Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have a 2012 Volvo S60. During the warranty period, the piston rings needed replaced. At 91000 miles, the car began to shake violently. I took it to the nearest Volvo dealer. They told me I needed a new engine because 3 spark plugs had their electrode tips fall out and score the cylinders. I took the complaint to corporate Volvo, and they told me that 'they were sorry for the inconvenience' but offered nothing in terms of financial assistance. I took the complaint up through 2 levels of management, and still received no assistance. Also of note, the car previously had the piston rings replaced, and strut plates replaced. I’ve owned 5 other cars (Honda and Acuras) and ran them all past 100k, and never had to replace an engine. I’m now out 5 grand, and will remember this experience for the rest of my car buying years. I suggest you reflect on this story as well before your next car purchase.

Bought this car as a certified used car when it was 3 years old, in addition bought extended warranty for additional 5 years or 75,000 miles whichever comes first. It just turned 5 this month. Only 2 years into extended warranty, have another 25,000 miles or so left too. Warranty work since purchase included tire air pressure sensors, few minor things. Had been very happy until last week. Took in for regular maintenance to Weaver Volvo in Raleigh, NC, mentioned I'd been smelling a musty/moldy smell when I turn on my a/c after not driving for few days, I suggested maybe the cabin filter needed changing. The service rep found the cabin filter should have been changed as part of my last service there, but was not done.

In addition, they found that my windshield was leaking above the driver's side, and could actually be lifted up from the Inside! Both extended warranty and Volvo refused to fix it, giving me the name of recommended auto glass place, stating it was a "wear" issue. I stated it was not a wear issue, but a manufacturing and or Install issue. Doing my research, I've found lots of Volvo owners complaining about the very same thing! Volvo knows there is a problem, but does nothing about it. When I contacted the auto glass dealer, I was told they will not even attempt just a reseal, because it fails, because the priming on the oem windshield is defective. They receive calls from many Volvo customers with same problem every week. They will only install a new windshield, brand new install due to their experience with Volvo windshields, breaking, and reseal failures. I decided to not deal with another OEM windshield, as the primer issue appears to be ongoing.

I'm very likely to have the same problem... seen other posts where customers have this same issue 2 or 3 times in a row when replacing a Volvo windshield with another Volvo windshield. I'm going with Pilkington, made in the USA, and has not had these problems leaking. It is going to cost me over $500 for a new windshield installation. I'm contacting Regional Service Manager about my discontent. I bought this Volvo because of its reputation for reliability, but I guess those days are over. I owned a Jeep for 22 years before I had to address a windshield leak. Your windshield should not leak at 5 years old. Some people are seeing leaks much earlier too! It's either the primer alone and/or the glue product. I'd been looking to upgrade my Volvo model... don't think I'll do that now. Weaver Volvo and Volvo... so disappointed in you.

This is my fourth, and last Volvo XC70, because it's discontinued. I have a 2015.5 T6, fully loaded and costing $50K. Today I took the car in for a 30K service. They told me that the rear brake pads were worn and the rotors were groves, - $600 fix. Really, this is unacceptable at 30K miles! Get a grip Volvo, you won't keep customers with this shabby warranty.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We have a Volvo XC60. It's not even paid off yet, but we now have at $6500 repair that I'm told is very uncommon for even cars that have 200,000 miles on them let alone 57,000. The dealership claims it's due to "bad gas." We have never ever used anything but premium gasoline. As soon as this is resolved, I'm turning this piece of crap in and leasing a new vehicle. What's the point of owning if you have a $6500 repair before it's even paid off?

We recently ordered a new Volvo V90CC and when it arrived it did not have the option package that we ordered but did have an another, different option package that we did not order or want. Volvo Laval admitted their mistake but could only offer a replacement for delivery in five months. This timing was unworkable for us and, in return for a small discount, we were forced to take the vehicle and pay for the unwanted option package. Volvo Laval's position was "we have to make money on every sale". We appealed to Volvo Canada and their response was "too bad because you accepted the car". Over the years we have purchased a lot of vehicles, some better than others, but this experience of being forced to pay for options that were the result of the Dealer's error is the worst. A very good reason to not deal with Volvo, ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

My 2007 Volvo S40 alternator caught on fire and the Volvo dealership said there are no recall for Volvo alternators. Can somebody please let me know the truth. I purchase a new alternator from AutoZone made for a Volvo s40 and it did not work. In addition, the Volvo service department in Greensboro, NC said there was nothing wrong the alternator; however, I need to purchase a Volvo alternator from a dealer. So why does other parts departments use the Volvo name such as AutoZone, Advance Auto when selling Volvo parts? If you have a Volvo 2007 S40, try starting the engine twice and notice your alternator will catch on FIRE.

I found the perfect car online at $31,000.00 with low miles. I went to O'Steen Volvo in Jacksonville FL and drove the car and knew this was my car. I brought my 2007 Convertible Solara (excellent condition) for trade. I came back to dealership, check in hand and found out another $3000 had been added to the bottom line and only $4000 for my trade in. When I said "no something isn't right", I was told, "sorry, nothing we can do," and we left. The next day I called the manager Rex ** and wanted to ask questions about the $3000 and he told me, "it is what it is" and hung up on me. WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT? Just because you can't answer the customer's question, please leave the juvenile attitude at home and put your big boy pants on and act like a man. I have since bought a Mercedes and I am very satisfied but I think people need to know what kind of service to expect at O'Steen Volvo.

I have religiously kept maintenance up to date on this 2012 Volvo XC60. Very happy to have paid it off three weeks ago, and this week diagnosed with the need for a complete value replacement. Although they haven't opened it up yet, where it may need more. Clearly this is an issue with Volvo machinery... At 80k miles who ever needs a 5,000 valve repair? Will fix it, sell it, and lease something else... but have been devastated by the cost. Wondering if Volvo ever "does the right thing" in these circumstances and helps cover... Service Department says, "Service Manager will serve as a liaison with Volvo". Quite vague and unpromising.

We got the 2016 xc90 last September, got issues with the auto brake and sensors. But the biggest one happened last month that the car locked itself with all my belongings inside, phone, car key, money except my toddler!!! We parked outside for over an hour, turned the engine on, closed the door and walked toward the other side of the door to put my toddler in his car seat then found all door locked!! We were lucky that we found a phone to call my husband to bring his spare key to us and his key didn't work at the beginning either. While we trying to figure out how to open the door manually, it magically unlock itself.

Volvo did a software upgrade and said it will never happen again!! As to our surprise, it did again!! Less than two weeks we got the car back!! Very lucky again that my toddler was with me!! Totally lost our faith to this car!! We bought it coz of their safety and reliability but this car just a total disappointment. After reading all the reviews here, how could Volvo ignore all these issues and still have this car on the market???

I just have to write something about the Volvo brand and specifically the XC90. Being sold as a luxury SUV but with very thin cheap leather interiors. In addition thin plastic by the side of seats that is prone to splitting. Volvo really should do something about this if they intend to charge what they do for these high end vehicles.

I bought a V70XC Beautiful car/showroom condition. That was it. It has been nothing short of a money pit, a nightmare I wake up to everyday and a constant enemy. I have replaced the transmission 2 times and 1 engine in less than 40K miles. A myriad of sensors failed that NO ONE can diagnose. The dealership is 70 miles away and NO ONE will work on them. ALL mechanics run when I pull up. Immediately telling me they don't work on them. It has literally spent more time on the back of a tow truck than on the road. If I didn't have my ANGELS I know this car would have already killed me. It has failed to accelerate in the WORST possible times, intersections, pulling into traffic etc.

There's just no words to express my anger toward VOLVO and SWEDEN without corrupting my soul. I once owned the YUGO in the 1980's and I have often wished I had it back compared to this total Mechanical and Engineering Mistake of the Century. My problems are typical I discovered. I didn't get just a lemon, apparently that is all they made. If you buy one after reading these reviews then you deserve it. I bought another car yesterday and it's NOT a Volvo and I will never look at them the same. I pity anyone I see in one. But that's not often. I don't see them on the road often.

Thank God I am free of that BEAST of burden. Now I actually look forward to driving since I got another car. I dreaded even having to drive it to the store. Owning it probably took 10 years off my life too. Good Riddance Volvo. I hope you bankrupt. Shame on the Swedens for making such a horrible, horrible piece of junk. OH, did I mention the fact I only put 50,000 miles on it? AND about 50,000 dollars in it.

I bought my son a used Volvo less than a year ago. It's been in the shop nearly every single month. After driving it only 4,000 miles it needed a new engine, new front bearings, new oil trap and on and on. I'm at $5,000 in repairs and all they say is "gee that's not normal for Volvo." I complained about the car to the sales person months ago with no response. I posted a complaint and the service manager called to offer $500 towards repairs but that doesn't explain how this many serious things can be wrong with a car driven such few miles. It was sold heavily on the fact that Orloff exclusively serviced the car and it was in top shape. Every month to service and every month a new serious problem. I'm stuck with a junker and out $16k. Fraudulent sales practice.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I got a new XC90 after four months' waiting of the order in Feb. 2016. With 2000 miles on the car, on Aug 1st, the power steering completely failed while I was driving off the highway, onto the bridge, trying to make a left turn. Luckily, I managed to stay on the bridge with the cost of 3 ruined wheels--that is how I escaped death!!! I took picture of the power steering failure signal and everything else as evidence. Then, after two-month stressful communication, Volvo told me that they did not detect the reason that caused the car to lose control. Serious? Cannot even find the problem while the steering wheel already failed to work and the failure signal was on the dashboard? So they refuse to take any responsibility.

Due to my huge mental distress after the accident, I requested a replacement of the accident car. Then, the agent named Joseph told me that Volvo was willing to find a replacement car for me instead. However, this was where their trick started to play out. Volvo refused to refund the price difference when they finally gave me a much cheaper ($5000 cheaper on sticker) replacement car.

With over $5000 price difference, I basically purchased another car from Volvo and paid the trade-off cost myself. As a valued customer, I did not ask for anything more than a replacement car. I trusted Volvo even after the horrible accident that almost killed me. They made the whole process looked like that they were doing a huge favor for me, while in fact, I should have filed a complaint against this car company in the first place. At the end of day, I would never buy a Volvo car anymore and would never trust this company again!

Be aware, customers, Volvo may try to come back to luxury suv market with the xc90, but the quality of both the car and the company's service were certainly not comparable to other luxury brands. Especially when a horrible accident happens, all this company did was to trick the customer in order to save any possible penny. They don't even care about reputation! In this case, customers should know what this company is really about and be cautious with our purchase from this company. I asked Volvo if the price difference was huge, like over $20000, would they still get me a replacement with no refund? The agent said yes, that was what they would do!

Up to this point, Volvo had refused to do anything further to compensate my cost. $5000 is not that much money, but what Volvo sacrificed for this money was their valuable reputation-- or maybe, they really don't care about the happening of some terrible defects-related car accident. To be honest, the agent from Volvo was being nice until the last minute, when he could reveal the cold hard fact that they did not care a damn about customer satisfaction as long as they could save cost and make profit.

I bout a new Volvo XC60 in 2013 so far I have that many problems really. Today I was looking under my SUV and I noticed that the muffler bracket is so rusted that I can't believe it hasn't fall apart. After 3 years seeing all that damage it bothers me because if I'm buying a $40,000 SUV I expect much better quality. Have anybody had similar problems?

The problems with this car are too many to list. Very disappointed with my purchase of the 2016 XC90. It has been in for service at least 8 times since January this year. I will not even drive it on long trips due to the lack of trust with this vehicle.

Searched and waited for the color combo and features on this car. While waiting I should have done some homework!! I take my car to the Mission Viejo Volvo for service, when purchased a seam of the leather was coming out, had to take it in three times to get if fixed and made sure they didn't just shove it up with a screw driver like the first two visits. THE CAR RUNS OUT OF GAS!!! Your control can say "you have 30 miles or 50 miles... you will still run out." We don't let it go below 100 miles, the GM at Viejo after bringing me in his office and closing door said there is just no fix for it.

The parking brake goes on while you are driving or stopped in traffic or at home and can't get it out of park... Very nice with the other patient drivers honking!!! This is my second time back in 6 weeks for brakes. First week in July they said they replaced brakes, pads and rotors! However I keep ending up in the middle of the intersection, well you guessed it less than two months later same problem. Manny says I have a lot of miles on the car so makes sense, never checking the records to see that it was just done. Just told me it was going to cost a lot.

Also brought it in because the car sounds like a muscle car, the service guy asked me if I made it sound that way... Oh yea, sure. Pretty blonde mom with three kids wants to sound "Gangster." No it's only that the catalytic converter has gone out, they have ordered one. Maybe another week. They have had it this time three weeks. They said they were working on all the other computer problems while they wait, and may have to send a guy to school about how to fix the whole parking brake issue. My reason for buying the car was I have two new drivers in the family. They won't touch this cheered "safety vehicle." It's a nightmare. Since I have had the car 10 months, they have had it 10 of those weeks and counting in the service department. Help, anyone, help me get free of the monster on wheels!!

Car died. Battery was already replaced at just over 50,000 mile. Have 81000+ now. Could not get car to start and then it would not shut down lights on and ac going. Dealership cannot give a date when they can diagnose. No loaner cars avail. All of this technology on cars just presents an opportunity to have errors and problems. No more Volvos.

S40 - So 2 chums and I were out on the town and decided to acquire us a few fine quality bean bag-type chairs. And lo and behold we get our fine seatery out to our automotive transport only to find that we don't have enough room for the newly acquired chairs in the car. Now I know that a sedan isn't the biggest car in the world, but I feel as though we were short changed on adequate bean bag storage.

If you have a Volvo car I hope you do not have to buy Volvo parts for it. I needed the plastic back part of a wing mirror and had to pay 120 for it and had to fit it myself. It is just a rook off for something they paid no more than £5 for.

I love my 2016 XC90 Volvo. We built it and in three months picked it up at the dealership. Maybe I am old school but I just don't understand all the hype on the key Fob. It stinks. Most women like me keep their keys in their purse. I placed my purse on the floor in the back seat of my vehicle and then strapped my two year old in his car seat; like I always do. It has been a routine I followed with all three of my children. After I closed the back door I opened my driver door only to find it locked. I went to the back door and that was locked. It was 90 degrees outside and my car was not shaded. My son was inside baking as I screamed and swore. I called my husband to come and give me his spare key.

To make a long story short, somebody called the police and he was able to unlock my car quickly. My child was fine. There is no warning or sensor in the vehicle that detects the car key inside. I learned the car will ding if you leave your Fob in your coffee cup holder. No place else! If you drop them on the floor, in the back, anywhere you will get no warning. I still do not know how the doors all got locked. Nothing like technology trying to think for you and doing a lousy job. All these safety features end up hurting all of us in the long run. I learned that I had the child lock feature on in the car and that may have been the reason for the car doors locking.

I still don't know and lost confidence in this Fob technology. I am very nervous every time I leave my car and rarely do I have pockets to put the Fob in. I will no longer put the Fob in my purse so I end up carrying it with me trying to unstrap my child from his car seat with one hand while holding this darn Fob in the other. Please Volvo, go back to the key in the ignition. Lighten up with the locking mechanisms making it safer; really. I am a prime example of why cars should not be locking unless you press a key from inside. That is how it use to be. All these sensors for safety nearly hurt my child.

Purchased this car, and while driving on the freeway ran out of gas. Estimated mileage had shown I had 50 miles to go, when I ran out. Since I was on the freeway, I had to quickly pull over and it caused me to hit some home. A bit of damage happened to the front of the car. Sensor cap fell off. Volvo offered to only replace that. Dealership had to replace the fuel gauge, and the gas door (that wouldn't open). A lot of faulty sensors with this car. Rear camera stops working when it gets wet. Air conditioner randomly stops working. Front driver’s side window rolls down slowly. Can keep the air conditioner running when you lock the car from the outside, as it shuts down the engine. Radio always seems to be playing when car is off. The self braking system goes off randomly, almost causing crashes. Bought this car because it’s a Volvo. Suppose to be safe for the little family... It's not.

I am the happy owner of a Volvo V60 T6 2015, my first Volvo, in replacement of a Subaru Forester XT 2014. I just want to say how I'm happy with my car. I know most of people on that website are writing about problem they have and that's ok, but I think it is important to also tell people when you don't have problem. :-)

I have my car for one year now, only 16000 km, not a lot, but enough time to say if you like the car or not. Most of the problem usually appears during the first year.

The engine is great, the old one, the six cylinder with turbo, 300 hp, you really have that power fast on the highway, very secure car, not a sporty car but enough sporty for me. I have some fun with that car, a pleasure to drive on any way, great and wonderful sport seats, great finish and quality inside AND outside. Zero problem! I am Canadian and the awd works perfectly, not as great as the Subaru one, but a very good one! You have plenty of space in the hatch, that's why I love wagon (I'm European :-)).

Also, customer service is perfect at least at the dealer, everything perfect there. Also, price for services is the same as Subaru. If you compare year and kilometers (every 10000km for Subaru!!! Every 160000 km for Volvo) Subaru is so expensive and so bad quality with so many problems... So, go away and take a Volvo, at least a model which is on sale for a while, because for new ones, I suggest to wait for at least two years to avoid any problem on the first production years!

On August 20th, 2016, my wife and child ran out of gas in her brand new 2016 Volvo XC60 which she paid $43,000 for. She purchased the Volvo because of reputation and safety. Volvo uses their "roadside" assistance as a selling tool. My wife and child sat for 2 hours after being told it would be less than one hour. No one followed up with her, gave her any update at all. It was 90 degrees and they were not close enough to walk to any store. A kind gentleman finally stopped, gave them water and snacks and then came back with gas. He did not take a dime. I called Volvo to voice my displeasure and it was then they called my wife. At this point, it was too late. Roadside assistance is good but only if they actually "assist."

2016 XC 90 Fuel Gauge. My family members and I have ran out of gas 3 times and had to call AAA. I have owned Volvos exclusively since 1994. The fuel gauge is RIDICULOUS! It is just a tan line at the bottom of the screen behind the steering wheel that turns muted orange. No sound or voice warning. This car warns me if its thinks I am tired, but doesn't do a damn thing if I am about to run out of gas!

I have a 2005 XC90 2.5 AWD since new. It now has 132000 miles. Best car I've ever owned. I am planning to keep it forever. The car has been super reliable and still looks brand new without having to do much maintenance other than oil changes, brakes, and tires. Fantastic SUV.

March 2016 our Volvo truck was taken due to breakdown. Diagnosis was that the fuel pump needed replacement. It took about 4 weeks at Gateway Trucks & Refrigeration in Collinsville, IL. May 17 truck shows errors. Took it to M&K Trucks in Des Plaines, IL. It turned out it was an engine overhaul. Truck was again down for 4 weeks. A week after we picked up truck we got an error on the screen, and M&K diagnosed to the problem as having metal shavings in the fuel line. They asked for paperwork from Gateway and after a week we got our truck back, and they said that the issue was covered under warranty. July 1st same error returns. Took the truck back to M&K and the same diagnosed metal shavings in the fuel line.

3 days later we are told that Gateway only warranties labor for 90 days, although according to M&K this was a workmanship problem, and Volvo can't cover. It is Gateway's responsibility. M&K has tried to get Gateway to review case showing that the truck has only work a few weeks and that only 20K miles has been run since their repair. I opened a case with Volvo directly, Case #**, and a week later I called to get update, and was told case was closed, and I should deal directly with both Volvo dealers. 7/15 I asked for case to be reopened and escalated. 7/19 Volvo informs me that they have escalated case to a FSM and that is as high as it goes, but this person has not updated the case yet. M&K on the other hand is trying to mediate through a Cummins rep with Gateway.

In the meantime we have not been able to work with our truck for over 2 weeks due to negligent work and lack of work ethic from Volvo-approved dealership which means over $12K in lost revenue. As a word of caution, Volvo informed me that both dealers are independently owned and operated, and that if I ever break down again and want Volvo to be responsible for the work I should call their toll-free number and get an owned Volvo dealer. So disappointed that the end customer gets a runaround. I am sure it is because we are are not a big company so nobody cares about the impact their negligent work has on our lives.

My parents bought the new 2016 XC60 in Dec 2015, arrived Jan 2016 - we have owned XC90 2004 in past with no problems, bought another for the safety and reliability. However the car dealership have been an disappointment. It has an electrical problem somewhere they can't trace. First replaced the amplifier a few months ago but the "random" & "frightening" loud sounds continue. It's unnerving to have the loud electrical sounds occur. It can be when you start in the garage, or just driving down the street - no warning. The Dealership says they've not heard of this problem and are not offering a solution. I think the beautiful new car is a lemon and makes me doubt if I want to keep the Volvo. It's disappointing to see the dealership be dismissive of a senior adult couple who just wanted to buy a new car and are having this experience.

I have a 2015 Platinum XC60 for which I paid a lot extra. It has the leather interior which I thought until just recently was awesome. Has anyone who has a similar car experienced that the leather fabric on the dashboard area below the front window is totally peeling up? I keep my car garaged 99% of the time when it is not being driven and for unknown reasons, the panel below the window is coming apart. The dealer has turned the matter over to Volvo and I am waiting to hear what they will do about it. The dealer said they have never seen this before. The car only has 12,000 miles on it and the upholstery is now shot? I don't get it.

I have owned two Volvo, XC 90 and C70. Both are 2008 models. I have put over 120,000 miles on the 90 without any problems and have over 90,000 on the C70 with no problems. I service them according to the manual and it has been a pleasure to own a Volvo. I have recently purchased a 2016 XC 60 and look forward to driving it for a long time also. I buy Volvo for the safety of the vehicle. I can always replace a car but I cannot replace my family. It might wear tires out sooner than other vehicles and I have to replace the brakes sooner than I do on other vehicles, but that is the price I will pay for safety.

This has been the bane of my existence for numerous months now (5 months to be exact)... My 2007 S40 Volvo with 60K miles will not pass the smog check. I've been back to my smog guy 6 times, had my car towed for too many parking tickets due to no registration. Paid over $1600 in fees, called Volvo numerous times, the Volvo dealership nearest me, my Volvo mechanic... etc. and I've driven over 1200 miles. Apparently because I changed my battery a few weeks before the smog check, I have to just keep 'driving' my car (illegally I might add). Well... I have driven and driven and driven and still not passing. No help from Volvo.

Volvo Company Profile