Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

MetroNet Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2019

Wow! Finally I've got an outstanding customer service from both the call center and on site technician. We've signed up for a 1Gig speed under promotion for the first 2 years, but after promotion period was over we noticed our bill go up, as expected, however, we also noticed that our internet is not fast either. I knew that there is some speed drop due to wireless transmission and how far the devices are from router, but everything was getting around 250 Mb or so when we tested it at first right after the install, and we were fine with that, but it wasn't a case recently (1.5 year later). So, after contacting customer support via email, MetroNet people responded very promptly and politely. After few emails back and forth we've scheduled a tech to come out to see why are we not getting what we pay for.

Tech was knowledgeable and of good manners, pleasure to work with. He suggested we drop our speed to 500Mb service and use the savings to install their mesh system (signal amplifiers at around $7 per month) to bust the signal in far corners of the house. Boy, I am so pleased with how it's all working around our house now. We went further and actually dropped to 200Mb service, since this is really plenty of speed as long as it's consistent. And we do get speed very close to 200Mb almost everywhere in our house wireless. Please keep the plank up just as you've set it!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I wanted to reward MetroNet for wiring up our town (Plainfield, IL) and punish Comcast (who have been ripping me off as one entity or another for over two decades). So once my contract with Comcast was up I decided to give them a try. Subscribed to the 500/500 plan, because let's be honest getting a gig is like shooting a mouse with a 50 cal. Lady was friendly, she warned me she was going to do a hard pull off my credit which I authorized. Installer came out, did a very professional install job, service is great so far. Getting about 470s/500 on speedtest.net. So far happy with the service. I will update if things change.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Well, to start, I’d have to say that they would have had to be really horrible to beat my experience with AT&T after getting dial up speeds for a year from them. Anywho, we’ve had a few problems since we got service but several of those problems were easily solved when John ** came out to save people and hunt things (like WiFi problems???? If you don’t get it you’re not meant to). He was great! We have had very few problems since the second time he came (the first time he tried a new router and we gave that a shot before calling back). Since he recommended hardwiring our tv to the router and deleting our non 5g networks off our phones we hadn’t had any more issues until this past week.

The last week it has been a new issue where I’ll be reading an article on my phone or playing a game and signal will just disappear. It drops completely out and then comes back a couple minutes later. So I called them again Tuesday. Pretty much as soon as I called the issue “seemed” to disappear (we’ll see if it happens again anytime soon) but I received a message from Amanda that she had issued us a credit for the issues we’ve been having! Our old company would never have done that! And we literally got DIAL UP speeds!!! So thank you MetroNet! For putting the customer first! Please keep up the good work! We are definitely happy customers!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

While I cannot review the quality of MetroNet's internet, as I only had it for a few hours, I can say that their installers and customer support are terrible, with them repeatedly either making things up because they didn't know what they were talking about or downright lying. On the day they were scheduled to come out and setup my already working internet, they broke it, lied about what broke, refused to give requested updates, and over a month later I am still without internet. Here's the whole story:

On November 24, I scheduled MetroNet to come out and install a modem in the house I just bought the following day sometime between 12pm-5pm. On November 25, I arrived at the house and noticed the previous owner, who also had MetroNet, had left their modem. Not realizing they were supposed to return it, I plugged in and used it until 4:30pm when the previous owner contacted me and let me know they had to return it. I unplugged it around 4:40pm in order to return it. No technician showed up to install a new modem nor did anyone contact me.

On November 26, I emailed MetroNet's customer service asking what happened. I was told that there was no more room at the terminal to plug a new connection in. I explained that I did not need a new connection, but simply needed a new modem. The previous owner had not yet picked up the old modem and so I plugged it in and still had a connection. The previous owner picked up the modem shortly after.

On November 29, I was told that on Monday when the technicians were scheduled to head to my house, they discovered that someone else had moved into the neighborhood and another technician had unplugged my fiber because the terminal was full. This cannot be true, I was using the connection all day Monday, and plugged in briefly Tuesday and still got a connection. Now, I am a network engineer by trade and so I used my fiber detector to plug into the fiber in my house to detect there was still light coming through the fiber transmitting data (I need a detector due to the wavelength of single mode fiber being outside the visible spectrum). I informed MetroNet via the same ticket I first entered.

On December 2, I was thanked for the information and told it would be passed along to the network engineers, who were looking on a solution. I was not given an ETA despite the fact I specifically asked for one. On December 6, I called MetroNet's customer support and explained the situation. The support person I talked to said that my house was listed twice, once with the previous owner, once with me. This made the terminal appear full despite the fact it wasn't. The support person apologized, said she would note my account and scheduled an install for the following Tuesday, between 12pm-5pm. On December 9, I received confirmation that everything was set and a technician would be a my house between 12pm and 5pm the following day.

On December 10, I stayed at my house all afternoon and no one showed up nor did anyone call. At quarter to 5pm, I called support and was told that my fiber had been unplugged at the other end and that the terminal was full. When I tried to explain that my house showed up in the system twice, I was ignored. When I pointed out that my fiber had to be plugged in at the other end because there was a signal coming out, I was told that fiber generates its own signal. Uh, no... fiber needs an SFP (or SFP+ or QSFP, etc.) optic module at the other end to have a signal... hence the name fiber optics. I was told the engineers were working on a solution and would contact me within a couple of days.

On December 13, on received an automated email with a survey asking how I liked the service so far… On December 14, I filled out the survey, explaining that I did not have service and would be canceling on December 16 if I did not have an install date, or at least a logical explanation why it was taking so long. On December 16, I received a phone call that evening from MetroNet's tech support claiming that there was a failure on the back end and that they were waiting for a replacement part to arrive. While the tech did not give me an exact date, he did say it shouldn't be more than two weeks. I asked to receive updates every Monday until the problem was resolved, even if the update was "there is no update". The tech assured me he personally would provide the update

On December 24, I sent an email inquiring about the update I did not receive the previous day. On December 25, I was told that nothing has happened since last time. The tech also let it slip that the team that was supposed to working on it was refusing to return his calls. He assured me he'd provide an update the following Monday. That was the last contact I had with MetroNet, it's been nearly two weeks since I was promised an update.

Again, I'm a network engineer, things do happen, there are conflicts in databases, things break down, I get that. But breaking a user's internet on the day you were supposed to install it and not even making an attempt to fix it for over a month is not how you run a business. If a user's internet breaks, you fix it ASAP, even if it isn't the prettiest fix, and you have to go back through later to smooth out some things, you fix it. MetroNet has demonstrated that their installers are lazy, their tech support is willing to lie to their customers, and their engineers don't know what they're doing. They have shown they don't talk to each other internally, which explains why nothing is getting done.

If you're considering MetroNet as your ISP, find a different one. Even if there internet is great (and I don't know whether or not it is), you're gonna have to jump through hoops to get it installed. And even if it is installed, if something breaks you may be out for months without warning. If you already have MetroNet, I recommend finding a different ISP, quick. If something breaks down, you'll be out for months, and support will have no problems lying to you about why that is.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Two young men came to my home and signed me up for this internet service. I agreed willingly at the time because I am fed up with Spectrum and have been hoping something new would come to the area. However, these men said nothing about checking my credit and I did not authorize this. I specifically said I did not wish to provide my SS# on their computer device and they stated to my face it was to make sure I was the authorized person of the home to purchase service, not to check my credit. I get an email today that someone ran my credit and this was not authorized by me. Sneaky, terrible company. What will they lie about in the future?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetroNet?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I just got this service last month. I signed up for automatic payments, they never took it out. They charge a late fee and turn off my service. I tried calling customer service. Nobody ever answers the phone. I don't want to pay them unless this matter is cleared. I will switch to ATT.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We opened an account with Metronet the third week of August. Our conduit to our house was clogged and they indicated they would be back in 7 - 10 days to clear the conduit and install our internet. After repeated weekly and sometimes twice a week phone calls and numerous excuses we still don't have internet 8 weeks later.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Worst customer service of any company ever!!!! Tried for 2 months to cancel my service and they REFUSED TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT and continued to bill me. They refused to credit my account for the unused service for a home I did not live in, no data or cable was used at all during the 2 months. I suggest to go through any other cable/internet provider because they will all be better than this company. Tried to talk to a supervisor multiple times, every time was told I would receive a call back, not one time did I ever receive a call back.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. I called Comcast with Joy once I heard Metronet was coming to DeKalb. I cancelled my service and my cell phones (so I had to make some financial adjustments as well, no worries because I was intended to be very happy with Metronet). They were almost 3 months late on install, that's right. I cannot even make that up. I received every excuse in the book. Finally out of nowhere one day, we get the call to call them and well schedule our professional tech out there, I was excited!!

The professional tech was barely able to speak Russian who was not with Metronet at all. People Metronet-like Comcast DOES NOT do their own installs. They hire out a 3rd party, and I must say they are very unprofessional. I am envious of some of these pictures of wires in the ground because our tech was so lazy he slapped them on the side of our house bundled up behind my foliage, it looks so cheesy and redneck.

People this is JUST the beginning... after making 5 or six calls finally they agreed to come back out and fix the issue not just with the wires but the speeds. I ordered was supposed to be 1 gig. I was getting 250 wireless which you should get at least 500mbps, and wired I was getting about the same closer to 300. The second guy comes out, looks at everything, DOESNT fix the wires, and tells us things look good, after leaving I checked when I got home, and things were anything but good, the speeds still slow and no one cared to fix the wires. The tech said they were Comcast wires which is a downright lie.

After going back and forth with customer service which is not as bad as Comcast I might add, they thought to give me credit, and send another (this time) Metronet tech, not a 3rd party., this I was excited finally was going to get this fixed. So the agenda to fix everything was to get the extenders. They said I didn't need in the first place that I had originally ordered, fix my bedroom. At the far end of the house movies were buffering and was getting about 10mbps, ((I kid you not)) so I got home and I couldn't believe it. They put in their extenders and NOW I'm running on wireless 150mbps, and the techs exact words were, "I'm sorry I do not about the other side of your house. It is like a porthole, we can get nothing", it NOW it's worse than before, and now I'm buffering in my main point of the house for my webinars on Saturday morning. Needless to say, I'm getting frustrated, as I am sure you the reader are getting that way as well just reading this.

So I call them from work telling their customer service this isn't working too well so they give me a credit. So far now I have over 100.00 in credits, but the thing is I do not want credits. I just want what we agreed upon. So I invest about 30 min going over my concerns and Matt assures me this will be the final time (I liked Matt but Matt didn't run this company) and again we see Metronet showing how they appreciate a customer, scheduling a appointment between 8-12, gets there right at 8, came in, looked at everything, tried to give me the runaround about how wi-fi is not guaranteed, went over to look in my room, and said, "We will need to drill, and that will be 85.00".

I almost at that time threw him out of the house but continued to reason with him considering all the drama they have put us through, he said, "You know you are making a good point. Let me call my supervisor", he went out in the truck. I left for work, and when I get home I hear the guy said the supervisor said he will call us, nothing done with the wires, the bedroom, or the overall speed. 4 days later NO ONE called..

I called the savvy team of specialist at Metronet to hear apologies, and let's schedule a technician out there, I cannot believe this but to follow suit metro sets the appointment, I stayed home from work to meet a 12-5 apt, 4 oclock no one there so I decided to call them, dispatcher tell tech they will call back. Finally I get a call from Coy, dispatch at Metronet. This man had no idea who he is dealing with and tried to play the psychological card on me, this is where I started to lose my cool, he was telling me that they would not be out till about 6:30, in so many words I said this is unacceptable. Told him I would expect to see them here and he hung up. I do admit I said, **, and goddamn, but at this time I am getting really mad and feel now they do not care about my business, so he just hung up.

6:30 passes. I call metro net at 7:pm. I get this snowflake telling me it's just him and Rhonda taking calls in the call centre in Paduka KY, ((are you kidding me?)) 2 people taking calls. So before I managed to hang up with this snowflake (I forgot his name) he reads me everything. The dispatcher COY said, "Wow Coy is a liar." He said I told him **, which is a lie, because we NEVER make things personal, it's just business. The reason metro sucks is that they cannot handle the calls. They are understaffed, DO NOT USE this company, you will be no different, They lie.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Updated on 10/03/2019: Following up on a recent review for MetroNet service being intermittent and not being able to get a service tech out for over 3 months. They ensured me that the tech would be out between 4 and 7 today to fix my service. Again I want to clarify that when my internet works it’s fast but that’s only when it works. 7 came along and no tech. Called the 1877 number and they said the tech was just finishing up another job and he came at 8pm. Here’s where things go horribly wrong.

We literally just got new carpet today and I asked for him to take his shoes off. Instead he wore shoes covers which isn’t a big deal but I’m the customer and you should take your shoes off when asked to. Spent about half an hour and said there was a fracture in the line and that the box looked like it was jammed into the holder which may have caused the break in the line. He then got up and started to walk out while saying, "You are good to go. Have a good night". We thanked him and then looked at where he was working and boom grease stain from his tools laying on the new carpet. MetroNet did say they will resolve the issue tomorrow but I would ask for your tech (if they ever come) to lay his bag and tools on a towel and not the floor. Left this review trying to be as calm as possible and inform customers so they don’t have to go through what we are going through.

Original review: Trying my hardest to give them more than 1 star at this point. I will say this, most people I talk to say they have had stellar service with MetroNet. I on the other hand have not had much of any service. Our service is typically out half the day and then will just randomly come back on. I. e. contacted the home office where we live and have said they will send someone out and they never did. We have cameras and I’ve checked for when they said they came out and nobody showed up. I set up an appointment for tomorrow from the corporate line and they ensured me they would come out to see what’s going on.

We have had the service for 4-5 months and it seems to go out every day after the first week of having it. When it does work it’s fast at sending large files but that doesn’t make up for not being able to connect when it’s most important to. I would honestly give 4 stars for how fast it is but always getting the run around and it never working has been more of a hassle than anything. Be cautious and I recommend working with the 1-800 number over your local dealer. Good luck and I hope you have better luck than I did.

Not sure about MetroNet?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

MetroNet Company Information