2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Volvo

Volvo
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Volvo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Well, the car IS denim blue. That's a little joke. Bought this car via overseas delivery program. That went as well as it could I suppose. The OSD US headquarters in New Jersey has ONE staff person in a call center and she is over worked. Took days for her to respond to our calls and overall we grade her a D to C. The wait to finally receive the car was long, 9 months for us. Our choice not Volvo's problem. We kept telling ourselves "We're saving so much money." We are solid middle class and but for me giving in to my wife and us having on investment pool available for her to spend, we wouldn't have the car. The latter is my preference.

The two star rating doesn't just reflect on car but the unnecessary dealer delays all along the way to present and continuing. My 2014 Honda CRV is superior in many ways to "big blue." Better paint job, straight forward and easy access to mechanicals of the engine and engine bay components, simple well designed cabin controls, lack of complicated car computer system. It is "plug and play" so to speak unlike the Volvo where we really should take a class on how to operate the center display with it's myriad functions.

Right away soon after delivery and receipt of the car I noticed a failed seal on a passenger side read tail light, the small one mounted on the trunk lid. Moisture is clearly present all along the light lense. Ok....small thing but a first in life for me and I am age 69. Second, the wheel lug nut cover removal tool was not put in the car at the factory. I think the interior cabin key has yet to be found. The hood latch on the driver's side began sticking. The hood can be opened but a second pull on the front hood release is needed.

The steering feel of the car is artificial and does not inspire confidence about absolute control. Now I am left unsure about what other little gremlins will surface. We bought a car before that turned out to be a lemon, our first luxury car. The V is the second. Will it turn yellow? The suspense is very bothersome. I have a lot of automotive repair and maintenance experience since age 16 including engine re-building. There is almost nothing on this car I can maintain myself so here come the bills!

Volvo makes very odd and impractical decisions about placement/access to functions in the engine bay. Coolant reservoir is very difficult to read level as the tank is buried in a chamber! Similarly the brake fluid reservoir top is even buried more in a chamber. I like the car's exterior design, the seats, the interior, the transmission (so far), the "peppy" engine (although the long term effects of direct injection worry me) and on balance natural aspiration is superior, at least for me.

All in all I would not recommend Volvo cars. I recommend something when it is perfect. This car is far from it and that is worrisome for what we will spend on its "care and feeding." Volvo cars are a dealers dream. It reminds me more of the very average to below average American made junk. Yeah they may look nice but.... watch out here come repair bills! Don't buy one!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

There are a lot of good safety features, however, there are also other cars that have similar ones that are cheaper in price. Also, if you have a problem Volvo Corporation is terrible to deal with. They have no compassion and read from a script.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

We are completely disgusted with Volvo corp and local Ft Myers Volvo for taking our situation like a joke. We were treated terribly at the dealership this last time after a 4 year long battle with our XC90 lemon, that wasn’t recognized by you guys as a lemon. This last time your dealership said we needed a $13,000 engine due to inside damage, which was NOT the case at all. It just needed 1 $80 cylinder change. And then they had the audacity to offer a trade-in value for our car at the ridiculous low price of $9,000. HA what a joke you guys are. I'm sooo glad I'm not an idiot, as I got WAY more than that somewhere else and didn’t have to fork over $13,000 on a complete LIE. This dealership lies, service sucks and has been reported. I will never drive another Volvo or ever recommend one.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I'm writing you in frustration and disappointment as to the very poor customer treatment I've received from Volvo USA. I've many emails on file, between us which cover the situation. It has to do with an engine fire to our 2009 S80. This was well documented in a recall of this car and model year. Our Volvo did catch engine fire due to the exact circumstances as outlined in the 2009 recall. Volvo agents inspected the car, it’s obvious the car fire is precisely as described in the recall!

I sent Volvo service records and a complete CarFax history, proving this car has been impeccably maintained exclusively by authorized Volvo dealers. I’ve accumulated a lot of data, that IN FACT our model and year WAS on Federal recall lists for this exact situation. Our Volvo is a total loss. The engine fire left it with no useful value to anyone. We need to buy another car but unable to afford one at this time. I appeal to you to find us a way through this loss.

++++++++++

FYI: Volvo Recall R214: Engine Cooling Fan Module/Johnson Electric - 2009 Volvo S80. This situation may result in loss of cooling system function and engine failure. The driver may not have sufficient time to react to the warning light(s) or the text message in the instrument panel, increasing the risk of a crash. Engine And Engine Cooling — Cooling System — Fan. Volvo is recalling 17,614 MY 2008-2009 S80, V70, and XC70 vehicles. The engine cooling fan may stop working due to a software programming error in the fan control module (FCM). Summary: On certain passenger and sport utility vehicles, under certain operating conditions, some electric cooling fans may overheat potentially causing heat damage and, in rare instances, a fire in the engine compartment. Consequence A FIRE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT COULD OCCUR.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

After trying to work through an ongoing issues with the Volvo Car "concierge" (Customer service) they began to protract their response times. It was only when we introduced legal representation to them that they escalated the matter with no result. Buyer warning: Volvo is aware of the issues with the Volvo Car subscription product and knowingly ignores them. The customer service gave little to no assistance.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Just be prepared for HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Some Volvo’s have a known issue for over a year with changing the radio station, my XC90 included that is under warranty. Volvo has known and not done anything to remedy my issue for over 6 months and to make matters worse do not effectively communicate as I wait for 6 weeks after each call for a reply to Volvo’s corporate customer service, which still has not offered any remedy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Four months after purchasing my 2019 XC90 (previous service loaner) from the Santa Ana, CA dealership a spontaneous crack appeared on my windshield starting from the top of the windshield and radiating downward from the middle where the rearview mirror/sensory console is housed. This crack occurred while parked in my driveway at home. I reviewed security cameras to confirm no foreign object had made contact with the car or windshield. I read about a similar experience online in Los Angeles with the crack originating in the same place and also without any indication of impact.

I opened a claim with Volvo. They had me drive to the dealership to have a service advisor inspect it. Ironically, on the drive over for the inspection the windshield was struck by some kind of pebble or debris on the freeway. This was very obvious to me, I saw and heard the impact. As a result, my claim was denied, they claimed the crack originated as a result of the impact. I had allowed a couple of weeks go by before getting into the dealership and took pictures of the affected windshield as soon as I noticed the crack had appeared and at multiple other intervals to capture different periods of time and changes prior to going in. I had a dozen pictures, from different times, all prior to the day of the visit (and impact) as well as pictures from the day of the inspection and impact.

In my communications with Volvo customer care team I asked for my pictures to be reviewed since they clearly corroborated my assertions. I explained, in great detail, what I observed that happened, provided similar cases I researched, offered more than enough evidence. Given the impact marks that are clearly visible in the pictures on the day of the inspection, and not present prior to, in addition to the location of the start of the crack and how it spread, it's quite obvious that the impact point was not where the crack originated but I feel that Volvo was not interested in doing the work or putting in the time to make this right. They seemed more interested in maintaining the original decision, which was made without a complete review of all the information that I tried to present.

I followed up by providing all of the pictures and explanation to substantiate my claim, requested a appeal with a detail account of the information I observed and was providing and a received a simple three sentence response saying sometimes customer don't agree with their decisions and there is nothing they can do about that. You'd think a company of this caliber would strive for better customer service, especially considering this is a $75k vehicle to a new customer. Needless to say I will never purchase from Volvo again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Wheel fell off New XC60 at 580 miles. Driving on the freeway at rush hour, probably doing 30 MPH the front driver's side wheel departed the car. I drove safely off the highway and the wheel didn’t hit any other vehicles. Volvo USA claimed no responsibility, the dealer sent me away with no support. Repairs cost just over $6400. Volvo USA’s FSR said if the wheel wasn’t properly torqued it would have failed with 10 miles. Volvo San Diego stated that they DID NOT check wheel lug torque during Pre Delivery Inspection.

Volvo San Diego’s service manager John ** told me that the FSR checked all the lug nuts remaining on the car and they were all “torqued perfectly” - this is improbable since at the scene of the failure I thought I might put the spare on and drive to the dealer - I removed one lug nut on each of the passenger side wheels - when I actually saw the damage on the drivers side I realized what a stupid idea it was and put them back on the car - but the chances I put those two nuts back on at 105 ft lbs with the tiny lug wrench in the car “perfectly” are extremely remote.

Mr ** also said they could only get one of the 5 lug nuts on the hub that failed to torque properly, but this damage was due only damage at the time the wheel left the car. I would ask how did they determine this give they didn’t check before delivering the car. I asked Volvo USA to provide the calibration records for the equipment used to install the wheels at the factory in China for the time of assembly. They didn’t even respond to this request - except to acknowledge it was received. I believe Volvo did not properly investigate this incident, they failed to properly back their product and their dealer let me down as a customer by totally ignoring this failure and to my knowledge they still don’t do a basic safety inspection of checking torque on lug nuts before allowing customers to drive away.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Has anyone else experienced premature brake wear on their Volvo (we have 2018 XC90). We were advised at 30,000 gentle driven km's that we need new rotors and pads. When we questioned the dealership on this they told us that 'Volvo brakes aren't meant to last like the other manufacturers'. They claim it's for safety reasons, we don't agree, nor do the multiple mechanics (some Volvo mechanics) we have talked to since. Would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing this as well as it is a concern.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Hard to believe but it happened twice and at a standstill on our Mclean VA driveway with nobody in the car: At one year interval my wife's beautiful white V90 lowered a window by itself under thunderstorm (lightning and thunder) conditions; the first time a neighbor spotted the opened window before the rain and the window was closed subsequently. The second time, very recently, while we were at home a downpour storm dropped 5 inches of rain in one hour, and the driver's side window was fully down. My wife is like a cat, any air current is a no-no and that driver's side window was lowered only once for a once in a lifetime first interview with a state trooper.

Needless to say, the car floor was full of water and we mopped as much as we could. The next day, my wife went out for an errand, no problem. The next day, being out of town, I got the call that the car could not get out of park. The car had to be towed to a Volvo dealership where I was asked to lay out $1,000 for removing the carpets and look at the "modules", plenty of them apparently and in the most unreasonably exposed locations. No way Jose! Making a fuss with Volvo Care in NJ headquarters, the exploration started at no cost. The fact that outside influences intervened was the reason why the warranty on the car would not apply.

The fact that a window rolled down without human intervention was something that was not in their book of defects. To make a long story short, the car is at the dealership to be assessed by an insurance adjuster and this is where the shocking bit is: Volvo cars finds comfort in the fact that we buy comprehensive policies to protect the car and others and that an unhappy occurrence resulting from defective electronics (can be hardware and software) is passed on to the general public through the mutual insurance premium system. This was not the ways of the Swedish Volvo company. Volvo has become a Chinese owned company and new models can reach 65% made in China. Readout the details when you go shopping for a new Volvo model or simply don't. I was a Volvo fan and still am driving my 2012 XC70.

The new Volvo's resale value are plummeting for good reason. I feel sorry for the Volvo dealerships although the amount of expensive repairs is good business for the time being. My last Volvo will be a 2015, last year of the real T6, meaning 6 cylinders not the new souped up 4 cylinders given the same designation for making the same over 300 ponies: but for how long? Faith is something to be maintained and cultivated; Volvo Cars is missing in its mission: no more half million milers.

Volvo Company Information