Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Volvo
3.68/5

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

459 Volvo Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought my first Volvo in 1973 and drove it 180,000 miles. In 1985 when we bought a 240DL and drove it 225,000 miles. In 2005 when we bought the S80. Today after 14 years and 250,000 miles BETELEW the 3rd is done. An internal engine problem and no compression in #1 cylinder. Thinking back about my Volvo’s and reading the posts here I want to share my Volvo experience with you. First of all I would not recommend buying a used Volvo unless there is documentation that scheduled maintenance was done. Volvo’s can be a bit pricey to maintain and many people just don’t take care of them. I bought all of my Volvo’s brand new, maintained them as outlined in the manual, and all work was done by the dealership or an independent shop that specialized only in Volvo’s.

Driving a Volvo for 45 years has taught me a lot. The most important is that there is a big difference between a 15 minute oil change and a dealership scheduled service. There is a long list of items to be checked, lubricated, tightened, or adjusted that only a dealership will perform. 15 minutes oil change is not a maintenance service, and you certainly get what you pay for. I read these posts and so many contain “bought a used Volvo” “poor quality” “factory defect” and how horrible Volvo customer service is and I laugh. I’ve had things happen to my Volvo’s over the years too. The difference is that when you are a regular customer at a dealership as I have been, you will receive excellent customer service. Loyalty is rewarded.

I would be embarrassed if I drove Into a dealership for the first time with nothing but 30 minute oil changes and demand good customer service. If you think I’m exaggerating I’m not. In 45 years and 3 Volvo’s I have only been towed 4 times and 3 of those were from my driveway. I was never left stranded or put in a dangerous situation. I bought each of my Volvo’s for safety which I consider to be an investment. I took care of my investments and they took care of me, faithfully, safely, comfortably, and tonight we will return to Volvo to buy BETELEW #4.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I love the Volvo. The handling and traction are exceptional and the all wheel drive acts like a 4 wheel drive. Ours is white so it maintains a cleaner appearance. The sunroof and leather interior, although very hot in the summer months, are also great and the heated seats are a joy during the winter months. The price we got the car for could not have been better too. And the gas mileage is as good as a brand new car. It's just that it has no cup holders and its tires always appear low because they are low profile tires.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I wanted a luxury SUV, and after shopping around found a slightly used Volvo for a good price. It has been a great experience with my Volvo XC 60 and my next vehicle will also be a Volvo. It drives smoothly and has good gas mileage. I love the rain sensor, Bluetooth option, stereo systems, heated seats, auto start, and keyless ignition. However, I would like a heated steering wheel, auto hatch lift, even better gas mileage. But I am so happy with my Volvo that it's hard to come up with negatives.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love my Volvo wagon. It's very reliable and I like the color. I like the moonroof, the power windows, power locks, air conditioning and heated seats. It gets great gas mileage. It's an automatic and I love that. It also has 4 doors and that I can fold the back seats down to move large items. The back is also big enough for an air mattress for camping. I love how it drives and I like that it's a turbo. I also think it's cool that the headlights have wipers.

However, I wish it had 4 wheel drive for snow and icy conditions. It does have a setting for snowy weather but I haven't had to use it. I also wish that it was a newer model, just for the cosmetic reasons. I also wish that I had a newer stereo and I had my CD player worked. The tape player works so I can use a tape adapter to listen to music, but I wish it had a Bluetooth wireless connection or auxiliary cord as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Volvo is very good and decent. I like the tape in the car. I like the size as it's smaller and compact. It has nice color, comfortable seats and great design. Overall easy to drive and to park. But it is too expensive, hard to maintain and do repairs for. It is a bit unpractical and a bit weak for longer distance. It is too much of a city car and not functional inside for water bottle area and trunk opener. There are a few features that should be improved over time, but not a bad model.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: May 12, 2019

The Conti Sport Contact In 225/45R17 only lasted 20 km. Equipped in factory by Volvo. Continental disclaimed with that I may have a voucher through the wear, logically as the wear was not in 95% they will pay in a voucher. Return the tire, since the legal limit was achieved they would refund about 5% of the total cost. It was the most stupid offer that has being given me. Do not buy Continental or Volvo, because Volvo completely ignored the claim - nor answered

Original review: May 9, 2019

My 5-year-old Volvo runs well, however, the cosmetic chrome on the center counsel is blistered. I expected the car to look nice as well as run well for longer. This defect will highly affect my resale.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Don't buy a new Volvo SUV. There are so many electronics issues, and the dealership has an excuse for all of them. The phone disconnects from the system after a couple of hours. VOLVO blames this on Apple CarPlay and says they can do nothing about it. On-line, VOLVO brags about having added Apple CarPlay to its 2019 SUVs. Don’t brag about it if you haven’t figured out how to get it to work with the VOLVO computer system. The radio turns on in the car when the keys are in the house, the car is in the locked garage and has been turned off. VOLVO says that the car must be locked -- in order for the car to be powered down.

The radio doesn't consistently turn down when replying to a text. You never know when it's going to work or not work. With nothing on the passenger car seat, the red light in the instrument panel flashes on and off, indicating that the seatbelt should be turned on. So disappointed that I bought this brand new car and have absolutely no recourse.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have had my Volvo XC60 for one year now and have driven it 20,000 miles. It handles very well on dry roads, the T5 engine has plenty of power and the transmission is extremely smooth. It gets about 27 mpg combined city/highway but requires 91 grade. It is roomy and very comfortable to drive and has some great technological options. But there is much more road noise than many lower priced vehicles - I would have expected much quieter at this price point.

The voice commands are useless; I have had voice commands in Ford and GMC vehicles for the last 10 years and got used to how well they worked but the Volvo is not even close - it is very annoying to try using it. The foot activated tailgate only works occasionally, usually when you do not intend to use it. The XC60 is good to drive on dry roads but is very scary to drive on snow covered roads; again, Ford Escape and GMC Terrain are much more sure-footed in snow. After owning this XC60, I would not purchase another Volvo.

Original review: March 22, 2019

DO NOT BUY a Volvo unless you want one headache after another... They are horrible. And if you have a problem and call the 800 full phone number they will not help you with anything. Bought a used 2005 XC90, paid $ 7000. After 3 months the transmission went out. Got a used transmission to replace the old one, now a month later the electrical is shot. And although there is a recall and a fire hazard for this year and model, the Volvo company says my Vin number is not covered. WTF! Great way to do business

Original review: March 20, 2019

Three months ago I decided to trade in a fantastic 2017 Volvo V60 for the brand new Volvo V90 Cross Country because the new Volvo cars platform and design is so beautiful. I test drove the vehicle and liked it enough. Something inside told me that I would miss the V60 but went ahead with the new car because I was offered a great lease deal. About two weeks afterward I was virtually convinced I had made a bad choice and it all stemmed from three things:

The digital screen is the “crown jewel” of all new Volvos, no more physical buttons on these new cars except for a few. I believe that because it is a brand technology for the brand, it needs a LOT of refinement. The systems is slow starting up, it also acts up unwarranted at random times, it would drop phone calls intermittently and reconnect the same way, the cross traffic sensors would go off randomly even when stopped at a red traffic light and nothing or no one around me would be either present, moving close by or approaching my vehicle.

I listen to music through streaming my phone, but the sound system sounded weak if I only streamed. On the other hand if I connected the phone or an iPod physically to the USB port then it would sound good. The back-up camera would work appropriately only 60% of the time The car is very heavy, and honestly, the T5 engine is not powerful enough to haul the vehicle, I strongly suggest the T6 engine. Which brings me to the last issue, gas mileage is not the best precisely because of issue number two above. All this just led me to trade the lease back to my previous V60 as I was lucky it had not sell yet and still was available. Final thought from me; I am sure that in three or four years Volvo will master the touch screen infotainment and when that happens then their cars will truly be amazing, because their design is impeccable.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I'm a Volvo "enthusiast." Not just an owner. We've had 4 Volvo cars in 6 years, and I got my "dream car" when my husband agreed we could trade my 2015.5 S80 in for the new body style of the S90. I want to love my car, I do! I actually DO love my car, but I don't love the issues we've had. We bought a 2017 S90 Inscription, with all the possible features the car can have. Seriously, there's not an available option this car doesn't have.

My car has been at Volvo of Fredericksburg 15 times, in less than 2 years. That's shameful. Not just for minor issues, either. Some of them are minor, but most of them are not. One issue contributed to a minor accident. First the leather dashboard bubbled up. Okay, it gets hot here and my S90 was one of the very first ones sent to the US, it sat on the lot for a while. It's an expensive sedan in a world that wants crossovers or SUVs. So it was there for many months I guess, before we bought it. They were happy to take the car and replace the dashboard.

There were 3 or 4 minor issues that first trip to be repaired. I was given a nice loaner while it was being fixed. No problem! Love Volvo! Okay, a couple weeks later I'm driving with my kids in the car, and the entire infotainment system shuts off while I'm driving. Just makes a loud noise and then goes black. In about 30 seconds it reset and came back on. But that freaked me out! The thing just failed! And by this time, just a couple months into ownership, there were also several areas on the touchscreen that had either de-laminated or were dead pixels. So they took the car again, for longer this time, and told me they had completely replaced the infotainment hub and fixed the screen. I got the car back, it looked better and seemed fine.

That was the start of the last two years of hell. I can't get in my car and just drive. It's sad. I get in my car and I have a special spot I put my phone where it's easy to access because odds are good I'm going to need to record whatever issue is happening next. You can Google or go to Youtube and see my videos of the infotainment system failing - it's happened twice more since then, once while I was doing 70 mph through the Wasatch mountains of Utah, the whole system just going black while driving including the digital gauges as well as the touchscreen area. All of it. Just shut down while I'm doing freeway speed in a dangerous area. I got that time on video too (well, the tail end of it as it starts resetting itself).

I've had warped brake rotors replaced. I've had issues over and over with the BLIS system, issues with the infotainment system thinking I'm on a call through my cell phone when I get in and turn the car on - I have to unpair the phone and completely reset the system to get it to STOP. I turn the car on and the audio doesn't work, as it shows there is an active phone call... to ME! It's an outgoing call from my phone to my phone that the car initiates somehow. It's been months and that issue still isn't fixed.

There have been physical issues, there have been software issues. Every time I take my car in, they do "software updates" and tell me it's fixed "for sure" this time. Sure it is. Not like I've heard that before. This last time, they finally sent a "field rep" from Volvo to talk to us about the ongoing issues. The rep floated the idea of putting us in a different car. I objected LOUDLY at first. I am very attached to my car, even with the issues. I love my car! I love the way the sound system is, I love the way it handles, I love my car. It's beautiful. We even gave it a name!

So I wasn't interested at that moment in even considering a trade, I just wanted it fixed. So we left it once again to have the infotainment hub changed out, and that night my husband and I talked about reality and the issues with the car. I decided it would be better to trade in the car having SO many issues and I could learn to love another one. We called and then emailed to tell them we would prefer to go that route, and apparently they offered my husband $2,000 toward putting us in a different car.

Seriously? That's like an insult! They helped us find a bank that would do the loan with a lot of negative equity because my 2015.5 Volvo was so new at the time. Now that there's an issue with the car, they can't seem to work very hard to fix it. And the last time the infotainment system shut down, just a couple weeks ago, I was alone in the car and couldn't pull my phone out to make a video. It was raining and I had traffic all around me, in the dark, on a road under construction so Jersey barriers narrowing the lanes. Because I have no video of the system shut down this time, they tried to say it didn't happen. I have video of the same day of the other issues happening, like the BLIS not working or working only at times, and they acknowledged that. Of course they pushed a "software update" and the issue is fixed "for sure" this time.

Sigh. I guess at this point we have to get a lawyer. I didn't want to do that. I have wanted nothing more than to love my S90 the way it's designed to be loved. I want to get in it and just drive, with the sunroof open and the music up loud with no worries. I can't do that, because I know at least 50% of the time, *something* isn't going to work. Fortunately, when the infotainment system and electronic items suddenly fail and it goes dark, I don't lose my brakes. I guess the engine doesn't shut off, so technically I'm "safe" when it happens. Right?

Would you feel safe with your car's entire system in the cabin shutting down while you are on the freeway in traffic? No? Me either. It's so sad, and I've been so hesitant to throw this out on social media or go to the news media, as I think Volvo truly tries to be safe. I think Volvo has a mission that is worth something. I agree they typically provide cars that are worth the money. However in THIS case, there's a serious issue with the car that hasn't been fixed. It's at the point where clearly there will be issues long after the car is no longer under warranty.

How can I keep this car, knowing that in another few months I'm going to be paying out of pocket to fix all these issues? This isn't right, in any way. All they need to do is take this car back and make a *reasonable* accommodation to put us in a different car. I don't want an XC60 (what they usually put us in for a loaner as they don't even have any S90's on their lot, wonder why?). I want an S90, but one that doesn't require being in the shop for days at a time every few weeks. I've not had a single month where nothing went wrong with my car. Not once. I encourage you all to do your homework before plunking down the money to buy a Volvo these days. We will be switching to another car manufacturer as soon as we can. Audi or Jaguar.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I own a 2012 Volvo XC90. I purchased this new. I chose a Volvo because of their reputation. Turns out that they are riding on a reputation that is no longer is accurate. I drive quite a bit. Mostly long distance freeway. At 150k miles the car needs new catalytic converters. Volvo quoted 7k for the repair. Now the transmission is slipping. Blue book on this car is only about 7k. Better off taking it to the wrecking yard. Volvo customer service was no help. Car has been well taken care of. Still looks new but has absolutely no value. I'll never buy a Volvo again.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

In the Details and Restrictions of the Volvo Carefree Coverage it states "for low mileage vehicles (Service will be covered provided they are serviced within 2 months of their anniversary date). (In service anniversary.) My in service date was January 6th - when I tried to book the final service on January 28th, they would not provide the service claiming the program had expired even though I was well within the two month requirement outlined in their Details and Restriction as stated above. Their wording in misleading to consumers and they should clarify it to indicate that their policy does not apply to the final service and that service has to be provided prior to the in service date. Very poor customer relations.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We purchased our Volvo XC60 about 19 months ago after our first child was born because we wanted something safe and reliable. Right from the start, the vehicle started having mechanical issues. It has been to the service center between 10 -15 times for all kinds of issues including the transmission, rotors, and now the brake fluid draining out twice within a few weeks, which the service center found to be a leaking caliper. Since receiving the vehicle back, I have noticed a puddle under my vehicle again. I feel like I am just waiting for the brakes to go out while I am driving down the highway with my 21 month old daughter in the back. There is also the unresolved noise coming from the engine compartment with the vehicle off that we recorded on video.

We were told that the same issue had only happened to one other vehicle in the nation and they don’t know what caused it. So, it wasn’t fixed. It has made that noise on two separate occasions now. We filed a complaint with Volvo corporate on January 2, 2019 after the vehicle was towed in on New Year’s Eve because the brake fluid had drained out of it again. We were told we would be contacted with a decision about Volvo buying back our faulty vehicle within 24-48 hours. The corporate rep said that she had never heard of a vehicle with such extensive issues. Finally, two weeks later I received an email from Volvo corporate letting me know that they were offering us $4000 in trade assistance. The problem with that is the total purchase price of the vehicle was $36k plus tax, so $39,591.

The current average KBB trade in value is $28,500. So, Volvo corporate is expecting us to take a $7000 loss on a vehicle we only owned for 18 months and had planned to own for a very long time. Not to mention the closest match (without moving to an older model) for a pre-owned vehicle at our local Volvo dealership has a sticker of $39,900, so we will would have to shell out at least $3000 more, or what is now $10,000 total just to get into an equivalent vehicle. And if we just decide to get rid of it and buy a different brand vehicle, then we lose an additional $3,000 in the extended warranty that we purchased and the $4,000 trade assistance they offered. So, we either wait until the next malfunction, which should officially qualify us for lemon law, and risk getting into an accident, or we take a major loss on this vehicle.

When I asked how they justified making their customer take that kind of loss on an obviously problematic vehicle, I was told that my “case has been reviewed at the highest level and any further communication should be through Park Place Volvo” (my local dealer). So, they obviously recognize that there is a major problem, but they don’t care about fixing the situation with little or no loss to their customer. After my last communication with them, I posted my story and the video of the noise from my engine on their Facebook page to share what has happened and warn others.

Yesterday evening, Volvo blocked me from posting to or liking anything on their page and deleted my comments. On top of that, I also noticed that others that shared a bad experience were deleted and blocked as well. So, their way of maintaining their impeccable reputation is just to sweep the bad experiences under the rug and make their Facebook page look like it’s full of happy, satisfied customers. I’m absolutely shocked at their antics and how unethical their practices are. As soon as the government shut down ends we will be filing a complaint with the FTC as well.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Major issues with our 2015 XC60. Last year we started getting the low oil indicator light about every 500 miles. Took it to our dealership and they replaced our oil trap/PVC for $452. Continued to lose oil. Read online that oil leakage was a problem with this model/year. Kept adding oil as needed. While having a routine oil change at our trusted mechanics we explained about the oil consumption. They also checked the forums and replaced the oil filter again.

On a trip 3 weeks ago (Dec. 26, 2018) the “reduced engine performance” light came on. We pulled over and had the car towed. The dealership said oil had leaked into a cylinder and damaged the engine. They could not guarantee that replacing the cylinder would be a fix, and that more likely the entire engine would need to be replaced for about $11,000. Volvo Customer Service politely offered us a coupon worth $60 to help. Really, really, really disappointed and will continue to complain in every available forum until Volvo contacts us. They can reach us at **.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We bought our 2018 Volvo XC90 T8 on September 2017. On June 2018, the car fuel filler pipe is under recalled and the car was in the shop for a couple of days. In September 2018, the check engine light came up and the car is once again in the shop to have the fuel filler pipe change again and at the same time, the door handle electronic fail and need to be replaced. After the replacement and the Sirius firmware update, the car acted funny and is not able to charge properly. The dealer has to diagnose for a couple of weeks before determining that the car needs a new thermostat.

Once again the car is in the shop to have the thermostat changed. After the thermostat is changed, the car shows error in communicating with the Volvo on call server and the car is back to the shop to have the VCM electronic firmware upgrade and later on replaced due to VCM module faulty. After the VCM is changed, check engine light came on and once again the car is in the shop and have the fuel filler pipe changed for the 3rd time. During the same time, the sunroof failed and the electronics for the sunroof is also changed.

By this time (Dec 2018), the car was in and out of the dealer service shop for 5 to 6 times and the car was in the shop for more than 30 days. We filed a complaint to Volvo that the car is a lemon according to the Lemon law in Texas. (If the car is in the shop for more than 30 days or serious safety hazzard malfunction replaced for 3 times) Since Dec 7, 2018 when the complaint is filed, Volvo did NOT come back with any reply for a month (Jan 7 2019). We are now thinking of getting a Lemon Law Lawyer to help us with our case.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

2018 XC60, 12 month on the road with 13,000 miles. 37 days in the repair shop, back in now. Hybrid battery replaced still with hybrid engine failure. I want to love the car, I like the technologies and wanted a plug in, but this is too much.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I purchased this car new. All the bells and whistles platinum edition and it has been a problem piece of metal. 60000 miles and more time in the shop and idiots can fix it. Bunch of money wasted. Soon as I can keep it running long enough I am trading it to some lucky dealership. So stay away from all XC60 or you may get this lemon.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My check engine light flashed while driving on Tuesday November 20th at about 4:45 pm. I was nearest my local Mechanic shop and the tech plugged in the computer gadget that reads what is happening and told me a housing under the hood needed to be removed to investigate further. I took the car in the next morning and found out that my timing belt was about 1/2 shredded and ready to break at any moment. I was told I couldn't drive it and that the repairs would not be completed until Tuesday November 27 following the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I have a 2005 wagon and the timing belt was replaced by Volvo at 125K. The car now has 165K miles. I was very lucky that I did not have a catastrophic failure and a ruined engine. It was just coincidence that this unrelated issue required a more thorough investigation of the housing where the timing belt is. Timing belts are not warrantied by the Volvo 2015 Lifetime Warranty Plan (no surprise there) but an average belt lasts upwards of 100K miles and is recommended to be replaced at/near that time. I have all documents showing when the belt was replaced and yet Volvo is not standing behind this product.

I don't see any grey area here. This could in no way be something that was done by me. It looks as though the local Volvo dealer either DID NOT install the belt at 125K or it was clearly a faulty unit. I submitted a claim to Volvo Corporate for reimbursement and was denied. A HUGE violation of consumer trust and manufacturer integrity. A final note: Volvo refused to share with me the details of the investigation nor did they provide any reason for the denial except to state it was an internal matter and that timing belts are "wear" items. I requested a written accounting for my records and was also denied. I could not even get the name of the Corporate official who made the decision.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We owned a Volvo V70 XC for over 17 years with low mileage of only 67K+ miles. We took it to service always on schedule and had received good service. Recently we moved to California. We took our car for "full service" immediately upon arrival. Soon after the "full service" we found our handbrakes rather not so responsive. We brought it back for adjustment. Next, we noticed that the AC does not work, brought it back and was told there was nothing wrong, but the serviceman topped up the coolant a bit. We went on a trip through the hot dry interior of California assuming the AC is fixed. The AC did not work and we had to suffer 110 degrees in the car. We brought the car back the second time. We were told the service had refilled the AC with an extra amount of coolant and we paid $130 for labor plus the coolant cost.

Took the car home only to find the AC still did not work. We went back for the third time. By now we told the service dept attendant that the problem must be with the fan. The serviceman checked the fan finally, found it defective, and installed a new one. We were presented a new bill of $139 for labor plus cost for the fan. We refused to pay for the labor charge because they failed to check the fan from previous visits, and we had to return for the third time to get the AC fixed. The serviceman refused to settle telling us that we did not tell the service counter attendant to check the fan. He denied responsibility and blamed us instead. We argued the problem involved two parts, the coolant and the fan that makes up the AC system and that the serviceman should have inspected both parts and repaired accordingly. It was the most unpleasant experience we ever had over 17 years of owning this Volvo. We do not think we would consider another Volvo.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We bought a 2015 Volvo S80 Inscription package. Has been a fabulous car. However after 3 years of use - the leather piping around the driver's seat has become unstitched and the plastic insert is coming out. Sent a photo to Volvo and they stated "not a defect - it is due to wear." Therefore not covered under the warranty. My husband weighs 140 lbs and I am 120 lbs. It is unbelievable that this would happen after 3 years. I have a 2008 Audi TT with leather seats that are pristine after 10 years. They quoted us $1400 to repair. Absolutely insane. Will not buy Volvo again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I bought the Volvo S60 2017 model couple of weeks back from authorised Volvo dealer, I have the warranty for 2 years. I experienced the vibration on the accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so I raised an issue to Volvo dealer and they took it immediately for servicing and they said they fixed something but it did not resolve the issue and I had the same vibration on accelerator pedal and steering wheel, so they again take it back for servicing and after one day they reported the problem cannot be fixed and I have to drive with this vibration as long as I keep this car. How can they say this when the car is still in warranty and no solution for it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I needed my Volvo to serviced and took the car to an authorized representative. I expected a modicum of politeness from the agent, but none was on offer. MY wife asked a pretty innocuous request, which was how long the car might take to repair/service. This was a company car which was of no interest to me apart from when I might get back to work. But the Volvo representative, for whatever reason, wanted to be nasty and told my wife to shut up and sit down. When I challenged the Manager on this behavior he was also uninterested. The Car was Serviced but I complained to Volvo about this and they did nothing. As a result they lost the ability to provide 150 cars. Was their rudeness a good financial decision? Only they know.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This SUV was great the first 7 yr and about 70000 miles then electrical issues started with a slow drain on the battery which we replaced but even with the new battery if the car sat for more than 4 days the battery would have to be recharged. Lived with this for another 1 yr then major issues and repair costs started. Replaced a bad belt pulley ($1200) at Pep Boys after car died on the road. One month later had intake valve issues another $1000. Two months after that heard gurgling noises around alternator after 10 miles of driving car shut down and dead on the road again, not happy with Volvo. Took it to Volvo after $1800 bill and still having the gurgling sound. Now Volvo repair shop want another $4000 to fix something else in the engine compartment, something about rebuilding bushings? I've had enough, one big nightmare, time to go back to Toyota!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Anyone have this problem with their Volvo? And if not you should be aware of a little maintenance the service department should do so this expensive bill does not happen to you. I had water in my driver's side floor in my 2011 Volvo XC60 SUV. I took it to the dealer service department and they told me that I probably have dirt clogging up the channels in the sunroof. I rarely use the sunroof, but okay. I asked how I can prevent the debris from building up in the channels and I was told that when I bring it in for maintenance (oil change, tire rotation etc.) I should ASK them to use air to clean out the channels. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN A REGULAR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE!??? It is a SERIOUS design flaw in the car...

I got the call today from the dealer that there is water all throughout the car and the seats have to be pulled and the carpet dried. The cost for this will be $1477!!! AND the computer under the driver seat may need to be replaced at a cost of $1700! I can purchase a laptop for that! Please inform your friends to ask their mechanic or service pro to clean out the channels of their sunroof and avoid this expensive design flaw in Volvo.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Like many of you, I am a die hard Volvo fan. A loyal Volvo customer, I purchased my Certified Pre-owned Volvo XC-60 a few days ago. It's almost brand new and a beautiful vehicle. I was very excited to set up the Volvo On Call app on my iPhone. It doesn't work! I ignored a few negative on-line reviews about Volvo On Call app and service. Do NOT overlook these reviews!

Sadly, it took me over 5 phone calls to set the app up. Then, after paying $200 to get the app functional, it worked for one day. I was happy until the next day when the app totally failed. No services available! I called Volvo On Call... They said it will be fixed within 24 hours. Giving 24 hours, I didn't use the app. I then tried to use the app (well past 24 hours), to no avail! The app doesn't even recognize my account. It wanted me to start all over again (!).

Frustrated, I called and asked Volvo for a refund. The answer... "No! We don't refund for the app..." I explained that it's not working. Volvo, reluctantly, offered a mail-in 30 percent off coupon, which I declined. I don't want 30 percent off. I want the Volvo On Call app that I just paid $200 for to work properly, as it should. As a loyal Volvo owner, I am extremely dissatisfied. I almost purchased an Audi. I am thinking that would have been the better choice now. If you purchase a new Volvo, please be aware that the Volvo On Call app may not work! Even Volvo management will not offer you a refund - or seemingly care - if your Volvo On Call app is working properly or not. "Buyer beware" on this app!

My Volvo is a wonderful vehicle, for sure! However, don't trust the technology or the service before you provide your credit card, as I did. Sorry, Volvo. You've let down one of your biggest fans in me. I would recommend a Volvo, but it's impossible for me to recommend that someone I care about spends $200 per year for the Volvo On Call app, as the service doesn't work and is abhorrent, at best. Please think twice before buying this app and trusting the service like I did. It's a very frustrating and disappointing experience. I can't get a refund, and the app truly doesn't perform well at all. It's good app in theory, but it lacks the practical expectation of functionality. Regretfully submitted, a frustrated and disappointed Volvo enthusiast.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I currently own a 2008 Volvo C70 with only 60K miles. Although the car is OK in general the leather seats are terrible. I have kept these seats cleaned with leather cleaner but that has not done any good. These seat have worn, cracked, and split leather. The manufacturer will not help in any way. The same was true for my 2001 Volvo S60, which at the time on trade in only had 70K miles. I thought at the time that I just did not take care of those seats. That was wrong on my part. They just make terrible seats. I have learned my lesson. Never again will I purchase a Volvo. PS repair cost are also very high.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I like my Volvo - it's a good, solid car. I love my car's heated seats, sun/moon roof, dual temperature controls, and polished wooden steering wheel. I also like the heated mirrors, headlight wipers, 40/60 fold down back seats with a pass-through, and spacious trunk. The gas mileage could be better though, and there's only ONE cup holder. Then the electronic switchblade key with electric lock control is hideously expensive to replace. Also, since we don't have a Volvo dealer anywhere within 100 miles, no one wants to work on it.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Love driving it. Over 180,000 miles now and hope to have more years. Also hope to have it last so my child can drive it in two years. It has a good quality, comfortable, heated seats, safety, long lasting, reliable and good looking. It's a reputable company as well. I am happy with everything about the vehicle and would purchase again. Would tell my family and friends to buy it.

Volvo Company Information