Volvo

Volvo

3.6/5 (1474 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Volvo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I had side runner panels installed on my Volvo XC90 by the dealership “Uptown Volvo West Island”. Immediately within the first 3 months they were covered in rust. I returned to the dealer and they said that they would buff it out and that would resolve the issue. Unfortunately just a couple of months after that, they rusted again. The dealer opted to try and buff it again rather than replace them and again a couple of months later they rusted. Now they are saying that they are not under warranty when in fact they should have replaced them immediately when we first complained. These were not cheap at $2000 and should not have rusted after just a couple of months. We are very disappointed in both the dealership and in Volvo Canada for providing a substandard product and not standing behind what they sell.

Original review: July 8, 2022

When the "reduced engine performance" problem first arose on my new 2000KM XC40, I ​​called the Volvo dealer and explained it. I was told that if the problem occurred only once, they wouldn’t look at it. After about a month, when we were away from home on vacation, the error happened again, but this time I couldn't drive it anymore, as it had no engine performance at all. That was the beginning of a nightmare: I had to deal with customer service for a whole day (vacation day) to report the case and get a rental car, which was far away from my XC40 category.

After a few days, the workshop called me and said the car was repaired. The cause “was” a defective spark plug. The Volvo Assistance then organized the transport of my to my home, which took a long time (about 10 days). Surprisingly (or not) the problem happened again on the way to city and the driver had to take the vehicle to another workshop... After about 3 weeks, the workshop was able to find the real cause: the fuel pump had no sealing rings (assembly error). The workshop manager told me that he didn't know how I managed to drive so much with the vehicle without an accident. So I’m lucky enough to be writing this text here.

In total Volvo took about 1.5 months (!) to repair my car and to organize the transport back to my city. I have been told that this will be done at no cost. When the driver arrived, he wanted 90 euros for gas, otherwise he would take the vehicle to the workshop again. The bad thing is that my vehicle had a full tank when the problem occurred and now I have it again with an empty tank and still had to pay 90€ for fuel even though I didn't drive it. I don't want to write here all the horrible stories with customer service that have happened over the past 1.5 months but be warned that if you need it it will take MANY hours to get information from them. I would never buy a car from Volvo again for these reasons.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Got 2019 lease from Volvo Manhattan. The lease is coming to end and they refused to have the car back. I called several other agencies and everyone said, "You didn't get the car from me." When I get the car from them, they promised end of the lease will be fun. Since I got a lot of insurance, etc. Anyone has an advice how can I return the end lease Volvo?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Volvo financing refused to correct a charge off that was not paid on an earlier Volvo lease even though we demonstrated that they contacted me at the wrong telephone number about the debt. Volvo tanked my credit score and refuses to make it right. Needless to say I will never purchase/lease a Volvo ever again.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This review is describing the experience with 2021 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Inscription, having last for VIN digits **. The car was ordered in June of 2020 and delivered to the dealer from factory on 10/23/2020. It was equipped with all available options, including Polestar software, with out-of-door price of $57,450. The car was received from the dealer (Volvo Cars Mission Viejo) on 10/29/20, approximately 90 miles away from my residence – no San Diego dealer was actually willing to order the car using preconfigured specifications from Volvo website.

The car failed at mile 28 away from the dealership – the odometer was at 34 miles. The first indication was that “signals are at fault”, immobilizing the left turn signaling. When the dealer was contacted the same afternoon, we were told that the car needs to be towed in (from 90 miles away), since one should not drive without operational signals. We never heard from them again. That was just the beginning of the S60 experience.

During the next few days, we tried to contact Volvo directly, who advised us “that it is now dealership problem”. Not receiving any response from Volvo Cars Mission Viejo, we tried to schedule local (San Diego) service. We were put thru gauntlet, being berated by “why did you not buy the car from us” and “it serves you well since you did not buy the car here”.

Finally, the car was taken to San Diego Volvo, by scheduling the appointment and the car loaner. The “customer adviser” did not show up at scheduled time; we were told to “wait until someone shows up”, since “he owns the appointment”. Hours later, he did show up and informed us that there is “no car loaner” – in spite of guarantee that one would wait for us. Having no choice, we left the car with the dealership overnight.

The next morning, I was informed that the car is “repaired” – the claim was that the entire left-side electronic module (responsible for 360 camera and signaling) was faulty and was replaced. Attempting to collect the car the next day, we were presented with the same fault (no signal, no 360 degree camera) and were sent back on our way (sans car), forced to leave the car over the weekend. The next week, we were summoned again to collect the car. This time around, the car functioned for 3 (three) full days, resuming the same fault. It then escalated: it refused to start, at random intervals.

We are now stuck with a brand-new vehicle (less than 500 miles on the odometer) and no recourse other than to hire an attorney. As far as buying this car – please pass. While it looks good on paper (which is why we bought it), it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had – including the garage queen Audi Q5. When it does drive, it is inferior to A4 and much, much worse than any Lexus sedan we owned (LS and GS). Any comparison with BMW 3 series (presumed competition) is just laughable – its handling is boat-like for anyone accustomed to BMW precision and stiff chassis. However, much, much worse than the vehicle is actual Volvo customer “support” – it turns out that there is no such thing in existence.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Beware, I leased a Volvo XC90 Inscription, on February 2020, at the first week wheel start shaking while braking. This week again took it to service as warning for ABS, hand brake and transmission went on. Two days later I was told that one part is back ordered for at least two weeks, call customer care and was told that they will record the issue, in the meantime I am driving an old Nissan that was given as a “loaner”. I guess I have to get use to this old Nissan and pay for top of the line Volvo!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

We decided to give Volvo a shot in addition to the Porsche and Mercedes SUVs we were considering. The sales team was so horrible and disorganized that we're not even considering Volvo at all anymore. Typical used car lot type of dealership; if you're looking for a luxury experience, stick to the other brands.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I recently drove a Volvo V90; it is quiet, easy to manage on a road or highway; enjoyable to drive. My only concern is that, since Volvo is now Chinese owned (again, Chinese owned), I am not certain they can be trusted to honor warranty issues. I brought this up with the manager and he laughed and said 'If you're talking about Covid-19 and its relationship to the quality of this car and whether a warranty on it will be honored, it is a moot issue.' I am not convinced and really didn't even have the question addressed. As a result, I moved on and bought a good Japanese Acura RDX. It is an excellent, upscale, mid-sized SUV.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I have always loved the Volvo and the ride is beautiful; however I must share this. Yesterday I almost got killed 4 times just trying to figure out how to get back to Sirius radio from another screen, Volvo has always been about safety, but the more complicated they keep making all the accessories and amenities, the more dangerous it has become, trying to figure things out, I almost hit the car in front of me a few times and missed my exit. It is the most frustrating experience. Does Volvo think their cars seem more luxurious by being so complicated? It's ridiculous, make it intuitive so people like me (65 years old) don't go crazy just wanting to get to a radio station, and even once it was figured out by my daughter, it still took about 5 steps to get there, again, danger!!! If texting is considered dangerous, to me this is much worse. For your info, I had a 2 hour car ride just looking at the navigation. No radio. I am so frustrated!!!!

Original review: May 11, 2020

I officially have had it with Volvo USA, Volvo of Oklahoma City!!! I messed up by believing the hype behind Volvo. I messed up for paying for a preowned Volvo just out of warranty. I messed up by trusting Volvo would be a car that would make it past 50,000 or 80,000 or 100,000 miles without multiple expensive major car issues. I should have purchases an insane extended car warranty. Don't be fooled like me.

In April of 2018, I had completed doing my research on the car that I had been wanting to get since the new design of the Volvo XC 90 had dropped. I worked closely with my credit union to secure the financing necessary to go and seal the deal with MY CAR!! I chose a pre-owned 2016 Volvo XC 90 Momentum, that had the upgraded bells & whistles. It was just out of the manufacturers warranty, but it is a Volvo, which were known for going well into the 300,000-mile radius. The cost for this luxury vehicle was a stretch, but I knew, based on the high ratings of the reliability, advanced safety, performance, and the technology that I would be happy for years to come. I kept my vehicle maintained with Volvo’s “Authorized Servicer”; the only within a 150-mile radius.

THE PROBLEMS BEGIN. Just 3 short months after having my beautiful car, I had noticed that my a/c was not cooling, and in Oklahoma… you need that air blowing full blast during our Summers! I took my car to the “Authorized Servicer” that would be VOLVO OF OKLAHOMA CITY. They ran a test to make sure there were no leaks in any hoses, and cycled U/V dye through the system; they stated the reservoir was simply empty, so it was filled.

Three short months later no a/c AGAIN. I take my car for a second opinion at to a well-respected a/c servicer in town. They ran the what appeared to be the same test and inform me that the A/C evaporator (MAJOR REPAIR) needed to be replaced; a $2,700 fix. I was told that this is a highly unusual fix for a 2 year old vehicle. In fact, the tech stated the last time he had a vehicle in to replace this was on a 2002 model. Back to the issue. I panic then contacted Volvo USA, they agree to assist me with 50% of the cost of the part to be replaced, which left a whopping $1800 for me to pay out of pocket, but only to be completed with their “Authorized Servicer”. I had it repaired with Volvo of Oklahoma City.

Next, just a week and ½ after getting my Volvo back, I get MULTIPLE illuminated lights. Get this... the Check Engine Light, SRS Airbag light, and the Auto-Hold light. I did not panic, called the “Authorized Servicer”, and was told to just bring the car in for them to check it out; they figured something maybe just did not get plugged back in. WRONG!! I get a call stating that both the Turbo Gasket AND the O2 Sensor was bad, and would need to be replaced. That was not all... Volvo of OKC stated the Auto-hold button was broken, and this fix was quoted $1650. I took my car to a local Volvo dealer for a second opinion, and determined the lights were all on due to a second battery (auxiliary battery) going out. They replaced it and fixed the Turbo Gasket for $500 less than Volvo of OKC. Thank you Swedish!! I HIGHLY recommend them.

Fast forward to December 23, 2019. My car was serviced at Volvo of Oklahoma City for a routine oil charge which is $179, but it is meant to last up to 10,000 miles or 1 year (whichever comes 1st). I also had my brakes and rotors replaced which cost me $850. They check my car with their routine Multipoint Inspection and only note that my tires should be replaced in the near future. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about a oil leak!!

I get my car back with absolutely no mention about an front crack seal and leak. 3 weeks (of my 1 year) after my $179 oil change (mind you I am supposed to have. MY OIL LIGHT IS ILLUMINATED letting me know that I needed to add oil. I call them and am then told that it appears that my car has an oil leak in the front crack seal, but they didnt think it was serious enough to mention (can I be the judge of that). I ask for a call from the manager and get a ** response of, "Well, it was noted on page 2 of your paperwork". Are you kidding me, do you feel that was not worth mentioning BEFORE my $179 oil change!!! He stated, "Well you would have needed to get the oil changed anyways." I was furious and stated I would not have opted to overlook that type of issue, and would have appreciated the knowledge as I trusted them with informing me of this.

I was quoted $1166 to fix this issue. Volvo USA stated they could not assist me in trading this in toward another vehicle, and they also would not be able to further assist me with my vehicle. Volvo of OKC MANAGER said that he was willing to give me a 10% discount for my inconvenience. I told them I want my $179 back they said only if I get my vehicle fixed there????. I AM BEYOND PISSED! #VolvoCarsUSA #VolvoCarsOfOklahomaCity #VolvoCarsNorthAmerica #LemonOfAVolvo #DisappointedVolvoOwner #HorribleCustomerService #StandBehindYourNameVolvo #Trash

Volvo Company Information