2. Automotive

Volvo

Volvo
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Volvo Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Best customer service and best safety record. NIELLO Volvo is the best dealer in the area. They have quality cars-new and used-and take excellent care of their customers. I have been a Volvo owner for 14 years and am on my 4th car. I LOVE Volvo!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I bought this car used, one owner. 2013. Excellent car due to all wheel drive and the power of the turbo engine. It is a very responsive car. It is sporty and fun, yet a nice family sedan when needed. I drive my grandchildren who sit in the back seat and I feel they are very protected. The body style for this year is beautiful and I have received many many compliments on it. My neighbor even bought one for these reasons. I hear that the company has been bought by China. The body style has changed drastically this year and is not near as attractive. I don't think I will buy another one for this reason. They ruined the look.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The 1918 Volvo XC90 is the finest automobile I have ever owned. Besides the world class safety features and vehicle safety, this car has the most adaptive, user friendly functions and options I have ever experienced. It has selective ride control as well. Overall this car is awesome and great in bumper to bumper traffic to highway, short and especially long distance trips!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

The car was ahead of its time. It is so fun to drive and gets so much attention because of the styling. The 5 cylinder turbo gets ok gas mileage and uses regular or premium. Great interior room, fun handling, really scoots. I'm sorry they stopped production in 2013.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought my first Volvo in 1973 and drove it 180,000 miles. In 1985 when we bought a 240DL and drove it 225,000 miles. In 2005 when we bought the S80. Today after 14 years and 250,000 miles BETELEW the 3rd is done. An internal engine problem and no compression in #1 cylinder. Thinking back about my Volvo’s and reading the posts here I want to share my Volvo experience with you. First of all I would not recommend buying a used Volvo unless there is documentation that scheduled maintenance was done. Volvo’s can be a bit pricey to maintain and many people just don’t take care of them. I bought all of my Volvo’s brand new, maintained them as outlined in the manual, and all work was done by the dealership or an independent shop that specialized only in Volvo’s.

Driving a Volvo for 45 years has taught me a lot. The most important is that there is a big difference between a 15 minute oil change and a dealership scheduled service. There is a long list of items to be checked, lubricated, tightened, or adjusted that only a dealership will perform. 15 minutes oil change is not a maintenance service, and you certainly get what you pay for. I read these posts and so many contain “bought a used Volvo” “poor quality” “factory defect” and how horrible Volvo customer service is and I laugh. I’ve had things happen to my Volvo’s over the years too. The difference is that when you are a regular customer at a dealership as I have been, you will receive excellent customer service. Loyalty is rewarded.

I would be embarrassed if I drove Into a dealership for the first time with nothing but 30 minute oil changes and demand good customer service. If you think I’m exaggerating I’m not. In 45 years and 3 Volvo’s I have only been towed 4 times and 3 of those were from my driveway. I was never left stranded or put in a dangerous situation. I bought each of my Volvo’s for safety which I consider to be an investment. I took care of my investments and they took care of me, faithfully, safely, comfortably, and tonight we will return to Volvo to buy BETELEW #4.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The 2020 XC60 & XC90 models have a design change which removed the door runner at the bottom. Bad design, as this is where most the road debris, mud and water enter. It doesn’t enter the inside of the car but it's a mess after a heavy rain or car wash and I'm left to clean and dry all the seal creases and door jams to prevent mold or rust. Would have reconsidered this car if I had known. Love everything else about the XC60 so hoping Volvo steps up and makes a rubber runner to replace the cheap seals.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

This auto is the safest and best performing vehicle for its price. The car delivers is riding comfort, cost to operate, and safety. It has a good level of performance and provides a useful information and display system.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Well, the car IS denim blue. That's a little joke. Bought this car via overseas delivery program. That went as well as it could I suppose. The OSD US headquarters in New Jersey has ONE staff person in a call center and she is over worked. Took days for her to respond to our calls and overall we grade her a D to C. The wait to finally receive the car was long, 9 months for us. Our choice not Volvo's problem. We kept telling ourselves "We're saving so much money." We are solid middle class and but for me giving in to my wife and us having on investment pool available for her to spend, we wouldn't have the car. The latter is my preference.

The two star rating doesn't just reflect on car but the unnecessary dealer delays all along the way to present and continuing. My 2014 Honda CRV is superior in many ways to "big blue." Better paint job, straight forward and easy access to mechanicals of the engine and engine bay components, simple well designed cabin controls, lack of complicated car computer system. It is "plug and play" so to speak unlike the Volvo where we really should take a class on how to operate the center display with it's myriad functions.

Right away soon after delivery and receipt of the car I noticed a failed seal on a passenger side read tail light, the small one mounted on the trunk lid. Moisture is clearly present all along the light lense. Ok....small thing but a first in life for me and I am age 69. Second, the wheel lug nut cover removal tool was not put in the car at the factory. I think the interior cabin key has yet to be found. The hood latch on the driver's side began sticking. The hood can be opened but a second pull on the front hood release is needed.

The steering feel of the car is artificial and does not inspire confidence about absolute control. Now I am left unsure about what other little gremlins will surface. We bought a car before that turned out to be a lemon, our first luxury car. The V is the second. Will it turn yellow? The suspense is very bothersome. I have a lot of automotive repair and maintenance experience since age 16 including engine re-building. There is almost nothing on this car I can maintain myself so here come the bills!

Volvo makes very odd and impractical decisions about placement/access to functions in the engine bay. Coolant reservoir is very difficult to read level as the tank is buried in a chamber! Similarly the brake fluid reservoir top is even buried more in a chamber. I like the car's exterior design, the seats, the interior, the transmission (so far), the "peppy" engine (although the long term effects of direct injection worry me) and on balance natural aspiration is superior, at least for me.

All in all I would not recommend Volvo cars. I recommend something when it is perfect. This car is far from it and that is worrisome for what we will spend on its "care and feeding." Volvo cars are a dealers dream. It reminds me more of the very average to below average American made junk. Yeah they may look nice but.... watch out here come repair bills! Don't buy one!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

There are a lot of good safety features, however, there are also other cars that have similar ones that are cheaper in price. Also, if you have a problem Volvo Corporation is terrible to deal with. They have no compassion and read from a script.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

We are completely disgusted with Volvo corp and local Ft Myers Volvo for taking our situation like a joke. We were treated terribly at the dealership this last time after a 4 year long battle with our XC90 lemon, that wasn’t recognized by you guys as a lemon. This last time your dealership said we needed a $13,000 engine due to inside damage, which was NOT the case at all. It just needed 1 $80 cylinder change. And then they had the audacity to offer a trade-in value for our car at the ridiculous low price of $9,000. HA what a joke you guys are. I'm sooo glad I'm not an idiot, as I got WAY more than that somewhere else and didn’t have to fork over $13,000 on a complete LIE. This dealership lies, service sucks and has been reported. I will never drive another Volvo or ever recommend one.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Volvo Company Information