Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Volvo
3.71/5

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

462 Volvo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Has anyone else experienced premature brake wear on their Volvo (we have 2018 XC90). We were advised at 30,000 gentle driven km's that we need new rotors and pads. When we questioned the dealership on this they told us that 'Volvo brakes aren't meant to last like the other manufacturers'. They claim it's for safety reasons, we don't agree, nor do the multiple mechanics (some Volvo mechanics) we have talked to since. Would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this as well as it is a concern.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Hard to believe but it happened twice and at a standstill on our Mclean VA driveway with nobody in the car: At one year interval my wife's beautiful white V90 lowered a window by itself under thunderstorm (lightning and thunder) conditions; the first time a neighbor spotted the opened window before the rain and the window was closed subsequently. The second time, very recently, while we were at home a downpour storm dropped 5 inches of rain in one hour, and the driver's side window was fully down. My wife is like a cat, any air current is a no-no and that driver's side window was lowered only once for a once in a lifetime first interview with a state trooper.

Needless to say, the car floor was full of water and we mopped as much as we could. The next day, my wife went out for an errand, no problem. The next day, being out of town, I got the call that the car could not get out of park. The car had to be towed to a Volvo dealership where I was asked to lay out $1,000 for removing the carpets and look at the "modules", plenty of them apparently and in the most unreasonably exposed locations. No way Jose! Making a fuss with Volvo Care in NJ headquarters, the exploration started at no cost. The fact that outside influences intervened was the reason why the warranty on the car would not apply.

The fact that a window rolled down without human intervention was something that was not in their book of defects. To make a long story short, the car is at the dealership to be assessed by an insurance adjuster and this is where the shocking bit is: Volvo cars finds comfort in the fact that we buy comprehensive policies to protect the car and others and that an unhappy occurrence resulting from defective electronics (can be hardware and software) is passed on to the general public through the mutual insurance premium system. This was not the ways of the Swedish Volvo company. Volvo has become a Chinese owned company and new models can reach 65% made in China. Readout the details when you go shopping for a new Volvo model or simply don't. I was a Volvo fan and still am driving my 2012 XC70.

The new Volvo's resale value are plummeting for good reason. I feel sorry for the Volvo dealerships although the amount of expensive repairs is good business for the time being. My last Volvo will be a 2015, last year of the real T6, meaning 6 cylinders not the new souped up 4 cylinders given the same designation for making the same over 300 ponies: but for how long? Faith is something to be maintained and cultivated; Volvo Cars is missing in its mission: no more half million milers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2019

My unsafe and unreliable Volvo XC60. This is why I will never buy a Volvo again. A 1 year car which has been almost 4 month under repair, with problems affecting the engine, transmission, consumption, start and stop system, software... The Volvo customer support has been very bad. NEVER AGAIN!!! www.unsafevolvo.com

Original review: May 12, 2019

The Conti Sport Contact In 225/45R17 only lasted 20 km. Equipped in factory by Volvo. Continental disclaimed with that I may have a voucher through the wear, logically as the wear was not in 95% they will pay in a voucher. Return the tire, since the legal limit was achieved they would refund about 5% of the total cost. It was the most stupid offer that has being given me. Do not buy Continental or Volvo, because Volvo completely ignored the claim - nor answered

Original review: May 9, 2019

My 5-year-old Volvo runs well, however, the cosmetic chrome on the center counsel is blistered. I expected the car to look nice as well as run well for longer. This defect will highly affect my resale.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: April 25, 2019

Don't buy a new Volvo SUV. There are so many electronics issues, and the dealership has an excuse for all of them. The phone disconnects from the system after a couple of hours. VOLVO blames this on Apple CarPlay and says they can do nothing about it. On-line, VOLVO brags about having added Apple CarPlay to its 2019 SUVs. Don’t brag about it if you haven’t figured out how to get it to work with the VOLVO computer system. The radio turns on in the car when the keys are in the house, the car is in the locked garage and has been turned off. VOLVO says that the car must be locked -- in order for the car to be powered down.

The radio doesn't consistently turn down when replying to a text. You never know when it's going to work or not work. With nothing on the passenger car seat, the red light in the instrument panel flashes on and off, indicating that the seatbelt should be turned on. So disappointed that I bought this brand new car and have absolutely no recourse.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought my first Volvo in 1973 and drove it 180,000 miles. In 1985 when we bought a 240DL and drove it 225,000 miles. In 2005 when we bought the S80. Today after 14 years and 250,000 miles BETELEW the 3rd is done. An internal engine problem and no compression in #1 cylinder. Thinking back about my Volvo’s and reading the posts here I want to share my Volvo experience with you. First of all I would not recommend buying a used Volvo unless there is documentation that scheduled maintenance was done. Volvo’s can be a bit pricey to maintain and many people just don’t take care of them. I bought all of my Volvo’s brand new, maintained them as outlined in the manual, and all work was done by the dealership or an independent shop that specialized only in Volvo’s.

Driving a Volvo for 45 years has taught me a lot. The most important is that there is a big difference between a 15 minute oil change and a dealership scheduled service. There is a long list of items to be checked, lubricated, tightened, or adjusted that only a dealership will perform. 15 minutes oil change is not a maintenance service, and you certainly get what you pay for. I read these posts and so many contain “bought a used Volvo” “poor quality” “factory defect” and how horrible Volvo customer service is and I laugh. I’ve had things happen to my Volvo’s over the years too. The difference is that when you are a regular customer at a dealership as I have been, you will receive excellent customer service. Loyalty is rewarded.

I would be embarrassed if I drove Into a dealership for the first time with nothing but 30 minute oil changes and demand good customer service. If you think I’m exaggerating I’m not. In 45 years and 3 Volvo’s I have only been towed 4 times and 3 of those were from my driveway. I was never left stranded or put in a dangerous situation. I bought each of my Volvo’s for safety which I consider to be an investment. I took care of my investments and they took care of me, faithfully, safely, comfortably, and tonight we will return to Volvo to buy BETELEW #4.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have had my Volvo XC60 for one year now and have driven it 20,000 miles. It handles very well on dry roads, the T5 engine has plenty of power and the transmission is extremely smooth. It gets about 27 mpg combined city/highway but requires 91 grade. It is roomy and very comfortable to drive and has some great technological options. But there is much more road noise than many lower priced vehicles - I would have expected much quieter at this price point.

The voice commands are useless; I have had voice commands in Ford and GMC vehicles for the last 10 years and got used to how well they worked but the Volvo is not even close - it is very annoying to try using it. The foot activated tailgate only works occasionally, usually when you do not intend to use it. The XC60 is good to drive on dry roads but is very scary to drive on snow covered roads; again, Ford Escape and GMC Terrain are much more sure-footed in snow. After owning this XC60, I would not purchase another Volvo.

Original review: March 22, 2019

DO NOT BUY a Volvo unless you want one headache after another... They are horrible. And if you have a problem and call the 800 full phone number they will not help you with anything. Bought a used 2005 XC90, paid $ 7000. After 3 months the transmission went out. Got a used transmission to replace the old one, now a month later the electrical is shot. And although there is a recall and a fire hazard for this year and model, the Volvo company says my Vin number is not covered. WTF! Great way to do business

Original review: March 20, 2019

Three months ago I decided to trade in a fantastic 2017 Volvo V60 for the brand new Volvo V90 Cross Country because the new Volvo cars platform and design is so beautiful. I test drove the vehicle and liked it enough. Something inside told me that I would miss the V60 but went ahead with the new car because I was offered a great lease deal. About two weeks afterward I was virtually convinced I had made a bad choice and it all stemmed from three things:

The digital screen is the “crown jewel” of all new Volvos, no more physical buttons on these new cars except for a few. I believe that because it is a brand technology for the brand, it needs a LOT of refinement. The systems is slow starting up, it also acts up unwarranted at random times, it would drop phone calls intermittently and reconnect the same way, the cross traffic sensors would go off randomly even when stopped at a red traffic light and nothing or no one around me would be either present, moving close by or approaching my vehicle.

I listen to music through streaming my phone, but the sound system sounded weak if I only streamed. On the other hand if I connected the phone or an iPod physically to the USB port then it would sound good. The back-up camera would work appropriately only 60% of the time The car is very heavy, and honestly, the T5 engine is not powerful enough to haul the vehicle, I strongly suggest the T6 engine. Which brings me to the last issue, gas mileage is not the best precisely because of issue number two above. All this just led me to trade the lease back to my previous V60 as I was lucky it had not sell yet and still was available. Final thought from me; I am sure that in three or four years Volvo will master the touch screen infotainment and when that happens then their cars will truly be amazing, because their design is impeccable.

Volvo Company Information