4.4/5 (131 ratings)

About Metronet

Metronet is the nation’s largest privately owned 100% fiber-optic service provider, offering symmetrical internet speeds of up to 1 Gigabit. We are currently serving or under construction in more than 120 communities in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, and Texas with state-of-art telecommunication services delivered through a 100% fiber optic network. We pride ourselves on our cutting-edge technology combined with industry-leading customer care. Metronet associates live and work in the communities we serve, and it is our goal to provide the best possible customer experience and support to those communities through sponsorships and participation in local events.

Pros

• 24/7 tech support
  • Student discounts
  • Multiple speed options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • No bundle packages

Bottom Line

Metronet is a large internet service provider offering fiber-optic internet, TV and phone service. Supporting cities in the Midwest and South, this company provides fast and reliable service with competitive promotional pricing.

Top Metronet Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wow! Finally I've got outstanding customer service from both the call center and on site technician. We've signed up for a 1Gig speed under promotion for the first 2 years… Metron...

Verified

Channel selection was very good and I was very satisfied with it. It offered most of the premium channels that were available to the local cable provider. The cable service was ve...

What is Metronet?

Metronet is an internet service provider (ISP) offering fiber-optic internet, TV and phone services within the Midwest and South. The company is based in Indiana, where most of its subscribers reside, and is one of the largest fiber-optic networks in the country. All services provided by Metronet are delivered over its fiber-optic network.

Metronet internet packages range in speed from 100 megabits per second to 1 gigabit per second, while TV subscriptions typically include up to 250 channels. Fiber phone services are also available, providing a reliable connection and an improved quality of sound. Metronet also makes it simple to optimize your streaming experience by showing you free and paid services in one location.

How does Metronet work?

Metronet uses a fiber-optic network to provide fast, reliable service. Fiber-optic cables are woven with fine, hair-thin glass that transmit data over long distances. ISPs that use this technology install a panel that houses these connections and links your home to the network.

To sign up for Metronet’s internet, TV or phone services, you can go online call the company's customer service. Services are typically installed within 10 days of an order. A pre-installation appointment may be required ahead of the full installation. During this appointment, the technician will bring a fiber drop and a small box that will be fully connected at installation.

Metronet pricing

Pricing for Metronet services depends on your location, the package you choose and whether or not you're a student. Internet pricing ranges from $49.95 to $89.95 per month at the time of publishing. TV packages run from $25.70 to $104.83 per month, and landline phone services are available for $9.95 per month. These prices will increase after a 12- to 24-month period. Check Metronet's website for pricing in your area.

Metronet FAQ

Does Metronet have a data cap?
No, Metronet does not have data caps.
Where is Metronet available?
Metronet is available in select communities in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio.
What is Metronet streaming?
Metronet shows you a list of streaming services in one location to make sign-up easier. It also offers a recommendation tool so you can find the streaming services compatible with your interests. Visit Metronet’s website or call its customer service to get more information about services and prices.
How many channels can I get through Metronet?
Channel availability varies depending on your location and the TV package you subscribe to. Metronet typically offers around 80 channels for basic packages and around 250 for a fully upgraded subscription.
Is Metronet internet very fast?
Metronet offers internet speeds from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps. The low end is good for light browsing and streaming for several devices, while the fastest speed is ideal for heavy video streaming and gaming across multiple devices.
When is Metronet customer service available?
Metronet customer service is available by phone Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST. Technical support is available by phone 24/7.
Does Metronet offer discounts for bundle packages?
Metronet does not offer bundled packages for its services. Products are priced individually, with discounts available for students.

Is Metronet good?

Metronet is a trusted internet service provider offering fiber-optic services that are known for speed and reliability. Pricing is competitive, with perks like a streaming library and promotional freebies adding to the value. While there are some customer complaints, most are related to customer service issues or pricing after the promotional contract expires.

Metronet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metronet?

Original review: March 7, 2022

When the MetroNet sales rep came out here, he offered us a really great deal. Being fiber optic and we had unlimited internet, we could choose our speed. The service is great. Occasionally, the TVs will start freezing up. Sometimes it drops the signal, which can be a real problem. Our daughter has cerebral palsy and she likes to watch her programs. So, when that starts happening, then we have to put on something else like her Blu-ray player and she misses out on the programming that she chooses.

What I don't like is their prices are getting up equal and higher than what we had with Xfinity. So, that could have a big influence on whether we keep the service or if we go to someone else who becomes available in our area. We might reduce quality to save some money. We haven't really called and complained about it, but our monthly bill is pushing $300. We have the telephone, the TV packages and the DVR, and I've considered dropping the premium channels, but I'd only save $30. One thing nice about MetroNet is they pass on the charges to the people. What they get charged, they charge the people for their premium packages or for the premium channels. But then, their premium packages for television for all the other channels is where it really hurts.

Metronet response

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Please contact our 24/7 technical support team if you have any further issues with your services. Give them a call at 877-407-3224.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The rep cut me a better deal than Spectrum with a faster internet connection. Customer service was great. Less than 24 hours after mine was hooked up, ready to go, I got about three hours to use it. And then I had to go to bed and go to work the next morning. My mowing crew ended up cutting my line and customer service was able to get it all planned out, and had me back up and going in a day or two.

Ever since then, the only time I've ever noticed an issue at all with the internet is when it's raining and so it seems to run a little slower. Other than that, I have great service downstairs that picks up on everything. Upstairs where it's farther away from the router, it's a little iffy. But MetroNet is the fastest hands down. The next competitor would be Spectrum and they don't even have 1 GB internet here yet. MetroNet does and it’s half the price of Spectrum.

Metronet response

Hi Harold! Thanks for sharing your MetroNet experience. We would be happy to discuss how a WholeHome WiFi extender could help with any dead zones in your home. If you are interested, please chat with us online at www.metronetinc.com, email us at customer_service@metronetinc.com, or give us a call at 877-407-3224.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Metronet needs to be better about advertising. I moved in in 2019 and just got internet this September. I would have gotten it way earlier had I known that it was fiber and only gonna cost 50 bucks, because all the other providers were minimum 65, which is what I'm paying with the billing fee anyways. I liked the options. I'm working from home, but I live alone, so I don't need that much. But to go from absolutely no internet to that was nice.

At first, my internet wouldn't turn on and Metronet had to send a technician to turn it on. I had it in the right spot, but they hadn't turned the port on and the technician had to go down the hallway and turn some other stuff on. There were some stuff I couldn't get done. Other than that, installation was easy. The guy was in before the appointment and out quick. He explained everything, showed me where everything was and how to work them, so he was very helpful. It went from, “Yeah. You just plug it in,” then I ended up needing a technician. That sucked, but at least the technician that was sent was amazing. That was one of the best service persons I ever worked with.

Overall, my experience has been good. I just got my first full bill and I was a little taken aback that they are charging for billing, despite the fact I have auto pay turned on. I wasn't too happy about that, but everything else was good. I would recommend Metronet because fiber is good, I like the eero app, and they are responsive when it comes to contacting. When I had to call tech support when I couldn't get it plugged in, I got to talk to somebody right away. Normally, I'd have to sit and wait.

Metronet response

Hi Taylor! Thanks for taking time to give us a review. If you ever need us, don't hesitate to reach out at 877-407-3224! Thanks for making the switch to MetroNet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

MetroNet had access to my backyard so I got familiar with them and I switched over from the other cable company. But then, Spectrum gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. But later, I realized that their service wasn't any good. That was why they could give it to me so cheap. So, I decided that I was going to go back and stay with MetroNet because MetroNet is more modern, more sophisticated, and based on the experience I've had with the customer service, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I've had a couple problems when I was setting up as the line was damaged, then they had to come out and fix that from something outside. But I had to call and work with them three times and I was treated like family. Their people are above and beyond. They’re very friendly but very professional. They knew what they were talking about and everything they told me has occurred. So I’m very impressed with MetroNet altogether. They are vastly superior than my other carrier where streaming kept freezing and losing connections. They would fix it then three days later, we would be right back where we were.

With MetroNet, I've had a couple of instances, but it was not MetroNet’s fault. It was the equipment affected from the outside elements. But they always treat me with a great deal of respect and courtesy. In fact, they came over because I've lost the cable not soon after I got it and I found out that it was my little puppy had gotten into some of the equipment. And they were very gracious about it.

Then, I had trouble again when they put an underground line in where it goes from the pole to underground and one of the varmints that roam at night had chewed it. But both times, the tech support was superior. I talked to this young man named Dakota and I was telling him what had happened. He just took it on personally that he was going to see that this was taken care of and there was real concern. You can tell that they really want you as a customer. It's almost like old-timey business when you practically knew the customer’s name and you cared if they came back.

Right now, all I have is their internet service where I can stream. I had cable TV for a while, and it’s absolutely no reflection on the carrier whatsoever, but there's just not that much of interest to me on regular TV. With YouTube and my movies, I haven’t missed them. And when I switched over to this internet, the cost about doubled and I figured you get what you pay for, but it makes me smile to write a check on something that I know is going to be there tomorrow.

Metronet response

Hi Joseph! Thank you so much for the excellent feedback on your MetroNet experience. We appreciate your business and are thrilled to have you as part of the MetroNet family!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

MetroNet had a good offer. However, we were lied to a little bit by the guy who came, because he said that we could call in after the promotions and renegotiate, but they've never allowed us to do that. So that part's kind of lame. Also, they could be better with their communication with customers. When they first did the installation, they didn't have the equipment to bore underneath driveways and such, so they ran a cable all the way around our house. We were going on a month and a half of them not coming and burying the stuff when they redid it. It would be super helpful if they would just communicate when they plan on coming out instead of just leaving it and not telling us and having a cable running across our yard.

We used to have difficulties with the service and it disconnected a lot. But in the last six months, it seems to have improved. The promotional offers are great, but the price does go up and there are a couple of hidden fees that we were not told about. So, ask more questions when stuff's not right. This has not been the greatest experience.

Metronet response

Sorry for any frustration this experience has caused you. This is not what we want for our customers! I hope we have everything taken care of for you at this time. If you ever need us, we're here for you. Chat with us online at metronetinc.com, email us at customer_service@metronetinc.com, or give us a call at 877-407-3224. Thanks for choosing MetroNet!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I had my service installed in March with the promise that the line would be buried as soon as the weather improved. It's now September and the line is still not buried. Since installation the line has been broken twice resulting in days of outage. I have called a dozen times and begged them to bury the line. They really couldn't care less about me as a customer. They continue to promise and never actually do anything. After the most recent break they reinstalled a line that was too short, so it's currently running over my driveway. This was supposed to be a temporary fix (a month ago now). Is there any point in calling them? None. They don't care.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I canceled. I'm still waiting on the retribution for the money that Metronet owes me. Also, the effectiveness of the delivery wasn't that thorough. Other than that, the personal experience was great.

Metronet response

Hi Tyler! Thanks for sharing your experience. We would like to look into this for you. Give us a call at 877-407-3224 and we can check on the status of your refund.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I wish they’d give us some kind of discount for teachers.

Metronet response

Hi George! Thanks for taking time to share your suggestion. We will pass this along to the appropriate department. Thank you for choosing Metronet!

Original review: July 12, 2022

Anytime I've had an issue with the service, the customer service is amazing. I just the customer service member and tell them what's going on and they send somebody out and they fix it. MetroNet gets it knocked out quickly. The internet speed is great because I have teenagers and a boyfriend, and they play that new Xbox X and there's no lag time on the games. Also, and I work from home. It doesn't interrupt with my laptop or cell phones. The internet speed I'm paying for is amazing. Sign up for it.

Metronet response

Hi Bethany! Thanks for taking time to share your Metronet experience. We're so glad you are happy with your service and speeds!

Original review: July 11, 2022

I'm satisfied with everything. The cost is reasonable compared to others for the amount of power. The plan is very good and it's the best service that's offered in this area. The installation and customer service, when I've had to call, are fine. Also, there were few outages. Since we weren't in the home for a month, MetroNet held our subscription for $5 a month, and reconnected it when we got back in. They were very accommodating.

Metronet response

Hi Kathryn! Thanks for sharing you experience and thanks for choosing Metronet!

Metronet Company Information