Save on Car Repairs

Volvo
1.99/5
Based on 205 reviews that contain star ratings

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

441 Volvo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I bought the Volvo S60 2017 model couple of weeks back from authorised Volvo dealer, I have the warranty for 2 years. I experienced the vibration on the accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so I raised an issue to Volvo dealer and they took it immediately for servicing and they said they fixed something but it did not resolve the issue and I had the same vibration on accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so they again take it back for servicing and after one day they reported the problem cannot be fixed and I have to drive with this vibration as long as I keep this car. How can they say this when the car is still in warranty and no solution for it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I needed my Volvo to serviced and took the car to an authorized representative. I expected a modicum of politeness from the agent, but none was on offer. MY wife asked a pretty innocuous request, which was how long the car might take to repair/service. This was a company car which was of no interest to me apart from when I might get back to work. But the Volvo representative, for whatever reason, wanted to be nasty and told my wife to shut up and sit down. When I challenged the Manager on this behavior he was also uninterested. The Car was Serviced but I complained to Volvo about this and they did nothing. As a result they lost the ability to provide 150 cars. Was their rudeness a good financial decision? Only they know.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This SUV was great the first 7 yr and about 70000 miles then electrical issues started with a slow drain on the battery which we replaced but even with the new battery if the car sat for more than 4 days the battery would have to be recharged. Lived with this for another 1 yr then major issues and repair costs started. Replaced a bad belt pulley ($1200) at Pep Boys after car died on the road. One month later had intake valve issues another $1000. Two months after that heard gurgling noises around alternator after 10 miles of driving car shut down and dead on the road again, not happy with Volvo. Took it to Volvo after $1800 bill and still having the gurgling sound. Now Volvo repair shop want another $4000 to fix something else in the engine compartment, something about rebuilding bushings? I've had enough, one big nightmare, time to go back to Toyota!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Anyone have this problem with their Volvo? And if not you should be aware of a little maintenance the service department should do so this expensive bill does not happen to you. I had water in my driver's side floor in my 2011 Volvo XC60 SUV. I took it to the dealer service department and they told me that I probably have dirt clogging up the channels in the sunroof. I rarely use the sunroof, but okay. I asked how I can prevent the debris from building up in the channels and I was told that when I bring it in for maintenance (oil change, tire rotation etc.) I should ASK them to use air to clean out the channels. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN A REGULAR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE!??? It is a SERIOUS design flaw in the car...

I got the call today from the dealer that there is water all throughout the car and the seats have to be pulled and the carpet dried. The cost for this will be $1477!!! AND the computer under the driver seat may need to be replaced at a cost of $1700! I can purchase a laptop for that! Please inform your friends to ask their mechanic or service pro to clean out the channels of their sunroof and avoid this expensive design flaw in Volvo.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Like many of you, I am a die hard Volvo fan. A loyal Volvo customer, I purchased my Certified Pre-owned Volvo XC-60 a few days ago. It's almost brand new and a beautiful vehicle. I was very excited to set up the Volvo On Call app on my iPhone. It doesn't work! I ignored a few negative on-line reviews about Volvo On Call app and service. Do NOT overlook these reviews!

Sadly, it took me over 5 phone calls to set the app up. Then, after paying $200 to get the app functional, it worked for one day. I was happy until the next day when the app totally failed. No services available! I called Volvo On Call... They said it will be fixed within 24 hours. Giving 24 hours, I didn't use the app. I then tried to use the app (well past 24 hours), to no avail! The app doesn't even recognize my account. It wanted me to start all over again (!).

Frustrated, I called and asked Volvo for a refund. The answer... "No! We don't refund for the app..." I explained that it's not working. Volvo, reluctantly, offered a mail-in 30 percent off coupon, which I declined. I don't want 30 percent off. I want the Volvo On Call app that I just paid $200 for to work properly, as it should. As a loyal Volvo owner, I am extremely dissatisfied. I almost purchased an Audi. I am thinking that would have been the better choice now. If you purchase a new Volvo, please be aware that the Volvo On Call app may not work! Even Volvo management will not offer you a refund - or seemingly care - if your Volvo On Call app is working properly or not. "Buyer beware" on this app!

My Volvo is a wonderful vehicle, for sure! However, don't trust the technology or the service before you provide your credit card, as I did. Sorry, Volvo. You've let down one of your biggest fans in me. I would recommend a Volvo, but it's impossible for me to recommend that someone I care about spends $200 per year for the Volvo On Call app, as the service doesn't work and is abhorrent, at best. Please think twice before buying this app and trusting the service like I did. It's a very frustrating and disappointing experience. I can't get a refund, and the app truly doesn't perform well at all. It's good app in theory, but it lacks the practical expectation of functionality. Regretfully submitted, a frustrated and disappointed Volvo enthusiast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: July 17, 2018

I currently own a 2008 Volvo C70 with only 60K miles. Although the car is OK in general the leather seats are terrible. I have kept these seats cleaned with leather cleaner but that has not done any good. These seat have worn, cracked, and split leather. The manufacturer will not help in any way. The same was true for my 2001 Volvo S60, which at the time on trade in only had 70K miles. I thought at the time that I just did not take care of those seats. That was wrong on my part. They just make terrible seats. I have learned my lesson. Never again will I purchase a Volvo. PS repair cost are also very high.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I like my Volvo - it's a good, solid car. I love my car's heated seats, sun/moon roof, dual temperature controls, and polished wooden steering wheel. I also like the heated mirrors, headlight wipers, 40/60 fold down back seats with a pass-through, and spacious trunk. The gas mileage could be better though, and there's only ONE cup holder. Then the electronic switchblade key with electric lock control is hideously expensive to replace. Also, since we don't have a Volvo dealer anywhere within 100 miles, no one wants to work on it.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I love the Volvo. The handling and traction are exceptional and the all wheel drive acts like a 4 wheel drive. Ours is white so it maintains a cleaner appearance. The sunroof and leather interior, although very hot in the summer months, are also great and the heated seats are a joy during the winter months. The price we got the car for could not have been better too. And the gas mileage is as good as a brand new car. It's just that it has no cup holders and its tires always appear low because they are low profile tires.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I wanted a luxury SUV, and after shopping around found a slightly used Volvo for a good price. It has been a great experience with my Volvo XC 60 and my next vehicle will also be a Volvo. It drives smoothly and has good gas mileage. I love the rain sensor, Bluetooth option, stereo systems, heated seats, auto start, and keyless ignition. However, I would like a heated steering wheel, auto hatch lift, even better gas mileage. But I am so happy with my Volvo that it's hard to come up with negatives.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Love driving it. Over 180,000 miles now and hope to have more years. Also hope to have it last so my child can drive it in two years. It has a good quality, comfortable, heated seats, safety, long lasting, reliable and good looking. It's a reputable company as well. I am happy with everything about the vehicle and would purchase again. Would tell my family and friends to buy it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love my Volvo wagon. It's very reliable and I like the color. I like the moonroof, the power windows, power locks, air conditioning and heated seats. It gets great gas mileage. It's an automatic and I love that. It also has 4 doors and that I can fold the back seats down to move large items. The back is also big enough for an air mattress for camping. I love how it drives and I like that it's a turbo. I also think it's cool that the headlights have wipers.

However, I wish it had 4 wheel drive for snow and icy conditions. It does have a setting for snowy weather but I haven't had to use it. I also wish that it was a newer model, just for the cosmetic reasons. I also wish that I had a newer stereo and I had my CD player worked. The tape player works so I can use a tape adapter to listen to music, but I wish it had a Bluetooth wireless connection or auxiliary cord as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Volvo is very good and decent. I like the tape in the car. I like the size as it's smaller and compact. It has nice color, comfortable seats and great design. Overall easy to drive and to park. But it is too expensive, hard to maintain and do repairs for. It is a bit unpractical and a bit weak for longer distance. It is too much of a city car and not functional inside for water bottle area and trunk opener. There are a few features that should be improved over time, but not a bad model.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Volvo line up is full of high-quality vehicles. Volvo has a great reputation for safety too. I also love how sporty this Volvo S40 car is. The brushed aluminum finished are reminiscent of a race car. After owning it for years, it has been incredibly reliable for me. Plus, the smooth ride easily placed this car above other makes like Audi. However, there are some sunroof leaking issues. The fuel economy could be better and the wheels are an uncommon size making tire voice limited and more costly.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Handling is smooth, it is very quiet and very reliable. I have had zero issues with this vehicle and it has been driven a lot. The ride is extremely comfortable and the interior features are very upscale. I like the push-button start, heated seats and rear parking sensors. The interior and exterior are very premium and the car was built to last. I like the keyless entry also. It handles well and it takes the bumps in the road well. But the only thing I would like to be different is the gas mileage.

Original review: June 1, 2018

2015.5 V60 21,305 miles. Took to Volvo Mission Viejo CA. Want to replace ICM for $1,302.26. No explanation re: why all failed and what inherent issue(s) is/are with the car that caused failure. Low miles, not old car. No guarantee that problems will be resolved for $1,302.26 so I can feel comfortable driving it. Given Volvo's fairly bad reputation re; electronics and computer/software this is of great concern.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The dealer I got this new Volvo semi truck from is CIT Trucks Springfield IL. The front wheels came loose, wheel bearing loose, tool box doors loose, but driveshaft has damage the whole driveline. This truck is not safe. Video on Youtube (Volvo truck shakes).

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2007 Volvo S60 is a great sports Sedan. The paint and workmanship stand out - it still looks new. The car is well powered & geared nice - perfect for driving around town and a superlative car for long distance road trips. The car is a lot of fun to drive at 60 mph+.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Volvo makes a great car. Whenever I get behind the wheel of another car it mostly feels like I'm driving a tin can. AND, we picked up our Volvo in Switzerland. Volvo paid for the trip. My Volvo XC60 is a 2013 and my repairs have been minimal, I get great gas mileage. I have no doubt then when I'm ready to purchase another car, it'll be a Volvo.

Original review: May 5, 2018

It looks good, the safety features are top notch, it’s easy to handle and it’s safe. The interior is beautifully crafted and the warranty covers almost everything.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Volvo car is overall far superior to any other car that I've owned. Great comfort, ergonomics, reliability, smooth ride, lots of space and good power.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've owned this 2016 Volvo S60 Premier T5 for almost 2 years now and it has been a great car so far. The only peeve I have is the engine start/stop when sitting in traffic. It's really sensitive to the speed of the car but luckily it can be turned off. The car has plenty of safety features with the tech package including the lane departure warning and BLIS. Also I highly recommend the sport package. While the 19" wheels aren't too flashy the shorter more aggressive springs make the car handle great on windy roads. Altogether the Volvo S60 is a great car.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I received more than adequate amount of information on the car that I like most. In fact, I drive my vehicle of choice. I was just looking at the updated model. I’ve been driving this model car since 1990. I’ve update the model every 3 or 4 yrs. My parents also had this model car & I took my driver’s test in 1 & passed. This car is expensive but it’s worth it. In 2013 I was involved in a head on collision. It was during a snow storm & a truck cross the center line & hit me head on. It was awful. I truly believed that my car saved my life.

The truck was unrecognized. My car had a smashed front end. Thank God we both survived. My car was total because they said only because of the airbags went inflated and was very expensive to repair. I bet you are wondering what type of car that I drive. It’s a VOLVO!!! The best made car in the world. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s dependable, durable, and looks great. My brother even drives one. His is brand new, mine's not. But I still love it. I’ll probably will update mine when I go back to work.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The four cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage while delivering excellent power. Although the Volvo Passat B5 is a wagon model it handles like a sports car. It has all the bells and whistles that one really needs, great sound system, heat and air, heated leather seats, great visible instrument cluster, cruise, all power windows, seats, and lots of space for groceries or camping gear in the back. Great Car.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I love my Volvo S60 T5 but I wish a manual came with it and iPhones would work with the radio. There is some difficulty with unlatching the seat belt. Nevertheless, I love feeling safe when I drive the car.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I’m a Volvo fan and this is my 3rd Volvo, I’ve had a C30 (which I loved), 2015 XC60 T6 (which was solid) and now this thing (2018 XC60 R design) which is definitely the worst. For a car of this price, the ride is just ok - it feels flimsy and almost too light rims so it feels a little more solid when they are on. The finishing is ok but there is way too much hard plastic for a car of this price, the tech works sometimes and the engine is extremely noisy. The tech is the worst part, the windshield wipers sometimes go on sometimes don’t, they sometimes go on very fast when there is hardly any rain and then go on full speed when your stopped or they just don’t come on - this is all on rain sensor mode, the car sensors constantly go off when nothing is around your car.

The car fob forgets your presets constantly or doesn’t recognize you, your personal settings just change for no reason, the lift gate for some reason won’t close and lock in the morning only. The sunroof button is so finicky and poorly designed, the rear security cover - same thing. I know I have 22” wheels and the ride would be a little louder but it is so loud! There is quite a bit of wind noise from the doors and the mirrors, the road noise is kind of extreme, when you hit a bump or hole the car bangs! I have had the car in several times for the tech and there is always an update to the hardware but the tech issues above never get solved, I know the service guys are confused and are trying though - it’s not their fault. It’s just the car. My expectations were high when I bought this and have to say I’ll consider BMW first next time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The volume of service issues with this car (2016 XC90) is incredible. I am working to have all of my service records released and then will post them for proof. Issues are as follows: On 10 hour trip - autopilot cut out - this is a charged accessory upgrade. On a 5 hour trip - autopilot unavailable again. On a 5 hour trip returning home and ALL audio shuts off. Navigation was not communicating so it was then noticed that no music, not turn signal noise, no locking noise, no nothing. Coolant light came on - refilled after FINALLY finding someone who could tell me where to locate. Came on again. Dealer said they have noticed this issue a few times... Hose is clamped too tight from factory and needs replaced.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a fairly new XC90 T8 and have continuously problems with the electronic and the software. Talking to the Dealer is useless since there is only one person at Schumacher who knows a little. All others know nothing. So is Wallace Volvo in Stuart. My Volvo has 10k miles on it and has spend quite a long time for software repair in service. Having a problem since the beginning is most accurate. I could not load the battery over 6 miles capacity, The alarm for the Engine comes on now and then and shortly after that it says, "You have problems with the 12 volt system." The Virtual display shuts on and off during driving etc. It's an ongoing battle and I want to return the car and get a new one. What do I need to do and whom I should contact.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Own a 2015.5 VolvoXc60 T5 with 54000 highway miles. Car has been maintained meticulously. Recently had check engine light come on. Brought to dealer for check. Was advised error codes for O2 sensor and thermostat housing defect. Also advised rear brakes and rotors needed replace. Total cost to me $1800 as warranty had expired at 50K miles.

Have never had to replace rear brakes in my life at 53k miles. Questioned tech and service writer regarding brakes (common on this model?) and thermostat housing defect. (Advised there has been problem with these housings.) However no recall or assistance from Volvo. Always had heard Volvo was a good vehicle with good customer service, but cannot attest to this. No help from dealer. Will be contacting Volvo USA. Not what you expect from a 45k automobile.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

S60 - A SAFE CAR, that is comfortable to ride in, does highways well, and you don't hear about VOLVO having recalls for mechanical or air bag defects! Also good service experience, so they keep the car in tip top shape.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have a 2012 Volvo S60. During the warranty period, the piston rings needed replaced. At 91000 miles, the car began to shake violently. I took it to the nearest Volvo dealer. They told me I needed a new engine because 3 spark plugs had their electrode tips fall out and score the cylinders. I took the complaint to corporate Volvo, and they told me that 'they were sorry for the inconvenience' but offered nothing in terms of financial assistance. I took the complaint up through 2 levels of management, and still received no assistance. Also of note, the car previously had the piston rings replaced, and strut plates replaced. I’ve owned 5 other cars (Honda and Acuras) and ran them all past 100k, and never had to replace an engine. I’m now out 5 grand, and will remember this experience for the rest of my car buying years. I suggest you reflect on this story as well before your next car purchase.

Volvo Company Information