Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.30/5

226 Cable ONE Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2019

Sparklight recently bought Cable One. I have had Cable One for years, and while it is overpriced, it was at least stable. I have paid my bill every month like clockwork. Then, Sparklight bought Cable One, and I immediately started getting notices that I was two months behind in paying my bill. Apparently, Sparklight "lost" my payment from June 2019. I have bank records to prove I paid it. This could just be a billing mistake, easily solved. But, just like Century Joke, Sparklight makes it almost impossible to get things like this resolved. You can't do it online, and you you have take your valuable time and go to "your local office" to get it resolved. This is why I quit Century Joke. Now, where am I supposed to go for an honest, responsive internet provider. I am so sick of these companies treating their customers like garbage. Shame on you, Sparklight. You have joined the scum at the bottom of your industry.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Cable ONE, now Sparklight, is by FAR the worst company we have ever had to deal with! We recently moved, and only had 2 options for internet providers. We made the wrong choice! Month 1 was fine, we paid $45 for our bill. The next month was ridiculous! I saw our bill had gone up to $86! So, we called to inquire why it had almost doubled. They said we had gone over our plan, and that was $10. She said because of that it had gone up to $65. So they doubled that and charged us $20 instead of $10. So, then we asked why there was an additional $20, and they said they charged us an overage fee of $10. Again that number was also doubled, and they would not take it down. We were told when we signed up that if you go over and need to up your plan in the middle of the billing cycle that it would be $10 with no fee.

So we were charged a $20 fee when we were told there would be no fee, and were charged $20 when we were told it would only be $10 to up your bill. THEY ARE CROOKS!! Avoid this company like the plague. They overcharged us for everything, lied to us, and then did NOTHING to help or fix their error. THEY ARE THE WORST!!! Go with any other company. I have never been so upset with a company in my life, and will be letting EVERYONE I know about this and to avoid this company at all costs! Get it together Sparklight, or you will be out of business before you know it! WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Even in the post-2016 idiocracy where scummy telecom corporations have been deregulated and given free reign over the misery of the population, Cable ONE stands out as a king of selling less for more. Contrived data caps that raise your rate once "reached" (that's not how the internet works) are bad enough, but when 30% of the time you get less than 1 single mbps when you're paying for 100, and there's nothing you can do because they have a government-approved monopoly, well, you resort to leaving bad reviews.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Of all the Cable/Internet Services I have subscribed to, Cable-One of Twin Falls Idaho, in fact all of Cable-One has to be the worst in the nation. Despite having a JD Powers Survey that ranked them number one, their TV service is down 80% of the time, you can't get Internet Broadband, bandwidth to do anything serious, if you contact them about problems, they say they'll check it out, but rarely do. The Customer Service people both for business service as well as consumer, in Arizona, has no clue as to their Idaho system health. On the same lane, little system based out of Kamas Utah, called AllWest Communications, has near 90% on service, gives great broadband bandwidth, and you only pay $300.00 a month, and it works. Call 'em with a problem, they are there the next business day.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Cable ONE is price gouging their customers on data cap limits in many parts of the country where they provide service. Cable ONE provides unlimited free data caps in three areas in ND, TX and KS. HOWEVER, everywhere else they charge $40 a month for unlimited data caps, which is outrageous! While data speed (Mbps) does tax Cable ONE's system, data cap limits do not, which makes the charges even more ridiculous.

There can only be two reasons they don't charge for unlimited data caps in those areas described above: competition from other providers or the state legislatures have prevented them from charging the cap fees. Either way, for everyone else, it's just price gauging - pure and simple. Shame on Cable One or Sparklight or whatever you call yourself. You might be changing your name but you still care about one thing and one thing only - profits!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I pay over $120 a month for high speed internet and it has dropped three times in-and-out for several days in the last month. They never give an estimated time for when they will have the issue resolved and customer service is so lackadaisical in their attitude about the inconvenience they create. I work from home and I'm in grad school so having functioning internet is required. This company sucks and charges too much for crap service. Go elsewhere!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Took half day off work to meet tech at house. Sit here for almost 6 hours. Nothing. Got call at 1:58p stating tech would arrive 330-330p. Got call at 258p stating tech would arrive 3-4p. Called a little before 5p. Was on hold over 20 mins. Finally some lady in New Mexico (I live in Texarkana, AR) said tech tried calling at 330p and got no answer so he cancelled my apt. I had my phone sitting right next to me whole time and on my recent calls I never received any call after they confirmed I was here at 158p and 258p. I am extremely unhappy and wasted and lost half day pay over this.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They are too expensive for the support that is given. You paid extra for digital and when you take it off you lose about 10 channels. They make you take the sports channel and no one watches it.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had phone service for 11! Years with CenturyLink. I got tired of their incompetent bill mistakes so switched to Cable ONE but quickly canceled the order the next day and decided to give CenturyLink another chance. Cable ONE confirmed the canceled order but a few days later my phone is shut off. Called Cable ONE and found out they lied just to get the sale. Had a three way conversation with CenturyLink and Cable ONE to fix this but instead of getting my old phone number back was given a new number. I don't want a new number. I want my old number I had for 25 years. 5 days later still no phone service. Why does it take five days to get new phone service turned on after you make an order. It should take five minutes max! Why can you hire responsible people. Too many computers running your companies and not enough people.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The internet cost is outrageous, and it keeps going up every year. But, Cable One is the only game in town. CenturyLink is much worse as far as service although it is cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Man, their internet service totally sucks! They claim to provide speeds of at least 100 mbps which is total BS. It takes 3-5 mbps to stream TV and I can’t do that without it constantly buffering. The 20 mbps I had from CenturyLink was faster than theirs. Cable One reps lie to consumers and are poorly trained. Company doesn’t care about their performance since options in Boise are limited. Service is overpriced and garbage. Canceling this junk and going back to CenturyLink where their service is reliable and they care about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Just hung up with Cable ONE. Typical corporate responses with self-serving answers. They are prepared to lose a customer over $25.00. Seems that I went over my data limit 3 different times this year. In doing so I agreed to a higher cost package. Sorry. No I did not. Have had Cable ONE internet service for almost 20 years. Never agreed to data limits. I have to admire their customer service rep telling me that I WAS WARNED. A notice was mailed out that I was going to go over my limit and warning me about it. OK SO I WAS WARNED. What am I supposed to do? Turn off the modem. Shut down my email. The email I use for work. The Work that makes the money to pay their bill. She tried to make it out like it’s no big deal. It’s on $25.00. I agree but it’s my 25 and if it’s so insignificant why do you want it.

So now I will begin the process of getting another internet provider. And when I do I may pay more. But it is something I will do because I agree to it. Not because Cable ONE thought they couldn’t make changes and that I would just agree. The whole thing is their way of trying to prevent us from using streaming TV. They are losing revenue because people are turning their cable boxes off and using more data to watch TV. Large corporations can get away with this because most people just don’t want to fight. It’s just easier to pay more and go on. Cell phone, Internet, cable, satellite doesn’t matter who. They’re willing to push us right to the limit. When we push back and threaten to cancel our service or actually do cancel service then they offer you the world. Try not doing things like this and then you won't have to defend your action with "YOU WERE WARNED."

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Over and over again I have received bad service from Cable ONE and I continue to use them because in my area Verizon/Xfinity is not available. I am DONE now. They are not in the slightest bit empathetic because they know they are the only game in our area. Their internet is slow, their cable service is not nearly as advanced as Verizon, and their customer service agents are obviously trained to treat a customer properly. They never come up with a solution and if you are not satisfied, they ask you to leave. What is that all about??? I work in the service industry and every customer we lose - we try and exam why and make it better in the future. Why hasn't Cable ONE caught on to that concept. If you have options - I highly recommend you use someone else!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been getting overage usage warnings for the past 3 months. Today I got another one. They claim I used 240 GB on downloads yesterday. I do not think that is possible given our minor usage yesterday. We did no streaming of movies and very little computer or iPhone usage. Even if we were streaming movies all day long, we wouldn't use that much. I am told a HD movie is about 8 GB, so we would have to stream 30 movies??? If each movie is 2 hours long, that's 60 hours of movie watching in 24 hours??? Is anyone else getting this type of possibly false feedback from Cable One? If so text me at **.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have Comcast in Washington State and also I have Cable One service in Boise Idaho. When comparing the data offered for the price the difference is startling. Comcast shows that I have 150 Mbps download speed for a triple play experience $120 month. Cable One shows that I have 1 Mbps download speed for $45 dollars a month no tv and no phone. They send updates that show your usage is about to go over your allowed amount. I am in Washington for a month and I have my adult staying there and they are trying to tell me that it is going over! Internet highway robbery on the part of Cable One.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I just moved to the area. The only choice for internet service is CableOne. So, I was forced to go with these guys. I figured it couldn't be that bad - even though I read tons of reviews stating how horrible they were/are. I found out those reviews were true today. I had scheduled earlier in the week for them to come out to my house to turn on service today (Friday). They never came out. I waited for a door knock, maybe my doorbell would go off or possible a phone call to let me know they were here. I got nothing. I also have dogs and when strangers come to the door or park in front of the house they bark - like they're supposed to do. They never barked... because no one ever showed up.

So, at 5 pm I called to see what was going on. Maybe the guy got in an accident, or stuck in a traffic jam. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. The customer rep told me the install had been cancelled because "no one was home." WTF?! I was at home, waiting. Long story short: I told the rep to cancel my account and refund my money (I later found out it takes up to 6 weeks to get my money back - sheesh this company). I'm a pretty understanding person but when you outright lie about "no one being home" just because you don't want to do your job then a mental red flag goes up and I begin thinking that if you can't do the basics truthfully how can I rely on you to take care of me when something unexpected comes up. I immediately foresaw problems. Therefore, I voted with my wallet. Stay away from them. Get a highspeed hotspot. FYI: I didn't bother doublechecking for typing errors so... yeah.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Worst internet service I've ever experienced. They use fraudulent bandwidth usage monitoring to force you to pay for 2-3x your actual data usage. Their service is spotty at best; promising 150Mbps+ download speed, often delivering less than 3Mbps actual download speed. Funniest part, ONLY their speed test using their servers will falsely show the full (advertised) download speed; ALL other tests will show the reality of their sub-standard service. For what it's worth, customer service representatives and field service techs are courteous and professional.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Everyone knows ISP's are lying scum-sucking scourges on humanity. It barely helps to leave bad reviews, because even if Cable One, for example, has an average 1.5 out of 5 star rating, so do all the other ISP's. But even if there were a good ISP to switch to, it wouldn't cover my area, because ISP's essentially maintain regional monopolies. So when my connection marketed as 100 Mbps only comes in at 3 Mbps if I'm lucky, and 0.5 if I'm not, I have no choice but to call Cable One to ask them to fix it, at which point they mumble something about Wifi congestion, despite the fact that I'm not using Wifi. I even chose to rent a modem/router from them so that they couldn't blame my hardware. So either I'm experiencing Wifi congestion over Ethernet, or Cable One is lying again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had issues with Cable One in the past but not the people but equipment. I went through 6 modem/router combos in 4 months. I was about to switch but then thought I'd try buying my own equipment. Bingo. My problems were gone. I bought a modem and router separately for the best connection. No issues. If you're having slow or dropping signals try getting your own gear. Yes it does cost but over time it pays for itself.

Original review: June 6, 2018

The internet part of the bundled package is not that bad, but getting the "phone service" as part of the bundle STINKS! Seventeen years of Qwest/Centurylink phone service without problems. Cable One has been nothing but problems. Can't hear caller, disconnects, caller can't hear me, etc. Cable One requires a 3-year contract, so they are immune from complaints. DEFINITELY will not continue with Cable One after contract! VERY POOR product and service!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Cable ONE is far too expensive considering the quality and quantity of the product. The channel line up is very confusing because of the intermixing of HD channels. DVR is antiquated.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I use this company just because they are the only ones that go to my home. I have learned to call for tech support because they just act as if I am dumb. After calling them for about two years of having bad service and sitting at home waiting for servicemen to never show up I finally took my modem into the local office and turned out that I should have never had that one. It was not used and this is the reason I had not had good service. Service is better now as long as I don’t need to communicate with the workers. The online site for bill pay and things is a joke. Very outdated.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Cancelled our tv service back in November. Wishing to keep our internet service (only internet provider in the area). Still paid for it until March. Went in paid the full outrageous bill for the service I had cancelled. I was told the account was current plus a credit for the next month. Just got our service shut off for non payment. I have not received a bill from them. Of course when I call in I have no choice but to pay the outrageous bill to reconnect my services so I can work from home. Of course there are no records of the previous conversations, weird right. The whole experience with Cable One has been frustrating from the beginning. The only recommendations I would make is AVOID IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Worst company in terms of customer service. Why you ask? There is none! Cable ONE's 1800 numbers do absolutely do nothing but route you to a local office. My local office just happens to close what seems to be a few minutes after noon! I can never make it to the office because I too work normal business hours M-F. I currently have internet service only which is awesome, but these people are no better than Hitler when it comes to service or customer rights and respect. This company will automatically increase your packages as they see fit without your consent. I originally was on a $55/Month plan. I was then increased to the $100 (ish) plan, then again to the $130/Month plan all within a years time. Why you ask? I went over my usage x3 months... it doesn't matter if it's 1mb over or 1tb over.

There isn't a slowed service as most will do... nope, they just increase your bill without consent and will not do anything about it until your average data usage is at your package level or lower. If you try and cancel, they will, but that doesn't scare them into doing what the customer wants. Business ethics are not here, believe that. This company owes me approx $300 over the last 7 months, and I have yet to go after that, but I currently have not paid my bill because I don't agree with it! That's ok... will turn new service on in another account and name if they decided to shut off!

I am not paying them currently because my average usage is way below my plan option, and they have yet to lower my plan as requested. I'm guessing because they don't feel like it! Well I requested this about 9 months ago or so, and have just noticed nothing had been done. I haven't noticed because I usually have auto pay and don't pay attention to that. Unfortunately, any other option in my area is no better than dial-up or dsl and who has time for that?! I really wish AT&T would have U-verse out here. Yes it's dsl, but it never seemed like dsl when I had it years ago, and never once had problems with it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My internet was always shutting down so I had Cable ONE come out and check it. They took my modem that I paid for and replaced it with one of their's that cost me an extra $12.50 a month. I still have problems with my internet, the point is my modem has a warranty if it was bad I can get it replaced. I have called Cable ONE 4 different times trying to get it back and they said they will leave a message with headquarters. It's been almost 2 months and I still have not returned my modem back to me. I have went down to their office and they say they don't have it there. This is very bad business. Doesn't seem like they care at all and every year my bill goes up in price. I'm vixen to switch to AT&T.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've had Cable ONE before, but ditched them for AT&T "High Speed" DSL in 2014. Worst mistake I've ever made. I barely got 2 Mbps DOWN and 128 KBPS Up if I was lucky, and most of the time it didn't work at all. Not to mention the 150GB data cap. After putting up with AT&T for nearly 3.5 years, I came back to Cable ONE. There are not many providers where I live, maybe 3 or 4, wired and wireless providers combined. I don't think Cable ONE deserves all the hate they get for their service.

I have had the service for over 8 months now and it has worked perfectly ever since. I have no complaints whatsoever. I understand that this is not the case for everyone, and other people could have legitimate issues with Cable ONE where they live. I just want to share my personal experience with this company. I pay $80/month, no tax, no fees, for the "Family Plan" which is 150 Mbps Down and 5 Mbps Up, with a 600GB data cap. No matter what time of day it is, even in the evenings, I get more speed than I pay for.

The service has never gone out and I have never gone over my cap, even though some days I use up to 35GB. Most people complain about the data caps. Especially when in some places that have fiber available with symmetrical gigabit speeds and unlimited data. My family members all have Cable ONE also and they love the service too. The service where I live is excellent and I have had no issues with their customer service and would highly recommend them. Unless you already have them and/or hate them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

2/28/18: Because of the total unavailability of Cable ONE I have been forced to seek relief in a less jaundiced venue. Cable One's answers to me, the FCC and the AG have been blustering, bloviating, bewildering, bullying etc., non-answers. Cable One has tried to make me jump through hoops and waste time trying to get the answer to a problem created totally by Cable One. TO WIT: The payment of bills to which I do not understand the charges. A straight answer to this question has turned into a pilgrimage.

Despite the pompously, bullying rude treatment received; I am willing to settle this matter to save the court's and my time as follows. 1- The piddling payment of $1000. For the pomposity, bullying, casuistry bloviating, rudeness and general incivility, preferred by this company. 2- $150 for court costs to this point. 3- The refund of all amounts paid unnecessarily for over 100 gqtrs, or whatever, speed. Given my past treatment, I expect Cable One to act upon this good faith offer immediately or a bit sooner.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This company absolutely disgusts me, and my star rating is 1 but I would give them -5 if I could. We've been customers of theirs for about 7 or 8 years, and for a while, they were alright. But then, out of nowhere, they implemented a 300GB data cap, which they KNOW you'll go over, and that allows them to charge you more and slow your internet down even more. And note that when they implemented the cap, they told nobody. They just silently slipped it in and let people call and ask why they were suddenly being charged more, to which they would respond that they've always had a data cap.

They advertise 100Mbps and I have about 20 on a good day. I haven't been able to watch a single episode of anything on Hulu for the past 4 nights without it needing to buffer every 10 seconds. We do have 4 people in the house who stream shows and whatnot, but the thing is it's still slow as hell even when nobody's been doing anything on it all day. There will be no one home all day, and then when I come home and turn on a show, boom, it's immediately buffering

And you know why they do this? Why they charge people for going over a very small data cap? Why they treat their loyal customers like garbage? Because a lot of the time they're the only option in an area. We have two major ISPs here for the time being, CenturyLink and Cable One. Cable One is apparently BETTER than CenturyLink, but they're still absolute trash. They can do whatever they want because they know their customers have nowhere else to go, which is absolutely disgusting. It's disgusting how they treat people who have kept them in business for this long

For now, we have to put up with them, along with everyone else in my city. TruFiber (not sure if it's more of a local company or not but they provide fiber optic internet for a much lower cost, or about the same), is currently being installed and I'm very much looking forward to them putting Cable One out of business and crashing them into the ground

And the last thing I'd like to talk about is the prices. Like I said, Cable One implemented a data cap. Well because of that cap, we WERE paying about $50 a month for some pretty decent internet. NOW we're paying about $150 a month for terrible, spotty internet that doesn't even work how it's supposed to half the time. If Tru Fiber has the same prices, I would be more than happy to pay it because I've heard their ** actually works as intended and is insanely fast. Cable One overcharges for garbage. My advice to every Cable One customer is to just find someone else. Anyone. It's hard to find something worse than them. Request better internet in your town and switch to them. They deserve to be put out of business for good, and I'm really looking forward to that happening

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We have had Cable ONE on and off for years now, and it has always been the same dog and pony show, they go into underserved areas, and provide a better service than anybody else at a price just slightly higher than everyone else, and justify the difference with the better service which I am happy to pay. Now in the last two years I have moved 3 times, each time I set up a new account instead of transferring my plan as I would then get a new line account. The last two times I have done this, as soon as the introductory rate has expired they start sending me notices about my data usage. Now I have tracked my own data usage through my personal router for years and my numbers never match up with their numbers, they claim to have an independent company validate their data usage numbers but, when you dig into it, they pay NetForecast for that validation so how independent can they actually be when they need to please their customer.

I have sent my data information and how it is collected to Cable ONE, I have had their techs look at my router settings, and how it collects the data, and the tech said it is set up correctly, they cannot tell me why the data usage is so high, our wifi is protected heavily and we have all of our streaming services set to medium quality or lower, there is no indication as to why it jumps as soon as the introductory period is over yet it does. Once you do that 3 times a year they force you to the next highest data plan, and it isn't 3 times since the first overage it is 12 months since the last overage, so on the second overage if you are good for 11 months and don't jump the cap, and you go over in the 12th month they still force you to relocate to the next highest data plan.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

The charges (105 dollars a month for internet alone capping data) are astronomical, and they automatically upgrade customers who use more data. They should be thankful customers use and have a good time with their internet access instead of locking them in the "bad room" for going a few YouTube videos over the "DATA" limit. WTF is this 1990s cellphone carriers? We need more internet service providers with better pricing, this is ridiculous!!

Cable ONE expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.

• Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.

• Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.

• Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.

• Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.

• Best for: Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs