Volvo
2.00/5
Based on 201 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

437 Volvo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 30, 2018

Like many of you, I am a die hard Volvo fan. A loyal Volvo customer, I purchased my Certified Pre-owned Volvo XC-60 a few days ago. It's almost brand new and a beautiful vehicle. I was very excited to set up the Volvo On Call app on my iPhone. It doesn't work! I ignored a few negative on-line reviews about Volvo On Call app and service. Do NOT overlook these reviews!

Sadly, it took me over 5 phone calls to set the app up. Then, after paying $200 to get the app functional, it worked for one day. I was happy until the next day when the app totally failed. No services available! I called Volvo On Call... They said it will be fixed within 24 hours. Giving 24 hours, I didn't use the app. I then tried to use the app (well past 24 hours), to no avail! The app doesn't even recognize my account. It wanted me to start all over again (!).

Frustrated, I called and asked Volvo for a refund. The answer... "No! We don't refund for the app..." I explained that it's not working. Volvo, reluctantly, offered a mail-in 30 percent off coupon, which I declined. I don't want 30 percent off. I want the Volvo On Call app that I just paid $200 for to work properly, as it should. As a loyal Volvo owner, I am extremely dissatisfied. I almost purchased an Audi. I am thinking that would have been the better choice now. If you purchase a new Volvo, please be aware that the Volvo On Call app may not work! Even Volvo management will not offer you a refund - or seemingly care - if your Volvo On Call app is working properly or not. "Buyer beware" on this app!

My Volvo is a wonderful vehicle, for sure! However, don't trust the technology or the service before you provide your credit card, as I did. Sorry, Volvo. You've let down one of your biggest fans in me. I would recommend a Volvo, but it's impossible for me to recommend that someone I care about spends $200 per year for the Volvo On Call app, as the service doesn't work and is abhorrent, at best. Please think twice before buying this app and trusting the service like I did. It's a very frustrating and disappointing experience. I can't get a refund, and the app truly doesn't perform well at all. It's good app in theory, but it lacks the practical expectation of functionality. Regretfully submitted, a frustrated and disappointed Volvo enthusiast.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I currently own a 2008 Volvo C70 with only 60K miles. Although the car is OK in general the leather seats are terrible. I have kept these seats cleaned with leather cleaner but that has not done any good. These seat have worn, cracked, and split leather. The manufacturer will not help in any way. The same was true for my 2001 Volvo S60, which at the time on trade in only had 70K miles. I thought at the time that I just did not take care of those seats. That was wrong on my part. They just make terrible seats. I have learned my lesson. Never again will I purchase a Volvo. PS repair cost are also very high.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I like my Volvo - it's a good, solid car. I love my car's heated seats, sun/moon roof, dual temperature controls, and polished wooden steering wheel. I also like the heated mirrors, headlight wipers, 40/60 fold down back seats with a pass-through, and spacious trunk. The gas mileage could be better though, and there's only ONE cup holder. Then the electronic switchblade key with electric lock control is hideously expensive to replace. Also, since we don't have a Volvo dealer anywhere within 100 miles, no one wants to work on it.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I love the Volvo. The handling and traction are exceptional and the all wheel drive acts like a 4 wheel drive. Ours is white so it maintains a cleaner appearance. The sunroof and leather interior, although very hot in the summer months, are also great and the heated seats are a joy during the winter months. The price we got the car for could not have been better too. And the gas mileage is as good as a brand new car. It's just that it has no cup holders and its tires always appear low because they are low profile tires.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I wanted a luxury SUV, and after shopping around found a slightly used Volvo for a good price. It has been a great experience with my Volvo XC 60 and my next vehicle will also be a Volvo. It drives smoothly and has good gas mileage. I love the rain sensor, Bluetooth option, stereo systems, heated seats, auto start, and keyless ignition. However, I would like a heated steering wheel, auto hatch lift, even better gas mileage. But I am so happy with my Volvo that it's hard to come up with negatives.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: June 24, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Love driving it. Over 180,000 miles now and hope to have more years. Also hope to have it last so my child can drive it in two years. It has a good quality, comfortable, heated seats, safety, long lasting, reliable and good looking. It's a reputable company as well. I am happy with everything about the vehicle and would purchase again. Would tell my family and friends to buy it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love my Volvo wagon. It's very reliable and I like the color. I like the moonroof, the power windows, power locks, air conditioning and heated seats. It gets great gas mileage. It's an automatic and I love that. It also has 4 doors and that I can fold the back seats down to move large items. The back is also big enough for an air mattress for camping. I love how it drives and I like that it's a turbo. I also think it's cool that the headlights have wipers.

However, I wish it had 4 wheel drive for snow and icy conditions. It does have a setting for snowy weather but I haven't had to use it. I also wish that it was a newer model, just for the cosmetic reasons. I also wish that I had a newer stereo and I had my CD player worked. The tape player works so I can use a tape adapter to listen to music, but I wish it had a Bluetooth wireless connection or auxiliary cord as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Volvo is very good and decent. I like the tape in the car. I like the size as it's smaller and compact. It has nice color, comfortable seats and great design. Overall easy to drive and to park. But it is too expensive, hard to maintain and do repairs for. It is a bit unpractical and a bit weak for longer distance. It is too much of a city car and not functional inside for water bottle area and trunk opener. There are a few features that should be improved over time, but not a bad model.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Volvo line up is full of high-quality vehicles. Volvo has a great reputation for safety too. I also love how sporty this Volvo S40 car is. The brushed aluminum finished are reminiscent of a race car. After owning it for years, it has been incredibly reliable for me. Plus, the smooth ride easily placed this car above other makes like Audi. However, there are some sunroof leaking issues. The fuel economy could be better and the wheels are an uncommon size making tire voice limited and more costly.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Handling is smooth, it is very quiet and very reliable. I have had zero issues with this vehicle and it has been driven a lot. The ride is extremely comfortable and the interior features are very upscale. I like the push-button start, heated seats and rear parking sensors. The interior and exterior are very premium and the car was built to last. I like the keyless entry also. It handles well and it takes the bumps in the road well. But the only thing I would like to be different is the gas mileage.

Original review: June 1, 2018

2015.5 V60 21,305 miles. Took to Volvo Mission Viejo CA. Want to replace ICM for $1,302.26. No explanation re: why all failed and what inherent issue(s) is/are with the car that caused failure. Low miles, not old car. No guarantee that problems will be resolved for $1,302.26 so I can feel comfortable driving it. Given Volvo's fairly bad reputation re; electronics and computer/software this is of great concern.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The dealer I got this new Volvo semi truck from is CIT Trucks Springfield IL. The front wheels came loose, wheel bearing loose, tool box doors loose, but driveshaft has damage the whole driveline. This truck is not safe. Video on Youtube (Volvo truck shakes).

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2007 Volvo S60 is a great sports Sedan. The paint and workmanship stand out - it still looks new. The car is well powered & geared nice - perfect for driving around town and a superlative car for long distance road trips. The car is a lot of fun to drive at 60 mph+.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Volvo makes a great car. Whenever I get behind the wheel of another car it mostly feels like I'm driving a tin can. AND, we picked up our Volvo in Switzerland. Volvo paid for the trip. My Volvo XC60 is a 2013 and my repairs have been minimal, I get great gas mileage. I have no doubt then when I'm ready to purchase another car, it'll be a Volvo.

Original review: May 5, 2018

It looks good, the safety features are top notch, it’s easy to handle and it’s safe. The interior is beautifully crafted and the warranty covers almost everything.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Volvo car is overall far superior to any other car that I've owned. Great comfort, ergonomics, reliability, smooth ride, lots of space and good power.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've owned this 2016 Volvo S60 Premier T5 for almost 2 years now and it has been a great car so far. The only peeve I have is the engine start/stop when sitting in traffic. It's really sensitive to the speed of the car but luckily it can be turned off. The car has plenty of safety features with the tech package including the lane departure warning and BLIS. Also I highly recommend the sport package. While the 19" wheels aren't too flashy the shorter more aggressive springs make the car handle great on windy roads. Altogether the Volvo S60 is a great car.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I received more than adequate amount of information on the car that I like most. In fact, I drive my vehicle of choice. I was just looking at the updated model. I’ve been driving this model car since 1990. I’ve update the model every 3 or 4 yrs. My parents also had this model car & I took my driver’s test in 1 & passed. This car is expensive but it’s worth it. In 2013 I was involved in a head on collision. It was during a snow storm & a truck cross the center line & hit me head on. It was awful. I truly believed that my car saved my life.

The truck was unrecognized. My car had a smashed front end. Thank God we both survived. My car was total because they said only because of the airbags went inflated and was very expensive to repair. I bet you are wondering what type of car that I drive. It’s a VOLVO!!! The best made car in the world. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s dependable, durable, and looks great. My brother even drives one. His is brand new, mine's not. But I still love it. I’ll probably will update mine when I go back to work.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The four cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage while delivering excellent power. Although the Volvo Passat B5 is a wagon model it handles like a sports car. It has all the bells and whistles that one really needs, great sound system, heat and air, heated leather seats, great visible instrument cluster, cruise, all power windows, seats, and lots of space for groceries or camping gear in the back. Great Car.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I love my Volvo S60 T5 but I wish a manual came with it and iPhones would work with the radio. There is some difficulty with unlatching the seat belt. Nevertheless, I love feeling safe when I drive the car.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I’m a Volvo fan and this is my 3rd Volvo, I’ve had a C30 (which I loved), 2015 XC60 T6 (which was solid) and now this thing (2018 XC60 R design) which is definitely the worst. For a car of this price, the ride is just ok - it feels flimsy and almost too light rims so it feels a little more solid when they are on. The finishing is ok but there is way too much hard plastic for a car of this price, the tech works sometimes and the engine is extremely noisy. The tech is the worst part, the windshield wipers sometimes go on sometimes don’t, they sometimes go on very fast when there is hardly any rain and then go on full speed when your stopped or they just don’t come on - this is all on rain sensor mode, the car sensors constantly go off when nothing is around your car.

The car fob forgets your presets constantly or doesn’t recognize you, your personal settings just change for no reason, the lift gate for some reason won’t close and lock in the morning only. The sunroof button is so finicky and poorly designed, the rear security cover - same thing. I know I have 22” wheels and the ride would be a little louder but it is so loud! There is quite a bit of wind noise from the doors and the mirrors, the road noise is kind of extreme, when you hit a bump or hole the car bangs! I have had the car in several times for the tech and there is always an update to the hardware but the tech issues above never get solved, I know the service guys are confused and are trying though - it’s not their fault. It’s just the car. My expectations were high when I bought this and have to say I’ll consider BMW first next time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The volume of service issues with this car (2016 XC90) is incredible. I am working to have all of my service records released and then will post them for proof. Issues are as follows: On 10 hour trip - autopilot cut out - this is a charged accessory upgrade. On a 5 hour trip - autopilot unavailable again. On a 5 hour trip returning home and ALL audio shuts off. Navigation was not communicating so it was then noticed that no music, not turn signal noise, no locking noise, no nothing. Coolant light came on - refilled after FINALLY finding someone who could tell me where to locate. Came on again. Dealer said they have noticed this issue a few times... Hose is clamped too tight from factory and needs replaced.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a fairly new XC90 T8 and have continuously problems with the electronic and the software. Talking to the Dealer is useless since there is only one person at Schumacher who knows a little. All others know nothing. So is Wallace Volvo in Stuart. My Volvo has 10k miles on it and has spend quite a long time for software repair in service. Having a problem since the beginning is most accurate. I could not load the battery over 6 miles capacity, The alarm for the Engine comes on now and then and shortly after that it says, "You have problems with the 12 volt system." The Virtual display shuts on and off during driving etc. It's an ongoing battle and I want to return the car and get a new one. What do I need to do and whom I should contact.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Own a 2015.5 VolvoXc60 T5 with 54000 highway miles. Car has been maintained meticulously. Recently had check engine light come on. Brought to dealer for check. Was advised error codes for O2 sensor and thermostat housing defect. Also advised rear brakes and rotors needed replace. Total cost to me $1800 as warranty had expired at 50K miles.

Have never had to replace rear brakes in my life at 53k miles. Questioned tech and service writer regarding brakes (common on this model?) and thermostat housing defect. (Advised there has been problem with these housings.) However no recall or assistance from Volvo. Always had heard Volvo was a good vehicle with good customer service, but cannot attest to this. No help from dealer. Will be contacting Volvo USA. Not what you expect from a 45k automobile.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

S60 - A SAFE CAR, that is comfortable to ride in, does highways well, and you don't hear about VOLVO having recalls for mechanical or air bag defects! Also good service experience, so they keep the car in tip top shape.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have a 2012 Volvo S60. During the warranty period, the piston rings needed replaced. At 91000 miles, the car began to shake violently. I took it to the nearest Volvo dealer. They told me I needed a new engine because 3 spark plugs had their electrode tips fall out and score the cylinders. I took the complaint to corporate Volvo, and they told me that 'they were sorry for the inconvenience' but offered nothing in terms of financial assistance. I took the complaint up through 2 levels of management, and still received no assistance. Also of note, the car previously had the piston rings replaced, and strut plates replaced. I’ve owned 5 other cars (Honda and Acuras) and ran them all past 100k, and never had to replace an engine. I’m now out 5 grand, and will remember this experience for the rest of my car buying years. I suggest you reflect on this story as well before your next car purchase.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Bought this car as a certified used car when it was 3 years old, in addition bought extended warranty for additional 5 years or 75,000 miles whichever comes first. It just turned 5 this month. Only 2 years into extended warranty, have another 25,000 miles or so left too. Warranty work since purchase included tire air pressure sensors, few minor things. Had been very happy until last week. Took in for regular maintenance to Weaver Volvo in Raleigh, NC, mentioned I'd been smelling a musty/moldy smell when I turn on my a/c after not driving for few days, I suggested maybe the cabin filter needed changing. The service rep found the cabin filter should have been changed as part of my last service there, but was not done.

In addition, they found that my windshield was leaking above the driver's side, and could actually be lifted up from the Inside! Both extended warranty and Volvo refused to fix it, giving me the name of recommended auto glass place, stating it was a "wear" issue. I stated it was not a wear issue, but a manufacturing and or Install issue. Doing my research, I've found lots of Volvo owners complaining about the very same thing! Volvo knows there is a problem, but does nothing about it. When I contacted the auto glass dealer, I was told they will not even attempt just a reseal, because it fails, because the priming on the oem windshield is defective. They receive calls from many Volvo customers with same problem every week. They will only install a new windshield, brand new install due to their experience with Volvo windshields, breaking, and reseal failures. I decided to not deal with another OEM windshield, as the primer issue appears to be ongoing.

I'm very likely to have the same problem... seen other posts where customers have this same issue 2 or 3 times in a row when replacing a Volvo windshield with another Volvo windshield. I'm going with Pilkington, made in the USA, and has not had these problems leaking. It is going to cost me over $500 for a new windshield installation. I'm contacting Regional Service Manager about my discontent. I bought this Volvo because of its reputation for reliability, but I guess those days are over. I owned a Jeep for 22 years before I had to address a windshield leak. Your windshield should not leak at 5 years old. Some people are seeing leaks much earlier too! It's either the primer alone and/or the glue product. I'd been looking to upgrade my Volvo model... don't think I'll do that now. Weaver Volvo and Volvo... so disappointed in you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

This is my fourth, and last Volvo XC70, because it's discontinued. I have a 2015.5 T6, fully loaded and costing $50K. Today I took the car in for a 30K service. They told me that the rear brake pads were worn and the rotors were groves, - $600 fix. Really, this is unacceptable at 30K miles! Get a grip Volvo, you won't keep customers with this shabby warranty.

Resolution response: June 19, 2017

They covered the majority of the repair. I am satisfied.

Original review: June 3, 2017

We have a Volvo XC60. It's not even paid off yet, but we now have at $6500 repair that I'm told is very uncommon for even cars that have 200,000 miles on them let alone 57,000. The dealership claims it's due to "bad gas." We have never ever used anything but premium gasoline. As soon as this is resolved, I'm turning this piece of crap in and leasing a new vehicle. What's the point of owning if you have a $6500 repair before it's even paid off?

Original review: May 3, 2017

We recently ordered a new Volvo V90CC and when it arrived it did not have the option package that we ordered but did have an another, different option package that we did not order or want. Volvo Laval admitted their mistake but could only offer a replacement for delivery in five months. This timing was unworkable for us and, in return for a small discount, we were forced to take the vehicle and pay for the unwanted option package. Volvo Laval's position was "we have to make money on every sale". We appealed to Volvo Canada and their response was "too bad because you accepted the car". Over the years we have purchased a lot of vehicles, some better than others, but this experience of being forced to pay for options that were the result of the Dealer's error is the worst. A very good reason to not deal with Volvo, ever.

Not sure about Volvo?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Volvo Company Information

Volvo Penta
    Public
    www.volvopenta.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business