Volvo

Volvo

3.6/5 (1476 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Volvo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Our Volvo XC90 catch fire while driving on the highway in South India. No reason reported by the Volvo service provider who maintained the car so far. A narrow escape for my family. More details on request.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I purchased my top of the line Volvo XC 90 and have not nothing but problems. The auto hold, brake keeps malfunctioning. I took it in two times in 6 months and they kept saying it’s a “software update” then the third time it did it. I said DO NOT just say it’s a software update and send me on my way. So they said it was the modular that is directly under the cup holder and that something must have spilled in the cup holder so it’s not covered under warranty so I had to pay out of pocket to fix it. Then one week later the auto hold/brake malfunctions again.

This time they say it’s a second modular that also has sticky stuff so it’s also not covered so I pay out of pocket AGAIN to fix it ($7,000 total) then 2 months later the auto hold/brake malfunctions again. This time I have not allowed any drinks in my car because it cost me so much before. What does Volvo say? Sure enough it’s the modular and that there is sticky residue so they are not going to cover it with the warranty.

So either they lie to get out of covering things via warranty. Or the design is so flawed that anything that goes in the CUP HOLDER creates a modular malfunction, either way. Also, every part and fix take 2-3 weeks to figure out. The last time it took over 2 months for me to get my car back, because Volvo has to approve every thing that done and tell the service department what steps to do throughout the whole process. I would NEVER EVER own another Volvo, and I would strongly recommend everyone to think twice and read reviews before making a Volvo purchase. For a “luxury” car, it brings nothing but a headache.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I had side runner panels installed on my Volvo XC90 by the dealership “Uptown Volvo West Island”. Immediately within the first 3 months they were covered in rust. I returned to the dealer and they said that they would buff it out and that would resolve the issue. Unfortunately just a couple of months after that, they rusted again. The dealer opted to try and buff it again rather than replace them and again a couple of months later they rusted. Now they are saying that they are not under warranty when in fact they should have replaced them immediately when we first complained. These were not cheap at $2000 and should not have rusted after just a couple of months. We are very disappointed in both the dealership and in Volvo Canada for providing a substandard product and not standing behind what they sell.

Original review: July 8, 2022

When the "reduced engine performance" problem first arose on my new 2000KM XC40, I ​​called the Volvo dealer and explained it. I was told that if the problem occurred only once, they wouldn’t look at it. After about a month, when we were away from home on vacation, the error happened again, but this time I couldn't drive it anymore, as it had no engine performance at all. That was the beginning of a nightmare: I had to deal with customer service for a whole day (vacation day) to report the case and get a rental car, which was far away from my XC40 category.

After a few days, the workshop called me and said the car was repaired. The cause “was” a defective spark plug. The Volvo Assistance then organized the transport of my to my home, which took a long time (about 10 days). Surprisingly (or not) the problem happened again on the way to city and the driver had to take the vehicle to another workshop... After about 3 weeks, the workshop was able to find the real cause: the fuel pump had no sealing rings (assembly error). The workshop manager told me that he didn't know how I managed to drive so much with the vehicle without an accident. So I’m lucky enough to be writing this text here.

In total Volvo took about 1.5 months (!) to repair my car and to organize the transport back to my city. I have been told that this will be done at no cost. When the driver arrived, he wanted 90 euros for gas, otherwise he would take the vehicle to the workshop again. The bad thing is that my vehicle had a full tank when the problem occurred and now I have it again with an empty tank and still had to pay 90€ for fuel even though I didn't drive it. I don't want to write here all the horrible stories with customer service that have happened over the past 1.5 months but be warned that if you need it it will take MANY hours to get information from them. I would never buy a car from Volvo again for these reasons.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Got 2019 lease from Volvo Manhattan. The lease is coming to end and they refused to have the car back. I called several other agencies and everyone said, "You didn't get the car from me." When I get the car from them, they promised end of the lease will be fun. Since I got a lot of insurance, etc. Anyone has an advice how can I return the end lease Volvo?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Volvo financing refused to correct a charge off that was not paid on an earlier Volvo lease even though we demonstrated that they contacted me at the wrong telephone number about the debt. Volvo tanked my credit score and refuses to make it right. Needless to say I will never purchase/lease a Volvo ever again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This review is describing the experience with 2021 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Inscription, having last for VIN digits **. The car was ordered in June of 2020 and delivered to the dealer from factory on 10/23/2020. It was equipped with all available options, including Polestar software, with out-of-door price of $57,450. The car was received from the dealer (Volvo Cars Mission Viejo) on 10/29/20, approximately 90 miles away from my residence – no San Diego dealer was actually willing to order the car using preconfigured specifications from Volvo website.

The car failed at mile 28 away from the dealership – the odometer was at 34 miles. The first indication was that “signals are at fault”, immobilizing the left turn signaling. When the dealer was contacted the same afternoon, we were told that the car needs to be towed in (from 90 miles away), since one should not drive without operational signals. We never heard from them again. That was just the beginning of the S60 experience.

During the next few days, we tried to contact Volvo directly, who advised us “that it is now dealership problem”. Not receiving any response from Volvo Cars Mission Viejo, we tried to schedule local (San Diego) service. We were put thru gauntlet, being berated by “why did you not buy the car from us” and “it serves you well since you did not buy the car here”.

Finally, the car was taken to San Diego Volvo, by scheduling the appointment and the car loaner. The “customer adviser” did not show up at scheduled time; we were told to “wait until someone shows up”, since “he owns the appointment”. Hours later, he did show up and informed us that there is “no car loaner” – in spite of guarantee that one would wait for us. Having no choice, we left the car with the dealership overnight.

The next morning, I was informed that the car is “repaired” – the claim was that the entire left-side electronic module (responsible for 360 camera and signaling) was faulty and was replaced. Attempting to collect the car the next day, we were presented with the same fault (no signal, no 360 degree camera) and were sent back on our way (sans car), forced to leave the car over the weekend. The next week, we were summoned again to collect the car. This time around, the car functioned for 3 (three) full days, resuming the same fault. It then escalated: it refused to start, at random intervals.

We are now stuck with a brand-new vehicle (less than 500 miles on the odometer) and no recourse other than to hire an attorney. As far as buying this car – please pass. While it looks good on paper (which is why we bought it), it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had – including the garage queen Audi Q5. When it does drive, it is inferior to A4 and much, much worse than any Lexus sedan we owned (LS and GS). Any comparison with BMW 3 series (presumed competition) is just laughable – its handling is boat-like for anyone accustomed to BMW precision and stiff chassis. However, much, much worse than the vehicle is actual Volvo customer “support” – it turns out that there is no such thing in existence.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Beware, I leased a Volvo XC90 Inscription, on February 2020, at the first week wheel start shaking while braking. This week again took it to service as warning for ABS, hand brake and transmission went on. Two days later I was told that one part is back ordered for at least two weeks, call customer care and was told that they will record the issue, in the meantime I am driving an old Nissan that was given as a “loaner”. I guess I have to get use to this old Nissan and pay for top of the line Volvo!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

We decided to give Volvo a shot in addition to the Porsche and Mercedes SUVs we were considering. The sales team was so horrible and disorganized that we're not even considering Volvo at all anymore. Typical used car lot type of dealership; if you're looking for a luxury experience, stick to the other brands.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I recently drove a Volvo V90; it is quiet, easy to manage on a road or highway; enjoyable to drive. My only concern is that, since Volvo is now Chinese owned (again, Chinese owned), I am not certain they can be trusted to honor warranty issues. I brought this up with the manager and he laughed and said 'If you're talking about Covid-19 and its relationship to the quality of this car and whether a warranty on it will be honored, it is a moot issue.' I am not convinced and really didn't even have the question addressed. As a result, I moved on and bought a good Japanese Acura RDX. It is an excellent, upscale, mid-sized SUV.

Volvo Company Information