Volvo
3.72/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volvo Reviews

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Just be prepared for HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Some Volvo’s have a known issue for over a year with changing the radio station, my XC90 included that is under warranty. Volvo has known and not done anything to remedy my issue for over 6 months and to make matters worse do not effectively communicate as I wait for 6 weeks after each call for a reply to Volvo’s corporate customer service, which still has not offered any remedy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Four months after purchasing my 2019 XC90 (previous service loaner) from the Santa Ana, CA dealership a spontaneous crack appeared on my windshield starting from the top of the windshield and radiating downward from the middle where the rearview mirror/sensory console is housed. This crack occurred while parked in my driveway at home. I reviewed security cameras to confirm no foreign object had made contact with the car or windshield. I read about a similar experience online in Los Angeles with the crack originating in the same place and also without any indication of impact.

I opened a claim with Volvo. They had me drive to the dealership to have a service advisor inspect it. Ironically, on the drive over for the inspection the windshield was struck by some kind of pebble or debris on the freeway. This was very obvious to me, I saw and heard the impact. As a result, my claim was denied, they claimed the crack originated as a result of the impact. I had allowed a couple of weeks go by before getting into the dealership and took pictures of the affected windshield as soon as I noticed the crack had appeared and at multiple other intervals to capture different periods of time and changes prior to going in. I had a dozen pictures, from different times, all prior to the day of the visit (and impact) as well as pictures from the day of the inspection and impact.

In my communications with Volvo customer care team I asked for my pictures to be reviewed since they clearly corroborated my assertions. I explained, in great detail, what I observed that happened, provided similar cases I researched, offered more than enough evidence. Given the impact marks that are clearly visible in the pictures on the day of the inspection, and not present prior to, in addition to the location of the start of the crack and how it spread, it's quite obvious that the impact point was not where the crack originated but I feel that Volvo was not interested in doing the work or putting in the time to make this right. They seemed more interested in maintaining the original decision, which was made without a complete review of all the information that I tried to present.

I followed up by providing all of the pictures and explanation to substantiate my claim, requested a appeal with a detail account of the information I observed and was providing and a received a simple three sentence response saying sometimes customer don't agree with their decisions and there is nothing they can do about that. You'd think a company of this caliber would strive for better customer service, especially considering this is a $75k vehicle to a new customer. Needless to say I will never purchase from Volvo again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Wheel fell off New XC60 at 580 miles. Driving on the freeway at rush hour, probably doing 30 MPH the front driver's side wheel departed the car. I drove safely off the highway and the wheel didn’t hit any other vehicles. Volvo USA claimed no responsibility, the dealer sent me away with no support. Repairs cost just over $6400. Volvo USA’s FSR said if the wheel wasn’t properly torqued it would have failed with 10 miles. Volvo San Diego stated that they DID NOT check wheel lug torque during Pre Delivery Inspection.

Volvo San Diego’s service manager John ** told me that the FSR checked all the lug nuts remaining on the car and they were all “torqued perfectly” - this is improbable since at the scene of the failure I thought I might put the spare on and drive to the dealer - I removed one lug nut on each of the passenger side wheels - when I actually saw the damage on the drivers side I realized what a stupid idea it was and put them back on the car - but the chances I put those two nuts back on at 105 ft lbs with the tiny lug wrench in the car “perfectly” are extremely remote.

Mr ** also said they could only get one of the 5 lug nuts on the hub that failed to torque properly, but this damage was due only damage at the time the wheel left the car. I would ask how did they determine this give they didn’t check before delivering the car. I asked Volvo USA to provide the calibration records for the equipment used to install the wheels at the factory in China for the time of assembly. They didn’t even respond to this request - except to acknowledge it was received. I believe Volvo did not properly investigate this incident, they failed to properly back their product and their dealer let me down as a customer by totally ignoring this failure and to my knowledge they still don’t do a basic safety inspection of checking torque on lug nuts before allowing customers to drive away.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Has anyone else experienced premature brake wear on their Volvo (we have 2018 XC90). We were advised at 30,000 gentle driven km's that we need new rotors and pads. When we questioned the dealership on this they told us that 'Volvo brakes aren't meant to last like the other manufacturers'. They claim it's for safety reasons, we don't agree, nor do the multiple mechanics (some Volvo mechanics) we have talked to since. Would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this as well as it is a concern.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Hard to believe but it happened twice and at a standstill on our Mclean VA driveway with nobody in the car: At one year interval my wife's beautiful white V90 lowered a window by itself under thunderstorm (lightning and thunder) conditions; the first time a neighbor spotted the opened window before the rain and the window was closed subsequently. The second time, very recently, while we were at home a downpour storm dropped 5 inches of rain in one hour, and the driver's side window was fully down. My wife is like a cat, any air current is a no-no and that driver's side window was lowered only once for a once in a lifetime first interview with a state trooper.

Needless to say, the car floor was full of water and we mopped as much as we could. The next day, my wife went out for an errand, no problem. The next day, being out of town, I got the call that the car could not get out of park. The car had to be towed to a Volvo dealership where I was asked to lay out $1,000 for removing the carpets and look at the "modules", plenty of them apparently and in the most unreasonably exposed locations. No way Jose! Making a fuss with Volvo Care in NJ headquarters, the exploration started at no cost. The fact that outside influences intervened was the reason why the warranty on the car would not apply.

The fact that a window rolled down without human intervention was something that was not in their book of defects. To make a long story short, the car is at the dealership to be assessed by an insurance adjuster and this is where the shocking bit is: Volvo cars finds comfort in the fact that we buy comprehensive policies to protect the car and others and that an unhappy occurrence resulting from defective electronics (can be hardware and software) is passed on to the general public through the mutual insurance premium system. This was not the ways of the Swedish Volvo company. Volvo has become a Chinese owned company and new models can reach 65% made in China. Readout the details when you go shopping for a new Volvo model or simply don't. I was a Volvo fan and still am driving my 2012 XC70.

The new Volvo's resale value are plummeting for good reason. I feel sorry for the Volvo dealerships although the amount of expensive repairs is good business for the time being. My last Volvo will be a 2015, last year of the real T6, meaning 6 cylinders not the new souped up 4 cylinders given the same designation for making the same over 300 ponies: but for how long? Faith is something to be maintained and cultivated; Volvo Cars is missing in its mission: no more half million milers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: June 26, 2019

My unsafe and unreliable Volvo XC60. This is why I will never buy a Volvo again. A 1 year car which has been almost 4 month under repair, with problems affecting the engine, transmission, consumption, start and stop system, software... The Volvo customer support has been very bad. NEVER AGAIN!!! www.unsafevolvo.com

Original review: May 12, 2019

The Conti Sport Contact In 225/45R17 only lasted 20 km. Equipped in factory by Volvo. Continental disclaimed with that I may have a voucher through the wear, logically as the wear was not in 95% they will pay in a voucher. Return the tire, since the legal limit was achieved they would refund about 5% of the total cost. It was the most stupid offer that has being given me. Do not buy Continental or Volvo, because Volvo completely ignored the claim - nor answered

Original review: May 9, 2019

My 5-year-old Volvo runs well, however, the cosmetic chrome on the center counsel is blistered. I expected the car to look nice as well as run well for longer. This defect will highly affect my resale.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Don't buy a new Volvo SUV. There are so many electronics issues, and the dealership has an excuse for all of them. The phone disconnects from the system after a couple of hours. VOLVO blames this on Apple CarPlay and says they can do nothing about it. On-line, VOLVO brags about having added Apple CarPlay to its 2019 SUVs. Don’t brag about it if you haven’t figured out how to get it to work with the VOLVO computer system. The radio turns on in the car when the keys are in the house, the car is in the locked garage and has been turned off. VOLVO says that the car must be locked -- in order for the car to be powered down.

The radio doesn't consistently turn down when replying to a text. You never know when it's going to work or not work. With nothing on the passenger car seat, the red light in the instrument panel flashes on and off, indicating that the seatbelt should be turned on. So disappointed that I bought this brand new car and have absolutely no recourse.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought my first Volvo in 1973 and drove it 180,000 miles. In 1985 when we bought a 240DL and drove it 225,000 miles. In 2005 when we bought the S80. Today after 14 years and 250,000 miles BETELEW the 3rd is done. An internal engine problem and no compression in #1 cylinder. Thinking back about my Volvo’s and reading the posts here I want to share my Volvo experience with you. First of all I would not recommend buying a used Volvo unless there is documentation that scheduled maintenance was done. Volvo’s can be a bit pricey to maintain and many people just don’t take care of them. I bought all of my Volvo’s brand new, maintained them as outlined in the manual, and all work was done by the dealership or an independent shop that specialized only in Volvo’s.

Driving a Volvo for 45 years has taught me a lot. The most important is that there is a big difference between a 15 minute oil change and a dealership scheduled service. There is a long list of items to be checked, lubricated, tightened, or adjusted that only a dealership will perform. 15 minutes oil change is not a maintenance service, and you certainly get what you pay for. I read these posts and so many contain “bought a used Volvo” “poor quality” “factory defect” and how horrible Volvo customer service is and I laugh. I’ve had things happen to my Volvo’s over the years too. The difference is that when you are a regular customer at a dealership as I have been, you will receive excellent customer service. Loyalty is rewarded.

I would be embarrassed if I drove Into a dealership for the first time with nothing but 30 minute oil changes and demand good customer service. If you think I’m exaggerating I’m not. In 45 years and 3 Volvo’s I have only been towed 4 times and 3 of those were from my driveway. I was never left stranded or put in a dangerous situation. I bought each of my Volvo’s for safety which I consider to be an investment. I took care of my investments and they took care of me, faithfully, safely, comfortably, and tonight we will return to Volvo to buy BETELEW #4.

Volvo Company Information