1.28/5
Based on 199 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 13, 2018

206 Cable ONE Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2018

Cable ONE is far too expensive considering the quality and quantity of the product. The channel line up is very confusing because of the intermixing of HD channels. DVR is antiquated.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I use this company just because they are the only ones that go to my home. I have learned to call for tech support because they just act as if I am dumb. After calling them for about two years of having bad service and sitting at home waiting for servicemen to never show up I finally took my modem into the local office and turned out that I should have never had that one. It was not used and this is the reason I had not had good service. Service is better now as long as I don’t need to communicate with the workers. The online site for bill pay and things is a joke. Very outdated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Cancelled our tv service back in November. Wishing to keep our internet service (only internet provider in the area). Still paid for it until March. Went in paid the full outrageous bill for the service I had cancelled. I was told the account was current plus a credit for the next month. Just got our service shut off for non payment. I have not received a bill from them. Of course when I call in I have no choice but to pay the outrageous bill to reconnect my services so I can work from home. Of course there are no records of the previous conversations, weird right. The whole experience with Cable One has been frustrating from the beginning. The only recommendations I would make is AVOID IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Worst company in terms of customer service. Why you ask? There is none! Cable ONE's 1800 numbers do absolutely do nothing but route you to a local office. My local office just happens to close what seems to be a few minutes after noon! I can never make it to the office because I too work normal business hours M-F. I currently have internet service only which is awesome, but these people are no better than Hitler when it comes to service or customer rights and respect. This company will automatically increase your packages as they see fit without your consent. I originally was on a $55/Month plan. I was then increased to the $100 (ish) plan, then again to the $130/Month plan all within a years time. Why you ask? I went over my usage x3 months... it doesn't matter if it's 1mb over or 1tb over.

There isn't a slowed service as most will do... nope, they just increase your bill without consent and will not do anything about it until your average data usage is at your package level or lower. If you try and cancel, they will, but that doesn't scare them into doing what the customer wants. Business ethics are not here, believe that. This company owes me approx $300 over the last 7 months, and I have yet to go after that, but I currently have not paid my bill because I don't agree with it! That's ok... will turn new service on in another account and name if they decided to shut off!

I am not paying them currently because my average usage is way below my plan option, and they have yet to lower my plan as requested. I'm guessing because they don't feel like it! Well I requested this about 9 months ago or so, and have just noticed nothing had been done. I haven't noticed because I usually have auto pay and don't pay attention to that. Unfortunately, any other option in my area is no better than dial-up or dsl and who has time for that?! I really wish AT&T would have U-verse out here. Yes it's dsl, but it never seemed like dsl when I had it years ago, and never once had problems with it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My internet was always shutting down so I had Cable ONE come out and check it. They took my modem that I paid for and replaced it with one of their's that cost me an extra $12.50 a month. I still have problems with my internet, the point is my modem has a warranty if it was bad I can get it replaced. I have called Cable ONE 4 different times trying to get it back and they said they will leave a message with headquarters. It's been almost 2 months and I still have not returned my modem back to me. I have went down to their office and they say they don't have it there. This is very bad business. Doesn't seem like they care at all and every year my bill goes up in price. I'm vixen to switch to AT&T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cable ONE?

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've had Cable ONE before, but ditched them for AT&T "High Speed" DSL in 2014. Worst mistake I've ever made. I barely got 2 Mbps DOWN and 128 KBPS Up if I was lucky, and most of the time it didn't work at all. Not to mention the 150GB data cap. After putting up with AT&T for nearly 3.5 years, I came back to Cable ONE. There are not many providers where I live, maybe 3 or 4, wired and wireless providers combined. I don't think Cable ONE deserves all the hate they get for their service.

I have had the service for over 8 months now and it has worked perfectly ever since. I have no complaints whatsoever. I understand that this is not the case for everyone, and other people could have legitimate issues with Cable ONE where they live. I just want to share my personal experience with this company. I pay $80/month, no tax, no fees, for the "Family Plan" which is 150 Mbps Down and 5 Mbps Up, with a 600GB data cap. No matter what time of day it is, even in the evenings, I get more speed than I pay for.

The service has never gone out and I have never gone over my cap, even though some days I use up to 35GB. Most people complain about the data caps. Especially when in some places that have fiber available with symmetrical gigabit speeds and unlimited data. My family members all have Cable ONE also and they love the service too. The service where I live is excellent and I have had no issues with their customer service and would highly recommend them. Unless you already have them and/or hate them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

2/28/18: Because of the total unavailability of Cable ONE I have been forced to seek relief in a less jaundiced venue. Cable One's answers to me, the FCC and the AG have been blustering, bloviating, bewildering, bullying etc., non-answers. Cable One has tried to make me jump through hoops and waste time trying to get the answer to a problem created totally by Cable One. TO WIT: The payment of bills to which I do not understand the charges. A straight answer to this question has turned into a pilgrimage.

Despite the pompously, bullying rude treatment received; I am willing to settle this matter to save the court's and my time as follows. 1- The piddling payment of $1000. For the pomposity, bullying, casuistry bloviating, rudeness and general incivility, preferred by this company. 2- $150 for court costs to this point. 3- The refund of all amounts paid unnecessarily for over 100 gqtrs, or whatever, speed. Given my past treatment, I expect Cable One to act upon this good faith offer immediately or a bit sooner.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This company absolutely disgusts me, and my star rating is 1 but I would give them -5 if I could. We've been customers of theirs for about 7 or 8 years, and for a while, they were alright. But then, out of nowhere, they implemented a 300GB data cap, which they KNOW you'll go over, and that allows them to charge you more and slow your internet down even more. And note that when they implemented the cap, they told nobody. They just silently slipped it in and let people call and ask why they were suddenly being charged more, to which they would respond that they've always had a data cap.

They advertise 100Mbps and I have about 20 on a good day. I haven't been able to watch a single episode of anything on Hulu for the past 4 nights without it needing to buffer every 10 seconds. We do have 4 people in the house who stream shows and whatnot, but the thing is it's still slow as hell even when nobody's been doing anything on it all day. There will be no one home all day, and then when I come home and turn on a show, boom, it's immediately buffering

And you know why they do this? Why they charge people for going over a very small data cap? Why they treat their loyal customers like garbage? Because a lot of the time they're the only option in an area. We have two major ISPs here for the time being, CenturyLink and Cable One. Cable One is apparently BETTER than CenturyLink, but they're still absolute trash. They can do whatever they want because they know their customers have nowhere else to go, which is absolutely disgusting. It's disgusting how they treat people who have kept them in business for this long

For now, we have to put up with them, along with everyone else in my city. TruFiber (not sure if it's more of a local company or not but they provide fiber optic internet for a much lower cost, or about the same), is currently being installed and I'm very much looking forward to them putting Cable One out of business and crashing them into the ground

And the last thing I'd like to talk about is the prices. Like I said, Cable One implemented a data cap. Well because of that cap, we WERE paying about $50 a month for some pretty decent internet. NOW we're paying about $150 a month for terrible, spotty internet that doesn't even work how it's supposed to half the time. If Tru Fiber has the same prices, I would be more than happy to pay it because I've heard their ** actually works as intended and is insanely fast. Cable One overcharges for garbage. My advice to every Cable One customer is to just find someone else. Anyone. It's hard to find something worse than them. Request better internet in your town and switch to them. They deserve to be put out of business for good, and I'm really looking forward to that happening

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We have had Cable ONE on and off for years now, and it has always been the same dog and pony show, they go into underserved areas, and provide a better service than anybody else at a price just slightly higher than everyone else, and justify the difference with the better service which I am happy to pay. Now in the last two years I have moved 3 times, each time I set up a new account instead of transferring my plan as I would then get a new line account. The last two times I have done this, as soon as the introductory rate has expired they start sending me notices about my data usage. Now I have tracked my own data usage through my personal router for years and my numbers never match up with their numbers, they claim to have an independent company validate their data usage numbers but, when you dig into it, they pay NetForecast for that validation so how independent can they actually be when they need to please their customer.

I have sent my data information and how it is collected to Cable ONE, I have had their techs look at my router settings, and how it collects the data, and the tech said it is set up correctly, they cannot tell me why the data usage is so high, our wifi is protected heavily and we have all of our streaming services set to medium quality or lower, there is no indication as to why it jumps as soon as the introductory period is over yet it does. Once you do that 3 times a year they force you to the next highest data plan, and it isn't 3 times since the first overage it is 12 months since the last overage, so on the second overage if you are good for 11 months and don't jump the cap, and you go over in the 12th month they still force you to relocate to the next highest data plan.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

The charges (105 dollars a month for internet alone capping data) are astronomical, and they automatically upgrade customers who use more data. They should be thankful customers use and have a good time with their internet access instead of locking them in the "bad room" for going a few YouTube videos over the "DATA" limit. WTF is this 1990s cellphone carriers? We need more internet service providers with better pricing, this is ridiculous!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Overcharge for everything, internet speed is good for download bad for upload. 150 down and 3 up, I had Midco in Sioux Falls and it was no cap 125 down 12 up less than 1/3 the price and best service ever. Cable ONE cuts out more than my DSL connection (dslonly down 1 time in 1 year). Cable One is down 1-2 per week. Do not get Cable One for anything. Go Dish for TV and anywhere else for internet. You might not get fast internet but it's more reliable and no data "plan" b.s.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The local office in my small town is great. The office staff (Debbie) is friendly, well-informed, and explains things thoroughly. The only discomfort from this company comes from their Phoenix head office. They don't know what the local office can do. One of the customer service reps insisted I could not Hold my account for my summer vacation and it was such a hassle to have to turn my unit, get a refund, then sign back up again. Oh well. It's all fine now.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Besides my email and account access issues I've issues with Cable ONE Data Cap for their high speed internet service. If you go over the cap they force you to upgrade to a much more expensive plan. 300gb/month for their 100mb/s service. Now paying for the next higher service, which does nothing for download speed. My email has been suspended for spam, and I can't access any part of my account. I've talked to several techs, I've done what they advised: Changing password for email, the account, my wireless etc. I also paid for Virus + Spyware Removal from Total Tech a company Cable One suggested.

After being a customer since the 1980's, I'm very dissatisfied with their services over the last few years, along with the cost has become very high. At this point we really need reliable email service since we're in the process of buying a new house, all signing is done via internet email. Once we're in the new house I will be checking my options, which are somewhat limited in Idaho.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

They are the only choice for cable bundling/internet in my town. The internet is interrupted 5-6 times per day. Cannot live stream on television or use Netflix or similar service, but can do it on my Verizon and AT&T phone and iPad.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Almost, every month, the same thing I either, can't get into my mail, or check my bandwidth. Either, my password, doesn't work for a while, or the calculation is not updated. And, here, I went and increased the amount of internet, this month. I guess, I really do need a new internet company. I sure hate that too, as I really enjoy the service, when I can use it. Just, too good to be true, I guess. Disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I've been a Cable One customer for over two years, and I receive my internet through their company. I pay $105 every month for internet, and I am dissatisfied with this company for several reasons. I am supposed to be getting speeds up to 200 mbps per second, but when I am streaming a show on television I often end up waiting because it keeps buffing. This should not be possible with internet that is supposed to be this fast.

Also, they have a stingy data plan for this day of age where the internet is an integral part of our everyday life. I was forced to go to a data plan that will cost me $130 every month, even though they just recently changed the current plan that I'm on to have enough data that I would no longer be going into overages, but the customer service representative wouldn't let me keep my current plan. I am going to cancel my service and go with a local service provider. I do not recommend anyone get Cable One for internet, because they are way overpriced, and they have horrible customer service. I will continue to let everyone I know to stay away from Cable One.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Unfortunately this company has the fastest internet service and also offers a landline. Phone service with any mobile service results in "service holes" so landline is needed. We are stuck with this cable service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The Cable ONE internet for my location is down more than it is up. The cost I pay already sucks to begin with. Their only excuses are it's because of microwaves, fluorescent lights, and many others! Don't recommend anyone getting this internet!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Depending on where you live, they have the monopoly on high speed internet. I am unfortunate enough to be in one of those areas. When I first called for them to come and connect my elite bundle, they came 3 weeks into the billing cycle, but charged for the entire month. While we're on the subject of the phone/cable/internet bundle. I only got the first 3 months at introductory price, instead of the 6 advertised. Then came the data cap nightmares. They only have 300 cap, and there were no data caps in my contract. I have a big family, so naturally that 300 went fast.

Without any warning, after two months, they bump it up to 500, then 700, and right now, I'm at 1100. I started out with a $180 bill, and this month's is $435. Bear in mind, that our internet habits haven't changed enough to warrant such an exorbitant price. Crappy service. Crappy equipment. Crappy data caps. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Also, I know that data caps are a thing of the past, and that having them in this day and age is utterly ridiculous???

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have internet only with Cable One (no tv service). I am paying for 100 Mbps. I test the download speed fairly often and always receive over Mbps... sometimes as high as 120. This is very fast, reliable service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've been told by Cable ONE that I've gone over my data speed for 2 months in a row. That's not possible. Nothing is changed in my home. I feel they're targeting me unfairly because he had to credit me a half a month service due to the fact that their technicians had to come to my house three times before they decided to switch out my faulty modem. When I spoke with someone today at tech support they couldn't answer my question as to why they just kept claiming that I went over my data again. I also haven't heard back from anyone in regards to the fact that a few months ago I spoke with technical support and one of their technical support folks told me to shut up and called me a **. I've had nothing but problems with this company. I've read the reviews. They have a terrible review with ConsumerAffairs. They claim they don't. They have an excellent rating which is a lie so obviously they lie about everything else in my opinion.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We decided to give up our cable and just keep our internet. We turned in our box, paid that months bill and we were told they would pro rate the bill. The next month I received a bill for 230.00 2 1/2 months worth. Called them. We were told we were current. Then out of the blue our internet was shut down. Now they are telling us we were delinquent 150.0. When I called they could not provide me with an itemized current bill. We were told they did not have the ability to do this. Bottom line they are crooks!!! Horrible service and very hard to do business with. Will not be doing business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I have had Cable One's high speed internet service for 4 years. Any technical difficulties were promptly resolved by their friendly customer service. As a high internet usage family their speeds always met our demands. We have multiple computer systems, game consoles, mobile devices and never did we have issues with speed or connectivity. The issue is why in 2017 a residential internet provider would cap bandwidth so low. To provide you with top notch speeds but punish you for using it is ridiculous. If you go over your bandwidth 3 times they force you into the next tier of speed and price. I am moving soon and will be out of Cable One's reach, thank God.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Our office received a new modem to be installed. The letter sounds like it's going to be a simple procedure. Came in to work early to get it done before the staff shows up. Was on hold for over 30 minutes so, needless to say, the staff arrives and is chomping at the bit because they have work to do. Finally got a technician by the name of Lance. He asked if the modem had been plugged in at least 30 minutes. I told him "I had been on hold over 30 minutes so, yes, the modem had been plugged in." He told me I didn't need to be hostile. Because I told him I was on hold over 30 minutes?

I had to run back and forth to another office to get the CMAC number and other information he was requesting. The letter probably should have said to have the CMAC number available. I read another review where a CS tech called a customer "the B word." These techs need to remain professional and not resort to name calling. If they are going to send out new equipment that needs to be activated, they need to add additional staff to handle the increase in calls. To call me a name is unacceptable, unprofessional, and downright rude. He didn't get the modem up and running so I just wasted 90 minutes of my work day to be disrespected and called HOSTILE by a Cable One tech. Perhaps Lance needs to be in a job where he doesn't work with customers.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I went over my data cap without using my internet. Was in Europe for a full 30 days and they said I went over my data cap... It's not possible. No one was there except my mom checking on the cats every few days. Now I got my third strike. This is what they do, they force you to pay more. That is how they get their money, fraud.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Account is for 97-yr old father-in-law's phone & internet bundled. We get the bills but did not receive one for May. Got June notice today's mail - said it was past due but when I called they ALREADY cut off service. I had sent payment from bank billing but no, had to give them another payment through Visa to get service activated. They didn't care that we had NO notice BEFORE they cut off service. They didn't care that a 97-yr old man had NO way to call us if he needed help. And they are the ONLY cable Internet service where he lives. Very poor customer service and the fees are extremely high for what you get. If there was another option we would choose ANY other over Cable One.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Just talked to the Cable ONE customer service and had the BEST customer service from Nicolas or "Nick"! in Joplin MO (The Nick that has been there the longest). I called on behalf of my parents' internet and phone not working. I was on the phone while he was guiding her on what to do to try to restore service. He was very helpful and worked with my mom patiently. I have never experienced such AWESOME service from any company! He provides 5 star service and he made a stressful situation much easier to handle. Thanks Nick!!!

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have been a loyal customer to Cable One for several years. They are quite literally the only ISP in my area I am willing to do business with (see my review of AT&T... LYING CHEATING CROOKS RIGHT THERE!). The speeds and service is great 75% of the time, but when it isn't... Don't call and complain to them about it. I was laughed at by technical support (I am a 26 year old with a Masters in Management who didn't know what a coaxial cable was... big whoop... that's what they are there for?). Anyhow, that is the best thing that happened on the call. The tech eventually explained to me how it was that I could get my speeds where they needed to be, but after another hour of testing, he just gave me "admin" site and had me change things around myself.

Suddenly, as I was following his directions and changing things, I began to receive emails about plan changes, overages and extra fees. I racked up 181 dollars in overages for inadvertently switching to an old plan, and raised my rate by 40 dollars that month. A supervisor in technical support yelled back at me, telling me that I was entitled. The billing supervisor hung up on me, and when I called them back, they told me they had no supervisors available and would have to get a call back for me. All in all, very sloppy and subpar. I will keep them until someone else can compete with EVIL AT&T and maybe put them both out of business.

Original review: April 18, 2017

We moved from Alabama where we had Charter. Had no limit on data and loved them. They were awesome. Now we live in Mississippi, was forced to go with Cable ONE where we have limited data and the internet is slow and keeps disconnecting. If Charter ever came here we would be switching.

Original review: April 15, 2017

First off I still had CenturyLink when Cable One came and hooked up our cable connection and so help me God the man shorted out the the test connection of the dsl knocking out our internet with CenturyLink. I was online when it went out. I go outside to see what the noise was on outside of my wall and it's Cable One. Took me 3 hours to figure out what happened. When I got off the phone with CenturyLink they told me to check that they were aware of Cable One sabotaging their lines and sure as heck they did. Now that's on my kids' lives I can tell you for a fact... and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

The company is shady as all get out when I'm on the line and the tech tells me, "No don't close Google Chrome. Open that back up!" Now I didn't tell him what I was doing. Clearly they had remote connection to my PC... Now when you buy your own modem and tell them not to update the firmware of your modem, that it does not belong to them and they do it anyway, that unlawful firmware can't be downgraded. I have been recording videos of them doing it to over 10 modems and will file my lawsuit soon!

Cable ONE expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Serving 730,000 customers in 19 states, Cable ONE has grown to be the 10th largest cable television provider in the United States. The company was founded in 1986.

• Local office locations: Cable ONE has offices in each area it serves, allowing customers to troubleshoot equipment and replace broken machines in person.

• Reliable digital cable: The company offers high speed and reliable Internet services.

• Custom business solutions: Business customers can rely on Cable ONE for a comprehensive range of communications services.

• Lifetime price lock: Cable ONE offers the option to lock in the cost of home telephone service for life, which prevents unexpected price hikes.

• Budget cable options: The company is known for being an affordable option that allows customers access to the most popular channels at a low price.

• Best for: Households on a budget and businesses who provide entertainment to customers or staff members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs