Cable ONE

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a customer of Cable ONE internet for 16 years. I have NEVER once gone over their "300 gig" limit on my internet until September of 2016. I work from home on my computer and nothing has changed those 10 years since I began working from home. I do not have Netflix or any other program that would cause my internet usage to skyrocket. In September of 2016 I received a notice from Cable ONE that said I had used 320 gigs of data. I was shocked since this is the very first time I had even heard that there was a limit to the amount of data that I could use. I was warned that if I exceeded the 300 gig limit three times in twelve months, they were going to increase my bill by $25.00. I currently pay $55.00 a month.

I received another notice in November of 2016 that I had again used 323 gigs of data. I called customer service again and told them that there must be some mistake because I am certainly not using that much data. 323 gigs seems extremely excessive and I don't even know how I could use that much. They assured me that I am wrong and they are right. Of course there is no proof. Just their word against mine. I just received my current bill and it shows my total due is $88.93.

I called customer service and was told that I exceeded my 300 gig limit in January and now my bill will be higher. I asked her if she would be willing to move me back to the $55 a month I have been paying since I have been a loyal customer for SIXTEEN YEARS. She said she couldn't do that. I am now contacting Century Link to see if they would like to have my business. I am so tired of being accused of using excess data when I know that Cable ONE is lying about the amount of data I am using. Someone has got to stop these companies from cheating people out of money with NO proof.

We were forced to upgrade our internet because Cable ONE said we were going our data plan. First time they tried to do this. I checked the usage times and the highest was a time we were not home! The second time they said upgrade or lose service. So now with our cable bill it's almost 300 a month. The free cable boxes? Ha! We are being charged for those too. We know we weren't using the data they say we were. Laptop wasn't working and only one kid using internet. I know my cell phone isn't using all the data.

We bought Roku TV's and will be cutting all but economy cable. See how the bill looks then. Plus the sports fees for channels we don't want or watch is wrong too. I'm sure we will be forced to upgrade again soon. The price difference jumps drastically when you get to using more data. When I posted on Facebook about the forced upgrade I found out that everyone in our town and the next got the same letters. It's a lie and wrong if we aren't using it.

I've been with Cable One for 3 years. Their prices are deceptive. I pay for the high speed due to their manipulation of data speed and the service is still very poor. I've spoken with technical support numerous times and have been verbally abused. Had one tech scream at me and tell me to "shut up" because he was talking so fast I couldn't understand his instructions. When I repeatedly asked him to talk slow his response was "shut up." I reported this but nothing was done. He still works there because I was unfortunate enough to have him take my tech call at a later date. When I asked to speak to some else & explained why he hung up. Had to call tech support a couple of days ago because my email and other features were not working. The tech said I need new modem.

The Cable One installer came and started arguing with me in my own home telling me it was not the modem it was my device. Apparently according to him all my devices, which are new number the way, are faulty. I explained that sounds wrong. My devices are new. He began to argue with me. I asked why tech support claimed it was a faulty Cable One modem. He's says he doesn't know why they made this claim. He wouldn't even stay long enough to see if modem worked. It didn't because he never showed me how to locate pass code on modem. He just says code is in the modem. There are seven different number sequences on that modem so I had to call tech support to finish the job the installer neglected to do.

The tech reports my claim and says someone will contact me. I received voice mail from someone in my local Cable One office in Joplin Missouri but the call back number put me onto the main menu so the person that answers has no idea what or who I was referring to. Very Deceptive. Also I had an outage for 4 days due to Cable One's reason was an ice storm in my area. There was no I don't storm. When I called to request rate reduction for outage they tell me "thank you for being a loyal value customer." Then low balled me mail on the credit I was due had the nerve to offer me $4. When I said that was not enough she then offered $10. I do not trust this company at all. I'm leaving Cable One for AT&T.

We are seriously getting fed up with Cable One and are going to switch to CenturyLink despite having slower speeds. For the third month in a row now we have gotten a notification, claiming that we have exceeded our allotted data. Ridiculous. There are just two people in our household and we work all day. Just another glorified way to squeeze more money out of people.

Cable ONE implemented ridiculous Data Caps for their high speed internet service. If you go over the cap they force you to upgrade to a much more expensive plan. 300gb/month for their 100mb/s service. The only other option in Idaho is obsolete DSL with CenturyLink. We have been loyal customers since the 1990's, we will be switching to CenturyLink when our third warning letter arrives. Even though they have slower internet speeds, they have no data cap and it's cheaper. Seriously ** Cable One, greedy bastards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Cable One is obviously taking advantage of its customers in the area I live in. They are the only cable/high-speed internet provider. Everyone I know who has their service received a letter in the mail stating that we had gone over our allotted data and they were forcing us to move up to a more expensive package. There was no way this was true because I was out of town working during this time, but since there is no one else, unless you want a very slow satellite Internet, we are stuck like Chuck in the muck. If you are even remotely considering cable one I strongly recommend going without rather than using their dishonest service.

Back in August 2016 Cable One put new data caps in place. I originally had 50 Mbps internet with no data cap. They changed that to 100 Mbps and a 300GB data cap. That may sound like a lot, but for any kind of video streaming it absolutely isn't. Most other cable internet ISPs have a 1TB data cap which is much more reasonable. Cable One claims that this is to help curb the usage of the highest level users, but it's obvious what is going on. People are cutting the cord and not paying for cable TV so they have to get more money from their internet offering. I'd be fine if they just raised the rates of the unlimited a bit or just offered better data cap options. I've been happy with the service before the cap, and if they increased the cap sizes at the various pricing levels I would be okay with it. At the current state I am very displeased with Cable One and would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

I absolutely hate Cable One and its service. The data caps are outrageous as well as its too pricey. We keep going over them and every 3 months keep getting bumped up. I got rid of my home computer as well as PS4 and we're still going over them!!! Makes me so mad. Sorry we all have cellphones and tablets and video consoles that use data. Clearly Cable One doesn't understand that. The only reason I unfortunately still have them is because there is no other internet provider in the area. They also changed the Cable TV lineup and took away half of the regularly watched shows by my family so we dropped that as well.

I have been using Linux since 1995. I have been using Linux EXCLUSIVELY since 2005. Cable One does not support Linux at all. At all!!! Most of the tech support may have heard of Linux, but they have no clue about what Linux is. REALLY, Linux is more popular than Apple (Mac). When Midco comes online in the next three months, I am going to bail on Cable One, unless they give me a damn good reason why I should stay! Damn it!!!

I upgraded to Cable One's "100Mbps" service four months ago. The fastest download speed I've seen thus far has been about 60 Mbps, but only one time. The slowest was this morning when I tested it after having trouble streaming videos from a news website: < 3 Mbps! That's worse than the service I had before I upgraded. It's unacceptable, but in this area - Sherman, TX - there is no viable alternative.

Charge for internet but are unable to install it. So they set up an appointment to install internet at my house between 130 and 230 yet when I get there at 220 they have already came and gone, I guess in the Cable One world no one else works...

Called to set up an appointment. Didn't get internet set up for fifteen days. Really guys? Then big blocks of time to wait at home to see if you'll show up.

I live in a 55+ community in Arizona and Cable One locked in a monopoly on internet by owning the phone lines and refusing to allow firms like CenturyLink to use them. So if you want Internet, CO is the only choice. Worse, they consistently raise fees, claiming your broadband usage exceeds the cheaper categories. Oddly, they never give guidelines on how they reach this conclusion. Then if you bring your usage down, they tell you they won't bump you down to a cheaper category for THREE MONTHS. I've screwed them, though: I use our club house internet and told Cable One to take a hike. Oh, one more thing: They won't sell you their modem. You rent it endlessly for $8 a month. I've complained to the FCC and the state's version of a consumer protection agency, but neither of them have replied. Best reply: Don't do business with Cable One.

Cable One is a pieces of ** over priced bad internet. I had an issue of them overcharging and they told me they would take care of the issues. I called three months in a row and each time they said they would take care of the issues. On the fourth month I told them I'm canceling them now they're going to charge me three months of back charges onto my final bill. Very, very dishonest company.

Cable has a bad service but they charge too much. When you ask them why the internet cuts off they can't give you answers. They have blocked AT&T just because we live outskirt and all we can get is Cable One. Don't get Cable One TV or internet, you will cry and they will take your money. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise, that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough. I wish I can add my receipt but it's all down online. My account is active Cable One account.

First off I'd say the one shining beacon of Cable ONE is their "no contract" policy. But that being said their arrogance makes that a rather non-issue. Of course their product was very overpriced before their conversion to digital but since then it's just overpriced and garbage. Two required digital converters for free and any additional ones five dollars extra each month. Converter remotes that don't work correctly on any TV in the house which promotes further aggravation. Their 2nd tier line up is pure garbage yet they are quick to show what's on the higher tiers as a despicable ploy to entice customers to upgrade their service.

Internet is not bad though it is overpriced and I was "without option" placed into the 300 tier for usage but considering they show ** for programming I tend to use more data watching Netflix, Hulu, xbox video, etc. I currently pay 197.00 a month and only can use the service in half the house considering paying for two extra converter boxes would have totaled an extra 120.00 each year for the same thing I had before their conversion which by the way I see no difference in picture or programming quality since their change over. Another issue they have failed to provide an answer to is if I have four smart TV's in the house which are 100% digital why do I need a digital converter anyway? Cable One claims they are pushing a 100% digital signal through their lines.

So all in all I'd say the following: Programming: 1 out of 5 stars. Internet: 4 out of 5 stars. Cost: 0 out of 5 stars. Simply not worth the money on the cable side. Customer Service: 1 out of 5 stars. Equipment: 1 out of 5 stars. Terrible idea with the converter boxes. I think they are required more to the point of keeping people from illegally hooking up to the cable. Of course they are penalizing their paying customer base in order to accomplish this.

I have paid and paid Cable ONE. They are charging me an outrageous amount for billing and cable. I paid over 500.00 in deposits and ended up with metered internet. Who still does that? It is just a way to charge extra on the bill. Unlike the large cities they are the only game in town for wired internet. They have managed to keep Fios and AT&T out of the area so it is a charge what you want to picnic for them and they do that. My bill is over 217 per month compared to the 140.00 per month that Verizon charges for the same services when they are available in your area. The internet is unreliable and keeps popping up as unavailable even though I am on the 200 mbps plan. I went online to see why they are the only ones available in my area but could not find an answer. Sherman is not so small it could not support competition.

Cable One is again scamming the American consumer. They of course, send you a letter saying you have gone over and this is your third notice. However, they never sent you a first or second letter. Furthermore, the data usage is false given that we were out town a few days and everything was unplug that uses data. Cable One is the worse, a very crooked and right out dishonest. This company needs to be shut down for good for committing fraud. Watch your data and you will be surprise that you're not using as much like Cable One is telling you. The said company is scamming their customers once again. Enough is enough.

Constant errors. They keep changing my auto billing account information with nonexistent card information so they can hit me with a late charge so every month I have to give them the right info again. They claim insane amounts of data usage was used but me and my family are gone for most of the day and you can't check on it because nothing works in the website. It always says site is not accessible or run time error or incorrect info. I've tried with my laptop, my desktop, smartphone and friend's computer. Plus the billing department works when I'm at work. When I try during lunch time the wait time is longer than my lunch time. Not many options. Both them and Century Link are hot garbage.

They said I would get around 100mbps. What a JOKE! I get 9-11mbps! I signed up with Cable One 6 days ago. First day the guy came out and after 30 minutes said that they needed to put in a new cable from their box to my house. Three days go by and they put in a cable. Then 2 more days go by and they send out a guy to connect it to their modem. Tried it for less than a day and called Tech support because it was super SLOW. Spent 2 hours on the phone turning on and off the modem and playing with speed test. He said "something is VERY wrong". S L O W - 9-11 mbps! I mean that is dial-up slow.

He sent out a tech today. Tech spent 1.5 hours here and couldn't figure it out. He tried three modems. The original one, a new one from his truck (never worked), so he had to try a third one from his truck. Worked for about 1 hour and then died! Now we are back on the phone AGAIN! On hold 90% of the time! CABLE ONE SUCKS! HORRIBLE PRODUCT. HORRIBLE TECH. SUPPORT. OBVIOUSLY POORLY TRAINED INSTALLERS. Worst phone tech support I have ever used. Phone support know NOTHING and put you on hold for 10-15 minutes at a time and never solve anything.

If I could rate the Cable One CS reps as the best to worst in my life they are far and above the absolute worst. If you have a company looking to have an example of horrible, rude, disrespectful people give them a jingle you will not be disappointed. I was late by one day on an internet bill and they called me and said I need to pay 350 dollars? The bill was 50 bucks. I say "no way, I need your manager". She got then was even more rude and added a 100 more? She was actually laughing at me. I was a customer for 12 years? I hung up and called the corporate COO office. It got straightened out. Avoid this company. They hate you and love your money.

Cable One please stop adding and advertising services until you can get at least one to work. If your service was run by your billing department it would be very reliable. In Prescott Valley, AZ the internet and phone totally unreliable. With Cable One as internet & phone provider, and AT&T cell service, we are back in the stone ages with little outside communication. Another service failure from Cable One will leave no other choice but to look for another provider.

I have no choice but to use Cable ONE as our internet provider. I was upgraded to the 500GB package because of usage. My problem is how the Bandwith is monitored. "My Bandwidth" is for a calendar month whereas your billing cycle is for another calendar period. We are a streaming family and Cable ONE is the only internet provider I can use where I live. The customer service is horrible. When I found out my plan had changed without my authorization, the representative asked, "Well what do you want?" I simply replied "I would have like to have the option of making a choice." She didn't care because she knew I didn't have options. My complaint is how Cable ONE monitors your bandwidth that is not aligned with your billing cycle. This company has to be headed by Satan himself!!!

Service will be out for hours at a time, sometimes several times a week. When you call they say they will get back with you and never call back. Our service went out on a weekend and they won't come fix it until Monday! The only thing reliable about Cable One is the BILL! You will get it on time and for the full amount no matter how long you were without service. You won't get anywhere close to the "speed and reliability" with internet service that they promise. And customer service is even worse.

I was bullied into upgrading to a higher level after I reached Cable One's data cap 300GB. I must say, for the $130/mo I would expect much better transfer rates, and we get plenty of dropout times. I average 45Mbs down, and 10Mbs up. I would expect more in range of 70+ Mrs download. The ironic part is that they "offer" a business rate for more Mbs at cheaper, but they won't allow me that. I wish there were more competition, for improved product and customer service.

I signed up for Cable One almost a year ago. We have 2 TVs that we stream to (through Roku and PS3) and we use wifi on our phones. In that year, the internet has been very unstable. It would shut off, freeze, or just pixelate images for days at a time. Each time we'd call, we'd get the same support of "unplug the modem for 30 minutes and it should work." I would often ask for prorated amounts for days lost and be told they don't do that. Now, they have completely disconnected my service and are asking $360 to reconnect. The reason? I was late on my payment by a month. I paid $105 to ensure it was up to date but they are insisting the $360 be paid. Now, I understand that yes, I was late, but there was no warning, no "you need to pay by this date" or anything.

I paid on Friday afternoon and Friday night, they "hard" disconnected me. When I called tech support, they didn't even tell me why -- just said the usual support advice. I refuse to pay to reconnect when the service was already terrible. Also, they have a monopoly on my area... Every other company except Dish says they aren't available in my area and then they actually refer me to Cable One. That is ridiculous!

I see other people have reported a similar issue. We use Cable One for TV and Internet and have for years. When we moved into our new place 3 years ago, they had an arrangement for using 50 GBs a month and paying extra for every GB over. We never went over and had been told they weren't enforcing it. I don't know when the new 300 GB data caps were put in and enforced, because we only found out after getting warnings of going over. We didn't change our usage habits from before when we were barely using 50GBs so this seemed impossible.

Another reviewer mentioned having problems since August; our overages supposedly started occurring in July (we went on vacation, so...). We are trying to give the benefit of the doubt to them after being forced into a higher data cap plan we don't want by getting a new router, changing passwords, and making sure nothing is running in the background, but so far it doesn't appear to be helping. (We stream Netflix a lot, but use low quality and even if we use the data calculator provided by the company and fill it out according to gross overestimates of what we actually use, we shouldn't be hitting this data cap. We've gotten a couple more devices since we started, but it's not like we use them all at once.) I'm getting more suspicious of how data is tallied.

I have had Cable One for 8 years now and they were great for a long time. Nowadays their customer service is awful. I was threatened by them for going over my 300 gig bandwidth limit which I didn't even know what a thing. If you go over the 300 gig internet limit then they try to force you to upgrade to a higher package which is a joke. Much rather have DSL and have no data limit than be bullied by these **. Stay away from this company.

I am tired of watching the TV in the evening because it constantly pixelates and we miss a lot of the dialogue. We pay a lot of money for our services and it's not right that we can't have a good signal all the time. We've been told that it has to do with a transmission difficulty from Phoenix to our area. I wish they would get this fixed because it is NOT fair to the consumers. They should give each customer in this area that has the problem a huge break on our bills until it gets FIXED!

After having cable one for a year we got tired of them and decided to go with DSL. Cable one forced us to upgrade our package because we went over our 300GB a month. Basically if you stream 2 movies a day you're going to go over. They offer 100 mb which is great but not if you have watch what your kids are watching. If you have kids and multiple devices. Good luck not getting ripped off by this company. This is by far the worse company I have ever dealt with. I called and they basically told me to pay 105 instead of the 55 I was paying. I told the rep I wasnt going to double my bill and still be CAPPED. What a joke? Save yourself a headache and dont even bother with them. I got offered 20mb for 30 a month. Slower but its fast enough to stream whatever I want and don't have to worry about Cable One Data usage.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.
  • Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.
  • Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.
  • Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.
  • Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.
  • Best for Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers