Cable ONE

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been using Linux since 1995. I have been using Linux EXCLUSIVELY since 2005. Cable One does not support Linux at all. At all!!! Most of the tech support may have heard of Linux, but they have no clue about what Linux is. REALLY, Linux is more popular than Apple (Mac). When Midco comes online in the next three months, I am going to bail on Cable One, unless they give me a damn good reason why I should stay! Damn it!!!

I upgraded to Cable One's "100Mbps" service four months ago. The fastest download speed I've seen thus far has been about 60 Mbps, but only one time. The slowest was this morning when I tested it after having trouble streaming videos from a news website: < 3 Mbps! That's worse than the service I had before I upgraded. It's unacceptable, but in this area - Sherman, TX - there is no viable alternative.

Charge for internet but are unable to install it. So they set up an appointment to install internet at my house between 130 and 230 yet when I get there at 220 they have already came and gone, I guess in the Cable One world no one else works...

Called to set up an appointment. Didn't get internet set up for fifteen days. Really guys? Then big blocks of time to wait at home to see if you'll show up.

I live in a 55+ community in Arizona and Cable One locked in a monopoly on internet by owning the phone lines and refusing to allow firms like CenturyLink to use them. So if you want Internet, CO is the only choice. Worse, they consistently raise fees, claiming your broadband usage exceeds the cheaper categories. Oddly, they never give guidelines on how they reach this conclusion. Then if you bring your usage down, they tell you they won't bump you down to a cheaper category for THREE MONTHS. I've screwed them, though: I use our club house internet and told Cable One to take a hike. Oh, one more thing: They won't sell you their modem. You rent it endlessly for $8 a month. I've complained to the FCC and the state's version of a consumer protection agency, but neither of them have replied. Best reply: Don't do business with Cable One.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Cable One is a pieces of ** over priced bad internet. I had an issue of them overcharging and they told me they would take care of the issues. I called three months in a row and each time they said they would take care of the issues. On the fourth month I told them I'm canceling them now they're going to charge me three months of back charges onto my final bill. Very, very dishonest company.

Cable has a bad service but they charge too much. When you ask them why the internet cuts off they can't give you answers. They have blocked AT&T just because we live outskirt and all we can get is Cable One. Don't get Cable One TV or internet, you will cry and they will take your money. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise, that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough. I wish I can add my receipt but it's all down online. My account is active Cable One account.

First off I'd say the one shining beacon of Cable ONE is their "no contract" policy. But that being said their arrogance makes that a rather non-issue. Of course their product was very overpriced before their conversion to digital but since then it's just overpriced and garbage. Two required digital converters for free and any additional ones five dollars extra each month. Converter remotes that don't work correctly on any TV in the house which promotes further aggravation. Their 2nd tier line up is pure garbage yet they are quick to show what's on the higher tiers as a despicable ploy to entice customers to upgrade their service.

Internet is not bad though it is overpriced and I was "without option" placed into the 300 tier for usage but considering they show ** for programming I tend to use more data watching Netflix, Hulu, xbox video, etc. I currently pay 197.00 a month and only can use the service in half the house considering paying for two extra converter boxes would have totaled an extra 120.00 each year for the same thing I had before their conversion which by the way I see no difference in picture or programming quality since their change over. Another issue they have failed to provide an answer to is if I have four smart TV's in the house which are 100% digital why do I need a digital converter anyway? Cable One claims they are pushing a 100% digital signal through their lines.

So all in all I'd say the following: Programming: 1 out of 5 stars. Internet: 4 out of 5 stars. Cost: 0 out of 5 stars. Simply not worth the money on the cable side. Customer Service: 1 out of 5 stars. Equipment: 1 out of 5 stars. Terrible idea with the converter boxes. I think they are required more to the point of keeping people from illegally hooking up to the cable. Of course they are penalizing their paying customer base in order to accomplish this.

I have paid and paid Cable ONE. They are charging me an outrageous amount for billing and cable. I paid over 500.00 in deposits and ended up with metered internet. Who still does that? It is just a way to charge extra on the bill. Unlike the large cities they are the only game in town for wired internet. They have managed to keep Fios and AT&T out of the area so it is a charge what you want to picnic for them and they do that. My bill is over 217 per month compared to the 140.00 per month that Verizon charges for the same services when they are available in your area. The internet is unreliable and keeps popping up as unavailable even though I am on the 200 mbps plan. I went online to see why they are the only ones available in my area but could not find an answer. Sherman is not so small it could not support competition.

Cable One is again scamming the American consumer. They of course, send you a letter saying you have gone over and this is your third notice. However, they never sent you a first or second letter. Furthermore, the data usage is false given that we were out town a few days and everything was unplug that uses data. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough.

Constant errors. They keep changing my auto billing account information with nonexistent card information so they can hit me with a late charge so every month I have to give them the right info again. They claim insane amounts of data usage was used but me and my family are gone for most of the day and you can't check on it because nothing works in the website. It always says site is not accessible or run time error or incorrect info. I've tried with my laptop, my desktop, smartphone and friend's computer. Plus the billing department works when I'm at work. When I try during lunch time the wait time is longer than my lunch time. Not many options. Both them and Century Link are hot garbage.

They said I would get around 100mbps. What a JOKE! I get 9-11mbps! I signed up with Cable One 6 days ago. First day the guy came out and after 30 minutes said that they needed to put in a new cable from their box to my house. Three days go by and they put in a cable. Then 2 more days go by and they send out a guy to connect it to their modem. Tried it for less than a day and called Tech support because it was super SLOW. Spent 2 hours on the phone turning on and off the modem and playing with speed test. He said "something is VERY wrong". S L O W - 9-11 mbps! I mean that is dial-up slow.

He sent out a tech today. Tech spent 1.5 hours here and couldn't figure it out. He tried three modems. The original one, a new one from his truck (never worked), so he had to try a third one from his truck. Worked for about 1 hour and then died! Now we are back on the phone AGAIN! On hold 90% of the time! CABLE ONE SUCKS! HORRIBLE PRODUCT. HORRIBLE TECH. SUPPORT. OBVIOUSLY POORLY TRAINED INSTALLERS. Worst phone tech support I have ever used. Phone support know NOTHING and put you on hold for 10-15 minutes at a time and never solve anything.

If I could rate the Cable One CS reps as the best to worst in my life they are far and above the absolute worst. If you have a company looking to have an example of horrible, rude, disrespectful people give them a jingle you will not be disappointed. I was late by one day on an internet bill and they called me and said I need to pay 350 dollars? The bill was 50 bucks. I say "no way, I need your manager". She got then was even more rude and added a 100 more? She was actually laughing at me. I was a customer for 12 years? I hung up and called the corporate COO office. It got straightened out. Avoid this company. They hate you and love your money.

Cable One please stop adding and advertising services until you can get at least one to work. If your service was run by your billing department it would be very reliable. In Prescott Valley, AZ the internet and phone totally unreliable. With Cable One as internet & phone provider, and AT&T cell service, we are back in the stone ages with little outside communication. Another service failure from Cable One will leave no other choice but to look for another provider.

I have no choice but to use Cable ONE as our internet provider. I was upgraded to the 500GB package because of usage. My problem is how the Bandwith is monitored. "My Bandwidth" is for a calendar month whereas your billing cycle is for another calendar period. We are a streaming family and Cable ONE is the only internet provider I can use where I live. The customer service is horrible. When I found out my plan had changed without my authorization, the representative asked, "Well what do you want?" I simply replied "I would have like to have the option of making a choice." She didn't care because she knew I didn't have options. My complaint is how Cable ONE monitors your bandwidth that is not aligned with your billing cycle. This company has to be headed by Satan himself!!!

Service will be out for hours at a time, sometimes several times a week. When you call they say they will get back with you and never call back. Our service went out on a weekend and they won't come fix it until Monday! The only thing reliable about Cable One is the BILL! You will get it on time and for the full amount no matter how long you were without service. You won't get anywhere close to the "speed and reliability" with internet service that they promise. And customer service is even worse.

I was bullied into upgrading to a higher level after I reached Cable One's data cap 300GB. I must say, for the $130/mo I would expect much better transfer rates, and we get plenty of dropout times. I average 45Mbs down, and 10Mbs up. I would expect more in range of 70+ Mrs download. The ironic part is that they "offer" a business rate for more Mbs at cheaper, but they won't allow me that. I wish there were more competition, for improved product and customer service.

I signed up for Cable One almost a year ago. We have 2 TVs that we stream to (through Roku and PS3) and we use wifi on our phones. In that year, the internet has been very unstable. It would shut off, freeze, or just pixelate images for days at a time. Each time we'd call, we'd get the same support of "unplug the modem for 30 minutes and it should work." I would often ask for prorated amounts for days lost and be told they don't do that. Now, they have completely disconnected my service and are asking $360 to reconnect. The reason? I was late on my payment by a month. I paid $105 to ensure it was up to date but they are insisting the $360 be paid. Now, I understand that yes, I was late, but there was no warning, no "you need to pay by this date" or anything.

I paid on Friday afternoon and Friday night, they "hard" disconnected me. When I called tech support, they didn't even tell me why -- just said the usual support advice. I refuse to pay to reconnect when the service was already terrible. Also, they have a monopoly on my area... Every other company except Dish says they aren't available in my area and then they actually refer me to Cable One. That is ridiculous!

I see other people have reported a similar issue. We use Cable One for TV and Internet and have for years. When we moved into our new place 3 years ago, they had an arrangement for using 50 GBs a month and paying extra for every GB over. We never went over and had been told they weren't enforcing it. I don't know when the new 300 GB data caps were put in and enforced, because we only found out after getting warnings of going over. We didn't change our usage habits from before when we were barely using 50GBs so this seemed impossible.

Another reviewer mentioned having problems since August; our overages supposedly started occurring in July (we went on vacation, so...). We are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to them after being forced into a higher data cap plan we don't want by getting a new router, changing passwords, and making sure nothing is running in the background, but so far it doesn't appear to be helping. (We stream Netflix a lot, but use low quality and even if we use the data calculator provided by the company and fill it out according to gross overestimates of what we actually use, we shouldn't be hitting this data cap. We've gotten a couple more devices since we started, but it's not like we use them all at once.) I'm getting more suspicious of how data is tallied.

I have had Cable One for 8 years now and they were great for a long time. Nowadays their customer service is awful. I was threatened by them for going over my 300 gig bandwidth limit which I didn't even know what a thing. If you go over the 300 gig internet limit then they try to force you to upgrade to a higher package which is a joke. Much rather have DSL and have no data limit than be bullied by these **. Stay away from this company.

I am tired of watching the TV in the evening because it constantly pixelates and we miss a lot of the dialogue. We pay a lot of money for our services and it's not right that we can't have a good signal all the time. We've been told that it has to do with a transmission difficulty from Phoenix to our area. I wish they would get this fixed because it is NOT fair to the consumers. They should give each customer in this area that has the problem a huge break on our bills until it gets FIXED!

After having cable one for a year we got tired of them and decided to go with DSL. Cable one forced us to upgrade our package because we went over our 300GB a month. Basically if you stream 2 movies a day you're going to go over. They offer 100 mb which is great but not if you have watch what your kids are watching. If you have kids and multiple devices. Good luck not getting ripped off by this company. This is by far the worse company I have ever dealt with. I called and they basically told me to pay 105 instead of the 55 I was paying. I told the rep I wasnt going to double my bill and still be CAPPED. What a joke? Save yourself a headache and dont even bother with them. I got offered 20mb for 30 a month. Slower but its fast enough to stream whatever I want and don't have to worry about Cable One Data usage.

In my opinion, as a consumer, “deals” certain providers give are just not really honest deals. I am in the process of cutting my monthly expenses. One of those “cuts” will be television service. As I am looking for “deals” online, I see Cable One's deal of $35.00 per month for the 1st three months for Internet. Then when you read further, there is an extra charge of $8.00/mo for the EQUIPMENT to receive internet. So actually, the deal is NOT $35.00 per month, it is really $43.00 per month (plus taxes and other fees). This is the same with AT&T...$**.** for internet PLUS $*.** for the equipment.

You cannot have internet without the equipment. Internet is internet and whatever equipment is needed to have the internet. That equipment to receive internet is implied because you cannot have internet without the equipment. I believe it is wrong to advertise internet for “X” amount of dollars as a deal then the provider also says it will be an additional “X” amount of dollars for the equipment or you will not be able to have internet service.

This does not just apply to internet. It also applies if you want television services too. You pay a certain amount for the television service plus an amount for the equipment (and for each receiver) to receive the television stations. You can't have television without the equipment. This is not just with Cable One, it is like this with AT&T and DIRECTV. Is it just me and I'm not understanding and seeing it wrong? In my opinion this is just wrong and false advertisement.

I have been using Cable One for a couple of years, mostly because where I live it is the ONLY option for internet service. When we opened our account we had unlimited service. Three months ago, Cable One switched us to a data plan and increased our monthly payment without informing us. When I called to ask why our plan had changed, the customer service rep tried to convince me that we have always had a data plan and that we were probably just using more internet. After arguing with her for 10 minutes, she admitted that we did have an unlimited plan before, but that they only offer data plans now.

So now we pay more money to have less access, at speeds that have never reached what Cable One says we should be averaging. Now they want me to upgrade our account and pay over $100 for their awful internet (just internet, nothing else). The local office here is impossible to reach, and the hotline number is never helpful. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They should be investigated for fraud. I am looking forward to cancelling my service this month. I would rather have no internet service than pay Cable One for this horrible service.

We have been experiencing higher than normal bandwidth usage with Cable ONE since last August of 2015. We have received two notices from Cable ONE that we have exceeded our monthly allotment of 300GB for two months in a row (that's a maximum of 10GB/day). Looking at the history of our usage, we have exceeded 300GB almost consistently since last August, and our Internet usage habits haven't changed that we are aware of. In fact, August was the first month when this happened. We were consistently under 10GB per day for all previous months of this year. In August, we were on vacation for two weeks and our bandwidth usage shot up over 500GB for that month.

Being concerned about our bandwidth usage, we tried for two days to limit our usage both on the computer and on the TV - and it didn't seem to make a difference as our daily usage was consistently over 10GB/day. That forced us to increase our bandwidth through Cable ONE from 300GB to 500GB at a cost of an extra $50/mo (that's a maximum of 16GB/day). And we are still experiencing occasional usage in excess of 20GB/day when doing almost nothing on the computer or the TV.

Suspecting that a neighbor might have gained access to our Wi-Fi, we also changed the password on our home Wi-Fi (believe me, it has always been a very secure password), and it did not help reduce the high usage. I have a bandwidth monitor app on all my devices now. Yesterday (12/18/15), I was on Facebook for about an hour on my iPhone. That one hour of Facebook used 1GB of bandwidth. Watching a one hour Hulu episode on my iPhone used 3GB, and it wasn't even HD. There's no way that I'm going to be watching video clips on YouTube or Facebook anymore just for the fun of it. We are going to cut back to the 300GB next month and we're going to drop Netflix and Hulu and get all our news from text and even restrict how much graphical content we access on the Internet. The cost of entertainment isn't worth it to us.

We have five computers at home, two iPhones, and one iPad. These get updated often. I've discovered that it uses up to 2GB per computer to update Mac's OS, and I've yet to find out how much bandwidth is used to update my apps. And then I have Windows on three of those computers that also get updated frequently. Just using my computers and keeping them updated can push me over the daily limit, and that means cutting back on entertainment for that day. It really isn't worth it. So now I am also stopping automatic updates on the computers and iPhones/iPad and limiting it to just one update per month at most, and maybe even less. So far for the month of December (2015) we have 13 days left and have already used 50% of the now 500GB bandwidth, and this by being very frugal with our Internet usage.

My strongest suspicion is that Cable ONE has changed the way they tally bandwidth usage, which amounts to increasing the cost to the users. I fully understand that it costs them to provide streaming video and to make it possible for users to store photos and video online, but if it is true that they changed the way they tally bandwidth, they did not tell their customers. We need full disclosure before the fact and not have to discover these changes at the expense of an increased bill for seemingly no reason.

I took a day off work to sit in my house all afternoon waiting for Cable ONE installation. After they are an hour late, I call them to see what is going on. I am told that they tried to call my wife's cell phone and she didn't answer, so they canceled the appointment and never came to my door. I said that I don't understand why they would decide to cancel an appointment without even coming to the door! What if she did not have service or was working at the time and couldn't answer? Then I start getting "it's just policy" over and over again.

If I schedule an appointment, of course I am going to be there. I scheduled it! After speaking to two different people whom had zero concern for what has happened, they kindly offered to let me take a second day off of work to wait for them again! I did tell them that that doesn't work and shortly after was hung up on. Yes I was frustrated. No, I never once yelled or use any inappropriate language. I know they don't care about one individual customer but maybe someone who notices this will know who can work to improve this situation. What other company in the world would still be in business with the attitude of "You need me more than I need you!" And now, based on this post, I see Cable ONE also has data limits??? Who does that?!

I had Cable ONE for about 3 months and decided to turn off my phone and TV service. They increased my bill for no reason, customer service spoke in circles. If you're looking to turn this service ON, DON'T!!!. Stay Away from all services!!!

I have been signed up for internet and phone for two weeks. The internet has been down well over 30 hours and they simply blame it on converting to a digital system. Today my phone is down and I have a message to sign up to voice mail. It will not let me place a call. Their 24/7 service number simply goes dead when asking for support. I have spent over 1.5 hours trying to contact anyone.

This firm is so bad, a single star rating is overkill. Go to dtv or any other service if available. This firm simply does not care about customer support. If someone in your family need to have access to a phone for 911 or to call the fire department they are dangerous to the public and could contribute to someone passing away. The state attorney general needs to look into this firm's lack of service which endangers Arizona residents. Veterans avoid this firm at all cost.

Well I got Cable ONE when I moved into my new house. Was great till they up the speed from 50 to 100. We couldn't play our internet game at the same time like before. I called them and asked, "Why?" They said, "Come and get new modem." So I did. That didn't help. Then they up my speed to the 150 still suck. I called again. They sent a tech out with new modem and again nothing. Everyday I called and they said it not on their end but was funny 'cause we didn't have problem till the change the speed. So I call CenturyLink. They was there in 3 days hooking me up great plan 40+ and I get 20 m upload. With Cable ONE you only get 3, 5 and 10 but pay thru the neck. Since I went to CenturyLink I can run 4 PCs, play games, listen and watch Netflicks and not one problem. I only pay 40.00 a month. Be careful with Cable ONE. I only got a 25.00 credit and it takes a month to get that.

The first problems I had with this company was finding router that was compatible; I ended up renting one from Cable One because NONE of the ones sold in my area would work. After going over my data limit (never received a notice I was even close to the limit) I phoned Cable One to upgrade. The customer service rep was rude and condescending. I only wanted a price list so I could choose an upgrade, but she was lost in her world of berating customers. I will never support a company that treats customers as poorly as this one does.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.
  • Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.
  • Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.
  • Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.
  • Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.
  • Best for Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers