I get 200/200 (regularly on all of my wi-fi devices (except one laptop). That laptop is OLDER and it just can't get those speeds because of the wi-fi adapter. I have downloaded so much and it's just keeps going with no issues. We canceled DirecTV and Use streaming YouTube TV instead. It's really amazing and I have had none of the nightmare problems that I've read about on here. But everyone's home and situation are different. Hope this helps.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Subscribed to the 100 Mbps plan - ordered on Sunday, picked up self-install kit on Monday. Customer service extremely responsive, sent me technicians to set up my connection on Wednesday. Speed is always consistent - 100 Mbps download AND upload with no disruptions! Excellent speeds even when used across several devices, including Zoom meetings, video conferences, and heavy uploads and downloads. Highly recommend! (Some of the reviews here almost scared me away, so I'm posting my own experience here.)

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I had gotten the service from Metronet in the end of December 2019. Canceled it end of March 2020. There were issues with the speed promised. Instead of 200 mbps it was ~50 mbps. That’s not even taking into account the three different times I had service calls to come and figure out why the TV receivers refused to function. When I finally decided to cancel their service, the address I was given to return the equipment was still under construction with no way to drop off equipment!!! During the whole COVID situation start and in April I would stop by the “under construction” building to drop off the equipment.

During this whole situation I’m trying to port my home phone number that I’ve had for 25 years while they blocked it. I called repeatedly, no one knew what was going on. Finally, I got a new phone number from a different provider, end up finding they sold my old number to a different company!! At the same time I get a letter from a collection company for the equipment and service that I canceled for over three months!! I finally got to return in the end of almost three months of stopping by when I randomly ran into a manager at the building site that was there by chance.... Their call center is subpar, they don’t give you complete information if they give any at all. After getting passed around when I call they can’t figure out why I’m frustrated when they don’t know what to do... I’m extremely disappointed in their service and in the outcome. I will contest any collection charges I get regardless of how big or small.

Original review: April 22, 2020

The only reason this company receives any stars is because of the product they offer regarding internet (fiber optic). It is more reliable then any other internet service I have had which at this time of working from home is what I need. I do not need companies like Comcast trying to sell me business internet since they can't provide reliable residential service (up-sell to satisfy a quality issue... that's Comcast!). Please note that Metronet installation was initially done incorrectly and they had to redo it, so I did have unexplained service interruption a year ago.

With this said, you MUST be very careful with your Metronet billing. If anything goes wrong, the representatives do not effectively correct the issues. To date, I am owed over 125 dollars and have tried Metronet's online chat feature, over the phone, in person (during COVID), over my account portal and with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Here is the billing story: I recently canceled TV service and they charged me for the TV and all equipment on the next bill which was issued the week after cancellation. The bill was $515.39 which they planned to auto debit from my bank account 15 days after the print date of that invoice. Despite the bill clearly showing they were billing me for a period AFTER my cancellation, I could not receive an accurate amount owed over the phone (would not address existing credit, taxes or prorated amount to effectively give me a total) or a proper address to mail my equipment to (I was actually hung up on by representative).

I finally had to physically go in to return my $330 worth of equipment (yes I was required to return my equipment in person during COVID).

Upon arrival, the Carmel, Indiana representative told me the math was simple, rolled his eyes at me, and proceeded to patronize me as I sat there in a face mask. All this was unnecessary, I could have mailed the stuff but there is no accurate instructions on who to mail it to and it would have had to be done by certified mail because, trust me, these people would screw up receipt of this expensive equipment. I then overpaid my bill online since the Carmel representative's simple math was VERY wrong and I gave up trying to get him to listen to me as he clearly thought I was a moron (maybe it was my face mask, since he was not wearing one). I knowingly overpaid my bill to avoid interruption of internet service (critical to my job) and then sought reimbursement through the account portal online.

Please be aware that while I was doing all this, I had a Better Business Bureau (BBB) complaint filed with them after I was hung up on by their representative. Metronet took the longest to reply of any other company I have filed a BBB complaint against. The BBB assured me they would reply, stating they ALWAYS do, which indicates a significant volume of complaints with the BBB. When Metronet finally did reply, they said they had contacted me and resolved all matters. This was not true, I had contacted them (after BBB complaint) both in person and online to avoid service interruption and late fees. At the time of me writing this, their response to BBB says the matter has been resolved, I have yet to receive my $125 plus they owe me (despite a Metronet rep email saying I am owed this) and they have not once reached out to me to correct this matter. All interaction has been driven by me.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Severely and acutely undervalued me as a customer and I will be switching back to Comcast as soon as the pandemic is over. I will be happy to use my hard earned money to pay for better customer service with another company. Who knew that customer service could be worse than Comcast?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

In July I signed up to use Metronet as my internet service provider. The price was good and the speed was good. While I've never received the speed I was told I would get, it's been plenty fast and hassle free. I signed up for a 500 mbps plan for 18 months at $49.95 per month. I was told on the phone that I needed to sign up for paperless billing and automatic withdrawals to get that rate. Ok. Did that. When I looked at my current service on their website, it said that my bill would be $49.95 and fees would be $0.00. You can imagine how surprised I was when my first bill came through at $49.95 + a $9.95 technology fee. The bill did confirm that I would have the $49.95 rate until January of 2021. I wasn't happy, but I paid it because it was still a pretty good rate.

Then, In October of 2019 Metronet changed the terms of my contract, adding an additional $10 to my plan, to go into effect in January of 2020. I thought maybe this was to correct the oversight of the undisclosed technology fee. It wasn't. It was just an increase in the rate. When January came, I was charged the higher service amount AND the technology fee, for a total of $69.90. Checking my service on their website still showed $0.00 for additional fees.

I contacted customer service about the discrepancies in the amount being charged, the change in the service charge and the application of undisclosed fees. They did send me an email with a document that is not available on their website that they say is what I signed up for. This was the first time that I saw it, and it was different from what the Metronet sales/service rep told me, and different from the plan that was outlined on my first three bills. I've had issues with other ISPs, but lying to me was not one of them. I will be switching to a different provider. I may not get as fast of service, but I won't be worrying that They'll change things after the fact, or that I'll be facing another undisclosed rate hike in a few months.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

While I cannot review the quality of MetroNet's internet, as I only had it for a few hours, I can say that their installers and customer support are terrible, with them repeatedly either making things up because they didn't know what they were talking about or downright lying. On the day they were scheduled to come out and setup my already working internet, they broke it, lied about what broke, refused to give requested updates, and over a month later I am still without internet. Here's the whole story:

On November 24, I scheduled MetroNet to come out and install a modem in the house I just bought the following day sometime between 12pm-5pm. On November 25, I arrived at the house and noticed the previous owner, who also had MetroNet, had left their modem. Not realizing they were supposed to return it, I plugged in and used it until 4:30pm when the previous owner contacted me and let me know they had to return it. I unplugged it around 4:40pm in order to return it. No technician showed up to install a new modem nor did anyone contact me.

On November 26, I emailed MetroNet's customer service asking what happened. I was told that there was no more room at the terminal to plug a new connection in. I explained that I did not need a new connection, but simply needed a new modem. The previous owner had not yet picked up the old modem and so I plugged it in and still had a connection. The previous owner picked up the modem shortly after.

On November 29, I was told that on Monday when the technicians were scheduled to head to my house, they discovered that someone else had moved into the neighborhood and another technician had unplugged my fiber because the terminal was full. This cannot be true, I was using the connection all day Monday, and plugged in briefly Tuesday and still got a connection. Now, I am a network engineer by trade and so I used my fiber detector to plug into the fiber in my house to detect there was still light coming through the fiber transmitting data (I need a detector due to the wavelength of single mode fiber being outside the visible spectrum). I informed MetroNet via the same ticket I first entered.

On December 2, I was thanked for the information and told it would be passed along to the network engineers, who were looking on a solution. I was not given an ETA despite the fact I specifically asked for one. On December 6, I called MetroNet's customer support and explained the situation. The support person I talked to said that my house was listed twice, once with the previous owner, once with me. This made the terminal appear full despite the fact it wasn't. The support person apologized, said she would note my account and scheduled an install for the following Tuesday, between 12pm-5pm. On December 9, I received confirmation that everything was set and a technician would be a my house between 12pm and 5pm the following day.

On December 10, I stayed at my house all afternoon and no one showed up nor did anyone call. At quarter to 5pm, I called support and was told that my fiber had been unplugged at the other end and that the terminal was full. When I tried to explain that my house showed up in the system twice, I was ignored. When I pointed out that my fiber had to be plugged in at the other end because there was a signal coming out, I was told that fiber generates its own signal. Uh, no... fiber needs an SFP (or SFP+ or QSFP, etc.) optic module at the other end to have a signal... hence the name fiber optics. I was told the engineers were working on a solution and would contact me within a couple of days.

On December 13, on received an automated email with a survey asking how I liked the service so far… On December 14, I filled out the survey, explaining that I did not have service and would be canceling on December 16 if I did not have an install date, or at least a logical explanation why it was taking so long. On December 16, I received a phone call that evening from MetroNet's tech support claiming that there was a failure on the back end and that they were waiting for a replacement part to arrive. While the tech did not give me an exact date, he did say it shouldn't be more than two weeks. I asked to receive updates every Monday until the problem was resolved, even if the update was "there is no update". The tech assured me he personally would provide the update

On December 24, I sent an email inquiring about the update I did not receive the previous day. On December 25, I was told that nothing has happened since last time. The tech also let it slip that the team that was supposed to working on it was refusing to return his calls. He assured me he'd provide an update the following Monday. That was the last contact I had with MetroNet, it's been nearly two weeks since I was promised an update.

Again, I'm a network engineer, things do happen, there are conflicts in databases, things break down, I get that. But breaking a user's internet on the day you were supposed to install it and not even making an attempt to fix it for over a month is not how you run a business. If a user's internet breaks, you fix it ASAP, even if it isn't the prettiest fix, and you have to go back through later to smooth out some things, you fix it. MetroNet has demonstrated that their installers are lazy, their tech support is willing to lie to their customers, and their engineers don't know what they're doing. They have shown they don't talk to each other internally, which explains why nothing is getting done.

If you're considering MetroNet as your ISP, find a different one. Even if there internet is great (and I don't know whether or not it is), you're gonna have to jump through hoops to get it installed. And even if it is installed, if something breaks you may be out for months without warning. If you already have MetroNet, I recommend finding a different ISP, quick. If something breaks down, you'll be out for months, and support will have no problems lying to you about why that is.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Two young men came to my home and signed me up for this internet service. I agreed willingly at the time because I am fed up with Spectrum and have been hoping something new would come to the area. However, these men said nothing about checking my credit and I did not authorize this. I specifically said I did not wish to provide my SS# on their computer device and they stated to my face it was to make sure I was the authorized person of the home to purchase service, not to check my credit. I get an email today that someone ran my credit and this was not authorized by me. Sneaky, terrible company. What will they lie about in the future?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I just got this service last month. I signed up for automatic payments, they never took it out. They charge a late fee and turn off my service. I tried calling customer service. Nobody ever answers the phone. I don't want to pay them unless this matter is cleared. I will switch to ATT.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We opened an account with Metronet the third week of August. Our conduit to our house was clogged and they indicated they would be back in 7 - 10 days to clear the conduit and install our internet. After repeated weekly and sometimes twice a week phone calls and numerous excuses we still don't have internet 8 weeks later.

MetroNet Company Information