1.24/5
  • 1 star
Based on 186 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cable ONE

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

193 Cable ONE Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

They are the only choice for cable bundling/internet in my town. The internet is interrupted 5-6 times per day. Cannot live stream on television or use Netflix or similar service, but can do it on my Verizon and AT&T phone and iPad.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Almost, every month, the same thing I either, can't get into my mail, or check my bandwidth. Either, my password, doesn't work for a while, or the calculation is not updated. And, here, I went and increased the amount of internet, this month. I guess, I really do need a new internet company. I sure hate that too, as I really enjoy the service, when I can use it. Just, too good to be true, I guess. Disappointed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I've been a Cable One customer for over two years, and I receive my internet through their company. I pay $105 every month for internet, and I am dissatisfied with this company for several reasons. I am supposed to be getting speeds up to 200 mbps per second, but when I am streaming a show on television I often end up waiting because it keeps buffing. This should not be possible with internet that is supposed to be this fast.

Also, they have a stingy data plan for this day of age where the internet is an integral part of our everyday life. I was forced to go to a data plan that will cost me $130 every month, even though they just recently changed the current plan that I'm on to have enough data that I would no longer be going into overages, but the customer service representative wouldn't let me keep my current plan. I am going to cancel my service and go with a local service provider. I do not recommend anyone get Cable One for internet, because they are way overpriced, and they have horrible customer service. I will continue to let everyone I know to stay away from Cable One.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Unfortunately this company has the fastest internet service and also offers a landline. Phone service with any mobile service results in "service holes" so landline is needed. We are stuck with this cable service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The Cable ONE internet for my location is down more than it is up. The cost I pay already sucks to begin with. Their only excuses are it's because of microwaves, fluorescent lights, and many others! Don't recommend anyone getting this internet!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Depending on where you live, they have the monopoly on high speed internet. I am unfortunate enough to be in one of those areas. When I first called for them to come and connect my elite bundle, they came 3 weeks into the billing cycle, but charged for the entire month. While we're on the subject of the phone/cable/internet bundle. I only got the first 3 months at introductory price, instead of the 6 advertised. Then came the data cap nightmares. They only have 300 cap, and there were no data caps in my contract. I have a big family, so naturally that 300 went fast.

Without any warning, after two months, they bump it up to 500, then 700, and right now, I'm at 1100. I started out with a $180 bill, and this month's is $435. Bear in mind, that our internet habits haven't changed enough to warrant such an exorbitant price. Crappy service. Crappy equipment. Crappy data caps. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Also, I know that data caps are a thing of the past, and that having them in this day and age is utterly ridiculous???

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have internet only with Cable One (no tv service). I am paying for 100 Mbps. I test the download speed fairly often and always receive over Mbps... sometimes as high as 120. This is very fast, reliable service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've been told by Cable ONE that I've gone over my data speed for 2 months in a row. That's not possible. Nothing is changed in my home. I feel they're targeting me unfairly because he had to credit me a half a month service due to the fact that their technicians had to come to my house three times before they decided to switch out my faulty modem. When I spoke with someone today at tech support they couldn't answer my question as to why they just kept claiming that I went over my data again. I also haven't heard back from anyone in regards to the fact that a few months ago I spoke with technical support and one of their technical support folks told me to shut up and called me a **. I've had nothing but problems with this company. I've read the reviews. They have a terrible review with ConsumerAffairs. They claim they don't. They have an excellent rating which is a lie so obviously they lie about everything else in my opinion.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We decided to give up our cable and just keep our internet. We turned in our box, paid that months bill and we were told they would pro rate the bill. The next month I received a bill for 230.00 2 1/2 months worth. Called them. We were told we were current. Then out of the blue our internet was shut down. Now they are telling us we were delinquent 150.0. When I called they could not provide me with an itemized current bill. We were told they did not have the ability to do this. Bottom line they are crooks!!! Horrible service and very hard to do business with. Will not be doing business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I have had Cable One's high speed internet service for 4 years. Any technical difficulties were promptly resolved by their friendly customer service. As a high internet usage family their speeds always met our demands. We have multiple computer systems, game consoles, mobile devices and never did we have issues with speed or connectivity. The issue is why in 2017 a residential internet provider would cap bandwidth so low. To provide you with top notch speeds but punish you for using it is ridiculous. If you go over your bandwidth 3 times they force you into the next tier of speed and price. I am moving soon and will be out of Cable One's reach, thank God.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Our office received a new modem to be installed. The letter sounds like it's going to be a simple procedure. Came in to work early to get it done before the staff shows up. Was on hold for over 30 minutes so, needless to say, the staff arrives and is chomping at the bit because they have work to do. Finally got a technician by the name of Lance. He asked if the modem had been plugged in at least 30 minutes. I told him "I had been on hold over 30 minutes so, yes, the modem had been plugged in." He told me I didn't need to be hostile. Because I told him I was on hold over 30 minutes?

I had to run back and forth to another office to get the CMAC number and other information he was requesting. The letter probably should have said to have the CMAC number available. I read another review where a CS tech called a customer "the B word." These techs need to remain professional and not resort to name calling. If they are going to send out new equipment that needs to be activated, they need to add additional staff to handle the increase in calls. To call me a name is unacceptable, unprofessional, and downright rude. He didn't get the modem up and running so I just wasted 90 minutes of my work day to be disrespected and called HOSTILE by a Cable One tech. Perhaps Lance needs to be in a job where he doesn't work with customers.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I went over my data cap without using my internet. Was in Europe for a full 30 days and they said I went over my data cap... It's not possible. No one was there except my mom checking on the cats every few days. Now I got my third strike. This is what they do, they force you to pay more. That is how they get their money, fraud.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Account is for 97-yr old father-in-law's phone & internet bundled. We get the bills but did not receive one for May. Got June notice today's mail - said it was past due but when I called they ALREADY cut off service. I had sent payment from bank billing but no, had to give them another payment through Visa to get service activated. They didn't care that we had NO notice BEFORE they cut off service. They didn't care that a 97-yr old man had NO way to call us if he needed help. And they are the ONLY cable Internet service where he lives. Very poor customer service and the fees are extremely high for what you get. If there was another option we would choose ANY other over Cable One.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Just talked to the Cable ONE customer service and had the BEST customer service from Nicolas or "Nick"! in Joplin MO (The Nick that has been there the longest). I called on behalf of my parents' internet and phone not working. I was on the phone while he was guiding her on what to do to try to restore service. He was very helpful and worked with my mom patiently. I have never experienced such AWESOME service from any company! He provides 5 star service and he made a stressful situation much easier to handle. Thanks Nick!!!

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have been a loyal customer to Cable One for several years. They are quite literally the only ISP in my area I am willing to do business with (see my review of AT&T... LYING CHEATING CROOKS RIGHT THERE!). The speeds and service is great 75% of the time, but when it isn't... Don't call and complain to them about it. I was laughed at by technical support (I am a 26 year old with a Masters in Management who didn't know what a coaxial cable was... big whoop... that's what they are there for?). Anyhow, that is the best thing that happened on the call. The tech eventually explained to me how it was that I could get my speeds where they needed to be, but after another hour of testing, he just gave me "admin" site and had me change things around myself.

Suddenly, as I was following his directions and changing things, I began to receive emails about plan changes, overages and extra fees. I racked up 181 dollars in overages for inadvertently switching to an old plan, and raised my rate by 40 dollars that month. A supervisor in technical support yelled back at me, telling me that I was entitled. The billing supervisor hung up on me, and when I called them back, they told me they had no supervisors available and would have to get a call back for me. All in all, very sloppy and subpar. I will keep them until someone else can compete with EVIL AT&T and maybe put them both out of business.

Original review: April 18, 2017

We moved from Alabama where we had Charter. Had no limit on data and loved them. They were awesome. Now we live in Mississippi, was forced to go with Cable ONE where we have limited data and the internet is slow and keeps disconnecting. If Charter ever came here we would be switching.

Original review: April 15, 2017

First off I still had CenturyLink when Cable One came and hooked up our cable connection and so help me God the man shorted out the the test connection of the dsl knocking out our internet with CenturyLink. I was online when it went out. I go outside to see what the noise was on outside of my wall and it's Cable One. Took me 3 hours to figure out what happened. When I got off the phone with CenturyLink they told me to check that they were aware of Cable One sabotaging their lines and sure as heck they did. Now that's on my kids' lives I can tell you for a fact... and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

The company is shady as all get out when I'm on the line and the tech tells me, "No don't close Google Chrome. Open that back up!" Now I didn't tell him what I was doing. Clearly they had remote connection to my PC... Now when you buy your own modem and tell them not to update the firmware of your modem, that it does not belong to them and they do it anyway, that unlawful firmware can't be downgraded. I have been recording videos of them doing it to over 10 modems and will file my lawsuit soon!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I don't know how Cable ONE quantifies the data usage. Despite our efforts to cut back on usage we keep somehow going over. First it was over 300 by a small amount. Now it's over 500 by a small amount. How? It especially doesn't make sense when our data usage goes up when we haven't been home. Finally fed up we called to cancel service for NEXT week. And they cut off service the same day. When we call to ask them to fix it they tell us there is nothing they can do. We have work and school. Important stuff we HAVE to do that is time sensitive. What a bunch of lying, cheating, crooks!! I don't know how what they're doing is even legal. AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 28, 2017

My Name is Daniel **, I Live in Dumas Tx. I have been using Cable ONE for almost a year now, and only recently when I started downloading a bunch of extra things on my Xbox did my data caps start hitting, and I was at a 300gb monthly plan and 100mb Download. Speeds were always great, occasional outages were normal due to the weather here in the panhandle, but still reliable. Price was very reasonable considering I was paying 55$ A Month for 300gb and 100mb Download compared to the other company which only went up to 25mb from what I saw on their website, which cost 60$ a month. I'm a Hardcore Gamer and Streamer, SO I do use data, and I have read a bunch of crap about them cheating everyone here and there, but I have not seen that.

Today I had a bill pop up which I called to check on because I had downgraded from a bundled TV And Internet Deal due to just not using TV Anymore and I was still getting billed, (Just Once) For the same package. The lady who I talked to was not only very nice but gave me a legit reason for why that was, and it was because I failed to return the boxes before the billing cycle, which I get.

However I was still upset I was getting charged for a service I wasn't Using and I explained to her how since I don't always know if I will be called in to work or not It is hard for me to sit there and wait for a tech all the time and because of my work Sometimes I miss them. She understood and told me that she would work with me and gave me a credit for the bill so I wouldn't have to pay it, and that was fantastic customer service, even if I didn't ask for that. I Have Never had an issue with cable one, and I'm sure like the other thousands of people who don't come on here just to write a complaint to be whiny, cable one does good by them too. For the choices we have out here where I live, Cable one is definitely the #1 Choice.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Biggest thing to remember with Cable ONE is that you don't have a contract, which also means they don't have a contract. They can do as they please and there is nothing you can legally do about it. I understand that when it say up to 100mbs that doesn't mean I will be getting that high of speeds all the time. The highest download speed I have ever gotten is just over 14mbs, but that is the really rare, generally average around 4mbs. That isn't even 5% of the speeds I'm supposed to be able to get. On top of that, and this is really the biggest issue, streaming speeds are absolute garbage. Even on all the most reliable streaming services (Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Prime) it will play for 5 seconds and buffer for 20. It isn't 100% of the time but it is definitely more often than not.

What I really don't understand is how it will be working just fine and then drop off completely to unwatchable. I have called them and tried to get answers for this and they shirk the blame to my modem or don't have an answer. My modem is brand new $200 top of the line. I am going back to CenturyLink, they have slower speeds apparently, but I am getting those slower speeds anyway and I didn't have any streaming troubles with them.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I have been a customer of Cable ONE internet for 16 years. I have NEVER once gone over their "300 gig" limit on my internet until September of 2016. I work from home on my computer and nothing has changed those 10 years since I began working from home. I do not have Netflix or any other program that would cause my internet usage to skyrocket. In September of 2016 I received a notice from Cable ONE that said I had used 320 gigs of data. I was shocked since this is the very first time I had even heard that there was a limit to the amount of data that I could use. I was warned that if I exceeded the 300 gig limit three times in twelve months, they were going to increase my bill by $25.00. I currently pay $55.00 a month.

I received another notice in November of 2016 that I had again used 323 gigs of data. I called customer service again and told them that there must be some mistake because I am certainly not using that much data. 323 gigs seems extremely excessive and I don't even know how I could use that much. They assured me that I am wrong and they are right. Of course there is no proof. Just their word against mine. I just received my current bill and it shows my total due is $88.93.

I called customer service and was told that I exceeded my 300 gig limit in January and now my bill will be higher. I asked her if she would be willing to move me back to the $55 a month I have been paying since I have been a loyal customer for SIXTEEN YEARS. She said she couldn't do that. I am now contacting Century Link to see if they would like to have my business. I am so tired of being accused of using excess data when I know that Cable ONE is lying about the amount of data I am using. Someone has got to stop these companies from cheating people out of money with NO proof.

Original review: March 13, 2017

We were forced to upgrade our internet because Cable ONE said we were going our data plan. First time they tried to do this. I checked the usage times and the highest was a time we were not home! The second time they said upgrade or lose service. So now with our cable bill it's almost 300 a month. The free cable boxes? Ha! We are being charged for those too. We know we weren't using the data they say we were. Laptop wasn't working and only one kid using internet. I know my cell phone isn't using all the data.

We bought Roku TV's and will be cutting all but economy cable. See how the bill looks then. Plus the sports fees for channels we don't want or watch is wrong too. I'm sure we will be forced to upgrade again soon. The price difference jumps drastically when you get to using more data. When I posted on Facebook about the forced upgrade I found out that everyone in our town and the next got the same letters. It's a lie and wrong if we aren't using it.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I've been with Cable One for 3 years. Their prices are deceptive. I pay for the high speed due to their manipulation of data speed and the service is still very poor. I've spoken with technical support numerous times and have been verbally abused. Had one tech scream at me and tell me to "shut up" because he was talking so fast I couldn't understand his instructions. When I repeatedly asked him to talk slow his response was "shut up." I reported this but nothing was done. He still works there because I was unfortunate enough to have him take my tech call at a later date. When I asked to speak to some else & explained why he hung up. Had to call tech support a couple of days ago because my email and other features were not working. The tech said I need new modem.

The Cable One installer came and started arguing with me in my own home telling me it was not the modem it was my device. Apparently according to him all my devices, which are new number the way, are faulty. I explained that sounds wrong. My devices are new. He began to argue with me. I asked why tech support claimed it was a faulty Cable One modem. He's says he doesn't know why they made this claim. He wouldn't even stay long enough to see if modem worked. It didn't because he never showed me how to locate pass code on modem. He just says code is in the modem. There are seven different number sequences on that modem so I had to call tech support to finish the job the installer neglected to do.

The tech reports my claim and says someone will contact me. I received voice mail from someone in my local Cable One office in Joplin Missouri but the call back number put me onto the main menu so the person that answers has no idea what or who I was referring to. Very Deceptive. Also I had an outage for 4 days due to Cable One's reason was an ice storm in my area. There was no I don't storm. When I called to request rate reduction for outage they tell me "thank you for being a loyal value customer." Then low balled me mail on the credit I was due had the nerve to offer me $4. When I said that was not enough she then offered $10. I do not trust this company at all. I'm leaving Cable One for AT&T.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

We are seriously getting fed up with Cable One and are going to switch to CenturyLink despite having slower speeds. For the third month in a row now we have gotten a notification, claiming that we have exceeded our allotted data. Ridiculous. There are just two people in our household and we work all day. Just another glorified way to squeeze more money out of people.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Cable ONE implemented ridiculous Data Caps for their high speed internet service. If you go over the cap they force you to upgrade to a much more expensive plan. 300gb/month for their 100mb/s service. The only other option in Idaho is obsolete DSL with CenturyLink. We have been loyal customers since the 1990's, we will be switching to CenturyLink when our third warning letter arrives. Even though they have slower internet speeds, they have no data cap and it's cheaper. Seriously ** Cable One, greedy bastards.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Cable One is obviously taking advantage of its customers in the area I live in. They are the only cable/high-speed internet provider. Everyone I know who has their service received a letter in the mail stating that we had gone over our allotted data and they were forcing us to move up to a more expensive package. There was no way this was true because I was out of town working during this time, but since there is no one else, unless you want a very slow satellite Internet, we are stuck like Chuck in the muck. If you are even remotely considering cable one I strongly recommend going without rather than using their dishonest service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Back in August 2016 Cable One put new data caps in place. I originally had 50 Mbps internet with no data cap. They changed that to 100 Mbps and a 300GB data cap. That may sound like a lot, but for any kind of video streaming it absolutely isn't. Most other cable internet ISPs have a 1TB data cap which is much more reasonable. Cable One claims that this is to help curb the usage of the highest level users, but it's obvious what is going on. People are cutting the cord and not paying for cable TV so they have to get more money from their internet offering. I'd be fine if they just raised the rates of the unlimited a bit or just offered better data cap options. I've been happy with the service before the cap, and if they increased the cap sizes at the various pricing levels I would be okay with it. At the current state I am very displeased with Cable One and would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I absolutely hate Cable One and its service. The data caps are outrageous as well as its too pricey. We keep going over them and every 3 months keep getting bumped up. I got rid of my home computer as well as PS4 and we're still going over them!!! Makes me so mad. Sorry we all have cellphones and tablets and video consoles that use data. Clearly Cable One doesn't understand that. The only reason I unfortunately still have them is because there is no other internet provider in the area. They also changed the Cable TV lineup and took away half of the regularly watched shows by my family so we dropped that as well.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I have been using Linux since 1995. I have been using Linux EXCLUSIVELY since 2005. Cable One does not support Linux at all. At all!!! Most of the tech support may have heard of Linux, but they have no clue about what Linux is. REALLY, Linux is more popular than Apple (Mac). When Midco comes online in the next three months, I am going to bail on Cable One, unless they give me a damn good reason why I should stay! Damn it!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I upgraded to Cable One's "100Mbps" service four months ago. The fastest download speed I've seen thus far has been about 60 Mbps, but only one time. The slowest was this morning when I tested it after having trouble streaming videos from a news website: < 3 Mbps! That's worse than the service I had before I upgraded. It's unacceptable, but in this area - Sherman, TX - there is no viable alternative.

Cable ONE expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.
    • Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.
    • Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.
    • Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.
    • Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.
    • Best for: Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs