Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
Volvo
2.51/5

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

448 Volvo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Major issues with our 2015 XC60. Last year we started getting the low oil indicator light about every 500 miles. Took it to our dealership and they replaced our oil trap/PVC for $452. Continued to lose oil. Read online that oil leakage was a problem with this model/year. Kept adding oil as needed. While having a routine oil change at our trusted mechanics we explained about the oil consumption. They also checked the forums and replaced the oil filter again.

On a trip 3 weeks ago (Dec. 26, 2018) the “reduced engine performance” light came on. We pulled over and had the car towed. The dealership said oil had leaked into a cylinder and damaged the engine. They could not guarantee that replacing the cylinder would be a fix, and that more likely the entire engine would need to be replaced for about $11,000. Volvo Customer Service politely offered us a coupon worth $60 to help. Really, really, really disappointed and will continue to complain in every available forum until Volvo contacts us. They can reach us at **.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We bought our 2018 Volvo XC90 T8 on September 2017. On June 2018, the car fuel filler pipe is under recalled and the car was in the shop for a couple of days. In September 2018, the check engine light came up and the car is once again in the shop to have the fuel filler pipe change again and at the same time, the door handle electronic fail and need to be replaced. After the replacement and the Sirius firmware update, the car acted funny and is not able to charge properly. The dealer has to diagnose for a couple of weeks before determining that the car needs a new thermostat.

Once again the car is in the shop to have the thermostat changed. After the thermostat is changed, the car shows error in communicating with the Volvo on call server and the car is back to the shop to have the VCM electronic firmware upgrade and later on replaced due to VCM module faulty. After the VCM is changed, check engine light came on and once again the car is in the shop and have the fuel filler pipe changed for the 3rd time. During the same time, the sunroof failed and the electronics for the sunroof is also changed.

By this time (Dec 2018), the car was in and out of the dealer service shop for 5 to 6 times and the car was in the shop for more than 30 days. We filed a complaint to Volvo that the car is a lemon according to the Lemon law in Texas. (If the car is in the shop for more than 30 days or serious safety hazzard malfunction replaced for 3 times) Since Dec 7, 2018 when the complaint is filed, Volvo did NOT come back with any reply for a month (Jan 7 2019). We are now thinking of getting a Lemon Law Lawyer to help us with our case.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

2018 XC60, 12 month on the road with 13,000 miles. 37 days in the repair shop, back in now. Hybrid battery replaced still with hybrid engine failure. I want to love the car, I like the technologies and wanted a plug in, but this is too much.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I purchased this car new. All the bells and whistles platinum edition and it has been a problem piece of metal. 60000 miles and more time in the shop and idiots can fix it. Bunch of money wasted. Soon as I can keep it running long enough I am trading it to some lucky dealership. So stay away from all XC60 or you may get this lemon.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My check engine light flashed while driving on Tuesday November 20th at about 4:45 pm. I was nearest my local Mechanic shop and the tech plugged in the computer gadget that reads what is happening and told me a housing under the hood needed to be removed to investigate further. I took the car in the next morning and found out that my timing belt was about 1/2 shredded and ready to break at any moment. I was told I couldn't drive it and that the repairs would not be completed until Tuesday November 27 following the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I have a 2005 wagon and the timing belt was replaced by Volvo at 125K. The car now has 165K miles. I was very lucky that I did not have a catastrophic failure and a ruined engine. It was just coincidence that this unrelated issue required a more thorough investigation of the housing where the timing belt is. Timing belts are not warrantied by the Volvo 2015 Lifetime Warranty Plan (no surprise there) but an average belt lasts upwards of 100K miles and is recommended to be replaced at/near that time. I have all documents showing when the belt was replaced and yet Volvo is not standing behind this product.

I don't see any grey area here. This could in no way be something that was done by me. It looks as though the local Volvo dealer either DID NOT install the belt at 125K or it was clearly a faulty unit. I submitted a claim to Volvo Corporate for reimbursement and was denied. A HUGE violation of consumer trust and manufacturer integrity. A final note: Volvo refused to share with me the details of the investigation nor did they provide any reason for the denial except to state it was an internal matter and that timing belts are "wear" items. I requested a written accounting for my records and was also denied. I could not even get the name of the Corporate official who made the decision.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We owned a Volvo V70 XC for over 17 years with low mileage of only 67K+ miles. We took it to service always on schedule and had received good service. Recently we moved to California. We took our car for "full service" immediately upon arrival. Soon after the "full service" we found our handbrakes rather not so responsive. We brought it back for adjustment. Next, we noticed that the AC does not work, brought it back and was told there was nothing wrong, but the serviceman topped up the coolant a bit. We went on a trip through the hot dry interior of California assuming the AC is fixed. The AC did not work and we had to suffer 110 degrees in the car. We brought the car back the second time. We were told the service had refilled the AC with an extra amount of coolant and we paid $130 for labor plus the coolant cost.

Took the car home only to find the AC still did not work. We went back for the third time. By now we told the service dept attendant that the problem must be with the fan. The serviceman checked the fan finally, found it defective, and installed a new one. We were presented a new bill of $139 for labor plus cost for the fan. We refused to pay for the labor charge because they failed to check the fan from previous visits, and we had to return for the third time to get the AC fixed. The serviceman refused to settle telling us that we did not tell the service counter attendant to check the fan. He denied responsibility and blamed us instead. We argued the problem involved two parts, the coolant and the fan that makes up the AC system and that the serviceman should have inspected both parts and repaired accordingly. It was the most unpleasant experience we ever had over 17 years of owning this Volvo. We do not think we would consider another Volvo.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We bought a 2015 Volvo S80 Inscription package. Has been a fabulous car. However after 3 years of use - the leather piping around the driver's seat has become unstitched and the plastic insert is coming out. Sent a photo to Volvo and they stated "not a defect - it is due to wear." Therefore not covered under the warranty. My husband weighs 140 lbs and I am 120 lbs. It is unbelievable that this would happen after 3 years. I have a 2008 Audi TT with leather seats that are pristine after 10 years. They quoted us $1400 to repair. Absolutely insane. Will not buy Volvo again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I bought the Volvo S60 2017 model couple of weeks back from authorised Volvo dealer, I have the warranty for 2 years. I experienced the vibration on the accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so I raised an issue to Volvo dealer and they took it immediately for servicing and they said they fixed something but it did not resolve the issue and I had the same vibration on accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so they again take it back for servicing and after one day they reported the problem cannot be fixed and I have to drive with this vibration as long as I keep this car. How can they say this when the car is still in warranty and no solution for it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I needed my Volvo to serviced and took the car to an authorized representative. I expected a modicum of politeness from the agent, but none was on offer. MY wife asked a pretty innocuous request, which was how long the car might take to repair/service. This was a company car which was of no interest to me apart from when I might get back to work. But the Volvo representative, for whatever reason, wanted to be nasty and told my wife to shut up and sit down. When I challenged the Manager on this behavior he was also uninterested. The Car was Serviced but I complained to Volvo about this and they did nothing. As a result they lost the ability to provide 150 cars. Was their rudeness a good financial decision? Only they know.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This SUV was great the first 7 yr and about 70000 miles then electrical issues started with a slow drain on the battery which we replaced but even with the new battery if the car sat for more than 4 days the battery would have to be recharged. Lived with this for another 1 yr then major issues and repair costs started. Replaced a bad belt pulley ($1200) at Pep Boys after car died on the road. One month later had intake valve issues another $1000. Two months after that heard gurgling noises around alternator after 10 miles of driving car shut down and dead on the road again, not happy with Volvo. Took it to Volvo after $1800 bill and still having the gurgling sound. Now Volvo repair shop want another $4000 to fix something else in the engine compartment, something about rebuilding bushings? I've had enough, one big nightmare, time to go back to Toyota!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Anyone have this problem with their Volvo? And if not you should be aware of a little maintenance the service department should do so this expensive bill does not happen to you. I had water in my driver's side floor in my 2011 Volvo XC60 SUV. I took it to the dealer service department and they told me that I probably have dirt clogging up the channels in the sunroof. I rarely use the sunroof, but okay. I asked how I can prevent the debris from building up in the channels and I was told that when I bring it in for maintenance (oil change, tire rotation etc.) I should ASK them to use air to clean out the channels. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN A REGULAR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE!??? It is a SERIOUS design flaw in the car...

I got the call today from the dealer that there is water all throughout the car and the seats have to be pulled and the carpet dried. The cost for this will be $1477!!! AND the computer under the driver seat may need to be replaced at a cost of $1700! I can purchase a laptop for that! Please inform your friends to ask their mechanic or service pro to clean out the channels of their sunroof and avoid this expensive design flaw in Volvo.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Like many of you, I am a die hard Volvo fan. A loyal Volvo customer, I purchased my Certified Pre-owned Volvo XC-60 a few days ago. It's almost brand new and a beautiful vehicle. I was very excited to set up the Volvo On Call app on my iPhone. It doesn't work! I ignored a few negative on-line reviews about Volvo On Call app and service. Do NOT overlook these reviews!

Sadly, it took me over 5 phone calls to set the app up. Then, after paying $200 to get the app functional, it worked for one day. I was happy until the next day when the app totally failed. No services available! I called Volvo On Call... They said it will be fixed within 24 hours. Giving 24 hours, I didn't use the app. I then tried to use the app (well past 24 hours), to no avail! The app doesn't even recognize my account. It wanted me to start all over again (!).

Frustrated, I called and asked Volvo for a refund. The answer... "No! We don't refund for the app..." I explained that it's not working. Volvo, reluctantly, offered a mail-in 30 percent off coupon, which I declined. I don't want 30 percent off. I want the Volvo On Call app that I just paid $200 for to work properly, as it should. As a loyal Volvo owner, I am extremely dissatisfied. I almost purchased an Audi. I am thinking that would have been the better choice now. If you purchase a new Volvo, please be aware that the Volvo On Call app may not work! Even Volvo management will not offer you a refund - or seemingly care - if your Volvo On Call app is working properly or not. "Buyer beware" on this app!

My Volvo is a wonderful vehicle, for sure! However, don't trust the technology or the service before you provide your credit card, as I did. Sorry, Volvo. You've let down one of your biggest fans in me. I would recommend a Volvo, but it's impossible for me to recommend that someone I care about spends $200 per year for the Volvo On Call app, as the service doesn't work and is abhorrent, at best. Please think twice before buying this app and trusting the service like I did. It's a very frustrating and disappointing experience. I can't get a refund, and the app truly doesn't perform well at all. It's good app in theory, but it lacks the practical expectation of functionality. Regretfully submitted, a frustrated and disappointed Volvo enthusiast.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I currently own a 2008 Volvo C70 with only 60K miles. Although the car is OK in general the leather seats are terrible. I have kept these seats cleaned with leather cleaner but that has not done any good. These seat have worn, cracked, and split leather. The manufacturer will not help in any way. The same was true for my 2001 Volvo S60, which at the time on trade in only had 70K miles. I thought at the time that I just did not take care of those seats. That was wrong on my part. They just make terrible seats. I have learned my lesson. Never again will I purchase a Volvo. PS repair cost are also very high.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I like my Volvo - it's a good, solid car. I love my car's heated seats, sun/moon roof, dual temperature controls, and polished wooden steering wheel. I also like the heated mirrors, headlight wipers, 40/60 fold down back seats with a pass-through, and spacious trunk. The gas mileage could be better though, and there's only ONE cup holder. Then the electronic switchblade key with electric lock control is hideously expensive to replace. Also, since we don't have a Volvo dealer anywhere within 100 miles, no one wants to work on it.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I love the Volvo. The handling and traction are exceptional and the all wheel drive acts like a 4 wheel drive. Ours is white so it maintains a cleaner appearance. The sunroof and leather interior, although very hot in the summer months, are also great and the heated seats are a joy during the winter months. The price we got the car for could not have been better too. And the gas mileage is as good as a brand new car. It's just that it has no cup holders and its tires always appear low because they are low profile tires.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I wanted a luxury SUV, and after shopping around found a slightly used Volvo for a good price. It has been a great experience with my Volvo XC 60 and my next vehicle will also be a Volvo. It drives smoothly and has good gas mileage. I love the rain sensor, Bluetooth option, stereo systems, heated seats, auto start, and keyless ignition. However, I would like a heated steering wheel, auto hatch lift, even better gas mileage. But I am so happy with my Volvo that it's hard to come up with negatives.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Love driving it. Over 180,000 miles now and hope to have more years. Also hope to have it last so my child can drive it in two years. It has a good quality, comfortable, heated seats, safety, long lasting, reliable and good looking. It's a reputable company as well. I am happy with everything about the vehicle and would purchase again. Would tell my family and friends to buy it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love my Volvo wagon. It's very reliable and I like the color. I like the moonroof, the power windows, power locks, air conditioning and heated seats. It gets great gas mileage. It's an automatic and I love that. It also has 4 doors and that I can fold the back seats down to move large items. The back is also big enough for an air mattress for camping. I love how it drives and I like that it's a turbo. I also think it's cool that the headlights have wipers.

However, I wish it had 4 wheel drive for snow and icy conditions. It does have a setting for snowy weather but I haven't had to use it. I also wish that it was a newer model, just for the cosmetic reasons. I also wish that I had a newer stereo and I had my CD player worked. The tape player works so I can use a tape adapter to listen to music, but I wish it had a Bluetooth wireless connection or auxiliary cord as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Volvo is very good and decent. I like the tape in the car. I like the size as it's smaller and compact. It has nice color, comfortable seats and great design. Overall easy to drive and to park. But it is too expensive, hard to maintain and do repairs for. It is a bit unpractical and a bit weak for longer distance. It is too much of a city car and not functional inside for water bottle area and trunk opener. There are a few features that should be improved over time, but not a bad model.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Volvo line up is full of high-quality vehicles. Volvo has a great reputation for safety too. I also love how sporty this Volvo S40 car is. The brushed aluminum finished are reminiscent of a race car. After owning it for years, it has been incredibly reliable for me. Plus, the smooth ride easily placed this car above other makes like Audi. However, there are some sunroof leaking issues. The fuel economy could be better and the wheels are an uncommon size making tire voice limited and more costly.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Handling is smooth, it is very quiet and very reliable. I have had zero issues with this vehicle and it has been driven a lot. The ride is extremely comfortable and the interior features are very upscale. I like the push-button start, heated seats and rear parking sensors. The interior and exterior are very premium and the car was built to last. I like the keyless entry also. It handles well and it takes the bumps in the road well. But the only thing I would like to be different is the gas mileage.

Original review: June 1, 2018

2015.5 V60 21,305 miles. Took to Volvo Mission Viejo CA. Want to replace ICM for $1,302.26. No explanation re: why all failed and what inherent issue(s) is/are with the car that caused failure. Low miles, not old car. No guarantee that problems will be resolved for $1,302.26 so I can feel comfortable driving it. Given Volvo's fairly bad reputation re; electronics and computer/software this is of great concern.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The dealer I got this new Volvo semi truck from is CIT Trucks Springfield IL. The front wheels came loose, wheel bearing loose, tool box doors loose, but driveshaft has damage the whole driveline. This truck is not safe. Video on Youtube (Volvo truck shakes).

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2007 Volvo S60 is a great sports Sedan. The paint and workmanship stand out - it still looks new. The car is well powered & geared nice - perfect for driving around town and a superlative car for long distance road trips. The car is a lot of fun to drive at 60 mph+.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Volvo makes a great car. Whenever I get behind the wheel of another car it mostly feels like I'm driving a tin can. AND, we picked up our Volvo in Switzerland. Volvo paid for the trip. My Volvo XC60 is a 2013 and my repairs have been minimal, I get great gas mileage. I have no doubt then when I'm ready to purchase another car, it'll be a Volvo.

Original review: May 5, 2018

It looks good, the safety features are top notch, it’s easy to handle and it’s safe. The interior is beautifully crafted and the warranty covers almost everything.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Volvo car is overall far superior to any other car that I've owned. Great comfort, ergonomics, reliability, smooth ride, lots of space and good power.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've owned this 2016 Volvo S60 Premier T5 for almost 2 years now and it has been a great car so far. The only peeve I have is the engine start/stop when sitting in traffic. It's really sensitive to the speed of the car but luckily it can be turned off. The car has plenty of safety features with the tech package including the lane departure warning and BLIS. Also I highly recommend the sport package. While the 19" wheels aren't too flashy the shorter more aggressive springs make the car handle great on windy roads. Altogether the Volvo S60 is a great car.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I received more than adequate amount of information on the car that I like most. In fact, I drive my vehicle of choice. I was just looking at the updated model. I’ve been driving this model car since 1990. I’ve update the model every 3 or 4 yrs. My parents also had this model car & I took my driver’s test in 1 & passed. This car is expensive but it’s worth it. In 2013 I was involved in a head on collision. It was during a snow storm & a truck cross the center line & hit me head on. It was awful. I truly believed that my car saved my life.

The truck was unrecognized. My car had a smashed front end. Thank God we both survived. My car was total because they said only because of the airbags went inflated and was very expensive to repair. I bet you are wondering what type of car that I drive. It’s a VOLVO!!! The best made car in the world. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s dependable, durable, and looks great. My brother even drives one. His is brand new, mine's not. But I still love it. I’ll probably will update mine when I go back to work.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The four cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage while delivering excellent power. Although the Volvo Passat B5 is a wagon model it handles like a sports car. It has all the bells and whistles that one really needs, great sound system, heat and air, heated leather seats, great visible instrument cluster, cruise, all power windows, seats, and lots of space for groceries or camping gear in the back. Great Car.

Volvo Company Information