Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Volvo
3.67/5

Volvo

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

460 Volvo Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2018

Volvo is very good and decent. I like the tape in the car. I like the size as it's smaller and compact. It has nice color, comfortable seats and great design. Overall easy to drive and to park. But it is too expensive, hard to maintain and do repairs for. It is a bit unpractical and a bit weak for longer distance. It is too much of a city car and not functional inside for water bottle area and trunk opener. There are a few features that should be improved over time, but not a bad model.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Volvo line up is full of high-quality vehicles. Volvo has a great reputation for safety too. I also love how sporty this Volvo S40 car is. The brushed aluminum finished are reminiscent of a race car. After owning it for years, it has been incredibly reliable for me. Plus, the smooth ride easily placed this car above other makes like Audi. However, there are some sunroof leaking issues. The fuel economy could be better and the wheels are an uncommon size making tire voice limited and more costly.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Volvo is a great vehicle. Handling is smooth, it is very quiet and very reliable. I have had zero issues with this vehicle and it has been driven a lot. The ride is extremely comfortable and the interior features are very upscale. I like the push-button start, heated seats and rear parking sensors. The interior and exterior are very premium and the car was built to last. I like the keyless entry also. It handles well and it takes the bumps in the road well. But the only thing I would like to be different is the gas mileage.

Original review: June 1, 2018

2015.5 V60 21,305 miles. Took to Volvo Mission Viejo CA. Want to replace ICM for $1,302.26. No explanation re: why all failed and what inherent issue(s) is/are with the car that caused failure. Low miles, not old car. No guarantee that problems will be resolved for $1,302.26 so I can feel comfortable driving it. Given Volvo's fairly bad reputation re; electronics and computer/software this is of great concern.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The dealer I got this new Volvo semi truck from is CIT Trucks Springfield IL. The front wheels came loose, wheel bearing loose, tool box doors loose, but driveshaft has damage the whole driveline. This truck is not safe. Video on Youtube (Volvo truck shakes).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2007 Volvo S60 is a great sports Sedan. The paint and workmanship stand out - it still looks new. The car is well powered & geared nice - perfect for driving around town and a superlative car for long distance road trips. The car is a lot of fun to drive at 60 mph+.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Volvo makes a great car. Whenever I get behind the wheel of another car it mostly feels like I'm driving a tin can. AND, we picked up our Volvo in Switzerland. Volvo paid for the trip. My Volvo XC60 is a 2013 and my repairs have been minimal, I get great gas mileage. I have no doubt then when I'm ready to purchase another car, it'll be a Volvo.

Original review: May 5, 2018

It looks good, the safety features are top notch, it’s easy to handle and it’s safe. The interior is beautifully crafted and the warranty covers almost everything.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Volvo car is overall far superior to any other car that I've owned. Great comfort, ergonomics, reliability, smooth ride, lots of space and good power.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've owned this 2016 Volvo S60 Premier T5 for almost 2 years now and it has been a great car so far. The only peeve I have is the engine start/stop when sitting in traffic. It's really sensitive to the speed of the car but luckily it can be turned off. The car has plenty of safety features with the tech package including the lane departure warning and BLIS. Also I highly recommend the sport package. While the 19" wheels aren't too flashy the shorter more aggressive springs make the car handle great on windy roads. Altogether the Volvo S60 is a great car.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I received more than adequate amount of information on the car that I like most. In fact, I drive my vehicle of choice. I was just looking at the updated model. I’ve been driving this model car since 1990. I’ve update the model every 3 or 4 yrs. My parents also had this model car & I took my driver’s test in 1 & passed. This car is expensive but it’s worth it. In 2013 I was involved in a head on collision. It was during a snow storm & a truck cross the center line & hit me head on. It was awful. I truly believed that my car saved my life.

The truck was unrecognized. My car had a smashed front end. Thank God we both survived. My car was total because they said only because of the airbags went inflated and was very expensive to repair. I bet you are wondering what type of car that I drive. It’s a VOLVO!!! The best made car in the world. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s dependable, durable, and looks great. My brother even drives one. His is brand new, mine's not. But I still love it. I’ll probably will update mine when I go back to work.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The four cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage while delivering excellent power. Although the Volvo Passat B5 is a wagon model it handles like a sports car. It has all the bells and whistles that one really needs, great sound system, heat and air, heated leather seats, great visible instrument cluster, cruise, all power windows, seats, and lots of space for groceries or camping gear in the back. Great Car.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I love my Volvo S60 T5 but I wish a manual came with it and iPhones would work with the radio. There is some difficulty with unlatching the seat belt. Nevertheless, I love feeling safe when I drive the car.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I’m a Volvo fan and this is my 3rd Volvo, I’ve had a C30 (which I loved), 2015 XC60 T6 (which was solid) and now this thing (2018 XC60 R design) which is definitely the worst. For a car of this price, the ride is just ok - it feels flimsy and almost too light rims so it feels a little more solid when they are on. The finishing is ok but there is way too much hard plastic for a car of this price, the tech works sometimes and the engine is extremely noisy. The tech is the worst part, the windshield wipers sometimes go on sometimes don’t, they sometimes go on very fast when there is hardly any rain and then go on full speed when your stopped or they just don’t come on - this is all on rain sensor mode, the car sensors constantly go off when nothing is around your car.

The car fob forgets your presets constantly or doesn’t recognize you, your personal settings just change for no reason, the lift gate for some reason won’t close and lock in the morning only. The sunroof button is so finicky and poorly designed, the rear security cover - same thing. I know I have 22” wheels and the ride would be a little louder but it is so loud! There is quite a bit of wind noise from the doors and the mirrors, the road noise is kind of extreme, when you hit a bump or hole the car bangs! I have had the car in several times for the tech and there is always an update to the hardware but the tech issues above never get solved, I know the service guys are confused and are trying though - it’s not their fault. It’s just the car. My expectations were high when I bought this and have to say I’ll consider BMW first next time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The volume of service issues with this car (2016 XC90) is incredible. I am working to have all of my service records released and then will post them for proof. Issues are as follows: On 10 hour trip - autopilot cut out - this is a charged accessory upgrade. On a 5 hour trip - autopilot unavailable again. On a 5 hour trip returning home and ALL audio shuts off. Navigation was not communicating so it was then noticed that no music, not turn signal noise, no locking noise, no nothing. Coolant light came on - refilled after FINALLY finding someone who could tell me where to locate. Came on again. Dealer said they have noticed this issue a few times... Hose is clamped too tight from factory and needs replaced.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have a fairly new XC90 T8 and have continuously problems with the electronic and the software. Talking to the Dealer is useless since there is only one person at Schumacher who knows a little. All others know nothing. So is Wallace Volvo in Stuart. My Volvo has 10k miles on it and has spend quite a long time for software repair in service. Having a problem since the beginning is most accurate. I could not load the battery over 6 miles capacity, The alarm for the Engine comes on now and then and shortly after that it says, "You have problems with the 12 volt system." The Virtual display shuts on and off during driving etc. It's an ongoing battle and I want to return the car and get a new one. What do I need to do and whom I should contact.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Own a 2015.5 VolvoXc60 T5 with 54000 highway miles. Car has been maintained meticulously. Recently had check engine light come on. Brought to dealer for check. Was advised error codes for O2 sensor and thermostat housing defect. Also advised rear brakes and rotors needed replace. Total cost to me $1800 as warranty had expired at 50K miles.

Have never had to replace rear brakes in my life at 53k miles. Questioned tech and service writer regarding brakes (common on this model?) and thermostat housing defect. (Advised there has been problem with these housings.) However no recall or assistance from Volvo. Always had heard Volvo was a good vehicle with good customer service, but cannot attest to this. No help from dealer. Will be contacting Volvo USA. Not what you expect from a 45k automobile.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

S60 - A SAFE CAR, that is comfortable to ride in, does highways well, and you don't hear about VOLVO having recalls for mechanical or air bag defects! Also good service experience, so they keep the car in tip top shape.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have a 2012 Volvo S60. During the warranty period, the piston rings needed replaced. At 91000 miles, the car began to shake violently. I took it to the nearest Volvo dealer. They told me I needed a new engine because 3 spark plugs had their electrode tips fall out and score the cylinders. I took the complaint to corporate Volvo, and they told me that 'they were sorry for the inconvenience' but offered nothing in terms of financial assistance. I took the complaint up through 2 levels of management, and still received no assistance. Also of note, the car previously had the piston rings replaced, and strut plates replaced. I’ve owned 5 other cars (Honda and Acuras) and ran them all past 100k, and never had to replace an engine. I’m now out 5 grand, and will remember this experience for the rest of my car buying years. I suggest you reflect on this story as well before your next car purchase.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Bought this car as a certified used car when it was 3 years old, in addition bought extended warranty for additional 5 years or 75,000 miles whichever comes first. It just turned 5 this month. Only 2 years into extended warranty, have another 25,000 miles or so left too. Warranty work since purchase included tire air pressure sensors, few minor things. Had been very happy until last week. Took in for regular maintenance to Weaver Volvo in Raleigh, NC, mentioned I'd been smelling a musty/moldy smell when I turn on my a/c after not driving for few days, I suggested maybe the cabin filter needed changing. The service rep found the cabin filter should have been changed as part of my last service there, but was not done.

In addition, they found that my windshield was leaking above the driver's side, and could actually be lifted up from the Inside! Both extended warranty and Volvo refused to fix it, giving me the name of recommended auto glass place, stating it was a "wear" issue. I stated it was not a wear issue, but a manufacturing and or Install issue. Doing my research, I've found lots of Volvo owners complaining about the very same thing! Volvo knows there is a problem, but does nothing about it. When I contacted the auto glass dealer, I was told they will not even attempt just a reseal, because it fails, because the priming on the oem windshield is defective. They receive calls from many Volvo customers with same problem every week. They will only install a new windshield, brand new install due to their experience with Volvo windshields, breaking, and reseal failures. I decided to not deal with another OEM windshield, as the primer issue appears to be ongoing.

I'm very likely to have the same problem... seen other posts where customers have this same issue 2 or 3 times in a row when replacing a Volvo windshield with another Volvo windshield. I'm going with Pilkington, made in the USA, and has not had these problems leaking. It is going to cost me over $500 for a new windshield installation. I'm contacting Regional Service Manager about my discontent. I bought this Volvo because of its reputation for reliability, but I guess those days are over. I owned a Jeep for 22 years before I had to address a windshield leak. Your windshield should not leak at 5 years old. Some people are seeing leaks much earlier too! It's either the primer alone and/or the glue product. I'd been looking to upgrade my Volvo model... don't think I'll do that now. Weaver Volvo and Volvo... so disappointed in you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

This is my fourth, and last Volvo XC70, because it's discontinued. I have a 2015.5 T6, fully loaded and costing $50K. Today I took the car in for a 30K service. They told me that the rear brake pads were worn and the rotors were groves, - $600 fix. Really, this is unacceptable at 30K miles! Get a grip Volvo, you won't keep customers with this shabby warranty.

Resolution response: June 19, 2017

They covered the majority of the repair. I am satisfied.

Original review: June 3, 2017

We have a Volvo XC60. It's not even paid off yet, but we now have at $6500 repair that I'm told is very uncommon for even cars that have 200,000 miles on them let alone 57,000. The dealership claims it's due to "bad gas." We have never ever used anything but premium gasoline. As soon as this is resolved, I'm turning this piece of crap in and leasing a new vehicle. What's the point of owning if you have a $6500 repair before it's even paid off?

Original review: May 3, 2017

We recently ordered a new Volvo V90CC and when it arrived it did not have the option package that we ordered but did have an another, different option package that we did not order or want. Volvo Laval admitted their mistake but could only offer a replacement for delivery in five months. This timing was unworkable for us and, in return for a small discount, we were forced to take the vehicle and pay for the unwanted option package. Volvo Laval's position was "we have to make money on every sale". We appealed to Volvo Canada and their response was "too bad because you accepted the car". Over the years we have purchased a lot of vehicles, some better than others, but this experience of being forced to pay for options that were the result of the Dealer's error is the worst. A very good reason to not deal with Volvo, ever.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

My 2007 Volvo S40 alternator caught on fire and the Volvo dealership said there are no recall for Volvo alternators. Can somebody please let me know the truth. I purchase a new alternator from AutoZone made for a Volvo s40 and it did not work. In addition, the Volvo service department in Greensboro, NC said there was nothing wrong the alternator; however, I need to purchase a Volvo alternator from a dealer. So why does other parts departments use the Volvo name such as AutoZone, Advance Auto when selling Volvo parts? If you have a Volvo 2007 S40, try starting the engine twice and notice your alternator will catch on FIRE.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I found the perfect car online at $31,000.00 with low miles. I went to O'Steen Volvo in Jacksonville FL and drove the car and knew this was my car. I brought my 2007 Convertible Solara (excellent condition) for trade. I came back to dealership, check in hand and found out another $3000 had been added to the bottom line and only $4000 for my trade in. When I said "no something isn't right", I was told, "sorry, nothing we can do," and we left. The next day I called the manager Rex ** and wanted to ask questions about the $3000 and he told me, "it is what it is" and hung up on me. WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT? Just because you can't answer the customer's question, please leave the juvenile attitude at home and put your big boy pants on and act like a man. I have since bought a Mercedes and I am very satisfied but I think people need to know what kind of service to expect at O'Steen Volvo.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I have religiously kept maintenance up to date on this 2012 Volvo XC60. Very happy to have paid it off three weeks ago, and this week diagnosed with the need for a complete value replacement. Although they haven't opened it up yet, where it may need more. Clearly this is an issue with Volvo machinery... At 80k miles who ever needs a 5,000 valve repair? Will fix it, sell it, and lease something else... but have been devastated by the cost. Wondering if Volvo ever "does the right thing" in these circumstances and helps cover... Service Department says, "Service Manager will serve as a liaison with Volvo". Quite vague and unpromising.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

We got the 2016 xc90 last September, got issues with the auto brake and sensors. But the biggest one happened last month that the car locked itself with all my belongings inside, phone, car key, money except my toddler!!! We parked outside for over an hour, turned the engine on, closed the door and walked toward the other side of the door to put my toddler in his car seat then found all door locked!! We were lucky that we found a phone to call my husband to bring his spare key to us and his key didn't work at the beginning either. While we trying to figure out how to open the door manually, it magically unlock itself.

Volvo did a software upgrade and said it will never happen again!! As to our surprise, it did again!! Less than two weeks we got the car back!! Very lucky again that my toddler was with me!! Totally lost our faith to this car!! We bought it coz of their safety and reliability but this car just a total disappointment. After reading all the reviews here, how could Volvo ignore all these issues and still have this car on the market???

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I just have to write something about the Volvo brand and specifically the XC90. Being sold as a luxury SUV but with very thin cheap leather interiors. In addition thin plastic by the side of seats that is prone to splitting. Volvo really should do something about this if they intend to charge what they do for these high end vehicles.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I bought a V70XC Beautiful car/showroom condition. That was it. It has been nothing short of a money pit, a nightmare I wake up to everyday and a constant enemy. I have replaced the transmission 2 times and 1 engine in less than 40K miles. A myriad of sensors failed that NO ONE can diagnose. The dealership is 70 miles away and NO ONE will work on them. ALL mechanics run when I pull up. Immediately telling me they don't work on them. It has literally spent more time on the back of a tow truck than on the road. If I didn't have my ANGELS I know this car would have already killed me. It has failed to accelerate in the WORST possible times, intersections, pulling into traffic etc.

There's just no words to express my anger toward VOLVO and SWEDEN without corrupting my soul. I once owned the YUGO in the 1980's and I have often wished I had it back compared to this total Mechanical and Engineering Mistake of the Century. My problems are typical I discovered. I didn't get just a lemon, apparently that is all they made. If you buy one after reading these reviews then you deserve it. I bought another car yesterday and it's NOT a Volvo and I will never look at them the same. I pity anyone I see in one. But that's not often. I don't see them on the road often.

Thank God I am free of that BEAST of burden. Now I actually look forward to driving since I got another car. I dreaded even having to drive it to the store. Owning it probably took 10 years off my life too. Good Riddance Volvo. I hope you bankrupt. Shame on the Swedens for making such a horrible, horrible piece of junk. OH, did I mention the fact I only put 50,000 miles on it? AND about 50,000 dollars in it.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I bought my son a used Volvo less than a year ago. It's been in the shop nearly every single month. After driving it only 4,000 miles it needed a new engine, new front bearings, new oil trap and on and on. I'm at $5,000 in repairs and all they say is "gee that's not normal for Volvo." I complained about the car to the sales person months ago with no response. I posted a complaint and the service manager called to offer $500 towards repairs but that doesn't explain how this many serious things can be wrong with a car driven such few miles. It was sold heavily on the fact that Orloff exclusively serviced the car and it was in top shape. Every month to service and every month a new serious problem. I'm stuck with a junker and out $16k. Fraudulent sales practice.

Volvo Company Information