Cable ONE

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a loyal customer to Cable One for several years. They are quite literally the only ISP in my area I am willing to do business with (see my review of AT&T... LYING CHEATING CROOKS RIGHT THERE!). The speeds and service is great 75% of the time, but when it isn't... Don't call and complain to them about it. I was laughed at by technical support (I am a 26 year old with a Masters in Management who didn't know what a coaxial cable was... big whoop... that's what they are there for?). Anyhow, that is the best thing that happened on the call. The tech eventually explained to me how it was that I could get my speeds where they needed to be, but after another hour of testing, he just gave me "admin" site and had me change things around myself.

Suddenly, as I was following his directions and changing things, I began to receive emails about plan changes, overages and extra fees. I racked up 181 dollars in overages for inadvertently switching to an old plan, and raised my rate by 40 dollars that month. A supervisor in technical support yelled back at me, telling me that I was entitled. The billing supervisor hung up on me, and when I called them back, they told me they had no supervisors available and would have to get a call back for me. All in all, very sloppy and subpar. I will keep them until someone else can compete with EVIL AT&T and maybe put them both out of business.

We moved from Alabama where we had Charter. Had no limit on data and loved them. They were awesome. Now we live in Mississippi, was forced to go with Cable ONE where we have limited data and the internet is slow and keeps disconnecting. If Charter ever came here we would be switching.

First off I still had CenturyLink when Cable One came and hooked up our cable connection and so help me God the man shorted out the the test connection of the dsl knocking out our internet with CenturyLink. I was online when it went out. I go outside to see what the noise was on outside of my wall and it's Cable One. Took me 3 hours to figure out what happened. When I got off the phone with CenturyLink they told me to check that they were aware of Cable One sabotaging their lines and sure as heck they did. Now that's on my kids' lives I can tell you for a fact... and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

The company is shady as all get out when I'm on the line and the tech tells me, "No don't close Google Chrome. Open that back up!" Now I didn't tell him what I was doing. Clearly they had remote connection to my PC... Now when you buy your own modem and tell them not to update the firmware of your modem, that it does not belong to them and they do it anyway, that unlawful firmware can't be downgraded. I have been recording videos of them doing it to over 10 modems and will file my lawsuit soon!

I don't know how Cable ONE quantifies the data usage. Despite our efforts to cut back on usage we keep somehow going over. First it was over 300 by a small amount. Now it's over 500 by a small amount. How? It especially doesn't make sense when our data usage goes up when we haven't been home. Finally fed up we called to cancel service for NEXT week. And they cut off service the same day. When we call to ask them to fix it they tell us there is nothing they can do. We have work and school. Important stuff we HAVE to do that is time sensitive. What a bunch of lying, cheating, crooks!! I don't know how what they're doing is even legal. AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!

My Name is Daniel **, I Live in Dumas Tx. I have been using Cable ONE for almost a year now, and only recently when I started downloading a bunch of extra things on my Xbox did my data caps start hitting, and I was at a 300gb monthly plan and 100mb Download. Speeds were always great, occasional outages were normal due to the weather here in the panhandle, but still reliable. Price was very reasonable considering I was paying 55$ A Month for 300gb and 100mb Download compared to the other company which only went up to 25mb from what I saw on their website, which cost 60$ a month. I'm a Hardcore Gamer and Streamer, SO I do use data, and I have read a bunch of crap about them cheating everyone here and there, but I have not seen that.

Today I had a bill pop up which I called to check on because I had downgraded from a bundled TV And Internet Deal due to just not using TV Anymore and I was still getting billed, (Just Once) For the same package. The lady who I talked to was not only very nice but gave me a legit reason for why that was, and it was because I failed to return the boxes before the billing cycle, which I get.

However I was still upset I was getting charged for a service I wasn't Using and I explained to her how since I don't always know if I will be called in to work or not It is hard for me to sit there and wait for a tech all the time and because of my work Sometimes I miss them. She understood and told me that she would work with me and gave me a credit for the bill so I wouldn't have to pay it, and that was fantastic customer service, even if I didn't ask for that. I Have Never had an issue with cable one, and I'm sure like the other thousands of people who don't come on here just to write a complaint to be whiny, cable one does good by them too. For the choices we have out here where I live, Cable one is definitely the #1 Choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Biggest thing to remember with Cable ONE is that you don't have a contract, which also means they don't have a contract. They can do as they please and there is nothing you can legally do about it. I understand that when it say up to 100mbs that doesn't mean I will be getting that high of speeds all the time. The highest download speed I have ever gotten is just over 14mbs, but that is the really rare, generally average around 4mbs. That isn't even 5% of the speeds I'm supposed to be able to get. On top of that, and this is really the biggest issue, streaming speeds are absolute garbage. Even on all the most reliable streaming services (Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Prime) it will play for 5 seconds and buffer for 20. It isn't 100% of the time but it is definitely more often than not.

What I really don't understand is how it will be working just fine and then drop off completely to unwatchable. I have called them and tried to get answers for this and they shirk the blame to my modem or don't have an answer. My modem is brand new $200 top of the line. I am going back to CenturyLink, they have slower speeds apparently, but I am getting those slower speeds anyway and I didn't have any streaming troubles with them.

I have been a customer of Cable ONE internet for 16 years. I have NEVER once gone over their "300 gig" limit on my internet until September of 2016. I work from home on my computer and nothing has changed those 10 years since I began working from home. I do not have Netflix or any other program that would cause my internet usage to skyrocket. In September of 2016 I received a notice from Cable ONE that said I had used 320 gigs of data. I was shocked since this is the very first time I had even heard that there was a limit to the amount of data that I could use. I was warned that if I exceeded the 300 gig limit three times in twelve months, they were going to increase my bill by $25.00. I currently pay $55.00 a month.

I received another notice in November of 2016 that I had again used 323 gigs of data. I called customer service again and told them that there must be some mistake because I am certainly not using that much data. 323 gigs seems extremely excessive and I don't even know how I could use that much. They assured me that I am wrong and they are right. Of course there is no proof. Just their word against mine. I just received my current bill and it shows my total due is $88.93.

I called customer service and was told that I exceeded my 300 gig limit in January and now my bill will be higher. I asked her if she would be willing to move me back to the $55 a month I have been paying since I have been a loyal customer for SIXTEEN YEARS. She said she couldn't do that. I am now contacting Century Link to see if they would like to have my business. I am so tired of being accused of using excess data when I know that Cable ONE is lying about the amount of data I am using. Someone has got to stop these companies from cheating people out of money with NO proof.

We were forced to upgrade our internet because Cable ONE said we were going our data plan. First time they tried to do this. I checked the usage times and the highest was a time we were not home! The second time they said upgrade or lose service. So now with our cable bill it's almost 300 a month. The free cable boxes? Ha! We are being charged for those too. We know we weren't using the data they say we were. Laptop wasn't working and only one kid using internet. I know my cell phone isn't using all the data.

We bought Roku TV's and will be cutting all but economy cable. See how the bill looks then. Plus the sports fees for channels we don't want or watch is wrong too. I'm sure we will be forced to upgrade again soon. The price difference jumps drastically when you get to using more data. When I posted on Facebook about the forced upgrade I found out that everyone in our town and the next got the same letters. It's a lie and wrong if we aren't using it.

I've been with Cable One for 3 years. Their prices are deceptive. I pay for the high speed due to their manipulation of data speed and the service is still very poor. I've spoken with technical support numerous times and have been verbally abused. Had one tech scream at me and tell me to "shut up" because he was talking so fast I couldn't understand his instructions. When I repeatedly asked him to talk slow his response was "shut up." I reported this but nothing was done. He still works there because I was unfortunate enough to have him take my tech call at a later date. When I asked to speak to some else & explained why he hung up. Had to call tech support a couple of days ago because my email and other features were not working. The tech said I need new modem.

The Cable One installer came and started arguing with me in my own home telling me it was not the modem it was my device. Apparently according to him all my devices, which are new number the way, are faulty. I explained that sounds wrong. My devices are new. He began to argue with me. I asked why tech support claimed it was a faulty Cable One modem. He's says he doesn't know why they made this claim. He wouldn't even stay long enough to see if modem worked. It didn't because he never showed me how to locate pass code on modem. He just says code is in the modem. There are seven different number sequences on that modem so I had to call tech support to finish the job the installer neglected to do.

The tech reports my claim and says someone will contact me. I received voice mail from someone in my local Cable One office in Joplin Missouri but the call back number put me onto the main menu so the person that answers has no idea what or who I was referring to. Very Deceptive. Also I had an outage for 4 days due to Cable One's reason was an ice storm in my area. There was no I don't storm. When I called to request rate reduction for outage they tell me "thank you for being a loyal value customer." Then low balled me mail on the credit I was due had the nerve to offer me $4. When I said that was not enough she then offered $10. I do not trust this company at all. I'm leaving Cable One for AT&T.

We are seriously getting fed up with Cable One and are going to switch to CenturyLink despite having slower speeds. For the third month in a row now we have gotten a notification, claiming that we have exceeded our allotted data. Ridiculous. There are just two people in our household and we work all day. Just another glorified way to squeeze more money out of people.

Cable ONE implemented ridiculous Data Caps for their high speed internet service. If you go over the cap they force you to upgrade to a much more expensive plan. 300gb/month for their 100mb/s service. The only other option in Idaho is obsolete DSL with CenturyLink. We have been loyal customers since the 1990's, we will be switching to CenturyLink when our third warning letter arrives. Even though they have slower internet speeds, they have no data cap and it's cheaper. Seriously ** Cable One, greedy bastards.

Cable One is obviously taking advantage of its customers in the area I live in. They are the only cable/high-speed internet provider. Everyone I know who has their service received a letter in the mail stating that we had gone over our allotted data and they were forcing us to move up to a more expensive package. There was no way this was true because I was out of town working during this time, but since there is no one else, unless you want a very slow satellite Internet, we are stuck like Chuck in the muck. If you are even remotely considering cable one I strongly recommend going without rather than using their dishonest service.

Back in August 2016 Cable One put new data caps in place. I originally had 50 Mbps internet with no data cap. They changed that to 100 Mbps and a 300GB data cap. That may sound like a lot, but for any kind of video streaming it absolutely isn't. Most other cable internet ISPs have a 1TB data cap which is much more reasonable. Cable One claims that this is to help curb the usage of the highest level users, but it's obvious what is going on. People are cutting the cord and not paying for cable TV so they have to get more money from their internet offering. I'd be fine if they just raised the rates of the unlimited a bit or just offered better data cap options. I've been happy with the service before the cap, and if they increased the cap sizes at the various pricing levels I would be okay with it. At the current state I am very displeased with Cable One and would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

I absolutely hate Cable One and its service. The data caps are outrageous as well as its too pricey. We keep going over them and every 3 months keep getting bumped up. I got rid of my home computer as well as PS4 and we're still going over them!!! Makes me so mad. Sorry we all have cellphones and tablets and video consoles that use data. Clearly Cable One doesn't understand that. The only reason I unfortunately still have them is because there is no other internet provider in the area. They also changed the Cable TV lineup and took away half of the regularly watched shows by my family so we dropped that as well.

I have been using Linux since 1995. I have been using Linux EXCLUSIVELY since 2005. Cable One does not support Linux at all. At all!!! Most of the tech support may have heard of Linux, but they have no clue about what Linux is. REALLY, Linux is more popular than Apple (Mac). When Midco comes online in the next three months, I am going to bail on Cable One, unless they give me a damn good reason why I should stay! Damn it!!!

I upgraded to Cable One's "100Mbps" service four months ago. The fastest download speed I've seen thus far has been about 60 Mbps, but only one time. The slowest was this morning when I tested it after having trouble streaming videos from a news website: < 3 Mbps! That's worse than the service I had before I upgraded. It's unacceptable, but in this area - Sherman, TX - there is no viable alternative.

Charge for internet but are unable to install it. So they set up an appointment to install internet at my house between 130 and 230 yet when I get there at 220 they have already came and gone, I guess in the Cable One world no one else works...

Called to set up an appointment. Didn't get internet set up for fifteen days. Really guys? Then big blocks of time to wait at home to see if you'll show up.

I live in a 55+ community in Arizona and Cable One locked in a monopoly on internet by owning the phone lines and refusing to allow firms like CenturyLink to use them. So if you want Internet, CO is the only choice. Worse, they consistently raise fees, claiming your broadband usage exceeds the cheaper categories. Oddly, they never give guidelines on how they reach this conclusion. Then if you bring your usage down, they tell you they won't bump you down to a cheaper category for THREE MONTHS. I've screwed them, though: I use our club house internet and told Cable One to take a hike. Oh, one more thing: They won't sell you their modem. You rent it endlessly for $8 a month. I've complained to the FCC and the state's version of a consumer protection agency, but neither of them have replied. Best reply: Don't do business with Cable One.

Cable One is a pieces of ** over priced bad internet. I had an issue of them overcharging and they told me they would take care of the issues. I called three months in a row and each time they said they would take care of the issues. On the fourth month I told them I'm canceling them now they're going to charge me three months of back charges onto my final bill. Very, very dishonest company.

Cable has a bad service but they charge too much. When you ask them why the internet cuts off they can't give you answers. They have blocked AT&T just because we live outskirt and all we can get is Cable One. Don't get Cable One TV or internet, you will cry and they will take your money. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise, that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough. I wish I can add my receipt but it's all down online. My account is active Cable One account.

First off I'd say the one shining beacon of Cable ONE is their "no contract" policy. But that being said their arrogance makes that a rather non-issue. Of course their product was very overpriced before their conversion to digital but since then it's just overpriced and garbage. Two required digital converters for free and any additional ones five dollars extra each month. Converter remotes that don't work correctly on any TV in the house which promotes further aggravation. Their 2nd tier line up is pure garbage yet they are quick to show what's on the higher tiers as a despicable ploy to entice customers to upgrade their service.

Internet is not bad though it is overpriced and I was "without option" placed into the 300 tier for usage but considering they show ** for programming I tend to use more data watching Netflix, Hulu, xbox video, etc. I currently pay 197.00 a month and only can use the service in half the house considering paying for two extra converter boxes would have totaled an extra 120.00 each year for the same thing I had before their conversion which by the way I see no difference in picture or programming quality since their change over. Another issue they have failed to provide an answer to is if I have four smart TV's in the house which are 100% digital why do I need a digital converter anyway? Cable One claims they are pushing a 100% digital signal through their lines.

So all in all I'd say the following: Programming: 1 out of 5 stars. Internet: 4 out of 5 stars. Cost: 0 out of 5 stars. Simply not worth the money on the cable side. Customer Service: 1 out of 5 stars. Equipment: 1 out of 5 stars. Terrible idea with the converter boxes. I think they are required more to the point of keeping people from illegally hooking up to the cable. Of course they are penalizing their paying customer base in order to accomplish this.

I have paid and paid Cable ONE. They are charging me an outrageous amount for billing and cable. I paid over 500.00 in deposits and ended up with metered internet. Who still does that? It is just a way to charge extra on the bill. Unlike the large cities they are the only game in town for wired internet. They have managed to keep Fios and AT&T out of the area so it is a charge what you want to picnic for them and they do that. My bill is over 217 per month compared to the 140.00 per month that Verizon charges for the same services when they are available in your area. The internet is unreliable and keeps popping up as unavailable even though I am on the 200 mbps plan. I went online to see why they are the only ones available in my area but could not find an answer. Sherman is not so small it could not support competition.

Cable One is again scamming the American consumer. They of course, send you a letter saying you have gone over and this is your third notice. However, they never sent you a first or second letter. Furthermore, the data usage is false given that we were out town a few days and everything was unplug that uses data. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough.

Constant errors. They keep changing my auto billing account information with nonexistent card information so they can hit me with a late charge so every month I have to give them the right info again. They claim insane amounts of data usage was used but me and my family are gone for most of the day and you can't check on it because nothing works in the website. It always says site is not accessible or run time error or incorrect info. I've tried with my laptop, my desktop, smartphone and friend's computer. Plus the billing department works when I'm at work. When I try during lunch time the wait time is longer than my lunch time. Not many options. Both them and Century Link are hot garbage.

They said I would get around 100mbps. What a JOKE! I get 9-11mbps! I signed up with Cable One 6 days ago. First day the guy came out and after 30 minutes said that they needed to put in a new cable from their box to my house. Three days go by and they put in a cable. Then 2 more days go by and they send out a guy to connect it to their modem. Tried it for less than a day and called Tech support because it was super SLOW. Spent 2 hours on the phone turning on and off the modem and playing with speed test. He said "something is VERY wrong". S L O W - 9-11 mbps! I mean that is dial-up slow.

He sent out a tech today. Tech spent 1.5 hours here and couldn't figure it out. He tried three modems. The original one, a new one from his truck (never worked), so he had to try a third one from his truck. Worked for about 1 hour and then died! Now we are back on the phone AGAIN! On hold 90% of the time! CABLE ONE SUCKS! HORRIBLE PRODUCT. HORRIBLE TECH. SUPPORT. OBVIOUSLY POORLY TRAINED INSTALLERS. Worst phone tech support I have ever used. Phone support know NOTHING and put you on hold for 10-15 minutes at a time and never solve anything.

If I could rate the Cable One CS reps as the best to worst in my life they are far and above the absolute worst. If you have a company looking to have an example of horrible, rude, disrespectful people give them a jingle you will not be disappointed. I was late by one day on an internet bill and they called me and said I need to pay 350 dollars? The bill was 50 bucks. I say "no way, I need your manager". She got then was even more rude and added a 100 more? She was actually laughing at me. I was a customer for 12 years? I hung up and called the corporate COO office. It got straightened out. Avoid this company. They hate you and love your money.

Cable One please stop adding and advertising services until you can get at least one to work. If your service was run by your billing department it would be very reliable. In Prescott Valley, AZ the internet and phone totally unreliable. With Cable One as internet & phone provider, and AT&T cell service, we are back in the stone ages with little outside communication. Another service failure from Cable One will leave no other choice but to look for another provider.

I have no choice but to use Cable ONE as our internet provider. I was upgraded to the 500GB package because of usage. My problem is how the Bandwith is monitored. "My Bandwidth" is for a calendar month whereas your billing cycle is for another calendar period. We are a streaming family and Cable ONE is the only internet provider I can use where I live. The customer service is horrible. When I found out my plan had changed without my authorization, the representative asked, "Well what do you want?" I simply replied "I would have like to have the option of making a choice." She didn't care because she knew I didn't have options. My complaint is how Cable ONE monitors your bandwidth that is not aligned with your billing cycle. This company has to be headed by Satan himself!!!

Service will be out for hours at a time, sometimes several times a week. When you call they say they will get back with you and never call back. Our service went out on a weekend and they won't come fix it until Monday! The only thing reliable about Cable One is the BILL! You will get it on time and for the full amount no matter how long you were without service. You won't get anywhere close to the "speed and reliability" with internet service that they promise. And customer service is even worse.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.
  • Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.
  • Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.
  • Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.
  • Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.
  • Best for Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers